Speaker 1: And where we go here.
Speaker 2: Anything you have a chance against ours? Mister cowboy? Hey mother, what do you like to do? Oh?
Speaker 3: I know what?
Speaker 1: Play chess?
Speaker 4: Screw When there's play chess, they.
Speaker 5: Give off that. Jonathan Taylor, Chuck cunning gets way cooking.
Speaker 1: The goal line.
Speaker 6: He's in there.
Speaker 5: What's down and why? Jonathan Taylor ler us.
Speaker 1: Here's haliburn into the front court, mishandled it mcgin city shot.
Speaker 5: He finds it. John, I have never been better to be on the air with you here in Indianapolis, a place where so many of my dreams have come true.
Speaker 1: The ride with jmvy on ninety three five and one oh seven.
Speaker 5: Five the Fan.
Speaker 7: As we reflected on last season, this one phrase just kept coming to my mind, and that was find a way. And so that was the mantra that we settled on kind of for this season. And I know and believe on our roster and in our organization we have everything we need this year to get where.
Speaker 5: We need to go Carly orsee Gordon a little bit earlier today, and that is how we start to show. Listen, you're in a position where you have to believe in what you have because simply put you have no alternative, because if you did, you would not be sitting in this situation right now. Guaranteed you would have tried something new, you would have moved on. You have no choice. And again the dictated terms happened during the NFL trade deadline when you brought in Sauce Gardner. I get it. You believe in your team and they were playing well, and you bring in a corner, but in the process you end up shedding a couple of first rounders this past year and next year to where you leave yourself no alternative but to find out exactly what's going to go down coming up this year, you got none. There are so many different ways to look at this. And we're gonna talk to Zach Kicks for the first time on this show a little bit later on. He's the guy I've heard before. I think he's been on when Derek Schultz has hosted for me. And it's one of those situations where I don't know why I haven't had him on, because we've obviously been diving into lockdown colts before. I don't know why I haven't had him on. But for the first time, we're going to have him on today at four and I think he and I agree on a couple of things, and it does ultimately come down to the health of your team at certain positions. That's when it comes down too. But it's going to be even more magnified this season with the Colts because you look around and there are so many questions and honestly, so many questions you can ask about positions that are vital and you wonder. You love going into a season to where you know and you feel good about certain subjects. Meaning you're going to get sideswiped by crap, but you're able to absorb that crap because you feel certain in other areas. Now there is a certainty going in. I'll give you a great example of it. If you're looking at the Colts, you would think, with all that is invested at corner and what you have, that that is a certainty. But face it, it is far from a certainty because you have to add if they remain healthy, and that has been a question mark. We're talking about two dudes that are really good at their craft and their possession. Make no mistake about it, Sharvarius Ward and Sauce Gardner are two of the best at that position. But it comes down to are you going to be able to buy whether or not they remain healthy, and there has been evidence in the past that shows you that they've been unable to remain healthy. So when you're looking across this roster, where's the camp miss Jonathan Taylor probably got to keep that guy happy. I don't know if that means I would assume this. With the way that Jonathan Taylor has acted so far in camp, it seems like that there is going to be some sort of deal, some sort of Rais extension, something is going to be on the inbound. And it's still incredibly weird the way that the Colts and Chris Ballard are handling this. You know, I get it, there are things that we don't really know too much about. Another example, you look at this Colts wide Receiving Corps. You have Alec Pearce, who you have given a raise an extension, and you're going to put so much on his shoulders and a lot of which he has been unable to show so far. Big plays absolutely stretching the field, certainly, but how about the other stuff that matters too? There's other stuff that matters in this. So you look around at the wide receiving room. How do you feel about it? You have a team around thirty plus million dollars in space to navigate. Doesn't make you wonder why you haven't because if listen, I understand that they see and believe something that we don't. But I'll be damned over the past ten years if we haven't been right about a lot of the situations where they haven't. So that's the reason why we share dialogue. We talk about it, and we feel confident that our particular opinion. While I understand, I'm we're we're amateurs. For lack of a better description, we are jackasses. We're a lot of jackasses. But at the same time, it's not like that they have said, well, see, we've told you this is going to be great. They haven't told us really anything, or at least shown us really anything, you know, anything that would persuade us that what we've been talking about over the years and certain situations have been inaccurate and been rabble rousing, or simply put, have been just incredibly wrong. Thus, you know, here we are, and I think again, so magnificant reasons why you should look at this and go all right. So, if this is going to be the final season. You know, Chris Ballo didn't want to sign an extension because you got to win right now. And you look at the wide receiving room or the corps or you know the personnel that are out there, go get you somebody. I mean, how the Niners went back and got somebody that they used to have. They brought him back, which does shallow the pool. Maybe they didn't have any interest in Deebo Samuel. Maybe Deebo Samuel was done, but it was like seven million dollars with what they have to spend, Who the hell cares? And so much of it about is this And I say this regarding basketball all the time. I'm gonna make a comparison here with the Pacers and the Miles Turner argument I always had when people say, you know what, he's not as good at blocking shots anymore. He wasn't as good this season shooting the three. You know what he was he was a threat. He was a threat. You went, oh, there's Miles Turner out there. So if my ass dribbles on the interior here, I may want to look out. I need somebody in the rearview here because I don't know if he's coming at it. I mean, he may be down in blocks per game, but the threat of that is still there. He may not be shooting forty percent from distance, but the threat is still there. You have to go out and get a hand up, or at the very least, you have to show a little bit of recognition. How much recognition is going to be shown with this group, and that is going to be a group when you look at the quarterback coming off an injury, no matter what you think, you look at what you're going to count on and Jonathan Taylor, and really that should be the loan given right now. You may add in Tyler Warren, but the loan reel. All right, we gotta stay up at night because we're thinking about this situation is going to be Jonathan Taylor. And you look around the NFL, and teams have a lot more of what you need to think about than the Colts. That's how we end up here. So getting back to Carly Ursa Gordon, I'm incredibly glad that she believes in this because you have to and they honestly are forced into having to believe this. Hopefully it's not a false belief because we've been driven down this path of false belief before and frankly everybody's a little bit worn out on it. Hopefully that works all right, Colts camp a little bit earlier today, we'll go over that Zach Hich for the first time from Lockdown. Colts will join us coming up in the four o'clock hour. Adam Rittenberg, It was funny. The most noted dialogue from any coach so far in the college football media days has been that of Kurt Signetti. Well done, and that's exactly how it should be. It is difficult, especially if you're somebody that wants two things in mind here. If you don't want to be coached, it may be different. But if you want to be coached and you believe in the success and the way that you're led in that capacity, you can understand why it would be really easy to want to follow Kurt Signetti. He just kind of got that. He got the dialogue down. I mean, he got it all and obviously the end result is that of winning its results in general, but he just got that stuff to where you go, a, yeah, you know what, that's a dude that I could follow. I truly get it. I get it why he's had success why he had success even prior to Bloomington. The one thing I would love to know is how you operate in terms of your selection process, especially in this era, this world of nil, when you have money to spend, but you still have to be logical in the form and the fashion of which you spend it. But that is a niche that has been spectacular so far for him, no doubt about that. But the Chicago stuff from Kurt Signetti was outsteading, in particular the part about you know, I've been on vacation long enough taking orders from my wife. Now I want to hand out orders. That's beautiful, beautiful, and all that comes to those that find that level of success. Adam Rittenberg, not just about IU, but the entirety of the Big Ten. There is so much to get into with the Big Ten. We kind of scratched the surface. Pete and Nakos joined us a couple of days ago. Zach Osterman yesterday from Chicago. We really haven't got involved with everybody else, but you have coaching situations that are new at Michigan, at Penn State, at Michigan State, and nose dive into that we're going to do. You've got five years now going into and Lincoln Riley USC where it's time to get something done. Speaking of time to get something done, they have been really good, but you kind of wonder what Dante More at quarterback, where Oregon finally is going to put itself. Is it time to really have that massive breakthrough. And then Purdue obviously just trying to fight their way from the bottom. A lot of interesting storylines going on in the Big Ten. Adam Rittenberg of ESPN on ESPN dot compl joined us coming up in the five o'clock hour. I mentioned this a little bit earlier. I think our station sent out a video. You guys can help me out a video of me talking about it. I kind of laugh about this because last time out, Kaitlyn Clark was really good, Kelsey Mitchell was really good, the fever really good, and most people say, well, it's the Seattle Storm and they stink. And while you're right about that, they had a red hot player and that was a team that hung around, hung with the fever not too long ago here in Indy. So to come out of the All Star break, I just thought the fever looked different, and I hope that that holds true. Later on tonight against the Portland Fire, but it was a team that just looked different. That to me was the signature moment so far of how this squad needs to look or how this team lives up to expectations, because that's what it's all about, the expectations. I thought Caitlin Clark was so good what thirty two and seven, And what that shows me is she's going out there and getting hers she's knocking down from distance. The shots she's stepping into from distance aren't looking like the heaves that they did. It looks like I am stepping into this son of a gun, and I'm stepping into this confidently. It didn't look like a heave. And there you're also going to find a difference in those that are talking about it, that describe her game and three point shooting, because there are a lot of people out there that think it's great when she's like one of ten. As long as that want is from thirty feet, all right, nobody cares. That sucks. Seriously, Listen, I'll applaud the one time in ten you hit it from thirty feet, but I'll take the time when you shoot forty percent from distance. That's what matters. That's what helps you win. And you know, when you get thirty plus and your team scores one hundred plus and then you look at the stat line and you dish out seven dimes. In the process, you're also getting everybody else involved. And remember that was a lot of that game without Eli at Boston, so probably even more magnified in that case if she were to play the entirety of the game. But to me, even above that and how they're playing it again, I think that was the signature game we've made. Been asking whether or not they're going to turn the corner or whatever cliche sports wise you want to use for a team that hasn't lived up to expectations and now you believe it's time to do so. But what I love about it is it quittes everybody down. And what I like most about Caitlin Clark is is what she says. Now, you guys, some of you guys like her when she's one of ten from thirty feet, that's not my favorite thing. My favorite thing is somebody that it just goes out there and wants to play and wants to compete. Now, in situations on the floor, you don't want to get that next technical because you don't want to compromise yourself for a game. You just don't. You're way, way, way too important. However, the fight, the competing, that's what I love, and the fact that you just concentrate on basketball living in the WorldWind of jack assery that surrounds everything that she does. And the best part about what took place on Tuesday night in that game in Seattle and again hopefully that's carry over to tonight because they got a big one coming up on Sunday, I mean a large one, is that it squashes so much of that ridiculous, dumbass dialogue that we have to go through constantly. All the other stuff, and I'm talking about the stuff that is on the fringe, not even basketball related, or the stuff regarding Kaitlin Clark and her teammates and her head coach. Hey, I get it. I get that the WNBA is at times will be jacking around to the point where you go, what are you guys doing? But when it comes down to basketball and has played like that, that's exactly what you want to see, Kim. They be better defensively, there's no question about it, improving of the categories that they struggled early in the season or earlier in the season when the ward is good. Turnover category and they beat a team on Tuesday night that turned the build over four times, Seattle turned it over four times. So turnovers defense, which has to improve still, and then fouling not fouling as much. Those are situations that absolutely have to improve. I think that coincides with the improvement of this team. I think her health and the way that she feels coincides with the way this team plays. And then I think when they play that well, it squashes so much of that crap that has to be absolutely exhausting. There's not a lot of things I talk about in what I do in terms of well that's exhausting to me, because listen, I'm not working at Jackhammer. I'm not out of the fields working, I'm not putting up pay, I'm not doing anything like a lot of you do on a daily basis out there. So there's really nothing I'm exhausted about. Yeah, I'm sitting here in a chair yip yapping about sports right now. That's not exhausting. I don't care. Regardless of what you're talking about. I'm not exhausted by it. But it does tend when it's rapid fire and it's constant, and you're the one of the crosshairs and you're the one that's constantly being talked about. Even if you don't pay attention, I mean, it does. It comes across your desk more than you think. Because we just can't get out of the way. I mean, hell, I'd like to think that this X account that I have would be able to keep me from reading all these jackass political things here because there's something I'm going to go to it right now, Caleb, it says hey for you, let me tell you this. With all due respect to Andrew Ireland, I don't give two craps what he says. I don't know what that's not for me? Was it on there? Well, you know what I mean, And nothing against him. I'm just using him as an example or I don't care what Micah Beckwood has to say, but all of a sudden, it's for me. What I'm trying to tell you is it is virtually impossible unless you shut it all down, and I mean all of it down, to get out of the way. And what you end up doing when you play well and you reach or exceed the expectations. You squash all that dialogue because then you have those without claws, without fangs that can no longer go and try to use you as a tuning fork to hopefully get more hits, to get more clicks to your brand. This isn't my brand. Yeah, well, if your brand is a jackass, then well done. There's virtually no way to get around it unless you shut it all down. And as I mentioned, it's easy for me or you to sit here and tell them that. I mean, hell, it's easy. I'm fifty six, what the hell do I care? But for somebody in their twenties, and you know, with that notoriety all this, it's virtually impossible. But man, you do yourself and your team such a service when you go out there and you just bowl and in the process you kick ass and you just bowl more of that, hopefully coming up later on tonight. Seriously, you look at the lack coming out of the All Star Break, really the lack of any criticism, and not everybody, and we're talking about Fever fans or Kaitlin Clark fans that go crazy. You don't get arrest. You don't get arrest until some of these non basketball knowing jackasses don't have anything to discuss or talk about. And that's what Tuesday Night did, and hopefully that's what tonight does because you got a big one. And believe me, the ultimate Gauge and Hoop will be coming up on Sunday at one o'clock with the Minnesota Lynx Olivia Miles, who is a baller. Speaking of baller, Caleb Zuver is here now. I want to ask you this. So I come in from our pre show meeting this time because Nigel, I think, is on vacation. Me and Jason Hammer and john Ette Cruz ninety three wibc apple of me. Right now, we go for our pre show meeting. You said I have stuff to do, and then I get back and you look like Zeke the cat. The way that you're feeding on some barbecue. Where's this barbecue from? Well, I kind of tell the audience first.
Speaker 3: The way you like backed away from me as I was eating it as I crouched on the ground five minutes before the show started made me laugh. It was like I was a feral rodent of some sort, just non on it.
Speaker 5: Seriously, I thought that was that was a buzzard on the side of the road like apossum macarcass I go, what are you doing here? You were down on all fours like feeding from the bowl.
Speaker 4: I was. It is our friend Nathaniel.
Speaker 3: He has a a buddy named Tony who every Friday and Saturday, I believe he cooks some barbecue, has a couple side options, and so every once in a while on Friday, isn't they don't hit me up like you want some barbecue?
Speaker 4: I say yeah every time because it's really good.
Speaker 5: What do we know where they give the guy some props, the people some props.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's out and speedway uh in Speedway barbecue.
Speaker 5: Do you know the name? It's he runs it out of his backyard. Really, he just barbecue. Holy hell? So when did you get this diro foam container that looked professional as hell right there?
Speaker 4: They wrap it and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he buys all that stuff and prepares it and puts it together.
Speaker 4: And then I beautiful like a buzzard.
Speaker 3: You tell me buzzard is more of what I was, and not a fair o cat. I think buzzard. You did say frail cat and that was weird.
Speaker 5: That was hey, By the way, tonight, I am skeptical about us hooping on Sunday because there's an old man tournament going on at the ARC with a hell of a lot of teams.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 5: So our good friend, our mutual friend that we play with, Mike landis put in our text stream this morning, our our text group, you know, asking me if I wanted to play, and I figured it was to be with him, and I go, yeah, i'll play, I'll do it, you know. And then I get all hardcore and I go, I'll play anywhere, at any time, and I'm flexing, right, And then he says, all right, well you're playing. And I'm not even playing with him. I'm not playing with anybody I know. So there's zero way I'm not going to be injured tonight. Now, I guess I'm playing with some dudes from Florida that are flying in at nine thirty tonight at the ARC.
Speaker 4: It's a primetime tip off, man.
Speaker 5: You know, how incredibly drum I'm going to. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, because sometimes it's a good thing. Yeah, but yeah, I just go, what nine thirty? But I agreed to play, So I'm going to play and there's some dudes from Florida and evidently they only had four and like a couple of more are coming tomorrow. I can't play tomorrow night, obviously because of the Jambi tickover, but I think we're going to be the Furious five out there and it's all like officials and this is normally. I'm not going to suggest this is a case right now. I've never been there and played. It's a tremendous facility, and really the ARC is a south side facility, as I mentioned yesterday, that is so incredibly needed. But history will reflect this always. These situations don't end well for me because I don't deal well with on court Gus macer like pissing and moaning and yelling and yapping. I don't deal well with that at all. Like I yap, but I yap about me like my yap, I motivate my like I'm cussing me. I don't ever get on anybody else, well unless Rick Clark's Jerry picking down on the other end. You throw it to him. But no, that's the only thing that I ever gripe about. And these situations, I hope that it's not Gus macer ask because I rinsed out of that years ago, so hopefully not that that became nuts.
Speaker 3: It's only five of you. There's no subs oh Man, not left, not unless Mike Gut cliffy Cliffe can go out and hurt some dudes.
Speaker 2: YEAHO.
Speaker 3: I just think that people should really know, if they don't already, that you are.
Speaker 4: You are all about hoop man.
Speaker 3: Love you just at any time you are going to take up the opportunity.
Speaker 5: I love it, and part of it is to me. And while I love basketball and there's no lion here, I love basketball, I also do it because that is my workout regimen, my workout regiment because I think running sucks. I've always felt that running itself individual running and if you do it, good for you. But any time I ever had to run in my existence, I had to pay the price of a punishment. That's why I was running. Thus I've never liked it. Oh yeah, you know, John got bad grades. He's got to run. Hey, John was out too late, He's got to run. Well, John did this in practice, He's got to run. John. It was always me having to run and somebody else telling me that I had to run. So I think running sucks. I think running. I view running and my son, at Ron Colly was across country and a distance runner, and I thought I thought that he was a maniac. I go, I don't know where this comes from here, but because I always preach like this is sucks, this is awful, but he did it, and I I don't like it. So this is my workout regiment. And knowing that what I got to play on Sunday likely I got to get something in this weekend. So it's going to be tonight at nine thirty at the Arc.
Speaker 4: You run the floor, though.
Speaker 5: I run run the floor. I four well. And the thing that I've noticed too, especially younger, that's what you have to do when I play against because how old are you? Say, I'm fifty six and a half. So you have to do that against the younger generation. And if you do that against the older generation, they half asset. So that's an advantage. I know, half ass. Like Wednesday night, there was some half ass in getting back on d I wouldn't worry about that one, but no, it and the problem is, and I said, hey, I wan't plan on a team that runs any old ass half court offense. Let's get out and go and the reason being is I have to have that on both ends because if I spend more than like three seconds defensively, I am screwed. I can't guard anybody, nobody. I'm like a half a step left and a half a step right, and hopefully there's some hopefully there's some help, because I'm blanked. I'm completely blanked. I wish I could move. I don't know what half of my lateral movement never was incredible, but it's awful now. So I don't know what that is about. I guess age. I guess lateral movement problematic. But hey, shout out again. And the Arc, if you haven't heard, is a brand new facility that is opening up on the south side, right off of Stone's Crossing and one thirty five that is spectacular. And with south siders, you understand that this has been a long time coming because there have not been a place down there to do that, to get stuff going like that. And on the north side, you guys have everything. You've got Finch Creek, You've got I think it's mojo now, I don't know what it is. You got the Pacers facility, you got all those great facilities. And now on the south side, you have the arc, which is state of the art. I'd be me nine thirty later on tonight, and we'll see what type of tremendous condition or lack thereof I'm in this evening. All right, State Fair passes too. I do want to get to the zone. We talked about that a couple of days ago with Austin Karp of the Sports Business Journal. This is a quick reminder to the Pacers and those involved with the decision making, and maybe that decision has already made. The zone better be deffordable, because if it's not deffordable, then you're going to lose fans. So I hope that this is not a situation like the is gonna go with it. You're the Colts. This better be a tremendous opportunity, and not just any port in the storm. True, And this is not just for the Pacers, the Spurs or in this as well, the New York teams. The defending champs are in this. Stop jacking with the fans, because the fans are sick and tired of being jacked with, especially monetarily. All right, if you want to spend, spend, all right, but there's gonna be a cap on any fan base, not just this one. With the amount they spend, it better be cost efficient and nothing, and I mean nothing the way that it looks at just to the eyeballs right like thirty four thirty five dollars a month. Seriously, as they say in Southern Indiana, ain't nobody doing that. Don't run people off, especially now when there is so much promise, so much opportunity, so much interest. Don't run people off with a product that's too ridiculously expensive to view the content. Talk about that coming up a little bit later on too. Zach Kix is going to join us. Debbie Antonelli, one of my favorites, is going to be on the show Fever Television Analysts, coming up at four thirty, and Adam Rittenberg talks college football and the Big Ten specifically coming up at the five o'clock. Howur State Fair passes as well? That's Caleb, I'm John, thank you for joining us. Are we weather active? We do not have a weather update. It is clouding up, it is still hot, it is still humid, rain and storms on the inbound. Consider yourself Weather updated ninety three to five and one seven five The Fan.
Speaker 1: The Ride with jmv.
Speaker 8: Oh you got jokes to go along with that ugly jumpsy out of yours.
Speaker 1: Notty three five and one oh seven five the fan, Damn run I do. Caleb's over there.
Speaker 5: I'm John. Caleb had some backyard barbecue a little bit earlier, just literally from somebody's backyard and speedway, but he enjoyed it a great deal. Dam v thanks for the good laugh opening up the show. I refuse to believe culture management of the words. Actions have proven those words to be false. That's the other thing, too, is so much has been said and so much has not been lived up to to this point. You just kind of do you remember, though, the moment in Major League? How can I put this without offending somebody who knows the moment in Major League where they take a shot over the press box. Caleb, have you seen the movie Major League?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: And all the riders up there are doing this, and you guys can see it right now. This seriously, when most of the time when the Colts are talking about expectations and what they're going to do, this is exactly what everybody's doing. And it's not that you're trying to be a jackass. It's not that you're trying to be funny. I'm not trying to be funny. I can just tell you because I have the pulse of the fan base, this is what they believe. That is they ah, yeah whatever, And this is not the first year of it. Now they do have a little bit to go on. Now we'll see coming back from an achilles injury. But the offense was exceptional until the quarterback was injured. Now the quarterback is coming off an injury. The wide receiver got paid and is coming off surgery. There now is going to be more knowledge of Hey, that's not Daniel Jones, who beat out one of the more inaccurate passers we've ever seen draft at number four overall in the NFL draft history, and Anthony Richardson, it's more than just that Neil. Now there is like even more tape on Daniel Jones and Shane Steichen together and how to start that if you remember, even before that injury, when they go to Pittsburgh. And I know Pittsburgh has always been problematic and likely will be again this year, but Pittsburgh looked like that they had one hell of a defensive diagnosis. And what the culture tried to do a year ago. But there are a lot of things you have to overcome. But I think I can speak for the fan base out there, there's nothing that dal this is your enthusiasm because frankly, you're just ready for the season to start. But when somebody over there talks about this is what we're gonna do, and this is what we believe, you guys are giving us the Major League the imitation dolphin flog, this is what you're doing, and that the way you get away from that is proof is results. Corey writes this, of all important things you can learn in high school and college, it's alarming how nobody ever lectures on the absence of basic lateral movement after the age of thirty five. That's so true. I'm thirty eight, and anytime I move laterally, my knees sound like jiffy pop. So here's what's funny. They always say, when you defensive slide, right, you don't hop, you slide. I'm at a point right now where I almost can gain more ground when I hop and not slide. You guys ever do defensive drills back in the day, and hey, you gotta slide. Hey you're hopping. You gotta keep your butt down and slide. Yeah, I would always be hopping. Thus I would have to be punished and then run, another reason why I hate running. But now it's almost like I'm gonna go ahead and gain more ground if I hop instead of slide. It's kind of weird how that happens, but it is, on the other hand, incredibly true. Right there. Hey, jam Vy, I understand the Colts started out hot last season, but look at the first half of the schedule, nothing but cupcakes outside of Denver, Maddy, Matt. You can add that to the equation too. There is a lot to overcome, and as I've always put it, there was just so much of crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. Simply put, if they were to have first round options, they probably would not be going down this path right now. They would have rinsed it and started. But you were just kind of forced to roll with it. And here you are. And those are just facts. That's not anything I'm just making up or saying for the sake of saying it. Those are facts. Thank you, Greg Harrison for the kind words right there. I appreciate that. Hey, back to the Pacers and Desonne for a minute. We're not completely concrete sure that that's going to be the case. But I would again advise, we have a lot of people that look at the price tag right now before we know absolutely they think and they're not digging it. You got to be really careful, really careful. You cannot be running people off. BT writes this, I've been and will always be a Pacers fan, fell in love with them as a kid of the nineteen seventies. If they think for one minute I'm going to pay thirty five dollars a month to watch the games, they've lost their minds. In my fifty five years a Pacers fandom, I've never been this disappointed. Well, I would suggest, I'm not sure. Is there anything concrete that suggests that that's going to be the price tag that there has to be. I'm more financially responsible for your fan base and the viewer's way to approach this. There's zero way that you can roll that out and expect people to be watching now. Granted, I want you to listen to the radio boil, but I'll be watching Christen Aar and Quinn and Eddie and JJ. We all want to watch. But I would concur with the fact that you would not be the only one here bt that would be incredibly pissed about it. I don't think you could have enough watch parties to satisfy. But again, we don't know the context, if indeed that is going to be the case just yet. So I guess what I'm saying is we'll worry about that when it's significant enough to worry about. But I would agree with you, there's no and I mean no way, no way, anybody's gonna pay that. I don't blame you. And think about it right now, Remember when cutting the cord was financially responsible, and now you find yourself, well, I gotta have this straight. I gotta have this, this app, bad app, nineteen different apps. I'm an idiot because of how much I pay for direct TV. But at the same time, what it has delivered so far for my simple taste is the things that I have to or want to watch are right there, and it ensures I didn't have to pay an extra thirty five dollars a month for the reason I pay. I have all of the movie channels in hell, I never watch them. I've got like MGM at home. I have all these movie channels. I watch the same damn thing every day. I don't know why I have all of them. I've got Stars and the Movie Channel and whatever show Time is, and all the HBO, all of it, MGM, IFC, Sundance, all of that. Hell Sundance does not even exist anymore as a festival, I don't think, but it's still a channel, right, Sundance got all of it. I found myself last night. I got home and I watched until I fell asleep after a handful of melatonin, which I do not advise. I was watching Two and a Half Men on IFC, and if you check around, two and a half Men are on like nineteen different channels at various moments over the course of the day every time. All right, so Seattle and Vegas are those going to be at some point the new NBA teams? How watered down do you think that's going to make the product when you add two teams?
Speaker 4: That's a great question, John.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of people who think there's a real need for expansion, and then there's a lot of other people who think it's not gonna.
Speaker 5: Help at all it is. Is it gonna make the product worse?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Here here's the way I think of it. Like, guys that were playing for the Pacers this past year would probably be some guys that would maybe find their way on expansion teams.
Speaker 5: So normally you have to give up how many players make them eligible for a draft.
Speaker 3: You can protect a certain amount before and who knows what that number will be if they're adding two who would.
Speaker 5: You would not protect from the pacerss if it were to happen right now? I mean, I know exactly what everybody's gonna say. They're gonna say Shepherd. And that's why that's the first one.
Speaker 1: What Shepherd.
Speaker 9: Like.
Speaker 3: I feel like someone that would be on the fence. On the fence would be like a Jerris Walker, Like what do you do? Like depending on the number of the protect, number of players you can protect, like what do you do with him? He might be one that's like, oh wow, they actually let him go, But you know how you've talked to Chad b cannan, how they feel about the court. None of those guys are gonna go. And then you start getting out of the nitty gritty now.
Speaker 5: For two years, Yeah, maybe this has got to be And again this further magnifies why your television content provider has to be top notch because you are so counting on these next two years now, and the NBA not figuring this out is ridiculous. There's gonna be a point in time, and this is everybody included. This is the NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball. If they keep you continuously on some big turd hunt all the time to find all these games, there's gonna be enough people out there to check out to where you're gonna notice it. I say this all the time about us. You've gotta make sure your club is inclusive as possible.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 5: I preach this in this building constantly. Now I don't know if anybody listens, but I'll preach it, but as inclusive as possible because there is so much out there right now, so much content that's available, out of sight, out of mind. Don't want to be that. Let me take your break. We'll come back. So Zach kicks locked on Colts coming up at the top of the hour, magnified how the dudes have to stay healthy on this team, and you're talking about a couple of dudes that come into the season trying to prove that they can maintain health. Zach Kicks Locked on Colts top of the hour, Debbie Antonelle is going to join us the Fever television analyst The Fever in Portland coming up later on tonight. Debbie joins us at four thirty and Adam Rittenberg at five o'clock. We'll talk college football, Big ten and more with Adam ESPN on ESPN dot com. We have State Fair passes and more, but right now, a quick weather update from Fox fifty.
Speaker 1: Nine The Ride with JMV. I love winning, man, I love winning you. Hear what I'm saying. He's like better than losing that. He's three five and one oh seven five. The Fan.
Speaker 5: Colts Conversation Zach Hicks of Lucked on Colts coming up at the top of the hour, text line comment three p one seven two, three, nine, ten seventy. Right now, JMV, people are losing their minds over thirty five dollars a month to watch the Pacers while walking into Starbucks for an eight dollars coffee without blinking. First of all, the problem you're gonna have is if people go I'm not jacking around with an eight dollars cup of coffee anymore, so I'm not going there That's what I'm telling you. Hey, maybe I'm gonna go to Speedway and get it for a dollar and a half. Maybe I'm gonna bring my own. Maybe I'm not even gonna drinking anymore. It's about six fourteen a game. If it's worth it, buy it. If it's not, don't. But let's not pretend this is the financial crime of the century. I'm not trying to turn this Jr. Into the financial crime of the century. I am trying to maintain a level of you do not want to lose your fan base. There are a lot of ways you can do that, and riding them on a content driven price tag is one of those significant pieces. That's all I'm saying. Maybe it is listen, and that's why I've also stated, we have no idea. We don't know what it's going to look like. We don't know if this is true or if it's false. So I have said eight we'll stay chilled, but I will advise that this has to be financially responsible for people. You have a two year window right here, and then who knows what the hell happens after that. You got a lot of decision making on what people are going for their content for anything right now. You cannot jack with the fan base. That's all I'm saying. Kirk writes this inclusive question mark, would that be getting a signal more than ten miles from downtown? The fan is missing reaching people having to go to YouTube more on an app is not inclusive. The old ten seventy was great for it, Kirk, I would advise, what do you think I argue about, by the way, what I argue about on the air all the time against my boss's wishes, What do you think that is? That's me. It's not your imagination, it's me. That's what I do. I preach about this constantly. No, I completely understand. Oh yeah, don't factor in when it rains. By god, it's me and nobody wants me to, but I feel compelled to because I understand. And that's my point. You have to be easy. If it's a pain in your ass, you're going to bail. That's significant to me because they're a way, and I mean, way too many other options out there, and my dumb ass will run you off anyway. So it's not like I need some bad signal to run somebody off because I'm an idiot. I completely understand. Listen, I'm an advocate here for it. I don't like it. I can't sit here and not tell you the truth about stuff. And that certainly is the top of the list. But that is what I preach about, as I mentioned earlier, down the hole all of the time. Thank you, Kirk. All right, Zach Kicks coming up at the top of the hour lockdown. Colts the first time on with me. He's been on this show before, all my fellas. I'm ready. Oh look, we've got the whole heat hal gang out there in the hallway. We've got a during the show meeting coming up at the four o'clock hour, Zach Kicks. On the other side, Debbie Antonelli, the fever analyst, is going to join us. Bottom of the hour ninety three five one oh seven five The Fan the ride with JMV. This is how I eat corner of the cob. I boil it, I go shirtless out of my back deck, eat it like I ravage it, and then throw the cob out into the back forty that.
Speaker 1: He three five and one oh seven five The Fan.
Speaker 7: Well, I love Jonathan, I mean he he's I'm really proud of the leader that he's become on our team and he's one of our pillars. His pictures on the stadium for a reason, and I would love it if he would be a cult for life.
Speaker 5: Carly ERSA. Gordon a little bit earlier today at Coach Camp drop light in Westfield at Grant Park. I'll be up there on the twentieth. And here's what's interesting, right, I'm gonna get to the comment regarding Jonathan Taylor and his mood, which is kind of interesting too. We'll get to that coming up at a minute. But I know, Caleb, you said our next guest is going to be in town when next week's week? Yeah, so he's in Maryland. That's his home base is in Maryland. Correct, Virginia close on ID you Eastern seaboard. Here's what's funny about it. His ass is going to be there before mine. How about that. I don't get up there until August the twentieth on the Anymore Automotive Group potline, the first time he's been on with me. Has been on here a multitude of times throughout the station, but in the afternoon. I know Derek Schultz, his partner on Locked On Colts, more than occasionally has had him on. Zach Hicks from Locked On Colts kind enough to join us now again on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. So you're gonna beat me here to camp coming from Virginia. That's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we got to.
Speaker 10: Get out there.
Speaker 11: We got to get you out there a little bit earlier, man. But now it's all good as long as you get to see a couple of practices, and then I think there's no issue with it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: You need a couple to really get a feel for things.
Speaker 5: Oh, it'll be great. They love yeah, they love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Chris will come sit right next to him and we'll have some dialogue for a while. We'll be thoroughly enjoying that moment. I'm sure, Zach. But you're getting here next week. I think you guys do a great job. You and Jake do a great job on breaking things down. I'm going to start right here and then get off to some of the points I know you've made in the past. I mention the attitude if you will right now, Jonathan Taylor. J Taylor looks like a dude that's coming to an end of the contract, that believes that it's not going to be the end of his deal, that something is in the works here. Is that how it feels to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely does.
Speaker 11: I mean we it's kind of funny because we have the experience of a couple of years ago, right where like all of that drama that we had with it coming into twenty twenty three, the culture coming off such a rough season and their star running back was wanting a new contract and it was just a weird spot that everybody was in and it was pretty played throughout the media and played throughout everything at all of camp, and it took a while to get that contract done. So there was speculation throughout, you know, all media spheres this offseason, like could we see another Jonathan Taylor hold out? He's done it in the past, it worked for him in the past, and now he's coming off like the most productive season he's had since twenty twenty one, and you know, he would have been in his right kind of to hold out and want more money for you know, for lack of a better term there. But yeah, it looks great like he's out there, he's smiling, he's practicing. It looks like he's really happy with where he's at. He's talked about it, and Chris Ballard's talked about it, and Carlier Sir Gordon's talked about it that they feel good with the direction.
Speaker 2: Everything's going with it.
Speaker 11: So it does seem like there have been some really good conversations behind the scenes about them progressing towards potentially a new deal and hopefully getting that done. So definitely a much better place than what it was last time we had these conversations where there was like trade request and all these things going out there publicly. Now it feels like everyone's back to business, which is especially cool because like we're seeing running backs across the league holding in right now, right like Bijon Robinson, Jamir Gibbs, and it's a popular thing and Taylor seems to be in a good place right now, so it's great to see.
Speaker 2: It's great for everyone.
Speaker 11: It's great for the fans because nobody likes, you know, seeing that stuff throughout the off season.
Speaker 2: So really good sign for the Colts going forward.
Speaker 5: What do you make of the major power moves being now executed by running backs right because it wasn't so long ago when it was just more than an afterthought than anything else.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean I think if you're looking at purely from the player perspective, I mean, these guys their bodies, most of them, most of them out, all of them. Right, Derek Henry is still going strong and he could probably keep playing until he's fifty at this point, but most of these running backs their bodies break down kind of in the late twenties early thirties. So really the first contract they're going to get, like the first big contract after the rookie deal, could be like their only big contract in the league. And we saw it in the past where like Le'Veon Bell for instance, tried to make that stand kind of by himself, like he tried to be the you know, doing the big holdout thing and trying to fight for more money, and it kind of backfired. So you really need like groups of guys to come together and kind of work on it together.
Speaker 2: To like earn that higher pay.
Speaker 11: And I have no doubt that, you know, Robinson and Gibbs will certainly get more than expected, just be because they are kind of standing in it together like that.
Speaker 2: So I think it's good for the guys.
Speaker 11: I mean, people can argue if it's smart for the teams and whatnot with positional value, but it's really their only chance to get their one big contract, whereas like quarterbacks are going to get multiple big contracts. They're going to see receivers getting two big contracts in the league, linemen getting two big contracts.
Speaker 2: So running backs you really just get the one.
Speaker 11: So I mean it makes sense personally to really maximize your value on that one contract.
Speaker 5: Does the market itself at that position now justify it more than it did, for examples, at five or so years ago.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's interesting because if you look at it, like five years ago, we started to see this huge trend in the NFL where everything was becoming so pass first. Right defenses were getting eviscerated. Like when Tat Mahomes came home the scene like five six years ago, he threw for what fifty touchdowns five thousand yards and that was kind.
Speaker 2: Of the norm.
Speaker 11: You know, there was all these like huge passing totals and running backs were becoming like the auxiliary positions just to filter out the side stuff with quarterbacks. But in the last couple of years, we've seen this trend towards like under center football play. We're seeing more running of the football, more twelve and thirteen personnel like tight ends on the field, and we're seeing like the value of running back kind of creep up a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not what.
Speaker 11: It was like in the early two thousands, right where like the Shawn Alexanders and Edge and all them, like we're really dominant and you want to pay those guys and really get them going. But it definitely seems like running back value is in a better place right now than what it was like five six years ago, and teams are seeing the value. And I mean, look, the Chiefs went out there and paid big money to a free agent running back this offseason, and they've always kind of been at the forefront of a lot of things. So I think it's good for running backs, you know, I think their value is starting to come back a little bit where teams are seeing the value of like, hey, maybe you don't want to give them that third contract, but getting that running back on that second contract and throughout their rookie deal can be.
Speaker 2: A lot of value for your offense. So it's good for him.
Speaker 11: I mean especially you know, growing up and running backs were so vital. It was kind of sad seeing them go out of flavor there for a little bit, and now we're seeing the league trying to get back to run the football a little bit more so as like a football purist, you know, it's it's kind of fun seeing it.
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny as a football purist too, and a long time enjoyer like me and even older I'm assuming a lot older than you. I remember there a time when you know, the running back was on the level of the quarterback in terms of interest, and like like the Walter Payton's of the world. You had Walter Payton obviously oversettled everybody in Chicago, but Tony dor said in Dallas was much much greater when he got into the league, over Roger Staubach. I mean, it was just interesting, you know, frank O, Harris, Terry Bradshaw. That dynamic had always been very tight, if there was a race of sorts back then. And it kind of to me seems like that that position is growing in interest now, certainly more than just being well, we'll just kick the tires on somebody right here, we don't really care who is back there. It seems like there's more interest and more of a focus on that position now than there has been in recent history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure. I mean when you look back in like the eighties and nineties and.
Speaker 11: Especially before that too, how often we're running back going like first overall right in the draft, Like running backs are going very high in the draft. And now you know, we get all the analytics saying like, oh man, if you take a running back top ten, they better be super good because they're getting paid so much, and there is a push and pull to that, like, at the end of the day, quarterback right now is.
Speaker 2: Such a valuable position. Like I don't think there's a more valuable position.
Speaker 11: In any sport than quarterback, right And I don't think running back or any of these positions are really going to close the ground too much on that. But I do think we have seen a resurgence of running back a little bit more where maybe it's not to the level of quarterback, but maybe it's getting closer to the level of like a top receiver or a top tackle or something.
Speaker 2: Again, rather than just being this.
Speaker 11: Complete afterthought that it was from like twenty ten to like twenty twenty where running backs were being completely just thrown aside and it was like, well, the second we have to pay them, let's go get another cheap one because they can just replicate the value we need, whereas now we're seeing the difference. Like I mean, like the Colts last year, they were a pass first offense early in games. Like don't get me wrong, but the reason why we saw these point totals balloon so much in the second half of games is because they were feeding Jonathan Taylor and they were boasting one of the best rushing offenses that we had seen in recent history. And it's not like they had a quarterback also running the ball like Jones had some rushing touchdowns in there, but so much of it was Taylor being dominant right, Like they weren't really distributing the carries to anybody else like we've seen from other great rushing offenses like with Lamar Jackson and Baltimore, or like Jalen Hurts and Philly. So having that great running back can be the difference between you know, a great start and looking good or you know, being one of the worst teams in the league sometimes, especially if you're in the Colts like last year. So the Colts are recognized and that's why I think they're.
Speaker 2: Treating Taylor well.
Speaker 11: Hopefully he can continue staying healthy going forward because it is risky paying a running back a third time. But outliers exist, and Taylor is about to break all the franchise rushing records, so you can certainly call him an outlier. So keeping happy, keeping going, and hopefully his Colts offense can get back on track.
Speaker 5: Loaded with content. It is Locked On Colts the podcast, along with Jake Arthur, Derek Schultz, Alan Pinkett, the former Notre Dame, Fighting Irish and Nfler among others a part of that too, and they update things on a daily basis. Zach Hicks joins us from Locked On Colts on the Anymore Automotive Group podline. Are you a believer in what they have personnel wise right now with this group or are you of the belief that the reason why we're here is because of that Sauce Gardner trade deadline deal of a year ago.
Speaker 11: I firmly believe in Carli or Sig Gordon looking at the first half of last season and saying we can get back to what we showed early last season. Like I do think when you look at how they were successful, how they were winning, and I mean even in some of their losses, and when they played better teams Like that Rams game we all agree probably should have been a win if it weren't for a couple of costly mistakes, Like they were playing really good football. I don't think that this is like Carly saying like, Okay, we need to bring back Ballard because we don't want to straddle a new GM without a first round pick. I think she does believe in what they showed early last season. It's just going to be on a very short leach because having the end of the season they had, even with you know, the quarterback issues, and we've already talked about how valuable quarterback is, you just can't have losing streaks like that, Like they really needed like one maybe two wins down the stretch to get in the playoffs, and they couldn't even muster that out with the guys that they had. So I like what she said today where it's like, look, the mantra this year is find a way.
Speaker 2: Things get tough.
Speaker 11: You lose games, but you lose players, but you got to find a way to get those wins and get into the playoffs. So I do think that like a big part of bringing back everything and believing in this year is buying that first half of last season. Now we'll see if it can materialize. They're really banking on a bunch of older players who are coming off some injury concerns, and that's certainly scary in the face of the NFL. But I do believe that a lot of this faith to run it back one more time is like, hey, what we were doing early last season was working. There was a lot of goods in that and basically when we started losing games, we didn't have our quarterbacks, so some of the turnover luck one against us, and like, let's see how real that first half was, and if they missed the playoffs again this year, then you'll have your answer. So I do think that was a firm belief in this unit, but the belief will run out if they missed the playoffs yet again. So yeah, I think Carley certainly believes in what they were doing, but it's going to be a bit of a shorter reach this year than what it was last year.
Speaker 5: So Zach, I'm on the other side of that. I think that their decision making was was really pared down and compromise because of that deal. And while I'm cool with the deal because you saw something that was being created in the first part of that season, and then obviously the injuries to significant players Daniel Jones certainly compromise the remainder of the season. I think if they were to have first round options after this past season, that maybe, to me, honestly, I think they would be going in a different direction. So I don't know. I think you kind of have to put on that face right now because you're soaking in it, you know what I mean, because you really didn't have leverage nor options to deal with to change things up, so you have to believe it. Hopefully it works out, but I think you have to, more than anything else, believe in this product the way that it is right now because really adjusting things. It was compromised after that trade deadline deal with no first rounders, and you really had nowhere else to go.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I do agree to a certain there where it's like, once you make that move, you are showing that belief in the process there. I think that's what made it kind of more even more devastating in the second half of the year, when your starter goes down with the torn achilles, your backup was already injured in a flute in a freaky injury. Pre game, your third string quarterback was dealing with a bit.
Speaker 2: Of an injury. So you just made this huge, like.
Speaker 11: Franchise altering move for a young, former All Pro corner, and you traded two first round picks, expecting at least the first year of that to be in the playoffs. And you can't even manage the one more win down the stretch because you're down to a quarterback who's been retired for years to come out here and start games for you, because it was either him or hampered Riley Leonard or the seth again I think was on the roster at that point at quarterback, Like it wasn't going to be great down the stretch. So do I understand what you're saying where it's like they kind of made their own dead when they made that trade and you kind of have to commit to it this year. But part of me thinks, like you make that trade because you are so bought in that first happened last year, so to fall off of it so much because Philip Rivers couldn't win you a couple of games, or Jones couldn't win you a couple of games with a broken leg like, I don't know if they would have fallen that far off, but I totally see your opinion with that, where it's like, yeah, I mean they kind of made their bed with this.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the right answer was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, Zach, I don't go too over the top. And here's why, because I was down with it. I'm okay with the win now mentality because they've basically had a win never mentality and right like, the win now are running it back. And I say that about the Pacers because we're going to deal with that this year. There is a basis of results that we have seen that would I think define why you have Kevin Pritchard and Chad Muchannan wanting to run this core group back with the Pacers. But with the Colts it's not that way because you know, you go all in and then you have that jine and you're screwed for the remainder of the season. I get why you want to win right now because the results at that level it's been few and far between, and it's just kind of the same old, same old for the fans. So I don't go completely over the top on that. I just kind of think they're in a situation in which they created because they had belief and maybe it wasn't misguided because of the way the offense specifically was playing. But again, you didn't have the optionality there at all because of the lack of first round deals or I should say, first round selections that you had. Thus you're right here, But again I understood it at the time, and I still understand it right now. You're just kind of soak into the situation itself.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I will say, like, if you had the belief in Jones and the offense early last season, I don't think anything about the second half of the year lessens the belief in Jones outside of the fact that he's coming off the Achilles injury now, right, because it's not like he threw like twenty picks in like, you know, those games, and he was just the worst quarterback in the lead. He was hurt, you know, and even in like the Texans game for instance, like he was she had one of the better performances against the Texans defenses than any quarterback in the league last year. Now, it wasn't a great game, but nobody played well against Texans, so it was kind of it was kind of a weird situation for the Colts, and you know, as a fan, you kind of think about it in your brain. It's like, of course this would happened to the Colts, right, you make this big move, going all in, everything's going great, and then of course, like you could survive any other injury maybe except for the quarterback, right, and the quarterback goes down. So you know, if they're feeling good about the Jones Achilles injury, I mean, the thing is they have to feel good about it though, right, like you said, they made their bet. You have to feel good about it, Like even if he was not recovering, well, you put yourself in a situation where you had to feel.
Speaker 2: Good about it.
Speaker 11: So we'll see when the bullets starts flying this year, that'll be the ultimate test. But I do think like come the end of this season, I know a lot of people have said, Okay, Carler said Gordon didn't make him the last offseason, what's to say that she's going to after this year. I do think that it really is now or never for Ballad and psych in this year. I really think they need to win this year or they will make some changes, even without the first dround pick because you just don't have any excuses at that point.
Speaker 5: Zach Kicks of Lockdown Colts on the Anymore Automotive Group potline. Is it weird to you that there's still holes in this roster? And I think holes that everybody can see. But they sit on this pile of cash and they really haven't done. And I know the contractual of a lot of situations as to why maybe free agent players, you know, don't want to get up off the couch right now and start in training camp. But are you surprised that, for example, they haven't necessarily significantly addressed something like wide receiver to this point, considering how much money they have.
Speaker 11: Yeah, a wide receiver, I'm not terribly concerned about, because I do think you're in a situation, especially with Shane Stiken's like relationship with Keenan Allen for instance, like that goes back years. I think you're in a situation where you can see what some of these other guys have and then if it's just not good enough, then you kind of have like he and Allen, he doesn't want to sign it early in the training camp. He does not want to go through the full training camp at this point in his career, so I think that he's going to be on speed dial going forward. But I think it really comes to my mind with like edge right because even though the Chris Baalen them haven't one explicitly said that they were getting all their eggs in the basket for Trey Hendrickson, it was clear to.
Speaker 2: Everyone that that was who they were going for.
Speaker 11: They wanted Trey Hendrickson, they put so much into recruiting him here, and then if it weren't for Baltimore's like last ditch whatever they did with Crosby and Hendrickson, then Hendrickson maybe would be here right now. And I understand swinging big there, but when you don't hit on it, I don't know how the backup plan is just two day three rookies, you know, is like that's okay, Now we have our six edge rushers. And it's like you were kind of already acknowledging by going after Hendrickson that you needed a big push. And I know the free agent class wasn't as great at that point, but there.
Speaker 2: Were still guys out there. There's still guys out there now.
Speaker 11: I just I don't understand the having like just adding two Day three rookies and being like, we're good, and then Ballard always talking about like Kayden Curry they're super high on.
Speaker 2: I'm like, look, if you were super high on, you wouldn't have taken him in round six. You would have taken.
Speaker 11: Them earlier than that, So come on, like, you can't sell this when you were trying to go get Hendrickson. So I think that one's the toughest one for me, And that's kind of always been one of my complaints with Chris Ballad is just like he has such a belief in like the internal process and the guys they have here, but we don't have the results to back that up, you know.
Speaker 2: And you can even say the same thing about receiver.
Speaker 11: Right, like maybe you want to see a little bit of what dueling and Treadwell and Westbrooka Kina can do before signing in Allen, But these guys have been in the league for long enough to we kind of know what they are. Like, They're not going to be superstar like starting receivers, right, so why not make a move earlier? So yeah, I understand the concerns and the complaints with that stuff. Edge Rusher is just the one I can't wrap my head around because like, if you really were going for Hendrickson, how how can the not getting him solution just be well, everyone moves up one and now we add these two rookies into the mix.
Speaker 5: Like that such an all or nothing philosophy right there, I would see it really is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 11: And Hendrickson signed later in a free agency, right so I understand that it puts you a little bit of buying, like some of the other top edge rushers weren't still available at that point, but there were still other guys out there. And that's why I was so against drafting two edge rushers. I was like, because then you're going to want to keep both of them. And now you're up to six edge rushers on the team, and typically you keep six, you don't keep seven, So where are you adding another edge ruster.
Speaker 2: It's just a weird spot.
Speaker 11: And now so much of it is like we need Jalen Tumloau, who barely played last year, to take.
Speaker 2: A big step. We need arden Key, who.
Speaker 11: Has been, you know, a fine rotational guy for nine years, to be something he's never been.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a big it's a big ask of these guys. So we'll see if it pays off.
Speaker 11: But if I have pessimism anywhere, certainly they aren't that other edge rusher position because I mean they kind of said what they thought about it when they went for Hendredston.
Speaker 5: It's almost like Zach, that they believe in the secondary is so no pun intended here locked down that they can afford maybe not to have the maybe have what their normal pass rush is. And philosophically speaking, in the NFL or really any forms of football, it's almost like, and I've described in this fashion best ackwards defensively, you know, when you're looking for the playmaking ability and you're stacked in the secondary, but your faulty or you have the huge question marks upfront off the edge, it is a backwards scenario compared to what you normally know. Do you believe at all in that? And it kind of seems like that that's just again much like this team where they are with it because they were forced into this position.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I do think it is a common debate we see amongst a lot of football minds, like what is more valuable coverage or pass rush?
Speaker 2: And can you even separate the two? Right?
Speaker 11: Because they have this symbiotic relationship where they have to work off each other. So I understand where people come with that, and I'm not exactly sure where I fall. Like I think gun in my head, I'd prefer to have the better pass rush than coverage because so much is built up front.
Speaker 2: But I think you can find.
Speaker 11: Success by having great coverage and having a pass rush by committee, right, Like, if you have such great coverage corners and secondary, you can blick a little bit more and get the ball out of quarterback's hands and maybe that can be your mode to success.
Speaker 2: But I do agree with you where it's like it.
Speaker 11: Does feel a little backwards, especially when the secondary that we're banking on, and look, I want this secondary to be awesome, I think on paper, Like, if you're just looking at it on paper, it can be the best secondary of the Colts have had in a long long time.
Speaker 2: But let's be real about it. Saust Gardner missed half of last.
Speaker 11: Season with an injury, and he's probably the one we feel best about injury wise, right because Dustin Wally missed the entirety of last season with an injury and Moody Ward is coming off I mean a really rough season with the concussions and who knows what his effectiveness is going to be. You could even go to the fourth corner Cam Taylor Britt missed the last half of last year with lisz Frank injury, you know, and all these guys are expected to, you know, feel pretty big roles or come in and start, and you're the situation where they were last year where it's like you feel great about corner, but then once the injuries piled up, Xavi and Howard was starting games for you, and then you don't feel good about corner with the questions you had on the defensive line already. So I'm not sure there's ever a great solution to combating injuries, right because you can't build a roster of fifty three starters.
Speaker 2: It's just not feasible in this league.
Speaker 11: But I do think that putting all your eggs in the secondary basket's going to carry your defense when you have major questions about injuries, and heck, we haven't.
Speaker 2: Even talked about like Buckner's.
Speaker 11: Injury up front and other injuries like that, Like it's concerning.
Speaker 5: I'd have to keep you on here for a couple of hours. I think to address everything, you know, what I mean, right right.
Speaker 11: If they could stay healthy this year, they can be a really good team. But the injury questions are such a big looming cloud right now. That is it's so concerning.
Speaker 5: Before I'll let you go, do you recollect any point in time when the philosophy that we're talking about right here that they have to go with with the secondary, you know, being the overriding playmaking factor over the edge rushing up front, where that worked out? Does anything come to mind to you?
Speaker 11: I would say the Vikings defense the last few years has been a little bit more like resource heavy into secondary and more so than like that, like they've never had like a huge, great pass rusher like they had Grenard. I think the last couple of years is pretty good, but they didn't have like that dominant force. They let the Neil Hunter walk and they were putting more resource in the secondary. But he's chaotic with Howie Blitz is there right, he brings six man rushes all the time, Ryan forres. So, like, I think you can find success that way. It's just the easier mode. The success obviously is having those studs up front, so it's tougher. But I think there is a way it's just not the most repeatable way.
Speaker 5: All right, lockdown Colts. You guys are constantly churning out the content for everybody. Tell the folks out there about it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Locked On Colts our daily show that Jake Arthur and I host. It's always great having Jake as the co host there because he's at practice every day giving us all the infos. So if you guys want a daily show that gives you breakdowns on every single practice again, for better or for worse, you know, you can learn a little bit from practice, Maybe not as much as we play it.
Speaker 2: Up, but it is good to hear the information there for sure.
Speaker 11: So Jake Gibbs is there and we're actually about to record right after we jump off here, so that'll be up a little after five today.
Speaker 5: Well done, pal. We'll do this again sometime and when you're in and around Indy, you'll have to come out to a live show and I'll get you all hammer locked while you're talking too. That'll be even better. All right, I love it, man, I appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Zach.
Speaker 5: Thanks Palin, Zach cakes right there, I've Locked On Colts. He was a little skeptical about answering that one. I think, what do you think? The bad influence in me? Always it always prevails. Though I feel really confident my bad influence technique will prevail always.
Speaker 4: It always does. It always comes out eventually.
Speaker 5: It always does. Quick Break will come Back. Debbie Andtonelly Fever television analyst, The Fever and the Fire coming on platter Walk at tonight. Debbie talks with us next. First things first though, a weather update, a Fox fifty.
Speaker 1: Nine, The Ride with JMV, the Moighty Fag ninety three five and one oh seven five The Fan State Fair.
Speaker 5: Passes coming up a little bit later on in the show, Jamie Takeover Tomorrow Nights B one O five point seven powered by Big Red Liquors. That's Tomorrow Night six until midnight. They all request Saturday Night Sweeping the Nation. By the way, Caleb's over there, I'm John zach Kicks. A little bit earlier, Adam Rittenberg of ESPN Top of the Hour Big ten College Football Conversation, but joining us now on the Andy Moore Automotive Group Hotlines staked out in Portland, Oregon, rating for the Fever and the Fire. Later on tonight ten o'clock is that Tip Time along with Pat Moylan. Debbie Antonelli, one of my favorites joins us now, Debbie, thank you for the time. How are you.
Speaker 2: Hey man?
Speaker 12: Listen, thanks for inviting me back. I'm so glad to be here, and thank you for your nice words.
Speaker 5: I love to see I'm the biggest basketball fan probably outside of yourself, that you're going to find out here. And I love I love how you break down the game. And I've been really interested to hear what you thought about Tuesday night because even though you've got to see Attle team that's not very good and record wise not good at all, it looked like a situation they had a red hot player, the fever got up big and saw their lead get paired into and then came back in one. And you had again Noah Leah Boston for significant portions of the game. But both your star players as well, and Caitlin Clark and Kelsey Mitchell were outstanding. Was that this team, in your estimation, hitting their stride right now?
Speaker 6: What a character building moment once again inside the.
Speaker 12: Game, you know, to face some adversity and to bounce back.
Speaker 6: It is such an entertaining and exciting backcourt to watch.
Speaker 12: You just don't know what they're going to.
Speaker 2: Do except score on everybody.
Speaker 6: I mean, we are so talented on the offensive end, and Stephanie White will always start with defense, which most coaches do. But yes, I do think we are hitting our stride. I think we have come together. There's no question there's chemistry. They're connected, and they're playing better on the defensive end.
Speaker 5: Defensive end, fouling too much, and turnovers. Those are the three main issues so far this season. From your vantage point, are they improving on those factors?
Speaker 6: You know, we've been trying to track the number of quarters that they keep the other team off the free throw line.
Speaker 12: It is definitely a factor and we are winning that category.
Speaker 6: And here's part of the reason why we are doing a better job of staying between our player and the basket.
Speaker 12: We are guarding the ball better, not.
Speaker 6: Just the action, and those are important defensive concepts. On the other side, our offense puts so much pressure on the other team's defense because of the pace that we play with. We are constantly putting you in at a deficit defensively because we do these habits over and over, John, We run the floor hard, we run to the deep corner that flattens out the defense. It opens up the top of the floor. And when you open up the top of the floor in the middle third, that's when Caitlin Kelsey and Aliyah are absolutely going to crucify you in those spots on the floor because they can score. They will always make the defense wrong in those situations.
Speaker 5: W Antonelli got the Fever and the fire later on tonight, she and Pat Boyl and on Channel thirteen WTHR. I believe coming up later on tonight as well, this isn't an interesting dynamic because you're in Portland. But I can't help myself, and this is just a fan in me. You kind of look ahead a little bit if you're the fan coming up on Sunday in Minnesota against the Links at one o'clock. Obviously this team is not going to overlook it. But what do you see in the fire that the Fever really have to try to stamp out, so to speak? Coming up later on tonight in Portland, Well, you're right, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, we haven't played Minnesota yet, and you don't want to look ahead, and we do have three games to play with Minnesota, which are going to be incredible benchmarks.
Speaker 12: For this team. But I don't think this is a group that's going to be sleeping on anybody.
Speaker 6: Certainly not every REP. In the way they attack reps in practice yesterday.
Speaker 12: The way that they prepared to shoot around today, I think there's any sleeping on Portland at all.
Speaker 6: In Portland presents some different challenges.
Speaker 2: Now. Remember we came out.
Speaker 12: Here earlier in the year at end of May and got our doors blown off. It's the worst game of the season, and I think the.
Speaker 6: Fever remember that, and you just don't know what little pieces of what happened in that previous event and game carry over to coming back this.
Speaker 12: Time and really wanted to show what you can do here in Portland. So I think they're ready.
Speaker 5: Catlin Clark looks like she just simply put feels better right now? Is that the case? You see that too? Joy?
Speaker 12: I think I see the joy returning to her game.
Speaker 6: I mean, I see her feeling very confident and very comfortable, and no situation on the floor seems to bother her.
Speaker 12: She's able to handle all of it.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, and you know what she also has to And even if you block it out, there's all this other stuff and she is all ball And I have the ultimate respect with her about that. She just wants to play and play hoop and that's that's it. But all this other stuff has a tendency to close in on you. But it's incredible how she can block it all out and kind of maintain just that focus, because really, the scrutiny on her on so many levels is so unlike what a lot of athletes see.
Speaker 6: It's an incredible spotlight and it's not one that she has necessarily asked for, but she certainly has handled. I think I've said this to you before, and I know I've said it in many places. I've never heard her make a mistake in a press conference. I've never heard her fall for the bait. I'd never heard her not take the high road. She constantly understands the role model that she has become. She embraces that, and she delivers. And part of what happens when you have all of that other outside noise, you come together with your team and you go to practice, and you go and shoot around, and you do the repetition and the rhythm and the reps and the habits, and then you forget all about that for that time that you're on the floor.
Speaker 12: That's the magic and that's the best time. And it's amazing that she can.
Speaker 6: Not let any of that other stuff be a distraction while she balls out like one of the top scorers in the league.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: And what's great about it the way they are right now and on a wednes streak and the way they performed on Tuesday, is that a lot of this other crap that you have to hear, you have to read, you have to deal with, has a tendency to go away when you win, and a lot of that scrutiny, a lot of that criticism fades when you win. That's almost like this team, these players that coach showing everybody, hey, this is what we're about, and then all that other stuff again has that tendency to fade away.
Speaker 6: Sharpens, the character sharpens, the habits, puts all of it together for forty minutes on the floor. I mean, this is a mature group. So you know, maybe there were people talking about them in the conversation earlier in the year about how good they were, but certainly now they had everyone's attention. They've won five in a row, They've already set a bunch of offensive records. You know, historically, we're on pace to be the highest scoring team ever. Kelsey and Caitlin are becoming unguardable, and Caitlin and Kelsey are so good together. They're the highest scoring combo in the backcourt in the league, and Kelsey and Alia are like the second highest scoring combo in the league. So we've got a lot of offensive firepower. We should continue to concentrate on the defense, keep the distraction and the noise away, and just keep playing connected like they've played so far, but fish very together.
Speaker 5: There is wntdelli with us on the Andy More Automotive Group plotline with the fever not so much. There's no expectation there. But how often in the past in covering the WNBA have you seen a significant impact made for the WNBA trade deadline.
Speaker 6: I think we've had some in the past, and I have to think about what. I don't know if we'll have a landslide change this year. It could happen depending on Kelsey Plumb. I think there's a lot of conversation around what's happening with the Sparks. I don't have any insider information on any of that, so I don't know. But if she does land with a contender that will be a big deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just it's kind of interesting. I could not recollect anything that Again, I'm looking at it from an impactful angle here that I could remember that that took place. But as we embark upon that time right now, it is kind of interesting to note that that's where we are and there's going to be a lot of teams scrambling to think that they can get where they ultimately believe they can get at they had a player of that level.
Speaker 6: You know, fifteen teams now and only eight spots. So while we're expanding, we haven't changed the number of teams in the playoffs. So yeah, it's a competitive rate, it is.
Speaker 13: You know, the.
Speaker 5: Product is good.
Speaker 12: I mean, we've talked about this before.
Speaker 6: You can't sleep on any team in this league, even Connecticut, who is right.
Speaker 12: Now at the bottom with Seattle.
Speaker 6: Both of those teams are capable in matchups that they can win, and you could see what Seattle has done. They're a tough matchup for us because their size upfront.
Speaker 5: Hi, Debbie, I'm jerious. You mentioned this before the backcourt with Mitchell and Clark, and for those of us out there the fans, it it'd be so easy. You have these dynamic players, the dynamic scores, and everything is so easy. What is it like dealing with that, because it has to be to me, easier said than done to get the most out of again, two dynamic players in the backcourt that the Fever have like that.
Speaker 6: See, that's such a great question because they neither one of them actually needs a screen to be able to score. I think they prefer space. But because of the way Feaver run stuff, they're always going to be involved in moving off the ball and coming off of screens and all kinds of screening activity, whether it's pin downs that are down the lane line or wide pin downs, which Kelsey Mitchell is like on a two man naked side. As a pro, it's definitely a pro. Nobody can stop her going left when she's coming off that Alyssa Boston Elliot Boston, excuse me, pinned down. But here's the part of the game that people don't realize it's so valuable is when Lexi Hall runs to the corner, Cunningham runs hard to the corner, and Monique Billings runs hard to the rim.
Speaker 12: That's the space that I'm talking about. It seems like It's a simple concept, but it's so.
Speaker 6: Valuable for allowing all the other actions to happen. So while you're watching Caitlin and you're watching Kelsey, and it's hard to take your eyes off of either one of them because they are so dynamic and they have the counters and the solutions to whatever you provide defensively, but you cannot discount all the other things, in all the other ways and habits that Stephanie White is instilled in this team to be able to score at the pace that we're scoring.
Speaker 5: I will tell you this too, because the eyes are constantly focused on Caitlin Clark with the ball, but I have noticed this. Kelsey Mitchell is non stop movement without the ball. I don't know if this is the case, but that seems to me. She is so talented, but I think that is what really expedites to the highest level of talent, because she has endless motion offensively out there.
Speaker 6: And see when you take her down the right side of the floor and Aliah Boston comes with that pin down and most defenses try to get on top of Kelsey, so they don't want her to cut off the screen because she's going.
Speaker 12: To curl that and score.
Speaker 6: But when you get on top of it, she's so fast. That's why we get a lot of those back door cuts, right the ninety degree cut on the baseline. But if you don't play her square, she's going to come off that and if she curls, she's going to get to the nail and she's going to.
Speaker 12: Hit a fifteen footer or she's going to hit Boston on the roll. We could run that.
Speaker 6: Play all game and no one would be able to stop it. Just clear it out and run that and Kelsey could get fifty. But that's not what the Fever need to do to be able to win a championship. And that's the way we should be talking about it. We should be talking about a championship now. We should be talking about Kelsey Mitchell and Caitlin Clark in the conversation for MVP.
Speaker 5: It's a no doubt about that. Wi Antonelli joining us again. She and Pat Boyling have the call coming up later on tonight. I'm assuming nine point thirty pm is going to be the pre game and ten o'clock that tip time from the Modus Center in Portland, Oregon, and then Minnesota coming up on the schedule on Sunday afternoon, which should be fun. Hey, thank you very much for taking the time out today for this breakdown. I appreciate that. We'll catch back up when you guys get back home too.
Speaker 6: Let's do it and let's have a Fever takeover. Let us come in there and.
Speaker 5: Take over for I would love it. I'd love to have anybody taking any fever man coming on in. Bring it on in. Yeah, make sure you tell everybody down there that, okay.
Speaker 12: Okay, I'll tell them for sure.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Debbie, DeBie ed Todell is pretty awesome. Fever Takeover j MV Takeover. Uh, I didn't want to say it as hard as hell to get anybody from the fever on this show. You know, the last time I had somebody from the fever on this show, player, it was Lexi Hall. She was in treatment and I believe one of the one of the I don't know what, how would you explain this, One of the the guys that the people in this case that were working her out in treatment heard me shout her out and I think handed to the phone. Seriously, that's the last and it was like two or three years ago. She was awesome too, just like right there on the spot. She was literally in treatment, and you know, one of the one of the physicians, orthopedic folks there handed to the phone. So I'm ready willing and able to do a little bit of a takeover right here. DeBie Antonelli is always awesome. We appreciate that State Fair Passes. Coming up before the end of the show, Adam Rittenberg the Big Tin Breakdown. There's no doubt that Kurt Signetti was awesome yesterday. But the rest of the Big ten and especially the change of landscape with coaches, whether it's East Lansing and Arbor or Happy Valley. We'll go over that and more with Adam coming up at the top of the hour. This is ninety three to five and one oh seven five The.
Speaker 1: Fan The Ride with jmv.
Speaker 12: Oh wife, No matter how beauty is our affectionate points severely impare my crime fight.
Speaker 1: Aty three five and one oh seven five The Fan So loaded so far.
Speaker 5: Today's thatch kicks looked on sports w Antonelle Fever Television analysts Fever in the far right.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 5: Later on tonight, ninet thirty is Tidrow with the pregame coverage ten o'clock. Is that tiptime Modus Center in Portland? They get the link of Minnesota coming up on Sunday afternoon one, What is the weather update? Is my weekend of sunshine and poolside going to be compromised by crappy weather? What do we have here? Not just the moment, but for the weekend.
Speaker 3: I know I was planning on going to colts camp tomorrow, John, and I think that's in jeopardy of being moved inside.
Speaker 5: We cannot have Listen, there's not much summer remaining. Yeah, and really, for a lot of people out there, summer has already concluded. Given the fact school ridiculously enough starts in late July, Where the hell are we in this world? When school starts in late July?
Speaker 4: That nuts?
Speaker 5: It's stupid as hell. Every year it's earlier. Look how well rounded an individual I am at the age of fifty six and a half, and I thought we started school around August the twentieth every year, Look that was early. You know what? This is way early. I would have simple put refuse to start No way, late July does look like I would have refused to start school.
Speaker 3: I'm not going sixteen year old jov gets to school starts and listen July thirty.
Speaker 5: First, if you're out there and you believe you need a two week fall break, you don't. You don't need it. You do not need it. In fact, some of you get a two week spring break. You don't need that either, because it's weird. You have spring break, right, two week spring break, and then you come back and you're back literally about a month, and then school's over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just stick it out right.
Speaker 5: Educators of Indiana. You guys need me. You guys need me on that wall. Everybody always talks about I'm common sense, and I'm common sense this and that. You're not common sense anything. I'm common sense. Kids need their summer. Stop jacking with it. That should be hard. You don't need two weeks in the fall. You don't need two weeks in the spring. You can keep Christmas break the way that it is. Don't need all that crap. It's a world coming to I'm assuming is it like that out of the state of Indiana. Are we just led by numb nuts?
Speaker 4: No, I think it's happening.
Speaker 5: Assuming we're led by numb nuts. You know me are all over I said this earlier. They're all over my ex account. No wonder nothing can get done because of all the people you vote in are all over X like their thirteen year old kids. Jeez, yeah, no wonder you can't work. I'm on ARAM. Listen, I'm mad. Look at this person's doing well, tattle tailing and stuff. Yeah, can you not be real? Dudes? Can you seriously? I'm gonna tell you I'm gonna vote. If I'm gonna vote for real dudes, I'm not voting for any of these whimps jays? And again, how is X? How is it for me when all these clowns are just rotten all over it? You know where that can be for me?
Speaker 4: You got to switch over to the following tab.
Speaker 5: But even then john following tab, there's a for you tab.
Speaker 4: There's a following tab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but even then the following tabs sometimes some stuff that you don't want infiltrates following.
Speaker 5: How do I get the for you? Show you? All right, I'm seeing now select topics you don't want to see, so I could take you. I can do that. I can do that. I can just take politics out of it. Look, I just saw that right there, all right, the following topics here? What would you think that I would want to take out Are you ready? Politics, sports, business and finance, science and technology, entertainment and arts, artificial intelligence, gaming, crypto videos.
Speaker 3: I think everything at the entertainment in the sports you would take out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so. And see, I don't like the videos that I constantly see of dudes fighting. I don't like the fighting videos. I don't need to see that. Back then, when you had to fight, it just you had to fight and then it was over, you know, on video forever. Yeah, I think sports. I'm going to click all these over and see if I can feel better. Snooze topics is what they're called.
Speaker 1: Right here.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna snooze on everything I need to snooze, Tammy. I can go to three or four home games and sit in the two hundred level for thirty five dollars a month. Of course you have parking and other stuff, but I'd rather buy on the secondary market three to four games at ten dollars apiece. Very common price for weekday games, even when things are good. Jeremiah said, I ain't paying eight dollars for coffee from Starbucks. I'm paying six dollars for it from seven brew. I go upstairs. I blank you not, and I only drink I want the most harsh black coffee possible. I'm sad that we have a nice machine upstairs. I'm sad that it's not an old school like mister coffee, worn out pot. I want. I want it as harsh as pot because I'm just looking for the buzz I want.
Speaker 12: You.
Speaker 5: Guys are always saying, how are you so energetic? Like I have a process where I keep a level of energy and black coffee I want it as close to like anybody else would say, There's zero way I'm ever taking a drink of that that looks awful. That's what I want. I'm not paying eight dollars eight dollars for a cup of coffee. I think it's more than that too, right, six dollars at seven ru huh. JMV. I promise you the for you is not thank you. And I saw this new tab in here that I can utilize though, I feel better about that. JMV. Brad from the GOADI here, I was just jamming out to Millie Vanilli. I hope you're doing well. Thank you, Brad girl, you know what's true. Oo ooh and back in the day, too. Remember they wanted Grammy. It was taken away because they were lip syncing. I just want to hear good songs and good solid music. It was still good solid music even if the two dudes Robin fab were lip syncing. Give me a break. Still enjoyed it all right, quick break will come back. I got more from me. On the text line, I've got State Fair passes and Adam Rittenberg talks Big ten football that from ESPN and it's on the other side ninety three five, one oh seven five The.
Speaker 1: Ride with JMV Ready for Football.
Speaker 5: Football is a Way of Life, of Life.
Speaker 1: Ninety three five and one oh seven five The Fan.
Speaker 5: Three one seven, two, three nine ten, seventy teesh line Jim McCann Southern California mentions this Huntington Beach City Elementary School District that's HBCSD starts on September. The first well done. Southern California. Huntington Beach Union High School District hbu HSD starts on September the second. It's more like it this end of July. Bull crap around here?
Speaker 1: What do we do?
Speaker 5: Sina Grove goes back on Wednesday. Hey, by the way, Hey, shout out if you're running down on the south side. The Kopesky car wash on US thirty one has one Laney Loo working there today, last couple of work days before school starts again. Lane shout out the lane. And I know this to be true because I had to hauler over there today. Well done. I don't know how many people are getting their car washed today, considering that there is rain on the endbound here? Do we know significant rain storms? All that cramp?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not the biggest car washer. I feel like I go like once a year. John's I'm probably the wrong person to ask.
Speaker 5: It was a point in time when I haven't been in a minute, but I kind of got addicted to it, addicted to the car wash. I don't know why. It was weird when you went early that you get that smell, like a really incredibly fresh smell. And there are so many levels now you can go this level, on that level, nineteen different levels of car wash.
Speaker 4: I just do the normal one.
Speaker 5: Uh much much like me, I always like to give my vehicle a complete undercarriage cleaning, do you Because I know how that makes me feel. I can't imagine how it makes my vehicle feel.
Speaker 3: I wonder what our next guess Adams thinking about this conversation.
Speaker 5: Find out on the Andy Moore Automotive grew potline he in Chicago had to deal with Kurt Signetti yesterday, who was much more entertaining than I on the Andy Moore Automotive Group plotline. It is Adam Rittenberg of ESPN on ESPN dot com. Uh, the holding of court of the defending national champion Indiana Hoosiers, their head coach, was somewhat interesting yesterday, was it not?
Speaker 10: It was?
Speaker 9: And you you kind of come to expect that from saying I had a chance to visit with him early in the day and kind of said, hey, what do you got for us this time? Because we all remember his performance a couple of years ago, Uh, you know, when they hadn't done anything, and you know, one of many called shots that he's.
Speaker 10: Had in Indiana, and then you know.
Speaker 9: Certainly last year planning up the disrespect that they had after making the playoff but not advancing and using that, and so you know, it was it was a certainly a fun performance to hear him throughout the day, and the shots that he took at the SEC were absolute gold. So a fun, a fun day.
Speaker 10: Indeed, as they wrapped up Big Ten meeting, when's.
Speaker 5: The last time we've seen a coach call their shot and then cash in with the shots that they called as much as he has, well.
Speaker 9: It's hard to think of someone at a school with Indiana's history, you know, doing it like like he has, or even moderately, you know, someone your coaches come in and talk about expectations and standards, the things that they want to do and accomplish.
Speaker 10: But you know, I can't think of someone who was able to back it up the way that that Sigg has.
Speaker 9: At Indiana, you know, from the moment he arrived there to you know, the first first interview at the Big Ten Championship game on the day that he was announced to the basketball court, to to really everything else. And you know, I think that confidence permeates throughout the program. And obviously you have to work and you have to you know, do the types of things that are necessary.
Speaker 10: And he outlines them. We all have heard.
Speaker 9: Those phrases from him before to actually do the winning. But if you're not confident in yourself, you're probably not going to accomplish great things.
Speaker 10: And that's not something he lacked you.
Speaker 5: Know, Ata Brittenberger esp dot ESPN dot com joins us. I say this all the time because people always bring up, well, you know, look at the money or look at the rate of the season schedule, And what impresses me the most even beyond well, I shouldn't say this, not beyond a national title, but what impresses me the most about what he has accomplished is the way that he puts together a roster. Having the the finances, the resources are not but the way you put it together and have it work at that place, the way that it has in the past two years, is to me still the most amazing aspect of all this.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, And you know, I think the word that comes to mind, and people have said this to me about saying, is efficiency. And he's someone who has a very clear vision for every element of the program, including roster building, and so you know, they know who they want, they go after that person.
Speaker 10: They don't waste a lot of time in I mean.
Speaker 9: I remember that weekend right before the Peach Bowl, the semi final game last year, was when they loaded up on transfers and were able to get pretty much much everybody they wanted for the season coming in you know, in a relatively short stand so he does not waste a lot of time or you know, or meander as he's figuring out the roster. And you know, they obviously had some needs after last season, from quarterback to defensive end. You know, one of the offensive line spots certainly coming in Joe Brunner from Wisconsin with a great addition and so but it wasn't like they took thirty transfers. I think they took seventeen or eighteen. But they took some real high quality guys and you know, with the resources that they have, they were able to land them. But it all starts with the vision of the head coach and the approach that you have towards roster building. Because if you just grab transfers or you just chase guys because other teams are doing it, it's probably not going to work out in your favor.
Speaker 5: Its Adam Rittenberg with us. What's also kind of interesting about it is people, I think often forget how many holdovers there are a lot of you know, there were a number of I should say handful of Tom Allen holdovers that had significant moments for him as well in the past two years and he made.
Speaker 9: A point to say, hey, listen, everyone's making a big deal about how the JM you guys are gone, Like what about the Indiana guys who have been here two years and you know they've become our JM you guys. And I think that's been maybe the most impressive element of what he's done there, is taking the guys he inherited who were clearly talented, and Ta deserves credit for that, em and his staff that they brought some good players there. But but Kurt and his staff have brought the most out of them. And you know, you look at Carter Smith, you look at you know, other other players who Isaiah Jones and you guy, the guys on the defensive side who have really blossomed under this staff. You know, they weren't JM you guys. They weren't guys who knew how.
Speaker 10: Kurt Signetti and Brian Haynes and the rest of that staff ticked.
Speaker 9: They have just embraced them, and they've risen up and and and become, you know, in some cases, elite players. Charlie Becker, So, I think that that's really an impressive part of it and also something that needs to be looked at when you're analyzing what Indiana can be again this year, you're naive if you don't think they're a playoff contender. They absolutely are, and they're probably going to be as long as he's there in most seasons. And part of that is the development piece. It's not just spending money on Josh Hoover and Nick Marsh and those defensive linemen from Notre Dame in Kansas State like, it's about inheriting players that maybe haven't blossomed yet and figuring out how to make them the best they can be. And they've done that.
Speaker 5: You mentioned Hoover and Marsh and I'll add in Turbo Richard as well. Impactful players at impactful positions offensively for Kurt Signetti coming up to defend their national title. How do you ultimately think that's that's going to work out, especially with that particular trio.
Speaker 2: An excellent groove.
Speaker 9: It obviously it starts with Josh, and you know, we know that Josh can be really productive, he was throughout his time at TCU. I think the key is decision making and turnovers and limiting those and obviously making great decisions in big moments.
Speaker 2: And Seg mentioned that.
Speaker 9: Yesterday that you know, Bernanda Mendoza was a great quarterback because of how he.
Speaker 10: Played in the fourth quarter of big games.
Speaker 9: And that's what Josh Hoover is going to have to do for this team to get back to the playoffs and make another run at the national title. And they're certainly having guys like Nick marsh and Charlie Becker, who was really one of the true stars of the postseason last year, you know, gives this Indiana passing game a real chance.
Speaker 2: And the thing that I love about.
Speaker 9: Their offense though, is their commitment to the run. No matter how a game is going, no matter how the opponent, you know, how good or bad they are, they are going to run the ball with multiple backs and that was a big part of their success last year. And I think, you know, guys like Turbo Richard, you know, will help them sustain that approach this year.
Speaker 5: Who most impresses you either on the inbound new or holdovers. Defensively, speaking for AYU this year.
Speaker 9: Well, I think Tyreek Tucker is a National Defensive Player of the Year candidate.
Speaker 10: He's certainly an Outland Trophy candidate in defensive tackle, and he is a jam you guy.
Speaker 9: Who's who's still there, and I I just I love the way he plays. I love how consistent he is, how durable he is, and that gives you a real chance, you know, when when you when you have a guy in the middle of your defensive line who can be disruptive and who's also really reliable. So you know, I think he's one and.
Speaker 12: You know that.
Speaker 9: I think that linebacking group of Elijah Hardy and Isaiah Jones gives you a lot of excitement. And you know, I was there in the spring and uh, you know, saw them practice, and you know that that's a that's an elite level defense.
Speaker 10: I think still and I know.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of confidence in terms of internally about what they can be.
Speaker 2: Even though they lose some really.
Speaker 9: Good players, you know, D'Angelo Pond's it's very difficult to replace the guy like that. I mean Dangel Pons is six foot or six y one. He's like a top ten pick. I mean, he was that good of a player. So that's up to replace. But they do hold over some really good players, and they also brought in some transfers who I think can help them at least at the at the Edgresher spot.
Speaker 5: Adam Rittenberg. He is of a ESPN on ESPN dot com talking Big ten college football on the any more Automotive group potline. So Barry Odom and the boiler Makers and trying to get back to the level of respectability and then make something happen in Wesse Lafayette with our program. Where do you expect them to be this season?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think they'll be better. It couldn't be a lot worse, but then that's not saying much.
Speaker 10: I just feel like they know. This felt like a full off season for them, and a.
Speaker 9: Large part of the struggle last year was how late they got some of the players on campus that they were going to be relying on. And I don't think they had that same issue from talking to Barry and I mean his general manager was there as well in Chicago.
Speaker 10: I think they feel like they've been.
Speaker 9: With this group now since the end of last year, with obviously some new additions, but some of their core pieces from last year are back, and I just think certain areas will be a little bit more reliable. Depth should should help them now. It's the schedule doesn't do them any favors. With Notre Dame and Wake Forest, a team that surprisingly won nine games last year.
Speaker 2: Jake Dicker is the heck.
Speaker 9: Of a coach who has roots here in the Midwest, so that's going to be a tough game. And then obviously the Big Ten schedule, but I think we'll see a perdu team that's more competitive returning quarterback and Ryan Brown, and I know that Barry is really excited about what he can do this year.
Speaker 5: So Adam Brittenberg with us. So yeah, obviously the major coaching landscape changes in college football. You can, to me make the significant argument and Arbor Happy Valley and then East Lansing. How will things work out in years number one for these trio of coaches and really two of the three places where the level of expectations are going to be substantial out of the G eight, no doubt.
Speaker 9: And I think of the three, you know, Penn State to me has the best chance to make the playoff, you know, because of you know who Matt brought with him from Iowa State, some really good players who have been in big games over the years, including quarterback Rock Obec, but also some really good defensive players and you know, alignment and on.
Speaker 10: Both sides of the ball, players like that. You know, they also have a very.
Speaker 9: Favorable schedule relatively speaking. You know, nobody out out of conference in a power for a league, and then a Big ten schedule that doesn't include Ohio State, Oregon, or Indiana, so you know, Penn State. Anything less than nine wins I think will be looked at a disappointing and if you win ten, you're probably in the playoffs. You're Michigan will be fascinating.
Speaker 10: You know, Kyle is sixty six years old. He's not gonna be coaching there for ten years.
Speaker 2: He's there to win.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they're ready to win at at an elite level, but I think they're a team that can be better than it was in certain elements last year.
Speaker 10: I think they're gonna run the ball really well.
Speaker 9: I think they're going to play good defense, possibly great defense, and his teams are always very strong on special teams. It was one of the strengths that had at Utah. I just don't know. The quarterback situation is a major question. If they're going to, you know, be a substantially better passing offense, and they've been really at the bottom of the FBS and passing the last couple.
Speaker 10: Of years, So that's certainly an area to watch.
Speaker 9: I think we're Michigan State. They've got a lot of work to do. I don't think the rosters where it needs to be. The league is very tough, and I think it's going to take some time for Pat Fitzgerald to get that thing going again. But you look at Indiana and you look at other examples, and you know if you have you feel you have the right coach and the right approach, they can rise up to the issue that I have with him is is the offense completely fell apart towards the end of his time at Northwestern. Even when they were winning some of some of those years, their offense was near the bottom and in almost every category. So if there, if they're more if they have it together on offense in Michigan State, I'll have more confidence that they can rise up a very tough Big ten ranks.
Speaker 10: So a little bit faster.
Speaker 5: Is so last year you beat the Ducks in your gene beat them again in the Peach Bowl to advance to the National Championship Game. For Dan Lanning and the Ducks, is this a championship game advancement or bust for this group that he has this year.
Speaker 9: I think it's a team that I hate to say this, it almost doesn't matter what they do in the regular season unless they lose enough games not to make the playoff, which would then be a major disappointment. But whether they win eleven, whether they win ten, it's about what they do in the playoffs, right because two years ago they were undefeated, number one team, won the Big Ten and then they just get blasted by Ohio State. This past year, again a really good team that just had lost to Indiana but was certainly capable of advancing in the playoff. They won two games and then Indiana blast them. So how they perform in the playoff is really going to tape how we look at the season for Oregon, and it's a big reason why Dante Moore came back at quarterback while their entire starting defensive line has come back. I think their offensive skill will be deeper and better than it was last year. They had a lot of injuries at running back, receiver, and tight end. If they can stay healthy at those positions, this should be a top five offense with Dante Moore leading the way. So I think, yeah, anything other than the deep playoff run will be looked at as disappointing given what Oregon has coming back.
Speaker 5: All right, hot seat, Lincoln Riley your number five, lukewarm. The hotter seat Matt Rule in Lincoln with the corn Huskers. Let's start with those two programs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't think MAT's on the hot seat. I mean they gave him an extension when all the Penn State stuff was going on. You know, whether they end up forgetting regretting it or not, what we'll find out. But they do not want to fire Matt Rules. So yeah, Lincoln Riley's in a really interesting place because he believes this is a team that can make the College Football Playoff. He's no longer complaining about what USC doesn't have or what he inherited from Clay Helton.
Speaker 10: They feel like this roster.
Speaker 9: Is certainly strong enough and doesn't have many obvious holes. And so the challenge for them is going to be their schedule. So they have five critical games, three at home with Washington, Oregon, and Ohio State, and then two on the road ten State in Indiana. And so I think they'll win at least one of those ones at home, but if they can win two and then split the road games, I think they're going to the College Football Playoff. But if they go one in four or zero in five in that stretch, then USC maybe looking for a new coach. It's that simple. And why this is such a huge season for Lincoln.
Speaker 5: How about in Wisconsin and Madison with Luke Fickle in company? Is this going to be a year where they do a lot more? And I'm assuming Badger fans would expect it, But what do you expect out of that program?
Speaker 2: I think they'll be better.
Speaker 9: I was up there watching them practice the spring. I think if they can stay healthier at key positions, namely quarterback because they've had no health at quarterback the last two years, that they're going to be a better football team. I think the challenge is can you get through September with limited injuries and decent enough morale Because you have Notre Dame to begin with at lambeau Field at the opener. Notre Dame hasn't played since last November. They're going to be incredibly fired up for this one and I think they'll probably win easily. And then Wisconsin also has to go to Penn State, so that if you can get through that September stretch, you have a schedule that isn't loaded with contenders. I don't think there's Ohio State, Indiana, Oregon on that schedule either. So Wisconsin's got an opportunity to pile up some wins and start to feel better about a trajectory. And from talking to Luke in Chicago, I think he feels much better about the leadership. He's excited about Colton Joseph, who's a different type of quarterback, dual threat coming in from from Old Dominion. They think they can run the ball a lot more efficiently this year, and then defensively, he like likes some of their star players there, Mason Posta among them. So they've got a chance. It's just, you know, how are they going to emerge from September with those two big games.
Speaker 5: Adam Brettenberg's with us regarding Big ten in college football, give me a surprise team or two in your estimation. As we said here right now, you.
Speaker 9: Know it's I don't know if Minnesota would be a surprise, but I think that they're a team that has been right on the cusp of breaking through winning seven eight games pretty much every year. I think with a returning.
Speaker 2: Quarterback and Drake Lindsay.
Speaker 9: They have one of the best pass rushers in college football and Anthony Smith, a lot of other returning players. I think they're one to watch potentially. And then Washington, you know, again, they were a team that took a step forward last year.
Speaker 2: They need to.
Speaker 9: Play better in the big games, especially away from Seattle, but they bring back Demon Williams junior, who briefly entered the transfer portal in January, and ultimately and Jed Fish was talking about the defense, you know, under the leadership of former Purdue head coach Ryan Walters, possibly being a top ten unit this year. That's how confident he feels in that side of the ball. And if that's the case, like they can be a very disruptive team. They go to usc Indiana has to go there, like that's gonna be a tough out if they can stay healthy.
Speaker 10: They didn't take a lot of transfers, which to me indicates that their.
Speaker 9: Coaching staff is really confident in who they have coming back. So I think Washington's a really interesting team to watch. And you know, as far as others, you know, Nebraska, maybe they finally put it together this year. I like their quarterback transfer Anthony Philandria. You know, Northwestern has Chip Kelly as their offensive coordinator, although they have a really tough schedule, so it might be tough to have major progress until year two. But yeah, I think I think Washington and Minnesota or two that I'm interested in.
Speaker 5: I'm going to ask you about this because AU kicks off their season again in defense of their national championship at home against North Texas and.
Speaker 3: The Main Green.
Speaker 5: They were good a year ago. I think they lost a little bit, but there's an interesting dynamic it work here. And I'm sure you've noticed that former Hoosier and Trace Jackson Davis, who was a standout baller and in the NBA right now of IU, his younger brother, Tavian Jackson, is quarterbacking the Mean Green. Does that stand out to you as one of the start to the season types of games, especially for the defending national champions.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, it's certainly interesting for Indiana fans because of the of the Jackson family ties to the school, But that situation is more common than you think because of the mobility of quarterbacks. You know, Aiden Childs, for example, left Michigan State. He's at Northwestern. Northwestern plays at Michigan State this year. Like those situations tend to happen. But I think the real intrigue is Indiana and hey, they're defending their national championship.
Speaker 10: How are they going to look?
Speaker 9: How's Josh Houver going to look? Is it going to feel the same as it did last year when they were so dominant really for start to finish in these.
Speaker 2: Non conference games?
Speaker 10: Or are they going to get off to a slow start.
Speaker 9: But yeah, at the Quarterback Reunion, even though it does happen around college football, it's always another layer too. You know, doesn't look like a superbly exciting game to start the season for IU.
Speaker 5: Adam Rittenberg of ESPN on ESPN dot com, I know you've been writing a lot regarding I you and your coverage of Chicago on the Big ten media days. What's on the horizon for you, Adam?
Speaker 9: Yeah, some national pieces coming out, one on quarterbacks and talking to coaches around the country on what they think of some of the top returning quarterbacks. Have I actually do working on a piece about the next Indiana and really diving into profiles of universities and programs that maybe we overlooked. I mean, I for one did not realize how large the Indiana alumni base was and how capable it was, and who else might have those ingredients along with the coach and administration and support to breakthrough. So that'll be another piece that we'll we'll have out in August.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that that dynamic and the Big Ten and IU and the SEC. That is pretty awesome because these are all scenarios where you never really thought you'd be having this discussion. Yet Adam, here we are. It's awesome, it is.
Speaker 9: And again, I you know, as someone who's covered the Big Ten for many years, when it was down, you really.
Speaker 10: Couldn't say anything right.
Speaker 9: The SEC would would would would talk its talk, and the Big Ten just had to kind of take it. And now the SEC is making these ridiculous arguments about depths and now their schedule is too hard. It's just laughable. From a big I loved what SIGG said, like like when when the Big Ten is down, we take it, and when you're down, you guys cry about it, Like that's absolutely what you thought would happen.
Speaker 10: If the table's ever turned, and now they have.
Speaker 9: And I don't know how long it's gonna last, but I'll tell you this, if Oregon wins the national title, and it's four for four with four different teams and the.
Speaker 2: CCS not in that game.
Speaker 9: It's going to be a really rough offseason for folks down south.
Speaker 5: Do you have a selection for the Big Ten title game right now?
Speaker 9: You know, it's hard not to think it's some combination of Oregon, Ohio State, Indiana, although again, as I know, the Penn State because of their schedule, could be sitting there, you know, at ten and two, eleven and one with really a chance to squeak in there because their schedule just isn't as tough as.
Speaker 10: Some of those other teams.
Speaker 9: But you're curious if USC can can can really back up with Lincoln is saying, and some of these other contenders Washington, Michigan and so forth. But I think it'll be some combo of IU, Oregon, and Ohio State again.
Speaker 5: Anam, we'll do it again soon, man. I appreciate the time. Good stuff, all right, thanks for having me, Adam Rittenberg of esp and ESPN dot com a college football Big Ten resource that was outstanding right there, really was all over the map, which we need to be. We didn't even bring up Brett bi La Money Illinois barely hit on Wisconsin, barely hit on Nebraska. Washington was a jetfish their coach. There's another one we didn't bring up where I think a lot of people think could be a surprise team of the Big Ten. We shall see, and we shall take a break. We'll come back. We'll go over what we've done so far today. We'll get you set for some state fair passes before the end of this show and exciting weekend the fever later on tonight. Did JMV takeover tomorrow night? Maybe some inclement weather, some stormy weather on the inbound. We'll find out right now, your weather updated? Are you ready? Cardisy at Fox fifty nine The Ride with JMV. Kids need their summer.
Speaker 1: Stop jacking with it that he three five and one oh seven five the fan.
Speaker 5: Don't jack with it. Mike's score right here. And a flock of seagulls.
Speaker 1: I love the flock of seagulls.
Speaker 5: You like this song? Yeah, dude, I saw a flock of seagulls maybe h four years ago, something like that, three four years ago around here. I'm still fat at the time. You're in the fat face. That's how you keep track of time like that? Yeah, I know it s f still fat and what's funny? I had no idea. It's like moving along. Everything's okay. I'm still hooping like that. I did walk a lot more than than I do now. But now Mike's score and a flock of seagulls. Somebody just asked me, if you won the Howard Jones tickets, let me know next week, because I've always said they normally email the winners concert tickets the week leading up to the show. So if you're still looking. For example, we gave away Howard Jones, it's Howard Jones, English Beat, Modern English and Wang Chung a week from tonight at Everwise Amphitheater. I'm going to be going. Howard Jones is going to join me coming up next week. I believe. I love Howard Jones. Always awesome. But that's it ever Wise coming up a week from tonight. But normally when we give away tickets promotions, I think send those out a couple of days prior to the shows. So sit tight on that one if you would not mind, because at some point that's going to be coming to you. And as well, you've got Garth Brooks that's coming up four dates in all the Gambridge field House in the not so distant future. So just keep me updated two and I will ask folks, tell folks exactly what needs to be done in that capacity and promotions. But protocol is again normally a couple of days prior, if not less. But watch your email when you get an email from US, either email or text. I'm assuming it's an email in this case. But yeah, coming up next week, you've got Howard Jones. I don't know what is what's this week? Do we know what's going on in rue off tonight or this weekend? I have not checked on that. I know next week you have Howard Jones and the concert, the eighties concert that I talked about it. Neverwise, I believe a Conte Prairie. You have the Fan four that is the Beatles tribute band. What's that rule offh this weekend? Anything? Train tomorrow? Oh yeah, Trump's sorry. Train is tomorrow and then sticks in Chicago on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, what's what's the guy's name Monahan from Train? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think that's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, something Monahan. He's actually been on here before too, Pat Monahan, which is the reason why I don't know his first name. Yeah, Pat Monahan, Train he was actually really good? Is train? Train is one of those bands to where no matter what's going on, they're on tour in the summertime and a lot of people go they're just a sing along group. What's what's the favorite Train song? Out?
Speaker 4: Drops a Jupiter?
Speaker 5: Nothing name now that song?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? What about I'm trying to think of. There are a couple of others there too, Drops of Jupiter? Is there something soul sister kind of thing?
Speaker 4: Drive By would be another one. They hate soul Sister too, Is that right?
Speaker 5: Is that what they do? I believe that they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a good call? Drive By is maybe my favorite.
Speaker 5: There is one and I'm trying to remember it right now that I can't. That's too bad. I don't even know how popular it is. But the ten most popular Train song that's Tomorrow Night?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 4: Yes? Have you ever heard Fifty Ways to Say Goodbye?
Speaker 5: That's what I like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one's really good?
Speaker 5: John, Yeah, yeah that yes, Yeah, I don't mind that fifty Ways to say Goodbye. I believe Pat Monaghan is from northern Ohio? Was he not around Cleveland? You guys are broth bad?
Speaker 4: This is bad ball knowledge.
Speaker 5: My guys are I think you guys are like home state bros. Right there. I believe so.
Speaker 3: So you got Erie Pennsylvania, Oh well, I mean that's close.
Speaker 5: That's northern Ohio, Pennsylvania through the Wonders were from too Erie, Pennsylvania. I'm just fictitiously. The Wonders were from Erie, Pennsylvania. Chicago and Sticks coming up on Sunday too great sing along bands for everybody to enjoy. So I have some fun with that, and my microphone keeps getting all limp here, what's happening?
Speaker 3: What was it during h all the time you hit it? We're getting soft on me right here, you hit it during the heavy interview. I think I wonder if anybody else heard that.
Speaker 5: Damn v I hear you talking about the pacers and diz owned. Do we know anything concretely yet? We do not know anything. And that's why I've been an advocate by saying, hey, one side is we don't know exactly what's coming up yet, but you have to be you need to be cost efficient for the fans. I think that's fair to say. I think that's incredibly fair to say. You have to be cost efficient for the fans. Otherwise it made drive you nuts.
Speaker 3: John, I'll add this into this conversation. Mike Vorkanov, He's works for the Athletic. He reported yesterday that the Wolves like finalized their deal with the Zone yea, and again it could look different for all these teams. But he was talking about there's a detail in here in his tweet that says they're making fifteen games free for fans to watch, which, like, I don't know how to take that because I wonder if maybe the price is too high and they're like, hey, we'll give you fifteen free games, Like that concerns me.
Speaker 4: There's nothing about the price in his tweet.
Speaker 5: And then what would we average that out? Well, do you know exactly for the timber Wolves in this case, which again could be different for the Pacers, what that would average out to per.
Speaker 3: Game that that I don't know because there's nothing yet as far as what the price would be for these packages.
Speaker 4: So I don't know. I really it's hard to say. It's hard to say, but.
Speaker 5: Because somebody who was telling me that that what it comes down to is maybe about six dollars a game if it's handling that capacity, And can.
Speaker 3: I be honest, John, like there's I mean, last year you could have went to a Pacers game in person for six dollars.
Speaker 5: It's set in the two hundred seas exactly. Well, I mean that's a nineteen win season exactly. But I mean, who knows, Like if this is going to be the future. I mean, it's only going to get more expensive, right, Like you're paying to go to games, you know, the same cost of where you could go to games.
Speaker 4: So I don't know, man, I don't it's definitely.
Speaker 3: I think you've done a great job talking about it this week, and Austin Karp was great in that conversation. But you're right, we don't know, and we kind of just need to wait and see until details come out and more teams start finalizing their deals with the zone.
Speaker 5: That will h This is not a time where you want to overextend anybody, and I'm assuming that everybody with the Pacers they have that in mind. You just don't want this to be well, this is a lone option, so we had to take it. Very important season, actually very important couple of seasons for this. The last thing the NBA teams jamv need, including the Pacers, to do. You got to put the fans. First, they could do the BS streaming and also get a local station for over the air broadcast for locals. But no, if that is not the case, I will not watch again. Jennifer, We'll see. Eric says, that's my My daughter has a job with seven Brew up here in Kocomo. Shout out to Kocomo, JAMV. I enjoyed Zach Kicks on the show a little bit earlier. You're going to do that again. We indeed will do that again. Zach Kicks of Locked on Colts was very good a little bit earlier today. All right, tell me this. I know we get a little bit of extra time coming up after the top of the hour. How much do we have.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have about ten minutes, John, not ten minutes. I can call an audible on that, but that's what it's looking like right now. Ten minutes of anything goes coming up at the top of the hour. So anything you guys want to talk about, we'll probably just do the same thing here too. Anything you guys want to discuss on anything goes that's coming up at the top of the hour, about ten minutes on the clock, we shall have that. I should also mention the reason why there's no hashtag gas Pat or Pat Sullivan today is because Pat is on vacation. I believe Pat is involved in a wedding in Florida during this show today, oddly timed slash scheduled wedding.
Speaker 5: Hey two, if you're in town for gen Con? Have you ever been to gen Con?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Me either? What's What's? Is there anybody there at What's gen Con? Are there any stars, any actors or actresses? Anything about gen Con? Is it like Days of the Dead when we had demon on here a couple of days ago? Is this gen Con? What's the highlight of gen Con? I don't know. Man dressing up like Obi wan Kenobi not the highlight.
Speaker 3: You ever seen the Leroy Jenkins video or is that reference going over your head?
Speaker 5: I have not seen Leroy Jenkins video. What is the Leroy Jenkins video?
Speaker 3: Just a I think Dungeons and Dragons famous viral clip, but yeah, that'd be the only thing.
Speaker 5: I Are there any like actors or actresses at gen Con? Because normally you have that, right, don't they have like like Q and A's with Maybe not somebody that was in Star Wars or a former Star Trek or I don't even know what all that entails today. I'm sure it's probably a lot of video games, now, is it not like video gaming? And so yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe I have to do some research on this and see if anybody's around here.
Speaker 5: Did anybody dress up as Thunder the Barbarian? You never watched? That cartoon had two year run fund. The reason why I know this is because I'll come home. This is serious. I'll come home from a JMV takeover and I'll get home maybe one one, one thirty in the morning, and I'll turn it on to Boomerang from the Cartoon Network and they'll have back to back episodes of sixties Johnny Quest is awesome, this with race. You ever watched the sixties Johnny Quest? Yeah? And Tim mathis And the actor most noted from Animal House is the voice of Johnny Quest when he was young. He was the voice in the nineteen sixties of Johnny Quest. And that was unique in the sixties because, you know, unlike most cartoons, I don't even know if there are any other cartoons out there, there were like losses of life, like dudes got whacked got off in Johnny Quest episodes, and that cartoon in the nineteen sixties, seriously like Henchmen were Alan so yeah, Johnny Quest But after that and had a two season run starting in nineteen eighty Thunder the Barbarian, and it was Thundar. I believe it took place in like where we are now in the two thousands. Thundar Ouhclaw the mock and Ariel who was he in nineteen eighty one? Who was the sorcerer? Ariel the smoking hot cartoon chick Aeriel. Let me tell you. I don't know if you've ever been turned on by any cartoon chicks, but that's it. Let me tell you Ariel, look up, look up, serious, look up, Aeriel from Thunderer to the Barbarians. Seeing it right now, I don't know who created that cartoon character. All right, well done, my brother, well done. Right there, Fundar Gen Con going on this weekend downtown Indie Gen Conners. If you're in town, welcome, enjoy and hit the district tip downtown not too far from you, guys are playing dungeons and Dragons on the sidewalk right there in front of the convention center, right there, right then and right there, all right, quick break, we'll come back we've got state Fair passes and anything goes as if we're not already there coming up here at the top of the hour, sit tight ninety three to five one oh seven five the.
Speaker 1: Fan the ride with JMV. That's why we played golf and relaxed.
Speaker 5: Okay, be the ball, sink the pt make the shot.
Speaker 1: You know a lot about golf that he three five and one oh seven five the fan.
Speaker 5: Fair passes number fifteen right now text line three one seven, two, three, nine, ten seventy State Fair passes number fifteen is going to go on us. This is train right here. What is it like something to say goodbye?
Speaker 4: Fifty ways to say goodbye?
Speaker 5: Let's just go for a second. Cauz it. Get yeah. I don't know the lyrics, obviously you sound like Kevin Bowen. No, I know I did those reads. They speed up clearly. He goes like a minute ten and they just squeeze it all into sixty seconds right there here. I crank this up by his part, Pat Monahanna train coming up tomorrow night at threw Off Music Center. I get number fifteen on the text line. I'm gonna look over here right now, and if you guys are half assing this, I may give these to myself. Three one seven, two, three nine, ten seventy Number fifteen's going to the State Fair far Fever tonight ten pm. The Tip nine thirty pre game. Debbie Antonelli will be doing the TV along with Pat Boyle, and she joined us a little bit earlier. Adam Rittenberg of ESPN Zach Hicks Lockdown Colts Podcast one oh seven five Thefan dot Com Mike in Brooklyn is right now. Hello, Mike JV.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 5: Good to hear from your pal. Howe things going to Brooklyn? All right?
Speaker 14: Yeah, listen, I'm psyching myself up for the season. You know, I've never entered season where I will. I haven't convinced myself that the Colts were going to win the Super Bowl, sure, irregardless of what my thoughts are, So I pulled out. I'm pulling out all the stops here with Indiana connections. Last weekend, I was in I'm doing the Guns N' Roses Triple Crown. I was in Saratoga last week and they're playing in MetLife Stadium on August twelfth, yeah, and in Vegas on August twenty second, and I will be there and I remember you saying that he's almost had them in Indiana, Indiana for the Indy five hundred, Right, So I'm thinking, yes, if all I have to do is Colts win the super Bowl, and then I need you to all do me a big favorite, you know, claim that Indiana, you know, leverage on Axel, you know, and let him be the performer for the super Bowl victory party and parade and I will be there.
Speaker 5: Got it got to be. What's your favorite GNR saw Mike, be honest with.
Speaker 14: You, I'll say a little for me. Actually, it's it's estranged. I just like the whole song, the lyrics, the way it's arranged. It's uh an epic.
Speaker 5: I gotta go mister, I always go, mister Brownstone.
Speaker 13: Good choice.
Speaker 5: And I like I like Rocket Queen too because they mix in whoever actual is having sex with in the studio at that moment. Yeah, I believe it was a bandmates. It was a bandmates girlfriend too, I think, yeah, yeah, man, no one of the you know what, And that's exactly what you would expect in an elite rock band. They had great music that we always wish should have been more, and a lot of issues. That's what a rock band's supposed to be, like, yeah.
Speaker 14: They definitely walked it like they poked it. And a funny story. We were there, so we got I got, I got former friends. We went up there.
Speaker 2: Most of these guys like Corse guys.
Speaker 14: So I was like, listen if they're trying to get me the Saratoga because I've never been, and I was like, listen, this is your shot.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 14: So anyway, we relate to the we were at the track all day Saturday. We relate right to the concert and we went after you went to this restaurant everything. And then when I was looking up like the concert thing, they said that Axel was actually in like a gelado place, that we were right there, and I was like, none of you guys could have gotten a July.
Speaker 4: We're all from the K.
Speaker 14: Nobody got a gelato craving that night that I could run into Axel and say, yo, what's up? Because these getting and these guys are like, yeah, I can't count on you guys or anything.
Speaker 1: Haha.
Speaker 5: I tell you, man, well listen, if they do that, then something special has to occur. There's no question.
Speaker 14: Yeah, man, you got to use the cold super Bowl victory. You's got to everybody in Indiana's got to clem Indiana. Put the leverage on On Axel, the greatest frontman that ever lived, in my opinion, for his Indiana roots. He's going to have to be at the parade and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: My brother, I appreciate it. Have a fantastic weekend. We'll see how things are going coming up next week. Okay, real you too, Mike and Brooklyn. Fulton's going to join us as a part of Anything Goes that's coming up on the other side, you guys want to join. At two three nine ten seventy, we've got about ten minutes on the clock for anything goes that is coming up next. Ninety three to five, one oh seven five the Fan, the ride with JMV. My vehicle's too big. Stop giggling, everybody, I'm talking about a vehicle. My vehicle is too big. Ninety three five and one oh seven five the fan. Alright, so manything goes. Caleb's over there, I'm John Anything goes at two three nine ten seventy for the better part of the next seven and a half minutes. Chime in here, jamb takeover tomorrow night be one oh five point seven six until midnight. It is another one of those extravagant whatever situations, and last weekend it was incredible. So we're gonna floor that son of a gun coming up tomorrow night. I'll promise you that with a JMV takeover All Requests Saturday night, the only show nationwide that does that. And then one of these days they're gonna realize that other stations, not just in the state of Indiana, but nationally need to do it too, one of these days because it is kick ass powered by Big Red Liquors. Tomorrow night, B one oh five point seven JMV. What'd you say you were playing with? These dudes from Florida? Tonight? Nine thirty is the tip time? It is that the arc down off of one thirty five and stones crossing the Center Grove area. Just a state of the art basketball facility that is just opened. So how do you open a state of the art basketball facility, Caleb? You let a bunch of old decrepit dudes have a tournament in it, and I was not going to play. They've got different age brackets. I'm fifty six and a half. I'm playing with a younger one, so I'll probably get my ass work tonight, and I'm playing with some dudes from Florida that need somebody. I don't know if they need somebody like me nine thirty tonight, and they use their nine minute quarters and officials, just like a real game. I promise myself I'd never do this, and here I am. But you saw what I did. I got to the tech stream and I talked a bunch of junk because I thought I'd be playing with Landis, but instead he's playing with somebody else, and I'm playing with a group of dudes I don't know.
Speaker 4: You see, Landis is out for Sunday, so that dang man.
Speaker 5: We're playing what does that say? Saint Jude?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where there's not multiple Saint Jude's, Because you know I went to multiple Greenwood.
Speaker 5: Christians on Wednesday night. You did on Wednesday night. I believe is that the one over there, right next to Ron Colly? I believe right.
Speaker 4: You can probably tell me.
Speaker 5: I don't know only who's the dude. I don't even know who's opening it up.
Speaker 4: I don't have any numbers.
Speaker 5: I bet you we're not going to have enough on Sunday morning, mark my words. I'm betting I'll be there though, it's like I will later on tonight for this nine thirty tip time. Good Lord, you're playing Pacific Time Letter on tonight, my man, Fulton? Is it two three, nine, ten seventy? This is anything goes? Hello, Fulton, Fulton? Are you there? But I am Heyboddy, go ahead, you better take me off a mute Palomino.
Speaker 12: You're fine, You're fine, John. You're about to go to my Annie and the Cast party tonight.
Speaker 5: You're doing?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 5: And where?
Speaker 1: What's my Danny the music?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, where's your party.
Speaker 8: Elward tonight?
Speaker 5: Okay, good for you, buddy, good for you. You got people with you?
Speaker 13: Ah yeah, I got my mom driving me up to Elwood, So we're gonna go to Elwood and watch the show for two hours.
Speaker 8: So it's gonna be a good one.
Speaker 5: Oh, Ellwood. I once got lost and ended up in Elwood. Is there a McClure gas station up there? That's where I got lost once upon a time. I am not sure it was either Elwood, No, its Elwood or Alexandria, one of the two. I can't remember.
Speaker 8: I have been to Airward so but I haven't seen the guests.
Speaker 5: What do you got for me? Pal Well?
Speaker 8: I'm going after the cast party, I'm going to Chicago and the stakes.
Speaker 5: Oh you are, you're going there coming up on Sunday. Good for you. Yeah, that's good. No, no, no, no, no, no, no right yeah, five to six to four.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I send you the video of the ball.
Speaker 5: Well, I saw it. How'd you foul that off your face? How'd that happen? Oh goodness, I don't think I've ever seen anybody swing a bat and then foul the pitch off their face. Well, the reason why, I think your timing was a little bit off there, faulting. To be honest with you, I think you were a little out in front of the pitch.
Speaker 13: Yeah, what happened was I was trying to hit the ball my sofa coach, yes, was trying to was trying to.
Speaker 8: Get the ball to me, and then I tried to sing it and it bounced on my helmet onto my head.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I saw that work right off your face. You know, I did not send it about it back out. You sent that to me on X but I didn't send it back out because I'm not standing for anybody making fun of my brother.
Speaker 9: Though.
Speaker 5: All right, so no, I don't want I didn't like that. Not normally in those situations people wear like a faceguard. You didn't have a face guard on, did you.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I will know.
Speaker 2: I do know this.
Speaker 5: I know you're tough enough to handle it. You feel okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I feel I feel better today.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 8: I've been I've been resting my head and everything.
Speaker 5: And uh, did you get a bruise out of it or anything?
Speaker 12: I don't think.
Speaker 8: I don't think I got a bruze, but it was it was like on the forehead or something.
Speaker 5: So yeah, well I'm glad. I am glad you're okay, because, like I said, I've never seen anybody foul a pitch off their face quite like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Uh, can you give a special shout out for Bill Smith in the entire cast for us.
Speaker 5: You're doing it right now, Pal, you're on the air right now. You're doing it yourself.
Speaker 13: Okay. I just wanted to say thank you to Bill Smith and on the cast of doing Ending the musical for me to be in part of the cast and everything, and I can't wait to do more.
Speaker 5: Shows with Bill Smith and the antic tatle You got that, Pal, enjoy your night, Thank you, buddy, I will thanks. That is the awesome Fulton right there. Jamb takeover coming up tomorrow night at six o'clock. We're gonna have a party on B one oh five point seven the Arc. Later on tonight, Caleb, great job out of you if you missed it. Earlier today Debbie Antonelli about the fever and the far Later on Tonight is Now