Speaker 1: Live from the Heart Blind and the Crossroads of America.
Speaker 2: It's Tony Katz today.
Speaker 1: So the economy shed twenty three thousand jobs in July. It missed the expectations, and the market.
Speaker 2: Said that's cool, and you said something.
Speaker 1: It's cool by us. We're fine with it. We're good with it, no problem. As a matter of fact, we'll go up, Tony Katz. Tony Katz today, Good to be with you. There are reasons, though, there are reasons, including, of course, inflation and rate hikes. Doctor Mattwell joined as economist at the University of Indianapolis. I started to understand this one early, but I want to understand what's in the jobs report. First, you took a look at it. We've got jobs report, We've got unemployment numbers. Walk me through what the report says, the Job's report, and what it says to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I'm going to start off by telling you that the headline is bad. And just like the other day we talked about this. You know, headlines are bad, but when you look under the hood, it's actually good for the economy, believe it or not. So let's start with the headline minus twenty three thousand jobs, which is really interesting because the expectation is plus eight eighty thousand, so this was one hundred thousand job myths. That's a big deal. But let's now start looking underneath the hood. Unemployment rate dropped from four point two to four point one percent. That's good, okay, Now for the bad. The only reason to drop is because the participation rate declined. Fewer people are looking for jobs. Fewer people are in the workforce. Now more bad news for you. Tony, May and June were revised down by one hundred and three thousand jobs, so people didn't get employed this quarter. Argue this month, two big revisions. I mean, there's a lot going on there that's not good. But there is a good part to this. The private industry gained thirty thousand jobs, so there was a growth in private and the government lost fifty three thousand. This was all government job loss, so as far as the market's concerned, good Again, back to the same scene we've been talking about. Government is contracting, private industry is growing, and if you look across the board, there's some pretty good information in this. I mean, construction twenty two thousand jobs up, durable goods manufacturing eighteen thousand jobs up, Transportation warehousing ten thousand jobs up. I mean, there is good news in this report for the private economy, and wages didn't grow that much. I know, again that sounds bad, but there's a story behind this and why this job's report is loved by the market.
Speaker 1: So I've with you on the government stuff, and I have discussed this now in a couple of places. Your point that GDP gross domestic product one point five percent bad headline. But if government spending juices GDP, we had less government spend, which is good for us the taxpayer. It just makes the GDP number look worse. But yet, when you look as you describe it, under the hood, things on some fundamentals, specifically manufacturing, very very solid. When I took a look at market response and I watched the futures go up one hundred points in a blink of an eye after this report came out, it became pretty clear to me. And I feel like all this talking together has finally gotten me some level of degree, maybe only in associates, but still am on my way that what they saw is the job market might be weaker. So those in the federal Reserve who are thinking about rate hikes to tamp down and tamper down inflation, might think twice and no rate hikes is where the market wants to be true or false.
Speaker 3: Uh close, tony close, I'm giving you a B, not an A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, teacher, ever.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Well, every time someone gets a bad grade, that's what they tell me. You're very close. The reason was the unemployment rate drop. So it's not that the job market is bad, it's that the wage growth is not exorbitant. Wage growth would indicate inflation. So the bad part where you're correct is in quotes, wage inflation is not there. And the unemployment rate stayed at four point one, I mean four two to four to one, so we didn't have hot unemployment. If we had significantly increasing unemployment, there would be pressure on the Fed to cut rates. There's inflation, which seems to be in this case moderate not outrageous. Moderate, which is less pressure to increase rates. So the said, here's what happened this morning. In the markets, there is a fifty seven percent chance that said was going to do a rate hike in September. There's stuff on Wall Street and in the options market, in futures market that predicts this that went down as soon as this came out. As soon as it came out the news on the unemployment, that probability dropped from fifty seven percent to forty seven percent. So the headline is this inflation argues for a hike, employment argues against it. And this morning the employment one.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Matt will the economist from the University of Indianapolis. So when you talk about winning this back and forth, this seems to be a non scientific struggle. This only seems to be a reaction struggle. Am I right about that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, that's exactly what's happening.
Speaker 2: So the reaction from Wall Street was that the.
Speaker 3: Lack of.
Speaker 1: Labor participation, which would show us that we don't have wage inflation, means that everything is getting better.
Speaker 3: Yes, But your phrase reaction is why you might get an as on this now, because what happened is it's the reaction to the latest piece of news. You and I the other day talked about the PCE very high, CPI, eh okay, PPI terrible. That was Then today's news is, look, unemployment is pretty flat. That's good, wage increase not going through the roof. So what happened here is today's most immediate current news reaction is okay, inflation under control, no rate change. So that's what the market saw. The latest reaction. Now you know, something could happen tomorrow and completely changed the game again. But this is what the market's doing with the news that got today. Okay, unemployment's fine, wage inflacement, inflation is reasonable, no reason to overreact here. So the Fed again only a forty four percent chance they're going to do a rate increase. Now the market likes that. The market liked it so much that as soon as they got that information, the futures jump. NASDAK futures immediately went up one point one percent, S and T futures went up half a percent instantly instantly on the news coming out. And the tenure treasury, which you talked about, the tenure treasury sell eight BIPs eight basis points down to four point one six or the two year treasury I mean, and the ten year also went down to four point six to one immediately reaction lower treasury rates. Market bumped both Nasdaq and SMP across the board. The market loves this.
Speaker 1: Can't discuss something else that I'm surprised I haven't heard from Beat since the Treasure Secretary or President Trump that the US trade deficit contracted. It went to seventy three point three billion in June from seventy seven point six billion in May. That story just came out earlier this week. Everything about tariffs is about trade deficits, that somehow trade deficits are the end of civilization.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that they are.
Speaker 1: I believe it's a bad reason to implement tariffs as a concept.
Speaker 2: Does this trade deficit going down not?
Speaker 1: Does that have an effect on people, on how people see the market, manufacturing, futures, et cetera.
Speaker 3: No, when you say people, if you're talking about Wall Street and financial experts, no, because actually what you saw was a blip. The trade deficits has been growing since tariff institution has been stabilized, and this is exactly what I consider a good thing. Again, I'm a fan of trade deficits. I'm not against them because to cause foreign direct investment, we buy lots of cheap crap from overseas, and those dollars that we spend flow back into the United States in the form of investing in our country, which is how you grow your economy. So I've got lots of research on this. I'm a fan of these trade deficits, so I don't think he made a comment about it because it was just a blip. And if he here's the big deal if he were to bring up the topic, Tony, the secret between you and me. If he were to bring that topic up, then everyone would start talking about Wait, the trade deficits have been growing significantly since you put the terrorists in place, So I think he wants to avoid that topic altogether.
Speaker 1: Talking to doctor Matt Will, economists at the University of Indianapolis, Let's continue the conversation if we would, if we can, because I have mentioned that there have been a couple of FED governors before this report came out today and the market is making their bet. A couple of FED governors have said it's time for a rate increase. The inflation is not down, we need a rate hike. Are are they correct? Does this report change them at all?
Speaker 3: It changes them? They're correct that inflation isn't gone, but their solution is wrong, and this report gives wash some time to adjust. And this is where it gets that complex assets thing again. They had a legitimate point, do you want to camp down inflation and one of the tools you do it is to increase rates. Well, when you increase rates, that's going to decrease investment because money costs more. So that's a you know, one of the things Trump always argues against. But there's another way to control inflation, and that's what Warsh is trying to do. He's slowly moving the ship. He Slowly's got this commission going. It's going to look at selling assets off the balance sheet. Good for him. So he's working on that, and this report gives him cover. It gives him more time to let his political technique, his little commission do its job, because he's going to be able to say to these three governors, Okay, hold on, can't you see look, unemployment flat, no reason to increase rates. Everything's wonderful right now, people go back into your corner. So I think this buys him time to not worry about the whole rate situation while he gets his ducks in line to do a huge asset sale. And I think he's going to pull it off. I'm confident, I'm patient, and I think he's going to succeed.
Speaker 1: I want to see it happen, like I want to see how that plays out. But there were some other things that happen I want people to be aware of in the market, and you've been making mention of this. We've talked often about layoffs, right, a lot of layoffs in tech Wallstreet Journal, discussing the fact that the new data shows the job cuts are down forty one percent so far this year, which would make one believe that, Okay, we've done enough cutting. Let's actually see if our AI investments increased productivity. Maybe we just really need these people. There's only so much you can cut. We saw a business to run products to sell, et cetera. But within this is the recognition that software is getting.
Speaker 2: The living, not kicked out of it.
Speaker 1: That when we talk all about the technology and AI transforming the economy and all that jazz software, I don't know if they mean software as a service or software in general is getting slapped around.
Speaker 2: What is happening in that in that sector?
Speaker 3: Well, I like what you said. You said productivity, and we've seen, in fact, today's report had a two percent increase in productivity. So that is a side benefit at a consequence the main benefit of AI. So what's happening And you're right, it's SaaS as a service, software as a service, I should say. And what's happening is companies like work Day and Salesforce and Adobe, and we talked about the other day, IBM while sixty nine billion dollars in value in one single day because there's software got killed. So what's happening is AI is replacing software. I'll give you my own personal example. I've got to put together this schedule of classes for students. It takes forever to go through all the gyrations and the formulas, and I now have an AI that can do it in minutes compared todays. There's software on the market that does that. Well, the people that sell that software, they're not selling the software. I can just turn on my AI, tell it what I want, and it gives me the same output. That is what's happening to companies like Workday and Salesforce and Adobe and IBM. They're getting beaten down because people can go on their computer on their phone and get the same output quality that they were getting from a piece of software that costs them a fortune just two years ago.
Speaker 1: How does this play into overall tech sector? Are there companies that care about their software products or are they willing to sacrifice at all to the U on the altar of AI, because that's the only thing that matters.
Speaker 3: You know what, I don't like this phrase, but I have to use it. It's a massive paradigm shift.
Speaker 2: What phrase. You're right about that?
Speaker 3: You know again, I don't like using that phrase, but that's what's happening. It's what companies are doing. Is it's literally shoepayers creative destruction that you and I have talked about before. This whole software industry is being upended. It's not going to disappear, it's going to reformulate. So people companies that are willing to say, Okay, we're going to look at this differently. So instead of hiring IBM to write some software, I'm going to hire a bunch of AI experts and they're going to develop prompts and custom gems and custom GPPs, and they're going to create these AI environment so that any one of my lower level employees can do the same thing that that software was doing before at a cheaper price. So they're really transforming their businesses away from reliance on software which is static. You've got to buy updates. You know, it has bugs. Yeah, AI is not perfect, but it can do the job much easier, quicker, and with less overhead. So companies are just transforming, they still have to do the same thing, Tony. You still got to edit your audio and your videos, and you've got to get them published on your various platforms. Well, now the AI is going to alleviate your need to buy a bunch of software to do.
Speaker 1: That, Doctor Matt Will, economists at the University of Indianapolis. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us more to get to this is Tony Katz today.