Speaker 1: Game week, preseason game week. I guess we should probably preface by that it's we're back. It is Colt's Corner with myself, Kevin bow and Eddie Garrison is with me. Off to Baltimore. Actually today we're recording this Monday morning, so we've got definitely a few training camp practices to recap since our last POD and joint practice coming up Tuesday afternoon, preseason opener Thursday nights.
Speaker 2: Eddie, how are you, sir?
Speaker 3: I'm great. Happy Back to school week so some freedom for you and missus Bowen during the day.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, no, that is that is fair. Yeah, it's been a little bit of a tag team effort here last couple of weeks. So yes, looking forward to both Max and Rosie back to school. And I believe IPS starts this week, so Innneapolis Public schools back and we are starting to inch. The crowds are getting a little bit smaller at Grand Park. Our weekday practices are virtually done. Honestly, we only have four more practices Saturday, Sunday, Monday four o'clock I believe start time each of those days, and then next Thursday is the joint practice with Green Bay and that's it four o'clock. So, yeah, it really was a very front loaded.
Speaker 3: That's actually three o'clock. I take that back camp is it three o'clock? Yeah, three to five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very frontloaded camp.
Speaker 1: And I don't recall the Colts ever having a joint practice on the road this early in camp. You know, part of that is your preseason schedule. So again in Baltimore, I think, you know, they're a great valoulation. They're honestly the betting favor right now really win the Super Bowl. I think it's slight over the likes of Kansas City and Philly and Buffalo, but yeah, they are that so well Chuck Bogano action right. The as system with them so should be really a good volation point because I you know, I will say this, Eddie, August sample sizes are small. Yeah, August sample sizes can be dangerous, yes they can. August sample sizes in recent years with the Colts have largely been pretty accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Last year Anthony Richardson got laughed at by the Cincinnati defense, remember that and the Joan practice. Oh really laughing at we're running too much or not being able to throw?
Speaker 2: Well, what happened exactly. You know, I think back to a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: I remember the Colts played their starters a little bit against Buffalo's backups. I remember that in the preseason game, and the Buffalo backups whipped them. Now again, you know, we sat here and thought, well, it's just kind of one quarter. You know, who cares. And I get that the Lions went undefeated of the year, they went oh and sixteen in the preseason, and the Colts oftentimes lost a ton in the Manning years in the preseason. But weirdly with this franchise lately, the August you know, glimpses and flashes of it have led to some concrete info. So again I think with Baltimore Green Bay, two good measuring sticks, and we'll see how this weekend next week unfolds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kind of echoes what Jim, Bob Cooter and Lou and Arimo said on Saturday, Like they there was a ton of questions about, like, hey, how do you think you know so and so it's performed in campas far what do you like, whatever, you liked this, that and the other, and both of them essentially flat out said like it's hard to evaluate these when we're going up against each other. But and you've really kind of figure out what you got and who you got and what kind of season some players are going to have when these joint practices start rolling around. And they were both looking forward to Baltimore tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's come back to Thursday night, Eddie. So we'll talk about Thursday's practice, Saturday, and Sunday here on this pod. Good amount of twital questions and I would say kind of a variety, So looking forward to that as always. But I'll start here with the night practice Thursday. Tremendous idea about Shane Steiken. I mean, if you have that's your only experience in an NFL practice, you were like, wait, I need to come to more of these. It was entertaining. The lights feel, of course, brings just a little bit more of I think this is a cool atmosphere. But they did a ton of eleven on eleven work. Daniel Jones through it twenty seven times in practice. I think Richardson threw at nineteen. Those are big, big numbers from both of those quarterbacks there, and I would say the qbs were really good and Richardson had, you know, some big time fireworks. Now, just like yesterday's practice, the Colts wore down three of their top five corners in that practice. And you know, Eddie, my general thought on Richardson is this, and I thought the Shane Styken quote after that Thursday practice kind of agreed.
Speaker 2: With my sentiment.
Speaker 1: I largely think if you were to do a one week highlight reel of Anthony Richardson's first training camp week ever in the NFL, the twenty twenty four first week of camp and then this year, you would watch the three and if I made you go to the eye doctor and say, hey, which one's the clearest, you would say twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: So I just think of it's generally been cleaner, clearer, less turnover worthy balls, less ground balls, less air mail hitting the rooster, you know, those sorts of egregious throws. There's been fewer of those.
Speaker 1: And then again, I thought last Thursday he sprinkled in some big time deep balls. Adie Mitchell and Ashton Doolan had really good camps. You know, there was a moment in that Thursday night practice where Jones went first with the starters and he his drive kind of stalled out. I think Richardson was maybe incomplete drying a deep ball or a deep ish ball on his first play with than the second unit, and then he on court one to Doolin, and it was just one of those reminders of like, are you gonna live with the dink and dunk? Are you gonna live with one that is more willing to throw it down the field and oftentimes more accurate.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Now again there's risk, but that's the dilemma that Shane Second has to have. Are you going to live with the quarterback that's more predictable Daniel Jones or the one that again can maybe give you a little bit more feast or famine. You know that Thursday night practice because Saturday was awful for the two qbs, but that had probably been a run of like three or four practices where both of them not only I don't think of throwing a pick in eleven on eleven, I don't recall many interceptible balls even you know, like drops from from the defense.
Speaker 2: So that was probably the highlight of the night.
Speaker 1: I did think to Lot too, just like yesterday, I thought he led a pretty good pass rush effort there, and that was without Buckner. So if you go back that Thursday night practice, Adie, they didn't have they probably didn't have their best player at every level. Mm hmm Buckner, Zire Franklin. And then I guess you can debate on the back end who your best player is, but to various wards. So again I thought Ady Mitchell was really good. I thought Duelan was good. I thought, well, Mallory continues to kind of stack some days together. Obviously, the highlight of that Thursday night was that Tyler Warren catch. And you know, I think, and you watch it full speed, it really stands out, really stood out to me at least. You just don't see tight ends make catches like that. No, you don't see tight ends have that type of body control in the air falling to the ground. Stab it with the left Jalen Carlis had beautiful coverage, beautiful coverage, and it's funny you go back and you watch it. I thought Camra Groan's reaction in the background was great, just the immediate hands of the helmet, like I can't believe that just happened. Again, Carlis the right when Daniel Jones threw it, I go, that's an that's an overthrow. That might even be you know, picked, So that is something that stood out. But yeah, you know, the corner injuries obviously starting to pile up a little bit. They've been down three of their five starters. With that, ooh, we got an ore from the depth chart. Daniel Jones or Anthony.
Speaker 3: Is not the only or.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to score right now. Tanner Bordolini is your starter. I would say that's probably been more we've seen so far.
Speaker 3: No Dandy Pinter missed practice on Saturday. Was he back out there on Sunday back yesterday? Okay, I think that is your only or as I go through the whole depth chart.
Speaker 1: So that was something that I thought kind of stood out, and that you know, they we saw them sign the two corners as well, you know we hadn't. Yeah, that's usually a tell of Jalen Jones is going to miss time, Juju Brent's gonna miss time. I think it was a little bit more severe on the Jalen Jones front than it was on the Juju Brents front. But yeah, I thought it was a good night for the pressure guys. You know, guys that you would list as having a lot of pressure on the roster. I e a lot to I E. You know Quiddy pay had a big play to end practice. You know Mitchell, you know those sorts of guys that you look at, So.
Speaker 2: Starting there, Eddie.
Speaker 1: I thought, Thursday night great night for entertainment practice and also probably the most fireworks we've seen so far camp.
Speaker 3: Just a reminder all of these notebook recapture of one O seven five to fan dot com and of course if you go to one seven five the fan on Twitter, you can see Kevin's beautiful face because he just got a haircut in a fresh clean shave.
Speaker 2: I did much needed both of those things. Yes, much much needed.
Speaker 1: Let's transition to Saturday. I thought, probably the rockiest day of camp so far. It does seem like when they get into the red zone stuff.
Speaker 3: I will take blame for that. I was there Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were there, so you you definitely saw it.
Speaker 1: You see guys struggle with throwing, the anticipation, throwing, vacuracy, the windows get tighter. Richardson was about three of ten, was picked I think twice, or maybe should have been picked twice. I think Walmack might have dropped one. Kennymore definitely got him on one. Daniel Jones was picked twice and seven on seven. I thought Jones was less worse, if that is the right way to put it. Yeah, he had a two minute drive to end practice. I thought there's a good note to end it. Whereas Richardson I think stalled out.
Speaker 3: They got a first down on the first play, then they went three and out.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: So you know, this is where you get into a little bit of like, all right, you know how much or a are you gonna throw it? Red zone goal to go? I mean to me, I've said this before. I think one of their greatest strengths is the football team this year will be running the ball in those short yard each moments. So I don't think they're just gonna drop back and throw it as much as they did and that. Now that might sound like I'm, you know, trying to make excuses for the quarterbacks, but I do think there is some you know, kind of context around it.
Speaker 3: I think play action becames just a huge part of their offense in the red zone two you.
Speaker 2: And I mean again, they're gonna move worn all over and they're gonna do funky stuff with you know, tight ends and unbalanced lines and you know, quarterback run obviously is gonna be a huge, huge part of it.
Speaker 1: So I think that is all necessary context when you talk about that. But nonetheless, it was a really poor day for those guys. Ward was back. You know, if these last three practices, it's like the day Ward has been there, the DB's been really good and he had a big pass deflection in that practice, whereas when he has been out there, they've kind of feasted on them. I guess we should say Spencer Schrader is probably the overwhelming leader right now in the kicker battle. Brian Jason did share those numbers after practice, like eighty seven percent to seventy four him and Maddocks.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: Ho, so is that the right pronunciation? Did we get that correct? I don't know, we mean, he asked Matt Taylor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know that's yeah. I was like, oh, is it Joe Bachi? Is it Joe Batchie Bochi?
Speaker 3: Like the ball?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, like the ball. I thought the quarterbacks bounced back yesterday. Now again you're down three or four quarterbacks. I had them both Town of fourteen. I thought it was Riley Leonard's best day of work. That's probably not saying a whole lot. He's been largely inaccurate through this camp, but he was slinging that like it was, you know, second half of the Ohio State game there for a while, and again a lot too in that D line.
Speaker 2: Very disruptive from both sides of the line.
Speaker 1: I will say, Eddie, I didn't think we walk into camp with this being a positioned battle, but I would say that like it now might be one of my eyes, and that is Jalen Carlis Is starting job Mixesia Franklin. When you were out there on Saturday, Carlais was doing second teamwork and then yesterday he didn't practice.
Speaker 2: So I just think with how a guy like Joe Bachi has.
Speaker 3: Played and has been in the mix, and the familiarity between Bachi and Arimo Rimo crack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great point. I don't know. That's one that.
Speaker 1: If I could use white out? Do they still use white out? The kids still do the white out thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, white out the old sharpie that you might have had there on Carlis so and again he messed all the spring with his own shoulder situation and recovering from that. So you know, as we start to look ahead to doing practice preseason games. Okay, what are we watching for? Linebacker? Is one that has heavy watching for me, and it's kind of three.
Speaker 2: Levels, Eddie.
Speaker 1: One is that spot, is that starting job up for grabs? Two is hire Franklin's overall Look seven on seven yesterday, we're still waiting eleven on eleven. You can look at the Franklin thing. Half a full or half empty. Half full says Oh, he's never been hurt, He'll be fine. Well, half empty says He's never missed three months in the NFL. He's never had a surgery in the NFL, He's nearing thirty. How does he react to having this miss time? And then the third layer to it would just be the overall depth in that room, which I think is a question we've had now for a while.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing, unfortunately for me practice was just the ugly scene that we saw injury wise Savon Ahmed. Yeah, and it was probably one of the more probably one of the more jarring eerie scenes I've seen. It was reminiscent of de Reice Fountain a few years ago. I believe that was against the Browns in a joint practice, but I guess just to kind of set the scene for everybody. Shane Sikin has done this, i'd say a handful of times throughout camp, and that he has allowed a full tackling period with the third unit. And on the play, Akmed breaks one and he's running down the sideline and you see Trey Washington, the undrafted free agent at all miss jump kind of on his back from behind, and I would say Washington kind of was almost writing him for probably five to six yards, And it was one of those moments, Eddie, where it started to get like I like to watch plays like twenty or thirty yards ahead just to kind of get a little leg land. So by this point the play was right in front of me, and I remember as like Washington was kind of pulling against him to slow him down. I remember thinking to myself, oh my, it's about to be a hip drop moment. Like it had gotten to that point of the play of like is Washington gonna let up HM or is Achmed just naturally going to go down like this is? This is not It's one of those awkward periods right now of where it could really get ugly, and unfortunately it did. Whereas Washington tries to complete the tackle. And I say that in quotes, and it looked and again I haven't watched the replay nor I don't even know if it's out there, but watching it live, it certainly looked like the definition of a hip drop. And as soon as he went down, you just knew in the field got very quiet, very quickly, and the only thing you heard was him screaming. And it was again one of the more eerie scenes I've seen on a on a practice field, and you know, very quickly everybody's on a knee on the field, and you know, players are, you know, circling around and think cam Binen led them in prayer. It did look like Chris Bouard went over to Trey Washington pretty quickly right after the play. I assumed some sort of consoling to him because he was clearly pretty shooken up. And you know, I thought Zion Franklin had some pretty profound words after practic just in describing that play from both sides of it, you know, Akhmed you feel for him big time. He isn't getting up there in age as a running back. He's kind of been a journeyman. He was on the practice squad last year, he probably realizes what any injury means for a running back of that age. And then in Washington's case, it's a live tackling period. He's an undrafted free agent. You're trying to show hustle, You're trying to do anything and everything.
Speaker 2: So I can sit.
Speaker 1: You know, when you watch it live, Sure, the reaction is I'll cut his ass. You know, that's the natural raw reaction. You know, there's some fans in the stands that even reacted to him, and like, I, yes, would you like to think he knows that better? But you know how the college game is. In the college game, plays like that are allowed. The NFL game, it's not. Honestly, I thought of the Nick Cross play last year in camp when he tackled Josh Dowens from behind and it cost Josh Downs a month plus. Yeah, And you know when you think about that play, Eddie, that was not in a live tackling period.
Speaker 2: And their Cross has been in the league.
Speaker 1: For two, you know years, three years, I guess, And so you know that one I you could almost make argument like you know there should have been I guess, you know, more punishment because you aren't supposed to be taking anybody to the ground, whereas like Washington, you were allowed to take ocman to the ground, obviously not in the manner that he did.
Speaker 2: So it just it's just awful.
Speaker 1: It's an awful scene for for both and obviously aucamed more because you know it, the leg looked awful and boom, it's the air cast and it's stretchered off. The next thing you know, you see the ambulance going across one hundred and ninety first Street and all of it.
Speaker 2: There, So certainly some thoughts with him.
Speaker 1: I thought it was one of the more subdued chainstike in post practice opening statements that he's had there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I wanted to make sure that we mentioned that's.
Speaker 1: Anything else, Adie from over the weekend in the last couple of days of camp you wanted to get to before We will play Kenny Moore the second We caught up with him on moving day, and I still think it's relatively.
Speaker 2: Timeless, So we'll play that here for you up coming.
Speaker 3: Ady Mitchell has had a good second week. Last week of practices, it felt like compared to the opening week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree. You know, the opinion week was a struggle and the hands weren't working. I think I'm using Ady Mitchell's words with that, And then you know he's kind of taken steps this past week. First shows the one on one cooking of Taveri's ward, then it was some seven on seven stuff. Then Thursday night it was the eleven on eleven and you know that's the thing, like, I want to watch him Thursday night, this Thursday night against Baltimore. Yeah, because it's the team set. He is one of the best one on one white outs I've ever seen in a camp setting. To me, it's more of the when timing becomes premium and there's ten other offensive players and ten other defensive players in the field, can you prove to be reliable for your quarterback? He says something to that effect the other day of like, I've got to get right with the QBS. I think that's kind of his way of saying I haven't been on the same page with him, and you know, how do I go about that?
Speaker 3: So I thought he also was a little you know opening. He goes, Yeah, I get open different than the other guys, Like I don't. I use tempo and I use speed to generate you know, separation. I don't use whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And it's in a good way to create separation. I mean, he gets open, but I understand while there is some timing differences. I'll be obviously very unterested to how much playing time the starters get on Thursday.
Speaker 2: It sounds like the plan with the quarterback is both will.
Speaker 1: Play and one guy will take the majority of them Thursday and the other guy will take the majority of them and gets screen.
Speaker 2: Bay So and that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I think when you have three preseason games and then maybe after that you make a decision one way or the other. It didn't sound like he was as open as playing the starting defense.
Speaker 2: As I would like to see.
Speaker 1: He Shane stagn kind of he didn't have much urgency and describing the need to play the starting defense too too much so.
Speaker 3: As they have the joint practice tomorrow Tuesday against Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you only have two. You know, in a lot of these years you've had three or even four.
Speaker 1: So I don't it's a fair question, Eddie, But I don't, you know, you hear coach oftentimes saying, well, they're not gonna play their starters, so we're not gonna play ours. I'm like, well, they're the Super Bowl favorite. You're not m So it's not apples to apples. They've had Lamar Jackson for seven years now, Like it's not like that to me is not comparable really, So I get the guys get heard, and you know, you never know what can happen. But I'd like to see the starters play a little bit more. But it sounds like on that side of the ball, it will not happen there. Unless you've got anything else to add, Eddie, let's do a little Kenny Moore action. This was from again Moving day Colt's training camps. A big picture combo here the man on the side of the building.
Speaker 2: A great story. Kenny Moore, the second Kenny Moore the second year nine.
Speaker 4: Any you have that right wherever you where's the time going?
Speaker 2: We might have to dump that one. Mark. How's the body?
Speaker 5: The body's great? Body's great.
Speaker 1: How much is training different for you? Like June July when you hit summer vacation. What did it look like in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, what does it look like now twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: I think just as a young player in Earligue, you were just trying to figure out what is act.
Speaker 5: That my body the need?
Speaker 4: Where do I want to go as far as you know, how does my body feel? I think I was feeling worse during that time of twenty seventeen. I mean it sounds crazy, but you know you're going from straight from college to the draft to you know, obviously the compound and everything straight to OTAs you know, mini camps and all that stuff. So I didn't really get much of a break. But obviously you're nine and I've got some breaks after the season, spring training, and then you get another break after that. So over the years i'd be get to learn what exactly I need from my body to be ready for day one and training camp.
Speaker 6: Kenny, what's the biggest difference or growth you've kind of seeing yourself from you know, being undrafted till year nine and you know, earning a couple of contracts, Like, what's been the biggest overall lesson that you've kind of taken away from this game so far?
Speaker 5: Ooh, that's a great question.
Speaker 4: I think the first thing that popped it in my head was management and managing my mental, my physical, and my emotional and you know, every year you playing in the league or every year that kind of goes by you somehow. You beginning to know more people, you begin to do more stuff, you gain more interest, you find out what I like and dislike. So I think managing all those things to make sure you can go back out and perform at a high level, and make sure you can go out and delegate all this time to other people, the family, yourself, the balance the management of all the those things is is very important. So I think for me personally, the management space of my life has been.
Speaker 6: Definitely most important along those lines of having like other responsibilities. I know you're, you know, involved with the NFLPA as far as the colts and things like that. How much do you pay attention to what happened this offseason as far as you know the reports that hey, they were you know, colluding to not give you all guaranteed contracts and things of that nature.
Speaker 4: Well, those are those are things that I'm still learning about. I think those are just ongoing things. Like every week it's kind of something new coming out, so we'll get to the bottom of it with time. But yeah, I'm I'm just not learning about those things in the last couple of weeks or so. It's not nothing that I was already aware of in years prior to this one. So I think it's news to everybody. I think it's business is crazy, obviously, and there's a lot of more that goes into a lot of things around here and so.
Speaker 5: And that's all I have to say about it.
Speaker 1: Seal of a story. Undrafted free agent Kenny more than second. It's had a great NFL career and it's year nine upcoming here for the cult, he joins us here live.
Speaker 2: At Grand Park.
Speaker 1: Kenny, what what's left on the individual? I don't know if you're a big goal guy, but on the individual list for you to achieve in your NFL careering.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I keep tearsing.
Speaker 4: I think that I mean left to achieve. I mean, look, the game doesn't owe me anything. It doesn't owe me anything. I just keep working hard.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's what I holder myself is hard work and I gotta be that's that's that's all I'm responsible of. That's all I can control is is how I approach the game. I truly believe if you love a game, it'll love you back. And you know I don't. I don't want to write myself short or just say I'm I've already done what I was supposed to do.
Speaker 5: But look, I'm I'm nine years in.
Speaker 4: I feel great, my family is happy, and I I just feel like I'm winning. Uh.
Speaker 5: I wasn't supposed to be here year nine. Uh.
Speaker 4: I was going into two weeks at at New England and I thought I was gonna be erased. I thought I was gonna be back in Valdosta. I was two weeks as a coach and I thought I was gonna be back in Valdosta from special teams, penalties and all that bs. So, Uh, I'm here now, and I feel like, I don't know, I kind of own. I kind of own everything that's that has happened in my career. It's been a it's been a great movie so far. So I'm looking forward to channeling everything that I have in me to have a ah, A great a ninth year in the league.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: It's kind of crazy to keep saying that, but I'm having a lot of fun. I just really wanna win.
Speaker 1: M You just use the word proactive to describe how you think this defense will be.
Speaker 2: Can you expand on that.
Speaker 4: Preparation knowing who you're going against, having a plan and easily adaptable.
Speaker 6: And then Kenny to kind of piggyback of what you were saying over here on the other side of the tent when it comes to trying to become a top five defense, you know, with the pieces that you all have, the talent you all have on this roster. Lou Anroumo coming in, you talked about winning, you know, off the field, and having so much that's individual in your career. But as you go into your nine and kind of knowing, Okay, I don't know if I'll play another nine after this, what's the desire level to just you know, again, like you said, not be a race and have something that you can look back on and be like, Okay, well this was this.
Speaker 5: Year or two years or whatever.
Speaker 6: How many years we really had something special and we went and did something special.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I I I just feel like my approach to the game is always different. A lot of people way to their careers off of wins and losses, you know, if I had a ring or not. But I've always approached the game, you know, since my senior year of high school was I played this game to have fun.
Speaker 5: My high school was really good.
Speaker 4: I saw them winning a lot even though we got beat first round the playoffs. We had a lot of fun that season and that kind of transitioned into playing Division two football. I went to a really good program who had just won uh AN a national title, and I met a lot of great people, had a lot of great teammates over there in Valdosta State, had a lot of great coaches every single year, had a new defensive system every single year. But somehow we were able to, uh, you know, have some fun. And that just kept me in it, man, That's that just kept me in it if it was too much, you know, raw, raw, and like we gotta do this like then out of out of all, out of love with football a long time ago. And then over here in Indianapolis, like, of course, we definitely want to win. We definitely have a lot too old to the city of Indianapolis, and we want to get that accomplished. But I've had a lot of fun here at Indy, and honestly, we we got to figure out how to have even more fun this year. We gotta have fun from the jump and me individually, that's how I stay in it, you know, That's why you know, the dances come out, you know, all the hand shades and stuff, cause that's that's a little boy and me that that that's what I always loved about ball, was the dancing, the camaraderie, the partying on the plane that those are the things that I like to talk about. I don't talk about, oh, third down, Like at the end of this game, I did this like that, like that's cool out of appearance or something like that. But like if I'm in the backyard with the guys, I'm I'm talking about jumping up with DeForest, you know after his act. Like those are cool moments for me because that's that's that's that's the little boy. That's that's what I always saw the game of football ass and so like like the way they talked about mister Ersay and how he was an owner and and he he led the organization as his little boy self, like he putting them pads on, taking pictures with the guys, Like that meant a lot to me. To me because that's the same vision that I have for football. That's that's what I see. And I don't want to ramble on, but that's that's just my approach. That's why I played the game of staff kid's game.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It is Kenny more than the second with us here a couple more minutes. We appreciate your time. On this report day, we heard some of the members of the coaching staff single out rookie Justin Wally in the spring. Your early impressions of the third round corner out of Minnesota.
Speaker 4: My early impressions, I mean, I think he has everything. He has, what he has, what it takes to to play in his game alone time. He he loves football. I can I can see that he knows how to play football and he has the instincts and awareness to be a great player. His ceiling is really high. If I was to pit two guys that I'm really high on, let's say three that I'm really high on.
Speaker 5: A is a ID.
Speaker 4: I'm not Mitchell Wally, And I really do like Peers. Yeah, not just because I go against him, but it was too offensive and one that's.
Speaker 5: Fair, that's fair.
Speaker 6: And I guess to that point, what stands out to you about eighty Mitchell? And we get it like last year and he's admitted like, hey, I had to learn how to be a pro. But yeah, when you line up against this guy.
Speaker 4: In pro I'm saying, like potential and tool wise like he has the tools like I'm excited.
Speaker 5: I'm excited what we have.
Speaker 1: Josh Downs joined us here, and I think when we talk good on good out here, there might not be a better matchup than when you two go against each other one on once.
Speaker 5: If we go best out of seven, yeah, I mean yeah, that's opinion.
Speaker 2: It would you a gree that or no?
Speaker 5: If it's the best matchup, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Passed out of seven you Josh Downs one on.
Speaker 5: One, We're gonna find out here in training.
Speaker 2: You think Johns will answer it?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Well, end of this.
Speaker 1: You look like a very busy man this offseason, and feel free to fill in any gaps.
Speaker 2: You're over in Germany for the draft. Did you do a little Brewers spring training?
Speaker 5: Did I see that I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I got a buddy that I grew up with. He's a he's a picture for them. What was the best thing you did his name dial Hall this off season? Because I was the best thing I did this off season? Or with the Brewers spring training?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, feel free to share about the Brewers spring training experience.
Speaker 5: But I mean, look, I just love sports.
Speaker 4: Like it's just a little boy amy and so uh I went out there and I tried to get some bad impact practicing, you know, in the cages and stuff. And I was already a little nervous because you and you walk in there and you're here, how fast you know those pictures are going. You're just like, all right, it's got to be the hardest thing in sports is hit between us.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 4: We put They got this machine called the traject and on the Trajet you can put up any picture and you can put any pitch, any speed, whatever you want. So that on a traject, it's just it's this entire screen and it's digital. The picture actually shows up on his things, so you think you're in the park. And so as soon as he's about to release the ball, the pitch just comes out of this machine and we put up Paul schemes and shout out to Paul Skins. I cannot put a put a ball in play. But I mean it was like eighty nine, mid nineties, all types of pitches, and uh I made contact, but they're all foul balls.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: I gotta try to at least you made some contact. That was our first time. I'm usually better off the second time I do stuff.
Speaker 2: But if you could be a pro athlete and any other sport.
Speaker 5: To be that's tough. That's tough. I really that's tough. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Formula one is pretty cool, but it's something about some soccer hm, English Premier League striker that's me.
Speaker 6: Look at that, see spoken like somebody else, naturally good at probably every sport growing up.
Speaker 1: I feel like one day I was walking back to media sent over here.
Speaker 2: I look over and you weren't you kicking with I did that a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, what did guy say about NNY summer?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 5: You want to see his social media post? I'm like, he just be doing stuff. I just do. Yeah, that's thet I'm watching the draft.
Speaker 2: I'm wait, there's Kenny Moore.
Speaker 5: I wasn't even supported.
Speaker 4: I didn't think I was gonna be doing that, to be honest, I just went over there to do some American football football academies, that's all. That's that's why I went over there, is to do football clinics and to further their game in American football, you know, as we're trying to you know, make this whole thing international and stuff like that our market is Germany and we just spanned it. We just expanded our markets too to uh Switzerland and Austria. But uh yeah, I just wanted to go over there to Germany and tap into the market and have some fun doing football, and that opportunity came up, so we did it all right.
Speaker 1: Last last thing, I lied greatly appreciate your time driving by lukasaol Stadium.
Speaker 2: What does that mean to see you on the side.
Speaker 5: Of that building.
Speaker 4: That'll never become normal to me. I'm a I'm a graphics guy. I'm a I studied mass media and communication arts in college. Whenever I was there, present shout out of VSU, so that whole area is like that. That's just what I love. I love graphics, I just love I don't know, that's a that's an achievement as as as it is. You know, driving by that think I lived downtown. So my family always took a picture of that every time they see it. And that'll never that'll never grow over to me.
Speaker 5: So I really appreciate the Colts doing that.
Speaker 1: Thank you to number twenty three, Thank you to Kenny. Really one of the great stories in Colt's history period. And you know, obviously it was with New England first and then came here in that roster cut down period in twenty seventeen and the rest is history.
Speaker 2: And his playmaking has been definitely seen in camp. You know. He just kind of reminds her reminds herself every.
Speaker 1: Few days of like, oh, yeah, there he is still playing really good football. So thank you to Kenny Moore the second for.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize he had such a potty mouth Kevin.
Speaker 2: He did have a couple of cuss times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think three of.
Speaker 1: Them, I know, which I appreciate, Like it's you know, he kind of felt casual. Thing with Kenny is like he doesn't have a very consistent speaking cadence like some people you like know when they're done talking.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: With with with Kenny, I was like, wait, has he done or not? And then he just kept just keeps going.
Speaker 3: But you're very well thought out when he speaks.
Speaker 1: But I think he's turned into an important voice for the players, certainly for the franchise.
Speaker 2: So thank you to Kenny Moore.
Speaker 3: The second Kevin, with the start of the season aaring that means it's almost time for us to start planning for the fantasy football league. Right.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I didn't even think about this. Yes, yes, okay, should we talk about this.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, we'll talk about this off the air. But just wanted to tease that so our listeners know what's coming.
Speaker 1: I know, and we've rewarded like fast fingers oftentimes with spots. I'm open to any any suggestions, and you know, obviously we want to reward our listeners, and we love the fantasy league and we enjoy doing the draft. But maybe I don't know a little twist on that. We could think about that, and you know me, I mean, I think you and I speak on the same page of this. That first week of September is when we'll do the draft earlier. Way too much dram on the NFL can happen in a month. So yes, that is a good thing to put on the radar.
Speaker 3: And I can't wait, Kevin. I know we're already getting the two weeks of as you mentioned, the or on the starting quarterback. I can't wait for the national media all. Look, it's Daniel Jones with the ones. Do you say start against Baltimore? Do you think that matters like Thursday?
Speaker 2: Starter?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am kind of with you, James Boyd, did I think he was on the opposite when him and I chatted about that this morning.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, this, is it more telling on who gets the start in the joint practice tomorrow than it is the preseason game, because that'll be ones.
Speaker 1: The weird thing they've done with the starting reps so far in camp, whoever is the starter usually gets the least amount of reps that day with the starting unit, which is kind of you know, you'll typically think of it like that, but that's kind of how I want to say. I want to say yesterday Jones started, for example, and then Richardson got one more starting period than Jones did, or maybe that was Saturday. They all run to go to this point, but try to keep tracking the notebook settings. So now, I mean, I think at this point, like Kicker is a lead, like center Tanner borderline seems to have taken a little bit of a lead here last few days. Mm hmm, quarterback, I mean it has been a fifty to fifty split. I would think Richardson has a slight lead.
Speaker 3: But and obviously you've got Justin Wally opposite at you various word because of the injuries to Juju Brentson, Jalen Jay.
Speaker 1: Even before that, he was the guy and he certainly has been that so far.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for Twitter questions? Let's do it? Five questions to get too on today's edition of Colt Corner, starting with Josh the Colt should go after Terry McLaurin, right or do you think the price will be too much to pay? And this this is me asking this question keV in connection to this question from Josh. Would we be talking about Terry McLaurin if he wasn't a Cathedral High School graduate?
Speaker 1: I would like to think we wouldn't have our endi bias that high. I mean, he's been a very good player here in the NFL. You know a lot of McLaurin, a lot of Michael Parsons, and and I totally understand all all of those questions. But I would say this where I'm kind of at right now with those sorts of moves is when you don't have the long term answer a quarterback. As much as people want to play the video game, I think all of these sorts of ideas are frozen.
Speaker 3: Especially for Micah Parsons, because I mean, you saw what correct that after highlight compensation would be through the roof what Chicago got for Khalil Mack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the compensation for the two is different now, you know, for Terry McLaurin, I still think it would involve a notable draft pick.
Speaker 2: And that's what you have to play out in your head. Hey, we're going to trade whatever. Let's say a second.
Speaker 1: For yeah, Terry McLaurin, and let's say you go nine in eight is the football team.
Speaker 2: So now you're drafting eighteenth overall.
Speaker 1: If you're going nine and eight, you probably don't have a clear answer quarterback out and you don't have your second round pick.
Speaker 2: So what are you doing. You're just sitting there and.
Speaker 3: You got to pay him thirty million dollars a year because that's what he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just yeah, and so that means you're not drafted on in twenty twenty six and yeah, and you're also you know, obviously, like you said, paying him Terry McLaurin that that type of money at age. I just don't think you can entertain this stuff on the McLaurin front. I'm fascinated to see how the thirty year old wide out plays out because Michael Pittman Junior is going to be in a kind of a similar boat next year, with not as impressive as an individual resume as Terry McLaurin.
Speaker 2: This gets into the debate of, like I think a real debate.
Speaker 1: Fans need to start to pay attention to, is would you rather have Alec Pierce long term or Michael Pittman Jr.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, I think that is a very real conversation that you have to have. So Josh, I understand the question. He's a really good player. I also think the Colts this is the best they felt about their wide out group in years, and I get why they feel as good about it. Like I I kind of agree with him. Now do I think he would upgrade that position even more? Yeah, But I just think these sorts of moves, given the state of your franchise, you're largely frozen, you know. And it's like, I know the NBA in the NFL is the perfect analogy atdie, but it's like once the Pacers got Halliburton, then when the ideal of Siakam becomes available, you.
Speaker 2: Can do that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but until you get Halliburton, I don't think you can give up three first for Pascal Siaka. No, but what you know, so it's like, once you get that in place, then I think you can go ahead and entertain some of this thought and move more of the chips into the middle. But until you have quarterback, you just and I know next year's a great draft class for quarterback and all of.
Speaker 3: That, but.
Speaker 1: You know, again, just look at Buffalo with the Allen draft. They went from twenty one to twelve. Then they went from twelve to seven. Like, you have to be in a position to do that if you need to, and they felt the need to do that, and obviously they're reaping the benefits of it.
Speaker 3: Tyler and Terry loop together, what is the likelihood that Alec Peerce is in a Colts uniform next year? I get the vibe he will command a pretty significant contract on the open market, and just don't know if the Colts can afford to keep him, especially with Josh Downs's contract coming up in a few years as well. Perhaps they're waiting to see if ad Mitchell can show more consistency before making any decisions. Also for US golf fans out there, and I hope this is tongue in cheek for whomever included this which one of you, it's Tyler Terry, especially Eddie. What's in Kevin's golf bag for the twenty twenty five season. Thanks as always for the top tier content.
Speaker 2: Let's go. This is great. This is the seven of my burner.
Speaker 1: Actually, we love love to have the Mizuno clubs in the golf bag.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: We got a golf outing coming up on Thursday, Eddie. That's right down at the Legends. See some listeners out there for that. Now those are new clubs, right, the Massunos. Yes, second year with them, he says, yes, love them, love them, so thank you. I believe Maszuna is going to be at the golf outing coming up. Wow, look at that on Thursday as well. So looking forward to that down there at the Legends in Franklin. Bob Knight old stomping grounds.
Speaker 2: With his course.
Speaker 1: You know, likelihood of pierced in a colt's uniform, boy, I think it's a great debate. And again this is a question I actually threw Rick Van Turrey's way. We had Rick Van Turrey culture radio analysts on our show last week and he spoke from a defensive coordinator standpoint, and he goes, when I think about the future of Pierce. When I think about the future of Pittman, I met with who do I fear more? And the answer to that's peers. What's easier to find Eddie? Is it easier to find elite deep ball play making receivers or is it easier to find guys that hit a lot of singles?
Speaker 3: Guys that hit a lot of singles.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, there's no way to say that without it sounded like a shot at Pittman. And I've probably always been a little bit more of a Pittman guy than most. And I thought last year he had a fine season with the back, you know, I mean he played through a ton and still was a little healthier. He probably would have been over a thousand yards.
Speaker 2: So you know, the thing about Adie Mitchell is he's not really either of them.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It would be one thing of like, you know, Anthony Gould's had a great Chandy Crane camp so far, be one thing of like you're like, oh, yeah, Anthony Gould, he's the actual slot, just like Josh Towns. But like, Mitchell's not really Piercing, He's not really Pittman. No, it's just kind of hard to look at the wide receiver position and say, well, yeah, I guess theoretically one of those two will go, and then you know Mitchell will slide in that role. But again it's not exactly the like minded player. But still, having said that, I think there's part of me that definitely leans towards Peers, and Pittman stands for so much of what you what you want to be about, with this toughness and all of that. But if Pierce can take another step, you know, the underneath stuff, He's also going to command a whole lot on the open market. I think interest wise, franchise tag could be used.
Speaker 3: Do you think so?
Speaker 1: Franchise tag it up? You tell Pittman to play in a contract year and see what happens. Again, that's how you know, Pittman's kind of viewed this year as a contract year for him. He said that when he signed the extension. You know, the reason why he signed three year extension was to get to that open market one more time, like Terry McLaurin is. And we're seeing how it's all playing out there. So it's a great question. Obviously this year we'll have some impact on it, certainly, but you know, Pierce's ability to hit those home runs. It's just a rare gift. You watch Pierce, and I mean anytime they chuck a deep ball to him in camp, like boy, he is just his ability to locate.
Speaker 2: The ball thirty yards down the field is such a unique trade.
Speaker 3: So this season, the non exclusive franchise tag was twenty five million, six and ninety three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's getting north of twenty.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's gonna go up because because you've got Jamar Chase getting paid.
Speaker 1: I know it sounds like a ludicrous thought too, but just try to push that down a little bit further down the line and then maybe you say, well, that's dupi because you know then you're gonna have to pay him even more when or if and when you do, you know, cross that bridge. So it's a very interesting state of the wide receiver position, but I think it's also a good position in the Colts haven't been that in a while.
Speaker 3: Three questions left, Josh is up next. Any chance mo Ali Cox doesn't make the fifty three man roster, doesn't seem like his contract would be a massive hit if the Colts cut him, and Josh would rather hang on to more corner depth. With Will Mallory starting to flash, I feel like this.
Speaker 1: Is an annual question, Eddie, Like we've had this for like five straight off seasons. Will mo Aley Cox make the team? To me, tight end looks pretty easy right now? Don't you just keep four?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It seems like pretty easy compared to some of the other position groups.
Speaker 2: Tyler Warren, Moliley Cox, dru Ogle Tree, Will Mallory. I mean, Mallory would also tell you this. I don't know he'll be as blunt as I am, but blocking's an issue. Melalle Cox is not a bad blocker.
Speaker 1: No, So every team has a Moliley Cox, I guess is what I'm trying to get out too, Like every team has a due that just doesn't catch the blocks. And if all the injuries happened, he'd go play left tackle, like he would be the third.
Speaker 2: Tackle on a game or like the fifth tackle, I.
Speaker 1: Should say on a game day. So you know, I understand we get into this debate a lot. I guess the thought is to keep three or four tight ends. I mean, they've always kind of been a four tight end team, so I assume they will. And that's why it gets back to Jelanny Woods, saying, I just I'm hard pressed to find where Jelani Woods fits into the puzzle.
Speaker 3: Trevor is next, how would you feel, Kevin if the Colts opted to not play any of it of their starters at all during preseason to prevent injuries. Trevor says, I know Sean McVeigh is known to not play his starters at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trevor, I mean, obviously, injuries are injuries. And you know I've watched Sampson, ebcom Rip and Achilles during practice. You know, I mean, I get the contact. You probably lead to more injuries.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Eddie would be hard pressed to remember the last time that Colts had a starter get hurt in a preseason game. I mean, I can't think of many. And you bring up Sean McVay. I brought up Baltimore earlier. Every team is different. Matthew Stafford's been slinging that a whole long time.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: That's different than nanthy Richardson or Daniel Jones.
Speaker 3: By the way, he hasn't practiced yet.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, that back injury. They I think Cole's playing like Week four maybe something like that.
Speaker 2: I think they have Houston Week one too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, Miami looks so banged up already for Week one. I saw Austin Jackson, the right tackle is gonna miss a lot of times.
Speaker 3: They've already had two corners go down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dB room definitely. Jalen Phillips got banged up. So we're all afraid of injuries. I get it.
Speaker 3: He's coming off an ACL or against the.
Speaker 2: Cold last year, so I understand it.
Speaker 1: But man, when you've had the Week one struggles, when you're incorporating a new defense, when you've had the quarterback play that you've had, I just think you need to be out there. And I don't care if they're playing their starters or not. Like That's that's how I view it. And I think if I were to rank the schedule right now, outside of the Houston games, I think the two most important games are right there in Miami and Denver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I put those three and four in the list.
Speaker 1: So I am a proponent of playing your starters more in the preseason generally than most, especially for this state of the Colts. You're not a team, I mean, you're involving a new defensive coordinator, You're involving a new quarterback if you want to call them, Daniel Jones, whatever you want to call Richardson, that's new. I think you could make a strong case that the Colts should play their starters more than any team in the league in the preseason based off all that newness. Do you run the risk for some injury?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I guess you do. Now you play Thursday night, that's an out from the regular season opener. Yeah, so a guy getting hurt, you know, if it's ankle, whatever, you know, two weeks boom, he can be back. Even that final preseason you're still I think two weeks in a day out Cincinnati game from the opener. But this might be week one PTSD, but yeah, I'd be uh, I'd be playing.
Speaker 3: We conclude Twitter questions with Will Kevin. You have to pick one. Who do you want to start for the Colts under center? Not who you think will start as a fan, who do you want? Will is sitting here after watching all the inconsistencies, all the bs that has come with Anthony Richardson, and yet Will is so fired up to see him take snaps in a game setting versus Daniel Jones. Screw the floor being higher than Daniel Jones. Will wants the chance at the higher ceiling.
Speaker 1: Will thank you for the question. Then, I think I shared this before Eddie. A few weeks ago on our morning show, we did a Twitter poll who do you want? Because we had someone in our YouTube chat say they want Daniel Jones to start. I was like, hm, that's interesting. I wonder what that pool of fans looks like. And I want to say the poll ended at like eighty five percent one of Jones fifteen or excuse me, eighty five percent one of Richardson fifteen percent one to Jones.
Speaker 2: You were out there Saturday. I can't recall Saturday. It was one of those days.
Speaker 1: But in many days of practice, when Richardson has taken the starting reps, the crowd is just much much louder yes than they are when it's time for Jones to take those starting reps.
Speaker 2: So, you know, Will points to.
Speaker 1: The high ceiling, and that is a huge part of I think why I would agree with Will on that. But even if you aren't there, I say, it gets you one step closer to the final answer on him. So either you finally break up with them or you don't. You know, finally move on or commit. And I also am curious what did the healthy offseason do again? Nine days into camp? To go back to the eye doctor analogy, I guarantee you if you splice together clips from his first nine practices in twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four, and now twenty twenty five, if doctor Deborah Man said to me, Kevin read that for me with one spoon over the left eye, apso would read the clearest in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: That's actually one of your ritter one, thanks job, thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey, I really haven't had a lot of good ones, so that felt good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did the healthy offseason do anything?
Speaker 1: So all three of those boxes, yes, the high ceiling sure boom, get closer to the final answer, and then lastly, did the health healthy offseason do anything? Now, having said all that, I will continue to beat this drum. I think Shane Stikeen is much more willing to play Daniel Jones than most people think or want to admit.
Speaker 3: That's time to win, gott to see some results.
Speaker 1: And I'm over here shrug my shoulders like I hear you say that, and I'm like, wow, it's hard to totally argue against that.
Speaker 2: I mean tier three for him. New ownership now again, is the best way to win? When you say win, you know I'm saying it in.
Speaker 1: All Caps, win a division title, win a playoff game, and to me, you need the higher potential quarterback. To me, like, I know, yards per temp is in everything, but the yards pertempt numbers, you know it can oftentimes be a key metric.
Speaker 2: I mean it's pretty drastic. How much better Richardson is yards per attempt than Jones?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: So can you win with thinking dump? Can you win with conservative? I find it ironic, Eddie. We sit here nine days into camp. Those one true deep ball Daniel Jones's throne came out on off side penalty Thursday night when everyone's yelling free play and he chucks it down the field and there's ad Mitchell and it's not like his arm shot. It's like you can't throw it down the field. So yes, well I am in the camp of Richardson should be the start. But again that's my opinion. I all, you know, I have to look at things through two different lens, my thoughts, but also how I think the Colts are viewing it, and I just think it's a lot realer.
Speaker 2: By the way, questions tenses.
Speaker 3: So Will says under center, like are we gonna I mean, hardly anyone goes under center anymore. It feels like they're always out of the gun, Like, are we ever gonna get a changing of the terminology there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a good question. Yeah. I don't know how it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Operate, but yeah, I guess now it's all right, you know, three step, five step drop here, and sooner or later it's probably gonna.
Speaker 2: Look a whole lot more like seven on seven. All right, he's at a garrison. I'm Kevin Bowen.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Colt's Corner with myself and Eddie, and we will be back, oh maybe Friday morning.
Speaker 3: So we got yeah, Colts, I have joint practice with Baltimore on Tuesday, and then they play Thursday night, and then practice Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 2: Should we do a little ten am on Friday morning?
Speaker 3: Probably? Should.
Speaker 2: He's at a garrison on Kevin Bowen, everybody have a eight great week. We'll talk to you later.