Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to another episode of the Frames per Second Podcast. I'm here for the evening. My name is Mike. Next to me, I have Spike crushing Spike. I have Ken, and we are reviewing Spider Noir. This is based on the two thousand and eight Marvel Okay, hold on, so these are Jalen's notes. Jalen types like a young person. I read like an old person. So first of all, y'all thank Jalen for actually giving us notes. He wasn't able to make it today, but he still sent us notes because we would have been fucked as far as hugoes.
Speaker 3: So shout out to Jalen. But yeah, so here we go.
Speaker 2: Spider Noir is based on a two thousand and eight Marvel comic. I assume the series was greenlit based on the performance and the popularity of Nicholas Cage as the character in Spider Man into the Spider Verse. I don't know if y'all remember that, but Spider Noir was in the in uh Spider Verse.
Speaker 3: It was it was supposed to include.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to be included in many Spider Man character centered shows that have since been canceled.
Speaker 3: I didn't know about that either. But in the comics, Spider Noir is still.
Speaker 2: Peter Parker, but his story is far darker than the traditional version. So first question he asked here, did y'all watch it in black and white or color?
Speaker 3: Color?
Speaker 1: Black and white?
Speaker 3: I watched it in color too.
Speaker 2: I had no desire to watch something in black and white. I don't think it hurt or helped my viewing experience.
Speaker 3: I don't know if y'all agree with that or not. What did you do? Put the cup on the power on the thout you getting the facts?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So we start the season with Ben Riley nary about his past life as the Spider and how he lost the love of his life her name was Ruby during that time because of his failures. So did this backstory set up the kind of common theme of Spider Man, Well, the you know, the whole burden of a hero type of thing.
Speaker 4: Because he never let that shit go. It was like episode one through eight. Yeah, you know, so I think it did a good job of kind of letting us know where this this older hero is ad and and why he feels the way he does, and the absence of him in the city. You know, so Ruby died, which parallels with a failure that Spider Man had in the comics with somebody. But I was thinking it was also in part because he just got old and he couldn't do it anymore. So I was also thinking about like getting old, you know, and does he still have it and those sort of moments as well. But apparently he just wasn't a good Spider damn. It sounded like, but we never got a chance to see though.
Speaker 2: I guess I also forgot to ask, did you actually like this?
Speaker 3: This this whole series as a whole.
Speaker 4: It started slow, you know, for the story to kind of really build, but I think the second part I liked more.
Speaker 1: I wasn't, you know, I didn't mind what I was watching, you.
Speaker 4: Know, because I I started and I watched two or three episodes back to back, and I liked the different like sort of superheroes that they were showing, you know. So when when the first one like it was the same man, I was like, oh shit, it's the same man. And then the other ones they add it, so I was like, Okay, this is a cool switch twist.
Speaker 1: And I don't know much.
Speaker 4: About spidering the war because I didn't read any of that shit, so I was really more interested in the story and seeing how this character is.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I enjoyed it, though.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I was I was too up on what this was, and then Nicholas Cage took you all the way out of it, Like Nicholas Cage is just god awful in my opinion. But I didn't have the context. And I always feel like it's with comic book movies that I did they like the mainstreams, that I didn't read it, So I just feel like I'm watching it, I'm just lacking a whole lot of context. And it's just I never was able to just get fully locked in on it because I'm I'm like, who the fuck is Ben Riley?
Speaker 3: Like why where's Peter Parking?
Speaker 5: It just never made sense to me, and I don't understand the backstory of it, so, like all of it, there was no real consequence involved with it for me because my thought process is the MCU is the main Spider Man, so I know nothing nick can happening this is going to affect it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no sake in it.
Speaker 5: It was just like, and then if that's gonna be the case, I need somebody other than Nicholas Cage to carry to show the mah. I thought he was real bad. I thought he was a god awful action.
Speaker 3: You thought, I don't like Nicholas ca But I think he was just fine for this role because it's Nicholas case.
Speaker 4: I think he was trying to talk, not like Nicholas Cage issue.
Speaker 2: I thought they were going for a fifties detective Noir or forties I don't know what fucking year this is.
Speaker 3: But I thought he was fine.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I won't walk away being like, oh my god, Nicholas Cage killed this. No, he never kills anything. But I thought they picked a fine person to do this. To be campy. I mean either him or or or Keanu reeves to be campy and just to be like so deadpan. I think they I think he was fine. But overall, I thought this was the most eye.
Speaker 3: Show I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 2: It was I I at no point was I excited, at no point was like like damn, I need to get home to finish this. It was just like, all right, man, I'll just power through. I'll just power through it. Because I didn't remember we had to cover it until I texted y'all it was the end of the day Friday, before I could even start the shit. I almost told you all I couldn't do it, but you know, I didn't want to be like a certain other person. But in the present day, back to the show, he is a private investigator and he's hired to investigate a man named Addison who has superpowers. Addison is also being trailed by another PI who catches up to him before he's killed in an explosion.
Speaker 3: Was any of this interesting?
Speaker 4: Not really, because I felt like there was still setting things up outside of Addison having powers, This still pretty much felt like a setup for me because Adamson pretty much died right away and so nah nah. Even with the other PI, it didn't really do much in terms of I think it was good to kind of establish where we're going, but that was about it.
Speaker 3: What about you, Spike was interesting at all?
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't interested in Again, I'm trying to figure out who the players is in this and who's important, and it's just it was just okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't really that interested either. I thought him someone that had powers like that. I thought that was kind of interesting, but at this point in the story, I didn't really care about any of these people. When Ben returns to this office, he's approached to investigate Kat Hardy as her husband suspects that she's cheating. So his investigation finds out that she is seeing the mayor of the city, which immediately causes him to give up on the case and lie to the husband. What did this reaction say about Ben's character?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it let us know that he's I think he's dishonest, you know, And I think they let us know off rip and we see that play out throughout the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the season.
Speaker 5: Dishonest I didn't get until later, but I do definitely agree with you. He gave to me that he just wanted it easy, anything with too much stakes to it, or got got too much involved. Yeah, I'm hands off, which is why he was struggling. Was in a position that he was in as a PI like, yeah, he ain't trying to get to no real business.
Speaker 4: I thought that was tied to more of him being an alcoholic n failure.
Speaker 1: Then then other stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, I got I got kind of all of that, but I already wasn't a fan of his character anyway, because it's Nicolas Cage.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's whatever.
Speaker 2: Before Ben can approach Kat with the information, at a club, he's visited by one of silver Main's men, whose name is Winston, who threatens to kill him. But we get background that silver Main is the crime boss of the city and has taken control of the city since the Spider was gone.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: See, we see that he kills the other PI because he knows too much, the other PI being what was the dude's name?
Speaker 3: Fuck? The other PI is fine.
Speaker 2: But did this approach to a mobster as an antagonist contribute to the appeal of the show? Like?
Speaker 3: Did you care about this mobster guy?
Speaker 1: Fifties, forties whatever, thirties genre? A spider in the war? He's basically this vert Kingpin.
Speaker 2: I literally thought it was Kingpin when they were showing him from the ground up. I was like, oh, Kingpin's in this, Yeah, did you get anything from him?
Speaker 3: Just like whatever? Just like whatever? All right, but the bills piling up.
Speaker 2: Ben decides to confront Kat with information to blackmail, which leads her bodyguard Flint Marco to follow him. This leads to a fight where it's revealed that Flint has superpower superpowers before he this is a god damn. This leads to a fight where it's revealed that Flint had superpowers before he disappears. Was the show balancing the tone anasthetic well with the comic book background, because anyone that's read the comic we immediately know this is this is Sandman.
Speaker 3: So did that whole thing work well in this show?
Speaker 1: I think so, because I don't.
Speaker 4: It felt like until we got towards the end that they didn't really want to lean on powers a lot. And you know, so they were used sparingly, and every once in a while they introduced another villain, another villain. Then you got to where we ended up. But I liked that they didn't really lean too heavy on it, Like, but you got to give comic book fans and gotta give them something, and these are the recurrent villains. So when it was sam Man, I was like, oh shit. I did like the fact that it was Samon. I said, Okay, so now we're not gonna just have him walking around trying to beat a mob boss. It's like, okay, now we got sam Man. Because I didn't know Sam Man was going to be in it, So I did like that.
Speaker 5: I was on the other end of you in the sense of I didn't know if I don't know SAMN, I haven't read the comics, so them using their powers earlier it would have been better for me for this. They leaned too much into the New York Said Noor side of it and expected that storytelling to keep people engaged to where I feel like like it was kind of cool once he started doing the Spider Man stuff, like you've seen him on the buildings. And I know they may not have had the budget of a movie to do that, it just that stuff was way more cool.
Speaker 3: Than just the regular storytelling of this show.
Speaker 2: Okay, I actually liked that they threw Flint Marco in this, and I thought that the even though you said it didn't have the budget of a movie, I thought the effects looked great. I thought the way that they did Flint Marco was super dope.
Speaker 3: But the episode closes.
Speaker 2: With Ben abandoning the blackmail and decided I'm not going to do it, and the next day Kat hires him to investigate Marco's disappearance. So the next episode opens with Ben searching Marco's apartment, where he realized that Addison and Flint knew each other from the war. This is before working for silvermin Ben confronts her with information as he believes that she may be hiding pieces from him, and she admits that she purposely hid it for her protection from silvermin So it's been justified in feeling some contempt for Kat when learning about Flint ties to silvermin Or was Kat justified in hiding.
Speaker 1: It all of the above?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: He hid information from her and she wanted. She is fully aware of what kind of character Silvermain is, so she knew she had to give him only enough that would help him solve the case to protect herself.
Speaker 3: Did you get the same things, Bike?
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty much like Kat always seemed like she had some schemes going on.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I agree, we can Okay.
Speaker 2: So the next scene is when we finally get a full action scene with the Spider He's fighting a bunch of Silvermain's henchmen and he's trying to intimidate them into leaving Ben alone. Uh and as well as Janet. Janet is the secretary. So did y'all like seeing this fight?
Speaker 3: Can they not call him Spider Man? Well, no, because they own it.
Speaker 2: Because this is this is this is done by Sony, So Sony owns the Spider Man.
Speaker 3: The Spider Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 4: It's in this particular alternate universe or whatever they had. But now I think they needed to give us some action, and we need to see Spider Man's uh you know what he can and cannot do, you know. So I liked that they had to do something because him just walking around detective detective diving isn't enough.
Speaker 3: You'll finally giving us some action.
Speaker 5: It was like, Okay, finally we get into the ships, so let's see where it goes from here. But it's kind of stayed in his bed.
Speaker 3: Damn all right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Ben's friend and journalist Robbie Robertson which he's also in the comics, but he's the black Man. He's investigating Allison's death as he's looking to get back.
Speaker 3: Into the Bugle, the Daily Bugle.
Speaker 2: This led him to Addison's wife and the guy Lonnie to receive some information there that there are multiple men with superpowers. He also learns that the Spider unintentionally saved silver Main from the police by intervening in his meeting. So at this point we've received multiple scenes with Robbie. What are y'all's thoughts on Robbie. That's the reporter, Yeah, that's the black dude.
Speaker 5: I liked him probably it was my favorite character in the sense of like keeping things going and him trying to get it back to report and eating to ketch up sandwich suckling man. I missed that he was eating a ketchup broke but none of the free.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he brought life to it.
Speaker 5: I feel like I hated Nicholas Cage is like mundane ass tone, and I feel like his tone. And the secretary too, she did a good job as well, but they brought some life to it. Everything else was just like blah. So I did like him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were the persons of color in this show. But I like Robbie. I'm with you. I think I liked him the most out of everybody on here, you know, And and I liked how they and I don't know if you have anything about his race and how they use racism in here, but but I did.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: I did like that part of it as well.
Speaker 4: But yeah, because I think when he went to her, she was like, yeah, you don't want me to yell out that a black man is trying to Yeah, that was dirty, but that's how white women back in made total sense.
Speaker 2: Now you said back in the day, Yeah, well shit.
Speaker 1: If Tarantino wrote it, he was kind of damn niggas and.
Speaker 5: That Robertson would have been dead the third episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, see Robe was cool. All right.
Speaker 2: Now we're jumping into the next episode, Double Cross, and this is where Silvermin hires Ben to find a rat in his organization that they believe is trying to kill him, and he learns that silver Main has a tracking system in his bills, and Kat warns him that he is becoming unhinged. So at this point, who did you think the rat was? And were you bothered by the fact that we had someone named silver Main and it wasn't played by Terrence Howard.
Speaker 1: I had no idea who the rat was.
Speaker 4: I didn't honestly care who the rat was because I felt like this was just a side story and it's part of to connect to this whole bigger story. You know, these old mob gangsters or the detective stories would take you all over the.
Speaker 1: Place, so it didn't matter, and it mattered, but not for me.
Speaker 4: Early on, it was just like all right, man, it's just another episode.
Speaker 5: Right, Like all of this gave that what Kid just said, it's just another episode, Like I didn't even see it, you said, building up to a big old thing. At this point when I'm watching them, like this is just gonna be like this the whole fucking series. Bro, They gonna try to get us invested into this investigation and who's the rat?
Speaker 3: And like when I don't care, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What it made. It gave.
Speaker 4: Cat like, uh, skin in the game, you know, because with her being the rat, that made her vulnerable, so you know, so now you know she had something on the hook. And it also led to another moment we're gonna get to later on down the line. So it served a functional purpose in terms of the story.
Speaker 1: Because they used it all the way to the episode eight.
Speaker 4: But in terms of like at this point, nah, because I didn't think, you know, I didn't, I didn't think. I think that was just to kind of show Ben playing both sides and he'll do anything for money, which he needed to because he wasn't paying.
Speaker 3: Anybody thinks we're getting paid.
Speaker 1: He had money from somewhere. I don't know where he was getting money from.
Speaker 4: Kiddy I noticed he seemed like he didn't have money, but he was surviving somehow, so.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was drinking quite a bit, so he had a little something. Oh.
Speaker 5: They did say it that he was solving them cases for the husbands cheating on their wives or wives cheating.
Speaker 3: On their Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't enough to pay.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't enough to make a lot of money, but he kept him drunking the doors over here.
Speaker 3: He's an asshole.
Speaker 2: So Robby and Ben's uh secretary Janet. But oh, Robbie and Ben's secretary Janet.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: They discovered that Lonnie is also tied to Flint. Lonnie was a big black guy that had like the super tough I thought that was supposed to be tombed to.
Speaker 3: That kind of bummed me out.
Speaker 4: I only know because I looked it up. I didn't look it up, but I was looking at the characters he was playing who and he was listened as Tombstone because I was like, that, don't look like Tombstone.
Speaker 2: No, Tombstone was one of my favorite Spider Man villains.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I guess this confirms he is black.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tombstone was black.
Speaker 2: In the comics. Yeah, his skin was just white. He was like albino or some shit. Anyway, So Robbie attempts to confront Lonnie, but he's ambushed by cops as his powers were revealed are revealed with Flint, so Robbie takes pictures and writes a story for the Bugle that is then misused to villainize Lonnie and Flint. Even more so, Flint was actually at the fight with the cops too. So did the racial undertones with Robbi and Lonnie add anything to the story for y'all.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like they leaned into it. I feel there was only race later on an episode, but it was like just a throwaway.
Speaker 1: Line to a certain degree. So not really.
Speaker 4: I thought they were gonna try to use that a little bit, but they didn't lean too heavy into it. Outside of him not having his job and getting his job back and them taking what he wrote and using it to their advantage to sensationalize it.
Speaker 1: That should have happened today with anybody.
Speaker 4: So I don't want to sign that to just a race thing with him in this particularly ancient with the news story and it was Lonnie and another white guy, it was Lonnie and Flint that were made out.
Speaker 3: To be monsters. So yeah, got that race from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that I got racial undertones from that part. I mean I was getting it with Robbie a little bit. It just I just felt it with the people he was talking to, but they never really just came out and said it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they did show like a whites.
Speaker 2: Only sign at one point, but I was like, y'all just kind of scared to really go there.
Speaker 4: But but I think it's just we look, we know it's the time period, so we gotta let y'all know that we're gonna be at least factual, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so I saw it. I was like, oh, that's but it had to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think the only part is it's probably not is in his notes was when he went to Harlem and he saw the subway change from white to black people.
Speaker 3: Mm. I don't think I noticed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that was the only time about race, but again that kind of made sense.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 2: So Ben later confronts Kat at Penn station that she tries to flee, but Winston captures them and after tracing marked payment from silvermin Ben frames Winston by using his money to pay Vera.
Speaker 3: I don't know who fuck Vera is. Who is Vera?
Speaker 1: Oh? That was I can't remember. I know who she is. She was the white woman.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh the ex wife. He had an ex wife that was doing all the shopping and ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that was the one Robbie found. Yeah, that was the one Robbie found that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe that's who Vera is. But yeah, Silvermin shoots and kills Winston. Did y'all see this coming?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he had to get out of that because all of them were there. I didn't see. I didn't know how he was going to do it. The mark bills. Once Silverman started talking, I was like, okay, yeah, but I didn't know that's why he was still in the money.
Speaker 1: From didn't say until it was revealed.
Speaker 4: So but once they got there and he was like, oh, you know how I paid my people, and.
Speaker 1: He was like, yeah, I mark on my bills and then he just shot him. I was like, okay, that's clever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I actually started to get a little confused at this point, but I was like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think I care that much to go back and rewatch this episode.
Speaker 4: So I was like, all right, Yeah, I cared just a smidget because I was like, where's the mark?
Speaker 1: And I kept rewinded trying to see the mark, but I.
Speaker 3: Never saw it. Yeah, I definitely wind It was a dut. It's a red dut. He made a red I was in black and white. Yeah, he made a red dit. On top of all the serial.
Speaker 6: Numbers, you would love to have more content from Friends per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion in film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com Frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com Forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: Lease lead us in an episode four and this reveals that Silvermain has the police commissioner under his thumb, and Cat reveals to Ben that she is the rat so she could settle down with Marco. After Silvermain murdered her first fiance, and then Ben and Kat, for whatever reason, began a close and intimate relationship.
Speaker 3: So did you.
Speaker 2: See this coming? And should Ben have trusted her? And why do you think that they started to bond?
Speaker 4: I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I could think about is he lost Ruby. She lost her previous husband, but she replaced it with Flint, and then our Flint gone, so she needed a way out. So maybe she was trying to use him, which I think he picked up on that later on. But this shit was complete waste of time. Like it's like.
Speaker 5: It didn't even last an episode did Like the very next episode she betrayed him.
Speaker 4: It just didn't make any sense, Like why you like this guy like this all of a sudden. Yeah, So I was just like, it's just like, y'all just gotta write this in here, just.
Speaker 3: Because I never believed her.
Speaker 2: No, I never believed that she actually liked him, So I was just like, all right, what are y'all doing right now with this shit?
Speaker 3: This is kind of but it was just so she could set him up, right, No.
Speaker 2: I think she was just trying to find a replacement for Flint, she's all I think she just always needs a man to save her.
Speaker 5: Yeah in the character arca, but I'm speaking from a writing stand point.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's the only reason, because that's the way all these fucking crime noirs is always a bunch of betrayal and so yeah, so Marco decides to work for Silvermin, which leads to even more feuding with the mayor because the major. The mayor and silver Main are battling because Silvermin wants more control and he's just like, look, you know, I could take you out of this job right now and replace you with somebody else.
Speaker 3: But the mayor then.
Speaker 2: Seizes the opportunity to get photos with the Spider, you know, after the Spider defeats.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that was supposed to be shocked.
Speaker 1: Or elect but they said he I called him.
Speaker 2: I've never even heard of megawat me either looking it up. But yeah, is the political corruption and crime maneuvering being handled well as a plot line at this halfway point of the story, No, damn, I don't know the mayor.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's beef with the balls. It made sense, it just wasn't interesting because again it goes back to my original thing. It's it's no stakes in this, Like I didn't. I wasn't invested in either one of these characters. I didn't care what happened with either, like who like if one one over the other? What does that mean to the story? And why do I care? As a fan watching like, I don't know, And they never really explained it. They just said they beefing here. I'm with you a hundred percent. Yeah, Ken, do you disagree?
Speaker 1: I know, I agree, we will. Yeah. I didn't find it.
Speaker 3: Interesting, all right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this leads us into episode five, which is called Betrayal, which, uh, this reveals Ben's backstory becoming the Spider I did. I did find this actually kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: So this is where.
Speaker 2: He's over in the war in World War One and he discovers all these German experiments on POW's and he starts liberating them. But then there's there's half mutated Spider dude and he bites him.
Speaker 3: So where'd y'all think of this origin story?
Speaker 4: I didn't know his origin store, So I was definitely interested in this episode when they was telling his story, and I thought it was gonna be your It seemed like every story.
Speaker 1: You get bit by a spider that's.
Speaker 4: Irradiated and the fallen from the ceiling and whatever whatever to find out it was this half spider, a mutatd spider. I did not know that that's how it happened, if that is indeed sticking to the comics. So I did think that that was interesting. I was like, because that motherfucker the way he turned around, his face was all messed up and stuff like that. I was like, Yo, that's a movie right there. But yeah, so I thought that was cool because I never knew his story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was oh no good, it was a good backstory.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was way more interesting than most of the other stuff that I saw, like them showing what started.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I wish y'all would have just stuck here for a while, because I thought I found this way more compelling than the rest of this fucking detective shit because.
Speaker 1: They ain't do shit with it.
Speaker 4: We didn't see him do really a lot of shit with the POW's and everybody else. We just they just told us about things. Oh yeah, I remember you and you like, bro. It would have been nice to see him and he's sitting up there doing the herk jerk. Yeah, it was weird, but anyway, but nah, this was interesting. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: So Robbie has interviewed Lonnie with Janet, where they discovered that he was also a POW.
Speaker 3: With many of the other superpowered.
Speaker 2: Men, It's revealed that doctor Faber has triggered these mutations in many of them, which is why their powers are beginning to appear, but it's also killing them.
Speaker 3: So did this work with the story or were y'all just kind of like, all right, bro, I don't care about this.
Speaker 4: I think they wanted to create steaks for the villains.
Speaker 1: And give.
Speaker 4: Nicholas character Ben Rowley more purpose being the only one that has this sort of mutation. So I'm thinking about ex meening mutants since they've used a mutation. But it was just probably another part of the story. Now we're gonna bring in the scientists so we can get towards to the end. So I felt like they didn't do a lot with this, and I don't know if they could have done more, but you know, but it didn't. It was just almost like a bridge to get to the end for me. With these next two episodes now bringing back the racial part, the oldest son. I did like when it was like he's a negro, so nobody's gonna believe him. So that was a good kind of, you know line that they used the show where we were, of course thinking about Tarantino, it would have been party are but but I like it was just, look, we're still in whatever this time piece is. Black people are still in this specific spot in society, so we're gonna just at least be somewhat authentic.
Speaker 1: But that was it.
Speaker 2: Nothing, nothing, all right, Yeah, I'm with you. It just seemed like it was a bridge to get to the end of all of this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I just don't think I cared because they kept introducing more people I didn't really care about, and I wasn't that interested in. So it's like, okay, now y'all got a whole other scientist that we have to now learn about.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I didn't. I didn't really care. That's a good point. They didn't even establish the people that they introduced us to initially well enough to start bringing in more people. I had that exact feeling. Watch It's like, bro, like, now, who is this person who like that?
Speaker 2: Dangn I haven't watched a lot of Noirs, but I think Noirs do that too. But regardless, this did not really work for me because I was just like, all right, I just don't care about her.
Speaker 3: Or her son. But Biden, but Lonnie and Dirk, I'm trmember.
Speaker 2: Who oh, Dirk is the power guy, the fake ass electro. So Lonnie and Dirk they ended up joining Flint and Silvermin to become part of Silvermin's crew. Flint uses Lonnie to see Kat one more time, as she has told Ben that she'll run away with him.
Speaker 3: In the last episode Loyal Bro.
Speaker 2: Lonnie tells Kat that Faber believes seeing the spider could help find a cure, and this led to Cat revealing who Ben was so waskat wrong for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we definitely saw her coming because it was the title of the episode, So I don't know, Yes, she was, but she always did love Flint, so she wanted Flint back, so she was just.
Speaker 1: Really using him.
Speaker 4: Then, Yeah, why would she want to run around run away with this old guy when Flint's right there and could be cured.
Speaker 1: Let me get my old boo back.
Speaker 4: And Flint the only reason he dropped joined the mob because he heard them planning to run away so he got mad and was like, well, fuck it, then I'm gonna just go join siver Man.
Speaker 1: He didn't know he was dying. None of them knew they were dying, right.
Speaker 2: No, they I think they did because I think Lonnie mentioned it slowly killing him or making him feel.
Speaker 4: And I felt like if they really really knew that, like if Ben Riley was like, Yo, the more you guys use your powers, you're gonna die. If they knew the stakes of using their powers and the risk that entails with it, I think it would have added a little bit more to the characters and a little bit more dimensions to the scientists being there. Yeah, but Ben and Lonnie having it out with no confirmation or them fully establishing that somebody told them that this was happening, Yeah, would have worked a little bit better for me. Yeah, but but I felt we were really missing that. But but nah, I think that's why the scientists were introduced, just to have her betray Yep the detective and to read this this final walk down or path to the end.
Speaker 1: Of the series.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't think she was wrong for doing it.
Speaker 5: She's been knowing him ten minutes, been knowing another dude for that, so like, yeah, I'm gon tell them who you are, and it's bigger than you. Like it's like they can heal everybody versus just you. So sorry, Ben Riley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she didn't care about healing everybody.
Speaker 3: She didn't, but the scientists did.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think that didn't play any much into her motives as far as heid, just the one that she loved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right about that, and.
Speaker 4: They missed on that too, But ye keep going. We almost at the end.
Speaker 2: So the next episode it's called Nightmare on a Gurney and this has Faber and her son Ogden. They kidnapped Ben. This is when he goes to his house and he's talking to him and he sticks in with a needle and they actually start working on him by like cutting his side open and all that. During her operation, Ben has nightmares about the procedures and and and changes that he endured after the spider bite.
Speaker 3: What y'all think of these mutations?
Speaker 2: Do you remember these when like the body bottom of half of his body started changing into a spider.
Speaker 3: But it could have been all the spiders star crawling.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you know, the mask that he had originally put on, it turned into a spider.
Speaker 4: Nothing, Oh right, the spiders coming out was was was cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really cool seeing them come out.
Speaker 4: I mean you can kind of see that that was going to happen, but no, I still didn't mind it, you know. And I think this was just a way for them to use his nightmares as a way to mask the operation of her cutting him open like that. Yeah, so you know, it gave some subtle nineteen fifties forty whatever, that's how they would probably do That's how they typically did horror shit back then, you know. So yeah, dream sequences are my least favorite form of telling stories, and so that's.
Speaker 3: Why you hate David Lynch. Yes, Jesus.
Speaker 2: Faber is actually able to develop a cure, and she she restores Ogden to his true age because whatever power he had, it was like the power makes him look older or.
Speaker 1: Something, and we don't know what power he had.
Speaker 3: To say it he aged, She asked, power is that? So she plans to kill Ben so they can cover their tracks.
Speaker 2: However, Silvermin and his men invade the facility to find more meta humans to mark uh to mark kind of like this, this desire to make their their team bigger. After seeing other Mutators soldiers Faber failed to save. Oh sorry, after seeing other Mutatus soldiers that Faber failed to save and getting shot at by Ogden.
Speaker 3: Uh, Lonnie, Did Lonnie kill the doctor?
Speaker 1: No? I was the.
Speaker 2: Electric right Electro killed the doctor and her son. As silver Main's men blow up the lab, Ben leads with the cure in his possession. So what'd y'all think of this part? I forgot that was actually the shocker guy because I was just like, well, why are they letting him get away with all this? Because it seems like Silvermain didn't want them dead yet.
Speaker 4: He didn't, so I don't get Yeah, they let him get away with a lot of shit. Silverman was talking shit, but he ain't really listen to him, so yeah.
Speaker 5: To a head at the end though, he finally was like we need him silvermin Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but either way go. I think all of this was a miss I think that they only had a limited windows. I get it, but we have to we're taking what Ben said to the son, your mom is crazy, yeah, and so now you're telling us, not really showing us, And then you showed us that she was actually crazy with the experiments in the end. So I think that was a miss because it didn't hit when we saw it, and their reactions to seeing the soldiers about because one of gouds, oh, that's such and such right there, Like I didn't feel that either. So her being this whole sort of mad scientist underneath, when they was trying to sell it as her just trying to save her son, I think there was a disconnet and that whole thing that happened.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think they were really gonna kill her.
Speaker 4: Ben Roy ain't shit, but I thought he was gonna come back and say this motherfucker left.
Speaker 3: He got what I needed.
Speaker 4: Look, you're not staying here. He's like, it's my mom. He was like, all right, it's cool. I'm gonna take this for anadote and you on your own, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I have fun with that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought being Roley one ship for leaving them, but rightfully so I understood it. And quick introduction, then quick killing of the mom and the son. But I guess we didn't need him for nothing else after this, and this was elect episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that was the thing. It was just we're gonna make her evil, so you guys don't care about.
Speaker 5: Her, right, And she get out of here. So I ain't really get nothing from this other than also Electroid Start.
Speaker 4: I just think that they really missed like this whole the story of the POWs and the experiments.
Speaker 1: Yes, like we really needed really more there.
Speaker 3: They would have gave us a lot more value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I really felt like we need a lot more there.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well this takes us into episode seven.
Speaker 2: This was called Nobody's Here, and we see that Ben's drowning his sorrow over cast, betrayal and alcohol at a bar and then he gets into a fight with a bunch of people that don't really like the Spider like that. Did you have any sympathy in for for Ben's character here?
Speaker 3: God? Damn no.
Speaker 1: Why are you even upset? That's the other thing. I'm like, why are you up set? Yeah? To the best sellers, man, So he was a mad because Cat was gonna leave him.
Speaker 2: That's what I don't Well, I think he was more upset that Cap betrayed him, that they were.
Speaker 4: Gonna kill That's right, because he really believed man, Right, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So, but the issue I had the fight scene was cool. I did like the fighting.
Speaker 4: The issue I had was like, bro you just walked out in the same outfit you came in and you just put a mask on it, came back in and beat these dudes up.
Speaker 1: That's all you did. Like, and you're still drunk.
Speaker 4: So of course the bartender or the owner of the shop, and you fucked up his shop. Yeah, just to come back and prove a point to some young punks because of your ego.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: And he didn't care. He was like, oh, yeah, this was on the house. What now you're paying for all this? You broke my whole bar up.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 2: I didn't love this scene either. I love the action in it, I did not love the fact that barkeeper.
Speaker 4: Was just like, oh yeah, don't worry about it, man, and then Robbie coming in like they're not even trying to be discreeked.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows who the spider is. He was like, hey, man, come on, we gotta go do.
Speaker 4: This this thing like and he's like and then he pulled his mask up, damn it up to the Yeah, he has a very very distinguiable.
Speaker 1: Bottom half of his face. I've been serving you drinks because you're visibly drunk.
Speaker 4: You drunk, so I've seen you drink that's your fucking chair, bro, you're the guy that was still sitting here that was giving drinks too.
Speaker 5: They spoke to that in the last episode a little bit too. I think when the second too, he thought she didn't know. She's like niggall me a hundred times you would have Spider.
Speaker 1: He does get a little loose. Yeah, you're right, I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, but they don't make it better. But it made me think of it.
Speaker 4: To what you're saying, it explains what Yeah, okay, now it helps make that a little bit more sense. But I I still didn't like he messed up the bar. But anyway, we can move on. Good action though. I did like the fighting.
Speaker 3: You agree, all right?
Speaker 2: I don't think y'all having any real thoughts on Nicholas Kge's performance here, due.
Speaker 1: We already talked about his performance early. Anyways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, after some encourage from Robbie to help the other meta humans, Ben prepares doses of the antidote to cure all of them and plan to use it on himself afterwards.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the first cure was Lonnie. Did y'all like this part? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I like the liney story worked out Will He didn't like he didn't seem like he liked being in any way. That's whether the other ones really were leaning into it. He was like more so forced, and yeah, I liked it. He got his cure and he got.
Speaker 3: To go on.
Speaker 4: By this day, I think Flint and Lonnie were reluctant to work with him. Flint heartbroken, Lonnie I can't remember why. Maybe racism, but but I think I'm with you. I like how this ended, and I'm so glad. I was so concerned Mike when he walked off, and he was like, man, you know, thank you brother, you know seeing black people come the guy how he walked off all tall, and.
Speaker 3: I was like, he's gonna walk out that door and get shot in the head.
Speaker 1: I thought so too. Yep.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad he just walked off and he was cool. And he got money too. He's like, I don't need you, bro, I got all this cash. I'm straight.
Speaker 1: He saved me. So I was wondering how he was gonna.
Speaker 4: They didn't really think things through a lot, like his skin was impenetrable, but the eyeball made sense now. I was like, dang, is that eyeball gonna held up with it? Like is he blind but you know, mine of detail. But it worked out. So I'm happy this storyline ended the way it. Did you agree with that, Spike? Yeah, I like the way he has worked out, Loni? Was that worked all?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well, this is leading into the last episode. This is episode eight. This is the final episode of course, this type of the man in the mask. So in this one, Kat tells Janet to ask Ben for the antidote because she wants to cure Marco and Lonnie. But they follow Janet to Robbie's place and they end up capturing Ben and Silvermain also forces Ben to contact the Spider and orders the antidote brought to the alcove where he's kind of hiding at What y'all think of the way this one kicked off?
Speaker 3: What happened when he kicked off?
Speaker 4: Well, I got you, it was it was It was tense this episode. I did like this last episode a lot. It was tense him trying to save her even though she betrayed him, and him Silverman saying trying to convince him to reveal his identity.
Speaker 1: So I did like all of that.
Speaker 4: And then Kat was basically came out and was like, yeah, I'm the fucking rat. What you're gonna do about it?
Speaker 3: Because didn't they want to hire Riley to figure out who Spider Man was?
Speaker 4: No, they they sought Riley there to call contact the Spider. Yeah, and then the fake electrocutioner guy was Shocker or electro whatever, was like, I know you, I remember you.
Speaker 1: I thought Mike he was gonna remember him from when.
Speaker 4: They fought the first time, and the way he was talking, and I thought he was gonna say something that because you know, he was always talking when he was fighting, He's gonna say something that gave him an audible like recognition.
Speaker 1: Who was which I did like their first fight scene. I thought that was good just for people listening because in case they were like, oh what you guys think about that? You know how they do U?
Speaker 4: I did like that fight scene because he didn't know how to defeed him and the show, I sorry, Ben Roley was I.
Speaker 5: Because I don't know if they they said this and I tuned it out. But why was his powers not working sometime?
Speaker 3: I have no clue.
Speaker 1: Uh ed, really, it was just just was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they explained it, so I think it's just old age and they were or maybe yeah, that's all.
Speaker 3: I thought it was something that somebody had and we yeah, like that, but that's crazy, nah, I.
Speaker 1: Think it was just washed up.
Speaker 4: They kept playing with that theme throughout the whole you know series, which you know, that's why he had to come back and prove that he still had it with the fight at the bar. So but yeah, so then Cat revealed who he was. I thought Flint was gonna attack and do something he didn't he was gonna let his girl get killed, and then that's when uh oh yeah, and then of course uh he called him some mega wat Megawa was like, oh yeah, you were the p o W guy, and that's when Silvermin started to connect the dots everything and tried to force him to reveal himself. And that's when Robbie walked in, talking shit like he can really fight, And I thought when they gave him the shot, I thought that would explain why he didn't have spider powers and Nicholas Cage Ben Roley was gonna just not reveal who he was.
Speaker 1: So when he revealed who he was, I was like, that was stupid. You'd have to do that. It didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I feel like there was a reason for him to do it, but I don't remember.
Speaker 4: What it was. They gave a reason, and the reason was at this point the megawatt guy was like, why should I give this to you? You want to use this antidote as leverage over us, right, So, and he was starting to kind of basically bump back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and because he had these.
Speaker 4: Darker impulses that he couldn't control, and he wasn't listening to Silvermane anymore. And I think he was going to start attacking somebody or he was going to kill somebody, and that's when he saved the day.
Speaker 1: They made it make sense. I just didn't like it, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they bring.
Speaker 2: They bring in Robbie, who is dressed up as the Spider because Silvermain wants Ben to call the Spider because at this point he's putting it together that Ben Riley is the.
Speaker 3: Spider, Robbie Spider the war but got it fat Yeah that was good.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 2: But Kat is also being threatened to be shot due to Silvermain because Kat had to confess everything that she did, including the fact that she I think it was her that tried to set up him to get killed.
Speaker 3: Ye hired Adison right, So, uh, I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Think, did you did pull the gun on her? And he held the gun to her side, he didn't actually shoot her, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To protect Ben, Kat reveals that she betrayed Silvermain, but before Silverman can kill her, Robbie arrives dressed as a spider. But then Megawatt injects Robbie with the cure and electrocutes him, and then he tries to persuade Marco to help them all overthrow Silvermain, but Ben regained consciousness, and no, Ben regains the use of his webbing because in this show, the webbing comes out of his wrist allah Toby maguire, there's no actual Webshooters, but he somehow regains the control of his webs, which made it confusing as to why they were going away in the first place, because if it was because he's old, then why did they come back. This is really confused the shit out of me.
Speaker 3: But he ends up fighting Megawatt and Marco while Kat is tracking down and killing Silvermain. So did y'all like this no old fight scene?
Speaker 1: Damn, damn you did? I did not.
Speaker 5: I just the action really just didn't work for me in a sense. So again I keep saying, this is sound like a broke the wind of mistakes. So even I kind of nine point five nine point nine to nine percent sure that Riley was gonna walk away from this, Like.
Speaker 1: The only thing I was curious was whether or not Flint was gonna get the antidote or not.
Speaker 4: I thought he was gonna die. So I did like Ben Riley fighting both of them. I thought that was done to him not really being able to defeat them, like because he was sorry shit, so they were wooing his ass and they were much younger, so it kind of made sense. The whole cat Grant or whatever name was, and several main parts. I didn't really care for it, like all these mirrors, so we've seen that a thousand times, but it made sense for this sort of period piece that they would do something like that. And I was trying to count the bullets because I'm like, damn when she shot and killed him.
Speaker 1: But either way, so that was fine. I think it worked for her to get her revenge for him killing her. Uh her, Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, MEGAA was was sucking the dudes up and uh Sam man oh when he took both of the cars and he smashed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was doing his thing, was was killing yeah.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then he took megawatt and threw him in front of the train and he killed that. Yeah, but he was gonna die anyway. And that was the other thing, is like he didn't care. He felt like the more he use his power was the more powerful he got. But he was also burning up and fall apart as well. What I don't know when he was electrocuting sam Man and his ship was turning the fucking glass and he broke his hand off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but and then she.
Speaker 4: Gave me and then they were down the one antidote that was love because I kept count of those, So I think they were trying to create like a sort of tension vibe.
Speaker 2: Was gonna get it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I liked this scene also. I thought it was a cool fight scene. Y'all brought up the car park. I thought that part was dope. I really enjoyed the whole turning his hand into but he had his hand when he came into the office later.
Speaker 1: Bro, I don't know. I don't know if she just waited until I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get it when he's still the sand Man, I guess he can bring his hand back with sand, but I was more so thinking like, okay, when you lose your powers, you're not sand anymore, so your hand should be gone.
Speaker 4: I think he waited until I think maybe she just chopped that part off, and then the sand kind of regenerated, and then she gave him an antidote.
Speaker 1: Because even his face was fucked up too.
Speaker 4: That's the only way I could make it made sense, okay, because I thought he was gonna come in with one on.
Speaker 3: I did too, Yeah, I did too. Now I thought she was gonna be like, well, I don't think I like you no more?
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, So Ben gives the very last antidote dose to to flint Mark, sacrificing his only chance to become human again. And he does this so Cat and Marco could be together, which I didn't give a fuck about. This scene where Cat comes over and it's like, oh, are you mad at me? Or whatever the fuck it was. I was like, man, get this ship the fuck out of here, bro, if you don't kick this chick across the room.
Speaker 1: It was like, look, I read a new game in that ship. You still whatever he called gally wag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, Now this part was also a little bit corny, but I was okay with it. Robbie leaves the Daily Bugle to lead the harlem Ans. What in the de bullshit was this? But yes, then we see Ben and Janet. They renovate. Their office is now called Riley and Rui's Investigations.
Speaker 3: That's kind of it. So, yeah, decent little ride. It was like I said it was, It was fine, it was fun.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised Jalen had as many notes as he did, because I don't think I would have had this kind of detail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he probably does. No more backstory.
Speaker 2: We probably could have used Jalen because I can already imagine the fucking virgins on Twitter and Reddit are gonna be really upset because we didn't give We.
Speaker 3: Didn't give the show the amount of attention that it had divers.
Speaker 1: I love Fire Noir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll investigate why you're a fucking forty five year old virgin. That's all we got.
Speaker 2: Anybody got any closing thoughts on Spider and Noir? Do you do you like the fact that they gave us a season? Show should be Should this have been a movie? Do you want a season two?
Speaker 5: It would have worked as a movie. Maybe because you're not keeping us there for eight hours instead of two. So yeah, worked as a movie. I don't want to see season two at all.
Speaker 3: Damn. I don't think this would be I have people been talking about this like.
Speaker 1: People enjoy it? Yeah, I haven't seen worse.
Speaker 4: It's working well for the audience is intended to That's the think for what I've seen, So I think the audience score is pretty good. I'm cool good, But nah, I think we're fine in and out complete story, him not being able to use powers and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: We don't need to see that for another season, so now we good.
Speaker 3: I agree with you all. This was a fine in and out.
Speaker 2: My only issue with this show is it was eight hours, not really because each episode was like forty minutes. But regardless, I think this could have been. This could have been a punisher, one last kill level type of show. Just drop it on us, give us an hour, hour and a half and call it a day. I definitely think this would have made a better movie because it felt like they were dragging certain shit out, and that was my issue with this show. It was like, all right, bro, like you're overstaying, You're welcome, let's go ahead and get to the ship again. As much as I don't like Nicholas Cage, I thought he did a fine job. But no, I don't need a season two of this. I don't need to see Spider Noir can pop up again in Spider Verse or if they pop him up in Doomsday and he shows.
Speaker 3: Up, ohs this doctor Doom guy and they kill him or some shit.
Speaker 2: Fine, but more Spider Noir going around doing detective shit. I'm straight, I'm good, I'm good. But it wasn't a bad show. It wasn't a bad show. I'll never watch it again, but it wasn't a bad show. So that's all we got for Spider Noir. Let us know what y'all thought in the comments if you want to, feel free to talk with your friends about what we missed and what we did not understand, and I'll read them because I'm curious. But but yeah, that's it. That's gonna do it. Hope you all enjoyed this review, and we'll see y'all next time we out.
Speaker 1: And the total run time was five hours and fifty three minutes.
Speaker 3: That's still a lot of spiderfucking Noir.
Speaker 1: Six hours