Speaker 1: Hi oh, let's go oh, Let's go oh, Let's go oh, Let's go back to Shaw says Talk one of seven point nine FM WBT, Brad Jensen here with you on this Wednesday Wednesday Night edition. Wednesday Night. Every day is exactly the same. Nothing changes. The only thing that changes are the people. Everything else is the same. Welcome back to this Wednesday Night edition of Breaking with Brad Jenson as we go up until seven o'clock tonight. Seven O four five one seven nine is the telephone number that is also the WBT text line driven by Liberty Buick GMC.
Speaker 2: We got a lot we're gonna get into today.
Speaker 1: We got, obviously we talked a little bit about it yesterday, some flat cameras, and obviously there was a lot of news coming out of Moorsville today. But we'll get into that, and I will tell you why the female police officer being arrested in Mooresville is actually a silver lining and why that's a good thing. By using the flat cameras, I will tell you why that's a good thing. It's actually a really good thing. So we'll talk about that, and we got some other things that we're going to get into tonight.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Start off with Congressional District eleven and Chuck Edwards, the congressman who was on this show a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and well scheduled to come on, I believe next week.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, at three thirty two.
Speaker 1: In the morning, he put out a tweet, as one does at three thirty two in the morning, after much prayer and reflection, I've decided to withdraw from my reelection campaign.
Speaker 2: I will complete my current term.
Speaker 1: Serving Western North Carolina has been the honor of my life.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your trust, prayers and support.
Speaker 1: God bless Western North Carolina and American And as of right now, that has over one million views.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 1: It was going to be different difficult for him. He was in a fight for his reelection. He's in an area that is generally considered strong red.
Speaker 2: It was pink.
Speaker 1: It was a purple, but it was pink, and it was going to be difficult. He expected him to win, but it was going to be difficult in his campaign against the Democrat Jamie Ager.
Speaker 2: By the way, Jamie's a dude. It's a guy. Just seen him and is uh.
Speaker 1: Is basically his campaign slogan is a Democrat farmer and he's got all you know, he's done all kinds of farming and stuff like that. So anyways, Chuck was expected to win, but by a very slim margin just because that district is so damn red.
Speaker 2: But it was going to be very difficult.
Speaker 1: And then the House Ethics Committee came out with their findings on Monday and said they recommended censure for Chuck Edwards, which basically is a slap on the wrist. It doesn't mean much. It's like being reprimanded. But what it does is you remember, like when you were in school, and I don't mean high.
Speaker 2: School, but like elementary school at least. This was damn near a weekly occurrence for my ass.
Speaker 1: For talking too much or talking too loud, or being disruptive or whatever, and you had to go stand in the corner. I mean, I had a cot in the corner. I was in the corner so much, right, I was paying rent in that corner. But there wasn't really punishment, but they singled you out, and the whole class knew it was you, right, And so that's sort of what being censured is. You're not being punished, you're just being put out for the entire rest of the people to see. Nothing's really happening to you, except your reputation is damaged. The NCGP did that to Tom Tillis. Other districts did it to Tom Tillis. They censured him. No others went and said we're not giving you a single penny because we hate your guts.
Speaker 2: That happened, but.
Speaker 1: It was going to be difficult, and it was going to be a district the Republicans absolutely one have to have if they're going to maintain control of the House up in DC. So at three point thirty two in the morning, he put out that statement. Like I told you, I reached out to his team today, the ones that helped set up the interviews a couple of weeks ago. Not surprisingly crickets. I mean, not even thanks, but no thanks, just nothing.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 1: Today has been a crazy day and I'm sure they've had every media person across the planet trying to reach out to them today. I get it. So I'll try again next week. He said he's going to finish out his turn, but the House Ethics Committee recommended that he be censured for what they believe they have strong evidence showing that he sexually harassed staffers and made it a hostile work environment.
Speaker 2: He has always denied it.
Speaker 1: He still denied it and said, see this is proof vindication on Monday when he said, I told you I didn't sleep or do anything inappropriate with these people in terms of like grabbing, touching, whatever.
Speaker 2: So that's where we are with that.
Speaker 1: What happens here now is on Monday, this upcoming Monday, the executive committee of that district will meet and they will pick a replacement to put on the ballot in November. Now, even though it's still only you've got all of August, you've got all of September, and if you want to say October, great, but early voting starts in two and a half months. But you can still say all of October, so two and a half to three months left. Or to get his name out there or her name out there, and the fact that it's a Republican may help, or I mean absolutely does help, and that may energize people.
Speaker 2: To show up.
Speaker 1: We'll see, or it may just take Republicans off or whatever and they may not show up.
Speaker 2: Who knows. That's still going to be an interesting race.
Speaker 1: I would still say the Republican is still favored to win, but we'll see how that goes. So I will continue to try to get the congressman on. Like I said, he was actually scheduled to come on the third Wednesday of every month. We had actually we had booked that made that commitment in the last.
Speaker 2: Week of June.
Speaker 1: We had made that commitment, or like last week, first couple of days of July. So yes, we'll see what happens, see if I can get him on. But he did resign at three point thirty two in the morning, resigned from his reelection I should say his re election campaign, not from office.
Speaker 2: He will finish out his term.
Speaker 1: Now there are some people that believe that he Republicans that believe he won't finish out his term.
Speaker 2: So we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 1: All right, Welcome back to Breaking with Bret Jenson here on this Wednesday. Lonnie confirmed it is a Wednesday, so we are here on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So last night I talked about some flock cameras and well, guess what we had a situation today up at Morrisville, Well, the Moorswell Police Department had to have a press conference. So I want to explain to you what happened and then I'm gonna tell you, or first you're gonna hear the report on what happened, and then I'm gonna tell you why. It's actually, I think a good thing. Breaking news out of Morrisfeld officials there saying one of their own has been arrested and fired for misusing the flock camera system. Clean City News reporter David Schuman joins us live from Morrisville PLAZE headquarters.
Speaker 2: David, what all do we know right now?
Speaker 3: Matt Mostville's police chief says that officer Elizabeth Snowman accessed the flock system thirty one times in order to track her boyfriend's ex wife. He says she did it while she was on duty and off. The chief also told us there are other officers in his department currently being investigated for misuse of the cameras, and he said we could be back here days from now talking about another arrest. Still, he believes the positives of the cameras and assisting police work outweigh the negatives.
Speaker 4: People don't have an expectation of privacy and plates that really aren't owned by them are owned by the state anyway. But the question becomes what's being done with that data? So that's the rub here, right, It's not so much they talk about the privacy issue, but listen, this cameras everywhere you drive by, ring doorbell cameras every day of your life. Right, they're picking up the The problem becomes what do you do with what happens with the data that's collected, or in this case, what are cops that shouldn't be cops in the first place doing with this stuff.
Speaker 3: Snowman has been released on bond. Now there are constitutional questions surrounding these flock cameras. The question has not been settled in the courts, but there are legal cases pending. Many people have concerns over the invasion of privacy. They say that the cameras entailed reporting live in Moresville David Schuman, Queen City News.
Speaker 2: All right, so let me give you this little bit of thing.
Speaker 1: And I know this is what people are always concerned about when they ever talk about flock cameras.
Speaker 2: So here's what they talk about.
Speaker 1: You know, stuff like that where a police officer is going in and tracking people whatever. And according to the Washington Post, that has happened fifty times this year in America. But I want you to think about something. How many police departments and sheriff's offices are in America?
Speaker 2: Was it twenty thousand?
Speaker 1: Every town, every county, hell, Gaston County's got the Gason County Police Department and the Gaston County Sheriff's Department, and then every town has their own police department. Right, So you used to have the Mecklenburg CMPD. You used to have the Mecklenburg Police Department as well as the Mecklinburg County sheriffs. Then the Mecklenburg Police Department merged with Charlotte Police Department and that became CMPD Charlotte Mecklenburg PD. That's how they got the name. So I don't know twenty thousand towns. So it happened fifty times. If you think about it, that's a very small percentage.
Speaker 2: Georgia. By the way, twenty of those came from.
Speaker 1: Georgia, just twenty of the fifty, so that's forty percent. South Carolina had two, and then you had twelve of the states that ad one officer. So now we've got the officer in Moreswelle. Here's why I say it's a good thing that she got arrested, or this is a positive for flat cameras.
Speaker 2: She got caught and all these officers that are logging in. Oh and by the.
Speaker 1: Way, almost always, and like the according to stats, almost always it centers around cops tracking spouses or lovers or ex lovers, spying on them because they're suspicious and they don't want to hire a private investigator, so they use flat cameras. But every time you log in, you're tracked, like you're tracked as a person logging in, so they can see and Moresville, as you heard, is expected to maybe even arrest somebody else later this week or early next week. So it's a good thing because that she was arrested because they can track the people that are doing the bad things. Now, granted, fifty seems a lot, but hell twenty came from Georgia, twenty twenty of the fifty. So yes, it is something that you have to concern yourself with. But let me ask you this real quick before we go to break. How many bad doctors are there out there malpractice over prescribing opioids, How many went to jail right, how many have been sued from malpractice or misdiagnosis or whatever, right or screwing up a surgery?
Speaker 2: Do you still go to doctors? You still trust doctors. Everyone trusts doctors.
Speaker 1: Everyone raises hell about the police department, but no one raises hell about probably more doctors than the police officers that are doing things they probably shouldn't, writing themselves prescriptions so they can get drugs, writing their friends prescriptions, over prescribing people like whatever. So just one of those things. All right, Welcome back to Breaking with Bret Jenson. Sorry for that ten minute break that we just had another ten minute break. Unbelievable, all right, so sorry again, sorry about that. There's generally supposed to be about sven and a half or eight minutes, so sorry about the extra two minutes because I do get people text me about that, so my apologies.
Speaker 2: But anyways, I digress. I always said something. I digress.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I was going to do here, I'm not going to do here because that break took so long to go through. It's about an eight minute interview with the go Bears County Sheriff, So I don't have I don't want to do that here, and it would just jack up traffic and everything else. So we're going to play the interview in the next segment. But I can tell you that some things that you guys need to know flot cameras. Flock cameras were put into this year's state budget, you know, the big one with the teacher pay raises and all that stuff, right that was passed and signed by Stein. Fifty flock cameras will be used by the State Highway Patrol generally on the interstates, you know, on the interstates and or side roads maybe where they can track cars, you know, because of drug trafficking or whatever like. Because in North Carolina a lot of things come up I ninety five and the a lot of things come through shop between eighty five and seventy seven. So the State Highway Patrol has fifty flock cameras and the SBI has another fifty State Bureau of Investigation. So the state has one hundred that they will place around the state. And then you're going to have your local local municipalities, whether it's county, city, and now you've got state two state entities, SBI, and what's going on with.
Speaker 2: That with excuse me, with the state troopers.
Speaker 1: So again, like I said last night, you haven't had privacy since about two thousand and three because of the Internet. Every time you search for something on the Internet, it tracks it, you get ads for it. How many times have you talked about something, Oh, you know what, I'm gonna a line. Me and lone are going to talk about a Ford F one fifty truck, and then you go on Facebook a day later and there's advertisers for Ford f one fifty. Happens all the time you search for something on Google, it pops up on YouTube. Why Google owns YouTube, So there's a lot going on. By the way, speaking of YouTube or just in general, how many people actually dash cams? And I don't mean cops, I mean actual people constantly are recording all the things that they're doing.
Speaker 2: Driving wise, always happens.
Speaker 1: People are doing that all the time in case something happens in front of them. Now they've got video evidence. Something happens behind them, they've got video evidence. I was in an uber the other day. They had a dash cam and another GoPro camera mounted on the ceiling looking back towards the passengers in the back seat. In case something happened. They had two cameras. Is that not an invasion of your privacy?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: More than walking down the street and me sitting there in the corner just videoing you, which I can do all.
Speaker 2: Day every day.
Speaker 1: So I don't want to necessarily want to hear about privacy. And by the way, you say you don't want to be tracked, your iPhone tracks every step you go, everywhere, everywhere, and sometimes I believe even when you turn it off, it can still track you still figure out where your pings are. So sorry, I just the privacy thing that ship sailed with the invention of the iPhone in two thousand and seven. So when we come back, we are going to talk to Cabarras County Sheriff Vanshaw, who I met with earlier today, to talk to him about flat cameras having no clue of what was going on in Morswell. And again, I think that's a good thing of what happened to Morswell because it shows every time someone does this, they get busted. And you know what it does, It gets the bad cops out of there because if they're doing this on flat cameras, they're probably doing other things as well. All right, welcome back to breaking with Brad Jensen. So earlier today I caught up with Cabarras County Sheriff van Shaw to talk about the Flock cameras. And again this was before I knew anything about what it transpired in Morzil, But not that there would have changed anything. I just would have added an extra question. But here's how the interview went with Cabarras County Sheriff van Shaw. Just the other day, FLOT cameras aided in a situation arresting people in Gaston County and it was from people that had allegedly done things in Burke County, and the FLOT cameras alerted the Gaston County or Gastoli police and they were able to do all kinds of things and make six arrests and recover a stolen dog and drug paraphernilia and everything else. How long have you guys here in Capari's County had the flock camera system.
Speaker 5: We've been utilizing Flock for about two and a half years now.
Speaker 2: We utilized a small number at first.
Speaker 5: Now we're currently have ten cameras that are spread across the county.
Speaker 1: So with that being said, with just even just ten cameras, has it been good in aiding and abetting arrests or getting suspects and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Has it Has it been worthwhile?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? I mean, you know, things like stolen vehicles. It's led to dozens of stolen vehicles being recovered and related arrests that come out of those stolen vehicle hits. It's helped us over the past year in the investigation of three different murders where we not only used information from our flock cameras, but also from flock cameras that were at private businesses that allowed us to get information from theirs as well. So that cooperative nature between you know, private private businesses and law enforcement has helped us solve many cases, including homicides. And what it does is it helps us put a suspect in the location where the crime occurred and be able to you know, definitely by time and date stamped, you know, captures of the plates. We know that that individual and that car was in that area at that particular time. So while in of itself, it doesn't stand to be the only evidence used in the conviction or in the arrest of an individual, but it does begin to give us investigative leads and point us in a direction and either validates or exonerates you know, someone being under the suspicion of being a suspect.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that for a second.
Speaker 1: Maybe some of the naysayers, and not just Cobert's County and we're by the way, we're here with Cabara's County Sheriff Van Shaw across the country. People say, well, I don't like being tracked and I've done nothing wrong and I'm being.
Speaker 2: Tracked on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Or they're storing my data and they can track my data, and they're selling my data and all my information to third parties. So with those big three concerns, could you address the three of those absolutely?
Speaker 5: As far as the sell of data, that does not occur. Our contract with Flock clearly states that we own the data. It's stored in a secure out. We have a ninety day retention period, So if you pass a Flock camera and a photographs taken off your tag within ninety days, that data rolls off. The only thing that is stored is the tag number. No names personal identification is in that data storage. It takes extracting that tag based on the daytime and location that has an interest to law enforcement and then utilizing other systems like the Division of Criminal Information to run that tag and get the information associated with that tag. So what is actually stored is only a tag number, nobody's named, nobody's addressed, anything like that. You know, it's clear in the contract that we have that they don't. The only access that Flock has to the data is for improving the product, where they will look at a data set, see how it was organized and make that software work better, which is very common with many of our contracts that involve data collection. The company wants to be able to enhance their product as they move through. We have an audit system that tracks the utilization of it. It's backed up by verification. If we receive a hit, we are going to verify that that in fact is listed as a stolen vehicle in the National Crime Information Center and before we take action on that it's technology. Does it have some glitches and problems with it? Yes, if somebody is driving down the road with an obscured tag, say there's some dirt, mud or whatever, could a six be recorded as an eight? Absolutely, you know, no different than calling in a tag number and transposing numbers. From that standpoint, as far as using it to track, now, we're not using it to track citizens citizens simply drive by. Yes, the camera records the tag number. It's not utilized for traffic enforcement. It cannot be used for traffic enforcement. We don't use it in that way. It's an investigative tool or it's a tool that gives us immediate notification of a wanted subject, a stolen vehicle, a missing subject, a missing and endangered child, anything that in CIC applies to that tag number as being of law enforcement interest is what Flock is telling us. So we know as that car passes by that it's been checked against n CIC. N CIC has said, yes, that's a stolen vehicle. We verified in our communications center, and as soon as the information is verified, it's passed on to the officer to an effect a vehicle stop, you know, when they have an opportunity or if they have an opportunity, because obviously a vehicle can turn off a vehicle and speed up down the road and we may not be able to catch up with that vehicle. But it does give us an indicator that we have some type of criminal activity in the community. And you know that's imperative I think for community safety. Uh, you know, is getting those situations that are going to endanger the public at some point, off the streets as quick as we can.
Speaker 1: Last question here with Cobert's County Sheriff Fanshaw in terms of Caberra's County, and I said, this is being used the states literally now using these things on the interstate and the SBI, but specifically with Caberras County. What's been the reaction, like, has it been pushedback? Has there been support, what's been the reaction here? You know, are there individuals that are opposed.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think it's because they don't understand how the system work works and how what the system is used for, so you know, and totally I've seen comments on Facebook, but I've equally comments that say, this is no big deal. If you're holding a cell phone up to your ear, you're being tracked anyway. I think we all realize in this day and age that if we type of search into a computer, it's going to show an AD, it's going to show up a little bit later on. And I get that argument as well. I respect any citizen's concern for their personal information, and we want to do everything we can to protect personal information. That's why there's a stringent audit process. There's a verification process up front as well as on the back end within the agency that's per our policy. But I mean, overwhelmingly for me and what I see in the community is that people understand to some degree that it's being utilized in a reasonable fashion, and they support, many of them saying, if you're not doing anything wrong, then you don't have anything to worry about. And that's true in so many ways. If you know we're doing what we're supposed to do and being good citizens and want a safe environment, then we don't really have anything to worry about.
Speaker 1: Welcome Barre's County Sheriff Ben Shaw. Thanks for taking the time to talk with me about this, because some people are concerned, some people aren't concerned.
Speaker 2: So I really just.
Speaker 1: Do appreciate you taking the time to explain all this and breaking it down for us.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Brett, I appreciate the opportunity to talk with you.
Speaker 2: All Right, everyone that's going to do it for us tonight. TJ.
Speaker 1: Richie's coming up next. My name is Brett Jensen. You've been listening to Breaking with Brett Jenson.