Speaker 1: Michael Penrose top of the Hour fever a winter last night. They added again coming up on Friday, closed out a three game road trip after the All Star Break with the Minnesota Links coming up at one o'clock on Sunday afternoon. Pregame on Friday night with Tidrow I believe comes your way at nine to thirty. That's a ten o'clock start coming up on Friday night on Ion. And speaking of Ion, in other I guess budding sports content hosts out there, I'll think anymore. Automotive Group Potline from the Sports Business Journal Sports Business Journal dot com. Austin Karp had a fantastic article a little bit earlier today, a little heads up regarding Dezone going big on sports and really investing in the NBA market, and Austin joins us right now, good afternoon to your Palhaw.
Speaker 2: Are you thanks for having me?
Speaker 3: Appreciate it?
Speaker 4: Great stuff? So where do we start?
Speaker 1: Give everybody a significant background that may not know, like me, everything about the Zone.
Speaker 3: Well, the Zone is one of the biggest streaming companies, you know, probably in the world, but they're you know, very focused on the European market, very big on soccer. In a lot of European countries, a mixed martial arts and boxing, but they've kind of had trouble cracking the code and cracking into the US market. You've seen them out there, They've had some boxing matches. They were the primary carrier of the FIFA Club World Cup in twenty twenty five, but they really haven't been able to get a mass audience. They tried an NFL like highlight show and they had John Skipper who used to run ESPN. He was an advisor. That's how he tried to get them involved with the NFL. That really hasn't worked. Now where they see an entry point is getting in with these local teams which have had issues with that collapse of Main Street Sports Group that owned you know your networks like FANDO, Sports Network, Indiana, those all across the country. They're going to try to aggregate as many teams as they can t Wolves, Cabs, Pacers, Spurs, Grizzlies on the NBA side. But the big news this morning was that they're going to take a lot of the streaming in the New York market. That's this Gotham map which had the combination of like Yes Network and MSG, so big teams there Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, et cetera, Sabers, Nets, and a bunch of others. They're going to be the home for all they want to be the home for all of these teams, and that's gonna they think, be the entry point for them in the US market.
Speaker 4: He is Austin Carp, Bad Austin Karp. That's Karp with a K.
Speaker 1: You can find him on the social media platform x He's on the Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline. So how well, how would you gauge that folks would feel about this transition with the owne in mind, Like, give me your expectation on if all of this comes to fruition, especially here in this indie market for the Pacers, how do you expect the fans to feel and how would you feel about it? How do you think this is going to go if indeed it does well.
Speaker 3: I lid so much on the weeds on this media stuff. I don't think it phazes me as much anymore. But if you're a general fan, it's probably getting a little annoying these days. If you were an NBA fan last year, you had to find out that there's new media partners and it's New Nights for Is it on Prime Video?
Speaker 5: Is it on NBC?
Speaker 3: Is it on Peacock?
Speaker 4: Is it on ABC?
Speaker 3: Is it on ESPN? And it's double the amount of networks. If you're a WNBA fan, if you're trying to find the Indiana Fever, they could be on I ON or USA or NBC or CBS or NBA TV or Amazon Prime. It's it's getting incredibly difficult for fans. But this would almost be outside of those National Games kind of one stop shopping for Pacers fans, Like if it's not on National TV, you kind of know it's going to be on the Zonne like it was with Fandols Sports Network Indiana. There are there are, there is the availability at least sources are telling us that will be potential over the packages. So you might have some of those broadcast TV games, a few of those that are simulcast or at least in front of any sort of payball that Dezone has making it a little easier for fans to get exposure to some of those games.
Speaker 1: Austin carp He joins us trying to sort this out, and again I want to remind folks, this is not etgeton Stone yet, but we shall see, because we've talked about this Austin during the offseason. What is going to be the new broadcast home. And I don't know if you know this or not, but we are the radio voice of the Pacers and that is great. I want people to listen to us all the time. But I just know that people want the visual and you are right to say it has to be easier. It has to be not only easier Austin to find, because these fever games at times are incredibly hard to find. It's like a process every single week to find out where you're going. But there's also a cost. And folks for tossing around the idea of this being a very expensive proposition, what would you know or what would you expect in that category?
Speaker 3: It is getting more expensive to watch your team, Like you're now having to pay if you have cut the cord and you don't have whether it's Comcast or whatever, have in your market, Charter Spectrum or even draw a direct TV if you just want that direct to consumer over the top streaming service. Yeah, that's an added fee you're paying for your team, and it's it's so counterintuitive where sports media has gone these days. We're in twenty twenty six and we're pining for nineteen eighties technology set up, Like if only there was some way to bundle all of these channels together in one stop shopping. This is literally technology like that's thirty years ago. Yeah, a development that was more fan friendly than it is today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's incredible, and I don't know if that is likely to change Austin anytime soon. You agree, it's I think we're all going to be discombobulated as humanly possible. And when you see the NFL doing it, because the NFL normally takes terms, it's almost like everybody else follows in in to suit with the amount of money that's remaining for their broadcast content.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to get the money that you got pretty easily in yesteryear, you are now having to bring on those multi, multi multiple media partners. If it's something like Nascar, there just used to be a Fox portion of the season and there used to be an NBC portion of the season that got split up into four media partners because that's how Nascar was able to get a media rights increase. So for the consumer, you got to hop from Fox to FS one to Prime Video to TNT or True TV wherever you're watching, and then over to NBC and USA. It is. It is crazy trying to find the race every week. You got to have literally the old TV guy to figure out where your sports are.
Speaker 1: From a selfish angle, Austin, here, I have direct TV, and here's why it is. As you say earlier, it is archaic. I've had it for the better part of now twenty five years.
Speaker 4: I rarely watch anything outside of really about five channels, and literally that is it.
Speaker 1: But here's what I know. I know what is necessary for me to do my job is always going to be right there. And the Pacers were a part of that equation. Well that continue. How would the NBA navigate with DirectTV or the full court package or any of that if this comes to fruition.
Speaker 3: See, you would have your national games at least, you know, if it was on NBC or if it was on ESPN, ABC, but if you already had to leave your direct TV service, if your a game was on Prime video. And it's not just random game. We're talking about playoff series that we're on. There a lot of these in season tournament games. Those are all on Prime video. So you're having to leave that and you would likely have to leave to go watch you have to leave to go watch his own because it's a separate app. But what we're seeing now is more of what's called this like channels business. If you turn on Amazon Prime a lot, you see like, oh, I can get my Paramount Plus on there, or I can get my HBO Max or my Apple TV shows within that universe. Now you can do that for most media companies out there, everything except for Netflix and Disney, because they don't put their original content anywhere else but on their own streaming platforms. And that's something that company needs to change. There needs to be more bundling, more together, more of that direct TV or cable TV universe that used to exist if we're going to have a fan friendly environment.
Speaker 1: Austin Karpa of Sports Business Journal Sports Business Journal dot Com joins us final thing here, do you think that this actually does, for example, for the Pacers in this indie market?
Speaker 4: Does that happen?
Speaker 1: And do you think people around here will be happy with it? Maybe compared to fan duel and that coverage of the past. How will Pacer fans feel around here about.
Speaker 3: It in terms of coverage I'm not sure you'll notice much of a difference. You're basically just going to be switching apps. I imagine that they're going to want to keep around a lot of the production talent and a lot of the team talent, the broadcast talent that's hired by the team anyways, so you'll have a lot of the same figures there, just on a You're gonna have to have some education for fans, especially before the season, where you can find Pacers games this season. I do think this sort of deal is going to get done. The number of streaming platform players out there that are able to deliver something like this that is shrinking. We have seen services out there like a like a Victory Plus, which started with the Dallas Stars and got the Ducks and some of the in the Texas Rangers, and they were talking to a lot of these NBA teams as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: We already saw the Texas Rangers midway through the season drop Victory Plus as a streaming service. Nobody drops your streaming service midway through a season. That nobody does that. Talk about unfanned friendly, but that's how bad the business model was, and it sounds like checks were not clearing from that service limited buyers out there. One thing I can say about the Zone is that it is incredibly well capitalized. It's owned by one of the richest billionaires in the world, lives in Europe, so they don't have a money problem, but they have a recognition problem. And I think adding these teams, whether it's MLB, NHL, NBA aggregating as many as they can and being at the table with the NBA and MLBN NHL, when those leagues create a national product of local streaming services, that'll help the Zone with that proposition.
Speaker 1: That is Austin Karp with us and I mentioned this as we came in. We obviously watched the fever around here last night. It was ESPN Friday Night.
Speaker 4: It's I on.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they're on locally, which is awesome, on Channel thirteen, the NBC affiliate locally, sometimes not, they're on other venues as well.
Speaker 4: Is this working out for them right now?
Speaker 1: And I don't know, is there a change of pace for that league and how we're going to be able to watch their television broadcast in the not so distant future.
Speaker 3: I think that is stink steady. This is year one of the WNBA New Media Rights deal. Now, let's just start locally with the Fever. Like the local deal that you are talking about, those over the air games, that's one of, if not the most lucrative local media rights deal in the NBA. So they love to have that. Even though the Fever No surprise lead all teams in terms of national TV appearances, everybody wants some of the Fever. If you look at the top games over the course of the first half of the season, the first seven all Fever games, there are twenty nine games so far that have topped one million viewers for the WNBA. Half of those are Fever games. And that's across a variety of networks, whether it's USA I on like we're talking about, if they're part of a regionalized window there on a Friday night. So the Fever are continuing to and Caitlin Clark continuing to drive interest, viewership up twelve percent at the All Star break.
Speaker 1: One more thing I wanted to ask, and this is on a national basis, here, do the networks in this deal do they charge more for Fever Caitlin Clark games then they might for other matchups across the WNBA landscape of televised games.
Speaker 6: Is right.
Speaker 4: You're not charging per game like that, okay.
Speaker 3: But you know, if NBC is paying a meteor rights feed to the league, okay, they are now using their passing that cost along to the consumer when they do those carriage deals. When NBC is negotiating with Comcast, when NBC is negotiating with Charter Spectrum a direct TV, that price that you pay for your bill, why does that go up because the cost of that sports right has gone up. And when you add all the leagues together, you know, that's why sports continues to be so important for these companies and keeping them afloat like that's the only appointment for some of the only appointment television left out there. People aren't There's no gathering at the water cool or for a lot of these entertainment TV shows anymore. It's for sports, or it's for something like the Thanksgiving Day parade. It's very few in between.
Speaker 1: Austin Carr, fantastic job right there of sorting things out, at least for the time being with us. He's from the Sports Business Journal and the Andy Moore Automotive Group. Potline again Sports Business Journal dot Com for all the latest. Men, We're gonna stay in the loop with you if you don't mind to see where this thing ultimately goes and get your thoughts if again, everything turns out to be for real here further down the road, Austin.
Speaker 4: Thank you, happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Outstanding work, Austin carp right there, bringing the smarts real good to a show that lacks the smart's real good.
Speaker 4: That's what we need.
Speaker 1: When you just disconnected from Austin, the IQ of this show went down about one hundred and fifty points.
Speaker 4: I could see Austin laughing in the preview screen here when you said that, So nice job, right.
Speaker 1: I just lost the IQ points? Is poof gone? Hey, now we're going to talk about that rock. No, seriously.
Speaker 6: Gone.
Speaker 4: That was really good, good and full disclosure.
Speaker 1: Every single question I ask, and maybe some of you had already an answer, I had no answer none.
Speaker 4: So I didn't know if I was.
Speaker 1: Asking him something where he would go, oh, well, wait a minute, this is already this or that. I didn't want to completely put down de owne, but I was glad to hear him agree with me on where this has to go, and it does for the consumer of sports content out there. It has to become easier has to now he probably won't use the description of you gotta stop jacking around. I will and you got to stop jacking around. If this is it, I hope that it works. If this is it, I hope that it's cheap. A couple of back back years coming up that are huge for the Blue and Gold. I'm glad that you get the content right here on radio. Always want you listening to that. The TV is incredibly important, no doubt. The ride with JMV.
Speaker 7: I love winning, man, I love winning you hear what I'm saying. It's like better than losing that he three five and one oh seven five the Fan, Oh Fever, Last Night Fever Radio one oh five ninety five over the still on the first of three on the road in Portland.
Speaker 4: Coming up on Friday night ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: Is that Tipton nine thirty, tid Row's got your right here the links in Minnesota one o'clock on Sunday.
Speaker 4: That is going to be a.
Speaker 1: Hum dinger, as they say, pregame show here at twelve, maybe now at eighteen and ten. Overall hitting their stride and somebody that would know the voice of the Fever. He's our good friend Pat Boyling kind enough to join us on the Andy Moore Automotive Group plotline. You know, without the Leah Boston situation injury wise, last night, Man, that was so much more like it.
Speaker 5: Do you agree, Yeah, no question, John.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought they played terrifically in the first half, you know, one of the best first halves of the season. They certainly faced, you know, some adversity. That twenty point lead was down to two, and I really thought the beginning of the fourth quarter was one of the big gut check moments of the season so far. You have that twenty point lead, you lose a Lee of Boston. The lead is just kind of slowly dwindling away, but you haven't lost it, and it's at four points starting the fourth quarter. Boston is not back. Caitlin Clark has played nearly the whole game, so she starts the fourth quarter on the bench, and so it's Kelsey Mitchell and a four point lead, and you're feeling a lot less confident than you were or maybe an hour ago, and then Kelsey Mitchell just delivers with eight points in the first couple of minutes, gets that lead back to ten. Caitlin Clark comes back in, makes a couple of plays, hits a couple of shots, and you end up winning a game that you feel comfortable with. In the final few minutes, you certainly miss the Lea Boston's presidence. You know, they don't really have. If Caitlin Clark goes down, it's a very difficult thing to overcome. But you have another guard right next door in Kelsey Mitchell that's an All Star caliber player. When a Lee ab Boston goes down, you just missed her presence so significantly. But you know that backcourt is really really good for a reason. They're All Stars for a reason. The last time they played Seattle a week and a half ago, they combined for seventy five points, and they combined for sixty last night in Seattle, and they certainly needed just about all of those to power them to victory on top.
Speaker 1: Pat Boyle and who's on the Anymore Automotive Group hotline, I'm telling you Kelsey Mitchell is an absolute powder keg of offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, she's just so fun to watch right now. She has always been a dynamic offensive player, but what she has done in the last five six weeks, I mean, I think She's been the best player in the WNBA over the last month and a half. At twelve games now scoring at least twenty points per game, twelve games of hitting at least three threes per game. She's playing at an absolute elite MVP caliber level on the season as a whole, and so too is Caitlyn Clark. But in the last five six weeks, I mean, she has just been on an otherworldly pair. And those two last night, you know, we're just talking about their contributions a little bit a moment ago, but Caitlin Clark was kind of that strong, steady, high level presence throughout the game. Kelsey Mitchell had ten points going into the fourth quarter, and I made this comment, you know, on air to deb late in the game. You know, if you're Seattle defensively after three quarters, after thirty minutes, you've held Kelsey Mitchell to ten points, this feels like a massive win if you're the Storm. And then you look up at the end of the night and she finishes the game with twenty eight points still when you probably felt like you did a pretty good job on her for three quarters of the game. So yeah, I mean, her fourth quarter performance was massive I don't know that the Fever come away victorious without the fourth quarter that she had, especially when you consider Leah Boston was down. I mean, we're truly witnessing a scoring stretch that is historic right now. I mean, she's breaking just about every Fever scoring record that there is, and she's putting herself into rarefied air. Depending on whether you're looking at points per game or her three point percentage or efficiency, all of it is just at such a high level right now. And frankly, I was a little concerned when the team hit the All Star break. I mean, they had just been playing so well. Now, the All Star break in the w it's a lot shorter than it is in the NBA, So in the NBA you're off four over a week, and the WNBA you're off for a handful of days. But Clark had been playing great, Mitchell had been playing great. The Fever won three their final three games in four their last five going into the break, and I was kind of thinking he actually wanted to come. But yeah, you start the post All Star break plate with another offensive explosion as a team. Kelsey Mitchell really good, Kate Len Clark really good. So I think any worries about losing any of that momentum. Hopefully you know they were. They were called by Indiana's victory last night.
Speaker 1: Fever in Portland coming up on Friday night. Can you remember the last time that you you were watching a game, a part of a game where the opposition turned it over I believe just four times and lost at home.
Speaker 4: No, that was weird.
Speaker 2: I can't think of an example like that. It's obviously very very rare. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was really weird because I felt like this, I don't know if you feel the same that it seems like the Fever are taking better care of the ball. And then you look at the opposite side of of what happened in Seattle last night, and they really took care of it. They and the Fever just continued to shoot well, and as you mentioned, they blew a twenty point lead and then regained that advantage and kept the foot on the gas. They still gave up too much, which is ninety five. But I love it when their offense is as robust as we witnessed that last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can give up ninety five when you're scoring one oh five, that's for sure. You know, the couple of games against Seattle, I've just had some statistical eye poppers. I mean you talked about the turnover number, which you just referenced the game on July seventeenth in Indianapolis, the Storm set a franchise record with sixty six points in the paint in a game that they lost. That was the game where Caitlyn Clark went for forty five points ten assists. Kelsey Mitchell added thirty. So you think about, you know, one night you score a franchise record in terms of points in the pain, another night you have just four turnovers at home and you win neither of those games. Well, you got some statistical outliers for the Fever as well. Obviously mentioned the Kaitlin Clark Kelsey Mitchell duo, and in last night's game in Seattle, the Fever were twenty sixth of twenty six from the free throw line, and the record, by the way for most makes in a game without a miss is twenty seven. So that was nearly a WNBA record there. And there were large stretches of the game where you know, DEVI and I were kind of making the comments the difference in this game is the free throw shooting The difference in this game is the fact that the Fever are seventeen of seventeen and the Storm, you know, maybe at the time, we're eleven of eighteen or something like that. So when you go twenty six or twenty six from the foul line, it's hard to lose. When you go thirteen of twenty four from the foul line, it's hard to lose. When Kelsea Mitchell and Caitlin's Clark combined for sixty points, it's.
Speaker 4: Hard to lose.
Speaker 2: And the Fever got all of those things and found a way again last night and fourth straight game scoring one hundred points. That's a WNBA record, twelfth game this season scoring one hundred points. That's the WNBA records. And we're talking here at the end of July in a season that's going to go into September. So we're truly witnessing some historic historical aspects on the offensive end right now, as we've talked about on your show or so here lately. Where the defense ends up will probably go a very long way in determining what the sever team is capable of. But I think you can make a good taste at least through July that you are watching the best offense in the history of the WNBA.
Speaker 4: I would agree with you right there. Pat Boyler is with us.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, I mentioned they got to fire in Portland coming up on Friday night. And while the fire, you know at home, that's opposition. You've you've got to make sure that you maintain that. It's it's difficult for me not to look ahead to Sunday, and to me, that's going to be the ultimate gauge, especially the way that Minnesota team is playing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, you know, and the Fever I think have done a really good job over the last four or five weeks of taking care of the take care of business games. You know, they're one loss here recently with Golden State is one of the top teams in the league. But you've taken care of the take care of business games lately, and this is, no question, one of them. And like Seattle, I mean, the Portland's tough, they're stingy to play good defense. It's a good home court environment. It's by no means a cake walk, it's by no means an easy game. But you look at it and you know, we'll wait to see on a Leah Bustin, which will go a long way and determining you know how you kind of analyze this one. But the Fever are the better team, There's no question about that. And so you know, can you continue to take care of business in these games against teams that are in the bottom half of the standings. You know, it's really interesting you look at the w NBA standings and they pretty much divided in half. The top eight teams have pretty much checked out on the bottom seven. Portland is ninth and a fifteen team league, but they're four and a half games behind eighth place Washington. So you know, this will be a challenging game. Road games, you know, in the WNBA and in the NBA almost always are. And can you continue to excel at the level that you have offensively? And if so, I mean, you know that's that's gonna be tough to beat for a Portland team that doesn't have you know, they're they're a brand new franchise, so they don't have a lot of big name scores or a lot of top level offensive talent. What they've been able to do is really impressive considering all of the circumstances. But they win by, you know, trying to make things stuff defensively. The Fever's last trip to Portland might have been their worst game of the season. They got down by twenty six, they lost by sixteen. So that was a long time ago. That was the end of May, and since then the Fever are fourteen and six, and since then Portland is five and thirteen. So absolutely keeping your focus on this game with the Minnesota game at the end of the trip. Vitally important that you don't look too far ahead because even if you could get Portland. This is me speaking, but if you could get Portland on Friday, even if you trip up in Minnesota, even if you don't win in Minnesota, I would look at a three game road trip where you go two and one as quite a successful one regardless. So we'll wait on the Leah Boston. You know, she went down. When it initially happened, you kind of held your breast. It was good to see her get back up. She took part of warmups before the third quarter. Ultimately didn't play, but you know, the hope would be that you avoided something major.
Speaker 5: Or long term with her.
Speaker 2: Whether that means she plays Friday or not, I don't know, and if you don't have her, you know, obviously trying to replace her is a significant challenge.
Speaker 5: So it'll be an interesting.
Speaker 2: One in Portland, no question here on Friday, and another late one that we appreciate everybody who shays up late watches with us on thhr w ALV and of course listens right here on one oh seven five.
Speaker 1: Hey Pat quickly, I know that you you obviously cover a great deal of the Pacers in game practice all that. Had you ever seen Tyree Saliburton do that East Bay dunk before he did it over the weekend?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I haven't. I can't say I've ever seen him try, but I you know, that definitely kind of turned my head for sure, especially when you consider everything he's going through. And then the last time I actually saw him at least close up was right as the season was ending, and you know, he was going through all of those medical challenges, and just to see where he has advanced physically over the last few months, I think is really substantial and and been good to see. So yeah, I mean, anytime anybody comes off with the type of injury that he has to see that video was pretty cool and as I think we've discussed. You know, I think there's a whole other aspect of the mental side and shaking off the rust, and he's gonna have sixteen months of rust or something like that. But from the physical side, that's where you know, he'll figure the mental side out. He's a smart guy, he's a tough basketball player. It's the physical side that obviously is going to go a long way and determining what kind of season he can have, what kind of career he can have. So as far as all that's concerned, the East Bay dunk, I consider one in the wind.
Speaker 1: Call him all right, Pat Boyling's got you covered. He's with the Fever. The voice of the Fever on the Andy Moore Auto Motive Group plot line. Thanks for making the time today, man. We'll check back in again soon.
Speaker 4: Pat.
Speaker 2: Of course, Jean's gonna chat with you as always.
Speaker 1: Pat Boiling on the Andy Moore Auto Motive Group plotline. Kevin Bowen coming up at the top of the hour, quote it should get every player, every coach, every fan base hope, vision and belief that it can happen. Who said that regarding AU football? Well, answer that coming up, don't go anywhere. Kevin bow On top of the hour, We've got State Fair passes also coming up. This is nainety three five and one oh seven five. The fans hit tight on the any More Automotive Group hotline, speaking of Holy Hill and more. Ah, he's alongside our good friend James Boyd in the Morning Fan Morning Show, which has been staked out for the past couple of days now and will be for the foreseeable future for the final time at Graham Park in Westfield for coach camp. Kevin Bowen joins us, Now, does that surprise you at all that Barry Otam would frame that up in a quote the way that he did regarding the Boilermaker rival.
Speaker 5: No, I big have you had him on?
Speaker 4: Ye, John, I had I've had him on. I've had him on once before. The same with Signetty. I've had him on both once and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think we had very on the time last year and then maybe back in the spring as well, and you know we have some something similar. And I think he.
Speaker 6: Handles the question quite well. I mean, yes, you have to acknowledge it and all of that. I'm sure there's a little bit of like I am I just am sick and tired of talking about my rival.
Speaker 5: But you know, welcome a little bit, I think to the reality of the situation.
Speaker 6: You know, obviously the UNLV James Madison saying, you know, maybe a slightly different you know, resource wise, you know, again where you at financially, Indiana Purdue, I don't believe they're on the same wrung, you know.
Speaker 5: From that aspect of it. So I think that's something you probably have to acknowledge too. But obviously a massive year.
Speaker 6: I mean last year, I guess they they they crawled, maybe they certainly weren't walking, but you know, Ryan Walters definitely had them in a very baby state when he took over there. So yeah, you got to get some big tun wins. I mean, the schedule still.
Speaker 5: Is really tough.
Speaker 6: I mean, Notre Dame in the non conference, I want to say, I think they still got wake force. Maybe, I mean they haven't gone the full you know, cake in the non conference like some other Big Ten teams have here, but certainly when they get in a conference play, they've got to a be more competitive across the slate and then be you got to finish a few of those off.
Speaker 1: Kurtin Signetti meets with the media by the way, coming up tomorrow and Zach Osterman, who is up there, will join us and we will converse about that on tomorrow, Shew.
Speaker 4: But Kevin Bowen is with us. So you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Crawling and hopefully walking and all that. How much of that analogy can you put to Daniel Jones right now in day number one coming back from that injury.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he definitely did more than he did in the spring. You know.
Speaker 6: Again, the eleven on eleven drills would be a clear step fourteh of all of them today during practice, and then he had i would say probably three or four specific play where he actually was in eleven on eleven moving out of the pocket throwing the football he had to scramble, which again that is something that the Folts weren't even really allowing him to do in the spring period. So again, positive steps in the right direction. You know, there was certainly right now the personnel that he has at wide out versus the corners he's going up against, it's really subpar. Frankly, and Shaveriausward and soft Gardner definitely showed that today. It was kind of a rough final period of work for the starting offense. But you know, if you're just looking at Jones individually for late July, Achilles rehab, all of it, I think you have to be pretty pleased with where he's at all.
Speaker 1: Right, you mentioned it too, and the clock is ticking on the getback of Alec Pearce, which is going to be incredibly necessary, because it seemed, as how you described it and others up there watching practice today, that the wide receiving group was somewhat swamped by those in the corner, whether it was Mooney or Sauce Gardner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially again that that third and final team period it was Ayah Daniel Jones trut to throw on THEO I think it was the Kwan treadwell on the far side of the field, and Mooney ate that up.
Speaker 5: I thought he nearly picked it off and then out to the next.
Speaker 6: Player a couple of plays later that Josh downs lineup outside and again you're asking him to do some of that, and Sauce Gardner pretty much said the same thing, which you know, again, Sauce and Mooney are went out there, top flight corners in this league, and right now you're whiteout group.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just not that.
Speaker 6: And again you're asking the guy like Downs when he's not in the slot to do some things that were unsure of if he can do at the NFL level. So you certainly need Pierce back. It doesn't sound like he's coming back for at least a week or two. And then of course the old veteran for eagent and you know how much he was looked into that. I get you can scheme some things up with Shane psych and and you know, game planning on a Sunday allows Shane to you know, kind of you know, be at his best. And Tyler Warren definitely had a couple of nice moments early in practice.
Speaker 5: But it is a wide out group right now. That's I think leaves you wanting more.
Speaker 1: What surprises you more right now that they haven't brought anybody of significance in yet, or that former player Kenny Moore remains unsigned.
Speaker 6: That's a good one. Yeah, I guess you can make case for either. You know, I think anytime you get a veteran this time of year, it's kind of always curious, like, you know, a how is that veteran few things? You know, is that veteran saying, hey, I only have so much left in the tank. I you know, I don't necessarily want to be somewhere late July when you know, still a month and a half away from the start of the season. Does the veterans sit there and say, I'm waiting for the big injury? I mean, we see it everywhere around the league. Every position group has one or two of those during training camp. You know, are you kind of waiting for that?
Speaker 5: But as far as the Colts are concerned.
Speaker 6: You know, the question I wanted to ask us about on Tuesday was, you know, is Alex Pierce's status impacting your pursuit or in this case right now, the lack of the pursuit of the veteran white out because if you look at the offseason, John, they obviously lost you know, eight several notable Colts, but in Pittman's case, they really didn't replace him with anything of big time resource. You know, Nick wes Percakine a free agent signe, but again he's largely been a journeyman. They didn't draft a white out till take two fifty four in the draft, and Dion Burks is certainly not viewed like Michael Pittman junior, which again that is different from how they're trying to replace the sire Franklin or how they're trying to place Kenny Moore, or how they're trying to replace Nick Cross.
Speaker 5: I mean, you have some pretty frontline draft.
Speaker 6: Picks with all of those types defensively, and you don't really have that at white Out.
Speaker 5: So you know, it sounds like, based off what Ballard said, it's not as much of a Pierce injury situation.
Speaker 6: It's more to do with we want to see what the other guys can show us, So Ashton do one l lawn Treadwell, Nick, what's for Kakine? Come on down and you're gonna get great opportunity here early in camp, and it's your job to try and prove to the cults they.
Speaker 5: Don't need to go out there and get anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, and that and maybe maybe you're just kind of waiting.
Speaker 1: You mentioned what's left in the tank, and if it's somebody, for example, like Keenan Allen that has had a past with Shane Steichen and the application would not be as advanced as it might be with somebody else. Then we talked about contractually, how much money can you say by by waiting, And I'm sure there's probably something fixed in all this as to the reason why you haven't addressed it, because between you and I here, there's no way they're not going to have to There's this zero way.
Speaker 5: Right and again to me, like you have to acknowledge where where Pierce is out as well. If they're sitting on plenty of cap spates, and if you want to play the finances game, I get you might want to save a little bit for an extension or two. But still, I mean, they're on when the calebs can look it up. I don't know twenty five thirty million.
Speaker 6: Dollars in cap space right now, so you know whatever Keenan Allen would cost, whatever one of these veteran whiteouts would cost.
Speaker 1: They're running lean anyway, brother, you know what I mean. It just seems like that in a lot of a lot of facets they're trying to run lean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And like I understand, there is an element of like, yes, I get Tyler Warren can help you out there. I get the Shane Sike and can kind of scheme some things up there.
Speaker 5: But you're just so.
Speaker 6: Dependent on pristine health with Peers down and Warrent. You know, if one of those guys were to go down. You know, you need to program if you're sitting there in section one fifteen six fifteen whatever, to know who's running out there at wide receiver.
Speaker 5: I said this in the spring, and I mean I kind of heard a few of my colleagues say it to me, and I shared the same sentiment today.
Speaker 6: You know, when you watch the receiver group run out there at the starting offense right now, you're a little caught off guards thinking, wait, that should be the second group of white outs. But no, I mean without Pierce right now, it's Josh down to those guys. So you know, again they're getting a great opportunity. But it makes me I would think a little uneasy to sleep at night.
Speaker 1: So thirty one millions in number you asked for, by the way, I am According to Kalem, it's funny. I look at Chris Ballard and I think it was you that asked the question yesterday that you know, No, I didn't you know he wouldn't sign the extension. I'm paraphrasing here, but at least what I gather is that he wouldn't sign it because he still has something to prove. He's got to win, which I kind of wonder how weird that is if a contract was actually offered to you. I'm not suggesting that it is, but if you were offered an extension and he wouldn't do it, that may be the most questionable move he's ever performed while here for ten years. To me at least, why would you not do that if it were offered so obviously to me it wasn't. The Other thing that's weird about this is you mentioned the cap room that they have and me saying that they're running lean. It's really odd considering the circumstances and how he phrased it to you yesterday, Hey, the time is now and not going all in in the moment. Why do you think that there's still very much running cost efficiently in what could be the final stand for him in when they have some money to burn and some situations you would like to increase the value of Why would they not be in? Is that something from ownership or is that just the way that Chris Ballard is still operating even under these circumstances.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a great point that you bring up. You know, I don't know if you remember John Back. I think it was maybe right for.
Speaker 6: The Giraffe when Ballard had a press conference and he kind of got snippy with me about the salary cap when I asked him a cap related question, ironically very similar to what we're talking about right now in why are they sitting on so much of this cap?
Speaker 5: And you know, I think what he was getting at outside of the.
Speaker 6: Snark was, you know, it's more of a cash over cap and the cap being more of an accounting method.
Speaker 5: Type of deal here. So again, to me, that would be a little bit more top down organizationally that and probably more of an ownership thing.
Speaker 6: And they obviously shelved out a whole lot of money to Daniel Jones and Alex Pearce this off season. But I guess where I have some confusion is like that they clearly were ready to do something for Trey Hendrickson, you know, something of you know, significant financial node.
Speaker 5: And you know, I remember when they signed Arden McKee. I probably said it to you. I certainly said it in the morning. You know, to me, the arden Key move needed to be a move, not the move at defensive end. Well, it ended up being the move.
Speaker 6: And if you were out at Grand Park today you saw what we saw in the spring, Arden Key taking the starting reps there, and it's not like they came back in the draft and then you know, they took a d end in round two or round three, and you know, and tried to find that, you know, they didn't draft one until George comes there in the middle round five and Kayden Curry in the middle round six.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I don't. It's it's a great question. It's a fair question. I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't really understand that because you know, to me, you know, when I hear higher sense of urgency back in January and then I watch how the next seven eight months of unfolded for the organization, I think I'm missing the urgent actions of you know where that occurred. You know, if you just did an addition subtraction game. Uh, it's a lot banking on in house development. It's a lot banking on you know, Rookie Frankly being you know, relatively incident and pat guys for you.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I don't have a great answer for you.
Speaker 4: There, keV Man. They do.
Speaker 1: They do a lot of things that would make you wonder what they're thinking about financially and what is the the ultimate of importance you know what I mean, And we've all asked this before, nobody really truly knows, but you know, a lot of things on and off the field, it kind of makes you wonder. I know, you're right they handed out money to a quarterback and a wide receiver, but essentially you kind of had to I don't know what other alternative you had. You know, they made that deal, which you know, compromise the short in future, they probably would have started all over again had they not made that trade deadline deal for Sauce Gardener. So you're kind of soaking in it and you'd have to do it anyway, but they do it take some measures that that kind of make you wonder exactly financially what the thought is here and if the pocketbook is as wide open as they talked about it being.
Speaker 4: You know, prior to the passing, the unfortunate passing of Jim Mercy.
Speaker 5: Right and again last off season, John I did think we saw different, you know, Tavarius Ward and and you know cam bine him. But you know when when Mooney came on with View last spring, I mean he told you the story, yeah, that he thought he was going to be a saint, and that was kind of the hometown team.
Speaker 6: And then the Colts came in and sweetened the offer, and you know, that's very anti Colts, and so you know when I heard that, it was like, okay, this is different. You know, this is the Cults saying enough is enough. We need to do some things differently. Whether that's ownership, whether that's Ballard's nature. You know, maybe both of them go in hand in hand here, but that was clearly something different from them.
Speaker 5: But again, this all season you really didn't get that.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's certainly a bit head scratching. The financial questions I think are are fair. And you know, i'd something I asked Carli or say Gordon earlier in the off season. We just kind of met with you know, we'll do anything you know it takes to win.
Speaker 5: Or you know, however you want to phrase it. But I think that is a question that a lot of people do have organizationally, when you're ranking you know, maybe the thirty two respective ownership groups across the league.
Speaker 1: Yes, seems like there's at the very least right, it's mixed messaging if we're trying to read it, because you go forward its trade deadline, you know, you go forward in the moment with quarterback and ride receiver. But you still have glaring needs that clearly you could have and maybe even tried to address that you haven't thus sitting on you know, that that pot of gold, so to speak.
Speaker 4: Right now, it's just really odd. If nothing else well.
Speaker 5: And again a lot of something for me goes back to the Hendrickson thing.
Speaker 6: Like you know, I'm trying to think of like a proper analogy as we approached dinner time here, but like you know, call Trey Eddridson going to the downtown steakhouse. Well, I mean, if you're starving and for some reason all the downtown steakhouses are closed, you're you're still gonna find your way to stake and shake there the corner of you know whatever.
Speaker 5: Maryland and Illinois, I mean, you're you're you're still going to do something to satisfy your your hunger.
Speaker 6: And really, again they didn't do much at all at the senseive ent, and it puts, you know, ample pressure on Laud too, lots of you know, puts pressure onto four s bucks there, which you know that was obviously good news yesterday in regards to him, at least, you know, being able to practice here early in camp.
Speaker 5: So, uh, it was a.
Speaker 6: It was an off season I think for the Colts because calling it you know, I hear this fans, they've often labeled it run it back, run it back. I get where they're coming from because because there's not a lot of really new free agent faces.
Speaker 2: But it's also not.
Speaker 6: Really run it back because they've lost like seven starters that add up to more than five hundred starts.
Speaker 5: But again, how they've replaced them. It's just a lot of.
Speaker 6: Rookie class guys that they're gonna need day one, you know, impact from and or you.
Speaker 5: Know, in house development here. So yeah, I mean, we'll obviously see how it all plays out.
Speaker 1: Repping the Fan morning show, Kevin Mowen, he and James will be back up at Grant Park and Westfield again coming up tomorrow morning, so we'll Querry and company basically seven until ten and then ten until one and then an Eisen and a crap load PSAs before I come on a three tomorrow afternoon on ninety three to five and one O seven to five. Fan, All right, here's another weird one.
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: And this listen much shocked by really anything anymore, But I thought that there was a lot more doom and gloom surrounding to Forrest Buckner all off season, and then I kind of wondered why yesterday with his dialogue You agree, Yeah, I think there was.
Speaker 5: Maybe a little bit like organizational protecting of him, and you know, neck.
Speaker 6: Injuries and nerves are generally uncertain, and so yeah, I think there was just kind of a tentative nature for you know what you're really committing, you know, to with him.
Speaker 5: At the timetable. Yeah. Again, I think that's why I said a few minutes ago, to me, that was a surprising good news.
Speaker 6: And I still think there is a little bit of an unknown to it. You know, they are definitely gonna eat him into this. And you know when you hear Buckner's words, I mean New Year's Eve surgery, he can't pick up a salar aged children.
Speaker 5: He's mentioned the need to possibly have to change his technique to play a position that he's played very well for a decade.
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't hear that coming off surgery, Like Alex Pearce is not going to be saying that whenever he gets back out there, or you know, insert your other guys that have had you know, surgeries here this.
Speaker 5: This off season, So yeah, I think it was a little bit of just kind of the nature of neck and nerve and all of that. You know.
Speaker 6: Buckner, of course, is a guy that frankly just hasn't missed really any time in his NFL career.
Speaker 5: But now it's a back and it's a neck and he's got to go to Panama on stem cell and you know, again a very serious surgery.
Speaker 6: So I think that's probably where some of that came from. But yeah, I was I was surprised to see. You know, he didn't do much today, to be clear, but still the fact.
Speaker 5: That he was out there and cleared is obviously a good son.
Speaker 4: Should the kicking battle get under way today.
Speaker 5: Nothing nothing, a lot of chicking battle.
Speaker 4: Where's my? Where's my? I'm a groupie, I'm a groupie, groupie, what's my? What's my? Little guy?
Speaker 5: He's got some swagger to him. Oh yeah, he's got a he's got some swagger to him, to say the least.
Speaker 4: He's got it. He's got a Napoleon complex like crazy, doesn't he.
Speaker 5: Yeah? He h yeah, he definitely uh, you know he uh, he definitely has a little bit of a Yeah, he doesn't act.
Speaker 4: Like you know, I like him, man, I liked a little dude. I like him. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Kickers, Yeah, kickers mentally give me the cockiest you know what all day long. You know, you get the old mental you know what at at at kicker, that's a disaster waiting to happen. So yeah, I mean they did in the spring, which again since or Trader is a month and a half ago, still coming back from the serious leg injury, but he did miss a couple of kicks in that spring session. The one thing to note, and I know it sounds weird because it's kicker, but they don't kick every day, you know, And so you got thirteen practices up here. My guess is they'll kick four or five times. So you know, when you do kick, I mean it carries a little bit more weight in your safety competition where you know, those are kind.
Speaker 5: Of daily battles there.
Speaker 6: So yeah, right now, I kind of like, uh like groupie. I mean, after what he did in Seattle last year, it's hard not to like. Granted the Trader didn't what he missed one kick. I think he did in his you know, five game, six game could sample sized last year too.
Speaker 4: Hey, if you have him on, I want him on. I would not try to take his Lucky Charms.
Speaker 5: Grouping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, magically delicious. Come on, do you get to yea yeah, because he kind of he's reminiscent of Lucky of Lucky Charms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I if I follow you there.
Speaker 1: If I referenced him as that, you think that he would would he embrace that nickname or reject it?
Speaker 5: Boy, I'm gonna guess that he's been asked enough size comments over his years on this earth. So I mean, that's that's That's quite the stretch there. I'm giving you credit.
Speaker 4: It takes a lot in attempting that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I'm gonna, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna call him Lucky. I think we need to have a kicker that's nicknamed lucky Lucky.
Speaker 5: You can call him a four letter word as long as the ball goes through the upright.
Speaker 4: There, right, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I do like the dude a lot though, And I agree with you on the whole swagger thing. And the problem is as a kicker, the swagger oftentimes or the confidence with those around you, is completely gone after one miss.
Speaker 4: That's really all it takes. One miss.
Speaker 5: Well again, I mean, he struggled in New Orleans earlier this see, earlier last year, and he'd been a you know, solid kicker through his first.
Speaker 6: Couple of years and then boom, you know, he was able to you know, kick at a super high level, you know once he once he got here.
Speaker 5: So you know the question I've asked myself, what would net Moore in a trade right now?
Speaker 6: The loser of the Colts Kickers competition or Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 5: I think it's actually a.
Speaker 4: That's even worse. That's worse of my lucky reference right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's a fair and an utterly pathetic debate, But I actually think it's a good debate.
Speaker 5: What would net more in a trade around the league right now?
Speaker 1: Would that hurt your feelings? If Schrader is the odd man out because you're you're a Notre Dame guy, would you cry?
Speaker 4: Well something? I guess he's an er game guy too, I guess, so, I guess you're happy either way.
Speaker 6: I mean, Brian Mason coordinator, you got all all the Notre Dame dudes, so designs the product in Brian Mason.
Speaker 1: He's gone to his So no wonder you don't care, well, no wonder, you don't care. They're both Notre dame guys. And listen even more so with Lucky that makes complete sense. Now from Lucky Charms, I'm good. Ay he may, he may. I don't know if ever had my ass whip by somebody five foot five, but it may happen.
Speaker 5: Well save that for when you're out here to join practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will.
Speaker 5: In person.
Speaker 1: Remember last year when I asked Kenny Moore about his medical situation and he said something about hippa and you shouldn't ask me that, and then the fan base just absolutely unloaded on me. They said he hates your guns, and then he had to get on He got on social media and said no, I don't hate him.
Speaker 4: We get along great.
Speaker 5: So that got awkward really real quick.
Speaker 4: It was really awkward.
Speaker 6: Yes, I had one of those with Michael Badgley last year. So remember Badsley was the kicker after Schrader, before Groupie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know Badsley comes in and that was one of those.
Speaker 6: Big kicker tryouts. You know, they had whatever seven or eight guys in here to tick and you know Badsley used to be cycles. So I'm kind of curious, like where have you been you know, what's it like, you know, being a kicker that kind of does these you know, Tuesday tryouts around the league and then you get the call and you win it and you could save your NFL career. So I asked Badsley where he's been kicking, and he got all snippy, thinking like I was asking him like his home address, and I was like, oh, geez man, No, I'm not trying to steal your Amazon packages here, I'm just trying to get a little.
Speaker 5: Color to the story.
Speaker 6: So yeah, let's just say maybe and when when with a kicker too, maybe didn't have as much sympathy for him.
Speaker 4: I am a groupie groupie right here. That's me groupy.
Speaker 5: Great, love it, I love it. Sign me up for that?
Speaker 4: Hey the Zone? Would you be down with that?
Speaker 1: Does this sound like something you'd be interested in if the Pacers end up with that that content provider this season?
Speaker 5: No, it sounds like an absolute ridiculous price point. What are twenty nine ninety nine?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine running people off with that price tag?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna do this in the Morning show tomorrow.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you guys have already done this, but just have Caleb, or you go through the prices for these streaming services, like when you start reading off the prices for Peacock or Amazon or Paramount Plus.
Speaker 5: I mean we're talking like fourteen dollars nine to ninety.
Speaker 6: Nine, maybe some close to twenty, and you're watching or you have the opportunity to watch many different things. Pacer fans are not wanting the Zone to watch Mortal Kombat stuff or Syria a soccer or whatever else. I enjoyed the Austin Karp listen earlier from you guys.
Speaker 5: It's just it's just awful by the league that it's come to this.
Speaker 6: And I really wish Wish TV or whatever, WGHR somebody locally would be the boat that we're going to go through here.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it doesn't sound like that's going to be happening.
Speaker 4: Does Zone. How much you guys spend a month for your content?
Speaker 5: We go, we got YouTube TV. We made the switch like four months.
Speaker 6: I was a cord guy for a long long time and I finally finally realized I should stop doing that.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, what's that eighty bucks a month? I think? And then we probably have I don't know, two or three of the others maybe three or four.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I mean one hundred and one hundred and fifty all and maybe so you know, all of a sudden, if you tack whatever, thirty four bucks on seven months of that, I mean, that's that's two hundred dollars that I mean, that's.
Speaker 5: More well over more than what I'm paying right now.
Speaker 1: I pay three hundred bucks a month for direct TV. I don't even get porn with that either.
Speaker 5: I was going to ask you if you got the triple ck on that, Well, no, but I do.
Speaker 4: And here's the thing.
Speaker 5: They could be filming those things at your house for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's exactly what they need to do right there. One of these days I might be begging for that.
Speaker 1: I will tell you this, I just want this to be easy, and I want to go home and know that I hit a button and boom, there it is. If it's much more than that, and it's much more costly than that, you're going to run so many people away and it's going to be tough to get them back. And these are two very important season's coming up here for the Blue and Goal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree on that.
Speaker 6: And just the last thing I would add, John is I would feel so much better or whatever, swallow my pride in the situation if just the price point made sense. Like I get that we are streaming everything virtually in today's world of sports. I understand that, but thirty four to ninety nine, when you start to compare that to the other streaming services.
Speaker 4: Would it be cheaper to my season tickets?
Speaker 1: Would it be cheaper to my season tickets way up top or or at least a half season package today?
Speaker 4: I mean at least, yeah, some.
Speaker 5: Sort of package there, Yeah, I mean definitely on that front there. So yeah, to me, it's just a huge, huge bummer if this is the route and that's the price point that we go.
Speaker 6: And I feel for our guy, you know, I feel for Chris then and JJ and you know, obviously they're still going to have jobs, is my assumption, but still, you know, it shouldn't come off as a reflection on them, and they've been tossed around in this like no other, so I really feel for them.
Speaker 1: We are groupie groupies here on the Andy Morril Automotive Group plotline. Kevin Bowen to the Fan morning show here and James have you from Westfield coming up tomorrow morning? Starting to get seven, followed by Query and Company at ten o'clock once again. And I'll be out there on the twentieth of August. My only time out there, so the only time groupie's gonna have a chance to get after me is on the twentieth. Good luck, groupie, get.
Speaker 5: In your ass beat by a five sonn kicker.
Speaker 4: I can't wait for that.
Speaker 1: Hey, hold on here a second, okay, pal, hold on, I mean, I'm gonna post him up, Buddy.
Speaker 4: Tell Maddie the family.
Speaker 5: I said, Hey, thanks John, I appreciate it.