Speaker 1: Live from the ex Board Bear Garden Studios. You're listening to the BYC where we're still basking on the glow of our series victory against India. With that in mind, I must admit to finding it difficult getting aroused in any way about the T twenty series against Sri Lanka. However, there were some notable performances and it's also an opportunity to blood new players as we look to identify the next tier of Black Caps, and I feel more and more Dylan Cleaver that T twenty is just a breathing ground now. It's something where maybe selectors and so forth of various countries just said as an opportunity to give other players an opportunity, which suggests to me that they don't really care immensely about it. It's just a training exercise. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Half and half? I think you're wrong. When it comes to World Championships, I think they're sure. I think they care very deeply about doing well at those. But in terms of a non contextual bilateral T twenty series, I think you're dead right that it is. Let's have a look at this fuller. Let's have a look and see how they go under the pressure of international cricket. But yeah, I mean, one all, I think that's probably about as good as you can hope for in that New Zealand team that's shorn of most of it stars. Yes, and yeah, and there were some intriguing little performances there from a few guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And look, I'll be really honest with you, Paul Ford. You know, we've talked a lot on this podcast about, you know, looking at the next tier of players, and I'm all for giving players an opportunity, but holy how I mean to go from that series against India down to a T twenty to you know, two program sort of situation in T twenties against Sri Lanka. She's a bit of a drop down, mate. It's hard to get the old enthusiasm going.
Speaker 3: It's ratchet scheduling, it really is.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was struggled with that too. I've got to say though, I was. I've been thinking about this and I got a real kick out of us winning that second game.
Speaker 3: I really did. And for me, it.
Speaker 4: Was just a little bit of icing on the cake after the massively, massively unexpected result in India.
Speaker 3: And you know, I.
Speaker 4: Guess that's just renewed my faith. You know, schlank are that good. I think they're ranked number eight and teach twenty cricket. But the fact of the matter is that with that team, Mitchell Center in charge and all of that Jazz pretty much the only senior player along with maybe Glenn Phillips and arguably Will Young Lucky. Maybe I just thought we were going to get thumped and then we didn't. And so I guess the combination of those two things is renewed my faith after I felt like I lost it in that Sri Lankan test series. So I hate to break it to you, fellas, but I'm back in the frothy optimist Optimistic supporters club again Inurious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, you know, I don't want to denigrate it anyway, and I have always put my cards on the table with regards to T twenty. I'm not a massive fan of it, but I it is great. Let's be honest to see some new talent coming through, you know, to see how they go to have a completely different setup in regard to the team Santana a skipper, et cetera, et cetera. So let's look at the first game. And I thought, oh Lordie, okay, but having you know, there was some pretty dominous signs there Dylan Cleaver, but also some some nice standout performances in terms of the new Zealanders. Yep.
Speaker 2: I think the first thing we should say is that at Dan Buller, it was Dan Buller, wasn't it not Pala Kelly. Yep, Dan Buller wasn't conducive to massively entertaining No. Twenty cricket. But I yeah, look, I have seen Bagger all of Zach Falkes to the point where I don't even really know how to say his name properly. But twenty seven I think it is folks.
Speaker 3: I think it's just folks that folks.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's going to go where folks from now, But twenty seven out of sixteen and then three for twenty with the ball, and you know, he looks he looks handy, like he looks the kind of and like this is woefully premature, but he looks like the kind of player that could really add something across all three formats.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think that's the good thing, you know, is that if you're sort of showing this new talent, the encouraging thing is that they can potentially play across all forms, not just b T twenty specialists. What were your thoughts there, Paul Ford in that first game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I think Folks was absolutely caught the eye. He's only twenty two, I think only twenty two in June, so he's a he is a young buck bowls one hundred and thirty five kilometers an hour.
Speaker 1: Not bad teams in jess it around.
Speaker 4: He's got some couple of variations back of the hand, slow and split finger and gives it a whack.
Speaker 2: With the bat.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is a kid who's come out of St Andrew's College, won the Gillette Cup with that first eleven and twenty nineteen, from a cricket family, but he is the best cricketer in his family. So yeah, his old man played for Canterbury Country and he played in that team with his younger brother Robbie and his older brother Liam, so.
Speaker 3: Real Canterbury Stock. He looks hip. I really really like the look of him.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, it looks like he's going to be right in contention for that sort of the next cab off the rank alongside you know, someone like Nathan Smith.
Speaker 1: I think you got a Yeah, Nathan Smith, he's a real prospect m And you've got to look at it two in context of I guess you'd have to say regarding Test cricket, Glenn Phillips is kind of out all rounder now and we don't have that sort of Chris Ken's type character who can bowl a pretty nippy delivery and give it a bit of a thump and you know you're Jimmy Nishams and so forth. Their sort of down the line now, So it's encouraging. How old did you say? It was? Twenty two? You know to see because he caught my eye too and I thought, hello, hello, he's a prospect here and certainly for higher honors in terms of Test cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the one thing that's really lacking from our Test side at the moment is that balance that a seam bowling all around of brings. I think before we started a naunting him there. He's got to get a few more runs, of course, like big runs in first clast cricket. But yeah, certainly, yeah, he Yeah, he was intriguing. That's the word I kept coming back to. I kept on watching him and thinking, yeah, this kid, sure he might have come through the the Canterbury. I guess it's now the tried and true way into the New Zealand team, isn't it to go to a private school in christ Church? Oh?
Speaker 1: Come on, now, come on now the Yeah. Can I ask you guys a question just in terms of, you know, looking at the other formats, your one day cricket, Test cricket. You know, with Michael Bracewall coming back into into the sort of fray as it were, it's kind of a head to head between him and Phillips. Now do you.
Speaker 2: Think, Yeah, I think he might actually be on the outer and Test cricket now sure, because Phillips has taken that mantle. Yes. The one thing I would say about Phillips though, is again like if he's going to be an all arounder and Test cricket, he's got to start scoring centuries like big runs. And he's made a couple of really telling cameos at this point. But yeah, you would like to see him. I mean you what Daniel for Torre sixty centuries?
Speaker 1: Did he?
Speaker 2: I think he ended up sixtieth century?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Pretty handy average too, thirty odd.
Speaker 2: You look at guys like Chris Ken's five Test centuries averaging in the thirties, so I think Phillips needs to have some substance to the cameos. But I do think he's gone ahead of Bracewell for their off spinners around us things is the other interesting thing. Who has actually got a test century But you can't I don't think in New Zealand conditions, in particularly, you can play more than one of those spins around.
Speaker 1: Us one of three there. Pull forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 4: Isn't it lovely conversation to be having? Not Oh my god is injured? What the hell are we going to do? It's much more about how how do we squeeze all these guys in? And you know, the Williamson will Young conundrum is the other one, which we've talked about previously. But these are good problems, right, these are bloody good problems there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I feel like you pull forward quite optimistic, you know, because we were here talking about oh god, I mean, where's the talent coming through, et cetera, et cetera. And it's beginning to sort of emerge, which is exciting. So we go to game two and then it's like, oh god, okay, so it's going to be a two nil here but not to be Dylan Kleber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see a lot of the New Zealand earnings. I have to confess. I just saw the highlights, and they were in a huge amount of them. I think Will Young might have top scored with a grinding thirty or thirty two. But I did watch the entirety of the chase and New Zealand were on top of things. They looked good again in conditions that were pretty helpful. But someone who didn't have a great tournament with the sorry series with the bat, Mitch Hay certainly made up for it behind the stumps in that second game with six dismissals. So he's played two Internationals and he's now a world record holder, and a couple of those catches were pretty bloody good, including one where he dropped an edge up a spinner onto the stumps and regathered it before it hit the ground.
Speaker 1: Yes, drama, that was.
Speaker 3: A weird one.
Speaker 4: I actually got on such a nerd and I shouldn't confess this and you won't be that surprised, but when that happened, I was trying to work out whether a wicket keeper is allowed to sort of use the stumps as leverage from making a catch. Now, not saying that he did that, but obviously knocked the bails off and got a bit hectic.
Speaker 3: My understanding of the rules is that, yeah, you can.
Speaker 4: You can kind of use the use the glove to sort of wedge the and wedge the ball up against it. As long as it doesn't touch the ground, you're good to go. So yeah, bloody difficult thing to pull off. I think he had a couple of catches like that where he kind of juggled it and caught it at the second go and went into the huddle cackling away to himself.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, and you see a lot of poultry. One hundred and eight and then a bit of a contribution there from our good man Lucky Ferguson and Sri Lanka shot the bed.
Speaker 2: That hat trick. That hat trick was curious. The first one it looked like a squeeze initially like there wasn't a massive amount of excitement. Luckie Ferguson you he had had nicked it. But at first sight it looked like it was a full toss that the better squeezed into the ground, but it wasn't. It was actually a half folly, so.
Speaker 1: That was out.
Speaker 2: Then the next one was a pretty adjacent LBW coming around and look at to a left hander and I think it was the guy who scored all the runs in the Test series. The mindoumendous. And then the third one was just a rank awful delivery to our league side, which the guy got a feather on and Mitchell took a good catch something down the league side. But yeah, I love what Paul was written down here in the notes, which is just classic Lucky right. It reeks absolutely havoc and then follows it up with a torn hemy Yeah, or it might be calf this time, is it.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what. We our fast bowlers. It's just infuriating. Who's the other quirkie that was always apart from Jamison of course mil.
Speaker 2: Who they brought over, yes, to replace, And that's tempting fate of fever I've seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're going and heading into the one day is now and oh.
Speaker 2: Can I just say one more point on that second game? Yes, the set up from the Sri Lankan rabbit.
Speaker 1: Of the baseball, the Shara sensational.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen anything like that before?
Speaker 4: No, it was highly ineffective. It was terrible, but jezus looked magnificent, real MLB stuff, wasn't it. Yeah, there was a great piece of fielding too from Michael Bracelell in that game, diving over the rope.
Speaker 3: He's a fantastic.
Speaker 4: Field of bracelet caught the ball, scooped it back kind of under his body as he clattered onto the ground. Well beyond the the toblerone. And you know, when you look at the maths in the final equation, super super important. And yeah, Glenn Phillips, great job as the closer in that game. Three wickets and his over and yeah, the lucky Ferguson thing. I mean, I actually when I was watching that, I jotted down some notes about his first over, which which was the start of the hat trick, the last ball of that over, which was the eighth ball of that over.
Speaker 3: It was just a mannic over.
Speaker 4: There were beamers, there was there were appeals, there were side ages, there were it was just ridiculous. Betsman got caught off a no ball. It was just absolutely wild. And then he comes back, completes the hectoric and hobbles off Paul Bastard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know and as you said earlier, Paul Forward, you know, I'm pretty happy with one all given where we were. I'll take it in our record, yes, and our record in Sri Lanka and the fact that there were a lot of most of the team missing. So yeah, I'll give that a tech. I'll give that a six point five out of ten. Now the one day is coming up thirteenth of November, seventeenth of November and nineteenth November. I'm a little more interested in those as rung out with a hammy and lockeye out with a calf. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this looms is relatively important given that there's not a lot of one day cricket. I been here in the Champions Trophy, the Champions Trophy which is now looking a little imperiled. You do some geopolitical differences between the hosts and the most important cricket country in the world, But regardless, is.
Speaker 4: It just is it geopolitical? Is it just shit housery from India?
Speaker 2: India just refusing to go to Pakistan to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Sri Lanka, of course, just for the record, they don't give a shit about that because they didn't qualify for the Champions Trophy, because they came ninth in the World Cup, so they definitely don't care about the Champions Trophy.
Speaker 2: But we do, we do. And yeah, look it starts tonight in dan Buller before they go to Palakelly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I am quite interested in this. I'm interested in seeing how some of these guys go in a format where they've got a little bit more time to express themselves. I think it's probably Mitchey obviously needs some runs. Yes, Will Young. It's funny, we were almost talking about him like the senior better and the squad at the moment, but you know, he's probably a fringe player at best.
Speaker 1: So this is are you talking in terms of following on from here for the Cheaampions Trophy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So there's a lot of things that Will they need to sort out for the Champions Trophy, and this is this is the start.
Speaker 1: I sort of yeah, I sort of feel for Forward on the Well Young front. You know that he's kind of earned his place now and he deserves a bit of respect and a bit of support in terms of being kind of seen as a regular member of the side or am I being biased?
Speaker 4: I think you can be those two things. No, I think right, I think, Yeah, I feel like he's I agree. I think he's in that spot and he should be in the you know, ahead of the likes of Henry Nichols, barring what happens over the next few days. So Gladdy good. Good for him to be in there and under some pressure. Another guy to keep an eye on. Tim Robinson, who's sort of making noises about. You know, he's a contracted player, didn't do much in the t twenties. Is he then next Fanellen or is he not? We've mentioned Nathan Smith. Interesting, interesting to be watching him and he's tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, out of a targer, out of a targer. Yeah, because I was reading an article about him as a as a real prospect for the future. Got the most wickets in the first class last year, was that right? Yep, yep, I'm pretty nippy.
Speaker 2: When I played the season of county cricket. I think he might even be Omoru. Originally he might even be north Ochago. But yeah, I mean he's twenty six years old. Good age, good age, good age. Yet my only worry about Nathan Smith is just maybe a few kilometers short of what you need your start a bowling. He bowls, he's kind of a hit the deck hard guy. But I mean he's not tall like Jamison or Rourke. And yeah, I don't know you've seen more of them, Paul. But does he have that kind of one forty two to one forty five in him?
Speaker 4: I think he does, But does he have it consistently or so I think as your point, yeah, I'm not sure. And yeah, it's interesting there's a real trial in this series for that fourth Seema because you've got Duffy, who is maybe the incumbent with Sears out. Cougar Line's not in here, so you know, there's a bit of a duel here between a three way duel between Smith, Duffy and you know, arguably someone like Folks could come steaming through the middle if they decide to get a bit funky for this England Test series.
Speaker 3: But yeah, look, it's not it's not certain.
Speaker 4: The other thing that Jason, I think you'll agree is that it would be really good if Mark Chapman didn't drop any.
Speaker 2: Catches what is going on there?
Speaker 1: He Look, I think he's just got the YEPS man. It's just that classic because as we say, all that time ago where all the started for him, he's actually not a bad fieldsman. He moves nicely, yes, but I think it's just you know, it's like my passing at the moment. It's just all over the place. And I think he gets an anxiety attack when he sees the ball in the air coming towards him, you know what I mean, he has a full blown panic attack.
Speaker 2: I think that is I think there is some something merit in that. Actually, I do think that when you've spilled a few, and my word is spilled a few, you do get to a point where you're out in the field and you're.
Speaker 1: Actually hoping it doesn't come near, and the ball.
Speaker 2: Doesn't come near. You'd be quite heavy to station yourself at third man and field a few grounders that go down to third man. But you don't you do know what anything in the year coming your way, And I reckon Chapman's at that point that testy that catchy dropped in Mumbai. Ah Man, that is just.
Speaker 1: Awful, I know. But also but also you know that that probably is a stot. Put me down at third man, and then there's a massive top edge as soon as you move there, and you know, and it's isn't it funny? How when shit isn't going well for you in any form of the game, you know, but particularly fielding. The ball suddenly starts following you around everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's so hard to hide. It's so hard to hide.
Speaker 1: Yes, sure.
Speaker 4: The other thing about this series coming up is that it's obviously going to be a real spin friendly track. And we're talking about, you know, trialing, running this trial for the fourth sema, and I don't think we're going to get a lot of pictures that are going to be particularly conducive to pay some who we've got. We've got sat in Embrace, Will Phillips and Sodi and Jase. I think you've got the list of Shri Lankan spinners there.
Speaker 1: Look at them the center of the match person himself for those of you that can't see him. So do Paul, how would they look at? Do you know? Well a Lagi uh Commendo, Mendes, tariff Aslanka and do Himantha well done? So yeah, I don't know much about them, but let's assume they'll be pretty handy with the ball in hand.
Speaker 4: Well, the good news, Jason is that huss is not there because his little chubby hamstring didn't hold up during the t twenty, so he won't be there. And I'm pretty sure the last block you mentioned is the guy that came in from duchan Amantha, another legie. So going to be plenty of intrigue at the Sri Lankan Bowl increase.
Speaker 1: Hey, now, let's talk about this this upcoming Test series. And I've just read this here on the notes, all but a sellout across the three tests. How good? With the question asked, why is that? I just think Dylan clear with it that England is always England is always a very popular prospect for fans of cricket when they come to New Zealand. It doesn't surprise me at all that that's the case, particularly given of course we're on this high after India. People are just into it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: They bring a big traveling support with them. Yes, I mean the Barmai Army love coming to New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Two percent of the tickets have been sold off shore.
Speaker 1: Yeah good.
Speaker 2: And it also is the McCallum Stokes thing, Yes, that New Zealand connection. I think you know, there's seems to be these things go in cycles, right, and there's a real pushback on the whole baseball term now and and but you still can't deny that they play a brand of cricket that's pretty intoxicating and you want to be there to watch it. And it also is not that long ago and it's still quite fresh in our memories that Test from the Basin, the follow on Test, that New Zealand one, and it's just like, yeah, I want to be part of this. I mean, the only thing I have a little bit of concern about is Test in christ Stretch in November still can be a bit nippy down there that time of year. But apart from that, it's just yeah, get me there. Just want to be part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm absolutely proffing about it. Pul Ford, it's so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah I am as well, of course, but you know, as say, I'm back in full optimist mode.
Speaker 3: Of course I am.
Speaker 4: But I think the other thing is that the Black Cats have earned the right of, you know, just be selling out these three grounds. You know that what they did in India is extraordinary. I do think people will want to come out and salute that. There hasn't really been an opportunity to do that as they've gone straight on to Sri Lanka. And the other thing is for cricket nerds like us, But there's a massive hole in the calendar after this. I mean basically, you know, no cricket sort of no long form cricket tool is it next year? I think it's bloody ages. Wait and I think only next summer. It's only the West Indies as well, so you know there's a real gap. And of course, and for real nerds, they will be thinking about the maths of the World Test Championship and wanting to help New Zealand get up and potentially potentially qualify for that final next year at Lord's in June.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's just going to be an absolute cracker. I'll be glued to the TV, much to my wife's chagrin and.
Speaker 2: Real shame of it. As Paul mentioned there is Yeah, it's just so barren after this series. Yes, yeah, just make the most of this Test series, hold on to it, cuddle it, because after that, unless we make that final at Lord's in June, I think it is it's a long time before we're getting more five day cricket. Yeah, which, actually I mean it's just a noise the shit out.
Speaker 1: Yes, samee Man and t You're gonna have your tea too, and he's even your one days. Give me test cricket any day of the week, any day of the week. But I'll tell you what we're gonna do. I're gonna have a little break here and come back very shortly. Welcome back to this b YC podcast. So Pakistan beat Australia in Australia. I loved it. I loved it. Australia of course, winning the first one day, just just but the Australians really under the pump and not handling pace at all. Ralph was just next level.
Speaker 2: How good what a great cricketer is to watch because you watch them run up sometimes doesn't look like he knows what has run up is. He's got these funny little paces. He seems to take off from different spots. A couple of the deliveries he bowled, his front foot was only just ahead of the line where the stumps are at like no danger of him doing Muhammad Ama type nobles in that game, but just real pace, like fire. And there's nothing better than watching quick bowlers on top of the game in places like Perth. Yeah, I watched the entirety of that game, the decider in Perth in Pakistan just so much better than Australia. It was. It was actually quite weird watching it. It was and you they're under fire Australia, They're getting.
Speaker 1: It, and so they should be because asking themselves and you know, was it Australia alb first and foremost pull forward and just specifically on that final game, which was the deciding game, a very very under power Australian side. And was that a specific decision of Australian cricket to rest their key players for that match, because my assumption is that that was always what they were planning to do, but they would have thought that they would have been too nill ahead by then.
Speaker 4: I reckon that. I agree one hundred percent, Jase. I reckon that was absolutely the script. And then things went off piece in that second game, very nearly went off piece in the first and still have mentioned, but yes, Australia are always going to going to rest their red ball players from these games. Basically it was sort of an optional to play, so I think Cummens played the Pat Cummins played the first game. But yeah, look it was it felt like a mismatch. That's exactly right, and I love some of the headlines. You know, Pakistan punished disengaged Australia for their first series winning for twenty and twenty two years.
Speaker 3: I love that. Some sensational pace bowling. I mean you mentioned Harris Ralph.
Speaker 4: I mean the last time we saw him, I think he was getting in a punch up at the TEA twenty World Cup and then he's just ferocious. Shane Shah Fredi and Nasim Shah was sensational and I absolutely love I don't know if you saw this, but Cooper Connley, the great White Hope, this twenty one year old slogger, the surfy looking kid and the Pakistan fast body you've never heard of. Muhammad has Nae broke his hand so see you later. That probably him out for a few weeks. Absolutely fantastic from from Pakistan. Yeah, got a real sense of joy out of that. I did love seeing Pat Cummins get into trouble as his wife I assume kind of not against as will, but probably.
Speaker 3: Surprised him by banging that photo up on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Literally as the Australians were losing, which really does wind everyone up.
Speaker 3: But you know, you're just it was the decider.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right, I think they've stuffed up here and it's it just plays into that narrative that Pat Cummins and the Australians are out of touch with Heartland Australia.
Speaker 1: It's great to see, yeah, I And you used a word there in one of the headlines which I watch was the sort of impression that I got, which was disengaged and arrogant. And you know, but what the interesting thing, as it always is with Pakistan, is my god, they've got talent. Their pace attack, their pace attack is next level. And I was like, why are these guys so damn erratic? I mean, it must be infuriating for the coaches when you've got that kind of talent that they're so up and down. But it kind of turned around with that Test series against England, didn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: But the problem was is the problem is the test services they put them on in Pakistan. Yes, they get really worried about the opposition strengths. So the first Test, I can't remember if it was Raoul Pindi against England, it was an absolutely flat track and Shahin Sharaffredi got blitzed by basball, which you're not allowed to call it now. And so they lose. In Pakistan, there is no patience. They just lose patients straight away. So they've been him, they've been a Nasim Shah clearly is a really good player, gutsy player, but not those two were gone and instead they give them absolute bunts and burner tracks. They come back into that series through their spinners and win it. But then you go to a place like Australia which just suits them down to the ground and you realize how good they can be.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, that's that.
Speaker 2: Is their problem, I think is the patience of their selectors at home and actually giving these guys some decent services onto which to display their full pallid of skills. Because man, that that four prong pace attack the other day. Yeah, I barely even heard of that guy has name, but yes, I mean either he broke Connelly's hand, he was whizzing it over heads. He was he looked highly entertaining.
Speaker 4: And they had they bowl, they had they bowled this many have spin zero. Yeah, it's just the bull blitz And am I.
Speaker 1: Right in saying that. Jason Gillespie or is it Jason Gillespie he's the coach or he's the bowling coach.
Speaker 2: He's the coach at the moment, and Gary Kirston was the director of cricket. But Gary Kirston walked out when they suddenly stripped him and Gillespie of any selectorial powers. I think that's how it went. Yes, so yeah, and it's just off the field, it's just chaos and that will never change.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember Gillespie this week too, sorry about He actually came out in the aftermath of the series win and said, you know, the Australians were disengaged and what he means by he means the Australian public, he means the Australian players, and he stood the Cricket Australia's marketing. It was no promotion of this series that he saw. Every poster, every billboard, every social media post that he saw was for border Gavascar for the Australia Indian Cricket Series, which really pissed the Pakistani's off.
Speaker 3: And obviously how they played better.
Speaker 1: And it isn't fascinating because we were talking about, you know that maybe INDIAD you know, didn't have their eye on the ball when it came to playing us, so that they too were possibly guilty of looking ahead to that tour of Australia. Australia are guilty of the same thing, and as a result of that, both sides in this huge upcoming series now look like idiots because they've been given a hiding by the teams that they've played previous to the series.
Speaker 2: Isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love it. I love it. Don't get me wrong, man.
Speaker 2: We're reveler Lions fighting back against the Dark Empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah good.
Speaker 4: We need to factor this into our scheduling. We need to look at when all of the headline big dog series are and just sneak in there and play them just before they guess, before they get there, because I feel like we did this to England ahead of the Ashes as well. We just sort of snuck in there with a slightly ramshekel team and gave them a touch up just before the Ashes in England last time around.
Speaker 1: Two, you know. Having said that, actually I'm looking forward to that series in the Australia. Oh just as a side note here, feel as I discovered on Sky which I've been enjoying quite a lot actually the sort of domestic Australian cricket, you know, and I've been watching the Indie, RA, Australia or A tests. Yeah, that's you know, for cricket fans, it's quite nice to sort of stumble upon that quality of cricket pretty good.
Speaker 2: Well again, that's been quite controversial in Australia because of those India AA, Australia A essentially became a bat off for the one remaining opening spot, yes in the Australian team to partner Usman Kwaja and they ended up giving it to the guy who doesn't open South of South Australian middle order player Nathan McSweeney.
Speaker 1: And he was a skipper, wasn't he. Oh yeah, was he the skipper?
Speaker 2: He did skipper And yeah, you got people. I think it's a former Australian payer whose name just as Casey at the moment just come out and said they're just guessing. It's just complete guesswork. They've got no idea what they're doing. Oh. I was Joe Burns, the former Queensland opener who I think he scored big runs against New Zealand and McCallum's last series as skipper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll tell you one of the things, genuinely as a cricket lover that I am looking forward to us seeing how jazz well goes over there for Australia, because he's great to watch and he he, he just gives it a bash, all right. Our own domestic game, the Plunket Shield CD versus Otago and Napier Otago two O three Max two eighty five Randall four for twenty one and three for two CD three fifty nine for nine d Kleaver one fifty one night out Muller three for fifty two.
Speaker 2: Well, actually they said vace a little bit since then Otago at the time of reading, and now one O six for eight in their second inning is crashing towards a heavy defeat against the mighty CD. But the curious thing about that being three for two overnight last night was the fact they sent two night watchmen out to the crease. Because the first night watchman, who I think was Travis Muller, did they have the curious incident of being caught on the boundary, which is.
Speaker 1: Not really as a night watchman, that's not your job to have a tonk are your boys pull forward? I don't know if you got down to watch any of this. Wellington versus Auckland, Auckland won eighty four, Bevan Jacobs seventy five, Logan Van beat five for fifty three and one seventy one for six. Will o'donald fifty two not out Wellington two to seventy, Van beat one oh one. Peter old Wife, I feel like that's some sort of set up there, and Jordan seventy five and Jordan Sussex four for fifty.
Speaker 3: Paul did see it out in the window.
Speaker 4: Regendravendra, Devin Conway and Tom Blundell all playing in that game, along with Finn Allen. And yeah, that's advanced a little bit as well. Auckland actually managed to rustle up three hundred and seventeen. So I've done the quick math. It looks like Wellington need about two hundred and thirty to win that one. They're currently started like an absolute sack of shit. They're one for one and both Batsman at the crease zero not out with Retch and Revenger and next Devin Conways and so yeah, look out, it could be quite quite a thriller. I might have to check my annual leave balance for this afternoon.
Speaker 2: So that's there was a nice little double of seventy seventy five and seventy nine from I think it's Bevan John Jacobs, who's an interesting cricketer himself.
Speaker 4: So that's right, and it's been pretty that game though. We should give Logan van Bekers shout out betting. I think at number eight scored one hundred and a five wicket bag. Pretty sensational from him to resurrect that first innings of Wellington.
Speaker 1: Hey, just there's a very quick sideline here, fin allen.
Speaker 2: Ah, Now, let me tell you about his little innings opening the batting and the I think he failed in the first deck, open the batting and the second deck. He might even be skipper. Yeah, Paul might have to go to the interweb while I'm relating this little tale.
Speaker 3: But solely I think is the skipper.
Speaker 2: Solely is the skipper, right, So he was opening with Solier and he scored forty nine in the second ins. I'm pretty sure that forty nine was made up of ten fours and one six. Wow, that's correct, And he went out having a wild swipe across the line.
Speaker 1: That was good. Good Canterbury versus Indiant Hagley Canterbury three sixty one for nine Chad Bows one oh seven, Matt Boyle fifty nine, Christian Clark four for eighty three in D two ninety one for eight, San Deep, Patawel fifty six and bred Hampton fifty. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Indy actually managed to get their way up to five point fifty two for nine declared, so they did really well. I'm guessing that must mean that Wags scored some runs. But what a start to the season for Chad Bows. He scored that record setting double ton in the four Trophy, scored a ton in the first round of the Plunket Shield, so yeah, all power to him. He kind of feels like a name that's was very briefly in New Zealand Lights but as all disappeared out of it. But perhaps there will be the second coming of Chad Bows made.
Speaker 3: Them thirty three and twenty six in that match.
Speaker 1: Right, great stuff. Now I will take another short break here. When we come back, it'll be Dylan Cleavers. Who am I? Welcome back to the BYC And now it's time for Dylan Cleavers. Who am I? It's Dylan Cleavers, who am I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, last week we had several correct answers. I thought I made the clues particularly cryptic, but people recognize that it was in fact, Craig Spearman. A couple of good little bits of correspondence actually from Matt Parker wrote, Hey guys, I believe the answer is Craig Spearman. I moved to London to work in banking around the same time as his. As him, I grew up as a wisty, although not quite as big as whisty as where he went to school. I think he were to Kelston Boys. I always thought that Craig Spearman was in my commercial law tutorial once at Auckland Union nineteen ninety three. Had heard of him listen to the shell trophy, just looked it up and he went to Massy. So now that whole story is ruined all the best man.
Speaker 1: Sorry about that.
Speaker 2: And Peter Douglas wrote, Craig Mary Spearman, tough clues. I just think about these things a lot. I understand, Peter, so do I. I seem to record he had three hundred plus for Gloucestershire, which broke the county record held by a reasonable player named W. G. Grace. Mind blowing stuff for any black Cat fan left pulling their hair out at his lovely but inconsequential twenties and thirties in the late nineties. Keep up the great work. That is correct.
Speaker 1: He was such an exasperating player, wasn't he? Man? And he's right lovely twenties and thirties. Ah, he had so much talent, Craig Spearman.
Speaker 2: He looked like he could see your past.
Speaker 4: Yes, destructive, absolutely destructive batsman on his day. That three hundred and forty one that he got for Gloucestershire unbelievable. He's an absolute legend in there at that county, isn't he. And the other thing about him quite a sort of quite a sad story. Actually, he was a compulsive gambler and has been a real front man for that. I think we might have talked about that that before, but yeah, quite quite sad. And he genuinely talks about, you know, the time that he can pinpoint when it moved from being recreational gambling to problem gambling.
Speaker 3: And then Black Captain stopped over.
Speaker 4: I think it was in Ken's on the way to a tour in India or Pakistan or off to the sub continent, and he lost an absolute ship ton of money, won it all back, but realized realized that he had had a real problem and yeah that kind of he had this. I think it was his wife got really sick, and yeah there was also there's all sorts of really difficult stuff that he's had to encounter. So yeah, quite an interesting character for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, Dylan hit us mate.
Speaker 2: All Right, this one's a bit of a sad one, ag but here we go.
Speaker 1: Who am I?
Speaker 2: I made my first class debut while still at school, with a small curiosity being that it wasn't even one of the right schools inverted commas that dominated the christ Church cricket scene. I was a man of notable firsts, including scoring my one and only first class century in less than an hour against Otago. Think about that, a century in fifty three minutes. And that same game I also dismissed the yappy little wicket keeper for a golden deck and later in the match for two. I'm not surprised Ted Henry rose to prominence in the Winter Game instead. Another first was being banned for a Test for a relatively arcane transgression. But my most notable moment in another first came in I dismissed Phil Sharp LBW for forty eight at the Oval. Though if I gave you any more details, i'd be giving the game away. I was known as the workingman's hero for the way I played the game, and that was more to do with my mighty six hitting than anything else. But fast, occasionally hostile bowling was my raison datre. Unfortunately, life was not kind to me once I left the sport. Couple of failed marriages it was one thing, failed attempts as a public in another, but worst of all was a family tragedy that haunted me until my final morbidly obese breath. Who am I? Hmm, well, you just gave the universe. It was signal of an eyebrow raise, which in the case that I think you know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite a great another quite slightly grim story. DC, it's a good good clothes, very good clothes, I thought.
Speaker 1: Very good. With that in mind, let's have Paul Ford's news or Ruse.
Speaker 3: Jace. You're going to be bloody excited about the fact.
Speaker 4: There's a new five team T twenty tournament called the Global Super League launching in Guyana in late November, featuring teams from five different countries, sanctioned by the by Cricket West Indies and fully supported by the state government. Was the National Government Guyana anyway, and prize money US a million dollars. It's going to feature the Amazon Warriors and a team from Cricket Victoria, the lahau Wilanders, Hampshire Cricket Club and Rangper Riders from Bangladesh and none other than Cory Anderson will be captaining the Cricket Victoria team number two.
Speaker 3: The White Fans opening.
Speaker 4: Game of the summer against Australia at the Basin Reserve will be gold coin entry as New Zealand Cricket looks to keep up the momentum behind the newly crowned icc T twenty World champions Legends. The first ODII of the Rose Bowl Series is on Thursday December the nineteenth, of course, another piece of grim news and New Zealand haven't won that for twenty five years. New Zealand Cricket said the White Fans are a team. The New Zealand public are really embracing at present and we're determined to make the most of it. They've seen large crowns, crowds of excited fans turning up and down the country during the trophy tour and they need the supporters they get into this Crunch series against the dirty, filthy, cheating Australians.
Speaker 3: And number three West Indies fastball Alzari Joseph has been suspended for two matches by Cricket West Indy's over a very public disagreement with captain Shy Hope of a field placements during an ODII against England this week, which the West Indies won. Ironically, Joseph and Hope engaged in a lengthy argument for Joseph's over and he had to be urged by the umpires to resume play after a ball was played away on the off side During the over.
Speaker 4: Joseph remonstrated with Hope. When the over ended, he just simply walked off the field.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. Cricket West Indies said.
Speaker 4: In a statement that his conduct fell short of their standards of professionalism. Joseph, to be fair, also apologized and said, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: My passion got the best of me.
Speaker 1: I think it's you'll tend to go first.
Speaker 2: Actually, d C had a lot of luck of this lately.
Speaker 1: No, you mean I've been giving luck.
Speaker 3: It's not about luck.
Speaker 2: So that Western he's one is dead right. I watched that. That was hilarious, that that was insane. I don't know anything about that Global Super League. It just sounds bizarre. Why did they pick those five teams to go and play in Guyana. But I'm going to go with the White Fans because I believe that it's not even a gold coin entry. I just believe it's just free. That's what I was marketed as. Anyway, in the email, I go from New Zealand Cricket free entry.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go for the first option because it sounds like a hideous disgrace of a tournament, and I'm going to say the prize money is incorrect.
Speaker 4: Like the rage and the fury in your belly chase. But Dylan Clever's going to take this one home. That is exactly right.
Speaker 3: As free entry to the White Fans game at you, I'd be.
Speaker 1: Back, knew whatever, whatever, All right now, I believe now, Dylan Cleaver, you're going to give us a book review of the twenty twenty four New Zealand Cricket Almanac.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wone work on a podcast so well. But I'm holding it up now so my fellow pundits and panelists can see the cover. It is. I've remiss of this not to do it earlier actually, because it's always a it's always a great day for me when the book drops through into my letterbox from the publishers.
Speaker 4: Do you get it for free or do you pay fifty five dollars like the riff Raft.
Speaker 2: I must I get it for free?
Speaker 3: No, wonder you look to it, bugger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's always immaculately presented. This time Retch and Revenger is on the cover after he's scored his double ton against South Africa. I think that's fair enough.
Speaker 1: Can I just ask you a question. I'm just I'm just watching you holding that book, Dylan, and I can see it's like I used to be when I was a little kid with brand new stationery. I can see the glee and the joy. Do you get quite excited when do you handle new books? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I smell them, Yes, good. I don't know what I expect them to smell like, but I'm always.
Speaker 1: Pleased newly printed.
Speaker 2: Newly printed smell. And just a couple of points of interest in it. As the players of the year were ritching Revendra and Kane Williamson, which I don't think you can argue about. They both had incredible seasons, but the promising players Zach Folks, Will O'Rourke and Gareth Severin, and I think they've already probably been proved pretty accurate. Accurate on folks in willow'rourke, it might take Gareth Severin a little bit longer to make that step up. But there was one other thing that like Francis Payne and Ian Smith who compile this just legends in their field. And I didn't realize this, This is this little factoid, yes, escaped me. But with those wins in India, with Tim Sowdy playing two tests that one, he is now the most successful test cricketer in New Zealand history. Wow, did you realize that? No, he now has.
Speaker 4: I didn't know either that. That's a bloody good record to have, isn't it. I've won Imagine going to the pub and going I've won more Test matches for New Zealand than anyone else in the history of the game.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's good, that's a good record.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. So he went past Ross Taylor. He is now forty six. Ross Taylor as forty four. Cain Williamson, who lester remind you did not play in any of the three tests and is stuck on forty three, but I suspect that he will eventually pass both Sauvi and Taylor.
Speaker 1: How long does Cain go for?
Speaker 2: Two more years? Reckon?
Speaker 1: Two more?
Speaker 2: Maybe three? I think he might do the next Wiltis Championship cycle and that might be it for him. I don't know, I've got no that's just speculations.
Speaker 1: He's really struggled with injury. He seems to be under the gun a lot these days.
Speaker 4: I reckon, I reckon it could be the end of this England series?
Speaker 2: Do you reckon? I reckon it could be for Suvi. I honestly think this summer might be Soudy's last, But well it might. The choice might not be his, to be fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that's a grim thought, Yeah, isn't it? Pull forwards? Cricket violence corners, cricket violence corner gun.
Speaker 4: A man's been assaulted in an apparent road rage incident in high Wickham Valley. Police have launch an appeal for witnesses following the assault. When two men got out of a dark colored carn Air traffic lights on doors Hill Lane. They proceeded to use homophobic language towards the victim, A man in his forties before assaulting him with a cricket bat. The victims suffered injuries which required hospital treatment, but he's since been discharged. Officers are appealing for witnesses and footage to the incident. The maker's name of the bat was unable to be seen in security footage. I know because I locked. The driver of the car is described vaguely as thus mixed heritage, in his early thirties and around six feet tall. That would cover about seventy percent of the people in that area.
Speaker 3: I'd suggest, how.
Speaker 2: Am they know his mixed heritage for what has mixed me? He could be just heritage. What they're saying is he's not classically Anglo Saxon, aren't they.
Speaker 1: That's what they're saying. Hey, you know to your correspondence, this is from Jack, and he writes, hey, guys, love your work may need some deeper analysis here, but I'd like to draw attention to a wider member of the black Caps team that seems to have an interesting knack for winning. Mike Sandor, the current team manager. He joined the black Caps at the start of the twenty eleven twenty twelve summer and finished up early twenty twenty two quite clearly the meat and bones of our golden era. In twenty twenty two, right when the black Caps performances started to dip, he took up a CEO position at Taranaki Rugby, this being the region he grew up in. During the two years he was in this position, the Taranaki Bulls won the provisional title in twenty twenty three and had a very good win record in twenty twenty four, might I add, finishing with the great Ranfordy Shield. He then joins the black Caps again in twenty twenty five for right before the greatest Test series in New Zealand cricket history. Coincidence or is there something a bit more at foot here? Whatever it is, I hope his presence brings plenty more victories in the future.
Speaker 2: Dylan Cleaver, Yeah, there's a bit of a spell check or what is it, what's it called autocorrect issue? There? It was the provincial title rather than the provisional title. But ah right, Yeah. As a keen man of the Taraniki as well, I have followed Mike Sanders progress very closely and there is something quite freaky actually about that. I wonder what they had to do to convince him to come back.
Speaker 4: I yeah, he does seem like a bit of a lucky charm, but I think that massively sort of undervalues his contribution. I think the role that he's come back to, as I understand it without getting into sort of page seven of the job description, but I think it's much more focused on that broader performance of the of the team, and so looking after the crew that managed the performance of the team, rather than just the sort of logistics and where the suitcases are going and the admin and how many people want bacon with their eggs and all of that kind of stuff and all the cricket diplomacy. I think it's a yet very much kind of in the thick of the action with the team, which is fantastic in terms of that question though DC.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've got absolutely no idea.
Speaker 4: But it does seem a curious move to sort of come out and say, yep, really great, can't wait to go home? Be great to get rid of all of the travel and all of that kind of stuff. He did go in there. It coincided with that Silver Lake money being handed down, and I do wonder whether some of the shenanigans that have created a lot of headlines and a lot of anks and rugby circles. He maybe just was there for the taking for New Zealand cricket and bloody good on them forgetting them, I'd.
Speaker 1: Say, great Steven, terms of your correspondence, pulled forward, What do they need to do?
Speaker 4: Flick as an email to b YC at Beije Brigade dot code on end ed will slide into the DMS of the alternative commentary collective All the Beige Brigade on Instagram or Facebook. Keep it to a sort of one hundred words or thereabouts, just to so we can screenshot it into our WhatsApp chat and bring it up to up to the mixer each week.
Speaker 1: Great stuff. Hey well thanks for taking the time to listen to this podcast telling your mates about it. Why don't you and we will be back of course, same time, same place next week. Till then, see you later.