Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from news Talks EDB debating all the issues and more. It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on news Talk.
Speaker 2: Said B.
Speaker 3: Had a very good afternoon to you. Welcome to the show. Great you company. This is the Weekend Collective for Saturday, the twenty second February. Text your feedback anytime at nine two nine two and you can you can email as well if you like. If you're not in a hurry, tim be at Newstalk, SAIDB dot com in Z after four o'clock, of course, it'll be O eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the way to get in touch. Coming up on today's show in just a moment. My panelists as always esteemed. I'll be introducing them in a tick after four o'clock. We have a new guest for the one roof radio show. It's else A Wolf and she is a real estate investor and coach at Wolf Property, talking about renovating and how you avoid actually spending too much money on your renovations, but how to improve return and how bad does the property to be before you should renovate it and spend a bit of money on it. To make a bit of money and after five o'clock the Parents Squad another new guest. It's new guest on today Layla Mason, doctor Layla Mason, who's she's a pediatrician and author of Children's Health.
Speaker 2: Eight is Z and we're talking about why is.
Speaker 3: This generation more anxious than previous ones, but also what are the biggest issues in children's health today? And before six, of course we'll be wrapping sport previewing, well not previewing because it'll kick off I think at five o'clock Auckland FC and Wellington Phoenix Alex Smith ill be joining us for that and also Fiji Endurer against the Hurricanes will be underway at ter for four point thirty five, so we'll be having a look at probably the last few minutes of that and telling us how it went.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Weekend Collective. It is eight past.
Speaker 1: Three, insightful, entertaining and always on points. Tim Beveridge on the Weekend Collective News talks'.
Speaker 2: B yes, right into it.
Speaker 3: Look and it's time for our panel and in no particular order. The age before beauty is slightly not as obvious as it is for other panels, so the best way to put it, it is definitely if we were on TV right now, you'd be like, look at those silver foxes, and the word is distinguished, I think is the word. And we have distinguished professor of well these all sorts of things really, but it's Paul Spoonley, get.
Speaker 2: It, Paul, Hen you go, Jim, I'm good, good, good good. Remind us what you were distinguished at such a leading question, isn't it?
Speaker 4: The boys call me the undistinguished. It's a reflection of your international standing.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of which I'm going to apply the same description to my next guest. He's no stranger to people who follow media, and he's been a wonderful journalist and current affairs journalist and among other things, as well as a digger driver. And we went into how he started life. But he was very busy man doing all sorts of things. It's Mark Kreisel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I prefer to think of myself as extinguished. Well, I'm triving. Can I just point out that I was a pupil of Paul's back in nineteen eighty? Is that your way eighteen of resulting eighty? Is that your way of resolving the age?
Speaker 5: I could have been an adult student, couldn't I And he could have been a student tutor.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was way back in China.
Speaker 6: See child genius.
Speaker 5: Yeah you but yeah, absolutely brilliant New Zealand.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great cupe to have them. What were you studying? No idea that sociology? Sociology? Okay, well that's a relief that he could Yeah. There, you've done your job.
Speaker 3: He'd spent some time in your tutelage, and he does know the subject, yes, literally just what the subject was.
Speaker 6: I might not ask any fair the questions.
Speaker 2: No, yes, I don't have any letters after my name anyway.
Speaker 3: Hey, by now, look it's worth mentioning. Not that sounds like such a trivial way to mention it, but of course today is actually it's probably I actually know how long I've known you, Mark, because I met you on the twenty second of February, which was when the christ Church earthquake was going off, wasn't it? And six point three magnitude earthquake. It's fourteen years ago, one hundred and eighty five lives. We know what the destruction was. It was a horrendous event, and I mean there's still we're doing some rebuilding.
Speaker 2: Although christ Church has got some really.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's some great things about what they've done with the rebuild, but gosh, it's don't fix these things over night.
Speaker 2: I think it's that thing.
Speaker 5: As journalists, you parachute into places when these big things happen, and you hit it really hard. I did the a lot when I was euro correspondent for TVNZ. You go to places where a disaster is happening. Then you'd leave, but you don't realize for the people are left behind. There is years and years and years of rebuilding. And it's not just rebuilding buildings, it's rebuilding people, communities and communities and all those sorts of things that come along. And I remember going back to christ Church over the years and oh my god, they went through a lot. And don't forget they also went through years and years and years of aftershocks. So straight away in your mind you're thinking, oh my god, where are the people I love? You know, are they safe? Am I going to be safe? So that's jolt, you know, literally being jolted back in. But I was talking to someone this morning at my daughter's cricket game and he'd just been down to christ Church at a convention. He said, the convention hall down there is just beautiful. He said, there's a royal spirit of the rebuild that they're creating a beautiful city center with the stadium coming up and people come.
Speaker 3: Up, the court, theaters taking shape as well, and the and the taka the stadium.
Speaker 2: Is it one of those events you remember where you were when it happened?
Speaker 4: Paul, Absolutely, we were in Wellington. It was a beautiful dan Wellington and these stories started to come through and we had people from christ Church in Wellington and it was surreal. It's a bit like you know when the white Waheni sank and some you're too young, you're too young to but when the Waheni sank and the weather's beautiful, what's happening? And I mean, I just feel for christ Church. I mean what we've got to acknowledge is what Marx talked about. But of course twenty nineteen, I mean it didn't end really taken the hits.
Speaker 2: And that was another one. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes, So let's let's remember all of those people who've worked so hard to rebuild and those who were injured and hurt and.
Speaker 2: Care one.
Speaker 3: Well, of course there's another part of the world which is really feeling like this that I'm not sure if they feel it. Hope is dwelling, but they're under the They're in a troublesome spot, given that it seems that the support of the USA seems to be evaporating, with stants that Trump has taken towards Ukraine. I'll hold my fire on this one and throw it over you to Paul. What's your reaction to the way things have gone with the US and Ukraine and Trump.
Speaker 4: I think it's extraordinary. The economist has said that it's head spinning, and I think it's a reordering of what's happening in terms of international relations. I just cannot believe it. So the Ukraine has been portrayed. I use that word deliberately. I think Putin is being rehabilitated. And if you think back to some of the events in the Cold War, and you think we wouldn't have stood aside and let what's happening in Czechoslovak or wherever taking place and not respond, So I think it's a huge geopolitical shift. I worry about the morality. I worry about the moral compass of the people that are involved, and I worry what's going to happen to the world.
Speaker 2: As a result enablement. I guess Mark's what's your response to the last week you're saying especially, I mean Trump callings is the lenscap dictator and he started the war. I mean he's senile, isn't he.
Speaker 5: It's just well, no, I you know, he just he talks a lot, and I don't know if he understands what is if his words, how much impact his words have. I think it's a very very dangerous time in the world at the moment. He's an emboldened putin, who is essentially, if you're talking about a dictator and someone who hasn't had a free and fair election to get into that role, there's one right sitting right in front of you. But I think it's going to embold in other countries. I'm thinking about what's happening in the Tasman at the moment, with China having those quite aggressive military or naval maneuvers, you know, one hundred and fifty two kilometers off the coast of Sydney, and I think they're just everybody's just feeling we can do whatever we want. I heard Trump describe the other day as a transactional president. So if he thinks he can get make some money out of rekindling relations with Russia and maybe of sidelining Ukraine, then that's what he thinks.
Speaker 2: That's what he's going to do.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I think one of the most appalling headlines I saw was the memo that had been presented to Zelensky by the States where this was initially I think reported by the Telegraph that the reparations they're seeking repayment for the American contribution, and the stats were that it's they want half of their minerals forever of the Ukraine. It's like Putin and Russia have been the proxy for America to go on and screw everything they can out of the Ukraine. And to put it in context, the article on the Telegraph said that as a percentage of GDP, what Trump was seeking out of Ukraine was more onerous than the Treaty of Versailles was after World.
Speaker 2: War One on World War one Germany and we all know what happened after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, that what it is is, it's the punching down. It's like, it seems to me that Trump is treating Ukraine like an understressed seller in the real estate market. Here's someone who's got some weakness, and I'm going to screw them. I can't think of someone I can view with more contempt than Donald Trump, and he is absolutely when I watched him do that present his speaking points or something about how Zelensky shouldn't have started the war.
Speaker 2: At how he's a dictator.
Speaker 3: He doesn't he wants to accede to the no NATO membership for Ukraine, the withdrawal of US soldiers from Europe, and I just sort of thought it was like, I have a pro Putin talkback caller on Oh, I know, you get a few and it was like he and Trump we have had had dinner together before that, before that press release, absolutely parroting.
Speaker 2: He is so much Putin's poodle. But it's not funny. It's very strong.
Speaker 5: That propaganda is very strong, and it's skillfully distributed, and a lot of people fall for it. Basically, But this is I think this is a really frightening time. I think a lot of people have lost faith in democracy and this has given rise to leaders like Trump who are disruptors, who feel like they come outside the box. You've got Europe's all over the place, in terms of leadership, there's no strong person who is standing up there and saying, you know, they're trying to get it all together, but they're all swimming around. There's no real opposition in America to Trump. The Democrats all over the place. The Republicans are proven.
Speaker 3: What is it cash Pattel and RFK Junior and Pete heck sith none of those senators. I think they've all been castrated at some cause. They've certainly got the guys have got no balls? Have they pardoned me?
Speaker 4: But let's be honest, Tim, can I go back because it's an interesting suggestion that Trump is being played by Putin.
Speaker 2: Well, it gives the impression of it.
Speaker 4: Is, doesn't he I mean, you know, Putin leads a renegade state, and here he is, he's being rehabilitated by what Trump is doing. Trump is effectively dealing with Russia as an equal and ruling out others.
Speaker 6: And it's that.
Speaker 4: That's a reordering of what's happened, what's happened internationally.
Speaker 5: Let's not forget this is how he behaved towards Putin in his first term as well. There's always been the rumors that Russia have got something over him, and there was a suggestion, yeah, let's not go there, but that may or may not be true. But there is something about him and Putin that turns him into a puppet. And the Russians have always had a great term for people that they've used like this through the KGB and everything like that, and that's useful idiots, useful, useful idiots, and that's I'm sorry for all the Trump supporters out there, but I think that's exactly what we're seeing playing out at the moment.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'll tell you the one this put Let's put a positive, positive spin on this. I don't mean a positive span.
Speaker 3: Let's find these silver lining in the cloud of Trump's rhetoric and you know, and the rhetoric that's been presented to the EU and to Europe at some I mean it is a wake up call for the EU and European countries because they haven't got there.
Speaker 2: They're act sorted out. When it comes to the military.
Speaker 3: They're going to have to upscale quickly. Then again, I mean, whether Russia is as big as a threat. I mean, look how long they've been at war and they still haven't managed to They've conquered twenty percent of Ukrainian territory. It's not like they're armed forces are ready to go like the Third Reich. So what do you reckon for?
Speaker 4: Well, you see, I don't think European the European politics is going in the right direction. And if you look at the domestic politics. I've just come back from two and a half months in Europe, mostly in Sweden, Swedish politics, German politics, you know, Polish, Hungarian politics. They're all riven by tribal and very nationalistic and populist politics. So if you're thinking that Europe is somehow going to come together and be as a cohesive voice, I think you're dreaming.
Speaker 2: I really do know.
Speaker 3: I we probably need to hope that enough of the significant countries there can come together.
Speaker 5: Germany, Germany has got an economic elections and elections.
Speaker 2: There is no Angela.
Speaker 5: Merkel type character who was therefore, and Schultz wasn't that guy. But also I think in a way they've all got they've all got m MP governments, and so they have to cobble together coalitions that don't always agree with each other, and they're all over the you know, they can be all the same. You could say the same thing that's happening here at the moment. You know that quite often the tail ends up wagging the dog, and if it's an extreme right party, they're used to being aggressive and saying things that that may be unpalatable. But taking people, you think.
Speaker 3: MMP enables slightly more extreme points of view because no one's really trying to capture that middle ground.
Speaker 2: And I don't think anything it gets done like you used to. That's an interesting one. Mark Kreisl advocates for getting rid of m MP. You never said that.
Speaker 5: I think people are losing faith in institutions and democracy, yes, and I think that was exacerbated during COVID, But I just don't think it's working in terms of giving people what they need and what they want.
Speaker 4: And post COVID, we've seen a number of patterns. Win is, existing political parties lose elections. Number two, the trust and politicians and political systems has gone down big time and it's not clear what's going to restore that trust. And Third, your information systems, your information systems would feed into understanding and political debate are now struggling.
Speaker 2: Trust me, I'm a journalist actually actually well, and it does.
Speaker 3: Seem like awkward like sort of perfect timing that the Chinese are flexing their muscle by by basically flexing their biceps off the coast of Australia.
Speaker 4: But do you think that's coincidental? No, No, I think that's.
Speaker 2: Not a thing. Yeah, I seeah being ironic.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, And I think they're filling a vacuum. They've seen an opportunity to be the leading world par Yeah. We're not going to trust Trump in America at the moment, are we?
Speaker 2: No? Oh, no, you couldn't. Unfortunately you can't.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know what it means for Orcus but as well, because you know, he can have whatever packs you have. But his rhetoric just seems to ping around from whatever, you know, whether he's had a bad cheeseburger or.
Speaker 2: Not, depending on what he says. But anyway, do you think we.
Speaker 3: Should be spending more on our military because it seems like half our navy is Navy is underwater off the coast of Samoa.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel like we're low blow.
Speaker 3: Seriously, seriously, does it feel to you like we have anything significant to our armed forces that we can brag about, apart from the wonderful quality of our soldiers.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I backed that up.
Speaker 5: I've been in East Team or when our soldiers turned up, and it's one of the proudest I've been as in New Zealand. They represent us, they look like us, and they bring values that you know, in terms of like from the bottom up.
Speaker 2: They work with local people really well. I think they're great.
Speaker 5: I think we do have to pay our way a lot more. We don't, we know, piggyback on the back of the Aussies and the Americans or whatever. But that's a hard ask now because we've got a health system that's failing. We've got you know, people are losing their jobs all over the place. We've got you know, an aging population. We've got so many big problems that are asking for more money. Do you wish and it's billions. I do wish Helen had actually bought those F sixteens.
Speaker 3: To be honest, you, yeah, I like the idea that we might have in when we see a fishing vessel that's off, we don't just send a sort of dingy over there and go, but boy back you go. You have an F sixteen go over top in the marke think, oh, maybe we shouldn't leave anyway.
Speaker 4: I'm an aging piece neck. I would argue that our part of the world, the Pacific, is going to become a much more contentious and troubled place, and you can see it with the Cooks, and I agree. We need to invest more in our safety and our protection as well as a commitment to international alliances. You do have to be careful who you get into bed with, though, absolutely well, but we may we maintained a reasonably independent stance since the effectively the seventies and the eighties, and unless that's going to change significantly, let's make sure that our interests Gosha.
Speaker 3: Month's a long time in politics, isn't it? Weak a day Larichy And hopefully four years will pass quickly. Yeah, well, we're going to have a little bit more politics to come, but slightly more localized. And whether we're going to talk about well, Wayne Brown's promising to stand for count for mayor again, but we'll discuss that in just a moment. This is the panel of the Weekend Collective. It's twenty five past straight, a whole lot of love lead Zippe and I'm going through a very retro phase with my listening habits. So my producer tire as she is appeasing some of my requests on the music front. Anyway, welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the panel news talk said be Mark Kreisel and Paul Spoonley are my guest. Just a little bit more on the politics. Wayne Brown standing for reelection. He's asking rat Walkland rate payers to back him finishing the job. I would say that, well, there was a question right when the Desley was standing. But I don't think Dessley Simpson's going to I think that website was simply because she was thinking he might stop, not stand. Well, he'll win by a landslide, whon't he?
Speaker 2: Boys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good on them for restanding.
Speaker 6: But we need a contest.
Speaker 4: We need somebody who's going to go up again, some test ideas, test loyalties, test support. If it's going to be a one horse race, that's not good for Auckland. And remember a third of New Zealand as a residents of Auckland.
Speaker 2: We've got to get.
Speaker 3: The politics in the city right, Mark, you'll be giving me away giving him to It's only one tech, there's no party politics, it's just Wayne.
Speaker 5: We'll wait and see who else turns up. I'm not casting him a vote now, and you know I wouldn't tell you I voted.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's interesting, is that.
Speaker 5: I mean, God, he had a terrible start in the role and he's kind of grown. There's a grudging dislike for him now.
Speaker 3: He's not to get the council sort of working together, hasn't he seems to.
Speaker 6: Have I mean a grudging respect or wedging.
Speaker 5: Kind of like the way he stands up against you never know what he's going to say, and I kind of he doesn't respect any authority anywhere. So in a way he's become quite a strong champion for Auckland. I mean, in the beginning he was giving Boomers a bad name. Let's be honest here.
Speaker 2: You know, his behavior was was was terrible.
Speaker 5: He was he wasn't there at the big events, you know, with the flooding and the cyclone, and if you look around the country there were amazing mayores and small communities who really stood up for the communities. He seemed to think or it was all about him and how how comfortable he was and everything like that. He's a bit of an odd fish, but in a way he's given Auckland a bit of a personality and and and I like Paul would really like to see someone strong, standing up standing against him, but it's not looking likely.
Speaker 3: I reckon if he moved to Wellington and said he was going to stand for the maryalty down there, they'd vote for him there too. They're pretty drunk Tor Torry Faro, of course, I mean, but he does seem to.
Speaker 2: He does seem to. Yeah, I think he would.
Speaker 3: I think he would, Hoseen, he text me on nineteen nine, by the way.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: Look, I think he's got that sort of same thing as he's not a classic politician, and I think people are a little bit sick of slick sort of although he's been a mayor up North as well, but I think he fits into that mold at the moment, which is a little bit grumpy, a little bit cantankerous, someone who's not a classic politics.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Actually here's the word.
Speaker 3: I think that that you've that you've sort of encircled neatly, whether or not you like him, you feel you know him because he is He's unequivalently Wayne Brown. He's authentic. What you see is what you get. And I think that there's you wouldn't ever bear with him though, would you know?
Speaker 2: What would you? Of course I would. I think it'd be hilarious, like absolutely, what would be because you're mad? Uncle?
Speaker 3: I think he's Look, he's an interesting person outy, but I think it's too easy to sort of just say he's a bit mad and all that sort of thing when you know that.
Speaker 2: I think he's good. The impression is.
Speaker 3: That he's getting a few things done at least, and I love the fact that he goes. He went up near where Victoria Street were in the road Cone Central, and he just wandered around talking to the camera game see what is this here for? They've got this lane and it's the biggest car park in Auckland and they're making it into one lane's And he was just simply saying, this is ridiculous. And I was watching the video going, I know what you mean, and I'm with you. I don't know what you know. We've got to see some legislation around Auckland transport and everything, Paul, I don't.
Speaker 6: Well, it's an interesting question.
Speaker 4: You two obviously have different views on this, but political relatable, it's a is a real issue and the key question we always ask is would you have a beer with them? And we're asking that in terms of national politicians, Yes, And I don't know what the answer would be for Aucklander's I mean Tim would say years, but I just don't know.
Speaker 3: I have a beer, look, I'd sit down an interested in I would have it, sit down and have a beer with it.
Speaker 2: With Looey Swarbrick as well, I think.
Speaker 3: Interesting, quite relatable to Yeah, even though I think kind of every own and again I makes my head spin, But I think my first pick for sitting down for a for a beer and a file mignon would be Winston Peters and whiskey.
Speaker 2: I think, I just like.
Speaker 5: It'll be a late start in an early finish.
Speaker 2: Which politician would you?
Speaker 5: So, I was just thinking that I've had a bit to do with politicians throughout my career. There are very few I would have a beer with, I think, but I really like David Shearer.
Speaker 2: He was he's gone, liked him a lot.
Speaker 5: And I'll tell you who is actually in real life a really good, interesting guy, And you'd have to sit down and have a beer with them, as honey, how do we okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just don't let don't don't don't bring the cameras.
Speaker 4: What about you, Bill, I'm still thinking to him, I'm still thinking.
Speaker 3: You'll have I reckon, You've got a name that instantly came to mind, but you're busy vetting it going.
Speaker 2: It's just a right, Is that right?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not, Actually i'm not. I'm normally quite open about these things. But it's a really interesting question. So who would I have a beer with?
Speaker 3: I think there's I like the Racontours. So you know, anyone who's who's got a sense of humor, bit of wet.
Speaker 2: They out of a beer with. Is a really good guy Don McKinnon.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's out of the picture these days. It has to be a current parliamentary save it till next time. We got to move on.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, so what about Quilla the song, or the or the drink? Now?
Speaker 3: Look, hey, wannach is making a big effort to be in the news. The days they've had the kids indulging in mass punch ups on New Year's Eve, they've been rending their garments over the possibility of having McDonald's.
Speaker 2: But now it seems they.
Speaker 3: Don't also want poor people and middle class people and wanakare getting medical attention. That story about fees as high as a thousand bucks urgent after our medical care. There was somebody called up for that. I need a fifteen minute consultation. They're told to be five hundred bucks. I can't get my head around this. Whether there's something missing in the story, but apparently the starting rate to walk in the doors two hundred.
Speaker 2: And eighty or something.
Speaker 4: I can I add some context here because I'm you want to command well, no, no, but I'm speaking of Wonica next week. So I've actually done some work around it. What's interesting about Queenstown Lakes outside the major centers is our major growth area, and everything is under strain. So I coming out of coming out of Queenstown the other day, it took over an hour on the traffic really took yeah, yeah, because of that road. There's only that road that goes out to the airport, and it's everything is understrained down there, and so the growth has gone. Population grows gone way ahead of the provision of facilities and services, so they're having to backfill. And I think that's one of the major problems. I mean, I think there are other things going on there, but let's let me put that one there.
Speaker 2: This is kind of surge pricing as we.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's and it's a the demand has grown, but they haven't supplied the infrastructure and services for it. You wouldn't you wouldn't want to have a heart attack in Wanica or anywhere.
Speaker 2: Actually, there's a good there's a good slogan.
Speaker 3: Wana don't have a heart attack here.
Speaker 2: And that's sort of it's a bit of a sort of a nice conflict.
Speaker 4: And the good people in Wanica. That was not me that said that.
Speaker 3: Come and carget, and come and target and Wana give yourself a heart attack in Wantaka.
Speaker 2: We're that exciting. I just don't expect any help when you do.
Speaker 5: But before COVID and everything and and like, this is also a major destination for international visitors. This is this is New Zealand that appears on the on the biscuit tins. You know that people want to see, so everybody wants to go there. But before COVID, I remember this was an issue all over New Zealand.
Speaker 2: We had so many foreign visitors coming in that we.
Speaker 5: Just hadn't kept up with the infrastructure. And probably the area of infrastructure that struggling the most of the moment is health.
Speaker 2: You just can't get doctors to go to places. And it was bad in Wanica.
Speaker 5: It's really bad in Dargaville, and it's you know, other parts of the Far North and things like.
Speaker 4: That, the West Coast South trying to get a GP or a junior doctor in the hospital.
Speaker 3: While you guys have been talking about that, I've been I've been thinking about slogans because I was thinking, well, of course we had listen to us and everyone must go for no.
Speaker 2: I just love it, you know. I think that.
Speaker 3: Give yourself a heart attack in Wonica. I think is a great and we're that exciting. It's better than better than the New Zealand one. Everyone must everyone must go. And I mean I don't really care about it that much.
Speaker 2: You're never going to compete with where the bloody hell are you?
Speaker 4: But didn't they realize the number of people leaving the country. Here's an advertisement for more to go.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm going to I'm going to keep workshopping the Wanaka slogan because I think we're into it with the adventure tourism, come and kill yourselfrom Monica and the skydiving. Sorry that was the wrong way to put that. That was the wrong way to put that. You know what I mean, Hey, just actually tell you what we need to take a break. It's twenty two minutes to four. This is News Talks.
Speaker 2: He'd be.
Speaker 3: Yes, Welcome back to the weekn and Collective. This is the panel, Paul Spoonley and Mark Kraisler. I guess I'm Tim Beverage. Now we've covered some Auckland news, We've covered some Wellington news, but just in terms of maybe Wan Brown could we've covered Wonica and now we're into christ and this interesting plan.
Speaker 2: This one.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if you guys have noticed illegal but dumping in your neighborhood. We don't get too much of it where I live, but there's a city council in christ Church wants christ Church residents to be allowed to dispose of other people's illegally dumped rubbish for free. There is a catch here, I think in his plan, but it's Aaron Kewan. He reckons that people would pick up rubbish and take it to the tip if they saw it illegally dumped in their neighborhood, but they only if it was free. I think the weakness is that everyone's going to turn up and say.
Speaker 6: Rubbish it mine?
Speaker 2: Is that a problem?
Speaker 3: You probably live somewhere really Poshmark Chryst. I'd imagine you don't have much dump rubbish unless it's I do.
Speaker 5: I was out of the dump the other day actually, and oh my god, it's expensive. It cost me, like I don't know, forty fifty bucks to dump, you know, take a ute load out to the dump.
Speaker 3: Really Actually, I just go to a refuse station where they do you actually go all the way out to the actual tip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you like to sort of get there smell the filth.
Speaker 5: It's definitely a smell of my childhood. We used to leave with more than we took. Yeah, my dad was a shocker.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh my godness, let's go home, you know.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I could do something with this, and they thrown that.
Speaker 2: It was a great Kiwi think the old dumps. It reminds me of that Quick from Black add It. It's like or the Life of Brian.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, Dennis, there's some real filth down here.
Speaker 2: Do you well, do you an illegal dumper?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not thank you to him, but I do think I do think rubbish generally illegal dumping of rubbish has become quite an issue, and you notice it around in some of our river ways and parks, and I just you know, you get to a car park, you're going for a walk in this whole lot of rubbish there. But but but why are you expecting other people to pick this up and take it to the day even if.
Speaker 6: It's for free.
Speaker 4: Surely there are so many cameras around in so many ways of identifying who can do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's the cure.
Speaker 3: Maybe you because I mean his plan it sounds great, But if you turned up with rubbish and sidah, this was dumped on the curb. I mean, how many people are going to do that to save themselves forty or fifty bucks or something. But it's maybe maybe it needs to be The fines for illegal dumping need to be Singapore frightening because you know most public offenses in Singapore. You drop it, you drop a cigarette, it's six hundred bucks. I think, second defense. I think it's like fifteen hundred third defense prison, Yeah, penalty, third time. Okay, And did you notice there was a council. There's several councils that if you put in the incorrect rubbish in the bin three times you lose the bin. Councils generally are beginning to.
Speaker 4: Tighten up, and I think it's partly a cost cutting exercise. Yeah, it was also probably on the other side, people are just finding it expensive the me and you found.
Speaker 2: It in mind, if you lose your bin, then what do you do?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Illegal, illegal, it's a.
Speaker 2: Problem, that's yeah.
Speaker 5: I just wish the person whose dog takes a dump right outside our front door three times.
Speaker 2: A week picks it up. Really, someone doing that on your property?
Speaker 5: No, well we live very close to it, like we're about a meter from the path to our door. But yeah, people walking dogs around there. And this is we live in a in a pretty good part of Auckland, and so I just think, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: A personal plea from Mark Kraft. So if you're out there, list.
Speaker 5: The People's Republic of Saint Mary's Bay, Okay, sort of like the cousin of Herne Bay.
Speaker 2: Isn't it the cheapest house and the second most worst house, best streets? Always a good plan.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, I have a personal interest in this in a way, not because I've been approached to by the new.
Speaker 2: James Bond, but it is pretty big news.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that's meant that the James Bond franchises sort of stay true to its origins is that it's always been in the hands creatively speaking of either Cubby or his he's the late Kubly Broccoli or his wife Barbara, and Simon G.
Speaker 2: Wilson.
Speaker 3: I think I don't give us the first name, right, I said Simon Wilson. I suddenly threw myself there.
Speaker 2: Michael Wilson. Michael was Michael Wilson.
Speaker 3: And they've given control creative control of the James Bond franchise to Amazon MGM, which I don't really have a big problem with because they killed him off on the last one, so I mean it's hardly like they didn't really look after him. In the end of that, you can say, Tim, it's changed. I mean, it hasn't stayed true to its original thing because it's moved all over the place.
Speaker 2: It was quite camp there for.
Speaker 5: A while with Roger Moore and Roger Moore and you know, and and then Daniel Craig kind of sharpened it up.
Speaker 2: I thought he was a really great Bond. I mean the dangerous that, you know, what they've done with Marvel or something.
Speaker 3: When they exploit the franchise that they dilute it and then it just loses its excitement.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a Sean Connery fan. All the Bonds after that were just a week No. But it's going to be interesting to see because is the inclination for these guys to then remake it. I'm a great Jack Reacher person, but in terms of who they cast as Jack Reacher, honestly.
Speaker 3: Oh well, the casting decision to cruise. The casting decision is absolutely crucial.
Speaker 4: And crucial, and didn't the Broccolis insist upon a British actor even though there was an Irish and Australia.
Speaker 3: They went with George Lazenby. But I mean there was a guy. He was the worst advice from his agent ever. He did one movie and his agent said, don't stick around this. This franchise isn't going anywhere. Australian nit where model George Lasenbee. Funnily enough, he fronted a He fronted the Music of James Bond concert in Australia and shared too many pretty much outrageous exploits that offended the audience.
Speaker 2: Wasn't Sam Neil once seriously considered.
Speaker 3: I think so, I mean the number of people whose names have been considered for it. I think all the James Bonds have generally been right for their generation. We look back Roger More. People were looking for a bit of a change from the Sean Connery things, so they went to the Roger Moore thing, who had a lighter touch. And then I mean it's the Timothy Dalton and then Brosnan's first movie. I thought he was outstanding.
Speaker 5: He was good, he was good, he was didn't the Aussies, didn't the English say about George Lazenby, It was Bond, Bruce Bond.
Speaker 3: Actually it's worth actually well actually I would say this because I produced concerts with around the Bond stuff. By the way, if you're in Hamilton Hamilton Arts next Saturday with the Symphony.
Speaker 4: Orchestra, it'll be great.
Speaker 3: But where would these films be? You can look at Star Wars, you can look at Bond. I mean look at the music of the Bond films every year that goes from back from Billie Eilish, most recently Shirley bas Where would the and where would that film Serah be without that iconic music as well? Everyone now, I mean.
Speaker 2: Don't they always worth waiting for?
Speaker 5: And the thing is, like these other ones, they took their time bringing them to you know, bringing them to life, and now they haven't even got an actual bond so they don't even have a movie, so how far away?
Speaker 4: And the other thing, sorry Mark, but the other thing that strikes me is that the early Bonds were really a product of the Cold War. And perhaps perhaps you know what we started this conversation.
Speaker 3: With, by the way, I mean, it's worth mentioning. I don't think we'll be ever seeing that. The outrageous names of the Bond women that we saw in the past past. Why do we have Xenia on the top, pussy Galore? And my favorite was what was that first one? Oh, she was Honey Rider was the first one. Pussy Galore and James and Goldfinger, and then there was Xenia on a top. And there was one who wasn't very well known that I quite thought was a cute one was betrue Me. She was a Chinese assassin. Anyway, we will be back in just a moment.
Speaker 2: It's ten two four news talks. He'd be but don't go.
Speaker 4: He will part him Yah, but his life can disguise.
Speaker 1: What you.
Speaker 6: Knows when he's kissed her.
Speaker 1: It's the kiss sun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love a bit of Shirley Bassie.
Speaker 3: Hey, we thought we'd I thought we'd finished whether Really I love this the last story we're going to talk about, and it's to me it's the best of you know what makes kiwi's kiwi's. And I've seen the video of this. So there was a man who had a seizure while driving on an Auckland motorway I think was the Northwestern Motorway and you just see this car just start to drift off the lane. There's another car's got the camera running and this guy gets out and he jumps, he runs along. He's signaling to the car slow down. He runs and jumps in the side window to apply the handbreak because the driver of the car is having a heart attack. Then you see three trade's in their orange vests or something following as well. And I just love the fact that somebody saw something wrong. Did you see the video of this image? Go to the New Zealand Hill website. It's amazing, isn't.
Speaker 2: It's heart warming?
Speaker 6: Isn't it?
Speaker 4: It really is people act and emergencies they act to help others. They made a decision really quickly and it was a good outcome.
Speaker 5: And let's all be thankful. It was during the Awkland rush hour because everything was moving as.
Speaker 2: Slow walk.
Speaker 3: Because it does sound quite flashess like I got out on the motorway and I chased the car down.
Speaker 5: It's like he's actually briskly walking if you see it. And the other interesting thing is that the guys that ran in their in their in their vests afterwards were his workmates. He'd been working during the day as an host and they are on the truck going home and he'd driven past, you know, might have given them a bit of a raz or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I just look, actually, because it took some initiative.
Speaker 3: You're in a busy motorway and he got out, and the guy who was driving the car, you know, was I think it was an unexpected obviously an unexpected medical event.
Speaker 2: But I was just thinking, how brave, how you know It's one thing to go something's wrong there, to being.
Speaker 3: I'm the one I'm going to act and get out of my car and prevent potentially a tragedy. And let's be honest, most people would just say, what's this iffing idiot doing you know, in the driving would have been angry. He could have been a road rage incident, all those sorts of things. It's it's really amazing to see.
Speaker 2: The other amazing thing is how many people have dashboard cams. Oh yeah, by the way, and why we should give a shout out to the guy? Did? His name is Jeff Benjamin? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think you know what a great key we and I think it's not. I think every now and again we just need some of these lovely, heartwarming stories to.
Speaker 2: Not every now and then every day to we need Yeah, well.
Speaker 3: I underplayed it, Deny. I meant all the time. We need more of it, don't we spread the love? We need more of the guys like the silver foxes in the studio. Yes, it is because there's a little bit of silver, but you have fox.
Speaker 2: Hey. There might be snow on the roof, mate, but there's a fire down below.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I think that means it's whole time home time.
Speaker 2: I must to have a coup teen to lie down. Anyway, we will be back with one roof radio show.
Speaker 3: New guest in this Yuaro Elsewelf joins us to discuss Renovano.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news talks It'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio