Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sad B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take another pat Now it's hetrick.
Speaker 1: It is out.
Speaker 3: The test is over.
Speaker 2: Goodness smoke, Oh wows a beauty.
Speaker 3: It is out and hearing guys, this delivery has in the users.
Speaker 2: Be Bold.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello, welcome to on the front Board. An early flight home for the black def the outcome no cricket team benches from Toilnament place. But after a first up loss to Afghanistan where busy at home was going to be cupped, yep, the chances were there. They bogged upperly for eighteen OBErs and one man, Chapaine Rutherford, changed the innings momentum there He's saved off the last two overs, fifty eight off the last five and the black Caps didn't have a background prep to reach the target. Well, it's out for the black Caps. Where to from here? Joining me and Jerious one New Zealand coach Warren Lees. And while there are two pretty disastrous results of an international tournament of it.
Speaker 4: It's a dreadful, dreadful thought.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: The build up to go to this World Cup, in particular because it's where it's being played, was huge, really, with the expectation of the cricketing public in New Zealand was you know, we're looking for something to look at. We want to see our black Caps playing, we want to see them playing well. And already the early departure from the tournament is disastrous really, and I'm sure the dressing room won't be a happy one. The faces will be long, will be drawn, and they'll be worried looks all around. I should imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there'll be chance to regain some pride. I suppose in the remaining two games. Jeremy, we've talked about these two games so far. I guess we don't mind and probably can accept not making the Super eighth situation. But to be a bit more competitive would have made it at least something that we could basically accept to some degree, wasn't it. They just didn't seem prepared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems as though the whole tournament was. They haven't had easy pictures any you know, there haven't been big scores, have there? Right throughout the whole tournament really, but certainly you know, going to Providence and New Zealand had a tricky draw, you know, playing the two toughest opponents first on surfaces that didn't suit them really, and then before they play the two weaker sides. Therefore, it just makes sense you had to be readies from the first ball of the tournament. For them, it just seemed to me they weren't. And you know, they had to really win that Afghan game to push on in the tournament and proceed. But you know, we know that they didn't start well, and so yeah, that's where we are, and we could have won yesterday. But look, classic example, if you've already mentioned one man making the difference, yeah, you might question perhaps the New Zealand tactics as well. With the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because for the first eighteen overs the Steamers did a good job no spin until lake will Phillip's Boldenova. But Stanner got the hospital pass didn't the last over, and anything can happen in that situation. But one hundred and twelve to nine, you should be able to control the game from there. Surely, why are you be expecting that, wouldn't you?
Speaker 4: Well, I should imagine that the look on the faces of the players would show it all. They were shocked in the last three or four overs. They were living in shock, really and desperate just to get off the place. I can't fathom any other reason, any reason all for Satna to be to be left so long. It was sort of like throwing him some kind of hand grenade at the end. Really, And to have a player like Rutherford who was so much in control at that stage and he had his emotional state was fired up, wasn't it. You could see that it was just going downhill the whole time. That the New Zealand team didn't plan or change plans perhaps halfway through that innings, and we lost a wee bit of control and lost our composure, and really that that cost us that that whole game.
Speaker 3: Really good center of bolt earlier Jerry, because he is our best spinner in terms of international player, isn't he Well, certainly he.
Speaker 2: Could have bowled earlier by leaving him till that late the twentieth over. If someone points out, I mean, everybody goes for it, then don't they look what Satner did to Shepherd and their last when New Zealand we're batting, so you know, you can't leave Santner and not bowl him if you're going to select him. He's our best, most experienced, organized and equality spinner. He gets left handers out. He's got a bowl from the right end, so he's got at least one side, usually the leg side that's you know, longer. And it was. But I mean he bowled the eleventh over and went for nine, gets Hussein out, who's a left hander anyway, and now two right handers are coming in, Russell and Shephard. You know, I just didn't I couldn't follow that. I don't know whether Williamson was scared off because Phillips went for something like eleven or twelve of his over, who was bold before Santna because the left handers were there. Look, I don't think you can spend all your medium and medium fast resources up and do it that way. So sometimes it works, let's be fair about that. They just needed the last wicket. It didn't work, and it really the game move for as you say, a winning game one hundred and twelve to nine. So suddenly they're over par and the West Indies look that they can't believe it and suddenly above par, and their mood and the side they're dugout has changed entirely.
Speaker 3: Is our batting confident enough now to chase down those targets? I mean, normally you would expect to be able to chase targets around about one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty.
Speaker 4: I not.
Speaker 3: It's different in the Caribbean because the pitchers are different. They're slower and lower and changeable. But the batting needs to be a lot more consistent. They've got to settle on the top five batsmen rather than changing them around Wally, don't they.
Speaker 4: I don't think they've got any idea who their top five batsmen are. I think we can go back to the lack of preparation before the tournament, or the fact that we've lost those two games, the fact that the pictures aren't, you know what, conducive to to what we're used to and some of the cricket we play. But I really don't think they've got a settled team at all. And I think they're actually searching for for the Rutherford in our team, I mean the western Denver Utherford. I think we're looking for someone to be our savior. And I know when Phillips went out to Bed. I thought, well, well, perhaps this is his day or the niche and type innings. But you can't go on into these World Cup things without being reasonably settled about your top your top team. You can change the way you plan things and that may that may change, and you may need two spinners or you may you may change your actual plan over the whole game. But now I'm just disappointed that we're just searching. We're living in hope and as the next player comes out, we hope that it's going to be his day, whereas we should be looking back and saying, yeah, Williamson's getting back into neck and he's playing normal cricket shots, and he's hitting the ball straight and he's not trying to run the ball into first slip's hands all the time on a pitch that's very variable. So those things I just wonder where where they're all on the same wavelengths when they talk about the plans for the game.
Speaker 2: Wadd's you know, look, look a lot of our players just look out of touch, don't they. I mean they Conway has had no innings, no cricket. His keeping was a bit tidier and the second second match, but you know not his batting, they're not. It was a tricky pitch. It was more down than up, I thought. But Williamson uncharacteristic, really falling away, you know, trying to give himself a bit of room to play the shot yesterday, and we really need him to be I mean, the West Indies at ten sixes and eight fours, right and you steal and got eight sixes and seven fours. We're only sixteen runs behind them. A player like Williamson and Ravendra and that, who are more timers of the ball, they should knock the ball around if they can. Well they found they couldn't yesterday because they were out too quickly. We needed someone to be able to be the glue and between the Phillips that while he's talking about and the Misham that while he's talking about. Around those players, if you get singles and twos, you know we are better than the West Indies at that. They are block sloggers. They block the ball or they hit big and we got done by the bigging guy at the end yesterday. So you know, I thought our batting, you know, we just lacked play. And you both of you guys have been to the West Indies. You cannot rely on practice pictures over there to be good enough to sustain and get yourself into good nick They're awful practice pitchers generally in the West Indies, and so they were left high and dry. It's not as if they didn't know this beforehand. Something should have been done. They've known this for months leading into this tournament. They allowed guys to go to the IPI and collect their cash. That's fine, then they send them home for a few days with the families. Now, I'm not sure that this is a tricky one, isn't it when you start talking about that. But maybe they needed something then. I don't know, but surely when the review comes out, maybe they could have done some things differently. I think that's going to come out of it. Surely.
Speaker 3: Yes, I smell a review very much because it needs to be done and they've got to talk about things like do we need separate coaches. That was a question that was posed to me recently, separate coaches for the short form and the test match. We don't play a lot of best match cricket now, so why not have separate coaches? Coach Wally does that what the game needs? Now?
Speaker 4: Well? There will come a time where when Gary Stead has had enough or where he needs a refresher. And I'm sure with the assistant coaches and the different people they use these days, there are a lot of ideas. I wonder sometimes and stale is not a very good word to use, but the relationship between coach and captain sometimes varies a little bit, and I think perhaps with kin Williamson being out of touch not playing a lot of crickets, you wonder about the team meetings, of the hierarchy of the side, and you really do need sometimes someone to be able to say I'm going to take not the innings by the scruff of the neck. I don't mean go out there and bash it around, but I mean someone has to take some responsibility. Mitchell was that sort of player two years ago, very very much so. He was reliable, he would dig in, he would fight, you could see it in his face when he batted. And yet now he's more like the rest of the players are taking it ball by ball, as if there's no real thought about the pitch we're playing on, the bowlers, the field placings, all those things. You can sometimes tell when you look at the players and you think and a really one hundred percent into into a programmed plan, and I just think we're missing out on it. We're all going to come up with the same excuse that all the pictures were no good and we didn't get the practice. It's the same for everyone. No one at the World Cup is picking on the black Caps. No one in the organization has picked on the black Caps to make it difficult. It's the same for every team, and therefore we have to toughen up and go back to some of the basics.
Speaker 3: The thing is that both you and Wally, say, Jerry, are things that need to be a part of a review. In this World Cup, we've seen England improve their run rate by bowling Oman out for forty seven and chasing them down in three point one over. It's the face of T twenty crickets changing in this kind of environment where runs and big hitting are overtaken by slow pitchers and spin bowlers dominating and the games being evened up. Do you see any correlation between that and the way the game's playing? And Jerry say, you put that up against ipl because there's been no big scoring in this World Cup? Really has there?
Speaker 2: No? It just underlines the fact, the conditions and the size of grounds particularly make all the difference. And these surfaces batsmen, you know, batsmen worth thriving at the IPL, weren't they with scores pretty near to sort of too eighty and things like that was becoming relatively regular here. However, you know on pictures that are not as easy, are up and down a bit, are turning a bit, are holding a bit, are drying up and drying out. So yeah, I think batsmen have to react. Isn't that the whole game? Doesn't Williamson keep saying that all the time. Isn't his most favorite word. Adapt So you know New Zealand aren't adapting. They are just being beaten at the moment. So look, yes a review has to happen. And New Zealand now I've got maybe have they got two tricky games coming up? I don't know. I mean, if the pictures the same, surely they'll have to lower their sights a bit, won't they to what's a reasonable score to get on that surface? And have to work out how they're going to get there. I don't think, you know, I don't think it's a given thing any longer.
Speaker 4: I think short the shortest version of the game and we could get down to a super over is the shortest version of the way we end up some of these games. Makes it more of a lottery. And therefore, when you think back, the best team normally wins a test series and the stronger team normally wins a fifty over competition, and we get down to T twenty and it means that some of the teams that possibly aren't the strongest can come through because you're given the opportunity to one player as in rather Fit in the West Indies taking the game away. And it is possible that some of the lesser teams, lesser experience, lesser in success, can come through and win some of these games. And we accept that be very careful of is that we can all the players can fall into the trap of saying it doesn't matter if I get out, someone else will come along. Because we've just seen in the last two games it hasn't happened. And we can't allow ourselves to keep losing these wickets in the in the in the first ten overs, because as what happened with the West Indies, they had a hitter in the last four overs and we didn't have We had people who could hit, but they weren't. You were never going to call them people who could win the game with the bats. And we've just kind of, as I said before, we've really got to tough en up and go back to a few basics of the game, and we work out that the best batsmen score the most runs in the last five overs of a T twenty game. And if you've got batters there who can go out and actually play the normal game, it means that your plan it can be a lot stronger. We just lose our way, and there's no strong You couldn't name a really strong player right now in the Black Caps and say he will be reliable and he won't let us that we could not. And I know they haven't played a lot of cricket, but the the body language, the facial expression, the way they go about talking to the other batsman in between overs is you can It demonstrates a sort of a questionable sort of air that I think we just need, as I say, we just need someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Speaker 3: The top teams have their side set or basically don't think they have an eleven. Basically Australia even England, and they make adjustments according to the pitch. One of the spare parts might come in if they need an extra past bowler or another spinner. We don't seem to have that. Our side is too changeable, Jerry.
Speaker 2: Well, three changes was quite a lot. And it's more than a quarter is it a quarter of the side, So yeah, it is quite especially after only one game. It is a changeable kind of side. They're not quite sure, and they haven't played enough to sort of develop that. That's not an excuse, so I'm not trying to make an excuse for them. They should have played a bit more somehow and and done something or you know, to do nothing was pretty weak, I think, and it's been costly for the New Zealanders. They'll be disappointed, of course they will. But while he's kind of right in the way we say going back and everyone sort of sort of inwardly groans awe. But when you when you say that, where is their toughness? Come on, boys, get some steel in you. Well, it's kind of it is a wee bit. It's all a bit of froth and not much sort of stuff under theerneath to hold it all up. And it does look a bit like that too.
Speaker 3: I lost by thirteen runs. The post match presser is never enjoyable, and Kane Williamson, I'm sure has faced many issues where he's had to try and explain. One of them from the game against the Western was the work of his seemers in the first eighty eight overs they had them one hundred and twelve for nine.
Speaker 5: You sort of told us the numbers the area, which probably suggested that our seamers were doing a good job, and I thought they were.
Speaker 6: They did do a fantastic job.
Speaker 5: The margins in the match are fine, you know, and conditions like that two or three balls that when the matchup suits can be the difference.
Speaker 6: And we saw a fantastic knock from.
Speaker 5: Rutherford and he certainly timed it beautifully and got his matchup and I think at the end of the day that was that was the difference.
Speaker 3: The two games to play for some pride after missing the Super h Will it be the end of some careers?
Speaker 5: No, I think there's still guys that we'll be here for some time. I think if we look at, you know, the two matches to start off, no doubt they've being disappointing.
Speaker 6: You come to a world event, you want.
Speaker 5: To start well and you know, to be honest, we we needed to have been better in these conditions specifically, and we know that it's going to be a real scrap and it's not going to be easy. But if you win some small moments matchups go your way, then that can be a defining element to your whole tournament.
Speaker 6: Really, and.
Speaker 5: It hasn't happened for us, which is frustrating, but no doubt, you know, after tournaments like this you revisit what it is that you do and how you do it in the conditions that you've experienced, and look at ways to get better.
Speaker 3: There certainly room to do that, but frustrating for you having put them in, they weren't able to push through for the full twenty overs.
Speaker 6: From ninety for seven.
Speaker 5: Whatever the West Indies were to get to one point fifty was a fantastic effort and incredibly smart and calculated batting from Rutherford to put a contribution like that up on that surface was was world class and really got them a strong total on that wicket. Having said that, you know, it's it's half a match and we know that we need to do some some tough work and that second innings and try and get an over to that. You know, you can try and break the game open, and you know we weren't able to do that. When you it would be tough, and I thought the guys fought hard. But in the West and these know these conditions well and and they're playing good crickets and unfortunately, like I said, it wasn't today. Yeah, frustrating absolutely to start the way we have. The conditions are the same for everybody, so it's trying to learn. We've got a game again quite quickly, and so we need to get better for the experience. We need to put out improved performances and gain that knowledge.
Speaker 6: But like you mentioned, the equations looking tough.
Speaker 2: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: As I mentioned on the front foot last week, the White Fans are heading to the United Kingdom for a series of games against England. That's going to be pretty tough as it is against one of the strongest sides in the world. Craig McMillan has been added to the coaching set up, former batting coach for the black Caps. He's going along with whoever else has been added to the women's coaching lineup. Ben Sawyer has a squad that he will look after. I've got a letter from somebody, a listener, Jay says the White Friend's team to a Lauren Down selected after being absent for one year with no play, Surely she should have needed some cricket to play, even at domestic level. In normal circumstances, a male wouldn't step back and immediately into a New Zealand side, although if you're a top quality player that would happen. And I think Lauren Down is a pretty good domestic player, somebody with a good technique. She's taken time off to have a baby and now she wants to come back and play cricket. I don't know whether you've seen much of her play Wally.
Speaker 4: She's a very good player. In fact, she had she had fashioned a very very good record, hadn't played enough probably for New Zealand, for the White Ferns, and coming back into the team. I think there's a yeah. I think there's a rebuild. I think the reliance on our top three players over the last by four or five years is coming back to haunt us a little bit, and we're trying to get I think some experience back into the team. I think it is a very important tour. We've we've certainly slipped down the international ladder. We've disappointed on so many occasions after promising so much, and and and the interest in women's sport, and in particular in women's cricket in this case, has been huge and I think it's a very it's a very good thing that people are starting to follow the game. I have no problem with Lauren down coming back in the selectors, the coaches, the senior players would have recommended her inclusion and the team. I think it's fine.
Speaker 3: And Craig McMillan coming into the patching set up, I believe it's a positive move because he had a job with the men's team. One of the comments that j mabe was that he been given the job and he had no involvement in female crickets. So will struggle, Well, you took the women's team, Is it a struggle?
Speaker 4: I would hope not.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I do remember and quite fondly my brief time with the White Ferns and going to the World Cup in Bangladesh. I enjoyed it. I found it a challenge for start off. I absolutely loved the enthusiasm and the encouraging signs that the girls showed. In my time with both Otaga and the White Ferns. I look back on playing and coaching men and coaching the women, and I can honestly say that possibly some of the most enjoyable days I had were with the women's team. They were grateful, they were supportive, they gave it one hundred percent. That they had never been treated fairly in the past, and I hope they are now, and encouragement was something they wanted. It's an interesting sort of thing, and to say it this way may not sound wonderful, but they just needed a shoulder. They needed someone to encourage them, to put an arm on their shoulder and say, hey, I support you one hundred percent and I'm going to do everything for the team I can. And I think that's the way it is now. I think Craig mcgonrmal fit perfectly into that role.
Speaker 3: Ever a job coaching the women's team.
Speaker 2: I've never sought anything like that. Wadds, as you know, and whether it's males or females, but I yeah, I can't see any obvious reason that Craig McMillan can't help the women play. I mean, he's had a long period of coaching the men, hasn't he And he's also been in the media, so it's not as if he hasn't been around the women's side. I don't see any reason if he's got something to offer it. I think as a player as while he's really just said, if you're a player, you're wanting to have information that someone can give you to improve your game. I think that's the basis of any relationship and the concept of a coach. So I see no reason why he can't if he gets on with the team and they get on with him, that this should be any reason he can't help them in some way.
Speaker 3: Yep, that'd be one of the interesting things to watch because he has got enthusiasm, has and he's got energy. We know he gets in and gives heart and soul. So he wishing well in trying to redevelop the women's game because it needs a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Believe me.
Speaker 3: The other comment we've had Paul has sent us a comment on a simple issue. I've got to say I'm with him. He said, I love the show. Thanks very much. It's nice of you to say a budbear of mine, not really Black Caps related, is why is there a super over for a tie in a group stage game. Surely if it's a draw, it's best if points are shared. It's particularly ridiculous that a team could pumel another one for say two hundred and fifty runs and twenty overs. Then it could rain and both teams would get a point and all those things would be shared. I wonder why they have a super over. It's all for television, isn't it. I mean, a tie or a draw is a result, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I would certainly think so. I would. I know when the super over was first introduced, and even the players didn't really understand at the end of it. At the end of a contiues that was going to be a super over. What are the rules? You know? The new things came into the game, but the super over for a start off when it first introduced was very exciting, so the people, especially those on the ground who had paid to come in, and it was part of the entertainment, the overall package of the day. I think it's probably lost a wee bit now, And I do agree with your sort of sentiments in a way, and that I should should two teams slug it out for three or four hours or even longer and then have to come down and bowl a super over to find out that one team was going to get two points and the other team no points, having had a draw in the actual game itself, or in a no result like a penalty.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that anymore. It's just like a shootout with soccer, isn't it. With football? You go through that just it's really in order to find a winner, isn't it. And they want to have a winner, and that's pretty paramount, particularly in tournaments sometime times when you've got to then in order to progress to the next sort of phase of a tournament, they want to have someone who've got the points. I guess it's also bowing to the fan, to the follower, the view of the eyeballs, the entertainment of the value of the game. If you like, you know, so, we're going to make it even more exciting for you. Now, there were some there were some some ridiculous things, weren't they. Weren't there bowl offs at some stages to see how many times you could hit the stumps as exactly. Then we found out the guys who couldn't bolster. Yeah, exactly what do you have another one? Then it's yeah, it's ridiculous, but yeah, I look, I have sympathy for what the what the person who sent this in, you know, especially as the games get longer. That's what happened to New Zealand, wasn't it in the ode eyes? After playing for six weeks, after playing for eight and a half hours, very conscious decision that any player could make. They couldn't sort the difference. So we have a super over.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I gave the idea that we could share it. Perhaps I was shouted down, No, we must have a winner. Well how trumpest? How trumpest of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that's that's an interesting one. So yeah, well it's one of those things I suppose we can talk about for a period of time. Soon we'll be talking about New Zealand being ruthless against Paper New Guinea and Uganda. Were we going to spend the weekend hoping they're ruthless? Wally? Are you building up for some ruthlessness? Well?
Speaker 4: I do expect to see a huge improvement, but that'll be because of the opposition we're playing against. I'd like to see perhaps better pictures, better conditions and a wee bit more conducive to players being able to go out and play what used to be the normal game. I would expect we win both games very very well. It will perhaps bring back a wee bit of interest. It will forgive some of the performances of the last few days. We're not going to go through anymore, and we're all disappointed, but we do want them to come home and feel as a welcome when they return.
Speaker 2: Aren't we on the same pitch fellas well, the same one as says today? Well, can they change that suddenly in three days? I don't know about that. But look, as I said before, I think they're going to have to lower their sights on what is a decent score, just a web it, you know, the medium medium bowlers, you know, God, obviously they're going to do the bulk of the work. It seems to me. I can't understand why Sata didn't bowl Moore spin and if bowling Darryl Mitchell in the nineteenth over in our two games is a plan, a plan before you go there cut it out. So so yeah, I'm interested to see if our batsman can stay to play a bit better and a bit more sensibly play, more sensible shots, get into the game. Chaffein Rutherford went in in the power play. He was in in the power play against New Zealand and he batted all the rest of the overs. That's what sort of thing we want to see.
Speaker 3: And we can see it at two thirty in the morning when they play the game against Papua New Guinea. Uganda's are all right, but I think against Papooh New Guinea, we're at two thirty in the morning. You'll be up watching, won't you.
Speaker 2: Oh, Wally, you'll be up.
Speaker 4: Ohill be certainly there. I'll stay right through the night. I'm so excited about the fact that Papua New Guinea are going to be our next to opponents. And also shouldn't they have heard some of the conversation we just had in the last twenty minutes. Perhaps they'll turn things around.
Speaker 3: Excellent stuff. Thanks guys, look forward to talking to you again and have you back on the front pot Cheers.
Speaker 2: Hi, cheers, yeah, cheers well.
Speaker 4: Summer oh.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk set B listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio