Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from Newstalks EDB. Follow this and our wide range of podcast now on iHeartRadio, The Big League Podcast podcast.
Speaker 2: Poet Bay News talks EDB.
Speaker 3: This week on The Big League Podcast, a somber chance Nickel krook Star explains another frustrating loss, this time to the Paramatta Eels at Mount Smart. Their top eight playoff hopes are now into the mathematicals. Alex Powell is back to answer the tough questions. How much blame lies with coach Andrew Webster, How has a season so heavily anticipated gone so terribly wrong? Of course it's not over. My name is Nathan Limb. Let's go good b LB. I genuinely don't know what to say. It's happening again again. I thought this was the Warriors new era. This team was tipped by some as the minor premiers. This is the same group of players that finished top four last year, the same group of players that went to the preliminary final. No wait, it's a better group of players. They've also got Roger Tui Vasaschek, Kurt Capewell and Chanelle Harris Tavita. So how the hell do you explain this every time they've come up against a bottom side, a team that's failed to pull it together at the best of times. The Warriors have face planted Titans at Mount Smart, Titans at the Gold Coast. The Eels hadn't won any games away from home the entire season. Am I being disrespectful to the Warrior's opposition?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: I am. They lost six in a row. So where does the blame lie? How much of this falls on the shoulders of coach Andrew Webster. We've hardly ever criticized Webster on this podcast, usually talking about specific players in one off situations, but if a team is consistently failing to show up on occasions in which they are clear favorites, part of that must be down to the culture set by the coach. I love Andrew Webster. I think he's brilliant, but things have not gone to plan this year and there is only so much we can put down to player injuries. Alex Powell, New Zealand Heralds right up, where do you stand on all this?
Speaker 5: I mean, when you put it like that, I do almost agree with you, like there does need to be accountability from all areas of this club, including the coach. You know, everything Andrew Webster has touched last year turned to gold. But this year they look like they're doing you know, they're not doing things too dissimilar, but as the results just aren't there.
Speaker 3: Is that the problem? Are they too similar to last year? We haven't evolved since last year and everyone's gone, Actually, you know, I've seen that short ball from Johnson before and now we'll tackle the player and this time not gonna whip that.
Speaker 5: That's a really great point, YEP, that would absolutely be.
Speaker 3: It is the season done?
Speaker 5: I mean I came on this podcast what two weeks go now and we looked at the Raiders, Tigers, Eels run and said if they don't win all three, that's going to be trouble. And they've won one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so look they can make the act the season is not over. If they win every game from here, they will put themselves in contention. If you go through there's like an NRL you know, results predictor thing and you can pick the winger where it tells you the table.
Speaker 5: So with the results you want to happen happen. Yeah, the Warriors wouldn't the inter Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if the Warriors, if you go through and do it so the Warriors win every game, and then you just pick the higher ranked team for all the other games. The Warriors will finish one point outside the eight. Chris Reeve did this yesterday when were sitting in the news room.
Speaker 5: I did this a couple of weeks ago and had the Warriors six. So that shows how close these margins are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they are needing upsets from around the table, and I suppose the only good thing about this is the teams they are playing over the next few weeks. Otherwise they're competing with forty eight. So a two point when you know you're actually depriving another team of two points as well. But again, other results need to go the Warriors way. This is unfortunately familiar territory. But let's get into the somewhat depressing highlights. Eels thirty, Warriors twenty.
Speaker 4: ARSI Brown quick Hands again, Parameta charts on.
Speaker 3: The lane, tie in the corner.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm gonna throw Congo scores Well, still thought to come. Here's Joey Lussack Heaven to Go story, Johnson for Kids, Harris to be the Knights, quick Heads parents Tooey baser check and the Charter. The short dropout Paramtal with position short ball. Here's a chart for USI right up the park, Hey Scots, a bit.
Speaker 3: Door for Brown.
Speaker 4: Here's a chance for paramedter up the park to Lundy scores under the posts.
Speaker 3: Now Brown Brown through.
Speaker 4: The other side. Brown need some support. Follow the inside Hans con Gavison. He'll score for Paramount with little Blake Johnson open space here for the Warriors. Nicole Klock's dad get Stone, he'll score Johnson. Here's a part of Nilney Scots catching the crossfield. What's Eddy's Elizabeth gets the bouts Hell get the try. The Warriors will have the final side full time thirty voice. That's we eat Parametta win this one here at Orford.
Speaker 3: Audio courtesy of sky Sport.
Speaker 6: The Big League Podcast podcast.
Speaker 3: You' seld Herald writer and friend of The Big League Podcast Christopher Reef have a chat to Charles Nickel cookstart in the sheds after the game. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 7: Sean's first came back in a few weeks, Segas Versta well Man, how'd you feel out there?
Speaker 8: How's the body going You body's feeling pretty good, Thank you.
Speaker 2: May It's it's a little bit hard. The feelings it's just a little bit disappointing.
Speaker 8: The results, saying, apart from the result, bodies bodies find thanks.
Speaker 7: I guess looking at tonight, you know, eras were really sort of the vane of you guys let the eels in and they took advantage. I guess looking back over the last few weeks, how frustrating has that been to watch on the sidelines, to see the team I guess struggle with errors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 8: You know, I feel like we've been our worst enemy this year and that game was, you know, perfect, a clear picture of that. We need to be a lot better with those, with those, with the with the individuals, and you know, I think it would have helped us collectively as a team. So yeah, bad pool, but to swallow, but something that needs to be had, and we're going to have a hard look at ourselves.
Speaker 7: We got a few big games coming up. I guess the mood and the team. What does tonight's result mean for I guess the context of the season moving forward.
Speaker 2: Gotta win, gotta win. We need to win.
Speaker 8: These store an opportunity we feel for us to be able to play September footy, and we want to be there. We know that we are capable of being there, and you know, we just need to finish. I think we've got four more games to go, and yeah, we're gonna have that self belief.
Speaker 2: And it is there. It is there.
Speaker 8: We just need to cut out those areas and that'll.
Speaker 2: Go a long way to helping us get the win.
Speaker 7: I guess on the other side of that, those four games against top eight opponents, do you see these I guess there's four point games. You know, you take a win off one of these guys, and you know, all of a sudden, things start looking better for yourselves.
Speaker 2: On the table. Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 8: Those are things that you know, we're now in control of.
Speaker 2: What it's always been in our control.
Speaker 8: Really, if I'm being honest, we've had a lot of games that we've we've lost many a couple of points or you know, by by margins, and you know, again it's we've been at.
Speaker 2: The forefront of that.
Speaker 8: So I'm we're going to fix up, you know, things individually. I know that it'll come together collectively.
Speaker 3: From tonight.
Speaker 7: I guess what do you want to see the boys take out of this or learn from it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a hard one tonight.
Speaker 8: I think for me, what I'd love the voice to do is to go home, enjoy the time with their families. It's it's a good opportunity to to really look at our loved ones and just enjoy the moment. Enjoy the moment, and when we come into training next it'll be that'll be the opportunity to look at ourselves, give ourselves a hard word and build.
Speaker 2: Build. We need to build.
Speaker 8: We need to look to to improve and we need to be better.
Speaker 7: We need to I guess, just lastly, where where was it that the Eels were able to exploit you guys tonight?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, I guess all over the all over the shot mate. It's it's a team sport, and you know we collectively we were good enough. So I think we've got to bring it down to the individual and if individually we can fix up those those errors, those errors, and it all comes together as a team. And that's that's the beautifulaying the team spoil of someone in Max and their the He's got to be someone there to back up, back them up.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it wasn't our best camp tone.
Speaker 6: This is the Big League Podcast, This is our Yeah, the Big League Podcast on the worries bad wagons since day one.
Speaker 3: Now we like to hold ourselves accountable on the Big League Podcast, and unfortunately this week it's my turn to eat some humble pie after I previewed the Eels game like this. Let me make no mistake when I tell you this. The Eels are rubbish. They sit seconds to last on the ladder. Four wins, fourteen losses. They've lost six in a row. They sacked he'd coach Brad Arthur midway through the season. They are without half back Mitchell Moses, who's undergone surgery on a bicep rupture. He is out for the season.
Speaker 5: You don't want to throw anything out there this season because it's just been one of those seasons. But you're right one to thirteen they should have too much for yours.
Speaker 3: I love how you are like the voice of reason. They're just to Let's not write them off. Let's not throw anything out there this season because it has been one of these Why did I have to sound so arrogant about it?
Speaker 5: Oh? Look, this is between arrogance and confidence. You're confident in the Warriors as they should have won that game and we all know that.
Speaker 3: Let's go through this game in a little bit more detail. Honestly, I thought they started okay. I thought the attack looked pretty organized, It looked pretty dynamic. They just weren't punching through any holes in those first twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: We said this last week, didn't we They start well but don't score and that will kill you at this level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Seann Johnson Obviously coming into halfback after all those weeks out, he had a couple of big defensive plays early on. I thought the is kicking during the game in general play was good, His bombs were threatening. Obviously he had a bit of a shocker off the tee, but first game back he finished with three triasis. I thought he played pretty well on the whole, but just as we moved into the back half of that first half, and obviously in the second half on one defensive eras and silly mistakes again story of the season. Mile of Graham Tulfa and Ali Lautao I thought looked really good with ball in hands, six and four tackle breaks respectively, but they're defensively shaky and the one on one tackles there were two tries there where just got blown past some instant try for the Eels. I mean it's so frustrating to watch.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, the NRL is not a young man's game. You do need guys with experience. You need guys who know what they're doing, and unfortunately we've got two guys in those positions who are lacking that experience.
Speaker 3: I mean talk about the eras though, like you can hear the frustrating We're gonna hear from a clip a few clips from Andrew Webster in a second that I've compiled into a montage, rather morbid montage from the presser. But it's so harrowing to see the Warriors attacking inside the Eels and dropping it on the first play, dropping it in a try scoring position. Premiership teams just don't do it well.
Speaker 5: They're called coach killers for a reason, aren't they. You know, these sorts of mistakes and I'm not talking about in this instance, but these are the sort of things that you know, turn results and in the end get coaches sacked.
Speaker 3: And you talked about the obviously the youthfulness of Tala and Moorla, Graham Tulfa, but even Kurk Capewell fell off four tackles. I mean, this is experience man, Kirk Capwole's done everything. And when you've got your leaders, your senior players in the team who are also failing to meet you know, you're basic NRL standards, that's a tone setter.
Speaker 5: You're right, And it goes back to what you said for about Andrew webisode. Where are the standards being set here? Are they being set at the top and going down through the coaches? Are they being set by I mean, now that toy virus is out, what does the leadership on field look like? What does the leadership on the training ground look like? Is there anyone taking guys by the scruff of the neck and saying no, this is not good enough. As that of Mitch Barnett characteristic I mean, because I look at him on the surface and think, yeah, that's absolutely something he'd do. But do we know that he's doing that now as Sean Johnson doing it as the most senior player in this club. Probably I'd probably say not because he's been out for weeks and that was his first game back. So there are just these big, you know, not holes on the field, but off the field.
Speaker 3: The point that really was just harrowing for me looking back at that game was Dayton on Narsis try as before halftime off a Johnson drop goal a dropout rather the defensive line should have been set in Clint Gutherson just ran left across the field and just pired a short ball to Arci who went straight through a hole. That should not happen off a short dropout when you all lined up on I mean, it's.
Speaker 5: What it comes up all the time when the restarts. Yeah, just when the restart controllable, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, how do they where do they go from there? What do they need to fix?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean look, I think Andrew Webster and co. Can't answer these questions. I don't know how its. Like I said, on the surface, that doesn't seem to be too much different, But maybe that is the problem that teams don't know what they're.
Speaker 9: Going to do.
Speaker 3: Here is the compilation of Andrew Webster from the press conference. Yeah, just listen to us. We made an error.
Speaker 9: We didn't defend it and drop their bundle, and then we just kept compounding it from there on. And I didn't see that resilience and wanting to make those one on one tackles to save those tries. We're putting pressure them defensively, we're going after them. We make him kick from their end, and then on last play we charged the ballgame and knocking off. That's one one of many. But Ben, Okay, no one's perfect. I'm going to defend the next one. And I feel like we dropped our bundle just to how many dumb things we saw tonight, like things that just weren't good enough, just when r else standard.
Speaker 5: I'd tear the sentence and that that really hurts me as and now I am blowing the line between being a fan and being a journalist. But we didn't see the resilience that was I think the thing that made Warriors fans most proud last year is that that resilience They didn't, you know, because that's part of Warriors fan. You know that things are going to go against you. You're going to get the dodgy calls, you're going to get due to street decisions, just like oh, he's banned for four weeks, you know. But being able to put that aside last year and just keep going and you know, get a top four finish and gets a preliminary final, you know, that's what made the fans or go, Yeah, this is our team. Again and we've not seen that this year.
Speaker 3: You know what else we haven't seen this year fans leaving before full time.
Speaker 5: I don't think obviously there's going to be so much made about, you know, the fans, and you get a lot of course rempic I remember the Warriors were meant to be a threat to rugby, but this is genuinely this is something real that's happening at the Warriors now, like they have created something. You know, I was getting into one with a colleague of ours who I won't name on here about why the Warriors were selling out each week and the Blues won't, and the Blues are a championship team, and it's because at the Warriors you feel like you're part of something. You know, it's not rugby where you go and you expect to be entertained. A lot of these Warriors fans had to suffer, you know, and it's great that so many new people are turning up each week and they've sold out every game and they'll probably keep doing that next year as well.
Speaker 3: Blues fans have had to suffer too, I'll just point that out, but you're right, you're right, it's that sort of FUNO aspect, almost like the singing of the team song after the game. It's it's a togetherness that you feel when you're at Mount Smart and you're in that sort of what you see someone on the street and Warriors kit and to then look at your team have that kind of a performance. It hurts because you make it part of you. If you're walking around in Warriors jusey, it's part of your identity. You're you're you are identifying with that club.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think the cool thing here is that we don't often come face to face with too many fans from rival clubs, like we are all suffering together.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's not like you you know, if you you know you support English football and you you know your team losers, and then you're immediately someone in a rival kit. We see someone in a rival kit. Sorry, you feel it even more, but I mean the Warriors are suffering as one.
Speaker 6: Now Big League.
Speaker 3: Podcast, all right to our rumor desk Alex Powell. We've seen some murmurings on social media that Dylan Walker after obviously, you know, not long after Jane Stevango announced that he would be this will be his last season with the club. His bull brother Dylan Walker rumors he's asked for a release from the club due to personal reasons. Do you have any information on this right?
Speaker 5: So, like you say, this came out on the same day that it was revealed Jazz withing the club. I put my journalist hat on as opposed to my warrior's fan hat message. Dylan said, hey, mate, this is what we're hearing is he can filml and I and he categorically confirmed.
Speaker 3: That is not true. So he's not leaving the club.
Speaker 5: I mean, look that he's contract until the end of next year, which means as of November he can negotiate, so that didn't come up. He might want to leave the club, but he will not actively seek a release. That means he won't plan twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: That's what we do on the Big League Podcast. Thank you, Alex Powell. Right. The Warriors face the Dolphins on Sunday, a nine day turnaround, which is good because I feel like they need it. They need a reset. Hit the reset button. They beat the Dolphins twenty four to twenty with a Hodge Podge team. Way back in May. That was around the time to Mighty Martin was really turning it on at half back that was coming off the win over the Panthers in Magic Round. The Dolphins are coming off a forty to thirty four loss to the Roosters. They sit ninth overall with nine wins ten losses, one of the teams vying for the eighth. So, as we heard in the interview between Cross Reeve and Charles Nikal course earlier, kind of a four point game, the Dolphins have been good this year out of his power. I mean, they've been a little bit up and down, but overall they've been certainly more solid than the Warriors. How do they approach this game?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think first off, they're going to want to right the wrongs of that loss. Amount smart, aren't they. They like men like we was saying about the Warriors indo the eals, the Dolphins shouldn't have lost that game, So they'll want to go out there and prove that they are aside. I mean, the fact that the top eight's on the line will add another string to their bow. They'll want to get up, can get mathematically into the eight and into finals for the first time, because let's not forget they are very young as a club. But also you look at you know, This is wayn Bennett's last year at the Dolphins foundation coach as an NRL side. Obviously the Dolphins existed before that. They'll want to get up here. They'll want to send their coach out on a high. They've got players that should be playing finals football.
Speaker 3: And the Warriors away from home as well. That's we've only got one more home game. So that's just another thing that I guess I have to contend with because the Dolphins fans will really get into it. They're on the version that they've never met made the eight in an NRL competition here before, They're only in their second season, they're at home. It's all on the line. The Warriors are struggling. This is a game the Dolphins shouldn't lose.
Speaker 5: No, but let's not also forget the Warriors are very well supported in Brisbane.
Speaker 3: No, a very very good point. Now, last week we had obviously a few returns named as Shawn Johnson named in the team. Chance Cookstar was back at fullback, but Luke Metcalf played his first New South Wales Cup game since returning from a surgery on his leg fracture way early in the season. Back in round four. He picked that up, and so he played alongside to Martin Martin in the halves in the forty six to ten demolition of the Eels reserve grades side. He played the first half and was rested the secondest stance showed fifty five meters from eight runs, five tackle breaks, seventeen kick receipts, four tackles without a miss, seventy meters from two kicks and no errors. They were thirty zero up after thirty one minutes. So I would say that's a resounding success. Alex Powell, how will I guess? Do you expect Luke Metcalf to be named? I don't think Janelle Harris Tavitas been playing badly. Obviously off the tee. He had a miss a couple of weeks ago, but apart from that, I think he's played pretty well, apart from a couple of defensive eras. Maybe do you expect Metcalf to be straight back in there.
Speaker 5: Just because it was only forty minutes? I'd probably say not. I might think, oh, really well, I mean, look, you can't play one half of reserve great and expect to be ready for the NRL at this point in the season. The thing I will give Luke Metcalff in his favor though, as I do think all up here is Sean Johnson's best partner. I think those two compliment each other the best out of all four Warriors halves. You know. Johnson wants to sit back and manage Metcalff wants to get the born hand, take it on, run at it, you know. So I think if that's what they think they need, then that's what they'll do.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for Tomainie Martin too, because he's effectively been dropped there, which is obviously given up on the Johnson Martin combination, which I think is the right move at this point in the season, just because it hasn't worked so far and they don't have time to get it working. So I'd love to see Luke Metcalf back into starting side. But you do make a very good point about probably needing a full game of New South Wales Cup before he's ready for the NRL as well. So of course the alternative is he starts this weekend and we have Chanelle on the interchange and Chanell plays the sort of dummy five eighth interchangeable role, so that could be a possibility as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I absolutely think that's you know, that's a very good option to have. You know, Schanell's probably the most verstile player in this team.
Speaker 6: The Big League Podcast on the Warriors Bad Wagons since day one. The big League Podcast for the biggest league fans.
Speaker 3: Okay, Alex Pout Quick Fire Predictions, Round twenty three. I'm going to come at you with eight games. You're going to tell me who's your winner and why. First up, Rabbit O Storm Storm.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna get into we do this every week. I think the Storm a better team.
Speaker 3: Just we'll pick the Storm, Titans, Sharks.
Speaker 5: I'd really liked the look at the Titans the last few weeks. I think at home, I think they'll do it.
Speaker 3: Titans absolutely demolished the Broncos forty six eighteen. They've really come alive in the second half of the season. The Sharks, well, they beat the Barons twenty points to six. The Titans are at home, you game with the Titans.
Speaker 5: I'm going Titans.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go with the Titans. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Titans to beat the Sharks on the Gold Coast Eels Panthers.
Speaker 5: Out of the West. Let's go Panthers.
Speaker 3: I'm going to agree with you there, Panthers getting the job done over Newcastle on Sunday evening. Don't think the Earls will have enough for them. They think Cleary scoring the winning try. Raiders Seagulls.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go Raiders.
Speaker 3: See the Raiders had a close lost to the Bulldogs. The Seagulls coming off the bye again. Two teams in and around that top eight, I'm gonna disagree with you here and go for the Seagulls to win this one. Seventh spot on the lader, Dragon's Bulldogs, Bulldogs, Bulldogs, they're having a season. Man Camera s Eraldo Coach of the Year Swan.
Speaker 5: He has to be. I mean, I don't think anyone else gets close to him, and you look at where he's you know, Andrew Webster came in straight away from that Panthers system and you know took the words the top four one coach of the year. Cameras are. They had a really tough year last year. They had players that they probably shouldn't have signed on money they shouldn't have spent, and he's really just managed to turn it around.
Speaker 3: Bulldogs fifth on the ladder and the Dragons are eighth. Also in that fight, I'm going to go with the Bulldogs as well, and Dolphins versus the Warriors, Alex Powell, They've still got all the players back.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm I don't want to just be deluded and say Warriors, but I think that's what I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to do.
Speaker 3: You're going to go for the Warriors.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go for the Warriors.
Speaker 3: I'm going to pick the Dolphins. It pains me to say it, but given the circumstances, given that they're at home. Although actually it would be like the Warriors to completely mess up the game, They're expected to win, head into the tough one and produce an absolute master class. So really, who knows? Knights Tigers?
Speaker 5: Probably the Knights, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go with the Knights as well to win that one. Also in the fight for the top eight, well a competition. Thank you so much Alex Pale for your time, you're wisdom, your insight on the Big League Podcast this week. Please follow and rate the podcast. We will be back next Monday. My name is Nathan Limb. Have a fantastic week.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B, listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio