Speaker 1: What's really interesting in the energy market is pricing is complicated. Huge data sets. If you get it wrong, it's expensive.
Speaker 2: You went through a bit of a tough patch a couple of months back, didn't you?
Speaker 1: I would like to be in 40 countries, 400 million meter points. We have big ambitions. A good programmer is working with a swarm of programming agents that are actually, you put them to work so you can 5x or 10x your productivity.
Speaker 2: Is it do or die time for some of the big power companies? Adjusting to a world where power is shifting might take some help. Gentrac is a company that wants to position itself between the customers and their bills, and the businesses and their charges. How's that all going? CEO Gary Miles gave me some of his time. Let's find out.
Speaker 3: Investing involves risk. You might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also recommend reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest. Everything you're about to see and hear is current at the time of recording.
Speaker 2: Gary Miles, Gin Check CEO. How hard can it be to bill somebody for power?
Speaker 1: Power is tricky, actually, Garth. People have solar panels on the roof. They've got batteries in their driveway. Batteries are starting to pump power into the grid. You don't want to pump it into the grid to make some money on your bill and then drive off and run out of juice. Time of use, it's becoming trickier. And that's for consumers. When you get into big businesses, you know, grid scale kind of energy needs, it's complicated.
Speaker 2: So you cover the whole range from someone who might just be getting a bill once a month from a power company right through to a big corporate that's got.
Speaker 3: Four or five thousand.
Speaker 1: A big corporate that's got offices all over New Zealand and they want to flex pricing and trading because energy is, you know, it's an expensive part of the mix. And so they have, you know, the big companies have their own trading and pricing teams that are making sure they can optimize this.
Speaker 2: And you're keeping track. You're also helping them work out what the best prices are.
Speaker 1: So we help retailers make propositions that can help their customers manage their energy prices, have options, make the most out of their mix of needs. And you have things like load shifting. So you say, hey, if you end up can shift the energy consumption to a period when It's not during peak. You can save a lot of money. As a matter of fact, sometimes you can get paid to pump money into the grid. I'll give you a really interesting example. There's one of our customers in Australia has what's called the battery of the nation. And it's actually two lakes. And when the grid is overheating, it'll fill one of the lakes and take power off the grid and maybe get paid to do that. And then when the grid needs energy, It'll drain the lake and push power into the grid. So it's a complicated space, believe me. And it wasn't so complicated before. You had dumb meters, pretty fixed, stable energy. So billing was simpler. People didn't have digital engagement to understand it. And now it's more complicated. So the IT systems need to support that.
Speaker 2: EY surveyed people around the globe, consumers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: 78% said, we're doing all we can already to save power. Power companies, you've got to help us here. You've got to help us recommend better ways. You're helping them recommend the better ways?
Speaker 1: Oh, for sure. I mean, if you look at what's happening. So in Australia, one of the really, in some states, the number one energy contributor to the grid during the day is rooftop solar. because it's been subsidized by the government and then they've got batteries on the side of their homes. And we provide systems that help manage when do you pump that power from the battery into the grid and make money? When do you run your house off the battery or when do you run your house off the grid? How can we help them save money? How can you return make a shorter return on investment for those kind of consumer energy resource assets like solar and battery so that we can get more renewable batteries, renewable power into the grid that's not going to, you know, burn fossil fuels.
Speaker 2: So this is a virtual power plant.
Speaker 1: It's a virtual power plant, yeah.
Speaker 2: Ours is tiny here in New Zealand, like 4% of the people have got solar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty small in New Zealand, but they also do things like you've got, you know, your boiler and things can start running during a certain time and we can offload when that boiler kind of heats up and stores hot water in your house, these heat cylinders. So we're helping control that, so that'll stabilize. Because what's expensive is dealing with these peaks on the energy market. And here in New Zealand, we have a lot of renewable energy, but I can tell you the retailers and the gen tailors are pumping huge sums of money into providing better, cleaner power on a stable basis. It's not a trivial project at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I understood right, your plan was to try and be a company that was sort of at the forefront as all of these power companies around the world shift out of some legacy systems into new systems. Yeah. How's that going for you?
Speaker 1: It's going well. So when I joined the business a little over five years ago, we were in four countries. We had about 40 retailers around. And I saw that as an amazing platform because– Australia, New Zealand, the UK, where we operated, were really, really dynamic energy and water markets. Let's focus on energy from this perspective. Anyway, I saw that as a great platform to modernize our technology with those clients. And then to take that technology that works well, and like in a lot of ways, Australia, for example, is living in the future as far as the energy transition is concerned.
Speaker 2: Does that mean we're living in the past?
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: New Zealand is always on the forefront of stuff. But we have a lot of stable energy resources, geothermal and things here. So it's not as volatile. So Australia is hyper volatile. But anyway, so the objective was to then harden and modernize our technology and then take the learnings from retailers and gin tailors in this part of the world and go help other retailers and gin tailors transform. So now we're in nine countries. We're looking to expand into Europe or expand into Southeast Asia. We now have customers in Singapore and Philippines and Fiji and Papua New Guinea and a place like that. And we're looking to really land Europe. I mean, that's a big focus for us.
Speaker 2: So it's hard to do a new thing with new customers. You've got to do a new thing with old customers first to prove it, right?
Speaker 1: I think that having been there and done it and have customers that talk about it is when you're dealing with major enterprise systems, I mean, these are huge systems. They need to be cyber secure. They need to be very robust. And it's a big investment. So the real key is how can I amortize that across as many meter points around the world as possible? It's kind of unit economics. And to be able to spin up big enterprise systems in faraway countries, to sell in faraway countries, to deliver it, is not trivial and we've proven we can do that. So we want to do it. We'd like to be in 40 countries, 400 million meter points. I mean, we have big ambitions. So that's the journey we're on.
Speaker 2: Do you put people there or is it all virtual or is it a mix? How are you doing it?
Speaker 1: So it kind of depends. If it's a big, big kind of country presence for us, we may set up an establishment, but in general, we prefer to put people in to land the system, train a local software integrator or support company that can do the ongoing change work. For us to be in 40 countries, we don't, you know, we're not all polyglots. I don't know. You know, we'd really like to work through some Accentures and Capgeminis of the world where they can take our technology and deploy it around the world, and we'll help them do that with resources. But we don't need to establish a lot of people in every country.
Speaker 2: So these are these forward-deployed engineers that we're seeing a little bit in some of the frontier model companies, AI companies, where they're sending people out into the field to basically teach customers how to use their product. You've got the same thing?
Speaker 1: So we do have four deployed engineers. The first thing we need to do is land our product. So if we're going to go in and we're going to replace a legacy old IT system, this is a pretty big project. It can take 12 months. So we go in and we do customer migration, we land the system, we do training, etc., It's part of that and following onto that, more importantly, once they have the system, we bring four deployed engineers that work with our AI capabilities to really rapidly bring solutions to the business or to IT in a super cost-effective way.
Speaker 2: Has that changed much in the time you've been doing it?
Speaker 1: It's changed unbelievably. It is astounding, even since February. I mean, November, the pace of some of these frontier models started to accelerate quite a bit. Now we can do things with clients. I'll give you an example. We're working with our AI environment right now where we went to the business. We had a three-hour interview on a problem they wanted to solve, a complex problem. We recorded it. We all agreed we could record it. We recorded it. We took that transcript online. We put it through AI. It created a specification. Then we had that specification approved by the customer. Then we used AI to create the agents to go run it, and we were done. Whereas in the past, I'd interview you, Garth, and I'd, what do you need? And we'd write it down, and then we'd go back, and we'd ask the programmers, is it clear? And then they'd come, more questions, back and forth. weeks as opposed to really days.
Speaker 2: Is the AI solving the problem or is it just helping connect the people in your business that are solving the problem? Is it doing something itself? Or is it just speeding things up?
Speaker 1: Well, it kind of depends. As a software company, it's pretty interesting today. And I don't know, I'm sure with Sharesies, you've got a bunch of people out there investing in technology, software engineers. They'll know this, right? So if you're using AI today to help you kind of prompt code, do some code development, then you're checking it all, you're maybe getting a 20% or 30% efficiency gain or throughput. The good AI programmers are actually... doing a lot. You can listen to Eric Schmidt. He's got a video, the founder of Google. He says, if you're programming today, just stop. It's not good for your career and it's not good for the company. Honestly, that's how much has changed, which is kind of sad because programming is a profession. We got where we wanted to be because we like to program.
Speaker 2: You're a programmer.
Speaker 1: I've done my programming in the past. Probably not the, I'm not a frontier model programmer at this point, but I work with AI, for example. But anyway, what I was going to say is, The good programmer is working with a swarm of programming agents that are actually you put them to work. They know your environment. They know your code base. And you put them to work and a task. And then you go to lunch or you put three more to work. And you come back. And so you can 5x or 10x your productivity.
Speaker 2: You're the ringleader. You're not the act.
Speaker 1: Well, you're always part of the act as a ringleader.
Speaker 2: But, yes.
Speaker 1: Now, when we talk about AI with our customers, so they have call center agents. They have payment collections agents.
Speaker 3: They have people.
Speaker 1: You know, field services, and it's a different type of AI. So in the past, you would maybe have a pod of customer service reps supporting a group of customers. Now you may have a customer service reps with a pod of agents supporting that customer's decisioning. So it's all changing pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Factor.
Speaker 2: It's the company you guys bought. It's a little company that like went from having one customer to 12 months later, New Zealand company, Wellington Tech Company. How on earth do you look at a company and go, you had one customer 12 months ago, now we're going to pay you $ 25, $ 35 million for what you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, first of all, how long is a piece of string when you acquire something that's kind of early revenues? It's tricky. So what we're interested to do is bring great people and technologies into our team that have experience that can help us scale globally. And what's really interesting in the energy market is pricing is complicated. It's super huge data sets. If you get it wrong, it's expensive. If you can forecast well what energy usage the grid or your customer book is going to require, and you can price it well, then you run a profitable business and you run a good hedge book. So you have to hedge your energy. Without that, you're in a lot of trouble. So pricing is disproportionately important. Jess and Simon and the co-founders and the team down there, it's a really rock solid technology team that understand pricing well. And we can take that and plug it into our portfolio and bring a lot of value to our customers and I think new customers and existing ones. So, you know, we decided if you translate it into pounds, it's, you know, it's not, it's still a pretty reasonable price. And we think it's going to be a very good acquisition for Gentrack and our customers.
Speaker 2: You think a lot in pounds. You're based mostly in London.
Speaker 1: Well, we think in Kiwi dollars too because we're listed on the New Zealand Exchange.
Speaker 2: You're a very global team, right?
Speaker 1: But we're a global team. So we've got about 800 professionals around the world. We have our utilities business and we have an airport business. Our airport business is in about 160 airports around the world. So Gatwick and Schiphol and Miami and Auckland and Sydney. I mean, you know, we're Like if you've touched Gentrack, if you've traveled probably on an airplane.
Speaker 2: Not that a lot of people traveled for a while there, and then not that a lot of people are traveling a little bit, you know, because the price of jet fuel. Does that hit? Do you find that the business dries up?
Speaker 1: So wildly we're finding that passenger flows are not declining that much. Jet fuel pricing because of this mess in the Gulf is definitely a concern. It's wild how they found some workarounds to some extent for this. But it's nothing like when I took over. GENTRAC and we were in the middle of COVID. I mean, that was a bit of a problem for our airports business and our airports customers. I mean, if you look at one of our airports customers who will remain unnamed, but let's say a big airport in Southeast Asia, the airport's revenues, not GENTRAC's revenues to the airport, but the airport's revenues were down 97% during COVID. Our systems keep airports running smoothly. And like I said, we're pretty global in that regard. And from a people perspective, we have a few hundred people here, more than 200 people in New Zealand. We've been growing. We have a couple hundred people in Australia. We have people in Denmark and we have a lot of people in the UK.
Speaker 2: You've just hired some new people as well. I think you got one like in Tel Aviv, another one in London, someone here. How do you keep a really united view when you've got people spread around the globe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gareth, that's what I call the tyranny of distance in this regard. That's tricky. But we're not unique to that. I mean, we're a global company. Most companies these days are global. You have global scale. It's important. You have global perspective. You know, we see stuff in the energy markets or water markets and other parts of the world that our customers here can like to hear about and benefit from. We take them on client exploration journeys so they can learn from each other. But, yeah, I mean, you know, it's kind of interesting. When I took this job, it was pretty easy to look at the interweb and say, wow, that's it. tricky time zone difference from the UK to New Zealand. But only when you get in the seat do you realize really that the overlap in the working day is pretty small. So we've found ways to work around it. It's just like any global company.
Speaker 2: So you're just up 24 hours a day?
Speaker 1: I'm just sleeping way too little. But no, we've gotten a good operating rhythm. So it's good.
Speaker 2: I want to talk a bit about how the company's performed, you know, share price performance, all that kind of stuff. You went through a bit of a tough patch a couple of months back, didn't you? Can you try and unravel that a little bit for me and explain what's changed since then?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So first of all, we grew for about the first four years of our operation on 25, 26% CAGR. That's fast growth. So when I took over, we're about $ 100 million and now we're pushing around 230. We've always been profitable. So we're cash generative. So that's good. So I think we performed really well on a lot of fronts. We came out with G2, which is our new technology stack. And when you come out with a major enterprise stack, oh, look, we know how to sell well. The vision of G2 is great. We know how to deliver well. So our story is a good story. But our pipeline really wanted to see it in production. And they wanted to kick the tires. They bring the sandbox. And we were still in that process of deploying it with our first few customers, which we've done now. So we need to get back to winning a bunch of new logos. I remain really confident about our global potential. And we're just putting our head down. And the share price is important. And you've got people here that care a lot about it. We care about it. But I can say as a CEO, we're really focusing on value and customers and growth. we're pretty confident.
Speaker 2: I just want to touch quickly on incentives because I'll be frank here. You hit the headlines last year, the local paper took a look and said highest paid CEO on the exchange there, obviously as a result of the way that the incentives and so on and your, and your package worked out. Do we have a problem here in New Zealand with paying people?
Speaker 1: That was a, that's tricky. And so it's tricky to respond to, but I'll try to respond to it. It's fine because we're a transparent company. I, We had an interesting situation. So in the private equity markets, which private equity is private investment of companies, so they'll go in and there's a lot of acquisitions of public market organizations into the private space and a precedent of creating a lot of wealth in that private market. And they incentivize executive teams with a lot of shares because they want to align incentives between shareholders like Sharesies and the executives that are working hard to produce that. We put in a double hurdle. So we had to make earnings per share forecast, which a lot of our shares investors in the early days said, wow, you set a high bar. And then we had to move the stock up. And otherwise, we got nothing, nothing. And we ended up making those numbers and getting some shares on paper. Now, I didn't go sell those shares because I believe in the business and didn't sell any of them besides to retire some tax obligations that you have to pay in the UK in advance. And we believe in the business. And so that that would, you know, that looks like a big number. You know, at some point, as we perform really well, we'll probably be rewarded for that. But we'd like to try to reward all of our people and our shareholders and bring them the gains, and that's what we're aligned to do.
Speaker 2: So, yeah. That's an eloquent explanation, I suppose. The question stands, do you think we've got a problem here in this market with rewarding people?
Speaker 1: Look, there's a disparity in income and people can decide to you know give money away and do things with their money as they get it and I think if you look at the wealth creation in places like the US, I mean, it's much, much higher percentage of shares. If you look at the NASDAQ and things, it's just a percentage, not to mention real numbers. I think that it's dangerous for the public markets to put this under the spotlight too much, because it can put the public markets in New Zealand at risk of disappearing into the private space. Yeah, should there be more equitable share pay structures across the country and things? I think we'd probably better leave that to the government to figure out. I'm not sure if I answered your question.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's fair because I think there's a lot of searching questions just about how healthy the local exchange is at the moment.
Speaker 1: This is something the New Zealand exchange needs to really consider and the press and all this type of thing because you do want to attract talent into the public markets and grow the economy and have a vibrant place for people to make investments and get returns. It's a trade, you know, but it always comes with some controversy and I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: I suppose talking about the market for talent, was I right thinking that you've made some hires here and some of them out of that same pool of people that worked with de facto folks to develop that product. I think Nick Kennedy was one that I was looking at when I was looking right down your list, or am I getting too granular?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they work together with the factory team. Jess and Nick and Code work together.
Speaker 2: So a lot of the time you are not so much just looking at what the technology can do, but who are the bright people to bring in?
Speaker 1: Oh, 100%. I mean, it's all about talent. I mean, as a CEO, the thing where you don't want to compromise is on your talent ever because it's a talent run. I mean, it goes from the management team to the, the four deployed engineers to our programmers and our visionary and our product managers. So it's all about finding the top talent. And we are trying to do that all over the globe. And if you're an aspiring engineer out there and looking for a job to do super cool stuff around the world, please send me a note. We're keen to hear from you. Honestly, I mean, I'm doing a job because it's competitive. You know, it's a competitive space.
Speaker 2: Before we wrap up, I'm just thinking we've talked a bit about AI, how you use it. Data centers, we've got a data center debate here in New Zealand now. How much of an opportunity did the arrival of those hyperscale facilities present? Are they a simple problem for a power company to solve and a water company to solve? Is this something that you see here and around the world? is something that GeneTrek's well-positioned to take advantage of.
Speaker 1: Oh, look, I think on these data centers, I mean, there's a lot of heat that goes on to them about water usage, and now they're recycling water, and they generate a lot of their own power. They set up subsidized power or whatever, their own power investments near their data centers. That's a huge investment, a data center. Like AWS has three zones here. It's one of 39... global data center zones in the world to invest in New Zealand. That is a major investment. I think it should help the New Zealand economy. And all those data centers need to be as power neutral as possible. I think they're really working on that because it's a big part of their business.
Speaker 2: But does that cut you out if they're trying to work out their own solutions?
Speaker 1: No, I think all of our customers would like to supply them all of their power. But That just doesn't exist in this day and age. You have private companies going out and bringing power sources into the grid. It's healthy. It's a healthy situation. So, look, I mean, the AI hyperscalers are spending a fortune. We'll see how that long-term investment works out for them. But, you know, it's kind of the highways of the future in many, many ways. So I think we're entering a new era with, AI. It's a super fast movie. I find it fascinating. It's scary, I have to say. But it's fascinating. I would encourage everybody to go out there and try to understand it and see how it's going to evolve their career. And you talked about some of the stuff that some people that are close to you are doing. And I think that's a pragmatic way to look at it, Garth. So go out there, grab it, you know, jump in and it's amazing what's happening. That's what I'd like to, you know, close with, I think.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Garth.
Speaker 2: And thank you as well. We hope you got something out of Shared Lunch this week. Kumotu, that's us.