Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Straight down the Middle, Try Dickey scud.
Speaker 1: Try get inside the game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliot Smith and Lea Napier, powered by News Talks ed B.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Access Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level. We tease that we might be back, and we have delivered two days out from the All Blacks Test match against South Africa. This big match has been on the horizon for quite some time. Liam, It's as we record this, just over forty eight hours away and we have the All Blacks team for Saturday night's game. Were you surprised by the twenty three that coach Scot Robertson's named.
Speaker 2: No on the whole?
Speaker 4: There was a bit of oil floating around the traps elsewhere, but look, this is largely the team we discussed at the start of the week and what I expected. I thought they would bring in Ammonia Darraua for sever Reese. We talked about Fabian Holland being fatigued and to provi playing his best rugby at Locke for the All Blacks last year, and the All Blacks have always seen Simon Parker as a six rather than an eight. It was more about giving him that exposure last week. And look, the All Blacks were never going to push the panic button. Their backs are pressed to the war and they are really up against it, aren't They were the Eden park record the Springboks coming to town. But I never really got the sense from Scott Robertson's public utterances or just the general All.
Speaker 2: Blacks ethos that they were always.
Speaker 4: Back, faith first and foremost back players to respec on before making mass changes.
Speaker 2: What about you.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it's pushing the panic part it necessarily, but they've invested a lot into two po I at blindside flanker this year across the two tests in Dunedin and Wellington. Didn't play in Hamilton, off the top of my head, then played the two in Argentina at blindside Flanka. Now that wouldn't have happened. If Simon Parker was fit at the start of the year. He would have got an opportunity in some of that French series. Whether it's all some whatever, but it feels like for the biggest Test match of the year. They've now diverted course, and to an extent it is understandable, but I would have almost liked them to stay the course. Now you mentioned Farban Holland, I think he did look a little bit fatigued him. And this is the young kid started five Test matches on the trot and played eighteen I think all bar one, so he has looked fatigued. And I wonder if Patrick toy but lotso not being fed has also played a part in some of these selections as well. But it almost feels like they're rushing Simon Parker in on the blind side. People might say that differently, but I think you've invested to per v. I would have stuck with him on the blind side for this Test match.
Speaker 4: It's a fair concern. Look, Simon Parker's played one Test. He's absolutely unproven at test level. I think I was probably a wee bit harsh on him on reflection that test he got through quite a power of work on defense in an all black pack that was largely beaten to the punch. But he's got everything to prove and I think it was Matt Pears, the super support commentator at the Press Currence today with Scott Robertson, talked about the spring box saying or their mantra being there's a test debut and then there's a debut against the All Blacks, and that's a very real concept in the physicality the collisions that Simon Parker and a number of this All Black team will confront this weekend.
Speaker 2: Look for me to Pervi isn't a six.
Speaker 4: I think he lacks the pace and he was probably exposed a wee bit there against the pumas he brings and upside. But if you just compare his performances last year when he really was one of the All Blacks best from Locke Scorps and also talked about today him being one of the best scrummaging locks. I just I do like the balance of the loose forderer and the second row. But you're right, maybe they have diverted the plan because why invest so much into provi Oni to make that change for this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like maybe they should have stuck with it at least this week. Clearly they've seen something in Simon Parker that from that first test when he got through a lot of work a lot of tackles. I think he had the second most meters from the All Blacks. I mean that wasn't hard on that night, given though weren't getting a lot of go forward. But big opportunity for him, I guess you can frame it that way, and a chance for him to take on that six year old Wallace. Titi comes back in at number eight. Artie Saviga has one hundredth on the open side flank. Big moment for Arti this week, as if this Test could be any bigger. You know, Artie bring up the one hundredth Test match, one hundred and second game overall. He's meant a lot to the All Blacks for nigh on a decade now and he can still deliver. You know. His consistency is one of his hallmarks, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I guess because of the normality, the magnitude of this occasion and everything else that goes with the Eden Park, the World Champions coming to town, Ardie's hundredth has very much flown under the raidar. He spoke to us to a big media pack today and I think he looked away bit uncomfortable, doesn't necessarily want the spotlight on him right now. You know, pre match the focus will certainly be on getting the victory this weekends. But if you reflect on Ardie, there's a few things.
Speaker 2: That stand out.
Speaker 4: One is his size in the land of Giants in the forward pack. He's not big, is he, but he consistently punches above his weight and has done from a young age. I think he had to prove himself and come out of the shadow of Julian and prove himself from a size perspective. And we see now his leg drive and he's grown into a real leader, hasn't he? Through Wine and PACIFICA and he's led the All Blacks in Scott Robertson's absence. So yeah, massive occasion for him this weekends, and that historically tends to bring out the best in him.
Speaker 3: It does, absolutely and he loves an occasion. We look at the performances he had from one of Pacific out this year and those big games Blues and North Harbor Stadium. A lot made of that game and the lead up basically put the team on his shoulders and got them the victory. So if he can deliver a performance like that comes Saturday night, and then the All Blacks will be well on the way to getting this victory. A couple of changes to the back line as well, from the Christie starts at half back. Cortez Rata ruled out with that ribb injury he suffered in Argentina and Nadawa on the right wing, your thoughts on both of those, I guess for phin Lake Christie next man up mentality, I mean he remarkable to think five six weeks ago, maybe a bit longer when the squad was named in Taranaki for the French series, that Phinlay Christie would be starting against the spring Box. But it's transpired that way, and I know the comparison was made to Stephen Donald today, fourth choice player in a big moment, big match, a chance for him to really deliver and show what he's capable of doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Look, if there's one era of concern for the orblexis halfback, isn't it you lose?
Speaker 2: I think if you lose.
Speaker 4: Three players in any position, can Roy Gardnahothem, Cortez Artima, You're going to be in a hole anywhere. Scott Robertson's trying to build this four four four, Well here we are she's getting an early taste of it, Finlay, Christie has never quite delivered for me on the test stage. He can get a little bit. He doesn't get overawed by an occasion, but he can get rattled his decision making a little bit at times. But as Scott Robinson said today, he's got an established combination to a degree with Boden Barrett and he's fairly unflappable character. But yeah, with Christie starting and Coyle Preston on debut on the bench, that is an area of concern for the All Blacks and Ammonia Naraua. Look, I'm happy he's getting a chance, but it's a rare chance and the All Blacks to this point have lacked faith in them, haven't they.
Speaker 2: I think this is his third test, second start.
Speaker 4: He only started earlier this year in Wellington against the French after Caleb Clark pulled out late in the week with an injury. So he's almost been a bit of a stopgap measure when they've had to go to him rather than when they've wanted to. So it is a huge occasion to throw a guy in when there's so much focus on that aerial assault that will come his way well.
Speaker 3: A lot of focus on Rico Yuani today as well, and I thought Scot Robison chose his words relatively carefully around what he expects and needs from him this weekend. Robertson, I can't have the clip to play you at the moment, but he was quite short in terms of that opportunity and the expectation that is now in Riko Youwanne and it feels like it is must deliver time for Riko Yuanni. This is his home ground, his SETI expectations on him to really deliver it. They decided to chop one of the wings and sever Reese putting in morning another. He's regod under the high ball. Riko Euan has clung onto his jusey, but the message seems to be implied that it's time to deliver, so.
Speaker 2: It's a stay of execution. It feels that way, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Because you've got Caleb Clark bloking and you have Les defying a Nuku, two ready made options. Clark's your best aerial winger, has performed really well against South Africa. He'll go away and play for Auckland this weekend and by all accounts be available for the All Blacks next week in the rematch in Wellington, so Rico's on notice and his back to the future switch from center to the wing has been unconvincing across the board, from chasing kicks to be involved with ball in hands. He has the physical attributes, but it just hasn't clicked. And you don't often see center's wings go to center and then back to the wing, do you.
Speaker 3: You don't, especially at the All Blacks, the age that the age out of that profile. I know you've written about it before, but late in their careers wings tend to not you know, produce for the All Blacks in terms of tries and therefore that's their currency. It's like batsmen and runs in cricket. That's their currency of scoring tries by and large, and often they exit around that twenty seven to twenty eight age. Looking at the bench as well, not too many surprises here. We've got to mighty Williams coming off the bench again this week, or a Lomax makes his return off the bench. A couple of great players to bring on in the last thirty thirty five minutes of the Test match as well. Fabing and Holland drops to the bench to see Kadifi Carle Preston for a day boone, then Quintepia, Damian mckint to the Backs. Not too many surprises in that all Blacks bench.
Speaker 2: No, the Backs perhaps lack a wee bit of firepower. I think.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Scott Robinson was tempted to bring Lester fighting a nooku back in. You would have gone as far as potentially starting him. You know that the argument you made was he's available, pick him, and that's very valid. I think if you weigh a two pire against fighting a nook who, there is more upside in a lister. But he only joined the camp on Sunday nights, so maybe he will come into the mixed next weekend. In terms of the Fords, it really is meet and fire will fire to mighty Williams, SAMERSONI Takyaho, who is in great form apart from his line out milkdown against the Pumas, which is probably not his fault alone. Entirole Lomax. When you talk about the box bomb squad, that is a real beefy front row to bring on, isn't.
Speaker 3: It certainly is. And Kyle Price for a debut after earning making a super rugby deboot at the start of the year. Quite a remarkable story. We don't have the Box team at time of recording. We're standing by for that, but Liam, give us a prediction, how is this going to play out Saturday night?
Speaker 4: Well, it's going to be a magic occasion. You know, we're both very fortunate to be there to witness it. It'll be a moment that will stand in time one way or the other. I think there could be could well be a bit of controversy. Who's the referee again, Old Dixon?
Speaker 2: Dixon? Which evokes a few nerves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what do I say about Car? I would just keep my powder dry until after the game. But I think I've made a thoughts clear before on this podcast about yes, Carl Dixon is an international referee recording.
Speaker 4: I think I think there are a few nerves around about how that's going to play out. Look, I'm going to stick with the prediction I've made all week that the All Blacks are going to rebound and win by three points. That's not an overly confident one. But I think this spring Box team, I won't go as far as say they're not the team they were, but they're certainly not performing to their potential. They've been in recent times have been knocked over by the Pumas as the All Blacks were. They lost at home to the Wallabies and were exposed when the Wallabies brought fatigue into the game and used a good short kicking game. So I think there is a real blueprint there. I think Wayne Smith coming into camp this week is very timely.
Speaker 3: And so Graham Henry as well popping in on chas right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I don't know whether the box, given what played out in South Africa, are going to have the confidence to play enough rugby because if they do it's a real risk. So my gut is that they'll stick largely to their strengths and I don't know if that'll that'll be enough.
Speaker 3: I think they'll stick to their strengths as well. Like I started the week with All Blacks by four, I've gone back to All Blacks by three and now I'm sitting it All Blacks by two forty eight hours out. So I said, no, I'm going I'm going to draw by Saturday I think, which was ninety four at Eden Park as well. Look, it should be a fantastic test match, looking forward to it and let's hope it delivers to the hype that has been built around it, because it feels like this has been Lions Test three and twenty seventeen, even World Cup finalist in twenty eleven in terms of the attention that has been zeroed in on this game.
Speaker 2: Let's hope it delivered. Saturday night, Yes, Strappan can't wait Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Live commentary on News Talks ABI Gold Sport iHeart Radio seven oh five on Saturday, and you can follow live blogs and all the analysis on the New Zealand Hero website as well. Until next time. This has been Rugby Direct powered by Excess Solutions.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk ZEDB, listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio