Speaker 1: Kyoto and welcome along to the Mad Monday Podcast live from the Export Beer Guard and Studio. Even though podcasts can't be live because they pre recorded and then released at later data, it is, of course all brought to you by our mates at four and twenty piles, the perfect at home snack for watching rugby league. And watch some rugby league. I certainly did this weekend, So too did Ben Hurley, who is joining me from beautiful Bay of Plenty. Ben, how are you today?
Speaker 2: Right? Listen? I was actually down very much in your nick of the words on Saturday before the game I was hosting. This is true the sixty fifth anniversary of the changing of the name from Chinese Goosebury to Kiwi Fruit Wow?
Speaker 1: Is that in too poky?
Speaker 2: It was into pookey Wow? I mean that's not That's not the surprising part.
Speaker 1: Is that an actual thing? The seller? Because I knew that it did come from Chin originally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it grew particularly well. And yeah, sort of central Bay of Plenty I would call that, even though it's technically the West, but I would call it more central Bay of Plenty. Yeah. And so sixty five years ago somebody who went, let's just call it kievy fruit because there would go grove heaps of it here.
Speaker 1: And apparently because the green ones there now obviously being you'd know this, they prefer the gold and the varieties that are more immune to PSA. But the first variety of the green one looked like a kiwi as well, and it grew really well here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked like a fuzzy bollock, but they the new ones aren't so fuzzy. No, no, no, they've had a wax.
Speaker 1: They've definitely had a wax. Beautiful though, sweet. It's kind of yellowy colored. But that's We'll just park kiwi fruit chat there. Just because one of the greatest all time Warriors played his final game for the Warriors, Ben, if you don't mind, we just moving over to the Warriors getting a win, getting a wind over the Sharks thirty point to twenty eight. What do we still play commentary bits? We don't? Okay? I went pause there then, Ben, this game I got home from a mate's thirtieth sort of halfway through it. The Warriors were down. I think we had four points. I think the Sharks had twenty odd points, and I was just like, oh man, don't let Shawney J. Go out like this. We let them score a couple of tries right before halftime. They then scored just after halftime, and it was a nice little demoralizing chunk right in the middle. After a great sort of opening twenty of US keeping them effectively scoreless, Shawney J. Ponty Metcalf threw to open things up. Familiar pattern. Start strong, they score a whole heap of tries, We get sad, except for this time we massively rallied and we came back for one of the most exciting finishes for the Wars in recent history.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's nice that another team has US as their bogey team. And it must be the Sharks, right, yea, because they lose in the last minute of the last couple of minutes to US a lot of times throughout NERL history, and it's usually Sean Johnson that that does it. And yeah, it's incredible that he was able to turn it on for his last game. And when I say turned it on, he turned it on for about fifteen to twenty minutes. It was good throughout the game, but then he just turned into well he tended to Sean Johnson from twenty twenty three for the last fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: That's right, that right side really just elevated itself. I can't help but like, and that's what was so crucial to Sean's success last season is it wasn't just him getting the ball in us being like, Sean, please fix things for us. It was him getting the ball in space with plenty of runners around him, plenty of options around him, and that was starting to happen last night towards the end of the game. One thing we mentioned, man iron I mentioned at the end of last week was we're be sort of reluctance to put Charms anywhere other than fullback, But then for this final game, he puts Charms at right center and tame to a Picky who had an absolute blinder a full back again, and Chars is just so good at, you know, making sure the ball goes through the hands and slotting in that right side just instantly came back to life again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like it. I like Chans and center, and I think that's what should happen next year. And we've got a couple of options at fallback, including a Roger to be vasa shit.
Speaker 1: Well, that's honestly chance at right center, Roger at left center, or maybe on the wing, and we've got it. We've got to let tur Perkey play fullback in my opinion, because he's almost like he's almost like keano' Kenney for the Titans. He's like a small like Defensively, he's pretty plucky, but he can get smoked by someone massive. But he's so small and electric that if we've got these dynamic players that people are thinking twice about, like Metcalf, and all of a sudden, you've got tur Pekey with even an inch of space, he can make you pay.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love this kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, it was just it was a wonderful win, and I don't want to take anything away from it because it was. It was one hell of a game to watch, but it was frustrating that did just seem like a game from last season where you know, backs against the World wore the wall rather and the Warriors come up with a clutch play and ice a game, which is just the thing that's been missing all year, just so many you know, two and four point losses all year and this this week didn't happen.
Speaker 1: I know, right, if we could flip the switch on all those like close games games we lost with in about six points would have been a very different position on the on the table. Look a lot of people. I gotta say it was probably Delan Way Tennis Alesniak. When we talk about the twenty twenty three season, he had just an absolute blind to set the club record for tries scored. This season, he hasn't been that level and it hasn't just been his fault, but his form hasn't been to that high standard. I would actually say even though he scored a butler to tries in general, like he's running the ball back, his contesting and stuff. I would say Dellan saved his almost his best game of the season until the very last game.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, another key component of what made last year successful was was him scoring in the corner, and he did it three times in this game.
Speaker 1: Just mean and like he could have even had four. Like he was chasing hard for a great grabber from Shawn Johnson early on in the game as well. So it's just tenacity and bringing the ball out of our own end as well. I think Dyllan he really stepped things up. I loved Ali Layer Tow I had one of the most exciting runs. I've seen it a long time, bringing it out of our own half as well, smoking Niko Hines, putting him on his back and then running and bumping off a few more dudes, eventually getting rid of Will Kennedy as well. I think he to be honest, I think he will be in left center next season.
Speaker 2: He's head and Pompey as well. And we do need a kicker.
Speaker 1: Remember lay Tower can kick, sorry not la taint toe pick. You can kick. He's he's a really good kicker. I reckon he's almost he's pretty clutch too.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you put your chips on on tour, Picky. I like it.
Speaker 1: A big fan, a two pekeasy, you know. And I'm probably going to crow bar my name into his next season when he's leading the Warriors in.
Speaker 2: Adam, when he doesn't play for the Wars anymore.
Speaker 1: Surely, well that's the thing he's going to be leaving, so I have to crow bar my name it to someone Else's a lot, a lot, a lot to like. Obviously. At the end of this game, Sean Johnson just every time anything happened, whether it was good or it was bad, he had a giant grin on his face, and I think one of the keys to him actually playing so well in that final sort of twenty minutes was he was actually, this is my last game. I'm just going to have fun, and everything's fun. We're playing a game, and it almost led to the team playing a far more I don't know, laid back but fun style of footy, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we're going to talk about the Stonker of the Round in a minute. It had a very similar feel to that, not quite as dramatic, and it was a successful comeback as opposed to that one. But yeah, both those games it just looked like touch footage towards the end.
Speaker 1: It did, especially the Stokers over eighty points scored. It was absolutely ridiculous. One of the things I'm so Sean's final pass right throws that massive pass, skips new Cordeck, throws it right out to the wing, Dallan steps and then scores right on the buzz are very exciting. I swear that's the first time he's throwing that pass all season. Why the hell haven't we been doing that more often?
Speaker 2: Actually, that's another player who I thought had the best game of the season was Manada neiir Courdy, he's had a quiet year. It hasn't been terrible, it just hasn't been great. And I thought he had a real, real staunch game.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. He's having a staunch game, and he's there for that short ball that Shawn Johnson loves doing, and he goes, nah, I'm gonna skip through a harbor bridge right out to Dellan and now he's going to retire just as he's gone. I've actually got this in my arsenal. We could be doing this more often if you guys want it right. So I was a bit frustrated by that. You're right, new Cardy had a great game. He went off for an haa, clearly got knocked out, but he managed to dribe his way back onto the field, which was great. Another thing I'm a bit sad about is seeing how cool that the dynamic between Sean Johnson and Luke Metcalf. With Metcalf's running game on the left, he's got a great passing game. Skip pass out to Marcella to score a try. Very exciting. I just wish that both of them hadn't been so injury played. That could have been just such a dynamic halves pairing for two seasons.
Speaker 2: Now. Yeah, A really good point actually, because as much as I love to Mardy Martin and you know, let's be fair, he probably had a better game a year at seven than J did. Yeah, but him and ESJ just didn't seem to gel but as a as a halves pairing, so they had to split them up. And it was so nice to see him and Metcalfe together that first try, the first wards try the lovely little inside boarded Luke metcalf and he's got some gas.
Speaker 1: He's super fast man. His support play is excellent. I love how dangerous he is going to be next year out on the left side. It's just going to be about who we've got at half back to pair with him with mighty right to do we give the keys to seven year old Jet Cleary. I mean, like I've been saying it on the Thursday Pod for a while now, just give them the keys, man, Like these young players are stepping up, they aren't afraid, they are gutsy and we need a half. His last name is Clary. What more do I need to I don't want to sit see his CV. I just need to see his last name on paper.
Speaker 2: You're very focused on the young players coming through, Chris, There's some there's some great experienced heads that need that need to play the proper positions. Yeah, need to play.
Speaker 1: I think it's been a whole season of we'll be like holding the experienced heads and letting them hold their positions, and we've just been losing and it's not their fault at all. But I think I'm just like I need to see these young people. And every time a young player comes through, they always have a blinder for us, like Zyomo who comes on and like you know, smashes people and runs it off the back fence and things like that and taint too a picky. For example, it was it roach Ow Hooker that came on for one or two games. Was excellent, Like, these young guys are so talented, exactly DEMITRICSI for Cooler when he had a shocker, but he also had a couple of really good games for us and Laban Laban, Oh yeah, see these guys he.
Speaker 2: Went, they didn't give him another run. I thought he had two great games.
Speaker 1: He was the guy that got punched in the face a couple of weeks ago from old mate from the Raiders. That's right, and then he's kind of horse Horsebury.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe he's got facial issues. I don't think so, maybe it's Yeah, it sounds like.
Speaker 2: That, sounds like someone spoiling for a fight. Have you got facial issues? Bro?
Speaker 1: And if someone does, it's definitely Corey Hawsebrough.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Mitcalf snapped off a droppy late in the game, a two point attempt. He's got a great kick on him. So that's good to keep in mind because we need to clutch player. We've been giving it to c HT Harris Tavina and he's just not that clutch guy. He's a great player, solid defensively, but he just can't see all those clutch moments. I reckon, Mitcalf's the guy. And as as mentioned earlier by me, tay to a Picky is also gutsy enough to you know, one of those two being our go drop goal kickers moving forward, I think would be smart.
Speaker 2: Have you heard my plan for Cht by the way?
Speaker 1: Oh no, what was this?
Speaker 2: I think he needs to put on ten kgs of muscle and play a ball playing thirteen because he's such a good defensive player, and I reckon he could go into the back row and if.
Speaker 1: He bomped up a bit, that's a that's a great shout actually, like a Dylan Walker type role because he loves going to the dark places. Can we lose Walker or he's going Well, there was rumors around him leaving because we haven't resigned for next year and he was one part of the crew of people who are leaving. But it hasn't been announced where he's going yet.
Speaker 2: I don't think in same with Jazz, we don't know where he's going yet. Talk about Jams. By the way, j Jas had a great game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nice for him to finish on a high as well. Saw Johnson's last game ever. But also like, let's not forget Jazz Tevanga, who's just been at the club for over a decade, through various teams and come up to the ranks. I am going to miss him, Like there's things about him I'm not going to miss. But you can't, you know, you can't deny the fact that he's always come off the bench and really added some spark for us.
Speaker 2: Well, ironically, he's been much more disciplined this year, so that was the thing that always got in the way. But he's been way out this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's too late. Like it's when you're in trouble. You know, you've got detention at lunchtime. You're trying to be a good boy now to make up for it. You know, it's like, unfortunately, it's just yeah.
Speaker 2: Doing all your homework for the first time ever of the year and it's parent teacher night.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, so you've got to do it for the whole year a couple of let me know what you think about this. For some reason, right, Shawn Johnson last season pretty much the dali m this season. Injury issues, you know, plaguing him the whole season, worries not clicking. Something in my brain is saying, Sean Johnson isn't done playing NRL yet?
Speaker 2: What is that? Weird?
Speaker 1: Do do you get that vibe?
Speaker 2: Like what would he do?
Speaker 1: Stacy Jones? Did he or did he not return to the Warriors?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Horribly, Yeah, this is the way he needs to go out. If he takes a short term, one year contract with the Titans or something like that, I will absolutely lose my shit.
Speaker 1: But I could just see like next season, right picture of this, we rebuild. Things are looking really great. He spends that year like just chill and recover and doing podcasts that out as good as this one. And then a year lad he goes you know what stuff it They could really use me to come back because he won't. How old is how old was Shawn John's He won't be that old. Let me just google here or thirty four? Has he thirty four? He's thirty three? Yes, he's in our flag that that's not happening.
Speaker 2: I mean he's not Karen Forrence having quite a good year. By the way, he's in his early forties.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, he's got some of the best ball playing in the in the entire competition. Still old old fozz. So I mean something that tells me that how good he was last year, the injury nigols this year. If he spends a year like getting into great shape and the Warriors really like look like they're going to do something, something tells me he might come back. I don't know why, like not straight into the starting side, but just something. I don't know what it is. It's just a little hunch. And before we move on, one of my favorite things about this game, obviously Seawn Johnson final game, where's winning all that was great. Very start of the game. The whistle hasn't even gone yet. There's a big guard of honor for Cam McInnis. It's playing his two hundredth game, and it like it zooms in and it's like he's adorable little children, and then it pans up to his beautiful wife and then it comes across to him and he's got teeth missing, kid tape on, a cutover his eye already in the game hasn't even started. I was like, yes, that's a footy player, that kid right there, and I just absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: And speaking of wives, shout out to Kayla Collen, Seawan Johnson's wife with the best crowd sign of the year, saying I still get to play with Sean Johnson. If you've ever met Kayla, she's a delightful, quite funny in her own right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's very very bubbly. Indeed, do you reckon? She sort of stopped herself from saying I still get to play with his Seawn Johnson.
Speaker 2: I think there was probably there was definitely a discussion about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she found the right spot, so she did bloody well. But huge shout to Sean Johnson. Thank you so much for you know, he's almost of that BEINGI Marshal Mold where kids are going to be looking at highlights of hers for years to come. And if you ever need to show someone the game of NRL and whit's excellent, you look up Seann johnson highlights and you show them and you go, this is the best game in the world. So big shout to Sean Johnson, shout to the Warriors for ending the season on a big win. We're just going to go to an ad. When we come back, though, we will take a look at the stonker of the round, which, believe it or not, was between the Eels and the Dragons. Welcome back to the Mad Monday Podcast from the Export Beer Garden Studio. Got a four and twenty pie in one hand, a pint of water on the other hand. That it's time to rip into the Stalker of the Round. It was the Eels getting a surprise victory over the Dragons forty four points to forty been. This was the Stalker of the round, which is, you know, the most exciting game of the round non Warriors of course. However, it was also if you lined up all the games and I had to point at one that I was going to not watch it would have been this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're two teams that I don't necessarily click with. I know you're a bit of an Eels fan. Yeah, but the Eels have had a very similar season to the Warriors, I mean even worse. But you know, they've got talent across the park. They had, you know, the Grand finalists two years ago. They should really, they should really been doing a lot better than they are, but they've just they've lost a lot of games, by not a lot they they've they've they've had some wins against some pretty good teams as well, but just haven't seemed to win the easy ones.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, they're annoying the Eels because they've been shocking all season and like Mitch Moses hasn't been there for a large portion of the season as well. They're like Jermaine Hopgood for example, there's a few players like this who they've been lacking. Mike a. Cibo has been out of the team. But as you say, across the park, they are still on paper a freaking excellent team and for some reason they've decided to start winning games late in the season now that it doesn't actually matter, which is quite interesting. But I will put them in a group of four teams and I want to see if you agree with me. Here you've got the Eels, the Titans, You're oh sorry, you're Titans, the Cowboys, and the Roosters are the fourth team. Teams that rely on outscoring their opponents, but a terrible on defense. What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think that's a pretty good assessment. My Cowboys, thank you very much. Definitely did that against the Storm B team. I know, right in this in this round, but we should probably recap the game. So it was it was forty four points to forty in the end, but with ten minutes to go it was forty four points to twelve.
Speaker 1: So they scored. The Dragons scored twenty eight points in the final ten, so twenty eight and ten minutes, it was essentially and they just started doing stuff like running it on the fifth and try and Ben putting in these great kicks and things like that, and just playing with absolute disregard. Tyrrel Sloane actually had a really good game. And I don't like him really as a bloke.
Speaker 2: I don't know him neither to be fair well as well as you would by the sound of things. But he is one of those players that looks incredible and he's running in full flight. Yeah, you know, like like Billy Slater did or something like that. You know he I mean his name sounds like a female porn star. We all know that Tyrrell Sloane. Like you, if you're missus the knowing him at rugby League and saw Tyrrel Sloan was in your history, you'd be in trouble.
Speaker 1: You'd be in huge trouble.
Speaker 2: But no, you're right. They just they came alive. And I'm never seen a game. I don't think I've ever seen a game this high, scoring eighty four points unless it's a blowout. I've never seen that many tries in a game.
Speaker 1: Well, how about like the Dragons, for example, Shane Flanagan, Who's they've really stepped up their defense right. They are a bit more of a gutsy, gritty team this season. And this is a team who are in eighth position. We're in eighth position on the ladder and we're fighting to be back in the finals again for the first time in bloody ages. And they led in forty four points to one of the worst teams in the entire competition.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, having watched that game, I don't know if the Dragons do make the eight, if they will be absolutely embarrassed now you know, blow it away the top teams in the in the first week, or because of that comeback. Does that mean that there's something there, There's a spark, there's if they can harness that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's I always noticed this that there are teams in the top eight, right Melbourne Penrith, those are probably the only two after the Roosters lost to the Raiders. There are teams in the top eight. When they play a bad team, you know they are going to put forty or fifty on them. You know it's going to be an ass kicking. Then there are teams in the top eight, like the Sharks and the Dragons, who if they play a bottom team, you're not that confident that they are actually going to win it. They just they drop their level down to match whatever team they're playing. And I feel that the Dragons are like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good point. Let's actually look at that ladder now. Now, even though the Warriors are done, there is another round, so.
Speaker 1: You're gonna say there's a chance we can get in.
Speaker 2: No, No, there is a chance. We just need about six teams to have massive salary cap breaches and lose all their points by the Bulldogs did that year and then and then we might sneak under the eighth.
Speaker 1: Well, because you've got the Dolphins, the Knights, the Dragons and the Raiders are all on twenty eight right now. Yes, so they're on twenty eight points and they're all vying for that eighth position. How we're but this weekend you've got two of those teams going head to head, the Knights and the Dolphins. Two of those four are playing one another, right, so one of them is going to go to thirty and the other one's going to go to I was going to stay on twenty eight unless there's a draw and then they're both on twenty nine, and which case the Raiders could win and jump up or the Dragons could win and jump up.
Speaker 2: But the Dolphins, if there is a you know, a tie of points. The Dolphins have easily the best.
Speaker 1: Points differential, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are positive seven and the next best is the Knights currently at negative forty eight miles away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've all just had horrific defeats throughout the season, which is when it comes back to bite you. But if you had to pick one of those four sides Dolphins, Knights, Dragons or Raiders to actually do damage in the postseason, who would be.
Speaker 2: Well based on the other game this round that was really interesting, which was Dolphins Broncos, I'd say the Dollies.
Speaker 1: How like Wayne Bennett leaving the Dolphins, comes in, has two great seasons, punching above average and then above what we were expecting of them, and then goes to Sun Court. The Broncos, who were playing to try and keep some sort of glimmer of hope alive this year, goes there and puts forty on them, where the Dolphins side was so many intes, like it's just it's just ridiculous. So you go Dolphins. I'd probably go nights just because of the Klan Pong effector that's the only reason. And last season how they went on that hot run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember who ended that hot run, and you know it was the Warriors by thirty odd points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: I feel like if they sneak in the same thing's going to happen this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be honest, any of those four teams, it's likely going to be one and done in terms of going into the next round. They'll play a top two, they'll get knocked out, likely, but still exciting to get up there, and I wish we're in the same position. Let's just have a quick look at a few other things that happened in the Nral' just quickly been Melbourne. They gave your Queensland Cowboys a bit of trouble with eleven of their players out and you guys had to square I think thirty eight to thirty was it in order to beat a Melbourne B side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I mean the Cowboys have been running very hot and cold. They had a wonderful start of the season and I think that's the only reason they're kind of still in the eighth after I think they won their first five or six games and then you know, having a hot start loa that really helps. Then you can kind of cruise along at fifty to fifty after that and still end up with the eight. So look, Vale Holmes is leaving the Cows at the end of this at the end of this season, so maybe there's some sense of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's been a gun for them for for a few years. Now he's going to the Dragons. Of course, your guys, team is just once again, it's like the Eels, like full of guns, and on any given day they could go on a ten game losing streak or they could go on a ten game, teen game blow every and out of the water streak. It's so bizarre. But do you know what the concerning thing is. I think if the Warriors played the Cowboys this week we would have lost as well. And that's fielding like a healthy team, whereas Melbourne gets sort of eleven of them starters and they still like that. They're guys like Tyrone Wishart, who is a genuine superstar. You know, he's like the almost the Nico Heines of a couple of years ago. There's this diamond they've unearthed from off the bench of the Melbourne Storm of who was in any other team he'd be starting and one of their best players, you know, and these guys are balling me brings through. They're just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: What's the who's the other fullback that played well? Peppinhouse far long, far long o.
Speaker 1: Now so, where the hell did he come from exactly as a.
Speaker 2: Backup full back that you have the luxury of not playing well.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. He wouldn't even be there if Nicko Hines was still the backup pheelback.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's just ridiculous. It's just the Yeah, the the convey about of talent through Melbourne. Another big talking point. Manly absolutely put the cleaners through the Dogs. I was actually picking the Dogs their defense to out muscle Manly because the offense focused and the Dogs are defense focused. But they didn't.
Speaker 2: He might be peaking at the right time. This don't look like a pretty good football team.
Speaker 1: But but you give the news a huge but Tom Traboyevich, a Grade three AC joint injury, won't play next round, but apparently is aiming to return and Week one of the finals. Unfortunately, for Manly, so much of their offense a lot it just runs through him, not as much as it used to, like over the last few years, because they've got so many new guns like Lehipo Hopowarti and like Cooler Tommy to low these guys, but it's still pivots around Tom Turbo and also Daily Cherry Evans. That's a huge loss I think going into these finals, if he can't come back in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think many are a chance without him. To be honest, he's been the difference. He came back and they started winning games. I mean, that's that's right. It's one plus one eres two.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, it really is. So Unfortunately, unless he can pull up and you don't want to rush tom back just because of injury history, and if he can't pull up, Manly, I'm putting a line through them as well. Huge news for the Roosters. So not as impactful as Tommy to Manly, but Sam Walker he's done his acl and he is expected to miss six to nine months and probably won't be back till about round ten of next season. After having a season I'd say second to only Jerome Hughes. He's probably been the next best halfback, the most consistent, and the Roosters are very potent and they've got a lot of talent around him. But that is huge for the Roosters going into the finals. I think that takes a big chunk out of their chances too.
Speaker 2: So here's my real question, and I've sort of been mentioning this every time I've been on the pod, but are there really only two teams that can win this? Like an actuality, Let's just be honest. Are there two teams?
Speaker 1: Look, I don't want to at the start of the season, I'm going, nah man, this thing's wide open. Halfway through the season, nah man. As soon as the worries are out of contention, that's when I come to grips with the reality and say, no one is beating I think Melbourne's going to win it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've been saying that for weeks. It's been really, really even and Melbourn's been hiad and shoulders above really the rest of the pack other than Penrith, you know, even Penlanths had some weird losses, including to us.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, and Melbourne beat Penrith in that matchup a few weeks back. They just, you know, they showed they could go there, not only win, but go to Penrith and win as well, which is gutsy. They also are the Roosters also have lost Brandon Smith who's ruptured his acl as well, so he's the same as he is the same as Sam Walker, and they also lost Victor Radley four to eight weeks with a shelter to shoulder direct contact mechanism. He fractured his scapula, which is a shoulder blade hang on.
Speaker 2: So Victor Radley is out of the team and it's not a suspension.
Speaker 1: That's right. Usually he's the one causing the injury. He's out four to eight weeks with a fractioned shoulder, So losing him in thirty or I think he's been playing on the in the back row, but him, Sam Walker and Brandon Smith, that is a huge chunky or almost almost just buying in your engine room of how the Roosters attack as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been They've been nice team to watch this year. Actually, I thought I fell out of love with the Roosters a few years ago because I thought they've been going quite a grubby team. Yeah, they seem to have cleaned a lot of that up and just playing quite nice football. And I think i'd rate seam Walker massively.
Speaker 1: Same, he's a gun. I think they've cleaned it up. They particularly clean this week because Jared Way Hargreaves is serving a band Oh yeah, and it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it doesn't help when he's Jared Hargraves and Victor Radley in you.
Speaker 1: So that's right. You just need Heatherington on your side, and you've got the Big Three of giving away massive penalties for head highs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kane Evans coming off the bench.
Speaker 1: Kan Evans. Oh, he I'd kill to him back. All right, let's wrap things up for the final Mad Monday Monday episode for twenty twenty four. And what an eventful season it has been. It has been a roller coaster. It's something we need to really now, like we've got to buy this week the Warriors do we can just watch some footy with no stakes on the line. Obviously Hurley will be watching the Titans pretty closely still and still getting pretty rived up for them. But what we're going to do, Ben, I see if you know, actually, I'm not even gonna lie. This was your idea and I'm now pretending like I'm just pitching it to you. We should all get in one room and just talk out the season at some stage soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to do our Teams of the Year compete from anywhere. If there's any you know, any Warriors on that side, it's probably Mitch Bonnett and that's it.
Speaker 1: But I'll picking of course, Oh yeah, of course, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll get room and sort of wrap up the season now that the Warriors done. I believe we are commentating the Grand Final. That's rightday in October.
Speaker 1: The first Sunday in October, which is bloody exciting, the Panthers taking on the Store, I mean the winner. Who it could be anyone. It could still be the Knights or the Dragons or the Raiders. We just don't know.
Speaker 2: Bulldogs Dragons final.
Speaker 1: What an absolute vintage slog is that would be be massively into that though. So we are doing the Grand Final. Keep an ear out a little likely beyond Skysport nine, but we will be commentating that one and we will over the next couple of weeks figure out a day to all get together in one room myself, Mania, Diehindred and Ben Hurley as well and just talk over the season. I love the idea of your favorite team of the year with all your best players and a few other things like that's keep an eye out on socials for that. Otherwise, thanks heeps for listening to the Mad Monday Podcast for another year, and we will be back ready to go next season as well. Thank you very much, Ben Hurley.
Speaker 2: God bless Jay and God bless you Kiz.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, and jazz and jazz.
Speaker 2: Australia without league and Australia without rugby league is not Australia.