Speaker 1: Jelda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is a special episode off the front page on location at New Zealand's first ever Ikea store. So we have been lucky enough to get exclusive access to Ikea before the door's open on December fourth, that's this Thursday, and we're here on immedia Day, so we get to look through the store and speak to some people involved.
Speaker 1: We'll be speaking to IKEA's country.
Speaker 2: Communications manager for Australia and New Zealand about what we should expect after Thursday, what kind of products we'll be able to look at, and what Ikea is really about. And we're also talking to Quantum Jump CEO Ben Goodor about the marketing behind Ikea and what really makes it special. So Ben, we are lucky enough to be in Ikea the week that it opens.
Speaker 1: First off, I mean, can you believe this? Can you believe that this is your life right now? How excited are you?
Speaker 3: I'm very driving here this morning. I just felt this build up of like, oh my god, I'm going to Ikea and it's it's you know, it's a Monday morning and it opens on Thursday officially, and coming in you were seen as motorway signs announcing that IQ is opening on Thursday. You're warning you about the traffic. And then around Sylvia A partners signs up saying ike in this way, and you go, wow, but it's a real place.
Speaker 1: It's like Christmas coming early.
Speaker 2: Now I should mention, actually we've got Tom rain now or Raynel, sorry Tom, I now pronunciation of that earlier that I was fancying it up a bit.
Speaker 1: He's from Harold Business. Now.
Speaker 2: We came up with an idea in the office, a bit of a joke. Let's get Tom to construct a flat pack for us. He was bragging about how good he is at it, and we thought, why don't we get him.
Speaker 1: In the background, everyone was laughing.
Speaker 2: We actually asked Ikea to get us something for Tom to build, and they obliged. Tom, what have you got?
Speaker 1: I have the shoe rack called Macapacker.
Speaker 2: Mac packa shoe rack, and let's just put some money on it. Just first and how a how much do you want to bet?
Speaker 1: And when do you reckon?
Speaker 2: How long is it going to take.
Speaker 3: You to do I'll put fifty dollars in.
Speaker 1: You're going to put fifty bucks down? It was pay day on Friday.
Speaker 3: It was thank God for that, I would not be betting.
Speaker 2: And how long do you reckon it's going to take? I mean, do you know nothing about this?
Speaker 1: I know absolutely nothing about it. I have worked at a furniture store before, so I do have some experience building furniture. Maybe not this type of furniture.
Speaker 3: I'd say hopefully ten twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: Ten to twelve minutes, give myself a wide band. Well, Ben, do you want to count down so we can we can have our chat. You count down Tom and we'll let him get get underway.
Speaker 3: Sure, count from five, five, four, three, two, one go.
Speaker 2: So Ben. I saw a few marketing and ads on the way here as well, and I thought it was quite interesting.
Speaker 1: Actually, I saw one from the warehouse.
Speaker 2: Did you see that one?
Speaker 3: Welcoming my eyes? I was turning corners of hiring my Ikea or something like that. I didn't see.
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: The rest was too small to read. But going interesting because I thought the warehouse or advertising Ikea, that's quite bold. It's arguably it's a marketing no not but but you know.
Speaker 2: Hey, I mean I would have thought that as well, And that's what I really wanted to ask you. Also, it's like even when other brands are getting and I think I saw one from AA Insurance as well, saying we ensure the XX drawers from Ikea or something. So how big is this Ikea opening for the warehouse arguably one of their competitors, to be welcoming them to the market.
Speaker 3: Well, that's interesting because an away, but I guess they're trying to associate themselves with ike rather than pretending it's not happening and almost get the you know, the noise around Ikea this week next week is just going to be huge. The expectation, as we were talking about earlier as has been enormous getting towards opening date. So for them, I guess going, well, if you can't beat and join them, and how do we come in and impose ourselves into the biggest marketing launch of the year.
Speaker 1: I thought that was quite interesting.
Speaker 2: Do you think that they're because Ikea is such a huge stores about the size of three Rugby fields, I'm told, and there are thousands of thousands of products seven and a half thousand or something in saying like that, is there something that the warehouse is going to have that Ikea doesn't, Well, they have groceries it's true toilet paper they.
Speaker 3: You know, like I mean, there's crossover, but they are very very different stores and the warehouse can never be the Swedish juggernaut that Ikea is, but equally so, it probably only actually impacts about fifteen percent of their ranging, so you know different.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the Ikea marketing and the kind of the hype that has been built. We've lust spoken September and since then it's just gotten more and more talked about. What do you think makes Ikea so special?
Speaker 3: Well, I think one of the things is it's it's it's validation that New Zealanders have finely arrived on the global map for Ikea, and you know, it is a genuine global retail phenomenon. And I think what makes it special is but it's it's so successful. It's so iconic, you know people. I think we've talked about before. You know, so many people have got Ikea products in our homes, becauld have brought back from overseas or they've shipped in in some way, and it's like now it's actually here, you know, And it is I think because maybe because of that scandic edge as well, it just has so much more credibility and magic about it.
Speaker 2: Well, just because because of the Swedish element, it just immediately seems cooler.
Speaker 3: It does the fields. You can see the mist because if the Viking long ship's coming through.
Speaker 2: In terms of I guess Ikea and I mean, why do you think it's taken so long for us to get an Ikea store down here?
Speaker 3: Well, partner, you just said it. We're a long way from anywhere. I was actually looking up, and we're one of the smaller nations to have an Ikea, but there are tiny places like Iceland, Cyprus, Latvia, Estonia, they've all had Ikea before us, and so we are very much I wouldn't say we were in an afterthought, but it's taken a long time because I guess the cost for them, and you expirence thought when we drove in this morning and you look around and you look at the you know, everything had to bring. They've had to bring that all a long way to set up the system and for possibly just one Ikea to serve all of New Zealand. So I think they've probably waited until they they could do it well. And I mean certainly they've have been so smart, like with the whole way. They've got their distribution plans, so you could be in christ Church and you can order it to be shipped because they never used to do that years ago if they didn't deliver, And so that's been an evolution of the IQ offering.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, And I wonder as well whether there is a market for you know, some Tom's out there now to be able to do your flat pack furniture and everything, because that's what they've got in other countries as well.
Speaker 3: At Yeah, it is, and I think that there will be smart kids and Tom could build career, you know, like great pocket money earners, you know, like I would imagine people can advertise their services flat packs set up and you know, teenagers who want to make a few bucks be brilliant, you know, great pocket money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd give a teenager probably fifty bucks to build.
Speaker 1: Something for me.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 1: How are we going? We're about four minutes in.
Speaker 2: You look at this, I mean this is coming together pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: It's pretty fancy.
Speaker 1: How FASTY are you still confident?
Speaker 2: I'm still gonfl I think how we're done for time? We're on just on four minutes.
Speaker 1: I mean we're a third of the way done. Third way through the time, I think it's okay, what are you.
Speaker 3: Actually looking quite.
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 3: My I here bookshelf.
Speaker 2: All you have to all you have to tell him is that he's going to be filmed and on camera, and you know it won't fust you anything.
Speaker 1: You can come round and do it for free. So in terms of so we've spoken.
Speaker 2: About the warehouse, do you reckon any other furniture stores are going to amp up their marketing now as well?
Speaker 3: Well? I think if they're smart, they do, and they need to, and probably a bit like the warehouse. Do you lean in or do you lean back?
Speaker 2: And what's a key we way I think to be welcoming. Hey, that's quite clever about what I thought about that ad.
Speaker 3: But what would be interesting? Yes? Yes, absolutely, but I think if you're yes, say, I mean the ones who are going to be most impacted of furniture retailers and they so for them. Do they aligned themselves with if you can't find it to Ikea, remember about us find it here, all price pointing or whatever, so you know, because they don't, these other places won't want the everyone to forget about them because they're all racing to Ikea. And it's not say, you know, you might not find exactly what you want here, you might find it in another store. So I guess if I was doing the marketing for a furniture retailer, I'd be going, how can I line up? And being in that zone of consideration and not forgotten about.
Speaker 2: And in terms of I guess, what do you reckon that there's any coincidence that Ikea is opening the week after the Black Friday sales, arguably the biggest sales event of the retail year.
Speaker 3: I hadn't thought of that, I think. I mean, I think probably for them, they've been on a race to open and probably open this year so that they can get in before Christmas. I mean, it's going to be how many people are going to be getting something from Ikea thiss Christmas.
Speaker 2: Even if it's appealer or something, just something.
Speaker 3: From the marketplace here. So yeah, maybe maybe get Black Friday out of the way, because it's going to be all that retail bars we've just been living through and then yeah, this is the new white space.
Speaker 2: What so we've got I KA, Now what do you reckons next?
Speaker 1: What other big brand.
Speaker 2: Overseas are we going to get? We spoke about Chemist Warehouse obviously as a massive Australian brand that's really taking a hold in our market now as well, and they've got that really big brand presence also, Hey, the colors and the slightly offensive to the eyes, all of them, the marketing and the tickets and everything as well.
Speaker 1: What do you reckons next?
Speaker 3: What's good question, because what are we missing? I mean, in a way, Ike and Costo have felt like sort of last pieces of the major retailing jitsaw.
Speaker 2: Because I can see someone, have we done it well done?
Speaker 1: Seven minutes?
Speaker 2: Toughing because there's a lot of audience clapping behind me, so you can't hit them on camera, but they're doing.
Speaker 3: Well phenomenal top I mean, yeah, actually quite impressed with that. I'm happy with myself to have a look at the that's a pretty fine looking.
Speaker 2: There anything left over?
Speaker 1: Have you missed any four bolts?
Speaker 2: But they're actually to extend it if you want to, so you can take off the top lane just by the rack itself, screw these on and lift it up and add more lanes. And does that actually say that in the you made that so well done?
Speaker 1: I'll expect that fifty dollars back in the office.
Speaker 2: I believe if you relook at the tape, I didn't actually agree to fifty dollars. You were going to agree, you were probably gonna have to give.
Speaker 3: Me a home.
Speaker 1: You be the judge agreed to that or not, And.
Speaker 2: We'll get Richard to go back and edit in the bit where I don't know if we need that.
Speaker 3: We thank you very much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: So what WI the next big brand?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What are we missing?
Speaker 3: I think I think there are a lot of global fashion retailers for that aren't here, more than the big box retailers, because I mean it's unlikely. You know, we're not going to get a Walmart because we had the warehouse. You know, we we you know, there's there's always that thing about the government would love Audi to come here so we have another supermarket place I would love.
Speaker 2: I email the Audi team at least once every quarter to ask them if they're going to come here, and every time they're like, no, there are no players I'm in.
Speaker 3: The reality is I'm from a supermarket point of view. It's so complex to set up in a new market, and much more complex than ire just with their shipping piece. So I think it's very unlikely we get NOWADI very unlikely we get another major supermarket retailer here, but fashion brands, yes, I think we talked before. I mean, I have personal favorites. I love visiting when I'm overseas, like Desigual which is Spanish, or Body which is Italian.
Speaker 2: And Adelaide got a unique cloth. Ah, so that's a big part of my every time I go home for Christmas, that's a big part of that, going to Uniglo.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there are definitely those places that you go.
Speaker 2: I remember actually before Adelaide, and this is when I was growing up, before we got a Krispy Kreme. We'd go to Melbourne and there'd be a Krispy Kreme in the airport, and so every flight from Melbourne to Adelaide you'd go into the overheads and there would be boxes of twenty packs, forty packs of Krispy Kremes. And that's the kind of because we didn't have it, yes, and everyone got Krispy Kremes whenever anybody came home from Melbourne or Sydney, you know, So what is that? And I'm struggling to think, what is that thing that we don't have that we really want, Like an idea like a Krispy Kream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because recently we got Sephora, which would take in a long time time. I mean, Victoria's secret is interesting, you know. I think I read recently there is going to be one coming back to the airport. I think I don't know if they're going to open up in Central Aukland, but that they are. But but that is but that is a global phenomenon. So yeah, I think I think it's more it is apparel. And you know, are we missing any burger joints that we desperately need to have? Probably not? And yeah, and yeah, maybe a uniclobe would be interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much, Beanna. What are you most excited for today? Because we've just come in, we've we've sat down at our little little desk here. Is there anything that you're specifically looking forward to seeing.
Speaker 3: In the store or or you just hoping I'd mention the meatballs?
Speaker 2: Everyone The meatballs is you know, given. But what's your favorite part about coming to an Ike store?
Speaker 3: I think I mean there's two piece. I think the it is really tall to see the furnishings because you know, they have that Scandinavian vibe and so it's just for little touches, which make them a little bit more interesting than what you might get.
Speaker 4: Down the road.
Speaker 3: But I think the era I was my fascinators the marketplace because it's it's like an Aladdin's cave of goodies that you may or may not need for your for your kitchen or your home, whether it's glasses or some clever little device that they've invented. It's a great place to buy picture frames. I sound like an advert.
Speaker 1: Now this is the part just before you get to the checkout.
Speaker 2: Say yeah, and I remember this part because this is the part usually when my mum goes insane and then I lose her like a child, like a three year ong child, and she comes back with candles.
Speaker 3: With candles, I've got rubs, they've got picture frames, mirrors, they've got everything you need for your kitchen, and you can just just have fun mooching around and there. You don't even need to see everything else in IQ. You just go there and that'll be the Christmas the Christmas present place'll be. They'll have Christmas decoration, so again, probably lots of people that have little ike Christmas trees for your or little ike ornaments.
Speaker 2: And last time we spoke Ben you actually, I think it was the phrase opening day fanatic, so you came to the opening of Costco. You famously went to the opening of the London for his first Ikea London store.
Speaker 1: Will you be coming back on Thursday?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm thinking about it. I've got to work out how to get here and avoid the traffic. So someone said I could get trained, which would be a whole novel Idea and their walk round. So I think, because I think it will be the buzz and the excitement and just seeing I think just to come through an experience, So diary permitting, Yes, I will be here.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that you're going to move some few things around.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for coming with us. Great to be here.
Speaker 2: We're now joined by Ikea Country Communications Manager for Australia and New Zealand, Patricia Rutledge. Patricia, obviously, the anticipation has been building four years for Ikea. What's it been like behind the scenes? Has it been as mad as it is what we can see?
Speaker 4: I have not ever experienced anything like it. I've worked at Ikea for ten years, so you know, I've seen openings, I've seen anticipation, but it's just been incredible and it's been like, it's such a what a pleasure to have that experience, right, that people are so excited that you were coming, because the opposite is not what we would want. So yeah, it's been really I wouldn't say crazy, it's just been exciting. And I think the excitement of all New Zealanders and the welcome we've had has just made it even more special. So it's very surreal that from next week we can't talk about opening anymore. So that will be that will be different, that it'll.
Speaker 1: Be really weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, speaking of I wanted to see when Australia got their first Ikea store. It was nineteen seventy five. We've had to wait half a century. Why have Kiwis had to wait so long?
Speaker 4: Oh goodness? I mean from a business perspective, probably there's.
Speaker 1: Many, many seasons.
Speaker 4: Yes, But I think you may have seen twenty nineteen our CEO, he's outgoing CEO now, but he made the commitments and he said that we were we were planning our opening and our entry and he's always been so passionate about it. He really wanted to put Ikea on the map in New Zealand and it was kind of his enthusiasm was a lot of what got us to this point as well, because he looked at the map and he saw that it was missing and he said, no, it's going to be my job and I'm going to make sure that we get ike in New Zealand. So why it took so long, I don't know, but there were a lot of champions that made sure it happened.
Speaker 1: And without them, you know, we might not be here today. But we've got them to thank Yeah. Absolutely well.
Speaker 2: In terms of marketing, obviously, does a really really good I would be surprised if there wasn't a university.
Speaker 1: Course somewhere about how Ikea. I think there is. I would be surprised if there wasn't.
Speaker 2: And even just looking online, I can see, you know, in Australia you've got the mates with a youth campaign and like the thongs or journals. What has it been like trying to really key we five the marketing for I.
Speaker 4: Think working on marketing for Ikea, I call it the Ikea magic.
Speaker 1: And it's when you start.
Speaker 4: Working with other people and they say, oh, I'm not quite sure that's going to work, and you have to challenge people and go no, no, things can work for Ikea that they can't for anyone else. And I think it's that, you know, we call it twinkle in the eye. We don't take ourselves too seriously. We have that quirkiness, but what we really want to do is be relevant in the markets that we operate, and so we can't just go, yes, we're Swedish, but we can't just come in and be like, you know, enforce our Swedishness on everyone. It has to work for where we are. So we spend a lot of time. You may have seen our Life.
Speaker 1: At Home report.
Speaker 4: We went into five hundred homes when we first got here, and we just asked people like, how do you live, how would you like to live, what don't you like about your house, what would you really dream for? And a lot of those insights go into how we Kiwi Fi are marketing because we want it to be authentic, we want it to be real, and we talk about solutions a lot. We're not here to again tell anyone how to live. We're here to understand how people live and then go, oh, this is what we might do for you. So that's been a lot of it as well. So yes, making sure we've got the kiwi twinkle in the eye has been really.
Speaker 2: Well, what's more kwi than a house Patty, Well, tell.
Speaker 4: Me about that.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness me.
Speaker 4: It's been so much fun a house party and a garage party as well, and we had the Sunday beachside chills yesterday, so it's just been incredible. We wanted to create the exc on top of the excitement and say to all of New Zealand's were so happy to be here, so you know, this is our housewarming, and wanted to celebrate in a way that was New Zealand. So we had lots of local artists and we you know, a lot of different genres as well. We had house music on the first night, a bit of garage music and R and B on the second night, and then yesterday was a bit more like funky, a little bit of like reggae vibes as well in there.
Speaker 2: But so, did you set up like these house patties just with like Ikea stuff.
Speaker 4: In It was just touches of ike Actually, you'll see some of the pictures online, but we had a moving boxes everywhere, so we had Ikea boxes and inside the boxes with soft toys and cuddly toys and at the end of the night some of the guests could take them home with them and the shark was the big favorite. And as people were leaving and they were bartering with other guests and they were like, I've got a turtle, so do you want my turtle for a shark? And we had our Ikea bucket.
Speaker 1: Hats as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very I brought three hundred bucket hats over from Sweden to New Zealand. They're the last blue ones in the world. So we were throwing them into the crowd of the dance floors and people were going crazy. But this like so limited edition. I can't have one. My team had some and I was asking them to take it off and give them to the party goers because I'm like, no, no, no, these are the excluclusive So not much furniture, but just little touches of our merchandise that people could get excited about.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of exclusivity, are there any products that you can only buy in New Zealand?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh, the food?
Speaker 4: And again I have tasted of the food yet, so I'm super excited. We're going to have lingonberry Pavlova, so sparking that debate of who owns the Pavlova. Yeah, well can't get it in Australia.
Speaker 2: So can we do that? Obviously Australian and I learned very quickly not to question the Pavlova things unless you really.
Speaker 1: Want like a dinner party. Can'd of debate, but Lingoberry Pavlova.
Speaker 4: So that's world first a Lampi and we have fish and chips with New Zealand's Hoky, so all of these are super exclusive, can't buy them anywhere else in the world. So those would be my picks for the very unique and exclusive experience.
Speaker 2: Will we be getting the full range here in New Zealand? And I know there's often I mean when things open here, we're like, oh, we're going to miss out or we're going to get all of the stuff from last season. You know, that's what everybody ever always says.
Speaker 1: So do we get everything straight off the bat?
Speaker 4: New Zealand will have over seven five hundred products, so that's it's not the whole range because that's much much bigger, but no one has the whole range. So seven thousand, five hundred is like pretty much as many products as anyone will get.
Speaker 2: Right, it's just as long as Australia doesn't get more than us all.
Speaker 4: And actually we've curated the range for New Zealand, so we've actually in going to five hundred homes and looking at what New Zealand homes look like and what New Zealanders want. We've chosen the range specifically so that seven thousand and five hundred isn't randomly selected and just given to us. It's what we've often requested or demanded because of what we've seen and what we hope and believe that New Zealanders will really want and need.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks so much for having a chat with us, Patricia, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today Day's stories an extensive news coverage at enzherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Jane Ye and Richard Martin, who is also our editor. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.