Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Straight down the middle of Trumps, try.
Speaker 1: To get inside the game from every end goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Liam Napier, powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Access Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level. Elliott Smith with me Liam Napier from The New Zealand Herald, as we reflect on the All Blacks win over Italy forty seven seventeen. Nape's first and foremost your your top line reactions to that game where the All Blacks won convincingly but also weirdly not convincingly.
Speaker 3: It's a great summary. E let's it's been a bit of a whirl windaw hasn't it come back from the capitol back in Auckland now. Look a lot to unpack from that game. First of all, I think nice to have early kickoff five pm, lots of families, lots of kids. It was a bit of a battle to sell it out. Italy are hard to sell them most other international teams, so that was really notable. And then from the All Blacks. Yeah, I think one really good quarter and a lot to improve otherwise. Look, Italy are the big movers of the six nations, but they were missing three of their starters and they're at the back end of the year. They come off successive losses to Japan and Wales. They were very resolute in defense, but I thought the All Blacks didn't adapt and had real trouble breaking through. They made some good adjustments after halftime, got some pay and then finished quite poorly as well. So all in all, I think they've really summed up well. And he said it was a pass, but he could tell he wasn't happy with the overall nature of that performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was clunky, It was scratchy, wasn't it. And I think the All Blacks have a lot to work on head facing Irelands next week. I think it probably depends on your point of view on life in general, where you're a glass half full, glass half empty sort of person. I would probably classify it as a minor step back from the first week against France, because there were a lot of expectations that they would build on what worked well against France and continue to layer.
Speaker 3: That on, particularly having gone with a really strong team and not an experimental one.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: So you go, okay, well, these players have had another week in the saddle, another seven days to the ten they had before the first game against France, so they should be a bit clearer around some of the roles. I didn't really see that for long periods of the game. But when the All Blacks flicked the switch in that thirteen fourteen minutes after halftime, they were utterly lethal and a sign of what they can do when they everything does click for them, and they closed the game down and in the matter of thirteen to fourteen minutes with those four tries after the break, But as Dave Renny rude, they didn't kick on with it. And look, there are a couple of reasons potentially for that. There was a big long stoppage for Tomaso Allen, which took all the momentum out of a game that was already won by the All Blacks. But they were playing against fourteen for a long period of the back half of the game and didn't accelerate what was obviously going to be a win. So there was for me a lot to work on out of the game, and I think probably as set at the top. A minor step back from what we saw last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, look, this is a team that's in its infancy and growing pains are very evident, and from a game plan perspective, I think there has been quite significant change. You can see the All Blacks intent to retain the ball. They only kicked four times in the first half last week it was six. They made the I've got some stats here for you. They made three hundred and twelve passes, which is their most in the last fifteen years according to op the stats, and one hundred and eighty eight carries, which is also their fourth most in that same timeframe. So that tells you it speaks to the game plan, to the ball retention. But I just felt, particularly in that first half where the Italians were filling the field and defending really well chopped tackles, the All Blacks lacked variety and they did score that one try with the grubber kick, and it just seems a bit lateral, a bit predictable, and they didn't They didn't win the physical battle in the collisions, they weren't winning the breakdown, and they didn't generate enough go forward to allow them to go wide. So they made those adjustments after halftime, but against a better team, you want them to happen earlier.
Speaker 2: I think I think so too, and I don't think they switched. You know, we talk a lot about kicking and the All Blacks with the maybe run first or keep on hand mentality in the second In the first spel, that was crying out for some tactical kicking to try and put Italy on the back foot and disrupt the game they wanted to play. That wasn't really forthcoming from the All Blacks, and they seem to trust or believe that the smithod was going to work. And I suppose after halftime it did work, but I would have liked to see perhaps a.
Speaker 4: Bit more kicking.
Speaker 2: You know. Kicking sort of been painted as the evil art over the last few weeks, but I think there's still a room for it in a game plan and probably could have been unleashed in that first forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just when you're not getting that pay that go forwards, and maybe that speaks to the lack of dominant ball carriers that were that are in that All Black pack. Potentially, I think the All Blacks miss Peter Laco he was one of their better performers. I felt in the Test against France. He's not a massive guy, but his ball carrying is one of his real strengths. I thought Wallace a Titi had probably his worst test for the All Blacks, dropped a lot of pill and so yeah, that that twenty minute period after halftime, the All Blacks did make some adjustments, a little bit more tactical kicking, a lot more clinical with their skill execution in the first half as well. There are a few discipline issues. The scrum got pings and look the referee and the pedantic performance of the overarching TMO didn't help the nature of the spectacle. But they didn't get that quick ruck speed that they had in christ Church until the second half, and that's why I think you saw passes flying out over the touch line and a lot of inaccuracy because they were playing with men in their faces and they struggled to combat their Italian line speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Italy clearly worked out the way that the All Blacks were going to attack and from Italy side that I thought was really poor against Japan. You know, Dave Renny put it down to the heat on Thursday. Maybe that was a factor because they were a lot lot better though it was similar to the six nation side that we saw earlier in the year and perhaps with a little bit more class and claw in that first spell. They may have even been in front at halftime, but it wasn't to be. But I think they can probably hold their heads high a little bit from the way that the All Blacks or they put the pressure on the All Blacks, especially for the first forty or so minutes of the game. If you're an opposition team though, and say Ireland were watching that, the win watching that because they're about to play. But what would they have taken out is they prepare to play the All Blacks this week.
Speaker 3: I think the All Blacks attacking blueprints clear and if you can bring a bit of line speed, if you can put a bit of pressure on, if you can deny the All Blacks at quick ruck speed that go forward, then you frustrate them. So I think you'd be trying to do that. I think you'd still target the All Blacks in the air. There wasn't a huge amount of that, but the high ball the All Blacks the receiver are remember McKenzie dropping one, So I think Islam will still come for the all blacks in that department. And then look, you have to be aware of the all blacks streats, don't you, because when they do get it right, like you say, they are lethal. And we saw that with Will Jordan. Yeah, three tries, three tries record break in the evening and that really did happen in a flash.
Speaker 2: It did, and he had one of the first spell and then two bang bang very quickly to take the record. And you know, fifty tries as a phenomenal feat in test rug be.
Speaker 3: In fifty six tests, yeah, really is.
Speaker 2: He's not the highest New Zealand all time scorer, you know, a lot more days when those games were you know, the tour matches, various things, but to do it in test matches is quite the achievement. And look there are a club of six others that have reached fifty tries at tess Levely, obviously past Starkala who was an exceptional winger in his day as well. And you know, I think the record's sixty nine, so what twenty water catch and you wouldn't put it past him at this point. The strike right that he's got, as you said, and you know he's twenty eight now, you know, i'd think probably in the second third of his career, probably at this point in time. But he just showed his because quality and this moved back to the right wing over the last couple of you know, a lot of talk around whether he should play fullback or right wing. Five tries two weeks from the right wing just shows how lethal he is on the edge, but he also pops up.
Speaker 4: Around the park. These aren't just falling over the line for the tries.
Speaker 2: This is you know, Will Jordan having to go to work and set things up, and his acceleration I think is a second to none, and Will.
Speaker 3: Rugby acceleration anticipation I for a gap. You just think of the many moments we've seen him from sithing through on this occasion, I think he should be giving Josh Morby a birthday present because I felt Morby was a real game changer. He came on about thirty five minutes into that match when Lee Occarter departed. Sounds like an ac shoulder, which doesn't sound good for Lee. Ricarter had a disrupted year, but Morby, for me, on debut, rarely sees his chance. He was one of the best on display, I felt, and he really brought similar qualities to Jordan. Pace, anticipation, scything through on the edge, highly involved and certainly helped Jordan break that record.
Speaker 2: He did, and I think his time that he spent at fullback and will Jordan's the same, it does help them and seeing just the different ways that defenses operate where those gaps might be on the park, we'll be having to slot in on the left wing, which is probably a little bit unfamiliar for him, but you wouldn't have really known.
Speaker 4: I thought he was.
Speaker 2: Really really good. It's a remarkable story, isn't it. Given he went to France and was seemingly lost to New Zealand rugby, comes back and now on his day, on his birthday, makes his debut for the All Blacks. Has really put his hand up.
Speaker 3: We could almost categorize him as a journeyman. He played for Southland, Northland, the Hurricanes, that seemed like as a newer New Zealand career was over when he went to France. He cut that deal one year short to come back, had a breakout season with the Canes and even before he departed he did look to have those qualities but to do it this year in a championship winning squad and then to make your debut in that fashion, I think it was a real statement performance.
Speaker 2: It was, and look when he came back, it was like, Okay, that's a good pickup for the Hurricanes, but no one's thinking international level. This isn't a boost for the All Blacks. But it speaks to his ability this year and the way that he played that he was deserving opportunity and I thought took it as well. Anton Signa, I thought really added something when he came on at halftime with Luke Jacobson having a carf Nigol as well. He's not the biggest player on the park. I know he's had a little bit of size, but he's just got tenacity. He's got fight in them and he gets over the game line with a lot of his carries. He's always active, always involved in the game. And yeah, I think we'll see a lot more of Anton Signa in a Black jersey.
Speaker 3: It was nice to see him get an extended period of time rather than ten minutes at the end. Came on, like you said, straight after the break and look he at his parents, his brother and brothers and Leicester Fengenoku, who was his roommate at Nelson College when he came out, and he's on as a teenager from Germany, so very special night for him, and I agree, I think we'll see a lot more of him, I thought, Sam Dowry and Ethan the group was shown again for the All Blacks. Billy Proctor not his best test, missed that telling tackle on Menoncello early and there was one other pass which didn't stick. So yet to make that step up to test rugby, I think, and that center Jersey is probably quintupires to lose at this point in time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I said on Thursday, I'm not convinced that Quint to Pyre is a Test level thirteen, but jury's probably out on Billy Procter being at Test level thirteen as well. Just didn't quite click frohim. I think he threw that pass that went over the touch line from memory in the first spell it was. It was a clunky night, I thought from Billy Proctor. The thing about Billy Procter is he's always active in the game and even when he perhaps isn't playing well, he's got a lot of involved in It makes a lot of tackles. He's very very good defensively apart from that obviously obviously look but even when he's falling off tackles, it doesn't seem to bother him. He gets back in the game very very quickly, and I think that'll hold him in good Steed and David and he's All Blacks with that that biggest philosophy back in game go again. But again we're just not seeing that the quality of what we've seen at super rugby level for a few seasons now, of what he is capable of. So I think you'd probably look this week to go Quinta Pie comes back to thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. But I agree that thirteen and six still remain very contestable positions for the All Blacks. And that's probably been true for at least a year or two now.
Speaker 2: It is, and no one's has managed to lock it down, you know, probably get onto some team stuff in a moment or two round with the changes they might make for Ireland. But I think we've seen some players really outshone, you know that perhaps the other contenders in the Jersey, you know, Luke Jacobson is a shame. It was gonna be so Anton Signia for forty minutes. But it was also shame we didn't see Luke J. Gibson kick on for a bit more in that game, because I thought he had another pretty good opening forty minutes. I think he might have been pinged once, but.
Speaker 3: He was one of the all blacks bests in that first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really impressed by what he did. A lot of he made a couple of line breaks or half break opportunities, so I really liked what he did and is seemingly slotting and really nicely to that Dave any system. Rubin Love at ten second testing probably didn't shine too much, almost got yellow carded or did briefly. What did you make of rubin Love's second test at ten?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it was authoritative, didn't notice him a great deal. I think I think he can probably take a wee bit more control of the match. But I wouldn't say he was playing off the back foot. But he certainly certainly went on the front foot. And they didn't have that speed, that pace, that same tempo that they enjoyed and Christ it so a learning experience for him, but I think it wasn't a step forward on what we saw the previous week. You know, I think about him challenging the line at least a couple of times in christ Church and siding through and putting others away. There wasn't a great deal o that was there.
Speaker 4: No, there wasn't.
Speaker 2: I think he had that nice fifty to twenty two during the second spell. I thought he in the first game against Ransie didn't overplay his hand. I think this time maybe he underplayed his hand a little bit. And it's a fine balance I think for a ten at Test level, especially in U ten, to get that sense of managing the game. And perhaps that was a trickier game to manage given some of the disruptions and various other things. But I don't know if Yeah, Similarly, I don't know if it was a step forward. I don't know if it was a step backwards either. I thought it was just a fine performance that without rate going to any great heights. So we have Bill Blacks two from two now. Just a final thought on that game. I'm not sure if you got anything else, but the referrering I thought was one of the worst referring performances I've seen in a Test matchup that he completely lost control of that game in the last twenty minutes or so. Luke Ramos it was the first time he refereed to the All Blacks, second time referred Italy after controlling their Six Nations game against England earlier in the year. He is the boss on the field, not the TMO in the box. And this is the continuing problem in world rugby is that some bloke with a whole bunch of feeds gets to choose when to interrupt the game and Ben Whitehouse of Wales was the latest to do that and it has just become a blight on the game. It was the same in Australia, France, same in Japan, Ireland. These blokes interrupts. It's awful when they interrupt, but it's even worse when they get things wrong. And when they intervened on that Leroy Carter, Will Jordan try in the first spell incorrectly?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: I just I It does my headden and I've spoken a million times. The people are probably second on the podcast, but we have to get rid of the TMO. I'm sorry. If you're not gonna get rid of it, it's try, no try or ex of foul play. It's just it's beyond a joke.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, well this was absurd, just the level of interference, unnecessary interference. I'm with you to a point. I think it's needed for the Howler and World Rugby are meant to be taking it off site to an NRL bunker type situation, and you can only hope that's going to minimize the influence because this was a blight on the spectacle. It was already stop start and French refs, unfortunately do tend to be that way and the All Blacks seem to get these inexperienced refs quite often. But between the French ref and the TMO, it really did have a massive impact on the nature of that contest. So look, look, and the frustration is that Super Rugby's got this right and then you go to the elite part of rugby and it becomes a face. So it needs to be sorted.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 2: I don't think would Rugby have any idea how to sort. I think that's the problem is that they have washed their hands of this because they've gone too far and they don't have to reel it back in, and they don't seem to have any interest in reeling it back in and they've appointed referee failed referees by and large, or people that have never refereed a rugby game to go sit in a box and watch a bunch of feeds in intervene, like when was the last time you saw Ben white House referee game? When was the last time you saw Murray's read vistas and referee game Bret Cohner. These blokes are full time tmos and yeah, it's a specialist skill because you've got to watch a lot of feeds. But they, you know, in terms of their actual involvement in a game, they don't have the feel for it. I don't think Luke Ramos had the field for it last night either, But these blokes don't know so rain toever, it just winds me up, and the sooner it changes, the better. Let's talk about potential All Blacks changes for the game against Ireland at Eden Park. I guess there's a few players that set out the game on the WEEKI and for a week the way through. Though.
Speaker 4: You know Cody Taylor will start at hooker.
Speaker 2: I presume props Ethan de Groot, Fletcher Yule humidly comes back into sight head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, potentially either way around. I think Tywer Olomax will be involved. Locks you would think Patrick Twoplo two will come back into the mix, but probably not in a starting capacity. Sam Dari's played really well to provide. That was his first match back the loose four composition. Peter Luckey's got to start for me somewhere.
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, he just had as a lot and I think it was notably missed last night. It wasn't helped by w was TD having a poor game, Luke Jacobson, Carf Nickel. It didn't sound serious. We'll probably find a little bit more about it on Monday, but you could change things around a little bit there. I guess, Look, if Jacobson's fail, I'm starting him again, but maybe you look at a signet. If he's not fit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be surprised if they've really said that it was cramp. So if Jacobson's out, then he's pulling the wall over our eyes. But if Jacobson's fit, then I would expect it to be Ardi eight's, Jacobs seven and Lucky six. I don't think you changed the halves. Quincy Pie comes back at center, and probably Caleb Clark on the left wing, and I think Morby deserves another crack from the bench in the outside back department.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought Morby was excellent left I mean, did it do enough to have a crack at Eating Park.
Speaker 3: There's a real case for it. I think most teams like to have at least one power wing as a as a as a contrast. But look, Morbe was excellent and I wouldn't be shocked if he's rewarded with another start. And then there's other guys who haven't featured. Do they come back into the mix, Boden Barrett.
Speaker 2: Well, the way the All Blacks have compiled their bench over the last couple of weeks, ten suced with mckinziet fall back and love at ten that they don't think they need ten covers. So even Barrat has to come in and start presumably at fifteen or tim which I can't see them doing for this Test match. Or again, he's not in the twenty three, so maybe he switches with mackenzie and they bring Boden Barridon hasn't had a lot of rugby, it's been a while, but yes they're rugby at some point. So I've been intrigued to see what they do the I thought Antheline Brown added a lot off the bench last night as well, but I don't know that he's done enough to justify a starting Berth or a run on Berth alongside Jordi Barrett. Caleb Clark would be interesting. I don't think he had his best game against France last week, but he is under the high ball, one of the All Blacks best and he know he's Eaton Park very very well. And Ireland will kick at the All Blacks. You can guarantee that.
Speaker 3: Yep, they will. And other changes. I want to see Kyle Preston on the bench. I think he had a lot more. There's always going to be a massive drop off with roy Guards and he could play eighty minutes against Islands. But if you're going to bring on somebody, I think it should be Preston. I would also bring back new Mia and I suffer more as your other front row cover. I just felt like they added more in christ Church than what the All Blacks got off the bench.
Speaker 2: And Wellington, yeah, I think that Hurricanes loose. Sorry the Hurricanes front row. Whether you go yeah Newell off the bench or Lomax I think those three are the ideal bench players. And then you say Takeyoho byby Signa gets another crack and we'll be in the boutside back. So maybe there are minimal changes at best. And it's hard to see where these players we talked about on Thursday night after the team naming, but it's hard to see a Parker, A Barrett being selected. Preston maybe maybe, but I think there will be at least one or two players that don't get the nod for the scam at Eden Park and don't play any game any part in the series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone park is a big body. Maybe they potentially think he could bring some punch, but it would be pretty tough to not have Signa in the mix somewhere. What about Islands, This has been one of the great rivalries with the All Blacks over the past eleven years. I think that's six and five since twenty sixteen Islands breakthrough win in Chicago. The All Blacks had won the last three though, and the latest one of those was in Chicago last year. We were there. It was very convincing. They blew them away in the second half. I think from memory with another strong light flurry Cook Quarter blitz. Where do you see islands? As this was always going to be the All Black's toughest test of their three opening Nations Championship games, do you give them a worried um No?
Speaker 2: I thought that, Look, they made a few changes last night against Japan and Newcast, so I thought that was a bit clunky. I suspect they've probably been targeting this game against the All Blacks, though, and that makes them dangerous. They obviously been Australia last week. But I thought that I'm convincing against Japan, and maybe that was down to a few factors. It was a weird atmosphere Newcastle neutral territory, even though it was a supposed Jampanese home game. But they just took a while, and I think Japan had been not actually the big movies of the last couple of weeks. But you know, they beat Italy convincingly last week and we're hanging on twenty six to twenty down with about five to go, maybe a little bit longer, and Ireland get the late penalty and then late tried it to finish things off, but they were right in the mix, and you know, if the game had fallen a little bit differently, they could well have ended up with a narrow wind or a drawer or something like that. So I think Ireland will have to improve for Eden Park, the All Black says we've talked about for the last twenty odd Nerds will have to improve. But I don't feel the Ireland other threat that they were twenty twenty three and previously obviously twenty twenty two when they had that series win. Here they were playing some incredible rugby and I just don't think they're at that peak again. And there's gonna be the last game of their season, so whether they can get up for it, you know, one last shot, maybe they can. But I just don't know that they're quite where they were were. Is it say a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: No, I think they peaked twenty three just prior to that World Cup, and the All Blacks were underdogs, massive underdogs for that quarterfinal at the World Cup because of the way that Island had played because of their rise. I don't know if they've regenerated enough since then or significantly evolved their game, but I do give them a red hot chance because of the fact that the All Blacks have a completely new coaching team that made a lot of changes. They yet to convince back at Fortressed and Park thirty two years fifty two games unbeaten. That certainly evokes a lot of confidence. So I expect the All Blacks to win, but I think this could be a very tight, tense, nervy match, similar to the one in christ Church.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one thing guarantee you over the last couple of weeks of the island will scored. The first try inside the first two or three minutes just become a at Arkill's Hill for the All Blacks terrible starf Yeah, and then to get that fixed for this game is actually, while we're talking about this, we see on our monitor two and a half minutes in Italy scoring. That's something they need to fix this week and Anti among has spoke about that when we spoke to them at the airport today. You know, they need to tidy a few things up. And forty seven to seventeen have been largely comfortable. Maybe you know there's a feeling of okay, they're on the march here. This just does add a little bit of tension that it was a clunky, scratchy performance and there's a bit to improve as they had to eat in.
Speaker 3: Part there is yeah, and look it's it's challenging to come in on ten days preparation for your opening tests with literally a whole new management team other than Jason Ryan to make widespread changes and so you don't expect the All Blacks to be completely polished at this point. And that's why I think there will be a bit of nerves around this game. The All Blacks have a lot to improve and Ireland will test them in several areas even if they aren't where they were a few years ago.
Speaker 2: Indeed, before we wrap things up here on Rugby Direct, so we touched on a couple of those games or Japan Ireland caught your eye over the last twenty four hours. Very very hard to sort of watch everything. I'm sure there'll be some people out there that have managed to watch everything at this point. I watched Australia France after getting back to the hotel last night, watched a lot of Japan Ireland. Australia were right in that test match until they weren't, and when they weren't, they completely lost the plot against a French team that just began to run rampant and send this with French teams when they get a sniff and this goes back, you know, forever in the French history. But I think back to some of those games, the nine to a nine and semi final against the All Blacks in the World Cup and various other things. When they're on they can take the game away from you and just start playing glows. Everything just starts sticking for them. And felt like they were doing that last night and just rolled over the top of the Australians.
Speaker 3: They did. Yes, the Wallabies let at halftime and then I think it was thirty to five that the points swing. Look Australian rugby, their depths a made major problem and we soought that's a starkly illustrated at first five you lose Carter Gordon and Ben Donaldson, you throw in a Rockie and you finish with Jock Campbell at ten. That's a real indictment I think on your development and selection. Yeah. I worry for the Wallabies. They should have beaten probably all that. I felt like they blew it against Island in their opening game. Then they collapse against Front, a vastly stronger French team than the one that played the or Blecks to be fair. And I think France, as you say when they click, are exceptional and they're one of the best teams in the world and I could see them going really deep at the World Cup next year. So there's no embarrassment to lose to them. But it's a huge test now for the Wallabies against Italy and Perth this week. That won't be easy for them's last test. Yeah, and look, if Joe Schmitt can't turn around the Wallabies, what have they wont have They won one of their last.
Speaker 2: Ten records of Paul and I was looking at that earlier. He might end up having the worst record in the professional era for the Walleries, which is quite remarkable given the respect and the plaudits that he's had under his name. But he is just you know, it's just not working. It's just not working. I'm not sure I think Liz Kiss is going to be able to do it. But that lost not only past six tiers, they lost six in a row. There only went over that was that Scratchy went against Japan before they went on as part.
Speaker 4: Of the end of year tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I saw it was a Christie do say it was Christie might have been some decent potentially saying that basically this run would have had any other will of his coach sacked.
Speaker 4: He's going anyway exactly.
Speaker 3: That's why. It's just not why the questions aren't being asked. But yeah, at least Kiss got a hell of a task to come in and take over that team with just over a year to the World Cup. The spring Box with a second string team beats a really informed Scottish outfit to push them really deep in that game. So I think that was notable for a number of reasons, for the fact that the Box can literally change their whole team and still beat a team that's in red hot.
Speaker 2: Form experimental team for the South Africans and they still beat, as you say, a good, a really good Scotland side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Von Russell coming back and one of the best nine ten to twelve combinations in the world, playing a great brand of rugby and unfortunately for Scotland, they seem to be able to push you know this top teams to the brink and not Finnish the job.
Speaker 4: It's the execution that lets them down and it did again. It was all backs last year. It was South Africa Argentina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just make turning mistakes and that's probably what keeps them from being, you know, top four nation in the world at least, you know, in terms of who you think that the four teams are. I just don't think they're quite there as yet. They've just seen a bit more ruthless because they've certainly got the ingredients. They've got very good playmakers, great nineteen twelve combo, great outside backs. So we're good under the ball, but just let them down on the skills. Fiji woful against England in their home game at at Liverpool at Everton Stadium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, changing their coach looks like a getting rid of mcburn seems like a fastical, dumbfounding decision at this point, just as the nation's championship has undermined itself by taking the Japanese game to Newcastle and Fiji going to London or Everton. I understand the financials and they need to minimize travel, but at some point these nations are going to have to front and go and play Fiji and set aside some financial imperatives.
Speaker 2: Yes they do, and yeah, will that day come, I don't know, but it does challenge the integrity of the competition from day one when those sort of things are happening and you're forcing player. I mean it's it's it's already a globe trotting tournament. You were just impacting the I think the integrity by having these away.
Speaker 4: I mean that.
Speaker 2: I think I saw a tweet saying that the grand announcer at the Everton Stadium announced over the ten or that it was Fiji's biggest home crowd ever.
Speaker 4: Well, yes it is to it so.
Speaker 3: It's not exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little bit fast scol like when the you know the I don't Christ's when the Warriors would have a game against the West Tigers, the West Tigers of the home team, and it's everyone's you know, all the bandages, there's the banners of the West Tigers.
Speaker 4: Well it's not really.
Speaker 2: A West Tigers home game, but I appreciate the thought none the less.
Speaker 4: That'll do us for Rugby Direct.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on Thursday, once we've got an all Blacks team for this big test at Eden Park. But Napes, thank you as always in another busy week.
Speaker 3: Awaits indeed look forward to it.
Speaker 4: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: That has been Rugby Directs powered by our friends Access Solutions slevrating you and your business to a higher level. I thanks to to our producer Mark Kelly. We'll see you Thursday.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio