Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks. It'd be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on Iheartradiotin.
Speaker 2: Surprise Easter truce is being criticized by Ukraine Voladomya Zelenski says despite forces being ordered to stop military activity, Russia has still been firing. The thirty hour truce was supposed to last until nine this morning, New Zealand Time. Joining me now is Kiev based foreign policy and security analyst Jimmy Rushton. He's with me, Jimmy, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Hi, Oh, good evening. Yes it is in Keef.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that, Yeah, was there any truth at all?
Speaker 3: So there was a suspension of Russian drone and missile strokes on Ukraine, so we haven't experienced any air raids, which has been a definitely a relief for the civilian population. But I've spoken to three separate sources in the Ukrainian military who are currently deployed in the front line, and they're in different sections of the front and they've all experienced Russian assaults, Russian drone strikes on their positions, are toy fire, etc. So from their perspective, no, there has not been a truce and This really has been another case of put In really trying to play the West for falls. He's trying to show the Americans that they are interested in peace, when in fact they aren't. And this is just really another a deception on the Russian part.
Speaker 2: Well, is anyone believing him? What are the Americans are talking about getting out of the whole thing? But are they believing him? What do they care?
Speaker 3: It's very difficult to say. To be honest, the Americans have very sophisticated monitoring, signal intelligence capabilities. They will know exactly what's happening. Whether they choose to acknowledge it is another matter, because we've seen the Trump administration denied basic reality in the past. I remember a couple of weeks ago they were talking about Ukrainian soldiers being encircled in Kursk. That absolutely did not happen. That never side actually claims that it did. So if the Americans choose to trust their intelligence, then hopefully they'll understand that you know this, this Russian truth is nothing of the sort, and it really is a manipulation employed by the Russians to pretend that they are ready for a peace deal.
Speaker 2: So it is they monitor and good enough that they will know who fired the first shot under the truth of.
Speaker 3: Course, absolutely. I mean they have incredibly sophisticated spice aatellites. They will know exactly what's happening, and they have you know that they still have advisors in Ukraine. They have there's there's regular communication between Ukrainian military and the American military, so they will know exactly what's happening. And hopefully that's being fed up to the White House and hopefully Trump has an accurate summary of what's happening in Ukraine on his desk tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: Hopefully he reads that what about the human I mean, what was putin saying in pursuit of something humanitarian? I mean I scoffed when I read that. What was your response and the response in cave to putin talking about humanitarian considerations.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just ridiculous, isn't it. This is a country which has stepped up their assaults on civilian areas. I mean, it's no accident or coincidence that we've seen multiple mass casualty missile strikes in Kluv and Swummi. Recently there was that horrific attack which killed nearly forty people. Number of children as well. And yeah, we're seeing almost every day significant missile strikes, drain strikes on civilian population areas, and yeah, I mean again, if Putin was worried about civilian casualties and you know the humanitarian cost of this, well, he could simply order Russian troops to withdraw to Russia and that would be the end of it.
Speaker 2: It almost feels preposterous to sect because we know how that's not going to happen, doesn't it. But that is the simple question. It's all up to him just get.
Speaker 3: Out exactly exactly. And the thing is, Putin's command of the Russian information environment is so complete that he could order withdraw tomorrow and then tell the Russian people that he's achieved all the objectives of his special medity operations he likes to call it, and they probably believe him because you know that they the Russian people generally believe everything the government tells them because they have an extreme sophisticated propagand the network and they're incredibly controlled. So you know, it's in his power. He could stop it tomorrow if he wanted to, and he is the one person in the entire world could stop it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: If he wanted to and Ukraine and Keev. What are Ukrainians pulling their hopes on. Is that Europe stepping up and potentially some new cruise missiles or are they are they assuming that jumps out that the US will just quote take a pass.
Speaker 3: I think the Ukraine's are relatively realistic. I don't think they're putting their hopes on any one thing. I think they understand that really, if this war is going to continue, and it looks like it is, it's really going to be on them. It's going to be on their mainly, I would say their drone production production, because this war is now a drone war. It's not really about Artilly anymore. Though Artilly is still important. It's now about whoever can put the most amount of these small FPV first person view drones into the air. And the Ukrainians are making they've they've made incredible strides of this, and some of their factories are churning out huge amounts of drones four thousand a day in some cases. Yeah, they're incredibly impressive. So I think for the Ukrainians they understand really that nobody is going to come to their aid. There's there's going to be support from Europe, but it's not going to be the sort of support that's going to win the war, so they're really going to have to fight for themselves.
Speaker 2: Jimmy, I look out for yourself. I really appreciate your time this morning. That's Jimmy Rushton. He is a Key based foreign policy and security analyst.
Speaker 1: For more from news talks, it'd be listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.