Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks ed B.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome into a Thursday edition of the Sports Fix podcast for November fourteen.
Speaker 3: Good have you with us? I'm Jason Pine. My name is Darcy walder Grave. Running Shotgun with the Pine Man again. Always a pleasure to do so, Jason, what have you got coming up?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm quite looking forward to playing selector with you. I've got one, two, three, four, I've got five positions. I'd like to get your view on as to what you think your black selectors will do and what you might do when they name their team for France. I think it's revealed about five o'clock tomorrow morning. I want to kick that round in the chamber with you. I know you've got the doc on. I always enjoy listening to John Mayhew.
Speaker 3: Near doctor John Mayhew talking about concussion and the Curious Tale of Tom Robinson. I don't know about you, Piney, but I've heard of players trying to mask injury so they get selected, but not players feigning injury so they don't get selected. It's a strange one, but I think in essence a good news story for rugby really again highlighting the dangers around concussion.
Speaker 2: Indeed indeed, and how far we've come in that regard. All right, So the doc's coming up, the chambers coming up, is a bit coming up. Let's get into it. In other news, let's get started with some of the big sports stories floating around today. Shri Lannka have won the opening One Day cricket International against New Zealand and Dan Buller.
Speaker 3: There it is, there's the match in a good word for.
Speaker 2: The home sick New Zealand finished one seventy five for nine chasing and adjusted two hundred and twenty one from twenty seven overs earlier. Shri Lanka rapped up three hundred and twenty four to five from forty nine point two overs. New Zealand Rugby's manager of the professional game at Chris Lendrom's keeping the door. Ajar over the possibility of a super rugby draft, but says the prospect is unlikely for now.
Speaker 3: We're done in a certain way. Drafts and options create fans, spectacle and interest. Totally get all of that, not saying never at all we remain open minded, but it's not on the agenda for the near team.
Speaker 2: And keep it going. For Stephen, Elka wants to keep playing professionally until he turns sixty after winning a second season long crown on the PGA Champions Tour, saying that is the biggest thing, and then you know from there the drive is it?
Speaker 1: How long is it going to be there?
Speaker 2: And if I'm just finishing forty to fifteenth in the field and not having a chance, then it's probably time.
Speaker 1: Leading a vex. We've got just the ticket. It's Sports Vex Now, News Talks EVY.
Speaker 3: We'll join now on the program by doctor John Mayhew as we take a look at the curious case of Tom Robinson. John always good to chat to you. I take it your will very well.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dartine.
Speaker 3: This is a curious case, isn't that Tom Robinson coming out and saying, look, I faked injury so I didn't get selected for the All Blacks. And this is all under the far of concussion that he experienced. He didn't want to go any further. I've never heard of this before. What about yourself? Normally they say I'm not injured so they can carry on playing. This is quite the turn up, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It is. I think you did right there. And I've had a number of players who have had several head injuries and then made decisions early in their career to stop playing football. But they've done that quite publicly and say, look, I've had two or three concussions, I'm twenty to one to twenty two. I'm concerned they'll be long term problems, and I'm going to cut my losses now. And that made it's probably quite an intelligent, rational decision. What I find quite unusual here as the player was hiding that he was worried about head injury and avoiding playing, but without telling people and the reason why he was avoiding playing. So it's a bit unusual. And hopefully he's made a full recovery from his head injuries, and he's probably made a very wise decision to avoid the injury and get on with his life in other areas and not so for the consequences of repeated head injury. But the mystery is, you know why he felt that he couldn't discuss that with his medical advisors or coaches, and I had to pretend he was injured to avoid selection.
Speaker 3: Another story that I won't say will put the frighteners up people, but again, it brings awareness to the nature of head injury. I see it as being a positive that he's done this, not a negative. But maybe that's what he is thinking. Not that we can tell anyone what he was thinking, because we simply don't know. But this is a good news story.
Speaker 4: You think, Yeah, I think it is. I mean, I mean, there's a number of players I've dealt with over the last three or four years who've decided to retire because of you know, what they deem as frequent head injuries, and fortunately most of them are not brain damage to any extent, but they're concerned about the future. And these are often young graduates, you know, who've got other careers ahead of them, and they've made it to say to say, well, I care, I'm going to decrease the odds of further damage by it by not playing. And I think that's a very acceptable and very wise thing to do. When they do that, you know, quite publicly, I'm disappointed that, you know, a player this felt that he couldn't be honest with his coaching staff, medical staff and say, look, you know, I don't want to play because I'm worried about heat injury, and I think it may be best that I don't carry on playing, and that'd be the way to do it. And I think in twenty twenty four, you know, we're much more aware of the dangers of head injury and it's certainly acceptable. We've gone past that Marcho phase of you know, play on you know if you can sort of thing, and I think it's a wise thing to do. So I applaud him for doing what he's doing, but it's a shame that he felt that he had to sort of do it in a surreptitious sort of way.
Speaker 3: Dr John Mayhew joining the program. Back in the day, people would hide injury so they would get selected. How in this day and a difficult is it to hide something like head injury? It's blanket covered. Everyone's very very well aware of concussion, of head knocks, of how players are affected. They've got video. But is it an easy enough thing to mask? I don't know why you would, but it's easy enough to mask in this day and age.
Speaker 4: Well, it's certainly at the professional level now it's pretty hard to get away with a player playing with head injury because there are protocols in place all the training and games of videos, so it's very hard to avoid you know, that are being diagnosed with a head injury. So I think that's unlikely. I mean, certainly at lower levels or training where there's no video assessment and things like that, injuries can occur. And often I still see patients who say, look, I felt good after game, but you know later on I had a headache, and then you go through the tape and you find that you know they may have had a head injury and you're dealt with accordingly. But I think at the professional level now players don't try to hide head injury. It's certainly lower levels and even worse at visiting rugby levels, players sometimes try to hide things and unfortunately sometimes the appearance and coaches you know, go along with that as well.
Speaker 3: There is a standard standdown period for players, but I'm presuming that head injury takes on and concussion a number of different forms. So to have a blanket stand down period is that idea? Is that accurate? Does that work for you the average rugby player, not even your average bloke.
Speaker 4: What you're saying is definitely correct that I was in a working party with ACC and we came up with some guidelines for non professional sportsmen across all the sporting codes, and we came up with a minimum of three weeks standout if anyone suffers a head injury and then they needed to be cleared by a medical professional, a doctor, not a physio. Now that what we've got to deal with here, Darcy, is it's very hard for the average forcemen to get in to see a doctor, to get access to all the neuropsychometric testing. So we made a pragmatic decision which is the best for all concern and what we're trying to say there that if you have a hen indry it's going to be a minimum of three weeks you're then going to have a conversation with a medical professional who assesses you and decides whether you can return to play or not. So it's not ideal, I quite agree, but it's the best option we've got at the moment.
Speaker 3: It's gone on the up and up. Dot to John Mayhewn just before we go the technology, the advance and understanding around concussion not full proof yet, but in your mind, getting closer to sorting this issue out as far as finding out how you got your concussion, how long it's going to last. As medical up now with what's going on in concussion, they have a long way to go.
Speaker 4: Or I think that certainly we're moving forward, and I think New Zealand rugby has been very proactive and assessment of concussion and management of that, and it issuing a lot of research programs and is mostly doing more than most other sport doing New Zealand. And certainly people can get head injuries and sort of rollerblading and ice hockey and things like that where there's no research going on. The finger gets pointed at rugby the whole time, but ironically it's the sport that's doing the most to try and make their sport safest than the other sports can learn from the information glean there. So I think, you know, there's a lot of research done by sporting bodies and by medical bodies, and we're trying to make the game as safe as we possibly can.
Speaker 1: This is Sports Facts, your daily does of sports news powered by News Talks.
Speaker 3: Be One of the all time boxing heavyweight grats gets back and prowls the ring again. His name is Mike Tyson, The baddest man on the Planet, former undisputed world heavyweight champion at the ripe old age of fifty eight. He's climbing back into the squared circle again to punch a young man in the face. And when I say young, I mean young. There's a thirty one year age difference between the two characters. The other character the twenty seven year old Jake Paul, a YouTuber and kind of professional boxer. His record, well, eleven fights, ten wins, seven KOs, and one loss up against Iron Mike, is that as many pro fights as he's had years on the planet. Fifty eight fights, fifty wins, forty four by knockout, and six losses. That's an impressive record by anyone's measure. What does that count for what's coming up on Sunday? Nothing at all. This has been sanctioned as a fight. They've got bigger, softer gloves. There are eight rounds of only two minutes, so when it comes to boxing, it's more like reality TV boxing than bona fide scrap. But that won't stop, and I'd suggest millions and millions of people from tuning in to Netflix to watch this brawl. It's like a whole of people crowding around a freak show just to see what happens. Plainly, I don't know what's going to happen. I don't think anybody knows what's going to happen. Will Jake Paul be humiliated by Iron Mike Tyson? All they carry Mike Tyson out on a gurney is one thing I do hope though, that when Mike Tyson walks into the ring, he's got as black trunks and as little black booties on, just like as helcyon days when he was the baddest man on the planet.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfix.
Speaker 2: Let us convene in the chamber for some discussion around a couple of sporting issues. The main one, Dars I want to get your view on, is what you think your black selectors might do for this Test match against France on Sunday morning, New Zealand time the team is revealed tomorrow morning in the early hours. Can I give you a couple of positions and get your view you can.
Speaker 3: Indeed, just remembering one key thought here and every time back in the day I spoke to Grant Fox before he was an all Black selector about selections. You said, it's all well and good dask, but this team never has to play, so take it with a grain of salt. And he's right, isn't he? We can all be selectors on the couch, but our team doesn't have to play. So do you want me to tell you who I think is going to be selected or who should be selected? Because that's quite the difference.
Speaker 2: I want the second one of those. Please, I'd like you to put yourself in the selector's books. I think we can all. I think we can all say oh we reckon, they'll do this, or they'll probably pick am. What would you do if it was up to you and I want to start in the front row? Are you picking Asafa one Moor or Cody Taylor to start this test match?
Speaker 3: I'm picking Asafa L Moore because I thought it's reward and for what he did and the two big stories out of that game, well big for me anyway that I suffer prove people that he can actually adjust and change and get his game right, and he didn't run out of steam. And Damien McKenzie, like I've been critical of him in the past, but he put on a master class. I've got to be impressive. I'm thinking that they reward him for that, and then we have the coming back from a head knock Cody Taylor to really inject toward the end here. Okay, well, then you mentioned Damian McKenzie there as well. I take it from that then that you're giving him the keys to the car. The number ten Jersey and Boden Barrett comes off the bench. Now. I do like that idea, because Boden Barrett, of course, can cover a number of possessions and short of a trot, Damie McKenzie is not. So to me, it's a fairly pragmatic decision, even though I think Boden's the better player.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Amoa and mackenzie there, now, can you please tell me your loose forward trio, remembering of course that we don't have Sam Kaine available this weekend.
Speaker 3: Well, the cat's a sort of been let out of the bag by Scott Hansen, so I'd say that Larkye will will he start? Yeah, let's go Larky to start in at seven, and you leave Wallacetiti in at six, and you leave the man in the boot where he belongs. I know it's tempting for Adie Savia to move him to the open side. But I think situation like this, if you've got a new guy coming on in that key role, you need some form of solidity with the other two packs.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense, it does. I see what I would do. I'd Havelaye coming off the reserves bench. I would move Ardi to seven for this one. I'd give Wallace Atti a run and that eight Jersey where he's been so impressive for the Chiefs. Yes, I know he's been amazing in six for the All Blacks, but I'd reward some a penny female for a good couple of impacts off the bench against England and Ireland after a difficult Rugby championship for some a penny female. I would give him a go in that six jumper. He started against England in both tests in July then kind of fell off the radar a little bit. I'd be giving Feenale the six, Savia the seven, Satiti the eight, and I would give Peter Larkey the twenty jumper. That's the way i'd do it.
Speaker 3: What of you you can twist my arm around that. Then maybe the trial by five of starting against the French with Lakeye it might be too much, but you find out pretty fast what they're made out of when you throw them in that position and just see. I wonder if Scott Robertson is up to doing something like that. It's quite the role, it's quite the shake. But you don't know. I wouldn't mind if they went your way, absolutely, But you ask me what i'd do, and I'm a harsh task master.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't mind your way either, I really wouldn't. It's and that's the beauty of it. As you say, none of these teams have to play now, we just have to pick them. And with no mark to laya on the right wing, it feels like sever reesel come in. Could he possibly I mean, would you possibly move Will Jordan back to the wing and play Pelifetta or even Ruben Love at full back?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not. It's taken long enough to get Jordan and we've seen what he can do and he's getting really comfortable in that role. Don't mess with it. You don't mess with a number of positions to cover one. Leave him where he is. I'm going to probably live to regret that one and I'll move it. But if it's my team now, he stays right, whereas Severies comes in, Caleb Clarke have've got the same midfield happy days.
Speaker 2: Okay, I tend to agree. In fact, I don't tend to. I one hundred percent agree. I'd be living Jordan at four back. What about road?
Speaker 3: What about Roy Guard? Does does he start this time around and they live with Courte?
Speaker 2: I go Roy Guard? I go Roy Guard? Would you go Royguard?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I go Roy Guard. He's proven enough that he's back in, and I think that maybe the weight of selection at this early stage Courtsi's maybe felt that a wee bit at the start, so maybe relieve some pressure off him on the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he started against England and Ireland. I think I think you said to Quartez, yeah, WA's the first hour. And I think also Royguard deserves a start. You know, he's only started this year against Japan. I think this is his time to wear that nine jumper again.
Speaker 3: You has the big story of the entire tour. What do you do with the grout?
Speaker 2: You know what? I would bring him in and I think offered all the fuss he stays in that seventeen jumper. I think has impact off the bench has been excellent. I would bring to Grout in for Williams. I think Williams has been good against Japan, England Island and three consecutive tests. I would put Guton. Would you put to Gruton?
Speaker 3: He hasn't played for a couple of weeks, but as they say, and as Jason Ryan said, they've been training the house down, anything would be a good pick in there. You know, we need a game show where we actually get to go and select and coach an all black team. Do you think people would buy into that or not? You know, I think those reality shows you you are, you've got a clipball? What do you know about the game?
Speaker 2: Just before we go, the All Whites play tomorrow night they continue on their World Cup qualifying. Where are you putting Chris Wood as far as as far as the football as you admire, the sports people you admire in terms of his desire to wear the silver fern.
Speaker 3: Top shelf, it's got to be dias at least, can't be any further. I think that when you look at what he does, what he gets paid, the success he's having over him, what a year you wouldn't read about so far Chris would what he's achieved and the tyranny of long distance travel that is hard, and then he's got to play a game of football at each end keep himself fit. It's almost impossible. So for him to make that commitment Piney, and not just once, but he does it every time he can. That is just so commendable. He's right out with one of the superstars, brilliant man.
Speaker 2: As is usually the case, I don't have a lot to add to your as always articulate thoughts on the matter, so I'll just hold it's not an agreement and usher you out of the chamber for another afternoon.
Speaker 3: If that's okay, I consider myself ushered. Goodbye dissecting the sporting agenda it's Sportsfix with Jason Pine and Dussy Walter Grave.
Speaker 2: And having ushered ourselves out of the chamber, that is asked for another edition of the Sports Fix podcast. Don't worry, though, we are back tomorrow. If you subscribe, it'll happen automatically. I mean it'll happen automatically in terms of a fresh episode dropping into your podcast feed dust and.
Speaker 3: Make sure you tell your friends and family so they can automatically have it drop into their feed as well, and of its live sport talk. If you want your chance to talk Back at or to us between seven and eight Monday to Friday. It is Sports Talk and of course Piney's Got Control of Things. Weekend Sport between twelve midday and three Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio