Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks MB's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonny Jansen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hi, then welcome into a fresh episode of the Football Fever podcast. A day late. We took yesterday off big a public holiday and all that, and also to collect our thoughts about what happened over the weekend. I'm Jason Pine Bonnie Jensen is here also hello, Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Derby Week, Phoney Derby Week.
Speaker 1: Really, I mean something we never really thought would happen a few years ago, right, you know, I know we've talked about this a lot, but the fact that there's going to even be a Keiw Derby at all when a few years ago a lot of people wanted the Knicks kicked out, They didn't want the Phoenix and the competition at all. Now not only are they well established there, but there's a second New Zealand team. And can I just say, right at the start, how good have the first couple of home games for Auckland FC been. You just have to hand it to the club and particular to the fans for the way that they have turned out from day one. Another terrific occasion over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely right, Piney and other than the anticipation I guess from the fans in terms of how their season's going to go. It's hard to actually tell this as a new club by the sheer number of people turning up for these games. You know, the amount of blue and black Auckland, theF C shirts they're wearing, and just the vibes that in game entertainment, the food trucks and everything like, the match share is pumping, and you know they've been lucky with two stunning days of weather that they've hosted teams. But yeah, it's hard to tell this is a new club.
Speaker 1: That's a great That is a great way of putting it. You're right, it's as if they've been here for a long long time. And yes, I know there's a lot of hype around them being new, but then you know, we still had what fourteen fifteen thousand turn up there on the weekend, the big twenty five thousand for opening day. But it's a long weekend. Half of Auckland leave Auckland on a long weekend, aren't they?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And just everyone that I speak to that been out there or went the first game or or just a second game recently, you know, they're so excited for the next one. And now they don't have another home game till end of November. Before then they host the Wellington Phoenix again. But yeah, everyone's just loving it going. I'm going to be here all summer parking up. It's yeah, it's it's definitely like a fad in trans tasm football, and I hope it stays that way, because yeah, it's it's fun.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got the Darby to look forward to. Let's let's do things in a in a more logical order though a chronological order perhaps, And let's start with Wellington Phoenix, who picked up their first win of the season on Saturday evening, late late on Saturday evening over in Western Australia, a very good two nil win over Perth functional They I thought played very very well against and admittedly fairly poor Perth side. But yeah, a couple of goals from defenders. This is a this is a box ticked. This is a job well done, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's it's great. You know, they dropped points in the first round at home, so they've gone and redeemed themselves picking up all three points away, which is a good result. They needed the result, particularly heading into this week, and as you say, you know Perth Glory had all the reason to come out and fight, and off the back of their first first round loss six to one or whatever it was, they had all the reason to come out hungry. And the Phoenix to said today, so yeah, really really stoked for them that they got three points in an hour second on the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel sorry for Olie Sale, I must say not because he's in goal for a team that's that has led eight goals in the first two games, but he's getting no help from his defense. I mean Tim Paine's goal that crossed to the far post. Off watched that three or four times and I've got no idea what the left back for Perth is doing. Tim Pain's making his late run from right back basically to be completely untracked. It's as though the left back for Perth doesn't even realize that Tim Payne is there. It's Sunday League defending from a professional team. And even the first goal that Scott Wotton scored, and take nothing away from these two goals. They're good finishers. But you know, in a free kick situation like that, when there are so many Perth defenders in the box, you know. For Scott Wooton to get pretty much an uncontested heater on goal, it says a lot about what Perth am not doing defensively right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you make a key point defensively because up the other end Perth actually had some really solid chances and our defense and our goalkeeper did you know well to stop those goals from Perth coming in. As you say, let's not take anything away from Tim Payne's goal here, Pintey.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great run.
Speaker 3: I'm all for a fullback getting on that back post run. One of my favorite attributes of a fullback, and I think it was almost a Carmon copy goal from what he scored last season.
Speaker 1: Yep, No, I remember the one you're talking about when Ben Old put it to the far post and he just arrives at a rate of nots to isn't he? Tim Payne heads at home and you're right, it's very similar, a slightly loopy across perhaps from Nagasawa this time around, but the finish is equally emphatic, and you forget a it took Tim Payne ninety three games to get a goal. He's now got four in about the last twenty five games, so he's all of a sudden he's worked out how to score goals. But yeah, good for him. Scott Wooton, I thought, had another really good game in the heart of Wellington's defense. He is just going to be so integral to this team this season as he kind of marshals the younger players around him. Alex Rufe are very good again and I quite like the way heidecki Ishiga, the Japanese attacker, has now been involved in a couple of goals, hasn't he The golf of cost of Barbarusis against Western United. He was the free kicktaker in that one again for Scott Wooton. So already, you know, starting to show out the imports both involved and assists over and with Western Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And that's exactly what Chief he would have wanted by signing these players to just be absolutely clinical and classy on their delivery. They're such smart players Japanese footballers. I mean we could say the same about heroic Sakai up in Auckland. So yeah, very very clinical players.
Speaker 2: I like to see it.
Speaker 3: And just back to Oli Sale obviously him and Nicholas Pennington playing for Perth now against their former club. I just say, come back to Wellington or have you happily. We'll welcome you back happily.
Speaker 1: No worries, well, I mean all joking aside. I wonder what Oli Sale will do. You know, he's gone over there. He's Whenever you go to a club, I think you go with aspirations, right, you go to a place thinking, right, I'm here to play well in a team that is contesting for you know, for trophies, you know, let alone the top six. They're nowhere near it at the moment they in their first two games through. I don't think any fold of Oli Sales. I don't think he could have done anything really more with any of the eight goals that have gone in. But he is just getting absolutely no protection from the Perth Glory defense in front of him. He must wonder what he's done, you know.
Speaker 3: And the other sad thing for Olie is that you don't want it hurting his chances for the national team. You know, he's still in the All Whites mix for now, but there's certainly a lot of other goalkeepers on the cusp and less than two years out from a World Cup up. There's you know, no doubt he's not targeting that. So yeah, you don't want these results, which aren't necessarily as fault, to affect his selection in that team.
Speaker 1: Sure right there, because he's number three keeper right now, Okay he is. He's number three behind Paulson and Crokham. That's I think, you know, generally accepted, and there are others knocking on that door. So yeah, I hope for Olie Sail that he can rise above the mediocrity of the Perth Glory defense because it really is quite abject at the moment. But take nothing away from Wellington another or a clean sheet for them. They've only let one goal in two games, which is a bit of a trademark of Chief. He likes to set asides up well defensively, and you're just a very functional performance. You know. It's always tough to go all the way over there and play, you know, play it what your body still must feels quite late at night. But they got the job done, two points and unbeaten, heading into a pretty big game this coming weekend football Fever against Auckland FC. Of course, let's have a look at their game against Sydney FC. Plenty of talking points in this one, not too short. Where to start really, I think, well, as you let's start with the two major talking points in this game. The first one was the Sydney goal that was overturned by VR Hayden Matthews stabbing home from inside a really crowded penalty area. It seemed to take ages for VAR to have a look at this one and to work out what, you know, what he was actually looking at, let alone then dislowm the goal. What was your view of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, obviously, as you mentioned, it took a long time for VAR to overturn this, and I had my two younger cousins standing next to me, asking what are they doing?
Speaker 2: When are they deciding?
Speaker 3: And my theory with Var is the longer it takes, the better it's going to be for the opposing team and the decision. I guess, yep, you know that as long as they draw it out, it's going to be overturned. And that was obviously the case on Sunday, and just I couldn't believe I didn't really see the goal because I was up the other end with the port obviously was watching the replays on the screen.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 3: It was certainly offside, but I just couldn't believe how the crowd erupted when when that decision was overturned, and then Auckland f c let off the big smoke fleears going up the other end like they've actually won the game, And Yeah, I just thought it was brilliant and another way to add to the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look at the goal and look, I must have bet and I didn't see the offside in real time. Neither did the assistant referee, so I don't think anybody did. I don't think anybody once the goal had gone in was thinking about var at all were because it's a goal mouth scramble and Hayden Matthews has diverted the ball beyond a couple of defenders, passed Alex Paulsen and off the post for a goal. I think we all think it's a goal. And often they say, hey, VAA is just checking and you think, what are they checking for? The off side in the move is actually a couple of phases back. It's a corner and then there's a heck of a lot of goal scrambling and what is Patrick Klemala the Polish strike of a Sydney has gotten himself into an off side position, has played at the ball from that position, and therefore it's offside. But it seemed to take a huge amount of forensic analysis for them to come up with that decision. Just want to get onto the vaar's role in the winning goal in a moment. But I got a great message here exactly what you talked about from someone who was in the port and he said the thing that sparked the crowd was the delay and then seeing or Fook Talay going mental on the big screen, they got the sense that it was going to be overturned. The raw got louder when Sean Evans signaled the review and when the VR decision came and the powder keg erupted intuitively and simultaneously, the port and the south stand realized the momentum had flipped and Auckland was the only team that was going to score. It was just a matter of time after that. So that describes what you were talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly, I got goosebumps. You're reading it. That was exactly it.
Speaker 3: When when they had over on the screen, I just yeah, it was it was hilarious. It was, It was brilliant. Yeah, couldn't have scripted it any better. I guess for the fans, it just is another game to you know, keep them, keep them coming back.
Speaker 1: So Neil milt into added time, of which there were seven minutes, and in the seventh minute of added time Nando Pineker's goal right in front of the port.
Speaker 3: What was it like up there, Well, it was obviously as as you just mentioned, the momentum shift and you felt that it was coming, something was coming from this game, and just yeah, I remember Nando getting that little back heel and I saw the net ripple in front of me. Just everyone is jumping off their seats, that the whole South stand feels like it's going to collapse, and it's just, yeah, hysterics, what a what a way, you know. I don't think it was the prettiest goal. I was surprised it was nominated for Goal of the week. Yes, it was a back heel, but I think it was probably maybe a little bit fluky. Hope Nando doesn't mind me saying that, but yeah, you know, a win's a win, a goal is a goal.
Speaker 1: Well, I said in the sky coverage afterwards, nobody had a back heel from a center back in the ninety seventh minute on their Bingo card as the key moment in this game. Just on the var looking at this one, or I guess you'd probably say not really looking at this one. When you compare it to the as I said before, forensic analysis that was given to the Sydney goal that was overturned, there was more than a suggestion of handball from Nando Pinneker. I have to say when and I've had a look at it, I think twenty times in the time since I didn't see a handball in real time. I don't think anybody did. But when you look at it and when it slowed down and when you freeze frame, the ball appears to come close to his hands, which is kind of resting against his thigh. It's a rather unnatural position. Now VR have said it hit him on the thigh, it's not handball. We carry on now, I can tell you. Uffok Talay afterwards was absolutely furious at the at the at the goal being awarded and not being more closely looked at by the var because by comparison, it didn't take that long for var Over to not overturn that one to ratify the goal, if you know what I mean. I saw Oofi in the tunnel afterwards before he went to his press conference one. He was apoplectic, absolutely furious, just steaming.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I feel bad for him, but I don't really I didn't even know that was I've clearly missed that again, it must be must have been hard to look at, but yeah, I didn't even know that was being potentially contested a handball from Nando.
Speaker 1: The other one was that there was a suggestion of a push on the back of a Sydney defender in the move as well, But there's a lot of push and shove on the penalty area in those situation as it happened though, Nando Pinecot with the back heel. I can't believe that's been nominated for goal of the week either, honestly, but I guess for what it means. And you know, I guess if your back heel a goal, and I mean it's Nutmegdandra Redmaine as well, he'll be looking back at the I mean it's only just gone over the line, hasn't it the net at all? You know, the rippling of the net. You talked about was the defenders in the back of the net trying to get it out, you know. So it's it's it's some you know, he hasn't blasted at top corner from twenty five yards, but they all count for one, you know, and it's the it's the key moment in the game. It's got them, you know, a second straight win. Only the second side in a league history to win their first two games gold Coaster the other one they won their first three when they joined the league in two thousand and nine ten. But again you look at the occasion that was created and just the energy in that ground for about half an hour beyond the final whistle. I mean, something is something has happened here, you know.
Speaker 3: No appssolutely and I think there would have been a lot of people on the grab a seat in New Zealand at booking flights down to Wellington after that match, just you know, like these wins are so important to keeping fans engaged, and you know, yes, we hope that we're not you know, those those type of fans that don't you know, pack it in and tall poppy syndrome and you know, once they lose, we're not getting behind them. We hope we can be like what the Yellow Fever are to the Phoenix or what the Warriors fans are like to that side, and they just keep coming back and I hope that's the same for the Port. But right now, you know, if they just keep winning, it's going to be epic.
Speaker 1: Speaking of planes, what did you think of the flyover?
Speaker 3: I thought it was brilliant. I just thought, you know, we'd talked about it on the podcast. You know, where of the Phoenix marketing bean? You know, why are they playing it down? Yes we know that they're seasoned in this league, but they seem to be playing this whole thing down. And then you know, they finished there, they finished their round two match. Now they're looking at the Darby and right on queue, here comes the big their big flyover plane, their big marketing plan, and here they are. They've turned up, They've marked their territory and New Zealanders yellow apparently.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was the Phoenix behind it? Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They've got to have something to do with it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like kind of like last last year when someone's so that the player ran on the fan, ran on streaking on the pitch, with the Auckland f C Jersey.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Auckland said something to do with that.
Speaker 1: I think you probably need to look at the in the direction of Ali Williams for that and probably no further. But I look at whether they were involved or not, or whether it was some Phoenix fans or whether it was somebody who you know, I don't know, I really, I've got no intel as the who that I was on the same as you. I think it was absolutely tremendous, just brilliant because it's hit every every news website, it's hit music, radio's social media. It's basically, you know, one plane flying over with a banner on the back has has you know, opened up this derby to so many more people, you know, shots fired early, and it's got people talking about it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I just just tremendous, just quite awesome.
Speaker 3: My only critique was the New Zealand is yellow. I know the Phoenix are yellow and the yellow fever, but like that's Australian color colors.
Speaker 2: Firstly, like maybe they could have.
Speaker 3: Gone like football, like Football's and Wellington or you know, like something along those lines. But other than that, it was brilliant. I want to know Piney. Did you ask the players at the press conference? Did they did they see it? Well, then they look up and see it.
Speaker 1: Well, the only they only set the coaches out. Steve Courka, I didn't see it at the time, he said, he's seen footage afterwards, but.
Speaker 2: Not mid Gay. Well, it was annoying. It keep going round and round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it wasn't just once right, it was pre game, during the game it was it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a good twenty minute so it was hanging around.
Speaker 1: What were the port doing?
Speaker 2: Everyone was just laughing and booing. It was yeah, it was. It was like, no, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good. It's great, an awesome lead into derby week. So this coming Saturday five o'clock Sky Stadium for the first time ever a professional football derby in New Zealand, the first of many to come as Wellington Phoenix host Auckland FC. What the results have done basically give us the top of the table clash as well, albeit only in week three, but Auckland f C are top Wellington at tucked into second place, both teams unbeaten. You've got in the notes that you sent me. No one is calling it the Kiwi Classico why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just feel like the Derby rolls off the tongue a bit better.
Speaker 1: I think it's because it's such a shit name for it. Honestly, I owe that. Who in New Zealand calls anything a classico. It's a European, it's a Spanish. That is a terrible name for the Derby. And I don't know who's come up with it, but I can tell you right now nobody is calling it that, and nobody on the day will call it that. And I can tell you right now on the broadcast, we're not going to be calling it. We're not going to be calling it there.
Speaker 3: It's the same kind of as the Black Knights. No one's really calling them the Black Knights. I'm not sure if you are on the commentary, Pinty, but I'm definitely as I refer to them, I'm always saying AFC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, AFC seems to be the one that, as you say, it's got to be something that rolls off the tongue a little bit.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I think people a lot of people are calling them. It's like a lot of people call the Phoenix the Knicks. Yeah, exactly, who's favorite.
Speaker 2: I think Auckland Sadly.
Speaker 1: They don't have to be emotional about it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm neglecting my roots.
Speaker 1: You don't have to emotional about it, will take aside. You just have to explain yourself.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think on paper, I think the Auckland team is better. I think they're riding off this momentum of them being a new team, and I think the Phoenix will be, you know, a little bit nervous hosting them. It's there's more at stake for them. There's a lot more pressure on their shoulders. So yeah, I'm going probably two NL Auckland f C.
Speaker 1: See. I I think that the Phoenix are narrow favorites for a couple of reasons. One is that they are at home. I think that makes a huge difference. First time Auckland have had to travel they have they have fed hugely off the energy of the crowd in both of those games. The opening game and I'm almost certain like that, you know, I think the port have basically sucked that ball into the back of the net. You know, from that that that that goal right at the end, you know, you do get an energy from the crowd. They're not going to have that in Wellington. The other thing is also is that Auckland f C have scored three goals. One's an own goal, one's a back he'll buy a center back and the other ones Logan Rogerson's nice finish. So it's not as though their attacking players have really set the world on fire in the first two games. Meantime, Wellington Phoenix have let one goal in in two entire games of football. They're a good defensive side. So you know, for for Auckland to score one goal, let alone two, I think it's gonna going to take quite a bit of a you know, an uptick in their attacking momentum. Because I much as I admire Gauzuremo May, I think he's going to be a terrific addition to the A League. Logan Rogerson, Liam Gillian, you know Jake Brimin when he's on Cam Howison. There hasn't really been a heck of a lot of end product from them.
Speaker 3: You know, that's fair enough, Pinney, I completely agree. I think they have been riding off the crowd a lot, and yeah, I think they're going to need a big contingent of Black Knight the Port fans turning up for them this weekend, and yes the pressure is on the Phoenix, but they're at home and they've been in this league a long time.
Speaker 1: So key players for each side, who do you land on when you when you start thinking about who's going to be particularly integral to their sides?
Speaker 3: Well, I think Alex Ruthe for one hundred percent. This is a big game for them. They will be nervous a lot of the younger players as well. You know they're playing it's all whites v all whites, and you know a lot of a lot of rivalry and friendships between those two teams. So I think Alex Ruth is going to be huge and stepping up for his team, and he was obviously huge for them last year as a leader, so I think him there and then probably probably Alex Paulson And that's for Auckland f C. And it's going to be hard for him as well mentally. It's stepping on and playing particularly down that end in front of the Yellow Fever. But for Auckland f C. He's going to need to be on. He's going to need to block that noise out.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have to make a lot of saves in the first two goes he's been and I think that speaks a lot to Auckland f C's defense. But I can't remember Alex Paulson having to make too many saves.
Speaker 3: No, I was thinking this as well, how he hasn't been put under too much pressure. If I'm really critiquing his performance, I think is kicking has been you know, a little bit questionable. Again, it might be the lack of kind of you know balls down that end of the park, but yeah, and he might be nervous as while playing for this club.
Speaker 1: He found he found touch a couple of times, didn't he With a couple of clearances on the weekend, a couple of you know balls that he was I guess presuming was trying to play out to white areas went into went into touch. So yeah, I think I think it's a massive test for Alex Paulson on Saturday. We all know he's an absolutely stupendous goalkeeper. We know this, but he has to go into a place, through no fault of his own, where the fans who used to adore him will now be doing everything in their power to get to him. That's what football fandom is. You know, and like I say, it's no fault of Alex Paulson's He he signed for AFC Bournemouth not expecting to be at AFC, you know, he expected to get to be at Bournemouth and if he was going to be playing in the A League this season. When he signed for Bournemouth, he fully expected that if he was going to be playing in the A League it would be back at Wellington Phoenix. Hasn't worked out that way, No fault of his own. However, the circumstance now presents itself where he has to go out into an absolute call there on Saturday. It'll be a huge test for him mentally one I think that he is up to but I just think it's an extremely interesting layer to this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, one hundred percent, and he's got to own it and he can. He's Yes, he's young, but he's got a good hit on his shoulders and we saw that through his performances last season and yeah, I just want him to own it and I want him to have a good game for his sake.
Speaker 1: The other player I think is going to be extremely important for Auckland is Louis Vastrata. He has just been terrific in the first two games. The best player I think in both games, just sitting in front of that back four. We talked about Alex Paulson not having a lot to do, and I think Louis as Strata is a massive part of that. You know, attacks aren't even getting to the Auckland back four, let alone anywhere near Alex Paulson because Louis us Strata is just this wall in front of Auckland's back four. What a player. I'm so so impressed by him. So in many ways, the two anchors of the midfields, Alex Rufer and Louisistrata, could have a big part to play in their side's fortunes on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be It'll be a really good watch.
Speaker 3: And I you know, I just hope for the neutral fans or you know that. I know there's a lot of people torn. I'm taught myself, you know, I know we're meant to be unbiased, and we just you know, aren't meant to pick a team. But I just hope both teams go out and play a good game for the fans. That's going to be the best thing for football in this country and for the for the rest of the season that you know, it's a good it's a good show, and that will start in the midfield with the two names that you've mentioned, Piney and hopefully a couple of goals from each side. Yeah, I just hope it's hope it's a really entertaining watch.
Speaker 1: See, I reckon it'll be quite cagy early in particular. You know, there'll be nerves, there'll be a lot of hype. It's already building and it's only Tuesday. By the time of Saturday rolls around, there'll be a lot of hype, big crowd. I think there'll be a bit of nervous energy on both sides actually, so there might be some caution. There might be just a little bit of of over adrenalizing of the muscles early in the game. I'm like you because a lot of people will be tuning into it, you know, maybe for the first time to watch a football game. So I hope they go away after a second mount. I'm going to get a bit more of that in them my veins. You know. I love that you land on an interesting point though, What is your advice for Phoenix fans who or for fans who have supported the Phoenix because they were the only team around for the last seventeen years or whatever it's been, who now have Auckland FC as well. Do you think there are fans, particularly ones based in Auckland, who are a bit torn.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I've spoken to a few. Even I'll mention them again. My young cousins, so I went to Auckland with they were born in Wellington, moved to Auckland at a young age, wouldn't even really remember, you know, going to their first Phoenix games. Yet they are Wellington Phoenix through and through. It's like they're living in England and if they support Auckland, you know they've just been they'll be banished. So they even at the weekend they were like, they're living in Auckland, but they couldn't support Auckland. But I was trying to say to them, and I say this to the other fans torn, that it's okay to support two teams. We're not living in England. Where're you die on that you die for that one team?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: How great is it that we've got two Kiwi based teams in this league? Every other week? Go for go for both teams and it will just be tough this week, and I guess you've just got to hope for a hope for a good game and no one gets injured.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got bad news for your cousins. Unfortunately, I've got bad news on You must now decide. You've had two weeks, Grace. That's fine, you've had You've had two weeks of sampling Auckland FC and deciding whether they are for you. But when the first derby arrives, and it has arrived, you must now know, you know your colors to the mast. You must now decide football fans cannot support two teams playing in the same league. I'm sorry, Bonnie, but it's just it's just not what football fandom is about. And I know that you know your young cousin and others will be torn about this, but now is the time to decide. They have to choose.
Speaker 3: Are we going to get any like streakers or anything like that? Are we going to get you know, port fans trying to walk into the yellow fever? Are we going to get any disruptors like that?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. I mean what I hope is that a huge number of Auckland f C fans turn up. There's a there's an away bay at sky Stadium for away fans whoever the Phoenix are playing. And usually, you know, if you're lucky, you might get half a dozen who come across from Australia. Sometimes certain clubs make a bit of a thing of it and you might get thirty or forty. That bay holds a thousand people, and I want it chockers. I want it absolutely packed because you know that when the Phoenix go to Auckland, They're away section will be absolutely packed. But they've got a head start, of course they have. They've got fans in Auckland. And I'm talking to you, Auckland fans. You need to decide. And if you decide Auckland f C, that's totally cool. It's a team in your city. That totally cool. But if you choose Phoenix, you must on the day of a derby at Mount Smart sit with the Phoenix fans and I know you will. Honestly, Bonnie, I cannot stress this enough. This is what football fandom is. You now must decide.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like it, Parney, I like it.
Speaker 1: So I hope, I hope there are a lot of fans I've heard there are several hundred coming and wouldn't that be amazing? Imagine that and imagine because when you go away to support your team, that's when you have to be the loudest. That is when you have to be the noisiest. You have to make it sound as though you're the home team. So I hope those who are coming, and I know a lot of people are make noise from the first whistle to the last.
Speaker 3: Well, the port fans have done two weeks in a row there, they're march down into B twenty two, so I wonder if they'll try and implement something similar along along the concourse. It might be a bit longer, a of a walk at where at sky Stadium?
Speaker 2: Do it? Yeah, do it? It'd be great, Yeah, brilliant, do it.
Speaker 1: You know again, this isn't going to get ug You're right, the really ugly underbelly side of football fandom and other places where you know, it can really go into bad places around violence and things like that. That ain't going to happen here. It's not going to happen. The most that's going to happen is a bit of good natured banter. As long as people are sensible about it. Look at a couple of Auckland the FC fans think it's a bright idea to turn up in yellow fever and blue shirts. They'll quickly get jostled out of there, of course they will. But that's not football fandom. Football fandom is standing with those who support the same team as you do, whether it's home or away, and yelling your lungs out for that team.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right that it will all be friendly banter and you know positive on the day it'll be loud and everyone will be vibing, but hopefully, you know, nothing silly that makes no one not want to come back.
Speaker 1: Simply can't wait. I think it's going to be terrific. They're tracking I think to twenty thousand plus in terms of the crowd, and you've made the point a couple of times, the very good point that are regulous season crowd of that size is a huge help financially to the home team. You know, the Phoenix didn't get anywhere near that for our home game last year until the semi final or to the finals, and by that stage you don't get the money. It goes to apl so to have a regular season crowd of that size, particularly early on in the season outstanding.
Speaker 3: You know, let me just check, Let me just check the weather, because that's obviously go as well.
Speaker 1: Do that.
Speaker 3: Currently sunny at five o'clock for kickoff, windy in the afternoon, but sun comes out at five.
Speaker 1: O'clock, well wind and Wellington is not new as well.
Speaker 2: The Phoenix will surely want one.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, I think, yeah, I wonder. I mean, even though the players know how to play in it a bit better because they have to often want now I don't even want to Yeah, I think no, I think you know. I think if you gave the players the choice between rain and wind, they choose rain every time. The wind just tends to really spoil the game of football anyway. We can't control that, or we can control is the as the hype and that we continue to build around it because I think it is worth hyping. I think Saturday afternoon, a lot of eyes are going to be on sky Stadium, and rightly so. I think it's just a terrific occasion in coming football fever. We've better transfer over to a couple of other things to talk about. Keep's overseas the women. There's an international window on at the moment, isn't there, So no games for the football Ferns as they try and sort out her the next coach is going to be. But I don't think we've mentioned a couple of football Ferns who have recently announced their retirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I don't think we have.
Speaker 3: But Daisy Cleverly and Hannah Wilkinson have both announced their retirement in the past month after the Olympics, and neither of which was selected for the Olympics. Daisy Cleverly had thirty nine caps for New Zealand, playing in Europe and the States, and she went to three World Cups. And then, of course we can't forget Hannah Wilkinson, who was our World Cup hero last year scoring that goal that got us our first win against Norway and had a World Cup. She had one hundred and twenty five caps for the country in a career that spanned over for fourteen years, featuring four World Cups and three Olympics. So yeah, two massive players have been in and around the team for a long time that I'm sure a lot of football Ferns fans will miss.
Speaker 1: And the congratulations to Daisy and Hannah on your professional and international football careers. For the men, Chris Wood just can't stop scoring goal seven and nine matches, now third in the EPL Golden Boot List at the moment. A couple more in the three to one win over Lester getting all sorts of plaud It's all over the place. Chris Wood just doing a magnificent job for Forrest against all expectations are sort of you know, sort of hanging around at the top of the table, certainly in the top half. So he's doing wonderful work. Eli just scored an absolute banger from outside the box and Saint Polton's four to two win in the latest Austrian game. I see Sarprech Singh was on the bench for his Portuguese club today as well. I don't know whether he got minutes or not, but we haven't seen Sarpret in a match day squad since about May, so good to have him back. However, Ben Old has officially been sidelined for what we believe to be between four and six months with his knee injury. I think it is or ankle, but yeah, he'll be out for a bit, which is a big shame. For him, for New Zealand and for Saint Ettieen. And this is the beauty of pre recording, because just as I was going through the last bit of last bit of action there, Bonnie's had to evacuate the Auckland Football Fever studio due to a fire alarm, so she's no longer with us. I do though, want to mention right at the end the start of the Wellington Phoenix women's season. The Liberty A League, or rather the Ninja A League as it's called now, is getting underway this coming weekend and that means for the Wellington Phoenix Women a first game of the season away at Western United nine o'clock on Friday night, So they get the season underway and we're looking forward to seeing how they go with a clutch of new players, a couple of new members of the coaching staff and some new imports to enjoy. So the Wellington Phoenix Women underway Friday night at nine o'clock away at Western United Ironbark Fields, the new home of the Western United Football Club is where they will be playing. That is us on Football Fever. Bonnie is no doubt assembling outside with the rest of the team in the Auckland Studios, So for now I'll say goodbye. We're back with another episode of Football Fever next Monday, as we wrap the Derby, the first game for the Wellington Phoenix Women, and everything else to do with Kiwis playing around the world. Have a good one with Piny and Bonnie.