Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on Iheartradiot Inside the Game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health, tackling all your aches and pains from sports and work back for another week. After Super Rugby Round four, Elliott Smith, Liam Napier and Liam the Crusaders forced to rescue New Zealand rugby again. How many times did the Crusaders have to do it for their country? Just another time? Just add it to the list.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for you, Elliott, but please not get carried away, mate, all right, count came the fun, calm the fun.
Speaker 2: Well, how's being a last on the ladder suiting at the Hurricanes.
Speaker 3: Look, it's been tough starts of the year for the cane train fans. But we'll loyal, Elliott, We'll stick with it and we will hug back the cane trains.
Speaker 2: Like New Zealand's approach to the rail doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: Jesus boyt today, isn't he?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: One winning over the Queens and Reds in best.
Speaker 2: Team in Australia. Mate, let's start there. Actually, Crusaders reads Sunday afternoon and great to see Someday afternoon forty first and foremost three thirty five kickoff right towards the last month of daylight saving sun shining down on christ Jurge and the Crusaders. They were lethal on attack, weren't so great on defense. I didn't think that's still an issue for them this season. But they showed that they can really score tries, which was an issue for them against the Chiefs. And obviously defense remains an issue, as I said, but a good one for the Crusaders. What did you make of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was and Sunday afternoon forty brilliant to see, isn't it. I think the more we can have that time slot in the New Zealand backyard the better. It doesn't work for everyone, doesn't work in Hamilton, but really great day in christ Church and the Crusaders ran rampants. Will Jordan is playing out of his skin this year and his individual trial was brilliant. His injections into the line. He's untouchable at the moment. Severy Reese on the edge is creating Havoc. I think James Marshall and has given the Crusaders a real license to play what they see. They to me, are not playing overly structured. He's given that back line in particular a lot of freedom to play, and that's that they seem to be relishing that sort of style, which is interesting given their former attack coaches in recent times. I thought Ethan Blackheader was really good, some punishing defense individually which created a number of turnovers for the Crusaders to strike, and they just really made the most of conditions. The Reds were a bit off a number of errors, but I thought that was the pressure that the Crusaders put them under. So the best performance of the season for the Crusaders.
Speaker 2: Just on Will Jordan. You're right, he's been scoring and he's been playing magnificently the season. What I've been really liking is a support play and looking for his options either side, which hasn't always necessarily been a strength, but in terms of that fullback role and being a distributed but I think we're seeing more of that this season than maybe we haven't in years past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I also think it's just consistency of game time. It's easy to forget last year he missed the whole of super rugby right, and maybe a confidence to know that he is going to be staying in his preferred position when it comes to the All Blacks later in the year, the confidence of knowing that Razor will back him and that regards and the more he plays, the better he gets. So time on the park and you're right, he is bringing more strings to his bow, getting in the first receiver, exerting his influence. It was telling a couple of games ago when hearing James O'Connor talk about will Joe and overruling him and telling him to move out, get out of the space. I see this and those two working well together. Will Jordan really pulling rank using his voice and experience, like you say in that first receiver capacity, so really taking ownership and that's what the crusaderesn't need it with a young ten and Kimita you know, showing him the way, helping him out, not putting too much on his shoulders. So really stamping his mark on the Crusaders this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't say Kimitda's goalkicking was too flash on the weekend, but I'm beginning to grow and press week to week on how he's growing. Yes, put under a lot of pressure in that last outing against the Chiefs, but I do like the way that they've just stuck with him the season. There was a bit of thought that maybe James I Quitte might start against his old team the Reds, but they've gone with Kimita and unlike last year where he was flashed back to Club Rugby and Hamilton sticking with him to this point of the season. I know we're only into Round five coming up this weekend, but they've given a bit more confidence than maybe he had last season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, backing a young guy, giving him time, that's really helping him. And I think probably James O'Connor's influence behind the scenes will be helping as well. And I also make a note of Kyle Preston's selection at halfback. I thought last year Rob Penny got a lot of selections wrong, didn't back know a hope them where this year he has promoted Kyle Preston.
Speaker 2: Above a centurion the franchise in Mitchell.
Speaker 3: Drummonde exactly and he's backing form and Preston for me, has really taken that on board. It was impressive again, So credit to Rob Penny and that coaching team for adjusting their selection tactics because I didn't think they got those things right last year, where they are getting some things right this season.
Speaker 2: The Readers, so I thought were a threats when they entered the twenty two. They just made too many years on Sunday afternoon to really push the Crusaders. Was fast scoring, especially in the first spell, and there were a couple of moments maybe it looked a bit shaky for the Crusaders and the second spell, but the Readers has kind of left themselves a little bit too much work to do.
Speaker 3: They did and been a bit hot cold this year, and those conditions should have suited them. That's a style of rugby they like to play, use the ball, attack, They've got the athletes, but yeah, they were a bit off.
Speaker 4: Taate McDermott. McDermott trying to spark things.
Speaker 3: Fraser mcwright's got a couple of turnovers, but I'm not sure about Dungunu in the midfields. They yeah, they're just we bit off this year. The Reds just on the Crusaders a bit hot cold this year. There was an impressive performance but if you look at the benchmark, you know that they lost to the Chiefs and had some struggles at other times very early doors.
Speaker 4: But how do you assess them.
Speaker 2: Well better than last year. I think they look like a team playing with a bit more confidence than last year. You mentioned the ability to attack and see what's in front of them. Last year are attacking structure felt far too rigid. They changed tens pretty much every week. They tweaked little things and you said got selections wrong. I think they looked better on the weekend with McLeod in the midfield and well we're coming off the bench late on. He scored that last try for them, so I think the selections have been better. So whether that's Rob Penny deciding to basically you go with the form as you say, and being a little less rigid than maybe we've seen in the past, I think ultimately good that Chiefs lost, you know, heavy loss to the Chiefs and the front runners for this competition stands out. But Week one went against the Hurricanes at home against the Reds, who were touted as one of the big Australian teams promising signs. Don't know where they're going to end up. At the end of the year, still with a lot of kew with Darbies to come. But you look at next weekend, you know weekend after this Blues Crusader's even Park. That's going to be a benchmark, big test for both of these two teams and where they sit in this campaign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big time.
Speaker 3: And I guess the Crusaders are in much better shape from a squad perspective. And look, the Blues can't have too many excuses the stack with all Black.
Speaker 4: They've got a deep squad, but.
Speaker 3: They are heavily injury riddled currently and that was something that affected the Crusaders greatly last year.
Speaker 4: The scripts flip.
Speaker 3: Now they're starting to get guys back like Cody Taylor, a big in for them at this time of year where the Blues lose Bowden Barrett injury clouds over Ricky Telly, they having a reshuffle. I think the Blues will get back Stephen Peterfetta this week so but they have been missing hoskinstitute to Dalton Papae. Sam Dowry's gone for the year. So some big outs for the Blues. Where the Crusaders are in a much healthy estate and forms showing that too.
Speaker 2: Indeed, let's move back to Saturday night. Majea Pacific A forty Hurricanes thirty one. This was a cracking game Mowana just played. I think it was their best performance since they ended Super Rugby. I know they a bit the Hurricanes in twenty twenty two their first year. This was the most well rounded performance that I've seen from them. At halftime, Addie Savia doesn't come back on with hamstring tightness. You think get used to leading fourteen twelve, but it could have easily that could have been the losing of the game, Ardie Savia going off. But in a way it galvanized them and they almost did it for Ardie Savia. Not that I've heard them say that necessarily, but it felt like they did. And we saw a lot of players stand up in that second spell especially, and let's not forget it was forty points to nineteen, you know, with what twelve minutes to go roughly thereabouts, they'd blown the Hurricanes out of the water, probably ran out a bit of puff in that last ten minutes and considered a couple of tries and it got a wee bit nervy. But for me, that was Moe of his best performance and a lot of stand out players in that side that deserve accolades. What did you make of that?
Speaker 3: I think, first and foremost is great to see them wouldn't just get over the line because what was at one point lost to the force. They got blown away by the Reds and probably could have, would have should have beaten the Highlanders. So the improvements was evident from one another share but it didn't mean anything until you get that win. And there was a lot of emotion around this game, with already coming up against his former club, and just with the atmosphere my one are building at in Albany. I think they add about six thousand fans, but by all accounts it's incredibly loud, and they're doing a lot of things well that match. They allowed fans to have bryes all.
Speaker 2: Of the South Africans on the north shore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all barbecues outside the ground, So really enhancing the fan experience, and we've seen that in other codes. With AUKFC doing a lot of things around their match, they experience so wine of doing things out of the box, doing a lot of things well off the field, and finally they got over the line. So really happy for them. In that regards the match itself. You mentioned Artie going off and that was such a big tick for them because he had carried them on his shoulders against the Highlanders and he was their big off field signing. But to do it without him, that will be a massive confidence boost for them. Patrick Pellegrino, massive performance for him. You know, Jackson Garden Bashett was brought in the off season, but this guy really stepped up and in a different style of rugby I think than you're used to from a ten in super rugby. His controlling influences, kicking game. I think it's brought over from Coventry and clearly that experience in the Northern Hemisphere.
Speaker 4: Has served him well.
Speaker 3: Miracle Fire Lungy three tries and he's been a big mover signed out of Samoa Club Rugby effectively in the last couple of years. So another big tick for that pathway and a real sign of that progression. So some really positive signs from one. You did mention there that in their first year they did beat the Hurricanes, so and I did look at their draw coming up.
Speaker 4: I think they play the.
Speaker 2: Chiefs in Bookakoe after the buy.
Speaker 4: And the Crusaders.
Speaker 3: So it is a tough draw and they do need to back it up and that was the message from tana Umanga and Artie. Severe but really positive science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And they were supposed to play in Tonga next against the Chiefs after the buy, which would have been a different complexion to that game entirely off the back of that game. They're playing now in Pooka Koe, which you know is still going to be a great home game for them, but you almost want back at the North Shore and just keep building that fan base over the next wee wile, given how strong it's been.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, let's touch on that tongue again. Very disappointing, isn't it because Muana as a fundamental purpose of their team to have that connection back to the island nations is very important, but the reality of it is extremely difficult from a financial point of view, from an infrastructure clearly, there's big issues in some of those island nations. We've seen i think the Tonglan rugby boards cleaned out in recent times and you know there's long standing corruption issues. So really disappointing that Mona can't take that fixture back and galvanize those connections.
Speaker 2: It is a shame, and I think it was by and large down to the floodlights that they couldn't get in time. I think a couple of other issues that seemed to be the main one, and that's frustrating because they did play there last year. It's a great occasion against the Highlanders, and then not to have that game in a couple of weeks. They've looked dead to twenty twenty six. But the more connections they can build with the Islands and their home, their spiritual home, the better I think for them. All those players you mentioned were excellent again. Palegrini come one and point out Kiren Tianmoi Flou played for Tongler in twenty twenty three. Born and raised in Marlbrook. Is he an All Blacks prospect in twenty twenty six months he completes his three years stand down? Is he interested in playing for the All Blacks in three years time or does he want to continue playing for Tongy. He didn't play for them last year, didn't have much of an international program last year Tonger. Do the All Blacks look at him from twenty twenty six, still very young, only twenty one years of age and he's been excellent for MO one of this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think for most of those Island players, their heart is in the island, but their financial future is with the All Blacks, right, And if you think about everything that the All Blacks wrap around you and the prestige that comes with it's the doors that are open in terms of overseas opportunities and just setting yourself up from a career point of view, that's probably your aspiration, isn't it. It's the same for Tava Tavanawa by all accounts, he's turned down Fiji to pursue the quest to play for the All Blacks. We saw it with Peter gustso Koula played one or two tests and then's ineligible for Fiji. So it's quite delicate and it does spark a lot of debate about what is the best pathway and even some suggestions that you know, the All Blacks pick guys like Peter Gust to deny for you the opportunity, which I don't believe him. But if there was some way to bridge the financial gap, then maybe these guys would play for the island.
Speaker 2: And it's also not what Mowana was created for You know current time boy Flowers played for Tonga. He's got the shop window there of playing in Super Rugby. Now. I haven't spoken to the bloke, don't know if he wants to play for the All Blacks. He may continue playing for Tonga, but wouldn't surprise me if the All Blacks come knocking or are knocking and going just stand down for eighteen more months and you know the All Blacks could come knocking in twenty twenty six. Another player as well, So Misi Tupo Tailwa. Just want to give him a note because I think he's been the pick of the season from Muana. Wasn't in their training squad. I know he played for Southland in the NBC. They couldn't believe down there that he missed out on a Super Rugby contract with the Highland his first and foremost. But anyone wyna pick him up as a training member. He's now played all four of their games this season off the back of the scrum, combining really well with Ardisavia and Miracle filing. He's playing excellent. What's going on with the Hurricanes.
Speaker 3: Though, Look, I think they've got some big outs, but there's enough talent in that team that they should be performing better. It has been a very disappointing year. They're very fractured. Some of those guys coming back will make a big difference.
Speaker 2: But I think they had twelve players injured heading into that game, which is a lot. Yeah, I mean every team needs in Daland's got a lot of injuries at the month.
Speaker 3: They do, and it's hard you take that into consideration, but you still look at some of the talent that is on the park for them, guys like Peter Luckeye break through player last year to see, you know, I think obviously Cam Roygard was on the bench. But yeah, I expect more from the Hurricanes to this point, and it's not going to get any easier. So dropping games against teams like Mowana, who when you start the year you expect to beat, is really good, and at this point you'd say they're certainly not a top six finals thing.
Speaker 2: And just doing some silly shit as well, like Isaiahacer, Larry Lear weird and taking out the legs of Danny Toy. I'm surprised more didn't come with that, to be entirely honest with you, Fiji and drew it twenty eight Chiefs twenty four special after and again in Laotoka. How many of these have we been having bucketed down for the first spell, some came out in the second spell and Fiji get their noses in front and win it. Odds we game of rugby this one. But look the drawer. They're very very hard to beat in Lautoka, and the Chiefs found that out the hard.
Speaker 3: Way they did, and conditions played a big factor, and it was actually the Doer's ball control that was vastly superior to the Chiefs and won them the game. It's a couple of brilliant individual moments, a couple of lot of brain explosions from the Chiefs. They were forced to chase the game and push passes and that hurt them. But man, what an occasion, what an atmosphere it is in Lawotoka. I'd love to be at one of those fixtures and really soak it up. You would have needed your poncho and.
Speaker 4: All the umbrellas are out in the first half.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how much of the game the crowd actually saw all the all the brollies up, but look, the Duror were the same as Mawana went. They'd been there, they'd been in the fight, lost matches late to the waratas and the like, but they are a completely different beast at home.
Speaker 2: They are one step for you, which sort of sums up to the game for me. Against the Brumbies, the Chiefs have six hundred and twelve running meters against the drawer two hundred and eighty seven, and that's down to conditions, but also just the Druid, you know, just suffocated them to an extent. Cortez Razama barely made a meter four, couldn't snipe around the ruck. You just basically shoveled it off all day long while he was out in the park. The Chiefs weren't allowed to play the game that they love to play, and we know that's the key to shutting them down. But the Drawer went out and did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you look at that Brumbies game.
Speaker 3: I think it was a Saturday afternoon fixture, bathed in sunshine. And you go to Laotoka though, and the Chiefs are stuck in the mud, aren't They couldn't get that go forward, Josh Jacob. Quite a tough day as packs not getting ascendency and the drawers rushing up, knocking you over really tough to the office and that go forward makes all the difference.
Speaker 2: It does. Indeed, also a story last week around the drawer and some of the way that being treated by what's the word, I guess probably for me. It strikes into external providers, some around the transportation and their hotels. Just not a great look for Super Rugby. I think by and large it seems to be down to the external providers, the accommodation, buses, etc. That are there, but just leaves us how it tastes when you're not treating, you know, visitors to your country the way they should be treated.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was any ill will, no or intent necessary, but it's not good enough.
Speaker 4: By all accounts.
Speaker 3: Teams that travel to Fiji treated like kings, hugely popular with locals and everything's laid on you start resorts, the transportation and everything like that, and that needs to be reciprocated.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That Fiji arrived about midnight and Wellington for those who don't know the story, their bus was three hours late. They ended up traveling in the back of a truck to Napier. On the day of the game. The Hurricanes had a late checkout from their hotel and Fiji did not, so they're sleeping in the hotel lobby and just really compromise preparation for the game, and they go on to lose the match late by a couple of points or was at one point one last try at the end. So those sort of things can make a difference and it needs to be equal opportunities for everyone and it needs to be rectified to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Speaking of not happening again, the Brumbies peak the Blues twenty one twenty at Eden Park. Very odd game. I mean it is as simple as Boden Bowrett goes off at halftime and that was the winning and losing of the game for the Blues.
Speaker 3: Potentially, yeah, it shouldn't be one player should not have that much influence, but he was the real spark, lifeblood of the Blues in that first half, scored a brilliant individual try, coming into ten for the first time this year for the Blues. Did make a real impact. And then he goes off and the Blues don't score a second half point stagger.
Speaker 2: It was just like the more the longer they second half went on, the more it's sort of bigger belief that the Blues were playing this bad and just went able to take the game by the scruff of the neck. That was, you know, in their hands. They scored before halftime, made it twenty points to ten at the break from memory, and then just sort of froze in the second spell. Poor decision making, playing at the wrong areas of the field, and they're almost just begging the Brumbies to take it by the end of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it wasn't wasn't as if the Brumbies grabbed it by the scruff or really dominated.
Speaker 4: It was the Blues killing themselves.
Speaker 3: And for me, the big stark realities were how badly their set piece disorientated. And that's vern Cod's blueprint, isn't it. You know, the set piece, the for domination. That's what won the Blues the title last year. And here the Blues were their lineout's buckling late. They considered the scrum penalty at the death, which cost them the result. So some massive work ons there. And at this point for the Blues, it's not complacency because you're losing and you're getting both barrels from Verlin Cotta behind closed doors. There is no hint of complacency at this point, So how do they turn this around?
Speaker 2: Well, we'll dig into it more in the final four, but I think they got it right by putting Bone and Barret at ten on the weekend. Now he's going to be out for we don't know who. Haven't had a confirmation, but we're probably guess around six to eight weeks usually for an injury like that, So they had it right there. For me, I think they need to put pera Feder at ten if he's coming back this week, as you hinted at and earlier on the podcast, I think he's got to start at ten. He is an all Blacks ten. He's all Blacks playmaker. He's been in that all Black squad so to his Harry Plumber, but not as much. I think you need to give him the keys to this team, and that is the way I can see there being a little bit more direction around it. We talked about last week, and I correspondent Dave, who listened to the podcast messas just on Twitter and said some stats to sort of back up. We talked about the Blues midfield last week, and some of the stats aren't available until sort of Wednesday Thursday. But in terms of defenders beaten, I think combined it was about eight for Rico Yowani and aj Lambon midfield, and Damie McKenzie's beaten about eighteen on his own. So they're just not breaking the line as easily as they were last year. So I think there's issues with that back line, but it's ultimately down to the Fords and they're just not getting the ascendancy that they were used to last year. There's been some changes, you know, Kerry Juannie Love my Haen is gone, but they just don't seem like the team they were last year.
Speaker 3: No, they don't, and you can point to the injuries, but I would I'll put the heat on the coaching staff, to be honest. You've got Vern Cotter, You've got Paul Tito, Greg Feek, this is a very well renowned coaching team. Jason O'Halloran as an attack coach, and how do you go from a championship winning team to really struggling week to week. You know that you've got to put some heat on that on that coaching team, I think at this point to turn things around. You look at other teams in this competition they don't have the same depth, they don't have the same number of all blacks.
Speaker 4: So yeah, pressures starting the build it is.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we'll have some more thoughts on that after a quick break here on Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fans.
Speaker 2: Try try ten sixty sec every tackle to get up again. I take him afore time.
Speaker 4: It's Rugby Direct, ladies.
Speaker 2: You're back with the final four on Rugby Direct. Full rugby topics that we race on through and debates. Topic number one, Let's go to the Six Nations limb. Should Tiger Burn have been charged or carded for the folding of Antoine DuPont's leg in that French Island game.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go no.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was intent or an intense not The only category is we've seen players red carded for accidental head clashes and the like. But I think it was an accidents, a mishap, and look, you can go on Twitter and there'll be all sorts of outrage. Irelands had probably taken South Africa's places as France's most hated team, but look, that wasn't the winning and losing of that game. France still went on to win it, But in terms of that incident, I don't believe it was worth a card.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think Ingus Gardner and co riffed it relatively well. Rugby incident, I mean, Faby and Guilty cited that incident and the World Rugby Discipline officers said, there's nothing to see here. I don't know that Antoine DuPont was in the best position, not that it was his faults, but I don't think he's in the best position in that ruck and Tiger Burn comes sort of falling over it a rugby It was a rugby incident, and just sometimes that happens in.
Speaker 3: Rugby, it does, and very unfortunate, and when it happens to the world's regarded best player in the world, it's very high profile.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just just on that game.
Speaker 3: Magnificent win for France, real statement performance, need for speed, and I think it does confirm that Ireland needs some regeneration as well. Who wins the six nations going into the final round France, England's have a real shot at it and Islands.
Speaker 2: France will beat Scotland at home. I think it'll come down obviously the last game, but I.
Speaker 3: Think they to guarantee that they need a bonus point. Well because England play Wales.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean I wasn't that impressed with England against Italy. I think France when they'll beat Scotland at home, Yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: And that's a real reflection of where things set up north with it, and maybe we need to pig things back about France's B team coming here.
Speaker 2: Well no, well, yes to no. I mean that was their eighteen that beat Ireland. How many of those players are going to be down here. Yeah, no, fair point, and we didn't see the B team on the weekend.
Speaker 3: That was by far and away their strongest team they put out this year as well. They got a fair few players back. Look, yeah, I was just been stoking the flames here, but you know I.
Speaker 2: Have read an interesting column on the Hero about that yesterday. Yes two, we didn't touch on us before, but Liam one win, three losses. Is it time to panic about the Blues? Not just yet, but I think it is. You go sorry, it can really get away from you.
Speaker 3: I think the Blues, if they can get into the finals, will still be difficult prospect, but losing becomes a habit and there does look to be something really missed this year, and going down to play the Chiefs and Hamilton this weekend, it is very hard to see the Blues winning that it is.
Speaker 2: And then you look at their drawer and they've got the Crusaders next weekend which they could win, but again it's in New Zealand Derby. Those are tough games. They have the buye after that, then they have the Hurricanes at home, they have Mwana at home, they have the Crusaders away. They've got if you include mo Wada Pacifica as a New Zealand derby and the way they're playing, that's five straight New Zealand Derby's or games against New Zealand opposition based opposition to come. That's a tough draw.
Speaker 4: Bloody tough. And look, the Chiefs will be.
Speaker 3: Hurting after their loss in Fiji coming back home. They've beaten the Blues once this year already at Eden Park. That local derby means a lot to them and that is an incredibly tough run. The Blues need some bodies back. That buyer can't come soon enough. But yeah, they really need to stop the rock.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: On the other side of things, their men might be playing poorly, but the women playing great. Can anyone stop their Blues? Women winning or picky? If I asked this question this time last week after the belt in the Hurricanes, I would have said no. But having looked at it on the weekend, they just sneak past the Chiefs. So they had belted by sixty points in pre season with the lap Porsche of women Wickliffe try on the weekend at even par Master two just building quite nicely. So for me it's a two horse race in Blues and Matter two Chiefs and behind Hurricanes. Don't look overly flash at all.
Speaker 3: No, and look, if you had put the house on it right now, you'd say the Blues. But finals footyn can do funny things to teams. And you mentioned the Matter two that they are building nicely, And yeah, the Chiefs pushed the Blues to the brink, so I don't think it's a foregone conclusion just yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it's an interesting old competition this weekend, and sorry, this season and this weekends' interesting as well. And topic number four Russi Erasmus stoked some more flames, as he likes to do last week by suggesting the rugby championship should be aligned with the six Nations windows so played in February March. This isn't entirely new because if you acall friend of the podcast, Hamish mcclennan suggested this film. He spoke to him last year year before, formerly the Australian Rugby year. He was in that position at the time and I believe there was a retraction that had to be issued by SANSA as a result of that. Do you like the idea? Would it work?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I don't like it. I like summer being summer and rugby is a winter sport. And this isn't just a New Zealand pushback. I think Australia doesn't want it in that window either, And to be frank, the Springboks don't need any help they I can totally see it from Russy's perspective. Their players play all year round with their club teams based up north. It is a relentless schedule. But we don't need to be bending over backwards just to look after the spring Box.
Speaker 4: So I understand where he's coming from.
Speaker 3: By all means, throw the idea out there, but it has been discussed, as you mentioned in recent times. I think the Rugby Championships and its current cycle is locked until twenty.
Speaker 2: Well remember the taking a break from it twenty six with the Rugby his greatest rivalry tour. So but the next it's up in the year a little bit.
Speaker 3: But yes, the next broadcast will lock it in for the next six years in the current window.
Speaker 4: So look, I can't see it moving.
Speaker 2: No, no, indeed, let's get into some tipping, and great news for fans of mine out there. I've sneaked ahead of you after a big two from five weekend.
Speaker 4: Great weekend on the punch.
Speaker 2: Liam one from five. You picked the Blues Cheese, the Canes, tick Reds and red you did, and I got the Drewer and the Crusaders correct. So wasn't a great weekend for either of us. But I lead eleven to ten. This after twenty games.
Speaker 4: Just quickly. That's great for the compo, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely the fact that fifty percent of these games roughly have been results that we didn't expect, didn't tip.
Speaker 4: It was a real giant killing weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you look at the latter as well, it's so congested and you know the Crusader went from bott to fourth on the weekend. That's how tight it is at the moment. And you know the Hurricanes bottom. If they beat the Highlanders this weekend, they'll leap right up as well. And yeah, we keep talking about it, but the Super Raby comp before we get into tipping, is just absolutely out the gate this season.
Speaker 3: It is stylistically and just just genuine upsets. You're tuning and you do not know who's going to win. That's that's what we've been crying out for in the past few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is Highland is Hurricanes Friday nights. Gold's what iHeart radio under the roof in Dneede and seven o five. This is fascinating, isn't it.
Speaker 3: This is a real you know what, I'm going to tip the Landers in that one. A. I think the Hurricanes are struggling. They got Ruben and Love back at the weekends, but yeah, I think they're in a bit of a hole and I think the Highland is coming off the by they could get a few players back, So yeah, Jamie Joseph, have them prime to go under the roof.
Speaker 2: Cheap as I'm picking the Hurricanes and you're not unbelievable. Brumb's versus the drawer in Canberra. Can the drawer continue there winning ways after beating the Chiefs in Lautoka by going to Canberra. It'll be a cold night in Canberra. I don't know the forecast, but at the word.
Speaker 3: Cold slight contrast to Lauatoka, isn't it. No, the drawer unfortunately a bit of a different beast away from home and the Brumbies.
Speaker 2: No. I think Brumbies will return home after that one over the Blues at Eton Park and grab that one as well. Crusaders Force four to thirty five Saturday afternoon. Disappointed by the Force on the weekends against the Waratahs. I tipped them and they didn't really show up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought there might be a chance of an upset there. Note the Stators get that done comfortably.
Speaker 2: Crusade on. Great to have you on board, Chiefs and Blues. This is a fascinating game in so many ways on Saturday night in Hamilton. Make or break for the Blues in terms of their season, Probably not, but just it's a big focal point. I suppose. Man, it's not the right to them, but just this is going to suggest which way this season's probably going to go. They lose they're still in the playoff mix, but to see them winning the comp from that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think the Chiefs were that, but I will side with you on Stephen Peter Fetter likely to return this week. I would be making him ten. I really like the way he challenges the line creates for others, and you know they've got more options at fallback. Cole Forbes not a great night under the high ball, but he could come again. It's not the way I think they'll go, but they could be forced into that position in the coming week.
Speaker 4: So Chiefs to win for.
Speaker 2: Me and stay against State mat against mate sort of. Reds Wartarz at sun Corpse Stadium rounds us out on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's another real flip of the coin, isn't it. I'm going to go the Reds without any form of confidence. Good win for the Wartars over the Force. But I've been a bit patchy this year.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Wartorze to remain unbeaten, the competition's only unbeaten team. Well, you would stoke in their flames, Yeah, exactly, and they're doing it without Suweli, which is very impressive. The Rugby Directs Medal two onested coverted medal, leading the points at the stage to Morthy Taanawa with eight, Ardie sav six and Quintepie six and in fourth is Damien McKenzie.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go Will Jordan for three smashing it out of the park, Miracle Fire Lungey for two three tries, big performance from him, and I'm going to give one to Ethan Blackhead on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was excellent, I thought on the weekend. I'm giving my three to Patrick Palagrini from Morana Pacifica potentially the bye of the season, with aud your respect to Jackson Guarded Baship. He looks a cut above Garden Baship. The way he's played on the weekend and the last and even when he came off the bench against the Highland has tuned that game around the thirty one to ten down. He looks like an excellent prospect that has somehow seemingly gone under the radar. I'm giving two to Miracle Fire Lungey as well. I thought he was very very good in that game, and I'm going to give one to sev Reese as well. Tossed up between him and Will Jordan, but you know we've got your three, so I'm better give sevu something Rugby Howard Buddies talks itv MVP voting done on Rugby Direct before we go. Jack Measley, chief executive of Super Rugby, has been good enough to check in with us a month into the competition, and this competition is absolutely humming. Along Jack Measley, thanks to your time on Rugby Direct. You must be delighted about how the first month of Super Ruggy Pacific twenty twenty five is gone.
Speaker 5: Absolutely delighted early and great to talk to you. Yeah, and fantastic to be in New Zealand and get to some of the games and witness witness some of the upsets. So I was lucky enough to be out of Eden Park and also also up and now we need to watch more Pacific get the better of the Canes and yeah, great.
Speaker 2: To see everyone's trying to put their finger on it. But it surely can't be as simple as just that. The rebels going, You're down to eleven teams, the competition, the talent spreads a bit wider. It can't be that simple, surely.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think so. I mean, I think there's a whole host of factors that have gone into it. You know, Rugby Australia have been working incredibly hard over the pastor of eighteen months and I think it's made some really great nerves. You got the rebels happening there. Obviously wider specific have done a hell a lot of the work on their organization and you know, are really seeing some great results. You add that to some new rules and the match officials adding a bit of pace in the game early in the season, with a bit of heat. You know, I think all of those things are coming together to create to create sort of the outcomes that we're seeing.
Speaker 2: I guess you look at the scoring as well, very very high scoring, which is reminiscent of perhaps the early days in Super rugby. Is that early season, you know, cobwebs being blown out or is it some of those tweaks that have been made to some of the rules and over the last couple of years sort of now telling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think it's still a record year so far after after four rounds of sixty three average points per game, so record in Super rugby history. I think it's a lot to do with the coming into the game, you know, through the new rules, probably due to a bit of early season conditioning, match officials again doing a good job at moving the game forward. And then yeah, I think with that fatigue, you know, we're seeing defenses get stretched and and and some great trials out at the Crusaders burst the Reds game down in christ Church on Sunday, both teams were just absolutely out on their feet towards the end of the game and really noticeable.
Speaker 2: I don't I guess we talked at the launch in Sydney and obviously all the work that you and Sue Rugby had done, you know, it's up to the players and the teams by that point to pick the ball up and run with it, excuse the pun and they have in the opening rounds and the tightness of the competition has been incredible. This must be good for TV numbers, crowd numbers, et cetera as you look to build over the next couple of months heading into the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think you're right, Eliot. I mean you can see the players and the coaches. I think they're as excited as we all are about what we're seeing. And I think that's probably adding to what we're seeing on the park. It's being played with great intent and you know, just a bit of fever around. Yeah, and it is, it is, it's really helping with the results. It was great to see Sky publish some really great results for Super Ruggly specific after the first three rounds twelve percent up on the first three rounds on last year, which we know, which we know grew year on year. And you know in stadium too, you know, we know we've got we've got some opportunities to continue to work on that, but we're seeing good growth there as well. So really pleasing that people are switching on and switching on, you know, for longer. Right, So those close games mean that people stay in the game. And then you know, with fantasy and with unexpected results, people want to watch more than just their team, and that's that seems to be playing out.
Speaker 2: I know you've been around the country and New Zealand speaking to the CEOs and visiting the teams. What have they told you about the way the competition's going this year? The feedback you've been getting.
Speaker 5: Really good. I think the cees managed to wear two hats. They want they want the best for the competition and clearly they want the best of their for their clubs. Sometimes that doesn't that doesn't always align, but I think they're really pleased with how it's going. You know, I was sitting next to Andrew Ware at the Blues game on Friday night and a full time he did say to me, he goes, Jack, don't tell me that was good for the competition. I think deep down he would have loved to see the Blues wom but he knows that the Brumbies making breaking that twelve of you hudo is absolutely a great result for the competition. Yeah. So see, he's been really supportive and I think really happy with how it's coming. After four round.
Speaker 2: Jack Measley with us on Rugby Directs, so grateful for him checking in and updating us on how the competition is tracking, how the Super Rugby teams are feeling about it. The Blues perhaps not so happy as we heard about Andrew or then Liam. That about does us for another week of Rugby Direct. It's been another busy old week and super ruggy, isn't.
Speaker 3: It has hold tight and it's the tipping improves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah for you. Maybe I'm out in front, I'm one point ahead and you know, if you try and catch me, if you can you're right there, train. That's right, it's a bit in the cane train. Let's wrap things up on Rugby Directs. Thanks to Andy Duff for producing this one. We're back next week. Could see our friends with habit health tackling, or your aches and pains from sporting work.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio