Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio Straight down the Middle, Try try get inside the game from every goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliot Smith and Leam Napier powered by News Talks at B.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct, powered by Excess Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level. Two days away from Test Matt Rugby once again the Nations Championship, not that you'll see it on the All Black sleeve, of course. Elliott Smith with me Liam Napier naps the Blacks name their team to play the Irish. The drums had been beating all week long for to provide the start up Blindside flank. Da've Renny dropped a massive hint speaking to Sky last week and then the whispers were beginning that he was going to start up Blindside and sure enough he is. Is that the top line for you from this All Blacks team?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely. It's the perennial, recurring, unsolvable theme of the All Blacks going back however many years, however, many trials and experiments, and it comes full circle again, doesn't it. Ian Foster tried to provide on the blind Side. Scott Robertson tried him there, and now Dave Reny, three weeks into his tenure, picks his third Blindside flank. I'm unconvinced elliotts He brings size, he is clearly a great line out option, but I think he lacks pace and it is quite the contrast to all the messaging that we've had from Ny around speeds pace optimism, and you're sacrificing a lot of mobility and speed to the breakdown by supersizing your pack, not only with Tuper Vibe but also Patrick Tuopelow too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we New Zealand is searching for this body, this this archetype that we're looking for just a lot in on blind Side and we have not really found one since drom Can. Everyone knows the story that they have tried so many options over the years. You we could spend probably half an hour listing that the players that have gone through that six Jusisian Frazal's back in New Zealand Rugby later in there. It could be another option.
Speaker 3: He had maybe one year where he nailed it. There was that test against the spring box. It mounts smart. But it was pretty fleeting, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Totally absolutely, But there's been a clamoring to get him back in New Zealand. Rugby will be later in the year, but for now they're gone with two po I on one hand, I think, you know, we've had Dave Any say that the numbers on the back don't matter. But evidently they are looking for this archetype on the blind side that they have not been able to nail down, and they hope that over time that tupers it's something that's going to click there. But he's just so good at lot and he's clearly in the top two locks in the country, at least I think it is. And so you're, you know, Robin Peter to pay Paul essentially in your team try and band aid up the blind side. I don't know that you gain much. I mean, Peter Lucky started there a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was okay without being you know, shooting the lights out. I think there's a lot of work to do for him there. But clearly with three players starting in that role in his many weeks, they're back. Still haven't found what they're looking for to paraphrase you.
Speaker 3: Too, No they haven't. Look I My view of this is it's been over complicated to a point and it's partly due to Artie Severe's switch from open side to number eights. Dave Rennie seems wedded to that. Maybe he wants to use him on the wider channels, but I would be starting Peter Luck I had eight. I think he's among New Zealand's best loose forwards. He's such a dynamic ball carrier. I thought he was really good and that opening test. I was surprised to see him replaced. So and Brennie is clearly a big fan of Luke Jacobson, and I think he has been very good. But a loose trio of Luckeye eight, Severe at seven and Jacobson in his more traditional role of blindside does give you those complimentary skill sets is not necessarily the big bodies that you need. And I think via selection for me and too, Polo Tu reflects the fact that the All Blacks haven't got enough pay from their ball carriers. They haven't been physically dominance. Italy caused them big problems at the breakdown. They just went wide to wides. They didn't break that defensive line. So I think Rennie's wanting more physicality, more size, more power, and he clearly wants to target island set piece. I think the Irish of vulnerable. They're scrum and they use their line out as a massive weapon as well.
Speaker 2: They do. I think Sam Darry's one of the All It's best over the first couple of weeks, But maybe is he just not bringing that physicality that the All Blacks need to get over the game line.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's partly partly the reason for that. But I agree, I think Sam Darry was excellent, highly involved, and he did get some punch or bolen hand, very good at the line out. Patrick Tuopolota's vastly more senior, probably hasn't. I can't remember the He was very good off the bench for the All Black center with the.
Speaker 2: Role and it probably will be maybe the R I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe it won't be when Fabian Holland comes back that.
Speaker 2: He slots into. But then if you're going to have two per fine on the blind side, then maybe it isn't the role that he slides into. So a few question marks Patrick, when you consider him very good player, I do wonder where the thirty minutes at the back end of the game is better use of him than first fifty in a Test match like this. And I was looking at the stats before. It's something like he's played fifty seven of about one hundred fifty four tests the All Blacks have played since he debuted, So he's a lot of injuries. He's he's gone from sort of you know, being behind white lock and retallic early in his career and getting the odd appearance and having you know, has said a lot of injuries. So big opportunity for him this weekend to see what he can do elsewhere on that All Blacks team. Josh Molby on the left wing a little bit of a surprise. Suspected to go back to Cayler Clark here, but what it signals is that they were really impressed from Josh Molby last week. He hasn't played a great deal. It's a bit, but not a great deal on the left wing.
Speaker 3: So we talked today only only rarely for wak Ut in the NPC. So look, it's not a major shift, but it's it's ball carrying. It's which you fend with some.
Speaker 2: Players more comfortable switching than others as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think I like that selection. It is a real reward for form. And Molby looked immediately comfortable. Didn't the off the bench last week. His pace, anticipation, skill executions. He's also a natural fullback, so quite proficient in the air. And I think Ireland will certainly test the all blacks there. And I think back to Caleb Clark coming off the bench in South Africa and in Australia, and he actually did bring a lot, so I don't mind. It is you to hold yourself a little bit carrying a winger. It is a bit of a luxury, I think because of the versatility that a lot of players have. But I have liked what Caleb Clark has brought off the bench. That would have been a fine line decision. Also, Tyro Lomax comes in to start at tighthead prop. I have a wee bit of a question mark about Fritz Nuwell on the bench. I don't view him as an impact player necessarily.
Speaker 2: Neither do Well. Look, he made some impacts this year. There's a scorching run against mo one O Pacifika from fifty sixty meters out. He's not you know, it's a different side of the scrump. He's not an a Meia type impact. But I think what you signal skive at your original point around targeting score island and the set piece is that Neils a very very good scrummer er. If they can bring him on, maybe they're scrump for penalties later in the contest and working them over that way. If it's a little bit tight, you can you can go back to your set piece and scrum.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you're right. You've got the complimentary elements there, aren't you. Newle's going to be your scrum rock and new Mers your mobile dynamic impact player off the bench, So ticking both boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On another note, I'm a little bit surprised that they didn't give Cody Taylor a spell last week. And this is going back seven days, but I would have given Cody one of these tests off. You know, he's played a lot of rugby this year, a lot of rugby over his career. I think out of the frontline all Blacks getting him towards the twenty twenty seven World Cup, just I think you've got to get on more up to test level. Not that he's not, but you know, he hasn't played a lot of Test Rugby's been in and out, you know, almost going over a decade now at Takiyaho, we know what he can do. But I would have liked to see them play a Test match together over the series. With it was this week, whether it was last week, I think that's a miss trick from the All Blacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I think last week was too conservative of the selections and that was certainly one. I think you could have started Takyajo and brought more off the bench or vice versa, given those guys more exposure. So I think that was that was certainly a missed opportunity. What about no Boden Barrett, no Simon Parker, no Kyle Preston. Those guys aren't gonna feature at all, and these Three Nations Championship Test is at a surprise, a.
Speaker 2: Long time without rugby for those three. Yeah, when they get knocked out of the Super Rugby pluffs, if you're Bote and Barritt and Kyle Preston, you got to week two that's due middle of June. It's going to be until about the seventh of August and theory until they play rugby unless they go out and you know, knock around in the first round of MPC potentially, but I'm not sure that they will. So it's a long time without rugby for these guys. They'll probably play the Stormers. But yeah, I would have liked to see Kyle Preuston get an opportunity at some point over these three weeks. And Boden Barrett, I think the juries out whether he is the right person at ten for the All Blacks, but I think the jury's out on Ruben Love still a bit as well. But I think maybe he could have looked at him at fullback in one of these weeks too. I think he's still got something to offer this All Blacks team. We're slotson, I don't know. Simon Parker Wills goes back to the conversation around Blindside that he was another option last year. He was number eight and.
Speaker 3: It was the predominant option at six. Super Bowl was injured. But for the back half of the year, throughout those November tests, he started all of the major tests.
Speaker 2: And he didn't quite take his opportunity. So he's another one that is going to be without rugby, so maybe get some time for the tunny far But I mean they've only got preseason then they go to South Africa, so three players that won't be used I think as a real question mark, and they're going to come into South Africa with not a lot of rugby under the belt. Speaking of Dave, Rennie said that every one in that touring squad, which will be forty four strong, we'll get some game time over the first week and Sixtyo benches a possibility as well, so we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no great surprise. I think he did definitively rule out Richie Wog from that tour unless there's an injury. So I'd heard he'd been pushing quite hard behind the scenes but obviously got no rigor room from the New Ziana Rugby board on that. Muwanga will make his comeback with Canterbury, as will Shennon Frazel for Tasman. They'll tick the provincial eligibility box and then they will need an injury in the loose forwards for f Razel and fall back or first five for mu Wonga to be called up, and I would be shocked if that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: But for fit and AfOR who was leaving the country, can be selected for the All Blacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah good. I mean it's Rubik's Cube of stipulations, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Indeed, since we chatted on Monday with Jordy Barrett, it's not trained on Tuesday. Dave really insisting today that he is good to go with the league niggle that he was carrying. I was there Tuesday training. We went in for about fifteen minutes and he was fully in a track suit and you know it was on the park, but wasn't taking part in the skill session and the warm downs and everything like that. So hopefully it's good to go. Sound like you trained fully today and was out in the park and ready to go. Because I'm hearing the Irish big fans of Jordi Barrett Lynn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, massive fans obviously. Jordi went up there a year ago now for six months and was exceptional. He's got a great rugby brain, high IQ. He helped contribute in a big way to that lens. The group was well liked on and off the fields and set a high bar that Rico Yuanni didn't reach. Evidently he was. Rico has been called into the All Blacks, so you'd expect him to be involved in that South African tour. But it is a big week for Jordy Barrett here. I've got no doubt the All Blacks would have tapped him up this week for a bit of Intel's. It's not Leinster, but they still provide the backbone to that national team. He'll know some of those combinations and individuals intimately some of their tendencies. Dave Reny will have a clear idea about what Arlan will bring. But why would you not utilize the inside knowledge.
Speaker 2: Absolutely mate, the most of it. Rico you Andy might be able to offer some as well, given he's coming to camp as you know, maybe you'll steal the pot a little bit. And Shavey wasn't up for media that had been quite good just to defn Rico even though he's not playing. The Irish team, of course named and looked as predicted. Andy Farrell has restored what we would term his first choice squad. Obviously Kaitlin Doris. I'm not on this tour through injury, massive loss, massive loss a great player, but by and large this is close to barring a couple of selections here or there. The team that beat the Wallabies in Week one before they rotated for Japan and week two of the Nation's Championship and the probably with the one change that made is tyger Burn at blindside flanker rather than at locke. He came off the bench in the first week captain of the team from lock last week. When we talk about an archetype that can swing between locke and blindside, he's probably Peter Steph is one who can play lock if needed. But in terms of you know, not if needed, but someone that can play lock and blindside, he'd be the guy tyger Burn. You know, quality players that he comes in on blindside flank and you're fonder Flaire and Conan. You got Gibson Park who is obviously sort of nons in New Zealander's prendigas at ten. A couple of changes on the wings from that first choice team. Sorry that's the first team they played a couple of weeks back. But this is a strong Irish team. But I just wonder with the it's as strong as it was a year ago, two years you know, going back, just lost, you know, a couple of players, a bit of momentum, still very very strong. I'm not sure they strike the fear into the heart of the All Blacks and New Zealanders as maybe they did twelve months ago, twenty four months ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not just New Zealanders. It's interesting talking to Irish pundits and fans. There seems to be quite a bit of pessimism about Ireland's prospects this week about this team, and man, what a contrast three years makes because Ireland and the lead up to that twenty twenty three World Cup quarter final, they've been on a seventeen match winning run and the fans that certainly attended that game and around Paris that day, it was like that victory was a foregone conclusion. So there's been massive changes to that team. And I certainly think this Irish team is not the team they were, and I yet to convince I think, you know, it was really that match against the Wallabies could have gone either way. And then I don't think you can read too much into that Japanese game. The notable selections for meet Jimmy O'Brien on the left wing. I think he will use to try and target the air and this is the biggest test of Sam printer Gas's career. I think the All Blacks will target him, try and pressure his kicking game, but also make work him over defensively. And I think there will also be true of Ruben Love down that channel. So it'll be interesting to see how those two tens stand up. But I don't think we'll see any great surprises in the way Island play. I think Jameson Gibson Park will will hoist to the heavens and they'll look to use their their driving more, their line outs. Their short passing game is essential to the way they play, and they'll bring a lot of line speed on defense, which you'll Blacks struggle with against Italy. So yeah, what do you make of that pessimism in particular around anecdotally anyway that the Irish fans and horrific.
Speaker 2: Is being burned too much by the your Blacks in twenty three, that they've gone, we're not the team we were in twenty three. Therefore, you know we couldn't win in twenty three. We can't do it in twenty four. They can't do it in twenty five, can't do it in twenty They're still a very very good rugby team, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't feel like that they have that same ability that they did have a couple of years back.
Speaker 3: No, the one thing I'll say, just listening to Andy Farrell this week, I really like him as a coach, as a leader. You know, most coaches have come out here and asked about Eden Park and the record and all that thing. It's just, oh, it's a stadium, it's got grass. It's a bit of a non factor. Pharaoh's luck. Seize the day, don't have any regrets, you know, let's take it head on. I think he'd be very inspiring coach to have, so I do like his mentality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Look, he's a very good coach and it's proven that on the world stage and was honest that. You know, if this is the opportunity we've got, we've got to embrace it and make the most of it. And they go on with a chance on the weekend. What do you predict might unfold on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: I think it could be squeaky, could be tense. I expect the All Blacks to win, but I don't think there's a case to be made that Island strike the All Blacks and opportune time. They're growing pains under any are still evident, they're still learning their game. Developing combinations, testing depth. I'm yet to be convinced, and that's probably understandable given that the short time that they've had together. But I would expect significant improvements from the All Blacks. They expect them to win, but I don't think it will be comfortable at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I'm not saying comfortable. I think the All Blacks will win by about ten. But let's not forget the All Blacks have not lost to Ireland since twenty twenty two. So they won of the World Cup in twenty three, they won in Dublin twenty four. They one in Chicago last year under a coach that was booted because they went on the right trajectory. Yet they beat the Irish twice under Scott Robinson's Tutelish didn't lose them during that period of time. So I think it's a little bit on here that I think the Irish moments passed and you know there's growing pains under Rennie. But I just I still think the All Blacks will be good enough to win on Saturday Night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I just I have an element of nerves because of where the All Blacks are at in the early stages of Rennie's tenure. I think there's a lot of progression needed and there hasn't been a lot of time to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite right, Well, we'll see how it gets on Saturday night. Look forward to calling it on News Talk ZB and iHeartRadio from ten past seven. You can follow Lillam's analysis and pieces leading up to the match on inziherld, dot co dot nzi there. Thanks to Mark Ali for producing and we will see you back here in the early part of next week as we look on what happens on Saturday night and maybe cast it into the South African tour as well. Look forward to seeing you.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk SEDB. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.