Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio, Straight down the Middle.
Speaker 2: Of Trump Sky, try to.
Speaker 1: Get inside the game from every end goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Liam Navier powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome in to Rugby Direct powered by Habit Held Physio book Today and Stay in the Game Rugby Direct Back. We had Super Rugby Around one and the books. Elliott Smith with me is Liam Napier, rugby writer, correspondent, co host, et cetera, et cetera, Liam, Super Rugby Round ones in the Books. Overall, how did you feel about the quality of rugby we saw over the weekend.
Speaker 3: I think it was a typical first round, Elliott. Great to have it back on our earways. Suffered somewhat from not having the best team in the competition start the round. The Hurricanes, you know, almost came out in protest with them not there right okay, but there was some quality. There was some great passages, and I think there was some clunkiness as well and some underwhelming long.
Speaker 4: Patches as well.
Speaker 3: So I expect the season to get better, but great to see some upsets. I think that's crucial for this competition. We don't want it to be highly predictable, don't want it to be.
Speaker 4: Scripted, do we.
Speaker 3: So props to the Highlanders in particular, everyone's second favorite team for the week.
Speaker 2: Not my second favorite team, but that's all right. You know everyone else could have their second favorite teams the Highlanders. Let's start the Highlanders twenty five Crusaders twenty three under the roof in Dunedin, and this was a very good performance from the Highlanders. I thought it first half took advantage of the Crusaders eras Crusaders couldn't hold onto any ball for that first period and just took their opportunities when they came. I think you've got to look at the Crusaders and go, you know, maybe you know Cody, Taylor and Wild and I know they had all blacks rice, but they looked a lot better when they were on the park, but they just Crusaders looked clunky for that first forty but the Highlanders looked like a team and maybe because they hadn't had as many all blacks through pre season, but they looked like a team ready to go for Round one. The Crusaders looked like they've been caught by surprise that super rugby had got underway.
Speaker 3: It will start with the Highlanders. I think almost need to offer an apology. Round one didn't give them a chance, and this picture thought the Crusaders would do it comfortably. And I heard this morning actually that the tab made a killing on that game. One punter put ten grand on the Crusaders. I certainly had them in a few multis, so not to that extent.
Speaker 2: Well, I think counts ten grand lighter this morning.
Speaker 3: But the context around the Highlanders, isn't it having lost the LM. Pledger, Fabian Hollands, they just seem like they're on the Rackabit and Jamie Joseph the distraction around that.
Speaker 4: Look at their roster.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have the star stuttered names of the other New Zealand franchises, but they turned up and I was really impressed with some of their non headline players. Jack Taylor, I know the line out really struggled, but he was good around the field. Lucas Casey was good, good on debut. And then when they do get that front foot platform, the outside backs in particular lethal Jacob Ratamavuki Nipkins, Caleb Tungytowe. The try that he scored just blistering pace. He is an out and out finisher. It was a real statement finished from him to beat fi Haki and one another in the corner. You know, he didn't have a lot of room to move, but pure pace and they just kept coming.
Speaker 4: The Hoighlanders.
Speaker 3: It was quite a smart tactical decision to switch the front rows to match what the Crusaders.
Speaker 4: Were doing with their bench.
Speaker 3: And it did feel like watching that game that the Crusaders would come over the top. When they was at the fifty minute mark, they introduced their bomb, scored six players as you mentioned, Will Jordan, Cody Taylor, Fletcher Newell, there was a host of others and the Crusaders just went about their methodical grinds that felt like they were going to come over the top.
Speaker 2: Was that a mistake, Well, yeah, I guess they're balancing that. All blacks restands. This is the juggling act that super rugby coaches have got to deal with, and the Crusaders you know, have probably you know the same amount of all blots or around about the same as the Chiefs. So the Chiefs went to Eden park in one, which we'll get to a minute, but you've got a delicate balancing act. But it felt like once the Crusaders had those all blacks on the park, they looked a lot better for that last half hour of the game. And as you say, rolling over the top, well, they got to the point that they were, you know, out in front and had a one point leads and we're looking perhaps the better team by that point. The Hinders had sort of fallen away a little bit in the game, but they gave away the penalty and the Highlanders cam Miller clutch enough to win it. So look, I thought the Crusaders played their best rugby between the fifty minute mark and the seventy eighth minute mark. That Penry I felt was correct, but not much that those two players could have done in terms of, you know, collecting the player coming through. But ultimately they left themselves too much work to do because at the first half they were just really really out of sorts, and as I say before, it felt like they were a team caught by surprise that Super Rugby had started on February fourteen.
Speaker 4: They had some good performers.
Speaker 3: Ethan Blackeader was everywhere from open side, but then others guys at least defying a nook who I thought was really underwhelming.
Speaker 2: We touched on it. I thought it was very underwhelming, just.
Speaker 3: His basic skills, his positional play really just a totally off performance. I don't know whether going back to the wing or switching into the midfield. We touched on it last week about being a hybrid player. He was in the ruck at times. Maybe he's got too much on his plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this could all be the place. He doesn't look like a wing anymore for me, And I know the Crusaders have a few injuries around the wings that were kind of forced to put him there. But he's barely played wing for and we played there a couple of times the All Blacks last year, but barely played there for the best part of three years. And he got out done for that first tribe. Poor defensive read and then a lot of drop ball as well, which was something we saw from him in the All Blacks last year as well. One handed carry. He's just not able to secure the ball. It feels like there's a really quality player there, but he's just got to sharpen up on some of those basic sets and I'm not sure that he's a great defensive reader of the game. So on the left wing he got found out for that tribe. But again, at center, you've got to be strong on defense. So I think there's a few question marks over him this season.
Speaker 3: There's no doubting his physical capabilities ball in hands at pace, incredibly difficult to stop. But you those soft skills, catch pass, defensive reads like you say, so there's some pretty big flaws to for him to.
Speaker 4: Work through there. Interesting around the turnout.
Speaker 3: I think that they got fifteen thousand then it looked like a great atmosphere. But I did read something from Dylan Cleaver's piece that he made a late decision. He's into needing to go to the game, and real backlog of people trying to get in, So maybe something for the stadium to address there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's classic New Zealand, doesn't it. Though. You arrive and hope, Yeah, you've got enough time without wanting to sit in the stands for too long, and then ultimately you get in the stands late.
Speaker 4: But look, good turnout.
Speaker 2: Good turnout for round one. I know the few people saying they should have done it on Saturday because it was obviously I think its O week last week, but you know, there are various other considerations. I thought fifteen thousand was pretty good and you've got another home game this week against the Chiefs, so hopefully a good turn out then too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it also speaks to the rivalry. You know, the Southern Derby is still a massive fixture on the rugby calendar, and you saw what it meant to the Harner's coaching box and the players to get.
Speaker 4: Up over the Crusaders.
Speaker 3: That's certainly a match that will always be circled long on the calendar, and there was genuine passion and pride in that performance.
Speaker 2: The work I didn't have on this opening weekend is why. You know they've made a lot about the thirtieth anniversary. Why wouldn't you kick it off again with Blues and Hurricanes. Now there's probably other reasons that are not privy too, but that kicked off Super Rugby in ninety six. Why not kick it off in twenty twenty six with Blues Hurricanes again? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It would have been an easy one.
Speaker 3: Interesting to note that thirty years ago the Haunters beat the Crusaders by two points and thirty years on they beat them by two points.
Speaker 2: Uniforms as well. I think that's how in the Crusaders campaign and known only six was not one to remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another one for the good guys, So up the Landers.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's enough for that. Let's move on to Saturday afternoon. More on a pacifica Fiji and Drewer. Good win for Winer pacificat on the road the Drewer your latok has been a bit of a graveyard for visiting teams. We had a lot of question marks over them last week around how they were going to roll out this year. But to go over Miracle Fire lungy bags a hat trick and then they take a win over the Feeder and draw a great Round one performance.
Speaker 3: Oh, huge results, particularly given everything that surrounded Moana on and off the field, question marks about how they're going to cover Adi. I'm not going to say Miracle stepped into his shoes. That's way too early, but to really come out and deliver a follow me performance that's exactly what Wina needed. And you're right about the dur Playing in Fiji is the hardest road trip in superb we particularly at this time of year with a sweltering heap. I think prior to that game, the Duror had won fifteen of their twenty two home matches, so incredibly difficult place to go. And I don't think you'd say a statement performance from Juana. But to come off last year where you beat the Blues, you beat the Crusaders, you the cusp of the top six, and now everyone's writing them off, well, I think people were starting to rethink those predictions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they can do it over there, then you know they can certainly Colleck some other wins drew a big question marks over them now. I think they came back into the game after they've been blown away by Mowana early. But I think it's going to be a long season to draw based on about forty eighty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it seems like the recurring themes that the what I did see that game. It's the same issues around basic skills, the line outs being able to convert pressure into points when they get down there. You know, they just rely on individual brilliant So big question marks over their campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's continue to Saturday Evening. Blues beaten by the Chiefs nineteen fifteen. Cortez Ratam scores the winner for the Chiefs late in the game. What did you make of that game?
Speaker 3: When not a great spectacle? I think two teams that were fairly clunky. I think the first half was was a reasonable watch, but the second half, certainly for a good twenty minutes, was was pretty tough viewing. Lots of mistakes, nothing really getting going for either team. I think for the Blues, the one big question mark I still have is are they doing enough?
Speaker 4: Are they playing enough rugby?
Speaker 3: Are they like I understand Verncotta's style as direct, confrontational, you know, squeeze tactics, go to the mall, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change. I talked to Stephen Peterfetter last week and he was adamant that there is room in that structure for Flair, for him to put his imprint on the game and have a crack. But we barely saw Caleb Clark. I think Mark Tale is a big loss. On the other edge the right wing, Sullivan was pretty good at fullback, but I just think the Blues need to need to be a bit more venture because they had ample opportunity at the back end of that game to win it, but they just they're rolling more got shut down, they gave away a couple of penalties, and then boom, one moment the Chiefs steal it.
Speaker 2: They did, and you know, they gave him a couple of penalties to open up that door. I just felt it was an awful game. Let's be honest, it was an awful game of rugby. Didn't rise to any great heights, but it did feel like one of those games where the Blues were about to basically break the game open. You know, they had the advantage, you know, by fifteen twelve, and it felt like, you know, one score away and the game's probably done. You know, some games do feel like that. They left the door open for the Chiefs, who I thought were clunky as well, but the Chiefs were just you know, good enough to take that final moment. I didn't think either team did a great job of building pressure throughout that game. It felt like it was a game of moments. You know, it was no score in the opening thirty minutes, but it felt like, you know, the was it five all at half time? It just felt like it was one moment stacked on another moment. But it wasn't building pressure. I think that was the thing for the Blues is that they you mentioned the rolling wall and everything like that, that didn't spend enough time in the Chiefs red zone to really come home with that, you know, that kind of performance to win that game. So I don't know that we learned a lot about either team in all honesty from that performance.
Speaker 3: No, And both teams have a lot of players to come back, particularly the Chiefs a whole host of all blacks who didn't feature. I think the bench probably won it for them in the end. Summer Penny Female had a great line off a really nice delayed to proviaball to go through and set up courties Ratama who also came off the bench. So I think the Chiefs will be happy obviously to come up and sneak that and to set themselves up with that firepower they have to come back. Damien McKenzie and a host of others tt.
Speaker 2: Leroy Carter and played for the development team. This another player that I'm missing as well. It was about five of them that they didn't play on Saturday nights.
Speaker 4: Some real fire power, that's most your back line.
Speaker 3: I thought Quinta Pye was really good both over the ball and bringing that physicality with his carrying to provide was excellence.
Speaker 2: I thought had a good game as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Chiefs line out didn't function very well. Bradley Slater was really good your man on debut for the Blues, and Yea Zarn Sullivan and a couple of others. But the back line didn't see a great deal of ball.
Speaker 2: The back line didn't see a great deal of ball. I felt, like, you know, Peter Key, I thought on debut was solid. Trying to think back to the commentary A. J. Lamb, I didn't think we had a lot of time on ball. Clark certainly didn't.
Speaker 4: What about the two teens?
Speaker 3: That was an interesting matchup Stephne de Fetter coming back from his last real competitive game since May, and Josh Jacob a big chance to start the season with Damien mckinn is he welcoming his first child. What did you make of both their performances.
Speaker 2: I thought Jacob was pretty good by and large for controlling the team, driving them around the park, and I suspect that we might see more of Jacob at ten this season than McKenzie. Might move mackenzie back at fullback, potentially coming later in the game to ten I'm interested to see where John O Gibbs it goes with that. But I talked in the postmatch about being a big fan of Josh Jacob and wanting him to regret basically every day going to the Highlanders from twenty twenty seven. I'd give a points decision to Josh Jacob. Piafeeda you touched on hasn't played since made He looked like a player that hadn't played since May. He wull be better for that outing. I still think he didn't unlock the Blues back line as much as you would have liked. I'm not sure he's the long term answer for them at ten. I think when Boden Barrett's back, they'll go back to Boden and the next few rounds. Once he's back for that Crusaders game on the seventh, which is around the date or the date that he's he marked. So yeah, points decision to Jake for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I thought Peterfetter had some nice touches long balls early and he kicked one fifty twenty two, but both tens struggled off the tea early some really easy misses, so I don't think it was an authoritative performance from either of them. Maybe a sign of start in the season. But yeah, interesting to see how Boden comes back as well. Traditionally the All Blacks come back off the bench, and jeez, will Jordan set the standard there, didn't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he very much did say he was excellent coming off the bench of the Crusaders. I've seen some social media that they did around Jordan. We're in twenty three Michael Jordan, et cetera, So I don't think it twenty three for two much longer.
Speaker 4: Michael had a few more hops.
Speaker 2: Maybe both both quality players. Ossie Games Wartas up the Reids thirty six twelve. This is a very good performance in the war Tars. Game was in the balance up until what about twenty to go, and the Wartars just broke home and ran in some late tries. Very impressed by what they are able to do. I think they'll rise up the table a little bit this year. The Wartars some really good outside backs Max Jorgncern quality players, so I was impressed by that. And the Rumby is just too good for the Force. Fifty six to twenty four. Signs of life in the Force that we talked a bit a little bit about last week that they might be back. Well, didn't start particularly well.
Speaker 3: No, that's a drubbing at home, isn't it because traditionally they are a lot better in Perth.
Speaker 4: But big result for the Waratars.
Speaker 3: I think that is a statement performance in a derby match. They were outsiders to start that week, heavily backed. I think their neck and neck going into the game. The Red's missing a few but that is a real stake in the ground from the Watars and I think they can kick on and be genuine contenders this year. I think Sydney's not an easy place to go, so yeah, interesting to see if they can kick on.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, we'll take a quick break here on Rugby Direct, come back with Final four and more after this. You're back with Rugby Direct. Time now for the Final four, Liam, question for you number one. Did the Highlanders win over the Crusaders on Friday night? Locke and Jamie Joseph as the All Blacks coach.
Speaker 3: Well, the rumor was an overdriven that it's gonna it's gonna be announced this week.
Speaker 2: I was hearing it was gonna it's five o'clock Friday before the game. There was one rumor going around.
Speaker 4: It's all rubber stamp. It's good to go here.
Speaker 2: Late March early June did a pump first week before the All Black time.
Speaker 4: The breaks awave it.
Speaker 3: Look, no it didn't, but it can only help his cause. It was a big upset result. But it has one result.
Speaker 2: We're very good in this country of not viewing things in context and viewing them in pure isolation. And one win is not going to get him the All Blacks coaching job. It's the same as if they've been beaten by twenty five points was not going to rule him out of the All Blacks coaching job. That helps.
Speaker 3: It's certainly it's it's front front viewing as it's front of mind. It's there, it's ever present. They've rey had a good win in Japan in the weekends. I think they beat t Shibam.
Speaker 2: Longer and to black at his team.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's all right, so but that's out of sight, out of mind to a degree. Look, yeah it doesn't. It won't hurt his chance as well, No, won't.
Speaker 2: And look this will be taking into consideration. But again you just don't know that a round one result in Super Rugby is going to be the tipping point for the the famous five as they come to that conclusion.
Speaker 4: That's a good I like that use that the panel.
Speaker 2: The Panel six Nations. Scotland rumors of their death have been greatly exaggerated. Gregor Townsend resigning for another ten years.
Speaker 4: Better again, Gregor is back baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a really good performance and England were quite poor. I thought watched the scame yesterday morning and didn't spect Scotland to win. Certainly didn't expect them to win thirty one twenty. They were claudy, I thought, and just everything that they didn't get right against Italy. They looked polished. I thought their fords are really really good. Their back line you know, to weep a lot too excellent again and Finn Russell won that Battle of the tens quite easily over George Ford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what does do Scotland invest too much in the England performance? This is Scotland's fifth win in six games over England. England haven't won in Edinburgh since since twenty twenty. Great result for Scotland, particularly the bounce back from Italy. But it is a one off result and it is important. It means a lot to them. The Kelcutter Cup they always get up for ENGLM. But does is there too much focus for Scotland on one fiction? Does that change the complexion of Gregor Town's ends tenure as a whole.
Speaker 2: Quite possibly. You look at the record they've had against England, it's very very impressive, but you've got to win consistently elsewhere and Scotland haven't been able to do that. And you look back to what they did last year in the Autumn Nation Series, you know that they should have been in the All Blacks at Murrayfield. They should have been an Argentina the following weekend at inn at Murrayfield and blue what are twenty one? The lead or whatever? It was? So, yep, great, they've got the curl cutter cup, very very good performance. So I thought, as I say, Scotland were excellent, but it's no use if they are going to go lose to Italy and Rome in a poor game the week before. They've obviously got another game coming up this weekend, but they need to back these results up. And that's the story I think of Gregor Town's ends tenures that they have been high and then they've been low and haven't been able to get any consistency. So yeah, you're exactly right. The curl Cutter Cup is great, but it's consistency that Scottish rugby fans won't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see what happens for the remainder of the six nations. Great win because England had won what ten twelve games in a row, so to halt that put some real context around maybe where England are at as well. Great one for Scottish rugby, but you've got to kick on. And I also just want to make the point that it's time now to genuinely put some respect on Italian rugby's name because they could have easily could have. They didn't, No, they didn't, but seven points they came within an island and they had a try just allowed.
Speaker 2: I thought they tried was being dislow, was pretty dubious, maybe out of the hands, potentially slightly forward. But you look at it and I go, is there enough for a TMO to INTERVENA be so adamant? Is how Holly Davidson's change your decision. I didn't think there was enough there to go. It has to be overturned. I thought it was a fifty to fifty call, and personally I hate the TMO. But I think those decisions shouldn't be overruled. I think there wasn't enough. You know, it wasn't absolutely fluid that it was a forward pass.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was probably the right call, but it was it was in real time.
Speaker 2: This is my New Year's resolution. I wasn't going to buck on at the TMO this year, but I didn't think there was enough that to overturn it. Put it that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good, another good performance from Badly and I think the context around with which they are viewed now needs to change. So like that, what they're win against Scotland last week was not a major surprise. It was an upset sure, But to go to Dublin and push Ireland to the brink I think shows where they're at. And I think they're coming to New Zealand in July, and that's in Wellington of all places.
Speaker 2: I saw el Ferguson puts us on Instagram as well. You know it is the graveyard for the All Blacks Mariki weekend, you know, I think.
Speaker 4: Look it's in there.
Speaker 2: What would you do if a beat the All Blacks?
Speaker 4: I'd probably have to sing the national anthem live on Rugby Direct.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll make that happen a lot better than that can happen if God for Italy beat the All Blacks later in the year and Wales crumbling its France this morning in a result that most of us still coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Griham times for Welsh rugby. But I also think that does show.
Speaker 3: How lethal France are and that back climb with DuPont, Jelly Beer ramos Man, they are so good to watch.
Speaker 2: Stack absolutely stacks. You had a piece last week top three in the final four around getting fans back into rugby. You spoke to Carl Budge who was made this. You know one of his aims is the Blues CEO around getting fans through the gates. Look that it was a very good opening round of Super Rugby. What fifteen ish thousand and Dunedin.
Speaker 4: Seventeen Eden Park.
Speaker 2: I know they had aim for maybe twenty didn't quite get there, but there was the sale gp on, there was other things on over the course of the weekend. I guess a good start for getting those fans through the gates. But there's to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the challenge is outside of the kiwidobies, right. So Chiefs Blues is a headline fixture Heihna's Crusaders probably the biggest match of the year in Dnedain and Super Rugby, so punters are going to come for those games. It's when the foresaw of the drawer. Even the Brumbies who are a headline Australian team, that appeal isn't there. So I think one thing the Blues are doing well, there's one day that with they're packaged up with the racing. You can go to the racing and go to the Blues, or you know, maybe you partner up with the Warriors or another event in the city earlier kickoffs help family friendly ticketing prices, or opening up the outer oval and following things that have Aukland f C have done with They had a big Inlands Beach in a massive slide and all these things can sound a wee bit nef but I think you just have to try something.
Speaker 2: You do and you're right though those Australian games are a hard sell, but then you also look at it and go well, Auckland FC players Central Coast, they play newcast Lot home, they play and no one knows who's in their team unless you're an A league die hard with the greatest respect. So those shouldn't be as harder to sell those tickets as they are. You look at the Warriors, you know, you know, you know those players more so perhaps in the NRL, but they don't find it hard to sell. So I think we've got a view of Australian rugby because we got such a rugby country. There's like, oh, this is not worth going to, whereas in football and rugby league it's a different conversation. So I think the Blues have a harder sell to try and get people through the gates of those games. And it's interesting to see what car Budge is going to try over the next couple of years to try and make that happen. Afternoon kickoffs might help for you, force Drewer, Rumby's wartors, whatever game, but they can't do that every week. So I'm intrigued. Look, innovation is a good thing in drag. We need more of it. I think that's super Aquisin crying out for some of those sort of blue sky sort of thinking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's called by just biggest challenge in his career. He's done exceptional things for the ASP Classic. He's worked with sale GP and a number of other things, but coming to a traditionally conservative sport like rugby, going to a ground like eden Park that can be very restrictive on what they allow you to do starting the season with a loss, and also the style of rugby the Blues are playing and not necessarily a great attractive proposition. So there's a number of challenges there. But I think he is a very innovative person, so interested to see what he can bring to that environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Me, the Blues Crusaders, Blues next time games against the Crusaders much seven. The shouldn't have too many issues getting a decent crowd for that. It's getting going to be a little bit cooler by that point in time. Fans have been more tuned to rugby by round four. But it might be but you know, there's all sorts of Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other challenge is Eden Park half capacity twenty thousand, is a full mount smart stadium, so it doesn't look the same, it doesn't feel the same from an atmosphere perspective, and I would also probably question whether rugby has the same die hard fans as say the Warriors do as well.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they do. I mean there's not as I don't think it's a diehard Blues fandom that there is for the Warriors, and that's out of borne out of different things, different socioeconomic thing. There's so many reasons for that. But the Warriors have never wanted thing in their entire history. The Blues have won certain things, but they're you know, the Warriors fans still turn up Rainhaale shine at Mounts Amount Stadium. Blues fans can be fickle. There's a certain base there, but I just question, you know, there's not the diehards, is there? Yeah? Interesting to see where they go to. A good piece on the US held worth reading from Liam and number four. We'll get some Hurricanes chat in here. Even though play Ruben Love injured, we don't know the full details as yet. I heard last week he was in a moon boot around Palmston North. The Hurricanes acknowledge that with the media release. Was still waiting to hear how he goes, but hopefully not out for too long because I was really keen to see how he's going to go at ten this season.
Speaker 3: I'm hearing it's not serious, which is good news because I think everyone would love to see Rygard Love and Barrett kick off the season together. Whether that happens this week against Moan, I'm not too sure, but I think Ruben will be back soon. They've got Brett Cameron there, so different type of player, but I think it would be good to see Ruben Love getting extended run at ten, both for his own stability and career progression and for our interest.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right MVP voting. Who'd you come up with? You through two ones?
Speaker 3: Lamb, Well one person we didn't mention with the Blues before. Just a quick shout out to Torrian Barnes debut. Most people probably never heard of him unless you're a die hard.
Speaker 2: Drivers. Shout out to the bus drivers.
Speaker 4: Canonbury and Follower.
Speaker 3: But he hasn't cracked the top three. I'm going miracle Fi Lungey. Pretty hard to go past three tries, so he gets my three. Toper Vy excellent for the Blues. A bit of controversy around his try, but that was legit. You can dive for the trial line, just not over a ruck and he was excellent at the line out. Great soft skills around the field as well, and I'm going one to Tavanawa. I thought typically strong over the breakdown and with ball in hands, so a good start to the season in his comeback.
Speaker 2: Indeed three tries not good enough to get into my three two ones. Tuper I gets my three points. I thought he's excellent. That is exactly the blueprint of how you want and all back to play in Super Rugby. He just says to be getting better and better. He got. He was excellent last year for the Blacks. Then he had an injury layoff. Yeah, quality play to Lucas Casey. Very impressed by him on debut, had a good Super Rugby season, backed it up, sorry, good NB season backed up on debut and Super Rugby similar to Barnes, has come out of the wider training group and been thrusting. I think those two have big futures in front of them. On what we saw over the weekend, and one to No Hotham with the Cisco the Thong song. Yeah, yeah, no, but dount dunk du r. I don't need you're quite evidenus thing on this podcast. I'm not one point for not Hotham. Excellent was you know, probably the half back of the weekend for mine from a New Zealand perspective and a losing effort.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably shaded from La Christie yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Risen was good off the bench for the Chiefs as well. They seem to like using him in that last thirty minute role. I mean he's done it for the All Blacks number of times, but you know he had a bit of a line why element to that last half hour. Scored the winning try as well, So interested to see how much he starts the season versus zavy Row. But watch the space. Those are our three two ones. Also get involved with us on fantasy as well. Rugby Direct podcast. I heard just before kick off I'd ethan degree to my team the hood. He was switched to the bench, so I made a late change. I can't remember who actually brought it in the end, but I did make the late change, so had I think I had a decent all weekend. But keep joining us on their Rugby Direct podcast as where you find us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great turn out, thanks for getting on board. There's ninety teams in there. Yeah, and the winner will get super Rugby jersey.
Speaker 2: So yeah, get am I what's your username? What's your team name?
Speaker 1: On?
Speaker 2: I'm forty minute red card es, which isn't in joke about twenty minute red cards.
Speaker 4: I'm really hard to decipher Fox and Fazz.
Speaker 2: Fox and this year. So yeah, it would be good if he had everyone's actual names alongside them. You can sort of figure that out, but those are us too. Anyway, get involved Rugby Direct podcast to search for us as well. Tipping Wires will run through that on our Thursday podcast. Later in the week we'll go through who tips well and who didn't. But once we got the team's locked in, we will tip for round two. And also we want your feedback and your letters and your emails and any questions you've got in the Rugby Direct mailbag Rugby Direct at inside dot co dot NZI to get in touch with us. We'll read out it a couple every week. We might even do some sort of special mailbag episodes. We run through a lot of feedback, but certainly on Thursdays we'll have to answer a couple of questions. So keen on any questions you might have for.
Speaker 4: Us two Yeah, questions, hot takes, rumors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're open for it all. Rugby Directs the email there at NZ dot co dot in z. Thanks to Mark Kelly. We'll be back on Thursday with another edition of Rugby Directs. Say safe out there, Powered by having health physic. Book today and stay at the game.
Speaker 1: For more from news talks, b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio