Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks MB's voice of Football Jason Payne and Money Jansen. Hello and welcome into a fresh episode of Football Fever. We're here with FIFA Plus stream New Zealand Football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie Jensen's here too. We're really need to land on an actual day for this, don't We were Monday for a long time. Here we are again on a Thursday. Maybe we need to get a bit more regular once once we get into the A League season, maybe we go back to Monday's you know, full time. Bonnie, what do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well two weeks tomorrow, Piney, it's super exciting. So yeah, I guess now that the A League's pretty much around the corner, we can become a regular thing.
Speaker 1: Indeed, yes, the clocks have gone forward and the A League season is approaching. Quick smart, let's start there. Actually. Auckland FC are continuing their preparations. They had a they had a sort of a game or games last night, as I understand, at two thirty minute halves against Birkenhea two thirty minute halves against Western Springs out at Albany. You went along the watch, what was What were your takeaways?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was good to see Auckland FC come up against you know, the club teams, two of the top clubs here in Auckland. I think you'll know as well, Piney that there's not much between these clubs, especially in pre season two the A League sides. Obviously the Phoenix played Wellington Olympic the other week. Anyway, there wasn't much between these two teams. I don't know what the final score was. I think they beat Birkenhead two nil, but it was all kind of one big mixed friendly, but yet really positive. I kind of got a sense you can see what Steve Crick is going to do with his starting lineup kind of worked out. It was a bit of a four to two three one type situation, maybe a four to three three the look, they're looking pretty good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the imports all played, did they? Apart from the new Columbian winger who's yet to be announced. I think everybody knows who it is, but we'll leave him off to one side. So Sarkai, Galagosvstrate and GMO Mai they all.
Speaker 2: Played, Yes they did. Yeah, they kind of filled the filled the midfield and you know kind of linking up up the top there that that number nine position Sakai was playing on the right, the right hand fullback that they're looking good as well, and you can see, you know, with the likes of Cam Howison who didn't start, you can see Steve Corrick is trying to familiarize himself with these imports and obviously he knows what Cam is about. So yeah, that was kind of the bart.
Speaker 1: Do you think Cam Howison will start the first game or do you think he'll go with his two imports? If he plays two six is sitting? Do you think it'll be Galagos investrata?
Speaker 2: Potentially, and that is due to the all whites to it. I believe the players get back about the day before or two days before that first kickoff, so potentially maybe that's what Corricer's plan was last night to really get this team gelling for the players that will be back and fit and fresh ready for that opening game. Going forward into the season, I feel like Cam will cement his spot obviously because of who he is as a player, but also his leadership is undeniable, which we've seen through his time at Auckland City.
Speaker 1: It's just interesting though, isn't it that two of the imports play in those central midfield roles. Look, I don't know enough about them just yet to know whether one of them or both is more of an eight for example, or what Cam Howison's role to play and this team will be. But yeah, and it feels to me as though there'll be real competition for places, which is what you want. But as I think I said on a couple of podcasts ago, the imports really need to start Otherwise why are they there exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the other thing. And I do wonder you might be able to speak more on this, Piney, But what is it the same deal for the Aussie players that that guy Galloway he didn't he didn't start last night. And I'd say some of the guys from Aussie you know, Dan Hall might not have his his spot secured with the likes of Tommy Smith there and Nando. So is it the same deal for them or are they easier to put on the bench compared with the imports coming from Europe and South America.
Speaker 1: And that yeah, I think, well, I think that their places are less guaranteed and often you you'll bring in Australian players to fill out your squad rather than to really be rusted on starters. I think Jake Brimmer is probably of all of them, or of all of the Australians, and there aren't many in the in the in the Auckland FC squad, I think Jake Brimm is likely to play Hall will probably get first crack. I would imagine it center back alongside Pinaker. Galloway can play both sides of the back for but I wonder whether Francis Devrez might be your man up and down the left hand side. What about what about Liam Gillian. I've seen a little bit of so media footage and I know those are just edited highlights, but he's looking quite sharp, is he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is looking sharp. I really liked him last night. Him and Logan Rogerson as well. We're both pretty dominant up the wings. And I think Liam Gillian, you know, he followed him for a few years. He's played for Auckland City. He has done very well there in kind of cementing his starting spot. And he's still young, like we need to remember that, but he's started with that quite senior experienced Auckland City side in the northern League. He could have followed in his brother's footsteps and gone down to the Wellington Phoenix Academy, but he's stuck with that and I think it's paying dividends now because you can see he's kind of potentially without offending Fergus here, his younger brother who plays for the Phoenix, he's gone beyond that and it's now contending a starting spot here with Auckland.
Speaker 1: All right, looking forward to seeing how that goes. We'll here from Liam Gillian in just a moment. Alex porstonin goal? Was he for the first.
Speaker 2: Game he was in goal? Yes, I'm hearing rumors that Michael vaud might have a slight injury. I think they did rotate the keepers last night from memory, but yes, Alex Poulson started.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's hear from Liam Gillian, who you've just been speaking about. You were there and I had a chat to Liam Gillian afterwards to see how we're settling into life as a professional footballer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been enjoying it.
Speaker 4: It's good fund It's definitely a change coming from amateur football, but it's definitely something I enjoy.
Speaker 3: I enjoy coming to training every day. Good group of.
Speaker 4: Lads, good coaching staff, everyone's very supportive and yeah, great, great facilities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Obviously you're in pre season right now, but you've beat over to Ozzie, you've played some here. How do you think the team is locking? Yeah, you're going to be a competitive.
Speaker 5: Team this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're shaping up.
Speaker 4: Well. It's looking good, getting good at each day and training. Yeah, got the your phone is just coming as well. There no egos and the team you know, everyone through friendly and you know, it's great, it's good fun.
Speaker 2: What are you kind of want out of this? This is your first pro contract, I believe you know, what do you want out of this first season?
Speaker 4: Obviously it'd be great to get some decent aleague minutes, you know, first proper sort of professional league. So it would be cool to make a name for myself and sort of Yeah, I mean i'd try my best, I guess.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And your younger brother plays down in Wellington. What will it be like going up against them?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the family has spoken about this a couple of times, so they're saying they might have to get a half and half shit.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I don't know if that would.
Speaker 4: Slide, but yeah, it'll be definitely interesting and it would cause a good friendly rivaly.
Speaker 3: So looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Have you guys spoken much about the fact you're both playing in.
Speaker 3: The A League. Yeah, I thought it was We thought it was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's not every day you see brothers playing for it for two, I guess the Kimi Derby, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I know, it's definitely be interesting.
Speaker 1: I think I can say, Bonnie, without fear of contradiction, there will be no half and half shirts. There will be no apart from in the Gillian family where there's a player on each side, I can almost say, you know, without fear of contradiction, no one's going to wear a half and half shirt. Phoenix in Auckland FC.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's hard to say because there's so many, so many pre existing Phoenix fans up here in Auckland and are they going to stay or switch? I don't know, but yeah, I feel like that that's a bit soft if we've seen that around.
Speaker 1: Well, I just don't make football exactly mate. Yeah, yeah, that's it. Choose your side, choose your side. But I get it for the gillions they do have a foot in both camps, so I kind of get that. But yeah, I don't think you'll see too many just normal football fans wearing the half and half going to talk more about the derby actually in just a moment, But you're also caught up with Logan Rogerson, who is back in New Zealand after time playing overseas, to see how he's enjoying himself at Auckland FC.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: I love being back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the setup's good here. I've been enjoying pre season. I've got a good group of ads, and I've been enjoying working under Steve and the staff.
Speaker 2: What is it about the setup that's kind of like working so well?
Speaker 6: Do you again? I think the club's been providing us with everything we need. We've got good resources here and you know a lot of stuff helping us out. Which is you know, compared to the other environments I've been in, this has got to be up there.
Speaker 2: You've played a bit overseas, obviously, welcoming those international players here, what is that like and the jailed Well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, obviously you know, I know what it's like being that foreigner coming in and so yeah, I think you know, I've just tried to, you know, try and welcome them in and you know, introducing a little bit Qui culture. It's a bit different to probably what they used to but yeah, I think the boys have done a nice effort to help them and i've they feel at homehouse, so I think it'll be important for us, and yeah, hopefully they can be key to our success for the season.
Speaker 2: Do you the squad from the outlock seems quite competitive? Do you feel like it is in the are you're going to be fighting for your spots we can weep out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a lot of competition.
Speaker 6: Obviously there's another player coming in, so you know that's going to add more competition, which you know, it's good for a team.
Speaker 5: You know, training against each other and working for spots.
Speaker 6: Is all part of football and you know it drives success as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you spent some time with the Next, right, so what will it be like going up against them?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've kind of supported the Next, you know, even since I was younger and obviously had the opportunity to play for them my first professional club.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I feel it feels like we'll be like a mixed.
Speaker 6: Emotions playing them, But you know, this is our job.
Speaker 5: We're professionals. So on the field, it's you know, it's real competitive.
Speaker 2: And you've had a call up to the All White. How exciting is that? And do you think you know your your time here at Auckland is going to kind of help you secure that spot within the All Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I'm buzzy going to be back in the in the set out of the national team.
Speaker 6: And I definitely feel coming back home to Auckland kind of puts me under the microscope of the national team, and I definitely feel coming back has helped me. You know, I put my foot in the door for you know, the qualify for the World Cup and hopefully for the World Cup.
Speaker 1: That's Logan Rogerson. What do you predict for him this a league season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're looking at him. Last night he was definitely dominant. I think he kind of you know, still a little bit taller than some of the other players, potentially, you know, the likes of Francis Devrees or Liam Gillian, who have been really good playing here domestically in the last couple of years. But yeah, you can see Logan's got some experience behind him, so I hope he stands out for the for all. I was going to say the Phoenix for Auckland and yeah, cements that spot in the All White. So far, so good. He's looking like he's on track to do so good.
Speaker 1: To hear you, I'll have competition with the Columbian winger to be announced. Maybe even by the time people are listening to this, he may have been announced. Anyway, we know another attacking wide attacking player is coming, so that's what you want within a squad, though, there's plenty of competition for places and the likes of Logan Rogerson and Liam Gillian who we heard from there well and truly in the mix. Hearing that ticket sales for the opening game Auckland FC's opening match against Brisbane on Saturday October nineteen are going really well, heading for a sellout, I hear. Is that what you're hearing as well? That there's good uptake on tickets for the opening match.
Speaker 2: I did hear that, Piney. I heard from Nick Becker, the CEO of Auckland FC. He's been very busy forming this new club, but he's ye excited that they are on track for a sellout, which I think is great. I mean, we know what Auckland football fans have done for the Phoenix in the past and got some of their biggest crowds. So yeah, fully yet goes gangbusters on that opening day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're so right. You know, people turned up they regularly to watch the Phoenix when they had games in Auckland's, so we know the crowd are there, and you kind of feel as though, I think, you know, they've built a good squad. There's been good cut through on the likes of social media and other things like that. They've been reaching out to their community. So there's no real reason why they shouldn't get good crowds, particularly early on when when you know it's it's new, and if they if they start to win matches and do well, I think it'll be Yeah, I think we'll get good crowds. The derby will be so good. The first derby at Mount Smart. The first derby of course, is in round three at Sky Stadium. Get to that in the moment. But for a long for a long time, there was there was no release of where the away fans would be at Mount Smart. I saw a lot of chatter on social media about you know, if you're a Phoenix fan, where you're supposed to buy your tickets. Where is the away fan area because they always allocate one, And I see that they've allocated sections eight and nine at Mount Smart, which is at the top of the west stand if you're looking up into that stand to the left of where the corporate boxes are. I don't know about that. I wonder whether they should be down the other end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't quite work that out thinking about it now where it is, but yeah, I feel like Auckland def C were playing a bit with how long it took to allocate these away bays. I get the sense that Auckland f C are really grabbing onto this rivalry and playing with it a bit more piny. You and I discussed that apparently there's going to be a shirt swap replacement where old Phoenix fans can come and replace their old gear with Auckland City. Honestly, I think the rivals heading up regardless, and I hope, honestly you do wonder if maybe the Auckland f C fans will be outnumbered when the Phoenix here because of those pre existing fans.
Speaker 1: Well, it'll be interesting to see. I mean, they've only allocated the two bays as dedicated bays, but I would be completely unsurprised if there are Phoenix shirts dotted around the ground. For those who know Mount Smart, it's the south stand, which is as you look on television. It's to the right the south stand there is where the port are going to be. That's the Auckland FC version of yellow fever, if you like the hardcore fans. I kind of feel as a yellow fever should have been down the other end. Compare it to Sky Stadium, for example. The Yellow Fever are at the city end. As the players ran out the tunnel, they're right there. I think anyone who's watched The Phoenix knows where they are the away fans, regardless of who they are, and this will include Auckland down the other end, under the scoreboard at the northern end. And what you hope for the derby in round three is that you know Aisle thirty four, which is where the away fans sit, is heaving with Auckland fans who make the trip down for the first derby. But yeah, I thought that was a rather unusual place to put the away fans at Mount Smart.
Speaker 2: So you're saying they're down towards the port more rather the other end, because there's no stand down that other end. That's like the grassy bank where all the you know, interactions are activations. But you're suggesting they go more down on one of the side stands around the other end.
Speaker 1: That end, because as it stands, if you're in the port, you look up to your left, and that's where the Yellow Fever are up to the left, sort of almost up on the nose bleach really where I feel like they should be closer to the ground as well. But then and so yellow Fever as they're up in eight to nine are looking down to their right, so they're looking down on the port. I just feel like it works better if they're at at each end. They're both at the same end, really, which I think. I don't know. There must be a reason for it, but I just thought it was a bit unusual.
Speaker 2: I just think it's gonna make it really challenging to get a Mexican wave going because both sets of fans are going to be competing with each other and not want to connect the Mexican wave.
Speaker 1: Bonnie Bonnie. The Yellow people do not do the Mexican wave. Oh they boo the Mexican waves.
Speaker 2: Ah, I'm sure I've.
Speaker 1: No there has there has been, but you watch when the Mexican wave gets to the Yellow Fever. They will not do it.
Speaker 2: It's not that happening anyway.
Speaker 1: They are not. They are no fans of artificial hype. So yeah, so look, if there's a if there's a if there's a Mexican wave, well it certainly won't go past the Yellow fair right. Doubt the port will do it either. Dobby too busy doing whatever it is that they want to do to add Mexican waves. This isn't Rugby.
Speaker 2: Bonnie, Ah, come on, come on.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the Derbies are set to be absolute crackers. Just while we're still on the A League, Phoenix unveiled their strip yesterday. They're gonna have a home strip and a way strip, which is a departure from recent season. Sometimes you didn't know which strip they were going to wear at home and away. We now know. The yellow home kit is going to be worn at home every time, features sort of subtle pinches. It's largely yellow, but subtle pin stripes and a bit of black trim. The away strip is going to be released next week. We've already seen Auckland FC's home and away strips, the blue and black and the white away strip. And just a word on the women, the Wellington Phoenix Women. Lara Wall, another Canterbury United player, has signed for the Phoenix Women. Nineteen players confirmed in the Phoenix squad now and I'm hearing as we're recording this there's going to be another import signing announced in the next little while as well. So anything else to add before we move on from the A leagues.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just looking forward to it foricially kind of two weeks away.
Speaker 1: Bring it on, Bring it on. Indeed, the FFV with Piny and body other footballing matters around the All White squad for the OFC qualify the World Cup qualifier against Tahiti and Vanuatu, which is on Friday October eleven and then Malaysia at North Harbor Monday October fourteen, has been announced. No real surprises here. Good to see the big names mostly their Storm roose Back hasn't played for New Zealand since coming off the bench in the loss to Australia Eden Park in September of twenty twenty two. That was Winston Reid's last game for New Zealand and storm Roo's only played twice for New Zealand since twenty seventeen, which is a bit strange really because he's been in a back to back a league winning Central Coast Mariners team, so good to see him back. Tyler Binden back, Cam Howison back, no Joe Bellfinn Sermon, sarprets In, Callum macowitt or Dalton Wilkins. The Finn Sermon one's really interesting to me, Bonnie. He's obviously left the Phoenix and is with Portland Timbers in the MLS, but hasn't had a single minute of action yet, and Darren Baisley's either said to him, look, stay there and try and get some minutes or you're not playing, so I'm not picking you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I've am gusted he's not there either. I feel like it would more likely be the former, being not a massive tournament or massive kind of international window rather, But yeah, it is a bit of a shame for Finn. I kind of hoped he would get more minutes than what we have seen from him over in the States. So yeah, it is gutting not having him here.
Speaker 1: I guess he has just be patient and he's used to that because for a long time he wasn't in the Phoenix side either, had to bide his time and then had that amazing season last year when he played We started every game and played pretty much every minute. It must be hard for him to sort of go back a square or two and just wait for his opportunity at Portland, But I guess that's what happens when you move to a new club. You've got to buy your time and wait. But I kind of thought Bayes might pick him, just might say to them, hey, Finn, you're going to be a big part of this all white squad moving forward. Come over here and have a game. Give him a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, yes, and no, it's a kind of a long way to come just for a couple of games when yes, he is trying to earn a spot on the team and coming in and out I can imagine would be tough. But in saying that, yeah, you you know, patience is key. But you do wonder if maybe another another year in the A League would have been good for him. And that's why I'm kind of seeing the positives and the likes of Alex Paulson being loaned back out. As controversial as that was, you know, at least, he's almost all but guaranteed minutes here, and that's probably what Finn needs right now in his early career. I guess bringing him out to the All Whites probably would have guaranteed him some minutes. But yeah, it is. It is certainly an interesting one.
Speaker 1: It's a good point you make, in one that Darren Basley made as well, and has made for the last couple of windows, saying that there are so many players to choose from now that he is going to favor those who are playing regularly at club level, and with Finn Sermon not doing that and the likes of Bill Tuilama also missing from the squad, he's not getting minutes either. Joe Bell is an unusual one. He's playing every week for his club Viking. I don't quite know why he's not coming back. Kellam macowitt and Dalton Wilkins and Sarapara are all sort of returning from injury and in various stages.
Speaker 2: I have heard a tap on Joe Bell that I believe the deal was he would be able to go to the Olympics, but not for this next window, but he will be back, so must have been some deal with his club.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not like we need Joe Bell to beat to beat. I mean because the first games as a World Cup qualifiers, so it is important. But if we can't beat Tahiti without Joe Bell, then what are we doing the other game Malaysian game as a friendly so that you know, it may be that some of these players are actually released back to their clubs, especially the ones who are based in Europe after the first game up in Vanuatu. They play Tahiti in Vanuatu. It may be that, you know, a bunch of bunch of players head back and the ones who are still here play against Malaysia at North Harbor on the Monday, so there may have been deals deals done in the background there in the November window, there are two more World Cup qualifiers, so you know, another squad to be named to be named for that football fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen. All right, Key's overseas? Where is Jackie Hand?
Speaker 2: We've found her, pioneer, We've found her. She has gone to Sheffield United in the league under the Woman's Super League in England.
Speaker 1: So was that where Lewis was as well? Was that where she was previously? I think it was, wasn't it Lewis Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sorry Louis so yeah yeah, yes, that's the same league. So she's obviously just just jumped clubs. But she is joining another fellow Kiwi who we haven't probably mentioned on the podcast. Her name is Olivia Paige. She went to the Under twenty World Cup with New Zealand. I used to play with her at Eastern Suburbs. She was a very good player there. Absolute athlete, can kind of play multiple positions. But she is half British, so she went over and trialed at different clubs over there and landed a contract with she Field United last season, so she's had minutes for the first team. So it's positive for Jackie going over that. I'm confident that she'll break in and get good, you know, starting minutes with that club.
Speaker 1: All right, and cross off. Where is Jackie Hand on my regular podcast notes? Now we know where she is. She feeled United. I saw she debuted over the weekend, so many many more games to come. We hope for Jackie Hand. Good to see that she's found a new club and Mickey Foster we spoke about her at Durham. She's she started to get games pretty much straight away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she she has and she's started this morning had her first start for Durham. They had a two to one win League Cup win over Blackburn Rovers and Hannah Blake also started. I'd like to see Hannah Blake start being welcome back into the fern. It's not going to lie.
Speaker 1: And what about Macy Fraser is what is the story here? Because she hasn't played for Utah since the Olympics and the last I heard or saw she was back in christ Church. What's going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen her back in christ Church. She's I don't know why she's not over in the NWUSL. We know that she got subbed off at the Olympics with some sort of injury or illness. Again, there was no real confirmation on why she came off. She was obviously distraught as we saw when we were calling the game Piney, so you know, we need to find out what happened there. But she hasn't been back to Utah. She has been in christ Church. I have seen her posting her juggling videos on her highly popular followed TikTok, but I haven't seen her over in the NWSL, which is such a shame because that was a real platform for her to kind of kick off her career. So gutted she's not over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm same, And if she's doing juggling videos on TikTok, then clearly she's not severely injured. Look, I have no knowledge of what's going on here at all, but I feel like if you if you're at a club, you're at that club and she's not. And I saw a phrase like excused absence or something similar. We know Mac's been quite open about, you know, some some mental health struggles that she's had. I just hope that she can overcome those and be the player we all know she can.
Speaker 2: Be exactly, And that's I think that's the biggest shame of it all. You know, like she's such a good player. We have seen what she's capable of. Even if, you know, even if maybe America is not right for her come back and play for the Phoenix. We know, you know, she got a lot out of playing there, and she kind of you know, it was her big break and football. So just to just to see her keep keep playing football at a decent level would be really nice. You know, it would be great to see her play in the nws L. The game she did play in America, she stood out to me. She held her own and that's really positive for the future of football. But if it's not right for her, that's fine. But I'd still love her. It's love to see her play football in some capacity.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, we'll wait and see on that. Just for the men, Ben Wayne scoring his first goal for Mansfield Town. This is the club he's on loan at from Plymouth Argyle too. Neil went away at Crawley in League One during the week. He scored the second goal. It was late in the peace, but good to see him off the mark for Mansfield. Mansfield are doing pretty well in League One. They're in third place at the moment. Football fever okay close to the home. National League Round one is in the books for both the men and the women. I catching wins for Kashmir Tech four Nell over Western Suburbs and Napier City Rovers four New over Western Springs. So yeah, two big wins there.
Speaker 2: That was huge. Nap City Rovers upset?
Speaker 1: Yeah what a Western Springs. You know more about the Auckland football scene than I do. Was that an upset four nil?
Speaker 2: I thought it was? I mean Napier City Rovers I believe won their league down in Central but you know there's such a in Paris in between Auckland and Central. No offense, but yeah, I deav Springs were one of the better teams, one of the first to qualify up here in Auckland. So yeah, very surprised by that result.
Speaker 1: You know, Nope, you didn't win Central League. They I think they might have been third Wellington Wellington Olympic won it. I'm just going to check. Yeah, Western Suburbs were second and nape your third on goal difference. But yeah, so, which probably makes it even more surprising that they got up four nil over a team like Western Springs. So a fairly handy. Auckland City had a win. Eastern Suburbs had a win. I mentioned last week that I'd heard the Coastal Spirit might be quite good and they drew nil all with Wellington Olympic, which is actually not a bad result. Wellington Olympic are a very very good side. Big game this weekend Wellington Olympic Auckland City repeat of the.
Speaker 2: Chatham Cup final boom Is that in Wellington?
Speaker 1: It is in Wellington, Yes, that one's in Wellington. Three o'clock on Saturday. I believe for the women what stood out for you and the results that came through and around one of the women's national league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised and also not surprised that Wellington United beat Western Springs. There obviously the best team coming out of the Capitol and Springs. Yes they made it to the Kate Shuper Cup final, but probably not the stronger of the Auckland teams. And yeah, Canterbury United beat the Phoenix for one again quite surprising because I think a couple of those scholarship Phoenix players were playing down for that team. But Waterside Corori drawing one off with Auckland United has to take the cake. Definitely a surprise considering how dominant Auckland United have been in recent years. I wonder if maybe they took the game too lightly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was down in Wellington Waterside. Yeah, I guess unfancied against, as you say, the Auckland United side that's been pretty dominant in the north. Wellington United. Will Mickey Robertson go back and play for them, do you think?
Speaker 2: No? I don't think she will. Her sister obviously plays there. Jimmy, who I grew up playing with Gym unbelievable player. I've encouraged her to go and try try luck at the Phoenix, but no, I don't think Mickey will. But I think she will maybe involve herself in some sort of mentorship and be in and around the team. I know she's close with quite a few of the players, so who knows. I believe she'll be taking it kind of month by month, year by year with football and see when she's ready to come back.
Speaker 1: All right, West Coast Range is five mil winners over Central Football as well, so that was the biggest eye catching result. I mentioned before about a Phoenix signing for the women, and as we've been recording this, this has been confirmed. So I'm just going to give you this news hot off the press. The Wellington Phoenix have added me By Tanaka, a Japanese winger, to their rosta. She's played professionally in Japan and South Korea. She joins the Phoenix from Preston Lions FC and the Victoria National Premier League's competition in Australia. She scored scored ten goals and eighteen matches for them. She's twenty eight years old and joins a couple of other Japanese players at the Phoenix, Shiga and Nagasawa in the men's side. So it looks like the Phoenix are looking to Japan for their next wave of imports.
Speaker 2: Bonnie, Yeah, not about bad shout. Honestly, I love the way We've talked about this before. I love the way Japanese players play football. They're so intelligent, you know, on and off the ball, and very very exciting to see that signing.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's twenty players now signed for the Wellington Phoenix Women. They get their season underway at the start of November, so only a month the way from seeing the Wellington Phoenix Women back in action. As well. Just before we go today, I'm a big fan of their New Zealand they are a national airline. Whenever I travel on in New Zealand, I always get I'm always impressed, you know that they do just about everything right. However, we do have to give them a bit of an uppercut on the podcast today because in their latest in Flight magazine there's a small article on Auckland f C's upcoming debut in the A League and it says, and I'm going to quote this Auckland f C is the only team from New Zealand to compete in the A leak, where have they got.
Speaker 2: That's it's giving chat GBT gone wrong? Like seriously, I just don't know how that's happened, considering what the Phoenix would fly that airline often they're on the plane, probably kitch it up. It's yeah, it's it's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just don't know how that has got past the proof readers. Maybe their antity, Maybe that's what's happening these days, AI is just proofreading everything. But then I would imagine that any any AI you know, machine or whatever they're called robots, would actually know of the existence of not only Wellington Phoenix for the last eighteen years, but before that the New Zealand Knights, who had also played in the A League of course in its first two seasons. So quite how they've arrived at the at the you know, the assumption that Auckland f C is the only team from New Zealand to com bet in the A League. I really don't know.
Speaker 2: But I wonder if Aukland f C arranged it and this is just another one of their you know, little little plots for it to add to the rivalry.
Speaker 1: Who knows why not.
Speaker 2: It's heating up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is heating up. I loved what you said before about the jersey swop thing. I think that's great heat. Yes, if that, if that actually comes to past that you can bring your Phoenix care along and get it swapped for Auckland f C gear at Mount Smart. I think that's fantastic heat from Auckland f C. What a What a way to stoke a rivalry, What a way to start, get to get people I'm talking about it.
Speaker 2: Will you bring your shirt and piney when you when you come and watch.
Speaker 1: Don't have any Phoenix shirts, Bonnie. I'm very very impartial.
Speaker 2: Oh, very very impartial.
Speaker 1: Very impartial. Indeed, that's us on the podcast today. Back we hope on Monday. We'll be back at some stage next week, depending on the kind of news that drops over the weekend. But enjoy your weekend, Bonnie. Only a couple of weeks ago till the ALEG starts.
Speaker 2: We'll see you then.
Speaker 1: This is football Fever.