Speaker 1: Hey, it's been here at the top, letting you know. Peter and I talk a bit about the share market in this episode, but neither of us are financial advisors, so please don't take what we say and run with it. Go and get proper financial advice before you make any investment decisions. Now onto the episode.
Speaker 2: This week on the Business of Tech, powered by Two Degrees Business, we catch up with one of the countries leading science communicators on the state of STEM education, the personal toll that speaking out on controversial topics can have, and the need to demystify AI.
Speaker 1: If you haven't taken your kids to a Nano Girl show or seeing doctor Michelle Dickinson hosting international stars like Neil deGrasse Tyson on stage, you've probably seen her on TV talking about emerging technology, stem education, or a few years ago aspects of the big science related issue of the moment, the COVID pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michelle has had incredible cut through with thousands of kids in newscas and engaging them with science, tech, engineering and maths related topics and nurturing the next generation of technologists. But as Nanogirl points out in this week's featured guest, interview Steam Education and our TAIROA is in crisis.
Speaker 3: Sadly during this government psycho, we have cut existing programs that we're doing great things. It's like the whole system's been shut off. And the consequences, I mean, it's easy to see what the consequences up for that nobody's going to come to New Zealand for our high talent pipeline, and nobody's going to be trained here for the jobs that need to.
Speaker 1: Be trained here. Much more on that and Nano Girl's latest AI related project coming up shortly, but first a brief dive into the big tech stories of the week. And we're starting this week with the turmoil and the US markets and what it says about the valuations of the big tech companies that dominate those markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as we record this on Tuesday, being we've seen relatively big drops in the magnificent seven, those big tech stocks, which now include Nvidia, Tesla's in there, and then the other usual suspects like Alphabet, Microsoft, Meta, and they have taken by a large five to ten percent cuts in their market capitalization, which is significant. But you know, these companies have been on a tear, you know, on a real bull run since twenty twenty or so, So really is it that much of a problem. People in the US, in particular are worried because some of the signals out of the US economy are looking a little bit worrying. And that's the job data and also last week the manufacturing data, and we had some of these big tech companies report their earnings and their revenue in late July, and that sort of has spooked some analysts and Americans in general who are looking at it going wow, you know, are these running out of momentum the great run of growth that they've had. Then we had Warren Buffett sell down a massive stake in Apple, seventy odd billion dollars worth of Apple stock. So I guess that's not a great sign for a trendsetter like a Warren Buffett in his mid nineties now sort of saying I want out of Apple it's running out of growth. Not that he's actually said that, but there's clearly a reason why he is liquidating a big chunk of Apple stock still has a lot but once out. At this point, he is a guy who is notorious for picking the market very accurately. A lot of people are just saying something's not right here, what is coming?
Speaker 1: I think you would be remiss if you didn't consider the fact that every time a sector of stocks goes up and up, eventually it has to go down as well. What goes up must come down, right, That's the old adagets is true I think in the share market, and it may not always go down by as much as it's gone up, but the market correction is something that is spoken about all the time, and we've just seen, like with in Nvidia, for example, that stock went out of control. It it went way higher than I think it probably should have, and we saw that it returned. I think an interesting one is probably Intel. That we saw a massive drop in the share price of Intel after they announced a bunch of layoffs and some tightening, and they're clearly really struggling in this world of arm processors and GPUs to try and keep up with the new technology. So I think that you can look at as an example of where there has been a real downturn for a stock. But I think overall, I probably wouldn't say this is, you know, the end of tech stocks as we know it. It's just that they are reaching their new normal and mediating out a little bit, maybe.
Speaker 2: Year fifteen thousand jobs going globally. At Intel, which has sort of been in crisis mode really since the rise of Invidia and its dominant in AI related chips. It supplies eighty nine twenty percent of the market for the chips that go into data centers to process workloads, large language model training and the like. Now and Nvidia is actually facing US Department of Justice action and investigation into complaints from its competitors that it may have abused its market dominance and selling those chips that power artificial intelligence. So we're seeing this on a number of fronts. When we're about to talk about the big one this week, which is Google after four years of Department of Justice litigation, the Department of Justice basically saying, Yep, you're a monopolist in the search game and we have to do something about it. So it seems between the unease about whether the US, which it's sort of done well in the last couple of years, is starting to face the same sort of hard landing that we did coming out out of COVID and we're paying the price of that now. Has the US just been pushing that down the road through injecting money into the economy through the Inflation Reduction Act, all that money that has gone into things like semiconductors and manufacturing, pumping out all this money for infrastructure that Biden's been doing. Is it just a delayed reaction now? And are we going to see a few hard years for the US? So? I guess there's that, But also people looking at the Stella run in tech and going are we ready for that sort of correction we saw in the late nineties and two thousand with the bubble bursting. I don't think it's going to be that, but clearly between regulation and the hollowness of AI at the moment where the revenue isn't coming, but the expenses there from the likes of Microsoft and NVIDI and all that, a lot of people are going, we knew this already there overinflated in priced, but we're going to take some money off the table now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the shine is wearing off. I saw our Business Insider piece early last week and talking about a pharmaceutical company that had five hundred seats I think it was, and upgraded them all to co pilot for another one hundred and eighty thousand dollars a year and then just said it just wasn't worth it for them.
Speaker 2: We'll linked to that Business Insider piece. It was really good because it was quite refreshing to see your company sort of say, yeah, look we in good faith, we implemented it across the business, and we're pulling the plug because we're just not seeing the returns. So yeah, it's good to see that. You talk to Microsoft and it's going gangbusters. Everyone's seeing mental productivity gains and frankly some of the analysts are sort of saying that as well. But actually getting that tangible, independent feedback is great.
Speaker 1: It was just the evidence that it's about specificity, not on mass application, isn't it. And I think that's what's maybe causing a little bit of downward turn in these tech stocks as well, that there was a lot of excitement and that was reflected in those prices for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have a look at this Google case that's been running for over four years now with the Department of Justice. So they just ruled this week turner it. In seventy seven page ruling, Judge Ammett Metta basically said that Google has made these massive payments to Apple and Mozilla to make the Google Search Engine the default on new devices, and including that they did this with Samsung and others as well, paid billions of dollars to other companies to ensure that the first thing you see when you boot up a new device is the Google Search Engine. So they basically said that after having carefully considered and weighed the witness, testimony and evidence, the court reaches the following conclusion. Google is a monopolist and it has acted as one to maintain its monopoly. The consequences of that is that it's charged advertisers higher prices than they would have in a more competitive market. And that's why we see Google with ninety percent of the search market and being and others scrambling for the crumbs off the table. That has a tangible impact on how much a business pays to advertise on the Google search engine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by keeping the Google Search engine as the main search engine that ninety eight plus percent of people are using, that means that they can continue to sell ads on that search engine. They know everybody's going to go there, and they can put the prices up on those ads. And I don't know if you've ever spoken to a small business person in New Zealand. Talk to them about advertising on Google. They always have that same thing. There's just nowhere else I can go. It doesn't matter. I have to pay if I want to get those leads through Google. And you know we're not talking small change, it says in the article Apple got an estimated twenty billion dollars from Google in twenty twenty two. It's in one year just to make the search engine the default on Apple devices. Why would Apple need a twenty billion dollar incentive to have that? If everyone want to Google anyway, That's a really big and interesting question, and I think why the courts have decided the way that they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the question is what happens now. And a lot of the commentary on this is that it will literally take five years to sort this out, minimum because Kent Walker, the company's president of global affairs, has come out today and said, we are going to appeal this. It's great that you think our search engine is so fantastic, thanks guys, but we don't like the monopolist aspect of it as well that you're accusing us of being. So we are going to appeal this. So it we'll go through court. It will move into a new phase where they will continue. They will start hearing arguments now in court about what remedy should be implemented to address this monopoly that the court has decided is monopoly. So nothing's going to happen in the immediate future. But some of the things that could potentially happen is what has happened in Europe where they've the EU Court action near decided a similar thing, which Google has monopolistic properties there, and sort of what they've done there is this what they call a ballot screen. So when you boot up a new device there, you get to choose what search engine you want, say a new Android phone, it will give you a list of them, including the Google search engine. But apparently it's had negligible effect on the company's market share in Europe, so people are still in that mindset of Google is the best, Google is the default. So what will actually make a difference. Will it have to go to structural separation where they sort of break up Google, And how do you even do that without killing the effectiveness of its search engine. It is renowned for being very good, so how they actually fix this problem will create another sort of headache. They're going to have to work through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there is a lot of rumbling, slow movement. I would say in some certain places online about complaints around the Google search engine. And I've read articles saying that the Google search engines saying there are one hundred thousand results is a lie and you can't actually get if you keep clicking through it's not those are not actually there, and that it will only ever display those has a very strong recency bias, and all of these kinds of criticisms of the Google search engine that are slowly growing. So maybe that movement, in conjunction with the ability to select, with new search engines potentially coming out with new technologies underpinning them, we don't know, you know, there could be a step change, a shift in consumer mindset around the corner when it comes to search. It's hard to see because Google is so all consuming it is a verb at this point, but perhaps we will start to see a shift, if you know. I mean, all empires fall at the end of the day, don't they. I don't think digital ones are any different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did well twenty five years and it would be great to see three or four players with twenty percent market share between them, so they're still profitable. They still have a lot of money to invest in search, and as you said, you know these new technologies like AI generated search results and conversational AI could change the game and give new entrants more of an opportunity. So we'll see how this play out next week. We do have an expert on search advertising, paid advertising and that and how some of these changes are affecting what businesses will need to do when it comes to trying to find an audience. That's Ryan McMillan from Atlas Digital. So that's on next week's episode. But just finally on news this week, being some interesting commentary about Spotify, and I'm no longer a Spotify user. I bailed out of Spotify a long time ago just because it was a better deal to do YouTube music, because I get bundled in the ad free experience on YouTube, which as a super user of YouTube, I really appreciate. And there are real fanatical loyalists to Spotify, which I remember being a bit sad to leave it because it was a great discovery machine for new music. But increasingly we're seeing commentary a big piece in the New Yorker that's got a lot of attention. Another one in the Guardian, people going what is up with Spotify? It's not showing the music I want to discover anymore. It seems to be recycling all the same big name artists. To me, are they paying behind the scenes to have this stuff featured? And it turns out it's not as simple as that. But what is going on is this new discovery mode, which effectively allows an artist to forego some royalties to be featured prominently in parts of the Spotify app, which effectively gives them more exposure to people, encourages people to follow them and start listening to their music. So the argument is that by manipulating that discovery mode, they're favoring some artists and it's why people like you've been are seeing more of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I still am a Spotify user, and I think it's mainly I did try to bail out into Apple Music not long ago, but I just couldn't figure out how to get my playlists over, which is just a huge thing, like I don't want to lose all of the work that I've put into following those particular songs that you know that I have over the years. That also is an interesting area to look at for monopoly and consumer data right kind of approach there in terms of who owns the data around my preferences. But yeah, I definitely have noticed over the years that Spotify stops serving up unexpected everything I hear. Now it kind of fits within these kind of expected realm of music that it keeps serving to me. And I have fairly broad tastes, so it's nice to just hear some new random stuff every now and again. That could be completely terrible, but when you're actively looking for new music, it's okay to have terrible stuff, well, stuff that you think is terrible put in front of you, because it's kind of part of the fun to.
Speaker 2: Go, oh, what's this crap? Turn that off?
Speaker 1: You know, oh this is quite interesting. It's all part of the joy of it, rather than just aiming for homogeny and just having bland. But where you have an algorithm, you will have gaming of algorithms at the end of the day. I think that's the reality of it. And now Spotify, with all of its podcasts and all of its kind of pretty terrible approach to audio books, to be honest, there's a whole new level of kind of trying to get through the user experience, and the New York A piece talks about how hard it is to find stuff that you're looking for, and it's absolutely right, like trying to find a playlist, and yeah, so it feels like it should be split into a few different apps Spotify podcasts, Spotify audiobooks, Spotify Music, and then you can kind of go where you want to. But by trying to shove what they want in your face, it speaks to that kind of inification trope. And if you have successfully moved from Spotify to Apple Music, let me know how you did it. Until all your playlists with you, that would be great. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Now. Our guest this week is an engineer, entrepreneur, and former academic, Michelle Dickinson aka Nanogirl. Michelle grew up in Hong Kong, the USA, the United Kingdom, did a PhD in Biomedical materials engineering at Rutgers University in New Jersey, worked in the tech industry, and eventually found a way to Auckland, New Zealand, where she set up the country's first nanotechnology testing lab.
Speaker 1: And so that's where she gets the nano and nanogirl and Michelle is fascinated with the science of small stuff, manipulating individual atoms and molecules to come up with cool new materials and technologies.
Speaker 2: But she's also got her teeth into some big issues over the last decade or so, including the skill shortage in the so called STEM subjects as science, tech, engineering, and maths. She co founded OMG Tech to address that issue, and later Nanogirl Labs, which is her vehicle for bringing STEM to kids here and around the world.
Speaker 1: She really is a science communication dynamo, which we really need as a country. But it hasn't been smooth sailing in recent years for Michelle or other high profile science communicators like Susie Wiles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, COVID wasn't just bad for business for Nanogirl Labs, at least for a while. It unleashed a lot of toxic sentiment towards scientists, which Michelle had to deal with. So here's Nanogirl on all of that and her take on artificial intelligence and what it means to the next generation of STEM graduates and the workforce in general. Michelle, thanks so much for being on the business of tech. So good to see you again. It's been quite a while, haven't caught up with you recently, but I think our relationship goes back over a decade. Related to the Science Media Center. We were working together on the Cydeblogs platform. You were a big contributor at the time to the commetary that we were putting out to the media. At the Science Media Center, you went through our Science Media Savvy course, and it's just been incredible watching your science communication journey, going from being an academic that didn't do a lot of communication to being on stage with Neil de grasse Tyson doing a Q and A with him at spark Areen in front of tens of thousands of people. What's that been like? What was the key really to you? Sort of coming out of your shell and really building communication into your career?
Speaker 3: You were the key, Peter. I always say people go, how did you get air? And I was like, there's a man called Peter Griffin that I met, Not the family guy, the family guy you, I mean, you really are in the Science Media Center that you were running at the time. Is the reason why I'm here. It opened my eyes to something that I didn't know exists did I was a nerdy, socially awkward academic doing nanotech in my lab and frustrated that a lot of the false and the misinformation I was seeing at the time around the field I was in wasn't being corrected. And then saw a course and managed to get the scholarship to go on the course, and then was like, hold on, I could be the person who talks about this and I had no skills in it, right, I was painfully shy and it was awful. But the Science Media Center and the media Savvy course I went on that you led showed me that there are different ways to communicate, and there are different platforms, and actually it's really important for scientists to have a voice when it's about things that you know, the public just don't know where to get good, solid, evidence based information on. Then I've also seen a need for it as I've got deeper into science communication around you know, different pockets of the community that really don't get this. So yeah, you you, Peter, you where I am here?
Speaker 2: Well, that was a stepping off point, but then you did so much more to take that to great heights. What process did you go through to get to the point where that's sick and nature to you?
Speaker 3: I would never say that I don't have nerves even today. I think all good people who should be nervous. It's a good feeling to have. It means you're doing something serious. And I don't think people realize how much preparation goes into even a two minute interview live on TV. I've met extroverted communicators who can really, nearly on the fly, just come up with something that's not me. So the amount of work that I will do behind the scenes, the research, the memorizing soundbites, the things to make myself confident is massive, and maybe people don't appreciate how much work happens behind there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at short notice when a major issue is going down, you know that takes dedication and carving out the time to do that preparation.
Speaker 3: And yeah, all night usually if there's a breaking news. And usually you'll get the call from the media the night before at eight pm and they'll be like, can you be on at six thirty eight. I won't sleep that night. I'll have read around the subject. I'll make sure that I've got my soundbites. I write them on post it notes, I'll start memorizing them. Often you'll see I've written on my hand before I've gone into the studio right before we're live, I've just chucked my hand. So it's in my brain like there's lots of little things that I do at least to make sure I'm prepped.
Speaker 2: And it's great. We saw this cohort that really around the same time as you were building your science communication skills, others were doing it as well. Richard Easter, Sean Hendy, Michael Plank, all these people, and a lot of them became very prominent during the COVID pandemic, most notably I think Susie Wiles, who went through hell really with her own institution and recently won that employment court case against the University of Auckland, was a great communicator for the university and in her own right didn't get to support that she needed. For you. You were at the University of Auckland. I think you said you've sort of had to put up with that as well then going out on your own. I guess the freedom that gave you, but also no safety in it, no institutional support at all.
Speaker 3: Look, academia is a really interesting place. It was a place that I learned, you know, early on, but I didn't quit it early enough that I didn't really fit for that. There's lots of people there who are a type personalities, who believe, and they often are the best in their field at what they do academically. And so when you've got what I call lots of egos in a room, you can feel like there are lots of fifdoms everywhere. And so when communicators like myself and like Susie come along, where our craft is not just our academic knowledge, but our ability to get information out to the layperson, to the public quickly. It's a really a skill, and I think people think they could do it but don't understand that actually it's a skill that has to have work. So yeah, there was a few more, probably more times that I want to admit that I was told that my communication was a waste of time. I remember winning the Prime Minister's Science Communication Prize and I literally got off the plane and I went straight to work, went to my office, put the it was this massive trophy, it was amazing, it was so heavy, put it on my shelf and I was so proud. And within three minutes an academic in my department walked into it, picked it up, looked at me and said, well, it's not like it's a real reward, is it. And then walked out and I just went, why would you take that from me to elevate yourself Like it's crazy. But that's academia, right. It's just filled with lots of quirky people. And that's the amazing thing about academia. And that's when I realized that great, that it's not a space that I probably want to stay in. But I've come from other places, so I sort of had to think to compare it to But during that time became great friends with Richard Easter and shown Hendy and Susie and sort of became this amazing communication cohort where we could bounce ideas off each other and talk about what we were doing. And then COVID and so I had left the university by that point, and I had my own business, and so I was also asked by lots of people, including the government, to help communicate things around COVID, and I think the difference is when you run your own business and you don't have academic freedom to protect you. I made choices about what I went into or one I didn't, and what I said and what I didn't. So as a communicator. I turned down lots of lots of media when they said can you do this? And I was like, do you know what, No, I feel like it's too high risk, especially things that are aligned with telling people what they should do. I never once said you should do this. I said, hey, here's the evidence that we know right now. This might change tomorrow because it's coming in thick and first, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but this is what the evidence says. And I never aligned myself with any sort of political party. Labor was obviously in at the time, so I went, hey, you know, these are the people who are in. This is what they're saying, this is what the evidence says. But I had to be really careful because I have stuff, and if it all goes horribly wrong, it doesn't just go horribly wrong for me. It's the livelihood of all of the stuff that they have, who have mortgages, you know, that depend on me bringing an income in to the organization. So I had to think about those people. And I think if I was an academic, I maybe would have taken on more things, hoping that academic freedom would have protected me. And I saw that, you know, Susie was able to do that. Sean Hendy was able to take on more things, or at least they thought they could. Yeah, and obviously it went pretty horribly wrong for them. And I'm not saying that I didn't have issues too. So my home address, photos of my home were taken, pictures places that you could shoot me from the easiest as a gas station across my old house. I moved, actually, but it did the same with Susie, you know, taking picture of a cat outside a house, posting her address, saying, well, do what you want, this is where she lives. And it was a really awful, frightening time. And then she had a public workplace right that people could and they did go to and confront and I think it was a really scary time because people were just a little bit unhinged. I think everybody was super stressed and you just never knew. And the challenge with being in the media spotlight is people know who you are and you don't know who they are. And being recognized in part is a double edged sword for sure, because if they're a friendly, it's great, But if they're a foe, let me tell you, they'll come up to you personally and tell you what for. So watching what happened with Susie, I mean, she's so brave for taking on the university and luckily being awarded the win. And I think it's I hope it's better for academics to be able to come out and talk about things that might be a bit hairy. But in the meantime, we've lost I'm an amazing communicator. She's, you know, a shell of herself. She doesn't come out anymore to talk about the things and she was at the top of her game around communication, and it's been really distressing to see that. So you do take more risk as a communicator. I do it because I really see I really feel the benefit of the work that I do, because I do get people saying thank you for that. I just didn't know. It really helped me navigate choices in my life, and those can be choices, big choices that people you know are trying to make because they don't have great science literacy. And that's the challenge. Our population has terrible science literacy in general. And so where do you go when you're an adult and you're trying to make a good informed decision about something When Google says anything you wanted to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you still do a lot of that sort of communication aimed at the population in general on often contentious issues. But your real focus in recent news has been nanogurl Labs. It's an online platform, but it's live events. You go to schools, you do big shows, lots of special effects and that to get people engaged. And it's what's that journey been like? Leaving academia, setting up on your own steam and having to navigate some hard years when you couldn't do live events because of COVID.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I you know, anybody who owns a business knows that you don't get it in it because you want to sleep more or you want to make more money. You do it because you see a problem that you think you might be able to help, at least not solve, but go in the right direction and be part of a cohort. So those who don't know my background, I was not great at school. I didn't grow up with much money. I didn't grow up with educated parents, so even going to university was never something that was on my radar. I think, you know, having fallen into lots of lucky situations and lots of grown ups at the time who helped me becoming an engineer in the end, and then having an academic career and having a career in tech in the US. I just I always, every day felt so grateful that I was here, especially when I look back at the kids I went to school with. Granville Harvey I went to school with is in prison for attempted murder, no surprise, but he's the guy I shared my textbooks with. You know, we were rough kids, And I go, well, it was only a hot for me not following in his footsteps. Right, So how am I not in jail? How do I have this amazing career? And how do I make sure that kids like me, who through no fault of our own, just not living in areas with lots of tech, not having those ecosystems where academia is promoted, how do those kids get to do this? And so I always had this inner fire to go how do I get that to happen? And when I worked at the university, and even when I worked in sort of the tech space in the US, it became very clear to me that the people I was working with and the students we were bringing in our privileged students. That's privilege through education. That's privileged through Often parents are academic or would push them into that system. And the kids who weren't making it through are those kids you expect not to write, those growing up in poverty, those growing up in rural those growing up with parents who aren't in this sector and don't know it exists. I said, well, how do we because diversity is so important in tech, especially because otherwise all we have is a bunch of Caucasian Silicon Valley nerds inventing tech for us, and that doesn't represent our problems. And it became very clear to me that even our academic system shuts off so many students based on grades, and the grades these kids getting might not be the top because their school doesn't have a physics teacher, because there's so many things that affect our young people because of their postcode. And so I'm still on this mission to go, how do we help more young people who come from diverse backgrounds to realize that STEM is a place that they should be, They should be welcomed, and we have to figure out how we get them into it when so many doors are closed because the system's been the system for a long time, and then how do we then keep them in the system and help them to think through problems that nobody else in the field is really thinking about. And we've just rewritten the high school curriculum for four Pacific island nations, which has been such an honor, and we've shown that those students who now study It was a year ten program and now fifty percent of them are now staying on to study science at year eleven because we did localized context. Right now, they're being taught by a non science teacher and they're being given a free New Zealand or Australian textbook to read from right, And that's just how we've dealt with the Pacific And so we wrote this amazing program that was I mean, it was amazing that you know, they could look out of the window and suddenly see the context of what they were doing. The examples were local to them, and it's I mean, it's not brain science, like it's not rocket science. You just go, hey, yeah, make kids understand why we're doing this'll stick with it. So for me, yeah, I have this inner burning desire to help increase diversity in STEM and that's been a big part of what we do, and it's been a rollercoaster because funding keeps getting cut. So covid obviously happens our in person stuff. We were about to do a big global tour. We had just opened our California office in February twenty twenty. We shut it in March twenty twenty, I think, with the shortest New Zealand company ever see having built up all of that stuff setting up a Delawes c or like all of the work that goes into setting up your American office and then hiring a GM there, only to have to let them go, like it's a huge spence and it's a huge learning curve. So it's been rookie. But what I've loved is being able to build all these communicators. So we currently have thirty five science communicators in New Zealand. They're all students, usually graduate students doing their musters who also are Nana girls. They all have their own superhero names and they're local to their communities and they go out and they do schools, parties, mall shows, public performances under the Nanogol brand. And I go, well, this is also how we get to sort of create the next generation of science communicators and show young people that there's an amazing young female scientists in their neighborhood and this is what they're doing. And we've got everything from jumping spider experts to music physicists. I mean, it's just incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's such a compelling proposition the STEM subjects, I mean, the careers that people can have, the salaries that people can earn from Maria and Pacifico who are underrepresented in the STEM related industries. It's really tough for STEM organizations at the moment. Funding has been cut. In real terms, a lot of them are barely holding on. It's ironic, isn't it that as any government that is in power at the moment is all about we need to diversify our economy using engineering, science and technology. But we're not backing it up with that commitment at the early stages.
Speaker 3: I think worse in that. I think sadly during this government cycle, not only way not backing up, we have cut existing programs that we're doing great things. I'm going to give you a list because I've been writing it down because it's been depressing. So OMD Tech obviously that I co founded with Born rosel from then back ten years ago, they were the main national digital technologies education provider if you wanted to learn anything about coding robotics, and they had a massive MADI and PACIFICA Group two making sure that they were doing it bilingually and trilingually. It was amazing. So they have just closed down. So that means it's going to be really hard now if you're a teacher to do PD development, to learn or upskill in tech. But that's just one of them. So we lost the Curious Minds funding now that's one point six million dollars a year. That has a significant effect not only on cool projects that spun out of it, but also it was where Comet, which is the big South Auckland STEM group got all their funding from. Now they're independent and I think it's going to be really hard for them to do what they used to do with that. So they are obviously downsizing and trying to figure out who they are. Otago Museum, who do amazing outreach. Curious Minds funded all of their communicators to go up to schools and do those programs. They have cut all of those programs now because they've lost that funding. The Wonder project, which is an incredible program by Engineering New Zealand where they would go into schools and so my finger dab into that is I helped to build that program. And what I wanted to build was a long term relationship with engineers and scientists with school so they would go in for nine to twelve weeks every week and help kids build a rocket. And they had a project from start to finish. They've lost a million dollars a year of Callahan funding, which is basically their big breadwinners. So who knows what's going to happen to them. House of Sciences. You may have seen City and Upper Hut Council stopped their funding. That was access for fifteen thousand students. Now Chris luckily has managed to get enough because she's worked hard on raising some funds till twenty twenty five. But then what and I just go, oh onn this is nuts. This is on top of all of the academic jobs that have been cut and the knee were in the CRI jobs and so the jobs have gone, and the training and the funding has gone, and teachers now don't have anywhere to go to learn this stuff. It's like the whole system's been shut off and the consequences are I mean, it's easy to see what the consequences are for that. Nobody's going to come to New Zealand for our high talent line and nobody's going to be trained here for the jobs that need to be trained in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got our Science Minister are out there championing the space sick difference. It's our first Minister of Space, which is all well and good, but where's the pipeline of future space engineers that are going to feed this industry. If we don't nurture them at those early stages, we're going to be relying on people coming to this country to fill those positions.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent. It's got to be immigration. That has to be the solution, because we are not building that talent pipeline right now, and that talent pipeline is a long lead pipeline. You can't go oh, when they've picked their unique subjects. That's when we're going to do it. Because what we've seen around innovation, So David diet Downs and I wrote a book called Number eight Recharged where we studied our top big companies, including Rocket Lab and Peter Beckham. What those journeys are of those top people, and it's not academics. It's experience, it's trying things, it's being hanging out with people who are diverse to you to solve those problems. And if those people aren't getting into the system and being able to test some things out, we're not going to build the next whatever it is. Rocket Lab is a great example, and we seem to go, oh, well, once you've got your degree dot dot dot, you can do this, but the evidence shows you that the degree has very little to do with it. It's those types of personalities having good systems around them where they can access funding, where they can access information, where they can just try something, fail and try again, and with that comes confidence and with that comes your ability to when you I mean, if you talk to Peter Beck, he's a rocket scientist because when he was eleven and Invercargo, he was building rockets in his shed with his dad, like that sort of stuff. Having kids building things in schools, trying robots, trying coding to build that confidence young is how they make it through the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we do have a real problem to address here, and it can't just be philanthropic money. We don't have enough of it. It can't just be TICH companies because they have their own spin on the technology stack. They want you to invest your time, so it does need to be government funding. Another thing I really admire you for is how well you engage with the business community around technology and working with companies to encourage them to explore new technology. The technology of the moment is generative AI, which you have been scoping out and are heavily involved in as well. Just last week, you spoke at Gartner and Sydney at their big annual conference. Rewiring for the Future was the theme of your talk, So you've obviously been looking at this technology. What's the message that you were giving to people who went to the Gartner conference about what this technology means for the workplace, about skills and what they need to do to make the most of it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: As a science communicator, and I guess as a tech communicator, my goal is to help demystify some of the jargon that's involved around highly technical or fields, to help democratize tech, to help people to make good decisions for them. That's always what I've done as a communicator. I don't tell you what you should do or what you shouldn't do, But I will help you understand what is probably hype and what is probably going to be very expensive. And with businesses, it's all about return on investment and AI actually, if you're going to build your own system in house, is a lot of financial commitment, and so businesses are feeling the pressure to throw all this money into something that they really feel like is a black box right now. So my goal is to help people understand, Hey, what's already out there? What does it mean. There's all of these terms, you know, like large language models, neural networks, and they all sound so insanely technical, and I actually go, hey, here's what it is like. This is what it does, this is what it can do, this is what it can't do. And my philosophy, whatever age you are, has always been come play, because when you play with whatever it is, you learn, whether I'm giving you a self driving robot and you're learning how to code it to go around in circles, or I'm giving you some AI tools to play with that are fun, that are silly. My favorite one is there's a website called bored humans dot com and in there is a marriage simulator and you can get your virtual AI husband or wife and you can argue with them. And I love that because suddenly you went you out of your work environment and you're playing with an AI system and you're arguing with it. You'll realize that humans are way better at insarting than AI. Right, So it just takes that intimidation out. And I've had lots of people go, I don't know where to get started, and so credit a YouTube series to help people not only demystify the jargon. So in three minutes unless you'll learn about whatever the jargon is, hallucination or the difference between traditional AI and generative AI, that's easy. But then Joe Crib came to me and said, can you just help me actually get started practically? I don't know where to use this, and so I'm building a YouTube series basically use AI to heck your life that she's following and writing up and in the Sunday Star Times every Sunday, but actually is free for everybody to go. Hey, So the one that's this week is how do you use AI to help you take the mental load off figuring out what's for dinner every day? So we have a simple one which is recipes by AI. Just look in your fridge, type in what you've got and it'll give you dinner for tonight. But the longer version is you can actually take that meal planning away. So I'll give you some prompts and jet GBT and just explaining that prompts are instructions, and I have a way that I write my prompts a really simple formula that gets a good result out and then you literally go, hey, this is what my family looks like. It's winter in New Zealand and we're budget conscious, so only you seasonal things. My kids don't eat, bean, speech, treat, whatever it is. Give me a meal plan for the week, and also write me a grocery list with everything in order that's in the grocery. I also, I'm not having to find everything, and then you can just print it out and go and you've suddenly taken away all of that mental load of what's for dinner? What are I need to get from the sharps, blah blah blah. And the goal is just to give people time back in their life, in their personal life. And what I've seen in AI is the big hype, especially around the media, is it's going to take all of our jobs, and everybody's petroviied, and I just try and sort of show people how you can really push it to its limits in ways that you're not afraid of, like doing your grocery shopping or picking what's for dinner, and then see what it's greater and what it's terrible at, and learn when it lies to your faith through hallucinations like how many hours are in the word strawberry, and how it tries to convince you that you're wrong as a human and that's okay because that's just genera to AI. That's what it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gartner has its infamous hype cycle, and at the moment appears GENAI is sort of on the trough of disillusionment. And I think that's really that it was hyped up. A lot. A lot of money has gone into the industry, and the initial adopters of this, who maybe gave copilot to everyone in the organization, are going and paying thirty dollars extra a month. I'm not getting the the productivity boost that I was promised to you. So we still have a bit of work to do, don't we Until we do see productivity efficiency, But also new product generation, new ideas coming through in businesses that these tools are enabling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's so much happening so quickly, like every day, you know, like now matters coming out with that, Like everybody's trying to launch the next new and big thing. And I think it could be really confusing as to what should you use and what's the best and how do you find it? And I think what happens is businesses productize the system, so you just have to wait a little bit and somebody will find a good solution for you that will be great for solving your problem. And AI has been around for a long time, obviously, I think it's just the jargon of saying, Hey, what people are talk about is generative AI. That's great, this is what it can do. This is where it gets stuck. You've been using AI on your Spotify or on Netflix for a long time. You don't even think about it. So let's not stress about the big scary words that are being thrown down. If you want to understand them, here are some videos just be a way and rewaring the brain. The talk that I give is about, hey, you don't have to be an expert in everything, but just be open to. If you hear something new, just dabble in. What is it? And do you think that's going to be the next big thing? And the easiest way to tell is ROI like, does it have huge economic potential? If the answer is yes, great, it's going to be big. But we've been through the cycle through you know, blockchain and NFTs, like I feel like there's always something on the cards and what succeeds is the thing that has huge economic potential. So just go can somebody make lots of money out of this? If the answer is yes, keep an eye on it. If the answer is no, keep an eye on it too. But don't start trying to move your whole business to incorporating something early. And we all know that early adopters are never the ones that actually succeed. I think it's good that New Zealand's a little bit behind sometimes because we just get to sit and watch everybody else throw money into something and then we go cool that one would let's go with that one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I really love that message of experimentation. And you can do that safely without putting all your company information into the large language model, so you know, have some governance around that, and there's some great tools out there now from the AI Forum and others around how to do it safely, but experimentation just finishing up back on in the classroom in the STEM environments. For years, the mantra was we've got to get more kids coding in that. What do you think the implications of AI are for coding? We've got GitHub Copilot, we've got increasingly automation off the coding process. Are you still recommending kids go and learn how to code?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. And there is a being is that you still need human checks and look, I have loved generative AI for coding, like it helps me to be a better coder. I think if you're going to learn anything, if you understand data and you understand Python right now, you are probably the most sought after person in industry because that's sort of what the AI field is looking for. The thing about learning coding is it's like learning any language. I don't care what language you actually learn to code in. What you're understanding is the process of how do these systems work? And that I think is the most important thing. It gives you confidence around tech. It allows you to turn something that wasn't moving into something that does something. And I think having digital literacy is really important. So if you're learning to code at the age of eleven, like, it's not going to harm you. You're learning about language, you're learning about order and structure. And also if your AI coding system has a bug, you can see where it is, and that's the most important human side. AI is not going to replace us. What you need is a good human to overview the AI to know where the bugs might be. And to do that you have to be proficient in the language that it's speaking. And so that's code, that's understanding how things work in sequence, that's understanding brackets, that's all of the nerdy stuff. And I think if you do that young, you just have a confidence throughout that you can, even if you don't know the language that's in, you know the process of that language, and then you can sort of debug it. So I'm still an advocate because I don't see any harm in it in having our kids learn how to Even if you're just coding a self driving robot that drives from A to B, go through that sequence and you'll never lose that skill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you look at the Titan New Zealand at the moment. But the bit's paying jobs is still paying great money for coding all those sort of languages like Python you were talking about, still a great career to be in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a career where you can work remotely now and be working if there's no money in New Zealand, working for an American or as Singaporean company and still being a kei we I mean, it's flexibility. It's best with an amazing paycheck. And you know, if we can help New Zealanders to get on a road to a job that actually gives the security and finance, security and housing security, why wouldn't we want to build that?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: Lots covered there, lots of really fascinating stuff. I think the thing that stuck out to me most was when she was talking about the needless their education and reaching people who were not reaching, and she made the point that what we need is more of these people who are super passionate and excited and will just take something and run with it like you're Peter Beck. That was one of her examples, but I think Peter Jackson is another example, Edmund Hillary and Kate Shepherd. But the thing about those people and a lot of people is that they are generally from families that have the privilege of kind of giving them space to be able to do what they want. And you know, she talks about the creating a new curriculum for PACIFICA students and putting it in a context that they understand or not they understand that suits them, I should say, And it's always going to be the case that if you have kids who are coming to something and they are having to understand a new context for it as well as the new content, they're going to be doing double the mental workload. So being able to make it more accessible is not just about taking the same curriculum and putting it in front of new kids. It's about finding new ways of engaging them and then giving them wrap around support so that they can try and fail and explore and create and build in all of those kinds of things as well, Like just restructuring the school curriculum in minor ways is not actually going to make the major shift that we might need.
Speaker 2: No, And I was just blown away. I knew about OMG tech winding up, but when Michelle was sort of listing off all of those other organizations that have wound up or have had massive budget cuts. It's really worrying if we want to build this high tech workforce, all of these opportunities, whether they be with Mari and Pacifica or just in general in schools, a lot of that stuff is not going to exist anymore. It's the same with digital equity stuff around subsidizing broadband for poorer households. A lot of that stuff is getting cut as well. So I think we're at risk, and times are tough across the economy, but we're at risk of really taking a step backwards in terms of having those opportunities for people to really get exposed to STEM subjects and therefore want to pursue a career in those topics. But great to see what Michelle's doing and nanogirl Labs, and we'll be seeing a lot more of her, including on our YouTube channel around artificial intelligence as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great to have people like that. It's a pity to see all those cuts and to see less spaces. A central city library has this awesome maker space, but a lot of the suburban libraries don't have those kinds of things, or if they do, they're not really that well known. We could be doing so much more as a society to provide these amazing spaces in communal areas that don't require huge expense for people to just go and try and be well.
Speaker 2: We could be our Central Library in Wellington's a shell at the moment, it's going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars, so there's no getting away from experience there unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's true. Well, that's it for the Business of Tech this week. Thanks so much to Nano Girl Michelle Dickinson for coming on the show. We've put links to her various ventures, including her Ai Life Hacks YouTube series in the show notes.
Speaker 2: The Business off Tech is on all major podcast platforms as well as iHeartRadio, where you can stream every episode. Show notes are in the Tech section on the Business Desk website. Leave us a review and share it with your friends and colleagues.
Speaker 1: Get in touch with your feedback, ideas, topic and guest suggestions. You can email me ben at business test dot com dot ben Z. We'll find both of us on LinkedIn and x and.
Speaker 2: You'll find the next episode of the Business of Tech in your podcast app bright and early next Thursday.
Speaker 1: Until then, have a great week.