Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from News Talks at be How are you welcome?
Speaker 2: He'll Thursday feels like Thursday is Thursday. That's a good thing because it's Thursday. Here till midnight tonight. Looking forward to your contribution. Obviously, we will I you, we they, We will be following the situation with the heavy rain. I'm hearing there's a situation in spring click Creek that probably will come to a head tomorrow morning. For those that don't know, Spring Creek feels to me like it's about five k's north of Blenham on the banks of the Waidou River. So if you've got a report about what's happening there, we'll let us know if you've got an update on the deluge. It seems to me from the vibe I get from the news that all the warnings are in place and people are handing us the right way. Although this does feel about the third or fourth big weather event this year. I don't know Spring Creek that well. I seem to be aware that there's been evacuations there in the past, because I believe I've been in this seat talking about evacuations. But from six am tomorrow morning is when people should evacuate. It is on the bank and they reckon the riido will start rising significantly because the stompbank, the stop bank is compromised. I don't know how many houses that would be. You might be one of them. Residents on Dobson Hathway and March Street, as well as parts of Faery Road, have been advised to stay with friends or family. You have a grab bag ready, and take your pets, and take your prescriptions, and take your pets prescriptions. But it seems as though there's a handle on this because these people are evacuation ready. Apparently had bucketed all day and picked in and it's still running in Richmond Tasmond, although temperatures are miles temperatures A mild run on the country was eighteen degrees today in Dunedin they get eighteen degrees in June and Daneda. That's a headline. So it's all about spring creek. I like how to say to stay with friends or family. I guess you'd say with your enemies probably as well. This wouldn't be as much fun, would it. And the North Farling gets the heavy rain tomorrow may cause localized surface flooding and difficult driving. They should say more difficult driving, because for some people driving is difficulty anyway, with the roundabouts and the indicating that's that's optional. Of course, the indication these days, isn't it The Harbor Bridge might close tomorrow morning?
Speaker 3: One day.
Speaker 2: Whenever sweepstake on the Harbor Bridge closing, they always talk it up. But you know why it's going to close because someone drove a truck into one of the middle spanners. And I forget what they were called those middle spanners. I had the word for that about three months ago. It was a good word too. Anyway, someone will tell me what one of the middle spanners the middle spans is called anyway, But gorgeous day in Dunedin. Hey, but that's not the nuts and bolts of the show. But you have got weather updates, so we are with an update to We're just phone it through if you've got something to tell us. I'd like to be across that throughout the course of the evening.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: What I want to talk about tonight is slightly surprising. I don't think I've talked about on the show before ever, and I'm not entirely sure how I will get into it as a topic. But I've got a lot to say about it and what I want to discuss tonight at some depth, and I don't even know which is going to be the facet of the topic that's going to be the most interesting. However, what I want to talk about is what the Australians call schnitty. So what's happened? Why is Australia suddenly obsessed with schnitzel. There's songs about it, there's restaurants focused on it. You go on TikTok, you go on Instagram. All it is Australia's eating snitzel or schnitty as they call it, and stitti and chips, and it's taken over every pub meal is chicken snitchel and chips. It's what they love, or palmi or palma as they call it, which is chicken schnitzel with ham and cheese. So how come Australia, which is so close, is so fixated with schnitzel and it's passed us by because I would say, very really deg New Zealand and you see schnitzel off it, particularly chicken schnitzel, But in Australia, it's taken over. So as part of that, I want your vibes on that, your experience with schnitzel in Australia, and in fact, when I went to the rugby leg at Penrith, that's what every stand was stealing, was schnitty and chips or schnitzel. Here very ready, I've never seen a food truck do schnitzel, never, not once so and I always thought for a while that schnitzel was only veal, but that is wiener stitzel. And some people are funny about veal because it seems it can seem cruel because the young calves having had their full lives. But actually stitzel can be any meat as long as it's bat and thin and crumbed and fried. But the Aussies love it, they reckon if there was one national dish, it would be schnitzel, except for Aaron Pattison. She preferred the beef Wellington and her day will come tomorrow. And suspect when she got the big house for a long long time because she killed the family. The in laws had any killed the minister. If you are feeling sinister, go off and see the minister. But I want to talk about and tell me you might want to come through and tell me that you cook a brilliant one, or where you find a good schnitzel in New Zealand and why we have in fact turned our back on it. So anything schitzeer related, I don't know if I'm obsessed with schnitzel. I just like how the Australians got nickname for everything and collect schnitty schnitty and chips. So that's the topic for tonight, is schitzel. Well see how many calls we can get about this might be none, but I suspect that out there there's a lot of secret schnitzel obsessives and people have got theories why it's not a big deal in New Zealand. I mean, it was the last time you saw a pub meal that had schnitzel? And do we even know that schnitzel can be chicken? I know if that's been anything I've been never aware of. So eight hundred and eighty put your thought thinking, kept on if you got anything exciting to talk about Schnitzel. Funny enough, from my research today, I think it's originally a food from Israel that went out through kind of Turkey and into Germany and Italy and they've all put vibes on it. So yeah, Schnitzel, Schnitzel, Schnitzel. I have trouble saying, which is gonna be awkward? Just off the ferry from Winnington, driving through Spring Creek raining like you wouldn't believe. Wow, Like I guess if it's raining like you wouldn't believe, it's fair to say that's heavy rain. And where would you say it? And have the best schnitzel. You've gotta have a slice of lemon, don't you.
Speaker 3: Think you got?
Speaker 2: I think that's compulsory. I don't know how they cook in a pan or their dep for I don't even know how they do it. But yes, I think we need to talk about schnitzel, because why would there be one food that the Ausies have embraced so thoroughly. It's their national dish, no doubt about it. And it hasn't been there, only that it's only been there since the mid eighties. Yeah, I've done deep dive research on this. I read every article I could, apart from those that were paywalled. Could you get me that article from the Canbra Times, Dan it's about when did Australia become obsessed with Stitzel or something like that. I think you'll find it. Chris, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 5: Oh thanks very much, Mark. How are you tonight?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 2: Thank you Chris, thanks for asking and thank you for coming through such a clear line and a nice voice.
Speaker 5: Oh fantastic.
Speaker 7: Great to you.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm ringing up in regards for the snitchell and my wife and I we love it. And Cop and Cone. The last one we had was a Cob and Co and Talpo.
Speaker 2: Well, I like the way you say Snitzel, and I've been schlitze will be making a bit of a meal about like it. So tell me was that it was that a Wiener Stitzel or a chicken Stitchel.
Speaker 5: It was a big stitch.
Speaker 2: Okay, so hit Finley and quite nice. Well what with the side of lemon chips and the salad?
Speaker 5: Oh don't we had? But but Cob and Co and Talfo they still do their original menu and that was on the original menu.
Speaker 2: So Co, Cob and Co always did a Snitzel with a preffect.
Speaker 8: Light right, yeah they did?
Speaker 9: Yeh wow.
Speaker 2: And when you say you're you and your wife are obsessed about it? How obsessed? Like will you cook it at home?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, fully folly and just and we don't even like we'll just crumb it. But when we've when we've had our home kill done, like you're saying, you can get any any cut done, you know, Yeah, yeah, we just you just we just tacked the box saying snitchle and you just put down how much you really want? We do bed and sausages.
Speaker 2: You couldn't do it with that because I'm sending one of the sheep to the work. You couldn't do a sheep schnitzel, though, could you?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 5: I suppose you could as long as you could cut it thin enough. We've always just done beef. Wow, just the old cow, just the headdack as we'd call.
Speaker 2: It wow, you call they actually call it paddock.
Speaker 3: Here the cow.
Speaker 5: You got to name your cows?
Speaker 2: How many have you got?
Speaker 5: Well, we only get one every two years, okay.
Speaker 2: But that's yours. That you graze it and then you get it home killed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, grazes at my brothers and then we seen it off. When he tells me it's ready, we send it off to.
Speaker 2: The homekel brilliant chrisse you're the real key. We aren't you the real deal? Thank you Stitzel Thursday, Bennie, it's Marcus. Good evening, Killer den Kilder, Denny. Nice to hear from you. Is that short?
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 2: D for Denny b for Okay? Copy okay, copy that because my boy's name is D for Denny, but Denver. But that's your your Benjamin anyway. Greetings, No d we're be ye good. Yeah, got that sort of Stitzel.
Speaker 9: Smile.
Speaker 7: I mean it was. It was German. Now it's kind of Australian. But they don't call it, that's sure. They call it palma. And you know, everybody in Australia loves the chicken parma and I love Snitchell and I've got a really great opportunity to edit here in Wellington at the Ram the Ram Posh parb On Cubistry and they do a fantastic chicken parma. And you've also got the Argentinian angle which comes with ham and cheese on top of it. And old people want it because I think I.
Speaker 2: Think there's a big eusie paint if it's called parma or parme. But we know what they're talking about. But Parma has chick chicken stitzel with cheese and ham, isn't.
Speaker 7: It that's right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree because because we're with extra.
Speaker 7: On top, it's just like it's been pimmed out for you already, So why would you not order that?
Speaker 2: What's the what's the pub called.
Speaker 7: The ram?
Speaker 12: Okay?
Speaker 2: I got to look it up? Sells it? Any money come from the Kim Marcus welcome.
Speaker 10: Comments about the smittel. I can never pre crumbed. It's always disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it doesn't it doesn't stick to it the pre crumb stuff, so well, does it terrible?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 10: My boy's favorite dish. But it was fine when they were younger, but I could never make it. And then as they got to teenagers, they would always fight over the last bit, so I had to give it up. I had to give it away.
Speaker 2: So was the last bit particularly crispy bit or? They had an insatiable demand for it?
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, yeah, and even every time.
Speaker 10: I double the recipe and still it would need to be enough and there'd be a fight.
Speaker 2: So they loved it so much you gave up making it. Well that's parenting, isn't it. Come path of least resistant. That's amazing. Okay, yeah was that? Was that a vial one she dropped off on? It's a shame, would it be veal? I think? I think to make it yourself, you probably beat an egg, do you, and then dip it in the egg and then put that in the crumbs. Will that be right? But the palm is quite different. But all these people are so obsessed with chicken wings and chicken like popeyes and stuff. I reckon what they want is chicken Schnitzel. This is the future. What's the space? I reckon before long they'll be just totally Schnitzel restaurants opening up soon, mark my words. And Schnitzel food caravans shaped like what would you shape a Stitzel food caravan like? Anyway? A twenty four past eight carry It's Marcus welcome, Hi, Kerry, Hi, It's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 14: Hi.
Speaker 7: I'm not SATD in Canterbury and any Pavel restaurant you can order it.
Speaker 15: Very common down here.
Speaker 2: Extremely common, yep. Mainly veal or mainly chicken or mainly beef.
Speaker 16: Mainly chicken.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, we'll check them in you is Kerrie? Thanks for that, Jeff Marcus welcome.
Speaker 3: You're there, Jeff, Yeah, sorry about that?
Speaker 2: What you sorry about? What is you sorry about? Jeff not talking?
Speaker 17: No, that's all right. Yeah, I actually love snitchell I. Chicken snitchell I go to pack and save. It's a lot cheaper than a lot of meats, but it's very enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yes, you haven't got the bones either, have you.
Speaker 17: Yeah, Well you can do so many things. What I do sometimes is I might I make my own sojourn onion stuffing, and I'll roll the snitcher up and put it in the pan or put it in the oven, and it's it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It becomes like a yeah, okay, it becomes like something else I'm thinking of that I can't name. So it's like a roll with the stuffing in the middle.
Speaker 17: Yeah. Well, you used to be able to buy those beef things with the They were beef with stuffing in the middle.
Speaker 2: What were they called beef beef beef french wood?
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 17: I've forgotten now, but they don't sell them anymore, and I really missed them. And then I got on to snitchell So I've eaten chicken snitchell I. Went to a rootaurant the other night and they had snitchell on the menu and.
Speaker 2: Chicken schnitzel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 17: Totally enjoyed it because it was the snitchell of a beautiful hamstake.
Speaker 2: And hang on, hang on, breaking news, Jeff. It's called a beef beef olive when it's rolled up like that. Beef olives.
Speaker 17: Oh, beef olives, that right?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I love them.
Speaker 2: Not beautiful, but I can make my own now, of course you can. Now what was this rest what was this restaurant?
Speaker 3: Jeff?
Speaker 9: What's that?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 2: What was this restaurant?
Speaker 7: Beautiful?
Speaker 6: Was it called?
Speaker 17: What's that? The restaurant?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You had to stitch all this this week? You had a beautiful stitch, So you're gonna tell us what it was called the restaurant?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Oh, it was actually at the Cuttleton's Club on se Pockey.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. I thought you'd be a chrust person. What's the Citizens Club?
Speaker 17: Yeah, or Cuttleton's Club. They are combined and they have but they do have switch all there.
Speaker 2: You wonder why they stopped making the beef olive today because it seems like a crowd recognition with a beef olive. Marcus, my neighbor, has a stitchelvon crumb dog, but looks more like a sausage Marcus. In the early two thousands there was a place in Melbourne I heard about called Schmidtz and Tits. Food was fantastic. Just google it's still there. Better look at a trip. I don't quite know what the angle is for that, but we're all googling it frantically, aren't we. Schmidts and Tits not a topless bar. There you go, topless bar that does schnitzel. Goodness, mouth watering schnitzel. Wow, cheaper is like a show too, a burlesque performance. Goodness. Well there you, Paul, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 18: The proper way to make venus snitchell is get a bowl, put some put an egg in there, put some milk in there, whip whip it up, and then on on a plate. You have twol free plates. You put flour on the plates, put the venus snitchell on the flour, dip dip the the the dip it into the egg white and then use bread crumbs to to do it. Or you can you can freeze old bread and then ground ground you know. Put the bread and put the bread in a blender and use that use that is that as well, uh, which is easy, and you can't use as other crumbs as well, which is nice.
Speaker 2: I think people now, I think people now. I think people now are crazy for panko, which is the which is the Japanese all to get an out, let's say panco, panco, Yeah years ago, seen say quite often.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, but it is very easy. And when you're cooking it, you bought oil and butter in it. If you only have oil in there, it will stick. You have to put some oil, you know, like Canada oil, and you had to put butter in with it as well.
Speaker 2: Now that makes it pricey too, with it twelve dollars twelve dollars a pound, Paul, thank you, that's a good call. All about the Schnitzel oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty and nineteen nine, they say it is the Australian national dish, but the Schwitzed invasion has been quite recent but quite thorough, and they seem to be a big in Australian A snitty a snitty sango as well, which is a stitchal sandwich which does sound a lit just doesn't it. I mean, I think they've taken it to the next level. Seems to kind of be around some of the pubs here now. But yeah, I think the greater and the greater golden Schnitzel days are still to come. Because you've got to realize too that given the chance in Australia they will put anything between two slices of bread and against your food truck. You want to do a Schitzel sandwich, food truck your license to print money. But particularly chicken stitzel the Australian seemed to be whereas I thought, most of Stitzel's I've seen locally stitzels have been beef or veal. I realized veal as a form of beef too, So just stop the spell checkers on that one. Are nineteen twenty nine, twenty nine to nine. Some lines, they're free. David Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 19: Hi Mark, David. Some people have covered my points, but I think if you're going to be a connoisseurer, you've got to decide whether you're going to have playing bread crumbs, wholemeal bread crumbs, or pain coat. That's very important. But the delight is of course doing the fold over with the ham and the cheese, in Wellington. They used to do really good ones at a little restaurant called Leparuzzi enn in Manor Street on Gone I suspect, and then around in Francis Street for those who might remember. I have a son in Sydney and we go to Victoria Street and Darling first. That is a shop for a restaurant that does just almost solely snitchell and you get this huge, big lump of meat with huge amount of chips and something called a salad. It certainly takes off over there, you're right, And the pubs do it and the RSLs do it, and it's very tasty. My two boys love it. But of course it's really full of oil or butter, as your former court colleague or caller said. So yeah, it's a good feed, it really is, and we'll feels a bit expensive, but beef it's pretty good. Chicken's a bit dry, each to their own dough. I think we should go back to more basic dining out instead of the so called fine dining and have pecent scoff.
Speaker 2: What about you would the Palmer David specifically with the ham and cheese that's exclusively chicken or mainly chicken, or can be everything.
Speaker 19: Well, my hears is just with fel but I don't even had once otherwise it's beef. I actually wouldn't bother with chicken. But I believe you can't get it. Some people TI, you've.
Speaker 2: Short circuled yourself, have you? But just the last word I heard was some people that I heard pocket.
Speaker 19: Yeah, pocket it, but folding over it's a bit easier. And then you just pitched the ends a good egg and milk and a bit of Really, you can't beat it for a good feed.
Speaker 2: Your kid's coming back.
Speaker 19: No, No, he's ensconced. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Is he managed to buy a house? Yeah?
Speaker 20: He did with the baker Mama, Dad, brilliant.
Speaker 2: That's what you want. I think Palmer in Australia is exclusively chicken. By the way, palma can refer to several things. Are sitting literally a tap of small shield or a dish of chicken dopped topped with cheese and tomato sauce. Didn't know it was a shield? Did you a small shield? I've got a million texts I skeatter, embark on them. Actually talk about Stitzel Tonight, Marcus the chicken stitch low makers never dry reefed in pub does a Stitzel the size of your face so good? Sorry got cut off and now I'm home to do Schlitzill. Probably need to flower egg and then panco crumb it for the best results. Marcus Cheff of twenty two years Here good way to stop the bread crubs falling office to crumb the stit till they put it in the fridge from now or so. The crumbs will hydrate and stick better in cooking. Also, a palma or parney has cheese, ham and tomato bisata. Someone says it's called spanka if you're having in the Nudi club. Thank you for that, Marcus. You can buy beef swells made with Stitzel stuffing and pastry looks like a pin wheel from pack and save a new world. Trish Say's evening, Marcus. My neighbor made beef jerky, very tasty, Trish, Marcus is trouble when you buy stits at Super Marcs, they can it thick to make more money. Real stitchell should be five meals or less. You need to find a good butcher to get the real stuff. I recommend Reubens in Newlynn. Do you marry it to the stitchel restaurant Cohi Matame with stitze all the size of your head. Bee follows Grayland butcher makes them Marcus. To make beef stitchill yourself, you need to have three bowls line up for the dipping flour, egg crumbs. Then you fry it a decent amount of oil. Then you want to serve it with wedges of lemon off the tree and mashed potato and some veg dinner of champions Marcus i flower mine. Then dunk and beaten eggs and crumb with fine bread crumbs with the heaps of powdered parmesan which turns it golden. Frying plenty of oil, always beef delicious cold the next day, and a sandwich using white sandwich bread. Am Australian with an Auckland Dormich German restaurant Coha Matument is great snitty best in New Zealand. Overhangs both sides of the plate, which is essential for a decent schnitty and Australia judge any club by its schnitty or its palme. Marcus Odi Bee stitch a rolled up filled with baby spinach, girkin and cheese with a bit of sun dried tomato quick brown and a cast iron pan and hung in a hot oven, banging a hot oven for a few minutes. Marcus, I'm a deer hunter. I cut the best venison Stitzel ever. Can't beat it. Great show gore rsa schnitty chips, yummy, Marcus, Schwitzel could be any finish slice to meet, crumbed or not have it at the covid and Pub, North Canterbury were the chip, chips and a ton of gravy. I don't think gravy would go with Schitzel. Chicken, palm and mate wear from the Gold Coast, Queensland, served with chips, tomato type topping aside soil. It can't go wrong. Marcus my son recently made his venison Stitzel from a lovely hinded shot a week earlier. Absolutely delicious. Oh it looks like Trump's about to five people that leaked at this truck, that the things weren't successful to see any in the New York Times. That's all breaking will bring that to you. Twenty away from nine wrecking trumpet like a bit of Stitzel, do you reckon?
Speaker 21: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to nine. Text Hittle twelve oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's all about Stitzel. Schitzel comes from Jermany late seventies. Was a factory in Titahi Bay that made Stitzel for restaurants in Wellington. They did not survive in They closed in the nearly eighties. They use veal and pork fulmer.
Speaker 17: Oh yes.
Speaker 2: Because there was a big German community in Titahi they came in to build the houses. I think Titahi Bay. Good evening, Jackets Marcus, welcome Mark Jackson.
Speaker 13: Soon to your show today.
Speaker 15: Who's you talking about?
Speaker 3: That's all?
Speaker 15: And I was literally just less New World after buying some you I haven't had it in probably over a year after hearing it on your show. For them, I had to have it.
Speaker 2: Wow and tell me when you went into the New World and you found it quite easily.
Speaker 10: Ah.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So they had the that's aught that was uncrumped and they had hawk crumbed. That's also herban garlic cause what they had crumbed it with. And I've got three pieces of that and that came to pick up ten dollars.
Speaker 2: Well seems reasonable. So you got it crumbed.
Speaker 15: Got a crumbed for herban garlic sevening. So I'll be off home from about two hours to.
Speaker 3: Go cock it.
Speaker 2: Jeez a lot you were. It's a long time away till you get home.
Speaker 13: Jack.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well I do the uber Ey's delivery that night and now sort of the busy period till about ten thirty. So you're not coming on from that.
Speaker 2: You're not coming across any Stitze restaurants and your uberyque deliveries, are you?
Speaker 15: I can safely say I've never seen one at Wellington, but I might not have been looking.
Speaker 2: No, but people keep saying that Stitzels all around, But I reckon, we're not at Peach st it Sol. We're not even close. It's hardly over there. I mean in Australia it is everywhere. It's the national dish.
Speaker 6: Yeah it is.
Speaker 15: When I was in Australia, it's basically in every pump Yet's go to. Yeah, and here I've never and even the butchers they're not into it.
Speaker 2: Out of interest, Jack. At your New World, did they have chicken Stitzel in the packages?
Speaker 22: No, just pork and beef.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, we're going to change that, Jack. Thank you eighteen to nine, Marcus, Vanessa here not you'll Vanessa, very important to put your crumb schitz on the fridge before frying that. The other text guys said, everything stays on, so yummy, feel like some Now there's going to be a run on Stitzel tomorrow because it's Schtitzel Thursday. Stitzel Thursday. So many texts about schnitzel, too many, Although here's a text that's combined two topics. Hi, the wood burned tavern, the Woody and Renwick Marlborough serves a great stitzel with gravy, and there would be a great place for the people who have to evacuate from Spring Creek to go. That's right, go and stay with free WANs or relatives, not the enemies. I'll go to the Woody. It's all about Schnitzel. Seventeen to nine, Marcus. My dinner tonight was crammed a tara quihi Phillips and future. I should call it fish stitchell or fittional. I'd call it. You'd put mental it, James. It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 12: Oh good evening, Marcus. Just on your snitzel situation. Actually, the Snitzel that I come from Ozzi turn It is full of snitzels, and it's a popular dish, but never used to be just used to be called a venus snitzel, which comes from Germany. So the Germans brought it across from the best to live in daylights cheap piece and put some crumbs on it, and then it ne some tender. However, the Italians came over and they thought they were tied it up a little bit, and they put a palmignanas on top, and it was called Snitzel palmigiana. And the reason I know this because I'm a chef and I've puked probably ten thousand of them. So you get your venus nts through your crom it. They put your palmeig yana sauce on, which is people say is like a tomato sauce, but it's more like a salsa consistency without the chili. And you put a bit of eggplant in there, puit of onion put it on. It's always mozzarella cheese, so you put the mozzarella on top. They pal it's palmes and cheese generally, but mozzarella is you have more fun with that, and so then you did the same with the chicken. So they told the chicken Parma yana. However, I've been here now for a few years and now very very seldom see your chicken or a meat snitzel.
Speaker 2: You never see it. Yeah, it's weird because the palmi or the palmer is they called it. I mean, it's subsission in Australia, isn't it.
Speaker 13: They love it.
Speaker 12: Oh, it's crazy. When I was chafing in Melbourne, you would for lunch over there. You probably did two hundred and fifty three hundred lunches and about an hour and a half. You can guarantee about fifty percent. But the pamela, and that's all.
Speaker 2: Done in a fry pan, iron skillet with the oil. Is it that they do those in?
Speaker 12: Oh, they do a bit of chatting when it's that busy. The deep fried I wonder if I wonder.
Speaker 2: If they deep fried them? So they do they do that?
Speaker 12: Do they on soap and put it in the salamander? Yeah, okay, that burns that off pretty fixing up with a bit of paprika and sobs and they make a nice and red sprinkle at the pasty chuck it under.
Speaker 2: Sable beautiful nice to hear, James, what a complete call that was in and out with such quality of information. Didn't close about it. How many meals were just in brilliant textbook evening.
Speaker 23: Calvin, very good eating to your Marcus. The crumb Venus Fitzel. I used to have that just about every Friday night the main street of Hamilton, downstairs Swiss Chalet it was called. It was next to the old Wage of Times building, across the road from the commercial hotel, so the Swiss Chalet, and it was crumb Venus Sitzel with a slice of lemon served on a plate of steamed rice underneath it, and a pot of beautiful, absolutely delicious, couldn't go wrong.
Speaker 2: The rice was a surprise to hear.
Speaker 23: I thought, that's why I mentioned it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was surprised by that. I'm thinking a meshed potato or I'm thinking on a bead. So sure he's not going to say rice out your Carmen. Rice couldn't believe that.
Speaker 23: Well, My mother used to babysit for the kids of the woman was New Zealander and her husband was Swiss, and they had that's what it was called. The Swiss la So it was all delicious food there, and the seating arrangements was a lot more it pecked, and so quite often when you were sitting down on a seat as it were, or a bench seat, you're rubbing shoulders with a person.
Speaker 2: Next door to you, and they'd be reporters from the white kind of times out of the time I mentioned, Would.
Speaker 13: That be right?
Speaker 23: Probably? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: The was the interior like logs, Well, it was sort.
Speaker 23: Of colored with some Swiss Swiss coloring and photos and things like that. It wasn't done out on logs, no.
Speaker 2: And how long did they last for? Until the great years and years?
Speaker 23: Years and years and years? Yes, but to the eighties oh yeah yeah. Now, ordinary butcher shops sell their Venus Snitchell, but they just sell it to send raw slice, don't they. Yeah, you got to do all the addings on yourself.
Speaker 2: Well that's three dishes just for the toppings. Who wants three dishes? No one? Have you got? Have you had it lately in Hamilton?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 2: Calvin?
Speaker 23: No, But I'm going to go on the search about for yeah, yeah, me.
Speaker 2: To google trip advice. I'll do. I'll google beish. That's all Hamilton and he had to announced it. Are you no, I'm doing it now? Do you want it on the do you want on the bus route?
Speaker 23: Yes, it'll be right, or I've got my motor car.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Schnitzel and Hamilton trip advisor I reckon Joe's garage is very good with it. That's come up number one. That's number one. Then the Roman Giant.
Speaker 23: I haven't heard of those. Oh the Raymond Giant that's in Clawdlon's.
Speaker 20: Yet any good?
Speaker 24: Well?
Speaker 7: I think yeah.
Speaker 23: I mean I've been there for a couple that's across the road from Clawdland's Events Center where have been lots of netball games. That Roman Giant. You know what the giant was original was an elephant, they said. The big circuses there and called in showgrounds and even the elephant got separated and went on. I didn't go on the rampage, but I went to walk about and died.
Speaker 25: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 23: They just caught it again.
Speaker 2: Do you I'd suggested Joe's garret drugs and getting good feedback there around the country. They apparently do good. Schnitzel. I think it's called the Auto Barn, which is slightly stereotypical, but anyway, nice to talk Calvin eight to nine. Apparently the Waywood Pigeon has a twenty dollars stitz on a Tuesday in Hamilton. But what's with Hamilton and the terrible names for restaurants. The Waywood Pigeon, I'll give you a way Wood Pigeon looks like one of those sort of new suburb, kind of invented kind of bar with atmosphere. It looks all right. The food the Waywood Pigeon, they're gonna quiz night. Oh, looks like your classic pub. Actually I'm on their Facebook page. The pub menu. You've been waiting for doing shanks for Mother's Day? Who doesn't want a shank on Mother's Day? I don't know if that would be if Calvin can get there on a bus. The Waywood Pigeon, I think even we're having Stitzel tomorrow?
Speaker 7: What day?
Speaker 2: Maybe one day we have a national schnitz all day? Looks all right. The Waywood Pigeon, So I do a bit of everything, got quite a good social media presence and they show the UFC. Oh that's a good or a bad thing? Just a strange name. How are you going? People? Keep the text coming slits on Thursday. That's what we are talking about tonight. The race Course Hotel in christ Church does a great beef schnitty. Marcus Schlitz leave a beef chicken or Porky's flour eggredcrup with playing crumbs or panco mixed with either Missus higgins lemon pepper, Southern chicken or garlic Italian herb coatings to die for. Haven't seen weener schnitzer in years. I think probably we owe the Austrians and apology. I think it's probably Austrian rather than German. I think with the Austrians that are in Titahi bey too. No, I'm thinking about it. Marcus agree with what everyone said about the dipping of the shitzer when coating many moons ago I used to mix a packet of maggi onion soup with sesame seeds and bread crumbs. Schnitzel equals shitzel thin chery meat garbage. Someone's triggered it's all about the schnitzel. On an email, I'd like to give a butchery a plug on here Thompson's Butchery, Harry Harry, West Coast buy online Stitzel on there, ask for thinner if that's your thing. They've really good to helping the customer. The quality is absolutely best of the best, award winning sausages and bacon. I order online and get it the following day they post it. Thanks to that Marcus Fel. How far away are you from?
Speaker 14: There?
Speaker 2: Are you on the coast or they said everywhere? I wouldn't imagine the couriers would be too prolific on the coast. Give me a hot yeah, kid, text me about that val because I'm kind of interested that. I've never heard of a butcher and Harry Harry. It's a tiny place, tiny place, grinnings Eda midnight tonight. How are you going? You talk about anything you like tonight? As long as about Stitzel. Oh eaighte hundred eighty tatty and nine two nine tow to text. Whatever you got, We're here for it, people. It's all about Stitzel and why we're not that into it in this country. Ossie's chicken Palma Stitzel. That's what you want to talk about? Oh wait, one hundred eighty tanty and nine two nine tow to text. It's all about Schnitzel. So you got more that I want to hear about. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text. So let's be hearing from you Stitchel, Stitchell anyway, get in touchy on talk het L twelve. So what we are talking about tonight? Schnitzel had away? Would pigeon fly through my window?
Speaker 10: Once?
Speaker 2: Never stitzeled myself in a shower of glass that pigeons surfed across the floor and flew out the door. Another silly restaurant named the Fat Duk p h a T. Do you know whether the orca was found? The orca was found in christ Church Hall's will butchery. Christ Church is beautiful uncolored schnitzel and also coated as well. Thanks k. My dad loves schnitzel. My mother would cook it for it with a pineapple on top. It would have been hard for the balance that if she's balancing her pineapple on top of her head if she cooked it, Oh that was on top of the sticks.
Speaker 9: I get it.
Speaker 2: Eight past nine Steve Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 14: Yes, Nitzel is Yes, it's an easy one to cook and one to get wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get it wrong. The pan's wrong. It can stick and do all sorts of things. You have a wilder herd there.
Speaker 14: I have a cast iron skillet. Put it on the electric stove. I get it hot first, a little bit of oil, not much, Just do we when it's you've just put your hand near it. You can feel the heat. It's it's it. Maybe it takes about five minutes to get to skill it to absorb that heat. Not just turn it off and put the snitzel on it and just heat it and just cook it in the stored heat. Four minutes.
Speaker 9: That's all, is it?
Speaker 10: Veal?
Speaker 14: Do it longer you'll end up with shoelaither.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point. What meats you're doing, Steve?
Speaker 14: What meat am I doing? Now?
Speaker 2: No, when you do your stitzel, I just get it down the local.
Speaker 14: Butchet down your beef.
Speaker 2: It's beef, not veal.
Speaker 14: Okay, yes, hey, yeah, I never tried. I got some veal sausages the other day. I didn't particularly like them, better than whether they'd just done too much with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funny, i'll taste feel not my taste, No.
Speaker 14: But yeah I did them in my ear fryer.
Speaker 2: Goodness, did you get talked into them? We just thought that's a bit different.
Speaker 14: No, I will ask you one them in a raffle.
Speaker 2: Goodness, a meat raffle, meat raffle. Yeah, at the pub.
Speaker 14: Workman's club.
Speaker 2: How makes a ticket?
Speaker 14: Oh, three dollars?
Speaker 2: And what do you get the sausages and what else?
Speaker 14: I got sausages, I got schnitzel, and I got a piece of steaks.
Speaker 2: Well, well that's funny. You've won Stitzell this week and we're talking about stitzel.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but they say you don't. It doesn't need much cooking.
Speaker 2: It just forman or minutes, pan off the heape, tiny bit of oil, pin.
Speaker 14: Off of heat, and yeah, otherwise you'll just end up with shoe leather. Somebody said something the other day about cooking up for half an hour.
Speaker 2: Have you tried it the air fryer.
Speaker 14: Yes, it's too severe. You you got to really get it down to about one hundred the too too much heat you did if you did it two hundred fry I see the thing with the air fry too. You've got to get it hot to start with, ye you know, set it on about one hundred and sixty and give it about five minutes so that you've got the dawed heat, and then put and then put it in it, say about about one hundred year the same sort of thing about four minutes.
Speaker 25: That's all it needs.
Speaker 2: Are you a wedge of lemon, guy, Steve, lemon?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: On your's a wedge of lemon? Oh no, put.
Speaker 14: Pineapple on it either?
Speaker 13: No, really boiler flavor? Well, but a kiwi fruit maybe?
Speaker 2: What about a bit of fie joa.
Speaker 14: Feature? Yeah, I suppose you could try that.
Speaker 2: It works with meats, It works with most meats.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we kievy fruit's okay too.
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know about key with fruit. I think often key with fruit gets bar on its looks. Yeah, people love chop chopping and chucking a pair of or chucking it in an American food you see when they users agardless, they said, but it never tastes that good. No brilliant, okay, Steve. Nice to hear from you. Think you Schnitzel for another hour. I've changed to coast brilliant. But they're playing songs about Schnitzel Stitzell for another hour. Goodness. Oh wait, one hundred and eighty today we were seeing Schitzel for the whole rest of the show. That's what you're going to be like jeepers, Oh eight hundred and eighty when sell what we like about them now because a lot listening. It's a perse that likes the flag. Get in touched Marcus till twelve, eight hundred and eighty, tatty and nineteen nine to to text until about Schnitzel at Schnitzel Thursday, Schnitzel Stitchel, snitchel. My aunt married the Italian his mother taught, who told me dishes to cook for schnitzel. You had teas of oil olive oil to the egg and whip it with a fork. Our tea spoone must be helps the egg to stick. Flour egg and bread crumb. The meat must be very tender, use tender eyes to beat meat thin. The best cheerz seu. I love Venish stitzel. It was my birthday, did a preference during childhood. I was so proud when my husband crumbed and cooked me schnitzel last week. Wonder if the name has led to it becoming popera. It's a sort of quirkiness to it. Fun to say, I agree, gene no standing room, drunk all get through, you won't get through. I should ring up the host on coast and they can say something to freak them. Who does coast at nights? Now their live was a pre recorded It would be great if we come up with a schnitzel song for them to play. Anyway, Poor Paul, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 27: Okay, there you're going good.
Speaker 2: Thank you Paul.
Speaker 27: That's good Snitzel Thursday lover, Now chicken Snitzel. Our boys have all left up. Have got three boys in their twenties, and their mum loves them to come home. And if she makes chicken and snitzel, all three boys will come home. And matter what the circumstance.
Speaker 2: That's funny, isn't it. That's kids for you.
Speaker 9: Wow, it's brilliant.
Speaker 27: It's brilliod. So chicken snitzel usually broccoli because mum used to make broccoli when there were kids, and tomato sauce.
Speaker 2: So the text goes out chicken stitz and they're all honing in as your talk.
Speaker 13: Is that right?
Speaker 2: How far are they coming?
Speaker 27: By the way, So we live in Bayswater and Auckland. They'll come from Howick Gillies Avenue.
Speaker 2: Wow, And well the Gillies and the Grafton's all right, But the third one is a long way in Auckland traffic. That's hard, I know, but.
Speaker 27: It's hard to be honestly. You can just it's it's a cheap meal if you because of course you have to flatten it out. Yes, so you can get through. You can get quite a cheap meal. But volume us.
Speaker 2: I've never done. Does your wife make cut the stitz herself? Because it must be quite hard to do that from a chicken.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 27: What she does is she gets chicken breasts and slices them yep, long ways and then pounds them flat and goes from here.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. What a great parenting thing. So no matter what, the family always comes together for that.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 27: Yeah, recommendation to listeners.
Speaker 2: I think you might be a super cooler, Paul, brilliant. How's that seems a good price at the Aussie pubs for schlitz? I guess it's a lost leader, eh, Steve Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Marcus. I've got a sworn I heard you say no linees free. You must have hit the subject sweet spot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, happens once in a while, you know, yeah, well you know, you know it, you know sits up they light see well, I mean I'm going to Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to completely polarize the group. Who could go past the classic Cobbin Kosnitz.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't remember it so well.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'll tell you. As a kid in the eighties, I always used to, you know, lobby my parents to let me order off the adults menu rather than the kids one, because you know, the bee snits all stuffed with the cheese and the ham and all bittered and crumbed on the outside. I mean it's about, you know, one tenth of the size that it used to be now if you can find yourself a cop and go. But they were amazing. They were a brilliant, living, brilliant meal.
Speaker 2: Which Cobb and co. Are we talking well?
Speaker 3: The Coponca restaurants that used to be all.
Speaker 2: Over the b I think the pub which was which was your local.
Speaker 3: My local was the.
Speaker 28: One in Manikow, which which has long long since gone the way of the Dodo. But I believe you can still get it in Roata Rua, and I think they're still one in Talbo and one and Livin and I've definitely visited the road to Rua one and had that meal not.
Speaker 17: That long ago.
Speaker 2: I'm looking now at the menu they do do something called wicker wings, which I think slightly controversial.
Speaker 3: Realer comes from a wicker Cobb's.
Speaker 2: Original stuff Schnitzel beef schnitzel hand wrapped around ham and mozara cheeves panco, crumbed and fried with fries and salad thirty five dollars.
Speaker 3: The ultimate schnitzel meal.
Speaker 2: And the chips are in a little fry basket with a red and white checkered car kind of serviette rolled in there. And on top of the schtitzel is a wedch of lemon and a bit of watercress, and then there's a salad which is a bit of lettuce, then grated carrot and beetroot, and then sprouts, and then three slices of cucumber.
Speaker 3: Best radio description of an image I've heard all night. Thank you brilliant.
Speaker 2: That's not ai e. Second, Steve too, Firs. Steve Marcus, welcome, Thank you Marcus.
Speaker 25: He's Steve here.
Speaker 23: Yes.
Speaker 25: I started my butchery in nineteen fifty five with my father, and the only thing we had early days is someone mentioned to you before, was the bee follows. That's all we did in those times. But we used to use, as we called it in those days, the thick flank, but all the modern ones now call them the beef knuckle, and we just put it over the slicer and slice it all. But in the butcher shop we had a powder and we mixed it with water and made a nice, reasonable slurry and then put it in the butcher's crumbs. But people were saying the crumbs stick to the pan. Well, there won't stick to the pan if you treat it correctly, and that's put a reasonable amount of oil in your pan and have it warmish to medium heat. Put your meat in the pan and give it a wriggle. Turn it over. Then when it's sides done, and give it a wriggle. The crumbs will never come off.
Speaker 2: Okay. So when you say you used a slice, is it a bit like a slice of the carve to slice like a meat slice?
Speaker 17: Is that what it is?
Speaker 25: A meat slice? Yeah, okay, people call them bacon slices.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So on one of those it would be the knuckle.
Speaker 25: Yes, that's the one that's the best part of the buttock of the beef. It We used to use veal back in the sixties, but it got more expensive because the farmers were getting a better price for say two year old animals instead of up to one year old animals. And we used to use the veal then, but we had to change the beef. But nowadays I use when I go shooting a few deer and things, and I use nearly all my caps either in mince and snitzel, but I use cornflour on my meat and then because it's got a better stickability, and then in the egg, and then in the pancoke crumbs, Bengo.
Speaker 2: And venison. Stitch I gather is very good, excellent, love it. It's funny you save beef knuckle because as soon as you see the knuckle on the thingking of her hand. But actually it's the buttock, isn't It's the hind gord.
Speaker 25: But in Australia, I think they used to call it top rump. There's three big main cuts on the back leg. That's the top side, the silver side which got corn. But I see the silver sides cut up for snitzls in the supermarket and I think that's the wrong cut to use. It's the knuckle is a softer piece of meat.
Speaker 2: You've had a shot of the Canada geese. Yes, could you do the stitzel with them?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 25: I I roasted them. I boned them out and kept all the breasts up and rolled them with stuffing and things, and yeah there was a bit tough. I must have had an old bird or I think so.
Speaker 2: Could you? You could? You could you? There'd be enough meat though Schitzer with a Canada goose, would there?
Speaker 25: Yeah, you could do. I do it with fierce and breast mate. Yeah, slice them thinly. Yes, No, it's good.
Speaker 2: Did you say did you say did you butcher apprenticeship in the fifties.
Speaker 25: Fifty five? We never had a butcher's apprentice in those days com until quite late.
Speaker 2: Are you in your eighties?
Speaker 25: Put a six on it?
Speaker 13: Two?
Speaker 6: Yes, brilliant?
Speaker 2: Okay, good on you. Okay, and you have your heps. Haven't gone with your hunting?
Speaker 25: Yes?
Speaker 3: Have they?
Speaker 25: Yes, I've been duckshooting today.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Nice to hear from you, Steve, Thank you, legend. Looking forward to return to Vienna a couple of months with Sir Vienna. Schnitzel, Sourkrachten mashed potato, Marcus beschnitz ever XXL restaurant Germany, not schitz and tits, Marcus, it's John Beckam. The seventies and eighties, stitz was really popular. Feed in the pub and Wellington. I remember the Clarendon that became Molly Moaned maloned and Dominion where More Wilson is now and the Lion Tavern now the thorned and New World Supermarket served with mushroom sauce and fries, just what you need to top of a few pints. I reckon a Schnitzel sandwich is the future. You start a food truck setting those name your price, check out one of the fairs. Brilliant. That's what all the food trucks were at the old Blue Bets say is at the Pentther's home ground. Anyway, Marcus, my favorite schnitz double crumb with lemon pepper, seizing hot pan, hot oil. My son dreams of cross four crumbed, his absolute dreams. Such a treat in our house, our favorite. Maybe if you're in Patterson had done Stitzel, the old hobby would have turned ou up because he was the missing Lincoln, just the minister and the in laws. Anyway, she's yeah, well goodness. A lot of people say it would be the last, the last meal. If they executed would be the Stitzel Leo, it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 4: Marcus uh and my favor is then to snakes you lads flat, then a piece of bacon across there and the cup of fla and the cheese and then rolled it and put him across. There was a very little bit of gravy and then gook away. For that's three years. It's nice.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's a lot of effort.
Speaker 4: Not much. Well, I can't delive that it's here comes the super markets dards and twenty two twenty three dollars al and run state, which after all, the only Mitchell comes from Tavenge Spring May and that sixteen dollars uh done?
Speaker 2: May not? Okay, Yeah, yeah, I have I have another deep dive into our finance of Stitzel. But I imagine if supermarkets and could process something in charge of premium, they will do that. They're repping this horrible plastic trays and glad rap Marcus U pub and christ Church Opa. This week the mior of Ale had dinner there tonight, ten different Schitzels. Delicious. I reckon this would be hard to beat. Funny old name for a pub, the Mirror of Ale. I think christ chich is going through a peach Stitzel phase. I'm looking at the menu now, public house and gaming chambers. I'll get rid of the poke's cheepers on Ricketon. There you go, Marcus. Good that you bring up your last meal question. I reckon For my last meal, I'd request a schlip sandwich brilliant marks the one only people have gone right off. Mushroom is completely because of the mushroom murder case, all gone off beef Wellington. Oh wait one hundred and eighty ten eight nine nine text Pete Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 22: Anyway, Marcus, Yeah, Sliths was definitely good feed. They thought you just put at the ear, granted a little bit of bread crumbs. It's actually quite a good to cheating meat because rather than a beef fift been of steak, you only got to take so much and so you so your body can digest it. It's actually pretty nice. I see I see it all the time. You have mess budders and mixed figi's and stuff from that, but haven't had it for a little mummies to cook on always on the farm like that. Gentlemen said before, if you can get two year old animals because they had a farm and he used to he could. He couldn't actually grade one for the free and enough land for that. You just get the next door neighbor ones. That are the ones that were empty. So were the next cat at two years old, so they basically were they should have been in calf and they would have been turned into cows. You can milk them, and they were the best. They were always Jersey cows. So that was the That was the so we always had the prime meat on dad's. Dad's freezer was always the best of the meat you could get. And Mum being Dutch, she could actually cook. She could do anything with meat. They're just they're just like butter in your mouth. She could cook anything come to meat. He just she knew how to cook meat. But she knew she knew how to cook the snitchel really well. But yeah, but they've also got cop and coat here and you plum off tooth.
Speaker 2: Really gosh, you got everything there com and coat.
Speaker 22: That ages as here and you plumb I was telling you.
Speaker 25: Here we go.
Speaker 2: You got what.
Speaker 22: Well, we had all the other ones. We got, you know, all the pizza huts. We've got K and C's and McDonald's and subway. We got're quite lucky, and we we pretty much got all the takeaways that you once or here, so we don't go too far to get it. But you have little rest restaurants, so we're pretty lucky. And you plumb a fire as you want food and it goes all these Indian places now and stuff. So we're pretty put a story. You don't go hungry and you plumber.
Speaker 2: Not much is going to make you move, is it.
Speaker 22: Oh that's not a bad little place. We don't get flooded out here. You got the mountain. He's not all bad. You've been here yourself. You don't mind it, do you know?
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking though you would never think of moving.
Speaker 22: Oh I thought they were going up to Hawkland years ago, buddy, Please, I didn't. Now it's just a big Hawkland's turning into a rattle up there now.
Speaker 2: Red Hole. What were you going to go up there for? Pete?
Speaker 22: I think they're buying a house up there and that. But just the way the councils Orkland is a good place, you know for the young ones, and that you didn't have that. Now how they have ruined Auckland City and they got all those more porks just trying to take money out of your wallet. It's not a nice place to be.
Speaker 13: Awkward.
Speaker 2: No more, you've got those what more? What more port? What's that?
Speaker 8: More porks?
Speaker 22: They sit on top of the buildings and seeing you to do something wrong, they'll I'll slip your ticket under there on your window wiper. It's just they're just money hungry place.
Speaker 2: Is this the words you've invented yourself?
Speaker 22: I always call them more, always call them more porks, always, always sitting up in the trees, waiting for you.
Speaker 2: A more pork is someone that just sits to wait to give you a ticket.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I call it like a bird. They're just watching all the time, just waiting for you so they can they say you've been over the over the white line or something. You go on the bus lanes. Auckland was a nice place to be right now.
Speaker 2: Who's who's told you? Who's told you about the more porksses?
Speaker 22: I always refer to councils or did you have a pete?
Speaker 2: Did you have a bad experience in Auckland?
Speaker 22: Oh no, just what it's gone. I know I'm got a sister up there and it's got there all the time. But now I'm not interested now if you go up there and we'll have that ruin the center of Auckland before the bus lanes and all that. So how old they're taking all the parking away? All the businesses are struggling there. The council hit the councilor.
Speaker 2: Says, listen to too much talkback Pete, Auckland, that downtown's thriving.
Speaker 22: Now, no, no, I've ruined it before.
Speaker 2: We get when when were you last there?
Speaker 22: Pete put four years ago?
Speaker 2: Now exactly, you're more pork. Yeah, I feel like it's goes to defend Auckland from Pete's judgment. You're seeing your own bus terminal. Pete's a disaster in your plymouth for the people on myth wandering around abusing people.
Speaker 22: Ah, city's got that now they're trying to they're under control. But it's not really a council. It's more of a social thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well blame Auckland. Then, Marcus, we were texting about the citty at the Mirror of Ale was spot on. Had a chicken shitty there last night was the best pepperclen and whiskey sauce.
Speaker 10: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Ten out of ten, Marcus we might have eat reased in you Plymouth, but we ain't got a kmart and the CBD is dead Marcus. And of course with venice literally related to pair it with an alsaus one or something like a pino gree perfect. We went to the opening of the Miror of Ale lovely pub. Emma sits in a toasted samad'reing a croissant, Marcus, doesn't all you could eat? Buffet comes your last meal, James, Marcus, Peace geld. Try to for sure that Eiron Patterson will go away for a long time. You could find yourself out of trouble as they're still deliberating the final outcome. Oh we're a radio station us that we're not an Australian radio station, so they won't be listening to us. I can promise you that best crumb for schnitzel is crushed corn flakes. Twenty two to ten. Graham, Marcus, welcome, How are good, Graham?
Speaker 20: A question for you regarding the sitzel as well. There used to be in christ Huge two common coats that I can remember, One on the corner of Holy Road and Springfield, and the other one was the Bush and Center, and one a road and Bush and one A and Ricketton Road. They both had good snitzel. But we now have only one common con christ Shut. It's high numbers in Creanford Street right at the northern end of Quienford Street. What does anyone knows who any other common coast that still can do sitzels.
Speaker 2: So you want to know how many are in christ Jets?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 20: Well, if there's any others then two?
Speaker 2: Well there's one hour true is now? Isn't there one?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 9: Okay? Yeah? Sorry?
Speaker 20: One now common Cove you Cuckford Street, that's Pepinui right yeah, Pepper area, Yes, And there used to be another two. There was one in Holly Road and Springfield another one that sorried not holding three for Holly and Caledonian, and you see another one in the.
Speaker 2: It's just the one now. Yeah, it's a bit of a thing. I mean, it's come back, but it just seems to be, you know, it seems to be.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think probably the world's past Cobb and copec By a little bit, hasn't it.
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 28: Probably?
Speaker 20: And the other question, if you can answer me, how many Valentines are restaurants are around Seoul? I know one in first streets again, used to be a lot more. Are they gone as well?
Speaker 10: Do you know? Yeah?
Speaker 21: I can't tell you, okay, only.
Speaker 2: Why rail Road North Auckland, Monaco, Hamilton. That's its Hornby Hornby.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Charmers Street Hornby, that's it.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't get You wouldn't get a stitch at a buffet though, would you?
Speaker 25: No?
Speaker 2: No, why not? Because you can't cock it? Why wouldn't you get one there?
Speaker 20: I don't know, but yeah, I think there's only the one common cone now. Doesn't that there was any other ones in the South Island?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, hang on, I think one of the INCA ones might be a cob and Co one of the Licensing Trust ones with an old train, old model train that goes around the top. Maybe they don't call it a cob and Co anymore.
Speaker 20: One way to go three hundred and sixty five miles for cross.
Speaker 2: Oh, that wasn't your question. You said, are there any other in the South Island?
Speaker 20: You didn't.
Speaker 2: I'll let you go, Graham ask a question, then they try and trap your like's too far? Goodness me? Last year I went to a topless waitress Barren Perth on Tuesday with Snitty's with titties that's some paulsa Cleue. That's a franchise now it's in Melbourne End Perth. Concept seems successful. Hello, Beth, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 10: Hello.
Speaker 29: You were talking about snitzel. Now I've got a recipe for cheap fake snitzel. I like, I like to toast two bits of bread. I like to take an apple and I will slice very thin slices and fry them in the frying pan and then put pastrami and the christy apple perstrami, crispy apple and the top of the toast on oh bes snitzel. Ever, no one ever thought to put apple and pastrami together, but I do, and it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Wow, So we should bread that's toast and then you've got the apple and the pastrami in the middle. Yeah, did you invent when.
Speaker 29: You do layers of it? You do layers of it. And what you do when you fry your apple? You do one thick bitter apple that's your juicy apple, and you do thin, crispy, brilliant and you do layers.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, how long you doing that?
Speaker 14: For years?
Speaker 2: Put it on your bit. Nice to hear, Shawn, Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 16: Look the best literally can get is if you can't get wag you meat, then the best meat you can get then there is a Jersey Hereford cross, probably about eighteen months old, and that is probably the tenderous meat that you'll ever find.
Speaker 2: The wag you do a stitzel.
Speaker 16: Yes, it's just a cup from where the butcher cuts up.
Speaker 20: So if you've got a good butcher, you'll get good steaks.
Speaker 2: But the butchers, most butchers do they stock wag you.
Speaker 16: No, it's a fairly rare commodity now. But there are some farmers. I used to know one up and not quite tire way that he specialized in it, and his meat was was actually prized all over Northland.
Speaker 2: Because is pretty hard to maintain. I mean, it's a pretty tough way to bring up cows, isn't it.
Speaker 13: No, it's a breed.
Speaker 16: As a it's a breed with its own identification, and you can breed them and mistray up there just before you get the quite tire. He had a herd of them.
Speaker 2: But you're going to have special diets, don't you, for them to get that marbling.
Speaker 16: No grass feathers all right?
Speaker 2: I thought they all inside being fed beer and stuff. I thought it was quite specific.
Speaker 16: That's for a Japanese market. But if you like to grow and feed them, yes you will get a totally different meat. But that's cat of status.
Speaker 2: Because you is just WEGU is Japanese cattle, isn't it with the marbling?
Speaker 16: Yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I know that I don't I know that the Japanese do have schnitzel. Is it called tanatsa? Was something I think they've seen that at restaurants. Oh, we'll talk more about that. Also, actually get in touch. Here'll twelve oh eight hundred eighty ten eight nineteen nine text. It's all about Schnitzel, Schnitzel, Schnitzel, Schnitzel. The I thought was very specific. To get that marbling, other they had to be inside and do it all sorts of weird things to it to get the marbling.
Speaker 13: That.
Speaker 2: By the way, there is a New Zealand WEGU Breeders Association which is a member of the World WAGU Council. I like to see their memo on the snitzel ten from ten oh way eighteen hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine to two to text it's all about Stitzel tonight. Anyone cooked vegetarian schnitzel. You're right about that or you're triggered. You're gonna cope if I talk about that. I think there is such a thing. Ozzie Butcher is tama Kee sales wag you. Marcus put it on a Wellington as a common a few years ago on Cobham Court. I've had coach Schnitzel. It's very good. Anyone had Ostra's Stitzel? Where weere Stitzel's? What are we going? Abbit Stitzel? Marcus besch schnitch besh best snitch recipe coated with flour, then egg milk, half a kappa parma jaro and pepper, leave overnight, cook and butter two minutes. Johnny's the best crumbed coning for Schnitzler's dried sage and onion stuffing mix. It's all go and if you want to be a part of it, my name is Marcus. Welcome hddled twelve. Oh wait eighty it's all happening on Coronation straight. Wow. Oh what legs on? I forgot? And Thursday? I forgot it was an early game? Was it just one match tonight? I didn't even read my memoy. I'm stuck on Coronation. I love a bit of eg On in the background. Oh with the slow remote fifty two. I gotta have the channel right because otherwise it just jumps ahead. I've gone too high. I'm going to get back. Oh, Panthers and Bulldog? Is it pen with Canterbury?
Speaker 27: Is it?
Speaker 2: Can we built?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, what top the table versus eighth visit? I got right? I was raining here, got rain fade flip Martin, it's Marcus, welcome. Can you bring it up on the other storks?
Speaker 11: Hi, Marcus, it's Martin.
Speaker 2: To Hi Martin. I like the sound of you already. I like the way you're coming in quite enthusiastic.
Speaker 11: Oh yes, yes, Well, I just had a small snitzel thing to talk about. I haven't really had much traditional snitzel.
Speaker 30: But I don't know if other people do this, but my.
Speaker 11: Mother makes the snitzel where there's no bread crumbs or anything like that. She like uses like milk biscuits as the crumb, and you got to like fry it in a really low temperature, otherwise you've burned the biscuit. But it's phenomenal. It's like sweet and savory snitzel.
Speaker 2: And where she from? If that's not a two specific questions, will you Martin?
Speaker 11: No, no, no, My mother is a Shanghaaneese from China.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the milk biscuit, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 11: Oh you know the Arnot's milk biscuits.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like a milk, like a milk like a milk errarow root or something. Yeah, I do know exactly, Like yeah, okay, yeah, so she'll she'll bang those with a with a rolling pin and she'll dip. Is it pork or is it beef? Or is it chicken?
Speaker 11: She does it with pork and chicken.
Speaker 2: Did she invent it or is that some traditional dish?
Speaker 11: I have never seen it outside of my home, and I just I think it's genius and I cook it myself sometimes these days it's very difficult because you burned the biscuit very very easily. If you don't get it get the oil right, what are you cooking it in? Just like you know, a canola oil?
Speaker 27: Whatever I got on hand?
Speaker 2: Okay, And I don't want to focus in on your mother, but does she have a special name. It hasn't got like a special name. It's like she doesn't say something that would mean that it's actually a thing. It's just something she calls it. Here she got a name that she calls it.
Speaker 11: No, she just I think I think her deal was was making it for me, was that I really liked those biscuits when I was young, and and she just like I loved them, and then she was just like, oh, well, because she also makes like traditional I guess, like the the Japanese Cartsoo chicken, which is like you use Britain Japanese bread crumbs, and then she just sobbed in the biscuits and and then it just worked.
Speaker 2: And the sweetness is not off putting.
Speaker 11: No, it's it's like that it's like perfect sweet and savory blend because like the way the biscuits get I guess the biscuit crumb gets cooked, it just makes it like roasty, I guess, kind of toasty and roasty.
Speaker 2: Okay, And does she put lemon on it?
Speaker 11: Uh no, no, No, it's just you just eat it as is.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 2: It sounds delicious, Okay. Appreciate that, Martin, tek you very much. That's a good call, extremely good cool. When I thought milk biscuits I thought, for what was those biscuits like out of milk powders that would taste weird. Hey, this is CHITZI thursd. I apologize for those people that are schnitzeler phobes, but you don't need to test. But text me and say you're going elsewhere. You people, just listen for as long as you want. Right, No, no one's forcing you to listen. But if you've got to tune now, you don't need to tell me that seems to be slightly immature and slightly weird. Right, that's just my suggestion to you. There is no screw in the league, the Bulldogs versus the Panthers, but it's not raining and that's a surprise. Be a good game. This actually, factually I think it's first versus eight. So I'll just check the n r L log for your people, but get in touch. It's all about Schnitzel. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine two nine to text. I'm on the ladder. I'm on the letder. Bulldogs are first, Panthers are eighth. There we go be a close game. No won't, yes it will, No, it won't, yes it will. Panthers are the tear. The ten points to the Bulldogs would be my prediction. They'll have given everything last weekend to take down the Warriors and traveled a lot. Hey, it's all about Stitzel variations, different restaurants, the Aussies the faith because they seem to be mad about chicken stitzel, which we don't seem to do so much here. A part from that family in Beach Haven is that where they were, everyone comes for miles around anyway. So that's what we are talking about tonight. If if you've wanted a talkback show to just be about schnitzel, well it's your lucky stars. Tonight's to night people, because that's what we are talking about tonight. The Aussie seemed to love it. Marcus, can you please put the Stitzel arrowroot milk biscuit instructed on your Facebook page? Only caught the end, we'll hopefully shure. Do you think she just had the hell out of the packet of biscuits with a rolling pin then covered them in the cover the Stitzeland the arrow root biscuits, that's my take. You might know something else about that done that you go wrong? What about that Swiss restaurant in Hamilton that Calvin Ranger I said they sue the sits on a bed of rice. Are surprised by that, but yes they certainly, because the Ossie stitchell is everywhere. It's like their national dish, or palmi or palmer as they call it. Mainly a chicken one hair not so much, but give it a year or two, I reckon it's going to take over. That's my prediction. That's my ten yearly prediction. Seems to be the food for now. So if you want to comment on that, that's what we're about. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Do you think wallaby stitzel could be a thing. I think it certainly would be. Any meat is good because you bet you bag it long enough and then you can actually get it soft and tender. I'm vegan. I make a tofah stitchel. There's the same textures chicken schnitzel, and flavor it up how you want it. It's perfect. Oil can Arroon good on your oil can arn. He'll be a guy that clicks oil cans. It's a great talkback named oil can Arron. A slitzele sandwiches perfect. The next day either on fresh or white bread, or on thinly sliced vogels with leftover colsal a little bit of mayonnaise. My mother used crushed corn flakes as a coating, nice and crunchy. The green parrot did a fantastic schnitzel. Is it closed or changed? Donus not quite sure what the status is there. I buy Wag You at Karma or four square farg Ard at Telebee's and vacuum packed like all their meat. Their meat is nice and tender. Most four square shops up this way have hellibies that can keep meet. Now Thanks Sharon Graham Norton's red cherry heading down under. Who's dumb enough to sitt in his red cheer poky cake breasts use a steak tender eyes, a lovely schnitzel. Americans called crumb schnitzel chicken fried steak. Laurie, it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm Marcus. Yeah, I think old crumpy he be rejoicing and being called daddy. Did you did you pick up on that the NATO guy I referred to him.
Speaker 2: As yes, I saw something about what happened.
Speaker 6: That was still when they used the F word okay to the others, and I think that the NATO I was one of the chief officers there says Daddy has to talk tough sometimes, you know.
Speaker 2: And then I saw I saw the Queen of the Dutch Queen rolled arise or something that was focused upon as well.
Speaker 6: But yeah, there was a favorite of Rye rolling going on.
Speaker 2: You gotta be keithing because he's vindictive anyway.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, but the patching on the snittle, we prefer it sort of done as a stir fry, Yes, in the rock and then you're throwing all the all the greens and the corn and say sauce and stuff like that, you know, brilliant.
Speaker 2: But that's a different show, the stir fry show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, well just but it's just as convenient, you know that you buy it as Schnitzel. But yeah, it's nicely sliced and the there is still a or the Cobb and color and pre and Palmi. I think we got renamed the Cob and just it's still operating. And I did just have a check online. They did they are still doing the Snitzel as well.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a franchising case to me. If they change the name like that, sounds like you have to pay money to belong to it or something there.
Speaker 6: Actually, on the online review from somebody that just had this, what was was very unflattering what they say. Oh, I think it was the toughest bit of me.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Laur, I gotta leave it. David, thank you, Kennot's Marcus welcome, Yeah, kid.
Speaker 24: Welcome, Hi mate, yep, thank you.
Speaker 9: What enjoins me?
Speaker 24: I only tuned in about half an hour ago, so you may have already covered off on this this, so just cut me off. But when we were kids, and I'm talking.
Speaker 27: The sixties, we used to have our mother used.
Speaker 24: To make what he called weenus.
Speaker 27: And it was beautiful.
Speaker 24: It was a beal tat that used to be out about the butcher's and you had it, you know, you had it. It was spread crumbs and egg and breadfruns and it was beautiful, with a little bit of tomato sauces, because kids do that, you know. I had also lemon, a slice of lemon, and when it was cooked I compared to beefs into what we get now. It was quite a pale meat, but it was really tender and really beautiful. But these days, oh and the original weness snittle I think comes from either Austria or perhaps Germany or even Switzerland. And when I was in Europe passing through, I think I think remembory that Switzerland's I haven't been to the other three that I mentioned. I'm sure I had a spittle, an original witness mistle. But these days when I go shopping, I buy two or three beef thistles a week because they're so you know, heavens with mashed potato peas and you know, prior tomatoes or or if you can have it with vegetables. Sometimes I'll have it with homemade chips and eggs. And it was the small summer, which is a bit of a crime because have you put too much you know, liquid sauce like rada and it kills the Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yes, you don't kill the just just touching back, seping back around to the veal. Are you saying veels not as available now?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 24: No, no, I think all the deals top deals exported probably right, very very hard to go. You know, you certainly don't see the supermarkets that I've said that I've seen beal cuts, and you certainly don't see veal sits.
Speaker 2: We might find out what's happened to the field. I know that some people thought it was cruel and opposed to that those ways, but you'll look into that, because I don't know what's happened to the veal either. I never loved the taste of veal, but I am aware that the real venus Snitchell is with veal. But because something that we're keeping the crates where they say their skin doesn't go anyway, I don't know too much about that. The young calfs what was really got to be a year old yesterd the year old. I think some of them are just days old. Uh oh no, screw on the rugby league at the zero zero zero zero and looking forward, it's all about winner. Schnitchel or Schnitzel. Actually at Schnitzel Kenny's Cafe and Courtney Place with all the cabbies late at night was a great venue for Stitzeland. A fried egg, especially if he had a skinful Marc is best prep for beef. Schnitzeler's place on a well oiled chopping board with mushroom, Brussels sprouts and avocado and tilt up above the rubbish. But it all slides off very easy into the bin the bee schlitz levery generous, serving with mushroom sauce and a good country pub, coldate pub and Canterbury very friendly too. My mum gave by visiting uncle Winner STIPs were in the sixties, which he really enjoy In fact, he said i'd really he said, I really like that fish that's from marg There we go, please you remember it all those years, sus it. It's Marcus.
Speaker 17: Welcome, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 31: I never knew snits always made from little curves.
Speaker 2: Now I thought you're a chef.
Speaker 31: Yeah, but no, we never had been a snitzer over in England. No, no, I thought it was diver or goat. I never knew it was little baby curves.
Speaker 2: I think you can do with anything, but the winner Snitchell is the young calves. Yes, I might see that has been slightly cruel.
Speaker 25: Life, very very cruel.
Speaker 2: But anyway, take the wood from your sails, though, suste.
Speaker 31: Well you can get these proper, you know, adult cows, beef that's been bashed into a snitzl.
Speaker 2: Bang bang bang with that hammer with the crosses on it.
Speaker 31: So we used to have a bowl of flour, you know, low bowl, a bowl of mashed up egg and then a bowl of bread crumbs, and you'd have to swap hands. So you have to use a fork to put it in a flower. Some people use their bare hands, and I think that's disgusting. So use a fork or two forks. Put it in a flower, yeah, or tongs in the flower both sides, then dip it in the egg. Then from there you've got to put it in the bread crumbs. And then from there, of course, you put on a plate, stack them up on a plate and then fry them. And a nice oil. I've turned to rice bread oil, of course, which smells lovely and I think it's much better for you.
Speaker 2: So it's quite controversial these days oils. A lot of people getting quite radicalized about oil.
Speaker 31: Yeah, well I won't tell you what happened to my oils, thank you. I'm now onto rice brand. And so with a big pile of mashed potato and a big pile of poles law.
Speaker 2: Colcl's traditional. That's good point.
Speaker 31: Lovely, Yeah, goes well together, quite easy and quick five minute job.
Speaker 2: Last heaven Susante.
Speaker 31: When we were kids on the phone.
Speaker 2: This is like forty years ago. Cheapers some more recent stories.
Speaker 31: That's nice of you.
Speaker 21: Have.
Speaker 2: Have you had it all those years?
Speaker 31: I don't really eat me now, you know. Might have a sausage occasionally, quite like well cooked.
Speaker 2: What you go to sausage?
Speaker 31: Oh well you need really? I like the pre cooked one quicker. You throw them in the pen and cryst them all.
Speaker 2: You've come a long way from your shifting days. Just wanting to a quick, pre cooked sausage.
Speaker 31: Still love my mesh potato with lots of butter, brilliant and lovely.
Speaker 2: We'll do a shinshed potato. I'm going to ghost, is it? But nice to talk to you. We'll do a shin mashed potato one night soon. I reckon you're going to put a whole shoe out of that venus snitch isn't calf, it's suddenly cut beef. I think finished is the calf affect? Chick someone's texted through a cousin of schnitzel. Is the chicken kiev?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: You don't hear about that so much. Get in touch, Marcus beat five eggs, six cloves, crushed garut and salt, parsley soaked schlitzel and the egg overnight flour dip back and egg garlic mixed crumb called Italian Schlitzel pan fries with lemon wedge easy so tender and tasty Schlitzel cut in the strips and rolled up with bacon strips placed the castle. Auditions have been of milk in the base, then squeezed white bread and milk and place the mush out over the bacon shits and rolls with baked in oven. Twenty seven past ten, Lili, it's Marcus good evening.
Speaker 26: Oh hi, Marcus. A veal snitzer is my go to when I go to Australia because you can't really buy it here?
Speaker 2: Do you know why you can't, Lily, do you know why you can't?
Speaker 26: I don't know why. It's it's milk fad, isn't it it's milk fed calves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's calves. I know if it's generally carves milk milk fed.
Speaker 13: But you know I was.
Speaker 26: But my daughter always gets the veal when I go over there. So that's my go to dinner when I go over to Australia. Because you can't really buy it here.
Speaker 2: Where do you go to get it? Does she cook it? Or do you go out somewhere?
Speaker 25: Oh?
Speaker 26: No, no, no, no, she buys the veal and make it up at home. Yeah, it's beautiful, but also like ficken Stitzel is very nice as well. You know, you get one chicken filet, you can make heaps of snitzel.
Speaker 6: Out of that.
Speaker 2: Well, the ausies are made on chicken snuitz So it seems to be everywhere you go, every club or everything, it's all chicken schnitzel, it seems.
Speaker 26: Yeah, well I make it here. It's one of my go to dinners, you know. I mean if you make chicken snitzl and a potato morna and a nice salad, I mean it's.
Speaker 30: A nice meal.
Speaker 2: What's the potato?
Speaker 26: I always tep lemon juice on it.
Speaker 2: What's a potato morna? Again?
Speaker 26: Potato mornai is just onions and sliced potatoes and then you actually put cheese slices on and then you put cream and then you bake it in the oven.
Speaker 2: Where's your daughter in Australia?
Speaker 26: She's about an hour and a half out of Sydney. And I've got another one in Sydney and which rich. Yeah, we're going there for Christmas. But it's always my go to when I go over there, because you really can't get this here north.
Speaker 2: South or west south, below Woole and.
Speaker 26: Gong Ah, just just past what's so terrible?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 25: Along that coastline.
Speaker 2: It'll be hot at Christmas though, won't it.
Speaker 26: Yeah, But they're all their condition and everything anyway, of course they.
Speaker 2: Are nice to talk. Lillie. Thank you for that. Six tore the Bulldogs up over Penwith's been an extremely exciting game and some incredible skills. It's going to be quite just to see if Penwick can now see how far off the pace they are with this game. This is one versus eight. I reckon it probably should be on our flag. It's a jiant but of schnitzel look good, wouldn't it. The Dennis and Dog and Westport make a true beautiful schitzel with a creamy mushroom sauce. I'm so inspired by this conversation. I'm definitely making a shitzel for dinner tomorrow. A great topic starving now, Cheers, Jackie Marcus. The thingside of peas a lot of mums seemed to suddenly start dishing up weddish stitzel to us kids in the sixties. I remember thinking it tastes amazing so much being the usual whole food she fed us. My memory is she learned about it watching Graham Kerr, the chef on the Galloping Gourmet TV show. It's Gary, Thanks Gary. So it's all about schnitzel. They're seem to be big in the sixties. It's come back again, but not as big as there's in Australia, where it is the national dish. Fact Marcus, of course we have schnitty night here South Australia, chicken or beef, a meal out at the pub, one schnitty and chips, veal send a beer cheaper than buying all that at home. My neighbor eats out cheapest snitty steak, et cetera, then cooking at home. It's from Wendy in Adelaide. So it seems that all that, it's all anyone eats in Australia is snitty and chips. There's even songs about it. Halftime in the Rugby League. The Bulldogs are up six'. Two tremendous first. Half two very good teams playing at que and tense. Level good. Evening Hewitt's, marcus.
Speaker 13: Welcome marcus Is hugh The rabbit, Man i'm driving across a farm paddock somewhere they Ow jackie hunting. Rabbits do you believe? It AND i wanted to talk to you about. Schnitzel and that's Because Nadia limb has got a fantastic recipe for rabbit snitchell, goodness goodness me all the ways you can eat a. Rabbit and she did a program there late husband went out shot the. Rabbit that's not necessarily how it. Goes some women going and she drained. Rabbits But nadia's husband went out and shot a rabbit and then naw the gathered, that skinned it and appeared it and tossed it in a bit of, flour egg and panco bread crumbs wet in the frying. Pan hate presso rabbits nut.
Speaker 9: Silk so it's not.
Speaker 2: Much you're a recipe because it's just pretty much. Standards it just bread crumbson, flour, milk, flour, eggs bread crumbson.
Speaker 13: Panco right What and the lady who found you last night perhad if you wanted to get hold of me with regard to some, food she can just protect me through My facebook. Page ego hunds a Ro And i'm dropping off a couple of sheet next week To Cameron harrison butcher's and there's a couple of ferreal sheep that five of. Them make sure that that's someone where they shouldn't, be so that they're eating the, plants the, plant the plant of pious of the. Plants and so the sheep got to. Go so they'll be going to part next.
Speaker 2: Week why does the butcher would then have a peculiar taste of ferrial sheep.
Speaker 13: Almost. Certainly And i've had some advice my brother and all the farmer And marlborough and a couple of other, farmers AND i, say don't try to eat a ram because they're a five year old ram and or taste like. Yak and THEN i talked to this beautiful young, woman well Any danielle At Cameron. Harrison she, said forget of. That you just bring in and will turn and it's up me yummy for. You and so the first part of that process is age the animal or seven days she, Said we'll just hang them on the chiller for seven days and they will start taking them apart and we'll create some sausages that will be just to die. For wow Sausages and, oh, sorry sausages and meat. Petties i've just realized completely off subject onto ferial sheep and, sausages and they're not going to be made Into.
Speaker 2: But the feral shape you've found is a five year old, ram is?
Speaker 13: It there's five, sheep five of them five, sheep four of them are. Rams ones of. You you may well be the best eating of the.
Speaker 2: Lot how far away from the farmers are they.
Speaker 13: On the wrong side of the. Wire, basically it's hard to say because the land has been developed for subdivision and a retirement. Village this issue retirement village land and a housing. Subdivision so there's a big track of bush or whitland area which is a quy two government and the farmland is way way to hick on the far side of all of. That so these sheep are probably about three hundred to five hundred meters away from any kind of, farm they maybe fewer than. That and they are eating the. Plants it's part of the resource management. Neck you've got to plant a lot of plants when you do a, subdivision and they're going along and just chewing the tops out of them and pulling them out of the.
Speaker 2: Ground are they in good? Condition the, SHEEP i.
Speaker 13: Reckon they look really. YUMMY i think they look really good. Condition they're. Nice in, fact they've probably been shorn in about only two years ago, maybe and they've got long, tails and the three rams have got test cool. Stool so they'll. Go And i'm not going to eat. Those i'm not going to make shifts.
Speaker 2: Either will they heavy to carry.
Speaker 13: OUT i haven't done that. Yet they're going old farming story farmer comes, home kids come home from, school, said dadd, daddy we're all The we're all the the calves that were in the peddix morning and their pharmacies drop wickinsey lovely, Men'says i've gone on the holloway To. Tapau so these children grew up believing the rare sheep when the cattle when they left the farm went To. Tapa and So i'm just going to see in these sheep To twerpa Next monday Or. Tuesday where they get them the right part of the safe shooting. Area for, me it's the built up area and just weck, them get, them get, them check, them and you look them over the Hill Eckertara road who have had hanger up in there for a few days AND i think they'll be okay to. EAT i, mean you are talking to a man who will eat a billy, goat and a lot of people say don't eat billy. Gates they st but once you get rid of the, skin the testicles and other bits and pieces they actually have as. Bad and the meat is. Gaming certainly that if you like a good, game you, meat that's, Okay and if you hang it for seventy ten, days it's still.
Speaker 2: Okay, brilliant it's a, Plan, hugh thanks very much for. That fire and reefed and houses fully involved power company has been called fire crews from surrounding areas and, tending Including. Graymouth my husband loves his. Beef so you'll spread with sage and onion stuff and finally chopped u, mushrooms then rolled up and. Fried jess Ats. Marcus good, Evening.
Speaker 30: Oh evenings, Here.
Speaker 9: Marcus how are you?
Speaker 25: Mate?
Speaker 13: Good?
Speaker 2: Jess what's?
Speaker 13: Up?
Speaker 30: Mate i'm calling on doing my folding my laundry here In Western, australia AND i thought i'd give you a call Because i'm having chicken palmi for.
Speaker 2: Dinner are you cooking?
Speaker 25: It?
Speaker 30: Now the wife's on that, job But i'm in here folding my clothes like a naughty little, boy and she's cooking the chicken.
Speaker 2: Parmi so tell me about. Palmi that is chicken stitzel with ham and, cheese tomato, sauce is?
Speaker 30: It that's exactly?
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 30: Yep so you've got a crumb snitzel and then they've got and then ham and cheese and a pizza. Sauce pizza sauce first.
Speaker 2: Yep so it seems pretty much to be the classic gassy. Dish now it seems like it's taken. Over will that be?
Speaker 10: Fair?
Speaker 30: Yep, yeah, yeah it's the it's the meat pie Of. Australia, yeah that's.
Speaker 2: Right so how often would you eat?
Speaker 25: It or not?
Speaker 30: Often we we, Probably, well it depends if you go if you go out for like a, part if you go to a, pub they normally do like twenty, Bucks like you get a, pint you might get chicken and chicken, palmei which is your your obviously your, snitzel and then some chips in a. Salad so that's not bad for twenty.
Speaker 2: Bucks so's twenty bucks you get shitty and chips and a, pint get a pint of beer, yep. Flip if only and how what's the. Temperature, well we've been cold of.
Speaker 9: Late we are what's it? Now we're twelve?
Speaker 2: Degree oh there's cold for that's cold For.
Speaker 30: Perth Well i'm hopping in the ice have you you know the ice, Bath, Marcus i'm doing the ice, bath. Mate it's four. Degrees why are you doing?
Speaker 13: That?
Speaker 30: Oh just looking after the old, rig you, know like the OLDER i, get you, know you just just to just sort of help those those aches and pains that sort of stick around once you.
Speaker 7: Hit the fodings are on the.
Speaker 2: Hammers, no, no, no, No i'm an.
Speaker 30: OFFICER i work in an.
Speaker 2: Officer but, YEAH i haven't got THE i haven't got the pains. Yet, SEE i haven't never felt the ad to the. Ice have you had a sporting career or, Something, yeah, well a.
Speaker 30: Bit of, exercise but a bit of. Exercise i'm coming back from a few injuries and sport. Injuries but it's the ice baths are. Amazing like you go in there for four, minutes, right it's about four degrees and normally it's like done through an app where they'll talk you through the. Process, OKAY i.
Speaker 20: Didn't know, That, okay, Yep, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the only Thing i've read About perth recently is a huge housing. Short have you experienced that or are you witnessing? That not, really, okay not That i've, not.
Speaker 30: Not That i've, Witnessed BUT i think IT'S i think IT'S i think it's Every. MARCUS i THINK i think it WAS i think it's. Immigration, Right but we're not going to go that this, time AND i, god, no, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well if anything like, that you've got to be ford planning because it takes a long time to get your consents and the building process, happening and they don't always seem to get it, right do?
Speaker 28: They?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 30: Yeah exactly what else HAVE i got for Your?
Speaker 9: Marcus on what time is it?
Speaker 2: There what times have chicken palm have been sued? At like four o'clock there, now is?
Speaker 9: It?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no it's six oh, yeah six o'clock about the right.
Speaker 13: Time, yeah eight minutes to.
Speaker 30: Seven so we' and we're going to watch The we're going to sit down and watch the rugby league. Together Delayed AND i was listening to you and you ruined it with the score at half. Time but did you.
Speaker 2: Did you did you go to The state of ORIGIN i. Did did most of the people there did they seem to be people that have traveled across or were they mainly people From Western? Australia because the strange thing to, do wasn't?
Speaker 30: IT i THINK i think it was a mixed, bag but more More perth.
Speaker 9: PEOPLE i would.
Speaker 2: Imagine, okay and do you think the bees will? Go, well, ah.
Speaker 26: Give it five.
Speaker 30: Years we'll, See we'll give it five years to even get off the. GROUND i, Think, well they're bringing in The Papua New guinea, team so there's going to be a SHORTAGE i think of, players which is more of a concern to me than the shortage of. Housing is the short of short of talent with THE nrl, Boys BUT.
Speaker 9: I don't, know what do you?
Speaker 30: Reckon?
Speaker 13: Mark how do you?
Speaker 30: Reckon they'll?
Speaker 13: Go don't?
Speaker 10: Know don't?
Speaker 2: Know, well how are the two how are the Two Ossie rules teams doing In Western? Australia are they kind of up the ladder or The fremandel still the easy? Beats?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 30: Both so That West Coast eagles the bottom of the.
Speaker 13: Ladder.
Speaker 30: Yep i'm going to my first game Next friday and my boss is shouting me to the go and. Watch i've never been to AN afl, again so that'll be.
Speaker 2: Cool, well they're giving away. Tickets that's not a good. Size so The west coast spot? Them and Where's freemantle aid near the bottom as?
Speaker 13: Well are?
Speaker 9: THEY i think?
Speaker 30: So, YEAH i haven't seen anyone hyping. Them side to imagine they're outside of playoff playoffs as.
Speaker 2: Well, okay we'll enjoy that and get back to. It jess as your is your is your ice bath something you plug in or do you got to put ice your own ice in?
Speaker 25: It?
Speaker 13: No, no we've got.
Speaker 30: It there's a they've actually they've got a little place close to home where they have a whole lot of them and you just go in there and pay fifteen.
Speaker 2: Bucks and the way you, go oh you go out of the house and do.
Speaker 30: It oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah you. DO i try and GET i try and do it twice a. Week So i'll normally do it sort of Midweek, wednesday and Then i'll go again go again on the. Weekend what's the?
Speaker 2: Place what's the what's it called an ice bath? Place is?
Speaker 12: It?
Speaker 30: Well the name is detox Zen.
Speaker 2: Well and you're just in for four. Minutes, yeah but.
Speaker 9: What normally i'll Do, normally i'll do two.
Speaker 30: Sessions i'll do like four, minutes and they'll hop, out dance around of it trying warm, up and then jump back in for another. Four BUT i went last. Night it was so COLD i could barely get through two.
Speaker 2: Minutes, Wow, OKAY i don't Think i'll do. It, yeah, Okay, Jess i'm interested in. THAT i don't THINK i could do. It it would be a disaster for. Me don't like wouldn't like a cold, bath nothing about. That BUT i don't even like a shower and it's. Cold people say that so, INVIGORATING i don't think. So New schlitzel restaurant coming to Chrost Itt. STITCH i couldn't find anything about. That marcus just. GENDENTS i haven't heard the. Rest why is? It Stitchel? Thursday how Funny we had Be schnitzel for it in tonight with, cream spinach and potato mash and. Peas Delicious cheers M r twenty one past, Eleven good, evening Kimm It's marcus. Welcome, Yeah, Hi.
Speaker 32: MATCHESS i just got to give you a call because he had a caller earlier talking about H f For. Veals and how it was done and potentially why it's not so common these days In New.
Speaker 4: Zealand, well thank you for.
Speaker 2: That yeah, good that's all.
Speaker 32: Right so when in the seventies WHEN i was a, child we had a, farm was a small farm out In Tower packy west Of, autland and we read carbs for. Veal we get to carve the bobby calves off the farms surrounding. Farms we would keep them for six weeks in, stalls but they were always indoors in the shed and they had an individual store where they could, stand sit and turn. Around but that was about the limit of Their that was about the limit of their. Life, essentially the six weeks we spend with. Us we had a small herd that was that was melt and they were fed milk for over that period and then they were sent off to be processed to become to be processed to become. Veal i'm assuming That i'm pretty confident that process doesn't work. Anymore it was only for two years WHEN i was a younger, child BUT i remember it very clearly Where dad's job was to milk the cows And mum's job was to move the, buckets and there was a hose that come out and we'd filled the buckets with milk on the way, through and they were exclusively fed. Milk and it seems to me that based on the way that we like to treat animals, now that's potentially not something.
Speaker 4: That would be.
Speaker 32: Acceptable and so for that, REASON i believe that veal is raised slightly differently In New zealand now potentially in the, pasture but the lifespan of a calf that's produced for veal is actually recently.
Speaker 2: Short so that was just sort of My, yeah, LOOK i don't, KNOW i should, know BUT i don't know. What BECAUSE i know that that bobby, calves male calves are, born that they are not of much use and they are well are they slaughtered for? Meat? Almost what happens to them these? Days if they're not going to? Veil is there a market for? NEWBORN i mean it sounds a bit. Grim but are they where do they?
Speaker 32: Go, well, LOOK i moved to the, city So i've got no. Idea i'm aware of Bobby bobby, calves BUT i do know that they have they do have some, value but the value is reasonably low to the. Farmer and the reason that they Do bobby calves is because because obviously the balls are of least used to them because they can't recreate The, yeah that's exactly. Right and so those those calves then become access to, requirements and the price to feed them to the where they be of any value if they've got seed shortages is. Worthwhile so it becomes a business. Decision but how that what they do with and when they go is not there's not Something i'm particularly familiar IF i just know that They've that Was that's the way that we dealt with The bobby. Calves AND i have to say that my entire life growing, up if somebody said to, me on your, birthday what did you want to have for? Dinner what would be your perfect birthday? Dinner for? Me it was peas and corn massed potato and snits al every, time absolutely no. Doubt and and it's a meal That i've cooked regularly throughout my entire adult life for my children and they all love it.
Speaker 4: Too so.
Speaker 9: So, yeah that was my real.
Speaker 32: STORY i thought it might be of some.
Speaker 2: Time found that really, Interesting, Kim thank, you found that really. INTERESTING i hear About topeki there. Too Roger, marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 9: SORRY i mean just the speech of. Phone there is?
Speaker 2: It, okay you got you something really? Cool you're sounding great.
Speaker 9: Cool, no just fun. SHOW i Love you're trying to keep it to the Stints. Lake it's just. Hilarious put a smile on the door with a biscuit. Stencil.
Speaker 2: Yeah by the, way.
Speaker 9: Well yeah it was the biscuit since aul. Story do you remember?
Speaker 14: That?
Speaker 2: YES i remember it.
Speaker 3: ALL i caught.
Speaker 9: Ims SORRY i missed the bit about how did they bind the biscuit to the. MEAT i wasn't quite.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah it was sure because. Smash, YEAH i sort of when you said milk, BISCUIT i sort of focused on, that but rather than how it was.
Speaker 9: Attached, yeah because in my, Mind i've got some, biscuits imhows up and trying to get to some. CHICKEN i can't imagine it gone so. Well you, Know, YEAH i don't know the, answer but it was the key thing, though because it.
Speaker 2: Might have been an. Egg did you mean what he? Said? Dan then THEN i don't ready to silence Them. DAN i don't know what the.
Speaker 9: Answer dan's busy worries probably. Stories oh, good we're going to give that a. Go were YOU i WOULD i would give that a. Go it sounds, interesting sounds love a bit of, crunchiness you, Know AND i Love New, zealand love everyone In New. Zealand it's a great.
Speaker 2: Country so its Like, roger what part of the country are?
Speaker 9: You and up, north, mate up? NORTH i Thought i'd beature north and see how it, goes BECAUSE i like warmer, weather warm, winters like growing. Trees how far up? North not too, far but you know within a stone stow of walk with actually walk with.
Speaker 2: Loving the new motorway Away auckland's. Motorway where it come? Out now where's it? Go as far as.
Speaker 9: It's you, know it just. Comes it, comes and just north Of walkworth about say a kay north Of Central, north the township the new packing staves. There so THE i think everyone is loving the access to better, Prices i'm, sure you, know because it seems to cost a lot in smaller towns for your bits and. Pieces so that's. Great it's all going, ahead you. KNOW i think there's a bit of a good buzz around the. Place where got a bit of prosperity coming with a bit of transport.
Speaker 2: Access i'm pleased with your.
Speaker 9: Positivity poor old north one has been cut off you, know just transport wise and. Convenience for so, long it's a you, know once it starts spreading further, north it's just going to help the.
Speaker 2: Whole IF i was The north That i'd want to be cut, off keep everyone.
Speaker 9: Away oh all, right everyone's, good, yeah but you.
Speaker 2: Know otherwise it's going to get overwhelmed too many. People, well get.
Speaker 9: A people are, great, though aren't? They what's wrong with? People fair?
Speaker 2: Enough good? Point, Okay, roger think we'll live at the past to Living jason As marcus good, Evening.
Speaker 9: He, Evening Marcus, veal True.
Speaker 21: Veal i'm not even sure you can get it In, europe made On europe.
Speaker 9: Anymore but.
Speaker 21: Traditionally it was less than a week called and it had never seen the light Of BUT i guess animal rights people that so.
Speaker 2: The fact That, jason, yeah the fact that it wasn't that it was kept in the. Dark did that keep them meat a light? Color is?
Speaker 9: It the?
Speaker 2: Equation?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: Great why would that? Be why would that do?
Speaker 21: That, oh it's the same as an, animal, like if you keep it in the, dark we go besty. White if we go out on the, sun we go. AROUND i don't, know, well perhaps that's ALL i would have imagined.
Speaker 2: Anyway, yeah it certainly, works but they just feed the milk and they kept in the darky, OKAY i appreciate, That, jason thank. You twenty four to Twelve marcus warm today tonight and one is my brother's In. Perth they all love snitty and have it With yorkshire. Pudding you will get a night On yorkshire. Putting one Time penworth moved to sixth on the. Table now Can deby remain? Top they look pretty happy You're. Raymond It's. Marcus, welcome good, evening.
Speaker 8: Good mate, here thanks, good Thanks.
Speaker 15: RAYMOND i thought i'd keep it on.
Speaker 8: Topic just a little tip from a shipping. Days i've had a lot of people using the oil to cook the. Snitzel give clarified but ere. Ago it's a lot. Better doesn't handle the really hot, temberages but it's ideal for things like schnitzel where you want to get a really nice camel camera caramelization on the coating without over cooking the meat and the. Inside so, yeah just a little tipp.
Speaker 2: There where would you get? Clarified do people make clarify is it a process clarified butter or do you buy clarified.
Speaker 8: Butter you buy, it it's had the milk solids extracted out of. It it's been headed. Up and you know when you put butter in the bottom of a pen and, heater you get that cloud in this down the bottom or that's been. Removed that means it can handle higher. Temperatures the solids don't burn in the higher. Temperatures so, yeah you buy the supermarket and like a margarine, container uh, huh, okay and the fridge, yep, yep just keeping in the. Fridge but WHAT i do and used to WHEN i was, cooking WAS i have a stainless steel vol next to her. STOVES i used to use it. Liqualfied so as soon as you put it in the, pen it's up to. Temperature you, know don't have to wait for it to slide around and heat. Up and the first part that gets melted heats up quicker than the end, part you know WHAT i. Mean, YEAH i.
Speaker 2: SUPPOSE i suppose it's still costs a fortune now, clarified but along with but it won't be a cheaper form of, butter will.
Speaker 3: It it's not, cheap but don't.
Speaker 8: Much you're not using it all the time and you only need about half a tablespoon each.
Speaker 2: Time really good advice that they, have and think that's. Kind thank you for that six away from twelve. People anything else in the other tips that was. Good we've got some special tech and a lot of people be cooking this. Tomorrow we might have another night on strips all tomorrow to tell us how it all went for you And marc has Been bailey that you's didn't chief for THE tv program a couple of weeks, ago had to show about The Harry Harry butcher butchery which he. Visited Harry harry is the home Of Mary jane To Marsy Great Bacon thompson's butchery best. Ever she's a newsreader of some. Repute Mary jane To Marsy, MARCUS i stopped brought some stitchel driving over a late shift in the busy. ED i won't need to leave the house now for three. DAYS a yum, Yum? Marcus could you ask your list is what is the best black? Pudding and where to buy? It catherine and In inn it's a bit late for a new. Topic we're not going to hold on a black. Pudding BUT i like, it but it still freaks me. Out don't want to say it being, made that's for. Sure let's just put it that.
Speaker 1: Way for more From marcus Lash, nights listen live To News talk sa'd be from eight pm, weekdays or follow the podcast On iHeartRadio