Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from Newstalks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio, Strake down the Middle of.
Speaker 2: Drup, Dicky Scy Try these packet.
Speaker 1: Inside the Game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliot Smith and Liam Napier powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Habit Heath, tackling all your aches and pains from sports and work back for another week Elliott Smith and Liam Napier. Plenty to get stuck into. But first, some breaking news that has come just before we kicked off our recording of Rugby Directs, and that is New Zealand Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson to stand down at the ends of twenty twenty five. Liam, your initial reaction to this newser There had had been a few rumors in recent weeks that this was a possibility and now it has been firmed that he's leaving at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big news is and Elliott the head of our national sport moving on at the end of the year. Has it's been a tumultuous six year tenure. I think it's fair to say Mark Robinson coming in following Steve Cheue two very different characters. Cho was a very dictatorial, authoritative figure and Mark Robinson a different type of leader.
Speaker 4: He hasn't had it easy, but it has.
Speaker 3: Been a There's been a lot of upheaval, hasn't There COVID unprecedented pandemic, all the closures and the Super Rugby upheaval that came out of that Silver Lake, the private equity deal that's still in the balance about whether that was a good move for the New Zealand game, and of course the public fallout around Ian Foster and Robertson that the appointment of the All Blacks coach, again unprecedented coming during in the lead up to the twenty twenty three World Cup. So some very big ticket items on Mark Robinson's tenure. And I think there you mentioned the whispers the rumors there. The riding had been on the wall from the back end of last year when you had a new New Zealand Rugby board coming, David Kirk the new chairman, and everyone expected at some point he would essentially push for change. We've also had the New Zealand Rugby commercial co boss move on, Craig Fenton, and I think there was always going to be a come to Jesus moment where New Zealand Rugby wanted one group CEO across those both those boards. So the commercial entity of New Zealand Rugby and the rugby arm of the New Zealand Rugby board and who that's going to be, not too sure. What do you make of I guess your initial reaction of the news and I guess your reflections of he's not gone yet, but of his time on Mark Robinson's time in the hot seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it hasn't come easy for Robinson. I think compared to Steve Chu probably navigated a few less challenges in the global game potentially, and that was exacerbated by COVID nineteen. I mean Mark Robinson started the gig in January of twenty twenty. The world was a completely different place back then to where it is now. And it feels like the game is still sort of getting back on its feet a little bit after COVID, both at super rugby level and an international level. The Silver Lake deal, as you said, very much jury out still as to whether that was a good idea and whether New Zeale Rabya is seeing the benefits of what was supposedly promised by silver Lake as a result of them pumping that money into elements of the New Zealand game. So he's seen a period of change and I think the timing's probably right to have someone new come in and accelerate that change, or even decelerate the change and changed up a bit and look for different ways to do things in the national game. I think, yeah, the jury is probably out over his legacy is tenure. You know, the pull away from South Africa is probably going to be something that's attached to him. I know a lot of New Zealand rugby fans view that period of Super Rugby with South Africa with roast into glasses. It feels like this year Super Pacific might have got to the point where they envisioned it being when they first split away from the South Africans. So ultimately, I think a mixed period of legacy. And you know he's judged on not only the on field results but also the off field results, and I think on that point you probably have to say very much a mixed tenure from Mark Robinson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that would be reflected if you went out to the heart blends of rugby and talked to the provincial unions. If you talk to people about the way in which Silverlac deal played out, about the all black coaching appointment, and a lot of those situations are lose lose from a public facing point of view, But at times I think there could have been more strong, decisive leadership of New Zealand game and I think that's what they'll be seeking going forward with a replacement in time. Just on your point about South Africa, I think there has been an element of history being rewritten there. I think South Africa always we're going to go that way. COVID accelerated it, maybe it wasn't handled that well. And even the friction, the tension with Australia about how many teams I've had, well we've seen now that clearly they couldn't afford or sustain five teams. So history does shine a different light on things. I think Super Rugby is more sustainable in its current format and.
Speaker 4: US would be nice to.
Speaker 3: Have South Africa involved, But like you say, a bit of rose into glasses there in some respects, and I think they were always going to break away and go north.
Speaker 2: He's going to leave at the end of the year. There's still a few things to be signed off before he does depart. A new broadcast deal, the Women's Rugby World Cup in England is still to take place. We haven't had rugby's greatest rivalry. These tours against Africa are basically they're in the schedule, but it hasn't been officially announced that. The Club World Cup hasn't been officially announced, the Nation's Cup schedule etc. Hasn't been officially announced. So there's a fair bit of work to do before he leaves the post at the end of the year, where he apparently he's going to go join his family in Australia who are based in Queensland. So very understandable for from those reasons, but a bit of work to do, I guess, you know some part of it and from what I unerstand very well respected Mark Robinson around the international boards, the international game, bring back tours, there's going to be something that he can probably point to as part of his legacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's some really big ticket items mentioned there. The tours concept will be hugely popular once every four years and the boom I guess in the Woman's game and the Black Ferns will Cup this year and it sounds like plans are in the works to really finalize a strong calendar for the women's game in this country going forward. So yeah, there are some positive steps taken there. And as you mentioned, he is going to go join his family in Queensland. He's got three kids, understand all you want to link up there. But the big one there is the broadcast steel. It sounds like Sky is offering around eighty five million, which is a significant reduction on previous years.
Speaker 4: New Zealand Rugby has.
Speaker 3: Signed a number of different sponsorship deals in recent times to plug potentially plug some of those holes. But that is going to be really fundamental to funding every level of the game. How that broadcast steal plays out.
Speaker 2: Anyone stand out as a possible contender to take over this job or is it going to be very much an open such I.
Speaker 3: Think it will be open slather to a degree. I see it being a one, one group CEO, so you will have I think you still have people at the head of a commercial code board or in a New Zealand Rugby board. But then there's an overarching helicopter figure almost like a Director of Rugby type role, but in a managerial position, somebody with strong business background but still knows the rugby scene. So I don't think there's anyone internally that jumps out, but it is going to be a massive appointments and I think people like David Kirk will have a big say in who that might be.
Speaker 2: Indeed, watch the space say some breaking news out this morning, can follow all the reaction on ZID, Herald, dot co dot nz. Of course, let's get into the weekend that was in Super Rugby and boy this took a turn, didn't it. This weekend of Super Rugby qualifying finals, so much of that last game being a dead rubber. We'll get to what caused that in a moment or two, but first and foremost, the Brumbies. Let's start backwards. Brumbies beating the Hurricanes thirty five twenty eight, the cane train that had been gathering momentum. It's a bit like New Zealand's approach to rail. It's come to a grinding halt and the Hurricane to be disappointed with this. Look the Brumbies with a better team. I think on the night the Hurricanes were with them, they led fourteen seven, but something switched around the half hour mark, and it felt like even before they went behind the school, they began chasing the game. The Brumbies just began to get on top of the armory so and didn't relent. And boy, it was a game with fine margins and the Hurricanes are probably disappointed with their discipline. Also, the air account through that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our friendship was is in jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was driving back from the tron and receive a gift, a gift in the student night chat group that Thomas the tank Engine's coming off the track.
Speaker 4: So it was not well received. It's fair to say I think we'd have enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: No, No, I did not what it was the key And then obviously you're you've you've you've seen the game, and the Hurricanes we frustrated. Perhaps they didn't put their best performance out and what turned out to be a knockout game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I devastated.
Speaker 3: You could see Billy Proctor sitting on the posts post final whistle carrefee very emotional post match, and that's just deflating because, as you mentioned, the Canes had built a lot of momentum from being in a real hole and getting guys like Billy Proctor back were massive for them and they had their draw and Perth knocked over the Brumbies and the Chiefs and really did that. They came into the finals probably as the form team and to go to camera it's an incredibly tough place to win. But defensively they let themselves down. The mall defense cost them. They considered one really nice set try to Tom Wright, but it just always felt like they were chasing the game and yeah they could score points, still created a lot, but defensively they were exposed. And yeah, they'll reflect on that harshly because they set themselves up for a real tilt and flopped. I think, you know, they'll be really disappointed with the level that they got to because they were much better in previous weeks.
Speaker 2: They were and this has been a bit of a graveyard for them. Canberra in terms of ending their Super Rugby season on a couple of occasions, whether their mindset changed given it was a knockout game rather than seating game for them, potentially, but it just felt like they didn't get enough probably out of ten. I didn't think on the weekend Britt Cameron that they moved him back into teen with Ruben Love at fullback. Probably didn't get enough how of brick Cameron and I thought Flanders and duple coref He tried all nine and so did Larkeye, but they were beaten I thought by the while other Brumbies loose for Valentin, he had another outstanding night. You know there's other loose for partners I thought were excellent as well, and probably just been into the punch. We didn't see Kreefy over the ball as much as we've seen him in other games this season. We'll put him those big hats and just didn't probably get the ascendency up front.
Speaker 3: You look credit to the Brumbies as well. They are a good team and tough to beat in camera. And this match was in stark contrast, wasn't it to the other semi final. It was open, it was quite expensive, it was high scoring and Canes just couldn't quite stick with the Brumbies.
Speaker 4: It was very tip for tat.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just a couple of really bad defensive lapses proved costly. And you're right, I didn't think they got enough out of ten. There was some punch at times, but little moments that made breaks and you know, bread shields go through and just funnels the ball and then little occasions like that where they couldn't quite make it stick. So it's another early exit for the Canes, probably reflective of where they are at in the New Zealand pecking order. But having built that momentum into the finals they did. It was very familiar of building up hope and then letting the balloon down. So tough to take all.
Speaker 2: Right, Let's move back to the Blues twenty Chiefs nineteen Blues winning it after the siren in Hamilton. Liam, as you mentioned you were there, I wouldn't say you had a great seat for it, but given what I've seen out of that media box, thanks Chet. Yeah, really good thinks the media really appreciates it. Blues though stubborn nineteen six down. I mean they were out of it really at half time, but they went out of it. They should have been at it at half time. The Chiefs had so much ball, so much position in territory in that first spell, and yet we're only leading what nine to three at the break, and if Boden Barrett their ball sits up or he can slide onto it and score the try, then the Blues would have been a hit against the run of play at halftime, but it felt like the Chiefs a game of that a sentence after the break. Nineteen six games should probably have been locked away in a tight tuss all like that. But as I said, the Blues a stubborn. They refuse to give up. And it took all Lady three minutes, but they keep this season alive. Very impressive performance. To keep this season going.
Speaker 3: You want to results, I think first of all, I want to touch on the Chiefs because bizarre tactics. They played into the Blues hands by being so conservative by crashing it one off the ruck, and even Verncotta postmatch said those tactics surprise the Blues.
Speaker 4: Really did, felt like.
Speaker 3: I feel like the Chiefs went into their shells a bit and it did still work for them to a degree. They blew I think five chances in the Blues red zone in that first half dominated all position. They pretty much set up camp and the Blues twenty two. There was the quartz at Artema bounce of the ball that didn't go his way, but there was I think it was a Daniel Rona when Caleb Clark threw that brain explosion of a quick throwing a couple of penalties, botched opportunities, so the Chiefs could have been up a couple of tries at halftime. The Blues actually looked more dangerous when they had ball in hand. They lose Ricky Ricottelli and the Chiefs don't really punish them for that. And then as you mentioned there, the Bowden Barrett brilliance and could have easily scored the Blues could.
Speaker 4: Have been up at halftime.
Speaker 3: And before we go into the rest of it, just on that boden Bar completely outplayed Damien McKenzie in a.
Speaker 4: Match that matters.
Speaker 3: You know that this was a head to hea battle and McKenzie was virtually other than goalkicking non existent. Boden Bar, a very influential with his tactical kicking, would have should have scored that try. Named Man of the match. So really wiped the floor and McKenzie on his home patch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much she ascribe to McKenzie's performance, the tactics that you mentioned the change in that that it was a very un chief slight performance from what we've seen. Did they just go well, it's plat footy, we need to play this way rather than doing what's worked for them. The entire season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just had a thought here, I'm just going to blow my own trumpet, because a couple of weeks ago, do you remember me saying the one team in Super Rugby that could beat the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: This was after they pumped Winer was the Blues.
Speaker 2: As you did say that, yep, yeah, it's not even the Hurricane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did mention that, and that's because the Blues forward pack and in their tactics it's built for finals rugby, isn't it. And they've had tight tussles with the Chiefs and Crusaders this year. But yeah, I just felt the Chiefs that they had all that strike. I don't know whether losing Antonina Brown and Quincy Pye changed their tactics somewhat. They didn't win a confidence to use their back line, but it was just so conservative and as you mentioned, they're up thirteen points. It should have been shut the gate, closed the game out, But the Blues incredibly resilient, aren't They just to keep coming back, keep fighting, and it was a real role reversal in that second half. They set up camp in the Blues twenty two and it did feel inevitable even when Hoskinsitutu denied that try.
Speaker 4: It was penalty.
Speaker 2: Clark denied that try for and knocking it off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was penalty after penalty and just wave after wave of the Blues raiding the Chiefs line and what a moment for Josh Berry to come off the bench bus through. I think it was Arcoy's tackle, reach out and score for young promising Locke, such an unlikely hero right next to the post. And it was earlier in the year March maybe when the Blues went down there scored Xavier Taile, twenty year old kids hits the post with a conversion. This time it's right next to the posts and Boden Barrett throws the ball over and the Blues steal it, and Ricco Ajani remains the chief protagonist, shushing the crowd and hamming it up. So the Blues probably the most hated team and Super Rugby, but they're doing the business.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's promotion for the game and if they want to build that narrative around them, think great. I think that's good for the game. And Rico Juani's done a very very good job at doing so great to see Cameron so far as all the images of Cameron so far in hospital chearing his team on teep A lot too mentioned the postgame their thoughts obviously with Cameron so far as everyone's are as he goes through this tough health battle. But the Blues, now, you know, they're going with their tails up to this game in christ yet. We'll get to the Crusader's reads at a moment. But the Crusader's never lost a home game. Van Koda mentioned, well, they've got to lose some time, he said, he.
Speaker 4: Was asked about that, not yet his immediate response, and look.
Speaker 2: They came very close to doing so. But for a James a Quanta penalty earlier in the season. The Crusaders will go in probably his favorites. But boy, the Blues will hid down there with their tails up. The things that potentially could count against them. That six day turned around for what was a very physical game. But when you got that adrenaline and that momentum going, that may not matter too much.
Speaker 3: It does feel like the Blues have nothing to lose, you know, the defending champions, but they just snuck into the playoffs.
Speaker 4: It's been a.
Speaker 3: Rubbish year really, from when you look at this squad and where they came from and how dominant they were to win that first title in twenty one years last year and then yeah they scrape into the playoffs, everyone's writing them off, nobody really gives them a chance. And it's a similar theme this week really with as you mentioned that the record down there in christ Church, most people will be tipping the Crusaders, and so the Blues maintain their underdog villain status or whatever you want to call it, go down there and ye harness their internal confidence and with the game that is built for finals rugby. So what a match up to arch rivals. I would like to see two selection changes from the Blues. I know you don't change your warning formula, but I thought Finlay Christie was relatively poor again drop the ball at the base, there was a thinking one kick charge and his kicking was a bit off. Tough of fol Nachi. I would bring him back into the mix, even off the bench, and zarh Sullivan for me, should be at fullback from when you're playing that combative direct game and you want to play territory just having his massive boot.
Speaker 4: I looked at Corey Evans.
Speaker 3: He put up a couple of high kicks and went to contest them very bravely, but didn't regather them. And a couple of clearance kicks only made you know, ten to twenty meters you put zar in the pocket, you're looking at another forty. So those were two tweaks I think the Blue should look at, but I'm not sure they will.
Speaker 2: All soun Sullivan and Steph Pittferer become two of the forgotten men of New Zealand rugby.
Speaker 4: Well, parafest is injured, Yeah, but isn't he back?
Speaker 2: He's back? Doesn't he fit again? Or very close to being fit?
Speaker 4: Pretty close?
Speaker 2: And again with the All Blacks looming, you know, not much of a chance to show the WIRs. Let's go into that Crusader's Reds game on Friday night. The Crusaders just went to work. Really, the Reds failed to fire a shot until the game was beyond them, and the Crusaders I think can be relatively happy with the eighty minutes they turned out. In fact, if you went into that game, if your Rob Penny pretty much everything, you know, they got through relatively injury free. From what I understand, they could sub some of those players before the game was done. It wasn't in the balance. Job done for the Crusaders, and they took that box on Friday night.
Speaker 3: A lot of the talk from us and outside was about the returner will Jordan, but the guy who had the biggest impact on this game returning was Fletcher Newel and the Crusaders scrum just ate the reds up to Mighty Williams and Fletcher Neil Fletcher in particular, just went to work and that's where their dominance started and they just rolled on. It really was a procession and it's what you expect, wasn't it from that matchup? Much tougher quest this week, but as you mentioned, they are in great shape to Mighty Williams.
Speaker 4: Injury not too bad.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's too bad. I's get a full report on that, but I think it's okay, hopefully from a Crusader's perspective, because he's I mean, he's on a mountain of work this year. He switched to tight head for a period of weeks with Fletcher Newell being out. He's been excellent. I think for them. Tomody Williams the season probably close to being their best player throughout the season. Just what he's adding to his game a few times he's slotted in a half back and showing a pretty good pass, which I know is not his core skills, but his scrummaging work has been excellent this season, and really liking the way that he's going. So hopefully and I haven't had update from Friday night, hopefully it's not too bad in that perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big, big performer there, I thought, Christian Leo Werde another standout performance from him. James O'Connor was quite patchy off the bench, missed touch kick that was kick the ball dead and another sort of knock on, so uncharacteristically poor performance when he did come on there.
Speaker 4: Big. Focused on the scrum this week.
Speaker 3: I think we've talked a bit about Josh for situr and has you know rise this year while going up against Fletcher. Massive task to stabilize that scrum because the Crusaders clearly came from the Reds there and the Blues value their set piece that they backed themselves and so that's where this could be. One of the.
Speaker 2: Blues had a few issues at scrum time on the weekend and gets got popped up by Olie Norris on one occasion. So yeah, that's going to be key part of the game, isn't it. And we have our playoff set. We'll get into some tipping very very shortly. But you know the road to the title runs through christ Church, which not many would have expected after that first weekend. And what chance do you give the Brumbies of beating the Chiefs in Hamilton? You mentioned the Blues have got that style of game that can stop them. Well, the Brumbies have got that prototype as well. You'd fancy the Chiefs, but you know, the Brumbies are really in a similar position to the Blues. They've got nothing to lose.
Speaker 4: It was just firstly on the Crusaders.
Speaker 3: Look, it's the title to lose that with the rankings changing, with them having the box that they're in the box seat home advantage. Freezing in christ Church everything set up from just on there. Where the hell was everyone?
Speaker 2: It was freezing.
Speaker 3: There's nobody there, mate, Like did you even care about rugby and cushy cold mate? It was like two degrees literally no one there. Yeah, what very very poor toun out.
Speaker 2: Okay, that stadium is sucks shit for one, and people cannot wait to get them the new stadium. Two They were most likely to have a game the following week three. That reads a huge draw card arrogance four.
Speaker 3: It was just cold, mate, I don't want to hear it's cold, Okay, I get it's cold. It was cold and Hamilton's it.
Speaker 2: Was cold and wheat and raining and there is nowhere more miserable to be than that tin pot stadium.
Speaker 3: Look, I understand that, but it was a terrible look for a quarterfinal match to be played in front of no one man when you've had so much success. Just going back to the Brumbies, there are a live chance the Chiefs need to play more rugby and their confidence will be rocked by that. They blew it thirteen point lead in the second half and they've got this finals yep, yep, yeah hanging over them having lost to was three finals. Really if you go back to Super rugby, alter and a lot of pressure to try and send off CLAYT McMillan in the right fashion, and yeah that was They're very lucky to have to retain a home semi final this week. But the Brumbies, if they played to their best, are a real live chance.
Speaker 2: Indeed, well we'll look forward to that this week in commentary of both on Gold Sport and iHeartRadio. Of course, will take a break here on Rugby Direct. Come back with the second half after this.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a vodcast for real rugby fans.
Speaker 2: Every drive, drive and sixty secondary, tackle to tack, tackles, get up, agaying you before time.
Speaker 4: It's Rugby Direct.
Speaker 2: Lad, You're back with Rugby Direct, powered by Habit Health, tackling all your aches and pains from sport and let's get into the final four four rugby topics. Liam and I discussed debate, et cetera, et cetera. R three sixty A lot of hype coming out of the Northern Hemisphere. Any prospect of this working? This franchise competition that supposedly we've got some of the greats of franchise sport, the NFL owners, the Premier League, the Formula One, they all want a slice of R three sixty. Will we ever see this actually take the field? This sounds a bit Steve Hansen twelve?
Speaker 4: Was it twelve?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The twelves. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, there's lots of these concepts around, but I think the only way this skits off the ground if Mike Tinlkin swindle some royals money because it's literally going to take not small fortune to be able to bankroll it and look as a disruptor as a means to get rugby to think about things differently. It's not the worst concept in the world, but oh, it's pretty close. I cannot see it getting off the ground.
Speaker 2: No, I just don't know where the desire is from this Sevens are battling at the moment. It's very Sevens like concept, and they go around the globe. We're going to bring all the best players in there. Well, the Sevens isn't working. And when you've got no connection, where do the home fans go? You know, take it to Argentina, to take it to Spain, take it to wherever you want. But you need to have home fans and have some supporter base, and a globe trotting franchise league doesn't quite work. Just because you're putting the best players in the world in our team doesn't mean that anyone that you'll have any connection to it or want to see it. And you can see the best players in the world play pretty accessibly in terms of rugby. They go around the globe. That's kind of the basis of what makes rugby union so good as it is a global game and you can go north and see the best players in the world and reverse and come down south. So I know they're more worried about it in the Northern hemisphere than they are seemingly around the Southern hemisphere because they've got a lot of issues around the Premiership and everything like that. You know where some money could be tempted with a lot of those teams in financial difficulty, not saying New Zealand and Super Abay clubs aren't in financial hardship as well, but it seems like something that's driven out of the North that seems more appealing to the North. Just can't see it working. And six R three six is a terrible name. It sounds like you're sitting down on a Monday night to watch Buzz Rothfield and Braith and Astera and the boys to watch them debate that the weekend. That was Yeah, just just don't see it working.
Speaker 3: No, And it's the cash that you need to bank roll that many players, that many teams, the yeah, the global travel, all the rest of it. It's who's funding there, And that was all that. That's the question of all the sort of concepts is who's going to bank roll them and why? So Yeah, I think there's been a bit of interest up north and players signing signaling their interests if it does get off the ground, but that's just them looking after their their you know, their patch and not ruling things out. But very very surprised if this is a fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think from what I understand, it's sort of be taking to World Rugby Council if they wanted. I mean, they could do a rebel league themselves, but you wouldn't have allow players to be playing test rugby. So if they want the players to be playing, it's got to go to World Rugby Council. It needs to be backed by a union, so they've got to find a union to go. This is a great idea, Let's take it to World Rugby Council. Then it needs to be voted in after that. So there's so many hopes to getting this off the ground. Just can't see it happening. Topic number two, the hurricane season. Give us the grade from A to.
Speaker 3: Well, if it's tough, isn't it still still down in the dumps here? And then you're really kicking a man here. Look, they have had a lot of departures in recent years. No Jordie, no Ardie. They barely had a first five for most of the year. Yeah, so that's something like Crusaders from US. Look, I'm going to give them a B plus. Okay, I'm giving them a B. So we're similar. They came into their own towards the end of the season. They had injuries. As you mentioned, they didn't have Ruben Love for the first month and a half roughly of the competition. Brick Cameron was out for a long period of time. They started Riley ho Heepper at ten for a number of weeks.
Speaker 4: Harry Godfrey was very good and then they lost him as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and horn Heeaper is just not the answer. I think they missed a track by moving Ruben Love back to fifteen in those last couple of weeks by instead of putting Brick Cameron. By putting Brick Cameron back in at ten, I would have stuck with Ruben Love. He was the guy in the hot seat, had the hot hands. Bret Cameron's a solid player, but Ruben Love's the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just on that. A couple of.
Speaker 3: Tactical blunders from Love and Callum Hark and kicking the ball away late in the piece in that match. So still a lot to learn from a game management maturity point of view when the game is on the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they miss Kenning Hollow later in the season, I felt as well. Obviously had to move Baalen Sullivan and some of the pieces of the back line around.
Speaker 4: More not there for a lot of the years or Lomax came back later.
Speaker 2: Yes, they had injuries, but it felt like they were gaining momentum and it came to a very sudden stop in Canberra, and again it wasn't in theory supposed to be sudden death. They couldn't quite get this, So block on too twenty twenty six and they'll have Jordy Barrett back for next year as well, which is a positive for you guys.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It is topic number three on the basis of the weekend. If you changed your mind on the Super Rugby playoff format. No, and there's a lot of talk about this wasn't.
Speaker 3: There a lot of acts and it was largely around the lucky loser type concept. But the one frustration that we touched on and talked about was the chief or should the Chiefs lose ever, lose only dropped one ranking position, and for me, that's almost the biggest scrape with it. I think the Chiefs, having lost, should go to fourth to have a guaranteed home semi final and be a lucky loser. That's a double reward. I think in a perfect world the top two teams get.
Speaker 4: The week off. We understand that the broadcasting.
Speaker 3: Financial imperatives behind those decisions to have a full quarter final as such, but to only lose one ranking position I think in the context of what happened at the weekend doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of with you that I think they should slide to last, but also that would have meant the Crusaders now play the Chiefs, and probably not a game the Crusaders would want this week. I mean, the Blue's gonna be tough. A is that they don't get me wrong.
Speaker 4: But don't get a hand pick here. No semi finals.
Speaker 2: But if they slide to the bottom, you're all of a sudden facing the best team in the season, you know, in the second week of the playoffs, rather than potentially in the final. So yeah, I don't think there's a per format when you're refusing to give the top two teams off, you're sort of always going to lose something as a result or be hamstrung by something as a result of that. So yeah, Max feelings still despite perhaps some of the jeopardy that came into the weekend and topic number four not a topic or a debate or anything, but Stu Bawson passing away over the weekends one of those figures that I don't think you or I would have seen live obviously, but a name that probably we knew from a young age broadcaster wise, he was on the TV, commentated a lot of games. You see some highlights maybe from yester year. So he was a real character of the game in New Zealand and very very sad to hear of his passing and at a very young age of seventy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wellington in all Black great in the seventies and eighties. I grew up in a house where Ebonie and Ivory, the book he had with Bernie Fraser was on the mantle piece. And yeah, as you mentioned, not just his feats on the field but off the feel real character, a lot of personality brought that to commentary, very funny and engaging, and I think he had a stint put in his heart in twenty twenty one and actually worked as an orderly in total on the hospital prior to passing away over over the weekend. So yeah, very sad news, and I'm sure they'll be keenly felt by a number of players from his generation. David Campeazy leading the tribute, saying he was cocky and confident and had you know, as sharp as a tack on and off the field. So players of that generation will, yeah, I'm sure rally round and share some memories, surely.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, after I had to think, after dinner speeches and m seeing gigs. He sort of did over the years, very prolific, So very very sad news. Let's get into out tipping. Over the course of the weekend, we both had two out of three. Liam, you picked the Crusaders and Blues, but your Canes you got that pack wrong. I picked the Crusades and Brumbies and got the Chiefs game wrong. So that means I still lead by six points forty nine point five to fifty five five. No toots this week Crusaders Blues Friday Nights.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm gonna have to go with the Blues. Aren't underdogs? Villains, villains, villains, yeah, taking it was kept in America.
Speaker 4: That was the Canes.
Speaker 2: But the Blues Spider Man, spider Man, Yeah, not really a villain, are they. Spiderman's a good guy. Yeah, hey, that could be the Jesseys down there this week. Prob would clash with the Crusaders. That's some sort of villain revival. Can't think of one off the top of my head. So you're going to Blues. I'm going to Crusaders to win that. Chiefs Brumbies Saturday Night seven o five. The Chiefs hot favorite for this one against the Brumbies. You know, the Brumbies go across the Tasman nothing to lose. But I still think the Chiefs will bounce back. Even though you know that game was pretty torrid and they would have taken a bit of a rock to the confidence. I still think the Chiefs will back. So I'm going Crusaders Chiefs one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to the Chiefs too.
Speaker 3: I think I think the Brummy's all get there are real nudge But I'd be surprised of the Chiefs that they have shown this year they're belity to bounce back from a defeat. You think about that lost to the Hurricanes and Wellington Clate mcmellon made them listen to the Hurricanes team song, and.
Speaker 4: God knows what he listened to on the weekend, I can only imagine.
Speaker 3: And they did bounce back emphatically from that defeat, so surely everything to play for, they've got to get up.
Speaker 2: We'll see MVP Metal voting time three two ones. Ardie sav leads by twelve points, Boden Barrett on thirteen points and second and to Marthy Tapa tab naw Way in eleven. Now he can't get any more points. We do continue it during the playoffs. My three two ones, Christian Leo Willie gets my three points. He led the way on the weekend. I think he's right in that all Blacks mix. I think he was second only to Will Jordan for number of carries. He was just everywhere for the Crusaders on the weekend. He gets my three hoskins. The two he gets my two probably has been performed in a tight game. I just thought he led the punch for the Blues in a way we haven't seen. Patrick Tweeple or two gets my one. Boden Barrett probably should have got a point at some point because he outpointed and was out of the match. But that's the three to two. When I went to that certain point in time, I'm gonna go Hoskins for three.
Speaker 3: I thought he was exceptional and I think he has been standing up big time at the back end of the year for the Blues. And it's some of the criticisms of his game where he's actually coming to the fours. It's that combativeness. It's you know, the physical exchanges in defense at the breakdown with ball in hand, he's making real hard meters. So I think he's one of the former loose forwards in this competition really standing up.
Speaker 4: So three to him, two to Fletch Newell.
Speaker 3: I just think he was a massive driving force behind that Crusader's victory. And I'm going to give one to Boden just for his tactical control, clearly out Shawn McKenzie there.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Well, there you go our three two ones of Boden gains a point on Ardie Savia and the rankings moves to fourteen. Another week of three two ones next week, And speaking of next week, we pick he's a bit a homework for a liam Our thirty five Man All Black squad to face France. This will be a last podcast before the squad is announced, So next week on our edition of the podcast, I want you to pick your thirty five names. You can pick it however you like, but I want those thirty five names and I'll do the same.
Speaker 3: You can handle that, won't go with the dog ate my homework excuse and yes we were. The following week after the Super Ugby Final, you know, will be jetting our way to the beautiful Tartanucky Coasts, yes, where the All Black squad will be announced at the Coastal Rugby.
Speaker 2: Club, hopefully ned some interviews and some thoughts and and get the podcast going down there. It'll be busy or game because we're wrapping the the Super Rugby Final between the and the Chiefs. Maybe maybe not Blues Brumbies Blues Chiefs. We'll be wrapping something as well. No, it will not be and that's probably a good note to furnish it on for Rugby Direct for another week. Thanks for our friends that habit health, tackling all your aches and pains from sport and work. Our thanks to the last and Bars English. But we will see you next.
Speaker 1: Week for more from News Talks, ed B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio