Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks DB's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonny Jensen. Yes, I Needa is welcome into Football Fever as we cover off all things A league men's and women's and our national teams. It's a busy old time for football at the moment. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie Jensen is here on about two hours sleep.
Speaker 2: Hello Bonnie, Hey Bunny, how are you? Lots of soccer football, isn't there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot on and we've both been trying to keep our eyes on all of it. You've had some time in Australia, which I know you enjoyed. But I suppose we should, as we normally do, do this chronologically. So let's start with the Wellington Phoenix women who went to Sydney FC and well bottom of the table the sky Blues and a late, late, late goal by Sydney FC. Princess Abanie off the bench and in the eighth minute of at a time scored a goal to give Sydney FC the two to one win. It doesn't it doesn't, you know, put a big hole in Wellington Phoenix's top six answers. But our draw would have been nice. This is all going to come down to the wire, isn't it for the Wellington Phoenix Woman?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I know going into this game. I had actually watched Sydney FC the week prior in Newcastle and I was sure the Phoenix would get up over them, just the way the Phoenix had been playing all season. I looked at the odds as well, and they had the Phoenix as massive underdogs. I thought, surely not based on the two teams current forms. But yeah, it was a real shame for them not to get anything from that game in Sydney, again, given how they've been recently playing, and they kind of did need it in terms of their playoff berth. But in saying that, Piney, yes, you're right that the competition's really close and it doesn't seem to have hurt them too much given the other results.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is still in their hands. It is still in their hands. Even though they are in eighth spot on the table. There are only two points outside the top six and the teams who are sixth and seventh, the Central Coast Mariners and Canberra United. The Phoenix have to play both of them in the next four games, which is the rest of the regular season, so they kind of hold their destiny in their own hands. It makes this coming weekend against the Mariners, it's almost like a cup final, isn't it. The Phoenix on twenty three points the Mariners on twenty five. If the Phoenix were to win that game, and we know they're very very good at home, if they were to win that game, they'd jump above the Mariners, possibly into the top six, depending on the results in the games involving Brisbane and Canberra. But it's almost, as I say, it's almost cup final like before we get to that. The game on the weekends, late goal in the first half put Sydney FC ahead, Mania Elliott drew them level and at the end it felt like they were just just looking to hang on for the point and couldn't quite do it. I don't know. I was quite surprised by Sidney actually. I thought if you didn't know, you wouldn't know that they were in the sort of the bottom part of the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I firstly want to say, I really like the way Meniah Elliott's playing. I think since she's had the last couple of football firms call up, she's you know, maybe grin a little bit standing a little bit taller. She obviously scored that goal, but she had another couple of really really good opportunities. I think. Yeah, that Tiana Jaber read card in the second half kind of you know late in the second half kind of had the Phoenix holding on and that's where they you know, kind of lost formation as you do with a player down, and that's how they go and concede that goal. So yeah, not not ideal, but yeah, as I mentioned before, Sydney FC, it was it was surprising that they came out on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. Yeah, the red card to Towna Jaba with five minutes to go, Yeah, took the nixt down to ten and at that stage I think they would have settled for a point absolutely, But well it's two things really, they've dropped the points over there and Tiana Jaber, who has been a mainstay in their side. We'll also miss the Mariners game. We don't know about the health or otherwise of Mackenzie Bowrie, who had who again didn't feature on the weekend. So if there's no Tiana Jaber and no McKenzie bowrye that's that's a big part of the of the you know, of the defense taken out of a really important game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. That is huge. And if I were the Phoenix just watching that back that red card this morning, If I'm the Phoenix, I'm absolutely contesting it. I don't know how what the success rate of these things are being overturned in the Woman's league, especially without var But yeah, I didn't think that was a second yellow. Just just the way the foul happened, I would be contesting it. Especially with mac Barry out. They're going to need Tianna Jabers. She's been so good and saying that though, you know, like they are really good at home, the Wellington Phoenix and if you know you mentioned a Cup final, it is kind of like that. And if I'm a Phoenix fan living in Wellington this weekend, like you're getting to pott into a park because it is it is a really important game and that filling those stands could make a different.
Speaker 1: I absolutely totally agree. I think the club should do everything it can this week, you know, ahead of this weekend's game, to get as many people along as they possibly can. The men don't have a game because it's the International window. The All Whites play on Friday night and then you know, make a weekend of it all whites on Friday night and then get out to body to a Parker on Saturday afternoon and cheer these women, you know, to what would be a really really crucial three points. I'm just looking at what they would do if there's no Bowie. We know there's no Jaber. Mia McCutcheon could I guess feasibly drop into into a central defensive role alongside Olivia Cally. They've got Zoey mcmeekon, of course, who could play their Lara Walls being good, so they could cobble together a back four. But without Jaber and Bowie, I think it just lose a little bit of that kind of I don't know, and that's probably the wrong word, but a bit of that mongrel, you know, just a bit of that no nonsense defending.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely they are going to have to have a massive reshuffle if they are without them. You know, maybe they'll look at going three at the back. But in saying that, they don't, I guess have their out and out center backs. But definitely one for Paul Temple to be picking his brain on. And you're right, Piney, like there are no men's games this weekend and the Wellington Phoenix men. It might sound harsh, but they're out of their playoff run, you know, like they've not had a great season, and all focus should be on this women's team, that they could make history here by making the playoffs this season and they've had a bloody good run and that they're going to have a bloody good shot at it. So yeah, I think the club should be really really pushing, pushing this marketing and getting people down there.
Speaker 1: Yep, let's hope they get a big crowd on Saturday, and it doesn't take a lot to fill up body to a park. If a couple of thousand turn up, that will be a really intimidating home crowd and away crowd for the Mariners. Paul Temple said after the game he thought they were robbed in terms of the possession. The Knicks had sixty center possession, sixty percent of possession, nineteen shots to nine. Eighteen year old Jasmine Black and gol for Sydney had a ready good game. She made a number of saves. But you know, you can talk about being robbed. I understand the you know, the philosophy, but when you have nineteen shots and you score only one goal. I think you have to look inward, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Paul Temple's kind of you know, made not made excuses, but jumped around their lack of results over and Aussie and I feel like, yeah, they are becoming excuses. And as you say, Piney, they have to look within and they've got to be converting these goals. You know, we've talked about the amount of chances a list of Winhams created this season and not scored many at all. So yeah, they are going to have to flick that switch. And it's they're quickly running out of time.
Speaker 1: The away record just continues to really hamper them, doesn't it. Eleven away games this season, two wins, a drawer, and eight losses. So they just can't find a way. And historically, I know this takes in, you know, the entire life of this football club, but they've had thirty nine away matches, the Phoenix women, and they've won just eight of those, drawn two and lost twenty nine of thirty nine away games. You just got to find a way to pick up points more consistently on the road.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not making excuses for them, but you do have to look at the fact that they are coming from Wellington, which is, you know, away games are naturally harder for the Kiwi teams. I mean, maybe Perth is a so very hard to come from, but in the women's game in particular, they are only part time, and you do have to go back to maybe the resources aren't there and the amount of times, you know, the amount of length they're you know, how far ahead of match day minus one are they flying over the resources as I mentioned, and things like that. So yeah, I wonder if you kind of have to go back to that and maybe that's why it's affecting the Phoenix so much. But in saying that, we can't make excuses and.
Speaker 1: All they can do now is focus forward. They've got four games to go, three of them are at home. The most crucial game I think of all of them as this coming weekend, as I've set a couple of times, so if you're in the region, get down at the pottydo a park when the Wellington Phoenix Women take on the Central Coast Mariners four o'clock Saturday. A win would be a huge boost to their chances of making the top six for the first time. This is football fever. Let's go to the A League Men's and start at go Media Stadium. Yesterday, Auckland FC two the Central Coast Mariners two. A third straight draw for Auckland FC, and for the second time in consecutive home matches they have conceded late, late goals at home to draw and soft goals too. I thought that equalizer yesterday was another soft goal to concede in the ninetieth minute at two one ahead.
Speaker 2: Are they flapping painty?
Speaker 1: No, No, I wouldn't. I would not use that as the adjective. I know we can talk a little bit about whether they are stumbling a little bit, whether they are just having just the odd little shake. I don't think the wheels are coming off. I don't think they're flopping yet, Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they have conceded some very very sloppy goals. And you know, what we talked about for most of the season is how tight their defense has been and the lack of goals they're conceded. You do wonder if they're getting a little bit too complacent. Maybe they're focusing too much on that attacking end, which they struggled with, you know early on. It's kind of now for Auckland, they see that the tables have turned and then they're not really struggling up the attacking end, but down the other end they're conceding these really sloppy goals and it's unlike them. It's uncharacteristic and they're going to need to sharpen it up. But hopefully with Dan Hall back and Nando that will put that puzzle back together.
Speaker 1: There's a selection issue now for Steve Corriker two with Dan Hall back, and he was only supposed to play an hour yesterday, but you know, he played the entire game and had to chat to him afterwards and he said, yeah, I came through akam a bit sore. But he does have a week off now because of the international break. But I think he just showed the quality that he brings to this team. Yes they did concede late, and yes he was on. But when Nando comes back from suspension, which is in the next game three into two, doesn't go Nando, Pineker, Tommy Smith, Dan Hall they can't all play because I you know, he's not going to change the formation. He's not going to drop Sarki or Devrees. So I just wonder whether it's Tommy Smith who doesn't have a chair when the music stops.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, it definitely is Tommy Smith. And I don't think he you know, I think Tommy is wise enough and looks at this team bigger picture to know that he probably is the one going back to the bench, and maybe that's not a bad thing. You know, they are starting to concede these late, sloppy goals, and if we go back to the start of the season, they used to bring Tommy on as the closing you know, to close out these matches. So maybe that's that's what they look to do, and then they bring him on twenty twenty ten minutes to go, and that's what needs to happen. But yeah, you can't not start Dan Hall and you can't not start Nando, can you.
Speaker 1: No? I agree. You know, when they played together for six games at the start of the season, they won all six and conceded one goal in those six games. So look, Dan Hall, if he hadn't broken his ankle, would have continued to play. There's absolutely no doubt about it. So yeah, he is a starter, Nan, that Parniker is a starter, and you're right, boyd I think you know Tommy Smith did a really good job as closer. I don't think he liked the I don't think he liked the job he was handed, but he was experienced enough and wise enough to know that that was his role at that time. Since Dan Hall broke his ankle, he's played every game. But yeah, I get the feeling you're right. I think Steve Coriker will go back to that center back pairing that served him so well in the first six games of the season. Louis Vastrata was suspended yesterday as well after his red card in the last game. So no Nando, no Louis. But I thought the Mariners were really good value in this game. I think they totally deserved a point. Really, they conceded early because you may mind nodding home a really nice cross from Jesse Randall, who's growing into the season just quietly. But the Mariners I think then probably had the better of the game, certainly enough possession, They scored a goals week wise at one all and then call and Elliott off the bench. He is a guy, Kallen Elliott, who has done everything asked of him in whatever role he has been asked to do something. And if you know what I mean, five starts eight off the bench. Whenever he comes on, he makes a difference. Cracking goal he got yesterday just a shame it wasn't the winning goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was awesome. I can't speak more highly of Kallin Elliott. He's like Tommy Smith, I guess, kind of respected his role off the bench and he knows he's never going to start over Hiroki sak when Hiroki's fit. But he's done a job and if he's not scoring cracker goals like he did on the weekend, he's you know, contributing really really nicely to the team. And yeah, I think he hasn't been hard done by. But it is tough for him because, you know, put him down in the Wellington Phoenix. If he went back there, he'd be starting every game, you know. So yeah, it is tricky for him, but good on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it speaks a lot about his mentality that he's just willing to do whatever. He's had a pretty tough last couple of years. He's hardly kicked a ball after he left the Phoenix and what are still slightly murky circumstances around why he left, what deal he was offered what deal he you know, he wanted all that sort of stuff. He went away, didn't play for anybody, has come back to Walkland FC, and I think resurrected his career. He's got to be he's got to be close to that backup right back spot on the All Whites. I think as well, even though he's not playing regularly, that Stormroo's got that role at the moment. But I think if Callum continues to play their way he is and there's nothing to suggest that he won't. I think he's he's got to be back and Darren Baisley's plans for hopefully the World Cup next year. Anyway, Aaron has came in without a winning seven games, but they were worth their point. They were well worth their point. So like you look at the table now and Western United straight away after this game beat the Newcastle Jets six two crazy, four points behind. They do have one more game played, so Auckland FC got a game in hands. But I don't know, are you starting to look over your shoulder a little bit nervously if you're Steve Corriker.
Speaker 2: Well you do wonder Piney you mentioned, you know Central Coast They deserved a point. They played really well, got up for the occasion. You wonder if Auckland f C let them do that. You know, why are they dropping points to teams like the Mariners, like Newcastle the week before, so much lower than them down on the table. So it is a little bit concerning. I don't think they have played their best football the last couple of weeks Auckland f C. I think they should be worried. At the same time, maybe it's the perfect timing for it. You know, they're all but guaranteed to spot in the playoffs. They need to have these little hurdles so they can learn from it and play the best foot will save the best football for that knockout stage.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I think these late goals have done is taken away a sense of unbeatability. That's not a word, but I hope you get the gist of Auckland at home. I think teams used to think in the first half of the season, we're not going to get anything going to Auckland. Now, Adelaide have come back from two knil down, three one down and four three down to get a point. The Mariners have come from one kneel down and two one down to get a point. If we go forward to finals football, which we almost certainly will have in Auckland, if a team goes one kneel down against Auckland FC, no longer will they think, you know what, we can't get back into this game, because there is now a demonstration, more than one demonstration of teams who have done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Painey. You know it's given other teams hope that they can can get up over Auckland and saying that may maybe it's kind of keeping keeping these these teams guessing. And I guess you do have to look at it trying to be optimistic, saying, you know, Auckland f C can learn from this, and they have been still very impressive at home. And I remember what Steve Coraker said early on in the season. You know you can't win them all. And I don't think you know any team has gone unbeaten at home for a whole season. So yeah, maybe it is just a little hurd I hope.
Speaker 1: Have you seen what the last game of the season is, the last game of the regular season for Auckland f C.
Speaker 2: No tell me Painty.
Speaker 1: Away at Western United. Oh No, So look if Western United can stay in touch and Western United's next four games. They've got Perth Glory at home, should win that. They go to the Wanderers, that's tough. They go to Brisbane, should win that. They've got Sydney FC at home, should probably win that. If Western United keep on playing the way they are, then they could well welcome Auckland f C to wherever that what's the name of their home grounds aren't eat Iron Park Fields and tarneat the wind swept Tarny on that last day and being with the chance of taking it. Because you look at Auckland's remaining games by comparison, They're away at Prisbon. Should win that, but then the Western Sydney Wanderers, Sydney FC Melbourne victory. They've got Perth at home, you know the way Perth game, they should win that. Okay, but you know what I mean, there are games in there that aren't foregone conclusions. When there's only a four point gap. Look, I still think Auckland FC have enough to win the Premiers played. I think if they win their game in hand and go seven points clear that that's tough for any team to pull back. But where you know, a month ago we were just about ready to give it to them. Now there's just a little shred shred of doubt about it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And do you know what I'm worried about? Party? I mean, you can't live in fear, but I am a little bit worried about this upcoming all that's window with so many of New Yorkland f Sea boys in that camp, and you just hate for one of them to get injured. But anyway, I'm not going to JINKXE, but I do think Party we should arrange a football feed a trip to that Western United game.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go to tarnit? I'm Barkfields.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to the boss when I get out of this podcast, and I'm going to arrange this trip for us.
Speaker 1: How could Western United be in LA? You know, he's a team that hasn't really done that well last couple of seasons. I really like John Elouisi. I really like him just he seems like just a good football man. And to see his Western United side, you know, they went to Newcastle who they were seven unbeaten, and they thought, bugger, that will put six past them.
Speaker 2: And I watched Newcastle the week before against Auckland f C and in Newcastle, and I'm really impressed with the way they're playing. I did not expect that result and yeah, I message you planning, I'm quite scared of this Western United team. Good on them. I mean they beat Auckland four. Now, remember like obviously they went and Auckland f C responded to that. But they are they are proving they can get up for these big matches and kind of flick a switch like Auckland f C can do, I guess, and put a lot past another team.
Speaker 1: It's a great point because if they had to come to you know, to go Media stadium, they have no fear. I'll just say, la, last time we were here we won four. Now, so yeah, it'll be different of course in finals football because they may well meet in the finals. You know. It's it's such a it's a really interesting table and just just bring it up here. Now. Auckland FC, like I say, with a four point lead over Western United thirty eight, but then Western Sydney Wanderers thirty four, Melbourne City thirty four, Melbourne Victory thirty three, Adelaide United thirty three, Sydney FC thirty and there's seventh and then a couple of points back to MacArthur, who I just don't see making it in Newcastle, and then the rest. So from from two down to seven, those those six teams are separated by just eight points. A lot of them had to play one another, you know, jockeying for position. Like I thought Adelaide United were going to be Auckland's closest challenges. They're sixth, you know they've got They've dropped down to sixth now, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, it is. It is crazy. I'm trying to think who you'd want to play in a playoff semi final. But maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves here. It's too far away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is too far away. Let's just look forward to what is next for Auckland FC, the international break where they can lick their wounds and make some plans and guys like Dan Hall and others can rest up and get ready. They face Brisbane raw away on March thirtieth. That is a Sunday night. So Brisbane are starting to find a little bit of form. They've been terrible for most of the year, but they beat Perth on the weekend and I think for the first time all season are off the bottom of the ladder, Auckland f C would still expect to go there and win the game, but that is the next assignment. And as you say, Bonnie, I'm sure Steve Coricker will be hoping that there's no injuries that come from the six players that he's sending off into the All Whites today football fever. And so to the Wellington Phoenix men who had a very rare Sunday night game. It was a nine o'clock kickoff on Sunday evening last night and got a one old draw Sydney FC to break a four game losing streak. After seven minutes, I thought to myself, this is going a very familiar way, Adrian segacicic scoring. It looked like same old, same old. But then I actually thought the Wellington Phoenix grew into the game and played probably as well as they have for a long long time. Cost of barbarusis with a goal, great pass from Chico Geraldes. Flag went up but overturned and then they kind of, you know, they held on. They didn't have much of the possession of the second half. Josh all Away Emmy back into goal with LB Kelly healed suffering a shoulder injury. Thought Josh had a good game, made some big saves. Got to be a confidence boost for the Phoenix after four straight losses.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I was flying out of Brisbane so didn't get to watch the game, but yeah, it was stoked for the Knicks. It's definitely a point they need, and to do it against a team like Sydney, you know, over and Sydney is really reassuring. The fact that what I'm looking at the stats now positions seventy three to twenty seven. The fact that the Phoenix were able to hold on is pretty as you know, a relief for them and must be a confidence booster, as you say, Piney, and I feel like Costa as well. He needed something. He's been in a bit of a scoring drought this season. I'm not sure we can put all of that that blame on him, you know, it's the lack of support underneath him. But he's got to take some confidence from that. Is he's kind of you know, pushing to secure a starting All White spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, six games without a goal, so that that is a drought by his standards. Over the last two seasons, he's been prolific hasn't he so so yeah, to not score in half a dozen games, during which time in those those six games, Wellington only scored three goals total. So yeah, Costa getting on the scorse get nice finished too in a really nice pass from Geraldes as I say, so, yeah, just kind of steadies the shipper. But I think, as you say, the Phoenix aren't going to make the top six. I think even the most optimistic of Phoenix fans would accept that they can can't make up a thirteen point gap in the space of six games to get themselves into the six. But what they can do is finish the season with you know, with a bit of credit in the bank. Again, goal scoring is just a problem. That shot that Costa had was the only one on target for the Phoenix. Last night Sydney had twenty one shots to Wellington's four, so they continued to be outplayed in those metrics. But it was a step in the right direction. I think, you know, to get a point to stop the flow of losses, and they can now take a week off as well with the international break and look forward to finishing the season, you know, in a positive frame of mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I do want to point out the Yellow Fever again, who were there in full force and numbers on Sydney watching back the highlights this morning, and I was so impressed with the amount that traveled over. Obviously the women also played in Sydney, so maybe that was part of it. Killing two birds. But Harrison, I went to the Auckland f C game, as I mentioned in Newcastle the week before. I think there were four fans for Auckland f C fans so including me. So yeah, I was impressed by that. And I am really impressed that the Yellow Fever is sticking by the Knicks because I'm again looking very far forward. But I'm confident and optimistic about next season given the amount of opportunities these young players have been given by chief.
Speaker 1: Ye. I guess you have to give Auckland FC the chance to build a fan base, don't. You'd have only just arrived really, Whereas you know, the Phoenix have been around for eighteen years and in fact Yellow Fever celebrated their eighteenth birthday on the weekend on Saturday night watching the Wellington Phoenix women's game, which was I'm sure a bit of a dampner right near the end, but yeah, no, I think I think over the years ahead, Auckland f C will start to build a traveling fan base. The only downside, or one of the downsides from the Phoenix game Alex Rufe picked up a yellow card late on, but of a silly one too, kind of got in a skirmish with Ryan Grant. The game kind of lost a bit of shape near the end and it just got a bit sort of niggly, and Alex Rufer got a yellow card, which is now five yellow cards for him, so he's going to miss the next game, which is a home clash against the Western Sydney Wanderers. A real shame that Alex Rufer, having missed a lot of the season anyway with illness, is now and that was the last game he had to not get one before the threshold goes up twenty games. After twenty games, the threshold goes from five yellow cards to eight yellow cards. So all he had to do was get through yesterday and in the eighty fifth minute he got a yellow card which ruled him out of the next game, which is such a shame anyway. That's by the bye. Final word on the A League over the weekend. Thirty three goals across the six games that we saw in the A League over the weekend, which is a record for a single round of A league men's football. So plenty of entertainment in the A League mens across the weekend football for football fever, Let's go to our national sides, the All Whites. The final for the World Cup next year starts on Friday night. They take on Fiji at Sky Stadium at seven o'clock. Tahiti against New Caledonia in the early game at three, the winners playing the final at Eden Park on Monday night. The winner of that goes to the World Cup next year. The All Whites should do this comfortably, shouldn't they?
Speaker 2: You hope?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: But yeah, Like I'm just looking at the squad now and it's so it's so strong, Like I'm so excited for the All Whites if they are to make this World Cup and you know how even more experience I'll be. And I was chatting to a mate over the weekend after watching Franny Francis Devreese put more and more balls into the box for Auckland f and I'm just so excited to see him deliver them into Chris Wood.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think a lot of people are looking forward to seeing something like that. I look, I must be honest, I'm not sure Francis de Breeze is going to get a game.
Speaker 2: I think that would be so silly though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I I just feel as though Darren Baisley is just going to leave nothing to chance here. He's just going to name his strongest site. And while Franny's been playing well in the A League, he's no Libby Cacacci. I just feel as though Darren Baseley is going to name his strongest team and at the moment, Francis Devrees isn't in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see maybe maybe halftime swap.
Speaker 1: Well potentially that's what they may do. Look if they if they're three or four Nilla head maybe or the other thing they could do. And I think we've mentioned this is EMPELI have been playing Libby Cacatchi in an advanced position, you know, higher up on the left, so he could I suppose play play Devrees at left back and Libby further forward. But you know, then you're leaving out a guy like Eli just who's played more for the Whites in the last year than anybody else. So I kind of feel as though, you know, Darren Baisley is a very very loyal coach, which makes his selections interesting in a couple of areas. What's he going to do in goal? For example, by you know, Alex Paulson is continuing to mount a pretty good case, but Max Crokum is still the number one, number one in the eyes of Darren Basley, or has been up until the most recent window.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think he won't play Alex Paulson. He's proven that he's quite loyal to Croakim and as you say, won't leave anything to chance. But I kind of feel like, by you know, I don't think playing Franny or Francis, sorry I keep calling him by his nickname, playing Francis or playing Alex Paulson is leaving it to chance. You know, I think both of them arguably are good enough for the starting eleven, and you do want your eleven best players on the field, so it will be interesting. I do like the kind of suspense that they're not knowing. It's great that there's a competition, and yeah, it's going to be it's going to be exciting to watch and I hope there's a lot of goals. But equally, it would be great to see these these other Oceanian nations kind of get up for the occasion as well.
Speaker 1: Which I think they will. Fiji unfortunately don't have Roy Krushner, which you know, he was the one guy who could really have troubled New Zealand. Even at the age of what is he now, Roy about thirty five thirty six, still runs around like a twenty three year old, but is injured and can't play this game, which is such a shame for Fiji. I get the feeling that they will park a big bus in front of their goal on Friday night and you know, and just try for as long as they can to keep the game at nilall. Now that's a tactic that works while it is nil all. But if the All Whites were to score a goal and you know, or whinever in the game. But let's say they scored a goal or a couple in the first half, then Fiji have to chase the game. And I'm not sure that they have the ability to really trouble in New Zealand. So it might be a bit of a tough watch initially on Friday nights, as Fiji do all they can to you know, to try and keep the all Whites at bay. But New Zealand will be ready for that. I flew back from Walkland this morning, myself and the coaching staff were all were all on the same flight as me, all on their laptops, Bonnie. I don't know what they were doing, whether they were watching Netflix or whether they were doing tactical analysis. But they are leaving nothing to chance. You know. Yes, they should, on the face of things, win these two games comfortably, and I hope they do, but they're leaving nothing to chance.
Speaker 2: I think they'll take a lot of confidence in the fact the games are in New Zealand. You know, it's a whole different story going over to Fiji or to another one of the islands to play over there. So yeah, that absolute the favorites. There's no reason they should be losing any of these games. They should walk into into the World Cup pretty easily. However, what when was it twenty eleven or something when Fiji got got and over them.
Speaker 1: Fiji haven't beaten them for a while, but there was the horror and Honiara in twenty twelve where New Zealand didn't win the of Nations Cup, which was a bit of a low point. Fiji haven't beat in New Zealand for a while, but they have done it. Glenn Moss got sent off. I think the last time that that Fiji beat the All Whites in two thousand and eight. I think it was I know this because Jacob Spoony came on for Glenn Moss when he got sent off. Roy Christner got a couple of goals that day in Fiji won two nil. Look, I don't see anything like that happening. I honestly believe that this should be pretty comfortable for New Zealand. Again, all they have to do is win the two games. But but as you say, Bonnie, when you look at the squad, they, if I'm honest, you could pick the second eleven from that squad and they should still do it comfortably.
Speaker 2: They shoulder. I'm just really excited for the footy. I yeah, I hope you know, just the way of you know, the way currently Chris Wood's playing the Auckland f C Boys, the other you know, the likes of Libby and Elijah, Elijah justin playing like all that is really really exciting.
Speaker 1: The other thing that Darren Baseley was doing this morning when I saw him at the airport, was checking in on the health of some of his players who had played overnight, because that's the other thing they can't control, is because these guys all played over the weekend in their various club competitions, and you know, if they get injured or picked up a knock, they wouldn't be on the plane. But he confirmed to me that everybody had come through. Okay, he's expecting everybody to arrive. The last of them are late late on Tuesday, so the first time they'll be together as a complete squad is Wednesday. The game is Friday night, and then they're jumping on a charter flight after the game on Friday. They're not going to overnight it in Wellington. They're going to get on a charter, which I think will be what if the game kicks off at seven, they wouldn't be out to the airport to what ten ten thirty, So a charter, but it means they get to walkland late on Friday night, they can wake up in Auckland on Saturday, have the whole weekend and Monday to prepare for the finals. So I don't mind it that there's a bit of extra resource going in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to it as well. Just before you're coming up, painting coming up. Yes, I'll be there. I'll be there on Friday night in Wellington and i'll be there on Monday night at Eden Park, So looking forward to that. Just before we go, the football Ferns have a game coming up against Chinese Taipei in early April Tuesday the eighth, so about a month or so away. The squad that's been named has two new Caps, Adelaide United goalkeeper Claudia Jenkins and University of Denver goalkeeper Alena Santos. I have not heard of Alena Santos.
Speaker 2: I have not heard of either of them until Claudia Jenkins the switch from Adelaide Adelaide it was or she plays for Adelaide Rights at Adelaide that reason, So I hadn't heard of either of them until that news broke.
Speaker 1: I have to say though, because we've been talking about how goalkeeper is a bit of a problem depth wise for New Zealand when we've got vic Essen obviously anelite without a club at the moment. Brianna Redwoods, Georgia Candy or Jo Candy came in for the last one. Maybe they've just seen out like a you know, a bunch of carrier pigeons to all parts of the world saying are you a goalkeeper and do you qualify to play for New Zealand and a leader sentos are sent back a message saying I am and I'd be keen to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe it is interesting. I do still you know, hope or you know, believe that an elite will still be the number one, looking forward to that twenty twenty seven World Cup and saying that, you know, we don't know anything about these these goalkeepers other than the fact that Claudia Jenkins I believe has helped Adelaide and the Woman's A League to quite a good run and they're kind of the next best under Melbourne City. So yeah, it will be interesting to see how these new goalkeepers go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she started every game, so you have to say, well, if you're looking for somebody who has started every game and you know, or somebody who's playing regularly and I think that's a big, a big part of it, then you and you're right currently third in the A League Women's with a good goal difference, just behind the two Melbourne clubs, so we'll probably play finals. So yeah, good to have some some fresh faces in there. Also already pleased to see Grace Swishnski back in there. She's playing in the United States at the moment, hasn't been part of a national side for a while, had that ACL injury that she had to recover from. So yeah, I think Michael Maine is just kind of giving different players a go, isn't he. It even says that in the in the press release that was sent out, it says the changes to the squad that faced Costa Rica reflect a continued drive to examine more players in the environment to build depth across the pitch aid of the next Women's World Cup cycle. So I for that, you know, even for stating that rationale, I don't mind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for stating that, I think that's good this time around. And maybe they've done that because he copped a bit of a bit of slack from from the last squad he named and amissing who was at c J Bot, Rebecca Stett and Katie Bowen kind of with no reason attached to it. So this time the fact that he's labeled it that is positive. I hope that he's reassuring those players that you know, he still sees them in the future and sees them heading into this next cycle, but he knows enough about them because I feel like those those three players, or at least CJ. Bott and Katie Bowen, deserve and absolutely need to be in the mix.
Speaker 1: I think Stottie as well. I think she's still got a lot to offer as well. I think all three. I see Mascy Fraser has dropped out of the squad. The players have dropped out again. Reading from the press release says haven't been selected due to injury, managing playing time, and a desire to test other players. I would have liked to see Macy beck and you sent me a message yesterday she started for Utah. You said she looked a lot happier in herself, and I feel like Macy Fras is somebody who should be part of every Foon squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think so as well, especially that you know she's starting to build confidence back under under Michael Maine and back at back at Utah. So I would have liked to have seen her there. But maybe it is one of those things that she's just easing back into it and not overloading her commitments to kind of cause you know, a burnout or you know those injuries she faced late last year and ruled her out from football completely. So I yeah, I hope that's that's what that's about. Or maybe Michael Maine sees her as I know enough about her, she's a solid in this in this roster and not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'll look for somebody else. That's a that's a good point. Just yeah. Obviously, the combination with Maya harn that led to that goal against Costa RecA was was already cold and I hope we get the chance to see that again at some stage in future squads. Okay, Bonnie, Well, that's us for today. Heaps to talk and heeps to look forward to. So Friday night All Whites against Fiji and Wellington Saturday afternoon it is the Wellington Phoenix woman and I'm going to call it a must win game against the Mariners at Potty Or Park four o'clock. And then Monday night at Eden Park the All Whites with the final push we hope towards the World Cup in twenty twenty six. So might we might delay football fever by a day? Come to your next Tuesday with the with the result of that, the women's game and other football matters. Does it fit with your very busy work life and travel schedule.
Speaker 2: Yes it does. Party, and It's actually my birthday on Monday, so I'm probably going to go to the All Whites for my birthday party, so that's really cool for me.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, I have a chat to the commentators and see if they can give you a shout out on your birth on your twenty first birthday, look forward to look forward to that, and look forward to chatting to you the day after that birthday next Tuesday. It works for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Budie.
Speaker 1: This is football Fever.