Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk set B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take It's trick. It is out, The Test is over. Good smoke, beauty, it is out.
Speaker 3: Here he goes. This delivery has in many uses.
Speaker 4: People on the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello, time to get on the front foot once again. The squad for England and Ireland the Test matches has been released. Surprises some players not able to go for family reasons, not like it used to be, and the White Perons prepare for the World Pea Cootie Championship of the Series against England. This gracious media, it's all happening overseas. Jeremy Canney, you're heading off that way and you'll be able to read the sort of stuff that Peter Hollin's been reading, because you know what we talked about last week in terms of the subs, Well, he's been reading highbrow papers and he's come up with a little piece that somebody has written about the substitute and I'll just have a look at it. It's exactly what we were saying, I'm not sure that the injury subs rule is right for the county game. Teams are already gaming the system and replacing players due to illness. We could see that coming, couldn't we. Archie Vaughan was flaying the bowling and he was the thirteenth man for Somerset, and the writer says, must be the first instance of a thirteenth man winning a county championship match. We're going to see more of those, aren't we. We're going to see more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the issue with the different the problems about like for like, isn't it? And how serious is a soft tishoe injury? You don't quite know? You mentioned about, you know, a broken bone, and it is it is. It's unfortunate when those things happen, but that's the game.
Speaker 6: Those are the game. You know the rules of the game. And I prefer to have it eleven versus eleven. As I said last week.
Speaker 3: I'm surprising it so much time to read most Peter Holland with us again. You've got all that time to read such high.
Speaker 7: Brow Well, that's right, and I'm coming to you from the the the delightful Australian Club here in Melbourne at this moment where where the people here. Lovely Louise who runs the show kind of has put up with me for the last few days, so it gives me time to do a bit of reading and improvement vocabulary. Brian that articles that articles by Rod Alter, and I think rites for the Times, but in this particular one it was he pinched hits from time to time, and the other newspaper that I read he writes.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah he's under he's under contract, so he's sort of playing a T twenty league as he was another newspaper.
Speaker 7: I think I like his observations put it that way, but I just I just think that was a great example of it's seemingly getting a little a little bit ridiculous and being gained and and it's really not as the game was set up, as Jerry pointed out last week. But we'll see more of it, no doubt exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, we've did our best to pick the team Jerry for England. We weren't sort of counting on injuries and birthing units coming into proceedings. But the honest Jacob Duffy, I think as part of the side him and his wife expecting their first child. Michael Bracewell has expressed his desire to step back from Test cricket and focus his time on his young family and limited overs cricket. So it's priorities and money now, because he could have focused on the Test matches and not gone to Pakistan or played short form cricket, I suppose, But yeah, that's the way of the game now, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is words. We are going to miss Duffy.
Speaker 5: I think over there Paul swing it away decent pace, would enjoy the Duke's ball I think.
Speaker 6: Gets decent bounce, so he can also use a short ball.
Speaker 5: He's also durable and he can bowl long spells are required, and I think that's where the loss will be felt too, especially if O'Rourke and Jamison are in the bowling attack and returning from stress fractures and haven't played Test cricket for a while and don't know quite how many overs they can bowl in a spell let alone for a day, So I think you know he's going to be missed and someone has to bowl those overs. A centener of course had an injury, didn't he, But in the hand he runs at number seven or eight, and you know, and the calmness he brings when it gets a bit tough. And he seems in the last couple of seasons to be able to know how to take Test wickets now. But Bracewell's the one, isn't it choosing choosing the franchise game. I don't know what you guys think about that. I personally, I'm not convinced New Zealand have used him as they might because I feel certainly in Red Bull cricket, you know, if you imagine that side and it also brings in Nichols ahead of Young, doesn't it If Nichols, that's say Blundle doesn't go well or something like that and has to move down because he's the only keeper there. Really, I don't know whether Latham, if he has to keep, does he open. See there's a whole lot of little issues that start to emerge.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: If Nichols bats at six, that's four left handers in the top six and right arm bowlers for England will come around the wicket. They're more accustomed to it, they're getting better at it, and they of course have three in the top six will have be left handed as well. That means our bowlers will be doing the same. There'll be more footmarks and an off spinner like Bracewell who turns the ball and brings the stumps back into play from outside the off stump later in the Test match would be very, very useful. I think in my opinion, he's you know, we've continually gone for these batsmen who bowl a bit. Took his uncle John some time to get time, didn't it really in the team? And then he won a game at Eden Park against Australia for US. He won a Test match in eighty eight. Wasn't it was you there in India? He bowled India out. So you know, I just think, know turn and dip and drift, it's hard to play and brace will I thought had those abilities. I wondered whether we could have assisted them a bit more. He's also shown that he's a good hands in the field short cover or slip. He can battle. We But I just is coming into leadership with the with the you know, the white ball. Now thirty five two kids going for the cash. That's a and that's we can't there's no judgment about that. It's just a shame that we've lost someone like that.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, well, we've got the likes of aj S. Patel is bowling for Leicestershire in England at the moment, you know, so he's an out and out spinner. We've taken spinners on a tours. Lennox has been there, We've had other places, but we don't seem to have the faith to select them or use them, do we.
Speaker 7: I was going to observe that that I was playing in England at the moment, and that may well be something of a standby for four years. You live and things go a little bit pair shape for them. But in last week's podcast, I think I somewhat labored the point that I thought Bracewell would be a very useful addition to the squad, but clearly he doesn't listen to the podcast and being convinced by the arguments put by us.
Speaker 6: But so be it.
Speaker 7: I'm just on jury's observation around Duffy thinking about this and thinking he was quite a while before he actually got into the New Zealand framework and developed himself and improved over time. And now I would have thought one of the greatest opportunities you can have is to run out and bowl let Lord's in early June, and he's going to be stuck back in the depths of New zeal And, went to in Dneed and with a young baby.
Speaker 6: I'm going, oh, I.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't have worked all my life trying to make me the good bowler that I am, and all of a sudden I'm giving that up. But such as life these days. But I just think he must. It must be a bit turn, I think, because surely there is nothing better. And Jerry, you've done it. Yeah, you walk out of Lords through the long room there. Yeah, that's that's just one of crickets great experiences. So I wonder how he actually thinks about that. But I'm sure he'll be very good at Nappy's and all of those good things. Yeah, but we also in that in the balance that squad worries me, but quite a few quicks, a lot of quicks, and really one better, which is Phillips.
Speaker 5: Well, really, guys, we haven't got This is a squad and a team without a front line spinner.
Speaker 7: Well that's kind of where I was leading to, Jerry.
Speaker 5: You revenge, not rather, that's not being disrespectful to revenge. Philip Boxcraft it's just look, they could play four seemers. New Zealand could go into the side with no spinner at all, which I think would be a mistake. The game is five days long, not two days, not three days, so I think you should always go in with the front line spinner if you can.
Speaker 6: So we are going to have do we do that? We're going to pile in the.
Speaker 5: Batsman and I don't know quite how we replace the Duffy factor. I mean, I'm assuming Henry would be say nine fellas, and I'm assuming that O'Rourke would play because of you know, he's a dangerous bowler. But who who's going at say ten and eight? Seven would be say Phillips, A Blundle is six. I mean most of the time it's Lathon Conway, Williamson, Revendra, Mitchell Blundell. That's how it's been for the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: And so he's six.
Speaker 5: Seven would be Phillips presumably that's how it's been set up.
Speaker 6: But who goes eight?
Speaker 5: See here's the issue, nice tall bowler Jamison. Then you get Jamison and O'Rourke together. A few little questions, aren't they?
Speaker 6: You just don't know. Then we come back to.
Speaker 3: Well, they've got the situation with Smith. They obviously want him to be an all rounder and one who can back, but he still hasn't cemented that role yet. Has he workman like sort of player? And he might well be your fourth Seema quite clearly. Rob Walter and his selection team are going for pace. They're going for bounce, tall players. You know, they've got a truckload of fast bowlers there. I mean, think of the brains trust they've got in the dressing room. They've got folks Jamison and then they're going to have Michael Ray somewhere around. He's going to be playing an island. I'll bet he stays over in case's a test chance. Tickner's there and Zach Fuchs, Christian Clark is over there for Ireland. Ben Sears is going to be a traveling reserve number sixteen. So they're keeping everybody close by, aren't they in terms of their pace attack, So that's what they're going with in terms of putting pressure on Moose.
Speaker 7: Well, look they are, and I'm glad see this is there because I don't think that you can beat raw pace. And unfortunately we haven't seen as much as much of him as we would have liked due to injuries, but he's certainly shown something and I think they are taking some insurance with them if you like you've when he's a traveling reserve because his point, two of our bowlers are coming back from considerable and significant injuries back injuries and really have have they got the overs into their legs? So you know, will they be able to play all three Tests? Say that's that's a Rourke and Jamison. Perhaps they've got to rotate them a bit in order to yet not not have them breaking down. So there are some real real question match and and I agree with you Jery aside with four seemers and maybe an arounder, it lacks balance to me from what I can observe, the summer in England has been pretty good, so the wickets come day four, Day five are probably going to take a bit of turn. I would have thought I could be wrong there, but yeah, I like the fact they've got real pace, but I hard of me also says that the squad has lacks balance around the absence of a genuine spider and we'll find out.
Speaker 5: I suppose Wadd's the other thing I'd like to mention just briefly Nichols ahead of Young just quickly Young thirty three, Nichols thirty four, about the same age. Twenty three tests for Young, fifty eight for Nichols average thirty two, Young average thirty nine. Different types of players, of course, batting in different places, fielding both both okay, not specialists, not in the slipper and the gully close and both have played in England a bit, neither of them bold. But I just wonder as a backup batsman, because that's really what we're talking about there, I think in England, so you're trying to second guess where the problems might occur, where there may be, potential failures may be and you have to bring somebody in or an injury whatever. At the top, you've got Lathan Conway Williamson and you've got Ravendra Mitchell Blundle through the middle. Now I would have thought in June and England with the Duke's ball, the English bol as archer tongue definites Atkinson, Stokes or Robinson is starting to come into the thing again.
Speaker 6: He's a tall kind of Chris Wokes if you like.
Speaker 5: They may not pick a spinner either, I don't know, but Look, I just feel Young has bettered thirty five times at opening, Nichols hasn't opened. If the problem is at opening and coon Way for example, maybe who knows. No one wants this to face these problems. But Young would be better than in that case, wouldn't he?
Speaker 6: For me?
Speaker 5: He would be more accustomed to it. He's played in England more recently than Nichols hats. Nichols has never opened. He's battered four times at number three, and twice of them against Zimbabwe Bulawere. So I just feel if it's down in the middle order, sure they would change it. Ravendra Mitchell Blundled. If Blundle isn't isn't scoring ones, wouldn't they just drop him down to seven rather than six and and.
Speaker 6: Keep him as the keeper.
Speaker 5: I just feel that there's a question mark. Now what do you do about Australia when you've got Thummons and Stank and Hazelwood and Boland.
Speaker 6: Are you going to go with Nichols?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The end result with Blundele, of course, is there. His first job was keeping, isn't it You want? You want batting, but he's got to do the keeping job. And so you know, uh, one place down the order wouldn't be a big problem for him. Is it a bit too early to start worrying about Australia. We've got India coming here before Australia. But we've got to have those players.
Speaker 5: Delivering, don't we wasn't a big point, just a just a sort of a thing for the future, and so you're not continually swapping. And I just feel it's easier if you're an opener to back down in the middle order. You love it and actually you're probably coming in with the second new ball if your team's done anything decent and then you're able to handle it, okay, So I I just had a few little questions. I think it's a weaker squad then we selected, you know, a week or so ago, when we didn't know these things about injury and babies and the money.
Speaker 6: We're going to come into play.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing of course about Opening, the future of Opening is obviously around the likes of Marriyu Heafy and those players. Nick Kelly has just signed a contract to play for Leicestershire now. He's early thirty, so he's been around the scene for a while. I just wonder at the Foxcroft selection because he is a talented short form player to my mind, doesn't feature as a Test match player in my thinking. But he bowls offspin. Is that what he's being picked for? To add a little bit offspin if they needed because that place could have gone to Mario or if he couldn't it In terms of a development player, I know you don't pick development players, but that's what you've done with Foxcroft.
Speaker 7: Well, that's true, and I think we did touch on the possible weaknesses of Conway concerns. We hope for the best, but his form of the last couple of years hasn't really been what he would have wanted nor us and I would have liked to have seen the likes of Mario. But it looks like Nichols gets the nod because he scored it pretty domestic cricket.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the other thing, the other point is what sort of cricketers Kane Williams has been playing? Will he be ready for Test match cricket? Has he been betting long and he's something to do with one of the IPL sides, But he hasn't had any real cricket, has he He might have had hats, he might have had chort form, but is he ready to take on a Test match at Laws, and I don't want to downplay his role. I mean, he's one of our great players. But you've still got to get ready, don't you. You've still got to prepare. It's like the days when we went to England and the likes of Trent Bolton and Saudi just arrived on the plane from India and went straight into a Test match and we sometimes weren't quite ready until about day four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good point. I mean it's a little bit like Stokes too. Stokes does not play for Durham. He's had something like about six games and four years for his counting.
Speaker 6: He really just has nets and tests.
Speaker 5: And that's what you're describing about Williamson. Now lose the rhythm of batting. You lose the rhythm of standing at the non strikers, in running quick singles, getting into your crease again, taking looking through those top two inches between the hell helmot and the peak, you know, and just getting into the rhythm of scoring loads of runs.
Speaker 6: Now he's scored loads of runs and it won't.
Speaker 5: Take him quite so long, but it still is something that he is missing of actually playing games.
Speaker 6: It's a worthy point.
Speaker 7: You have to back him in on the base of class, and that's what they're clearly doing. And he has had a fair amount of experience in English conditions. I think he's played for Middle six most recently, maybe that was last year. But you're right, Jerry, there's no warm up games apart from the match against Ireland, and that's not fair on Island to say that's that's a warm up match because it's actually a test, isn't it? So is that sufficient day's gone by, you'd have had a few counter games, correct, But that I get the benefit of that anymore? Was the pity because they're not playing the ip O. Of course a lot of them are, but I think sheer class should come through. But there are some vulnera buies in there, aren't there. But the other part is I actually am looking quite quite looking forward to this and Jerry, I'm heading back home on the fourth from out of London. I might just stay on a couple of days perhaps and watch a few first a few days of the text match.
Speaker 3: World tourists got okay, well, it just gives a call in the middle of the night too, will you.
Speaker 5: After a day at Lord's Moose that would be good. The moose I and and the praying mentors.
Speaker 6: Everyone for me, Oh yeah, I'm feeling sorry.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll look at this a little bit more closely, just to confirm that the English and whatever they call themselves, the TCB or the County Board whatever, having the same issues administration. They I've been looking for a new selector to replace Luke Wright, who resigned from the role on the twenty second of January, and they still haven't replaced somebody. And they're naming their test match squad in a couple of weeks time. You'd have to wonder how they're going to go about. Is that just on's going to be Key McCullum and Stokes and the other selector who could be Stephen Finn, who could be Darren Goff, Alistair Cooks tennd it down. But they don't have a plan in place. They must have somebody there too. But they'll have spotters, won't they have spotters?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, they have a lot of the words, quite well developed systems of passing information. It's all very well say as a selectors say, like McCullum, who's been back here in New Zealm. I don't think he's a ride over in England yet I'm not sure. But you can watch live streams, can't you. Every match has got live streaming and see every ball if you want to do so. But that's different than getting to know the man, getting to know the head and the heart, what sort of person is he, how hard does he work, what's driving him, and those kinds of things, particularly that McCullum likes. Actually he likes that kind of aspect of players. But you can't tell that from a live stream. You can just see the runs and how he bats and his off drive and his turn and his cut, you know. So I think there's more to that, and that's where those scouts and those people who are at the grounds go and talk to the to the players.
Speaker 6: So that's a very well developed system in England. Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot, the.
Speaker 3: White Ferns are already in the United Kingdom preparing for the defense of the World T twenty title with an ode I and T twenty series with England could hardly be better preparation against the side high in favoritism for the World T twenty two and in conditions they'll face when The T twenty opens against the West Indies for New Zealand on June fourteenth. Last week, coach Ben Sawyer detailed the plans for the build up three ODI starting Saturday the tenth, and the T twenty starting I made the twenty first in Derby and while the ODIs will be invaluable for the players, it's the Tea twenties that provide the biggest value. While some of the old faces are there, it's a new era under new captain Neee Kerr, who led the side to a series win recently over Zimbabwe and also South Africa. Let's look ahead to the world event. Joined once again on the front foot by former White fan Kirsty Bond. Nice to be able to talk to you again about the women's game, Kirsty, Thanks for your time.
Speaker 8: Thanks Brian, it's great to be here.
Speaker 3: Yes, well it's out of the cricket season here, but it's overseas that we'll be watching with a lot of interests and the New Zealand men's team has just been named, and of course the women's team already overseas. But there should be some new found belief and confidence for the White fans from those victories particularly over South Africa, shouldn't they?
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, you know, I think.
Speaker 4: They was.
Speaker 8: It was great to see that there was a number of people who stood up in that series against Southery Forga in particular, and that we went solely reliant on one player. And so I think there are some really promising signs moving forward for the White fans.
Speaker 3: I mean, it doesn't hide the normality of the task I've got ahead of them, but it's nice to be there. Well, I suppose you say, defending a title and you still go out to win it again, dough to that they wanted in the Emirates against South Africa, but it's going to be a big step and a tough task for many of the newer players, let alone the experienced runs I've got with in the game.
Speaker 8: It is Yeah, I mean I think there is enough from our summer to have, you know, reasonable confidence that we can make the at least make the top four. You know the thing about T twenty cricketers, you know, with shorter formats like that, it's all on the day you and you really only need one player to stand up and have a blinder and that completely knocks the other team out. It's a challenging format in that regard because you just never know who's going to come to the four on any given day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a game progressing for the woman to a certain extent now that the totals are getting bigger, aren't they. And that was something that to Ben Soa I mentioned they need to be getting up consistently around the one seventy one eighty and therefore you do need at least one person delivering, don't you.
Speaker 8: You do, and you know, obviously it helps to that there are others that are contributing as well. So yeah, I think there's a lot more belief in the woman's game, not just not just the white fans, but all the teams. I think around the scores that they're capable of making, and you know, to be fair, they're playing on much better decks than the players of the past, and so yeah, they've got that as an advantage. I guess. It is great to see them playing that that attacking type game and able to score more freely on the on the wickets that they're playing on.
Speaker 3: Yes, and of course in England they will get those because they're playing at some of the better grounds and that's the most important thing. Plenty of evidence in the South African series, if any evidence was needed, that Mealy Kerr is a class act. But she needs those players around her. And there are players aren't there, like Halliday, Maddy green Plummer who's now starting to get experienced. You've got Sophie Devine who's going to be there that you know, she's got to have that support. We can't expect her to be the star tour in every game, can we? No?
Speaker 8: And I think I think, as I mentioned, you know, there were others who stood up in that series against South Africa. I mean obviously, yeah, like you said, Amelia is a class act. I mean we've always known that she was, you know, sort of a once in a generation type player. So, and she's only going to continue to get better and better. So, but it is really important that you say that others step up. And you know, in that last one day against at South Africans, I think, what were we three for three, including Amelia who had that amazing innings I mean Maddie and Brooke. I mean I thought that was a wonderful partnership that day. The way they said about you know, restoring that innings and then turning it almost counter attacking and turning it into a real positive for New Zealand.
Speaker 3: You played at the top level. I mean, how do you regard merely care in terms of her quality. I mean, she is one outstanding player because she plays all round the park. Some of the women don't tend to access the off side to the extent they should do. But she plays all around the park, doesn't she.
Speaker 8: She does, She's got i mean, she's got, you know, shots all around the wicket. So and one of the things that I really am impressed about with Amelia is the fact that she can access it offside and you know, she'll she'll you know, whether it's driving through the field or over the top, she's capable of doing that. So yeah. And then and then obviously she can also access behind the wicket relatively freely as well. So yeah, I mean she's just she's just got the all round type game. So yeah, she's so impressed.
Speaker 3: Amazing, Yeah, and great to watch as well. It's going to be a big step for the young players. Nancy Patel has made an impact. You'd probably know a bit about azy sharp breeling the left armor who is slowly making a way and even Devonshire within the newer players in the side. Do you know much about them or are you sort of a little bit of the dark like a lot of us because they don't have that many opportunities.
Speaker 8: I know a little bit about some of them. Yeah, I mean it's great to see, you know, a couple of left armands in there. Obviously, Flora's come in is events of someone like friand Jonas. And then great to see if you know, Bree make her way as well as left medium paces, so you know that offers us, you know, you know, something different, which is great. And then I really I really like the look of Nancy Battel. You know, I haven't seen a huge amount of her, but I but I think she's got a bit of spirit and that's you know, always you always need those type of players in your team. And of course with Carson out injured, yeah she will, she will take that spot. And and Izy Sharp, I think is a real player to watch for the future. I've had a bit to do with Busy at under nineteen level. She hits the ball really powerfully, and I think you will only see her, you know, in the future, not quite yet, but in the future you'll see her become quite a powerhouse and that in that White Fans lineup.
Speaker 3: I think she's an explosive player and very good to watch. Is also strong in the field, which is one of the important areas that they have to be conscious of the other player who to a certain extent, I suppose it's a little bit contentious in terms of position as he gazed. Ben Sawyer has already confirmed that he intends to play her at the top of the order, and it wasn't a huge success against South Africa because I think she's a players real talent and could be more explosive down the order rather than at the top with the Georgia Plumoert. How do you see it?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Look, I'm a great believer that you look after your own players and don't expose them too much too soon. And I think you know you're right about is he she She's got real talent there with the bat and I think she's shown that she has a lot to offer in that middle order. You know, Georgia Plymouth is obviously talented as well, but it's still finding her way at international level and I think, to be honest, she would benefit from having someone of real experience at the other end, and if we've got someone like Susie who has played that role for a long time, I know she hasn't show and the form of late that we would like to see from her. My preference probably would be to see her back there. She was used there at the last World Cup, just to add that experience at the top and to provide that support for Georgia.
Speaker 3: I think because that is her game. I mean, we know how good she is. She's one of the greatest women's cricketers across the world and her record in terms.
Speaker 8: Of in the world, so you can't argue with what we know she is capable of.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I think that she would be of greater value if she's going to be part of the side rather than eight or nine up at the top of the order. Then you have at least somebody, hopefully who is going to be a solid core there because the T twenty game has changed to an extent where it's all very well to have your fin Allen's style, but you've got to have people who canform partnerships as well. I know it's only Twitter overs, but you've got to have people who canform partnerships, and she's got the technique and the skill, doesn't he Yeah.
Speaker 8: And I think the other thing too is I think that Izzi has got the game for the middle order, whereas I'm not convinced Susie has. And so from the point of view of this World Cup, I do think that it would be better to return Susie to that only spot and then and then let he bat further down.
Speaker 3: And I'm not sure about her bowling the death overs either, which is probably something which was a trial. Yeah, so what about other players within that side? Don't mean how we haven't talked about Sophie Devine. She can be a match winner, she could go out in style, but we want her basically as a player, a key player, an experienced player, not there to celebrate the end of her career, which you know sort of been set out to the extent that led to who who Sophie Devine and Susie Blakes you're all going to be finishing after this World Cup.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, I don't know that that Sophie will approach it like that. I think I think she will be very much wanting to, you know, do the best that she can possibly do for the team, and both here and Lea and Susie. I think will be very much. You know, they'll be all weird that it's the last tournament in the last time in the New Zealand colors, but I think that they will they'll be really determined to perform well.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, they've got a series against England and that couldn't be better for them in terms of preparation because the England side is very strong, they have good spinners. Whether spin will be an important part of the series in England, it's hard to know, but spinners have been pretty successful in the women's game as such, because there's no real pace in many of the players, is there no?
Speaker 8: And you know, I think looking at that series, it will be important for us just from a confidence point of view. You know, we've come off a recentably good series against the South Africans and so it will be really important for us to continue along the same vein if we can. You know, we don't. We don't want to, you know, I don't think that Benzwel will want to experiment too much. I think he'll want to make sure that he is locking down the sort of the number one team if you like, for that World Cup. So there may be just looking at this team, there may be you know, two or three players who don't get a lot of game time during the tour, so yeah, it will be interesting to watch and see what they do with that warm up series. Yeah, I mean the one day series before that too is really important as well because there's ic C points on that. Yeah, it's a bit it's a big tour for this particular team.
Speaker 3: Oh well, it'll be an interesting series and we look forward to them preparing. Thanks very much for sharing some of your thoughts.
Speaker 8: It'll be a great series, is and yeah, you know, the thing that excites me is that we're starting to build a little bit of depth. And now we've got you know, with the A team going to Sri Lanka and in the next few weeks, you know, there's seven players there that have represented the White Fans in the past, so you know, we're starting to get a little bit of depth and a little bit more competition for places in that White Fans team, which is which is great. And obviously we've we're going to have three key players that we're going to need to replace very soon. It's going to be a really interesting year for the White Fans.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, I'm sorry, I forgot the A team. I mean that is enormous. That is some development phase that the game really needs, doesn't it. In terms of our up and coming players the potentials for the future.
Speaker 8: Yeah for sure. Yeah, you know, and you know there's some exciting talent there. I mean, you know, I mean someone like Katie Knight is obviously down the track, will probably replace someone like lead to who who And the White fans I mean you've also got Molly Pingfold who is going on the in the White fans team for the one dayers in England, so they're sort of two quicks. Probably that real genuine placed flat bowler is that the White fans will be keeping their eye on too.
Speaker 3: Thanks very much, Kirsty, lovely to be able to talk with you, and we'll catch up with you on the future occasion. Interesting stuff, Jerry. She's positive about the team and sees encouraging signs that they could make the top four. Well, I don't think we should accept anything less than that really. In terms of this woman's side, that again this morning against the development team and one up, but that was fourteen a side. But you know that there's a few issues still around that women's team. Isn't there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a predictable group of din't it was?
Speaker 5: I thought the results they were expected against Zimbabwe and pats better than expected against South Africa. South Africa, you know they've made World Cup finals recently and we've beat them for one. Saying the T twenties, which are interested in particular, I know they're playing ODIs now, but the T twenties, couple of quick questions.
Speaker 6: I mean New Zealand.
Speaker 5: Actually, in two of the four G five games they had, didn't they They got one hundred and ninety a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Now, that's good, isn't it. That's a good total in T twenties.
Speaker 5: The other games they got one hundred and fifty two for four and one hundred and sixty for four. Now that those are a bit iffy, that's in that sort of middle area where you can be taken down. But what I like about those the batsmen are doing the job. Only four down at the end of your twenty overs. Now that's a different kind of That's not Jess Kerr getting us a twenty to put us into a position where we might possibly be in with a chance. That's batsmen doing their jobs. And I like that sort of development in the side. I have a little bit of a question about Ezy Sharp about seven. It's a future position and that's that selection is she looks a good bat for Canterbury, doesn't keep, doesn't bowl, so her position really relies on as he gaze opening and keeping and if as he gays doesn't do that, then that throws that whole sort of balance of the side out of it, doesn't it. So there's a slight issue there, especially when you've got baits as well.
Speaker 6: At eight. Now against South Africa Wadds as you know, she.
Speaker 5: Didn't bat in the first and is in the New Zealand wh one hundred and ninety seven, so she didn't bat. They lost a wicket in the last ball to make the seventh wicket and she got two overs for seven seventeen with no wicket. Game two, first change bowler, one over nineteen no wicket bat at at eight got one Game three, sixth bowler used and two overs two for ten good did not bat listed today. Game four bold first change three overs for twenty five eights did not bat listed at eight. Did not play in the fifth game. Now this is a different role that she's playing isn't it. She's batting eight and bowling. She is the next bowler, That's what That's what they're actually saying. That's her part in the team. Now it's not as opener where she's always batted. How quick in the park is she, by the way thirty nine she is nearly Yeah, she's had injuries. You know. I just think if she takes the number eight position then the balance of the side is altered. It means Andrew, you know, Amelia kur is the only spinner now.
Speaker 7: It's a head scratcher, Jerry. For me, the role of Susie Bates, it sort of feels as though she's I often hear she's been such a wonderful servile. Yeah, it may be, so are they're not others who could who could just as adequately perform that role of of of a few overs here and there and batting at eight in New Zealand cricket. Question, mate, It's just it is, it's it's it's it's as if the selectors just don't want to drop her and and I'm not I'm not saying that they should, but I would have thought they should be getting more out of out of Susie Bates and if they're not, then they should be looking for someone else. But I do think that the team it really appears to have started to develop, and as you say, getting decent scores like that is something that hasn't always happened. And what they are getting is preparation in England, which the men's team aren't in comparison, so I think that puts them in good stead. I really look forward also to take it slightly off New Zealand to watching the England team, because they've got some really super players, fabulous bill of some good bad as, so it's it's going to be interesting, really interesting to see.
Speaker 6: How they look.
Speaker 5: I've got nothing to get baits d nothing against what baits at all playing at the best.
Speaker 6: She's a Shoan, isn't she She's a Swan, but I don't.
Speaker 5: I just sense, like Moose has just hinted at that there's a bit of a position of you know, based on sentimentality and the three of them all ending together. And I think if you want her experience there as a player, then take her as a coach, call her a helper, I don't care what you call her, and be around the team, help the team if you want to, but I'm not sure she's kind of.
Speaker 6: In the team at the moment. It's just a feeling I have.
Speaker 5: And when New Zealand are playing, they've got some hard games West Indies first up. Then they've got Sri Lanka and they've also got England, so they only.
Speaker 6: Two go through and so and you Zealand here as well.
Speaker 5: So and those sides like Tri Lanka and the Western as you've got loads of spinners, and so is England, and so I wonder how we'll handle that.
Speaker 6: I think that's going to be the big question the New Zealand have to confront.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's better than a spare part, so she needs to take a lead role within that side. We'll have a look and see what happens on Sunday because that's the first game against England they're playing. Nice to have had you guys with us. Thank you very much for your time once more.
Speaker 7: All right, it's a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Wards all the very best, and well come on, Moosa, you better come home ehe yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, I know I'm being can home, but only for a period of times. The next one thest of the World.
Speaker 3: Summer.
Speaker 6: For more from newstalkset B.
Speaker 1: Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio