Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is Force Fix Howard by News Talk said B.
Speaker 3: Hi there and welcome along to Sports Fix. This is the Friday edition for October the twenty fifth, at the back end of a weekend, at the start of a long weekend on Jason Pine.
Speaker 4: Our long overwhelming sporting weekend, yet another one. I'd suggest we probably won't enjoy the same success as last weekend, but.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 4: I'm Darcy Walter graven Line. Enjoyed all the same, right fighting, Yeah, absolutely right, we enjoyed all the same sports.
Speaker 3: What we do and what we talk on the podcast. We need to get to Japan. I feel on the podcast today does.
Speaker 4: Well Elliott Smith. He gets the fly over the world, mounting up huge airpoints to talk about rugby. What a life for some people, I tell you. So we're tracking down in this Japan accommodation to ever talk about the relevance of this Test match, the nature of the test That's what we want to get out of this Test match because it's a really well it's a strange one, and we'll talk about that later on when we're up on the leaning right Pony.
Speaker 3: Absolutely right, and the rugby league in christ Jitch on Sunday, and some quick picks as well. I've got some thoughts on af for the f C too, so let's get into it.
Speaker 5: In other news, let's get underway, as always with some of them sports stories floating around today. Indian spinner Washington Soundar has taken career best figures of seven for fifty nine to help dismiss the Black Caps for two hundred and fifty nine on the opening day of the second cricket Tested poone Yes.
Speaker 4: A put on again best figures ends of ststricket.
Speaker 1: And Test match.
Speaker 3: The Breakers have slumped it to an eighty eight sixty two Australian National Basketball League defeat to Southeast Melbourne and christ Church has Breakers head coach but t re Copenhan.
Speaker 4: I don't care if you if you miss your shats. You know the energy, the effort, especially from the younger guys. It has to be in different level.
Speaker 3: And six time Olympic champion cyclist Sir Chris Hoy has spoken for the first time since announcing he has terminal pross date cancer.
Speaker 6: It's not the news anyone imagines hearing and it obviously came as a huge shock. We've taken time to process it as a family and I now have a deep resolve to turn this incredibly difficult diagnosis into something more positive.
Speaker 2: Leading of Vix, We've got just the ticket. It's sports Vix. How my news tours is he?
Speaker 4: Yeah, point Elliott, That's what we call him now. He's the commentators. The man's the rugby editaries off in Japan currently is he's chasing the All Blacks through the hemispheres. Elliott. Welcome to the program. We kick off the second part of the season come Saturday evening. You're feeling a bit of that energy around there, are you?
Speaker 7: And welcome absolutely. Darcy kanishi Wa from Tokyo. It's been a good week here in Tokyo with the All Blacks building in to this test. There's a sense of excitement there always is in Japan that the fans come out, and the Japanese fans absolutely love the All Blacks, so they've come out in numbers to support them this week, and I think a good way for the All Blacks to start this end of year to Japan will provide a test tomorrow evening New Zealand time, no doubt about that. But you just get the sense that the All Blacks like being here, they like being around the Japanese people, but are also ready to deliver a performance tomorrow evening kpiyes.
Speaker 4: That's a terrible old term, but it's right. What do we expect out of this? We know we're not going to lose, well we think that's not the case anyway, But what's the point. What do we get? What are we trying to achieve out of this game?
Speaker 7: Well, I think first and foremost to win, and let's not forget two years ago in Tokyo. Your Blacks are pushed very, very hard by Japan. Emerged with a thirty eight thirty one victor victory, but it wasn't impressive from the All Blacks and they started along the Japan size lost a bit of ex varian since the end, some retirement, some injury withdrawals. At the moments, they've had a coaching change Jeddie Jones now steering the good ship Japan at the moment, so there's been some changes around it. It very much feels like a team building towards the next World Cup from a Japan perspective for the All Blacks though, they need to deliver, they need to finish opportunities and that's the big thing that they have not really been able to do often enough this year. It's gained some wins for them, no doubt about that, but you think back to South Africa, Missed opportunities cost them there, Sydney, missed opportunities constant there and Wellington. They could have even blown out the Wallabees more than they did on the night, but they missed some opportunities on that night in Wellington. So the big thing for the All Blacks is they look not only to this week but also the rest of the tour is finishing their opportunities. From what I can gather, they're very happy with the number of opportunities they're getting in games, the number of penetrations inside the twenty two that they're making on opposition sides, but they're just not finishing them and they need to be more clinical. And tomorrow afternoon, tomorrow evening is a good opportunity to try and find a bit more about themselves against the Japan side, which is I say, is lacking on a bit of experience compared to some of those Japanese teams your Blacks have played in the past.
Speaker 4: It's very difficult though, in consistency of selection and combinations to create that when you are changing your sides week in week out. And this is I won't say a second string team, but it is not the run on fifteen. It's not the primary twenty three. So what they achieve out of this, it's all well and good, but does it actually transfer to the thick end of the tour without the consistency of the combinations.
Speaker 7: That's a good point, doesn't it. And eleven players have jumped on a plane this morning from Tokyo and departed early to London to begin preparations for next week, so and they'll all be starters. So yeah, that's a fair point. You look at that and go, how much can you gain in terms of creating and completing opportunities. Well, I think that's just a mindset shift from the All Blacks, is that if you do complete these opportunities tomorrow night, that could flow on further next week. A little bit more confidence comes into the camps of those players. There will be players that play tomorrow afternoon that turn around next week. So chance to state claims as well and impressed their selection claim. So if any fee now haven't seen much of him in recent times. Steven Peter Feenza started the season as the All Blacks first choice fall back, then got injured. Patrick coy Bilotto is captaining this team tomorrow. You know, he started the season as a first choice lock alongside Scott Barrett, but injuries have seen him out of the team and two taking his chance. So when you balance that out and go there's a number of opportunities for these players to stake their claim for more test footballer. I think that's where the All Blacks will want to get to tomorrow afternoon, a good performance and also have players pushing for selection as they build to those big three weeks in the middle of this tour.
Speaker 4: So play your way in, play your way out, you'd suggest, Even with a superb game from any individual, considering the opposition, I should pay more respect to the Japanese than I do. As you mentioned thirty eight thirty one was it recently, But someone has a barnstormer of a game that necessarily actually played them into contention for a start against those Big three. We're playing in conversy. If someone has an absolute shockra bit more like it's pay more likely you can play your way out than play your way in, if that makes sense.
Speaker 7: Quite possibly. Yeah, you look at someone though like cam Broyguard who has played two games of rugby since March, both the counties and the comeback from injury. You know, he was anointed as perhaps the All Blacks first choice half back with the form that he was in earlier on in Super Rugby, but now he has played fewer tests than Cordesratama who any debut earlier on this year, so he's got a point to prove and stake his claim. Wouldn't expect him to start against England, but if he has a good match tomorrow then perhaps to start against Island is in the offering for Sam, someone like camp Royguard Sam PENNI fine, Now another player mentioned there that has sort of faded out and not been able to take his opportunities. And Wallace a Titi has you stepped him? Wallace a ted himself at number eight position that he's more familiar with, could stake a claim there and put himself in a position. So I guess it will depend on the way the game plays out as to how much he can read into performances and how things go from a team perspective, But I think there are certain jerseys and certain roles in this team that are up for grabs as they head north. You know, eleven players have gone up, but they've still got to fill out of twenty three next week, and I think there's a few contestable positions. Sevy recent mark to Lea for mine will be playing off for one wing position next week, assuming Will Jordan starts at fallback against England. Billy Proctor. We liked what he saw from him against Fiji and San Diego. He's had to hold the tackle bags for the last few months since. If he can build on that performance in San Diego, he gives some more questions to the Goblinic so to Bill black select. So I think there are opportunities, maybe not even outside the first choice team, but just to get some more game time for these players and build that twenty three because I don't think the all backs have quite centered on their first choice twenty three is yet with these big matches to come, Elliot.
Speaker 4: It's worth fair Man on the spot over in Japan. He has the call, News Talks, EBB and gold Sport get amongst have a listen, Elliet. Enjoy your time as the start of a long, long trip for you mate. Make sure you're well fed and well watered.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've managed to do that pretty well in Tokyo, Darcy. The foods and the water has been exceptional, so we'll look forward to more of that as the too goes on.
Speaker 2: This is Sportsfix, your daily does of sports news, news talksb.
Speaker 3: Talk to FC up and running in Football's A League and on the evidence of Game one last weekend, they're set to make a bit of a splash. Japanese international Hiroki Sakai came with a big reputation and he well and truly delivered in Game one. The architect of the side's first ever A League goal and the way he celebrated afterwards showed signs of a player who was fully invested in this club. And the lead up to the goal he was fouled. He could have stayed down, but bounced up, rejoined the attack and drilled in a cross which a Boosbane defender could only divert into his own net. It was just one moment of Sarco's overall influence on the game, which was significant at the start of this club's life. The stated recruitment aim was to prioritize local talent in the hometown boy certainly delivered as well, Logan Rogerson scoring the side's second goal, Francis Devrees a constant thread up and down the left, Liam Gillion repaying the faith shine in him with a start and an energetic display, and Jesse Rand were coming off the bench providing good impact. Sitting at the base of Auckland FC's midfield, Louis Vastrata, the side's best player the Belgian age group international, shielded the back four to impressive effect. He broke up would be attacks and transition the side into attack with a great passing range and a bit of a no nonsense approach. He will be integral for Strata to Auckland's success this season. All great teams, though, are built on a solid defense, and on the evidence of Game one, the Black Knights will certainly have that. Dan Hall and Ander Pinnaker have already formed a solid center back pairing and with for Strata sitting in front, the central channel really hard to penetrate out wide. SARChI and Devrees we sound meaning reigning a League goalkeeper of the Year Alex Paulson had very little to do a clean sheet to start, so chick that box and as the saying goes, build it and they will come, and they did. The sellout crowd provided the perfect backdrop to Walkland FC's inaugural a legue match, from the celebrities up in the corporate areas, to the families and fans in the stands, and the outstanding active support provided by the port. Even this early in the club's life, Go Media Stadium appeals as a cauldron that no away team will fancy visiting, starting with Sydney FC this Sunday.
Speaker 2: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfax.
Speaker 3: Into the Chamber, we go onto our leenas we lean. We've heard from Elliott Smith in Japan. I'm looking forward to the test match. I'm looking forward more to the test matches that follow. But if you look at that All Blacks team that's been named for this game tomorrow evening darts, who do you think has the most to gain? Which player or players have the most to gain from playing well tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: That is a very difficult question. There are a number of players who are looking to award, not establishing themselves, but maybe notching further up in the pecking order. Damien McKenzie has to be one of those who's fallen out of favor. I'm also interested in Setiti what he can do in his customary position of number eight. Those are the guys that I will be looking at with most interests. And also the debate around eleven and fourteen. Caleb Clark as you're eleven. So what happens with these two diminutive wingers. Who gets the upper hand may end up plane come the real thicking of the two here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely a couple of guys. I'm going to keep a very close eye on. Billy Procter. I think you know, he's been criminally under used in the All Blacks this year, just that one outing against Fiji. I think if he plays well, then he's certainly knocking on the door of a center spot, perhaps for one of these end of year tests. And I think this is a massive test for some a penny female. You know, he has come into the All Blacks, he's been sort of branded as an enforcer. I don't think he's taken his chances. He has a chance tomorrow to muscle up and wear that six jumper that he does so well for the Chiefs across Super rug Let's see how some a penny female goes. But yeah, there are any number of players who I'm sure will want to, as you've said, put themselves up the pecking order as we get towards the big matches on this end of year tour.
Speaker 4: There's only so much they can do right. They've got to get the victory plane. It's got to be I would say comfortable. They've got to be dominant. The key thing here is not being too dominant. And when you look at some of those explosive loose four players, let's just not get too aggressive and cause trouble. I think some of Benny females a fantastic player, but he's always right on that cuss, isn't he, which is what we love about him. But it can also go too far. So it's a difficult balance for him, absolutely, isn't it. Yeah, one he's found hard to strike. I think at Test level Rugby League hits the Garden City of christ Church on Sunday, the last time the Kiwis played the Kangaroos.
Speaker 3: Does the Kiwi's won thirty zerols?
Speaker 2: Right? That?
Speaker 3: Could we be so bold as to suggest a repeat in your hometown on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Wait, they'll be absolutely filthy the Kangaroos about that. They will have carried that since last November and they'll want to come back. But when you look at the Kiwi side, I think that under Stacy Jones and the fact that a couple of South Islanders in there as well, they won't fall over. They won't roll over packed house. What's seventeen thousand people? I had the lean to I'm looking forward to that. Not only that, but of course you can't really call it a curtain because it's not the case anymore. But it's the first game as well where the fans take on the jell A Ruse. It's a wonderful doubleheader in christ It's and so good to see the people turning up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and really turning up as well. And they turned up for what the Warriors earlier this year. I guess the question always gets asked, should should christ Church perhaps be a place where an NRL bid is taken? Seriously? I know that Peter Balandi's and Andrew Abdo are both in christ Church for this one. I don't know, Das my heart says, I'd love to see it. My gut says we won't see it well.
Speaker 4: Once see the team, or won't see a victory. Help me hear Pine?
Speaker 3: The NRL team in christ Church. Look, I'm looking forward to the game. I think that goes. That's going to be a cracker. I think you're right. I think maybe Australia have the edge in pregame favoritism. But now I'm talking about the NRL team and christ Church. I know there's been a lot of noise made about it, a lot of league fans in christ Church, heaps of them. But can you really see an NRL team being stood up there?
Speaker 4: No, predominantly because I'm not entirely sure if the NRL give two hoots about what happens in New zeal And. They've got their talent and when it comes to the wars, and that's probably enough of them. They're more interesting going to Papua and New Guinea. Still can't work out the financial logic behind that one looks so be it, but it makes much more sense. And imagine, imagine every other week you have a home game under a roof in christch How will that be for the NRL. Let's expand that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not going to be the eighteenth team, maybe the twentieth, but there are other bids on the table for that. Hey, some quick picks from you if I could in PC final tomorrow five past three Gold Sports where you'll catch the commentary of that one. Wellington or Bay have plenty for you.
Speaker 4: I'm still like grimacing over what they have plenty of did to Canterbury. So I've got to support them against your guys, just because I feel like that means the loss was okay, it was justified because they have plenty of won it. Look at the end, I don't have any skin in any of the teams. I just want to see a good game of football and I think we'll get it because it's in the afternoon. It's daytime football.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: I want Wellington to win, course, I don't care if it's I want Wallington to win the game of rugby npball Constellation cut number three or Test number three Sunday night and Perth. We don't normally went over there? Can we win over there?
Speaker 4: Well, every time we beat them up over here, they beat us up back over there again, so that is kind of regular programming. And this sounds really unpatriotic. But I kind of wouldn't mind if Australia one and then one again on Wednesday, just so we can see how the players deal with seven minutes each way of extra time to determine that they'd be absolutely gassed. And I tell you, the ferns are fitter, so I know it's a sick fascination. I'd like to see them under that kind of pressure. Plainly, I'm gonna key you. I want to see that the ferns wouldn't be You know where I'm going with that, pliny.
Speaker 3: I do, I do. I know exactly what you where you're going. It's a unique proposition, a mini game at the end of a four game series. I can't remember it happening in any sport ever before. So yeah, looking forward to that. And finally, black Caps India. The black Caps boalty yesterday for two five nine India sixteen for one. What to India get in their first innings.
Speaker 4: I watched most of it yesterday, and I watched what Patel could do and how he was manufacturing his delivery, and again with Mitchell sat Now now that Purchu is showing explosive qualities already, it's turned into a bit of a pop a dom it will have done by the end of the game. I think if they can they'll probably maybe score three three hundred and three fifty. The trick here, of course is who has to bat second, and it's them, and that's when things get really really interesting. Two fifty nine not a dominant score, not a losing score. They are still very much in the fixture and those runs are on the board.
Speaker 3: Now, I was just you've you took the words right out of my mouth, as you so often do. Those runs are on the board. It's up to Indy and how to get close to or go past it in the first innings and trigguing test match in poone playing out. That is us in a jam packed chamber for today.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, Jason Bin. Always a pleasure to breathe the air in the room with you there, my friend, dissecting the sporting agenda.
Speaker 2: It's Sportsfix with Jason Vine and Darcy Waldergrave.
Speaker 3: And having breathed the air together, that is us on another edition of the Sports Fix podcast. At the start of a long weekend. I'm not sure whether you're getting a long weekend, but if you are, enjoy yourself. A new episode of the Sports Fix podcast will drop into your podcast feed on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: US. If we were still under the cash of COVID, we couldn't share the chamber together, we couldn't breathe the same air. We should be grateful that we are no longer laboring under that shadow that I'm not that great. Have a great weekend, Biney, looking forward to of course, between twelve and three Saturday and Sunday on News Talk TB Weekend Sport with Piney, and then between seven and eight it's Sports Talk Monday through Friday with him or me, your choice, Get amongst everybody, Get him o ye.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio