Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at be Follow this and our wide range of podcast now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks head Be Why Hello there, Welcome on and to the Sports Fix, your daily dose of all good things sport from home and abroad. My name is Darcy Waldgrave. I've got you for the next door fifteen twenty minutes or so as we take a look at the big sports stories of the day. We're going to kick things off with one of the legends of rugby and l tiro. His name is Wayne. His name is Buckhead. Sir Wayne Shelford, as regular as clockwork and Englishman has climbed in again to have a go at the Harker rent free in your head, Joe Marlow, what is going on with this? The man who basically reinvigorated the hark back in nineteen eighty seven. Buck Shelford joins us to talk about that. Next. I got some opinion on what I missed the most in televised sport in this age, something that I go back to my healthy in days of youth watching. Talk more about that with an opinion piece of a lut and punch you in the face. And then we are joined on Alena in the chamber by Rugby Direct co host and New Zealand Herald Sports, but more specifically rugby writer Liam Napier, as we take a look at the big sports stories of the day. That's what we've got planned for you. Thirtieth of October twenty twenty four. This is your sports fix. Let's get into it in other news time now for quickly listening to some sports people, some sports administrated, some sports alstot. The White Ferns are encouraged despite losing their One Day cricket series at two to one way to India. New Zealand word beat by six wickets. In that third match, the hosts chased down the two hundred and thirty three with thirty four balls. Despare bat Susie Bates says, are we better for the experience?
Speaker 2: We know how good we can there when we play like we did in game two and just got to do that more consistently.
Speaker 1: Reports of rugby's eminent demise might be exaggerated. The governing body claims player registrations were up six percent this season. Steve Lancaster, he's in on rugby's general manager of the community Game says one bracket stood out pleasingly.
Speaker 3: We've seen just over five ten increasing teenage boys, which is an area that is often called out as a declining area fortilation, but we're also seeing club growth across the spectrum as well.
Speaker 1: A new addition awaits New Zealand's domestic basketball leagues. The Indian Panthers, will join the men's NBL and the women's TOEHI competitions. Based in South Auckland, the franchises will feature leading players from India along with locals and overseas imports. Team owner Paving Batis has been running amateur leagues in the country since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: The conversation progress up being on the phone for about an hour and discussing the opportunity, and relatively quickly from there we got to a situation where we signed us and signed the contract a few weeks back.
Speaker 1: We've got just the ticket. It's Sports VIX. We're joined now on the program by Buck Shelford, or Sir Wayne Shelford, as is otherwise known Buck. Welcome to the program. I trust you well well to you as well. Great to have you on. But here we go again. Joe Marler fanning the flames if you will, suggesting that the harker the pre match tradition is ridiculous and it needs to be been. You can almost set your watts to it, couldn't it. The complaints coming out of the Northern Hemisphere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know if he thinks that that it's ridiculous that we're doing haka, well it's got a ridiculous study eco for his age too. You know, what do you suggested?
Speaker 1: What do they do? Because this is something that's becoming more and more prevalentobally in Rugby. I mean you look at the cippy town, the city town, the Timby in the quarter country.
Speaker 4: We've got cultures, We've got cultures down in Polynesia, Pacific Island, all the Pacific Island's got their own culture and basically we should you know, explore it, which we have for the last hundred years we've used it and basically why should we take it away?
Speaker 1: What's the reaction like globally in your experience and they're not home because we know how much we love it here, but that overseas is that embrace and accept it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe it is over in Japan, America, Canada, they love it. They love it because you know, they're not competitive competitives with us at the moment, you know, but down the line, in you know, twenty thirty years, they might be. They love it. I think it's only the Home Aations that don't tend to enjoy it. You know, the world give us a bit of gip on it, you know, the Irish as well. You know, the Home Nations give us that gyp. But everywhere around the rest of the world they love it. You know that's because they that we're showing the part of our culture.
Speaker 1: Part of the fallback from people. So well, no one else really gets to do it. Why do you get this advantage that's patently unfair. So besides, the haircuts.
Speaker 3: Come on at the end of the day. It's not actually, it's not something that actually unless you look at the negative, Robert, they're looking at a negative and saying, oh, they getting an extra bit of advantage by doing it. We get no advantage. Whatsoe if you haven't done your homework on the orblecks, don't say anything, and that's your problem. Don't use that as an excuse for you losing all the time to our team and something is you know, we're as good as you. Guys, are as good as us on your day, and you can beat us at any time. It's not about the hocker. It's about how you play rugby, So just get on and play rugby. Leave the other stuff alone. And basically we're there to show part of New Zealand off, which is that our hacker and all of our teams have it. All the Polynesian teams have it as well. So I think that it's brilliant. It's a great add on to to the whole ceremony of when you do basically hear your national anthems, it's just to follow on from there. And so you know, we've only just comeing to you know that had a twenty years twenty thirty years now we've been doing the national anthem and they don't say anything about that.
Speaker 1: Well you mean as in the todaial version of a national anthem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, initially back in the day, the young lady who'd done it day basically she's reprimanded for it. And this is from our own country and so he is. We've got to get with it. You know, we're actually here, we're never going to leave this place, and this is part of our culture. If you don't like it, go back to where you come from.
Speaker 1: Buckshelf for joining the program. But I'm sure that he's not doing his teammates any favor by coming out and saying this. I don't think it helps their cause at all. Does it give more strength to the arm of the New Zealanders when someone openly criticized es something like.
Speaker 3: This, No, I don't think so. Our guys are over it. You know that you get you know, you get criticized in the year if somebody size of it. And the thing is, but what do you think we get out of it? It's just it's just the hakker. We don't get any advantage from it. I tell you, it's actually how the team played on the days. That's all the advantage we can get about it. Think about is playing the game on football as hard as fast as we can, and some team's going to one team's going to come out in the winter a draw or lost. So you know, we're just going to get on with what makes us stick. And it's because we love the game of rugby. And we introduced that haker into the or Blacks many many years ago and before he was born so at the end of the day, unless you know our culture, you shouldn't be talking about it.
Speaker 1: And but look, let's talk about it. It's well known that when you turned up to the All Blacks and took over the captain saying that unbeaten perrye Wan through in the late eighties, that you revitalized the Harker. It was getting butchered, and you thought, this is something that's really important not only to Marty but to New Zealand as well. We've got to change it, we've got to give it some credibility. Did you ever think that it had caused this much trouble, like thirty forty years later.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think it's trouble. I think it's it's a part of our part of our history, and part of our culture. New Zealand's culture is our Maori culture. You know, all the other people come from overseas, but our culture here in New Zealand is Maori. And so thing is we're going to live with that, you know. That's that's our history of this country going back you know, seven eight hundred years, and so you know, at the end of the day, we're blended together pretty well over the years and you know, we're working together in a lot of things, and at the end of the day, it's only a game of sport that we're playing, and so we're adding a bit of cultural sincerity towards it on both sides, and which is basically our national anthems. We do it in two languages, South America does it in three languages, and things like that. So at the end of the day, what are you moaning about. You know, we actually get on with the game and that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: And on that note, we'll let you go at Shelford Bucks, Shelford. Always a joy speaking to you, my friend. You look after yourself, all of it.
Speaker 4: D This is Sportsfix, your daily dose of sports news, owing by News Talks EV.
Speaker 1: You know what's a bit stink. I'll tell you what's a bit stink. The lack of domestic cricket on television, on pay TV, on free to air TV. I don't care. Look, I'm getting on I'm fifty five now. But the memories I have of watching what was then the Shell Trophy and the Shell Cup on the TV when I was a young fella built my love of the game of cricket. It was a wonderful, constant product. And let's not forget what we heard on the radio two with Sports Roundup, but there was something around sitting with my mates and watching my Canterbury team doing well in the Cup and the trophy. It felt relevant. It felt now, it felt like something I would aspire to and that I would play for. We mimicked our rock stars and we're playing out in the backyard. And even then some when we started playing in schoolboy cricket and on toward club cricket. It's really sad that we don't see this anymore. Look, I get it, it's expensive, it's not cheap to cover and in some places like Sky, like TV and Z do you understand why they just won't go there because I expect it. It's not a ratings dominated sport. Yeah they've got it online. Yeah you can watch it on YouTube, but it's just not the same. It's flicking the TV on, listen to the commentators, getting the scoreboard and getting right engaged with what was a hero and that was domestic cricket here in New Zealand. I doubt it'll ever come back on the TV, but I'll tell you what if it does. I'm in one hundred percent. Go on, make it happen.
Speaker 2: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfax's.
Speaker 1: Been joined by Liam Napier. He's a writer for New Zealand here when it comes to sport, and of course co hosts as well of the Rugby Direct podcast. Great do you have you in the chamber, mister Napier? I trust you all. Well.
Speaker 2: Great to see dus, Great to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that we had to start things off with rugby, but you know you are rugby dude, and I'm sure we've got an opinion on this. You can almost saying to Buck Shelford, you'd almost set your watch to this, couldn't you some Englishman or Welshman or something complaining about the hakka. It's almost beyond a joke. Do not realize how stupid they sound.
Speaker 2: It's a rugby bingo card does every time the All Blacks go to Twickenham, we're talking about the hacker. And for that reason, it's a story that puts me to sleep or makes me yawn or you know, flick the leg over and not want anything to do with it because it is a very very tired narrative and the frustration for me is if you don't understand the cultural significance, don't comment on.
Speaker 1: It, living rent free. And someone said him and this is a classic case of anything this must torment the likes of Joe Mahler and everyone else that complaints if they wake up in a cold sweat and le go not they coma there hager. It's all like carbo or pungla. What are we going to do? That's what it says to me. It says fear, and it says in your head already, never do any We're not even there yet.
Speaker 2: That's it. And look, the hucker is part of the theater of rugby, of sports. And if you think back to the twenty nineteen World Cup semi final that England won and they've formed the the V shaped formation that's set the scene for that English team to have their triumph. And we've seen countless examples of that. It's a very integral fabric of the All Blacks stories throughout the years of the All Blacks having to do the Houcker and the changing rooms in Cardiff. So look for me. Joe Marler is not involved and this English team, he's searching for relevance, searching for to keep his name out there.
Speaker 1: Clickbait, clickbait, look.
Speaker 2: At me, hear me? And he since deleted the tweets, so he clearly didn't like.
Speaker 1: I think he's deleted his whole account, isn't he. That's it.
Speaker 2: He didn't like the feedback. So, and that's what happens when you when you have spoken views in this world. And you'd know that as much as anyone. We all know about feedback, don't we. But yeah, I can't get on board with it. And it's a very very tired narrative.
Speaker 1: Now. It doesn't almost feel bad bringing it up, but you know it's there to talk about. So yeah, kind of well and see and going on about the Thinby or Sipitaw or the City Tower. I mean, it's not just New Zealand, right, is it? Because they're not Tier one nations.
Speaker 2: Well, look, put it this way. Should we talk about Swing Low Sweet Chariot and the origins of that and how that should be outlawed?
Speaker 1: We could talk all day. There's plenty more as well, but we just, like part get in the corner and go, yeah, Joe, you need a new line, you really do. Let's go to the actual teams itself and that this is the interesting thing, Like the All Black side is not out yet, but we know what the English are doing. Marcus Smith. This guy's a threat.
Speaker 2: Right, He's a real talent and a very attacking minded verse five who has come through the ranks in England and I won't go as far as say change the game in England, but has reshaped their mindset because they had a guy like Owen Farrell who was very good at what he brought to the game, good defensively, great kicker, good goalkicker. But Marcus Smith brings that ear of unpredictability. He's got great feet, he's small, he's fast, got very good vision. So he brings a very different dynamic to the English game. And we have seen this English team evolve in recent times and play more rugby and he's a big part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, you said unpredictability, and I think there's a key thing. Then when you've got a pivot and you're not quite sure what he's going to do, and you know he has the skills and the talent to gas you on the outside, will steep you on the inside, that adds a bit of flavor to then of course he can pick off a couple of us very talented wings too with a deft kick. So it does add an extra layer to the proceedings and I think we should be excited by this.
Speaker 2: We should. I wouldn't go as far as say this is a revolution though, because I think we know how Engler and are going to play. They've named a six to two bench with six forwards, so the nuts and bolts of their game are still there. They're still going to be a set piece orientated, They're still going to kick a lot, but with Marcus there it does bring a different dimension. Georgia Ford's on the bench, so very experienced head, steady hands. A bit of an insurance policy if things are not going well Marcus Smith and Dunedin first test for Razor Robinson missed a couple of kicks off the tee and if he slotted those England would have won. That was a one point victory for the All Blacks. So a bit of an insurance policy in George Ford. But from the outset the All Blacks will have to be on defensively because of Marcus Smith goes he can break you open.
Speaker 1: If you want to read more about that, Liam was all over New Zealand here more of us theories, more of his ideas climb on board Indyhill dot co dot ind It's finishing things off with a interesting tale of Indian basketball. We had hands of this earlier in the peace, but this has almost come out of nowhere, the fact that there's suddenly going to be an Indian men's and an Indian women's team playing in the Sales NBL. What was instinctive Field when you read that?
Speaker 2: What a I remember reading about it a good month ago and thinking and now that it's coming to fruition. That's one of the more bizarre stories in New Zealand sport at the moment. And we've got a lot of success happening, but this is incredibly intriguing. Why is the question? Is it about money? Because I did a bit of reading around the Stars and the Indian Basketball League. It only really lasted for one year of five on five. They had a bit of three on three. Then there was an apparent falling out with the national body and now there's a bit of legal dispute in the background. So where is the interest for the New Zealand basketball public in bringing in an Indian franchise. It doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface, does it?
Speaker 1: Well, if you're being cynical, you'd say this could be a cash grab because there's one point four billion bodies living in India, half of them are under twenty five. Basketball is a global game, so maybe it's just like can we tap into this? But i'll tell you what. It's bringing some interest to sales NBL next season, some more another level, how far from now? What next?
Speaker 2: Well, that's it and do you risk not killing the Golden goose? But basketball's having a massive boom in New Zealand, isn't it? And the NBA is a great example of that. How much interest is he going to be from, you know, the nuky public to go along and watch an Indian team compared to playing one or two. I'm not sure. Let's see how it plays out, but it's certainly intriguing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is the one out of a boxing on that limb. A Napier sports writer, Rugby specialist, Rugby Direct podcast co host, Thanks for coming in to the studio. Great to have you on board.
Speaker 2: Great said does.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda. It's Sports Fix with Jason Vine and Darcy Waltergrave. But I forget it she's done. That winds up a sports fixed for today, Wednesday, the thirtieth of October twenty twenty four. Monday's Darcy Watergrave thanks for joining myself and my guests. If you want more of us that of course you do, I tell your mates and B subscribe. If you do that, this drops in your inbox Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and if it's more spoiler after in the traditional radio method, you can turn into sports talk on it News Talk ZB between seven and eight week nights with Jason Pine, all myself and of course Pine has got the whole shooting match coming up Saturday and Sunday with Weekend Sport between twelve and three. We'll catch you again soon for more from News Talk sed B listen live on air or online and keep
Speaker 3: Our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio