Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from news Talk zedb rat.
Speaker 2: To welcome back into the show one of New Zealand Motorsport's brightest young prospects. You may remember Liam Skeets joining us in studio back end of last year. He's had recent success in Asia, so we thought it was time to get him back into update this. Liam, welcome back to the show. We spoke to you, as I say, in early November and you were heading to the US to compete in Indie next So tell us what the last months have consisted of for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, Piney. The last eight months have been crazy, to be honest. Yeah, November last year was the US was the focus, IndyCar was the focus, and now it's completely changed.
Speaker 4: So yeah, started this year.
Speaker 3: That the opportunity came up to be racing in Lamborghini Asia. So with a roof over my head now, so that's been the biggest kind of difference this year and I'm absolutely loving it so far.
Speaker 2: So tell us about the series. You're actually take us back to how the conversation started and how we ended up here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I mean the IndyCar pathway, I would have loved to have continued to go down but just the realities of motorsport means that it's it's incredibly expensive to go down that route. So unfortunately, yeah, I had to. I had to pivot, a bit of a strategic pivot, and and I was looking all over the globe at all the different race series to see what what might be best fit for me. And then one day, yeah, just just through reaching out to Kiwi's here getting getting your advice a key a really successful motor racing driver and himself Chris Vanderder took to him and he presented me this opportunity of here Lamborghini in Asia GT Cars Endurance Racing. So yeah, completely different to the indie next scene.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was a great opportunity, a lot cheaper than the US, so that was the most attractive point. But yeah, and then just signed signed a contract only weeks before the first round and that was held in April in Malaysia. And yes, since then I've had four rounds. But yeah, as I said, it's I'm super happy about this kind of strategic pivot I like.
Speaker 4: To call it. And you're just loving my time in Asia. And then Lamborghini outstanding.
Speaker 2: It's funny how things work out sometimes, isn't it. You know, you think you're going down one path and then another path presents itself. So so tell us about racing these Lamborghinis, what you know, Just give us the whole rundown on what it is that you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's there's so many new dynamics piny that I'm experiencing and having to adapt to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Adapt is the key word for this year, because there's been yeah, so many new firsts. But Lamborghini it's it's I've got the biggest thing. And first of all is I've got a partner with me, a driving partner, so it's not just me now competing in the races. We do a pit stop middle of the race and change over. So yeah, that dynamic of having a teammate's new and I'm really loving it.
Speaker 4: His Dave's Gustave.
Speaker 3: He's from Poland and where we get along really well. I'm with an Italian team VSR. They're called Vincenzo Suspirior Racing. He's a former Formula One driver in the Shumaca days. And yeah, they're they've been awesome. They're they're leading team for Lamborghini, so surrounded by a great group of people, and yeah, we've had four rounds.
Speaker 4: It's all across Asia.
Speaker 3: We started in Malaysia, then we went to China, then to Japan and more recently South Korea. So I'm you know, on track, it's it's awesome driving of vting you know, Lamborghini with six.
Speaker 4: Hundred plus horse power.
Speaker 3: But but off tre having that Asia experience of of you know, being able to see all these new countries and meet all these new people, and it's yeah, I'm absolutely loving it.
Speaker 4: So I'm feeling very lucky.
Speaker 2: How long are the racers.
Speaker 4: They're they're about an hour long?
Speaker 2: Got ya? Okay, so you're in you're in the seat for what typically half of that? Is that how it typically worked?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yep, yep. Twenty five to thirty five minutes.
Speaker 2: All right, and it's obviously going well. You had your strongest weekend of the season up in South Korea. Is it just have you just got the hang of it quite quickly or what made everything click so well for you in the latest round?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the first round of Malaysia actually we managed to win, which was a bit of a surprise really because yeah, it was my first race weekend and GT cars I've had, you know, little to no experience. But yeah, we managed to piece to get a weekend and get our first.
Speaker 4: Win under our belt.
Speaker 3: But then through China and Japan, you know, a couple of rounds went by them and we didn't really get close to winning and we were still on the podium, which was gay getting seconds and thirds, but yeah, that's not good enough.
Speaker 4: So we've been working very hard.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, on the weekend in South Korea, we managed to get another win, our second under our belt for the season and closing in the championship lead. So yeah, it's it hasn't been and easy process smoth sailing at all. I mean it's it's yeah, a lot of hard work has gone and you know over the last eight months to get up to speed in this car and learn as much as possible be a sponge. So yeah, but but all thank you to my team for you know, helping with that process.
Speaker 2: What sort of speed to you are traveling at? Top speed?
Speaker 4: Top speed?
Speaker 3: We came at Fuji in Japan and it was close to three hundred I think, not quite about two niney ish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's moving. It feels far.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So you've closed in on the leaders second in the championship now, I think, so how many rounds are they left?
Speaker 3: Two to go? We've got Shanghai at the Formula One Circuit in early September and then the World Finals at Monza and It'saly at the end of October. So that's yeah, that's that one's been circled on the calendar all along. That's where you know, all the Lamborghini drivers competition from Asia and from North America and from Europe meet at Monza for a big showdown. So that's the one we, you know, Gustav and I are really working towards and really want to win. It won't be easy, I mean the the side of the grid there will be about fifty plus Lamborghini's all on track together around Manza. But yeah, we're feeling confident, you know, with our progress we've made here in Asia that will be able to get to Europe and we'll be we'll be.
Speaker 4: In the fight.
Speaker 2: Amazing. And on top of that, in the last little while, you've been selected for the Lamborghini Young Driver Program. Tell us about that and how significant that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was very exciting news that I received the week of South Korea actually the race and yet to be one of fifteen drivers globally Lamborghini drivers to be selected. Yeah, it was a huge, huge on the privilege and how it works now has now been part of the ecosystem. I'm working with Lamborghini directly to me with you know, all off track on track aspects like media and sponsorship and communication and physical and mental fitness. In September, after my Shanghai race, so I've got to go to It'saly for a three day training camp. And yeah, that that opportunity. It's just the first step really, but now that I'm part of the progrand that the goal is to perform at Shanghai my next race and especially the World finals and and you know, become a factory supported, professional.
Speaker 4: Paid drive for lamb Guini.
Speaker 3: So yeah, now I've created that opportunity for myself. So it's just about you know, keep working hard and execute.
Speaker 2: Absolutely outstanding, Liam g What a what an eight months you've had made And so you say, you know, first step along the journey to where where where might this lead? Have you started to think about what the you know, the next say three to five years might look like for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Asia is somewhere for the short to medium term I really want to build my my career. It's it's a great market for motor racing in the motor racing world.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's.
Speaker 3: Really emerging up and coming, and I don't think many young drivers are kind of looking there as the platform for the last For the long term, Lamon the twenty four.
Speaker 4: Lamon is main goal. I want to be the.
Speaker 3: Next next Kiwi to be to be flying the Kiwi flag at that race and following you know the likes of Brendan Hartley and El Bamba and yeah, other great Kiwi names that have that have taken part in that event. So yeah, that's yeah five in five years time, if you know. The goal is to be on that grid even less than and it would be awesome to be dealt with Landy Guiney as a as a driver for their manufacturer, with their support behind me.
Speaker 2: You mentioned a couple of names there, and you know, we've got such a proud history of producing world class racing drivers and all sorts of different cars, haven't we do you do you draw inspiration from from other Kiwis who have gone before of.
Speaker 4: Course, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean Scott Dick and when I was in the US last couple of years, he's someone that I really looked up to, and yeah, he was hugely supportive and an inspiration and you know Foxy Foxy on the weekend winning on the global stage.
Speaker 4: It's not just motor racing drivers.
Speaker 3: It's all KII sports people that you can draw inspiration from, and you know, come from you know, a little old New zeal And in the in the corner of the global the globe, and yeah, be able to have huge success in the world stage. So yeah, I'm spoiled for the amount of icons that there is to look towards and learn from, and yeah, pull inspiration from to to keep working hard and.
Speaker 2: Even just chatting to you mate, like you've mentioned some of the racetracks you've been on and will go to Monza and you know who knows what lies down the track. Do you still have pinch me moments or you're starting to get used to it?
Speaker 4: No, I still have pinch me moments.
Speaker 3: I Yeah, I feel just super appreciative every day to have these experiences. Yeah, I mean eight months ago when I was talking with you the indie next thing you know that that came to an end and honestly, Pineyer, I had nothing.
Speaker 4: I had nothing on.
Speaker 3: The cards and just just due to you know, the cost of motor racing, and it was really skipped to if I would even have my bum in a race seat for this year. So yeah, to be racing, Lamb mcghinny's all around Asia, to be still, you know, winning trophies and sprang Champagne. I'm immensely grateful and that's all thank you to my to my Kiwi partners here here in New Zealand. He's about eighteen of them, a mixture of people and organizations, and yeah, I would not be where I am of course without them. So it's it's huge, huge, huge thanks to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're right to point them out, but I think it's also massive testament to your resilience, your tenacity, your determination, your ability to pivot into something different when well what they what do they say? When one door closes, another is likely to open, and you've walked right on through it into Lamborghini. Lamb, it's great to get the chance to chat timate. Thanks for up. We'll keep eyes on you and hopefully we can catch up in person at some stage later in the year.
Speaker 3: Of course, thank you very much, pining for the opportunity, look forward to speaking more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, mate, Thanks indeed, Liam Skeets there one of our top young motor racing drivers. What a time for him.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine, listen live to News Talk zed B weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.