Speaker 1: Live for the Export Be Again Studio and brought to you, as always by Export Ultra, the beer for here. This is the Agenda Podcast for the sixth of September.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting Nonsense, said Clap Trap, brought to you by Export Ultra.
Speaker 1: And it is a great pleasure to welcome into the studio David Good David, Hey, gun Mate's.
Speaker 3: Good to be here, bro, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: That's the story.
Speaker 1: Will wind week will in a few days for you. Hasn't it been? When did you first find out that old mate was not going to be able to fight?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, the positive test came about like five weeks ago, last end of July, so it's actually been a long time. But we were trying to make the fight still happen. I still wanted to fight Blake, But now that we've got this new guy, Tommy Carpenti, he's actually a better body to fight.
Speaker 3: If you know what I mean, Like he won't be as negative.
Speaker 5: When I say negative, it's just like when you're not trying to win a fight but survive or like.
Speaker 6: Does that head style just try and survive, Not so much survive, but like just getting close quarters No, it's more.
Speaker 5: Leaning away in the way, and it's like I would be trying to make the fight happen for everybody in the crowd, you know, and he would be trying to stop me from doing anything I wanted to do. So it's yeah, me and Blake would have been I tell you what, it could have been lackluster, especially after four heavyweight fights on the undercart. We've got four heavyweight fights on a row which are going to be sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Man, say how much? How much has it affected your preparation though? Because obviously he got announced in the media. You see it into July, so you probably had a bit of time, but you didn't know your new opponent till how long.
Speaker 3: Ago, forty eight hours? I think does that.
Speaker 6: Change your preparation? I mean do you have to do a bit of research around, Like, because you're saying that different types of fighters, how does that affect? Is that like that to me? I'd ship I'd ship my pants. I'd be like, fuck, isn't I've trained for this other guy and now I've got this another rooster coming.
Speaker 5: I guess boxing is the kind of sport you need to be able to adapt on the spot anyway. So I've got I've got five or six different modes in terms of like how I fight, so uh, it doesn't change that much.
Speaker 3: He's still a solfbore, so he's still left handed.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 5: He's got a similar record, similar experience. He's fought three formal world champions and he's beaten one of them, so he's succeeded where Blake Caparello failed, if you know what I mean. So he's very credible. This fight will get me into the top fifteen in the WBO. I'm already top fifteen in the IBF, but.
Speaker 3: It might put me up a couple of places.
Speaker 5: So that's it's a big step towards snatching one of those titles, if.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't want to jump too far down the track. But if and when you get down down the end here and you're you know, you're fighting for the WBO, the ib F, the ABC's, the tcs ands and the BG's and all that.
Speaker 6: Accs, he we'll wring that belt out.
Speaker 4: You can win hold that immediately.
Speaker 1: When when you win all of these, can you just melt them down into one belt because it's so confusing to follow all of the different boxing organizations.
Speaker 5: Isn't it well that there are four major belts. There's the IBF, w b O, w B A, and WBC. So at the moment, we're looking at the first two the ib F from the w b O to be unified to be the undisputed world champions, to have all the belts.
Speaker 3: So in some ways it's good.
Speaker 5: In some ways, it's a bit confusing for the for the layman, for the casuals, you know, but uh, a world champions, a world champion, and to be able to fight the other world champions as as that's.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, that's incredible.
Speaker 5: Like you've got the UFC now you've got, but you've also got those other those other bodies where you've got some murderers out there that are just as good as the other guys, you know, Like.
Speaker 4: I can't even PFLFI League. Then there's the one championship PFL.
Speaker 3: I think they might be coming along, they might be yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who's that.
Speaker 6: Saudi money for podcasting we've been we've.
Speaker 1: Been calling for that for a long time, like if they want to if they want to wash their money by sponsoring podcasts, we've been happily a lot of boxing over in Saudi A.
Speaker 5: Have you been over there this yeah, I thought on the Fury Usic undercard, So that was that was kind of my my first big test against another undefeated prospect, and hoping to get back over there in December for the for the rematch. Yeah, the Usk Fury too. What's the crowd like one of those things, like it was a.
Speaker 3: Little bit quieter when I got in, it was a little bit earlier. I think it was like it was like a nine or it's like a nine hour card, I think, Yeah, yeah, it was. It was a long night.
Speaker 5: So by the time Fury and Usak came out, it was three thirty in the morning. Kendrick lamars up on this platform rapping, like going going crazy, and everyone's like struggling to keep their eyes over.
Speaker 3: Like please get off, please get off. We want to watch this fight.
Speaker 4: Because they're not drinking other Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, well, like the British fans, I think they all got got on at the Embassy. I think they found a loophole so out there and went across. But so it was pretty rowdy. It was pretty rowdy in the main event especially. Yeah, so the crowd was awesome and I got like a nice ovation when I got out the ring and stuff. So people were very very respectful over there. It's it's amazing place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was in Abu Dhabi. I worked there for a while and they put a UFC fight on there and all of the front row about three rows back were all locals in their pristine white dish dashes, and so they're all sitting there and they love a bit of combat fighting. But there was blood flying out of that ring. I looked over one guy and they had blood splitted all over their dish stashes.
Speaker 4: I would love.
Speaker 6: I was just like, oh my god, I don't seem anything like it, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was. It was a good times.
Speaker 6: Just touching on before you said like confusing for the late person in terms of the casual fan, can you tore me through the different divisions, because like, obviously the most famous is the heavyweights. You know, it's Tyson's, George Foreman all that. You know, they probably get the most limelight. So you got that that's the top, that's the heavyweights. He's no super heavyweights in there. That's more not yet, it's just heavyweights. It's just open grade whatever. And then the other probably most famous division, is the kind of Floyd maywhere the yeah, the world's weight where So can you explain all the divisions and where you are and what your your is your goal to go up a division?
Speaker 4: Is it? What is it?
Speaker 3: So so it's it's a little bit unfair in some ways.
Speaker 5: So that there are I think maybe fourteen divisions and they start right down at like.
Speaker 3: Forty nine kilos or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the next division up is two kilos heavier, then it's two killers heavier above that, then three killers, then four kilos heavier. But by the time you get up from light heavyweight is seventy nine points something kilos, right, So let's say seventy nine killers. The next division up, my division, cruiserweight is ninety point seven killers.
Speaker 6: It's different.
Speaker 3: It's a big jump.
Speaker 5: It's one hundred and seventy five pounds up to two hundred pounds. That's a big difference. So when I made that transition and I tried to put on all the muscle I could to to you know, fill out that division, and it really didn't do me any.
Speaker 3: Favors for about three or four years, you know.
Speaker 5: So it's a it's a it's a big jump, and anything above that is heavyweight.
Speaker 3: So technically right now, I'm a heavyweight.
Speaker 5: I'm walking around at about ninety four kilos, so my weights come down since the starter camp, but I walk around as a heavyweight ninety eight kilos kind of thing. So I think I see three heavyweights here today.
Speaker 6: Hell yeah, hell yeah, I'm thinking more super heavyweight y.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what's the heavyweight? What's the sorry, what's your.
Speaker 3: Two Hundred's the two hundred pounds limits?
Speaker 5: So ninety point seven ninety point seven kilos, yeah, which is not actually that big nowadays, you know.
Speaker 3: So heavy.
Speaker 4: I didn't think so either, David, you did, right, But.
Speaker 5: Anything above that weight you're not going to get any more. You're going to get faster, You're not going to get fitter.
Speaker 3: You will get more power.
Speaker 5: That's that's one thing that you get signialificantly more of You get more power. But I feel like the cruiserweight division you get some really really athletic fighters that have their conditioning, have the power.
Speaker 3: It's it's kind of the best of both worlds.
Speaker 5: You know, Like I run a our our twenty two half marathon, so it's like sub form inute case. That's that's quick for anywhere. It's quick for anyone. So you've like, at this division, you've got athletes that can, you know, be endurance athletes, but also produce spectacular knockouts. You know, and I guess in the in the pro game that gloves are only designed to protect your hands, not your opponent's faces.
Speaker 3: So you get a lot more heavy a lot more knockouts. Anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for the most part, that heavyweight division.
Speaker 3: Is power power is king.
Speaker 4: Are you quite tall for your white class? Is quite a tall dude.
Speaker 5: I think I think I'm about right, but I think I've got I've got a frame that could easily move up to heavyweight. So, like Joseph Parker is about six four, he says he's six four, He's about six to six Tyson Fury is a real six nine. He's reel six foot nine. Like you see him next to me, I look like like a weeve.
Speaker 4: He's huge.
Speaker 5: He's huge, but a good basketball I doubted. I feel like you found his home in boxing. Like you see him running.
Speaker 3: He's not a good runner, but he could run all day.
Speaker 4: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: He's just he's he's got some kind of God given hellent.
Speaker 4: Then that's sort of the traveler magic.
Speaker 3: The drive man.
Speaker 5: It's pretty incredible. Like we do fifteen rounds of body spraying. When I went and trained over with Joe and Pyson Fury for for six months, we do fifteen rounds.
Speaker 3: Of body sparying.
Speaker 5: So I'm the smallest guy there out of like six heavyweights, and after fifteen rounds, all of us that shattered. Tyson's the only one that looks like he could do another fifteen. Really, and he's got a bit he's got a bit more padding. Yeah, he's got a motor on him. But nonetheless, nonetheless he's you'd look at him and think he's the most out of shape guy. He's the only guy that could have done another fifteen, you know what I mean. Yeah, so you my organs are like turning inside my road page.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: You spend a bit of time Morecambe. Then is that where you went to train with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did, I did.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: That was awesome. It was it was very cool.
Speaker 5: It was it was an eye opener. I learned how to how to fight. I didn't learn a hell of a lot. I learned technical aspects of the sport, but I kind of transitioned my my own mentality from in the amateur boxing, I felt like a competitor.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was.
Speaker 5: Competing when I went over there and I sparred with some really really tough guys over there, I feel like I learned how to fight, Like you need to be able to fight. It's not it's not a competition anymore. You're not trying to out point the other guy. You're trying to learn how to break your guy down and andiat him.
Speaker 6: And yeah, because it must mean but that's the thing. It must change, because you're saying when you're an amateur, you know, like you're saying your competitor, but we.
Speaker 3: Don't have to hurt them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's right. It's about points, you know. And at the end of it, you've got weird a head gear because its kind of like calm games. You know, it's very it looks very technically.
Speaker 5: They got rid of the head gear. But nonetheless, the gloves you've got about I reckon about six or seven centimeters of padding it in front of your glove and the pro and the pro game.
Speaker 3: Your gloves are.
Speaker 5: Made out of horse here, so horse hair really bins and molds around your fast. It's designed to protect your hand, not your opponents. So yeah, you get yeah, yeah, you get a lot more hurt. Yeah, yea yeah, must you've got dehydration, you've got you've got cuts, You've got a lot more impact, You've got a lot more time to take impact as well.
Speaker 3: So completely different game.
Speaker 5: And I didn't really appreciate it until I until I went over and trained with the lights of the Furies.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, and they taught you you're in the ring. You're in the ring to basically knock the fuck out of the guys.
Speaker 4: Guy. Yeah right, business, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: I watched the Fury Is at Home with the Furies, still one of my favorite programs, of him jogging on the waterfront there at Morecambe and then him looking down the barrel of the camera and him going, you know, I've made so much fucking money. I've got too much money. I don't even have to do with. Why would you want to live anywhere else? And it panned back and it was just like two kilometers of mudflats and the shitter seaside town in the world. But he was so fucking stoked to be there. Yeah, hard not to vibe off his energy even via the like everything was so positive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was. He seemed like a real dude.
Speaker 1: He had like a Ferrari parked in his driveway and he's like, I can't even fit in the car.
Speaker 3: Pull up on it, he offered, that's the black one. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: He asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin. I was like, I do not trust myself.
Speaker 4: Just get sideways, send it into a park car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah he did. He did look way too big for it coming out of it though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm speaking of living in strange places.
Speaker 1: You're living in Queensland town, like an hour out of out of Brisbane in Queensland.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got a population of about eight thousand, right, and it's kind of the borderline. When you start heading into into like the middle of Australia, it's like you start seeing cowboys and whatnot, like cowboys with the with.
Speaker 3: The cowboy hat cleats. Yeah, it's awesome and pretty cool.
Speaker 6: And they fly helicopters like Troy Dan.
Speaker 5: You no, no, no, no, I haven't seen many helicopters there is that there is an army base out there. They do some pretty pretty wicked, wicked stuff in there, and the jets out there.
Speaker 1: But why what is it called getting getting a t t O in Yeah, why are there a lot of boxers out there?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 5: So on my way back from Morecambe, I I was on my way to Melbourne for for a fight on the Devin Haney George Cambosa's undercart and I needed a coach for four weeks leading up to the to the Belt and so Dave Higgins from Duco lined me up with a coach, Noel Thornbury, who's my coach today? And uh I turned up the airport. Noel had twenty four hours notice. I was on the plane when he got the call. Oh, by the way, David's coming over now. So this is yeah, this is like still during COVID time. So I'm trying to I'm trying to fill out a form of where I'm going to be staying, like where will you be residing? And I was like I found I found a random hotel and like a nearby like a nearby area. I wasn't sure if I was training in Brisbane or where. They turn up and say, you know good A nol met his his son Cass and we.
Speaker 3: We just drove out into the country. So where are we going to.
Speaker 4: YouTube creak like that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But so we're driving out then and we're driving into into Gatton and I'm saying, like this is this is beautiful, like the lock your valley is a beautiful place. And he thought I was taking the pistol whole time. But I love it out there. It's like no.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 5: I tell you see every sunset post I put on my Instagram, Gatten baby, it's gotten. It's a beautiful landscape. I've got everything I need there. I'm dating Noel's daughter now, so I've got to be the best behavior and I am.
Speaker 4: That's worked out well. It's worked out really well.
Speaker 5: It's worked out really well with I'm a part time caretaker.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: I do the mowing, I do the whipper snipping. I do. I call it whipper snipping.
Speaker 5: Now, I do the gurney, water blasting, grab a drunk songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is long ploys. I'm gonna ge him over. I'm gonna check them up with my daughter.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love it out there. There's I've got my chickens, I've got my garden.
Speaker 5: It's like a very very simple lifestyle and it's something that I think I've I've always been longing for and you don't realize.
Speaker 3: What you I didn't realize I needed it until I had it.
Speaker 5: And now I like now, big cities overwhelmed me, you know, around too many people for too long overwhelms me, you know. And I've got everything I need in a small country town. We drive into Brisbane twice a week for sparring. That's all I need, you know, I've got. I've got wide open roads to to run with, fresh clean air. A few brown snakes the roads. Yeah, the brown snakes are they've killed a few of Nole's dogs and like we've seen a few around the apartments kind of thing. So it's pretty sketchy, but but I love it, like I just I just need to start wearing shoes, wearing shoes in the backyards because I was cus. You know, we walk around beer, I'm turning over logs. I keep forgetting that they've got like red backs like everywhere. Yeah, I got all these, like they've got every dangerous all every deadly spider in the world is in Australia.
Speaker 4: I used to live over in Australia for a bit.
Speaker 1: When I first went over there, we were playing backyard cricket and I hit the ball under the house.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'll go and get it, crawl under. Someone grabbed me by my ankles.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, yeah, don't do it, and then wonder I walked into a ship. There was a red back spider in the corner of the thing. I freaked out, so I ran back out, come back with a can of Flyesprey. Just dosed the whole thing. And I count that as a victory over an animal that could have killed me. Went one on one with some flyesprey. I went one on one with with an animal that could have killed me, and I killed it.
Speaker 3: This is seventy thousand dollars fine for killing your brown snake? Is it something something silly like that?
Speaker 5: It's it's it's illegal to kill brown snakes. But they'll kill your dog, they'll kill your children.
Speaker 4: Do they give no? Yeah? Exactly, Yeah, but it's bullshit.
Speaker 6: We've just gotta sat quite a bit of me about which animal do you think you could defeat?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, this is one of my I love this game.
Speaker 3: This is one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: I spent so much time thinking about that, so I reckon The rules are you're one on one, you're basically in ufc CA. Yeah, and then depending on the size of the animal that might need to.
Speaker 3: Sitting up on my seat ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So all right, let's start with something that's very similar to a human. What about like a kangaroo. Like obviously you're a boxer. This is the sort of forte boxing you could take kangaroo.
Speaker 5: I could take any kangaroo, I think. Yeah, in front of any kangaroo that you just can't let them grab hold of it, can't.
Speaker 4: They'll kick the ship out of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they rip your guts up. Yeah, because they get up on the old oh out of me.
Speaker 5: So they range between forty and eighty kilos, so imagine, yes, an eighty kilo diners.
Speaker 6: You a cruise aweight Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got a cruise aweight bird.
Speaker 5: They're prehistoric. They made it through the medior strike or whatever. Yeah, they're tough, right, it's tough. Could you take a could you take a forty kilos forty?
Speaker 4: Yes, Now, it would suck me up, it would. It would scratch me in a bit. But but.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen one in person.
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they make a noise like a it's like quite a deep noise that sort of reddles your chest a little bit.
Speaker 4: For eighty, I'm eight. Where's the crossover where problem is a problem?
Speaker 6: You're wayne, it's going to be awayn But again, tiny little heads.
Speaker 1: You know, if I can get to the head, I reckon, I can. I reckon, I can take it out.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what are you going to do to the head. That's how you're going to snap it.
Speaker 4: It's the neck. If I get hold of the neck, yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: Spinning backfast, dude.
Speaker 4: And then I'm like, no, you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't get your arms round because it's already got his talent. It's got to be a spinning backfast.
Speaker 4: I think maybe I get the elbows going again too close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to keep yours.
Speaker 4: You don't think you could jab that thing to no jab it's beak, no way.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying I'm getting out of this thing like unscathed. Yeah, like it's going to fuck me up.
Speaker 1: But I do think that I'd walk out with my hand raised at the end of it. I think I've had a theory that I reckon I could take out a giraffe.
Speaker 4: Oh hear me.
Speaker 1: It's because giraffes have to eat so often that it's eventually it's gonna have to take a nap before I.
Speaker 6: Have you seen when they fight? Have you seen when they brought me and then smack each other?
Speaker 4: That would clean.
Speaker 3: Getting your legs up for sure.
Speaker 4: That's right. I'm going to have to stay mobile for the first sort of twelve hours.
Speaker 3: Hold on, no, no, no, have you seen them kill lions? Them? So?
Speaker 5: So you think a deer does the same to a dog. Yes, yeah, a giraffe does it to a lion?
Speaker 3: What are we doing? What are we doing?
Speaker 4: I think, honestly, I was thinking.
Speaker 3: I was still thinking the neck, because'm still thinking about the neck.
Speaker 5: If I can grab on I think if you can get your arms around it, you might be okay.
Speaker 3: But how long can you hold onto his neck? But how do you get up there?
Speaker 4: It's just down.
Speaker 5: You've got to you've got to time it as it swings down, right, You've got a time.
Speaker 6: You guys are crazy. And then you're dreaming. Man, No one's beating a giraft a baby one that's just been born. I reckon I could clop there like real wobbly and then just take it down.
Speaker 1: But my theory was it's eventually going to get tired before I am. That's when it kneels down and now I'm rear naked, choking like you.
Speaker 4: Thinking you're.
Speaker 3: They live in like then the heat every.
Speaker 6: Day we go all day, Like after twelve hours, you're hungry. You're hungrier than the lions.
Speaker 1: Don't even mess with them, but they don't have the mentality that that's the difference. I think eating monkey taller than like knee height, I'm done. Monkeys are just too strong.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't want to rangutan. They will just clobber you with't they.
Speaker 3: A main coon? You know what?
Speaker 4: The cats?
Speaker 3: Big cat?
Speaker 5: I've cat sat for one of them before, and oh they're scary man.
Speaker 6: Well that's I suppose that there's got those one of those ones that the zoo, the slightly large at the servial. Yeah, did you take one of those on?
Speaker 1: Nah? I've been like, have you ever had your cat just freak out in attack you for no reason? Like tried times that by like four, I reckon.
Speaker 5: Cats put their claws in your yeah, yeah, like it all goes to your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So largest animal you reckon probably a kangaroo.
Speaker 6: Oh geez, I reckon I wallaby for me. I don't about to take a kangaroo. Koos get pretty big.
Speaker 3: I have seen one of the big ones.
Speaker 6: In the the ones with the chest, and.
Speaker 5: I've seen one of them like we get we get five foot kangaroos. Where we live, you're all over the shop up to like seven feet. Though that's bose things.
Speaker 1: My message works with animals. And she used to work at this private zoos sort of thing. I helped her feed one day and I was in this little trench. A giraffe put its head over the top, was eating out of the bucket in this hand. Then an ostrich comes walking up the thing towards me, and I was freaking out. Is an ostrich coming? She goes, if you're scared, put your hand above your head and it'll think that you're taller than it and it'll back down. So now I'm standing here, there's a giraffe eating out of my left arm, my right hand, my right hands above my head, and the ostrich just walked straight up to me and started eating out of the same bucket as well.
Speaker 3: Don't you put your head in the sand. Isn't that put your little ostrich head in the sand? I reckon, I said to the this is not working.
Speaker 4: She goes, oh, yeah, no, it doesn't work. I was taking the pit Is it worth.
Speaker 3: Us like mentioning we don't want to fight these animals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all hypothetic.
Speaker 3: Year before you get canceled, well.
Speaker 4: Before a kangaroo hears this.
Speaker 6: The other question that we spent a long time talking about over beers is you're in the ring. You're in a ring. It's a fight to the death, Okay, a fight for survival. And look, I'm not saying we endorse this, but I've got kids. There is thousands of kids in the crowd, and they're coming at you, five at a time, five at a time, and it's fight to the death. Wa Yeah, they're coming in waves. How many waves can you survive in that ring?
Speaker 4: And they're coming.
Speaker 6: They're not They're not there to just wrestle.
Speaker 4: They are to kill you.
Speaker 6: They're like they want to these Polynesian kids.
Speaker 3: You know, we've got Alex Lear Jr. As on my undercut. He's eighteen years old.
Speaker 5: I saw him fighting at fifteen and he's an absolute monster. I saw him hitting the paths and I was like, I actually know I've seen him at six years old.
Speaker 3: I'll see you in this video. I'll see you.
Speaker 5: This video of him hitting the pads at six years old. He still hits harder than I do today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, it's against them, they're five years old.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I know this sounds too the all different ages when it's a it's a representation of the of the demographic of New Zealand. So there will be all sorts coming at you. Yeah, so I reckon I could do. The other question is.
Speaker 4: Can you hear them? Do they cry? Because because.
Speaker 6: Cry because I've come out, You're like, they want to kill you and you're not the first one out and he will be crying for his much.
Speaker 3: Can we can we say these are like zombie kids?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, they don't make a noise when you hit them.
Speaker 3: They probably they're probably crying the whole time.
Speaker 4: No, I know, this is the discussion we have.
Speaker 6: And then the cacophony that would happen after six or seven waves have been put down would just overwhelm you and then you just go out. I'm done taking So you guys have been canceled.
Speaker 3: This is your last podcast.
Speaker 4: You listened stuff, David. This is okay, this is okay, definitely okay, it's not okay.
Speaker 3: It's just got my first beat of sweat coming through my shirt.
Speaker 4: Now you don't have to answer. I said, I would go.
Speaker 6: I said, I reckon, I do five, and then I'd be two paffed, and then they would just galler for me, you know, when they would have you got I got three and they can probably take me as But if it's fights for survival, and I did talk, can I have a cricket bat or you know, any weapons? And he said no, it's just pure. It's just because if we have a cricket bat, I'm becking myself just probably up to a dozen waves. But if it's just hand to hand, I'm five or six and then I'm done.
Speaker 4: It's basically a six waves.
Speaker 6: Yeah talking about yeah, but every it's every two minutes, so five come, bang, bang bang.
Speaker 3: The whole class.
Speaker 6: Kids, David, kids not human human? What about you and I? How many waves do you have it? Every two minutes? Five more come?
Speaker 4: It's a fitness test, man.
Speaker 1: I did a bloody boxing fitness class on Wednesday and I could barely get through a bag that didn't fight back.
Speaker 4: Hurrican word for maybe three How many kids are five? Five?
Speaker 6: Five year olds are coming to eat you? Every two minutes.
Speaker 1: Every two minutes, I flat line that first five year old I reckon. The other four are back in half. There's mombie kids. We've discussed this. They're there and they for them, it's survival as well. They're going to the death.
Speaker 4: Like like three and then I'm blowing real hard and then they're coming from behind. They're on your back. Yeah. Do I get a risk in between?
Speaker 5: I think as soon as you get taken down, yeah, yeah, as soon as you start hitting the deck.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, my guess. Thanks. Probably not where I need it to be, to be taking on waves.
Speaker 6: And knowing five year olds, they'll I'm straight for your nuts as well, straight for the balls. Yeah, straight for the balls.
Speaker 1: I think we should depart from this subject of conversation before it's probably too late to be fair.
Speaker 4: I wanted to did you actually ask you this before?
Speaker 1: But you haven't seen the video, But as Rader Sonya was filmed on k Road is outside standing outside of of his cars Flash Air Supercar and this dude's yeah, and there's a guy just in his grill basically like asking to fight him, and I was like, he posted a statement after It's like it's actually ridiculous that I can't go down to the diary after sparring and get a pie, like without someone accosting me. Have you ever had anyone like come up to you and I want to want to punch punch on or.
Speaker 5: Surprise man, I've like, I've made no enemies. I've made no I call myself the nice guy. Yeah, because I I make every effort to avert situations like that is he. It's probably a little bit different because he uses his mouth a lot. Yeah, and like ah, for that reason, he's so marketable, you know. But you'll get You'll get the kids like that that'll come and yeah, like you said, it cost you for just who you are, just to to to make a name. You know, I've I've never been in a street fight. I've never been in a fight outside of the ring. And I like, that's like a that's a winning record as far as i'm you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I've never actually.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm really quick to shut those down.
Speaker 3: But I could. I could fight, though I think it's not to say I wouldn't win the fight, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think it's madness.
Speaker 6: The guy you watched the video, a guy would have got his head knocked off his shoulders, Like, what's the fucking what, I don't understand it.
Speaker 5: I've been in camp with is He and I was I was in his camp as his main's striking partner before he fought Anderson Silva. Now Anderson silver was the reason, was one of the leading reasons why I started combat sports in the first place. I thought he was also like cut holes in my socks and do muay Thai on the bag. Yeah, amazing athlete. I was in camp with is He as his striking partner, so we would we would spar only boxing, obviously, but he would very so often the head close close, very very close, you know, So he would he would he would let me know exactly that there's it's a different range in in in the US, in the UFC and mixed martial arts.
Speaker 3: So he would give me a little like calf.
Speaker 5: Kick, like a like a little tap ye every soft just to let me know, well, I'm I'm helping him spine, so obviously I need to be a little bit more aware of like what what he needs from me.
Speaker 4: And I'm doing like an anders and silver impersonation sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So that was the first time, I actually switched predominantly to southboard because I'm an orthodox fight.
Speaker 3: I'm right handed, basically.
Speaker 5: Using my left hand essentially, it was it was quite difficult, but now I do it really well because of like that. So I would be sparring him, real competitive and stuff, but every so often he would remind me that he's got like six to eight different weapons that he could use against me, you know. So I'd back him into the corner double jab right hand. Whether I landed or not, he'd pulled me into it like a Muayti clinch, and I'd see my life flash before would come up this close to my face and it was like it was beautiful, but I'd I'd come back up like I've just seen a ghost, you know.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, Ah, that's that's a street.
Speaker 5: Fight, you know, that's that's that's how dangerous that guy is in a street fight. That that bloke I haven't I haven't seen the video yet, but that bloke has no business starting and that with a guy like he is the assault of the earth Man.
Speaker 3: He's that.
Speaker 5: He's one of the nicest guys you'll meet, and just disappointing that people have that kind of mentality around here, or like it's it's that weird tool poppies and the other thing we talked about crabs in a bucket. They all in a drag when I was down, and it's like why don't ye, why don't we pay more attention to you know that our when is we we got the most gold medals at the per capita, like we've got we've got everything going for us. We just need to we just need to keep recognizing those athletes because they're they're they're leaving the charge. He's one of the most famous UFC fighters in history because he's got that mouth and because he because he speaks his mind, because he's he's.
Speaker 3: That fluent in the ring and out of the ring, that.
Speaker 5: We should be applauding him and we should be like, you know, building him up, you know, but like people are so quick to kind of tear those guys down because it's like.
Speaker 3: You don't represent me, you represent our country man. That's what we're doing.
Speaker 6: Looking at that, I don't think people are going to be judging is he after that, I think they'll be going to go And that guy is the biggest penis to walk the planet, Like he you know what I mean. I was like, I actually felt embarrassed guy watching it. I was like, oh, dude, a fuck, come on man, because.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't have he wouldn't have gotten anything out as you would.
Speaker 1: He just walk away, Yeah, fingers car and walked off.
Speaker 4: Kind of got into his supercar.
Speaker 1: It's to get in his busted piece of shick because there's no win there is he like if he sparks his dude out, then what I don't know, it doesn't Yeah, anyway, would you ever consider UFC?
Speaker 5: I used to and really like, yeah, not anymore right up until you saw is he? Yeah? Right until I saw my life flash Wise was like this is like my uh, it's like a past life I've lived.
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah that it wasn't for me. Then it's not for me now yeah.
Speaker 1: So what's the looking at this? So you're on the road to the title Now that's that's the whole thing. Joseph Parker's come on as a promoter. What what does that mean for Joseph? Like what what is he actually doing as a as a promoter?
Speaker 5: And it's it's a it's a career after boxing. A lot of boxes don't have any anything in mind once they finished boxing. Tyson Fury is one of those guys that needs boxing, you know, like needs boxing for his for his sanity, you know. So Joseph, Joseph's a smart guy and he's he's planning seeds for down the line, and and I think he's gonna be a great promoter. So I'm blessed to have him in my corner because he's he's at the height of his career right now. You know, he's come up, he dipped back down and he's back on the rise, you know. So, uh, amazing timing for me to to have the likes of him in my corner and backing me.
Speaker 3: Do co events Thornberry Promotions, my coach, NORL. Thornbury.
Speaker 5: We've got Manuka Doctor on board as the as the naming right sponsor. We've got The Zone, I guess the first the first card New Zealand that the Zone is backing and they've and they've they've agreed to a multi fight deal where we can keep putting his on the Zone dot com.
Speaker 3: It's it's more download. It's like so it's an app.
Speaker 5: So that they've gone they've gone digital, like you can get it in any country.
Speaker 3: There's a subscription all there are pay per views like.
Speaker 5: You can you can, it's it's it's it's for our generation. Yeah, you go on your phone and you download it and you start watching.
Speaker 6: So it's D D A Z Y download that.
Speaker 5: Yep, and that will be that will be the only place you can watch this fight. And we've got a wicked undercar. We've got four heavyweight bouts on before mine and there. He was one of my childhood heroes and I ended up training with him at fourteen years old. I met him down at it was Ringside gym at the time. He was my first mentor, and like, what a great example of a guy, you know.
Speaker 4: He he ah.
Speaker 5: He kind of directed me in the right direction. I know there are a lot of rugby players that might not leave great accounts of themselves. Liam Liam was the right guy for me, like because he always pointed me in the right direction. I remember going I was in his corner for his first corporate fight. I think, yeah, I was in his corner and I remember he had he had per dims and he said, all right, Dave, I'm going to teach you how to eat. I'm gonna give you all my per dms on on the only condition is you have to spend it on food.
Speaker 3: And so I'm I'm like.
Speaker 5: A like a fifty kilo kid, like, yeah, yeah, how do we do that? And he took me around to all his different spots and man, we ate, all right, I've doubled my weight since then.
Speaker 4: Was one of them?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, very healthy, all healthy.
Speaker 5: Like steaks and sushi and yeah, the Japanese cuisine and like Asian fusion.
Speaker 3: Beautiful man.
Speaker 4: And then he's who's he fighting?
Speaker 3: Is it Jordan Simmy? Yeah, I don't know much about him. Was he an influencer?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well yeah, what is he just influence?
Speaker 3: He's just talking? Is that?
Speaker 4: Basically?
Speaker 1: He fought Hodges, Justin Hodges and one of the theeah okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I heard that's going to be a good fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Heard he can bang too.
Speaker 4: I heard he can bang. I mean he beat Hodges, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was some big storyline about how he wanted to beat Justin Hodges to prove to his missus that he could get her back, and he did it. But then she's giving him the flicks and oh man, no, he's back in the ring. But yeah, four absolute Banks are they still tickets available to the to the card itself?
Speaker 4: Can you still get along?
Speaker 5: It's black tie corporate event, and I think there's only two tables left us. Yeah right, yeah, ninety tables eighty eight sold, which is unreal. So ideally we'll get another card before the end of the year, which I'm hoping will be in a stadium, you know, so the so you're there, yeah, spark, I think thirteen thousand, yeah would be amazing. But yeah, live on his own, that's that's the place to watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, I think we've been knock the sing on the head before you get canceled.
Speaker 6: I've got one more. I've got one more thing. Every gifts that comes on here we do twenty two and two, which is twenty two quick fire questions straight off in two minutes.
Speaker 3: I'm really bad at these days. No, I have a logical mind.
Speaker 4: See yeah, it's just it's just one or the other.
Speaker 6: Go with your hat, okay, So, David Nikki, this is you're twenty two and two.
Speaker 4: Coffee or tea, coffee or drugs? Six hard or fast.
Speaker 3: Fast?
Speaker 6: Would you rather wake up nude next to Mike Tyson or George Foreman?
Speaker 3: Oh, George Foreman.
Speaker 6: Tie or Indian ty eat out or dine in.
Speaker 3: Dining?
Speaker 6: Freddy Mercury or Elton John Freddie Mercury, wet or dry? Dry dogs or cats dogs? Trevor Kelse or Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: I don't really know either of them. I'll say Taler Swift.
Speaker 6: I know Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor, and Evander Holyfield. Who's got the biggest downstairs? What boxing legend would you bring back from.
Speaker 4: The dead.
Speaker 3: Man Sugar A. Robinson?
Speaker 6: If the ceremony to bring back sugar Ay Robinson resulted in you talking like Mike Tyson for the rest of your life, would you still do itne?
Speaker 4: Have you ever fighted again?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Have you ever killed anything bigger than an insect?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Who is the most famous person you've met?
Speaker 3: Lenox Lewis?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, some Fury is pretty famous?
Speaker 3: Fury?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: If you had a reoccurring dream that a snowman killed himself with a hair dryer, would you be concerned? Say that again, If you had a reoccurring nightmare that a snowman killed himself with a hair dryer, would you be concerned? Uh?
Speaker 3: No, I think that would be hilarious.
Speaker 6: If you were offered a knighthood, would you accept it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: What age do you think people say they've had a fall instead of falling down.
Speaker 4: Sixty five?
Speaker 6: Have you ever screamed google me, motherfucker?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: If you if you were to get a statue made of yourself, what pose would it be and where would you put the statue?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: An example of this is we we asked Tim Saudi, cricketer Tim Saudi, what do you do? And he said he would be writing a stallion with that rearing up with its genitalia facing the door, and he'd put it on Daniel for Torre's front lawn.
Speaker 3: What no way mine would be?
Speaker 5: Mine would be like, uh, okay, it'll be It'll be Roughiki holding up Simba be me holding my chicken.
Speaker 4: Chicken. Nice.
Speaker 6: No, that's the that's the twenty twe twenty two and two. Thanks very much, there's a wicked Cheers guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Mat and go well next weekend. We'll be there ringside to cheer you on.
Speaker 6: You're a great and you're a great New Zealander and thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Cheers man, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the ACC's and Gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio. You get your podcast