Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from Newstalk ZB.
Speaker 2: Warriors assistant coach Slade Griffin with us. Thanks for your time mate. How pleasing a night was there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously, like it was just a great night for the club, Like just really proud of the boys, really proud to be a part of the club. You know, Fish come to the club, wanted to come home and ever since he's been really proud about obviously his culture and we wanted to do something like that last year and boys just went ready. But they've practiced it and you know, they did the hucker and it was just spine tingling scenes and I think that just obviously got them going. And yeah, look the boys have trained really hard for a couple of years and the build a game that we fell hold up in the big games. You know that Army stole style of footy and they got that on last night. And yeah, it was just a really good performance, like you said, against the minor premiers at the moment. So yeah, awesome night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pregame like a Tamata man. Spine shilling is right, man, It was amazing, even iman on television. It was amazing. I can't imagine what it must have been like there. So James Fisher Harris was one of the drivers of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was, Yeah, and he was. You know, some of the boys are a little bit nervous, they haven't done much of that in front of a big crowd like that, but he just gave them confidence. And really it was about representing obviously our country to be a culture, even Pacifica and the Maldi boys. So yeah, it was just awesome and like our crowd just got right behind them. You know. It was one of the loudest crowds ever been a part of SOS. Just an awesome night.
Speaker 2: Electric, Yeah, certainly was. And then on the field James Fisher Harris goes out there and has an absolute stormer. I mean, how influential is he in your playing group because we see him slat and this is no surprise to anybody. You know, he doesn't say a heck of a lot in media situations, right, and he's you know, he's pretty he's pretty low key, he's pretty understated. How influential is he within your group?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Very He just has an aura about him. He obviously believes in the hard stuff as well. Which has been very vital for us, and he leads that with his actions. But he doesn't speak a ton of training as well, but when he does speak, everyone listens, and yeah, he's obviously like he started really good. People hadn't even seen at the back end of the game when they were, you know, really coming home strong. He made a cover tackle after playing sixty minutes or something, so yeah, just those top of efforts instrumental for us.
Speaker 2: Luke Metcalf comes back into the side. Couldn't really have scripted a better return after such a long layoff in time out of the side. Were you expecting him to make that sort of impact straight away?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all know what he's capable of. I think it's also a credit to our forward pack like that just lay in such a good platform for us buying to playoff. But yeah, he obviously had his time out of the team and has been confident the bit to get his moment and he's been training really well for his moment. So yeah, we all know the class player he is. He obviously did it last year, so he's done his apprenticeship under Shawn Johnson as well, so he knows the club, he knows the system, so just really happy for him to get his moment coming back from that injury, and it seemed.
Speaker 2: As though he didn't try to do too much. And I guess that could have been the temptation, right, you come back in after so long away, So right, I'm going to I'm going to just take this game by the scruff of the neck and really take charge, which he did on occasion. But did you consciously speak to him or did the coaches consciously speak to him about not trying to do too much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean on the defense coach where he might have given him a little bit more of a clear game plan. But I think the whole year, we're just so confident in our Ford pack and our style of play, you know, playing a long game, dragging him into the deep ends of the Armory sole and then looking for the cues off that. So yeah, he brought him to the game plan and then he obviously added his what he can do on top of it. You know, he's such a good support player. Whenever he plays, he gets on the man he wants and can put people in the holy ones. So yeah, his speeds not many people have it, and it's nice to get that. Plus is kicking game that was obviously really helped us put them in some tough spots.
Speaker 2: Laka hello, Seema. Man, he just keeps on producing moments that make people set up and take notice. But from your point of view, Slat and that defensive sense, you know he's playing in the centers, that's different. You know. Have you had to work with them on his defensive reads and such, l.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, so we just have a long story short. We practiced our defensive fundamentals a lot, so our forwards train like our backs with our defensive movement. So we want to be a really well moving team, and Leck is one of our best defensive players. So yeah, when he gets thrown out there, he's just such a confident kid. He's not scared of anything. He actually played centers growing up, but it's obviously different at n our ol level. But yeah, he's so sound defensively that we all have confidence in trying them out there with his reeds the.
Speaker 2: Ten minute period where the Panthers sort of started to become the Panthers again, desperate to get back in the game. We know that they've got that in them. They have come back from deficits of that sort before a couple of tries, another one just allowed. What did you make of that segment of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just got a few things wrong on our right edge there, so we'll tide of that up this week. We're just a little bit disconnected, guys making reads outside of the system and they're not doing it together. So look, we had obviously wanted idea where Nathan was, because where he is, Jenny, the ball is going to follow, and he really took the game by the scruff of the neck there. Thought in that here we also didn't be ruthless enough, like we were giving them fast start to put a kicking down our left edge and Brian too picks it up and runs forty meters and gets a fast start where we could have turned it over in the corner and they're probably kicking it from inside their forty So there's a few moments we kind of let them out of their end and then put a lot of pressure on our defense. But we've got to be able to handle that as well, because you need the perfect But yeah, just shows the quality of Nathan a. So they left opportunities like that you give them to, you.
Speaker 2: Know, to be of you off and just to Finnish, so I'm just looking at the table here. Panthers thirty six rooster, thirty six, Warriors thirty four. The Sharks will probably beat the Dragon, so they'll go to thirty four, four games each. Left man, this is going to be a sprint down the home straight. How do you keep your heads?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously you just got to worry week by week, even training session by training session. So the boys get three days off this weekend. We give them a little mini buyers to freshen up again. The travel schedule has been really tough for them, so they'll come back in fresh and then yeah, obviously the goal is to get that top two because we'd love to play at home in front of our fans. I think they deserve it. So the boys, we're doing everything they can, but you'll literally have to take it week by week because every team's hard in this competition and they will deserve respect.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on last night's laid really special, special performance from the team. All the best as you hopefully get a bit of a break as well, and we look forward to seeing how the back end of the regular as implies out and beyond. Thanks for chatting as always, mate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so kids at home, so a little bit harder. I'm on told of How'm going to work for it easier, but no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Slide back to the family. Slide Griffin on News Talk Sead Basis
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Pine, Listen live to News Talk Shad b weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.