Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 2: Well, a very good morning and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. You're with Pete wolf Camp. That's me the Residant Builder, and we are talking all things building, construction, maintenance, renovations, alterations, additions, brand new builds. I spend a little bit of time via the email this week talking with people about a couple of interesting things, some practical stuff around maintenance, a couple of issues around I guess that involved neighbors and we'll dig into that a little bit more in the program. So in a little bit of time, I had some time actually this week to do some reading. Went through as a builder, as an LBP, we're on the mailing list for the brand's magazine which comes out, the Build magazine, which comes out I think every month. And in fact, the part of the reason that it comes out to LBPS my self license building practitioners is that there are a series of articles near the articles have a quiz and when you go to renew your license, as we have to do, we have to prove learning every two years, so you have to renew it every year. You have to prove learning every two years, which I think this year I have to do in September sometime. One of the ways to do that is to read the magazine and answer quizzes and then you have to submit your answers online, which is kind of an interesting process to go through. Anyway, So as I was reading through that, suddenly I'm pulling out these articles. There was one about car ports, there was another interesting one about building for climate change, because of course it's reflective of government policy at the time. So a lot of our building policy has shifted and the focus has been on the energy efficiency and so on in response to government directives. So it's been an interesting we process. And then yesterday I came in here to the studio and spend a bit of time with Tim Beveridge and the delightful nev Ritti Manu. It was lovely to be able to actually offer my congratulations to her. You may have heard that the New Zealand Radio Awards were on Thursday night here in Auckland, and news Talk zed B did particularly well. Station of the Year. My Costkings, Marcus Lush and Neva Routty Manu.
Speaker 3: Not to mention.
Speaker 2: Others as well. Of course we're all part of the recognition, So it was nice to sit next to award winning newsreader Neva ritty Manu yesterday on the program, and also delightful and for those of you who have listened to ZEDB for a while, and particularly back in the day when Tim was doing overnights and then over the summer break, Tim Dower, who I know outside of radio a little bit. I've done some work with him and done some work on his house way way way back. It was also recognized in the awards with a Lifetime Achievement award like an Outstanding contribution to radio, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. So great to see his name. And Tim Dawe would be a name that's familiar to many of you who have listened to News Talks EDB for a number of years, so nice to see him recognize for his contribution. I think he started in radio gosh, might have been sometime in the late nineteen eighties and has made a significant contribution over the years. Now we have a couple of technical issues.
Speaker 3: That are going on.
Speaker 2: There's a gremlin in the machine right now, so it might take us a little while to get things underway, but our lines are open and the number two call is oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. You can text to nine two nine two, which is ZBZB off your mobile phone, and if you'd like to email me, as a couple of people have done, then it is Pete at newstalksb dot co dot nz so p e t E at newstalksb dot co dot enz.
Speaker 3: So trust you've had a good week. Was it short week? Wasn't it? Monday was day off?
Speaker 2: King's birthday and now we're into it with I guess a couple of weeks and then Matariki is a friday. And I'm particularly focused on this because I'm looking through my son's sort of school calendar, going okay, so you had that day off, then you got another public holiday, then you've got the school trip this day.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem like.
Speaker 2: There's many days in the classroom sunshine. Anyway, that's another issue for those of us who've got kids at high school. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty. The lines are open. The number is as I just mentioned, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, and we'll come back with your calls in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Radio technical issues sorted. Thank you very much. Boss.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call and if you would like to text nine to nine two was zbz beef from your mobile phone. Emails up and running as well, Pete at newstalksb dot co dot nz. So during the actually without going into too much detail, because I realized it involves a neighbor. So I got an email during the week from a person who's going, hey, look, I've I've had a discussion with my neighbor who mentioned that they would like to bring on a container as storage, and you know, sort of aware that it might happen, et cetera, et cetera. But I've been away for a little while and I've come home to this and they sent me a photograph essentially right up alongside the boundary fence, like touching the boundary fence is a gee. I think it's a It might even be forty foot but at least a twenty foot container, so six meters long container right on the boundary and on a sloping site, inevitably slightly sloping site. Inevitably that means that one end has been lifted to keep the container level, so it stands even higher over the boundary fence. And then once you open one of the doors on the front of it, that adds about one point two one point three meters to it. So you can imagine, you know, the better part of seven point three meters of steel container smack bang on the boundary outside your window looking at the view. So what do you do about that? So apparently, and this is the investigation from the correspondent, let's say, was that they approach council, and council said, well, look, you can have a container on site and it can be close to the boundary, but it can only stay there for a month. It would seem that this particular neighbor has added some doors and is building a deck on it. It sounds like this thing the intention would be that it's staying for a while. And so I had a quick look through some council regulations around the location of sheds in that and it's something that we've talked about on this program a number of times around rules around buildings that don't necessarily require a building consent. And I guess something like this a container which seems temporary, but if you've put it on poles and you've added a deck to it, and you've got a door and you're running some power to it. You can't then just say, look, it's only temporary, particularly if it stays there for a year, even if it is portable. So counsel allow you to have something like that there for a month. This has been there for more than a month, and I think it shouldn't be there. And there's quite clear guidelines if you look through Schedule one of the Building Act, which talks about, you know, the types of buildings that you can could possibly build without necessarily requiring a building consent. It also goes into quite specific detail around where they can be relate located in relation to the boundary. Certainly on the boundary, not at all. Right, So we'll be interesting to follow that one again for the next little while. Oh wait, I mean to be blunt. It's pretty inconsiderate, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's how I would say it.
Speaker 2: Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call John A very good morning to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hello, Pete, I love listening to your show on the way to work.
Speaker 3: Good on you're forgetting up on a Sunday and hour of work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I've got an old nineteen twenties house, yes, and I'd like to put insulation underneath it. I want to do it myself. It's not a long room. But what I when I first climbed under it all looked quite nice because it looked like I had sort of big beams or whatever you call those things running all the way up their house. But when I measured them, they range sort of I'm going from memory now, they range from about three twenty up to about four point fifty. They weren't the same width right looking at putting in some of that polystyrene stuff, and of course that had to be cutting it, and I know there's different you can get different types of that with different sizes. It seemed really deep too. I think it was about one fifty two hundred deep standard YEP. And so I was down Bunnings the other day and I was looking at different types. And you've got like the wooll types, and there's there's also stuff that's got a like a lighting on it that you can put up. Before I've left, I looked at the big sheets of polystyrene because I want to try to do it as as easy as I can, because i'll be.
Speaker 5: String it on my own.
Speaker 4: Sure, and i put a big sheet of provided at fits, and I've got a measure that add up of just balistarrene and just don't put it in the gap if it's all level, just put it straight across from a gap.
Speaker 3: That's the okay.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting where you're heading with it. So your thinking is instead of cutting pieces of insulation and slotting them in between the joists, that you would take large panels of insulated material and fix them to the underside of the joist.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 4: Just wack them straight up and straight across, provided it's level and up, and just not come in with a with a nail.
Speaker 2: Probably that's I'm just sort of pondering all of the steps involved in doing that and and okay, so there's going to be a couple of challenges. One is that possibly the joists are not going to be particularly level, but then again that's not I mean, unless they're massively out, it's not really going to make a difference. The other thing is how are you going to fix it? Is it easy to maneuver a large sheet like that around. It would be interesting to know whether the effectiveness of the insulation would be either enhanced or diminished by having such a large air gap, because effectively you've got that space of one hundred and fifty mili.
Speaker 3: It would work if.
Speaker 2: You could make it almost air tight, and that would be a real challenge. So essentially, the way that insulation works is by trapping air. So what you don't want with insulation is the ability for air to move through it. So if you've got gaps and cracks or you can't, like if you were doing a layer underneath, if you had any gaps in there, and you could possibly fill those gaps, let's say with expanding foam. So as you put one panel up, you do a bead of expanding foam along the edge of it, and then you jam your next panel into it. But then when you get to the perimeter of the house, I suppose you could butt into the bearer and do a neat bead of seilant of some description or expanding foam through there. Look, it's an intriguing notion, and I wouldn't mind actually having a conversation with some boffins about it during the week. I think that if you look, it might sound like it's a cheaper option. I think it will take you a lot lot longer to do that than it would if you bought the kits of let's say you're going to go for expole under floor insulation right that when they typically they're made for joys that are either at six hundred centers or full fifty centers right, And then what you find is that the material is extruded to have a certain number of ribs on the edge you need to adjust it. You're just running a knife through half the thickness of the panel and cutting through the like the web that holds that piece on. So it's easy to adjust the smaller ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I looked at those and they looked interesting. I just thought it might be really messy. I wasn't also sure just whether I think we were rated at one point four or something, and I'm not sure whether they were thick enough.
Speaker 2: One point four is about the minimum standard that we require, right, So look, you will get if you've got no insulation under there at the moment. You will get a significant boost in warmth inside the house and preventing heat loss if you insulate the underfloor. I can guarantee you it'll make a big difference. If you do it really neatly, that you fill all of the gaps. And then while you're under there on your way out, if you could put a vapor barrier down on the ground, that would make a significant difference as well.
Speaker 4: When you stay on the ground, so I can lay it on the.
Speaker 3: On the on the soil.
Speaker 4: There rather than stabbing it on the Jewish.
Speaker 2: You know, the vapor barrier goes on the ground. So if you're in a nineteen twenties house, chances are you've got like vertigal boards around the outside, so you've got a reasonable amount of air flow. In fact, if the air flow is about twenty five percent of the surface area, then the effectiveness of the vapor barrier is not as great because you're not trapping air in there or moisture underneath that because you've got the air flow. But look, in general it makes a significant difference. So combine the two things together that will will make a big difference.
Speaker 3: And then you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: If you don't want to do polystyrn, then of course you've got that. You've got wall options. You've got autech green stuff which is pretty easy to install, comes in a long roll, and because it's flexible, you can you know if you've got one that's let's say four to twenty wide, and another one that's four hundred wide and another one that's three seventy, you could use the same material because it will just bend in to that space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which one did you call that?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's there's a number of underfloor insulation products. So you've probably found the expole, which is the polystyrene. I'm not sure which brand of wool insulation you might have found there, the one with the paper on it. Now, what that's there for? Going back to my earlier comment about insulation works by trapping air, so that one that has like a blanket attached to it or a lining to it stops air entering the insulated space, right, So it's what they call a wind wash. It pushes the air away or stops the air entering it. So there's some advantage to having that as well. And then there's the one hundred percent polyester ones, which is the or tex one. So there's a couple of options out there. You're in for quite a job, but it will be worth it, and I commend you for doing it.
Speaker 3: Oh, talk with you all of us. Take care there, bye way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a bit in the old underfloor insulation I have. I'm just trying to think about that whether or not there would actually be a performance boost, let's say, to the insulation if you did a continuous layer of polystyrene underneath, it's effectively if you've seen some stuff at the moment, there's a lot of discussion around warm roofs, right, So again it's this whole thing about ensuring that we've got continuous insulation around the perimeter of our building. So by cutting insulation putting it in between joists or rafters, we're creating these thermal bridges, which is where the timber is. So a couple of pieces that I've read recently have suggested, let's say with roofs, that we do a continuous layer of insulation right over the roof, and often that's a polystyrene type of product or an EPs product over the top of that, and then you fix your roofing material down over the top. So if you took that theory and you did it to the underfloor, and you may it really neat and you ensured that air didn't get into the gap between the underside of the flooring and where your insulating layer is, and so you had this pocket of about one hundred and fifty militer of still trapped air with your insulating layer below it would that be more effective than having pieces of insulation up against the flooring. I might do some reading on that. That's very interesting. Oh eight one hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a question or a comment of a building nature or come back with this text after the break Hey, Pete, what do you think about the new RBNZ So the new Reserve Bank of New Zealand income rules will slow down new home building?
Speaker 3: From Josh.
Speaker 2: I will have a think on that during the break back in a moment. Just another great text and I will come to that in just a moment. Let's do this quickly, Pete, do you think that the new Reserve Bank of New Zealand income rules will slow down new home building? From Josh? So the new rules in a nutshell to the best of my ability. And I am no economist, although I did have a nice chat with an economist at the Radio Awards the other night, which was good fun. Is essentially that as a home a person wanting to buy your own property, you can borrow six times the income, and I presume that what that means is household income. So if you're a person on your own, it's times your income is where you're lending tops out. And if your household, then I presume that it's your combined household income and then times six. If you're an investor, it's income times seven. Here, I guess what it will do is it will limit the crazy large mortgages that some people families have ended up having.
Speaker 3: I think, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Look more to the point, new home building has not quite ground to a state still, but it's the numbers are pretty low right now. I mean, the developers are out of the market because the market demand has dropped, possibly because of lending rules, most likely simply because interest rates are as high as they are and people are having some time to adjust to that. Again, you talk about interest rates with people, and you know, I know my brothers who are a bit older than me. You know, when they bought their first houses, they were paying nineteen percent interest. I know when we had a mortgage, you know, twenty odd years ago, we were paying nine percent or I mean, and I had mates who were paying twelve percent. So yes, seven percent or six and a half percent feels like a lot when we had mortgages at two point nine to five and three. But it's not historically terribly high numbers. But I think until demand comes back into the market, we won't see much more new home building, unfortunately, and then we will go into the typical cycle of suddenly the market will recover, rice will rise, and it'll be and you know, we've figured out that we'll hang on if one hundred and something thousand people arrive in the country, they've got somewhere to live, and suddenly we've got a housing shortage, and so we go back onto that treadmill of boom and bust and other quick text too. Hey Pete, if warm air rises, how does it go down through the floor? Probably poor terminology in my part. Yes, you write warm air rises, and as it does, it draws cold air in to replace that. So it's a convection that happens within a room. And what the underfloor insulation does is provide a barrier to that cold air coming into the house. So yes, it does rise, it doesn't go down through the floor, although heat will escape out through the building all over the place. And we know that from enormous amounts of research that have been done around heat loss from out through our building envelope, and it's somewhere around fifteen to twenty percent can go down through the floor. Typically it's about anywhere up to forty five percent up through the ceilings, a certain amount through the glazing, a certain amount through the walls, et cetera. So trapping and stopping that air from leaking out and taking the heat with it is important in terms of draft proofing, but then providing an insulating level that means that as you're right, as heat rises, that more cold air isn't drawn in from blow hence underfloor insulation. Good morning to you, Craig.
Speaker 7: Good morning. How's it going today?
Speaker 3: Hey good? Thanks made yourself.
Speaker 7: I can't complain too much, really got to Yeah, Well, people get sick of you complain too much and they don't call you back.
Speaker 8: Question.
Speaker 7: I've got to the crude. Mine's got a house down and take a rah. It's an oldest stylehouse with a basement underneath made out from what we can work out some in the blocks. Yes, at below ground level yep. But then on the back of the basement there's a little tunnel that comes out of it made out of it looks like eighteen hundred high drainage of sewage quotes right, And then that goes about eighteen meters through it into the back section and then it goes into another thing made out of cinder blocks, which would we've missed it as twenty meters by nine meters in size under the ground like an old Yeah, we believe it's probably like an old at one stage the old people live. They may have been used as a bomb shelter back in the oldery because there's an older house.
Speaker 2: I don't know that there was ever a great danger of people in Tokaro are being bombed by anybody I know.
Speaker 7: But they grit Temothy back in those days. They may have. Wow, it's got a big concrete pipe that comes up for a ventilation down the back there, and it's got a lot of like those little old stuff things you see in buildings with the women just blows the thing around a four year into that. But he's got a hip pump down in the basement area. And we're wondering whether whether there's be an idea to actually get one of those, you know, like the fan units you have and like the bathroom. She goes up to the ceiling through that flexible thing outside, putting one of those in the basement you are, and having like solid TVC pipe running down their little tunnel piece to the back part to blow warm mirror into the other area to try and keep the moisture out a little bit.
Speaker 2: So the other area.
Speaker 7: Wow, So yeah, he bought the house. He bought the house and moved away some old metal cabinets in the corner there's a tunnel, and he goes.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's really really fascinating. It'd be interesting to ask around the neighborhood if anyone I suppose it's going back a little bit too far, you know, because I.
Speaker 7: Mean that's that's a nineteen forties I think was here.
Speaker 2: Has a lot of material to excavate out. I mean it's a lot of effort to do that.
Speaker 3: He would.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was going to say, all the other houses in the area are on sloping sections and those one.
Speaker 3: Flat, so you kind of know where that soil came from.
Speaker 7: The house is like, what was that one flat for it? And they didn't realize about it. They move in the cabinet out of the way and go, oh wow, Well men cav literally.
Speaker 2: Okay, and the moisture that would inevitably be in that sort of tunnel that cavern at the back doesn't sort of impact on the underfloor of the existing house.
Speaker 7: No, No, it goes out through the back wall. Yeah, but we've done it. But digging around the back lawn and it seems like the whole thing is covered with like the tunnel part gravel on the outside of it, on the outside tween they're in the dirt. I mean you did when you go through that. There's quite a thick like a preboc membrane around it as well, so it looks like it's kind of spent a bit of time on it. So there's no there's no moisture that comes in through the walls. I was worry you probably get water leaking through the walls, but there's no like salt built up on the on the eastel brooks itself, so it doesn't seem to getting any more moisture coming through, right. It tends to be a little bit cold.
Speaker 2: But yeah, how how it was absolutely fascinating. Well yeah, I mean, look, putting in, yes, putting in vtilation will help control moisture, right, so you know, damp ear is moisture laden and a little bit of ventilation will help that. And I suppose a little bit of heat if they wanted. What do they use the space for? Like a I mean it would be a very nice wine cellar.
Speaker 7: Nothing at the moment he's looking at possibly turning it into a games room, and wow, it's like, well twenty meters by talking at the paper now, yeah, it's twenty meters wide by about nine nine and a half meters deep and the ceiling wow, no concert pads at the top is two point four So it's pretty not too much feeling, but pretty good. But we just when we having them shift in there and mosic cabinet away and go what's this for it? And he goes, I don't know, so you have become of torches. Walk down it's like this goes maybe it's just a little tunnel something or whatever, and then it opens up and walked in the big ear and like, oh crap, wow, and I guess this city you've got. You technically got like a six bedroom house now if you put rooms in there, but you probably can't because.
Speaker 2: There's no that would never be considered a habitable space. But look as like you say, as a workshop or a games room or yeah, blimey.
Speaker 3: Anything the zombie apocalypse.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one thing I thought about doing was maybe cutting hole in the corner of the roof on one side of it and put it in maybe external access, just in case, you know, for a you can get out through there as well. We would be a little bit safe safe could probably do.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's got to be some fairly significant engineering in that roof as well, because an unsupported or their posts through the middle of it.
Speaker 7: There's big message rjs that run from one end of the building long ways right from one end to the other, and I like the sho rsts is probably about I think from what we can remember. What I can remember about six and a half million flicks steels, so the guys and it's all like bolted through with the I think the guy must have been an engineer or something because it's overcoll for what it is.
Speaker 2: You got to remember that like mung Akino and that were often there was all of that work that was done on the hydro center right on the tunneling when they created the hydro dams and the hydro system back in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 3: Because we used to visit.
Speaker 2: A family friend in mung A Kino back then, and he was a bricklayer and he'd been involved in that whole area. That was a huge part of the industry at that time. And you just wonder whether someone who kind of you know, worked all day doing tunneling for the hydro system comes home and carries on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it brought a few supplies, that's right, and quickly.
Speaker 9: I think it's just going.
Speaker 7: To mention quickly was the guy putting the insulation across the joys and all that. The only problem I can see down the track is if you have a problem with plumbing electrical, you're going.
Speaker 3: To can't see it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you need to cut the whole thing out to try and find where the pipe runs and then trying to seal that back. And again it's just would be easier. I would thought they have the insights between the jaw and you can just pop them out and then put it back.
Speaker 2: And if you're require Yeah, and I tend to agree with I think that it sounds like a great I'm sorry, I'm just laughing because I've just got to text them from someone going that's a breaking bad drug factory.
Speaker 3: There was a comic around into hydroponics.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I've got to go down here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you take a photo or something like that, I see it to you, that would be awesome, that would be awesome.
Speaker 7: We'll see if we can sort of timber put a couple of hanging pockwards from the rail house and then and then you go through the tunnel and bottom parts.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't know what the guy was thinking, what he was on, but as you say, preparing for this or whatever, but yeah, we made probably a good wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Hey, fantastic call. Really appreciate it and all they touch.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: One of the best things about the show for me personally, and I know I should include you, but I'm just speaking selfishly for a moment is that every now and then you have a conversation that you would never ever ever have expected to have, And that would be pretty high on my list of.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that coming because even you stay in the car, I'm driving around with the sun and he goes, so, what's on the show tomorrow? And I said, well, I don't know. I mean, I know what I what guessed We have in the next hour, and I know that Rood's going to be on, but apart from that, I have no idea what we're going to be talking about. And he said, so, what have you prepared? And I go, well, you know, I read stuff all week and I'm engaged, and that's sort of thing that I don't. I do prepare for the show, but I don't prepare in terms of Hey, today we're going to be talking about X, Y or Z. And to be fair, I would never have expected that we would be talking about an underground bunker and a secret passageway at the back of a basement.
Speaker 3: Ink.
Speaker 2: That's fabulous, and yes, thank you for all the text messages about what you could do with that space. We'll take short break. We'll be back with Steve in just a moment. I'm still smiling, to be fair about that last conversation. I mean, what a remarkable discovery. So essentially, in the basement you pull aside some cabinets, there's a tunnel literally one point eight meter diameter pipes that leads down to a twenty by six basement underground and look, I get the texts about you know, the potential modern day uses for that space.
Speaker 3: I suspect that, given that.
Speaker 2: It was done back in the day, those non legal activities are probably unlikely to have been the motivation for that space. Fascinating though, isn't it. Hey, Steve, good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Good Steve Pete. Just wanted to talk about the DTIAR. You're talking about the economic environment, Yeah, sure, and the effectives having on the building and street. What I'm seeing is that it's absolutely pretty dire out there and it's almost collapsing. And I'm predicting New Zealand, the New Zealand construction industry, I think may lose up to fifteen to twenty percent of its workers and a lot of those will probably be new unfortunately, newly minted builders who have probably gone out on their own because they just don't have the networks for support themselves. And it'll be guys people who have got into it. And this is another bug bear in mind. Remember when just Finder and Labor government, we're just pushing trades training like it's the greatest thing on earth. It's just going to keep on going. You're going to make lots of money. That brought in a lot of people who probably shouldn't have been The building industry. They didn't really have a natural aptitude or enjoyment for it. And you know that annoyed me because they treated the building industry like it was just a dumping ground. And why should it be any different to say the law industry, Right, you're not going to say that everyone can go under law. You need a natural have to choose the things, don't you. And the building industry was treated like a bit of a dumping ground for people, and they don't realize that building industry is a bloody half place and unless you actually like it out there in the grind.
Speaker 2: Right, And I guess you know you and I and with growth respect, we're probably about the same age, and so we've probably been through these downturns, right, and we kind of know that we enjoy the good times while they're out there, but ideally you're squirreling away a bit of cash or you're reducing debt because you know that it doesn't last, right, and enjoy it while it's there. And I guess I have been for the last couple of years, but worried, you know, looking around when it was boom times and there's lots of new vehicles and there's lots of new jet skis, and there's guys buying boats and all the rest of it. And I'm going, you know what, there's going to come a time when you might need that cash just to keep your business going.
Speaker 7: So it is the first thing to say that exactly the same thought made all those young guys gone out buying these new ranges and all that. And it's like because they thought the party would never end, and look at the last ten years and said, you know, we kicked off after the GFC. It was like that, wasn't it. I started, God, are not is this going to keep going for forty fifty years? I never went out on a spending spree. No, you want to try and reduce your mortgage, you get, But do you know what the problem is that we get this talk about Okay, you know, get yourself a bit of a get it head of yourself right reduced there and all that kind of thing. But you might even get yourself a decent sort of personal reserve, right bit of money in the bank, have your mortgage down, but if you've got living expenses, if you don't have work within three months, even when you have no debt, you can go down very quickly, even in those circum stance is just due to the costel living, having to support your family with just the day to day belts. Now, these guys who are on one point by, you know, these couples have got themselves and like over a million dollars and they're now gone from three to four percent up to seven point five percent with no you know reprieve. They're suffering now. And people, look, I'm self employed, right the zimon stros can be a builder, got restudying and got into architecture. So yeah, I started that the same time as you, and I started my apprenticeship just after share market crash in eighty seven. And this feels like then, not even if it feels worse on GESC. And I'm getting multiple people calling me now which I've never had, looking for work, and I'm not even I don't hire a building here that I'm an architectal And maybe I'm just.
Speaker 2: In that sense, I'm not too dissimilar to you where I've I've had a couple of takes and a few phone calls over the last couple of months from I suppose people that I've worked with over the years who have never been short of work. Who are suddenly going, hey, you know I've got even if they've got no work, Suddenly they don't have one job rolling on to another. And you know, every day you're sitting at home, you're going backwards, right. And I think the other thing that's turned around pretty quick is eighteen months ago you just if someone rang and said I want you to do a job, you just go, here's my rates, and if you pay it, I'll start. And so people weren't pricing, and I suppose in that sense, to be fair, there was a little bit of complacency that crept in. Right, Hey, I don't have to price for work. I don't have to try and stay on top of my cost that much. People will pay me whatever I feel like. And that's gone suddenly. So it's fairly competitive. And for those that haven't worked really hard at building up their network, you know their clients because I think again, most of us that have been around for a while, we've ended up with those clients that might come to us when things are quiet. I've put off doing a job because I was waiting for the right time, and now might be that right time, and the other I'm going to have to move on. But The other comment that I would make too talking to a number of people is this is arguably exactly the time that the government should be pumping the building sector in terms of stuff that they need to get done. And I'm involved in schools and that decision to abandon a whole lot of school building and extension programs. I understand why they did it, because I think nobody had a real idea of what the costs were. But if you need to build, and you need to build public stuff, housing, schools, hospitals, do it right now because right now is the opportunity that you can control your costs a little bit better, there's much more availability. Now is the time to do it, because inevitably we'll come out of this, right I think.
Speaker 7: Again, Yeah, environment, and I tell you it's not different.
Speaker 2: That's the slightly worrying thing is that, you know the number of people that I've talked to.
Speaker 7: Just quick, quick, quickly, when people were talking about the high interest rates my seventies when they were like seventies, but they actually got their mortgages at that time and then interest rates started coming down, So yeah, there were times they were already stress tested at that high interest rate.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: These young We've got a whole lot of people who are stress tested at three percent now and it all gone up to seven percent.
Speaker 2: No, I think that anyone who got loans at three percent and to be fair onm in that boat, you know, I know that the bank behind the scenes were testing it at seven seven and a half percent.
Speaker 3: But we're close to that now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I look, it's not pretty out there, and it's I was really hoping that we would see some green shoots around September, October, November. Now I'm thinking, really, you've got to hang until the beginning well into next year, maybe quarter two of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, And the government's kind of have to bring in people, mate, They're going to have to open up that floodgates actually stay the country.
Speaker 2: I think, Well, I don't know whether I mean arguably that that's like a full stimulus to the economy.
Speaker 3: I just wonder whether No.
Speaker 7: But we need it, mate. It's the only I think it's the only tangible thing that can bring money into this country. And it's always saved us. We connect at ourselves thinking we're our own little engine and we can do it all ourselves with our own This number why mentality has proven to be a pelvis you.
Speaker 2: I agree that we probably need you know, I've just been in Melbourne, right and Melbourne's five million people just in Melbourne, so I can see you know, you can see the scale of.
Speaker 3: The economy there.
Speaker 2: So I don't disgree with you about population numbers, whether or not we by bringing a whole lot of people suddenly we actually just exacerbate the issues, or whether I really do firmly believe like right now is the time for government to be going. Actually, you know what if we need to do some school building, throw away those old contracts for sure. But you go to the market right now and I think you get.
Speaker 3: Really good rates.
Speaker 2: Good of you to call, really appreciate the comment and the insight. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We've got new sport and we're the top of the are. But before then, Jason, good morning to you, good.
Speaker 6: Morning, good money.
Speaker 10: I'm Jason Allen.
Speaker 11: I'm a driver of God.
Speaker 6: I was with him.
Speaker 2: And then I well, I might be off to mass later on today. I'm not sure that we want to talk about that right now. I'll tell you what, Daryl, if you don't mind, just hold on till after the news, because otherwise we'll end up crashing into the news and it'll be a hastily wrapped up conversation. A couple of text messages, Pete, what's the best product out there to keep gutters clear of leaves?
Speaker 3: We've got very high gutters.
Speaker 2: It's extremely difficult to reach them from donner. Look, there's a couple of options out there. There are sort of the permanent solutions. I a mesh that's fixed down onto the roofing itself, whether it's concrete tiles or long run and then fixed down onto the gutter and so material just shoot right across the top of them. That's out there. There are a couple of sort of more DIY solutions, so like the gutter foam for example, or the whiskers that you can lay in. They require a little bit of maintenance. The gutafoam one I have used a little bit, and I kind of like it in the sense that it provides a flat surface and the leaves don't get stuck in it. I've got one place that I look after that has the bristles like a bottlebrush type thing that sits in there, but leaves will get trapped in it. So every now and then, in fact, it's on my list of things to do, pull those all out rints out the gutters and go back. There are also some people who do gutter cleaning using a vacuum, like on a periscope type vacuum, so they'll come and suck that out. So, yeah, you can do it. So there's a couple of options there. We'll talk about screw popping and someone previous I had previously mentioned a product or a mixture that has good results from removing black mold on timber windows.
Speaker 3: Oxalic acid. Oxalic acid.
Speaker 2: You can make it up into a little pain invited chemist and apply that and it helps to It's like a poultice and it draws out that stain. You can also buy I've noticed at some of the hardware stores, like a stain remover for timber as well, effectively oxalic acid, but already in a package ready to use. It might take a few more calls with regard to some of those issues around the state of the economy and building, but yeah, I firmly believe that now would be a good time for the government to get into the building game.
Speaker 3: Back after the breaks.
Speaker 12: In the whole, stir the heart.
Speaker 13: We took a heart love, but we're all right. Yeah sure cantra to put love do it?
Speaker 14: Bird?
Speaker 12: We this right is so than's ever gone. Move it when the bones are.
Speaker 15: Good, rest, don't you're the pink or feel that's goo shadow that the.
Speaker 12: Boy, because you will have remains.
Speaker 15: When they crack in the foundation, Debano the stone, Well, visit the bound We stayed the hastn't fall in the bones and good well.
Speaker 2: A very good morning. Welcome back to the program. It's Pete Wolf came the Reason Builder here at News Talk c B for the Reason Builder on Sunday and we're taking your calls on all things building construction ideas around insulation this morning. A fantastic story from Craig. Seriously, I've never ever heard of something like the subterranean structure that was discovered. It makes place after they bought a house in the Central North Island. I'm now going to be slightly secretive about the location just in case it generates a lot of unwanted interest. So fascinating story. In a basement, pull aside some cabinet, there's what looks like a tunnel and it really is leading to another entire subterranean space, a chamber located in the backyard, vast proportions as well. Fascinating story. And then we have kind of straight into I guess stuff that's not strictly related to the nuts and bolts of building, but the state of the building sector is of genuine concern, both to people who are working into it and to the economy in general. We're about building sector is about fifteen percent of GDP right, so if it's having a hard time, it's indicative and reflective of the economy having a hard time. I was at a pre cut pre nail manufacturer this week picking up some materials.
Speaker 3: And had a bit of a chat and I said, how are you going?
Speaker 2: He said, well, it's pretty quiet. We're down close to fifty percent. Now that's a significant drop in output. And went on to chat for a little while, and they've let a couple of people go, and I'm sort of going, well, I'm guessing that people who you know, if they're on the floor in the factory and you're letting them go, you know what sorts of jobs are they're going to be able to find. It's not easy and throughout the construction sector. You're hearing this all of the time, so anyway we might have some further discussion on that. I actually was at the Radio Awards. Brad Olsen was there, who's a regular contributor to various parts of zb's show, and again we were talking about the construction sector and what sort of green shoots he might see. Yeah, it might be a while. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We're talking all things building and Darryl, thanks for waiting.
Speaker 14: Good morning to you, Good morning, Pete, thank you very much for having me on pleasure. Just yeah, So I've got an older house that's got no roof space. So if you stand inside, like say the lounge, dining room, kitchen area, which is all open plan, you've got a center being with the rafters coming off that you can see exposed with a jib up in between the rafters. Yes, very hot in summer, very cold in winter.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 14: So I've been looking at insulating. It Is that a matter of just snapping another layer of jib and framing underneath the rafters or do I have to look higher up and look at the roof itself.
Speaker 2: I guess because if you look at a cross section through there, you're right, you're what you see when you're standing there looking up is the rafters, and then there'll be is it actually jib or is it like a sheathing over the top of the rafters, and then if you were to look above that, you'd find a perlin. Now, depending on when the house was built, you might find that those perlins are a four to two, so ninety x forty five on edge, So you've got a ninety mili space with some insulation in there. So the insulation that they might have been able to put in there is possibly around R two. New Building Code requirements would mean that that should be R six point six, so more than three times the amount that you've gotten there, or even in the last couple of years, you'd expect there to be somewhere around R three point six, so about one hundred and fifty millimeters of insulation, which you definitely won't have.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: On top of that would be your roofing material. So you've got two options. One is, if you really like the look of the rafters, the exposed rafters, the depth of the rafter and the underside of the sarking or the ceiling. It's there, then it's take the roof off, increase the depth up there, and add more insulation to that.
Speaker 3: If you could tolerate.
Speaker 2: Let's say, let's do you know roughly what size the rafters are. Are they one fifty two hundred to fifty Like.
Speaker 14: If I measured them from in the actual house up to the job, they're looking at about forty with the layer of job.
Speaker 2: Yep, okay, So you know what you could do is put seventy five one hundred millimeters of insulation into the gaps in between the rafters and then fit new plaster board in there, and that would that would give you a significant boost because you'd add that number to whatever insulation you've got above the sheathing layer, and the two combined would give you a reasonable amount of insulation. And then what you would end up is with only fifty millimeters projection of that rafter, so you'd have some of the look of that cathedral ceiling, but not as much. So that would be that's relatively straightforward. You could also take an option and just go, you know what, I'm going to lose that detail in the ceiling and I'm going to strap straight underneath the rafters and fill that entire space with insulation. That would give you a quite significant amount of insulation. It will feel like the rooms a bit smaller and that the ceiling has come down, but it would definitely give you a lot of insulation.
Speaker 14: Would I have to look at any sort of having two layers of jib plus the framing twice for natural structure of the building that actually carry all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, if you've got access to an engineer or to a drafts person who or an architect who could do some calculations, I think it's probably worth considering. In reality, I don't know that adding one layer of plaster board and some insulation is going to stress the existing timber there to the point where you know you're worried about a collapse or something like that. But it's worth considering, And certainly it's one of the issues about oh well, if I put a new ceiling on, that's then I've got two ceilings. And you know, plasterboard still has a certain weight per square meter and you'd want to calculate that, and insulation itself is relatively lightweight and it's evenly distributed, so I think it's unlikely and Again, if you did opt for, let's say, putting a whole new ceiling underneath your existing choice, and you did do some calculation and found that the span the depth of the member was not sufficient for the span, you could always add another choice next to it and starting to become quite a big job. But that would or a flitch or something like that. But I think most likely it would be okay, and.
Speaker 14: You wouldn't have to worry about creating a cavity of no sort of ventilation in that cavity, not.
Speaker 2: In that cavity there. One of the concerns with that type of style roof is that often we have insufficient ventilation over the top of the insulation underneath the iron. So again, if they've taken a ninety x forty five and put that on edge as the perlin over the top of the sarking layer, ideally that shouldn't be full of insulation to the very top, because then you've got your roofing underlay over there and there should be an insulation get which means of course that they don't have ninety mili of insulation up there. It might only be it might only be fifty mili of insulation.
Speaker 14: I don't have opened some things in this house, and that it does look poorly built. So I'm not sure that would be an option. It was built sort of late sixties, early seventies.
Speaker 3: See, they may not.
Speaker 14: Take one of those cheaper sort of houses.
Speaker 2: Hey, look there may not be any insulation there at all. And look, you know we're earlier on we were talking about sort of underfloor insulation and this idea of having a continuous layer of insulation. If you you know, like if the roof, this is the other thing to consider. If the roof is from the original house, it's probably coming to the end of its life, right, So if you have an assessment, an overall assessment of the building condition and you go, actually, I think I'm a couple of years away from having to replace the roof as part of regular maintenance, that would be an opportunity. If you're going to take the roof off, you could then add more insulation or a different type of insulation, something that's more effective in terms of like an EPs board or something like that, like a dense polystyrene board to that, and then do the reroof. Now, that's uneconomic if you're pulling off a roof, that's still got some life to it, but if it's reached the end of its life, then you could go, well, actually, I'm going to take the roof off. I'm going to add my insulation there. Then I don't have to do anything. There's no disruption to the inside of the house. I'm adding my insulation, and if it's well detailed, you could end up with a really continuous layer of insulation, effectively a warm roof, which would be very very effective. But you've got to take a whole of building approach to it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, the roof doesn't look too bad, so I think probably framing and doing something underneath is probably the easiest best option.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because look, a reroof is going to start sort of in the thirty thousand dollar bracket and go up from there, whereas you know, doing something on the underside. Yeah, I suppose the most cost effective is probably to investigate an insulation layer that's like a semi rigid one that has reasonable For example, if you look at Kingspan, right, Kingspan, Yeah, make a product which is insulation adhered to plasterboard. So in your situation, you could think about taking whatever little beating is off around that's around the perimeter of the rafters, cutting neatly. You know, a plasterboard that's already got insulation on it, fixing that up directly, reinstating the bee, doing the stopping, and there you've got insulation, and with that would be kind of the minimum disruption or the least disruptive methodology. Okay, it's an option anyway, Yeah, yeah, I appreciate it. And as it I've spent a bit of time this week just going through sort of brands articles that I've had sitting on my desk for a while. And if you're interested in this area, have a look at the brand's website. There's a sort of a really good index of a whole lot of articles around insulation, retrofitting, upgrading, and so on. So brand's website's really helpful.
Speaker 14: No, that's perfect.
Speaker 3: Look at that, tummuch, enjoy, good luck, Thank you all the best. I got to say.
Speaker 2: What I like about the conversation that we just had with Darryl is around considering your options, because there are always going to be options, right, there's not always just one way of doing something. Excuse me, right, might have a short break and then we'll.
Speaker 3: Talk to you. If you'd like to call us.
Speaker 2: OH eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call here at news talksb There's never been a better time to start your solar journey than when you can get up to four free panels with Lightforce Solar. Install ten or more panels and get two for free, Install fourteen or more and get three for free, or install eighteen or more and get a huge four panels for free, plus a sun Grow battery to your Add a sun Grow battery to your installation and you'll receive an extra module worth three four hundred dollars for free. That's twenty five percent more battery power for free. Slash your electricity bill from day one with Lightforce Solar's expert installation team and high quality products. Plus you can earn airpoints dollars on all Lightforce Solar products and systems. New Zealand owned and operated Lightforce Solar have got you covered with a ten year workmanship warranty, twenty five year panel warranty and a ten year battery warranty. Head to Solar dot Lightforce dot co dot NZ to get your free quote, or give us a call on eight hundred five three seven six five two seven t's and.
Speaker 3: C supply Z me your news talk z B.
Speaker 2: We need to say the slower obviously these days interesting texts.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of these come through.
Speaker 2: The problem is the pricing to build a house or getting renovations done has got to a level it's outrageous. The tradesmen will have to work, but there's too many will have work, but there's still too many cowboys out there. Look, it's been an issue in the industry for as long as I've been building, and for a long time before me, and probably for a long time after me. And I guess some of that comes down to the discernment.
Speaker 3: Of the client, you know.
Speaker 2: And I remember years ago talking with someone and she had a small renovation and she got I think it was twelve p for the work right, and took the cheapest price and then wondered why it didn't go well. So, you know, maybe part of this is also, Yeah, the cowboys are out there, but they're only getting your money if you give it to them. Oh wait, one hundred eighty ten eighties. Then I would call Rheann, good morning to you, sir, very well, how can I help?
Speaker 5: I just have a question in regards to retaining wall. Mine was damaged in Auckland floods last year.
Speaker 14: Yep.
Speaker 5: Now my issue is my property border is a small reserve. Now it was constructed the house mid eighties. I can't find any record on a property file of retaining wall. The counsel has come back. They say they can't find any record of them constructing a retaining wall. And it appears originally one of us constructed that ground was sort of fairly even on both sides. My assessement would be it was more put up, you know, to be sufficient to do landscaping inside my section and stuff. Now it was pushed out a meter and a half or fifteen fifteen meters stretch, and in some places on the reserve there's a large L shape. Some places it's sort of when all the concrete has been exposed. How the original post only looks to be maybe I would say one point five to one point eight meters, and the geotech assessment says I now have to put it and a half meter long file into the soil there. It's is there anything that where it was originally constructed depends the liability for it or.
Speaker 2: Look, and it's probably not news that you would want to hear. But my approach would be if the retaining war is on your property, So if you if the boundary is determined right, either by a surveyor coming to do a boundary survey, or whether there are existing boundary markers in place, if the wall is on your side of the boundary, then it's your problem to deal with. And so because it would have been added for the benefit of your property, the fact that it happens to your neighbor happens to be the counsel in terms of a public reserve kind of really doesn't come into it. So it would have been in my experience, it would have been unusual for it to have been added for the benefit of the council and then become their responsibility. So I think if you if you know where the boundary is and the walls on your side, it's going to become your responsibility. Now you could try. And interestingly enough, when we had Hamish Firth, a town planner and with us last week in the studio, there was a similar question where someone realized that a lot of the water that flowed onto their property during those flood events last year came from a council reserve. So does council have a responsibility to maintain that area to ensure that it doesn't become a nuisance to you? Possibly they do. With all of the things that council have got to deal with in terms of flooding, your chances of getting anything from them is I think just about zero right now realistically. And then I guess if you're going to build a retaining wall on the boundary, that triggers a requirement for specific design because it's on the boundary, and that would mean that then you've got to listen to what the engineer is telling you, and engineers are risk averse. So, yeah, your piles that used to be a meter and a half long have now become six meter ones. And I know the cost involved in doing something like that. You know, potentially you're going to be spending tens if not maybe even over one hundred thousand dollars rebuilding a retaining wall like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's why I'm wondering. So that all depends on where it was originally constructed or is it where it's sitting now?
Speaker 2: No, I well, let's say it's now further into your property because it's collapsed. But if the base of the original retaining wall is clearly within your property, then it is definitely for your benefit, and I think unfortunate. Well, it means that you're responsible for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, the other way that the slipper is on the slip and the and the lots of soilers on the reserve side pushed out into the into the reserve.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If the wall though, is on your side of the boundary and it's collapsed and it's gone into the council reserve, then you're still responsible for it, because again I would have suspected that the wall was built to then raise the level of your property to give you a level area, rather than having been built to allow council to have excavated down or something like that. So typically when we build a retaining wall, we do it for the purpose either of the high side or the low side. Right, So it's either we put one on the wall on the boundary because we need to excavate down to get our slab down so we can get a house at a certain height, or we put one on the boundary because we want to raise the level to create some level area. And I suspect that that wall has been built on your property for your benefit and so again you're going to be responsible for it.
Speaker 5: Are they liable stabilized reserve because obviously that would make certain more last much longer, will make it much cheaper and less invasive on the scope of work.
Speaker 2: As in a change the contour of the reserve to sort of buttress your property.
Speaker 5: Ah, there's to stabilize the soil because the slip is four when it happened, it's migrated like the met sort of a ul slip. Somebody I was told by someone, because it's not developed land by the council, they're not liable to keep it in any condition or do any remediation because it's not developed lands.
Speaker 4: That correct.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably correct. And I just know that at the moment, for everything that they've got to deal with, you're not going to get much out of them, and you can. You could spend a long time bashing your head against the wall trying to get something out of council and you probably won't. So I just think you won't get just yeah. I think ultimately it comes down to you're going to have to rebuild the wall, and it's going to cost you, and it's probably going to cost you a significant amount unfortunately, could you? But can you claim this on insurance because you know, retaining walls typically part of your insurance policy.
Speaker 5: I I you said, well, obviously they do cost of repairs or lots of land, whichever is lower. Right, Yeah, I've got very lower amount, and that's about fifty short of what the cost of the wall would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I you know, I think in this instance, any contribution you can get, either through insurance or equ see, I'd grab it with both hands and then it's going to take some of the pain out of your wallet.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's what I was hoping, if I can get some some the council and saying it's a little bit of that as well. But if you say being against the.
Speaker 2: Wind, yeah, and if you had advice obviously from either an engineer or or someone involved in geotque or civil.
Speaker 5: Works, uh the sea see geotech. Hey, they did a statesment on it. They came out with a didn't meet a long while, yeah, and oil et cetera.
Speaker 2: M be interesting to sort of get your own opinion. I guess you may have to pay for it. I presume around you're in auckland somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's great, and as happy as I am in the whole street or area, it's only out property was affected.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you leave your number because I might get someone that I know to give you a call. Alright, alright, leave you number, good luck, all right, all the best to take care, all right, all the best. Ye bye by then, and along the same lines a text that's just come in.
Speaker 3: Actually, Pete.
Speaker 2: My question is I have a property which has water coming down from a neighboring property onto my property, and it's a torrent at times like a river. Does the neighbor have to have a drainage system to divert the water away from my property? Is a legal requirement for them to have it? Thank you from Dean. Yeah, And we've discussed this a couple of times on the program. So the issue is, and it's quite fascinating. If it's undisturbed land, If it's natural land, so maybe a reserve or we're talking farming areas, rural areas and so on. There isn't because that's just the natural flow of the land. But as soon as there's an intervention i e. Somebody builds something, the requirement is that all of us are as homeowners. If we're homeowners, we are responsible for all of the stormwater discharge from our property. So, for example, if you don't have downpipes right, or let's say you've got downpipes but they're not connected to a stormwater system and that water floods onto the neighbor when the ground is saturated, then that's something that a neighbour can come to you and ask you to address, and hopefully council would enforce it as well. If, for example, you've done a driveway, and I've seen this with developments recently where a new driveway to access a number of units has been put in, but without the appropriate curbing or a swire not really a swale, but a channel, and then somewhere to collect that water, and the water the driveway is just tilted and pushed to the neighbor, so every time it rains, all of that water that's collected on the driveway sheets into the neighboring property. Those sorts of things. If that's the nature of your question, Dean, yes, you should be able to go back to your neighbor, and then if there's a reluctance from your neighbor to get involved. Certainly, you can go to counsel and ask them to go and assess the property, determine what the remediation is, and then get the neighbor to do exactly that.
Speaker 3: So good luck. It's again not.
Speaker 2: Easy to work through this process, but it's yeah, it's doable, and yes, it is quite clear in legislation that you have to be able to control your own discharge, your own stormwater discharge from your property when there's been let's say, an intervention iea house driveway, et.
Speaker 3: Cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a question of a building nature. We will take your calls right now. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. So a made of mine who's very experienced with retaining walls and so on, text me during that conversation with Ran that we just had a moment ago and said, look, I'm quite happy to go out and have a look.
Speaker 3: And he's got vast experience.
Speaker 2: It could be really interesting to see what his thoughts are on that particular issue.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting one.
Speaker 2: I happened there was a couple of techs come through, you know, because we've sort of straight off the path, let's say, and we're talking about building and the economy in general and what it's like for contractors out there, and to be fair, for a number of people, it's pretty grim. And I think for I guess, and the conversation we had with Steve earlier on is that for people, you know, younger people that have come into the construction sector or come into being their own business owner, this downturn might be the first one that they've experienced. So if you've got a few gray hairs like I do and Steve does with the graves of respect, you know, we've been through this and we kind of know that you just have to hold on if you possibly can, because inevitably it will get better. We have these highs and lows, we have these peaks and troughs in the cycle of the economy and within the building sector undoubtedly, And I mean I still remember the interview we did with John Tukey from the aut He's there leading guy in terms of construction. He's got a real interest, particularly in the sort of the economic side of the construction sector. And at the end of it, I wrapped it up by going, so, is there a way of getting out of this boom and bus cycle? And he just went, no, this is how the economy works. This is how in a sense business works. And then we got onto this conversation around cowboys in the industry and often people undercutting or offering up cheap prices and then trying to get the work. You know, lots of variations, lots of extras, et.
Speaker 3: Cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And so I mentioned the story that I had heard of someone who had, I think, invited twelve different contractors, building contractors to price a let's say it was a small extension alteration job, and then took the lowest price and the work was terrible and the whole project went off the rails right, and you kind of go, well, hang on, in that sense, there, it was only going to have one outcome, wasn't it. If you get twelve people, it might have been seven, whatever it is. But if you get multiple quotes and you grab the lowest one and it's considerably lower and the work is exactly the same, you know that you're going to be for a problem. And then someone has texed through based on your friends. It wasn't a friend, it was just someone I knew or heard of. Actually, that's eleven builders whose time was wasted doing quotes. They have to recoup that money somewhere else. It just gets added to the jobs that they do get. People need to start talking with friends of and engaged tradespeople and employ those with a good reputation for value and quality. Get a maximum of three quotes so that you minimize how much your tradesman's time you've wasted, and be upfront with your expectations. If you want the cheapest builder, tell them that, and the two thirds of trades will outright tell you that they're not the cheapest. I say it up front before I go to site that I'm not the cheapest, and I actually charge to quote and take that amount off the job price. If I get it, I do about one quarter of the quotes that I used to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how fascinating. See.
Speaker 2: To be fair, I've never charged for quotes, but that's I mean, at least you're being upfront right in terms of saying, look, I'm going to charge for the quote if I don't get the job. I wonder how many people at that point go okay, Well then I'm not interested. Take a few more texts on that.
Speaker 3: What else was there?
Speaker 2: I need to This is a random text as well. I need to replace old corrugated roofing polystyrene which has basically gone rotten. I don't think it'll be polystyringe. It might be like the clear light roof so like a polyethylene type of not polyethylene, yeah, the clear lighte roofing. Can I use a skill saw to cut the new stuff to fit it? No, don't use a skill saw. You'll find and I did one just recently, that sort of clear light sun tough type roofing. You just cut it with the same roofing shears that you use to cut regular corrugated iron by hand. I certainly wouldn't touch it with a power tool in this instance, and I love power tools, but no, don't. Just good old set of nips will do it. Your news talk CP, We've got a spear line. The number is eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Today we're talking with Daniel Davies from Davies Homes based in tail Mutu, with a reputation for excellence. Each home is a testament to thoughtful design and superior construction. Incorporating some innovative materials like J and L's Jframe and Triboard, Davies Homes create spaces that stand the test of time. So Daniel from Davies Homes, Hey, let's start off with the framing. Tell us about jframan, why do you choose that?
Speaker 11: The reason why I've used jframe over the last us see six eight years is a lot to deal with a stability, straightness and engaging. It's down the yko here. We're live in quite a damp environment and what happens if the timber isn't consistent and so forth, It moves, which causes problems with screw pops and possible cracks and walls and so forth. So that's why I've chose to use it.
Speaker 2: And in terms of switching, let's say from traditional stick framing to jframe, no issue with counsel.
Speaker 11: Oh no, all that was easy years, that's the answer we like.
Speaker 2: Hey, now let's talk about triboard as well. So lots of uses. What are you using triboard for.
Speaker 11: We're mainly using the TG penalley, which is such a cool product use because we do a little lot of pole sheds with our houses when they builth people right, so it's easy to fit, it doesn't need all the solid timber behind it, and it gives us pretty epic finiship end of it too, at a cost effective price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've still got that impact resistance, say, because we're still talking about fifteen mil of triboard.
Speaker 3: You know it's it's pretty durable.
Speaker 11: Year first, I used it as my own project, and I've used it on heaps houses since in a shed that's perfect, and.
Speaker 3: I've used it on my projects as well. It is great.
Speaker 2: Hey, Now, what's on the horizon for Davies Homes.
Speaker 11: Well, we have only really mainly focused on the Greater wipe A area and mines all areas. But later on this year we'll be opening a show home and what order which is more north we thought it Hilton and then from there next year we'll be open to sha Ho North Hamilton as well, because we've been expanding to South of Auckland and so forth under the same brand and Understaye company.
Speaker 2: Fantastic Hey now and lastly too, and I know people are often a little bit shy about taking recognition, but congratulations on the Master Builders Waycuto Regional Awards in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Just tell us about the house that was entered there.
Speaker 11: You entered two there, so we ended one a client's build in Cambridge. There was a mixture of recycled brick and vertical planting that one head try board on the boat sheet yep. And then we entered the Shahum we built as well, which was quite a cool shod swimming balls and a lot of solid timbers inside the house with an exposed American oak. So yeah, that's two really studying homes, quite pleasant results and.
Speaker 2: I think sounding like they're deserving of the Wakato Regional Awards, So congratulations on that. Hey, folks, if you want to know more about the work that Davies Homes do, check out Davies Homes dot co dot nz. Also, Janel's Facebook page has some examples of the houses built by Daviess Home and some of the examples of using that triboard TGV for interior aligning. So learn more about j frame and tryboard at JNL dot co dot enz and more about the good people at Davies Homes at Davies Homes dot co dot nz your news talks, he'd be let's get into the calls. Actually some great texts coming through as well, and some fantastic opinion around, you know, like this, I suppose the state of the building sector and including a couple of fairly blunt quotes going, hey, Pete, I'm okay to hear that builders are missing out on quotes about time that prices and margins came down. You make here to offer up an opinion, Rick A very good morning to you.
Speaker 16: Morning, Creete. You're the man to help me.
Speaker 8: I'm sure see how we go hand old school.
Speaker 16: I've been trying to find a cast iron, preferably gully trapp or great for to replace one that's missing my property, and I hope I'll just track one down or even like a new one. The plastic ones, I know, good do we? Where do you get those from?
Speaker 2: You're talking about like you can get like a pre cast horseshoe almost and concrete that's about one hundred miles high, it's about three hundred mill across, and then there's a cast iron just the girl that goes, and then there's the girl that goes on top of those. I would head to somewhere like Humes m go to the go to the commercial ones. So go to Humes, go to Mico Plumbing might have them. I probably go to Humors actually.
Speaker 7: Been there, done that.
Speaker 16: They didn't they didn't have the one.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm sure they maybe they don't do that. Yeah, that's a good point, to be fair.
Speaker 16: Mm hmm. Yeah, I've had to get some paid cast ironans have been able to get them. Yeah, we we we uh, well they don't.
Speaker 3: Luckily, stay listening.
Speaker 2: I'm sure someone will text a drain or the civil works guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would have thought if you go to Humes or to you know, the larger Mico's, or to the houses.
Speaker 14: The next game.
Speaker 16: That means used to have them sort of and plays megas used to his. But some of the ones they make, of course, are uselessly early, many more plastic. Yeah, but that's all right, Okay, I'll I'll keep looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have thought Humes, but or any of the large commercial places.
Speaker 3: Hey, good luck with it.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, I'm going to do a little Google search while we're chatting away to people as well.
Speaker 4: Hillary, Hello there, Hello, Hello, I wonder if you can help me.
Speaker 10: I have just completed, or my builder has just completed a build for me, a small build and we've had the final inspection, and I am going in now to the council website to try and obtain CCC.
Speaker 6: Yes, So when I go in through.
Speaker 10: My IR and I get in there and I've got my file in, when I put in my consent number, I cannot get all the information that the builder has on his my IR about all the inspections and everything that have been done. Right that normal? I mean, I can probably ring up the council and find out if I'm actually doing this correctly. But I would have thought once I put in the consent number that everything relating to that consent number would be able to drop in as you go through the website, which it doesn't.
Speaker 2: I know what you're saying, but to be fear, you don't need that information, and that information that's already on the council records with regard to the inspections that have been undertaken is not the information that you need to provide for your CCC application.
Speaker 10: So I've got all the I've got all the certificates and all the things like that, and they're all.
Speaker 2: In PDF form, so they're all you can upload everything. Okay, if do you have the booklet that the building consent came with, so there's the plans and then there's the council and then.
Speaker 3: Everything at the back of that will have what's.
Speaker 2: Required for your CCC, so record of works from the builder, a COC from the electrician, a PS three from the plumber, potentially as built plans, warranty statements for systems, and all the rest of it. So if you read through the back of the booklet, that will give you a guideline.
Speaker 3: As to what you need.
Speaker 10: That's very helpful.
Speaker 2: To be fair, My approach is because back in the day, when you used to have a paper application, it gave you a checklist, right. The online application doesn't. And I have to say I've found that frustrating, right, And I would have thought it was much more helpful of counsel when you went to apply online, which is the only way to apply now, had like a checklist, but they don't, so they just what it says typically is provide all relevant information for the CCC application.
Speaker 3: Then you go, well, what is that?
Speaker 2: What's the relevant information? That's why you go back to the inspection booklet and you have a look in the last couple of pages of that. That's where all the information is. I also typically tend to give them stuff that they might not have asked for, So any record of works, any producer statement, any site inspection notes from engineer, geotech, etc.
Speaker 3: I'd add that to it.
Speaker 2: PS Four from the engineer, if there's specific design, all of the records of works, all of the coa's COCs, everything. Put it all in there, and then what will happen is they'll come back to you with more information.
Speaker 3: Well done, good luck.
Speaker 2: We've got to go for the news, but feel free to call again if.
Speaker 3: You need more fashion.
Speaker 12: In the home stretch.
Speaker 6: Of the hard time.
Speaker 13: It took a heart left, but we're all right, yeah, sure canra so.
Speaker 12: Love Loie b. We do this right his soul than ever gone.
Speaker 8: All that.
Speaker 15: When the bars are good, reston you're the pain a field.
Speaker 13: That's good, Shadow that boy, because you will have a.
Speaker 12: Man's a crack in the foundation.
Speaker 15: Debiano Mani Stone well present the Oh the wound we stayed the hastone.
Speaker 12: Fall in the bars are good.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, oh, welcome back to the program. It's going to be busy in the next half hour. Before we jumped into the garden with it to climb past. Thank you to all of the Texters that have replied to Rex question about trying to find he was looking for a cast iron grate for a concrete gully dish. In cast iron probably not available anymore. There are aluminium ones out there, Hines. Someone suggested that someone has suggested going taking a drawing and getting it cast for you. That's going to be rather expensive. Austin's Foundry and Timaru is now closed down, but they were one of the largest makers of the old cast iron lids. Did have some stock for sale. Chairs Google Austin's Foundry and Timaru. I'm going through timorrow in a couple of months time. I could pick one up on the way and Hines and someone else where was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's Hines on Nielson Street. No one hunger if you want to find one. I thought that'd be out there, and then someone goes, hey, will Davies Homes. We had a chat with the team from Davy's Homes just before the break. Will they be at field Days? I'm not sure if they will be. Second part of the quick text was will you be there?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 2: Actually I'm going to be at field Days on Thursday and Friday of this coming week. Really looking forward to it actually, so you'll find me hanging around with Bailey Water Tanks. They've got a big stand down there, my mates at Apex Boots, and also with the team at Royobi, So I will be drifting around certainly. So send me a message maybe through social media or something, or post where I am on my Facebook page, so resident builder on Facebook, you'll find it there. I'll put up a list of where I am at which time, and I always really enjoy the chats that I have while i'm down there. So down there with Bailey's, with Apex Boots and with Ryobi, really really looking forward to it. And I'm thinking I might be able to swing by Saveboard as well. These are the people that use like TetraPak the liquid paper and recycle it into boards. Because I want to bring some sheets up to put at the Resource Recovery Center in Devenport, just to show people what happens with recycling, because if you can't put that pack that packaging into your curb side recycling, but it is cyclable and Saveboard ended up making it into wall lining which you can use, so be quite good to show people what you can do with recycled material, so I might have to swing by the factory and strap a couple of sheets of safeboard onto the roof of the BT fifty and then head back to Auckland after that. So yep, Thursday, Friday field days, it'll be awesome.
Speaker 3: Bill, greetings you sir.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, hello Pete. Yeah, no little problem. We had a water pipe burst under the house, yes, and that Actually it's not a double story house, but there's split level and the water left the chip board alone, which was the top half, and they seeped into the lounge, which was all carpeted, and I had to rip the carpet because it's stunk, you know. I had to ditch the carpet and I'm just wondering what to do with it now because there's a bare concrete floor on the bottom half and I didn't know what I'm going to do with it.
Speaker 2: The concrete will be fine, you know, water and concrete. Once the concrete's gone off, that won't have an impact. There'll be a certain amount of moisture still in the building, and before you do any repairs, i'd make sure you dry that out.
Speaker 6: So for carpets, a log fire in there yeah, i'd.
Speaker 3: Probably go down.
Speaker 2: And I mean some of this should be covered by your insurance, right, so you're insurance.
Speaker 6: I think, so our money ranking.
Speaker 3: But the land okay, well.
Speaker 2: The landlords, it would be in the landlord's interest to get like a commercial sized dehumidifier and put that in there. So if you've already pulled the carpet up, get in there with a dehumidifier, run that for a week or so before you do any more remedial work, and that'll just help dry the place out and get that moisture level down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I think that half I'd been done quite a while, and my ex wife she had dogs and they're probably pedal on the carpet, which really stunk the thing out, so we had to get rid of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, m hm.
Speaker 6: So I've got left and now as a concrete floor in a couple of mates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, no, no, look, look, I'll I would do that. Make sure you get the dehumidifier in there. Because the carpet dryers, you know the ones that you can buy, they look like a snail. Yeah, they'll blast through and get rid of the moisture out of the carpet. But you've already removed that, but I think it's really important before you get onto remedial work to make sure that the moisture content is down again. Awful thing to happen.
Speaker 3: Good luck with all of that. Rory greetings to you.
Speaker 9: Hello, Oh yeah, I just this time last week you're talking about the commistic groups.
Speaker 16: Yes, excuse me a bit of morse.
Speaker 9: In any way, you said something about a membrane over the whole deachomestic grief. And I'll tell you now and then, there's no better membrane than good paint and plenty of it on it. And i'll tell you what. You don't put it on neat. You put it on water down twenty percent.
Speaker 7: With a room.
Speaker 3: Whoa, okay, yeah right.
Speaker 9: And it's the only read you want to do it on. Low picture is not billas like yours. But it's better than spraying it because when you saturate the chips and everything, they never come off again, and the bird two foes off. There's no bird degree or moss around it. And my roofs fifty years old now, and I had to do it after about twenty years because the grief was put on by amateurs. And I think there were second hand tires that looked yeah.
Speaker 3: No, look, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think having a you know, an extra layer of anything that protects our roofs is probably not a bad thing. And I've had texts from people are going, no, you can't just repaint them.
Speaker 3: And all the rest of it.
Speaker 2: The membrane that I'm talking about, I haven't had any personal experience, but I've just noticed a number of sort of ads and comments around applying like a thick, viscous type coating over your existing roof as a as a flexible membrane. So we might be talking you know, half a millimeter or so of product that's applied, or possibly even a bit thicker than that, which is more than what you would get out of a layer of paint. No matter how thick you apply it, you won't get that sort of build up on it. But look, there's there's some alternatives out there. I'm interested to hear from anyone who's had one of these membranes applied over the top of an existing roof to prolong its life. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call and Mike, good morning to you.
Speaker 8: Oh Hof, you can help me or come it with ideas. So we've just had a small renovation done, basically putting in two new bedrooms, and there's a very very strong chemical smell or odor that's there. So the floors a concret slab bra design, the walls are all jibs, the ceiling is in a tongue and groove plywood look to it, yep. And then in one bedroom we've also got that sort of bed behind the bed, you know, down not half the wall, but running horizontally like.
Speaker 3: A lining for a.
Speaker 8: Nice So when I when I was painting it, I thought, you know, things aren't sealed, et cetera. But now we've got to carpet down, a bit of lino down, you know, everything's all painted and to sure at the moment it kind of there's a fifty thirsty mixture of brand new carpet smell and this really strong chemical yeah odor that's there.
Speaker 2: Any ideas, I know that there's a lot of discussion, you know, when we're talking about healthy homes and so on, around the materials that we use in the construction of our houses. And for example, if you look on a bucket of raisine paint right, it will say it's a low voc paint, so volatile organic compounds. And if you think back to paints and products that we used to use years ago, you know, they smell like you just open a bottle of whiskey.
Speaker 3: Right, There was so much, so many.
Speaker 2: So we're typically we're using a lot less chemicals and a lot less harmful chemicals in either the manufacture of the products that we use into a house or actually on site when we're applying them. So even things like tubes of silicon or adhesive right tend to have less of these VOCs in them than they had in the past. So in that sense, I'm a little surprised, and I'm thinking back to, you know, all of the building work that I've done, let's say in the last ten years, that at the end of it, as a new build, it hasn't been that noticeable. Right now, there is evidence that says that, you know, there's a lot of moisture in how we build, and so that takes a period of time to evaporate. And undoubtedly there are chemicals in the products that we use and there will be a residue which will diminish over time. So with yours, do you think that the smell or the odor is as obvious today as when the work finished.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, it's kind of interesting that one. So it was fully started nearly well that was time ago, about a year ago, right, oh wow? And yeah, I know, And fortunately I needed to have a hip operation last year, so I had the big push to sort of get most of the painting done by August last year, and I've finished it off now. So and it's one of those things that once you've had the area open, it's the small batch, so it's quite often locked up right when you first go and you go, wow, what's that smell? And then you know, leave all the doors and windows open for a quarter of an hour, either you stop smelling it or it basically years out. But every time we go back in, it's there, locked up for a few days, it's there year.
Speaker 2: I guess that might be the the one factor that changes, you know, what we're talking about, in the sense that like, typically if it's a house and it's occupied every day, the windows get opened every day, so it's not surprising that the smell has lasted for a lot longer. The other thing would be is to actually get it tested. So I know that there's some people involved in building science who will do testing of interior environments, right, So you can measure for carbon monoxide, you can measure for humidity and moisture content, and potentially you can measure for VOCs inside the building as well, and if it had a particularly elevated reading, it would give you an indication of what types of chemicals they might be, and then you could sort of think back through the building process to go, Okay, well, it might be that we used I don't know a particular type of flooring material, or I mean I presume that with all of your paint that you did, it mostly would have been acrylics or water borne paints.
Speaker 8: Even for the clear fear, it was always in paint, wondering about the the the ply, the tingu and grew plight because I thought, you know jibs, well, you know got jibyware. You know, if they'd have been smelling, other people have noticed it. I've done undercoats, under top coats.
Speaker 2: How many thousands of sheets of plasterboard I've seen put up in the last ten years, you know, And I look, you just don't get it right. Someone sticks through. Have you glued down carpet? No, what's your flooring.
Speaker 8: The the flooring is a concrete slat okay, and.
Speaker 2: Then left exposed. Sorry, And and the concrete is left exposed.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's got a cabin on top of it, okay.
Speaker 2: And then the carpet is just it's not glued down, it's with an underlay.
Speaker 14: And so on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they've got the standard you know that mailgemooth.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Interesting and I would I would have a search around and see if you can get And they're out there right. They're they're sort of building scientists who are involved in, you know, investigating chemical compounds and indoor environment and you're talking about indoor air quality and actually have it tested. Someone else has suggested if you might have used a nylon carpet. Sometimes it has a very strong smell when it's new.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but yeah, you can definitely tell the carpet smell. So yeah, they're worried about that. They'll go, await, it's the that other chemical and it's hard to describe. Yes, you know, when we first started going into the Tracy, my wife said, the paint. No, no, it's not the paint. I've been breathing that in all day. It's definitely not the paint smell. It's very strong chemical odor. Yeah, and it's Yeah, we were thinking that maybe it was coming from the concrete land. You know, once we had the carpet down and there was a small bit of lino, it'd all be gone. But now you can you know, it's minimized it just because of the new smell of the carpet. But you can still smell the other you know.
Speaker 2: It's not an odor coming from your drainage.
Speaker 8: Ask the plumber about that, but he said that would smell more organic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Is the only new bit of plumbing in that area is Yeah, there's a like a washing machine in a small cupboard. Yeah, and that so it does have them, you know, the gully trap whatever for.
Speaker 2: That, and it should have a terminal vent and those sorts of things. Look, I think I would go and find someone to come in and do testing of indoor air quality, take a scientific even if you want to contact brands, give brands a call and say, look, I'm looking for someone who does this type of work, and they'll they'll know researchers who do this all the time.
Speaker 8: You wouldn't think it'd be coming from the plywood at all.
Speaker 2: I mean we did to imagine about ply Yeah, I mean, look, there's there's a lot of glue in plywood obviously, right and depending on which type of plywood, some of them use more eco friendly glues than others do.
Speaker 3: But again.
Speaker 2: I see, like I know, for example, treated play because we use it sometimes as sefite linings. Right now, that has a very very strong chemical smell for quite a long time. So potentially if the plywood, is it like a V groove, a tongue and groove type plywood that you've used.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it looks like it. Yeah, it looks like a bit of tongue and very flooring.
Speaker 2: See a lot of a lot of that is designed for exterior use, in which case, yes, that will have a very heavy chemical treatment to it for its for it to get H three qualification.
Speaker 3: And I've used it.
Speaker 2: Actually you might be onto something now that I've used it for bathroom lining for example, where I've wanted to do like wainscotting tongue and groove around the perimeter of the bathroom. And I can remember getting it and cutting it and it being a very strong smell, but it did diminish over time, and you know, again within.
Speaker 3: A week or so.
Speaker 2: I would have expected there to be very very little presence of any sort of residue or odor. So that's a little bit surprising that it's lasted as long as it has. But again, if you would have the indoor air quality tested, it would they would soon be able to determine whether or not it's coming from the adhesive that bonds that fly would together.
Speaker 8: The builders that did builder has been in there sort of coming back to work out his justice confused and he said, no, it was indoor ply.
Speaker 2: You know, it wasn't It wasn't treated, so it didn't Yeah, okay, well yeah, but I must admit there when I was putting up there several bits that actually had.
Speaker 8: You know, very bright orange I think it was orange or yellow fluoro paint painted on the side of the to the ply, which I had to send quite a bit before I painted. Would I remember thinking when I was prepping, I thought, if it was you know, really, if it was made for indoor, would it have the fluoro paint sprayed off?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I tell you what would be really interesting is to ask the builder to send through a copy of the either the delivery slip or the invoice from the supplier for that product, because again you know he may have ordered TGNV untreated and then when the order got to the yard, they went, oh, we don't have any of that, so we'll send out some treated stuff. So yeah, I'd get the invoice for that material. All right, got a nice talking with you all, the very best. Take care by then. Fascinating, fascinating. A couple of quick texts before you go the break. How can I find out what the infull housing policy is in my neighborhood. I'm on the north Shore, so am I. As it happens in Auckland, if a proposed new build means a lack of light sunshine on existing house, is that a liar could turn a healthy home into an unhealthy one. I hear what you're saying, Joe, And we had Hamish Firth a planner in the studio exactly seven days ago. So it's here at this time. The best thing to do is to go to your local council website and to see what the planning regulations permit. That'll give you an idea. Many many areas are zoned for intensification and redevelopment, and yes there will be many areas where you can build possibly out three stories higher meter from the boundary, and that will undoubtedly cause shading. And this is permitted as our cities grow. So first instance, I'd go to the council website, take your time, have a look through. You'll find lots and lots of information there. Now, last one before we go into the garden. Morning, sir, that's very nice.
Speaker 3: It's very nice.
Speaker 2: Our elementum joinery is oxidize. What's the best product in your opinion to bring the joinery back regards from Sean. Look, I think if you want to do a really good job, I'd probably get experts in. So have a look at someone like Nanoclear, for example, who would come through, do the proper treatment, do the recoloring, apply a treatment over the top of it to protect it, and get a really good job done. So yeah, I'd check out Nana clear right. Oh, let's jump into the garden where it is all a sweetness and light rod climb passed after the break.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to News talks'd B on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.