Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio, The Big League podcastle podcast it blay News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: This week on The Big League Podcast, Michael Vergis and I will debrief everything you need to know about the Warrior's remarkable turnaround against Manly and whether it'll remain consistent with the resurgent Roosters looming, Plus Stacey Jones and a bid for Caleb Ponger to play for the Kiwis. My name is Nathan Limb. Let's go Big League podcast, right, Everyone get a spoon. Luke Metcalf and Chanelle Harris Tavita have served us up a nice healthy portion of humble pie, and my word, does it taste good. No one saw that coming, no one. There was zero indication that a turnaround that massive was en route, and yet it was seen across the competition. The Roosters beat the Panthers as eleven dollars outsiders. The Raiders punished the Broncos, who looked untouchable last week. Nothing in this competition is certain except for the Titans being bang average. Michael Burgess, Senior in New Zealand Herald writer, Are the Warriors back? Are all our fears are late?
Speaker 3: Certainly our fears of where the season was going after Vegas? Or are late? Aren't they? Everyone's feeling a lot better that hey, the positive feelings about the preseason. Everything we're hearing about how well the preseason had gone behind the scenes. You at least started to see a bit of that on Friday night, whereas after Vegas it was like, what the hell's happened? Where is this campaign going? So yeah, very heartening, but a long way Togo. We're going to talk more about the match in detail, but I would say that it's not it was unexpected the result. The performance was excellent, but there were a few things. I think Manly were a bit unlucky with a couple.
Speaker 2: Of They were a bit lucky with a couple of.
Speaker 3: Let me finished, they've been unlucky with a couple of chances early on. They could have scored three tries in the first ten to fifteen minutes and then it's possibly a different game. The ref I'm being Devil's advocate here. The referee was also pretty tough on them with the set restarts. I think eleven to two so there were a few things that helped the Warriors. And the other thing that people have forgotten about that actually helped the Warriors that we never really thought of was that they had basically two weeks off, so they had a long lead into this game, mainly had quite a short turnerund after playing the Cowboys had to travel here. All those things added up and actually helped help the Warriors. But yes, excellent performance, great desire, great intent, and now they've got a real platform to build on, haven't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I suppose the talk leading into this game was what was the explanation for the Las Vegas showing and the way their attack looked so directionless, And the explanation was that they went away from that game plan. I think Luke metcar From said himself was talking about, you know, they sort of went away from what they talked about. Perhaps you know, the occasion of Las Vegas really did get to them. And then back at Mount Smart suddenly the short passes come out. We've got a little bit more variation. We're kicking the twenty the Warriors, which is something that just wasn't really there in round one. So to see that turnaround, I suppose there was obviously a mental shift and the amount of talk there was in the week from the likes of US and the media and the fans that pressure. I suppose the fact that they could cope with that and turn up against a team that put on what fifty points in round one, that shows, I guess the mental resilience. And we were talking about the young harves combination or fairly and experienced half combination of Luke Metcalfin, Shanell Harris Tavita. They could stand up under that pressure.
Speaker 3: There was some pressure. You're right, there was some pressure, and there was quite a good feeling from both ten minutes onwards that no matter what happened, the Warriors weren't going to let this result slip. In other words, they were determined to get a win on Friday night, no matter what, no matter how the game had twists and turns, et cetera, et cetera. There was a real intense desire there because they had a lot to prove. Yes, the attack started to click, but it was all built on the defense. The defense was much better, mainly apart from the say, the first ten to twelve minutes and they're winning the ruck. You know, they're winning the collisions. Their forwards really really got going. Mainly's got the bigger pack, but the Warriors outmuscled them in the forwards, outplayed them generally across the park, and so good signs. Good signs.
Speaker 2: We're going to debrief all the action later discuss the odds of Kayla and Pong are playing for the keywiste. But first, here are the highlights. Warriors thirty six, Seagles sixteen.
Speaker 4: As he hens the whistle, and we're underway here at mounts My twenty twenty five. Good hands sub with the gas knuckers here in its travinments. This is mainly at their best.
Speaker 2: And it's got line of this has been topped.
Speaker 3: Not so far.
Speaker 4: The res caveda is there. It can be dangerous to pretty more than dangerous. Nickle scer a m and there's a tower. Looks look nice hands from Suber and Chase some sad scores.
Speaker 2: In the corner.
Speaker 4: Reg Yes, that is it, way logan, look the heir.
Speaker 2: And now the tribe turn us a sick.
Speaker 4: Turns a sick tricky he's hat tower her.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Chavin audio cur to see of Fox Sports could be held. Let's go through this game in a little bit more detail. And obviously, as we mentioned before, the big topic in the leading with the Harps Luke Metcalf looking far more composed short passes, holding the space a lot better. Janelle Harris to looking composed as well on the left. I really liked his kicking game. Kicking it in the twenty wasn't we were seeing so much in Las Vegas? They were running the ball. But what was behind this turnaround? What was what did they do differently?
Speaker 3: Well? The question coming into this match was all about how much had their performance in Las Vegas been about just the complete lack of any platform that they had to play off because the forwards were beaten up so badly in Vegas, and how much of it was to do with them being uncertain and unsure and making bad decisions. Andrew Webster told us a few times, Nathan, that that it was all about the It was a bit unfair. It was all about the fact the team just didn't turn up, so that referts back to the halves. It was probably a bit of both. You know, Metcalf and Chanelle didn't go so well against Raiders, so they made they made better decisions. They got some confidence. I mean, I think Luke Metcalf is a good example. He's a real confidence player and you could you could even see that on Friday night. You know, he didn't actually start that well. There were a couple of you know, the first couple of sets they got, they got a couple of repeat sets after manly and didn't really work. It was a bit lateral. But once they got going, he played a key role in that first try to Chanel. You could see his confidence left and he got better as the game, as the game progressed, and that's normal, Like we forget this is it was a second ever start at number seven in the NRL, you know, even though he's twenty six and all that sort of thing. So you know, he's still learning and he even though backs himself, he's got to really believe he can do it, and we started to see that.
Speaker 2: Coach Andrew Repster talking afterwards, Wrapped. They stuck to their game plan this week. They stuck to their guns. We're not where we.
Speaker 3: Want to be.
Speaker 2: It didn't play, but we're wrapped that we stuck together this week.
Speaker 3: We look way more like ourselves, way more. No one's going to be perfect in early rounds but that's what you're going to do. You're going to defend well and chase well.
Speaker 2: If you look across the team stats, they had the edge and runs, run meeters, post contact meters, thirty nine tackle breaks. It is something that really stands out. And another player in particular that stood out was Aaron Clark one hundred and forty nine meet is from eighteen runs, twenty two tackles. Obviously playing lock forward, he's a different kind of player to Tahu Harris. What does he bring that I suppose provides a point of difference.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a guy I think we're going to talk about a lot this season, and I feel like he's a great signing and one of the most under the radar signings. They didn't sign too many players in the off season, did they, but really really good pickup Aaron Clark. He's not that big, you know, he's not too much bigger than you, which is compliment, Yeah, but he's just this sort of ball of muscle and he's got the special ability to he's quicker than you think. So he gets to the defensive line before their set, which allows him to get post contact meters meant much more post content meters than a guy his size should be able to get. So he regularly hits the line earlier, the defense doesn't see it, and he gets the post content meters. The other thing I like about him is he's quite a ballplayer, so because his background. Of course, he was a half growing up, and then he was a hooker. So that's a really good thing I feel, because he's like Tahu and Mitch Barnette, to a lesser extent, Dylan Walker. He's another four that's really happy with the ball in his hands, and I think we're going to see that more and more as the season progressed. But yeah, he was excellent, and it just adds to the mysteries to why he didn't start in Vegas. But that's another matter. He was excellent, really laid the platform, really helped to lay the platform. Although all the fourds were great, weren't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They were, But there were also obviously some backs that stood out. A couple other than the haves that I wanted to talk about. Roger to Varsa, Sheck is probably the player that I thought played the best in Vegas. I thought he had a really good game, actually, Roger, and he showed up again this week, but again producing another dynamic performance. Charles Loik a crook start as well. I felt he went missing a little bit in Vegas, and he showed up this week with one hundred and seventy one run meters, which is the most in the game. Injecting himself, I think a little bit more than we saw in week one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I thought Chance was. I still don't think he looks like he did in twenty twenty three. You know, he was, he was better in the second half on Friday. I think he's still building it to his game. But with Roger, what did you think of his defensive reads?
Speaker 2: Defensive well, mainly found space down the edges, didn't they? Yeah, yeah, what's the issue?
Speaker 3: So that's I only asked you that, mate, because it's like that that'll be his work on and it's a blameless situation. It's so hard as a winger to defend. He was trying to he was trying to compress and to stop the threat of Daboyevich and he misread it twice which led to two Manly's tries. Really, and the good thing about Roger though, is he owned that. So after the game he said, you know, I got skinned a couple of times. Not good enough. Got to work on that. But that's his work on and that's something that all wingers and he's like a new winger. But you're exactly right. Apart from that, his work rate, his desire, just the way every time he gets the ball, it kind of feels like he's foundness position, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of people would argue with that and say, given the amount of work he does with the ball in hand and how much he stands out with the ball, get his hands on the ball as much as possible, where are you going to do that at full bail?
Speaker 3: Or that's a whole other podcast. That's a separate we should do a separate special edition. But yeah, but he certainly much looks more comfortable and more threatening it on the wing that it's sent it, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I suppose you talked about that defense. Webster was impressed with their defense overall during the game, crediting that and their keck pressure for what they were then able to produce on attack. If you're defending more and you're putting pressure on our position, points come and if you don't defend well, you don't get through the score points.
Speaker 3: You're not willing to play the long game and keep well and chase well.
Speaker 2: You don't put any pressure in our position, and tonight we did that. Now, in terms of manly side of things, I am convinced that the NRL have employed Stevie Wonder to work in the bunker, because you'd have to be blind to not see that Jason sab loses the ball forward as he places it over the line. Am I right? Or am I correct? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's one of those, you know. Three of the three or four, there's five replays. Four of them showed a completely lost control. There was one that showed a fingertip still on the ball, and that is enough these days, and we love that when it goes for the Warriors next week and there's a finger tip and they say try. So it was. It was pretty annoying. But when they slot right down and looking for something, yeah it was. It was dicey, wasn't it? It was dicey, as was the second. Their third try was also dicey. But I didn't wind that much so much because that was just a wonderful effort. So I'd rather see that sort of try awarded for the benefit of doubt than than scrubbed off when they think that, oh maybe the edge of his big toe did did bisect the dead ball line?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean you talked earlier about Manly maybe get a hard rap from the referees in terms of the number of six segenstor because it seemed to me, I mean just based off the number of six again calls seven in the first half alone, they seem to live off side and that culminated with Jake ja Boyvitch getting sinband later in the second half. How much do we have to factor in that? I suppose in terms of the Warriors go forward, oh a lot.
Speaker 3: Like the set restarts killed Manley. There were just so many like mainly may have been off side. But you know, I really really do not like the six skin rule. I don't like the way it's applied. And if you if we're trying to be neutral, how can how can the Warriors get eleven it restarts so it was and mainly get two. I just well, the Warriors really that perfect because next week, you know what the Roosters like, We're going to be saying the same thing when the Roosters get a million set restarts, so it definitely helped the Warriors, which which was nice. Then they needed that help. But you know, we also should mention James with Harrison Mitch Bunnett. It's easy to forget the sort of the two Titans in the middle but far out. Mitch Bennett goes what was it fifty four minutes in his first stint and was evolved in just about everything. James, mister Harris, I think he wrecked up forty tackles, you know for a prop in the middle was it was pretty good going, So I think those guys show showed what they can do as well.
Speaker 2: Up next, we'll preview the roosters and discuss Calen Pong has potential Kiwiz question.
Speaker 5: Mark The Big League Podcast podcast The Big League Podcast on the Warriors bad wagon since day one.
Speaker 2: Now, in what was probably the other massive upset of the round, Roosters thirty eight Panthers thirty two roosters. They were eleven dollars outsiders coming off of fifty to fourteen drubbing by the Broncos. No one gave them a chance. Sounds pretty familiar. James Tedesco named it their greatest win after the fact, I mean I was stunned when I saw the scoreline to this game, because again I wrote them off the amount of talent that Dave lost this year. But Jared Warrio, Hargreave, Luke Keary, Joey marn who all shifted overseas half back Sam Walker is out for the year with an ACL injury. Tedesco was on fire, he.
Speaker 3: Was, And they've got a special a special culture, the Roosters. They had it for years. I mean they've been in three Grand Finals in the last since twenty thirteen. That you know, they were a big club. They were always going to bounce back. Not many were tipping that. I do feel though that eleven dollars price was a bit over the top. Someone at the Australian TIRB got a bit carried away, I think because the Roosters were still at home Penrith was still coming off a tough match in Vegas in the travel and the Roosters have still got some couple of really good players in their pack and some good players in their back line. So the odds were a bit over the top, but fantastic given by the Roosters and it sets up Friday really well.
Speaker 2: And obviously they've got numerous threats in their back line. Dominic Young on the wing, Mark na wang Anita Wase, former Wallaby and Waratah union player. He's playing at center. Australian commentators routinely calling him Marky Mark, presumably to avoid saying his last night.
Speaker 3: I love the way you did say his last name. It's very shows your professionalism and it shows the way they avoid it. The Aussies are pretty good at there anything tricky, they're just let's throw a nickname in there.
Speaker 2: I suppose we've had from both of these sides of the Warriors and the Roosters, two completely different performances across round one and round two. So it is very difficult to judge where these sides are ound at this point in the competition and what could potentially play out when they come up against each other. So in terms of the Warriors, what are the next steps?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: Look at the controllables? What do the Warriors need to perfect? For me? It's their edge defense because that was exposed immediately at Mammy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, not not too much to there's defense. They still look a bit uncertain and that's normal because look at their back line. Who is who on Friday night was in the same position they're in at this time last year. Adam Pompey wasn't playing this time last year, Tain's on the wing, Roger was at center, was new, and we've got another another new winger. So that's that's the thing. That's the thing they've got to sort out. And that's kind of normal the communication. You can do it all in pre season, but comes to a game and a split second decision do I come and do I take my man? The communication, but with Adam and Roger probably wasn't there at times and even on the other edd. So yeah, that that's a work on, And they've also got things to work on on attack. Like as much as the scoreline looks great if we if you look closely, which they will if you look closely at the amount of ball they had, the mount of good ball they had and all those set restarts, there was consecutive penalties at different times and it really felt sometimes didn't make the most of those opportunities. So that that's going to be that's definitely a work on as well, isn't it.
Speaker 5: The Big League Podcast.
Speaker 2: Podcast, right Burch an interesting story emerged over the weekend, and that was a topic that has come up before. Stacy Jones has expressed interest in acquiring Calen Palmer, who was obviously committed to Australian rugby, so that he can play for Queensland, he can play for State of Origin. It's not something that was that's unusual. He spent five years of his life in New Zealand, born in Australia. His father is Marty. He played for the Marty All Stars. Of course, is this something that could happen because malm and Inger's come out swinging, say nah, he's Australian. Get out of it, Stacy, what do you make of all of this?
Speaker 3: It's funny, isn't it? Because it's not a new story. This top has been bubbling all for a while. Michael maguire talked about Ponger. They've been approached to Ponger for years. I remember Ponger coming to spend years ago, in maybe two thousand and fifteen or sixteen. The Key was having a training at Mount Smart before they went off on tour of England and Ponger was there and they wanted to get him into the camp and you know, feel what it was like in Kearney. But that stage was saying I'd be great to have this guy, and then of course he opted for Queensland. So this is not new, but it's great that's been talked about again because something has to happen. You know that these these origin rules, the way they've progressed don't really make sense because it works for every country except New Zealand. So there's all these kids growing up in New Zealand and Australia that have tong And or some own heritage that can say, Okay, I'm going to play for Summer and Tonga and that means I can still play Origin. But a key We guy has to make the choice New Zealand are born and born in Australia, has to make the choice between g do I take the forty to fifty grand to play for Queensland in New South Wales or do I play for the Keywis. It just doesn't it just doesn't feel right, And that's what Ponger has to consider, doesn't it If he is considering it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the tea. It's the way the tear system works right in terms of origin. So the rules are that if you are playing for if you want to play origin, you have to declare for Australia as a Tear one nation or a Tear two nation. So some more in tong are Tear two nations. But it's not based on how good they are their performance. It's based on the way the rugby league system is set up in that country. So then someone and Tonga obviously they don't have the same systems and structures in terms of development that Australia and New Zealand have. But it seems like it's sort of unfairly because somewhere in tong are both very strong international sides. This is all sort of set up unfairly to disadvantage New Zealand in a way, because New Zealanders are the ones who are the only ones out of you know, this Pacific region who have to make that choice. As you said, so do we need to just do away with this tear system?
Speaker 3: That could be one that's certainly an argument out there, isn't it. I Mean, I always thought it would be crazy to see New Zealanders playing state of Origin. Iways thought that's just mad. It would be so weird because there was talk about that years ago. People would say, why can't Benji Marshall play state of Origin. Why can't Sunny Bill. I mean, they're probably bad examples because they weren't eligible, But I'm talking about guys that are actually eligible, that maybe went to Australia when they were young or were born in Australia, but they're Kiwis and I was thought, oh, that's just too weird. You know, state of origin is a but the NRL have sort of turned State of Origin into an all stars game, you know, that's what it's starting to feel like, where players are picked from all over the place. So I don't know, do you open it up to everyone? Do you say that Kiwis can play state of Origin eligibles and they've got some link to Queensland And because at the moment this is just say New Zealand is the one that's suffering the most and it's only going to continue as Toma and Somo get stronger. I don't think Australia particularly cares, but that all Australia cares about, justicially is Australia. But there has to be some kind of solution because it would be fantastic if Ponger really wants to play for the Kiwis. How good would it be how good would be for the sport if he plays for the Kiwis. But somehow it can still play for Queensland if they want him. They might not want him. They might say, look, if you're going to play for the Kiwis, we don't want you. We've got Reece, Welsh, We've got this, We've got that.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is going to happen. I don't think Calen Pong is going to end up playing for the Kiwis. I think this is just noise. That's my take.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a bit surprised that Stacy Jones has played his card so early because the Test matches out to November, you know, so there's a lot of time for all this maneuvering to happen. So I'm not sure why he wants to put it out there now. But he was asked and he was honest. You would be keen. Yeah, it's hard to see. It's hard to see him playing for the Kiwis, but if he really wants to. But the thing, that's the thing, He's already played for Queensland, so in theory that makes him ineligible. If he's played for Queensland as a Australian he obviously can't play for the Keys.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if Canon Pong was that fast with playing for Australia because he made himself unavailable, remember, because he wanted to focus on his preparation for playing for Newcastle into this year. He made himself unavailable for the Pacific Championships, then backflipped on that decision. I think though that it would involve administrators in Australia collectively going yep, let's change the rules and then effectively they lose a really good player. So I just I just do not see it happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the rules have also got to be changed at the at the top level with the International Rugby League. It's a it's an ongoing discussion. I know Greg Peters at the NEWSBIA League he wants something done because he doesn't feel it's quite right at the moment.
Speaker 1: LV The Big League Podcast for the Biggest League for.
Speaker 3: BIRS.
Speaker 2: Quick fire predictions for Round three of NRL Action. We're kicking off with a doozy and who knows, who knows what will happen Storm Panthers in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: First of all, though I've already got quite a healthy lead after only two weeks. Are you feeling the pressure?
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding, count what are you talking about? Healthy lead?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I got six seven out of eight in the first week when you were in here with Nick and yeah, anyway, storm storm for me. But as you say, toss a coin. Panthers are want to bounce back. This is always a fantastic matcher. I just think the storm at home will make the difference.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think Ivan Claire is going to put a rocket up the Panthers bums after that performance against the Roosters and Nathan Claire even afterwards saying it's not good enough. We were awful basically, and I can't see the Panthers dropping too in a row. Storm will be tough though. It'll be a tight game and it could go either way. Warriors Roosters.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty, isn't it. Both teams played so well, as we said, both teams with a remarkable turnaround, and both teams on a Friday night, so they've got the equal amount of preparation set up perfectly. What to make the difference? Hard to say. The Roosters have been dominated the Warriors for a long time. Over the years. Will Friday not be different, Let's hope. So I'll go with the Warriors and a close.
Speaker 2: One Broncos versus the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Broncos the bounce back. They weren't as good against the Raiders, but the Raiders were excellent. The Cowboys are in a bit of a hole and I think Todd Payton's already under pressure, like they'll be better for the Queensland Derby, but yeah, it's a tough place where North Queensland are at the moment.
Speaker 2: Definitely the o from two to start the year. Sharks Bunnies in Cronella.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quite a hard one to tip this one, but you've got to like what Kranella are doing. They were really good against Pendeth and Las Vegas. That was a close game. They've continued that on with the Round two win. Rabbit is excellent the way they got home against the Dragons, but they've lost so many players to injuries and that it's got to take its toll sooner or later.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with the Sharks. The Bunnies were two very tight wins, but as you say, they've lost quality Dolphins. Tigers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, the Tigers. I am so happy for Benji in the way they won, and you know his little revolution with all the young players he's playing, and it was just to beat a team like the Eels the big weston Derby. Fantastic for them. I do think the Dolphins do something though they're back at home, so I'll go with the Dolphins here, even though the Tigers have got all the momentum.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with the Tigers for that reason, the momentum, and we love an underdog story. Jerome Leui going to the Tigers. Can he turn it around? In the club Titans versus the Knights. As we mentioned at the top, the Titans have got some issues. They've got a really good forward pack, they've got pace out wide, but they just don't seem to have it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't seem to jel for them with the spine. I'm not sure what the issue is, but they've obviously got issues. So the Knights. Look, I'll be looking about back, but you'd say the Knights will be will be too good here.
Speaker 2: Eels Bulldogs.
Speaker 3: Oh this is for me. I remember so many times last season tipping the Eels and saying, surely they'll come right. I'm going to do it again. I'm going to say, surely the Eels have come right at home against an arch rival, even though the Bulldogs are looking great. I'm giving you I'm throwing you one here, I'll go Els.
Speaker 2: You're throwing me a bone bird. But you've got such a lead, they don't you want to consolidate it.
Speaker 3: No, I'm pretty confident.
Speaker 2: I'll go with the Bulldogs. Put forty points on the Tiger Titans over the weekend. And finally the Seagles versus the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Hmmmm, it kind of depends.
Speaker 2: This one's well, the raidst the Raiders beat the Broncos. That's untouchable.
Speaker 3: They did. No, no, no, I'm going to go with the Seagulls at Brookvale, but it depends. I'll put a cavit on that depending on the injury situation with some of their players, So I reserve the right to change my tip. Can't works later in the week.
Speaker 2: This is final sequels gay for the Raiders three from three. Thank you Michael Burgess for your time, your wisdom, your insight. Will see you next week on the Bigger League Podcast. Please follow and rate the podcast. We'll be back next Monday. My name is Nathan Limb. Have a great week.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk sed B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio