Speaker 1: Hilda. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Homelessness is one of the most visible signs of poverty in this country. Walk through the CBD of any of our major cities and you're likely to come across someone living rough. But often what we may see on our streets is just the tip of the iceberg for a much larger issue. This week, Home Ground in Auckland, one of the initiatives trying to tackle this crisis, turns three years old. But that's just one location in one city trying to get on top of a national problem. Later we'll speak to ends at Herald senior writer Simon Wilson about Home Ground and how it's working. But first on the Front Page, we'll talk with University of Otago research professor and co leader of hey Kyanga Uranga Housing and Health Research Program, Nevill Pious, about how we could solve this crisis. First off, Neville, how bad is the homelessness issue in New Zealand. It's pretty hard to kind of get concrete numbers, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I did agree. I'd say we pretty clearly have a homelessness crisis. Chelsea, New Zealand has about forty eight thousand people on the night of our last census who were homeless on that particular night, and another seventy thousand who are living in inhabitable housing. We already know that New Zealand is one of the very few countries that has equality of homelessness in terms of we have as many females as we have males. We have more children homeless than most other comparable countries, and we have a hugely disproportionate number of Maori homeless. We have homelessness up and down the country, but it's particularly acute in our main metro areas, so I'd describe it as it's not unknown, it's a crisis. I can see people, unfortunately on my way to work, living on the street, and there are lots of people in emergency housing, lots of people who need to be in emergency housing, but all of those people need to be in permanent shelter. So we have a homelessness crisis in your deal.
Speaker 1: So how does it all work? Because there are different categories of help. I suppose if you find yourself without a roof over your head, isn't there.
Speaker 2: We try to put people in lots of boxes, but I think we need to take a step back here and kind of say hey, and internationally, the best practice is with people if you're homeless, and you can be homeless by sleeping rough on the street, by being living in a car, by being in unstable accommodation, which is kind of that cout surfing in a friend's house, in the shelters, what would be internationally the shelter system, our emergency housing system, our transitional housing system, all of those. You have no control over where you're going to be living long term. You have no ability to kind of set down permanent routes. In academia, we call it a sense of onological security, but it's that sense of this my home, this is where I am. If you don't have that, you're homeless, and unfortunately far too many people have that in New Zealand. The answer to homelessness, I suggest, is housing people and giving them that sense of security. So having some ability to have some choice in where you stay and what your home is, so as you can put down routes there, you feel stable there and you can go on with building the other things in your life that you need to build on. If you're worried about the roof over your head and where you're going to be tonight, next week, or in a few weeks time, or even a few months time, then if that's the major stressor, then you're homeless. That's the New Zealand definition of homelessness. It's a pretty internationally accepted definition of homelessness. I think we know how many people are homeless then, so we break it down. Our responses are broken down into categories, and that's how the categories come about. In New Zealand, we have a scheme for emergency housing, which is where we put people up for a few weeks. In some places we still have night shelters where we put people up for a night. We have transitional housing, which is really just housing people for a few months, and then we have permanent social housing, which is mostly Kayango Aura but also with a community housing provider system. We have the Accommodation Supplement, which subsidizes people's rental housing and tries to make people afford the rental. Unfortunately, a lot of those don't work. The system doesn't work in the system has quite a few gaps in it, but we do know that the answer, and a lot of my research has focused on, Hey, when we move people into the permanent end of that. Where we move people so is that they're permanently housed in either Kyang or Aura with community housing providers or in the private rental sector, then you start to start to see dramatic improvements. So from people who've been sleeping rough with mental health and other problems. You see that you see over twelve months. If you can get people well housed, permanently housed and supported, you start to see this dramatic improvement in mental health, with their need for mental health services going down about sixty to eighty percent. You start to see how people improve in their lives. Their income starts to go up. Firstly, we get them on the right benefit and they're getting all the benefits they're entitled to, so their income goes up. Then their interactions with their police offending goes down, their interactions with the criminal system goes down, and finally, after five years later, we start to see dramatic improvements in health as they are stably housed and get to deal with all their issues. But it is that the answer to everybody is long term sustainable housing. Unfortunately, many of the categories we try to put people in are coming from our responses that are for short term, limited stays that don't really solve the problem.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a simple answers that housing people will end homelessness.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is the answer.
Speaker 1: It's an easy answer, but is it an easy road to get there.
Speaker 2: So it's a difficult road to get enough houses. So Finland has done it. Finland has decided that they will have no more pins who are homeless. So they have built up their social housing sector and housing support. And if you are in housing crisis in Finland, there's one number you call. Somebody will come to wherever you are and give you an assessment and try to work out what the housing need is. And if that need is permanent housing, that's there. If that need is to sustain your tendency so as it doesn't break, then they'll solve that. If the need is the underlying need is a mental health crisis, they'll put you in touch with mental health and get that. But we do have we have a very broken housing market and we have a support system with a lot of gaps in it and a lot of holes. We're not so in Finland they've gotten up to twenty five percent social housing in New Zealand where sing along at four point two percent social housing. So we just we we're not building enough social houses. We've gone from playing or recently under the previous government was building about fifteen hundred a year, which probably wasn't enough, and now they're talking about getting it down to zero as a total. So we need to We do need to build more houses. We need to think long term about it. But we also need a system that works, and we need to make sure that when people go to support for MSD that that support is it is appropriate for what their need is, and that they're treated. They're treated for what the people they are. Everybody's a person, they need to be treated as such and that they're given good advice.
Speaker 3: What worries me is it before so hard to get stite has as back in the region. Now that's stopped, the demand is growing where they going to guy, we're just going to have to keep building some night shelters if we can't home these people. The fact is they have made the criteria to inter emergency housing more difficult. As a result, fewer people are going into emergency housing and here and what it up. Are they they're going to end up at that night shelter or are they going to be on the streets.
Speaker 1: According to the Salvation Armies State of the Nation twenty twenty five report, emergency housing numbers have plummeted from four thousand in September twenty twenty three, down to fourteen hundred in September twenty twenty four and below five hundred in December twenty twenty four. The agency site's reduction targets set by the government for the number of people in emergency housing, and they've tightened criteria for access to this kind of housing support. Now, is there a misconception that, Okay, yay, it's gone from four thousand to five hundred, But where of those yeah, where have those three thousand, five hundred people gone?
Speaker 2: So those three five hundred people have gone on to other forms of prices. We've shifted it around, so a lot of there are a lot of NGOs, including the Salvation Army, who are seeing a lot more people coming to them there. So a large number and we've had a visible increase in the numbers sleeping in the streets in most of our metro centers. So a large number of sleeping in the streets or in cars are hidden and large and even larger number or sleeping a coutsurfing with friends or family. So I need has been so the emergency housing was is a temporary trying to have a solution. But rather than reducing the wait list by reducing the amount of people in emergency housing by getting people into permanent housing, we've just said we've just made it much harder to get the emergency housing benefit. There are much newer emergency housing beds available and ms D is treating people much worse as they come into MSD. It is much harder to get through the MSD system to get an emergency housing benefit than it was. And those are the policy choices that have been enacted by the government, and they're very clear about it. It's a policy choice to reduce the emergency housing and to make it much harder to get.
Speaker 1: There were twenty three hundred and one applicants on the housing register as at thirty first of December twenty twenty four, a decrease apparently of twenty percent from the same time in twenty twenty three. How do you view those numbers?
Speaker 2: Yes, Likewise, if you make if you make the process of it, and if you've tried your one of the interesting things to do is to try to try to fill out the online forms to do an assessment for either MSD controlled both the emergency housing assistance and the wait list for paying or that you're talking about, and for to do either of those to fill it out. Like I'm pretty well educated and I have a PhD. And I do housing of the whole time, And to be honest with you, I struggle to fill out the forms when I'm trying to help people. It's really tricky, and there the help that's available to do this and to get the information right and to assess people's need isn't there. The emergency housing wait list is separated into categories. It's ABCD are the top level categories, and those are what we try howse so are what theoretically we could house. And then within that you're given a grade, so from a twenty one all the way down to a one. So a twenty one is the very highest need with no income, sleeping on the streets for a long time, or very high history of mental health needs, several children, dependence in utter prices of life and debt, and so we've gone from housing from a we used house pretty consistently A twenty one to about a thirteen, and now we're only housing A twenty one through a seventeen. So we're of those people that are that we'd like to be supporting on the wait list all the way from A twenty one down to D one. We're only housing that really tiny fraction in that real crisis. And that's the only way you get on the weight lift. That they've restricted access to getting on the weight list because there isn't enough housing, but also by making it trickier to get people on and to get your assessment needs so high that you're clearly an utter crisis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it seems quite difficult to do so as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so to be eligible to really get housed, you need to be an utter crisis. To fill out the forms, you need to be really well educated, really sharp, I have well able to express yourself and your needs and a lot of evidence to back it up. And quite often that people who are in the most crisis with the most mental health needs. This is quite a difficult aspal.
Speaker 1: Is there a misconception here about homeless people thinking of like the old adages of people saying, well, why don't they get a job, or don't give them cash on the street, they'll use it on drugs. I mean that must just get your guard.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the answer is when we house people, they do less drugs, they spend less time in the street, they get jobs. We've got to say that five years later, their income from employment is up one hundred and forty eight percent. When we looked at a cohort of people who were sleeping rough on the street and were housed by the People's Project, most of those had been paying taxes in the years before they were homeless, and after they were housed, about five years later, they were paying substantially more tax To be honest with you, I kind of go we're always all of us are only one big mental health crisis away from being homeless. Whether that's a trauma where you get hit in the back of the heads, something falls out of the sky and hits you in the back of the head, it can be enough to throw your life out and if you were we have a related mental health a shortage of mental health services. If you I think life is tricky enough and most people are tight enough that if things fall over you will wind up homeless in New Zealand and it is a really we make the system really hard to navigate. So yeah, I feel it's unfair to those people and those individuals who are homeless to blame them when the system is so badly set up and it doesn't do what it should what it should be trying to do. It's not achieving what it's what we should be achieving.
Speaker 4: No, No, I don't think it is the sole measure of success. You know, you can have people into permanent housing, but their well being and lifting the well being is also a secondary signal of success. Whether or not this is working, and certainly our concern, one of our concerns continues to be the potential for people to drift back into emergency or to tune back into emergency. That's quite a concern that we've had for the last twelve months. If we are able to help people ensure people aren't living in an emergency, that they don't trans and beck into emergency house in which, as you know, in my view, very catastrophic for they are in health or being, but it's also quite costly.
Speaker 1: Right and finally, never this might be a silly question, but Is the government doing enough to end homelessness?
Speaker 2: No, they're not. We have lots of bits of the system that aren't working, so we have an overall we're not building enough homes to meet the current backlog of need, let alone the future needs. We've made the first point of entry for those who are in most crises, and that emergency housing much harder to get through for people who are very vulnerable and struggle really to get help. We're relying on the Salvation Army and other NGOs to pick up a lot of slack that's made by a decision to reduce emergency housing in MSD and to make that git harder to get through. We have a very hard gate to get through for that permanent housing that we know really really works and really impost people lives and is most cost effective on that weight list. And of course getting on the weight list isn't the answer. You need to get off the weight list and be permanently housed. We are investing more money in transitional housing, but transitional housing to where our private rental market is broken to make up the gap. The accommodation supplement is woefully inefficient and the ineffective at making up that gap for those who could be in the private rental sector but aren't. So the government isn't doing enough. They don't have their systems talking to each other, and particularly around MSD, who controls a lot of this system, and they don't really they don't have a plan that they're trying to implement. We have what we still haven't right now, but the government isn't listening to the previous Homelessness Action Plan, which is all about getting people into permanent stable housing. So we know what the answer is. We're just don't seem to be working at it, and we're making it harder for people to get in the gate. That's why some of those lists are going down. It's not because we're seeing less people homeless or that the NGOs have to help less people. It's because we've made the system harder to approach. We've made a system more complicated.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us. Neville cheers. Jersey Ansied Herald's senior writer Simon Wilson has spoken with some of the residents at the Auckland City Missions Home Ground, which provides housing to those most in need. We have a chat with him about who these people really are.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Simon can you explain to me what home Ground is. For those who don't know, Homeground.
Speaker 5: Is the mothership of the Auckland City Mission building that was open three years ago. Homeground offers a principle in dealing with the homeless called housing first. And if you think about the standard way in which things used to be done. You have someone who's got a problem with substance its abuse, it's homeless living in a park or whatever. What used to happen is that social services would say to them, if you stop drinking or if you stop doing the drugs, we will find somewhere for you to live now, but you've got to be clean and you've got to look after yourself, and on it goest it didn't work because these are very traumatized people and very often their substance abuse or their mental health issues are a product of the trauma, and they're the hardest thing for them to deal with. So housing first says, but if we give people something somewhere that is safe to live, it's warm and dry, then with that housing need taken care of first, we can then wrap the services they need around them in order to rebuild their lives. So we can provide medical help psychological help. We can feed them, we can do we can give them vocational training, we can do outreach program so we can do all sorts of things.
Speaker 6: Well, I was living with Tosh, we mate and hedeed and passed away. You know, if your pre traumatic time having to be made in front of you. And but the mission, I mean they came to the party and they having this place is great. You know these days when I wake up from them like, oh God, I'm not being arrested lot. Life on the eas isn't life on the eas as I used to know it, because I've never been like this had my life sim to yell it.
Speaker 7: So it's I'm in terms of those who you've met, I mean, they seem like just really good people who just need a leg up.
Speaker 1: Basically, the tenants.
Speaker 5: That I've met there have quite remarkable stories. There will be severe trauma in their background, particularly if they're women. They will have almost certainly been abused, perhaps over decades. There'll be that trauma. There'll be mental health issues or be substance abuse issues. But at the same time, they are people who are not in an awful lot of cases, are not unlike what you might think of as you and me ordinary people. So I interviewed three of them for a story I've got coming out in the Herald, and the three I interviewed one of them as a PhD. Very bright guy. Obviously, he's contributed to social research in New Zealand. He is now at homegun. He's eighty two years old now. Lovely, lovely man, very smart, very dry wit. When you're talking to him, he throws jokes at you to see if you get them. That kind of thing. It's fantastic. So that was terrific to meet him. I met a couple of women who were very close friends and had known each other for thirty years. But apart from that relationship, they neither of them had women friends. They just weren't interested in having women friends. Didn't trust them, and they were both had a history of being abused physically abused by their partners, and also a history of drugs. They both left home when they were teenagers and got seriah actually into a drug culture and didn't quite manage to get themselves out until much much later, decades later. I had somewhere. They said, look, I'd be dead, I'd be dead if it wasn't for this place. And you kind of believe them. It offered them a way to sort themselves out, as they say, and that was working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was going to be my next question. Actually, where would these people go if it wasn't the home ground. I can't imagine it's an easy process to find somewhere to live when you're you.
Speaker 5: Know, there's twenty thousand people waiting for social housing in New Zealand and there's an awful lot of homeless people, and eighty eighty apartments isn't very much at all. There are many other homes around Auckland run by agencies, not just the City Mission but Vision West and other agencies, and some of those use the home ground services now, so homegrounds if you like the kind of Pinnacle one, it's the best because it was purpose built for it. But there are others, so a lot of those people will be and might find a common in those other places boarding houses or whatever, or they are sleeping rough. City Mission runs a facility that's only for women, so for women who basically just are traumatized by the presence of men. Now it's been so bad for them, so they secure there and gradually they'll kind of move into a more mixed society if you like they as they heal themselves. Homelessness comes and goes with the economic times. One of the ironies for Auckland, as for cities all over the world where there are facilities, is that homeless people will migrate to that city. If you're homeless in fung Erra, it's harder than if you're homeless in Auckland, because there are social services to help you that are better developed here than they're just not say they're not developed there. So that's an issue. I would say that the days of walking down Queen Street and feeling that, gosh, is this safe places? Is the clean place? Is this okay for all of us, I'd say that that's much less issue now than it used to be. That's my perception of it. I don't have any statistical evidence for it, but I go there a lot, and I go there in the evenings and an item as well as the day, and it does seem to me that it's a it's a better place all round now because there are more people doing all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Oh and there are places like Homeground.
Speaker 5: Now, there are places like home Ground. That's right.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Simon.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzadherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sells and Richard Martin, who is also a sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.