Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Straight down the middle of.
Speaker 3: DRUP Squad, try.
Speaker 1: Get inside the game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Liam Napier, powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Rugby directpowered by Access Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level. Elliott Smith with me, Liam Napier, and we have the forty four man squad for Rugby's greatest rivalry confirmed. Liam going to read us off the top of your head?
Speaker 2: How many? How manyame? Is it there?
Speaker 4: That's a bumper squad, isn't it, Elliott? But it must be the biggest squad certainly in recent memory, in all back's history. But it's going to be a brutal to and you'd have to think most of these players will be needed, certainly initially until you get to the back end and those midweek games cease.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there's gonna be a better rotation. I suspect with for six to two bench used when Dave Renny front of media a couple of weeks back. But I guess your initial top line reactions to the squads. I guess we probably thought that thirty four that played in July, or at least were named originally for July, would be there. That has been the case. No one's come in or out through injury or form. Jamie Hannah was added to that squad and is not in the touring party for this tour, with Fabi and Holan coming back, so no surprises in those thirty four names. I guess the ten that have been included, we have three uncapped players there in Hurricanes props, Ali Lawaukee, justh Jacob out of the Highlanders from next year, but also Tartanaki and Samesi to Portailor. The drums started beating for him a fear about last week, and sure enough he is there. So three new faces. But what do you make of the overall squad.
Speaker 4: I think when he's shown a pension for being bold and surprising us throughout his short tenure, we saw that in July, and I think we're seeing it again here. I'm not sure other all Black coaches would have selected Smessie. I think he has a lot of upside. He's a very powerful ball carrier, damaging and that was very evident in a pretty poor wineer pacifica team. I think by selecting him, the probably backing themselves to not recondition him, but improve his fitness and get more out of him so that he's the big bolter, isn't he? From a Rockie perspective, Lawaki can play both sides of the scrum. He is a real comer. I think he'll be there for a long period of time and it makes sense to get him in and blood him. And then the other talking points are no grief and Noah Hotham. I think those are the two biggest emissions and those guys will be pondering the futures. Potentially only three half backs in that squad four first five, so interesting balance there. But if your doc Carefa, you're sitting back. First it was Anton Segna, now it's Ethan Blackadder. You can't make a forty four man squad. So this changing regime has really hurt you last year when you turned down an overseas contract to stay to chase that all black jersey. So he will be filthy probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you'll be frustrated because he's gone from being quite high on the depth chart to plunging down quite quickly not Hopam's the same, and he started against South Africa and Wellington last year, albeit in ad midst of an injury crisis at halfback for the All Blacks, but now not in the squad to go to South Africa less than twelve months later. So there's been some really big drops. So I guess if we get the emission out of the way, you're right, Preston Karefi, Christian Leo Willie maybe offered throng a FASTI to an extent as well, those players that would consider themselves perhaps a little disappointed.
Speaker 2: Not to be there.
Speaker 3: The third half back scenario or fourth half back scenario was fascinated because they've clearly gone we back ourselves to get through the tour games by using Ratman and Preston. And if we need to, maybe we look at Leroy Carter because he's talked about a six or two bench, so maybe Leroy Carter comes into the reckoning. There is a bench option at half back that can also slot on the wing, maybe midfield as well, So perhaps they've gone we can cover that there mentioned here what Dave Rennie thinks as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're right, but I am surprised half back such a specialized position. You look at hookers the same. They have gone a fourth hooker with George Bell. I think, yeah, maybe you're looking at it at Leroy Carter, even a Damien McKenzie type character who can give you ten minutes at half back. Perhaps, but just on Hopem I think the messaging was clear around him not being fast enough to the base. Maybe there's an attitude or a personality thing with him and Careffe as well. Not too sure, but look, Hotham for me still has a lot of upside. He has a great running game and I think his kicking needs some work, but his distribution is usually pretty sound. So it's a massive drop if you think about you know, you potentially considering going to Africa for potentially once in a lifetime tour, and now you're back playing provincial rugby. I don't think, no, hope I will throw his toys and jump ship just yet. But if you're Coriffee at this stage in your career and you're not in that mix, I think he really will sit down and consider his options.
Speaker 3: Will you look at it now and go, okay, I'm not in this forty four man squads to go to South Africa in a year's time. They'reabout is they're going to have to take a World Cup squad now, Kareefe Hope Firm, Lego Willie are going to have to do a lot of work to get back in the selectors thinking. And you've still got plenty of rugby in front of you for those guys are going to a fall in PC season. Maybe they can impress it on the end of view too. They're going to a full super rugmiy sais. They're not out of time. But I guess it's a question now for them of do they have the willingness to go to work and get themselves up and chase that spot on the All Blacks which will be fascinated to see what they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting. I guess when you look at the balance of those and the contrasts and the complimentary skills that the lose. For blackad as your workhorse and so he probably edges Cariffe and sa Messi two po ty lower is your big ball carrying number eight and so they've gone that way rather than a Leio.
Speaker 2: Wade and.
Speaker 4: It's really hard to shift that needle and selection is so subjective. What Scott Robinson wanted is clearly different from what Dave Rennie, Neil Barnes and Graham Henry wants. So it is really hard to change that thinking you probably need a few injuries and as you say, a World Cup squads at least what ten players are reduction on this. So yeah, really tough. I don't see any other major major emissions you're talking about. Offer toing it fussy. I think time's probably moved on from him. He looked pretty gassed with ball in hand, in particularly only playing forty minutes for the Blues and basically scrummaging and not doing a lot else around the field.
Speaker 3: Well, it was remarkably came back from that neck injury at all, quite frankly, and good on him for doing so. But yeah, I think you're right. The thing of the moment's past.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, naturally Fabian Hollands will be a real asset. They'll gradually build him up. He's just played one game preseason for Otago. Ammonia Nahua is another one has played bugger or rugby, played a preseason game for Bay Have Plenty at the weekends and our producer wasn't glowing. Mark in his assessment of Emoni's performance and that. But I can't remember the last time he actually played for the Chiefs. It must have been the start of the season out of foot fracture, missed the bulk of that year. So he's another guy that's been picked.
Speaker 3: One of his last accident all next year's He was scoring that try at Eden Park against the spring Box last year. That's what he's capable of, but then had a very serious rib stomach issue around that punctured lunched lung.
Speaker 2: That's it. And you know, but we know what he's capable of as well.
Speaker 4: So and he's another essential essentially another fullback in that mix. So he's good in the air, quite silky skills. So he certainly fits that brief that they're looking for.
Speaker 3: It does indeed, I guess if we're just going to talking about Smithy Toboard tay Lower a little bit more like I've been a big fan of him for a couple of seasons.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Now technically he was ineligible while he was playing for Wader Pacifica. Now Moana no longer exists, he doesn't have a Super Rugby contract for next year. It's made him agualy be picked I'm sure they could have bent the rules some way to get him in there, but I've been very impressed by him. The question I would have is he's probably a little bit rough around the edges in terms of his play. I would also suggest that maybe we've seen players from Miwana Pacifica go to other Super Rugby franchises and maybe it's a case of big fessional pond sort of thing.
Speaker 2: At Mojana.
Speaker 3: You stand out when you are doing something in a team that isn't really getting much go forward. You think of Levi Moore potentially and other players as well, they haven't maybe further their careers at other teams. So that's the one reservation I have about him. But I think he's a quality player. He seems dialed in and yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Black jersey. I think there's a big opportunity for him with an eye to not only this too a bit beyond.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I agree. I think what your biggest upside is a player is a point of difference, and you can't coach size. And when you look at the composition of that loose forward makes there's no one else like in terms of physical composition, he steamroll players were ball in hand. I think it was there a performance against the Chiefs that stands out, and as I was saying a pretty poor team, he did shine. So maybe there's it speaks to what you're saying.
Speaker 2: But also.
Speaker 4: Things have had to move pretty quickly behind the scenes. He's on Rugby has had to contract him for next season without a Super Rugby franchise, so interesting to see the scramble that goes on behind the scenes and who looks to pick him up. A couple of other points to note. Tatavanahwa back in the midfield, another guy with a point of difference. Probably not his best Super Rugby season. I think he carried an injury for much of the year. And I'm not sure how much to read into this, but Rico jan he selected as an outside back, not a midfielder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's gonna be interesting to see. Yeah, I mean, has this I heard a couple of people on Piney Show, I think it was of the Weekends, just thing that maybe he should be the starting center on this tour. I'm not sure that things will get to that point, but again, different coaches, it may see different things. Enrico Yuani and what he can do in a Test team. Josh Jacob Let's dial in a bit about him surprised by his selection. He takes the Richie Wonger spot that would have gone to Richie Wong's way, which sounds like he's good to go for the NPC opening round this weekend from that carf injury, but he gets a not in the All Blacks for the first time. To be honest, I've been a big fan of Josh Jacon for a few seasons, but I feel he's kind of stagnated a little bit at super Apeia level from the promise that he showed a couple of years ago, and maybe going to the Highland is next year a sea change would be good for him and everything else like that. But maybe Neil Barnes knows him at Tartanak and can get the best out of him. But I feel like he's stagnated a little bit. So it'll be interesting what role he has on this to with the All Blacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, he's stagnated promptly because of a lack of opportunity. Right. He has been in that All Blacks fifteen on the cusp of Test selection, but not really in the conversation because Boden Barrett and Damien McKenzie and Mitch and Morong are coming back and Reuben Love now taking the reins, so you're quite well down the pecking order there. But yeah, going to the Highlands next year, we'll give him a chance to own a team to run the cutter and hopefully that'll be the making of his career. For me, he to this point in his career has been a real steady hand. I think he does the game management side of things well, but I think he to this point has lacked a bit of X factor in terms of challenging the line, a bit of creativity, So I want to see a bit more out of him there. The interesting scenario for me is they must have been tempted just to take three tens and then if you get an injury, you can immediately ask for an exemption to bring Moan over. So I'm a wee bit surprised that they've taken Jacob and four tens and they haven't closed that door because if if first five fullback goes down, they can argue they need someone. But it does kind of mitigate the need for Muwanga, doesn't It.
Speaker 3: Well, it does, but yeah, absolutely, because it's harder to argue if even if you ed to lose a random and random member of the squad, it's harder to go we always bring a rich and wonger there because you've got the cover there with fourteens. If it was if you had three teams and say a midfielder or outside back when down there and go, okay, we're going to put longer and we're going to move Barrett as outside back now or whatever it might be. But you do lose that argument a little bit. I'm sure there are ways to manipulate it. Point I've made previous on the podcast is that you know he fining off for it, continues to be selected by the All Blacks and is going on this tour. Still have not had an update as to whether he's out of this contract with Newcastle yet a player that's committed to New Zealand can't be selected, so I still find that baffling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard to get your head around some of those things, isn't it. Ardie severe as well, late start which was flagged by Rennie during July. He will arrive sometime closer to the first test, so we will essentially get two weeksish off to refresh physically, mentally, spend time a family. So there'll be another captain for the first three tour games.
Speaker 2: I believe in two captains.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, And look that's got to be needed, doesn't it. For ARTI's basically played eighteen months of rugby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was his choice to go on sabbatical, so let's remember that. But it was again, if he goes doesn't go on sabbatical, perhaps it's not contract to member of New Zealand Rugby. So there are swings and roundabouts there and various things that have to be you know, you got to pay the piper, so to speak, and balance it out that way. I don't have a huge issue with for missing it. And there were reports obviously from Gregor Paul and others including yourself around you know, may not even play for the All Blacks again. So I think we've got to the point now if he's selling to miss those first two or three tour matches, probably about it right and and we know what we'll get out of Artie. I mean there was chatter that he maybe would miss the entire July series, but he was appointed captain. You can't have your captain missing the first three tests under a new era, so there was a little bit of balancing going on.
Speaker 2: I don't have a huge issue with it. What about yourself?
Speaker 4: I think, look, it makes sense this window to refresh him. He's going to play full brutal tests against the Box and captain unless there's some major injury. So yeah, I think it makes sense. Just on Artie's future, I think he is definitely itching closer to inking a deal with the Blues. I know the Blues met with him in person during those three tests in July and they put forward a formal offer and it's now basically sitting with New Zealand Rugby to see if they can bridge the financial gap. But I think that will happen. That's my expectation because he doesn't really have anywhere else to go, certainly not within New Zealand Arabia, I wouldn't think, and the Blue who are the strongest commercial team in New Zealand, so I don't think you'll get any more money elsewhere. So maybe that deal gets done by the time he gets to Africa. Not one hundred percent on that, but it certainly wheels in motion.
Speaker 3: It would have been nice to see him in red and black, but you know, cut and everything. Who has the most again, out of let's say the ten players that have been recalled, we haven't touched Ethan black at back in the mix as well for the first time in a couple of years. Very much alike Forul Like with Jacobson, I suppose if you're going to shadow the two teams, there's just seven on the other side of things, and he's got in with Karefi. But out of those ten new ish names, who has the most again, in terms of making a test twenty three? Do you think, well, who has the most likelihood of breaking into the Test twenty three?
Speaker 4: Well, it partly depends on injuries. But look, if a guy like Samssi Toptaya Lower comes out and steamroll some massive South African opponents, I think he's a genuine candidate for the bench, isn't he him on with twenty minutes to go and unleash him. Look, he's as you to your point, he's still very raw and it'll be interesting to see how much game time he actually gets. But if you look at some of the other rookies like Jacob and Lowaki, they feel like they're further down the picking order where Taylor I feel like he could come up pretty quick, depending on performances and how he takes that environment. It can be very overwhelming and can take players sometime to find their feats, but I think he's certainly one guy. Jacob, I don't see him really pushing that hards. Fabian Holland obviously could rise up the ranks pretty quickly if he can get up to speeds. He hasn't played a lot of rugby this year, but he's a young man and by all accounts of Rehead, Well what about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say Fabin Holand would be close to that match that first choice twenty three, I mean tweet, but lots he played really well starting opportunity with in Dowry play some great rugby this year as well. Josh Lord, I think we're well served with locks super vibe. But if you're going to have VI on the blind side, the question is whether you need a lot on the bench. So maybe he's either got to be in the starting side or not at all, and that lends you should get more flankers on the bench, So maybe he might not be able to crack that twenty three potentially for this tour. I think in morning Nadawa, you know, every time he's been in the black jersey has stood up. I think if you get some reps under his belt, then there's a very good chance that he could find his way into a twenty three man. Not history starting, but just that versatility off the bench is that he can play the wings, he can play full back. He's played midfield as well at Super Rugbia level I think, but certainly in n PC. So it just gives the benchrops, especially if you want to go for a six to two. So I think think of our players that can rapidly climb up the first choice ranks.
Speaker 4: I think Fabian Holland. Look, he's a red hot chance of being the starting lock for the All Blacks again. It was only eighteen months ago as World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year, was probably one of the All Blacks best last year. He just physically he's a massive units so shouldn't have any any trouble in that regard and a great line out target. Prior to his injury he was an eight minute player half the time as well, even at Test level, so he's a real asset. To get back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and looked pretty good for the forty minutes. I saw a bit of that the other day Otago in the Shield defense. That about does us rugby direct quick. We've done Brad Moore leaving the Crusaders as an assistant coach, We'll take on the Fiji and drew it job. So he was sort of jostling with Scott Hanson by the sound of it for that Crusader's job, deciding to go abroad and take on newer pastures, warmer past years, probably in Fiji.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the smiling assassin's buller buller. Yeah, it's a it's a good gig. I think the Duror have a lot of potential. I think they faded from mcburn to Glenn Jackson. It's interesting to see what Brad Moore can get out of them. He's vast experience. He's traveled with the Globe and the Fiji national team of the concern at the moment. So if you do well with the Duror, you rarely put yourself in the shop window for their national team, who got pumped a couple of times in November with their surprising coaching change. So there's there's a real pathway to progression there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much so.
Speaker 3: NBC also starts this weekend, looking forward to that getting underway. I think it's Canterbury ranfully Shield Challenge not too far away.
Speaker 2: So we look forward to that.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure that needs a mention. Africa Go Tigers, always a big fan.
Speaker 2: Look forward to NBC getting underway.
Speaker 3: That does ust for what Rugby Direct where We're back next week from South Africa. Perhaps earlier in the week quanci Land or not once we land, but the day after we land. Maybe might just get a get a boots on the ground and get into a podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, have a steak first.
Speaker 2: By Bryan Steak.
Speaker 3: Whatever, look forward to We'll catch you there from South Africa. Thanks to Mark Kelly for producing and our thanks to Access Solutions as well.
Speaker 2: We'll see you in the Republic.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks ed B listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.