Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Armor Tiles, New Zealand Herald's politics podcast, Scrutiny Week special edition The Herald Gallery Officers coming to Your Life from Parliament Delayed live with its views on Scrutiny Week, Parliament's first of a Scrutiny Week. I'm Thomas Cotland, the Deputy Political Editor, first up with her thoughts as the political editor of the New Zealand Herald. Clear Tribette. Clear, it feels a strange interviewing my boss. What if Scrutiny Week has stood out for you?
Speaker 2: Well? Well, my first counter with Scrutiny Week was Speaker Jerry Brownlee doing the Parliamentary Service Budget in which he first of all had at Heritage New Zealand for having designate the Beehive a Heritage listed meant that I couldn't do anything with the old concrete bunker NIX which used to house the press gallery out the back. Has asked that they do something with Heritage New Zealand so that old buildings don't just have to sit there until they fall apart. You're not allowed to do anything with them. And he then proceeded to show his generation when talking about MP security by saying that in the olden day, MPs were given their handbooks, their kind of things they were allowed, like security allowances and stuff in hard copy form, and that didn't happen anymore these days. And then he continued on that theme to note he also found it very puzzling that nobody answered their landlines on their desk anymore, and every time he tried to ring someone, nobody answered.
Speaker 1: Interesting stuff. Thank you for your contributions to Scrutiny Week. Clear, Julia Gable is not here and our US reporter, so she will skip this episode. Adam Piers, our second US Adam Cura. Good a Scrutiny Week highlights for yourself, It's.
Speaker 3: More of a low light for me. I think I was probably a little disappointed by all maps. I had higher expectations of what Scrutiny Week might provide us in a I suppose democratic sense. It was essentially an extension of what we see normally with select committees, where opposition members try and find out pieces of information, go along lines of inquiry, but eventually they are shut down by patsy questions from the government. However, I will say that Scrutiny Week did provide a lot of opportunities for us to be able to inquire about topics that we wanted to learn more about, particularly given that a lot of the ministers have different portfolios to appear before select committees across the week on multiple occasions, so we're able to, for example, prosecute the government's cancer drug policy and able to see that there are quite different perspectives between certain ministers, namely Nikola Willis, Shane Retti, David Seymour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was probably the biggest story to come out of Screwed in the week, I think, which is funny because it wasn't really you know, we only it was a story that was already existed and it was only taken forward. It wasn't really a news story. I sort of agree with that actually, Like it just feels like an extension of all ordinary estimates weeks. There's some interesting details, Like I felt like I found some interesting stuff out, but it was interesting rather than it was it was e femera wasn't it was interesting rather than newsbreaking. I think one of the Labor press releases one of the days was the fact that the examples and the tax package were ghost families. They were real families. They were just you know, fake, and it wasn't really that interesting to me. I mean, obviously you just make up examples to illustrate a policy. It didn't really seem that scandalous to me. But you know, anyway, Winston Peters was good. He seemed quite good. You were in Winston's yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I was in Winston's earlier in the week with his racing hat on, which is always entertaining to see. I think I'd agree with you in the sense that it is. It is interesting but not necessarily groundbreaking. But when we see instances like Pawtucker, who talked about how it was ambitious that we're going to save every species now depend regardless of your position on that matter, it's still interesting just to hear your conservation minister talking about that we might actually not save every species and that it's a vicious goal. You know, it's just provides an opportunity for them to put their feet in their mouth, as it were.
Speaker 1: So I suppose we did get to see which ministers were vulnerable to putting their feet in their mouths and which ones are sort of safe. I thought. I spent all of Tuesday and christ bishops committees and he really didn't, you know, letting the goals and he's fine lasted under scrutiny for hours and hours and hours even in the sports portfolio, you know everything. Whereas yeah, Tama goes up here. I had a long committee as well, but this conservation committee just totally put his foot In't it very funny, Adam? Thank you very much for your contributions. Sophie and the ZIB office, Jason and Demelza away. Jason managed to make it safely back from Japan and the Papua New Guinea and Australia, but Sophie's been holding the thought. So for your your views on screen.
Speaker 4: In your week, Yeah, I've been eavesdropping slightly on what Adam said, and he did pick up two of my favorite things, which were the cancer drug discrepancy in what the ministers were saying, and what the Conservation minister said about protecting endangered species. I have really enjoyed seeing some important issues kind of prosecuted or canvassed over a much longer period of time than we would normally see in question time. For example, so yesterday in the Justice Select Committee, there was quite a lengthy and back and forth between Ginny Anderson and Police Minister Mark Mitchell about whether or not police were stepping back from family harm and mental health callouts, and so that was sort of a bit of a theme throughout the whole day of the Justice lect Committee and Police Commission. Andrew Costa was able to sort of explain how cases were triaged, and I thought that while it may not have been groundbreaking, it was kind of interesting to see an issue that we haven't heard much about from this government kind of sort of being able to be interrogated in a long format like that, do we.
Speaker 1: Get to the bottom of that issue?
Speaker 4: The government has said and the Police Minister have said that you know, where violence is occurring, where family violence has occurred, police will always be dispatched. But Labour's Ginny Anderson is arguing that in the Minister's letter of intent it says they are stepping back from family harm callouts. And the Commissioner did say that as well, that if police attended every single incident where there is a risk of something bad happening, then they just wouldn't have capacity to discharge the rest of their responsibilities.
Speaker 1: It's a really interesting story to coming out. You never really, you always get to close to the bottom. You never quite get to the bottom of that in this leakmmittee, but that is an interesting, interesting little detail. On the titles, listeners, we'll be able to pick up in your accent at can Burn an Australian. Are you keeping an eye on what's happening at home? The climate war was back on back home in Australia, and you know, any thoughts on what's happening across the ditch.
Speaker 4: I have been focusing on scrutinizing this government this week, so I probably wouldn't comment on that.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, it's interesting stuff, you know. I mean, I should read my own newspaper, read, you know, but like I can't, can't help them keep an eye on what's happening across the ditch. It's interesting, certainly interesting. Thank you Sophie for joining us on the podcast. Thanks for the listening. Sorry so a bit short this week. That is the way the cookie crumbles, but thank you for listening. It was on the tiles for another week, our producers, even Sills, and we'll be back next week with our local edition up on the tiles. Thanks for listening.