Speaker 1: Life from the Export Beer Gardens Studio and brought to you is always by Export Ultra, the bear for here. This is the Agenda Podcast for the Thursday, the twenty second of August.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you my Export a Vulture.
Speaker 1: I've said it before, Matt Heath, and I'll say it again. I used to take the pass out of Jason Hoyt because every day before his radio show he would write.
Speaker 3: Down a note and I would always wonder what is he writing.
Speaker 1: One day I went in there and had a look at it, and it was just the day's date, literally said get our New Zealand, welcome into Bouge or the Big Show or whatever. Today is the blah blah blah blah blah. And I always really that the one thing that's repetitive in your show, you have to write that down. And here I am stumbling over the date every day. Yeah, it's harder than you'd think. I don't know what the date is.
Speaker 4: Oh it is the ah, look at that. My minute's hand is over the date because it's because it's currently caught a pass So I just have to wait there Thursday that it's just moved come around.
Speaker 1: Twenty second thing is I do this podcast every day, so like basically.
Speaker 4: Had one to the well you kind of add one and then it rolls over. You know, you know, like you're on this you don't know how many days half each month.
Speaker 3: It's so arbitrary.
Speaker 1: And I think I've tried one of my half bag sports ideas had nothing to do with sports. It was a base ten time system. Oh have I told you about this.
Speaker 4: I've been deep into this because someone there's people trying to get it going.
Speaker 3: The base ten time system.
Speaker 1: So there's ten hours in a day, ten days and a week, I guess ten weeks in a month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I want to bring in because you know in China, China should have I think it's five time zones, but they only have one because they're like, we want to be able to organize meetings, and so what does it freaking matter If the number is twelve that's lunchtime. Yeah, if that number is nine and it's lunchtime, that's right, twelve, it's not it's just you an arbitrary number. It doesn't matter. So I'm like global clock is because if you're organizing a zoom call. You just want to be able to say Global twenty four hour clock and you say, well it's at three. Yeah, it doesn't matter what that what you'd normally do. It doesn't matter if that's your afternoon tea or doesn't mean if you're out of the wiiz, it doesn't it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It's just a three.
Speaker 1: So then it goes from a time difference across the world to just a cultural difference in that part of the world.
Speaker 3: They have dinner at for him. Yeah, isn't it interesting? Yeah, the number is four and that's when they have their dinner, but we have it at sixteen. But you're even like, even better make it decimal.
Speaker 4: Although I've been thinking about the decimal system and I'm going off it because you're off the decimal system because twelves can be divided easily into four.
Speaker 3: I think why they used to have it is like quarters quds has it works? Yeah, you know, And then I think, what happens? We just got so fancy.
Speaker 4: You know when people are winning races by one thousandth of a second. Yeah, you know that that kind of you know, measuring a race and pounds doesn't work anymore, or ounces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're right about the time zone thing is like, why don't we just have everybody's on the exact same time. Yeah, because I used to work in the mainstream sports media and trying to tee up interviews with people in Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shit show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that are two hours behind us until we go into daylight savings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what gets you.
Speaker 1: Then some of them are three hours behind us, but only for two weeks. Then they do daylight savings, but then some others don't observe it. Yes, I think Adelaide has its own time zone and.
Speaker 4: I think we could probably work out that worth And even if are we going to we are going to do darlight saving, why don't we just change the number so you go, Hey, you guys have to write it at work at eight now. Yeah, Like, we don't need to change the whole fricking thing. We just need to say that, you know when it's daylight saving, Hey, daylete saving tomorrow, so you're over at eight tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Everyone's got that. Yeah, it was seven now it's eight. Yeah, all the other way around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're a bit beholden to this the slrubbish. I'm actually trying to have you read the book blitzed?
Speaker 3: Sure? Heaven is that the one about myth and the myth.
Speaker 4: In Nazi Germany? And they're the guy that wrote at Norman Eiler. He's just written a book called Tripped, which is acid in the in Nazi Germany. It needs to be stopped, he does. But I'm just trying to tee up an interview with him. He's the literary pad of galat And so I was just trying to work out and I realized I was too dumb to work out a zoom call with someone in Berlin.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just was like, we're gonna have to really, I love your box, I really want to talk to you, but I'm too dumb. Yeah, I'm too dumb to work out to line this one up one up, So we're gonna have to not do that.
Speaker 1: There are websites that can help with this. I used to have one bookmarks from when I was trying to interview tea up interviews all around the world.
Speaker 3: Just be like, right, apm out time, then it's your time.
Speaker 1: Then you organize an interview and you say I'll talk to you at eight pm, but you forget to say New Zealand time. Yeah, well South African time. Yeah, it's a whole shit show. And don't give you this bullshit about well it's too ingrained now you can't change it. Because when the Russians invented the Trans Siberian Bloody train line, yeah, they put time zones in. Yeah, we've got to figure it all out because this train, it's now possible for humans to move across five different yeah, time zones.
Speaker 3: So we've got to figure it out. Whereas the Chinese Communist Party went.
Speaker 4: Screw you your everyone's on the same time, at the same time.
Speaker 3: It's all the same time. Fuck you fuck, It's like, shut up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going a different brand of communism because although.
Speaker 4: I talked to this guy from Wellington who's known as the New Zealand time Lord, and he's the guy that keeps our time and everyone everyone has a time lord and they they've all got the pulsar clocks and for time to work, it's quite complic complicated, and everyone has to be sinking the clocks around the world all the time. So I talked to him and his thing for this when I was pitching the idea of everyone having the same time, everyone in the world, and he was for it, but who's time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but who's time.
Speaker 4: But he was saying that we should actually have two times. We do actually have different two times. It's New Zealand because we've got shad of minds. Is on a different time zone, right, Yeah, but he was saying that actually in Thecargo and Ka Tire should be on a different time zone. But we've kind of said nah, and in Vcargo you're going to be up late on in summer.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. Yeah, so we've kind of we kind of have done it.
Speaker 1: It's down south, the sun's up till like ten o'clock at night in peak summer.
Speaker 4: And then when we were down in Dunedin it was we were so confused when we were recently down.
Speaker 3: There, sunset shortly after we got up.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but it's not like we started crashing our cars and running around and having sort of aneurysms or anything.
Speaker 3: Just was like, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: So but hang on, so the time lord, So surely is this a full time employment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, your time lord.
Speaker 4: And but they're having meetings constant. Apparently they have no trouble at all working out their zone. Zoom calls, everyone's there.
Speaker 3: You'd hope.
Speaker 4: So, but it's not as simple as you just set the clocks going, well, it's a year. The guys from America throwing up and go, what's happening down there? And the specific let's link it up, and they're and they're doing they're doing it constantly.
Speaker 1: I just imagine his whole workday is just zoom calls any what time is it?
Speaker 3: What time is it? Twelve? What time is it? What time is it where you are?
Speaker 1: And they're like, systems working, Okay, hit your buddon wait, wait, three, two, one?
Speaker 3: Where do we go on one? Do we go when you push it? Or do we go after ye paper?
Speaker 4: And then you're in Beijing and you're like, get out of here, it's not that time, Beijing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ring up, Beji funk off. We're doing our own time. Look, you guys do whatever time you want. But yeah, we're doing and then why do we Yeah the Gregorian calendar. Let's not go into the whole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, let's not talk about why October.
Speaker 3: Is the bloody tenth. Let's not get into that either, because it should be the eighth. It should be the eighth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Vember's clearly the ninth month, but there's the eleventh December.
Speaker 3: Look, that's tenth. That's ten. They're ten, but there's twelve.
Speaker 4: So what are we doing here overhaul the whole system?
Speaker 1: I guess you need to have a global emperor. Yeah, to do that kind of thing, make those changes. Once China takes over everything, well, could they just get on with it?
Speaker 3: You know, we know what you're up to. Yeah, although they do have.
Speaker 1: Some problematic policies around what are the funniest things when they instituted communism over there. One of the guys obviously they couldn't run the farms. There's a sports podcast by the way. They couldn't run the farms. So whoever, I think it was chim and mal whoever is it was all the birds. Birds are eating all the crops. Yeah, just get the sparrows. The sparrows are the problem, so we'll kill all the sparrows.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Plagues of locusts, the locus, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were.
Speaker 3: They didn't realize.
Speaker 4: It was kind of like our I don't know why we introduced possums into New Zealand.
Speaker 3: What the it was? I feel like possums with word over here for a reason.
Speaker 1: That didn't it's like ossies came over and what is with all of this beautiful natural native flora and fauner?
Speaker 3: Yeah, gott to fuck that off? Or like those awesome people that bought in Gorse for their hedges.
Speaker 4: Oh bro, it's like Gorson kills me. Yeah, come on, that was a shit idea.
Speaker 3: And rabbits. You were too lazy to build a fence you brought gauseon. Yeah, well I.
Speaker 4: Think rabbits for the classic one, didn't They bring stoats and to get rid of the rabbits and so what then you had is just a shipload of rabbits and a shipload of stoats and very little native fauna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they brought the canterbary panther in in an effort to try and stop all of that. Then the canterbary panther go on the lost of the field than most had to be introduced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's keep going.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is a sports podcast for slightly off there for a second, I missed what you said, and I'm gotta listen better in podcasts, because you were telling a really interesting story about a guy trying to escape your school and getting attacked.
Speaker 3: By a dog. Oh yes, and I just ran rough shot over it with a very boring story about Sniff the dog or something.
Speaker 4: So I've got to listen. Oh yes, because yeah, because apologize. And I only really realized how good your story was until Joe came into a group chat with you and me and said.
Speaker 3: I had that guy get a tack my dog there as well. And I say, I kin'd of vaguely rememberhih, and I are saying that that sounds like a really interesting topic that should have been leaned into. But then I'm in the pot. I'm just coming cross with my beige material.
Speaker 1: So this is obviously something that had happened around regional Canagory in the eighties and nineties where they would put because his in summer, his school would have an assembly outside and they did the same thing, whole assembly sitting there and then a man, just strange man comes sprinting out of a classroom and gets mowed down by a fucking Alsatian and then our eyes as kids torn to shreds before your very.
Speaker 3: Eyes, like sounds a real tough love situation.
Speaker 1: Traumatize the man because he because when we did it, it was like come out of assembly, and then the teachers are all like stop here, so like what's happening? Then a man comes spreading out of a building and you know, mind you, this is a year or two after after nine to eleven. So I'm like, shit, they found us.
Speaker 3: Now you might as well have an active shooter in the school. But it's a fake active shooter. That's exactly color.
Speaker 4: It's like, God, Davy Feers has just got mowed down my own active shooter.
Speaker 1: What I don't understand is why couldn't they have told us, giving us a heads up. Hey, here's how it works when the cops are chancing without a bad guy. No, they're like shock and AWE has traumatized these kids.
Speaker 3: Oh I know what I did.
Speaker 4: I ran rough shot over that excellent store reviewers with me being told off for calling a zebra cross a prodescer in crossing the zebra cross. Yeah, it was a very mundane story. So anyway, if you say anything, just maybe put your hand up in all I zoning.
Speaker 1: Off the back of his hands up, My hands up off the back of the traumatizing school shenanigans. Joe asked in the text thread last night, did you guys ever have where you they put you into like a mangled up car and then the fibrigade would cut you out of the jaws of life like a training thing.
Speaker 3: I did happen at my school. Yeah, were you? Did you have to get in the car now? I didn't. I didn't get to get in the car, much to my and that was really unhappy. Sugrin.
Speaker 4: Chagrin was the weirdest loking for But I've been saying charggering, so I was too scared to say, yeah, I've only is it Sugrin, I don't know. I've only ever said it written down. I can't read.
Speaker 3: But I had to do it. Back in the day. My mate's dad.
Speaker 1: And world famous country music singer Kaylee Bell's dad were in the volunteer fibrigade.
Speaker 3: Oh for a second, I thought you were she by the way you're saying that she was your sister. No, because you said my dad. Oh you didn't say're not listening again, my friend's dead. Yeah and her dad.
Speaker 1: That's just by the biers wanted to shoot on Kaylee Bell into this podcast again anyways, and all so, but it's end all so. The Regent Theater, which she sold out six times in a row, which is more than the total population of the town we grew up at. They did like a volunteer fire brigade training exercise where it was like, we're going to pretend the theater's on fire and the fibrigade comes through to find all of the people who have passed out from the smoke inhalation. So my role as a twelve year old boy was to play and knocked out unconscious kid who just inhaled too much smoke.
Speaker 4: I've seen you in that state on Fridays and Saturday nights. I've seen you in that state in Paris. I might do it tonight. And so I where they put me was sort of just side stage, stage right, and it was behind a curtain.
Speaker 3: They lay me down on the floor.
Speaker 1: So I'm lying down with my head basically at the curtain end, and this dude comes through boots and all full fire and boots, steel cap, bet, respirator thing, helmet, the tank on the back, whatever that is. He comes through, pulls the curtain back and as he walks takes a step just boots me right in the side of the heat a fucking hell, and so I yell out and he bins over to see what's happened. And as he bins the like release valve on his respirator releases and all of the drool comes out of his fucking respirator just all over my.
Speaker 3: Face, Like, ah, what the fuck man?
Speaker 1: And he goes, hey, shush, You've got a pretend you're being knocked out.
Speaker 3: That's the whole point of this exercise. I was like, you just sped all over my face and kick me the fucking head.
Speaker 1: He's like, shush, and then carried me out wow front and Mum goes, how was that was that fun?
Speaker 3: I was like, that sucked.
Speaker 4: I am I not running rough the shot of your story. But I was on the front page of the Early t because I was one of those kids that makes news by getting stuck down a drain.
Speaker 3: Oh really, so I got.
Speaker 4: I got lost down a drain and couldn't get out up on near Highgate in Dunedan.
Speaker 3: How did you just crawl in? I crawled in.
Speaker 4: I was like, I want it was down there and I had this torch that I've got for Christmas, and I was like, oh, go down there. And I was about five, and because Marty Hill Primary School is just near there, went down there and I was on the front page of the hero old boy gets rescued from drain and I was in like one of those harnesses that they pulled you out of the drain.
Speaker 1: They lowered it, and they're like, so you were down like vertical down a drain, vertical down a drain. Yeah, Jesus, and then what they lowered the harness down there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's so it was weird because I wasn't scared at all. I was just like, oh, someone will get me, you know.
Speaker 3: But I think it called cook course a bit of concern in the in the Dunedin community.
Speaker 1: I can imagine, Oh, yeah, just get on you for not being ship even you telling me that I'm quite Yeah, if.
Speaker 4: I was down there now, I'd be shedding my pants. Yeah, there's a sort of more honescent. You know, you a bit of a moron when you're five. Yeah, a little Yeah, natal go down there in the first place.
Speaker 3: But all's well, that is well, yeah, get on the paper. Yeah it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably not what your parents thought you would get on the front page of the papety.
Speaker 4: I've seen that. It's very yellow, yellow bit of paper. Now, oh they've still got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're still kind of nice a round one is over of the greatest New Zealander of all time, by the way, he they were over twenty one thousand votes across all of the matchups.
Speaker 3: That's huge.
Speaker 1: Let me throw some stats at you. The biggest win was Richie McCaw over Dan Carter. Wow, it's Richie getting eighty one percent of the votes.
Speaker 4: No one in the world would get eighty one percent of the votes against Dan Carter apart from Richie mccaugh.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point. Yeah, yeah, and it was actually surprising to me. But yeah, Richie just went and people love Dan Carter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they love Dan Card.
Speaker 4: I was just watching All Blacks highlights sometimes I watch on YouTube they just come up, and I was watching a bunch of best moments.
Speaker 3: Of Dan Carter on YouTube yesterday and to some great moments.
Speaker 4: Great moments. I mean, his highlight reel is going to be better than Richard macauy's. But rich mccaugh's doing a lot of work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's putting the seed in some dark places. Dan Carter the TB actually obviously they wouldn't accept bets on something as bullshit as but they did put together odds for it, and Dan Carter was five point fifty was the second shortest odds. Wow, and he got knocked out in the first round, so just came up against the buzz or. The closest match up in round one was Bears versus Martin Crow, and Bears got there. Bears got there with fifty three percent. Now, this was one of the ones that was split between Instagram and Facebook. I think the Facebook audience a little bit older, so they were all Martin Crow Ah.
Speaker 3: Bears was all Instagram. Wow. Instagram was all Bears. But either way it was very close. Bears fifty three percent.
Speaker 4: Did you put up COVID the polio? Interesting that you probably get a similar split on Facebook.
Speaker 3: No, No, that wouldn't work.
Speaker 1: We shit, yeah, we should do the greatest greatest plagues of all time.
Speaker 3: Well, you could go meet He's also been fish, chicken pox. Monkey pox is having a real moment right now.
Speaker 4: I know my son came home and said, we've got we were you know, they're they're talking about lockdowns for monkey pox, and I say, it's not going to him.
Speaker 3: But that's what I said about COVID.
Speaker 1: I remember when swine flu came out. Yeah, I think I was still at high school. Yeah, and I knew a dude who had his appendix burst and the ambulance wouldn't pick him up beause they thought he had swine flu.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, my son was being born in the middle of One of my sons has been born in the middle of swine flu, and no one was allowed in the birthing room apart from me in the in the person giving birth in a doctor.
Speaker 3: I think a person giving birth was the mother mother. Yeah, yeah, you would. What was that person given birth? I think he would have made it.
Speaker 1: First match up. Oh sorry, So to go through the odds of throw on the back of the rundown, it cracks me up. So there were two conferences. Richie mccaugh it's the shortest sides at five dollars. Dan Carter was five dollars fifty. He got knocked out, And also in the other conference, Willie Apiazza was the other shortest favorite. He was at five dollars. He got knocked out by Charlie Upham at five fifty. If I was a gambling man, the longest sides you can still feature at the moment the four square guy eighty one dollars to win the whole thing. Yeah, he managed to sneak through and around number two, but I quite like you Herald the Giraffe at twenty six's jeez, that's good eating Jason Gunn at twenty one dollars and I think Jason Gunn because he's getting the most active in the comments. Yeah, okay, I'll probably go home if I was to try.
Speaker 3: And me and Jason Gunner currently in a series of ads. I've seen that. Yeah it's drinking whiskey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great god, he's a good man.
Speaker 1: Jason Gunn great New Zealander, great, But is he the greatest New Zealander of all time?
Speaker 3: Have you say? Right now? On Instagram and Facebook?
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break, we'll come back and talk some proper sport. Well, welcome back to the Gender Podcast, ostensibly a sports podcast.
Speaker 3: The ASP Classic is happening this summer.
Speaker 1: They've just announced their first headline marquee player and it's the Boo Lulu Son. She's going to be headlining KASP Classic.
Speaker 4: My least favorite person is special that nicol and Dimes, whether she's New Zealand or not, like she's playing under the New Zealand flag in this grew up in town.
Speaker 3: Now what do you want to spend some time there? Like why would you just just grab it, grab what you can get. Yeah, it's bloody great.
Speaker 1: Because, by the way, if Lebron James turned around tomorrow and was like, I'm from New Zealand, Yeah, everyone will be like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember she's ki. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think we need to wrap around all these because most sports people, particularly individual athletes, they have to travel around the world, yeah, for their sport, so you know there's always they're not going to be just like living in their hometown their whole life. No, how do you think this works anyway? Yeah, she's going to be the ASP Classic. Have you ever been to the ASP Classic? I have, Yes, I've never been. It looks like a good day.
Speaker 4: It's a really really good time on a hot sunny day there. I mean, I've told you the story before about when I was at the ASP Classic with a well known New Zealand sports presented at really steamed and we were hitting down there and we were in the in the taxi on the way down there and he said, I'm so angry about how people have to be quiet and the you know what, cricket, you don't have to be quiet and he's just got real be bond being his bond. He'd been drinking heavily and there was more drinking down there, and then he started yelling and the in the gaps.
Speaker 3: Oh, and he started.
Speaker 4: Yelling at one of the ball boys was a little fetty instead of a little fat ball boy because he was just trying to yell some stuff out and I'm like backing out of the little area where and the other side of the room.
Speaker 1: So he wanted a bit more vibe. And the thing he went for was it was all the ball boy fat. Yeah, it was unfair, was it Lane? It wasn't Glaye shocking, It wasn't Glane. And and it was just like, I get your point that maybe tennis you.
Speaker 3: Should be able to talk, it should be a bit more vibe. Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: You're not going around You're not going to effect change like that by going after a ball boy.
Speaker 3: No, you know, that's not how you effect change. You're not gonna win and minds and this change in the sport maybe a better let's go Lulu.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but why is it that tennis has to be quiet and other sports don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They are very delicate. It's like anything happens to them in golf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because because I've heard that, like if you're really good at tennis, the sound of the strings Yeah, different in terms whether they're smashing it or they're slicing it or yeah back or whatever, and which is conspiratorially white people for a while ago, Oh to cover.
Speaker 1: The sound of the fuck Yeah, I mean I don't know it could be yeah, but yeah, because tennis seems primed for like a darts type atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you can have such a great atmosphere. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They kind of have a bit more atmosphere Flushing Meadows, don't they.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also at the Australian Open when the Two K's, Curios and Coconnacus were going.
Speaker 3: For it, yeah, they brought in the ref raff. Yeah. Yeah, all the NRL fans started showing.
Speaker 4: Could you start a rival noisy tennis league, like a live live goals.
Speaker 3: It's a party party tennis. You just you just go for it.
Speaker 4: You know, you've got cheerleaders, you've got you've got like pumping music the whole time.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it starts like a black clash type thing where you get you know, famous athletes.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, the Black Clash of tennis. I was thinking about the sports that could do a black clash, the Black Clash of tennis. I mean doubles you got like, yeah, oh my god. And then you'd have a whole, a whole day of tournaments. You've got Kiaran Reed and Steven Donald, Stephen Donald up against Dan Vittori and Lulu Son.
Speaker 3: Should obliterate them. Yeah, I think that's a great idea. The A C C Clash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Black Clash. But it's about bell acs. But I guess you know what's the other sport would go.
Speaker 4: I mean we're bringing rugby and cricket players into the I mean the black clashes Rugby cricket, Like would you bring I think rugby and cricket A yeah, it wouldn't bring like tennis squash that Famington's.
Speaker 3: And devoivs, Dave Dobbin or something. Got Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think the Black Clash of Tennis is a grayerdya Overnight they named the Fourteenth Immortal. There was a lot of conjecture, yeah, certainly on this podcast that it was going to be Cam Smith. It was Ron Coote, who gotta be honest, little before my time, he will be the fourteenth and mortal. How the Rangey Lockforward won four premierships with South Sydney between nineteen sixty seven and seventy one for shifting to Eastern Suburbs and winning two more so a six time competition winner.
Speaker 3: And I guess he was eighty years old. Yeah, I saw the footage of him. Well that's a bit triggering to call him a mortal at eighty years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's probably not far away from dying, to be fair. Yeah, but it also made me think that in my lifetime I probably won't see Cam Smith get immortalized because he's only like forty now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, how much interest do you want on it? Because if it's yeah, if it's interest, I mean, shove Shawney Jay in there right now?
Speaker 3: Oh I think so.
Speaker 1: Stacy Jones, Yeah, Stacy Jones I put across through his own name a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: But you know we're forgiving. Yeah, Benji Marshall get a couple in there. So yeah.
Speaker 1: Ron Coop was the fourteenth mortal that was chucked in there, and the America's Cup team. I was just reading the article with Who's going to be in it this time around. It starts in a couple of weeks in Ernest. You know, obviously they're going to do their regatta, actually starts today prelim. Then the winners of that regatta next one face us. Team has your Burlings, your Chukes, yep, Nathan Outridge, who is the Swiss team driver, all the guys that were down in christ Church, and we're at the sale GP this year.
Speaker 3: The cyclers are back this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the grinders are gone, they're back on the on the cyclers and Hamish Bond is one of those.
Speaker 3: God Hamish Bond, what an incredible career.
Speaker 1: Just pops his head back up totally to do another job for the nation.
Speaker 3: Just got a great set of lungs on him and just just loves the country. Are we still angry about America's Cup? Well?
Speaker 1: No, well, like losing it from our shores. Yeah, I don't think so. It doesn't seem I think we were pretty angry. But yeah, even then it is here, you can't see it, and but Berling and Chuck are such great guys, so yeah, it's hard to be angry about this. But I did think that was a great excuse today as a Thursday. We do a throwback Thursday every Thursday. Last week it was in PC. It's been Super Rugby before that, but I thought this week now it's as good a time as any to throw it back to nineteen ninety five when New Zealand first won the America's Cup. Oh yeah, who was our man? The commentator? Ye Pete Pete Petemont comment pet On commentary. The America's Cup is now New Zealand's Cup.
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety five New Zealand swept all five races to take the Cup away from the US for only the second time.
Speaker 3: One hundred and forty four years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is why, because I was asking Jerry the other day, I was like, why do we give a shit about this? Isn't It was because that I don't really remember the ninety five like I remember it happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah what I was four? But that was the whole red Sock thing, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a lot of that. There was that the loyal loyal was fired up at that point.
Speaker 3: I think Loyle was there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had Dennis kind of walking out on Paul Holmes. Oh yeah, I think it was the very first episode of the Paul Holmes Show, which.
Speaker 3: Is The Seven Sharp Yes of This Time. Yeah, And it was right at.
Speaker 4: The start, and there's an interview with Dennis Connor and they started with the walkout.
Speaker 3: Yes, started with the walkout. Ah yeah, what a way to start a It was huge. We're starting a TV show just a couple of weeks. Yeah, you ready to a walk out?
Speaker 4: What would I have to say to you for you to walk out? I think there's been I think there were some walkouts in the original Game of Call Reggie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I keep trying to call it that as well. Reggie walked out on the Original Thrones Two Thrones Game of Two Thrones. It was when they keept replaying there's that clip that's gone viral over and over again when they're asking his messes about his haircut. Oh yeah, I think it looks really cool. He looks really smart with that haircut. And he goes, and then they just kept replaying that about five times, and then he will looked out. So I think if you dug up footage of me and my missus complimenting me and me go and then played it three or four times, I'd probably walk.
Speaker 4: Out Okay, well, I'll be putting a couple of techs, firing a couple of texts out your way, your household, trolling social media.
Speaker 1: Russell Kurtz and Brad Butterworth were the the skipper and the tactician of our boats, names that have gone on to do so much in sailing. What do you remember from the from the first time New Zealand one America's Cup.
Speaker 3: I remember the loyal part of it, Yeah, robing d Yeah, I mean it's it's it's interesting because I think no was I in Dunedin at that point. Yeah, it's all such a blur. Yeah, I'm not sure. It's all sort of come together. Yeah. My dad's a sailor and what do they sail? And Donner's on the out on the harbor and.
Speaker 4: Then we yeah, yeah and round about he goes some quite a big sort of sailing situations. We always had a trailer sailor, and so I was kind of a little bit angry about yachting really because in sailing, because it was always my dad going yelling at me, you know, to do things like pulling the wrong road, Yeah, pulling the wrong road, and you know, going around, going around about and all that kind of stuff, and so I was kind of negative to sailing for for a long time, you know, like stuff your dad wants you to get into.
Speaker 1: That's why I never joined the army. It spent the first four years of my life. I'm burning a military camp and I was like, fuck, that's for a job and someone might shoot me. So yeah, I'm the same with the sailing.
Speaker 4: I mean, also, I've got a lot of shame for when me and g Lane called the wrong race. We called it that famously called that replay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you commentated an entire race. Yeah, that was a replay. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so we thought we'd run the America's Cap but we were and there was no support from the from our support crew because everyone was on the Gin and Tonics, and so Joe Jury. So we finally like, Joe Jury is the great pist of us, and he holds the whole ac together at together, Yes, but finally commentate this whole race. And then someone tells us that, and then jo Joy goes.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a bit. I thought it was a fourteen minute long, but this was a bit. The best.
Speaker 1: The funniest part about that is that was the first time that Lane ever put some prep into his commentary, and he wrote a whole thing for when they finally crossed.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the most humiliating part.
Speaker 1: And so it's like no good to ever goes unpunished in the ACC. Yeah, because he that was the most if it has ever put in.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is the ACC Almanac box available for people announce the history of the ACC and me and g Lane were instrumental in the creation of that book.
Speaker 4: So we've told a very one sided story of that. Like let's say that's now the record, well, that it was everyone else's fault, not ours, that it was no support, and that everyone was drinking, and that we had and so that's now the official record.
Speaker 3: And really what it was was we were drinking.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone, Yeah, I don't think anyone cares who's fault it was. I think the yeggs you guys commentated a whole replay.
Speaker 3: Jason was the most humiliating part of it.
Speaker 4: As we go, so similar to the relays race on Tuesday, Like it's exactly the same start like and they're like, this is just playing out exactly like Tuesday all the way through and go, oh my god, this is so similar to Tuesday, And at no point do we go it's because the race has been delayed and you're commentating Tuesday's race.
Speaker 3: That was your insight. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now on the official record, it's Joe's jury's fault for not for not calling us morons and turning our microsoft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jason Hoyt's done that a million time replays of work, exact same delivery, right through the same beds.
Speaker 1: Sorry, all right, let's take one more quick break and we'll come back with yours please.
Speaker 2: Yours please, brought you by Leader, just.
Speaker 1: The one of them, but your chance to get involved with the show, give your feedback, and the voice malfunction, which is a little microphone button on the bottom right hand corner your iHeartRadio app goes a little something like this, yours please.
Speaker 2: You're gonna fellows. I'm just you guys should get behind it.
Speaker 4: And the seventy I was just about to call replay thing because I was like that guy always says we have what we've done, We've done the irony of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were just like how he says, that's exactly the same. I think he's exactly the same as he says that there was another one and we'll put it in a post here. Listen to this.
Speaker 5: I'm just thinking about the Wars this weekend, and we heard a lot of people saying, Shawnee j first try, I score a truck, some money on it. But one of the Warriors this smart because everyone's gonna think they're gonna go to Shorty j for a dry set it up to make a little Shorty Joe's going with the try. Then throw it out why to Dell and he does out in the corner, So I'm gonna throw some money off del have a first try score on anyway, funks out Canterbury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 1: He was talking about how it's Sean Johnson's it's Sean Johnson's last game, so everyone's going to be betting on Seawan Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yeah score.
Speaker 1: But his point was that he thinks, why don't they use him as the biggest decoy of all time ah and spin it wide to dw Z and get on dw Z for the first try scorer.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Well what that would mean?
Speaker 4: That would mean the Warriors were complicent in you trying to make some money because it's currently only paying seventeen dollars to be the first try scorer I think at the ta B and you know everyone's going to be you know, if there's an opportunity you were just across the line and you can hold off and give it to George Jay, you're gonna so he can score.
Speaker 1: I think that's where I would disagree with the caller. Yeah, it's like, yeah, that is what everyone's going to be trying to do. Yeah, they aren't going to be trying to.
Speaker 4: The opposite thing is because it's a it's a dead rubber match, that's right.
Speaker 3: So unless you really want to get people's ta B accounts that have yeah on on Rick James Lesniak, then what are we with the it's in complicated.
Speaker 1: The other part of it is so, yeah they're using Sean Johnson as a decoy in the scenario.
Speaker 3: Why is it dw Z that benefits from that. Yeah that seems arbit true. Yeah, yeah it does.
Speaker 4: But I think people will be I think people will be standing over the try line, yeah, between the posts and a bit of a step to avoid any tacklers until Shawny J gets there and then handing them.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: But having said all of that, we do have a tab hunch to put on. And I'm sick of having all of these pinned on me when they don't come in. So I'm going to put one hundred dollars on DWZ to be the first try scorer.
Speaker 3: It's all on you.
Speaker 1: I think his name is Blake has sent this one through. It's all on you, Matte. That's paying ten dollars fifty opt one hundred dollars on. It's going to pay out one thousand dollars. Yeah, I mean emotionally, we don't need.
Speaker 4: It'd be better if he was the last try store scorer, you know, just pour the end of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that would be great, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm completely throwing the old scapegoat thing on Blake. Here, DWZ first try scorer, the agenda hunch. Check it out, ten fifty, ten fifty money for jam. All right, let's knock this thing the head for a Thursday and we'll be back for a Friday episode of the Gender Pod.
Speaker 3: Customer give me a testa keyween.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the ACC's Agenda podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio for of you get your podcast