Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talks at Bay.
Speaker 2: The house is a hole even when it starks, even when the grass is overgrown in.
Speaker 3: The yard, even when.
Speaker 4: The dog is too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to stop.
Speaker 3: Scissor hole, even when we are band gone, even when you're there alone, the house sizor hole, even when those ghost even when.
Speaker 4: You got around from the world you love.
Speaker 2: Your most stream, those broken plaints, feeling fund the world, locals visible when they're gone and leaving neighbor.
Speaker 5: The house is.
Speaker 2: Even when wilber Ben lone, even when you're newlone is well.
Speaker 6: A very very good morning and a very happy Easter Sunday to you as well. Yesterday is Easter Sunday. It makes it a regular Sunday, It makes it a very special Sunday as well. So delighted to be with you this Sunday morning here at Newstalk seid B. Good morning. My name's Pete wolf Camp, the Resident Builder, and this is the Resident Builder on Sunday. A show an opportunity, a program to that presents us with an opportunity to talk all things building and construction. So if you've got a project that's underway, and well, I was going to say over the Easter break, so you know, if you're in paid employment and you get holiday pay. I say that because I'm not in that position. But if you are, and you've managed to take the right days off, suddenly you've been able to stretch out a couple of days leave into a significant number of days leave. Given that this coming Friday is of course Anzac Day, Easter Monday is also a public holiday, and with that in mind, you may have decided, rather than heading for the hills, to actually get a project done at home. And if that's the case, and you'd like to talk about it, whether you're you know, you could be wallpapering, you could be painting, you could be trying to finish a project outside in preparation for the weather. Well, if you didn't quite get that finished, then certainly the weather got a bit of a testing or whatever you tried to do got a bit of testing out. I say that because that was exactly the situation that I happened to be in this week where I made the confession. If we're talking biblical, I made the confession last week that after the show on Sunday, I was going to go home, spend a bit of time chanting and catching up with the family, and then I was going to fire up the sand and I didn't feel great about that. I'm not actually a huge fan of making too much noise on a Sunday, but in this particular instance, I had a program and I needed to do the sanding of the filler on Sunday in order to do some spot priming, in order to do another code of priming on the Monday, in order to get a first coat of paint done on Monday afternoon, in order to get a top coat done on Tuesday, because I knew the weather was packing on Wednesday, and surprisingly the weather was wonderfully compliant. I also had another little job, which was a war proofing job that I need to get done as well, but it's a separate story. So anyway, went home Sunday did the sanding, deeply relieved. But the fact that both of my neighbors opted to mow their lawns at exactly the same time, so I don't think anyone was upset by the fact that I was using a little cordless random orbital sander to stand about six hundred and seventy screw holes down on the decking anyway, got that done, got the primer done, got the top coat done, got the razine paint onto the deck and job done. And it standed up or stood up remarkably well when the wind and the rain and the thunderstorms and the lightning, not that it got hit by lightning arrived over the last couple of days. So if you've got a project and it's going well, we can talk about it. If you've got a project that's kind of stuttering and halting and maybe not going as smoothly as you hope, we can talk about that as well. Or if it's just the wheels have fallen off and the whole thing's crashing to earth like a lead balloon, talk about that as well. So if you've got a project that you would like to talk about, or a challenge that you might have with regard to building, let's talk all things building, construction, the rules, the regulations, the people involved. And i'll tell you what this bit of a special thing coming up a bit later on the show, over some time ago, and I'll try and sort of put this in context.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It might have been two three months ago. We had a caller call in and she talked about a project that she was doing, and it was a reasonably large one. It was an extension alteration to an existing property. So there's going to be walls removed, there's going to be sections of roof removed, there's going to be any number of contractors coming in to do work. And in discussion with her main contractor, they put forward the idea that they would go out and seek or get contract works insurance, which might have an excess of say five thousand dollars, and in the event that she was that they needed to claim on that, she would agree to pay the access. Anyway, it got us into an interesting discussion around insurance and what types of insurance you need for building work and renovations and alterations, and when do you need to talk to your insurer. And it's taken me a little while, but I managed to find an expert on this and we're going to have that conversation just after eight o'clock this morning. So it's very specific. It's very specifically about building types of insurances, about public liability, about contract works insurance, about who needs to get insurance about overlaps and insurance that sort of thing very much in a building context, but it should only be seen as general advice. All insurers are different and all situations are going to be different, so hopefully it'll bring you some good ideas. Certainly, I've enjoyed the conversations I've had so far, and we'll be talking a little bit about insurance after the eighty clock news. It as always, is fired up and ready to go from eight point thirty this morning, and this morning, because it is Easter, there will be no commercial breaks, so we've got plenty of time to sort of stretch our legs, really get into the nitty gritty of your conversations, your questions, your challenges, your conundrums. So bring it on. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Like I say, it is East Sunday. It's commercial free for New Zealand broadcasters, whether that's TV or radio, and so we've got lots of time to take your calls this morning. You can text, of course, that is nine two nine two or ZBZB from your mobile phone. If you'd like to send me an email, you're more than welcome to do that as well. It is Pete at NEWSTALKZB dot co dot nz. But as we come up to thirteen minutes after six, the lines are open the number to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty. We won't be dashing to commercial breaks during the show. That's not how it works on Easter Sunday. I say Good Friday because I happened to come in here and do this time slot on Good Friday morning as well, which was a bit of a delight, a bit of surprise. I knew that I was doing it, but it was still nice to be invited to come in and do Good Friday Morning here at news Talk se'd B. But now it's sort of regular transmission has resumed. We're back into talking building construction tools now. We had actually just a bit of an update as well. Last week on the program, we spoke with a woman who had some of her late husband's tools, and they were older tools. She had been specifically instructed by him prior to his departure that if she was just dumping them down at the local op shop, he would come back and haunt her. So she was looking for somewhere for those tools to go where they could be respected, I guess, and where they could be used, and we've had a number of people who were helpful in that situation. I happened to make it off the cuff from about finding an old tool at home that I've had for a number of years and that I used the other day. And this is the thing with old tools. Sometimes they're nice to look at, but sometimes they're actually really really lovely to use. And I did exactly that when I was rushing around not yesterday but last Saturday to get a job done, and did make it off the cuff remark about, oh, well, you know, I had a look online to see exactly what the proper name for this tool is and the brand. So it's a Carter's rebate plane, number seventy eight. And then I found a website that had not just Carter seventy eight rebate planes for sale as antiques or as vintage tools, but a whole number of other ones. And I thought, oh, that's a very beautiful French chair maker's plane with a curved surface on it so that you can plane through curves, obviously, and I said, oh, that would be nice to have. That doesn't mean that I'm in the hunt for lots and lots of tools. We got a number of email during the week, people offering to sell me their tools. Tempted as I am. I need to show some restraint around continuing to purchase more and more tools. Whether or not I'm successful with that restraint remains to be seen, but we'll see how we go. I have been quite restrained over lent, so I'm doing okay. It is sixteen minutes after six. The lines are open, lovely to hear from you. It is an ad free day, so you give me a call because that'll make the whole day go a lot faster. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call. It is sixteen and a half minutes after six people wolf camp with you. Lines are open, texts are working, emails up and running. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Advice from Peter Wolfcare, the resident builder on news Talks mb.
Speaker 6: Writy ode. Let's get into it. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call. Plenty to talk about one of the other things that's coming up in a couple of week's time. Will be an opportunity to have a decent in depth discussion with the Minister for Building and construction. That, of course is Chris Penk. He was on the show a couple of weeks ago just talking about a couple of very specific things, one around the possibility that we will be able to build up to sixty square meters without necessarily requiring a building consent, and the other thing around sort of tightening up some rules for how would you put it, basically disciplining bad performers in the building sector. So if you're an LBP and you do work that is below par, they're going to speed up or enhance the disciplinary process at the moment. Typically, what happens is it takes quite a long time for these things to be investigated because the disciplinary board, my impression is that they take it obviously quite seriously. They do a suitable investigation of the claims that are made against an LBP, then they go through the investigation process, the interview process, and then they announce a decision after that. But it does take a little bit of time. And while it's not a criticism of the board, there is that notion that justice delayed is justice denied. So if you happen to be in a dispute with your LBP about the nature of their work, and it takes twelve months to resolve that through that system, that's not necessarily getting things done quickly. And in that twelve months, that particular LBP could be off doing a whole bunch of shoddy work with a whole lot of other clients, and that's not helpful. The whole point of the as I say it, of the disciplinary board is to allow anyone who's about to contract an LBP to be able to see what their record is. Now, when you go online and have a look for LBPS, you'll see a little bit of information, not a great deal, to be fair, and certainly there's no reference in the LBP scheme to you know how good they are or what their experience is. What does come up on the LBP register is have they had their license laps or have they been subject to a disciplinary hearing. You can also just do a quick search for LBP Disciplinary Board findings and find all of the hearings. And I happened to go down that particular rabbit hole there some time ago, and it was actually quite fascinating to see the nature of the disputes, the way in which it was resolved, and what the outcomes were. And they were all quite detailed forms. You know, this type of work was undertaken, it was found to be below standard for these reasons, and here is the outcome. Now, if you happen to be an LBP and your subject to one of those investigations, that will actually stay on your record for a period of time and it will be there in the public for a period of time as well. So should that be faster? Yeah, it probably should, I think to be blood. So it'd be interesting to see whether that does speed things up and whether that changes things as well your news talks. He'd be right. Let's can we take a call Isaiah? Isaiah? Hello, producer, he's chatting away. Oh eight hundred and eighty teen eighty is that number to call if you've got a question. Let's can we take a call? Yep? Okay, cool Ohen, good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 6: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 7: And thank you for coming on Easter?
Speaker 6: Quite a right, nice to be here.
Speaker 7: And enter your recent work with picture the other morning too good for Yes, yes, we appreciate it. Hey, I liked what you were saying about the young old BUILDO passed away? Anyone whose tools going into some good hands. Yes, a nice burd of things and not as magnanimously as him, but you know, sort of got that same sort of attitude to things. I'm not sure ra to see things get into good hands and just get junked or misused. And I've got a thing which is as much a question as a as an offer, but it might it might be something to tell me. I need to call back later on, but in case it was something that appealed to you or someone else who was listening, I've got to put a sporum tree here. I don't know the exact one. I can give more of a description of the leaves if people can figure out what it was. But it grew to it. It has grown to a height of about, you know, more or less, sort of six meters five or six meters tall, but had grown in a curved shape because it grew from under a deck, curved out around, and I put a rub strip along there so that it wouldn't have them a deck too much. As it grew up, and the wind blew in that, and it's recently seems to have passed away. All the leaves have died anyway because of drought conditions. And I realized it was going on water coming down instead of they're considered sort of all slope above us and instead and watering its roots from below the below the deck. And before we realized what had happened and able the leaves had died and everything because it simply wasn't getting its normal watering, natural watering. Now what I wondered is for the pittosporum, I think tenurefolium. It's growing in this beautiful curve out under the deck. It's about a more or less about one hundred diameter, it might be a little bit more of it less, and a curve over about a one point two meters length. And it's always reminded me a bit of what the people used to do for boat builders. They would grow trees and stress and you know, like tigs, straps or whatever to them and state them down to get in the grade of the curve they wanted for building certain parts of boats. And I thought, well, this I could either cut it off, shorter water it it was getting water now numb, and to see if it grows back or not. But I was in the mind of to cut it down and give it to somebody who might want to use it for some sort of a project or crafty sort of thing, it seemed like a waste to shift.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Look, I do get the sentiment that you're where you're coming from in terms of the intent, because yeah, you're right in terms of either older boat building styles, even in terms of furniture. You know, crafts people, craftsmen will look for those particular types of trees and then select them. I just wonder whether in terms of what you've got, because it's a pito and they're not the quality of the timber is not particularly great, and I've cut down a whole heap of them, I'm not sure that using it for furniture making or anything like that is it's going to be that desirable, you know, if you had a Yeah, again, I don't know that it'd be a great timber to carve with either. Yeah, you know, firewood maybe, but furniture possible answer, Oh absolutely, Yeah, we're not. It's going to say beating around the bush. That'll be a terrible pun to throw in there. But I've done it. Now I've done it, it's out in the open.
Speaker 8: I can take it back.
Speaker 6: Lovely to talk to you, and you have a great day and take care. Oh eight hundred and eighty. Ten eighty is the number to call. It's twenty four and a half and it's after six Caroline, good morning.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, good morning, Pete. I'm just got a very interesting question. Rather than doing a major.
Speaker 9: Extension, which I believe takes a lot of the effort and it is very costly, I was considering just getting a cabin, yes, as as a room and building a sort of a over sort of a canopy from the house to it.
Speaker 8: It was kind of a natural addition, so to speak. Yes, And I have been looking at quite a lot of cabins and it's really really confusing because three meters doesn't seem very wide as a living space, and they seem to cram quite a lot into these. I mean, the expensive ones are one hundred thousand dollars, which is, you know, ten meters by three meters as opposed to a smaller four meters by three meters or five meters by three meters for about fifteen to twenty thousand. But one of the cabin builders said that the cabins on wheels were brought built in accordance with the vehicle code and are not compliance with the building code, and that got me a little bit concerned. What exactly does that mean?
Speaker 6: Okay, that's a very very good quie. So gosh, I'm hoping that I can unpack this reasonably concisely, but I probably can't because it does get quite complicated quite quickly. So I think we need to take a couple of steps back and go. You know, ten fifteen years ago, the idea of tiny home sort of emerged, right, and from my point of view, I kind of look at it and go, I think a lot of it's been driven by to some degree, social media and overseas influence. Right. So you know, we watch programs from the States where tiny home living and someone's got this magnificent field in Iowa and they rot, they decide for the simple life, and they pick up this massive trailer and they back it in there and they build it or it's already got a house built on it, and there they are with their five children, living in twenty square meters and they're going, we love this. And I'm looking at those programs going and that just seems like a respect for disaster. But anyway, out of that sort of imagery, to some degree, we've got this idea of the tiny homesmooth. There's also a really practical point of view, which is housing affordability has driven us to look for new solutions in terms of housing. Lots of people have come to recognize that, in fact, I don't need all of the space, right, Do I really need four bedrooms if it's just me? Do I need three and a half bathrooms if it's just me? Et cetera, et cetera. So the idea of having compact living makes a lot of sense. However, you know, then you run into Okay, if it's a habitable space, ie it's designed to live in, then it needs to comply with the building code, And the building code isn't particularly good at describing small properties, and so suddenly what was affordable becomes less affordable because you have to comply with the code. And I think some people have looked to tiny homes and transportable homes as a way of going Actually, it's not a how it's a house on a trailer, which makes it a vehicle. Therefore I don't need to get a code of compliance for it. And then we got into this thing where trailers and wheels on it and all the rest of it, and whoever you've been talking to, and I've had similar discussions with people in this space have made the same comment that okay, let's say you opt to kind of circumvent the building regulations by getting a structure which is on wheels, and then if anyone asks you, did you get a building code for that, you go, no, I don't need one because it's on wheels, it's transportable. The next question they should ask is when are you going to take it in for a war on a fitness? And you go, well, hang on, I've added a deck, and I've planted around it, and I've ripped up the driveway. I can't take this in for a war on a fitness. Then you go, okay, So now you've got a vehicle that should have a war on a fitness which you can't get one. You're now breaking another set of rules. So that's kind of a sorry, a slightly long winded way of saying this is where we're at. And I think the other challenge that we have for the tiny home movement in general is you still need some land to put it on, and you know no one wants to sell you a sixty or seventy square meter plot of land or it's very rare, right, So you end up having to either have a less arrangement or just an informal arrangement with someone who happens to have a larger property that can accommodate that. And again, I've got people that I know who are in exactly that situation. They've got a friend who's got some land, They've built a property, they've moved it on to there, and the friend has said, you can stay here for the rest of your life. Now, maybe that'll happen, maybe it won't, because all of our lives change and circumstances change. So that's another challenge, for want of a better term, the tiny home movement. I think what the government is looking at doing is going, okay, if we want to provide some solutions to housing affordability, do we Because, to be absolutely blunt, my perspective is government can't control the building can sense authorities. Because the building can central authorities end up taking responsibility for the buildings. They risk averse and so they add lots of compliance to minimize their risk. Perfectly logical, perfectly understandable, and it's all driven by joined in several liability. So government's looking for what's a solution. Let's make low risk buildings, single story, relatively compact, but having to comply with needs to comply with the building code and it needs to comply with planning legislation. Now, once you get into that, you run into all of these compliance hurdles that people don't expect when you first look at it. So that's part of the challenge. Then you go, Okay, if someone's building something and it has to be to the building code, but they don't have a building consent for it, how can they prove that it's building code compliant? And so organizations like the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveys and a number of others are saying, look, from our point of view, because we work in the space all of the time, we're not convinced they probably use stronger language than that. We're not convinced that LBPS, certainly di wires could build a building and make it code compliant without having a set of plans and without having some oversight, So that that unpacks a whole other set of problems.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: How you know, if I was asked to build a fifty square meter building with a shower and a kitchen and some bedrooms. Could I build that without having a plan? Possibly? And could I make it to the building code? Is my you know, and it's a challenge to me. Could I build it and make sure that it's absolutely compliant to the building Code? I'd say I'd be pretty damn close. But I might miss something right, There might be some small change to the building code that I hadn't read about or wasn't informed about. And so I could, with the best will in the world and the best well, hopefully a reasonable amount of knowledge, I could build a building. But do I know that it's code compliant? And how do I know? And what assurance can I offer to a client that this building meets the requirements of the New Zealand Building Code. So that's another problem. My short answer to all of this is and I wonder whether this is something that the government might need to look at, right, And I'm certainly happy to put it to Chris penk Is the types of buildings that they're discussing at the moment, that you could build up to sixty square meters, which is not an insignificant building right without necessarily getting a building consent and without going well, you have to go to council to inform council, but council won't be the people checking the compliance. I wonder whether that those types of buildings, the short pathway would be to say, registered and approved manufacturers off site manufacturing, they can do them and that's your quick pathway to compliance because typically those sorts of organizations have quality control, they've got standardized designs, they've got sort of a methodology for building, which allows them to replicate what they're doing over and over again. You know, if you go to some of these factories and there's a unit moving out the door every day, chances are they know what they're doing. Right. The thought of somebody backing down your driveway with a trailer load of four two on the you know, a trailer loaded up with four two and they start cutting frames maybe a little bit less so so that I'm wondering whether if they were looking for a short and sweet answer, that'd be the way to go. That existing or new manufacturers who can prove their methodology, who can prove that they've got a pathway to compliance, who could be audited right, and who are replicating things, maybe they're the ones that you go you can supply them because I've been in those factories, right, and I've seen the level of detail and the planning and the methodology and all the rest of it. You know, if you're pumping out literally hundreds of small dwellings a year, then you've got your processes in place. If again, I'll use myself as an example, if someone rang and said, or if I decided I wanted to do in a backyard, right, I'm going to build a sixty square meter dwelling and I'm going to do it. Would I do it without a set of plans? I probably wouldn't. I think I'd probably end up going to a designer and getting a plan, because then it helps with pricing and with getting quotes and that sort of thing. It's really hard to go to a window manufacturer and say, here's my window schedule. If you don't have a set of plans, you can do it. You can build it and then get them to come out and measure it and so on. But there's an efficiency to having a set of plans. But you can see how you know, and again, I guess, all this is the thing, you know, And this is where I have some sympathy government. They're all in a position where they're looking for quick, simple fixes. There aren't any, right, They're just really not there. These things get really complicated really quickly. So but sorry to lecture you on these sorts of things. It's something I'm really interested, and you know, I love having these conversations with people about it, and I actually think the idea of loosening up regulation to allow granny flats has the potential to be I don't know if it'll move the dial a lot, but it's I'm an optimist and I get a sense that it's a step in the right direction. And I tell you what. Another conversation I had this week was with some people involved in proper management and rentals. The whole thing around will you be able to rent one out to someone who's not a family member. That hasn't even been discussed, because again we have to understand what the history is behind granny flats and so literally it does what it says on the tin right. The idea behind them, as I understand it, is that you had a plot of land, you had the family home. Over time, perhaps you know the people that built the home decided that well, actually we don't need all the space the kids have moved out, and in fact maybe the kids would like to come back in with their young family. We'd like to stay close. How about we move into a little dwelling in the backyard. Right, that's as I understand it, that's the theory behind it. In which case it's family, right, it's not rent. Now as soon as it becomes someone who's not family and they're occupying it and potentially they're paying the owner of the original property some money and rent, then the building needs to comply with Healthy home standards for a start. Absolutely, buildings that are built to the Building Code don't necessarily comply with the Healthy Home standard. I want the hell exactly well. And without going into this a lot, the simple thing about that is in the New Zealand Building Code right now you can build a brand new house and you don't have to put in heating all right, So New Zealand houses to comply with the Building Code do not need heating. The one thing that's very important with the Healthy Home standard is you must provide a fixed form of heating and a living space that allows you to get that to eighteen degrees and you have to prove that it can do that, which is the heating standard. So you build a brand new sixty square meter dwelling in your backyard, you decide to rent it out, and the first thing that happens is someone does a healthy homes assessment goes, no heating, can't rent it. Look I I you know I wouldn't. I can see the challenges in being a legislator. So but and you know even what you're talking about in your instance right where you could potentially do some work on your property to expand it. But an alternative is to go, why don't I get an off site manufactured minor dwelling added to space in the backyard, And then I'll connect the two. So the first thing that jumps to mind is the building needs to be the height of the building away from your existing house. So you can't put it a meter away from your house and have a little awning that gives you some shelter. If the building's going to be two point four plus the foundation, so three probably three point two meters, it's got to be three point two meters away from your existing building. Why because that's the rules around minor dwellings, right, So they have to be the height of the building away from the boundary or proximity to an existing dwelling.
Speaker 8: That's the height of the cabin or.
Speaker 6: The height of the cabin. Yes, ah, yeah, so that's there.
Speaker 8: The cans are quite small.
Speaker 6: Often that's why they're quite small. The other thing is often when you really look at it, they're in the wrong place. And I could go straight to a property today and find a cabin sleep out that's been added to the back of a property that's in the wrong place. Right, it's too close to the boundary. Oh and I reckon, I don't know, eighty percent will probably end up in the wrong.
Speaker 8: Place, but that those cabins have the ability to be moved if the neighbor.
Speaker 6: Possibly possibly Yeah, hey, look it's it's a.
Speaker 8: What a mine field exactly.
Speaker 6: And I don't want to put you off, but I think unfortunately you know no, But in these situations like we're you know it, it's easy. Again, I'm respectful of government, right, so I know they're heading in the right direction. And and but I think that once you make an announcement like this, we're going to make it easier to build sixty square meters. And then people that know go, hang on, what about dot dot dot dot dot dot dot, and and then suddenly we're into a much bigger discussion.
Speaker 8: So just to clarify, the Council has the by law or regulate the building of and sets all the regulations about how something should be built.
Speaker 4: Homes, Yes, go on.
Speaker 8: The Healthy Homes is a government initiative.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's administered through Tendency Services right.
Speaker 10: And the builders.
Speaker 8: There there LV, but they're licensed.
Speaker 6: The Licensed Building Practitioner scheme is administered through inmby basically another.
Speaker 8: Government's part three competing organizations. When it comes to considering how we're going to put together these these alternative accommodation and exactly, I myself would much prefer to see properties with a grainy slat on it as opposed to, oh, we can't afford to live here any longer, so let's sell it to a developer who'll put five townhouses. And some of them have been have been absolutely a disaster to look at. And I just you know, especially in the nicer areas, lovely granny fat and lovely manicured garden is the way to go.
Speaker 6: If you ask me, I would probably disagree with you that I think that we that I think intensification is necessary in urban environments. I think it should be well done. You know, there's there's nothing more painful than looking at a poorly, poorly executed building.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 6: So there are some developments which are terrible. One of I was in christ Church a couple of weeks ago, and one of the things that struck me just being in the inner city, right in the CBD, was the sort of the pepper potting of what I thought were really attractive residential developments, you know, medium density, three stories, quite compact, but they were right in the city, and the ones that I saw were really attractive, and I think that's a really good model for development, you know, allowing developers to find a section down the end of a right of way, twenty minute walk from a bus stop and pull off an old house and wack on six townhouses. I think that's not good development, right, That doesn't make sense. So I think that's what you're saying. But I'm saying that if we do it well, I think it's great. I've loved talking with you. Happy Easter to you. Thank you very much, and hopefully we'll talk again. You take care, see then bye way your news talks CDB. We're talking all things building construction, and I as I do, apologize for the kind of lecture or exegesis on tiny holmes, but I find it it's a fascinating discussion at the moment, and from my point of view, I think it's what's that phrase, The devil is always in the detail?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 6: So you know we I suppose government is all governments, regardless of their stripe, want to make bold statements going I've found the solution, and typically when they do, it gets unpicked by the detail. And I think this government finds itself in a similar situation where this is what we want to do, but then we're running into all of these these layers upon layers of complexity. Is there a way around it? Well, we'll find out this morning on the show, won't we six forty three or almost six forty four? Here a new sort seed B. Well, thanks for holding and good morning.
Speaker 13: Good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Very well, thanks Will.
Speaker 14: I'm just going to my radio, go for it.
Speaker 15: Is there, yeah, go go yeah.
Speaker 16: I live in an old woolshed, right, yes.
Speaker 2: S.
Speaker 16: And my garage door is broken down and that's actually broken completely and I can't seem to find a replacement because it's maybe built in sixties or seventies, yep, And I was just wondering do you have any suggestions.
Speaker 6: On a replacement or when you say, you know, like the shed door, is it a sliding door, is it a tilted door, Is it sort of an opening door that's on hinges.
Speaker 7: No, it's a rolling door.
Speaker 6: It's a roller door. Look, roller doors are still around. I price some up just the other day. So what you might find is that the hardware isn't suitable, let's say, just to replace like for like, so the actual for one of them or the roller Often what you'll have is you've got the door jam trimmed out on the inside. You'll have a U channel that the door slides down in at the top of that, some great big, hefty L brackets that are bolted into the framing, and then the axle of the roller door sits on top of that. So often they can be you could get one made to exactly the right size, or it might be cheaper to have one buy one that's around the same size, and then you just have to adjust the fittings for it as well. But certainly roller doors are common. They're still common, so they're out there.
Speaker 16: I'd looked on trade men. I couldn't find anything much.
Speaker 6: A yeah, but then you're trying to find something at secondhand or something like that, and maybe you just need to be patient, but certainly if you wanted to go. Actually I did it, not that long ago, but not recently either, where a couple of existing sheds from the nineteen seventies garages had doors that were kind of on a track system. And it's all getting a bit clumbersome. So I got some guys in that I know, and they priced up replacement roller doors, no trouble at all to an existing opening, so and they weren't terribly expensive, but they were only small, single ones. So if yours is taller or wider, it will get expensive. Can I ask you a question you can not to answer this? The wool shed that you're living in. Is that you're own dwelling or do you rent it from someone?
Speaker 7: It's on my family phone?
Speaker 6: Okay, perfect, all right, No, No, I just you know, given the long discussion we had with Caroline just before around you know, compliance and healthy homes legislation and all the rest of it, I'm just intrigued by your own circumstance in terms of you know, do you pay rent on that, do you own it? Who's Because every now and then you see these stories where counsel decide that they don't like the fact that someone's living in an old building, and so they'll issue them with a notice to fix and then if they don't fix it, they'll come and forcibly evict people and those sorts of things. So I was just intrigued when you said you lived in a woolshed, because, with the greatest respect to the woolshed, I'm sure it's not Healthy Homes compliant, nor would it be anywhere close to the building code.
Speaker 7: But no, I think that is.
Speaker 16: We considered it right too flats years ago.
Speaker 6: So it's lined on the inside and it's got proper flooring and it's not gapped, and okay, awesome, awesome, But look in terms of the roller door. In terms of the roller door, you might have to go for a new one and someone could come out measure the width and the drop and make your door that will simply slot in. So I think you will find one. It's probably not that many manufacturers roller doors in a new build. I don't think I've seen one go into a new build for quite a while, but they're still around without a doubt. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 4: News Talk said, be extra.
Speaker 17: It's the age old problem with consultation. You see it with cycle ways and councils. And I've spoken about this before because it's a pet peeve of mind. But only those people who really love to get on a bike bother to turn up and make an oral submission. Everyone else is too busy and stuck in traffic getting to work. So the fact this bill has failed doesn't mean it will fail if put to the public. The biggest issue here for Seymour I reckon is timing. The treaty question isn't question is an existential one. It's a largely theoretical one. Trying to have this debate during the worst recession in thirty years and coming off the back of sky high inflation. It's just bad timing. People want their government talking about mortgage rates, not race. One day, the time might come, the moment might be right and we can afford to confront this issue, which given the number of submission, clearly has a fair whack of us rather excess.
Speaker 4: Sorry that was a news Talk Zibby Extra News Talk Extra.
Speaker 5: What am I going to do it at that blowply, I'll do it live hold your horses to bring the microphone round.
Speaker 6: Nothing better than that.
Speaker 5: It's coming around.
Speaker 6: I'll talk you through at the blowfly.
Speaker 3: Expect.
Speaker 5: I've got quite a long me on the microphone. So I've spun the angle poised microphone right round. So now I'm going to open the door and I'm gonna switch the light off in one foul move. Okay, this is the light switch going off.
Speaker 11: Lights off.
Speaker 18: I've opened the door.
Speaker 6: Out you get, mate, Yeah, yo, out you get I'll throw something. I'll throw something near it.
Speaker 5: Actually get mate, Come on, i'ven't got time to really Denny with you for a show in the glass window.
Speaker 6: Actually get toy.
Speaker 4: That was a news talk zby Extra.
Speaker 6: Right own News Talk SB ten minutes away from seven oh quick text two quick sexts. To be fair regarding Chris Pink, politicians are usually well healed and consequently look out for business, not the little guy. We've had leaky buildings and now poorly built apartments, robbing people of their homes but leaving them with huge mortgages. Please ask the minister what safeguards will be in place for neighbors and subsequent purchases who don't have I'm just reading the text out his deep pockets to research and litigate. Regards from Owen. I don't know that that's completely true of politicians, but I'm happy to put that question forward. And Andrea texts, how come a minor dwelling has to be its height away from the boundary. However a developer can put in multiple story buildings right up onto the boundary. It's because the developer has gone and got planning permission and building consent. Right, So all of this talk around mind and dwellings not necessarily requiring building consent, then potter in a series of safeguards around that. And as I understand it, or my interpretation of it, is, if you allow someone to build a building without a building consent, and then you're reliant on their skill ability technical knowledge to ensure that it doesn't fall over. So a really simple safety method is to ensure that if it does fall over, it's not going to fall on anything anybody else's property, Hence moving it the height of the building away from the boundary. If it falls over, it's still going to be on your property. That's where I think that legislation comes from. All that planning regulation comes from Steve. Good morning to you.
Speaker 19: Yeah, good morning Hull, very well.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 14: Hey.
Speaker 19: I've just got a car forward at my place and i'd like to I like to tear it down because it's become like a bit of a liability. It was built back in the seventies and it's just yeah, falling over it's going on today. So I want to want to replace it. But I'm in the convenient position of being a fit of welder so I can.
Speaker 14: Actually do it.
Speaker 19: Whereas you know, modern modern yes practices and using steel. Do I need to get consent to change the design that much?
Speaker 6: It's it's an it could let's err on the side of let's have a go, right. So if it's there, and it might be, did it get a building consent in the first place?
Speaker 12: Do you know?
Speaker 6: Probably not a I had a.
Speaker 19: Bit of a look around on e docs and there's nothing about the design of the car work, just as it says it has a car work.
Speaker 6: Okay, and its location is plotted on a on a site plant that shows its location. Not even that okay, all right, Look I how big is it? Roughly?
Speaker 19: It would be keen by five.
Speaker 6: Okay, so fifty square meters. So right now, the legislation allows you to build a carport of up to I think it's forty square meters without necessarily requiring a building consent. But then it triggers all of those other rules, like it needs to be the height of the building away from the boundary or an adjacent property or adjacent dwelling. So in your situation, I suspect that if it's let's say three meters high, it's probably not three meters from the boundary.
Speaker 19: No, it's two hundred mile from the boundary.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, So even if you were to the only way that you could possibly do it and kind of stay on the right side of the law is if you said it's repairs and maintenance, I e. It's like for like, I'm going to keep it the same size and the same location, but over a period of time, I'm going to change the post, Then I'm going to change the beam, Then I'm going to change the perlin, then I'm going to change the roofing, and effectively you rebuild it in the same location. I think you would have an argument to say it's basically repairs and maintenance. If you knock it down completely all in one go and rebuild it, technically you should have a building consent because of its proximity to the boundary A right. Yeah, And I hope people don't get the impression that somehow I think that, you know, getting a building consent is not worthwhile. I actually think that, And this is part of this discussion. It was about the tiny homes, it's about non buildings that don't necessarily need consent. Is that you know, you might find that if you have some plans drawn and submitted to counsel and then they go on to the property record, that you could consider the cost of that an investment in the value of your property because you're able to say to a prospective purchaser in the future, here's an assurance that this building work is compliant because I got a building code and I got a final inspection and I got a CCC for it at the end of it. So I think we do need to I think we do need to recognize there is a real value in having a building consent and a building code. But it is an investment, right, or it's a cost if you're looking at it negatively. It's an investment if you're trying to be a little bit positive about it. But I think for what you want to build, I admire the fact that you're prepared to be reasonable about it, knock it down before it falls down. But I think that from a technical point of view, it does require a building consent.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I guess the concern would be like, if I get consent, then they're going to want engineering, And if they want engineering, they're going to look at what's in the block and being built into guarantees. Is a good chance not all the blocks were.
Speaker 6: Filled, and so in that case, if you've got an existing block wall on the boundary, you know, and then it's an open structure from there.
Speaker 19: Where it's attached to the house currently.
Speaker 6: Right, Okay, Look, I would off the record just between you and I would probably look at it as repairs and maintenance. I'd leave the block wall in place, I'd replace whatever structures are unsound and do that as repairs and maintenance.
Speaker 19: Yeah, right, that makes sense.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: All the best is Stephen, Thanks again for waiting, really appreciate it. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number. Call John, quick question from you before the break. How are you John?
Speaker 12: Good?
Speaker 20: Thanks?
Speaker 12: My question is about the margin builders can charge on subcontractors.
Speaker 6: Quest you know there's no rules.
Speaker 14: Okay, Well, why.
Speaker 12: Do they get to charge a margin anyway? Because they're being paid for supervision, so why should they be part of charge a margin on the RUFA?
Speaker 6: And because in the contract that you've got with them, that's part of their contract and you've agreed to it. So if you don't agree to it, then find a contractor who doesn't charge margin. Right, Okay, So, and I'm not being flippant. I'm just saying that, you know, to the best of my knowledge, there are actually no specific rules around it. It's become common practice. There's a good rationale behind it. You know, if they are administering all of the contracts and they're responsible for the timing and so on, then I guess as a way of being reimbursed for that time, they could charge a margin. Now I think your argument is that, hang on, I'm already paying them to run the job. Why do I then need to add a margin? But for example, if they're responsible for paying the person, they are responsible for paying them even if you don't get paid, right, So if you decide not to pay your main contractor. But the roofer has a contract with your builder to do the roofing. Your builders on the hook for the work. Right, So that's a way of covering their risk.
Speaker 12: Yeah, okay, so way around there. So I'll pay the roofer directly.
Speaker 6: You could do that. That's one way of doing it. The other way of doing it is that you say, well, look, i'll run those people. And I've I haven't done a lot of work with clients who do that, but I know people who do. But then I'm very strong on this in the sense that I think if you, as the owner of the property, decide that you're going to do more of the project management, and I turn up one day as the builder and you haven't got the materials or you've got the wrong materials, I'm going to charge you for my time regardless, and you're going to go. But hang on, you you can't do any work. I can't do any work because you're not organized. So if you want to take on that risk, have a go. But you know it's it's a significant risk. No right, looks it's just in the it's whatever you contract with. There are no rules, right, as best I understand it. So it's whatever you contract And so.
Speaker 19: What's a range.
Speaker 12: What's a reasonable range?
Speaker 6: Oh, look, I think most commonly, I think it's around the twelve the ten to twelve fifteen percent, right, I think much more than that, and you'd probably want to question it. You know, potentially it could be less than that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, again, less less on on things that you know are going to go out, like a groof where the guy is not going to do the work, he's just going to supervise it or you know, make sure it works with the rest of the building. So what would seven and a half or seven percent be reasonable on that?
Speaker 6: It's whatever you negotiate. I tend to stay away from discussions around margins and rates and those sorts of things only because in the end, it's always individual, that's what it is. So it's you need to sit down and have a really honest discussion in the same way you know, marginal materials. If you're a really good payer, for example, then maybe your contractor will accept a slightly lower margin. Take care buddy, okay, maybe called pop Right, Yes, it's an unusual kind of day, it's a special day, it's East Sunday, and it's also an ad free day, So the way we run the program is slightly different, So my apologies for the occasional heck up there Radio eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, Good morning, welcome along to the show. My name is Pete wolf Camp, the Resident Builder, and this is a program all about building and construction. And I feel slightly embarrassed by the length of my explanation around the tiny home things and all of the myriad complexity that comes along with it. But yeah, I think it's I guess we've got to talk about it because that complexity exists. Right, So the idea I think the government arguably heading in the right direction. Lots of criticism from the industry are within the sector. Different parts of the sector going, allowing buildings up to sixty square meters, I think is what they're talking about, to be built without a building consent has the potential for some level of disaster, right, that's part of the sector. Another part of the sector might go, hey, it's about time that you know, people should be able to build relatively simple structures up to that size. I guess, you know, we tend to think of sixty square meters as small, and it ain't for number of years we lived in our fifty square meter to bedroom brick and tile unit. Now fifty square meters was kind of enough space for us for a period of time, and so the thought of building that without a building consent, there's some challenges, so that we've been talking a little bit about that on the program as well. One hundred and eighty ten eighty Did you get the if you're in Auckland, did you get the weather alerts yesterday in the afternoon, Because I certainly did, got one and then got another one straight after. A little bit of criticism for civil defense and for the met Service of not being aware of the potential for the heavy rain that parts of Auckland experience overnight Friday come Sunday morning. That led to some flooding and some cars being submerged and roadways blocked and buildings inundated with water. Again, we might talk about that too around you know what can we do? Can you as a homeowner do anything. The other thing that I find absolutely fascinating at the moment, particularly in Auckland, is the buyout scheme. So local government and national government, state government are actively buying out properties and we're talking in Auckland anyway, I think it's around seven hundred dwellings that are going to be purchased, Like I when I first like i'd heard about it, but you don't dig into the detail, and so I did the other day and it's all available online. You can see you can't see which individual houses, but a rough idea of breakdown per suburb. So, for example, Milford on the north Shore, one hundred and forty one dwellings are going to be purchased by counsel and government in this buyout scheme, a billion dollar buyout scheme. And I guess they're looking at that going that we can't stop the flooding. We know what the weather's going to do. Even part of that rain event on Friday night, said day morning was part of what I'd call what the statistics would say is a one in one hundred year flood event. And while I've got a few gray hairs and that sort of thing, I reckon I've been through about six or seven one and one hundred year flood event so far. So obviously heavy rainfall is going to be part of our future. So what do we do to mitigate that as well? Lots to talk about oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Someone sets through and said, I think the government's talking seventy square meters, not sixty. I think you might be right. It's not like it's not in legislation right now. Feedback that I've had all conversations that I've had partly with government and government departments, is that some of let's say the coalition partners, wanted to go up to hundred twenty square meters without necessarily requiring a building consent. I think they'll probably settle on about seventy, might be sixty. We'll soon find out when it actually becomes legislation. Let's get into the calls. Lovely to have you company this Easter Sunday, Kathy, good morning, Hi, good morning.
Speaker 8: I just have a question.
Speaker 21: I've held my house. All new windows put right through my house, double based windows. I've got an old wooden home. Yes, so I've got woodens, I've got the insects now. We've painted the window sells on the inside and around the window frames.
Speaker 14: Yes.
Speaker 21: And all the rooms except the kitchen one we did with oil based paint. Now on the window sill where the windows attacked, there's a bonding. We've painted over that with the oil based paint. Now it's very sticky. So I just wondered if what we can do to take the stickiness away now do we?
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 21: It's only on the bonding, which is what probably less than a centimeter really is.
Speaker 6: It'd only be a millimeter or so thick, isn't it?
Speaker 20: Little bit?
Speaker 22: Just a little strip?
Speaker 20: Yeah, because I went to.
Speaker 6: Look at a similar situation a little while ago, but I think it's similar, and so just correct me if I'm wrong with this. But what I think happens is, so you've got your existing timber sashes, the rebate was deepened to allow for the double glazing, right, so they make the rebate deeper, and then that should have been primed, it should have been sealed the beer timber, yes, yes, And then when the double glazing unit itself is installed. Often they'll put like a basically like a foam tape around the inside of that rebate and set the double glazing unit into it, right, and then put the double glazing unit in. Then another bead, another strip of foam around the outside, and then the timber bead that holds the double glazing unit in place, because we don't typically putty double glazed units into place. Now, that foam is obviously porous, and what I went to have a look at some time ago was where the painter had painted onto the foam, but because the foam acts like a sponge, it had sucked the paint in and you could see it, right, and then there's kind of no way to get rid of that because it's sucked into the foam which is acting like a sponge, and then it bled through onto the glass. I wonder whether in your situation, ideally you would have masked the foam and only painted onto the timber.
Speaker 21: Okay, the stuff that I saw in them put on it looks like I'll say, it looks like no more gaps. But it's not no more gaps.
Speaker 23: It's in a tube like that.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, So they beaded it on with Okay. Now that's another way of doing it, and probably the more common way. So what you do is you've you've cleaned out the rebate, you've primed it. That's really important. Then they put in a bead of glazing silicon and then push the glass into that and that holds the seals in the ear gaps and so on. Typically those sorts of sealants are not designed to be painted, right, So some silicons you can paint, or some sealants you can paint. Others you can't. And when you do try and paint them, it looks like the paint is actually being pushed away. It tends to break up and separate, and so it won't dry effectively on there and may.
Speaker 21: Yeah, all the other windows we've painted.
Speaker 22: With acrylic water bay, yeah, yeah, water.
Speaker 21: Based in them. Yeah, it's just the kitchen one we did with the oil base, and we did an undercoat and everything, but there's no way to get ready to read the red of the stickiness, was there?
Speaker 6: I guess there's two. There'd be two things that I do. One is to go back to the installer and just explain what it is that you've done, and they might have encountered it. There might be like a silicon solvent that you can use to remove the paint work, right, and like a it might be a turp space, it might be a nice apropyl alcohol might be another very specific product that you could use to clean the paint off that silicon surface. If that's more trouble than it's worth. Then maybe they could come back, take the double glazing out, peel the silicon out, redo the silicon, put it back in again. But I think that'll be at your expense.
Speaker 21: Yeah yeah, yeah, well yeah yeah. I just wondered about just you think some turps on a little bit of cottonball budg.
Speaker 6: Certainly the turps won't won't affect the glass obviously, and it might just dissolve that. The other thing, you could wring the paint supplier and just go, hey, look, this is the problem that I've got. Is there something that I can use, a particular solvent that I could use for that? So, you know, I don't think it's the end of the world, but I understand the frustration. And often with the foam, it's on the outside that this is what happens a lot. So there's the foam and then the timber bead that holds in the double glazing in it, and if you like, typically, if it's a standard single glazed puttied window, what you always should do is paint onto the glass with the double glazing. That's no longer true. You don't want to be trying to paint that flexible foam on the outside.
Speaker 21: The glass isn't visible onto the windowsill because he's about I don't know, a couple of centimeters of aluminium. Ah, okay, and the glasses a set in the frame.
Speaker 6: Then right, but it's a timber sash, it's not an aluminium frame.
Speaker 21: Okay, it's a timber slash with a little aluminium strip on it. And then the glass of seep into the or the windows deepens through that.
Speaker 6: Oh so yeah, it's unusual and it's.
Speaker 21: Like the water then you know how if you get conversation that drips, I know you shouldn't have double glazing, but is it sort of water thing that drips?
Speaker 4: Then yeah?
Speaker 21: But yeah, well i'll just see what solves that we can get then.
Speaker 6: And go from the Yeah, have a go, but make a few phone calls beforehand, I think, just to make sure that you're not an adversion to you doing something. Yeah, incorrect, Good luck and thanks for calling. Really appreciate and I'm actually I've made a note to ask a couple of people about solutions for that too, so I'll see if I can get an answer as well. Nice to talk with you very much, take care all of this. Then someone's text me and said, Hey, Pete, it's Easter Day, not Easter Sunday. I either day of Easter. Calling it Easter Sunday reduces it to the same status as an Easter said Day or Easter Monday Easterday. Okay, I've always called it Easter Sunday, but I hear what you're saying. Oh, one hundred and eighty ten eighties, and I'm going to call Steven good morning.
Speaker 24: Oh, good morning, Pete.
Speaker 11: Morning.
Speaker 6: Indeed, thank you.
Speaker 24: I just want to know. I'm wanting to put an exterior door into a downstairs bedroom. It's a cedar house, and I only have two exits on the top level and there's no exterior exit on the bottom level, which just has two bedrooms. And I want to know if I need to get a building consent to cut an exterior door into that bottom bedroom.
Speaker 6: Are you going to do it where there's an existing window or are you creating a new opening?
Speaker 24: No, it's going to be beside the existing window, which is a metal framed window.
Speaker 6: Yes, it does require a building consent.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 24: If I was just to put it where the window is and turn that into a siding door, then I wouldn't Is that what you're.
Speaker 6: Saying that's exactly correct with one proviso. So if you imagine you've got an existing window opening and you remove the cladding, remove the framing below it, but you don't change the size of the window opening, you could. Yeah, it's so it's all about the span of the lintel, the beam that holds up everything above it, and given that you're in a two story house, that beam's really important, right. So that's that's a primary part of the concern. The other part, the second part is we're the tightness, but you've already got a window there, right, So there's a detail for how that's flashed, whether it's a facing and a scriber or whatever the cladding is. So whoever does the work just copies what's already there and extends it down and that will deal with weather tightness around the exterior of the joinery. So if it's an existing opening and you're converting from a window to a door without expanding the size of the lintel, you can do that under Schedule one of the Building Act.
Speaker 24: Right. Well, I won't be doing that. I had considered that, but I want to make an exterior wooden door into the wall beside the window, and I also want to put a metal screen door over it as well, so that when I open this open the wooden door inside the house, which is going to be the exterior door, then I can still have a screen door which I can lock from the inside just to allow earflow and no insects to come in. So that's all right to do that as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can do whatever you want in terms of the type of door that you're going to put in. But the fact that you're creating a new opening, which will mean that you'll need to someone will need to put in a lintel. Someone will need to say what size that lintel is going to be. Potentially they might look at bracing elements because given that it's the bottom floor, so I without a door in it was providing some bracing. You'll need to accommodate that. And then the other consideration is where the tightness, so how it's flashed and detailed on the exterior. But yeah, should answers you need a building consent?
Speaker 24: Great, thanks so much to my pleasure.
Speaker 6: Take care of the Then oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call. Did a little waterproofing job, a little Yes, it was this week. So did the Actually someone takes through because I talked about this job that I've been doing, which is doing the decking, replacing decking, and then I talked about filling it and priming it and spot priming it and first coding it and top coating it, and someone said you should never paint decking. I should always stain it. Okay, what I perhaps neglected to say is it's tongue and groove timber, right, So it's a it's a villa with a villa style veranda on it where the decking boards which were li soop treatment which is rubbish and failed, and so I've had to prop the verandah pull up all of the decking because I didn't want to just cud all the rotten bits out and have an ugly join. So I've just pulled up all of the decking replaced it all with new H three point two treated tongue in groove, so one fifty or X one twenty five tongue and groove, which I have painted because that's what you do. You don't stay in those sorts of decks. So that's why I'm painting it, just to be clear. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call Maria. Good morning, Oh, good morning, Peter.
Speaker 14: Hey, I said good morning.
Speaker 6: Peter, and good morning to you Maria. Happy Easter.
Speaker 25: I was going to say, I was going to say happy Easter too, but I was just thinking what you were saying before about the Easter Day and Easter Sunday. I've heard my grandkids call it Easter Day, and I think it's Easter Sunday. It's Easter Day?
Speaker 6: Is it Easter Day? I keep saying Easter Sunday.
Speaker 25: I've always said that, but they say it's East Today.
Speaker 6: I'm going to look that up because the in a pedant pennant comes out at these moments and I feel that I need to get to the bottom of this. Anyway, that's not what we're talking about. We are talking about. Well, actually, would you like to talk about gone, tell us.
Speaker 25: What's internal gass flattish roof houset. You know it's only got about a ten mill four on it? Yes, well those horrible internal gusters.
Speaker 6: Now describe to me exactly what you mean by internal gutters, because sometimes we use the language and it's not actually an internal gutter. Okay, So describe, describe to me the So you've got a relatively flat pitched roof and then the internal gutter. Is that like in the middle of the building, or is what you're describing one of those concealed spouting facier type systems where you've got a metal facia that runs around the perimeter of the building and then the spouting is tucked in behind that.
Speaker 25: Yeah, basically gets it's that okay, which again mittle guttering. And it's only on two sides of the house, yes, and it's only got two down pipes.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 25: So seventies house. Does that sound right to you?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 6: And again I was up on this roof on Tuesday, I think it was knowing that the weather was going to pack in, trying to get some waterproofing done, and then I was looking around at the spouting and this is a basically a sort of sixty square meter roof, and it had one down pipe on one side and one down pipe on the other. And I'm thinking, in fact, no, the entire roof would be about one hundred and twenty square meters and two down pipes. That's not anywhere. And this is a nineteen sixties building, right, so it's unrealistic to think that the water is going to run the better part of twenty five meters to find a little lady mill down pipe on the other side. So I'm going to have to sort something out there as well. And I if what's happening with yours is that in does it leak all of the time or only in heavy rain?
Speaker 25: Heavy rain? But it leaked really badly set.
Speaker 6: It last night and when you what did you see? What does the leak look like?
Speaker 25: It's got tenants. This place that was pouring, it was pouring. It was pouring down the corner bedroom, which is pouring down into on the edge of the window. And the other side that was really bad was the master bedroom. It was all in the wardrobe. It was just pouring down the wall. Yeah, and it was in the middle of the house by the kitchen. They couldn't see where it came from, but I know that happened once before. And the roofing person that looked at it said, the water's gone right and from the guttering under the roof and just come down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, water can do that.
Speaker 8: To fix that.
Speaker 6: Okay, you might have to spend some money, right, let's get that part out of the way first, right. The challenge with what I would call concealed spouting behind metal facier, and there's a couple of different systems. The most common one back in the day was Class so k Lass. If you look that up online you'll see a picture or a description of it. And it was a nifty idea. So instead of having a bit of facia and then some spouting hanging out board, we'd put on metal facia. Wo'd tuck the spouting the actual gutter part on the inside, and then from the outside it's a clean, slick appearance. Right now, Some of those systems worked okay. The majority of them might have worked okay for a period of time, but what I know about almost all of them is that eventually they'll leak right, partly because they're laid with very little fall. Also, the back upstand is less than the front upstand, so when they get overwhelmed, they tend to overflow over the back. And then, because they're often with a five A cement safit, the water overflows over the back of the internal spouting lands on the safe and the safite is often put in place before the clatting, so it's over and above and behind the clatding and it just funnels the water straight into the building. That's typically what happens. So the other day when I was down at the Home and Garden show, I got talking to some guys from Continuous Group who are do spouting, but they also have a system where they'll come pull that off, install a new facia, extend the roofing out with a flashing if required, and do external facia. I know that Custom Spouting and Facia also have a proprietary system that they've developed. So those two companies in particular are very familiar with the problem and they've come up with a solution, which is great. I think trying to repair it is really difficult, time consuming and probably won't give you a good result. So if it was me, and if you could find the money, I would just get someone in to rip it all off, redo a more conventional facire with an outboard spouting or guttering and do that in the first instance. If you need to upgrade the number of downpipes, that would be wise. But of course if you're going to increase the number of downpipes, you're going to have to change your store water connections to accommodate that, which might mean what would mean getting a drain layer in, excavating, adding new pipes, those sorts of things. Maybe that's too much work. But certainly ripping off the existing facia and the concealed gutter, that's what I would do.
Speaker 25: I've thought about that. I've thought about that quite often. I just don't know what it would cost. You would you have any ideas?
Speaker 6: Look, I tell you what. I didn't think it was unreasonable. And I did a sort of pre purchase house inspection for a family ment a little while ago, and it was a reasonably big houses, big concrete tile roof in classic nineteen seventies, right two story bricon tile roof, concrete roof, concealed spouting, and I sent, actually I went to custom Facia to do this, and they had a look on the GIS so they can measure the building just using satellite imagery, and came back with an estimate. And I didn't think it was unreasonable. I think it was. I could look it up for me emails, but you know, it was like in the ten fifteen thousand dollar bracket, which I thought was quite reasonable. And this was a big building and quite high up.
Speaker 25: Yeah, yeah, two story. I'm just trying to visualize it, because the whole facure would have to be changed, the whole house would Yeah.
Speaker 6: And to be fair, like a couple of years ago, again, I looked at a property on behalf of someone who was interested in buying it, and it had that concealed spouting system on it. And at that time what I was thinking is, right, I've got to pull all that off. I've got a nog it all out. I've got to hang a timber facer on there and get someone into do spouting. That's a lot of work. Whereas, because the problem is quite common, these those two particular companies and there might be others, have come up with essentially their own they've developed a system that allows them to tackle that. And because they've got a system, it's efficient, and efficiency generally helps keep costs down.
Speaker 25: Oh that's fantastic. Yeah, sorry, can I just that's right down? The names I missed. I missed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So have a look at continuous group, continuous continuous group do it and also custom facia and spouting. Okay, so yeah, quick google search, we'll find both of those. No trouble at all, No, this has happened.
Speaker 25: A couple of times before, but only once is bad. And that's when I want to sell the place. I just think, oh, I can't kate with this.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 6: I tell you what it's not. It's it used to be a really big fix. Now it's a big ish fix, but nowhere near as challenging as it used to be because like the like I say, these two particular companies, they've come up with essentially their own system to address that. And it's it's neat and tidy and yeah, so it's either continuous dot code dot enz or facia and spouting dot codet en z. Yeah.
Speaker 25: Wells and there might be yeah, and I need to know because I'm mucking around trying to sort it.
Speaker 6: Look, and the really hard thing, because I've I've tried to repair a couple as well. There's not a lot of space to work. And if you try and go, okay, I'm going to take that internal gutter out and replace it with a new piece, it's really hard to find it. It's really hard to get it in. Often it's laid with minimal fall, so typically there's you know, it doesn't take much for them to become unundated. Inundated, and then when they do, if it's got a sefit, it runs straight back to the building. So if you can get some prices, get it done and sleep well at night. I mean she yeah, I know it's frustrating.
Speaker 25: A yeah, well she thinks her mother's treasures that were in the wardrobe, Oh.
Speaker 6: Franky, yeah, yeah, look good, get it sorted. Good luck with that, Maria. You take care, thank you very alrighty, all the very best. In fact, yesterday morning, just by the bye, we caught up with some friends for coffee in the morning and he happens to be a property manager, like for rental properties, and so very flippantly off the cuff when we were having coffee, I said, you know, you must lie awake at night on a night like we've just had with thunderstorms and rain and wind and lightning and all the rest of it, just waiting for the phone to ring. And he went, hey, look, fingers crossed right now, I haven't had a single call. And at about four o'clock in the afternoon, same gentleman rings me and goes, hey, just wondering if you could come and give me a hand. You got some time, and we went round to a property that thankfully wasn't far from my place. Two windows that had blown out in the storm, and so I had to put a bit of ply on the roof and cut some ply sheets rescue one sash from the roof, and one remarkably timber sash had blown out of the window, slid down the roof, fallen into the garden and was still intact. I mean it had ripped where the hinges were, but the glass was still intact. So how that happened, I have no idea. Anyway, that was my little job in the afternoon, So I probably shouldn't have mentioned what I mentioned when we first sat down for coffee, right heo seven thirty three. Remember we've got red climb pasted at eight point thirty and after the break talk about insurance. So some months ago and every and then we talk about insurance on the program in terms of renovations. You know, if you're a homeowner and you're going to do some work, when do you need to inform your insurance company? What types can you extend your existing policy? Do you need to take out a specific policy for your for the work that you're doing. What happens when the project is finished? Et cetera, et cetera. So we're going to have a discussion with a representative from NZIDI who's one of their specialists in this area after eight o'clock. So are really looking forward to that as well. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty then number to call in Fact News Talk.
Speaker 4: Said the extra, but for the little it's worth.
Speaker 26: My best guess, and it is just that a guess is that none of these tariffs are set in stone. Countries are going to try and plicate him. Companies in the US are going to try and negotiate their own little carve outs. If you're a company that relies on bringing in some mineral from China and you need that to develop your industry, you're going to go and knock on the door a Pennsylvania abba you and asked Donald Trump for a little bit of special treatment.
Speaker 6: And Donald Trump is.
Speaker 26: Going to absolutely love picking favorites. That being said, has approach well, lurch all over the place, defined only by spur of the moment, whims and incoherent. Regardless of what happens, Trump will claim success, his supporters will agree, and the global order looks that much more unstable.
Speaker 1: That was a News talk zedby Extra ending up the house, storning the garden, asked Pete for a hand. The resident builder with Peter wilfcap call News Talk ZBB.
Speaker 6: So to the person, this is my independent coming out. The person that texts through going it's not East to Sunday, it's Easter Day. I'm not sure you're right. And I'm saying that because Chris is text to say good morning or good night. Pete, what's not good night?
Speaker 4: It's morning.
Speaker 6: Hey. I'm enjoying the show, which is obviously a building show, but I can't believe that people are calling today Easter Day. It's officially East to Sunday in the Roman Catholic calendar tradition. I grew up in New Zealand the sixties and seventies with the Catholic education, Easter Sunday is definitely what it is regards from Chris. I went through my Catholic education in the seventies and eighties and that's probably why I still call it Easter Sunday. So I'm going to stick with Easter Sunday at this point in time until I see any reason to change, and to be fair, even if I did have reason to change, it probably wouldn't so Easter Sunday, it is for me. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call Andrew, good morning, good morning, greetings. I'm very well in yourself, I'm okay, good.
Speaker 12: How can I help.
Speaker 13: Question about of boundary. So we built their house about year two thousand in a new subdivision, and we waited until the neighborhead built their house, and then we built a fence on the boundary. Yes, and this did contribute to the things take echid of the money in a little So he was involved in the building of the sense. Now I did most of the work, built this fence on the boundary. So the fence line covers certain boundary pigs. And where the boundary line changes, where the boundary line changes direction, the posters replaced basically a boundary pig. So's being five for twenty five years. But now he's making noises and saying, oh, you've illegally removed boundary illegally moved boundary pigs. And if you go to sell on a thing with the council making the problem for what's the story.
Speaker 6: Removal of a boundary for peg is actually an offense. And the surveyor General could intervene and issue some sort of fine or something like that. As my understand I'm not sure about the fine, but there is there is actually a title of Surveyor General, which is a sort of kind of an honorary title given to someone who's headed the survey as and so removing a boundary peg like the white peg in the ground, if it's there, you, you and I as mere mortals can't remove them. I guess the formal process would be that you have it removed by a surveyor. You then put a post in, and the surveyor comes back and puts a boundary marker on top of the post or on top of the fence. And I've seen that often they're a little like aluminum disc probably about three centimeters in diameter, which will often be placed on a fence to denote the boundary. But I do believe that removing a boundary peg is actually an offence.
Speaker 13: Okay, so suspense is there, and it's a lovely substantial fence. Yes, what's my move to?
Speaker 6: I wonder whether you know to satisfy everyone, perhaps what you do unlikely that you're going to share the costs with your neighbor, but you know, ring a ring a surveyor and say, look, this is what's happened. Can you formalize the position of the boundary by undertaking a survey and then putting in a boundary marker at the appropriate place to indicate where the boundary is, given that the boundary peg has been removed, Okay, that that and you know, get some quotes on that, because typically these things start in the hundreds of dollars. But that I think that would satisfy everyone.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the slightest satisfying the neighbor. Okay, I just I just want to make sure that he has no.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well then I think that would be the simplest way. So, okay, boundary pig has been removed for whatever reason and with good intent to build the fence. You could formalize that by asking the surveyor to install a boundary marker, and then anyone who looks at the property in the future can go, oh, great, I can see exactly where the boundary is now. Would I would be surprised if more than half wouldn't even be that. I don't think it'd be more than half of the houses properties in the country have actual boundary pigs and markers in place. It's not uncommon to find that they've been removed or been buried or built over or whatever, So it's not an unusual circumstance to be in. But the sheer fact that there was one there and now it's not means that you could you know, you need to address that, and I would do it by having a boundary marker installed.
Speaker 22: Okay, yeah, I hope that happens.
Speaker 6: All right, yea, all the very best, Take care Andrew, take care all the this eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number call.
Speaker 11: Text.
Speaker 6: How easy is it to get a coas to get of acceptance for a gay carriage that's been adjoined to a house for over twenty years? I was told after I was only told after I bought it, and now I want to sell it? Is it an expensive sign off? Thanks from K? Yes? I think it is going to be expensive? Well, expensive is relative?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Can you do it for five hundred bucks?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: You can't. Could you do it for five grand? Possibly? Is it going to cost you ten grand? I wouldn't be surprised, possibly even a bit more. It depends a little bit on how much information is already available. So, for example, did the work get a building consent but never got signed off? So you've got some original plans to refer to and permission from council. Was it built with no building consent and no permission from council? And then how are you going to go about getting that done? You're going to have to get it surveyed, You're going to have to get it drawn up, You're going to have to get it. What it is these days is that counsels have kind of changed their attitude. And I've probably told this story a number of times, but just by way of explanation, I think for a long time, for a long time, there were safe and sanitary reports, right, And this was the sort of thing that somebody either did some work and then went to sell it and someone said, oh, but that doesn't look like it's on the plan. I've added a bathroom, I've extended the kid's bedroom, that sort of thing, and so counsel would come along and they'd do a safe and sanitary inspection. Is it safe? Is it going to fall down? Is it sanitary? I does the poo go in the right direction? Right? That was basically it to be blunt, except people were taking advantage of that. So people who knew better, who knew that you needed to get a building consent or should have known, were going, Look, I'm not going to bother with a building consent. I'm just going to build it and then I'm going to ask them to come along give me one of those safe and sanitaries. And so I think Council of tweak to that, and so the burden of proof is back on the owner the property, and the level of compliance is equivalent now to a building consent. So if you think I'm not going to get a building consent, I'll just go and get one of those coas, you're misguided that Council's expectation is that you need to prove compliance. Typically that you're going to have to engage a building survey who has a suitable level of qualification to come and they might find that in fact, the building is not compliant and that you're going to have to do extensive remedial work to bring it up to the current building code. So hey, by all means, take the risk, but don't expect it to be an easy process anymore to get a CoA. As my opinion, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call Dave? Good morning to you.
Speaker 14: Morning, hey day. I've been looking online and there's this out to call trade tested and they're advertising portable get garriages yep, and also flat packed garages and they come and all sort of sizes, from little workshops right up to double bay garages. Is how do I know that these things are compliant to New Zealand standards? Another, which, how do I know I can buy one and put them one up here?
Speaker 6: Given that you've mentioned a company's name and I don't know them, and I you know, I don't know what the ins and outs of the individual product, but I this is how I would approach it. If those are the sizes of a building that you could build without necessarily requiring a building consent. Now, even buildings that are built not requiring a building consent still need to be built according to the New Zealand Building Code. But they are a non habitable building, right, So the requirements for a garage are less than the requirements for a habitable space. So okay, again, doesn't require installation, doesn't require interior linings, The bracing elements will be slightly different potentially, you know, lots of things will be different. So I guess the first people to ask would be the company that you're thinking about purchasing one from, and I guess they should be able to provide you with a really straightforward sort of explanation that goes, hey, this is the building. This is how it complies in terms of, you know, is it going to stay up, is it going to be reasonably weather tight and so on. But it doesn't necessarily need to be of the standard of a habitable space because it's not one.
Speaker 14: Okay, yeah, but any would there be any paperwork that would come with it to say that it's being built to New Zealand standards or.
Speaker 6: That's really a question you should ask the provider. I mean, but you know, ideally it would. And again it kind of loops back to a much earlier conversation we had that I wonder whether all of this discussion around effectively small scale buildings granny flats that could be built without necessarily built in having a building consent. I think a quick way to compliance would be to allow existing manufacturers who can prove their quality assurance that they would be the providers of these sorts of buildings right and in the same way that if this company is importing structure, it needs to comply. It needs to comply with things like the Consumer Guarantees Act. So you know if you put it up and you bolt it together with the right number of bolts and the right number of fixings and the right amount of bracing, that it will stay up and perform as it should. So there's multiple parts of legislation. There's obviously the Building Act, but there's also things like the Consumer Guarantees Act.
Speaker 14: What size? What's the largest legal size I can buy?
Speaker 6: I'm not sure about the largest legal size you can buy, but typically in the right now, under what they call Shedule one of the Building Act, you can build a car port up to forty square meters. You can do a non habitable space like a workshop, garage, sleepout, etc. Up to thirty square meters. And you can do a shed like as a canopy type or a shed in a farm environment up to one hundred and ten square meters. All of this is changing quite a lot, so go back a couple of years. The maximum size for a dwelling like a habitable space as in a sleepout no plumbing, was ten square meters. That's moved to thirty square meters. Now, all of the talk from the government at the moment is that's going to shift to seventy square meters, saying that it overlaps with other local planning regulations. So even though you could build a garage without necessarily requiring a building consent, you have to come apply with the planning rules, and that typically is that the building needs to be the height of the building away from the boundary. Okay, now you might want to build a meter from the boundary. That's then going to trigger a requirement for a building consent. Building consent would mean that you would need to provide evidence from the supplier that the building is going to comply with the building code. So that would be an interesting way of approaching it with the suppliers to go. My intention is that I'm going to get a building consent for this. Can I submit your plans as part of my building consent and will the building be compliant? Be interesting to see what their answer is.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's really good at Angle.
Speaker 6: Thanks a lot, Pete, my pleasure, lovely talking with you all the best. Take care by Remember after the break we're talking insurance, but we'll take your calls right up to New Sport and weather top of the are on this Easter Sunday. Ah, I'm just intrigued about the terminology. Here we go, Pete. Easter Day is a tradition in the Anglican Church. I used to change the boards church each week. When I changed to Catholicism. That's when I noticed that they used as in they as inn we and me, I'm a Catholic, changed it to Catholicism. That's what I know. They used East Sunday, different terminology between the two churches. But of course it's the same day. It depends on which side of the fence one is on. Thank you, Kiriama.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 6: Oh that explains why I say Easter Sunday not Easter Day. Oh wait, there you go. I've learned something today. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call ready a very good morning to you.
Speaker 27: Ah, hi, good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you morning? I'm very well in yourself?
Speaker 15: Yes, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 11: Hey.
Speaker 27: Just to have a quarry, you know there is an existing building, yes, under and there there are like a lot of wooden windows. Yes, so there are some of them like a ratten and filing golf and just my infantion is like just to replace them with the aluminum windows. So to do that, do we need a building content I.
Speaker 6: Don't believe that you do so, as long as you don't change the size of the window in terms of the width of it in particular, like you could if you wanted to lower the sill and make the window effectively taller, but you can't change the lintel, so you can't change the width of it. You still need to install the new joinery as per the building code, so you might need to add some tape around the perimeter. You might need to install a WANs bar if you're doing aluminium jewry. If you use uPVC joinery, you don't need to use a wands bar in some instances, certainly not with the stark windows. So there's a couple of alternatives, but in general you can do that work under Schedule one of the Act.
Speaker 27: Okay, And this appla same for residential as well as commercial as well.
Speaker 6: I can't really speak for commercial because that's not my area of expertise, but you know, for example, if it was a multi story building, you've got different issues in terms of wind loading and weather tightness and so on, So i'd seek specific advice. But on a residential building, AH, confident that you can replace timber four aluminium undershared your one of the act.
Speaker 19: Oh yeah, all right, yeah, thank you so much to best.
Speaker 6: Take care, Thank you very much, thank you. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. We've still got time for a couple more calls, so the lines are open. The number is eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Texts are great as well, um concealed spouting. We overcame the issue by cutting one hundred point fifty hole through the facire at the height about one third down of the box gutter. This ax is an overflow and extreme weather, so no more internal leaks. It's a good temporary solution. I wouldn't disagree with you. I mean it's it's it's allowing the water to get out before it gets in basically, so that that's not a bad idea. In fact, tell you what was really interesting?
Speaker 4: What was to me anyway?
Speaker 6: The other day I was again it was talking with the spouting guys at one of the home and garden shows that I go to. And it was down a top or actually, and we were chatting about like what happens in heavy rain, and this is something that I think right across the country, we're all going to have to start designing for these these intense bursts of heavy rain. And I think reading through the data, one part of Auckland experienced about one hundred and ten millimeters of rain over a relatively short period. I think over a two hour period. Now, that's going to overwhelm most conventional spouting. And what often happens with spouting is if you look at it through a cross section, the front lip is higher than the back. So if the spouting is overwhelmed and wants to flood, typically the water floods over the back and in some cases can drain ou because if you do, depending on what type of clips and what type of spouting, you've always got a little bit of a gap between the back of the spouting and the faciboard. This is for conventional sort of spouting. And the discussion I was having was that I think the council in Rotor UH are insisting that you put a twelve mill packer behind the spouting to give a drainage gap, which is interesting. I sort of never really thought about it. When you do think about it.
Speaker 2: You go.
Speaker 6: Actually, that's kind of sensible that it allows an easy passage for water when the spouting is overwhelmed. When the number of downpipes, even if the number of downpipes is correct according to the building code, etc. Is still going to get overwhelmed. Or maybe there's a blockage in the storm wat line that's backed up through the downpipe and therefore the water can't get away that In those instances, rather than having to force its way through a relatively narrow gap, you provide a twelve mil gap like you do for fixings against exis cladding. If you're doing a boundary joist or something like that, or ribbon plate, you need to pank it off the wall. Do exactly the same thing with the spouting, and it'll allow the water just to drain straight out there. Interesting. Oh, one hundred and eighty ten eighty. Let's get back to the calls, Trevor, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 11: Why don't you just get hold of mister Marley and ask them to build the to make the back of the spouting a lot taller than the front of the spouting.
Speaker 6: Yes, now that came up with the discussion as well, and I have seen there's an importer of a sort of European brand of spouting that's come in where the back is much higher than the front, or know, a little bit higher than the front twenty millimeters or thereabouts. The issue I think why we have typically had the profile of spouting that we have is we want to cover the end of the sheets, and because we typically don't have as steep a roofs as they do in Europe. Most of the time, if you didn't have a tall upstand on the front of the spouting, you'd see the profile of the roof from ground level. I think that's what it's about.
Speaker 11: Anyway, that.
Speaker 6: We can head in all sorts of different directions. Talk to me about boundaries.
Speaker 11: Boundaries. We live in a rural property and after the Anniversary Day floods, we had a visit from the nice little man from e QC who showed me the satellite boundaries. Now there is not one on this property that is accurate. I have gained a fejo ahead, which is good, and I've lost a line of gum trees which are interfering with the power lines, which is also good. But none of the boundaries are with any well. I know we're one boundary pegg is but then of course recycling up where the other ones are. But certainly going on the fence lines which I assume we're under the boundaries. None of them were within Koui and the other. And my son who was doing alterations on a place in Balmoral in case that was the house was built in nineteen oh eight, it would have been surveyed a long time ago, miles out and he went to do the alteration. So for this guy who's put got his boundary peg and if he was to get the satellite one, and he said it was you know, I don't know when it was survey at that place, but if he had to get the satellite one, he may find that the fence is actually not in the right spot. Anyway, I know, which which one do you go to? Do you go old the oddllite one or do you go to the or do you go to the satellite survey.
Speaker 6: When you say satellite are you talking about cadastral survey.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well the ones that the one that the e QC guys had actually gave all the boundaries as what you know, what they have accept as the boundaries. But that is nowhere near where the boundaries are situated on this property.
Speaker 6: Yes, I guess I'd look at it this way that I think we're kind of in between two technologies. Right. So for all of the time up to quite recently, as long as we've been selling land and surveying it, we've typically had individual surveyors updating individual plans right with their local authority, Whereas as I understand it, today surveyors are able to upload their data into a combined system and it's that cadastral survey right, So the accuracy of all of the surveys is increasing because each individual survey result gets added to a big picture. But it only happens when a survey is undertaken. So like I know of properties where they are sold subject to parcel, so fee simple subject to parcel, which is a way of saying we don't actually know how much land we're selling you or you're buying.
Speaker 11: Not quite common in rural area.
Speaker 6: And it's quite common in older areas. So your son who's working in Balmore, if it's a nineteen oh eight house, it's not that it hasn't been well, possibly it's never been surveyed. Or what you get as a save ay okay, which is to be fair a little. I'm familiar with a property where four houses in a row only know what their overall perimeter boundary is. The boundary in between each of those houses is undetermined, and that's not uncommon. So I guess you know, if one of those particular properties was to undertake a building, you know, some extensions and needed to determine heightened to relation to boundary, how heightened relation to boundary, they would probably have to then go and get a survey done and then it would determine the boundary. But right now I know for a fact the boundary is just not determined. So but I think over time, as obviously we moved to a didal platform for all of the surveys, the amount of data will increase dramatically and the accuracy will increase dramatically, whether or not I when you say satellite, I don't know that I'd work off a satellite image, because that might.
Speaker 11: Be I assumed it was satellite.
Speaker 6: It might be the cadastral system.
Speaker 11: You see Manhattan his hand when he came down, and when I looked at it, I thought God had none of the none of the fences are within Yeah. Three photos of the look.
Speaker 6: I remember building a garage in Mount Eden, probably thirty years ago, and there's a big old stone fence right from way back in the day, and everyone just assumed that the fence was the boundary and it wasn't. So I know lots of fences that are no like you nowhere near the boundary in the I appreciate the conversation and the discussion. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Now after the break, we might take one or two quick calls, and then we're going to talk insurance. What's public liability, what's contract works insurance? When do you need to talk to your insurer. We've got an expert who can answer some of those questions. General advice around insurance coming up after the break. Now, when do I need to stop talking, because we're going to do that at some stage. We've got a new sport and weather for you coming up shortly. But we will take another calls too, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing with fans, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall.
Speaker 4: Do you have a feed a wolf GAFA call on the resident builder on Newstalks.
Speaker 6: I'd b had a very good morning to you. We're back into the show The Resident Builder on Sunday. That's with me Pete wolf Camp right through till nine o'clock this morning. Slightly different format today obviously because it is Easter Sunday, so we're commercial free, lots of time for your calls, and it's been a really good morning. Actually, thank you very much for those who have participated. It is eight minutes, six minutes. Part me after eight to take a couple of quick calls, and then we're going to have a chat with Meg Warner, whose executive manager, broker and specialist claims is from NZI and it's an opportunity based on some earlier conversations we've had on this show about renovations, alterations and insurance. Who gets what types of insurances are on off? Who do you have to talk to and that sort of thing. So hopefully we'll cast a little bit of light in a general sense onto some of those insurance questions. But before we get to Meg, we're just going to quick chat with you. John. Hey, how are you doing.
Speaker 20: Good?
Speaker 15: Ay?
Speaker 6: John? Hello, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 20: Good morning. Yeah. So I have a garage that's been lined with flywood.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 20: Recently a car crashed into a fence that's next to the garage and the tenant claimed that the garage at flywood Or had been damaged. But that hasn't been damaged at all.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 20: As a response, the insurance set their own builder and look at it, and the builder told the tenant that the garage should be condemned because of the plywood. May they think it's been made into a sleep hour when it's just the garage with plywood. And so I'm really upset that the tenant now doesn't go into the garage because she's been told by the insurances builder that it's condemned. So that's really confusing for me because I thought counsels were the ones that do the condemning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the blood answer would be to say to that builder, get back in your box, right, you're not there to comment on that. You're just there to assess is there damage to the internal linings caused by an accident? And that's a useful no. They then, I mean, look I get it from you know, if they had concerns that, in fact the building was being used as addition an extra bedroom and it was far from being suitable for habitation. Then you know, as a civic duty, good on them for pointing that out. But in this instance it's not. And unless he's got grounds to say that there is some Well, if because a car crashed into the side of it, the building's unsafe, then yes, you could say no one should go into the until it's made safe. But that's the only base crashed.
Speaker 20: Into the fence. The fence. It didn't didn't touch the building, it didn't touch the garage. The problem is the tenant was the one that made a claim, right because I didn't see the building she said that, oh the garage has been damaged too. Because I don't know why she said that. Maybe she thought she'd get a free, new yet brandy garage out of it.
Speaker 16: It was on there.
Speaker 6: I really go John, I wonder whether the simple answer is to get another suitably suitably qualified person LBP building serve to have a look at the building, do a quick note to say, look, it's structurally sound. It's you know, it doesn't need to be building code compliant, it just needs to be sound and safe. And then you can give that to the tenant and say, look, there's no concerns around it. I think that might be the simplest way forward. Again, in some ways, I admire the civic responsibility shown by the person, but also if that's not what they're asked to look at, then they shouldn't comment on it. It's as simple as that. Appreciate the call John and Crystal, Hello.
Speaker 22: Good morning, long time they speak.
Speaker 6: I know that's right.
Speaker 22: So under this new legislation which is increasing the permissive development of on your back looms trade, does it go on the actual square leaderage? So could I take two small dwellings on the back to add up to the same amount of the square message.
Speaker 6: I don't know that the intention is for you to combine the numbers, but if you had enough space, I don't think there's anything that says you can't have more than one.
Speaker 22: Right because I have a quarter acre section and I've got more than a space.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thousand square meters on a quarter acre section the existing house. But remember what the government is talking about is building legislation. They are not talking about planning legislation. So a building needs to comply with both of those pieces of legislation. And what you might find is that council in your area say, actually, we don't have the infrastructure to accommodate two additional habitable spaces. We've only got the infrastructure for one. So we're not going to give permission for it. Even if you don't need a building consent for it, you won't get planning permission. The other thing is, while it might seem like you've got the space, you need to maintain a certain distance between them, so that might be an issue. It might be driveways. You know, It's like, I like the idea of where they're heading, but I think the complexity is there, and there's a lot still that needs to be resolved or discussed.
Speaker 25: And so on.
Speaker 22: So yeah, my last suggestion would be they can have a set of approved in Nerica plans, but you'd go online, you know for all different types of dwellings. Yeah, and you could just use the one that you want to use, and then you know, that's that's that complies. If you know, that would be a good idea.
Speaker 6: I think I think there's some real grounds for that sort of thing to develop. So you know, even as a designer, you could say, well, look here, I'm offering up a set of plans that if you build it in accordance with my set of plans, the building will be code compliance. It's a sixty square meters that would be that'd be a great business to start there.
Speaker 22: You go, absolutely all right, and to you too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got to take it easy on the chocolate these days, but it's been quite the interesting exercise for me personally. In a rather rash decision the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the state of Lent, when asked what I was going to give up, which is part of our tradition for Lent, I said, well, I'll give up alcohol, which I've done, which has been interesting right now. Over the years that we've done the show, insurance we've often talked about, and so it's a great pleasure to connect with Meg Warner from Enzie the other day to talk about specific insurance. We're going to do that in just a moment. A couple of weeks ago, a couple of months ago, on the program, we had a call and someone was talking about insurance. They had a contractor who was coming to do some work at their house. It seemed a kind of unusual arrangement where he was saying, look, I'll take out an insurance policy, but you agree to pay the excess rather confusing, and it got me thinking about all of us. If we're thinking about renovations, if we think about alterations, what type of insurance do we need? And I figured that we should talk to an expert. So it is great to have Meg from Enzie here to talk about some really base terms around renovations and insurance. Meek, thanks very much for joining us.
Speaker 10: Thanks for having me, Pete.
Speaker 6: So let's start. I'm about to do some work on my house, and let's say it's just painting a bedroom. Do I need to ring the insurer?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 10: Okay, not if you're doing a little piece of cosmetic work like that. But if you're about to add a bedroom or add an on suite onto your bedroom, you probably want to have a chat with your insurance broker or your insurance company just to check, because sometimes your policy will cover it and sometimes it won't.
Speaker 6: Okay, So adding on definitely a trigger to say, got to get on the phone to the insurer. What about if I'm ripping out my existing bathroom and doing replacing it, you know, upgrading.
Speaker 10: It again, just pace a chat with your broker or an insurance company. It depends on that the value of the work, because some policies will have a limit around small contract works, yep. And in that case you properly will be asked to take out a policy. Okay, but if it's low value, maybe not. But every policy is a little bit different, and you don't want to get caught out for the sake of a two minute fun call.
Speaker 6: And I think the theme of all of this is going to be if you're unsure, and most of us are giving a broker or your insurer a call. So let's say that almost anything that's more than just cosmetic is going to require it. So once you've decided to add on, let's say you're adding a little bit onto the living room, changing the kitchen, maybe doing some work in the bathroom, you've got a general scope of works. What's the conversation with the insurer? What do you need to tell the insurer?
Speaker 10: So there's a couple of bits here, pete. So sometimes your contract, your contract will have their own policy in place that will cover the work that they're doing, and sometimes they won't. So when they don't, if you're arranging it and you can have this conversation with your builder, you'd contact your insurance company and you'd let them know what you're doing, how long it's going to take, how much you're spending, and then they will ask any additional questions that they have there and put something in place that will protect you if something happens.
Speaker 12: So, if the.
Speaker 6: Contractor has insurance for this type of work sort.
Speaker 10: Of what's that called contract works insurance?
Speaker 6: Okay? And just in terms of surety, if I'm the homeowner and I'm engaging the builder who's going to be the main contractor, and I say to them, hey, look, show me your the proof that you've got the insurance. What should that proof look like?
Speaker 10: They should have a certificate of insurance.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 10: It's quite a normal thing for an insurance broker to provide their customers at renewal time. And sometimes a builder will have an annual contract works policy, so that's a policy that will be in place for a full twelve month period and then it'll cover all the jobs they do.
Speaker 6: Yes, what about if let's say, you know renovations can run to half a million dollars, So would you then talk to your to the contractor and go, do you have specific contract works insurance for this job given the scale of it?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think as a job gets bigger, you're probably going to want to make sure that you are a joint insured on a contract works policy.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 10: So if you've got an insurance company that offers contract works insurance company, great idea to take it out with them, because then you know you've got continuous insurance cover. You know there'll be no gaps. But if not, contact your broker and they'll be able to place the contract works with any commercial insurer.
Speaker 6: Okay. So if as the homeowner again, you're going to do the extension, You've talked to your contractor they might have contract works insurance. You would then extend your policy as well. Is an overlap a good thing, or you don't need the overlap, You.
Speaker 10: Don't want an overlap. An overlap will complicate things and make things harder in the event of a claim. So you want to make sure that you're clear as to who has the obligation to take out the contract works policy.
Speaker 6: So in this case, again just to be really clear, if I decide that I've got a really as a homeowner, I've got a really good relationship with my insurer, and we're going to do this work. I'm adding thirty square meters to the back of the house. It's going to cost three hundred grand. I ring up and I get the insurance. That's one option, or I don't, but I make sure that my contractor does yes, okay, And the proof is really easy to see because I do hear stories where people say I asked for some proof and they were you know, they said they'd get it to me, but I never saw it. And we do hear stories of builders who take out insurance but in fact they never did or claim to take it out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and in these sort of small renovation jobs, you don't usually have a contract in place that would detail that sort of information as well, So it is quite easy for a contractor to show you. The insurance policy that they have in place.
Speaker 6: Should be really straightforward. So the contract works insurance. What types of things does that cover?
Speaker 10: So any loss related to the work that's underway. So our most common claims are around burglary, so items stolen from sight, lots of white ware, lots of appliances, and a lot of wiring. It'll cover you for storm damage. So if you've got your jib outside and the tarpole and blows off it and it gets damaged in a storm, that's covered by a contract works If your builder spills their coffee on your beautiful floor and you've got to revarnish it, your contract works policy will pick up that loss as well. And if there's a fire caused by a blowtorch that they're using, your contact work policy will pick that up all right.
Speaker 6: The other type of insurance that people often talk about in regards to the construction is public liability. So would a homeowner need to take out some sort of public liability contract or would you expect the contractors all to have their own PI.
Speaker 10: Under most house insurance policies, there is a liability element there, okay, But whether a contract works policy that's going to cover the work that's being done. And there's a separate policy called a public liability insurance, yes, which will cover damage done to other people's property. So if you have some scaffolding up and you knock the hammer off and it damages your neighbor's car, that's the policy that would respond, okay.
Speaker 6: And again it would be reasonable to ask your main contractors, either the or the plumber or the electrician, Hey, do you have these types of policies in place before you come work at my place? Absolutely all right, and hey, look a word to contractors. You should have this on your phone. Basically it's easy to share with people. So the overlap's not a good thing. The public liability is what happens at the end of a project. So let's say you've added twenty or thirty square meters to your house or maybe even more, or you've added a retaining wall, you've done some landscaping, maybe a pool. Do you talk to your insurer about that?
Speaker 20: Yes?
Speaker 10: So whatever change you're making, if you're increasing the value of your home or the size of your home, is the only way you're insure is going to find out about that is if you let them know. Sure, so you want to make sure that that pool is covered, or that the insurance company now knows that your house is a two story not a one story and there some insured, or the cost to reinstate is going to be a little bit different now that you've done all of this work.
Speaker 6: Sure, And then I guess at the end of a project of ring your insurer again and go, hey, the work's finished. Or when people take out a contract works insurance, is it typically for a set period of time.
Speaker 10: Yes, So usually what happens is then you might be familiar with this, peeple. A job will run over every now and then. Sure, So what you want to do is you want to make sure that you know when the policy is going to expire, and if it looks like it's going to run over, make sure that you get an extension, okay, and then when it's done, If it's done by that date, the only thing you need to do is contact your insurer and just to update them with the increase some insured and let them know the new floor area or the new you know, the pool or whatever it is that you've added.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just to make sure that you're covered for those things in the future.
Speaker 10: Absolutely about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah again, I guess the takeaway for me seems to be, you know, get on the phone or go through email the details and go, hey, look, just want to check my cover on these sorts of things.
Speaker 10: Yeah, your house and house insurance policy will have the details in it, right. Call your insurance company. They'll be able to answer the question really quickly. Call you're broker. They'll be used to these types of queries.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but make sure you cover it. I'm just I'm amazed that the most common claim is for burglary, which is a such a disappointing thing to hear. I shouldn't be surprised, but yeah, so it's not the tart bleu off and my house is ruined. It's someone's come and tried to pinch my stuff.
Speaker 10: It's not I got caught up in a tornado. It is it is theft.
Speaker 6: It is burglary from sites.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Wow, that raises a whole other issue. Hey, Meg, thank you very very much for this. It's really good, sensible, straightforward information that hopefully will clarify what to some of us is a little bit of murky territory. So really appreciate your time.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Pete's great to be here.
Speaker 4: Seeya, se Ya used dog zid be.
Speaker 6: So there was Meg Warner from Inzidi as it happens, who's a claim specialist, and just an opportunity to try and shine a bit of a light on It's not that it's murky. I just think that there's to be blunt often so much misinformation or lack of information around who gets the insurance. It's what type of insurance you need, what you need to do with your insurance company. We've got a bunch of texts.
Speaker 7: On that.
Speaker 6: So I think that's been really, really useful, and I think we'll see if we can get back and maybe answer a few of your question sometime in the next couple of months or so. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We got time for a quick couple of building questions. Then we're into the garden with a red claim pass from eight point thirty this morning. So I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call. Someone's just text through? What about replacing the roof? Do I need specific insurance for this? I think that's probably a good example of the sort of work that if you're going to go and do it, you need to ideally contact your insurer. Go this is what I'm going to do. If I need to make a claim. I there's a delay and we have to tarp it and the wind blows and the tart blows off and the rain comes and at my ceiling collapses, then you know, is that covered under my existing policy? Can you extend my existing policy to include that, or do I need to take out a specific policy for a short period of time to allow for that. I think it always seems to be talked to your insurer. Is the right answer? Oh eight hundred eighty is the number to call. Hell go good morning, Hi, How are you very well in yourself?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 23: I'm ringing again about the place I've been in one year and it's been built three yearsners. I've noticed by the metro where on the latest echo system because it's a new build, but because you know you're going to build seven hundred houses at the race course. So we're on the news thing and there's big cracks in the concrete. I'm standing by the big Metro manholes are crack forming along the concrete and also a lot of the electricity man holds has footge sticks downhouses here and won by the core of bag long cracks on the on the path by it.
Speaker 6: Don't get a problem, no, look, I think the hard thing is that you know, I mean, all concrete wants to crack, right, So the way to manage it is one to do the right preparation, to have the right thickness, the right compaction, the right type of reinforcing in it, and then to provide expansion cuts in the concrete just after it's been laid to ensure that if it does want to move and crack, it does so in a controlled manner. That's the short answer to it. So every now and then, if you see cracking, it's one of those things that's unfortunate, but it happens. It might not be structural, it might be you know, essentially purely cosmetic. But if it's cracking and then it's displacement so it becomes a trip hazard, then.
Speaker 4: You probably.
Speaker 23: Even now, yeah, no, I think if.
Speaker 6: It comes, if its a health and safety issue in essence, then you'd probably want to go back to the original contractors to ensure that they've done the work correctly. So that would be the approach i'd take.
Speaker 23: Okay, appreciate that.
Speaker 14: Thank you, very nice to.
Speaker 6: Talk to you. Thank you all best actually just talking about work and workers and all the rest of it. And then I was struck by this actually a couple of times in the last week or so. A few weeks ago, I got called to a property where someone said, oh, look, I've heard this funny sound of water rushing. I don't know what it is, so I said, I'll come up and have a look. When I arrived there, it wasn't water on the property. It was that In fact, there had been a fairly significant leak from the main to the toby to the boundary and there was water just bubbling out of the garden, pouring down the footpath and into the drain it. It was a decent old link, so leak rather so on the phone to water Care because I'm in Auckland, reported it. They sent a crew out very promptly, had it fax, had the water restored within the day. So I kind of go And then actually the other night, driving home back to my place, looking forward to a shower, to be fair, drove past a bunch of guys working just up the street from me digging a great big hole looking for a water leak in I think the water main in our street's about one hundred and ten years old, and so we had to be a little bit patient and wait until about no thing was about seven o'clock at night before the water came back on. But it did come back on, and I was looking at those guys working up there, thinking, you know, they're not going to get home till quite late. And then with the stormy weather that we've had around well, specifically in Auckland, but I know Northland, Corimandel, and so on and near us again transformer blew up. Power was off for a while, you know, But there's crews out there doing the work in miserable conditions, often on public holidays, and I thought, you know, I don't know that they get a lot of criticism, but I don't know that they often get the sort of pad on the back and the congratulations and the appreciation that they deserve, because it's pretty miserable a day on Friday and parts of Saturday, and there's lots of people out there working, and I just sort of think, look good on you. We do appreciate or I do appreciate the work that you do, and certainly, you know, you've got to be a bit patient in these situations. But at least someone's out there fixing it. So good on you. I wait one hundred eighty ten eighty for your gardening questions. We're going to change gear. We're going to head into the garden. I can ask Rid about the tomato seeds that he sent me, which is kind of cool. I should probably ask him when I should get those into the ground and what I'm going to end up with. I'm pretty sure that if he sent me tomato seeds I'll end up with tomatoes, but hey, we'll find out a bit more about that we're through it. If you've got a gardening question, I'll tell you what the one upside to all of the recent heavy rain, and that the garden, the lawn, which has been at my place anyway just absolutely miserable for most of the summer, has burst back into life. So that's on my list for this week as well well. Radio gardening questions galore. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call back.
Speaker 18: In a moment, News Talk said extra, there are some strange calculations that the White House has done when it came to calculating who was going to get hit with these tariffs?
Speaker 4: They what have they done? Strangely Well, it was quite bisire.
Speaker 15: The essentially said, any country that has a trade deficit that can be resolved with terriffs. Now that's not really how tariffs were. Usually what you have is somebody will impose a tax on a particular type of product from a particular type of country. But the Americans, or their White House in this instance, has taken the view that if you have a trade deficit, it must be because you have tariffs. Now New Zealand does not impose tariffs on American products.
Speaker 4: And also it seems like he's used he's used trade deficits in some examples.
Speaker 6: And no, I think I saw something in the gas, all of it. It's all of it, and it's all of it.
Speaker 18: So instead of looking at a tariffs, he's just looked at, for instance, I think China the goods trade deficit. He's simply he's taken a half of what it is and come up down from sixty seven percent to thirty four percent.
Speaker 4: That was a news Talk ZEDB extra.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to Newstalk ZEDB on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio