Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk said b. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take another prick, It is out, The test is over, smokes a beauty, It is out and here you guys. Just Delivery has in years as a goal.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: It's quite a quiet which as we head in the World Hit Championship territory, Sri Lanka displayed a challenge the All Black Space on their upcoming tour. Why is Russia Khan not in the Afghanistan squad? Would it be one of your first choice selections? England spread their wings with injury replacements for the Lord's death and with the White Ferns squad for the Women's World teen twenty due to be named in a Fortnite Do they face a huge challenge? And finally, a special part of the program will be a look back at some cricket humor and we'll play an old speech. We don't have much humor in the game anymore, Jerry. There's been a lot of good stories about cricket, but you know the humor seems to have gone out. It's it's so serious at times now, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's all the money. Do you think what? You think there'd be more humor, but there's not.
Speaker 2: Is there?
Speaker 3: These guys should be happy, but we don't.
Speaker 2: See the characters like like Fred Truman was like he in both.
Speaker 3: Of my missing don't they know who's who's the speaker? You've got?
Speaker 2: It's Frank Tyson.
Speaker 3: Oh he was clever. He was clever, clever guy, very clever and quite sharp too when he bowled, he was.
Speaker 2: You know what he mentioned that. We'll talk about that a little bit later on with the Frankison. But the World Test Championship is starting to emerge now as a real contest because it comes to a head with the final next year. But you know, England pushing up the ladder. New Zealand are still where they were because they haven't played a lot of Test matches, but we know they've got a job in hand. And I was quite impressed by Sri Lanka and the fight that they showed better than the Western in the series against England.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought overall they pushed England quite hard. Yeah, I mean they had one warm up match, didn't they against the Young Lions, and the Lions are an England A type England A side effectively and actually they beat the Sri Lankans. I thought their problem would be the same as the Westernies. Could they get enough runs and could they stay in the game long enough, you know, without a bad session. I mean one bad session can kill you when you're in a Test, vicially when you're playing overseas, you know, and you're tested to your skills and you're in unfamiliar conditions. But I thought their batting looked as if they could get runs. I mean, that wasn't the way with the West Indies, who collapsed I in the second Yeah, Sri Lanka I thought lost the game on the third morning of the match that had a bit of rain, but they were bowling at England and the England tail put on another hundred and that's what really gave them the lead between the first two, you know, between the first innings, each of the teams having said that though they won the toss and batted, didn't they and they were five for seventy and seven for one hundred and ten or something, but they got to two thirty five. It's not quite enough in the first innings, is it No?
Speaker 2: And they had a reasonable lower order response in both of these because of course that relatively you play. Amendous came out the second and got one hundred. He did it, had a good strikebreak too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, Amindu Mendis was outstanding. Got one hundred and ten. That's his I think that's his third hundred and four Test wads and this is probably the best of the lot. He bats at number seven. Very impressive because he didn't get there. You know, this hundred was away from home, not at Bangladesh or in Sri Lanka itself. They had a little bit of trouble at the top, didn't they. Karuna Ratna didn't quite get going. And Kusal Mendus they've been there to England before. They missed out in both the innings, the opener and the number three. They did fight back. And that's the point that I think you're making. I mean, in the first innings the Captain de Silver he got a seventy and I think one of the bowlers, rat Nayak or someone like that got a seventy. And then in the second innings Matthew's got sixty odd chun Mar got eighty and then Comindu Mendous and Chander Mail and Mendus. That partnership has they have kept that going. They could really well. They did set England two hundred odd to get to get in the last innings and England lost three wickets quite quickly. They could really have tested them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chanda Male was batting under a bit of duress as well because he'd retired hurt after being whacked on the hand by wood and that would make you hurt, so I'm sure he was in a little bit of pain. But yeah, they did put They did put on a good fight with the bat. I was I watched through a bit of the night because I wanted to watch spinners and the kind of spinners that New Zealand are going to meet. But they yeah, yeah, they only really played one Jayasuria who was out and out. Mitchell Sant and the left arm around the work at pretty accurate, kept the ball there or thereabouts. The other spinners didn't do much bowling. I think Dan and Jay oud to Silver's spin, isn't he and so's that Mendous And you know, we didn't really see them. Conditions didn't suit but they're going to be dangerous when New Zealand get there.
Speaker 4: Quite clearly.
Speaker 2: I was also interested in England without Ben Stokes, they just seemed to lack that sort of inspiration that he brings. Pope did a good enough job. He wanted his match, but it wasn't quite the same in terms of the way Stokes captains aside a book like Brendan McCallum used to. You know, he'd make changes and then he'd slip in a fairly quickly if he needed to make a change, and that didn't seem to be quite every but I mean Pope did pretty well. It was his first test mention hard to make a judgment on him until he's had a few in charge.
Speaker 3: The first point I would say, I've said I think that the runs are there for Sri Lanka, and really in the end England had to be a bit more careful, didn't. They have to lose it those wickets, they had to give up and fullgo that sort of bas ball approach attack and they had to chisel out in an orthodox way to an orthodox win. And that's where Root showed his class and his experience. Really, but I agree with you about Sri Lanka when they play New Zealand and two tests at gare fairly shortly. I was there a year ago and gore watching Australia play Sri Lanka and it turned appreciably and Australia with something one test, but they won the second but Spin dominated. And really, if New Zealand want to hold their own their position in the World Test Championship that you've mentioned, they really have to try and win well at least one of those tests in Sri Lanka, right, and it's going to be a tall challenge. I agree with you as far as the pope thing goes. Yeah, he's won a Test. He's not the same as he doesn't quite have that instinct that Stokes seems to have about the game. He's he's acquieter captain, isn't he He's not. Yeah, he's not grabbing the game by the scruff of the net and shake neck and shaking it the way that Stokes does. So yeah, he's he. They've made him vice captain. There is talk about the guy Crawley when he comes back, perhaps being the next captain. I don't know, but there are other options there. But in the meantime they've they've chosen the Coote and so yeah, he did okay, he did okay, but he's not Stokes.
Speaker 2: There are fans in ukar to be looking at some of the websites over there that actually challenge Pope's value. Is he worth his place on the side. I think he probably is. He's a quality player. He might have missed out on this Test match, but I think he'll hold his place because of the consistency style of selection that Key, Stokes and McCullum are going for. Not gotten so much for consistency because they've been hampered by injury for the rest of the series. They've picked a squad that includes a new fast bowler, Josh Hull six foot seven inches tall. You know that's Kyle Jamison stuff is and he's coming down from a big height, as well as Ollie Stone, Chris Wolkes, Matthew Potts, Gus Atkinson, and of course they've got players injured. Wood of course is constantly injured and there's been a question mark about whether he should go to Australia because he's got that injury problem. And they've also got injuries to Tom Overton, Pennington and the cass who's back in the framework after some problems with the judiciary of some kind. So you know they've got plenty of good players there to bring into their squad.
Speaker 3: They'll take Wood, there's no doubt about that. If he's he's vaguely fit, they'll want his speed. But Josh Harley, you mentioned, yeah, he's been plucked out, hasn't he? Very left field suggestion? He's from Leicestershire, he's a lead from the Midlands farming boy. I believe Leicestershire are normally a side that's towards the bottom of the competitions over there. So yeah, six foot seven. I mean he obviously drives his car from the back seat of the vehicles. He's a left armor, isn't he as well? So he has trouble with scissors. England haven't had many left armors, have they? They can you? I mean I can remember side bottom, Yeah, but he doesn't. Does he play tests? Nolan? I think no? But what about did we watch the guy was at Melaley who was a surfer rather a strange guy, Alan Mulully and then the one I played against it but John Lever, But I can't think of too many others. I don't think Sam Curran has played a Test, has he? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think he may well have, but he's not a regular selection. He's seen as a white ball player, and they've named a white ball squad too recently with a lot of names in there, and important players have been dismissed. But they've got what is seemingly good depth, haven't they.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they look this guy Hull. When I say he's very left field. You know, he's only played ten first class games. He's got sixteen wickets, so that's one and a half wickets basically per game. That's not very good really when you think of pedals got five per game and he hasn't played a Test yet. Obviously his average is over sixty per problem. It's this group of selectors. It's their approach, rob Key. Basically he's one of the selectors. He wants to know only one thing, me the number, you know, and it's got to be eighty five and over and plus. That's what he wants. He's asking how quick and Hull according to the speed gun on one hundred you know that other competition called one hundred nonsense? Really he was The speed gun clocked him at ninety miles an hour. Rob is interested all of a sudden, and they obviously like his angle left arm. They haven't had many left armers and that helps Old Basher the off spinner. They like the fact that his height and gives bounce. Never mind his results. They don't care about first class cricket in that way at all, and that's a really interesting point. They don't worry about the fact that he's virtually not played at all. Never Mind all these other seamers in England that have got three hundred first class wickets. They don't have the pace, they don't have that number, and they you know, they don't want them those players other than perhaps against in England to bowl there like Wokes like pots, or perhaps playing in New Zealand. Those are the only two places they'll use those bowlers. But they've severed that relationship with the county championship. They're saying Tests are different. That's not the same thing. And it's a huge change in selection because normally, when I played and when others played, you were rewarded with the Test team selection if you had got performances in first class. That's how you got on the team, wasn't it. It's the first thing that's put on the table in the selector's meetings. There are the averages, there are the performances, and then you select those from Really that's the judgment of where you sit on those averages. They'll throw in some other stuff about character and all that sort of thing, but they throw these guys together and then they see what happens. That's the Test team.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, the stats are important, of course, how people do perform in certain circumstances and that is significant, But it's an issue also of how you use a player. Does the captain want him in the team for a startoff? You don't know, does the coach want a certain player and a side and they may you know, they check those things out as well, don't they, And people get omitted. I mean you look at their white ball squad that's been named Bye Bye Johnny Bestow. I don't know whether we could afford to get rid of a Johnny Bearstow in New Zealand at the moment, but they can do it in England. Main Ali was coming to the end of his time. But they've got a whole lot of new names in there as well. And I suppose that is built on the same premise from the England point of view, because there white ball team isn't quite as successful as their test match team at the moment, is it.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, But that's why they've made all those changes. They're clearly moving on from that recent you know, the ODI World Cup where they were very poor and then the T twenty where they were kind of average, and they're saying that's not good enough and so a lot of players have been you know, overlooked. The coach was sacked, No Matthew Mott as you say, no Best omanally and lots of new names, but just you know, as far as the Test side is concerned, instead of just looking at the first class averages and using that is kind of a basis to have discussions, what's happened now? It seems to me is they say, and that they being I guess Rob Key, Brendan McCullum and I would have thought Stokes would have been in there fairly intimately as well, having quite important chats they are saying, it seems to me, what is our tea His team need to be successful to play in these conditions, and that's why then they go out and they look in the county Championships once they've decided, And that's why they want to get this Josh Hall into the setup. They they like certain things about him, his pace, they like his height, they like his left arm, and then they bring him in and to their atmosphere and not judging him, and they they have their coaches and their medical stuff and so on. They want to see him at their nets and they'll advance them and they'll modify them quite a bit. But they are a horses for courses approach, that's my point. When they went to Pakistan, they wanted three spinners, they wanted a wrist spinner. Who did they bring Inbashir Ryan Armored Hartly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, then they went to India and they wanted spin bowlers. I mean Rayan arm had got a five for in Pakistan and then he wasn't used after that. He hasn't. He's been around the one day, but he hasn't been playing in tests much since Pakistan. They when they went to India, they wanted to have tall bowlers with a high release like Axapatel even though he sort of skids of that tubit, and they wanted them to be quick and flat like Jadasia. So they got Shoa basher And and he wasn't even playing for Somerset at the time. He wasn't even selected for their for his county. And then they wanted Tom Hartley, who was a left arm orthodox as you mentioned, ahead of Liam Dawson who was playing really well. And Tom Hartley went to India but he hasn't been used again, and now they're looking at Australia where they want eighty five plus miles an hour. Paul Quicks out goes Andersen, Broad would have gone too if he hadn't retired, and incomes Atkinson and Stone and you mentioned tongue. Wood is shorter, but he's much quicker and he's skiddy. And now they've got Josh Hallan there. So it's interesting that's horses for courses. I'm not sure how it is for Ryan Armored now he's not quite there in the mix now. I'm not quite sure how it is for Tom Hartley. I don't think they're abandoned, but I wonder how it feels, And I wonder how it feels for all those medium fast bowlers in England getting loads of wickets, but a ten k's a bit slow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing from Ryan Armer's point of view, I just wonder whether he might not be athletic enough in the field. He's a fairly solidly built lad. I don't recall him being a draft horse, but you know that may be a factor in terms of his outfielding when some of them maybe a little bit sharper and a little bit better in the end the outer But you know that's a harsh judgment on a player who's performances with the Paul have done a good job for the England side. But you know it's a valid point. They are prepared to take horses for courses and you mentioned the pace and the tall players that they've got that may well be thinking behind this Josh Hull because his figures certainly don't recommend him at the moment. Because they've got the final matches of the World Test Championship coming up. England have a New Zealand of course coming out here and I think they have a series against Pakistan as well. But they're just pushing up towards that percentage level that is needed. They've still got a father of work to do. India and Australia are the finalists at the moment. New Zealand are third and they've got a real challenge on England are forty one percent to Australia is sixty two percent. I know it's crazy, and I remember Garth Galloway saying on a previous program about how do you pick a finalist out of a percentage? Why don't you get a semi final scenario and then a final scenario with the top four teams which doesn't seem to work out. But all in all it's well at the bottom, we don't really worry about those. It's the top four sides which are the moment India, Australia, New Zealand and England. But that can change with the amount of Test match cricket that's coming up between now and Christmas. When New Zealand play in December against England in our conditions.
Speaker 3: Yeah dead right. England are the big movers, aren't they. They playing against the West Indies and then Sri Lanka and then US, they'll feel that they've got a chance to move quite significantly up that list, and they have already. It's not really a league as it once, the Test champion where you play each other, it seems you know, that's a that's a real prop for me. It's a bit of a problem. They wanted to get the whole cycle over if they can within two years, it would take them longer the way they go at the moment. But it seems a bit of a I wouldn't say desperate attempt, but to bring some context to what can be dead tests. You know, if you've already ahead, then you've you've got only one test left. That doesn't really mean much. So they've tried to make those those dead tests mean something and it kind of culminates in this final just one knockout match and you mentioned guards. Should it be more than one test? Well? Probably?
Speaker 2: I think should it be in England?
Speaker 3: Should it be in England? We saw India playing Australia in England last time, didn't we for the final? That seemed a bit weird to me.
Speaker 2: I don't think it really matters. I mean, England and India produced the the biggest crowds, don't they. So I guess it's got to go to India at some stage. But I think that you know, because you don't play everybody in this championship, why don't they have it in two groups of five? You've got ten, they played that off. Then you've got semifinals out of the each group and then a final, because what they want is a final, don't they They want a big show piece. Well you can have two semi finals which are part of the showpiece as well, and then the grand final. But that of course.
Speaker 3: Challenge like a World Cup, like a World Cup with groups.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but that all challenges the Indian concept of cricket, which is all about the IPL. And you know you're allowed a Test match in the end of May as soon as we finished our IPL. And the fact that the chairman of the ICC now comes from India has just been voted in takes over from the New Zealand man who there it comes in October. So you know that's always the challenges for the people who have the responsibility to run the game. But you know, we will still attempt to get ourselves into the Test Match Championship.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddle Jeremy Coney on the front foot some.
Speaker 2: Sad news in New Zealand cricket circles this week. Well, a couple of weeks ago I learned of the passing of Test Match umpire Day quested he stood in thirty one matches in New Zealand. He was a TV umpire in fifteen matches. He had a test period of nineteen ninety five to two thousand and one and was often a TV umpire and he stood in eighteen Women's One Day Internationals. Seventy eight years of age. Dave quested I really enjoyed his companies. I saw a lot of him around the cricket scene because not only did he do test matches, but he did domestic cricket and they were traveling umpires around for that and he was one of those guys. He had a great sense of humor. He listened a bit to the radio. He used to have me on about times I might have criticized umpiring decisions and it was a lot of fun and it didn't take himself too seriously. So it's sad his passing untimely really to not be able to see Dave Quested again. I don't know if you had much to do with him as Jerry.
Speaker 3: No, not a lot was. I mean, I do remember him when I was playing for Wellington. I don't think he had many tests actually as an umpire. Did he in a men's game at that stage. They died five yeah, did he, Yes, But I mean he was always it is always easy to get on with. I think that was the thing. And he didn't get overly offended you if you happened to speak out of the corner of your mouth about what you thought was an LBW decision. So and all mine were out of course. So he you know, he you know, no, that's said, that's sad news. I didn't know that, actually, I have to say so.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, yeah, fond memories of Dave Quested passed away at the age of seventy eight. In his im cricket terms. Our interest of courses in the World Test Championship and the match against Afghanistan, they've left Rashid Khan out of the Afghanistan squad. Can't understand that pretty five years of age, five Tests and thirty odd wickets at an average of twenty two. I think he's run for out of the ass at times in that part of the world. But you know, it could be them just trying out new players, because there are a number in the squad that I haven't seen, and there's a couple of players who were successful in the World T twenties that have been omitted as well. Haven't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting one. I just very quickly looked up the preliminary squad that Afghanistan have announced. There are only three players who played against New Zealand in that T twenty at Providence and beat them comfortably by about eighty or ninety runs, didn't they. And you know there's there's the opener, a guy called Ibrahim Zadran, who's who's in this test squad as well. There's the number three which is Omarzai, and then there's Gilberdine Naive as the other in the last one. He was that guy bold, medium pace and batted a bit and he was the bodybuilder, you know, every time he used to pose after he got a wicket with his muscles, you know, in his arms at the high tensile shapes and in his arms, he wouldn't have fitted into my shirt. So but but all the players that we kind of think of in that T twenty side, like Gerbaz the hitter at the opening, Rashid Khan, Mohammad Nabi Mudjib the off spinner, the left left arm legie, none of those are in that squad. Navin al Huk and Feruki the left arm swing bowler who opened the bowling and made a meal of us. Neither of those quicks are in that side either, so it's a very different looking Test side, two different teams. Maybe the others are off playing franchise quads.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's lots of obscure franchise leagues that these guys could be playing, even if they're not one of the main ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have one in carboor I can't imagine when you see all the shots on television that you see of Afghanistan, I can't imagine there's a cricket league going on in Carble, but there is. And yeah, I'm sure Rushied Carmel return at the age twenty five. The other thing that will happen is that these white fans are heading off to the World T twenty women's events in Dubai. Boy, have they got a pool to play in? Their matches are going to be against India on October the fourth, Australia on the eighth, Sri Lanka the twelfth, and Pakistan on the fourteenth. And they've had trouble against all those sides in recent matches. They've got a challenge, haven't they.
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, is it rather odd that the two ranked top sides in the world and T twenty are in the same side of the draw. That's Australia who are current holders and India. But however, at the moment at rank number one in that format that they're in the boat on the same side, aren't they normally separated?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they've had to make a change of course, because they've shifted from Bangladesh to the Emirates. England and South Africa, I guess would be the top ranked sides in the other pool Bangladesh, Scotland and West Indies a part of it, and they too, West Indies are starting to come up. They having a series at the moment, so you know there's a lot on for these sides of the world. T twenty New Zealand have got a lot of work to do and that in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see they've invited what they invite, they're inviting you. I hope you're you're going along words, they're putting on something to eat mate, you'll be And there's a week and a half at Bank's Peninsula too, so if you go. So that's fantastic love that you and clear.
Speaker 2: Love right there's a there's a lunch on at the Headley Pavilion in so I think I'll fly down to christ have to pay. Doesn't say if he has included.
Speaker 4: The look the group.
Speaker 3: It's as far as I can make out the group stage that you just mentioned New Zealand. There are five in each group. They've got four games New Zealand. The top two progress immediately to the Semis. They don't have a super sex or whatever phase at all in the Women's World Cup, so straight through New Zealand players. You say, two games in Dubai and two games in Charger. Those are the two venues for the World Cup. Three of New Zealand games start at three am I imagine that's New Zealand time. And then one game they've got at eleven pm. So they've got three night games, in other words, and one day game. If I look, if New Zealand can't show up and just show something to all of us, just a bit new, then you'd have to reading out those names. They're playing against wads. You'd have to rate their chances. It's a bit slim to get through to the Semis, but you'd like to, you'd like to see some progress wouldn't you in skill and determination? If you look at the way they've folded under pressure in other World Cups, remember that one that effort in South Africa. Yes, mentally they just got to be a bit more brave. You know what sort of people they are.
Speaker 2: The thing is, I think that the top players, the leaders in the group, have to really stand up and be consistent, don't they. We've got a limited pool to choose from, and the top players have got to lead the way and show the way throughout this competition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not be first of all, not be timid or frightened or the other thing you tend to do is you then become excessively bold or reckless. Those we've got to somehow find a middle ground to be a bit more thoughtful, very determined and are very calculated kind of play. I think with that kind of arrangement you've described, not having perhaps the depths that of other sides. My memories of the Men's t twenty in the uae AS, the day games are very tricky. New Zealand's got one of the forward a day game, every side winning the toss and the day bold first. Why the pictures were very slow and a bit uneven and then at night when the dew came down, the ball skiddered on and batting became much easier. Ossie won that T twenty World Cup if you remember, against Us in the final, and they won all their day daytime day game tosses, so that really helped. So good luck to them. You know. The New Zealand side will no doubt talk about it, but it's a tough draw having Ossi and India against us. Just hope they show some metal and a bit more skill.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Waddle and Cody.
Speaker 2: Finally, this week cricket humor has stood the test of time. I'm not sure I've heard after dinner speakers in many sports that can match the history of the game of cricket. This week I've trawled the archives the dusty label shelf, as old time radio jocks used to say, and discovered a gym from a speech Frank Tyson delivered at a testimonial dinner in Auckland many years ago in the company of Tony Grigg. Tyson started by talking about his views on the origins of the game.
Speaker 5: Julius Caesar led the first touring side to England. He went through undefeated, notably because the opposition seemed to been led by Boudica.
Speaker 4: But he did have a pretty good side, of any useful side.
Speaker 5: He had Agrippa, a very good slip catcher, Hadrian, the famous stonewaller, and he is said that they were playing one day against the twelve hundred club, and it just shows you how much they were playing lords against the twelve hundred club. And it just shows you how traditional this cricket is. You know, the twelve hundred Club from that to day, that day to this have still not updated by name. They're still known as the MCC. And there he was. He's around in the middle batting with his great friend Marcus Brutus, and Brutus ran him out and as he he's going back to pavilion, he termed the season. He said it to Brute, which means, I only call for a signal, you swine.
Speaker 4: I can see where you have some driving. Thomas's in.
Speaker 5: And so the game went on bread in this spirit of sportsmanship. In eighteen eighty two, Australia were playing England at the Oval when W. G. Grace was leading England and a young batsman by an MSP Jones was batting low down in.
Speaker 4: The order for Australia on a.
Speaker 5: Wet wicket, when a ball kicked up a divot and w g was feeling it. Short leg invited him to go down the wicket and pat it down, and when he did, he ran him out. So the game went on, as I said, with this true spirit of sportsmanship, until about the eighteen eighties, when a famous all round called W. Barnes was playing for England and the captain of Australia at that time or was a man by named MacDonald, and Barnes, for some unknown reason, took exception to McDonald tried to hit him on the nose, and quite understanding understandably McDonald ducked, whereupon Barnes hit a brick wall behind him, fractured his hand and took no further part in the series, which was a tragedy. Had taken five wickets and the square one hundred in the previous game. So you see, ladies and gentlemen, part of your success is tied up with the fact that you produce people with a great deal of character and a great deal of determination to follow their principles. It's produced people lords like Lord Tennyson, Lord Cobham, Governors of Bengal like Jackson.
Speaker 4: It's produced.
Speaker 5: Other people from other walks of life, like Sammy Carter of Australia, who was an undertaker. It's produced pigeon fanciers who were opening bats. It's produced all round us who were so like statues. But someday once said in the outer at Melbourne Boyley, I wish.
Speaker 4: You were a statue and I was a pigeon.
Speaker 5: It's produced a diversity of games situations, such as the time in India when Ray Jordan was batting HM.
Speaker 4: And he went into.
Speaker 5: The first ball he received, he played forward to it went off his patter and he was caught it short leg and the feeling side went up and Nempire said that's out. And Ray said, but I didn't hit it, and Nampire said, in that case you're out.
Speaker 4: There'll be w mister Jordan.
Speaker 2: I it.
Speaker 5: It has produced characters like Frederick Seward Truman, a great man, a person who had a great bowler, and the person who had implicit.
Speaker 4: Faith in himself.
Speaker 5: It is said that I don't know how true it is, but it's reputed that fred was once stopped for speeding by a policeman and the policeman said when he stopped him.
Speaker 4: Mister Truman, ah hah.
Speaker 5: Fred Truman, the English fast bowler, said, mister Truman, you were nearly driving as fast as your bowl.
Speaker 4: But Fred looked at his sad nave you wonder the bloody won't caught me.
Speaker 5: For instance, I once played against west Hall and everyone asked me what my experience of west Hall was, and I say, well, he's undoubtedly the fastest bowler I've never faced. I was playing at Acrington on one occasion I took five wickets and over including the hat trick.
Speaker 4: On my side lost.
Speaker 5: West Hall was on the opposite side, and in that afternoon I faced him for two bulls when I was out both times, but.
Speaker 4: I I kept on. I don't know why.
Speaker 5: When I first played league cricket in Middleton, uh the curator of the ground on which I played in the Central Ancial League was something of a fatalist.
Speaker 4: Every time I went in, he used to start the roller up I I I was playing well.
Speaker 5: On one occasion, I recall very well and instead of facing my statutory one ball, I faced three.
Speaker 4: It astonished the crowd.
Speaker 5: The first ball that I got I was hit on the pads us the umpire, I said afterwards, when they appealed, it would have missed like stump. It would have hit middle, but it would have missed leg. The second one I edged into the slips and I was dropped. And the third one removed all shadow of doubt from the observers to my batting abilloty.
Speaker 4: It removed all three stumps from the ground.
Speaker 5: As I was going off the ground, we had a little chap use seats in the front row of the pavilion.
Speaker 4: Used to wear a little choker in the flat hat. And then looked at me and he said, by gum. Frankie said, you were looking to make a book.
Speaker 2: Wonderful stories from the late Frank Tyson. I mean, we're guys Auckland about forty odd years ago, so a lot of fun. He was a He was a lovely guy, Frank Tyson. Although he was a fearsome man. Wasn't he the pace that he could bowl at?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, he was very quick, very quick, And I thought he's an intelligent man, as you can tell from that that speech too. I mean, where did where on earth did you find it?
Speaker 2: It's off the dusty label shelf, hidden in.
Speaker 3: The Okay right, Yeah, well there's no speech.
Speaker 2: No, I've got I've got some more of that. We'll plan on another occasion. So yeah, a lot of fun going to talk to you, Jerry. Next week we'll be previewing the Test match against Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Sure. Well, my cheer, John Us. Thanks Jerry, Jerio Summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, a'd be listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio