Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks ed B.
Speaker 2: Hi, Welcome on into the sports FX podcast. My name is Darcy Waldgrave. It is a Thursday. It is the thirteenth of feb twenty twenty five. This is your home of all the sports news you need to know in a bite sized package. And coming up on today's at Fix will be joined by Jeff Brown. He's the bid lead for Mana pacifica yet another consortium king to get involved in the Narl. No, not from christ Church like the other three, but this one based in Aukla. Will find out why, where, how who all of that? With mister Jeff Brown joining us shortly, I've got some opinion around the life and times of boxer Joe Parker. Found out today that Alexandra Ussek is going to retire. His next big fight is going to be against the winner of Dubois versus Parker. A chance to ascend to the top of world heavyweight boxing awaits and joining us in the chamber is Elliott Smith enzme's voice of rugby. As we toss around a couple of the big sports stories of the day. That's what we're up to enjoy in other news and in sport today. Well FeNiS coach gian Carlo Ataliano hopes to have his new import on the pitch for next weekend's KIWI Darby and Football's and Men's A League. Attacking midfield at Chico Giralda so joins Wellington after being loaned out for a second time by his Malaysian club. Ataliano, who's optimistic the Portuguese player will feature against Auckland FC next weekend, outlines the new acquisition's attributes.
Speaker 3: Technically a very good player if you go through his career, was of Sporting Lisbon, I'm Track Frankfurt and played four five seasons in total in Portugal.
Speaker 4: So really looking forward for him to get ready and contribute to the team.
Speaker 2: Crusader's coach Rob Penny insists his plans for James O'Connor are far from set in stone, after naming the former Wallaby on the bench for tomorrow night's Super Rugby Pacific opener. Twenty one year old Taha Camerada will start at first five against the Hurricanes.
Speaker 5: We know what James will bring. We were trying to set Tahara up to give him the best opportunity to get on in the group and he showed what he was capable of and we've continued to do that. But James's time will come, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: And heid on his coach Jamie Joseph has caught him a favor from an old friend. Ahead of tomorrow's Super Rugby match against the Waratahs in Sydney. Current Spring Box assistant Tony Brown has appeared at training ahead of their season opener. Joseph says he needed help from a trusted source.
Speaker 5: He's obviously a big part of this club. Played one hundred games for the Hondas, very successful coach, continues to be a successful coach at the top end of the game. Just getting his eyes really and his experience leading.
Speaker 1: We've gone just the ticket. It's Sports Fix News Talks Ivy.
Speaker 2: It's a warm welcome now to Jeff Brown. He's the big lead for the consortium set up to get another New Zealand based team in the NRL. This time Mana Pacifica is going to come out of Auckland.
Speaker 6: Hi, Jeff, hid, I trust you're well and well you must have a lot of action around you at the moment with this concept of Mana Pacifica a new NRL team, I suppose, first and foremost, where did this come from?
Speaker 4: Well, first off, it's long of a jew. It's something that stems from probably over I think thirty forty years of rugby league PACIFICA. I'm sort of started here predominant in Auckland and across New Zealand with a lot of migrants coming across from the islands to pursue a life to help those back home in the islands. But along our journey a lot of these families had kids that picked up footballs and started playing playing sport in one of particulars, obviously rugby league. And you know a lot of these at these Polynesian families, these kids went on to play for clubs right across Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and obviously they've played a bit in the Pacific, but not too much. And the ones that were based head did really, really well and became a few of them became kiwis for I think Fred R. Koy early stages. You know, he is born Salmon and all the rest that we're here as well, not just sar Warns, there were a number of players that have represented New Zealand in the national the game of rugby league. How this stender is we're thirty forty years down the track now and obviously with the Warriors entering the enter our competition and a lot of PACIFICA families were part of that. We've sort of been working alongside, you know, a number of the governing bodies here. I've worked fourteen years in the space of international so working alongside Rugby sal More and also working alongside the other Pacific nations and we've sort of been helping out a number of clubs and obviously working in the international space, and it's just the opportunity with expansion and then we established this group called Mana Pacifica and there's a lot of experience people behind it, but more importantly we're passionate about providing Pacifica an ownership model in a sense, but more importantly contributing to the game and particularly the NRL.
Speaker 2: There's a chance that consortium fatigue might set in. This is another one. We know we've got three in the South Island. Now we've got one up here in Auckland. What makes this any more likely to be introduced to the NRL JET.
Speaker 4: I've actually met with a few of the other bids in South Island and as I said, I've been involved in the international space for a while now and even in the community capacity, so we've we've seen what the game can provide PACIFICA. But more importantly, having I'm born in Auckland, raised here, I've played both both rugby league and rugby union, and i played another other sports as well for Auckland. But I think the big thing is right now that the game's going through growth, and obviously pacific is a huge part of that. I think fifty percent plus is now within the NRL and that's growing. The numbers are growing, particularly in the in the in the in the sort of the youth area. So the future looks right for Pacifica in the NRL. But more importantly, it just comes down to I mean I've traveled a lot for work, I've played sport nationally and through my travels, you know we're talking about Auckland business. It's it's just a bigger city, you know, one point seven million people. Wellington's got four hundred thousand plus criture to four hundred thousand plus. It just makes sense for us that you know, Auckland cancer stained a team and there's questions around the Warriors. Well, the Warriors have been around thirty years now, you know they're they're established, and they know where they're going, where they're heading and under you know, ownership with the one owner. Now, I think the Warriors are going to do fantastic. What we believe is another team in Auckland is only going to lift the game where there is sustainability the numbers. I mean, as I said to you that rugby rugby's taking a bit of a duty itself and right now rugby league thriving. You only have to look at the Pacific influence across the international game. As I said on part of Armor, we've seen the growth of our nation with limited resources to make a Grand final on the World Cup. Now that's huge. And you know, in the context of the game, and Tom is just flying off the seat at the moment, they're sleeping giants that are just doing huge things in the game. Cook Islands are not far behind that neither was of nation. So we believe that at Auckland bid would would lift the game, but also provides the sustainability because we've got a lot of kids in leaving this country. We've got a lot of young people leaving New Zealand to pursue a career in Australia. And look there's nine nine clubs in Sydney, is four clubs in Queensland, two in Brisbane. I don't think it's a I don't think it's a case of I can you know to in Auckland. I preally believe it's a matter of providing a model that can sustain and even hold our talent and stop this ext tous of young kids because we've been part of it. I've been working with young coaches, young teams, and I'm not the only one the other nations and we're losing I think it's say one hundred and fifty to two hundred kids a year just from the Auckland and probably the wider some of the other regions. And that's a lot of talent to be losing here in our chedor tiff.
Speaker 2: Is it solely PACIFICA Are you only looking at employing pollowand Salmon, Marty new Way and took the loans and the like as well.
Speaker 4: Look, we are a pacifica entity we will be PACIFICA owned as well, and obviously we're leanning on investments to keep us sustainable. We want to employ as many Polynesian people as possible indigenous, but at the same time, we all agreed that it can pete in this competition like we do in the international space as PACIFICA entities, we have to get the best people for the job. So there's a lot of people involved that we're bringing into the PACIFICA and you know we've air marked then we're but we're talking to very you know, we're talking to top top coaches in the NRM at the moment, and we know we're in really good stead at the moment with with with with the coaching UH team that we're looking at for if when successful for this this bid. And so yeah, athletes, but the athletes.
Speaker 2: It's not a purely PACIFICA line, is it.
Speaker 4: Look, we we want to be Pacific only at the moment. And I was asked this from the very beginning. But what we're what we've you know, and we've been telling people this, it's a Pacific Indigenous. So we're talking about kids that are of PACIFICA and Indigenous descent. Moldy descent. Now, a lot of our kids, as I said to you, have mixed breed that We've got a lot of our kids that are sort of star on Ossie, you know, the tongue and Ossie they're they're tongue and Kiwi. Uh, they're they're Cook Island French. Look, my boys play footy, so my actually have kids that play regular league. And my kids are simone Croatian. So you know, we're certainly looking at PACIFICA and Indigenous kids. And obviously a lot of our kids these days no longer full blooded. They were myths of you know, nationalities and the heritage. But our push is towards you PACIFICA and Indigenous. But yes, certainly I will look at other nations provided they do have you know, heritage of Pacific or and Indigenous descent.
Speaker 2: No pure blooded Scotsman in your side?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I got as you know, I'm brown brown, I have someon heritage, but I also have a bit of Scottish heritage and I can't be Yeah, you can't be full blood in Scottish if you wanted to play for our team. I know. It's We're not prejudice, it's just that's how that's that's the whole reason why we're doing this is to empower the Pacific and to ensure that we're providing you know, more of a cotunities in the space. There's a lot of teams that can play for as you know, there's the seventeen other teams they're providing you know, NRL and and positions our pushes towards Indigenous and Pacific. So that's how that's our mentor.
Speaker 2: Now on that note, Jeff, thanks very much for joining us, Papa duly Jeff Brown, wishing to the best of like for this looking forward with keen interest to see how it develops.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Darcy.
Speaker 1: This is Sportsfix, your daily does of sports news. How in by news Talks.
Speaker 2: It seems like an age ago, just on a decade where Joe Parker picked up the WBO heavyweight world title he thought Andy Ruiz Junior at Victor Arena in Auckland. It was a points decision through twelve rounds and it catapulted young Joe to the top of the world. Things are looking reasonably good until eighteen when he lost to Anthony Joshua and then the next fight Dilly and White touched him up again. He lost in twelve rounds. Most people were writing, Joe Parker off, It's the end of the line. You're a journeyman. You probably shouldn't have picked up that WBO title in the first place. When you're gonna call it quits, you're only doing his self damage. Joe Parker refused to listen. Strung together a series of wins, two of them against Derek Trezaura. Things were looking up, and then Joe Joyce stopped him in his tracks. Since then, Joseph Parker is a changed fighter. He's a changed man. His physique, his attitude, his understanding of how to pace a fight has gone through the roof. His last two scraps against Deontay Wilder and against Jilie Joan were quite something else again over twelve rounds. He now finds himself in just over a week fighting Daniel Dubois and the reward for victory there. Reigning heavyweight champion of the World, Alexander Usek has decided his career ends in two more fights. The next time he steps into the squared circle will be against the winner of Parker and Dubois. Usk is quite the weapon he fought and beat Britain's Tyson Fury to win all four of the major heavyweight titles last May, first undisputed champion heavyweights in a quarter of a century. He gave up the IBF belt, but he retained the unified WBC, WBA and WBO championships with another victory over Tyson Fury. The upcoming Parker Dubois fight has the IBF belt on the line, which means whoever wins against Alexander Usek will become the undisputed heavyweight world champion. With the help of strength and conditioning, trainer and nutrition George Lockhart and coach Andy Lee, I believe that explosive Joseph Jurassic Parker has never been in a better position to climb to the everest of world heavyweight boxing.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfix.
Speaker 2: That is a warm welcome to the chamber too, Elliott Smith. Jason Pine's gone a walk about, but that's okay. We have a more than adequate replacement, Elliot, Welcome on.
Speaker 3: And what a please you to be in the chamber, does he?
Speaker 2: Let's talk about of rugby. Since you are mister Rugby, let's face the voice of rugby here at n Z and me Warren Gatlin, the long and continuing saga of Warren Gatlan. Finally he's he's chopped at short well he has, or Welsh Rugby has. He's no longer going to be coaching.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Sensible decision when you look at the results. But now his daughter is having a bit of a thrash at the players, at the media and everybody else. I don't know if Warren to be over he pleased about there?
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure he needs his daughter speaking on his behalf. I think his he's always been able to advocate for himself. I guess this is just family doing what family do. And we've seen it before with athletes and various things when their family come out to protect them, and it's a natural thing to do. You don't want to see your family member come under pressure, be it in the media or whatever it might be online, social media, et cetera. So I think that's just natural. But if you take a step away, I think Warren Gatland has made a decision that only could be made really, and to be honest, credit to him because he could have stuck in there. Douggas Hills and got to pay out, but he should have left last year.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right if he should have want a chance to come back, I want a chance to rebuild. But mentioned the editorial yesterday, Welsh Rugby shouldn't go back to the well, they've got to pick a Welshman, they've got to pick a younger guy because the game has moved on. So respect to Warren because he's had an amazing career.
Speaker 3: But you know, well what's that saying? You can't go home again? And you look at Eddie Jones who has been to the Wallerbs again. He's now in Japan and Japan's not really clicking with them. You know, Warren Gatlin took Wales to a certain level. A lot of that generation of players is now retired and there are bigger issues at play in Wales as well. But when you come back in after a few years away, you think it's going to be an ability to slip in like it used to be. That is very rarely the case and whatever support it, but be Jose Mourino has done it at Chelsea a couple of times and various other things. It is very very rare for it to work out as success.
Speaker 2: The second time, and I suppose one thing about his daughter saying something. It does, even though I disagree as you do as well, but it does bring a personal touch to what's happening. And sometimes we do forget that the people behind these decisions and behind the coaching, they're actually human beings, flesh and blood. They've got emotions, they've got feeling. We don't get a lot of that from the coaches. So to have the daughter go hold on that, I understand.
Speaker 3: You totally, and you're right. You see these people on the TV screen and they've become avatars and people you see in almost TV characters in a way, rather than human people. And there is a human side to it, as there was, you know that Ian Foster all Black Starga a couple of years ago, and various things. These are people, they have feelings, and they've got family members as well, and it's natural at the top when your family members are feeling the pressure a bit, whether that's in the media or real life, that you want to put an arm around them and protect them.
Speaker 2: You know, Bryn Gatlin, I think Brin will be as stoic as this old man and saying nothing, Hey, let's move on. To our rugby league. We've got Moana Pacifica. Now there's another consortium that want Mana Pacifica and it goes on and on this time. Is there any strength in this concept or not?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, drop the oh for awesome or awesome and Mata Pacificas come to the party. I don't think they're going to get lead into the party, but they're knocking on the door and it's a healthy spot for the NR.
Speaker 2: Rold Sorry Flanders, he's locked the door shut, mate, No one can get from the.
Speaker 1: Door.
Speaker 3: Never shut with Peter Landi's he says one thing and is busy conspiring and doing another. The Perth door was shut about three months ago. Then it's come a jar again. It looks like Perth might be back in the mix as well for the nineteenth team in the NRL. I wouldn't rule it out, but I just do not think it's probably on the agenda of the NRL, which I think is a shame.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't go for the Marter Pacifica concept. I think the better concept is going to the South Island, going to christ Church, going to that new christ Church Stadium and setting up a team there. Perhaps it's the twentieth team around about twenty thirty. I think that is healthy for rugby league. I don't know that a Manta Pacifica concept is needed. Look at every NRL team there are PACIFICA players right across everywhere.
Speaker 2: I know there's like half of the players Pacific origin. So it's stable that. And the thing is ken Auckland actually hold and treasure another team playing sport in a trans Tasman competition. There's just not enough eyeball, there.
Speaker 3: Aren't in o fie balls and at some point you know, it's been hard to sub same one in our roll team. When the Warriors aren't playing well, they don't get great crowds. Hasn't been the case the last couple of seasons. They've had fantastic crowds and will again this season, no doubt about it. But I don't think the city can sustain to and in ROL teams. Look if they're looking to may you put matter PACIFICA somewhere in the Pacific and have a Fijian team or something like that, and how's it there? Like the drawer and Super Rugby, they're on all for it, but I don't think Auclands can have a second version of Water PACIFICA essentially with thirteen players.
Speaker 2: Before you beat that out of the chamber. Elliott being the voice of rugby here at n z M E. Who do you like for Super Rugby Pacific twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: Hard to go past? The Blues again have retained a lot of the squad lost to care that you are in a couple of injured players at the moment as well, but you had in Boat and Barrett and what he can do into a backline that is already successful. I think the Blues will be there thereabouts once again. The Chiefs as well. And I here's a smoky fore you. I reckon the war Tars are going to do really well this year. Like Joseph of course I saw will let you. He looks very impressive on the end of you year tour. Got some other players that have ditched the Rebels now there's no rebels to play it and come to the Warritars. I think they're going to be pretty handy as well. That's my top three.
Speaker 2: I just love the fight between now too Fulcrum's our two pivots and Damien McKenzie and Boden Barrett. They're both playing at full back in the first Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pleasure, this isn't the one I asked for, but it's the one they're going to have to play.
Speaker 2: It on your Elliott catch up a Jean, So may you have a fantastic day and thanks for your time.
Speaker 3: Been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda. It's Sportsfix with Jason Vine and Darcy Walter Grave.
Speaker 2: And that's it for Sports Fix. Thanks for joining us. If you want to do this every weekday, will you can just subscribe it to The Fix. It'll come directly to your inbox Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Oh and don't forget to tell your friends and family and get them to subscribe too. And if you want a bit of live sport engagement by all means even to eight Monday to Friday, it is Sports Talk with myself or Jason Pine and it's all about Piney over the weekend. Wow, you know what to do weekend sport between twelve midday and three pm Saturday Sunday. That's it from us. Look after yourself, a wonderful rest of your day and we'll catch you tomorrow here on The Fix.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk sed B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio