Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from News Talks, that'd.
Speaker 2: Be Gridding's rocket would ever be one name is Marcus hit or Midnight Tonight. I hope it's good. We're your If it's not good, I hope it Gid's better train yet well, goodness, I could say something ridiculously. I'm not going to do that. How are you here till twelve? Get in touch if you want to be a part of it, the number eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you want to text nine to nine two. If you've got breaking news, let us know that breaking news is like to keep people up to date with what's going on throughout the course the next four hours. So if that's you, if you've got updates for stuff that's important, let me know phone that straight through. Oh, eight hundred eighty to eighty nineteen nine two detect. If you have got some information, it would be great to hear from you. My phone box's not up there, you Denimo. So eighteenth that's the day I just try to work out with the data is eighteenth January February March. Nice day down here. Eighteenth. That'd be the temperature as well. By the way, sure, so get in touch if you want to be a part of the show. As I say, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. By the way, the farmer's shops don't know if you're cross this. They were without there. Well it's happening more often, isn't it. They are without their damn terminals today because of the whole situation with an outage. So you might want to say something about that. That's not gonna be the topic that I'm just mentioning it. I know we've got a fairly big cash only contingent out there. Farmers stores reduced to cash only operation due to cyber attack. They want to sound mean spirited, but who would cyber attack Farmers again on Saturday and the retailer unable to take electronic payments in store. The retailer's phone also appeared to be down, with their stores unable to take calls. Well, most people have given up calling retail shops, but you have that today, so that might have food for thought for some of you antie getting rid of money people. Customers have been frustrated by the disruption. One customer stelling telling Stuff she went to buy a juicer at a christ Extra on the weekend, but was told she could not redeem the gift voucher she had. I was told I couldn't use my voucher on the website was down, which was urgently been looked at. They told me they would contact me. She added that multiple attempts to contact Farmers had failed. As I heard from them. I tried to phone as I hadn't heard from I tried to phone Farmers. Every phone is engaged throughout christ Church and you can't hear anyone on their OW eight hundred number. There you go, there you go. I want to watch one of the Juicer for seems to be a funny time with the yeed of by juicen't it March Get in Touch? By name is Marcus HITDL twelve o'clock. Oh, by the way, now Easter not far away textually also on the school holidays as time, which actually I don't love. I don't love Easter coinciding with the school holidays. I'd rather have my holidays separate anyway. That's just me. But you know, there'll be all sorts of those ridiculous topics about Easter eggs, about the Cadbury ones, and they can't put two halves together. They've got the machines, so they've got to buy the Regina ones whatever they called ow the Rainbow and Fictionary ones. Of course to the Cadbury chocolate tasting so waxy, and of course chocolate prices through the roof, so Easter eggs are becoming more expensive. The price of a cream eg has raised thirty five percent in two years. They were a dollars seventy now they're two dollars thirty, So chocolate's up through the roof. However, I've always been of the peace of mind that the real New Zealand Easter egg is the humble Fijoa shaped like an egg, arrives as time of the year. So my question to you, right, and I'm genuinely curious about the answer to this one. Fijoas probably New Zealand's adopted national fruit, and it seems to be the fruit in New Zealand that drives the most passion. With Facebook pages dedicated to fijoas and WhatsApp groups and Instagram accounts and TikTok account it's all about the Fijar. People love them, and people love them in such a way that they think that there's special love for the Fijara is unique. That they can love it in a way that no one else can love it. It's quite it's like the love of a child. So we are in Fijo a season. But I have one question for you about the fijoas because it's a fruit, it's extremely polarizing and I've never quite worked out why. So the question I want to ask you because I love them, I et a bucket of them. They let another bucket, they have a third bucket. But the question I have for you Fijo a people or people have used the other art Fijoa people, is you people that hate them?
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 2: What about the taste that you find so disappointing? That's not a question I've always wondered that. Have you never actually tried them? Or what would cause you to hate them so much? Because just like people love them and adore them, at the other side of the corner are people that have a very strong negative reaction to them. Could someone try and articulate that in words for me, and preferably now oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine, Why do you hate them so much? I know some people are super taste is they don't like coriander? Is that why you hate fijoas? Is it that kind of factor, the coriander factor? Did you have a bad experience with one other child? What is it? I've often wondered about this. You fijo a haters? Now's your chance, Marcus. The reason I hate fijoas is dot dot dot dot. By the way, state hurry three close since one fifty this afternoon, No detoo is due to an accident. Thank you for the intel about that. So it's blocked between Waiter and Illinois North Tallanaki since two pm. So, yes, are you a super taste to why do you hate them? That's my question for you tonight thirteen past eight, Andy, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 4: We'll get a Marcus head.
Speaker 2: Are you good good?
Speaker 4: I moved here from the other side of the ditch or twenty five years ago, and I remember everyone talking about fijos and how they were the most amazing thing in the world, and I couldn't wait to try one. And when I tried it, I think the reason I didn't like it was the real gritty sort of texture about it. But now twenty five years on, I look forward to Fijo's season more than any other fruit ever.
Speaker 2: So the seeds must have reminded you of something, or there must have been that grittiness you didn't like. Maybe you're eating it wrong way the first time.
Speaker 5: Ey.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I.
Speaker 4: Still get their little grittiness, but it doesn't worry me now. I love them. I think they're the most amazing things.
Speaker 7: Ever.
Speaker 2: It's like the grip, the oyster andy, thank you, Jane, AND's Marcus. Why do you hate them?
Speaker 8: I don't know that I hate them so much. It's just it's a very persume, gritty chase. I don't know how to explain it. It's just it's I don't know. It's like that coriander situation. So I don't love coriander.
Speaker 2: It tastes more like something you'd wash your face with. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it tastes very like it's such a strong flavor, like a persume, And I just, yeah, I just can't do it. So you them, but you cannot, I can't.
Speaker 2: You tried one once and hate it, and now when you smell them or other people are eating them, it gives you a wobbly feeling. Is that the way it works for you.
Speaker 8: No, not at all. Like I love to smell them, I like I love to smell them. It's just the taste. It's just something about the fragrance of them that I can't I can't stomach. I just can't do it. It's also quite a sandy texture.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I met a politician once at the airport and she said to me she couldn't stand them because of the perfume taste. So that seems to be what people come back to, is that perfume may Yeah.
Speaker 10: I don't know what.
Speaker 8: I don't know how to explain it. It's just yeah, it's just like.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Thank you for that, m J.
Speaker 11: Marcus welcome, Hi Marcus, how are you darling?
Speaker 2: Good? Thank you MJ. Nice to hear from you.
Speaker 12: Good.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Oh my goodness. Can I just say, in the early nineties you came to KPMG and you're an m C and we had eye contacts and I've never forgotten it.
Speaker 2: Really Yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 13: I had the biggest crush on you for so.
Speaker 2: I do remember.
Speaker 7: I do remember that.
Speaker 2: I do remember that night. Was it like a quiz night or something or was.
Speaker 11: It a yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: You probably had a crush on me all this time too. We are actually Facebook friends, you know.
Speaker 5: Wow, don't worry about that.
Speaker 2: This is a lot to This is a lot to do. And I'm thinking it probably is the late nineties, not the early nineties? Am I right?
Speaker 8: It might have been?
Speaker 13: Actually, yes, it would have been the late nineties, Yes, of course it was. Yes, it was just before the millennium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd be all you'd be all busy doing Y two K, wouldn't you looking for a break from the old y two K?
Speaker 13: Well, I was in I was in recruitment, so I didn't really give a ship.
Speaker 7: You know, it will all go.
Speaker 2: Down, So was I by the sounds of things?
Speaker 13: Anyway, it's too rude anyway, Yes, hate them.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 13: Actually do they make you that's because we're on that rude topic. I wonder if they make you taste a second way? Not sure, but I personally love them fresh, don't mind than fresh lovely. I do get that when I think about it, I get that kind of funny, tingly feeling of like if you're gonna have exies, like like like a lemon that we're filling. But did your wine?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 12: Yeat?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So you hate them.
Speaker 13: I don't. I will eat them fresh, okay, as long as I don't get the spoon too close to the skins. If the spoon goes too close to the skin, then you get that whole thing.
Speaker 14: I like to just go in the middle, not too.
Speaker 15: Close to the edge.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Nice to hear it. Nice to rehear from your MJ. By the way, I am passionate about the fruit, but I will always say that I'll never just chop them and use a spoon. I'd always peel them, and that's a weird thing to do. I'll cut the ends off and peel the fijoa. I will take the skin off like staves off a barrel. It's probably six cuts, eight cuts with the ends. Find that way better. So that's me the spoon. Yeah, you do get the bitterness towards the end. Lizzie Marcus welcome.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Hi, it's here. How are you?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I really honestly can't stand for jars for some reason.
Speaker 7: Fruit.
Speaker 11: I love free. You know, I've got quite a sweet teeth, but every time I try the fee jars, they just really bitter and reap. The texture too, is a weab it. Gridley, I feel my opinion, I can.
Speaker 2: Understand the perfume. I've never thought that the texture was overly grainy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's just it's just I can't describe it. It's just to me, it just feels like, oh, I can't wait to get it out of my down my throat quickly.
Speaker 2: So will you still come? Will you still come across it and have an accidental encounter like something, It'll be in a freak sound or something you think, oh my god, it's okay.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've had to have it. Also when I when I go to my friends, you always make figura. You know that apple pie will make pie.
Speaker 16: Wow?
Speaker 2: I love that. That sounds great.
Speaker 11: Yes, but then I take a little weed peace just to be polite and put it up with ice cream or something. But yeah, I know. I do have all the other fruit though, but I just don't like FiOS or watermelons.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're a super taster because sometimes I think some with some people like how are you with cucumber?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 11: I hate cucumber. That's another thing I can't stand it.
Speaker 2: You might be a super taste because I think the super tastes when people eat watermelon, it tastes.
Speaker 11: Like, oh, it just tastes like, yeah, nothing, it's just all water and it's revolting.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So would that be the most unpleasant taste you've come across? Would be the fijoa?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Yeah, it would be the figure And we used to have trees when we were children. My parents had lots of fijoa and passion fruit trees, and I'd always take the passion fruits. And yet my whole other, my two brothers, and my mom and dad always were happy with the feature.
Speaker 2: What do you What do you like with grapefruit?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 11: No, I don't like grapefood either, even the ones in California the way too.
Speaker 2: Fisher wonder if you're a super taster.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it could be, but I love coriander.
Speaker 2: Do you what about broccoli and kale?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 11: I don't like kale. I'm okay with rock creek. Okay, kales too, wrinkley were hard or I don't know, it's just yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a funny kale stree once I got a juicer and I juiced like buckets of kale, and it gave no juice. Couldn't work that out, Never have. Twenty five past eight Johnny Marcus, welcome, Oh.
Speaker 19: You we've just started to click the features and a few of them are starting to drop. The flavor and aromatic compounds are they determined also by how they're grown and what conditions they're grown under, So like if they're grown under plastic in a tunnel house, they have a different flavor than once they're grown outside. And generally New Zealand everything's sort of grown out outside of the Bay of Plenty where I live. But yeah, the what they call the herbaceous aromas, Sorry about that, the flavors that the actual chemicals, you know, the alcohols in them, is the aromatic profile of all the peels and everything is what makes something smell the way it does. And some people have a real distaste for grapefruit and feedure and that there are you know, effects that can make it feel almost nauseated. So it doesn't affect me at all. But it's just quite an interesting thing that the flesh and the peel has a really distinct flavor.
Speaker 2: It seems that the smell separate from the taste. But it's the smell that freaks people out right.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, they call them ester compounds, right, and and you might have might have heard of a few of those things, but most of us wouldn't know, but we come across them like an industry. So there are certain jobs where you will smell something that smells like really really strong feature again and here at Mount Long and you like, there's a number of factories I've done working here and there, and you'll smell things like from the the pine plant where they may call the shampoos, the suffectants and the surfactants, like all of those are made in this massive condensing towel and they've got a processing plant and the waste that comes out of the pine it's really really strong. So all the trees that can't be exported to end up you know, in the process and made into surfactants and suffectants. Which is your washing carder and your your sunlike and your shampoos and any of us.
Speaker 2: Yep, nice to talk Johnny, Thanks so much for twenty seven past eight. We're looking for people that are really strongly opposed to FIJO is like they get freaked out by them. They mightn't be allergic to them. Such a polarizing thread. I've got tremendous texts from a lot of people here and that's great, as I should have on a big topic like this, but I'm just curious to know why people really do get freaked out by them. You might have something to say about that. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. The fijo is why they say, how are you polarized by them? A lot of people too, so we're actually sort of doing a bit of a side pivot onto polarizing fruit. A lot of people can't stand rock melon, and I guess that might be quite sort of that perfumed erometic smell as well, also with kind of freaky skin. I mean a lot of people in my life, but I've never met anyone that enjoys a rock melon skin. Anyway, get in touch, Marcus till twelve plan, it's Marcus. Good evening.
Speaker 6: You're welcome, Marcus. Yes, I'm another one of these people who can't stand the smell of fijos. They can't. It's kind of rip Helen.
Speaker 2: Well, people are strong on this, and I'm trying to think what my people saying via the tics. It's like sweet vomit.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like a really cheap persume. But I'm ament many years since I've actually eaten one. I'm actually prepared to give them another time.
Speaker 2: I don't think Helen saved them for us. I don't think they've changed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well maybe I have, but I thought you might be interested to know that they. I did come across a pi a liqueur, which I actually really enjoyed. I don't they still make it, but yeah, and I didn't have any problems without. I think it's this perfume thing about them.
Speaker 2: And where did you come across the figure? It's a strange thing to come across.
Speaker 6: I can't remember, but I was surprised when that previous caller described as bicker. And my memory of the Fijo was really sickly sweet. So individuals I.
Speaker 5: Know, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily know. I'd say sickly because they've got a tartness to them, haven't they. Would you eat a rock melon?
Speaker 6: I love that rock melon?
Speaker 2: Yep, I don't like watermelon? Note really well, no, I.
Speaker 11: Don't like that.
Speaker 6: Don't like grapefruit.
Speaker 2: One of yours? Did you like a cucumber?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because I like coriander. Okay, okay, because I think super tastes. They think cucumbers taste like coriander or so anyway, I can't quite remember what supertastes. Maybe something that can call us it's a super tastey Helen, Thank you got caught standing fijo's. Cop took me home to Mum. Not good. I can't believe how many people don't like fijoas I thought I was alone in that. The smell, the taste of the feel in my mouth, uh gag. Friends would share them from the heges, but I couldn't eat them. Can't eat rockmelon either, kate the feel in my mouth? Where did fijo's originally come from? They seem to be everywhere and us in like a weed. My mum was a great bottle of preserver. Fijoas like plums for me. I ate in so many different forms. I can't stand them now the way we are. Eat one just to check. My daughter loves that. We planted a couple of trees in our farm for her as she is in Tasmania. I feed them to one of our goats that loves them, if y. I check out the deep fried fijo at dessert at Forest Restaurant, Auckland. Amazing wow, very dry and blockhouse by the summer. Fijoas a very small and hard and edible that they might also have a I think they also might have some sort of a infection too. I didn't see the old man, and he's got good fijos, but his crop work that good this year, he said, there's some I forget what the discussion went. Lovely fruit, usually muffins, ice cream, you name it. Cricket's still going hellpfully. They turned up the wireless to drown them out. Neighbors bang on the walls. Wish it snowed here, that'd sort them out. Fijo and jelly, that'll convert the haters. Cape gooseberry is another good one. Havevery nice evening, love a cape gooseberry, Marcus. I just like Fijo's cleared a schoolmate with a tree.
Speaker 12: At home.
Speaker 2: We used to throw them at each other like army grenades. And the smell of that makes me gag now because I could remember the smell fermenting on my clothes, Marcus. Not all fijo as are created equal. Those of our tree are silky smooth. Katie, not a fan of fijo, has had six big bushes down our drivers again. Autumn was a season of break up rotten for joas was the smell then now I'm taken back whatever, Marcus. I didn't like fijo's when I was young. They were fijo trees growing out something better, and when no one picked them, they would fall on the ground rot and all I remember is the smell of rotting fruit. I've tried you, though I don't know the taste, as smell is not pleasant all. On the other hand, I love a slab of dirry and in the morning off the tree, Peter from Levine, Marcus. I love and grow figo as the rest of the family think they taste like soap. And someone said, just from the farmer's juicer, woman, lots of fruit is ready for harvesting this time of the year, so a juicer is a really good thing to buy.
Speaker 18: Here.
Speaker 2: There's juices and juices. Juices are fun until you've got to wash them all those parts. Marcus. Just a question on super tastes. So far all the fijoa haters have been female. Yeah, Guava moth, Marcus. Guave moth can affect the figo is really hard to get rid of, Marcus. I used to make a beautiful fijo a kombucha out of nothing but the skins and a pack of brewis yeast. I feel that's the first time on hear I've said kom butcher, and I made a bit of a heck of it, I said Gombucher. It was too late. Greetings, welcome. Oh wait, By the way, JFK files are released tomorrow. Someone's saying there's more than one shooter. By the way, the when the eestronat's landing down at am tomorrow morning, So you can't watch any footage of it unseen in anything. Nope, live stream on the YouTube like watching paint dry. Marcus heads up. JFK files released tomorrow afternoon PM. Us it in time, so you bid to your homeworkers. Likely to be conversations at the heads up. Most records destroyed, but more than one shooter. There's an antiseptic cream in the UK that tastes like fijoas I used to eat as a child. Now I hate fijoas it's a bit like me and strawberries. He used to be a worming tablet that tastes like strawberries. Does anyone have that as a child? I think it was called Pripson. Anyone else remember that. I don't think I was a particularly wormy child, but didn't taste good. Pripson. I could write a poem on that. I could write a rap on Pripson not very good at all. Oh worms did the job. Marcus once made fijo, a chili chutney repopular grape with roast meat chairs bears. Marcus, I'm thirty four and I've never tried a fid am. I missing out? Or is it not worth trying one? I gotta try one. Cheapest creepers, you gotta try one. I don't even think. I don't even know what else to say about that. Pronounce it fey hoa. You might like them better. That's how Colombians pronounce it. Their native fruit. Come on, they are tasty, start tart and tasty when they ripe and cut like guava. Che checks Jackson. I think you've misunderstood me. I've always been a huge fan. I was just asking for people could tell me why it's such a polarizing fruit, what they don't like about them, the old feyha. I don't know if probably are delicious. Sometimes you go to one of these Si Shi gelato. One's into gelato now, anyone loves you Aul gelato, all gelato and some great flavors. But I've never seen a great fijo a gelato, because to me would lend itself extremely well to that have a lemon and cucumber gelato not so long ago. And I don't want to be a gelato boar if I've already become a gelado boar. Actually, just ditch the last three minutes of me talking, because I've come across the sue. I don't want you want to be This is fascinating. I love hearing how something tastes to others and comparing to how it tastes to me and your chef. To try one, you'll probably love it. Kate, Now, who are they talking? I've tried one, I've tried more than one. I'm those super taster. Well maybe i am, so we are talking about fijo's. I just want people to describe people that have a very strong negative reaction to them. Why is that? What does the taste taste like? It's a hard thing to describe, isn't it? A couple of things happening. The people from the rocket will arrive tomorrow SpaceX, SpaceX, Dragon, Sanita and Butch and nine others will attended to Earth aboard the SpaceX Dragon spacecraft. That's happening tomorrow, the land tomorrow. Also tomorrow, the JFK files will be released, although I think a lot of them have been destroyed and there's going to be a lot of files, so people are I think there are experts that will know where to go and lock. So I'm not quite sure when we'll have the gotchas. So there's eighty thousand pages, big book, isn't it. It's like eighty war and pieces. While we're here, I thought it'd be appropriate we are to borrow announcing giving all of the Kennedy files. So people have been waiting for decades, fortith and straight by people, lots of different people. Tulsi gabba that they must be released tomorrow. You've got on a reading. I don't believe we're going to redect anything. I said. Just don't react to redect. You can't redact. He described as interesting. He said he has heard about them, and who asked if he'd seen what's in the files, he edited, I'm not gonna I'm not doing summaries. You're right your own summary. So it's all about CIA involvement. I suppose get in touch if you want to talk eight hundred and eighty today, d N it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 20: Marks how you do it?
Speaker 2: Good thing.
Speaker 20: Hey, it's a funny. People who generally like the Joe's tend to sit down and eat like a dozen of them at a time, I think, which is quite different compared to any of the every day like you don't generally sit down and eat like six beats equivalent, I guess, in a row. But that's how I always, you know, I really, I really enjoy.
Speaker 2: Because you don't and you don't it's almost like, yeah, it's weird a.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, A funny story. When we were kids, we'd cut would cut a bowl of feos in half and and then we'd have an eating competition. You'd line them up across the mantel piece, and it was the one that got to the end, you know, So it was like a half you'd line all the halves up as you go as you're eating them, and it was the first time to get to the end was the winners. But yeah, it's yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Guess you had no shortage of them, Dean. You would add trees for.
Speaker 5: Them, right oh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah always yeah.
Speaker 20: But anyway, I just thought I mentioned that it's it's kind of different than other fruit.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't be that you wouldn't do that with the other fruit.
Speaker 15: No, I don't think you do.
Speaker 20: You know, the man would pull you up, so but generally, yeah, I don't know. Maybe we just like to crop out on them. But I think that's pretty much everybody that he likes the PJ you tack on a dozen at a time.
Speaker 2: Let's hear from you. Thanks, Jean Brett Marcus welcome.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you mentioned that K documents again released and I listened to an audiobook on a long flight one time and it was by an Australian lawyer who he reckonly he worked his whole career to be the perfect guy to poor apart the intrigue with the whole situation and really enjoyed it. His his conclusion was definitely a shooter Oswald, but it wasn't in his view. It was unlikely that Oswald actually killed JFK, but it was actually his close protection detail, and there was the response that they took to the shopping fired and that one of his own close protection guys actually had a like an accidental discharge and shot JAF came ahead and there was a there's a few threads here. One of them was like there was this specific type of firearm it might have been an ARfD and or or something like that that they were using for a short period of time and then short and then immediately afterwards they just got rid of them all and they did a really detailed clean of both all the cars straight away, which obviously destroyed all the evidence. And so why would you why would you do that? And in this in this Australian lawyer's view, it was just a cover up. They were trying to save the career of this this PLOS protention officer and just sort of trying and threave it under the carpet, which, yeah, I know, I thought it was interesting. But potentially we're going to find out.
Speaker 2: And I don't even know the timeline for that. I don't know how long it will take for them to read it all and cut. I guess the people that spend their whole life studying it, we'll know the right kind of pages to go to. I'm fascinated.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's it's just like top rate intrigue, isn't it. Like there's so many factors and threads and I know. I guess it's like real life, isn't it. Sometimes there's just things are just truly mysterious and it's uncommon, but it can happen.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll talk again tomorrow, Brett. Thank you for that. Colin. It's Marcus.
Speaker 15: Good evening, Yeah, good out here you going Marke and quickly, I know the news is coming up. Listen to fijos.
Speaker 7: This is what I do.
Speaker 15: I get a nice sized fijo, cut them in half, get a teaspoon, take it, scoop it out so that it's in the pool. Put them in a pan, some brown sugar and a little bit of cinnamon. Stew them and when they're nicely stewed, get them out and have them with plain ice cream or hokey pokey ice cream and yum yum yum.
Speaker 21: Wow wow.
Speaker 2: Well are you growing your own?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 15: No, we were in a village, and but I've got access to some that I get.
Speaker 2: You got you've got a dealer, Have you got contacts?
Speaker 15: Family? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Go, well, kind of nice to talk to you.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Just coming up to nine. I've got my name as Marcus Head. On Midnight eight hundred and eighty, did Daddy fijoas and JFK. That's what it's all about. All happens tomorrow, the files. I think this is just announce of going to be released. Marcus, Fijoas tastes like soap, disgusting. Try fresh figs, they are delectable, cheered Dianne. I think most of us have tried fresh figs. Most of us have the ability to like a number of different fruits. Try fresh figs. Goodness me edlind not manim As. Marcus, welcome Fijoas and the Fijoa haters giving you a chance. Two topics that probably don't naturally go together, the Jay of k assassination and Fijoas. I think there's a lot of intrigue about the document dump tomorrow because they withheld the documents last time. No one quite knows why, and I think probably both Joe Biden and Trump have refused to release them, but now they are going to or now by now Trump is going to Marcus, I brewed forty pounds of fijaas with ten pounds of black grapes, beautiful nol napier. Yes, Marcus JFK to use the etcenator ex Vietnam War pilot's own works must be words. JFK was quote intervention RFK and Teddy building a legacy and talking to Russia. I put my money on the Shooter bean in the storm water Drain, like was said on the documentary Everything's a rich man's trick. You are cracking me up. Eating six fijos is not weird. It's a volume thing. You eat six large strawberries or fifteen blueberries, or less than one watermelon. Four fijos is one banana. I think people don't eat six. People eat, sit down and eat buckets of them until they're all gone. Pretty much is how it goes. Until a couple of years ago. I thought fijo has tasted like guavas steeped in kerosene. But something's changed to make me quite like them. It must be me, not them. Lyle christ Church, Oh eight hundred and eighty eight out if you want to talk, And why do you hate them?
Speaker 22: So?
Speaker 2: Why do people hate for you? What is it about the taste that you hate so much? It must seem like something you're not supposed to eat. That seems to be what people's reactions are this day and history. In nineteen sixty five, Soviet cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, after passing through an airlock on the spacecraft Vuctu two, became the first man to walk in space sixty years ago. And also to the trouble with Farmers, there've been victims of a hack, a cyber attack. So one woman couldn't get a blender. Cash only always have cash, that's what people say. I think farmers proved that to be mind you you could wait another day till you got your blender. Kuldn't you. There's trouble and Nelson with their runway residents don't want the extension. No surprises there. I think people have been protesting about airports and runways three short after Orbal and wolver invented flight. They seem to go hand in hand. Maria's Marcus welcome, good evening, Good.
Speaker 22: Evening, Marcus, Mary from the North Island. I had two neighbors with the tree. Each of the figures, one at my front fence and one at my back fence, just drops over into my dad and I cut them up in half, stoop out the fruit and put them in easy settle bags and froize them for later years. Now what I do I make fiedo and apple cake. Banana and fijo of cakes, and I can stew the figos and gingers together which is lovely with their ice cream. Also make fijo a jam up here where I live, and it's and I can buy fijo and lollies up here at the local dairy, and my family and Australia always will remind me bring them over my cabin bag and I have no trouble but bringing them into Australia and the other fijo are sweet and they cost me about twenty dollars and it's I think about four or five pilo box. And in their local supermarkets, I don't know about where you are down in the South Island, but in their local supermarkets we can buy the fijo a juice and the soup market chillers and it's just lovely. And they coming three different soos bottles. So that's what I wanted to tell you.
Speaker 2: And how is the season this year, Maria? Are they are the trees laden already?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 22: No, not yet, I surprised you said, because I don't think they're near ready over here.
Speaker 2: So no, it might be, it might be with it, it might be with the drought and things too. That they might be a good because they do need the water.
Speaker 22: Yeah, that's right, and it's been pretty dry. Okay, thank you sweet hat for listening to me.
Speaker 2: No, it's my pleasure, Mary, and it's not only is my pleasures with job. Love you, Marcus. Your middle name should be for Joa. I bottled a lot last year and they are great. Never got tired of them. You should try growing some down where you are. Cheers, David, good show making enough, we've got some of the garden. I tried kenning them also to it was going to be a commercial enterprise. But watch the space Fijo as I like temrilas you've loved them, or to test the no middle ground. That's right, no one they're they're like I was gonna name some broadcasters. I won't. I don't know the smell of we Joe or lavender and have no desire to eat either. Love your show always, Lisa, always, Marcus. It's not the taste, it's the smell. Positively, Viole, I hate them, sadly. We have a sixty meter hedge of the disgusting stinky things. Richie. Can you get ai to summarize the JFK docs? I don't really want to, but can you ask them what's likely to be in it today tomorrow? Dan, Thanks Solender, it's Marcus. Welcome him, Marcus Hilendra.
Speaker 10: It's depends what varity you eating. Some verity can be you know, it's not not that sweet. And there's a lot of different varieties of features.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I think the people that hate them, that would hate any variety, wouldn't they.
Speaker 10: Oh, if you give them white goods and golden goose, we'll enjoy it because they're quite big and maybe maybe maybe they're very nice and sweet. Kay's all right? Anatico white, Yeah, tribe unique, Yeah, moments. So there's quite a few different varieties.
Speaker 2: How come you how come you know so much?
Speaker 10: I used to work in the orchard.
Speaker 2: Yes, what what's the biggest commercially sold one?
Speaker 23: Uh?
Speaker 10: Those bigger fruits are normally white goose and golden goose and uh uh kakarika.
Speaker 2: And a polo is quite a big one too, is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Okay, cockarique have royal else. I think it's like the name the franchise to a company. You can't not everyone can grow it. Yes, yeah, you have to have the right to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice here from miss Linda. Thanks about seventeen past nine. Tastes like deep heat. It's a good point. Taste like deep heat.
Speaker 7: Not for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe taste like something you rub on your body in the rugby changing rooms. Is that what it's about? Army huge on fijoas think they are like Durian for beginners. The smell intensifies with the taste. If you hold your nose, most people would be fine. I hate the skin like plums, mixture of tartness and sugar, exotic fruit for temperate climate, Marcus, free wet and windy here in christ Also, I hate fijo as they taste like a meaning perfume to me. Things and everyone I've met that hates fijos is from christ Church. Marcus. The extension to Nelson's runway won't make any difference to the residents planes fly with and regardless of the length. It's a good point too, isn't it. Oh, people love to moan about something I don't even know what sort of It's always sort of an anti climax, Nelson Airport. Why have I got strong feelings about Nelson Airport? I think I've been stuck there once or twice too often.
Speaker 15: Oh and I got that.
Speaker 2: I got They filmed me for Plas ten seven, biking from there to town without a helmet, past one of those sort of restaurants and a boats you and they're all sort of tapping at the window. It wasn't pleasant. I've blocked that memory. Twenty one past nine. Colin ats Marcus, good evening and welcome.
Speaker 5: Goody thinks.
Speaker 2: Hi Colin.
Speaker 5: You can hear me?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, receiving your well how's your hearing?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Good good.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 5: The reason I'm ring tonight is this whole cash scenario where yeah, cash is king and noise.
Speaker 19: Was but.
Speaker 5: Place I went to today they wouldn't accept my cash. What they didn't have the would you say, didn't have the didn't have the technology to take cash? I like, it's cash, like it, you know, you don't need technology of crying.
Speaker 2: Out what's but that is not the first What sort of place.
Speaker 5: This was? This was an air clinic and christ church.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, good luck for them during the next quake.
Speaker 5: I reckon, yeah exactly.
Speaker 7: I thought.
Speaker 5: I thought pro Strege of all places would have would would love cash.
Speaker 2: Had had they had you already got what you went there for and you're paying at the end of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the one it okay?
Speaker 2: Wow, goodness, And how the conversation going.
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I mean, there's a couple of lovely, nice ladies there.
Speaker 19: What was I to do?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just had a card? It which Yeah did you have Did you have a card? Pay cash? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Did you have a card?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 5: Likely?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So just beck a pedal back of it and tell me what's the problem.
Speaker 5: So well, just the fact that, like, if you go to a place you've got cash, which is legal tender, they should have provisions in place to be able to take the cash, and the.
Speaker 2: Fact they don't would indicate to me that it's probably not legal tender.
Speaker 5: Right, wow, well you know, like yeah, I'm I mean its crazy Colin.
Speaker 2: People always ring up and say the show they've got to accept cash. Everywhere you go, they got to accept cash. It's a law. But more and more there's places that don't accept cash and there seems to be no problem with it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like, what do you do?
Speaker 5: So I'm ringing to vent you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wonder from a legal standpoint whether all those people like you that say they've got to accept cash. Cash is king whether in fact they're deceived and whether in fact you don't need to accept it because you go out to a sports venue and everything's cash only sometimes like your food stalls and stuff like that, they don't get robbed for the money. It's quite common now, it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I mean yeah, most most places have like even even at markets, most most places have provisions for cash now, like it's you know, it's still it's still seen things like farmers' markets now in the morning. It's still a kiwi thing and cash is I guess it's a it's a culture type thing. It's what a culture type thing. Like we've always you know, it's always been the change in the pocket sort of thing. We've tried to well a lot a lot of people I know try to spey away from using the card and prefer cash. And I'm one of those people as.
Speaker 2: Well, because they're shifting.
Speaker 5: Oh just you don't like people sort of judging your spending habits.
Speaker 2: Because you're trying to avoid paying GST and stuffe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean like if you know, like if you can take your cash out and then you've got like in a send amount each week that that you can spend, and it's it's just easier that way. I find it easier that way.
Speaker 2: It seems to me, Colin that christ people are particularly cash sensitive because they went through the quake and their ift poles didn't work and cash was quite important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which I thought, and exactly the thought. I thought there'd be provisions in place, and Christ Chach of all places for them to take cash, not to not except.
Speaker 2: It exactly, Christ Church of all places.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, good thing you had your card though, way exactly. Ay, But fruits and thoughts for people out there, are.
Speaker 2: You going to take your business house? Where are You're not that perturbed?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 5: Howten? Do you go to an airplace? You know once every couple of years, So next time I go, I guess I may look somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brilliant, good on your car, straight shooter. I don't know if it's legally, I don't know. Look, it seems as I don't know what to say about things like this. I don't have Kesh's king. I don't know what that expression means. Marca. Some small town shops can't take cash to share the right changes. Banks have gone and shops can't get a float. Been loving for Joe as since a young boy running around having our racecourse Kiwi Classic. Any takeaways worth his salt will sell for Jo and milkshakes Andrew and what about kesh Is King? I need were talking about that because it's farmers they got cyber attacked. Who do cyber Attec Farmers? They seem so inconsequential. Yeah, oh, Graham, Marcus, welcome, hig Graham, there you go.
Speaker 17: And buddy, Yeah, good Graham, you're going to well, buddy, we're talking here.
Speaker 9: You're good.
Speaker 17: Good, we're talking cash.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, we are.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Well, I've been in business and under the new legislation and all now you can't take cash. Okay, tell me about going to the bank. Can you take a thousand dollars? You've got to be signing documentation, you've got to take your photo taken and everything else under the money laundry. Oh yes, it's been brought in. That's what's creating all this havoc for everybody.
Speaker 2: So how's that affect you? What can't you do?
Speaker 17: You've got to have internet banking done. You can't take cash full stop.
Speaker 2: So you can't if you're a business, you can't deposit cash.
Speaker 17: Yeah, you have to prove where you've got it from. You go and buy something on trade me and you go in with cash, So they've got to take the photographs of what you've been segning on trade me and everything else to prove that it's not money laundry.
Speaker 2: How arduous is that?
Speaker 15: Okay?
Speaker 2: How hard is that? I mean, it's doable. Isn't it hard?
Speaker 17: Because I know someone that took three hundred dollars into a bank here and had problem had to go and get all the photographs and everything else, take everything and to prove that it was legit.
Speaker 2: So it hasn't been a problem with your business at someone you know?
Speaker 17: Right, No, I've been asked a question when I've taken it in, but I've sold my business now.
Speaker 2: So I'm not If you're depositing money, they want to know where it's from. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 17: Yeah, there was a track on you now with money laundering. Every dollar you have.
Speaker 5: Is being watched.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize it went like that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 17: Can't go anywhere now. On Sunday I went in to get some stuff and pay with if boss. I couldn't even get if poss being accepted, and it was had to be payway and the same thing had happened to somebody else on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Where was that at?
Speaker 17: That was in the mighty manner the two okay, what sort of shop? Clothing shop? And I think it was a service station Britain.
Speaker 2: Thanks Graham, Marcus. Would you believe whover in the mob we're behind the Kennedy's murder. Kennedy's were intent on shutting down the mob, Marcus, cash is more critical now than ever. The only way you can stop et cetera leaving no transactions, the only way you can shop leaving no transactions. Privacy and nimity cannot be compromised in a free society. Dave in the Far North JFK was killed because he didn't want the Vietnam war. So obviously the people who profit from the war didn't want the public knowing who's responsible. There you are marks on the weekend, ided a cash deposit to my bank account virus smart at at the Wistpac Bank of reasy transaction, Marcus, cash is only tracked over one k Marcus, let's talk about Otago, unied students drinking and couch burning. Cash is not king, but bloody helpful during a power cut. I think some companies used not taking cash excuse to stop starf fifth. I deposit cash unto the threty for our asp money machine, No problem, Lord Fongnui.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I imagine too. If you're working somewhere setting up stools at the rugby and you've got workers coming in but till just cash list, there's going to be no leakage and much less risk of getting robbed. Hi, Marcus, let's talk about Otago Union students drinking and couch burning rita. Yeah, I don't really have a problem with that. I thought Berne did. Wallaby was disrespectful. That got the attention of the headline they probably wanted, and I'm sure the university discourages Slash encourages it because it kind of looks like an exciting place to go to study. Twenty to ten. Hello Andrew, AT's Marcus. Welcome?
Speaker 23: Hi Marcus, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Thank you Andrew.
Speaker 23: I'll just go down a little bit of a conspiracy hole with JFK.
Speaker 10: Love that.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I thought you might, because I hope they say something about there was an assassin. I watched a program about thirty years ago called the men that killed JFK. And there was an assassin called Lucy on Saft and he was called the Badge Man and he was the man they reckon was up on the grassy dressed as a policeman and they've got a photo with him and a guy dressed as a railway worker beside him, and you can see the puff of smoke coming out. It's an old documentary, but it's worth seeing. And there was a gangster that wrote a letter he put away and he said, only release it after I die, and it said something about Lucien Sarti being the killer. But he died in Mexico City in nineteen seventy, so because he was a bad person and a killer. But that always interested me, the Algerian gangster side of it and getting involved because they wanted Vietnam to keep going and he wanted to stop Vietnam and it was all about money. And yeah, I just that's my side of it. And I'm fifty two and I've been following it since I was so Yeah, anyway, that's just my bit.
Speaker 7: Hang on, hang on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a TV program that came from a book I believe.
Speaker 5: Is it right?
Speaker 23: Yeah, it was a long time ago. It was about mid nineties, early to mid nineties. I went for three hours. It was like a three part mini series. And there was lots and lots of different speculations about the three shooters and three different angles and two three teams of two which made six. And they were in a safe house for ten days after the shooting, and then they got out of Dallas. Was it was really interesting. I mean, there was lots of different, oh, speculation, but that was the most interesting one. And you know all those bums that got rounded up afterwards from the railway yards. A lot of them had brand new Polish shoes on and they were just let out and they weren't found. It was a lot of strange things. It was a lot of strange things.
Speaker 2: Andrew, what would be the motivation for the Algerian or the French drug traffickers to shoot Kennedy?
Speaker 23: Well, it was just a way for the CIA or the mafia to point the finger a way from America to somewhere else if anything fell apart. And also they needed the Vietnam water start, they needed Bell to get money and Boeing mine.
Speaker 2: So are you saying the CIA was behind these it was definitely.
Speaker 23: They did not like Kennedy and they wanted him gone. And he was signing things to bring back the Vietnam advisors from sixty three, and he was signing things saying we're not going to go over there, We're not going to start a ten twenty year war. And all the warmongers and the people that wanted to say is make money. He said, no, we want this to happen. We got to get rid of this guy. He's already cost us Cuba.
Speaker 2: You know, my problem with all of it, and maybe checked maybe.
Speaker 23: I'm open minded.
Speaker 2: So yeah, definitely my problem with any any book about like who was the Yorkshire Ripper or who killed JFK or anyone? It seems to me there's so much information now you can't go and have a broad look over everything that's so long time ago, so.
Speaker 23: Much there's too much, too much over the whole.
Speaker 2: Yes, So the only way you can do anything is you've got to go and find one person and focus on that. And if you do that, you can always find weird things. Hang on whine to.
Speaker 23: Say, who's to say that's the truth exactly? I mean it could be. I'm open minded. I know it could be all a load of rubbish, but you know, it's just what I've what I've seen over the years, and yeah, I just I find it very interesting. And of course the country can get rid of somebody who's causing them strife. I mean, I don't think Trump's going to last another year. I really don't.
Speaker 2: Well, the trouble is with Trump is that, you know he I won't even go there with that.
Speaker 23: I just look, I don't I don't hate him, I don't love him, but I don't think he's going to last.
Speaker 2: I look, he's certainly upset a lot of the law enforcement people with the release.
Speaker 23: I'm just.
Speaker 2: Thinking I was talking then I said, he's released. He's upset a lot of the law enforcement people, the releasing of the January sixth insurrectionist. Now, a lot of those people are probably involved in his security detail and things like that. So I think as time goes on, there's more people that are close to him with grievances. But anyway, how many times was ken Kenney was shot twice?
Speaker 10: Was he oh, oh.
Speaker 23: God, Well there's a magic bullet. There's no there's a net bullet, isn't there the magic bullet? And then the head bullet three three, but they reckon four. You couldn't hear the fourth. So yeah, yeah, But anyway, let some other people talk Marcus, and it's lovely to talk to you.
Speaker 2: I'll read some of wikipedi about that as well. Marcus, my ATM accepts cash, never asked for it from I rereader that last I had to mate. There was something stuff on trade and just prank the guaranteed you the banks won't accept your money. It just says on wikipediy. Conspiracy theories, the Kennedy assassination has been described as the mother of all conspiracies. For decades, poles have consistently found the majority of Americans believe there was a conspiracy. Some one thousand to two thousand books, mostly pro conspiracy, have been written about the killing across different theories. Oswald's roles varies from co conspirator to entirely innocent common culprits in FBI, the CIA, the US military, the mafia, the Military Industrial Complex, vice President Johnson Castro, the KGB, or some combination. Thereof forty two groups, only two assassins and two hundred and fourteen people had been accused in various assassination theories. Conspiracy theorists often argue there were multiple shooters or triangulation of cross far under the fatal shot was fired from the grassy knoll and stuck Kennet struck Kenny in the front of the head. Individual's president Dally Plows have been the subject of much speculation, including the Three Tramps, the Umbrella Man, and the purported Badgeman. Conspiracy theorists argue that your topsy and official investigations were flawed or it was complicit, and the witnesses of the Kennedy assassination met mysterious and suspicious deaths. Pretty interesting. I heard about the three Tramps. They're under police escort by this suppository. Depository got that one wrong? Did I apologize? The Umbrella Man, he's in the Zabrugga film, one of the closest bystanders when the present was first stuck by a bullet. The figure's behavior raised suspicion among investigators due to his maneuvering of an umbrella as Kennedy was passing him, despite clear skies. Oh, clearly he's guilty. It makes you want it, doesn't it. You see something that Yeah, of course that happened. Now the badge man. You know, the badgeman you can't really see because of the flesh from the muzzle of the gun a person wearing a police uniform. The moniker itself derives from the bright spot on his chest, which is said to resemble a gleaming badge. So yes, it's not something that really technology has done much to help, has it, really? Marcus? I went to Deadly Street Plaza rarely how yours would shot you? Chilling? How easy it was to shoot him? Cash is good to need an emergence sees when ATMs are all out of power? What about the scams out there? The scammers are now on next level and globally costing billions in Some bank workers spind all day dealing with customers that have been scammed. That's from Emma greetings, welcome, how amonamous Marcus are. But it's good where you are here till twelve o'clock tonight, looking forward m put as I say here to the end eight hundred and eighty Taddy and nine nine two detects, looking forward to what you want to talk about? JFK and fijoas. Why do you hate fijo as so much? What do they taste? Like to you if you are one of those haters. That's what I'm curious about. Tonight someone says fijo has smell slickly sweet and make me feel ill. I have eaten one and spread out and just awful to eat. It's pretty sure. The point is that you might have something along those lines you want to write about. That's kind of where we are tonight, Marcus, come May June. Fijo as our king. To me, the taste is like pineapp with a texture like pear. There you go, and the other fruits that you hate, rock melon has been quite big also tonight, what right about? There's something else you want to mention too. People are kind of freaking out about cash and places not accepting cash. That's something you might want to mention. And the JFK files will be released tomorrow. Some of you might remember the Oliver Stone movie JFK. I never saw it. I've been involved with lots of discussions about it by JFK obsessives. I wonder if the internet's been good for JFK conspiracy theorists. I suppose probably it's enabled people to kind of discuss stuff, but I don't think anyone's clear about anything. But yes, I say two thousand books have been written about it. I read an amazing long form article about Johnson getting sworn on the plane as the acting president. Now, I think Kennedy's wife was on that plane, and I can't quite think how that would go about, but yeah, that seems to be the situation there. I don't even know how that came about. It was a remarkable article. The president waited for Jackie Kennedy, who in turn would not leave Dallas without her husband's body, to arrive aboard Air Force one. Kennedy's casket was finally brought to the aircraft, but take off was delayed until Johnson took the oath of office. So it's pretty extraordinary, the inauguration of JFK. Sorry Off Johnson. I'll read you a bit more about that, because that's fascinating anyway, Pete, it's Marcus. Welcome, good evening, Hi, Pete.
Speaker 12: Marcus. Yeah, disregarding people that won't accept cash, they've got a business, whether it's a copy place or whatever, you've got to realize that cash is still legal tender in this country, and if they want a business, I'll go to somewhere else. In my coffee because in the day is it's like elderly people that carry cash and the fast business. I'll accept either either.
Speaker 2: Hey, Pete, Pete, Pete, Pete. Yep, yep, yep, you say, yep. That's why I'm talking to you. You say cash is legal tender, right, yeah, but there's plenty of places now that have opened up that don't accept cash. So it may be legal, legal tender, But from what I can see, you're also perfectly entitled not to accept it, am I right?
Speaker 12: Yeah, a business. If you're in a business near Marcus, someone come into your shop with some coffee shops.
Speaker 2: That you've said that. But the question I'm asking you, right, it seems as though people can set up shops and not accept cash and the police haven't come to charge them or anything.
Speaker 12: Well, we could we could talk about getting debate about it to I suppose in the day as far as I'm the sin if you're own business, yeah.
Speaker 2: But hang on, hang on, hang on, Pete, because I want to narrow down to the final point. It must be legal to run a business and not accept cash, otherwise people wouldn't do it.
Speaker 12: Wow, good luck to them, because in the day, as I'll go to a place that will accept my money. Because people that years ago, think about years ago, there was no cards. Everybody talk cash, everybody survived. All the business they want, they'd always take money. So why do these people go in business. I don't want your money like that. Here's here's so many excuses.
Speaker 2: We're also all dying from polio and TV. Things have changed, things have moved on. We've got, you know, technology, it's.
Speaker 12: Up to you if you want to use it, say a lot of old people. I listened to the Talk About show quite a bit, as you know, there's a lot of old people now. Before these fees the banks are charging us pay pay wave in everything beginning, I.
Speaker 2: Kind of lose interest in this topic. And ess people can tell me the rights of consumers because you don't know what they are. I don't even reckon you'd go out and buy a coffee Pete.
Speaker 12: At the end of the day, Marcus, if you've got a bus, you don't care about Pete.
Speaker 2: But Pete, you said you're going to take your coffee elsewhere. I don't reckon you'd buy a coffee out.
Speaker 12: No, I buy coffee in my mind, just as that coming down from all from that, we get coffee, don't a regular thing. But it's not even that. Like you go to hospital shops. They all take cash. So why should you you think that you're above somebody else and take my money.
Speaker 2: You've got you, you've got all this consumer power. I don't only about ten of you with that consumer power.
Speaker 12: No, there's quite a few out there now have cash, older people than that. If you're not going to cater for both, you can't care for both. You won't accept both. It should be the customer's choice whether they want to have cash going to that store, at a coffee shop, I don't care where it is. If you don't want to take the cash, well good luck you having the business. This is what's all i'd say, Do you really want a business? This is take cash?
Speaker 2: Nice hear from your Pete. Thank you, Lola Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 5: Hi, Hi.
Speaker 18: You were talking about shops not accepting cash. It's all about the banks charging them for how much cash they use, and I I think the cost is quite high, and they have made the choice not to accept cash because they can't afford it.
Speaker 15: So the banks are controlling the money, the cash.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, well the banks. I'm here, can you hear me, Lola, Yeah, I can hear you.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The banks charge for their service.
Speaker 18: Yes, but charging a high price. I mean, transferring money has become a very expensive thing for people who don't have online banking. Yeah, and so the banks are creaming it in this country, that's right. So it's really not a choice for this for small businesses to accept cash. Bigger companies usually take cash, but you know, well, I want to have to see how it goes.
Speaker 2: But what is interesting, it seems the more and more shops have set up that refuse to take cash. Is that your experience as well?
Speaker 18: Well, I mostly use I'm doing small purchases, I'll use cash, but it's usually in supermarket or.
Speaker 15: Or take away. But that's about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, lot of thank you. Nice to hear from you. Hi, Roger.
Speaker 10: Hey, how are you doing, Marcus?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 2: Thanks Roger.
Speaker 10: But here, you know, I kind of think that one of the things about dealing with cash for a business is that it takes you women hassle to get it to a bank because there aren't that many banks around there, or they used to be, and traveling transporting cash and that can be dodging these days as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, and depositive. It's not straightforward. You go to those machines as that straightforward, but it rejects a lot of your notes and it's it's a lot of p lava.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, I'm not sure about this, but I've heard it of you if you gave it the big here five thousand dollars cash and one of the positives that they won't do it.
Speaker 2: And well someone said that, because someone said that earlier, but some people have denied it. It's sort of do with money laundering. But I'm not entirely sure, Roger want that limit is It seems as though it varies. We might say if we can get clarification on that. Twenty past ten and a bit. Scotty Marcus, Hello.
Speaker 15: Marcus, you do mate?
Speaker 5: You good? You're good, Scotty nice nice.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm all for cash and businesses accepting run our hospital business and we tend to get a lot of cash, and on public holidays, and I don't know if there's people using their cashes for that, but there's definitely like an influx on on those days. But what I was remember the legality of taking cash. You don't have to accept it for payment of goods. But you do have to accept it for debt. If someone owes your money in a business sense, you have to accept it from them.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's the difference. Can you just talk to you a bit more about that? If someone owes you debt, so like on.
Speaker 15: A on a business sense of invoicing, if you if someone owes you for not not on the across the tell kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So it's a delayed payment so to speak.
Speaker 15: Yes, yeah, you can't refuse payment by cash if someone yeah, has you know, if they if they owe you five thousand dollars for supplied.
Speaker 5: Goods or.
Speaker 2: But it seems so, can you can at a shop or a business immediately, We don't. We don't accept cash.
Speaker 5: So you've got yeah, it seems it seems silly to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the way explains it.
Speaker 18: I like it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, that's that's that's how I get right. But I just you know, if someone's walking into your business and they want to give you cash for whatever you're selling them, just accept it. It's simple to me.
Speaker 2: How hard is it? How much of a hassler's banking for you?
Speaker 15: It's not hard at all. No, No, we're by no means a big business.
Speaker 5: But it's just.
Speaker 15: It's a cost, of course, like all.
Speaker 2: The time cost. But when you've got your notes and your coins, I presume you've got a bank nearby, have you.
Speaker 15: It's the wee way away. So we've got to go and use the automatic cash like the change machine, which is I mean, which is handy because you just like we're doing them without and exchange, you know, for the money for hotel and all that kind of carry on. But the rest of it, it's not, it's not hard. You can just deposit at those machines as well.
Speaker 2: What did you what did you what did you call those machines cutty the cash.
Speaker 15: The change machines? Yeah, yeah, we deal with like as B and they just they have the automatic machines where you just deposit and then yeah, it's it's I guess it's just all the cost of business. It's not it's not huge.
Speaker 7: Do you do that day?
Speaker 2: Do you do that daily? Or weekly? Uh?
Speaker 15: Probably weekly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an hour.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it'd been hours, Edmund.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 15: You're not talking about like huge huge you know, time or effort.
Speaker 2: And did you say they charged you for that the use of that machine to deposit your money there.
Speaker 15: Yeah, if you just go in and you you do that and you just you know, a chuckle an land and that it's a nominal to it.
Speaker 5: It's not a lot.
Speaker 15: Maybe twenty bucks.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't know then, okay, And they don't accept the money of the telly. You've got to go to the machine and feed it all on to the thing, don't you.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, no you can.
Speaker 15: You can go straight to the talent as well. You can. You can speak to a human and give it to them. Yeah, absolutely, they do that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, appreciate it. Thanks Scotty. Twenty three past ten Marcus. Welcome, Hello, good.
Speaker 21: Evening, Oh, good evening, Marcus.
Speaker 15: How are you are you?
Speaker 2: Good things?
Speaker 15: Rap?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 21: With the cash, I don't know. I mean, there's reasons to why people would want to use cash, but at the end of the day, a business can just not have cash, and I think it's just part of their business model in a sense. It's just like sort of the services they offer, and they don't offer what they can and can't do. And I think method of payment is one of them, because for example, warehouse or any other places you can use after pay, you can use different sorts of financing options, and so you know that's part of their business, is what they accept as payment.
Speaker 13: Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 21: You go, oh, no, it's just cash. It's very uncommon these days, even though it is still used and it's legal tender, and most people don't have it. I mean, whenever I use cash, it's either to gift to someone or to deposit in the bank from a gift. And they even they've got the auto depositing machines that take coins as well now at banks, so you don't even.
Speaker 24: Need to go in.
Speaker 2: And you know, yes, I have used one of those. I belonged to a group. I was in charge of the banking. I had to do that. But that was that was hard work because it was an embarrassing group to bank money for. But yeah, oh yeah, I these days with retail now you can actually now they've got those payment apps on cell now you can be a trader a vendor with a cell phone app. Yeah, it's so amazingly straightforward. I mean, the cost of running your business. You don't need to tell you don't anything, just can actually start all with your phone and start accepting money. I mean that's brilliant.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that's quite cool, and because you're not using cash, then you can sort of save costs as well. You don't have to worry about sort of insurance I think would be cheaper because they don't have cash being handled. And also when you're cashing out, even for the bigger, bigger businesses, you've got to have at least usually two staff cashing out and security and it takes you to be half an hour, So that's the wages to go into that. There's quite a lot and very high risk. Obviously a lot of businesses with all the theft that's happening these days, they wouldn't want to handle cash, you know, no, and.
Speaker 2: If you've got young staff, you know, you'd want to protect them. So there's less there's less worry that they're going to be a target of a rob there is less worry they're going to give out the wrong change accidentally in a busy store or something like that, because that can happen. I mean, it seems to me it just seems so sensible not to accept cash.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that's right. I think people the cash it comes from different fears of privacy and all that, but at the end of the day, like even cash transactions and stuff. It can be tracked to a certain degree, you know, with cameras and receding and all that, but that becomes a separate issue. So I think businesses that don't have cash it's just part of their business model, but it's also limited. I'm in Wellington and there's there's hardly any businesses that don't take cash. They still have so many that take cares, even the smaller ones.
Speaker 2: I think what happens when someone's got to sports DN user events that often the people will be cashless. I think that's just because of the chaos nature of it. Nice to talk for you, right, thanks so much for that. Pool. It's Marcus all over evening.
Speaker 25: Hey Mike is here, you're going good pool. I think the elephant in the room is cards because they get skimmed. Your money's not safe it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be jumping down your throat, but have you ever been skimmed? Because I never have, No, not.
Speaker 25: Yet, but but you know you actually have a look. I think the bank's biggest headache is replacing people's money when they have been skimmed and they've done nothing wrong and the transaction is in a sphere that we can't see you. You can't physically see your money because it's it's not with you obviously, So we're in a world that's a bit different. But I do agree with Guy your last caller. I have this one thing that I watched on online and there's two politicians I think they're in Australia, and it made perfect sense to me. So, if you've got ten dollars on your cash flow card and you hand it over the counter and you swiped your goods and they came to nine dollars or ten whatever, is that ten dollars still of the same value?
Speaker 2: Tell me it again.
Speaker 25: So you bought something for ten bucks.
Speaker 5: And you swipe your cat.
Speaker 25: Is that value still the same? Is what it was when you spent it? And the answer is no, because you ever think it, Well, the bank in all of the interest, in the small processes that have to come off that the online people that have to manage that transaction, it's now forty nine cents less. So the more times that you do your hand over a ten dollar not it's still the same tendllar. Note is he taken to the bank? Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It doesn't hurt me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I was.
Speaker 25: Thinking we're devaluing the currency by using the Internet and the systems that people are putting in place. I think robberies are the main thing. I really don't.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice to hear from you, Paul, thank you for that. Brent, Hello, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 26: Yeah, Marca, last dear. Middle of winters in Malia over Nausy here and in the book with the big giant Museum of the moment, Yes, yeah, and have a midwinter festival as well. It's huge, going on for a whole week. And I went down there and and I've made a couple hundred bucks in the pocket pussy bucks. And when you get a feed, he said, oh, sorry, Loves, there's no cash here.
Speaker 19: You know.
Speaker 26: I remember they told me that all mowna business. The feast was everything they do was set up from day one, cashler the whole thing.
Speaker 5: And and we went to the museum.
Speaker 26: You catch the ferry and go across and you play again to get onto the museum and to buy the food. Not that it sort of effected anyway, because I do that all the time. Anyway, It was it was just one of those It was a huge organization, thousands of zounds of people go through through the daily in the two season and the whole thing is just all cash, but a both pretty smoothly.
Speaker 5: I've got a space.
Speaker 2: So so you said it's all no cash, right.
Speaker 26: No cash at all? One no cash. We had. The whole business model was they're going to set up this museum them and their midwinter festival. Was they actually that it's not at the museum. They hold that in the city of Hobart and it's set up no cash at all. But I do like cash myself. I get a bit of cash now and again, and I go out and spend it, usually on the coffee restaurant kind of thing, and so I do like it. But I understand because that was at the Midwinter Food Festival. I mean it's shoulder to shoulders, jam packed with people. I wouldn't want to be counting cash and tumbling and tell you it's so much easier to wipe of cat. Yeah, it's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: I do think it's an amazing technology. How was the museum?
Speaker 26: Oh well, you love it, you hate it, You discuss the buyer it because there's some pretty vulgar things in there. Wall you were made by it all at the same time, So and there's something for everybody. Uh there's probably are eighteen year places he wouldn't take little kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting yeah, yeah, But I'll tell.
Speaker 26: You it's also amazing that challenges your perception and your brain. They're very, very clever. That's quite amazing. It's quite amazing. I mean, I'll tell you that one half piast was drawn by the wind. Some clever guy made this mechanical device all connected to a little mini windmill outside and it goes along with these the shafts and linkages, and you put a pin in this device and and the wind as the wind blows, that rolls a scroll of paper around and the pen schools on the paper and it makes the pattern, and it's all done by the wind and things like that. It's just amazing.
Speaker 7: I loved it.
Speaker 26: My wife, she's family. That's while I was there, he sort of had mixed feelings, but I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 2: I kind of just kind of when you're talking about it, Brent, were you because I think the guy that started in funded the whole museum. He was a guy that made a fortune from casinos and like a computer, So I wonder if that's why he's gone cashless. You know, I don't know what. I don't know what the connection is there. I'm just wondering about it.
Speaker 26: Yeah, but then it's going there just for that reason. Sexual Kiky this guy.
Speaker 2: You know, I've heard about the wall of Vault. Yeah, that's right. Yeah, so I have heard about that one. So thank you, Brett. Nice to talk to you. Twenty four away from eleven. How are you people? What is happening out there? And this st Land? Marcus till twelve State Highway three, good to go. There has been instant excident. Brown's Bay Roads close their single vehicle accident. Marcus. Your discussion on KESH news of the other day with violt whole situation all the hemisphere Russia, Ukraine, Norway and Swede advised the population to keep KESH on hand. Marcus. I can't believe they won't accept my anymore. Marcus. I buy groceries. I either draw cash also to save. When the machines go down, it will be used. Yes, it's about the cost the economy. It's about stores being robbed, staff being staled, cash extortion of individuals. It's bad people are being harmed and afraid to come forward. Also, gamers are putting stolen money on sites which they can lose lots of money. It's about getting it personal Google phone accounts and doing crime on cashboard phones can't wait until cash is gone, Marcus. I carry cash to pay the taxi because they charged two fifty pays a card, which is extra five dollars there and back.
Speaker 10: Loll.
Speaker 15: I know what the.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Marcus hutch Here. I think the movie jaff was a pretty good representation of what might have happened. Good movie. The banks don't want to pay staff to count cash cost cutting, and they don't want to pay security companies to cut cash back and forth. I did in the Weekend overhear a conversation from a woman phoning the bank, and it wasn't pleasant to hear. This is just I don't want to pivot to scams. But jeepers, creepers. You know the old classic text from the son who's lost his cell phone needs money for a while, Marcus, I can't believe what I'm hearing on the use of cash. I volunteer for an organization at least fifty percent of admissions are in cash. I was at the Supermarke Day. The gentleman in front of me paid in cash. The aengassistant had no difficult and gave him has changed. Plus, we need cash. Those who have lived through floods, what would what would a flood do to cash? Tell me about floods. I love A Texas says, I can't believe what I'm hearing. I can't believe what I'm hearing. I think right, and this might be peculiar to me. If I use payWave by just clicking my phone my four digit pin and waving it right to purchase something, Psychologically, to me, it seems almost cheap as I'm not paying for it because I don't have to go and get cash and hand that over. I prefer that the way, isn't it? I find it a more acceptable way to spend. Linda Marcus Hello, Hi Linda, Yeah, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 3: Now you're asking about mentioning about floods. Two years ago in Gisbane, we had cycling Gabriel that came through. Now it took out the power lines, but that that was one issue that only lasted less than a day for hear Us and Gisban. But it was the internet that was taken out when the cable was taken out and we had five days without any internet, which meant that we couldn't get any cash right of the machine. So if you didn't have cash, you couldn't get petrol, you couldn't buy food. It was it was a huge because a lot of people don't carry cash and weren't prepared for the you know, the civil devents disaster that we had. And yeah, so it was certainly a lesson on you know, having a supply that was there up the coast. There was a chap that managed to get around the East Cape too. I think he went to Totringer or Fokotani and he drew out a large amount of money so that he could operate a personal bank up the coast, so that people could actually buy food because they also couldn't access money, which meant they couldn't do any shopping.
Speaker 2: So obviously I was a bit remote from that whole flood because we're from a broadcasting point of view. There was two theaters. There was Gisbond and also Hawks Bay yep, And yeah, I completely agree with what you're saying. You know that it would have been worry did they get temporary at machines there after a day or two? Is that what happened or took a bit longer than that.
Speaker 3: No, No, because we didn't have the internet, so there was nothing that was coming through. And then then when there was a little bit of cash, I mean, the cues were you know, more as long people to see them. Yeah, so it was a real issue. I mean there were you know, people were sort of loaning money if they had it, but otherwise, if you went to the petrol station you could get out of you could get a small amount of petrol because they were restricting on how much they could give people. But yeah, it was a real issue.
Speaker 2: So what do you think happened now? When there's a cyclone coming or it's a situation it looks like it's going to rain really heavily, Will people go and get cash? Is that you think? Will that be the mentality now?
Speaker 3: I think so? Yeah, I mean certainly, certainly I did. I mean then there were people, you know, buying tortures and getting in water and preparing for the worst. So yeah, people people do have to prepare and have sort of supplies will suit with the es they need it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Linda, thank you for I do appreciate that. By the way, I've been visible other stuff today. But it seems as though christ Church is just getting hammered by hail and really strong winds. If you look at Windy dot com, it's not messing around. Straight up from the south Wow, bang straight into banks fins, just straight up the harbor ekadaa and then just bang an all thround christ Church. So yeah, I'm hearing you wow shouts it anyway, Get in touch, Barbara, Marcus. Welcome, Hi Barbara.
Speaker 14: Oh hello Marcus. Now listening to you and hearing and talking about cash and everything else. I work in a op shop at times and we do not accept a payWave with your payWave card. It's an absolute gift for criminals because sometimes people forget about their card and we'll sort of leave a card behind in any shop or wherever they might be. And if it's a payWave, look at the lovely time. All you've got to do is just wave it over the cash thing and you can do is whatever you like. The payWave is a perfectly criminal opportunity. But I prefer cash myself. I have a mixture of that. I do have a card as well, but I use cash more than anything. But payWave is a criminals gift. What do you think of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't get too freaked out my payWave. I mean most of my pays on my phone when you've got to enter a four digit pin number, So yes, a bit safer there. I think there's a limit on payWave, isn't there for a contactless swipe?
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, there is a limit on it, but I mean you can still go into half a dozen different shops and send up to that limit on it all. Oh, yes, it's a criminal opportunity.
Speaker 2: How much is the limit? Do you know off by hand?
Speaker 14: No, I don't go off I had, Yeah, but that's just my feeling of it.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear for you, Barbara Lorraine. It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 27: Hi Marcus. I just want to reinforce what the lady who was ringing from Gisbone was saying about the cyclone. I was supposed to fly up to Napier to Deco that year and was tenseled much my sister's discuss. But she was without phone for nearly two weeks, and if they hadn't had a small stash of cash, they wouldn't have had food or petrol or anything along those lines. Because most of the supermarkets couldn't even open their doors because they were run by electricity, and mainly the Maria's got people to bring food that was in their freezers that was going off because the freezers had no power and they had cookups and they were just giving away the food. So cash was king definitely for at least three to four weeks up in Hawk's Bay.
Speaker 2: So what happens next time you go and get money?
Speaker 15: Is that right?
Speaker 2: What happens next time when the flood happens, you go and get cash? So you're ready? Is that what you reckompete?
Speaker 27: You have a stash of it before it happens. You should always have some cash in your house any rate. You never know when you might have a disaster. Doesn't necessarily have to be a sight to own. It could be a landslip, it could be a fire anything. But I mean, even if you had a fire in your home, all your credit cards would just melt, wouldn't they?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 27: Dommy? I mean cash, cash will always be around.
Speaker 23: It's always been around the rain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you had a fire in your house, your money would burn.
Speaker 27: No, mine's in a metal box.
Speaker 2: Wow a fire like a safe?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 19: Wow?
Speaker 2: You put your cards in there too. But hadn't thought about that. Nice to hear from you, Irain. Thank you so true. Marcus. I have five thousand dollars cash in my metal safe downstairs. Has it bolted to the floor. Suppose to trouble the safe? If someone comes in and says, give us your number to the safe, then what do you do? Well, I can't remember, and they go to say, I have the spear care at my neighbor's house. What's about your neighbor will rob you. It's a joke, people, I'm not going to try put fear of God and to peel their neagh is going to rob them. Now this will be of interest to some of you. John Paddy Hemingway has died at the age of one hundred and five. He was last surviving pilot from the Battle of Britain. Died at his home in Dublin. He was twenty when he, as comrades in the Royal Air Force, took the skies to fight off wave after wave of Nazi aircraft that sought to pound Britain into submission during the summer and autumn of nineteen forty Twice. Bailed out of his Hurricane Fighter, once landing in the sea before returning to a squadron. Dismissed suggestions of bravery and heroism in the BBC article in twenty twenty, saying it was a pilot, a job to do. The main skill was lucky. Yet to be lucky no matter how good you were. For instance, my boss Sticky Lee was the best pile I've ever seen. He was shot down and killed to he had no luck. I had begged of luck. There we go. One hundred and five died at home are remarkable. Oh, the neighbor is a police officer, so the key is safe. So five thousand and a safe spereca at the neighbor's house. It's bolted to the floor, and the neighbor is a police officer. Because it'd be like that in the end times, people going door to door to get the money. Pay wave limit was eighty now it's two hundred. Someone says farmers computer system was down at the weekend and you couldn't pay by f paus or their Farmers count only by cash. Unfortunately, I don't have any cash on me, say save myself. Over one hundred dollars on Birchesses. Yes they were hacked. Who'd hacked farmers seems like a surprising thing to hack to me, just not the kind of the building you expect to be hacked. Oh well, Marcus, you may like the idea of being cash just, but in emergency events cash is invaluable. I draw cash from the machine and use a notebook, but I always stay in budget easy also stash of cash, heading and funds on term deposit. Also talking about fijoas and those people that hate them, what the things they what they think it tastes like really if they're going to describe that. We're also talking tonight about JFK because the files are at leased tomorrow, all of it. I don't know if that's going to be it's gonna be a big gotcha, or it's gonna be well, we've known all that all along. I would suspect people will find it disappointing. So there are the three discussions for tonight. It's eight past eleven. If there's something different you want to talk about, good, I can embrace that. Also it was something the same is also good. There are thoughts that the Pope will resign. Pope Francis had a letter published on Tuesday. There's link the illness has helped make more lucid term the observatory of war. They thought it was gonna be a resignation letter. Oh, by the way, how amazing is that robopen? I never knew the president had a Robopen. It's a machine that does your signature. Now it's called into the doubt the veracity of the signatures because it's not signed by the person, signed by a machine. I don't know if Luxon has a Robopen. Do you reckon?
Speaker 19: He would.
Speaker 15: Here?
Speaker 2: It's in On TikTok, Come on here on midnight.
Speaker 19: Man.
Speaker 2: Name is Marcus welcome. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's here from you tonight. If you got something different, that's good also, but let's be hearing from you all about the cash also, is it a situation now when it starts to rain, you go and get cash. I would think probably over time that they'll get better at not having everything go down. I don't always say that. I don't necessarily know that it's based on an effect, but jump and touch one of them? Is Marcus welcome? Eleven eleven? Oh, there is reports of surface flooding in christ Church. I reckon probably that banks Pinincia has been totally slammed. Yeah, so if you got some information from christ Church, let me know about the weather there. If you're driving around as they're flooding, what are you seeing? Are you going to the money machine to get some cash? Will you need it? Marcus? My dad always had cash and a sealed jar buried in the garden. Marcus Luxen is a robopen, heavy rain, strong winds, no hail, hauls well. Christ Church east side of chrost Church got hailed twice tonight. These are good texts. Some calls would be great. Let's be hearing from you all about cash. Do you need a safe full of money at your house? Marcus Hale ever so loud in Casebrook and christ Church frightening. Never heard anything like it before, as well as wind and Gust's crazy and I don't know the suburb of Casebrook. I should look that up, but that's a new one to me. Never heard of it. To be fair, I'm going to go into the maps now. Must be far out of town if they said it wasn't getting Hale in town at all. So Casebrook, where it's hailing heavily, is between Belfast and Bishopdale and Harewood looks like it's to see me rural, but there's big fields there as well. I've never heard of the name of that, but that's interesting to me. Case Brock. That would be the north of christ very heavy hail there are. There are reports of flooding also state Higway, seventy five, Birdings Flat and Little River. No surprises. That feels always feels a bit floody there. I hope you're going all right, Anne frightening, She says, Hello markets Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 24: Yeah, this is really a strong not one's down in Christian synonym and open the windows so that there's not too much pressure in the house.
Speaker 2: Equalize you are you and christ Mark?
Speaker 24: Yeah, central christ Church synonym. The humanity is about sixty five, that means and the temperature is about twenty degrees.
Speaker 26: Celsius, so it's warm.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it's not really cold, but I opened the windows just to keep the circulation in the house. That's what I'm trying to mention before. But it's quite scary. It could could get word. It started off yeah, very very It wasn't the ones when we're so strong. But it's getting very fly in there. That might get worse. It may not.
Speaker 2: I thought it would be colder than that with the winds from the south.
Speaker 24: You think so, but I've opened the windows and doesn't feel much colder. It's just like high, ghastly winds, gorong gasty winds.
Speaker 2: You say, do you say it's twenty degrees celsius, but season Google that it's eleven degrees.
Speaker 24: It's not true. There's two readings. I've got an analog and digital one and it's shown the twenty degrees south. I'm both analog and digital reading two different devices.
Speaker 2: Is it hailing in Sydonham, No.
Speaker 24: It's just a strong not so one's it's like one day Wellington time, very strong?
Speaker 2: What directions the wind coming from?
Speaker 24: Suddenly? Trom what we mentioned?
Speaker 2: Thank you Matteiah Marcus welcome?
Speaker 7: Oh how are you?
Speaker 18: Yeah? Good?
Speaker 2: Thanks awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well that block is all about on that side right now.
Speaker 2: I think that bloke was calling from Auckland.
Speaker 23: Yeah what.
Speaker 2: What Well, that's what I was asking him because yeah, yeah, I didn't. I thought he was pretending to be in christ Jute, which is a weird thing to do.
Speaker 7: I mean, maybe it's twenty degrees insided the part Now there's a hell of a stubble is fun? What bloody contrasted yesterday. Don Jesus, you're the weird degrees yesterday.
Speaker 2: The weird thing is I'm down on bluff and it's been about nineteen degrees. It's been a beautiful day. We haven't had the winds at all today. They must have come through yesterday or bypassed it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I don't we get it. We either have the easterly or we have the southerly, and very seldomly we get the northwester. But that's suddenly that comes down the porthills can be bloody freezing, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 2: So what's the situation?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 13: Have you got?
Speaker 2: Now you've got there's no flooding.
Speaker 7: Is there? I just drove through some flooding and Shirley, the Avon River is very, very high, very high. You almost think that's what durist at banks. I mean, if you looked in the red zone, that place would be an absolute mess.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, okay, so this is quite serious. How long do you think it's been raining for?
Speaker 5: Well, that's quite interesting.
Speaker 7: That's actually only been raining in the rain all day. But we had a clear morning up until about ten ten thirty and then it just it's just it's just been persistent then, and I think it's probably it's the patchy nature so with trying that rain doesn't appear that much. But what they're experiencing over at North North Canonbury Ways would be it's quite sporadic. I think.
Speaker 2: In the emogent you say that they look like the avon was up. Does it look like the emergency services are onto it? They know what's going on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so. I think that it's come. There are some sort of offshoots that they can open up, Like I know they've got a that on that on the Hespit River. I know that's separate, but they can open that up and allow more water to go into that river. They've got a they've got a stop damp or like one of those steel things that stops the water going in, and they can open that up at high pressure. But yeah, bloody with you. It's not rained like this.
Speaker 20: For a long time.
Speaker 2: So when you say you still flooding at Shirley, are they onto it? Are the emergency services diverting traffic and stuff that's all happening?
Speaker 7: Well, No, to be honest, I mean it's it's the east side. Have you heard any stories about how they treat the east side.
Speaker 2: I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, yeah, that's it in a nutshell, I would imagine.
Speaker 16: Okay, Unfortunately, I mean the emergency services can only do so much. I mean you're still going to get lunatics that want to splash water all around the place, and you know, so just keep case everybody, I guess driving out there, you know, splitting around.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's very good, reporter, so I thank you for that. Twenty three past eleven, Hello, Marcus. It's nine degrees in christ moment and there has been a heavy hail and burnside that it's finished now yesterday thirty degrees here in Chrost Church. We're in Marshall and have been raining since ten am. Three heavy rain. It's freezing. We live beside a lake. It's the highest I've seen in ten years living here. We are in sprayed in Chrost. Jurge definitely got twenty degrees of freezing southerly heavy rain. This after an evening high windsurface flooding. Don't know where he is, but it's like eleven degrees here, Marcus. Have been outside in Fendleton it's coldon feels like about eight degrees. Marcus Cash and waterproof envelope, envelope and safe safe buried in lawn. No need for neighbor. The other thing I told you i'd read you earlier, as I've got a bit of spare time and I'm going to do this for you. I'm just going to bring this up with my computer. The first inaugur rate. This is on the back of the assassination of JFK. The first inauguration of Lyndon B. Johnson as the thirty sixth President the United States was held on Friday, November twenty second a board Air Force one at Dallas love Field following the assassination of President JFK early that day. The inauguration, the eighth non scheduled extraordinary inauguration ever take place, marked the commencement of the first term of Lyndon B. Johnson's president, goes on to say, at twelve thirty Central sentdard time in London. On November twenty second, Kinny was shot in Dallas while riding with his wife, Jacqueline and the presidential motoricayed. Vice President Johnson was riding in the car beside the President with his wife, Lady B. Johnson, and Texas Senator Ralph Yarborough. Immediate after the shots were fired, Johnson was thrown down and set on by Secret agent Rufus Youngblood, and the President's and Vice President's car sped to park On Royal Hospital. Their initial reports that Johnson might have also been shot, slightly wound in the arm, or that had been suffered another heart attack, and Missus Johnson confirmed reporters he was fine and did not suffer any injury or illness other than being shaken at what he had seen. In the hospital, Johnson was surrounded by Secret Service agents, who encouraged him to return to Washington in case he too was targeted for assassination. Johnson wished to wait until he knew of Kennedy's condition. At one twenty pm, he was told Kennedy was dead and left the hospital almost twenty minutes later. At this point, arrangements were made to provide Secret Service protection of the two Johnson daughters, and it was decided the new Present would leave on the presential aircraft because it had better communication equipment. Johnson was driven by an none marked police cutter, Dallas love Field, and kept below the car's windows level throughout the journey. The Present waited for Jaquelin Kennedy, who in turn would not leave Dallas without her husband's body to arrive aboard Air Force one. Kenny's casket was finally brought to the aircraft. That takeoff was delayed until Johnson took the oath of office. There was concern that since the Secret Service had taken the body of Kenney from Parkman Hospital against the wishes, the Dallash Medical Examiner, Earl Rose, who insisted in autopsy was required, would seek to prevent Air Force one taking off. And then President Johnson chose Federal District Judge Series, who's a long standing friend, to swear him. And so there we go. The inauguration happened on the plane with Jacqueline Kennedy there, which is a bizarre set of circumstances. Anyway, It's not going to get where we're going to get tonight, though, is it. But yeah, I've read some remarkable testimony to that. You can read more at your leisure. Anyway, it's fourteen to twelve. If you want to talk on Marcus Head on Midnight, Marcus Fhi Joe as a repulse of the taster is like biting into an old hairdresser. What a great turna turn of expression that is love. That Johnson was the first president of the United States to visit New Zealand. It's a great bit of Trevor. I never knew that. Wow, I've seen footage of him. I think up by the Big Guy the Hotel Intercontinental with protesters. Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus lash Nights, listen live to News Talk sa'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.