Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by.
Speaker 2: News Talk sat B.
Speaker 3: Hi there and welcome into a new week and a new episode of the Sports Fixed podcast from Monday, December sixteenth.
Speaker 4: I'm Jason Pine. Thanks for our downloading and listening in.
Speaker 3: Hayden Wild is with us today off the back of his performance at the Ironman seventy point three events in Topoor yesterday, much longer than the usual Olympic distance events that Hayden Wild is known for. Buddies still came home in second place. Remarkable stuff. Haiden Wilganu are unpacked that for us. Elijah a few pops into the chamber for a chat about the lack of Test cricket after this current Test and whether or not the darts at Ali Pally is capturing his attention. We'll look at the big sports stories floating around today as well, so let's get into.
Speaker 2: It in other news.
Speaker 3: And as always we do begin with the big sports stories leading your news today. White Ferns coach Ben Sawyer wants his side to carry their T twenty Cricket World Cup momentum into their first home ODI series of the summer against Australia Stardom on Thursday at the Base of the Reserve.
Speaker 5: We spoke about that all along the times there when things weren't exactly going our way. It's hard to believe that you are making progress and obviously when you start winning games, you need that and then you believe it. And now the girls know that you can compete with the world's best and be the world's best.
Speaker 3: Meantime, across the Tasman, a spicy start between Kiwi's Finn Allen and Adam Milne to open the Big Bash.
Speaker 6: She's so it's kind of the same, la, Welcome to the Big first fin.
Speaker 2: Ellen for six says have some of that you hear me?
Speaker 6: Sticks with your.
Speaker 3: Palms, yeah, sticking out from Finn Allen at the hands of Adam Milne. And Manchester United have scored twice in the last five minutes done Crosstown rivals Manchester City two one in the Premier League.
Speaker 6: It did mean get even better for Manchester United. I'm from one little jin the an chestinan liften of churn and around use Candabinion.
Speaker 1: It's Sportsfix with Jason Lyne.
Speaker 3: Here's a list of cricket scores for you. Fifty one not seventy seven, fifty eight, fifty six, one, one hundred and eight not out, thirteen, forty two, one hundred and seventy six, forty three, fifty four, two hundred not out, four, one hundred and four not out, two hundred and fifty one, forty three, one hundred and thirty three not out, forty four and currently one hundred and eight not out. Those are Cain Williamson's Test innings at seven Park, twenty one innings across twelve Test matches, an incredible fifteen hundred and sixty six runes at the even more extraordinary average of ninety seven point eighty seven as we speak, seven hundreds, including a couple of double centuries, our best ever Test score of two fifty one against the West Indies there four years ago, a further five fifties and just four times dismissed in single figures. Oddly enough, two of those were in his first three Knox one and nought. But after that it has been buckets and buckets of runs in Hamilton for a bloke who trades in that currency for a living. Speaking of which as we speak, Kin Williamson now has approaching nine two hundred and fifty Test runs. That's over fifteen hundred more than our next best Ross Taylor. So you have to think the ten thousand run milestone, which has been achieved by just fourteen men in the entire history of Test cricket, is well and truly within Cain Williamson's reach. The only thing really that will stop him getting there is playing enough Test matches. But the way he's going, it'll only take him another ten or maybe a dozen Test matches to bring up ten thousand runs.
Speaker 4: Here's an idea. If New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Cricket wants to speed that process up, they should display every single Test match at home at Seddon Park.
Speaker 1: Leading a vex.
Speaker 4: We've got just the ticket.
Speaker 1: It's Sportsvex powered by News Talks Evy.
Speaker 3: On the Sports Fix podcast. A podium finish for Kiwi triathlete Hayden Wilde in his first iron Man World Championship event in Topoor yesterday. The Olympic Selve medalists play second behind Belgian Yellaheens whild coming home in three hours, thirty three minutes and twenty two seconds. Hayden wild is with us on Sports Fix. Congrats on a terrific performance yesterday, Hayden. How's the body and how do you reflect on yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, body is tired, I can tell you that, free, but.
Speaker 7: Really happy I raced and yeah, like happy to raise on my own terms and go out as I like to race and make it relatively entertaining. And yeah, they're not not bad finishing second second overall with yeah, my kind of my Yeah, my first seventy point three this year. Last one I raced was in Melbourne in November last year. So you're pretty happy with kind of how the body was able to hold up in that sort of distance.
Speaker 3: How does it compare to completing the shorter Olympic distance events.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty tough a obviously, you know. It's it's purely on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pacing, you know, it's it's really hard hard to do and hard to kind of master that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I went out on the run and it was just like for me, you know, and then we run outs at sub three minute kilometers and you know, to hold back and run, you know, trying to slow down as was extremely hard to do. Just like bi mechanically, my body likes to run fast and to hold it back is really hard to do, and you know with learning that that will will come in time. But it's just like more of a patience game more than a dual. You can to get the finish line first, and you're obviously like the intensity is still extremely high in this sort of distance, but it's at the same time it's all about patients in waiting. But it's just like more of like a muscle fatigue than just like pure blowing up.
Speaker 2: You're just kind of grinding all out.
Speaker 3: You must take a huge degree of confidence, though, do you given the fact that you don't race this distance very often, haven't, as you've said, done it for over a year, do you take confidence of the fact you competed so well yesterday despite.
Speaker 7: That, Yeah, definitely. You know, like I was in the unknown of what to expect, and you know I raced. There was guys in the start line that went to the Olympics, and you know they were, you know, a good three four minutes behind me, so like taking them to retrospect, you know, pretty stoked of where I finished. And as you said, like these guys have been racing this distance for the last few years and all like the year round, and you know, they've got their body's kind of tailored to the sort of race and the patients and the and their own pacing, and you obviously I've still a little bit to work on on the pacing side. I know I'm capable of, you know, extremely fast runs off the bike, but it's just like, you know, tailoring your body into the race, like you can't. You can't be training for a half marathon and expect to do well on a marathon, you know. So it's just one of those those like little things that's kind of relatable to some people. So yeah, obviously I'm normally normally running ten k, not twenty one k, so it's you know, it's a different kitler fish.
Speaker 2: But I really enjoyed it out there. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: So then as you look ahead, I understand you're keen to do more of the longer distances, but still keep your hand in and the shorter distances. And obviously with a look ahead to the next Olympics. So in twenty twenty five, how will you find that balance?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was the main The main goal was to do do it, like, not be super focused on World series. You know, I'll still do one or two to keep relevant, then keep a small ranking, so maybe one or two races, but like, I just want to change and have a different kind of mindset into some racing. And the soon you point through racing and the T one hundred series are more or less around that three to three and a half hours, and you know, it's the same kind of intense, it's just below the intense that we're doing for Olympic distance. It's just getting faster and faster. So yeah, not too worried about that. I think it would just more so make me a good base over the next few years. And then for the supertry stuff is just to kind of you know, keep that speed and that aggression and that kind of you know, high octane race kind of mentality as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's going to be an.
Speaker 7: Interesting year next year and it's going to be going to be fun and we will see how we go.
Speaker 4: So what is your next event?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my.
Speaker 7: First race actually will be an ABBI so it's just like a World Series race. It's in February for me. Yeah, I'll just be gone on that race to to show face. Essentially, I won't be I won't be super fit, but you know, I like turning out to race, and I was going to be in uber w anyway for training camp, and then you know, a few months after that will be the first the half distance in Singapore, so yeah, now looking forward to that, and then yeah, the season will carry on until December again. So our seasons are getting longer and longer, which is as part of the body. But as long as you kind of maintain it and keep you know, sensible in training and racing, you know, you can kind of make it.
Speaker 2: But it's pretty it's pretty rough, all right.
Speaker 3: And with twenty twenty four now then in the books remarkable year for you hate them with what you achieved Olympics yesterday in topor you know, World Series, all of that stuff. How do you reflect on twenty twenty four as a whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's been an incredible season.
Speaker 7: You know, my goals, my ambitions were to win obviously the Olympics, the World Series, the Super Try and the seventy point three and to podium and it's three and to win one that is not is not bad at all.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm pretty happy with that.
Speaker 7: And obviously you know, the coming out at the start of the year and having those as my goals was going to be an extremely hard challenge. It's three different, three different distances and three different kind of intensities, so to kind of come away and be podium and all those as it was as a pretty awesome as a pretty awesome year. So real stoked of how I finished up, and yeah, it's been an awesome Now I can reflect a little bit personally and then see what we can do for next year to try and you know, up those results and you know gets get.
Speaker 2: Some even even more wins over that that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we look forward to seeing what plays out in twenty twenty five. In the meantime, Hayden, congratulations on a terrific twenty twenty four with your result in top or yesterday, just the latest today, a long list of excellent achievements for you. Thanks for joining us on the sports Flex podcast. It's Hayden Wild. The Chamber is now in session on sports Fix on the.
Speaker 4: Sports Flex podcast. Into the People's Chamber we go.
Speaker 3: This is a feature of our Monday which has become very popular. When Elijah It was not here, we get howls of protest and a lot of complaints via mail, email and the regular stuff.
Speaker 4: Good day. Have you here today though?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Not see that.
Speaker 8: I'd rather be in the chamber than outside right now because it is raining. Unfortunately. I thought it was going to be the start of summer. But a slight blip there just for today.
Speaker 3: Well, you're in our Auckland studios. I'm in Wellington and I can tell you it's the same here. But we're sort of used to it down here.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: You get a beautiful day in Wellington and then all of a sudden you get reminded about where you are, and here we are, Monday, sixteen December.
Speaker 4: All sorts of rain around. Anyway, we digress, we digress.
Speaker 3: Let's talk a couple of sporting issues while the Test is ongoing in Hamilton for today, presumably tomorrow and maybe even Wednesday as well. That will be it, Elijah, as far as Test cricket is concerned for the summer. So by the eighteenth of December, our test cricket for the summer here at home will be done, all done.
Speaker 4: It's early, isn't it.
Speaker 8: It's very early and it's probably not the Christmas present you'd want if you're a Test cricket fan. Having a look at next year's schedule, it looks as though we're likely to go to face Zimbabwe and Western These on the calendar, which is probably not the most appealing Test schedule when you look at things. Obviously, twenty twenty six is going to be a nice big year against Australia and India and England likely, but yeah, next year, yeah, not looking too pleasing if you're a big fan of the format.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love my cricket, I absolutely love it, and I'm a self confessed red ball cricket fan. I could easily sit on the bank at the Basement Reserve and watch a game of planket shield, let alone Test cricket. It is my favorite type, but I do like all types of cricket. So I'm trying to get enthused about the international season ahead. But I look at it and I see three T twenties against Sri Lanka at the back end of December and into early January, then three One Day internationals against Sri Lanka between January five and eleven, then nothing until March when Pakistan arrived for five T twenties and into April three one day internationals. So I don't know, I'm just finding it hard to get into thosday. It always feels as though, you know, when February March rovels around, a team should be arriving with their whites and they're red balls and be ready to play some Test cricket here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure, and it's definitely going to be the summer of T twenty crickets. We've seen over the last decade. Also how slowly tea twenty cricket has become and it's led to all these global franchise leagues around the world, and obviously our international calendar here in New Zealand is going to be full of Tea twenties, so we're going to have to get used to some of these immediate results within twenty overs rather than things dragging out over a maximum of five days.
Speaker 4: But yes, it's going to be different. I'd definitely say that.
Speaker 3: I guess what it does do if there is a silver lineup here is it makes a lot of players available for their provinces at a time where again it's the white ball stuff, it's the super smash over the sort of Christmas New Year into the back end of January. But I guess with the fact that there's you know, those games against r ANKA and that's all I guess. You know, presumably these players will make themselves available. You might get to see the likes of Right and Revenge Ra and Kane Williamson and Glenn Phillips and others actually turn out for their provinces. I know they do it, you know, here and there, but maybe it'll be a bit more regular over the sort of January February period. Having said that, though, I know a couple of them meeting off to play some franchise cricket in South Africa, for example, Kane Williamson and Devin Conway are doing that. So it's all swings and roundabouts, isn't it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I guess if you're a player like King Williamson, you know, part of the reason you decided to sign a casual contract was because you still love Test cricket. But unfortunately you might if you're a player like King Williamson, you probably feel as that you're being sold a little bit short in terms of not having that healthy appetite of Test cricket at home. Yes, there's an opportunity to turn out for your province if you want to, but Cain's decided that South African teed Twiny Crickets franchise cricketers best for him over January. So yeah, I think I don't blame a guy like Ken Williamson opting to go that route and you know, trying to make this coming summer as best as it could be for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we'll make the best of it. We'll watch these games, we'll comment on them, we'll get along to them. But yeah, it's just a shame that the red ball and the white clothing will be going away in about forty eight hours, not to be seen again, as you say, like just until the middle of next year when we head to Zimbabwe. Another feature of this time of the year is the World Darts Championships. This has ground and popularity at Ali Pali Alexandra Palace in London. It started today. I think this morning was the first, the first session. It goes through past Christmas into the new Year. You're a fan of the arrows, fan of the darts.
Speaker 8: I think I'm more of a fan of the actual atmosphere at Ali Pelly. I mean, if you want to have fun, that's probably the place you want to be. Everyone all dressing up and the atmosphere, the noise, everyone holding the one hundred and eighty signs. There's such a great environment to be a part of. But I guess the big thing around the World Dares Championship is every year it seems to be a story of an unknown who comes out of nowhere. That last time around was Luke Littler, the sixteen year old who you know took the world by storm. Really and hopefully we see another person this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Luke Littler, Luke Humphries.
Speaker 3: They were the two finalists last year, wentn't they with Luke Humphries winning the world title. Luke Littler, though, was the name on everybody's lips. Yeah, who knows what names will emerge over the next month or so.
Speaker 4: I see kere we.
Speaker 3: Ben Robb is playing his first round match tomorrow morning at Alipelly. But it has to be a bucket list, doesn't it? For sports Fest. They don't seem to have any trouble selling tickets, oh for sure.
Speaker 8: And I imagine if Ben Robb is the story that comes out of the torn And I don't want to drink something because he hasn't played yet, but imagine he doesn't make a late change for the Holbur if he you know, it makes it all the way to the final and he may go beats Luke hemp Freeze in the final.
Speaker 4: Imagine that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, hey, a darts player as the supreme Helberg winner.
Speaker 4: Whoever thought we'd see the day?
Speaker 3: Well look, look is nothing is off the table, as we often say, and the People's Chamber, nothing is off the table.
Speaker 4: I think though.
Speaker 3: That brings to an end the People's Chamber for twenty twenty four because this is the last week of the Sports Fix podcast before the pot itself takes a summer break. So thank you for all your contributions during twenty twenty four. Elijah, I hope you have a great summer break if indeed you are getting one, and I will invite you back into the Chamber when twenty twenty five rolls.
Speaker 1: Around the Worris dissecting the sporting agenda, it's Sports Fix with Jason Vine and.
Speaker 3: That brings to an end the Sports Fix podcast for today. We really appreciate you listening in. If you would like more of this sort of thing in your ear as well, all you have to do is subscribe and a new episode will drop into your podcast feed automatically. At about the same time tomorrow afternoon and every weekday and for more from US Talks EDB. Sport listening to Sports Talk every weeknight between seven and eight pm and weekend Sports Saturday and Sunday between midday and three.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks EDB, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on Iartradio