Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks.
Speaker 3: Be greetings, greetings, and warmness to you all.
Speaker 4: My name is Darcy Walter Rave and this is the Sports Fix podcast.
Speaker 3: It's a Wednesday.
Speaker 4: It's the ninetheenth of February twenty twenty five and lined up for your pleasure today, Chris Keynson joins us, former Black Cat all rounder and a man who scored her down in the final of the Champions Trophy way back in the day.
Speaker 3: We'll look forward to the opening game up against Pakistan.
Speaker 4: I've got some opinion around the way the n Z can climb their way out of the fiscal hole that they've found themselves in might.
Speaker 3: Not be popular.
Speaker 4: They might have to sell their sould to plastic, but I think that it worked. And then Clay Wilson joined us in the chamber of Clays, the sports news director for News Talk to ZB.
Speaker 3: That's what we're doing, so let's get a mark slighted up it down here on the Fix.
Speaker 5: In other news, I am sportsman, hear me raw Helberg, sports bloke of the year gold medal Olympic hijack boss.
Speaker 4: Hamish Ker might not be leaping at the upcoming World Indoor Champs and Nanjing. He hasn't qualified, but he seems unconcerned.
Speaker 3: He's a busy lady.
Speaker 6: Come my season short Postparis, and I just meant I didn't actually do any comps within the windows, so yeah, still just trying to knock that off and then also just trying to work out with a need to go.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: I think there's a lot of things kind of pulling in vierious directions these days.
Speaker 4: Dan Carter, Southbridge's greatest export, has joined the mob climbing into Fantasy Super Rugby Pacific tweety twenty.
Speaker 3: Five at the behest of his child.
Speaker 4: Carter, the husband of chemist warehouse speaker Honored Dylan, hasn't covered himself in glory though, and he has to leave his best pick on the bench this week.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm probably pretty low after one, although I did have Dame McKenzie as captain, so he's got me a few points. But I find the Crusaders this week, so I think I must have dropped my captain.
Speaker 9: Mac sorry mate.
Speaker 4: And seven times Fourgulna one World Champs. S Lewis Hamilton has received a rousing reception at F one's official launch. The Englishman who jumped ship from mer Sadies to Ferrari in the off season is upbeat. Now just wait until the wheels fall off and the Taphosi come acclling.
Speaker 10: In bigger easy, because I feel so full of life and so much energy because everything's new, and just focus on what's up ahead. I'm so proud to be a part of the team, something new and exciting.
Speaker 3: The Taphosi here, that's the fanatical Italian Ferrari fan base, and they are today's sports speak samples.
Speaker 2: You say it's sports Fix with Dancie Valdegrave.
Speaker 4: As we all know in z Are aren't exactly great with money. Well, they try really hard, but it just seems to run through their fingers like sands through the hour glass. These are the days of their lives. So how can they get more cash? So Jim Radcliffe doesn't want to give them any at all, not entirely sure what's going on with silver Ac. I don't think anyone else is either. So how do they pay the wagers bill of all of the All Blacks and everybody else beneath them. Here's my cunning plan. It's a master plan. You can thank me later. There's a blake floating around New Zealand at the moment that appears to be spending a lot of time on Twitter, a lot of time telling people exactly.
Speaker 3: What he thinks. This bloke has also got powerful.
Speaker 4: Amounts of cash, stupid amounts of money. How did he get that money? Well, he's reconstituted plastic and sold it globally. His name is Nick Mowbray. He's in charge or part of the group that runs Zuru Toys. So why not sell All Blacks naming rights to Zuru. This is It's not as stupid as it seems. This is a fantastic idea zero across the front of the All Blacks. Imagine the licensing for the toys that they could sell once they've climbed on with the all Blacks. It is all most limitless. It will go absolutely global. They have a knack for understanding what the kids want, and the kids, of course are the growth area, and of course the adults to what the kids want. It just grows exponentially. He's been extraordinarily successful with Zeru. I think he wants to do something good with his money and what can be better than contributing to our national game. And the All Blacks come on and said, are go and knock on the door. You've got no money. You get scanned by billionaires all the time. Why not move in with one. We hope you can trust the All Blacks with Zeru. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Dissecting the sporting agenda. It's Sportsfix with Darcy Waldgrave.
Speaker 4: That's more and welcome to the podcast to former Black Cap all rounder and a man who smashed the winning runs and the Champions Trophy way back in the day, Chris Kensky. Chris, I trust you well and I'm looking forward to the entertainment. Must be hard for you looking at the Champions Trophy which does start at ten o'clock's Pakistan without going all the way back in history to that wonderful day when the Black CAP's actually won something of promise and prominence and you scored the tonne hit the winning run.
Speaker 3: So you got to go back there memory lane, don't you. Chris.
Speaker 9: It was more the fact that adam PERORI nearly broke my back when he jumped on me sort of as we were running off the field, which is sort of quite a that's actually that's one of my most vivid memories made of sort of turning around and seeing MAVs sort of sprinting towards me and I'm going, he's not slowing down, so boom I collected him and and we headed off the field. And yeah, look it was a it was a it was a wonderful I mean put it in perspective. Look, we only won three games, right, so I mean we won a global trophy. We big zim. I didn't play the Semisu, we won the first machgan Zim. I played the sim against Pakistan. Roger Two's played really really well in that and so contributions from everybody. And then in the final against the good Indian side and and so mate, it was it was really rewarding with a good group of guys and also you know under Tristy and Jeff Crow to sort of share that, and you know, and the late Christopher Dorg was in the dressing room with us.
Speaker 3: On on that on that moment as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the better CEOs I think New Zealand Crickets either had Chris Still you know, you look back with you roast in to classes because it was a wonderful time and I still remember how stoked I was watching that.
Speaker 3: So we're doing it all over again. But let's talk about the Champions Trophy and.
Speaker 4: Where it actually sits in the landscape of cricket because it is such a congested skyline now with peaks all over the show.
Speaker 3: I'm not even sure where this sits.
Speaker 8: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Do the players not? Does anybody know?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think you're right, sir, I mean, just looking at them made So it's the first time it's been played since twenty seventeen, so we're talking eight years since they've sort of dusted it off and brought it back out. I mean, we've had COVID in between that and whatnot, so it seems to be, you know, a bit of an after thought.
Speaker 3: We've got the.
Speaker 9: ICC T twenty World Cup, there's the fifty over comp and then you know, there's this sort of I suppose shortened high intensity Champions Trophy game where the top eight teams and you know, you go through so effectively made it sort of cuts out all the bollocks of a World Cup at the beginning and you get down to the business end. And that's essentially what this is so it's you know, you've got to you got to win from the start, and you know every match matters.
Speaker 3: Simplicity.
Speaker 4: I think this is something that a lot of us really treasure in this day and age where there's so many complexities and nuance around so many competitions in sport. This is nice and simple to group. So for the top two from each group play in the semi finals, you have a final, and then bang, it's all over. There's something refreshing about that, Chris.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it sort of goes back to us, like to ninety two and the World Cup when we had the nine teams and everybody played everybody, and you know, and it was every every match, every match counted. And the good thing with this tournament and may compared to some of the elongated tournaments that they've done now to sort of get extra games for you know, broadcast contracts and revenues and delivering matches, et cetera. This is every every game now will be a good game and or a good match, and so you know that that's the positive side to it. You shouldn't sit through too many one side of or lopside of games, so you know, the players will have to be up for it straight away, where where it sort of sets sore is going forward? You know, I don't know, you know, I really I really don't. But look it's only I think, what it's only a week and a half or two weeks, you know, compared to a five or six week of a World Cup, So you know it's a bit of a in there and and sort of thrash it out and a winner.
Speaker 4: New Zellan I've got more than a starters chance of actually doing well on this time.
Speaker 3: And haven't they?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think they have made I mean then the leader, you know, the form's been, perform has been great. But then you look at the women's t twenty and their form is horrendous and.
Speaker 3: They ended up winning the tournament.
Speaker 9: I think these tournaments are like that, right. I don't think you can take any form before the tournament as any indicator whatsoever. And so it comes into winning that first match. You know, you get a good feel within the camp and you get a roll on. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 3: Made.
Speaker 9: The teams that win first up I think sort of give themselves a huge chance in the tournament straight away. And New Zealand's done all the front running against Pakistan, and the two matches that had just previously in the warm up played brilliantly. You know, leed really really well by Mitch Satner, both him and embraceful bowling. You know, twenty overs of quality spin. Matt Henry just continues to do what he does. You know, Willow Rawkes, he's he's going to be special. And then you know, I've got those power headers in the middle, so that they've got a really nice unit New Zealand.
Speaker 3: But look, we always have a nice unit.
Speaker 9: So you know, but Pakistan first up in Pakistan, not having had any international tournament there for twenty years, they were on a massive hot streak leading into the matches against New Zealand and they hadn't lost any matches so and they chased down three fifty I think against South Africa as well in the tournament. So that's a dangerous, dangerous team. So if you get the crowd going and they get their tails up, I think Harris Ralf, I'm not sure if he's still injured, but if he comes back, you know, they've got a strong quick bowling trio. So they're going to be really dangerous. Made if New Zealand can can get up over this. That'll that'll, that'll set them up really really well for the rest of the tournament.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on.
Speaker 4: Sports X and direct from the news Talk z B Sports news Room, if there's such a thing.
Speaker 3: Director of Sport, Hey Wilson joins us in the Chamber. Hello, Clay. There is a news room out there, isn't there?
Speaker 8: There is still a newsroom that runs out there, beavering away and bringing the news.
Speaker 7: To the people, finding out everything we need to know about sport, which is while we've got your you here to talk about the big sports stories of the day, I don't want to start off with the All Blacks return to the scene of the crime, back to Soldier Field in early November up against Ireland. I've got no money, right, they need to sell this like quids and they will, won't they?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Absolutely. I think like the the idea of taking games to the US from the start and still remains to be primarily for New Zealand rugby about cash and I don't think you can blame them on a lot of fronts really, obviously the game. You know, we've talked at nauseum in various different contexts about New Zealand rugby in their financial position and the need to drive revenue and not and this time they've got a, like you say, a storyline to kind of work around, haven't they, Because they've had a game there it didn't go well for the All Blacks, so now they can you know, work that that kind of angle around this game as well.
Speaker 4: I think it's consistency of appearances in the United States of America. Plainly they're building up and up and up with Major League rugby over there. I've got a lot of expats over in the United States of America helping, and of course the World Cup is on its way for men and women, so they need traction and by using the All Blacks, which is the biggest brain in world rugby, to make it, I suppose common ground for the American public. I think it's important slightly, but surely they'll break through.
Speaker 3: Possibly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if people are going to continues on the rapey, we say we're going to pay you X amount of dollars if you bring the All Blacks here, and that's something is significant, you know, in terms of the terms of rugby. I think we've spoken about this as well. Breaking through in the US I don't necessarily see it. The landscape there is dominated by so many other sports. But if rugby can get a small foothold in the US one or two percent, whatever the figure is, it's still a big market. It's still worth a lot of money. So yeah, really, I no brainer that it sounded like it was always going this way. They were trying to make this this game happen, and it works well. In terms of going over to do the northern two of the End of View tour, they can stop and on the way.
Speaker 4: I can guarantee they won't turn up half baked like last time around, will they?
Speaker 3: It won't just be We'll be fine. It's just the Irics to America. It's a display orps what want?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, like of this game is about primarily about money. But for those players that were involved, and even the ones that are playing now that watched on there is that i'ment to it now that that that's, like you say, the scene of the crime, those players will want to get some kind of revenge, redemption, whatever you want to call it, for what happened and how significant that was. It was such a big blow to kind of the all blacks, you know, or to whe whenever you lose to a team you've never lost to. So so yeah, look, I think this this game will will have interest just for that alone.
Speaker 4: Wait to them Americans starts splitting the halves up into quarters so they can fit more commercial revenue.
Speaker 3: Only a matter of time. Let's move away from that. Let's move to the Champions Trophy gets under way tonight. Where where does this sit for you? Because it's such a pope.
Speaker 4: Arri of icy seed tournaments non icy seed tournaments every half an hour, there's another major.
Speaker 3: Of cricket and I don't know is it losing it? Shine? Where does this sit for you?
Speaker 8: Clay Well, we're just talking about money and Chicago and rugby. Why was the Champions Trophy started in the first place? From memory, it was around kind of generate more revenue for cre So.
Speaker 3: Where does the Champions Trophy sit for u? Clay Well, I mean.
Speaker 8: It's a tournament, it's another tournament. What does it actually mean? I don't really think it particularly has any kind of real signal. That's a penicill event, Come on, man. But that's not to say that I won't watch it. When the black Caps are playing at an international level particularly because quite often when the black Caps play, especially in white ball cricket, if it's not an ICC tournament, it doesn't what does it really mean? They play for rankings, okay, but.
Speaker 3: For all stuff, and it loses a bit of it's punch.
Speaker 8: Do we really care about it that much? Not that we don't watch, but I just think, you know, when you when you have a white ball white you have white ball cricket matches that the black Caps are playing, and they actually have a meaning for something. It's something to get behind, especially if they do well. Right, So yeah, let's let's see if people get behind it. But a simple format, you know, two pools of four, you get in the top two in your pool, you got to semi finals, which is refreshing in this day and age, isn't it. I don't know about you, but I feel like so many talent's not even cricket these days, but so many tournaments try and follow Football's Champions League. You have to have a degree in like quantum physics to figure out how the groups work, you know what I mean. So it's refreshing, isn't it? To have a simple form?
Speaker 4: Are you likely to stay out to the very grim death that starts at ten finishes probably four or five in the morning, is near.
Speaker 8: And talk to me when we get to a semi final, a fair enough maybe a final, probably a semi final. Yeah, come back, come back to me when we heard.
Speaker 4: The other lost cool peak your battles, and you'll know exactly what I do, because the next few days at work, well tomorrow specifically, it's going to be a train wreck because I would have had absolutely no sleep. More soever, moving on to yet another how many stories, how many consortiums, how many groups of people are trying to get another an RL team or get State of Origin over to New Zealand. It's a broken recorders. Sir Graham Low, I love him very much. Fantastic career. He's hitched his name to another wagon. It's not happening. It's never going to happen, is it.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 8: I mean I don't see I don't see any signs in the in the short to medium to even long term future that it's going to happen. Obviously, the Southern Orcas, which are one of the christ huge bids for a new NRL team, they've come out and said that they think they can get State of Origin to Christ Judge obviously to Kaha. The new stadium is about to open.
Speaker 4: That's probably the biggest drawer car, possibly the only drawer car.
Speaker 8: But one thing that's really missing here is the NRL saying anything about it. The ARL who effectively own and run State of Origin, so the key.
Speaker 4: Stakeholders haven't said anything. It's just some noise coming from Christ here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and look, without knowing, you know how much real traction is behind this, and you know, if the NRL are interested at all, what I can see in this stuff today is that they haven't spoken to the NRL, and the NRL haven't said anything about about this, and that leads me to presume that this perhaps it could just be a way of drumming up a bit of momentum, a drive, even a way of getting the n L to the table to talk about their bid to get in the NRL. Is it just leverage for that? I don't know, but you know, I think.
Speaker 3: They're using us, argue, they're using us to get into the news.
Speaker 4: Maybe someone will listen there too, busy schmoozing Donald Trump, they're not listening.
Speaker 8: And do you know what I don't If I was them, i'd probably be doing this the same things makes sense. I don't necessarily blame them for it. I just think, yeah, like you say, we've had that many stories and releases about bids, and now a bid saying that they're going to get stut of origin here. If the NRL, the ARL, the organizations that control these things aren't saying anything, then you know it's not really anything to get too weaked up about, does it?
Speaker 3: They make a noise that definitely bumps the needle.
Speaker 8: If Peter Valandi's comes out and says we're actually quite interested in that, boom, there's your story, you know, because he won't say it if he doesn't really mean it. And whether that's about the bid state of Origin coming to New Zealand. But until that happens, and I haven't seen any sign years until that happens. But great, great if it happens. I mean, with the state of origins in New Zealand, are you going to go and try and watch that game?
Speaker 3: Hell?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah? So as a fan, bring it on. You know, I would love for it to happen, but I'll get excited when I know that it's actually happening.
Speaker 4: Clay Wilson, Sports news director for News Talks here, be get to back into that newsroom and round up some of your staff and get on the working Thank you very much for your time, mister wils So.
Speaker 2: This is Sports Fix, your daily does of sports news powered by News Talks EB.
Speaker 4: And that's a wrap, the Sports Fix for another day, another dollar. It's been Wednesday, the nineteenth of feb twenty twenty five. My name is Darcy Waldgrave. It's been a pleasure bringing you this fix. And if you'd like more interact of audio when it comes to sport by all means sports talk on news Talk ZB from seven to eight pm Monday to Friday with Jason Pine or myself and if it's all about Piney and that's all you want, when you can right the way through the weekend weekend sport from midday through till three o'clock Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 3: And if you've liked what you've heard.
Speaker 4: Please subscribe and this will turn up in your inbox on an alarmingly regular basis. Tell your friends, tell your family as well, so we can spread the good word of the fis.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk ZEDB, listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you Wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.