Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter wolf Camp from News Talks B.
Speaker 2: A house sizzle even when it's.
Speaker 3: Dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the.
Speaker 2: Yard, even when a dog is too old to bar and when sitting at the table trying to.
Speaker 4: Just sisor.
Speaker 2: Even when we again, even when you're there alone.
Speaker 5: Well, a very very good morning, and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday here at News Talk c B. I'm Pete wolf Camp, resident Builder, and this is an opportunity to ask all sorts of questions or discuss and debate all sorts of issues regarding building. So whether it's building as in doing some maintenance around the house, like I suddenly realized yesterday that there was something that I should have done during the week and thought, while I'm waiting for the barbecue to heat up, I can finish that little job. So a couple of screws to block a timber and a few square drives, right, job done, stops that flapping around the wind. Any long story, I won't get into it here. Or you've got projects, perhaps like my mates where I was earlier in the day lifting out an oven that had come out of their house, to go to somebody else's house that sold it on trade Me or Facebook or whatever it is. And ahead of the builders moving in tomorrow to do a reasonable size sort of extension alteration to the back of the house, which had been something that had been in the works for a long time. So all of the planning, the preparation, the working through the various iterations of the design that you know, looking at the scale and scope of the building, you know, how much can we extend? Obviously every time we extend it's going to cost more money. So is there that mixture between Yah, I'd need more space, but I also have a budget that I'd like to stick to. So those sorts of issues are there. And then there's the practicalities of you know, maybe living without a kitchen sink for a couple of minutes. Well I was going to say a couple of minutes. It's not a couple of minutes. It's going to be a couple of months in their case. And then as it happened, the I went round to pick up an oven that I dropped off to a neighbor. They'd been introduced through Marketplace or whatever it is. So an old set of oven hobs, an old hob transport from one house to the other to a family that are also doing renovation. So we've all well, it feels like we've all been there in terms of the big renovation or the knocking the back of the house off, or living without a kitchen for a while, doing without a bathroom, often seeking favors from friends and neighbors while you get through that disruptive part of your life. If you'd like to talk about renovations, alterations, new bills, we can talk about all of that on the program this morning. If you've got a particular question around products or product supply and product selection as well, we can talk about that certainly. If you'd like to chat about regulations, rules and so on, we can talk about that. Actually, just go into a bit more detail a little bit later on. But an interesting update to a story or a caller that we had last week. If you recall a caller rang and said, look, I'm calling on behalf of my mate who's about to have his house demolish because council have decided that it's unconsented and they're going to roll the bulldozers through it next week. We had quite a decent conversation about that. Interesting to see that the story appeared online in the Herald yesterday or the day before, certainly yesterday talking about what I presume is the same situation, given that it would be a remarkably rare event for counsel after however long they've been negotiating with the homeowner around unconsented work, finally issues in order saying we're going to demolish your house. So that story's on the Herald website at the moment, but we might have a look because it is a little bit more context than the information we got from the caller last week on the show. So, as you can tell from my long winded introduction, there is plenty of scope to talk about all things building and construction, whether it's the practical, whether it's the theoretical in terms of the legislation, and whether it's the dollars and cents too in terms of choosing your products or even choosing your contractors as well. There's been a couple of interesting stories about that. Certainly during the course of the week, I've had a number of meetings with people just a construction sort of stuff. But one of the hot topics in discussion is around the self certification and the possibility that companies essentially will be able to, as one person put it in a discussion. I've heard this online as well, essentially mark your own homework. Right, So, if you are a building company and you get permission to self certify, what's the oversight apart from you marking your own homework? And is that going to work out well for the consumer in the end, Because ultimately that's who we should be thinking about, that's who we should be protecting. So if you have a comment or a question, or you want to talk about something regarding building, it's a pretty broad topic and we're here to take your calls right now. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. A slightly shorter program today, by the way.
Speaker 6: Excuse me.
Speaker 5: The All Blacks you may have heard playing France at the Star de France in Paris.
Speaker 6: Kick off we'll be at eight o'clock.
Speaker 5: We'll finish the show at around just before quarter to eight, and so Rudd will start a little bit earlier. Straight after the eight o'clock news. I'm going to introduce you to Hunter Moon. Hunter Moon is a young man that I met last week. He was competing along with nine other apprentices or eight other apprentices nine apprentices who were finalists for the Apprentice of the Year competition. So to get to the national final, he had to win the regional final and then the final will ask him about it. It's a bit of practical and then quite a long interview process as well, so you have to explain knowledge around building materials, building regulations, building processes and so on. And then he was awarded Apprentice of the Year at a very nice scala dinner last Friday Friday week and so I thought, right, we'll get him on the show. We did it last year with the Apprentice of the Year and hopefully this be regular things. So outstanding young man Hunter Mood. He'll come and join us after eight o'clock. We're also going to take a deep dive into some of the technical aspects around retro fitting for double glazing, So Nick Hardy Jones from Metro Performance Class will be joining us before eight o'clock. So maybe if you've got a specific question around that, we might be able to slip that into the conversation as well. But we'll want to take a deep dive into, you know, the mechanics around what types of sashes can be retrofitted, which ones can't, which ones might need to.
Speaker 6: Be replaced, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: So we'll do that with Nick Hardy Jones at around seven forty five this morning, Hunter Moon Apprentice of the Year after eight o'clock. Rid will join us earlier at around eight fifteen, and then we hand over to our commentary team at around eight forty five. So busy old morning. Now, that's my hint to say. Now is a really good time to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty. The lines are open looking forward to he calls your conversation this morning. It is fourteen minutes after six. Call us now, eight hundred eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: Oh, actually, I was just saying too Isaiah my producer. This morning, there was the ad just before for Lord of the Rings the musical. Actually got some tickets to go to that this week. It was outstanding. It was really really good. I don't know whether you could call me sort of a person that is into musicals as such, although increasingly I am like I've been to the Hamilton Musical couple of times, which I have just thought was absolutely amazing. Our son is involved in musical theater as well, including an upcoming actually it's on cheapest, not this week, not the week after, but two weeks away anyway, Alice of Wonderland at the ARTAA Center. So our boys involved in that anyway, So we went along. It's pretty bloody good to be fair, the Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 6: It was very good.
Speaker 5: It was quite entertaining. It's more than entertaining, was quite quite awe inspiring. Anyway, that was one night this week, which was right, let's get back to building. My daughter says a text Michelle Tixon. Daughter wants to put up a fence between her and one of her neighbors. Can she ask the neighbor to pay for half? Well, as it happens, the good news was last week on the show, we had an expert, a lawyer who's an expert on this, and yes, you can request a contribution from a neighbor for a fence that is built on the boundary as an exactly on the boundary, but you need to do so in accordance with the Fencing Act. So part of that process is to get some quotes for the fence and then put to the neighbor a request essentially with a formal letter or some correspondence to say this is my intention, and then under the Fencing Act, I'm requesting a contribution of half of the value of a standard fence. So if you want to do something more than a standard fe vent, your neighbor only needs to contribute what is considered half of the value of a standard fence. So yes, you can.
Speaker 6: It's particular.
Speaker 5: I suppose it's a lot simpler if there is no fence there at all at the moment. If there is one that's there, then sometimes there's an issue around dereliction as an you know, are you wanting to upgrade the fence for your benefit and want your neighbor to pay for it while the fence itself might be Okay, that's a slight different one. So let's assume that there is an a fence there or that it's in particularly poor condition. Yes, but you need to do it correctly. Oh that was the other thing. Actually, really interesting story grab my attention.
Speaker 6: The other day.
Speaker 5: It was a headline, little banner headline online again on the Herald website, talking about a neighbor who didn't need to contribute to the cost of an upgrade for a shared driveway, and it's been a topic that we've talked about on the show on number of occasions, so I'll dive into that in a minute as well. But with regard to the fence, yes, you can request a contribution from your neighbor. You have to do it under the Fencing Act. Go and have a look online for a bit more information on that and another quick text as well. Hey Pete, we had a kitchen leak under the cabinets onto the subfloor. Gray water from the dishwasher drain hose being gray water, does all particle board that's been in contact need to be replaced? Some parts have lost all integrity, so definitely being replaced, But wondering about the sound spots that have been wet now but are dry. Look some gray water is not the end of the world. Obviously, particle board doesn't really like being wet. In the trade, we tend to talk about it as turning into week books, which is probably not inappropriate. So I think those areas that have lost integrity. It's soft and you can tell that even if it's dried out, it's going to have no strength. Cut those pieces out, replace them, ideally with some flooring plywood, sysantannalized plywood. But areas that might have got wet but have dried out and are now sound, I would leave those there. I don't think you need to go chopping up all of the floor just for a leak, although it sounds like it's been a long term leak if it's allowed the particleboard to deteriorate to that stage. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call, just on the fence of the driveway story. Again, it's worth having a look online search for the story. So it was a slightly unusual situation in that the driveway was shared by let's say ten households.
Speaker 6: It was quite a large number.
Speaker 5: Of households had access to the driveway. It was obviously in poor condition. One of the affected parties took it upon themselves to coordinate with all of the other affected parties and got consent from nine out of the ten parties.
Speaker 6: To control tribute to the work.
Speaker 5: Provided some estimates, but couldn't get in touch with Seemingly the owner of one of the properties went ahead and did the work and then sent an invoice for one tenth of the cost of the job to the homeowner. That they had not been able to consult with and the homeowner refused to pay or the property owner refused to pay, and that went to the disputes tribunal, I think, and the dispute tribunal found that, in fact, they didn't need to contribute because they hadn't been consulted. And you know, potentially there's a whole lot of issues around why that person wasn't consulted, why they didn't respond, et cetera, et cetera. But either way, because they hadn't engaged and given consent, it would seem they were not then held liable for the contribution, which is an interesting one because it is something we've talked about on the show.
Speaker 6: Right, let's get into it.
Speaker 5: Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call Mike, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Morning, an old biller who's one hundred and four years old. And yeah, yeah, and Canry got quite a bad squeaky fall.
Speaker 5: Problem all through the house or just in a few spots and.
Speaker 4: Mainly in your traffic areas, but most rooms here and I'll pulled the carpet up. I'm go go cup of place coming on Tuesday at media and I got a I've got an e gun with a D guns yep, yesterday and I was trying to like nail down the bad areas and I can get it pretty good, but not one hundred.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I think with those sorts of things, you probably won't get it to one hundred. To be fair, the thought of you using a nail gun to nail down what I presume is nice old coworie floorboards, anyone who's ever done renovations will be it makes my fingers twitch basically, But anyway, we'll put that aside. M Yeah, look, I think you're doing the right thing. As in, I was going to ask, is it your intention to poly eurethane the floors and have them looking really great or you're just going to carpet over the top.
Speaker 6: If you are going to carpet over the top, that's good.
Speaker 5: Are the nails that you're using annually grooved nails probably not so. Flooring nails typically have like ribben ribs around them, like a that run around the shank of the nail, and what that does is it binds better, right, So typical nail guns don't necessarily have that. And also yours will have a nice big d head on them as well, which is to be fair and going to look a bit ugly nailed down through the floor. So again, if it was me, I would have perhaps gone through, punched some of the existing nails and added some flooring nails next to it. Given them you're going to be carpeting it and that will get rid of most of the squeaks. If there's an area where it's particularly bad, you might need to go underneath the floor and screw a cleat to the joist and then fix upwards and pull the floorboard down, or in some cases it's on my list of jobs to do, actually fix pieces apply to the underside so that all of the boards are bonded together. But look, in general, I think Mike, you're probably on the on the right track. Again, slightly horrifying thought of you using a nail gun on a nice old Cowie floor, but you're on the right track and you might just get it to a point where that's the best that you can do with that unless you start doing things like cleats and brackets and blocking underneath.
Speaker 6: Good luck.
Speaker 5: Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is then number to call Jamie. Good morning, Yeah, how are you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good things?
Speaker 10: Just as just a sort of a query curved jib. Yes you can. Yeah, I'm doing a sort of L shaped building that I'm doing my backyard, and yeah, I've sort of been a slightly weird I wanted to be curved rather than a nice degree angle.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 10: For what sort of radius can you do with jib?
Speaker 5: I think typically anything less than about a six to seven hundred radius gets really hard to do. Oh okay, but yeah, so you know, don't expect that, let's say you have one hundred and fifty mili radius on a corner, that you'll be able to do that.
Speaker 6: I don't think you will be able to.
Speaker 5: So typically the way that I've done it in the past, and I've actually done a couple of houses that had I did one house it was quite a while ago that had like a center point and then a series of concentric rings from that center point, and then eventually some some wings that were regular you know, ninety degree in straight walls and that sort of thing. So I had a whole series of walls, but that was radius of about anywhere from two and a half to four to six meters, right, So a series of all that's what.
Speaker 10: I'm looking at all, I'll not talk one, okay, all right.
Speaker 5: So typically what I would do is I would get my sheet and I would wet the sheet just with some water on a sponge, so you're not just pouring water on it with a hose and drape it over like a sawhorse or something like that. So you've got a rough idea of what the radius is. You take the sheet, you wet both sides of the sheet, and you just let it settle and start to sag into roughly the radius that you're wanting. And then even while it's a little bit wet, but I tend to let it dry a little bit. Then I'll pick the sheet up once it's got its shape and then fix it to the wall. So a little bit of patience, but yeah, it definitely is doable.
Speaker 10: Definitely is doable.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, right, have a look. Take care.
Speaker 5: I think in the JIB Guide, which is available both as a hard copy if you rang JIB, I'm sure they'd send you one, or certainly it's available online and you can get it as an app on your phone. Might have some detail around that, but yeap curving plaster board in general and jib bored in particular, not too many problems. Nice challenge. Actually, that's how I'd say it. Six twenty nine Here at News Talks B, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Got a couple of decent texts coming in. We'll have a look at those in the moment. We'll take short break, then we'll talk to Chris back in a moment. Your News B taking your calls. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Just bear in mind slightly truncated program in terms of the building. Today we have live commentary of the All Blacks v. France live from Star de France. At that match kicks off at nine o'clocks. We'll hand over to the commentary team from about eight forty five this morning. Rid climb Pass will be joining us earlier.
Speaker 6: I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Interview the apprentice Carpentry Apprentice of the Year straight.
Speaker 6: After eight o'clock.
Speaker 5: We've got an in depth look at some issues around double glazing with Nick Hardy Jones at seven forty five. So that's my way of saying, now is a really good time to call our eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number? Hello, Chris, Yeah, there you go, not too bad.
Speaker 9: I'll just find the whole thing interesting.
Speaker 6: Yes, if.
Speaker 9: The whole happening to pay half thing, I find a bit odd. Basically, what I was thinking was, it's purely hypothetical because I've got a sent between me and an extra labor, so it's not to build me. But what happened is so your next door neighbor, what's the bull of beans? And you disagree that you want defense because you've never had events and the last neighbor that was living there didn't want me either. Do you have any actually, will say? And can you actually if they have the right to build a fence on the borderline, which is measure you independent land.
Speaker 6: Well, no, there's no such.
Speaker 10: Down.
Speaker 5: No, no, because that would be criminal damage. It's a to be fair, it's a very interesting question because I guess I don't know that you would actually have a right to object to a fence right. So the Fencing actors there to provide for some some legislative framework around how to negotiate how a fence. I don't know that it provides for a neighbor who decides they don't want a fence. So I think that under the Fencing Act, you can pretty much demand a contribution from a neighbor for a fence. So if you've decided, hey, look i'm quite happy without one, but the neighbor goes, we've got a dog or we've got small children and we want more privacy, we're going to put one in. Then you can use the Fencing Act to ensure that a neighbor contributes, because ultimately you still get a benefit from it even if you don't want it because you've ended up with a fence.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, but what if it's not a benefit. What if it's blocking your view, or what if it's making it harder to park your car.
Speaker 5: Or if it's things like parking your car. That's more about you've enjoyed the use of somebody else's space and now they're going to insist that you own you use your space.
Speaker 9: Sad, pretty complicated, man. I wouldn't want to be a lawyer for the Fencing Act.
Speaker 5: It's I mean, that's why we had the lawyer on a couple of weeks ago, who was outstanding. Actually he was great and about this, but it looks so I think that if if your neighbor insisted on it, and they use the Fencing Act. I think they would probably most likely be able to get a contribution from you. That's how I see it. Appreciate you call Chris, thank you very much. She just on that someone has text through standard fence. Even a formal definition of that is very open to interpretation and opens up a can of worms peak. Well not really actually, So a standard fence is defined in the Act as one hundred by one hundred posts at around two meters centers three rails, so either three two or four to two rails, and six one twenty five rough sword boards to one point eight meters high right closely abut it. So that's pretty much the definition in the Act for a standard fence. So obviously one person gets the good side of the fence eye the palings, and the other person gets not so good side of the fence, which is the rails. And you can figure that out between you. But that's the definition of a standard fence. It used to be a standard fence used to be until gosh, I think it was some time.
Speaker 6: In the mid eighties.
Speaker 5: Roughly a standard fence was defined as some raratars and three rows of number eight fencing white. That was a standard fence. But nowadays it is the timber, and so that's pretty easy definition of what is a standard fence. A couple of other texts as well that have come in and taking your calls obviously, because the lines are open for you right now. Hey peaked thirty five years ago. I was building homes in New South Wales and they require all wet areas of every house to be flawed with tantalized ply just save any damage due to flooding leaking. In New Zealand, it's costing an enormous amount of insurance money as a result of our continued use of particle board. Y oh, why it's similar to the leaking the house syndrome. We turn a blind eye to this one. Terry, I've got good news for you. I can't recall the last time you could use particle board as a substrate for flooring in a wet area, I think almost exclusively. Now if you do use it, you have to waterproof it or in most cases, particularly in bathrooms, there is no way that you would get compliance to use anything other than treated ply typically in bathrooms. I'm sure there are some group home builders who have worked out another way of getting around it. In general, it's tantalized ply right throughout any wet area and slightly beyond the actual footprint of that space as well. So yeah, if it does leak, at least while in the time that it takes you to identify the leak, you're not getting as much damage to the substrate. If it's analized PLI then if it was the old fashioned particle board. So I think generally we've learned our lesson on that one. Thanks for your text, Terry, Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. One other question that came in AH currently sourcing quotes for a replacement pool decking and boundary fence question what product is best UPBC composite or would for the fence? Would metal panels be less expensive than would Also should I be checking that the builders are registered Master builders? Thanks from joy Um.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: In terms of construction, let's deal with that first. It's possibly, well, it probably isn't restricted building work in the sense that it doesn't necessarily need to be done by a licensed building practitioner. But given that you're doing it around the pool, for example, and your fencing is going to become part of the pool, fencing legislator or has to comply with it. Then ideally you'd be using a License Building Practitioners an LBP. That would be a good idea. And in terms of product and that sort of thing, Look, there's so much choice out there at the moment. In some cases it comes down to personal preference, and it might be that you know timber around a pool, Possibly a composite has some advantages there because it will respond better to getting wet and drying out, you won't have as much movement, etc. In terms of metal panels are probably less expensive than would because you can do components. Also, you can do metal panels with verticals in them typical pool fencing, and that's a lot less work than trying to do pool fencing in timber where you have issues about climbability. So it's a long winded way of saying there's a lot of choices. You just ultimately make up your own mind. Oh eight one hundred and eighty is that number to call if you've got a question. Hopefully I've got an answer. Ross A very good morning to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good morning guys. Look what I did, and I did a renovation in a house about three years ago. I did penalize. Fine, they're obviously made sense. But they're also under the dishwasher. I drilled some holes what well, because there was a basement to just and a ground basement. And if the water ever leaked out of the dishwasher, the little holes are about a quarter a half an inch or three eighths of an inch. Yep, they ever leaked, the water would just.
Speaker 6: Go strain rather than okay, who would just strain away?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go straight through and instead of pulling. Yes, and so they were ratproof. MYCEO, rats or anything couldn't get up right.
Speaker 5: And yeah, look, I do like the practicality of your solution, but I mean you wouldn't find it anywhere in the building code. But I get the practicality of it. If it's going to flood, then at least it's got somewhere to go.
Speaker 3: There was only half a dozen holes. It's all the way around thee of THEA.
Speaker 5: And the space below. Obviously it wasn't habitable space. It was just a basement space. Yeah, it's not like a dripped down onto the head of the person sleeping below. No, no, all right.
Speaker 3: But the other thing is that guy that you mentioned about the driveway and one tenth of the guys if they couldn't, if they couldn't contact them when they sent all the information about proposed contribution for a driveway, and then they sent and they couldn't get any response from him for her or her, and they sent the bill to him in the end and they responded. I mean, that's not very fair. Obviously they were they had their right address and the right communication. So the person decided not to respond in the initial approaches that we budget to the driveway, and then they refused, obviously through writing or correspondence, to refuse it to the account.
Speaker 10: How does that work?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that is the fascinating part of it. And I had the same sentiment as you that obviously at a certain point the person was contactable but decided not to engage in the discussion before the work was done. But then was did engage when suddenly the invoice turns up, right, And I think you got a sense in the online article that I read that you know, the collective, let's say, in the person driving the process just decided, look, we can't keep waiting, let's just get on and get it done. And it was just that simple act of going, we're not going to wait for this last person to respond, let's get it done. And I guess the hope of the expectation was, surely they'll be reasonable and make some contribution, because they've obviously got the benefit of it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: But from a legal point of view, because they didn't get the consent from that person, that person then didn't wasn't held responsible for that portion of the invoice.
Speaker 3: They said the initial correspondence to by registered mail that would have that's indicated they were to received it because.
Speaker 5: But receiving Yeah, but in this instance, receiving some correspondent doesn't necessarily imply that you've accepted the outcome, you know what I mean, So you would have to in this situation. I think the adjudicator was simply looking for, Hey, look everyone's agreed, this person hasn't. Therefore I'm not going to enforce the payment on that person, saying that you would think that people would do the right thing anyway. I found it really fair, you know, because on this show we've talked about it a number of times.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 5: You know, shared driveways are not uncommon, they do require maintenance, and generally you expect that everyone contributes somehow. But in this case they didn't.
Speaker 3: Fascinating, So it brings it brings up the other point, who how do they share out his one tenth of the year. Do they go back to all the other owners that agreed to their one tenth and say, now we've got to divide this by nine as set as gain.
Speaker 5: Well, that would be fascinating, wouldn't it. And yeah, you know it'd be a fairly frosty reception down the driveway.
Speaker 3: If you organize the have to suck it up and say, well, listen, I'm responsible for this.
Speaker 5: I wonder whether that was the case. Actually fascinating. How nice of you to call Ross, You have a great day, all the best. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number, and be good morning to.
Speaker 11: You, good morning, Hell are you very well?
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 11: That's good on the slovety weekend. Now, I think I've signed you up once before regarding my house, so I'll give you another call. Yeah, okay, So we're heaving like kind of issues which we weren't aware of when we first brought the house parts, like if we have the washing machine and the drag going like in winter, and then we have the heater in the hallway going. Sometimes the few not the fuse, but the box will just pop, will just switch off, so part of the house will be in darkness compared to another part. Now what I need to like Now we've we've actually had some are up here to read fix it kind of thing, and they've put a bigger ampen, but apparently it's not working. Now we have been told that we can't caught any more bigger ampen otherwise we would need to rewire the house. Now the question is is it I mean, like because it's going to be rewin or maybe reward. We are now getting power on into the garage which is connected to the house, So would that make things worse? I mean, would we be able to say, play our freezer and there in another fridge in there, or wouldn't it be advised to get that done yet?
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean, look, I'm going to start by saying I'm not a registered electrician and that ultimately you should get advice from a registered electrician on all of these matters. But if, for example, and I have had a similar issue with a property that I know actually not that long ago, where if the dryer and the washing machine were on at the same time, it would trip at the board, right, So had the electrician come through change some of the breakers, but there's only so much do with existing wiring. So if there are too many outlets on a particular circuit and it's older wiring, then yes, from a safety point of view, the board will trip, which is what it should do rather than overheating the circuits and so on. Yeah, So if you were to and obviously if you're going to take power from your manes or from your distribution board and run it out to the garage, you'll need to the electrician will know what type of cable and whether you've got sufficient supply to the house to be able to supply the garret. And then you put some items out there, you will reduce the load inside the house and that might help you as well.
Speaker 6: So you know, theoretically, yeah.
Speaker 11: I know that it does have a circuit board inside the garage, so yeah, it's got its own board. Well it did, yeah, but it was broken.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Well, if.
Speaker 5: It's already got a board in the garret, so sub board. Then as long as the electric is confident that the cable that runs from your house to the board is of sufficient size, then yes, you could upgrade the board there, add some outlets and put some of those appliances out there.
Speaker 11: Oh good. Now, one last thing is is it possible to I mean, because I know rewiring the house is very expensive, or it could be Is it possible to do bits by bit rewiring or does it have to be done in one go? But for the whole house?
Speaker 6: How old is the house?
Speaker 11: It was built in nineteen Oh, my gosh, was it nineteen seventy? Okay, so it's not six it's not really old. No, No, it was built in the seventies.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 5: I wonder whether you'd be well served by getting sort of a second opinion from another electrician or from an electrical engineer, an electrical specter, just around that, because you might find actually that the wires themselves, the actual physical wire is sufficient, but it might be that you've got too many outlets on a particular circuit. So typically when you're wiring a house you limit the number of outlets. Now, over that time, if someone has gone in and went, oh, actually, i'll tell you what, it would be great if I had an other PowerPoint there and another one there, and they've simply looped off the existing one then possibly you'd find so you'd want to have someone come through and do a proper survey and test everything, figure out how many outlets are connected to a particular circuit. That might be part of the issue that the rewiring. The idea of pulling all of those wires out and replacing them, You're right, that's really difficult to do an insisting house because you might end up having to cut holes in the wall and those sorts of things. I would be a little bit surprised if that was actually required. I think it's more likely you might have to run some new circuit, which means putting in an updated board with modern breakers on it, for example, which would also be safer for the property. And in some cases you may not need to replace all of the wires as such. But hey, look, I think getting a second opinion, and certainly maybe getting sort of a professional opinion from an electrical inspector would be money well spent. Good luck on that one. Be take a break, We'll come back and talk to Carl in just a moment. A text with regard to that issue around the driveway and the sharing of costs and so on, suggest you're getting lost in the weeds re the shared ownership of the drive issue, as there would be legal ownership structure for the drive and accordingly an agreement and process for repairs costs. So what you've outlined all sounds like bs with respect. No, so have a look at the article online. That's what I'm reporting on or recounting, is that there may well have been a process, but either way the process wasn't followed, and therefore one of the ten people that has access and shared ownership of the driveway didn't end up needing to contribute to the repair done by one of the other owners with the agreement of the other parties. So at eight balls, I was going to say the word it's not have a look at the article online. I agree there probably is some legal structure, but either way, the process wasn't followed, and the person when in front of the dispute stribunal, the adjudicator said no, I'm not going to enforce an order for you to contribute your one tenth share of the cost of the repairs. So have a look at the article online for your fire off texts. Righty oh, we are back straight after news, sport and weather. Remember we've got the all Blacks at nine o'clock this morning as well, so we'll hand over to the commentary team at around eight forty five back after the break. Welcome back to the program. Pete wolf Camp is my name. This is the resident builder on Sunday, and thanks for joining us. It's a real pleasure. Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call nine two ninety two for the texts, and email is Pete Atnewstalk zb dot co dot nz. So we'll take your calls on to be fair whatever's in front of you with regard to building. So on the program, we've talked about tongue grew flooring, We've talked about curving jimboard, we've talked about fencing, we've talked about wet areas, we've talked a little bit about electrical We're going to have a chat with Carl in just a moment and if you'd like to join us, the number is eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Quick rundown of what we're doing this morning at around seven forty five, we can take a deep dive into some of the kind of practical considerations around retrofit double glazing. So if you've got existing joinery that is single glazed and you want to move to double glazing for a whole bunch of reasons that we already know make a massive difference to the performance of your house. You can do that, but let's have a deep dive into what types of sashes and what the process is. We'll do that with Nikkarti Jones after the news at eight o'clock, we didn't catch up with a young man by the name of Hunter Moon who was awarded the title of Carpentry Apprentice of the Year. Actually when along had to look at the practical test for that and then attended the gala dinner and had to look at what all of the competitors were outstanding. In order to get to the national final, you had to win your re each and or final. And so we're going to have a quick chat with Hunter at a round just after eight o'clock. The root Climb Pass will be joining us earlier so that we still get a good half hour of gardening in because at quarter to nine, at eight forty five, we are going to hand over to the commentary team. The All Blacks are playing France in France in Paris and we will take live commentary from nine o'clock and we'll start that commentary at about quarter to eight, quarter to nine this morning. That's the lineup. Give us a call right now. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number. Hello Carl, thanks for waiting.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you good?
Speaker 12: I don't even if you can't help me. But I bought an old house on a bit of land and gives them about twenty five years ago, and I've subdivised it, built a couple of little houses. But the last three sections there's we've just done a big geotech report and it's contaminated all us. Apparently the guy that owned the place before me to drop pass seal all sorts of bits and pieces and so, accorded to a geotech report. The seven hundred and fifty cubic meters of cheap contaminated material to go to why he from Grisbine. It's about seventy five truckloads at my expense.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 12: I just wondered if I had any sort of come back on councer or anything like that, or yeah, I bought it in good faith obviously.
Speaker 5: Yes, but you didn't buy it from council you would have bought it from a private individual who owned that land. Yeah, and then they've used it sort of well.
Speaker 12: With your works with somebody like that, to be fair.
Speaker 5: You know, was back in the day not terribly uncommon, right, and potentially the person that did the dumping, you know, did so maybe even lawfully in a sense, right, in the sense that there wouldn't have been the same regulations today as there might have been there. So I think, look, your chances of having some sort of successful legal outcome against either a previous owner or about against council or anything like that, you know, slim, right, I mean, look, in the end, get legal advice on it. And that's ultimately where this might go. Certainly, it would be cost prohibitive for you to spend the money you need to spend to remediate the land, so excavating seven hundred and fifty and if that's seven hundred and fifty cubic meters tight, then by the time you excavate, it's going to bulk and double in size. So in fact, your seventy five truckloads is more like one hundred and fifty truckloads trucking those from gisbone to why he to an approved tip site.
Speaker 6: If you said to me, spent quarter.
Speaker 12: Of a million dollars and then you've got to sell it back up again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then you've got to fill it back up again and all the rest of it. To me, it feels like the land is just a bit of a write off, you know. I mean, and look, that's easy for me to say because I don't have my life savings tied up in it, and I'm certainly sympathetic, but I just from a practical point of view, I can't see how the cost to remediate is going to be recouped by the profit from the development, I guess is what you're saying.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I just said, it's just some way around it, was my look.
Speaker 5: I mean, potentially you could talk to some other environmental engineers, but again, you know, the hard thing I think with having discussions with professionals about this issue is that if they give you advice to say this is what's going to work, they end up essentially putting their X on the chopping block, right, They become liable. So if they said to you, oh, well look you could do this, here's a solution for you, and then the solution fails for some reason, they then become liable and that's why typically they are incredibly risk averse, so they're not going to give you anything other than a gold plated solution. Interestingly enough, just quickly, as an a site, I was looking at a building, a large building that was built reasonably near an old landfill.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So again there were issues about contamination in the ground, and there was issues around what happens when we put a great, big concrete slab over the top of what could be methane being released from an old landfill. And so in that instance, what was done was the building was slightly elevated concrete ring foundation with ventilation so that if there was a buildup of methane underneath, it could be vented and you could monitor that for a period of time some years after the building. We're only talking four to five years after the building was built. The monitoring has come to an end because the methane levels have dropped to the point where anything that was in the ground has been exhausted and gone and there's no health issues for anyone. But you know, this is this was a twelve to fifteen million dollar development, you know, and could be managed in that way. That's outside of the scope of what you're doing a.
Speaker 12: Oh for sure, yeah, hell yah, yeah, yeah yeah, Okay.
Speaker 5: Look, get legal advice. Please don't take legal advice from me. But I suspect that you already know that. Perhaps you're just going to say that's going to be a nice piece of green space and that's about it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's what that's what's taken up to be.
Speaker 5: It makes a nice garden. That's probably not when you want to hear. But you could do the right thing and plant some natives and get some wildlife back in the area. Oh nice, they take care by then. Oh, that's not an easy situation to be in.
Speaker 6: That is not easy.
Speaker 5: Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you'd like to talk building, well, I'd love to. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighties the number. I just got to grab this text. This looks fascinating. Is there a time limit for pulling down and putting up a fence? The current fence, It does about one day a week. The fence has been opened for two weeks so far in counting. Look, it depends on who's paying for them, right, So if you're paying for them, I think it's fair to say I'd like you to come and just finish the job.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: If it's something that a neighbor has organized, then you've got to go back to the neighbor to do it. Yeah, one day a week. It's not really progress, is it. They might have a chat to the person. That's the best way. And this was a comment from the last hour, talking about a house that was built in the seventies and me saying it's not that old. Pete, I was born in the seventies. Thank you for saying that house wasn't that old from us? Fair enough, mate, I was born in the sixties. So much, And how I feel. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call and Helga, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 13: Oh hi, I've just bought a brand new town house in Avondale. And there's one problem. I've built cupboards which are really up high and I'm five foot one right, and there's no food pantry cupboard.
Speaker 14: Mm hmm.
Speaker 13: I was wondering is it good like micause? Some probably could make it, EASi toilely could make Is it good to make it in plywood?
Speaker 5: Certainly you can make cupboards out of Plywood, I would cover it. So I think that you know, if you did in Plywood and it's going to be in an area essentially, which is a food preparation area, you'd want to give it a really good coat of polyurethane as well, just to seal the plywood.
Speaker 13: Yep, okay, but it's good because of the lighter. He'll properly build it out of the house and then bring it.
Speaker 15: Inside and bring it in.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, an extra cabinet or something like that. What's great for that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, because I've got my food or in the china cabin Oh crazy. I can only pop the way the built the place the kitchen as the pops go down the barn, and I could never reach up the top to pop the food. And it's all too high. And even my neighbors that every place, forty six of them, little saying.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm curious. Now, did you buy off the plans or did you go to an open home have a look around.
Speaker 13: I had to go and buy an open home, right, I just sold the house and Walkers, yes, and my land agents found that I came in that January and we found that in August.
Speaker 5: I suppose what I'm curious about is is was it something that you overlooked Let's say when you had a look at you know, you walk through the house and you go, okay, how am I going to live in the house. I'll put my couch over there, the TV goes over there, here's my kitchen, And did you think about food storage and that sort of thing?
Speaker 6: Or is it that I.
Speaker 13: Said that to my son? Yeah, but it's so hard. I wanted to brand you. I've looked at so many old places.
Speaker 16: Yes, much.
Speaker 13: So. Yeah, good price loose from a seven hundred thousand to six seven five.
Speaker 5: There's an upside to a downside. And the downside for the industry is that, you know, there's more sellers than there are buyers, which means that the price drop. So now is a great time to be buying in certain Yeah, good on you, Good on you.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 5: All the very best you, Helga, and all the best for the new house as well.
Speaker 6: Radio.
Speaker 5: It is seventeen minutes after seven. We'll be back after the break right now. You can save sixteen percent when you buy a gold plus solar bundle from Light four Solar. That's a saving four and a half grand. With the sofa. You get a package that's enough to fully power a mid sized home. You get premium sixteen panel system and a complete set of Synergy products including a powerful eight kilowatt hour battery, an inverter, energy gateway and power sensor with full installation included. Plus earn two times airport airpoints dollars the price just twenty three four nine nine. Lightforce Solars expert installation team and high quality products will make sure that you're up with every step of the way so you can get on with slashing your electricity bills from day one. Light Force Solar, proudly New Zealand owned and operated, has you covered for a ten year workmanship warranty, twenty five year panel warranty and a ten year battery warranty. Head to Lightforcesolar dot co dot Nz to find out more t's and c's apply zeb your new sok ZB. Remember at around seven forty five take sort of a deep dive into some of the technical aspects, let's say of retrofitting double glazing, so swapping from your existing joinery from single to double glaze at timber sashes, aluminium sashes, that sort of thing. We'll have a deep dive into that with Nick Hardy Jones. After eight o'clock we'll be talking to the Apprentice of the Year carpetry Apprentice of the Year, young man by the name of Hunter Moon. We're going to start a bit earlier because we've got the All Black kickoff at All Blacks v. France at nine o'clock this morning, so we'll hand over the commentary team at around eight forty five. Michelle, A very good morning.
Speaker 14: A h good morning. I have question about your house and the workmans sheep repair into maintenance issues.
Speaker 16: Yes, I've brought.
Speaker 14: You you have just a sayholder about just about a four weeks and there's some problems like pumped nails and the painting is shules and door issues in them, but lots of other issues. This is bring you them a house, you know. I contact them in the developer and the project manager and it came to fix it the couple of times. But now they stopped fixing it and they force something to the lawyer and pass the information to my purchase lawyer. So I understand that the purchase is finished.
Speaker 2: Lawyer.
Speaker 14: If I talk, if I use the lawyer, I will pay extra cost. My question is I need your help to give me some directions to how I can come back the developer or the builders to come back to fix it, because now they are refused to talk to me, to talk of the sailing agent. When I purchase data, there there is the leasing agent and buy agent. So I start off in the mean of nowhere in the middle.
Speaker 5: Help sure there are rights and responsibilities, right, so the builder who might be the developer, still has responsibility for the quality of the work and defects for a period of time, So typically for one year after you take in. Then you know, reasonable defects need to be fixed by the developer and they can't really opt out of that. So things like you know, fixings popping in the plaster board, those sorts of things reasonably should be fixed. If for example, a door is sticking or the handle falls off, those sorts of things, they have to respond to that for at least the first year. Beyond there sometimes you know, those things can be seen as wear and tear, but certainly for the first year. My understanding is that they do need to keep coming back and fix it. Now, if they have done a not great job and they've got lots of things to fix, that's their problem, not yours, right, so I can see what's going to happen. They've come back, they've made an effort to fix some things, and then they'll say, look, we're not interested in doing anymore. Well, it doesn't matter that they're not interested. They still have a legal responsibility. I do wonder, Michelle, whether you are going to have to pay for your lawyer to remind them of those legal responsibilities. So you know, there's two options. One is that you try and do some research or get some advice from someone who's familiar with this. Might be a real estate agent, might be a friend, might be another builder that you know, and go through find out, have a look through your contract, see what's included in the contract. Then also have a look at the legislation around building defects and send them a letter saying, hey, look, can I remind you these things are written in law? Or you'll get your lawyer to do exactly that. But you're right, if you get your lawyer to do it, it is going to cost you.
Speaker 14: Okay, okay, how often do you think you that should be or how early it should be done? Because I heard something, it's after stay told it should be something. Need to be effected within three months.
Speaker 5: Again, I'd have to check the legislation. My understanding was that it's.
Speaker 6: Like there is a.
Speaker 5: Requirement to remediate, right, So if there's a fault with the building, and it's definitely the builder's fault, they have a requirement to fix that. But typically they have up to a year to respond.
Speaker 4: Year.
Speaker 14: One year, yeah, I understand, there's one years. We're seen one years.
Speaker 5: No, this is this is slightly different. This is because remember you know, as as builders, we're responsible for our work for up to ten years, right, so things things like you know, if if the deck starts to sag, or the floor SAgs, or there's excessive cracking in the walls, those sorts of things we're responsible for up to ten years. Now, if you had a big issue in five years time, seemingly a prompt response from the builder is actually to do it within one year. That's what's in the law at the moment.
Speaker 6: I do wonder.
Speaker 5: Whether you the quickest way to get them back is probably to go to your lawyer, get them to draft a letter reminding them of their responsibilities and and see if that works.
Speaker 16: Yeah, okay, okay, it's I know it would be nice if you could simply, you know, send an email saying, hey, look, by the way, here's some photographs of some things that are not right with the house.
Speaker 5: Could you send someone over to fix it. But developers don't typically have a great reputation around these sorts of things, depending on whether you've you've used a company that's well known or a company that perhaps got established last year and will probably be gone next year. You know, this is the problem we have with the industry.
Speaker 14: Right you know, tool they build, how did they build a one property set up in your register with the one one your company and were startled at this class company? What I mean, because there's a lot of issus and problems on the wall, and it's really effect to my everyday's life because when they come to paint the war in a scratchy and plastic and stand it in the paint, there's a lot of fast and I so my furnitures I cannot close to the war, but I have to prepare for them to come back to fix it. You know, also from the experience, the last couple of times become we donut know this so because other houses not so it though, so they come and see, oh if i'm home, they come to fix it. They don't make appointment, so.
Speaker 5: It doesn't give me come to It's not terribly professional, I guess. I guess the other approach might be, if you think that there's a general issue with the quality of the building, is you could get someone like a registered building surveyor to come and do a report and then hand that report back to the developer and they might be able to give you some guidance. But that's also going to cost you, which is fair enough. Yeah, So look, I think in the first instance, Michelle, I would probably suggest that you're going to have to talk to your lawyer about understanding exactly what your rights are and then enforcing on them the responsibility that they have as the builder or the developer and go from there. So, yes, you're probably going to end up spending some money unfortunately to do that.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much for your call. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: You talk said b if you've got a building question, well I'll have a read hot crack at giving you a decent answer on it.
Speaker 6: Very good morning to you.
Speaker 16: Richard.
Speaker 7: Hey you going, Peter, good Thank you. So I'm a painter slash handy man, and I bought a rental property in twenty seventeen, I think, and I didn't get a builder's report because this property was really in real bad condition, and I've spent the last however long since twenty seventeen fixing it. It's a really nice property. It's solid, it's well painted. Now we just put it in the kitchen and polished the floors and so we just finished. The last bit of renovation was to put a new roof on. And so the roof, I don't know how old it was, thirty five maybe forty years. It was a split split carrigate line and the roofer pulled the roof off and he's found that there's been a fire in the roof which has affected possibly thirty percent of the roof, and a lot of the trusses are scorched, but they're solid. He jumped up and down on them. Whoever, whoever's remediated it did a decent job. And then they put a new roof on. It used to be a concrete tile roof because it had all the bracing to hold the tile. So we're thinking me and the roof a sort of had a chat. We're thinking it's possibly thirty five years ago all.
Speaker 17: More that this roof had the fire right.
Speaker 7: So it's all solid. But I mean there's there's a good deal of trusses that would possibly need to be replaced.
Speaker 5: When you say it's been remediated, what have they done for the remediation if they fixed new timber to the old existing timber.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, so they obviously removed all the concrete tiles. They left all the bracing for the concrete tiles there, and they just put iron down on it. But they just made sure everything was solid, so there's no there's no worry about you know, the roof is going to cave in or anything, and it's nowt It's now got a new roof of new perlins all the way around, so it's solid. But I mean, do we leave them there? Do we replace them? Does it need to be engineered trusses? Does it need to have a consent? I'm not sure how to go about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess at the time, ideally the person would have got some advice about the remediation, right, so you know, timber can take a certain amount of charring and still remain still retain its structural integrity. Other pieces of timber, or possibly the fixings have deteriorated, and so the structure of the roof is then unsound. If someone has done a fairly methodical repair to it, fixing new timbers to the side of the old ones and ensuring that all of the fixings are correct and that you know, connections between you know where the rafters meet at the ridge, if they've got the right type of connectors, that they're fastened down to the top plate, that the bottom cord is well connected, that any cross braces are suitably connected, and so on. You know, again it's now a lightweight roof. If you look at how people built roofs up until we all kind of moved to trusses, roofs were often what we call throwing right, so you'd put your top plate up, or you'd stand all your frames and then you'd figure out where your ridge line's going, you'd cut some rafters and nail the whole thing together. And they've lasted for like my place, over one hundred years, right. So I'm not suggesting that they would perform as well under enormous stress as a modern day trust. Probably wouldn't, But if what they've done is reasonable and looks professional, then probably it's going to be okay. I mean ultimately, what do you think is the issue? Do you think the issue is that it hasn't been done well and it might collapse, or it has been done well, but people because it's got no documentation, people will be cautious about it. Or are you thinking when I go to sell the properties, someone else is going to see the fire damage and it's going to be an issue when it comes to resale.
Speaker 7: Well, it's basically the last one. When I sell it, it's going to be an issue for resale. But also in terms of how the work's been done. It's been done by by the owner.
Speaker 10: By the look of.
Speaker 7: It, it is sound. It is, it is, it's not going to fall down, but it hasn't been done by a builder.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 7: And so the roof is scraped into some of the chowering and he said the charring's only five millions. And so these are the old removed rafters, yes, and so they're sick. They're thicker than a four two. I haven't actually measured them, but they're probably well.
Speaker 5: They are genuine four B two, so they would have you know, four to two basically as one hundred by fifty, whereas modern framing is ninety by forty five.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so now so yeah, so now they're probably ninety by forty yeah, and so it's not it's not all of it. They've cut a lot of the burnt out and joined it with new timbers.
Speaker 5: So yes, a lot of that from a structural point of view, A lot of that will be around the quality and the detailing of the connections.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So I wonder whether the pathway forward would be to have probably an engineer come and do an on site assessment and give you a statement to say it sound right, and that way it gives you some proof. Again, in a situation where I've had where I'm acting for a client who's had some work done that council were a bit unsure about. It involved a mezzanine storage area, and the council went, we don't think that's okay. Now I went to an engineer who came, looked at it, did some details, some calculations, and said, in my opinion it's sound. Now I can offer that back to counsel and go I've had an independent assessment from a qualified engineer to say there's no issue with this structure. Therefore, you know, unless you want to prove that the engineer's wrong, you're going to have to.
Speaker 6: Accept the structure.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 5: So you could take a similar approach and go I've had a registered engineer determine it. They might then say, actually most of it's okay, but you need to do X, Y and Z. Some brackets here, some fasteners there, some additional bolts, etc. Go ahead and do that, have them effectively sign it off, and then keep that on the record so that when you do go to sell it, someone pops their head up there and goes, gee, there was a fire, you can go, yes, there is, and it has been remediated, and here's a statement from the engineer to say that it is sound.
Speaker 7: That's exactly their advice I needed, I think because I was looking at pulling that corner of the roof off and getting new trusts made no no.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 5: You know again, typically these things, you know, you've got to think about how they were built in the first place, right, And it wasn't a truss, and it's been up there for fifty odd years, And if the repair is sound, then why would you go to all of that extent? Can I just be bit cheeky and go. Are you a little bit peeves that you didn't spot it when you bought the house?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I mean so I checked out the whole house and I worked out it with solid has come off the foundations in one small corner, which I'm going to get fixed because the foundations are about fifty mil above the driveway and the wall fell off the foundation and dropped fifty mils, so it does have problems. I did put my head in the ceiling hatch to check the insulation and just have a quick look up there and above the hatch there's no fire.
Speaker 5: Ah yeah, okay, yep, yeah, understandable. Yeah. I think that's your way forward, and maybe talk to Cause again. You know, it would be good to get a practical sort of engineer to come, so probably someone with a few gray hairs and long in the tooth, and maybe talk to a couple of chippies that you know, they'll all know someone who's got a really practical approach to these things, and that's the sort of person that you're looking for. Awesome, awesome, lovely talking with you all the best.
Speaker 6: Take care, Sir Richard.
Speaker 5: Back after the break you and new talk s Hered b. Nikadi Jones is standing by. We're going to take a look at retrofitting double glazing into your existing sashes, so we'll have an in depth look at the whole what types of sashes and what needs to happen. But first up, David, good morning to you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, hi Peter.
Speaker 15: Hey, I built a sheher that quite alied shed some time ago and on the side of it has an awning. The awning area is sort of around. The area is about sixteen meters long four point seven meters wide. I'd like to clear that in do I need to do another permit declared.
Speaker 5: That I suspect, So what's the purpose? What are you going to use that space for workshop?
Speaker 15: For shed? Workshop area? And I'd like to have a bit more secure. So yeah, sure they're sitting under there and then locked up.
Speaker 5: Is this sen a rural? I mean sixteen meters long, it's not the sort of thing, okay, And you needed a consent for the shed in the first place.
Speaker 15: Yes, it's all permitive and done properly. Yes, it's quite a lot of shed sixteen meters by about twelve and a half the shed section.
Speaker 5: Itself, right, So typically I know rural sheds up to almost one hundred square meters can be built without necessarily requiring a consent. Yours is larger than that, hence the consent. I think my approach would probably be is to dig out the original consent documents and especially the consent number. Go to your local authority, the people that issued the building consent, and you know, maybe go in and sit. They often have a help desk, sit with one of the building inspectors, and go, look, my intention is to close this in. I'm not increasing the footprint. It's not going to impact on neighbors. I'm going to do it in the same way that the building is done. Do I need a consent for that? Or can I get a dispensation from a building consent given that you're not transferring the use. So if you said to me, I want to make it habitable, that would be an issue those sorts of things. So I think the best approach take the consent, go to council, talk to them and ask for a dispensation from a building consent. But get that in writing.
Speaker 15: Great stuff, all right, sounds good.
Speaker 6: The very best to you. Take care.
Speaker 5: Nick Hardy Jones from Metro Performance Glass. After the news, We're going to talk about retrofitting double glazing. If you've got a specific question, we'll not be able to fit that into the conversation as well. So text through nine to nine two. If you've got a specific question around retrofitting double glazing, back in the moment your newk'd be and joining me this morning. A regular contributed to the show, Nick Hardy Jones from Metro Performance Glass.
Speaker 6: Very good morning, Nick, Good morning Peter.
Speaker 5: Hey, Now I think that you know the discussion around is double glazing effective, it's pretty much put to bed right. We all know that it's way more effective at either keeping heat in or keeping heat out and helping with acoustics, so you know, and there's lots and lots of data and even that INMBI report recently, fifty two percent of heat loss can be through the single glazing. So putting double glazing is going to address that. Then we get into the thorny issue of if we're going to put it into existing frames, what's the process. So can we just start with timber first because a lot of our houses have timber. There's some real advantages to timber. It's thermally very efficient. But you know, typically if i've got let's say a nineteen sixties house with timber joinery. What's the process to retrofit double glazing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right, so you're right there. Still they saw estimate there's nearly a million homes that have got timber joinery in them across New Zealand. So there's still a big portion of our stock, and a big chunk of that is still single glazed, which is really inefficient. Family. So the process to replace those is, first of all, we come along, meet with the homeowner and make an assessment of the state of the joinery. Timber can suffer from quite a bit of rot, but there's ways of managing that which is actually quite simple. So we look at the timber sashes firstly. The timber sash is the is the piece of timber that actually encapsulates the glass. It's within the main window frame. Often that's where there's a lot of damage or rot within the building. So we take a look at those. If those are in sound condition, you know, they've been well maintained and kept painted and all those good things, then we can simply come along and we can remove the sash lay it down. We actually cut into the sash around where the glass sits to make that rebated deeper. We pop the old glass out. We're a site call all of that glass, and then we make in a factory a brand new double glazed and sealed unit. We come to site, we glaze that into the existing sash. We put drainage into all of the sashes. Drainage is absolutely critical within windows systems to provide the longevity to the double glazed unit. To ensure there's drainage in the bottom of these timber sashes, and then we put a bead on over top to encapsulate the glass in place. And then we can work in with you to replace things like hinges, stays and handles to make sure they're all working well and to really ensure that the sash is actually ceiling really well into the frame, so that once you've done all the good work of putting a high performing double glaze unit into your home, you're not just then going to create a lot of So I have a lot of air leaks around where that sash meets the frame. So we can get a number of tricks of the trade about how we deal with those issues as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because like you say, if you've put the investment into the double glazing and then you've got extensive gaps around it in the ears. Just flowing through there kind of defeats the purpose. So you can you know it's a total system that you're looking at, or you can deal with all of those issues absolutely. Aluminium jowinery is pretty common, right, and certainly most new houses probably have aluminium jewinery. Up to quite recently it was more common to have single glazing than double glazing and that. So let's say you've got a nineteen eighties house and it's got aluminium jewnery. What's stepped me through the process for swapping your single glazing for double glazing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so aluminium is even simpler than even with timber, so a lot lower labor content and doing an aluminium protein. So again what we do is we come along, were removed that aluminium bad that holds the glass into that frame, yes, and we create an install a new bead which is much thicker, it gives much more pocket depth so that it can handle a double glazed unit. So typically, if you're looking at a sash that's aluminium, you can see it's got a big angled profile where it cuts back into the glass. We remove that and go with a much more square face, remove the pane of glass, put in a double glazed unit and put a new bead on and that bead is color matched to the existing aluminium on your home. So no painting, no modification required. It's a finished product once it's glazed.
Speaker 5: And I know in some instances perhaps the sash won't accommodate a double glaze unit, but you have the option of making a new sash and fitting it into an existing frame.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and in fact that's the most sort of the common method of doing that, where you get end up with a brand new sash, brand new handles, and brand new stays within your existing aluminium. We do things for sliding doors as well, so you've got big sliding doors, you can absolutely double glaze those as well. And we've got these adaptive frames that sit within your existing and can take a double glaze unit in there as well, because.
Speaker 5: I guess with a double with a sliding door, there's an issue around Wait, the DG unit is going to be considerably heavier than the existing one, so it puts an impact on the rollers and things like that. But again there's a process for that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it absolutely is. You can make an assessment of the door to ensure that it can handle that weight. And there are things you can do to upgrade wheels and things and slide of doors to ensure that they can handle that extra weight.
Speaker 5: Now, typically, I mean the vast majority in New Zealand houses timber aluminium, but there are also some houses that might have old fashioned steel joinery, like really old crittle joinery. Possible, Yes it is.
Speaker 8: Yes, you can still retrofit steel. Still, Again, you have to be very careful of how you manage removal of steel windows. Asbestos was commonly used in old glazing putties right back through the sixties and seventies particularly, But yes, we have methods to ensure that you can remove that safely. We test it to ensure that we know whether it has asbestos not remove it safely, and then and then go with a similar profile of putting a new steel beat in place to double glaze the windows.
Speaker 6: Yeah, brilliant.
Speaker 5: Look, I really appreciate the insights I think, you know, for people listening to a thing, Oh, you know, maybe it's time to do the double glazing thing. What's the process?
Speaker 8: You know? The best way to proceed is to jump onto the website Retro DG. Take a look there on the Metro Glass website. Contact a team on OH one hundred and six five eight six five eight and talk to your local. They'll come to your home, do an assessment and give you an understanding and what the process is, what your options are, and will give you an idea of what all the costs would be associated as well.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm going to keep you for thirty seconds if you can answer this question from a caller. An older nineteen eighties wooden front door with a large glass in certain windows either side into timber framing. Can that be double glazed?
Speaker 8: Yes it can. Yes, you can still as long as it's got a bead on it, this is able.
Speaker 11: To be.
Speaker 8: Routed out and have a new double glades installed unit installed in there. We would certainly do an assessment of hinges to make sure they can handle the ways of that, but yes you can double glade at that door.
Speaker 6: Excellent.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for your time and your expertise. Really appreciate it. Nick, You have a great day. Take care, Bob. That's Nick from Metro Performance Glass. Find out more have a look online retrodg dot co dot nz. After the break Hunter Moon, who is the Carpentry Apprentice of the Year. We're going to have a quick call in a chat with him. Also, we're going to start early because we've got the rugby at nine o'clock All Blacks v.
Speaker 6: France.
Speaker 5: Well right, oh slight change of plan this morning on the show. We are going to jump into the garden a bit earlier because we're out of here a little bit earlier. We'll hand over to our commentary team ahead of the All Blacks v. France match that kicks off at nine o'clock. So Rudd will join us in about ten to fifteen minutes and like I say, we'll hand over the commentary team at about quarter to nine ahead of live commentary at nine o'clock here at Newstalk se B now. Last week week before I popped along to Construct and also that was the venue for the practical examination for the Apprentice of the Year. So this is sponsored by Carters and Master Builders. Apprentices from right around the country are carpentry apprentices are invited to compete in regional finals. The nine outstanding candidates then are invited to Auckland for the national finals. They spent Thursday, I think at about six hours or so making what was quite an elaborate little structure that was part planter box, part shelter. So they had to cut rafters, fixed cladding, build planter boxes, do like a detailed barge board on these little structures. Then the following day they had to sit down and do interviews and talk about their building knowledge before one of them was appointed or anointed as the Carpentry Apprentice of the Year. And it's my great pleasure to welcome to the program Hunter Moon, who is the twenty twenty four Carpentry Apprentice of the Year. Congratulations Hunter, how are you?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Good?
Speaker 17: Thanks about yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah, not too bad.
Speaker 5: So I had a look at what you guys had to build, you know, with a time constraint, which always adds a bit of pressure and tension, and part of me was thinking, I wonder how I'd go, and I to be fair, it was pretty challenging. So just walk me through it. You do the building on the Thursday, and then what's the interviews that you had to go through on the on the Friday.
Speaker 17: Yeah, so we all had to sit through an individual interview between sort of forty minutes to an hour throughout the day. We had our own individual time slots, and I gave you, Judge a bit of time to deliberate at the end of the day before we headed straight into the awards at the end of that Friday.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So for you, first up, what drew you into carpentry? You know, as a young person, you've got all sorts of options. Why choose carpentry apprenticeship?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 17: I mean I didn't know what I wanted to do in my last year of school. I had plenty of options. I'd actually halfway through the year enrolled and been accepted into a law program at two different universities in New Zealand. But I wasn't one hundred percent convinced that that was what I wanted to do. I think I had a little bit of doubt in my mind, and I'd always had an interest in building stuff. I've always been making things at home. Sure, and Dad came home one day actually and said, Hey, there's a guy that I know that a country ever wants to go building. Give me a call and we'll get them into an apprenticeship. And I actually thought, damn it, that's what I want to do. Awesome, Yeah, I went, I went headfirst into that, and yeah, there I am.
Speaker 5: And so you're working with Foster Construction and Hamilton and the White cut it. I know they've got some decent sized projects on if you've been through the main street of Hamilton, they've got the restoration or rebuild of the theater. There is it residential that you enjoy? Do you enjoy the commercial?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: How far along your apprenticeship are you?
Speaker 17: I'm coming to the close of my apprenticeship, so hopefully I'll head into the new years as a recently qualified builder.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 17: Yeah, So Foster's specializes in commercial industrial construction, so we also do have a high density residential that's just started. But yeah, I've worked for the last but the years we've been focused on commercial construction. Yeah, and that's that's what my passion has evolved into as well. So we do anything from medical centers and hospitals to our schools to churches. I've worked at the Hampton Downs Race Course right, and of course our flagship project at the moment as the Wyclo Regional Theater.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which looks amazing and I you know, pretty challenging projects. So is that what you're working on.
Speaker 17: I'm not actually no, but a significant portion of our staff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean looking ten years ahead kind of what do you see for yourself in terms of working in carpentry.
Speaker 17: So I've always seen carpentry or construction as a ship, a vehicle, if you will, for me to push my career forward and take on as much as I can. So the first step for me and that is gaining mystification in carpentry, and then hopefully I'll be able to move forward into site management, project management and yes, work my way out to chain get the best cut that I can on these projects.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, look, I wish you all the very best. I thought, you know, from what I could see at the practical challenge and then from you know, feedback that I've had from other people that have interviewed you, You've got an outstanding career ahead of you. And I thought, look, all of the candidates were great, and I thought one of the really nice things for the gala night was having people who had either been regional finalists or finalists from previous years come and talk about where they had got to. So, you know, two years, five years on and all of them and I'm sure you would have had the same you know, I looked at all of those people up there, mixture of male and female, well what they had done in their careers and the opportunities that construction had presented to them. And I thought that was a really good touch. And I can imagine you in a couple of years time sitting there at the I don't know, Apprentice of the Year twenty twenty eight, going well, look this is where I'm at now.
Speaker 6: So good on you.
Speaker 5: Congratulations. I'm sure you've got a bit of stick for it on Monday when you got back to the site. Builders tend to be pretty good at leveling everybody out, but no one's going to take that away from you. So Apprentice of the Year Hunter Moon, congratulations.
Speaker 17: Many speak, thank you, And just while I'm on their, shout out all those other all those other national finalance. Yeah, well, like you say, they are top notch candidates and everybody was just an outstanding person and get to know and an outstanding competitor as well, So big shout out to the master Builders and putting on such a workd event for us as well.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 5: It was, it was a great event and I was delighted to be able to come along to the gala. So good meeting you and all of very Beast Hunter take care boy z be He's just actually all of the candidates. So there's nine regional finalists competed at the final and they were all outstanding, just fantastic young people. It was a great thing to be part of. So if you've got a young person who's involved in carpentry, maybe doing an apprenticeship, have a look at that Apprentice of the Year for next year. It's a great challenge for them and that's something to hang.
Speaker 6: On to for a long time.
Speaker 5: Just before we jump into the garden, a quick shout out to someone who helped me out just recently as well. It was one of those classic project comes up at the last minute. It was a changeover for a rental property. I went in, had a look at a few jobs that I needed to get done, looked at the blinds and went, oh shivers, I really need to get those sorted out as well, just a regular maintenance sort of thing. So, as it turned out, a guy that I worked with many many years ago we were chippying together, Steve runs blink and clean blinds in Auckland, Northland South Auckland as well, and I rang him and as it happened. It was just one of those fortuitous days. Hey, look we've had a cancelation. I can get a crew there. This afternoon. They rocked up, took all the blinds down. They got mobile so their vans are kitted out for all of this. Cleaned all the blinds, dried them all, steam cleaned them, put them all back up, made sure that they all worked. Everything looked fresh and clean. So if you need blind cleaning, I can certainly recommend Blink and Clean so Blinkinclean dot co dot NZ or eight hundred two five four six five six. Took to Steve and the crew and they'll, well hope they'll sort you out as well as they sorted me out. So they were outstanding. So Blink and Clean Blinds. Great guys, righty oh and also just a heads up, I did the I was part of the team helping out at the Saint Leo's Fair. Hi Paul helped us out resource recovery Devenport. They were fantastic and my mates at Greenrilla as well for looking after the food scrap. So thank you to those people that helped me out at that fair. Radio. Let's jump into the garden. We'll take a short break, rid Climb passed on the move, but we've tracked them down to Tolonga to the Bay of Plenty and we will be talking with Rudd straight after the break.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to News Talks' b on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.