Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up podcast with Peter wolf Camp from news Talks at Bay.
Speaker 2: The house is a hole even when it's.
Speaker 3: Darns, even when the grass is overgrown in.
Speaker 2: The yard, and even when.
Speaker 3: The dog is too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to start scissor home, even when weave a band gone, even when you're there alone.
Speaker 2: A house is a hole, even when those goes, Even when you got around from the world you love your most.
Speaker 4: Streamed pans be an inunder.
Speaker 3: Locals when these even when wilbra ben, even when you're very lone.
Speaker 5: Well, a very good morning, and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. You're with me picked off Camp on this the first day of daylight saving. So yes, the clocks did go forward. Sorry, I'm laughing, because we do have in the studio, for all of the wonderful technology, a good old fashioned analog clock that hangs on the wall. And I guess for the last ten years or so, since I've been coming in here early on a Sunday morning, it seems to have become my job to stand on a chair which is an office chair, in which case it rotates right. And if you've ever watched YouTube videos of people doing silly things, it's generally involves them standing on an office chair, reaching up, getting something down, in this case of clock, changing the setting, and then putting it back up again. Thus far, touchwood, I've never come to a sticky end doing that decidedly unsavory little task on a swivel chair. So I'll do that during the break. If i'm not back after the break, you'll know what's happened. Radio. Good morning, Welcome along to the show. I trust you've had a good week. And if there's a project that you need some help with, if there's a project that you're thinking about doing a bit of planning, you know daylight saving typically. We've had officially the first day of spring in the first twenty second of September. There equinoxes behind us. School holidays are here. The end of the year is looming. We got our son's end of year report the other day, emailed to us on Friday, and I'm like, hang on, now, he's going back to school next term. It's not over yet, but it is. The year is rushing to its climax at the end of the year. So if you've got a project that you're thinking about in maybe December January taking some leave, and you want to talk about that, you want to start doing a bit of planning, then we can discuss that. If you've had a couple of issues, let's say with product or with suppliers or with contractors, we can talk about that. I do want to do a little bit later on one of my terribly unreliable, completely unscientific polls, and it's around finding a trades person. We'll do that about six point thirty this morning through to maybe sort eight o'clock. At around seven thirty this morning, we've got Bryce mcdermmott, our painting expert from the good people at Razine, so from the Razine Color stores. Bryce is available, will take your text questions on any painting questions that you might have. And after the eight o'clock news, just briefly, we'll have a bit of a catch up with Hamish Firth. Hamish is a planner and he describes himself as just a good old fashioned planner and he's got a couple of things, some insights into proposed changes to the ROMA, the Resource Management Act. Certainly it was under review with the previous government with the Labor administration, Chris Bishop has really taken it on board, I think, and done quite a lot of work. So what's coming up? What might change when it comes to the Resource Management Act, particularly as it relates to construction right and you know, most building projects that I would have been a part of in the last ten years or so typically end up with a resource consent attached to the building consent, or in fact you need to get the resource consent before you can get the building consent. Is that going to change anyway? Hamish is an expert on this from the Mount Hobson Group and we'll be chatting with him after eight o'clock. Then, of course, as always, we'll jump into the garden with red claim passed. From around eight point thirty this morning. Oh eight one hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Texts are more than welcome nine to nine two or z BZB from your mobile phone. I've logged into my email because I remember my past word, so you can email me as well. A we apology on my part after we seem to have talked a lot about our boxes. If you're not into OL boxes, my apologies, but it seems like a large number of you are, and I've had a number of emails requesting the plans. I didn't get a chance to do that this week. I promise you this week to anyone that emailed me requesting plans, so effectively, I'm just taking the plans that I got from rud and forwarding them on to you. I promise, I promise I will do that this week. I'm not going to go ahead and promise that I'm going to make the barn Ol box. That might be a project for the following week. Anyway, that's my homework. I'm sordid, right, I know what I have to do. And again, if I sound a little bit croaky, it is because I am a little bit croaky. I've been on the road quite a bit over the last three weeks. In fact, I've had pretty much a trip every single weekend for the last three weeks. Came back from christ Chitch, Yes, had a fabulous time there. Went to Timaru for the first home and Garden show there since about twenty eighteen. My mates that run Jade Promotions re established the home and garden show. Well received. People really enjoyed getting out and looking at stuff. I went down to do a bit of a presentation, which is what I do, and I catch up with the exhibitors. So flew to christ Church on Friday morning. I don't know why I booked a six o'clock flight, but anyway, got to christ Church, shot out to the FOREMANTHS SIPs panel factory so Foemanths is a structurally insulated panel manufacturer and I've seen houses being built in SIPs panels by from pormants over the years, but I've never actually been to the factory. So I took the opportunity to shoot out there see Nick who runs the place, and have a wand around the factory just to see how SIPs panels are actually made, which was quite interesting. And then shot out via Methyn Geraldine. Fantastic little military museum in Geraldine, just on the main street and most of it's running right so it wasn't running at the time, but there's tanks and half tracks and scorpions and tractor units and jeeps and all sorts in there. It's a fabulous little museum. And Geraldine had a fantastic can I just say this had a fantastic PASTRAMI toasted sandwich and Methvin as well, a little cafe next to the gym Garatge. There you go, right in the middle of Methvin. Their beautiful coffee, beautiful toasted sandwich, snow in the hills in the background. What a gorgeous place. And then Timuru, which I really like. And then back via actually back via a beautiful garden. But I'll talk about that with Rud when he joins us. At eight thirty rdio, I know it's daylight saving. I know that most of you are probably still tucked up in bed because my clock tells me that it is sixteen minutes after five, which is what your body's probably telling you as well. But in fact it is actually fourteen sorry, fourteen minutes. See, even the clock is wrong, not just for the hour but for the minutes. It is the most unreliable clock in the world. Yet it hangs in the studio. Anyway, I'll get it sorted.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: Lines are open. Number to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty All things building, construction projects, dilemmas, delights and dilemmas. We can talk all things building in construction. Call us right now, eight hundred eighty ten eighty right, Oh, good morning, welcome back to the program. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. It's always going to be a bit slow on AH on a on a daylight saving morning, so the clocks have gone forward, and obviously people are sleeping in, which is fine. But if you're up in about, we're going to get busy later on the show. So now's a fantastic time to call. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Apparently my adjusting of the clock was alerted overnight morning, Pete says the Texa. They said on the overnight talk it'd be Jim that you would be changing the clock, which is true. And I have done that, standing on the little swively chair, balanced like a Russian acrobat to be fair nimble on my feet. I am, and down came the clock just at the time, perfect right. Everything is in synchronicity.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, though, is that number to call? I wonder if I should tell my story now, I tell you what the survey that i'd like to do. And we've done a couple of these recently and they've been quite illuminating for me. And they are simple yes, no, right. So the moot that I want to put think back to your debating days at high school or at university. The moot that I want to put is, if you needed to find what I'm calling with respect your top three trades, right, the trades that you are most likely to need, a carpenter, an electrician, or a plumber. Would you have a carpenter, builder, electrician, or plumber's number in your phone? And what I'm trying to gauge is us having this discussion with someone the other day in terms of if you're not connected, let's say, with the trades, right, And I think more and more the way our society is structured, we're not necessarily as connected to trades and trades people as we might have been a few years ago. So if you needed to phone right now a plumber, please don't phone a plumber, an electrician, or a sparky. Would you have their numbers in your phone? It's just a yes or no, And I'll try and keep track of the text that went nuts last time we did it, which was great, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. So the moot is, do you have plumber, electrician, and carpenter Chippy in your phone? Could you call them right now from your contacts in your phone? And I'm trying to gauge just how connected we are to trades if looking for a trades person, how is it for most of you? How easy or how difficult is it? And I'm thinking if you've got their number in your phone, then it's going to be easy. If you don't, then you're going to have to go and look somebody up, or you know, phone a friend or something like that. So how do you find a trade? The text are already starting to come in. We're off to a flying start. Yes for the first one. So I will ride up a little bit of a telly and I'll see how I go. It does get pretty busy, but it'll be awesome. So do you have top three trades people? Plumber, Electrician, Chippy in your phone? Could you phone them right now? Not suggesting that you do because they're having a line as well. Kate, A very good morning.
Speaker 4: Morning, Pete.
Speaker 8: You didn't put me down as a yes, excellent, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I feel as though I am giving you a running commentary on my project, because I'm sure i've been you every couple of weeks my nest problem. If I may, it's going really well and my trade e's are excellent.
Speaker 4: But I don't know if you'd be called that.
Speaker 8: I'm using a Kitset company, right, and they have they have been all right, the products have been all right, but they've been riding late or they've been the wrong products. This time they have accordated booth instead of what I wanted, which was a square profile, do you know what I mean? So, so this will be quick, But my question to you is how long does it take a roofing company to rerun a new profile? Because it should it should happen quickly. Otherwise my scaffoldings up are not the costing. So I just I've been trying to find out and this company won't actually tell me, they won't get back to me in a timely manner, and I'm trying to find out. How long should it take them to provide me with the right profile?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, I think if you said two weeks, I wouldn't be surprised. So if, for example, what's happened is now, can we just go one step beyond that or one step back from there? I presume that in your contract and in the specifications. You were very clear about the profile of the long run that you had selected.
Speaker 8: Well, I had sent photographs, okay, and they said, yes, that's a that's one we commonly provide.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, so there's clear there's a paper trail to say. You made it very clear that that's what you wanted. So I'm just making sure there wasn't kind of because people often talk about corrigid iron, right, but they may you know, I know what krugid irons. You know what it is, but other people might think it looks like something slightly different. Or if you say a square profile, you know, is that a standing scene type thing? The there's different things, Okay. So they knew what it was that you wanted. When it arrived on site. It was the standard corrugates crinkly iron, and you've gone, hang on, I asked for a flat profile or a more square profile. So they would have gone back to their supplier and said, hey, look, can you run that order again. The quantities are the same, the length of the sheet is the same. Two weeks wouldn't be unreasonable.
Speaker 8: Gosh, the architect apparently put on the consent of plans corrugated ruth Ah, And when I spoke to him, he said, no, it shouldn't make any difference to the council.
Speaker 5: That's a little bit to be blunt. It's a little bit of a laxadaisical attitude, to be fair, because you know, the whole thing is like plans are supposed to be contracts these days, right, That's how we regard them. So if somebody puts it down as a particular profile, that's what you should use. Because the warranty is going to be different and the installation details are going to be different for a different product. Shouldn't make a big deal, but it will make a bit of an issue. So but look, if you've made it clear in your discussions with the supplier that that's what you wanted, they've ended up sending out the wrong profile of long run, then yeah, I think two to three weeks and anything beyond that. And it kind of feels like people are busy, but not that busy, right, So if they're doing a reasonable amount of business with the roofing firm, they'll be able to send that through. And also it's a relatively compact building, isn't it.
Speaker 8: Well, it's only seventy three square music.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, So it's not a massive roof. It's a simple roof structure, so there's not like lots of different lengths of iron that they have to do. Even that doesn't make.
Speaker 6: It any difference, you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a heap at one end in otherwise okay, all right?
Speaker 5: No, I think two three weeks possibly, but no more than three, right, thank you?
Speaker 8: All right, So that's a bit more scaff Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and you know, it's probably not unreasonable to go back to them and say, hey, look, the only reason I've got the scaffolding up is you need the edge protection. So either I'm going to take it down, you're going to have to provide your own, or you're going to have to contribute to the cost of the scaffolding because the mistake is completely on you. That's not unreasonable, right.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 8: The cloud is not up, the joiner is not up.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, So you need scaffolding for a lot of other things as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, what order can things happen? Can they? Can they do other jobs?
Speaker 9: First?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: The roof, I mean typically you want to get the roof on, right, That's that's why we have a roof. Shout right, it's to encourage us to get up there and get the roof on, because you really don't want to be installing cladding. You certainly don't want to be installing windows if you're not you know, if you don't have a lid on it basically okay, not really unless they're going to wrap it, but even that not a great idea.
Speaker 4: Well they have wrapped it as in.
Speaker 5: A scaffold with a tent over the top.
Speaker 8: Sorry, no, no, no, just a paper on. Yeah, okay, sorry I didn't understand that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, no, it's but look that's a really expensive option. So I mean it's a great option, but I wouldn't push them to do that right now. I think just push them to go. Look, you just really need to get that roofing on as quickly as possible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it does take a while to anything, but not really, you know, to.
Speaker 5: Be fair, you know, is it a common color?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: What color?
Speaker 6: Did you?
Speaker 5: It's flexpot? Okay, all right, so there's there's there's probably about five or six colors that are really common. Flexpod would be one of them. It's a great color, in which case it's not an issue of oh, we've got to order that coil in right, so if they say we've got to order the coil, you're kind of like, yeah, no, you just ran the last lot. So unless you ran out, that's unusual as well. Good luck with it, Kate. Yeah, all of this already, take care, already all this by Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. I'm loving the text response that, So my moot is in your phone and your contacts on your phone? Do you have phone numbers for Plumber, Electrician, and Sparky? And to be fair, even if you got two or out of three, that's pretty good. Thus far, only one person has said that they don't have any contacts like that in their phone, which is interesting. Oh wait, that's what That's why I want to run this little survey. Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty will sundred. Good morning to you, Oh good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 7: Thank you? Kim?
Speaker 4: Oh Gross, I'm answering your questions, the moot question, the moot I've got all three okay.
Speaker 5: And there I'm curious because is that because you've done renovation projects over the years and you've kept their details, or you've got friends who happen to be tradespeople.
Speaker 4: No, the home is nearly four years old, and I've got them when it was.
Speaker 5: Built, right, Okay, well that's perfect then yeah, yeah, yeah. It was one of those conversations us having with a friend during the week, and it was I guess I've got this image that you know, back in the day, most of us would have known someone in the trades, right, And I just wonder whether for maybe a younger generation or people that haven't been you know, if you've bought let's say house and you don't need to do any renovations or alterations, then you may not have contacts for trades people, in which case it is kind of a question, but how do you find them? So I'm just curious that most people still have those contacts, which is awesome.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Awesome for me because I moved from one city to another. Yes, so it's good to have these contexts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good point. Yes, yeah, that's right. If you've got people in one town, they you know, depending on how far you shift, that's a little bit challenge.
Speaker 4: Well, I just did quite away from to Hamilton, so.
Speaker 5: Tell you as I was, as I was wandering the streets of Timaru. Yesterday. I was looking at the real estate windows, going, oh, oh yeah, it's great, Sandra, thank you very much for calling. Really appreciate. I'll tell you what I love about Timoru, the fact that the city and the port are so close, and that if you go for a bit of a drive or a walk like I did, there's all of these commercial buildings, a lot of them old heritage buildings, big old brick buildings and that right down by the in the port area. And to be fair, some of them look like they're not occupied, or they're partly vacant or something like that. And I was wandering along looking at these buildings, singing, man, I could come down here and I could get into one of these old buildings and do like a really funky sort of apartment warehouse he type thing, and be looking out at the water and looking the other way to the mountains, and anyway we dream. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eight is the number, John text is a roof shout, still a thing, to be fair, not as they are certainly not as boisterous as they used to be. And I don't know that clients necessarily understand them as much as they used to do as well. Like the funny thing that used to do, and we're talking like thirty odd years ago, is that you would do You'd put the flag up, but you'd put the flag in the most inaccessible part of the roof, right, And that was the trades would get together and they'd go to the highest part of the roof and then they'd get a bit of four to two and they'd wrap a bit of plastic from the timber wrap and that around it, and they'd raise that as high as possible. And the idea was that the client would then be that would send a signal to everyone else that the client was due to do a roof shout. And by putting it somewhere where it wasn't easily removed, the only way that the flag would come down is if the trades got back up there and took it down after they'd had the roof shout. I don't think it's like that anymore. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty back with Rudy in just a moment, and you with new sorts. There'd be people camp with you this morning talking all things building and construction. Couple of quick text, Hey Pete is a roof shout still a thing from John. No, probably not in the same way that it used to be. And to be fair, I've been to a fair few of fairly boisterous ones back in the day, but we're talking a while ago. And look, for good reason there is now. You know, in terms of health and safety, it's not a great look to be shouting guys a bunch of years and perhaps they're not providing, you know, an alternative for them to get home and those sorts of things. So for very good reason, people are less likely to spend time on site, having a few at the end of a job and so on. So that's changed a little bit. And I guess too, you know, the majority of houses that are being built now are not necessarily being built by clients that the builders know. So group home builders, developers, speculators and so on say that, in the best possible sense, might be building houses that will be built on spec and then they'll be sold, so you don't have that immediacy of a relationship. I can encourage you, and I say this quite a bit. If you are doing sort of a bespoke build where you've got a relationship with the builder, you get to know them, you spend time working through the plans with them, and that sort of thing, scones, coffee, these sorts of things. Building that relationship and bolstering it with a little bit of nutrition is a very very good thing. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call quick other text thinking about Catherine's roofing material. If a supplier of mind delivered the wrong product, even if it did normally take two weeks, I'd expect them to fast track it and remake it. Well, that's true, except it might be that the company that's building in this case, the sort of mine in dwelling seventy square meters placed in order and they were wrong. So it's not the roofing supplier, not the person running the product. They were told this is the profile, but they had incorrect information. So yeah, you'd like to think that'd help them out, And you'd like to think that the person who made the incorrect order would do what they could to try and hasten the delivery of the correct material. But it's it's not like it's come from the manufacturer. So typically if you've you know, it might be a case of you have a contract with the builder or the main contractor. The main contractor orders the materials. They then get sent to the roofing manufacturer who runs the product. Or it might go through a roofer, so the builder calls the roofer, the roofer goes out, does the site measure and forwards the order through to the provider to the manufacturer. So you can see where there's always a possibility for, you know, mistakes to happen like that, and they do happen a lot. I'm guessing. I'm just wondering what's going to happen to the other eye and that's sitting around now. Oh wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 11: Good morning to you, Yeah, good morning peak. About five and a half years ago, we bought half share in our house with our son. It was a show home that had been a show home for two years and then we bought it after that. And the reason we bought it was because he lives a long way away from us. We didn't want any sort of hassles, you know, with him living in this house. So first hassle we had we had a fairly serious leak in the kitchen where they had to replace all the beauty panels on the kitchen because they got water damage. That happened quite a few years ago. And then just recently he rang me and said, oh, the paint's bubbling off the wall in the on swite that's backing on to the shower. And looking at it and photos, it seemed that there was where they're probably it should have been silicon in a tile joint. It looked like there was grouse in there and water had got through broken ground out you know, with expansion, and got him behind the wall and was soaking up the wall and pushing the paint off. I spoke to the it's a franchise builder, so he spoke to the franchise owner and he came and had to look and arming and ring, you know. Anyway, while just before he arrived, I was walking down the hallway past the second bathroom and looked down on the corner of the carpet by the door frame, and there's a little toadstool growing on the lord. So I pulled the carpet, carpet against tiles, pulled the carpet back. The smooth edge had totally disintegrated with water. The corner of the carpet was quite damp, and so when he came to look at the other showers, I took him down there. And there's a few boys living in a house, right, so.
Speaker 8: I thought, well, you know, maybe it's coming over.
Speaker 11: The top of the tiles. You know, they're not too careful about what they're doing coming in and out of the shower and stuff like that. So I said, you know, look at this sort of thing, you know, And there was a little bit of broken out grout in that bathroom, but outside the shower. He seemed to think, oh, maybe it's water getting in there and tracking down.
Speaker 6: To the doorway.
Speaker 11: One of the boys had a shower that night, and I went back in the bathroom and had a look, and basically there's no water coming out under the shower door, you know, looks at him, comes out maybe and a half so there's no way waters flooding all the way, you know, nearly two meters from the shower to the doorway. So it's getting to the doorway in another way. He's sort of sawn little maintenance is shoes, I'm saying, really bad workmanship, don't I don't really know.
Speaker 5: And so given the age of it, right, so whether it's got a you know, some sort of guarantee from you know, there's a couple of insurance guarantees. There's there used to be the Halo scheme, there's the master builder scheme, those sorts of things, right, So if it's got one of those master builders, okay, all right, well that's that's going to be interested. Well they should be.
Speaker 11: They say, f's workmanship and water damage three years.
Speaker 5: Okay, is that in the contract?
Speaker 11: Well that's what they told me.
Speaker 5: It'd be good to get the contract and actually haven't read through it yourself and not just believe what someone's telling you on the phone. So I would I would start there. The other thing is that and this is something that perhaps I should really get a lawyer to speak to this as well. Like there's there's obviously building regulations, right, and there's minimum durability requirements for different parts of the building. Right.
Speaker 11: Very hard to find out these things, aren't.
Speaker 5: There are no If you go to building Performance dot gov dot NZ and you know that sort of thing, there's a lot of information there. So and then the fact that it's these things should be done to a certain standard, right, and they have a minimum durability requirement, and that is actually backed up by consumer law. Right, So not having insurance or thinking that you're buying an insurance policy and that's the only redress you have is incorrect, because you have redress under consumer law. And my understanding has always been that there should be at least a ten year minimum warranty on waterproofing.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So, and also your comments about grout, grout is not there. And even if it's grout that's put in somewhere that should be flexible. There should be and given that the house is only seven years old, a complete waterproof membrane behind that, right, and that shouldn't fail. So tiles are not necessarily waterproof. Grout is definitely not waterproof, et cetera. So the fact that you've got water somewhere that it shouldn't is a failure of the waterproofing. So I would go The other thing to do is go back. It might be in the documents you had at the sale and purchase. It might be in the master bill guarantee if you've got one, certainly at council in the CCC application will be a PS three from the waterproofer.
Speaker 11: Yeah I'm not he is looking at it, But are you squeaking a little bit. Yeah, and I'm going, well, you know, really you should just be going and yeah, okay, we'll sort it out and not sort of that frustrates me a little bit. Yeah, And the reason we bought we bought our sort of fairly as new house was not to have these problems, you know. So yeah, so you're saying ten years on waterproof I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 5: And look, I'm more than happy to do a bit of research this week and talk to a couple of waterproofers and that sort of thing and see exactly what it is. But I've always worked on thissumption that it's ten years, right, which isn't actually that long.
Speaker 11: And well, you know, just as a fairly upmarket franchise, and I will expect sort of ten years of relatively maintenance free.
Speaker 5: You don't expect to see toadstools growing in your house that's seven years old.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 8: Look, it just.
Speaker 5: Becomes a sort of push hard, push hard. And there's also requirement under the Act that remediation has to be done in a timely fashion. So and that's typically again in the Construction Contracts Act, because there will have been a contract for that work that remediation must occur within twelve months.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So from the point of view of like, you're basically relying on the silicon to seal the shower, aren't you, well, at right angles at right angle joints.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. Wherever there's a right angle joint, so an internal cornerunction between the floor and so on, you don't put grout in there. You do ceilant because it allows for a little bit of movement, But the ceilant is there just to deflect the moisture.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: The waterproofing behind it is what's doing the waterproofing. It's a fully toiled bathroom, tild's.
Speaker 11: Shower and tiled floor in the rest of the bathroom with a tiled skirting.
Speaker 5: Gotcha.
Speaker 11: How far does the waterproof extend out of the shower?
Speaker 6: Is it on the concrete floor?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it goes on the concrete slab.
Speaker 5: You see. Sometimes I've seen guys just waterproof the shower enclosure and not the.
Speaker 11: Water is coming through under the tiles in the shower. Once they get out of the shower box. There's no waterproofing, is there.
Speaker 5: Well, there may not. I mean, look, my my approach has always been just waterproof the entire floor, right, And the other thing is that at the threshold, so between at the doorway, typically there needs to be a water stop, which is a little angle that gets inserted there and if water is tracking along underneath the tiles, and to be fair, I saw it the other day with my own eyes, and I'd always been a little bit really how does that happen? Type thing? And I went to a remedial job and the guys were pulling up a floor tile that was adjacent a level entry shower, and the water had tracked underneath the tiles, and the essentially the adhesive and some of the floor leveling compound there was saturated.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So water does migrate, and so we're trying to stop that from leaving. So there should be a bandage up the walls. So you tile, you'd waterproof the floor and up the wall, so you created a bandage right around the perimeter, and then at the doorway there should be a water stop.
Speaker 11: So with a skirting tile outside the shower, just a one hundred mills high tile or whatever that acts of skirting going towards the doorway, you expect that to be waterproof.
Speaker 5: I would expect the junction hind there you know, the upstand to be fully waterproofed and bandaged. Yep, yeah, good luck with all of us. Know how you get on?
Speaker 6: Eh?
Speaker 5: All the best? Take care Ready, we'll take a short break. It is six forty seven here at news Talk ZB. We're also running a completely unscientific little pole, which I quite enjoy. Recently have done a number of these, and my question the moot was, or my question to you is. I was in a discussion during the week with a friend of mine and we were talking about, you know, would most people be able to go into their contacts list on their phone and find a plumber, electrician or sparky. And I had sort of got the sense that maybe people are not as connected with trades as they might have been in the past, and so I was thinking, be interesting to see sort of get a sense of where people are at thus far on our terribly unscientific, unreliable pole. Most people do. So I got about sort of twenty one two votes that yes, I do. Some people might have two out of the three, which is all right. Some people have gone on to complain about one hundred dollars an hour that they have to pay for some of these trades. People but anyway, that's not the point. And only three people have said I don't have any contacts at all for any of those top three trades people, or the ones that you're most likely going to have to call potentially in an emergency. Right, power has gone off, there's a water leak, or something's falling off your house. Right, so it's going to be electrician, plumber, chippy basically, if you've got their numbers in your phone, yes, we'll know on the text machine. Grant a very good morning sir.
Speaker 7: Good morning pee.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 12: I'm pretty good one excellent, one would think, well as one. As they've got your wed side addresses number, the they should be hooked up.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Hey, really, I was playing with a train.
Speaker 12: Station now today and not train station, a model in that and I was looking at it an infrastructure and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: Right, And.
Speaker 12: In christ Church I heard you talk about Turmaru and yeah, there are some lovely buildings down there. You could do some really good things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 12: Porch armers and anyway, if you're going for hours about beauty of that place. But yeah, and so I was looking at christ Church and I was thinking, man, you know the sand heilds down in Brighton.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I wonder moving moving those right, because they're not a they're not a natural structure. They were put there the before the atomic testing just in case we've got a splash back on the Yeah, yeah, that's not it's not no, no, no, straight up done and done in like forty five or around that area. My dad drove the big dozers that pushed it up there. But yeah, it was originally pushed there to stop the sand. So I'm thinking about real estate, and I was putting in this big train station and stuff like that, and I thought, Wow, I wonder how hard it would be to actually, you know, get about moving those houses.
Speaker 5: So I guess that's a hard thing for christ is. It's all that T one, T two, T three. So whether or not I mean building on sand, I don't know. I'll do a little google around the Did they put the sand there to protect from I don't think so. I don't think so oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's a little bit off topic. Thanks Grant. Chrissy, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 13: So I got a couple of quick cook VI questions for you. The first question is no, I don't have any trades people on my phone.
Speaker 5: That's thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 13: PVC double glading versus aluminium, Yes, which would you choose?
Speaker 5: I don't know that it's a simple binary yes noo to that. I think you've got to look at location. You've got to look at what it is that you're trying to achieve. If it is thermal performance, and that's one of the benefits of uPVC, And I was doing a presentation yesterday. I've got charts from the Window Association telling you what the heat loss is through different types of joinery. Right, So uPVC is thermally very efficient, as in it's a terrible conductor of heat. Therefore it's thermally resistant. But then again, thermally broken aluminium is also higher than standard aluminium, timber being higher than both of them fiberglass, which is a little bit rare in New Zealand. So you there's there's a bit more subtlety to it than a yes, snow one's better than the other.
Speaker 13: So one of the reasons I asked is because though through a friend's house and all their window sills of rotten, Yes, because the windows haven't been maintained over the years, you know, dile bent, their movement hasn't haven't been cleaned, and a lot of people don't do it anyway. And so obviously your thermal dynamics with your heat and you're cooling on each side, and obviously all the water droplets have formed on the minium and drip onto the edge I believe, and rotted it all out.
Speaker 4: And that's that.
Speaker 13: That's the bit that concerns me. I suppose if I goes aluminium stuff and price point, I'm not sure which is cheaper.
Speaker 5: Typically there's a premium for uPVC. But then there's also a benefit, right, so if your thermal performance is better, then potentially you've got a saving long term if you're doing a retrofit. I've seen some retrofit systems that utilize uPVC joinery which are quite smart. And then there are other benefits to uPVC in terms of hardware and like there's a flexibility. I've seen some recently where for example, a window that is a casement window also becomes a bottom hung window that opens inwards so to allow for ventilation. Now that's a I guess a functionality that you can achieve with some of the uPVC suites that are out there that you won't get with aluminium, and to be fair, you won't get it with timber either, So yeah, you know, take some time. It's a big decision of this.
Speaker 13: I've known you to do the house Peace Fields. They can afford it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Another quick question is tell you what can I just ask you to hold because we've got news, Sport and weather coming up right at the top of the hour, which is just a couple of seconds away, and I'll try and answer this question about master builders. And I've got a story for you straight after the news at seven o'clock as well. Actually, it was very nice to see the Light Force Solar people at the Timaru Home and Garden Show. They had to stand there as well, So I was in Timuru yesterday, said they stayed Friday night Saturday morning, went out to the Home and Garden Show which is on actually it's on through to probably four o'clock, five o'clock today and had a bit of a chat with them. I do a presentation there called what does Good Look Like? And it's kind of a little bit of a reflection about you know, we've we've started to talk more about good building, right. We want warm, dry, comfortable, and that's that's great to look for, But what is it that you're actually looking for if we're talking about good buildings? So anyway, that's what I was talking too, but talking about it's good fun, actually lovely people, timuru and developing quite the soft spot for the actually fantastic little what was it a little antique store that I found, had to wander around the basilica as well, which was quite nice, a bit of a two tou along the coastline and that sort of thing. That was great, fantastic right, Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eight. You've got a story for you in just a minute, but we'll finish up the question with Chrissy. So, Chrissy, one of the things you're talking about is are you doing when you say you're going to do a piecemeal approach to replacing joinery. You're replacing the joinery because it's sort of past, it's used by date, or you want something that's more thermally efficient. So what's your current joinery? Is it aluminum or timber?
Speaker 13: So it's a nineteen thirty's house, course it's timber the California, Yeah, exactly in the front windows basically at the moment and that they still work. All the windows are all there and all secure, and put that bit of bone stuff around for the draft. But I'm just looking to replace the front ones at the moment, and that's what I was wanting to on the back of that, I was going to ask to be very quick vision just.
Speaker 5: On that quickly.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 5: If if that timber joinery is sound right, and you know you could you could upgrade the hinges, why wouldn't you just look at doing a retrofit double glazing to your existing joinery, Because you know, from a thermal performance point of view, timber performs exceptionally well. So if you sort out the drafts and add the double glazing, the only thing where it will not be that great is potentially air leakage around the perimeter of the frame. But then again, you probably don't have building paper on the house, in which case you've got lots of air leakage. Anyway, No, I do.
Speaker 13: I mean when I bought the house that failed the next test for the guy that had the house completely important pass the board and an insulation in the water, that was all done, so okay, So you mean whether router out the double glazing? Yeah, yeah. Yeah, I'll tell you why because I can't be bositing on future maintenance.
Speaker 5: I like your honesty, chrisy I do. Look, I understand that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 13: One I'm going to give you a little jokes as a joke, how much is a plumber get paid on overtime time?
Speaker 14: And a turd.
Speaker 7: Go for it?
Speaker 13: Extended on the extension on the back of the house, no smil infallation in between?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 13: Could I so the tens there? Could I put a false roof on top of that and then put insulation and then the newton on top of that?
Speaker 6: Yes? Say yes.
Speaker 5: So just do a Google search for warm roof right, and it's not uncommon. And it sounds like I've been traveling a lot, because I have been traveling a lot. So last weekend I was in Wellington for the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveys conference and I was at some workshops on the Saturday morning and one of the presentations was from Viking and they do warm roof warm roof retrofit solutions. So it's it's very specific and you've there's there's a lot of science. You've got to get it right. But it could be a really good solution for you.
Speaker 13: And so that would also mean that people doing their main rooms wouldn't have to take that old.
Speaker 5: Off exactly that exactly that, No, not at all. No, I think we're going to see some pretty significant growth in that area, I think going forward. All right, my pleasure, take care of them by by them. Thank you, Chrissy. We'll talk to Bevan in just a moment. I need to tell you a story, and it's a little bit of a tricky one to try and explain. There is a property that I look after right that I renovated and that I continued to maintain, and it is listed as accommodation, so it's fully furnished. It's essentially Airbnb, but it's listed through a local holiday home company and it gets rented out. And so in the public sphere are photographs of the inside of that because you know, someone wants to search for a holiday home in Devenport and they could find this property, et cetera. And we've got photographs that we took or we had taken for that house. And inadvertently, a couple of years ago there was a bit of a muck up where photographs from our property were associated with a property that happens to be two doors down right, And so we got that sorted out and those photographs were taken down. And then the other day I was informed that that property two doors down from the one that we look after is up for sale. And so I thought I'd be interested to know a bit of the history and that sort of thing. I'll go to the good people, the old, good old website homes dot co dot nz. So I went to homestock code ont Nz and you type in the address and it brings up details, rough details about the house, the size of the section, it brings up a bit of a sales history. It's generally got a photograph taken like from you know, Google street View or something like that, of the outside of the house. And I had to look through that and it was kind of interesting. And then I scrolled back to the top and then there were photographs of the inside of the house. There were photographs of the kitchen, there were photographs of the backyard. And then I looked at the photographs and went, hang on, they're photographs from two doors up. They're not photographs from that house. They're photographs from the house that I look after. And I thought, okay, well I should really get in touch and you tell them that they the photographs are not correct, right, which I think information is it's important to get it right. So anyway, I scrolled through, looked for the contact list. There's no telephone number, so I emailed them and said, could you please contact me to discuss the photographs because they're wrong. Anyway, that was on Tuesday. I haven't heard from them, so I don't know what they're going to do about it, but I thought you'd be interested in knowing that, So there you go. It was quite the moment sort of looking at the photographs of the house, going actually they're photographs from it's my work attributed to somebody else's house. So I don't think it's very good. Not answering your emails also not very good. It is thirteen minutes after seven oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call quick one on the pole, So we've been running a pole. We'll do it through toll about eight o'clock. What I was curious to know is, and I was having this discussion with a friend during the week, would most of us have in our contacts on our phone and a contact for let's say a carpenter, a sparky electrician, and a plumber. And my sense was that as we kind of become a little bit more dislocated from the trades, less and less people would have or fewer people would have those contacts readily at hand, I in your contact list on your phone. And so that's what we're doing a poll on. Thus far, it's a about twenty five people who have pulled through, so it's just a yes no answer have said yes they do, and at discount only about four or five have said no they don't, which kind of surprised me. So we'll run that through to eight o'clock this morning. Remember also, we've got our painting expert, Bryce McDermott will be on the line in about fifteen minutes, so if you've got any specific painting questions, please text them through right now. There we go, New.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 5: A couple more texts are coming in for our unscientific I make no apologies for the fact that it's unscientific. However, Paul, who has far greater insight into these things than I do, Pete b Ree, you or unscientific poll, given that those responding and listening to a very good building DII show. Thank you, Paul. I'm not surprised that the majority would have trade contacts. It would be interesting to poll the general population might be a different result. True, But all I've got is you guys, which I'm happy to be with today. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is I love this one? Yes to all three, but only because they're a mix of brother and two cousins. On the upside, they do help out for free, and man, I love that side of things. You know that still exists. I think for a lot of kiwis that the kind of ring up a mate who knows a mate who comes around and sorts stuff out. Or if you're an older trade and you've got kids, I mean the number of trades that I talk to have got you know, sort of adult children. Oh yeah, I working at the daughter's place today. That that's a pretty common thing too. I think my time will come. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. So I mentioned the issue about the homes dot co dot nz information homestock code ot nz is not a listing right, So someone texts, I want it to just call the agent. Well, it's not on the agent's website. It's on the homes dot code dot Nz website where photographs from another property which I know, appear on a property that happens to be too draws down which is incorrect. And I wanted to contact them to say that's incorrect. You know, is it incorrect? Is it misleading? Well it is, because that's not that house anyway. They haven't replied, just leading, you know. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call?
Speaker 6: Same thing?
Speaker 5: Read my home someone texts wrong in phone photos for my address. Was told they could not change it. What do you mean they can't change it? Everything's changeable only trading in my phone's a mechanic fabulous love that Bevan greetings, Hey Pete.
Speaker 14: Be trading in the phone. We've done quite a few renovations. But we've got we've got every possible and I'll tell you, I'll tell you there's a multiple reasons why. And we've done it too obviously. I put it under a builder or electrical plumber, guests for a plus for a planner, architecke whatever, followed by the mate.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah that's closely yep.
Speaker 14: Yeah, because you know what when I'm on a boy's trip away or if I've died, my wife needs to know how to access that stuff. Yes, so we've done two things. One we've got the same pink code on our phone, so she didn't open my phone. And two I've shared it and put it on her phone. Oh, if I'm away in and there's a leak and you know something like the guess, she can look up guests for it, and there's two, two or three of them. Mere she can take a picture. She can't get the first guy or girl. How brilliant and it's easy, and you know what the amount of clients and friends. I've shared that to your phone, you know, like the someone wants a cobblestone Mayer here it is cobblestone Mayer Gordon.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 7: It makes it so easy.
Speaker 14: So go that step further, either share your pink code with your wife or put those trades on her phone, because it's probably the hassle when you're away trying to go. You know, you don't want to be getting a call to figure out who talk to him.
Speaker 5: And so it's really and I do quite like that with and I've got sort of the same thing in my phone that often it will be John, and then in brackets plumber, you know John Sparky.
Speaker 14: If your wife doesn't know it's John.
Speaker 5: Yes, but then you just search for a spark.
Speaker 14: I suppose, yeah, I yes, I.
Speaker 6: Mean I do.
Speaker 5: But there I looked through my phone the other day because you know it's a tool, right, and I go I went into I just went into count into contexts. Actually total number of contexts two thousand and eighty two. Yeah, and I'm thinking, I'm we and we never call them. I did say it was a producer. To be fair, some of them are people who have passed away. I just don't want to lose their numbers. So anyway, Hey Mack, thanks very much for the call. You have a great day all of us. Take care by then, uh three trades of my phone context list is my husband? He does all three. We might need to talk about that, to be fair. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number sent through your painting questions as well. Because Bryce, our painting expert from Razine, will be with us in about ten minutes or so, so we'll take your questions on all things painting as well. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number two call, Hey, Dave, good morning to you.
Speaker 6: Oh hello today, Dave.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I've just been listening to your talk back here for half an hour and more now, and it's it's quite interestingly different things people are saying about building and that, but our work as a painter decorator. I'm retired actually.
Speaker 7: Yes still.
Speaker 10: And one thing I've noticed as a trend over for quite a few years now of the obsession with the color of black, yeah, especially roofs. And I've traveled a bit to Japan and Australia come back in God, what's gone wrong with New Zealand? We're gone to this depressing color. I actually went to a new house the other day to do a bit of work and I've got a shop. When I saw this house, it had to be how diliest thing I've ever seen. It was actually squeer like a shed.
Speaker 4: It was all.
Speaker 10: Corrugated iron, beautiful outside, and it was painted black.
Speaker 5: Gorgeous.
Speaker 10: Oh my god, what happened? But there seems that I'm just like to me, it seems to be a tree in now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people do want dark colors. And look, I did a little project where we added a sleepout slash office at the back and I wanted that to kind of just disappear in the backyard, and so we ended up painting at a really dark color as it happens, because it's a dark color, and some of like some of it was corrugated cladding corri of iron cladding, so that's baked in so roof and two walls Corrigo dye for durability. Other two walls were battened and board, but I wanted them to be dark. Ended up using the Raisin Cool color system, so you can do that because otherwise dark colors on timber is not recommended, and in fact it might avoid the warranty. But look, people do want it. I mean, I don't find it, Like I don't mind. My own house is a light color, right. The project that we did, we painted it black white. It's basically stark white. So I just think if people want to individualize themselves and that sort of thing, I certainly have no issue around painting something dark or having a dark house, as long as you understand how it performs in terms of heat retention, and also that you're choosing the right materials so that it doesn't impact on durability of the paint. System. But a funny thing was Dave two the other day. I was yesterday, literally I left these gardens just outside of Ashburton on the out on Racecourse Road I think it was, and I was heading back in and there was a new build going on and it was exactly what you were talking about. It was dark, basically black corrugated iron. And as I drove past, the kind of look back and what it was was basically five garages. I kid you not five garages and then a little house at the end. And I'm like, hmm, okay, I get that. Actually it's about the right proportion. Five garages, small house at the end. That'll work. Oh wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call a couple of text messages. Oh now we're getting a bunch of texts for Bryce, which is awesome because he's on the line. We're going to talk to Bryce McDermott, our painting expert from Razine straight after the break. If you've got a specific painting question, text them through to me right now. And a very good morning and a warm welcome to you, Bryce McDermott. Thanks for getting up extra early on a good on daylight Savings morning?
Speaker 6: How are you? Bryce?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 6: Bryce?
Speaker 7: Oops?
Speaker 5: Sorry, mate, there we go, there you go, gotcha? Yeah you are indeed, Hey, thank you very much. I mean, I know it's always it's a little bit of a struggle when we swap into daylight saving. So thanks for joining us this morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I've forgot to put the clock forward instantly left an hour?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, I set the car yesterday. But now I'm sure most of us now walk up to the microwave into the oven and go, now, how do I change the time again? I inevitably have to go back to the instruction manual. Anyway, that's not what we're here to talk about. We're into spring officially, we're into daylight saving officially. A lot of us are starting to think about exterior painting. So before painting is prep. Top things to do with prep?
Speaker 6: Right? Yeah, Well, the.
Speaker 7: First thing is just to go through the shed, I would imagine, and make sure that you go all the gear that you need.
Speaker 6: You know, your.
Speaker 7: Extension cords and your ladders and everything like that are up to scratch. Yes, you know, your roll with sleeves and your tools and your paint brushes and all that sort of stuff. Just have a good flassic through and just make sure you're all ready to go.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: And then in terms of actual prep, you know, if it's the classic weatherboard house, maybe it's get you know, getting to that point where you're starting to see a bit of flaking or losing some color and maybe there's a little bit of rock developing. You know, if it's not the complete strip back, typically, what's the process for that prep prior to painting, Well, you.
Speaker 7: Know, you need to wash the area down to know who's our house washing paint prep, you know, scrub the building down and just get rid of any dust and moss and mold and stuff, and then scrape and send any any loose and flaking areas and spot prime those and then to recoating. You know, when the weather is to scratch sort of thing. It's not looking at great at the moment, but you know it's still a little bit cold for September, yeah, which will be October very shortly, but it's still quite a little bit cold for this time of the year.
Speaker 5: That I thought, Yeah, so again you've got to be very aware of that that you don't want to be painting too early in the morning and leave enough time for it to dry in the afternoons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, between ten and two when it dry quite cold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, brilliant. Like, let's rip into a couple of questions. We've got some doozies. Good morning, Peat and Brice. I've just used dura groove, which is a fiber cement panel for interior lining. How do I prepare for painting and what paint do I use? So dura groove is probably like a looks like a tongue groove sheet, but it is fiber cement and it's on the interior. So what's the process?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean providing it's all dust free and brand new and everything like that. You know, you could use in a correct prime and like quick dry, you know, paint that up and and whatever your Topkate color is going to be. Because it's interior, a quick drive be absolutely fine.
Speaker 5: I would have made right, okay. And then would you like just trying to think how they might have fixed it, whether it's they've pinned it on or screwed it on. Would you fill the holes before priming or would you prime it then fill the holes then spot prime?
Speaker 7: I would probably hmmm, yes, I would probably prime before before you've you know, you put the yeah filler and then fill them then spot prime.
Speaker 5: Absolutely all right, that's awesome. Now, someone who wants to paint seiling battings, skirts, and architraves that are currently polyurethane, So how best to achieve that process? Wide? So polyurethane on skirts, architraves and ceiling batons, painting.
Speaker 7: Them okay, give them a good clean down, yep, and just lightly send them up for a tenant to provide a key. And then you can use a new product of ours called water board and sure seal, which will stick quite happily to polyuythane type surfaces and things like that, and then proceed with a paint color over the top and acrylic undercoat or even an oil undercoat. But you know, waterboard sure seal is awesome for sticking for that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: Awesome. Okay. Now, exterior timber vertical weather boards that have been oiled, people are thinking about painting them as a long lasting option. The oiling is well over board, so the boards look well overduice, so the boards look pretty dry. Best course of.
Speaker 7: Action hmmm, oiled, I'm goin to.
Speaker 14: Oil.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, like like a Dryden's or a wood x or something like that. Yes, in which case there's probably not a lot you can do because you know, mineral oils look like they've disappeared on the surface, but they're actually still floating around inside the timber fibers, and oil painting them and or undercoating them, which you'd have to do with an oil undercoat, would actually draw the oils out and it would you know, the paint would basically start peeling away and basic. So you know, if it's an oil, a mineral oil, especially you've had it basically you have to stick with a mineral oil to carry on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, So it's important then that you try and do some research as to what's already on there to make sure that you've got compatibility. Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: If it's a standard penetrating stain like Woodsman or something like that, you'd be fine. Yep, you just have to put an oil based wood primer on it. But if it's a mineral oil, then you need to watch out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. Now, someone that has moved and recently and the inside of the garage is in need of a paint. They found an almost full can of and it happens to be a not razine paint, so we'll leave that out for a second. Exterior lochine x so an old can of exterior lo sheine paint. What I mean, like I to be fair, I use some polyurethane the other day that I bought in twenty sixteen, right, and I sent a photograph actually to you, mate, Jay and when look at me, buddy, Horder hanging on to old paint. But it seems to be okay. But there is kind of a golden rule around how long you can keep paint. Isn't there before it's it's no longer good?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it depends on how it's stored. Right, you know, if the can is air tight, you know, you might be okay with it. Yes, with a crylics you know, this ear gets in obviously they'll just yep, you'll get a big thick skin on the top of it. Either that or you know, after a period of time, they actually start to go off, you know.
Speaker 6: And they smell bad.
Speaker 7: So check it out first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you open the lid and it smells bad, like that classic rotten egg smell, then go and recycle the paint, get rid of it and buy some proper.
Speaker 7: Page down to one of our stores and get it recycled.
Speaker 5: Brilliant, brilliant. Now someone wants to paint their shed an iron shed, so you know, maybe sort of a pre coated iron shed. What would they need to PreK or to undercoat first?
Speaker 6: What product?
Speaker 7: If it is color steel, then we have a product called pre coated steel Primer that you can put that on if you've done on your preparation and spot priming and checking for rust and all that sort of stuff. And then two coats of Summit roof, which is lochene roof paint. But you know, you can use it on color steel types situations. If it's just plain old beer old galvanized iron, then you'd have to go to Galveoux one. But again, preparation and treating rust and all that sort of stuff is the best thing to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Interesting, when we've talked a bit about preparation, I have to say the difference between you know, typically we would talk about preparation being I'm just going to hit it with a water blaster, right, so I want to paint the outside the house, I'm just going to hit it with a water blaster. One that can have unintended consequences in terms of ripping through the paint and rumbling the paint and all the rest of it. But also using a proper proprietary house wash makes a massive difference, doesn't it. That's worth investing in guaranteed when you want to do some paint prep is use a proprietary paint prep solution.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, you know we've got our house washing paint prep which you can use just to clean the house down. Yes, if you don't want to paint, you know, you can use it to clean your house down. And you know it just lists it again and make it just lifts all the gun jo off. You know, we've got a muss and mold killer that it will rip through a whole lot of moss and mold. We've got our timber and deck wash that you use for preparing your deck before you restain. And you know, we've got a number of cleaners that you know and do all sorts of things. You know, we've got even a heavy duty housewash and paint prep that cuts through grease and stuff like that. And they're all water boards.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's all good stuff.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 7: You mix them with water and follow the instructions and things will happen.
Speaker 5: Right, I must. My ears pricked up when you said heavy duty. That sounds like a bit of me, right quick. A couple of questions before we go dilimma to paint or stain deck boards and battons. What's the easiest for future on care going forward? So painting or staining? Yeah, for deck boards. I mean painting a deck means you're going to have to repaint it, and I would have thought the preparation is much more significant.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, if it's stained now, then we'll just nip back to the timber and deck wash that we were just talking about.
Speaker 6: Yep, you give that a.
Speaker 7: Good scrub down. It actually opened to timber fibers or removes all the gunge and all that sort of horrible stuff that's on the deck and renders it ready for restaining. But you can still use it if you wish to paint. But then you'd have to go to an oil based wood primer and something like our walk on paving paint if you wanted to paint it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Okay, Actually there's another one that's come through really good question. Actually, morning, can you paint old palaside plastic type weatherboards they're on a beach front area, so it's an older style PVC weatherboard. If you wanted to paint it, what would be the keying element?
Speaker 7: Stay away from a dark color for us, right, okay, yep, And you know dark colors, even cool colors will absorb you know, a lot of heat. If you paint them dark, then you can actually walk the color side cleanly. Sure, yep, but they'll need a really good clean down and to make sure that you know, with the housewash and paint prep to make sure that you know the surface is nice and clean. Yes, but with PBC you can generally just put them the croock coating straight over the top of it. Yeah, you don't need a prime or anything like that, you know, downpipes and things like that, you know, providing they're nice and clean, yes, it's they're okay to paint straight away, but make sure that you stay away from a dark color with that to the material.
Speaker 5: And this is a great one to end on, probably a dumb question, No, no such thing. How do you recycle paint and what does it end up? Where does it go?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, the easiest thing to do is is throw them in the back of the car. And drive down to one of our color shops. Yep, you know, the starf there will help you and sort through it and make sure that this. You know that all the cans are in good condition. There's nothing left inside them like an old roll asleep or a rag or a brush that somebody's lost. But yes, you know what happens if the paint is reusable, it gets seen away and the good paint all gets mixed up and turned into you know, anti graffiti sort of control stuff. You know, like a basic sort of browns and vases or what have you. But you know it's good for graffiti control for you know, community groups and stuff like that. The plastic buckets providing their raisine buckets gets ground up and recycled and turned into new rasine buckets. The metal four leader cans, one liter of cans and stuff. The metal actually gets recycled.
Speaker 5: Brilliant. It's quite a process, but it is, you know, it's it's not I'll be absolutely brunt. It's not greenwashing, right, So if you return your old paint to the Razine color shops, it does go to recycling of it. In fact, I've been out to one of the recycling plants. To see what they do in terms of separating different types of paint out what can be reused, what can be repurposed, and then recycling the tin. So you know, it's a it's a fantastic service. I have to say, MM.
Speaker 7: If you walk around their head office, they basically used old acrylic paint as an dative to cement. They've got these paved areas that have got paint in the cement. I'm not sure actually what it does, but that's what they've done with it. Also, we also we will take solvent as well and they get gent off to solvent reclamation and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Fantastic Again, thank you very much for getting out just that little bit extra early on this first day Daylight saving. Bryce McDermott from Razine Color Shops, thank you very much for your time and your expertise. Really appreciate it. You have a great day. Take care Bryce all the very bit.
Speaker 6: Bye bye.
Speaker 5: Then your news talk se'd B will continue to talk all things building right through to all about eight thirty. We're going to do a quick interview with Hamish Firth, a planner from Mount Hobson Group. If you caught up with comments, I was Actuan Wellington last weekend or last week listening to Heather as I was walking around the waterfront, Chris Bishop was on saying, Hey, we've got some ideas around revising and re looking at the Resource Management Act. What's that going to mean for building? We'll have a quick chat with Hamish Firth about that, but we'll take your calls right now on eight hundred eighty ten eighty All Things Building in Construction. If you've got a question about building construction, materials, contractors, timelines, that sort of thing. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number taking your calls. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty All Things Building and Construction this morning on the show, quick text before we talk to Jackie Pete. A neighbor has built a garden shed hard up against the concrete block wall of our house. Is that legal if we need to do some maintenance and paint We need to do some maintenance and painting, but the shed is in the way. What can we do? Well, the shed's in the wrong place, the neighbor's shed. They have absolutely no right to build, certainly not especially if they've attached something to your block wall. So you know, I'm sort of got this picture of maybe a ribben plate being bolted on and then rafters being pitched off there, so your wall becomes one of the four walls of the shed. But even if that wasn't the case, if the shed is hard up against your block wall, that's non compliant. So the rule of thumb for garden sheds, and please don't laugh because hardly anyone does this, but the rule of thumb is that it should be the height of the shed away from the boundary. So you know, even if it's a relatively compact one one point eight meters, it should be one point eight meters away from the boundary. So, you know, never an easy conversation, but it might just be a conversation with a neighbor to say, hey, I'm really sorry. Here are the guidelines and you'll find them online. You just can't put it that close. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighties the number to call Jackie. Good morning to you, good morning, thank you.
Speaker 9: For taking my call.
Speaker 5: Leasure.
Speaker 9: I said, I just said a question.
Speaker 6: Please.
Speaker 9: I've just done up a bathroom in a farmhouse and I changed the shower from being a curtain to a door. Yes, and doing so, the toilet had to be moved to allow the doors open without having a move. Now, the toilet is extremely close to the wall right where they've put it, like really closely when the page is never and a chat on it. You know, a man, you hit your shoulder.
Speaker 5: On the wall.
Speaker 9: Oh, okay, is there a minimum distance from a wall and can it? Can toilets be moved sideways a little bit, let's say about even one hundred mills would make a difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, To be fair, whenever I've been setting out bathrooms and sort of you know, designing them or thinking about how i want to orientate the space, I've typically aimed to have four hundred and fifty millimeters from the center of the toilet from the pan to the sidewall. So ideally you need a space of about nine hundred millimeters and then the toilet goes in the middle of that space, and that just gives you look, it's basically room to move your arms right, and you need to move your arms to do your business on the toilet. That's what I've always worked for. Whether or not there is a specific requirement in the building code in terms of functionality, i'd have to go away and have a look at that, but I've always worked on this four point fifty raw. It could be a little bit less, but anything less than that starts to feel really cramped.
Speaker 9: Well, this is three hundred three hundred, yes.
Speaker 5: From the edge of the bowl, let's say, to the wall, or from the center of the bowl, from the center of oh crikey.
Speaker 9: Yes, Because I went into some manuals where you know, house manuals or bathroom manuals, and I looked and I saw that most of them were four fifty and I'm yeah, so this is extremely close. I feel question.
Speaker 14: Shifted.
Speaker 9: So everything being done, lino's been done, and.
Speaker 5: The boards that you know, yeah, yeah, so you'd have to redo the lino because chances are there won't be enough movement there for the base of the pan to cover the penetration through the floor. So you may need to do the lino. And you know, I mean, you can patch liner, but ideally you don't want joins in ther lino, particularly not around a toilet. And then obviously, you know these days, most of the time the penetration the water feed for the system system comes through the wall and is kind of concealed by the system itself, in which case that will need the wall we need to be cut open, and that moved along and then patched.
Speaker 7: And so on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's a fath, isn't it to do it? Look, it can be done, and if you had the space, obviously long term, you'd want to do it. But I don't know that i'd be that terribly happy with the plumber who went ahead and did it. And it's one of those things where you know, as a tradesperson, you know, you might like you might have laid out the bathroom and then the trades person comes along and the plumber in this case and goes, actually, you know what, my experience would tell me that that's not going to work particularly well. A quick phone call to go, hey, Jackie, are you aware that the way that it's laid out at the moment, it's going to be really close. Do you want to come and have a look or should I move it over or something like that? You know, just whacking it in sound particularly professional to me.
Speaker 9: No, Well, I left the plumber to do all the install of the shower and the toilet and the vanity.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just and the set out of all of this was it from a plan or just the plumber working in that space making their own decisions.
Speaker 9: A plumber working in that space.
Speaker 14: Was purchased.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so if it's three hundred milimeters from one wall, what's the distance to the next sort of obstacle on the other side.
Speaker 9: Is it the shower the shower door, Yes, the shower door that opens, but ah, if you swing the door open, it's a tight little bathroom if you swing the door about one hundred and fifty mils or before you hitched the toilet, if you swung the door open.
Speaker 4: If that made sense right.
Speaker 5: In defense of the plumber. It may also be one of those things where until you've actually got the shower in place, you don't all always know exactly where the shower door is going to swing. The arc of the shower door because it might pivot on a hinge. It might be on a hinge, it might you know. That's that sort of thing. So working that out, and I wonder if they've taken a cautious approach and moved the toilet further away to make sure they don't have that embarrassing situation where you've put the toilet in, you've assembled the shower, you go to open the door and it hits the toilet, right, So I get it from a practical point of view, but three hundred millimeters from the center to the side, is that that's not going to be a happy place Japan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, it can be changed, but ideally you don't want to patch in your lineer either. But yes, it can be changed, yeah, I think so. Yeah, Otherwise it's just going to be one of those frustrating things every time you're in that space. All the very best. Take care, yeah, take care of Jackie Bob. Then I eight hundred eighty ten eighty will take your call straight after News Sport and we're the top of the are We're also going to have a bit of a conversation with Hamish Firth, who is, in his own words, a good old fashioned planner, and that he is indeed around some proposed changes to the Resource Management Act. And I'll ask him about skinks as well, but that question will become obvious as to why I might be asking that in the next hour. I'll do it tally up as well about unscientific, unreliable, kind of off the cuff pole about do you have contacts for trades people in your phone and it seems like most of us do. Which, to be fair, someone's pointed out it's a program about building. Of course people have got contacts for builders. If you're listening to a building show, that's a fair point. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can give us call now we'll get things sorted out and back after the news. Here Sad.
Speaker 15: Flag into the Dugs.
Speaker 11: In a nasty word.
Speaker 8: So shine good.
Speaker 5: Your news. Talk's that'd be people wolf camp with you, resident builder, right through till nine o'clock. Let's call it nine o'clock this morning. Rud will be joining us at about eight thirty. Just a couple of responses to the text I mentioned before the news. I'm not sure that people are quite getting the full picture. One text reply. So the issue was the person who text and has got a block boundary wall, and then a neighbor has put up a shed right up against that block wall. Now they need to do some painting and some maintenance. They can't do it because the shed blocks access to the wall. A couple of people of texts and goes. Isn't it amusing that when one person is a shed the block wall on the boundary and gets annoyed that their neighbor puts a shed also directly on the boundary because it stops them being able to paint their shed. Yeah, but the point is that I presume, let's assume that the block wall has a consent for being on the boundary, the shed would not. That's why the shed has to move. That's how I would have seen it. Yes, so that's how that works. Anyway, we'll discuss that a bit later on. During the course of the week. See last week I listened to an interview with Heather duplic Allen here at Newstalk SeeDB talking with Chris Bishop, who is the minister looking at changes to the Resource Management Act. And I'm guessing that for most of us who have ever done a building project, or essentially a building project, whether that's a renovation, alteration, new build, or a development, we've encountered the Resource Management Act and over the years there's been a tremendous amount of frustration with it in terms of its complexity, the scope of it, and potentially the cost that it adds to building projects. So that's up for a review at the moment. Chris Bishop has announced that there will be some significant changes to get a bit of an insight into this from someone who knows the Resource Management Act inside out. It is my great pleasure to welcome back to the show Hamish Firth from Mount Hobson Group. Good morning, Hamish.
Speaker 6: Peter, good morning.
Speaker 5: Can I just start with if someone hasn't encountered the Resource Management Act because they know they've never done it, Like, what's it there for? In a nutshell?
Speaker 6: The Resource Management is there to guide development potential and to protect the environment.
Speaker 5: Okay, that makes sense, There's nothing wrong with that. So how has it become the beer myth that it has become now? And I'm thinking about the chap he was in the paper last week who wants to develop a house site in the Waite Tuckeries and has to pay for some ecological survey because there might be a native skink in the area. It's going to cost him tens of thousands of dollars? Is he having to do that because of the Resource Management Act?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? And I think what happens. Getting a resource consent has become like a privilege. So you should feel honored to get one of these now if you own a section in the Wackies where there might be some native bush. Yep, you should have a right to build a house subject to fulfilling some What I would say is simple obligations. What I get the sense of happen is it's become and I'm part of this, a gravy training. So do you want me to do a report? Of course I'll do, and you're going to pay me. Of course we need that. And then it's gone from requiring to needing to be telling. What I would say is some of it costs more sometimes to get the piece of paper all longer than it takes to do the job itself.
Speaker 5: Right, And I mean, I guess in its intent it was there to protect and I agree, if we're going to use a resource, we need to manage it. So the Resource Management Act makes sense. But surely in its intent originally it would have been around you know, Sylvia Park wants to be developed, right, so we've got this massive impact on neighbors and transport and infrastructure. Surely that developer needs to go along and go I need a resource consent for that. But you know, if I'm I don't know, adding on to the back of my house and it not impacting the streetscape. In fact, I had one little while ago where a small alteration to the back of a house in a heritage area triggered a requirement for a resource consent and you couldn't even see the changes from the street, and you kind of go, so, why are they worried about that?
Speaker 6: Well, whether it's what you talk about the small French doors at the back of the house that there might have some inherited jelly where we're effectively replacing lightful like, or whether we're building Sylvia Park, Peter, it's all been done before, right, And the wonderful thing about Sylvia Park and the French doors at the back of the property is that if we took a more common fence approach, we'd say, oh, we've done Sylvia Park. It wasn't as bad as what we thought. Oh we've replaced French doors before. It wasn't as bad as what we thought. But what's actually happened is it's as if the French doors in Sylvia Park are the first time we've ever seen these things, don't you, And it is if the council has never seen one of these before. So what I get the sense as well is that there is a lacking of common sense, the lacking of good judgment, a lacking of the Latin term deminimus, of a trifle of minor, of something of minor. Most kin sents are either very localized or at best regionalized. I flew from the beautiful Fukatani yesterday and I saw a soul of and you know the first thing I thought, pete, which is quite bad. Maybe I need help, some therapy. Was I wonder how bloody long it took me to get their resource content. I then though over the Yi gold mine and on the ground, and I thought that would never ever, ever, ever happen today. So I think what you'll see with planning is planning is the open system, the gateway to development.
Speaker 7: To potential.
Speaker 6: And I think I see what this government is doing. They're saying, whether it's minding, whether it's doing hydro, whether it's building loado ways, or whether it's putting French calls on the back of the river. It shouldn't be this hard. And I stand before you and the listeners today and say, I want to be doing myself out of a job by these changes.
Speaker 5: So are you optimistic about you know, some of what you've heard about what Chris Bishop is suggesting will be changes with the RMA, because my understanding is when Labour had a crack at it, it went from let's say seven hund eighty pages to nine hundred. You aren't supposed to be going the other way.
Speaker 6: But I was probably on your show soon after those reforms came out and I said, how can you be making it cheaper, faster and more certain by adding complexity. What I will say with this one is I think that there are the adults now in the room. There is a better intent and there is a bit the outcome has been decided. You know, we want this to be more certain, we want this to have be less complicated. So they're going to introduce things like national standards. Right. I have one district plan for each region. So whether we're in the White Cusa, whether we're in the Far North, whether in Wellington region, there's only one plan now. That's very well and I'm spaking to up this before in Auckland, you know north Shore White Target is they all have different district plants. Now there's one they not like in the city, but there's now one plan over the whole area. It creates consistency, it creates we have a pattern of a planned pattern of development, and so I think that there are there's some very very good intentions. I suppose what I'll call my Smith test is this, if I get your simple consent Pepe to put some French doors to replace some windows, or I get a smaller Sorbia park, will the end result be cheaper, faster and more certain? And that is yes, We're on to a winner. Then those people are willing to need to get out into the regions and understand it grassroots level what the problem is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because again you know, from a I suppose an environmental point of view, I agree there needs to be controls around what we can do that. If someone is going to devastate an area of natural beauty or build on a ridgeline which then becomes a pimple on the ass of that that area forever, there needs to be some controls around there. But it just feels like it's just got bigger and bigger and bigger. Is that your sense of it as well?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And look I've been doing it for twenty seven years and I've never been more more frustrated with Is that your example of the French cause in the villa?
Speaker 7: Is you put to me of it all.
Speaker 6: You know, my advice to you would have been, I'm really sorry we can find this, but it's that the council is going to say I need to consent. The question is why do we need to be worrying about consents for them? And you take so I almost give the sense that the pimple the pimple. We're looking at pimple and making it a lot bigger than what it.
Speaker 8: Needs to be.
Speaker 6: And I wonder if Pete, legislation alone is the answer, and and I don't think it is. It's the mindset of those people who are the decision makers at the various councils, and they usually use the words I don't like the.
Speaker 4: Point.
Speaker 6: The point to you and I, Pete, is that you and I might not like to live in a thirty Screameter house or a forties Screameter house, but for many New Zealanders that's the reality. And so either you'll say to these people they can't have a house and it's too hard, or they should be able to have a house. So I'm a fair believe that we've got can make the simpler things easier. That legislation alone may not change this, but we actually need a development mindset reset that people live different ways for different.
Speaker 5: Reasons, Yeah, at different times in their lives. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And also sometimes one hundred parmeters out of Auckland on the side of the main highway, where actually need a service station. I'm dealing with one of these right now right in DPA. Say no, the council say no, the regional councils say no, but the community say well, actually we need to service Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So that's again a bit larger than things, but smaller than serve their part. But if you drive around the rural country of New Zealand, every so often you see a service station and I don't see lots of accidents, and I don't see lots of problems, and I don't see pollution of the environment. So nothing is new under the sun that we've done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that there is, you know, through experience, a set of protocols and procedures that will deal with some of those issues, whether that's you know, traffic, well, we reasonably know how to manage traffic, run off, sediment control. All of these things shouldn't be reinvented every time we've got a new project. There's a template for all this stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely right. So what part of the legislation is they want to introduce a series of national stands. What I hope is that the national standards are not so conservative.
Speaker 5: That we're no better roth than we right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: It's funny. We do a lot of billboards. Now most people in the audience will probably say skillboards. I'm not really sure about those. And then what we get continuously from the same traffic engineers are dangerous. I was recently in the state and I drove from San Diego to LA and I'm I've got videos and photos of footage. There are digital billboards every four hundred meters along the motorway. Now, if the most litigious country in the world can say that they're not a traffic hazard, a little old New Zealand, we reinvent me every time. So I sit through hours of here and I listened to tracking engineers that the world is going to end if this is built. Yeah, it then gets built and the will doesn't end. But then they oppose the next one, and I sometimes I come back to that point that they made. Though sometimes the rima has become a gravy train or people to peck whatever side will pay them to say whatever they want to hear.
Speaker 5: It's a great insight. I'm just curious now about the digital billboards. Were they static images but that might change, let's say, refresh every ten minutes, or were they dynamic images? They're moving, Definitely not dynamic.
Speaker 6: I think you we could all argue that dynamic images would create a safety issue. But if they phase out over the period of half a second and you don't see the phase out, yeah, they're effectively a static billboard because you may only see one, at most two images as you go past that site.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I mean that's nice given how many people are not going to say that, how many people are on their phone they carry Hey, let's finish on this. Thank god, Pete, someone with some uncommon sense. Cheers Hamish.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 5: That's for you, mate. Really appreciate your time and we'll stay in touch and especially once they get a little bit closer to actually having some legislation that we can have a look at. Really appreciate it. You take care all the best by then your news talks. He'd be that's Hamish Firth from Mount Hobson Group, who's a planner, been a planner for as he said, twenty seven years he's been working in that field. I've had the opportunity of working with him sort of in a semi professional capacity as well. So just clear thinking, practical thinking. I guess as well, and look, make no bones, I make no bones about it. I think that the environment needs to be protected. The resource that we have is there. So you know, if you buy a section and it's got a notable tree on it, then you can't expect to go to counsel and ask them to cut it down or to get permission to cut it down. That there's a right there's nature has a right to exist as well. But it's getting the balance right, isn't it. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eight. We got time for a couple more calls. If you've got a question or a response to that, I'll update you on our thoroughly unscientific off the cuff pole, and then I'll start thinking about a topic for next week's poll. I'm only joking, but I will. I'll update you on the pole in just a moment. But we've got time for one more call or two more calls before we jump into the garden with a redcline pasta from around eight point thirty this morning. Fantastic text from Olive, but I won't have time to address it today, so I'll bring that up next week. But it's a it's a fantastic text. We'll do that, but I want to grab these calls. Wendy, good morning.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Dade.
Speaker 5: Here are you very well? What's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Just wondering cost of fakenesses. We've got a late eighties built house. Whether we put stuff like insult fluff in it or double glaze, what would you?
Speaker 5: Okay, the date is really important, So I'm going to assume that because your house is late eighties and insulation became mandatory for New Zealand buildings in nineteen seventy eight, that in fact, while you might not have sufficient insulation let's say in the ceiling, you will have some in the exterior walls and you should have some in the ceiling. So would I be right? Hopefully well?
Speaker 15: Going on going on what information we've gleaned from the council, we have got plenty of insuallation in our ceiling because we've had that top up. I haven't opened any.
Speaker 7: Patches in the wall.
Speaker 15: But going on what information we got from the council. I don't think there's actually very much in the ceiling in the walls at all.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, which is disappointing, but let's assume it would be interesting. Like the easiest way to find out is you might want to get an electrician or someone more experience to do it. Is if you take a electrical fitting like a switch or a PowerPoint off and look outside, you might be able to see whether or not there should be insulation at butting the little flushbox that those items sit into, So that'll give you an indication. So I'm going to assume that if it's mid eighties, late eighties, it's got insulation in the walls, it'll have insulation and the ceiling because you can see it, and you could always top that up. In which case, your one week spot is your single glazing, so ceiling off that week spot by doing a retrofit double glazing will make a significant difference.
Speaker 15: And it's got a conservatory on it. Do you do the conservatory?
Speaker 5: Do you just do conservatory? Have a set of doors between the conservatory and the habitable part of the house.
Speaker 15: Yes, it has, Yeah, there's a sliding door.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't spend money on the conservatory, I would do retrofit double glazing onto the sliding door. And you know, because chances are most of the time you're going to use the conservatory in summer predominantly, or you'll use it when it's warm. So rather than spend the money double glazing that I just do the door, and then you're essentially what you're looking to do is reinforce the thermal envelope of the habitable space of the house. So do the double glazing, and that's kind of sealing off your last passage where heat escapes easily through the single glazing.
Speaker 15: And if we took a pairer point off and discovered that it wasn't insulted.
Speaker 5: Look, I really hope that that's not the case, and I'd be quite disappointed if it was. But saying that I've seen shonky work before, then you will still get some benefit from retrofitting the double glazing. But you know, heat that then used to escape through your single glazing will look to go somewhere else, and unfortunately, it will find a relatively easy path through your exterior walls if they have little or no insulation in them.
Speaker 15: Okay, then all good, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: For that already, thank you, take care for all the best then bye bye. Now this is interesting. Pete wall insulation became men in nineteen ninety one. I'm going to have a look at that, Steve. I'm not doubting it because I'm amazed at how slack we were in terms of figuring out that insulation was a good thing. But I've always worked off nineteen seventy eight for insulation. It might not have been great and sula. I mean, I remember doing houses where we had aluminium foil on the back of plasterboard. That was the insulation. Not great, not call at all. I'll do some research on that the thinking I mean. I you know, I was the apprentice back in nineteen eighty seven. One of my jobs was putting in insulation in the walls, not just in the settling. So from my own experience, I've done it ever since I started building in eighty seven. Roughly, Oha eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you would like to talk to Rid climb Past. He is raring to go. I'm going to tell him at this gorgeous, gorgeous garden that I went to in Ashburton yesterday as well. He's probably been there himself and then we're into it. So if you've got any questions for Rid, call us now oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty for more from.
Speaker 1: The Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to news Talks that'd b on Sunday Mornings from Sex, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio