Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks, Enby's Voice of Football, Jason Paine and Money Chanson. Hello there, and welcome into a special Tuesday edition of Football Fever. We held off by twenty four hours so we could take in the Wellington Phoenix against MacArthur last night to bring you a full suite of Auckland FC, the Wellington Phoenix Women and the Wellington Phoenix men. Three from three body were three wins to talk about.
Speaker 2: I know, Piney, I mean, I asked for nine points last week on the podcast and all three teams delivered, So super super happy about that, and I think it's what each each team needs at this point about halfway through the season.
Speaker 1: Look absolutely bang on. They all sort of came into their games in in varying states of form, but you're so right. Each of the wins was a real boost to each of the team. So let's do it as we did last week chronologically, starting with FC who on Saturday afternoon, late afternoon welcomed Melbourne City to go Media Stadium. At that time, Melbourne City were top of the table, hadn't conceded a goal in the calendar year of twenty twenty five. I think three games without conceding, and half an hour in it was nil all I thought to myself, this is going to be a real arm wrestle. And then bang, bang bang, Auckland f C scored three goals. I'm not exactly sure where to start here. Maybe we start with Guijiemo Myi's goal. What an absolute belter of a goal to open the scoring.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely unreal and I happen to be right behind the goal down by whether the food trucks are in their pop up beach that Auckland f C have and just that strike was incredible and couldn't believe it, and it kind of you know, goosebumps overcame me and Yazy ran to the corner and celebrated. It was unreal and it was kind of like just the turning point that Auckland f C needed that yes they can actually score goals despite the lack of them recently, that yeah, this is this is exactly the statement they needed.
Speaker 1: Indeed, you were like said, Melbourne City hadn't conceded in the calendar year, Auckland FC, he hadn't scored in the calendar year and goal is draw on New Year's Day against Melbourne victory then that one loss away at Perth last time out. So look, there was talk of a form slump, and I guess when you win your first six games and then you only win one of the next five, that chat is going to happen. But look, I someone said to me are Auckland FC back. I don't think they ever really went away, did they.
Speaker 3: I mean think they're.
Speaker 1: Always there or thereabouts in the top sort of two or three in the table. But then Nanda Pineker's goal and Max Marta just before halftime. Interesting actually in the in terms of the team that Steve Coriker selected for this one, the starting eleven. Be keen on your thoughts on this, with Max mart and Jesse Randall both coming into the starting side, Liam Gilly and dropping out. That was the first time he hadn't started all season. What did you make of Max and Gizumo my starting in the same eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really liked it.
Speaker 2: I thought, you know, they needed a change up top, and we couldn't quite put our finger on what that was, whether that was personnel or structure. Obviously he's gone for both with well, Corac has gone for both in terms of putting two two out and out forwards alongside each other, and I think personally they worked really well together and obviously both of them got on the on the score sheet, and Max Mutter in particular really needed it, I guess in terms of making a statement and showing that he you know, potentially belongs and the starting lineup. I'd like to see maybe Jesse Randall get a few more opportunities, but he'll grow into it, you know. You look at someone like Liam Gillian and other youngster who has taken the opportunities throughout the season. It is tough for someone like Gillian though, who has been so on form but just hasn't found the goal, you know, the score sheet yet. So it will be interesting to see what Steve Coracer does next week tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Indeed. Yeah, well, I'm like you, I'd like to see more of Jesse Randall just to see, you know, what he actually has in his longer I think a bit like Liam Gillian. The step up from national league to a league is significant.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Jesse Randal was tearing it up in the National League for Wellington Olympic, just like Liam Gillian was for Auckland City, you know, and it is a step up and interesting to see Liam Gillian drop out at the starting eleven. He did come come on off the bench in the second half. Let's go back to the goals though, Nanto Pinaker man, he has been a terrific acquisition, hasn't he, Nando Pinaker. I mean we always knew he was a good defender, but three goals as well.
Speaker 3: He must be loving it.
Speaker 2: It's exactly what you want from from a center back, you know, not just a great defender, but someone that's attacking minded and can take those opportunities. And he's scored, you know, goals for the side now in big moments, so you're really really pleased Fernando, and he's kind of making more and more of a case for himself for the national team. The All Whites as well, who have a bunch of center backs kind of eyeing up that spot for the twenty twenty six World Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah. On his side, I guess he's naturally left footed, you know, you compare it to guys like Finn Sermon, Tyler Binden, Michael box All they're all right side of center backs. Tommy Smith are left side at tene back who is obviously playing alongside now to Pineker at the moment with Dan Hall still had angine. I thought Kellen Elliott had a good game. No Hiroki Sakai with concussion. I thought Kellen Elliott every time he's been called upon has done a really good job. It must be hard being the understudy to the captain who's played seventy five games for Japan and been to three World Cups. But I thought Kellen Elliott had a good game too.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, really really well for him. Just stoked for him again. Every time he comes on, he does a job. You know, the team is clearly missing Hiroki when he's not there, and they have every week he's not been there. But Callan I think is a great understudy for him and does his job and he knows his role. He knows that, you know, Hiroki when his fit is going to start over him and that's okay, and just to take his opportunities when he can. But I think that was the promising thing on Saturday Piney that even though they didn't have Hiroke Auckland, NEFC was still able to attack and progress forward, particularly against a strong side, and that's something they haven't shown in the past.
Speaker 1: And we saw the first first appearance for Marley Francois as well. I thought he was going to score this first touch at the end there, what an opportunity. He just didn't.
Speaker 3: He just didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, just wasn't. I looked like he was a guy who lacked confidence. You know, he was running towards goal and maybe he hasn't played for a while, but he was slid in perfect opportunity. Imagine scoring with your first touch.
Speaker 3: I know, imagine that.
Speaker 2: And yeah it was so close as well, but maybe yeah, as you say, nerves kind of got the better of him. He was heading right into the port as well, so he would have certainly felt that pressure. But promising you know again that in his first opportunity the game.
Speaker 3: It's a good one.
Speaker 1: Did you see near the end as well? Liam Gillian who had come off the bench and Nada Moreno who had also come off the bench very late in the game. Gillian got the ball. It was kind of a two on one situation. Liam Gillian could have squared the ball to Moreno who was completely unmarked and would have had a tappen and elected to shoot himself. Patrick Beach and Golf for Melbourne said he made the save and Nada Moreno was absolutely filthy on Liam Gillian and still unhappy after the final whistle. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: I didn't see it, Piney, you mentioned it to me over the weekend. I didn't see it. But I kind of feel like that's a bit harsh of Nate Modano. You know, players kind of make decisions in the moment, and yes, Liam is probably looking back in hindsight thinking he should have passed it, But I don't think it's something to necessarily hold a grudge over. And I'm sure Moddno if he was in that position, he probably would have gone for the shot as well, if he was on the same goal drought as Lee Gillian was.
Speaker 1: I just think he just wants that first goal, doesn't he Because every game he doesn't get it, it just gets talked about more and more. I think Liam Gillian's made a really good fist of his first season as a as a fully fledged professional footballer. I wasn't really surprised to see him drop out of the starting eleven. I think Steve Kyriker perhaps just wants to take a little bit of pressure off and maybe he thinks, hey, come on and score a goal, which he almost did. I'm still yet to be convinced about Nada Moreno. If I'm honest, I'm a huge fan of Louis Vastrata. I think he's a terrific player. Gizmo Mai the same, Felipe Gagos, the same, Hiroki Saki. Obviously, I think of the imports, Nada Moreno is the one who still has a little bit of a question mark for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he's quite fit enough. I think he is better as coming off the bench, and yeah, he's quite like all over the place. I feel like he can't quite fit into a structure that that Coroca wants to go with.
Speaker 3: Ain't that where I felt?
Speaker 2: I was kind of quite harsh on on Logan Rogerson's performances to begin with this season, But I think he's proven he's quite a workhorse, and he kind of goes under the radar a little bit, but he actually does his job really well and he's set up a couple of nice goals this season, obviously also on the score sheet. So I wouldn't mind Rogerson, you know, earning that spot, that starting spot over over Madina.
Speaker 1: That was the first time the season Logan Rogerson's played ninety minutes he started the first six or seven games. He may have he may have played ninety minutes in one of the previous games, but usually either you know, comes off or comes off the bench. I think I'd like to see Max Marta and Gizumo Maie again tomorrow night against Adelaide. I think they played well. I think Marta, you know, as a physical presence, it does change the way they play because you know, previously Gizu my mine is very much the center forward with the likes of and we don't know about Jake Brimmer and whether he's available tomorrow night or not. There's Brummer and then you've got your wide guys like you know, I'm not a Gillian A. Rogerson, whoever it is. But with Mutter and my it's very much more a double pronged attack. And they say you shouldn't change your winning side. A three nail win be hard to drop Mutter.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, it would be. And I think Craca will stick with stick with the pair all going well, you know, if they're all healthy. But it will be interesting when Hiroki is back how that will change the dynamic of the wingers, because obviously Hiroki likes to bomb on and if you know, the two wingers are put whoever that may be, Randal and Rogerson are pushed out even wider because there are two fords. You know, it might leave not enough space for Hiroki to overlap. But again we're getting quite technical here. It will will make things interesting when they've got a full squad obviously as well. It was great to see Cam Howison get minutes for the first time in a while and he hopefully will be ready to start soon in the midfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Great to see him back, wasn't it. I don't think we've seen him just trying to work out the last game he played. I think it might have even been the derby, the second derby in early December. I don't think we've seen him since then. So yeah, great to see him back. Dan Hall still on target for a return, probably in the next maybe a month, might be a bit early, but maybe sometime at the back end of February and into early March, and there's still plenty of football to be played, you know, from March onwards, so hopefully Dan harsep But that's another thing too, Bonnie, is that when players have dropped out of this team, somebody else has just stepped up, and you know, Dan Hall was such a huge part of this team up to and including the win in the second derby and then obviously the ankle break which has seen him out. But you know, the sark I played a bit there. Tommy Smith has slotted into center back. Now, when you lose high quality players, it seems as though Auckland FC have the squad to cover well.
Speaker 2: They've made it work, but I think it did take a little bit of time, and that obviously went through their like kind of happened across their goal drought and their up and down kind of results their big loss as well. I think it took them a while to adjust when they lost their key players and Dan Hall, HEROKEI and you know Cam Howison. But I feel like they finally have clicked and worked out what works for them, who they can bring off the bench. You know, Tommy Smith was the best center back replacement, but it took Steve Kroker a while to give him a shot there. So yeah, really, Glad, I think it's quite crucial that they've they've finally got what works and found what works at this point in the season.
Speaker 1: I love how Tommy Smith is completely embraced being an Auckland FC player. I mean, here's a guy that's been around for twenty years playing professional football. He's like a teenager in his first professional season. At the end of games when they win, he's down there celebrating with the port, he's leading the chance, he's taken the selfie so much so that we needed him on the Sky broadcast because he's captain to do the postmatch. We had to wait for about five minutes to get him over there, which I totally rate. You know, I know that there are broadcast responsibilities, but the very fact that he's just like a he is, He's like a teenage kid out there. Tommy Smith. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is loving.
Speaker 2: And I was at the game with my thirteen year old cousin and I was reminding him that Tommy Smith was actually Chris Wood's best man and he was quite star struck by that. That. You know, Tommy Smith is you know, friends and played with the big guns around the world, but yet is showing up to Auckland each week and playing a great game. So yeah, pretty cool for him.
Speaker 1: The other anecdote I heard about Tommy Smith and Guziu MAMAI actually is after the game, you know, all the kids line up and slightly bigger kids for autographs and selfies, and both Tommy Smith and Guziu Mamai had media responsibilities afterwards, but both stayed out there well well after full time, signing and getting photos and even apologizing to the kids for keeping them waiting. You know, that just is the measure of those two guys, And I think a lot of the people, a lot of the players in that squad, just their qualities as human beings. I mean, you know, Tommy Smith's dad himself, He's got a couple of kids who walked out with him, Keegan and Molly walked out with him on the weekend. Gizimo Maier seems like he's just absolutely loving life at Auckland as as well. So yeah, I just think it said a lot about them that they you know that they have a lot of time for the fans. So that took them to the top of the league, but only for a couple of hours, because a couple of hours later, Adelaide United had a three two win over Melbourne. Victory went back to the top. Adelaide United twenty seven points, Auckland FC twenty six points, they clash tomorrow night in Adelaide. What as I understand that the game is going to be almost another sellout. It's a great place to watch football. Cooper Stadium, rectangular, enclosed inhospitable to away teams. This is going to be another huge test for Steve Corey, because mean I think.
Speaker 3: Oh so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be a huge test for them, and yeah, I'm really interested to see how they go. They've they've had a tough kind of up and down run and that they had been a little bit inconsistent, but on Saturday it kind of proved.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, they are the real deal.
Speaker 2: So really really interested that their tab current odds have Adelaide at one ninety five and Auckland f C at three fifty. I feel like it's a little bit more even than that. So yeah, we'll be really interested to see.
Speaker 3: How they go.
Speaker 1: Three fifty is long on Auckland f C. Yeah, I feel like that's worth a little punt. I know, you and I aren't allowed to bet on football, even the fact we work in the industry, but yeah, we're you know'fitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely is. And three seventy five for a drawer as well.
Speaker 1: Not bad there, That's not bad at all. So this is the first time these two teams have met this season, I think, I don't think. Yeah, Auckland haven't played Adelaide yet, so a good opportunity to see, you know, the two top teams at the moment play a bit of midweek a league football tomorrow night the ff Fee with Finy and Bonny. So that was Auckland FC. Let's go to Sunday when the Wellington Phoenix women were back at a place which has been very good to them and they've been very good too, Pottida Park where they won a fourth straight home game, this one against the Newcastle Jets. They were too nil down ended up winning it three to two. Can we start at the end where Mania rally it's just planted one and in the ninety eighth minute from a corner it's gone in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 2: I think they made the most of that Wellington wind I heard it was quite windy down there on the day and you know, not taking away anything from Mena's corner cack, but unreal for her and obviously super sub came on. That was her second goal of the day and yeah, certainly making a statement and another good win for the Phoenix.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who stood out for me in this game was Annale Longo. Again. I think she's just been so good for this team week I know, and I feel like it bears repeating, because you know, you look for the standout players and you know she Obviously, they go into the sheds at halftime to nil down and you need a response, and she comes down and she sets up the first goal early in the second half of Manaia by bursting down the left wing, putting a cross in and Mania Elliott stoops and heads at home. But it's her goal. I've watched this goal a couple of times just to make sure that my eyes aren't deceiving me. But her goal. She gets the ball midway between her own penalty area in halfway, looks up, starts the move and then just absolutely guns it into the penalty area. When the shot comes in that is powered by the Newcastle goalkeeper, she is the furthest advanced. She just absolutely guns it. I mean, you know she's not she's not a teenager anymore, but she's still extremely fit and she's there to tap in. I just think she's been so integral to this team this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she has been, and she's been leading by example plenty, which I've mentioned as well, just you know, on and off the ball, what she's doing with that team is clearly working, and she's kind of having you know, an unreal season. I think, one of her better seasons that she's had in years. And I do wonder, Parney, do you reckon she's going to get a Ferns call up?
Speaker 1: It has to, absolutely has to. I think she's one of the first names that Michael Main puts on his team sheet, don't you.
Speaker 2: Well I do, but it's kind of like it's the start of a new cycle. You know, Annalie's obviously one of the one of the older players in the group, and I'm kind of like, what more could.
Speaker 3: She do for the Ferns.
Speaker 2: You know, she's probably not going to be around for the next World Cup, is she. So it is a tricky one, but I think right now maybe she is what the football Ferns need to rally them when it's been a pretty you know, up and down roller coaster of the last months.
Speaker 1: I think you still need some glue and with you know, as you say, with players leaving the team, you know, with players who have been around for a long time no longer there, and you know the likes of Alie Riley and Rhea Perceval and others. I think you still need some glue. You still need some experienced players. And look, if you're picking on forom I, I just don't see how you can leave her out.
Speaker 3: No, exactly.
Speaker 1: It was an important one too for the Phoenix women in that you know, it keeps them sort of in and around the top six. I think it has them fifth, Yeah, has them fifth at the moment. I mentioned last week on the podcast, it was around about this time last season that the Phoenix started to wobble. They were up in the top four. In fact, they were third after they beat Newcastle. Actually, oddly enough, just before Christmas they were up to third place. But then after that they went loss loss loss loss, win loss loss loss, So seven losses in the next eight games, and that really put paid to their season. By the end of February and March, they were down in tenth place and they could never recover. Does it feel like they were a top six side to you.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask you the same.
Speaker 2: I think it does, and I think yes, hearing those results that you know, what happened this time last season is very, very scary, But I feel like they're a better team and in a better place, you know, not necessarily points wise, but they're in a better place as a collective and as a group and in terms of their death than what they were last year. So I'm far more confident that they can go on and secure that top six side. And I feel like, I think I've mentioned this before on the podcast there they're trying to make a statement before this new Auckland FC women's team comes in, So I hope they can. I hope they can make the playoffs for the first time.
Speaker 1: I hope they can too. Alyssa Winham captain the side and her fiftieth A League women's appearance for Wellington after Mackenzie Bowry, the second player to achieve that. I thought it was a really nice moment before the game when her dad, Craig came out wearing a replica jersey with Dad fifty on the back, a framed picture of Alyssa and a bunch of flowers. When he brought the bunch of flowers out, I thought, what's he gonna do? What's she going to do with those, she's she's got to play a game. So he gave her the flowers. They had a fight, and then he took the flowers back, so it was obviously your pre arranged. But yeah, I just think, you know, a little Winham. It's well documented she's been through some ups and downs. She has has suffered from a lack of confidence in the past, but I don't know. This season, I just think, you know, she she has got a bit more about her. Lovely to see her bring up the fifty, you know, I think she's got a big part to play in the second half of this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she definitely does. I think she's embracing her role in the team. She looks so much more confident on the ball and kind of moving into those attacking opportunities. I think, you know, she's scored quite a few, she's scored some goals this season, but I think she's you know, we're waiting for her to unlock a few more because she puts herself in great positions and she's she's come close so many times quite a few assists as well, So I would like to see, you know, that kind of aspect unlock her game. But other than that, I think, you know, it's so good to see her confidence improve. And again another one knocking on the door of the football ferns.
Speaker 1: Just before we move on to what's next for the Wellington Phoenix woman Devin Jackson, who's been who's obviously a key we at the Newcastle Jets, has been playing really really well, had to come off with what has transpired to be and horrendous injury. What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Devin had kind of a head knock with Olivia Kelly. I think it was of the Phoenix just they both went up for a ball and kind of an unfortunate knock and on the side of Devon's face and she kind of went down for ages before she eventually walked off herself. But she's turns out she's broken her cheekbone and eye socket in multiple places. I've never heard of that injury before, but it just looks absolutely terrible. I've seen a photo of it and one side of her face has completely swollen. She's still duck and Wellington, I believe, before she flies back to Newcastle. They kind of had to wait for the swelling to go down before it was safe for her to fly. But yeah, really really unfortunate for her. Not sure what it means in terms of the rest of the season, but I believe she will have an operation when she gets back to Ossie.
Speaker 1: That's terribly bad luck for Devin Jackson too, because she's been playing well. I reckon she would have been in and around that Football Ferns mix, you know, it just really really I mean, there's never a good time to shatty your cheekbone, but you know, with a couple of Ferns games coming up, she could well have been in Michael Main's sites for those games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I agree. I think she'd been playing really well for Newcastle and obviously had a good season with Canberra last year, but kind of kind of seems to be on a different level with Newcastle scoring and assisting a lot more goals this season and certainly knocking on the door of the Football Ferns as they kind of go into this new cycle.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really gutted for her.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, it's not a broken league, which might take a little bit longer to recover for a footballer, but yeah, we'll see how that kind of transpires.
Speaker 1: But no good, no good at all for Devin Jackson. All right. So for Wellington Phoenix are the women's side. Next up Sunday night they take on Actually it's a really interesting little three game streets for them. Here they've got the Central Coast Mariners who are currently sixth the Phoenix are fifth. That game is away on Sunday night, seven o'clock New Zealand time at the terrifically named woy Woy Oval in woy Woi, New South Wales. So after woy Woi they go. Then they are away again to the fourth placed Brisbane Raw and then at home on the eighth of February Saturday, the eighth against the second place Melbourne Victory. So three big, big games coming up for the Phoenix women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really tough one.
Speaker 2: But I think even if they can just get a point or to make the most of that home game against Melbourne Victory, but yeah, we'll be tough. And I think even if they they go down and you know, don't get any points from these next three games, just you know, ensure good performances so they don't kind of lose that momentum and positivity that they've they've had, you know so much so recently.
Speaker 1: Yep, So fourth win on the trot at home as I say, club record for the Wellington Phoenix Women. Good to see them come from behind, come from turn all down to one at three to two at the end, so a real confidence boost for them as they continue to push for a place in the top six. This is football, So two up to down. Two wins Auckland FC and the Wellington Phoenix Women which just left the Wellington Phoenix Men, who had a rare Monday night game last night at Campbelltown Stadium against MacArthur in the eve of the departure. Another injury blow for Wellington Phoenix with Matt Sheridan ruled out with concussion, joining a growing injury list. On top of that, of course, David Ball has left the club. Muhammed al Tay during the week left the club. He's turned up at the Western Sydney Wanderers chief chief. He said in his pregame media conference. If somebody can run, they'll probably start. That's where we're at. That's where we're at now. And we saw Luke Super get a starting debut last night. It wasn't necessarily a cobbled together side, but you know a lot of a lot of key players missing. But here we are the day after looking back on a Phoenix win two to one. What were your overall views on this?
Speaker 2: We're back, piety, we are back. So so stoked for them. I couldn't believe it watching the match last night, I was just kind of holding on, crossing my fingers, waiting for the waiting for the clock to tick down, as they had had that lead, what they held it for a good twenty minutes or so, twenty five minutes or so, and I was just hoping and praying they could close it out.
Speaker 3: And they did.
Speaker 2: And yes, a very very young, very inexperienced side, as you say, but they got the job done. And hope they're so proud of themselves because yeah, a massive, massive effort over there.
Speaker 1: Oh they'll be feeling so much better about life waking up this morning, you know, in you know, in Australia, jumping on a plane coming home to a beautiful Wellington day, I can report, you know, life will just seem a whole lot rosier with the three points they're now just they're up to it's ninth on the table, but only four points outside the top six, and they have a game in hand on the teams that are currently in fifth and sixth position. So when the game in hand, you're one point outside the top six and there's still half a season to go, so one result immediately makes things look a whole lot. Rosier. This off the back of course of a nilil draw last time out against Sydney FC, A free scoring Sydney FC side. They they needed that after you know, five losses in the previous six matches. Let's break this down last night. The first half MacArthur should have been really out of sight at halftime, if we're honest, they had so much more of the ball. Some of the Phoenix defending was was suboptimal. Andy Harper and commentary was absolutely giving it to Wellington Phoenix and the way they were defending. Jake Holman with a goal. But at halftime it was still only one nil, so the Phoenix were in in with a chance of something in the second half. All of a sudden, Kazuki Nagasawa scores a goal six minutes later, cost of Barbarusis has brought down scores from the penalty spot. We'll talk about his hundred goals in a moment, and the game's turned on its head. You know, at halftime it would never have predicted a Phoenix win.
Speaker 3: Oh no, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: And you know, alb Kelly healed and goal like outrageous, He's unreal and to you know, stop nine shots on target and they were pretty you know, pretty good saves as well keep the Phoenix in it. And I think that was you know, nothing against kind of the import josh olawa Emi, but I think that's what they were missing this season without Alex Paulson, you know, someone who could stand up in big moments and keep your side in it with individual plays. And I think, you know, by Albi who's so young and just being given a shot, making those key saves really obviously help help the team kind of rally and give them that momentum and confidence they needed and just that the three points. You know, the win yesterday was so much more than a win. They've been so down've been riddled with injuries, and you know, I think they they definitely needed it and they had their energy pinty, which we talked about how they don't look like they want to win, but last night, for some reason they did. They had kind of a new, yeah, kind of step in their game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I couldn't agree more. Definitely, after halftime. I think one of the big turning points of the game was bringing Finn row Conci on actually at halftime. You know, Luke Super, you know, tried hard, did what he could, but they bring Conchion and kind of swift shift formation. You know, they had Super and barbarusis almost as a front two in the first half. Conchi comes on and they kind of go to like a four to two three one without getting too technical about it, but I think Finn Roy Konchi just added some physicality and just a bit of steel in there and things started to change a little bit. Corbyn Piper was getting forward a lot more and they kind of targeted the right hand side, and you know, I just think the second half was a was a such a much better performance. Thirty shots MacArthur had to Wellington's nine. But it speaks of the efficiency when two of those shots from from Wellington go on the back of the net. The goal that Naga Sauer scored, what about the back I'll assist from a dickie you seek. It's just outrageous.
Speaker 3: That whole setup.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who it was the exact personnel, but I remember from kind of that halfway point when they first started that that play towards goal was just it was just outrageous and yeah that back heel, Piney. Surely it's in goal of the week or Assist of a week if that's even a thing. But yeah again and key little moments like that in games can just shift your mindset completely, like what Albie might do in goal, or like what happens up the other end, so you know, massive, massive play and then obviously Costs are going down in the box. I thought absolute penalty. You would agree, I'm sure Piney, yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, And it was a classy, very intelligent play by Costed to earn that penalty, I thought.
Speaker 1: And to score the penalty has one hundredth a league men's goal. It's what a milestone. I'm just so stoked the cost of that. He's forged the career that he has, you know, living in Wellington and I remember when Costa first sort of started to be talked about as he was so young, sixteen seventeen years old playing for Team Wellington in the National League. I might have mentioned this on the podcast before. I remember Mick Waite, who was coaching Team Wellington at the time, former All Whites coach said, this kid is going to be something, and he has. He's forged this terrific career in the A League and at times further afield as well, a renaissance at the end of his career. Look a couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure people weren't expecting this from Costa. In fact, I remember the season before last, people were calling for him to be to be released. You know that he wasn't doing what the team needed up front, he wasn't scoring the goals. But last season, obviously we know how effective he was. He's continued it on this season. One hundred goals. So he joins Jamie McLaren, Bess r. Barisha and Bruno fauna Roli. It's not bad company to be and you know, to be up there and he still feels to me like he's got a lot more gas in the tank.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And look at these two. You know, Costa barbarusis Annale Longo, the two seasoned veterans, Yes, representing New Zealand carrying these two Phoenix sides. Almost yes, stoked for Costo as you say, you said it all perfectly pinting, but yeah, absolute legend. And you know, I want to see him continuing in this form through to the World Cup next Yeah.
Speaker 1: Surely without doubt. I mean again, if you reward form, then Darren basically has to put Costa Barbarusis in his and his sides for the upcoming ofc Nations Cup, Semis and hopefully Final. He has to be in there. Only. The very only small, small downside was Costa Barrusas scoring his one hundredth goal at ten point thirty on a Monday night New Zealand time pure a league, isn't it? It will to be much better at sky Stadium, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have been much better, but yeah, you can imagine the yellow fever a would have been so.
Speaker 3: But there was a good, good content engines of them there in the crowd.
Speaker 1: I thought, yeah they were, No, there's always a little corner of yellow as they call themselves, supporting and yeah they were enjoying themselves, getting the shirts off and such like. Interested to know what you think they now do with Josh all Away, Emmy, you know he's an import. He takes up an import spot. He came on a one year deal and after just two matches they said no, we want to extend. So after the first couple of games, the drawer against Western United and the win against Perth Glory, they extended his contract until the end of next season. Now it feels to me as though Lbie Kelly Heeled is your number one. You can't have an import as a reserve goalkeeper, can you.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not gonna beat around the bush Pioneer. They've got to get rid of him. They've got other spaces they need for with that import spot. Alb Kelly Healed is clearly doing the job. And yes, you know, it'd be great to have someone more experience between the sticks, but look at what happened to Alex Paulson. You know, when the opportunity so, yeah, they need a center back or they need another forward, and I think that should be a priority for Chief if they you know, if they can or if the opportunity presents to kind of show olaway Amy the doors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know whether it will happen this season. You know, you still need to back up if elb Kelly Heild was to get injured, you need somebody to go. And the other keeper in the squad is Dublin Boone, who was you know, a real young woman. Kelly Heild's young, obviously, but I'm not sure whether you'd want to get by just with Kelly Healed and Dublin Boone. But I feel the same way as you. I think at the end of this season, if you're contemplating another season where one of your imports is not playing, then you have to do something about that. I feel for Josh Oloway Yemmy, he's a he's a He's a terrific guy. He's he's clearly embraced being part of this club. But he's just not able to do with his feet what Gian Calotaliano needs his goalkeeper to do. Elbi Kelly Healed is so much more assured with ball at feet and chief. He even made that point last night after the game. So yeah, there's some interesting conversations to be had there. I get the feeling that they'll find a way at the end of this season to part ways. And but for the remainder of this season, as long as Kelly LB Kelly Heil doesn't have a catastrophic drop and form or get injured, I think it's his goalkeeping spot, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah? It is? Why not? You know?
Speaker 2: Olawa Amy, Yes, he's not great with his feet, but he's also kind of had some key game changing errors, which is an ideal for a goalkeeper. But as you say, Piney, I don't think it should be an issue to kind of see him see him go and in that contract earlier, because no keeper wants to sit on the bench, do they?
Speaker 3: So, I mean no player does.
Speaker 2: Really, but yeah, it is hard for a keeper to kind of get off off the bench like other players. So yeah, shouldn't be an issue showing in the doors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, he came. He came to Wellington to get game time. You know, that was the stated aim and you know, for the first eleven games of the season that's exactly what happened. But you know, just like any other position on the field, you know, you're at the mercy of your own form. And I thought it was a gutsy move actually from Gihon Callotaliana to make the change. In the midweek game against Sydney FC, bringing lb Kelly held in kept a clean shed on Dave Berwin had an assured debut Man of the match last night with eight or nine saves at one point in the first half. He made three or four saves in about sixty seconds. I'm not sure what his defenders were doing in front of him, but these shots were raining in on his goal and LB Kelly held was standing firm. He seems like a confident kid, which you have to be a guest to be a footballer, and especially a goalkeeper at this level. So yeah, there's a little bit of thinking to do there, I think for the recruitment team at Wellington Phoenix next up the Mariners in christ Church, first time. The Phoenix have played an A League match in christ Church for nine years, so they're back down to the Garden City. Of course, Auckland is no longer an option to take away games too with Auckland FC and Trench there now, so marin is next and then Brisbane Raw at Sky Stadium on White Tonguey Day the sixth of February. I feel as though two very winnable games last night could be a turning point for the upswing and fortunes for this team.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 2: So, but what's the timeline Piney of you know, an Alex ruf of Tim Payne type precent.
Speaker 1: That's a very good question, Bonnie, A very good question. Look, Alex Rufus is an illness. So, I mean, that's so hard to judge. Tim Payne's got the foot injury again. You can only sort of, I guess, speculators to when when one or both might be back. This Marco roehas as well. We're told that his injury is a sort of a eight to ten week proposition. But yeah, getting a roof of back, getting Tim Payne back, getting at some stage Rowhars back, it would just make such a difference, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: It would and for them to come and now off the back of this world and bring a bit of leadership and kind of rally the group when there's these these young guns who have been holding the fort and doing a pretty good job I mean for the last two weeks anyway, So yeah, I would it would be good ideal timing for them to start making their way back into the team. But in the meantime, if it's not this week, yeah, we want to see much of the same. And I do like raw Conchi up there with Costa Barbarusis he kind of performed that nice role of a link between the midfield and Ford's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he might start in christ you John Saturday. He started the first three games of this season and then sort of almost disappeared without trace. I know he had an injury, but after the first derby in Wellington he wasn't seen. In fact, I don't know that he's played at all until No, he hasn't. That was the last time we saw him was on the second of November in the first derby. Here we are on the twentieth of January and we finally see him again. As as I said, and I reckon he might. I reckon they might start with kind of what they finished with last night, or certainly the way they started the second half with Conchi into that midfield. I get the feeling that might be what they do against the Mariners on Saturday. So looking forward to being in christ Church. I'm sure the Phoenix are too. For the first time in a long time, football fever. Just to finish news this week about Maya Hahn, can you give us the background to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Maya Hahn has switched allegiances back to New Zealand from Germany. She obviously could represent both of those countries, and she went to the Under seventeen World Cup. I want to say twenty eighteen. I think it was when New Zealand finished third and it was that massive, historic, great, great bronze medal Matchep. But yeah, so she then after that, I believe she moved over to play professional football in Germany. She made kind of the widest squad for the Germany N twenty women's team. I didn't get any game time, I don't believe, but has played professional football over there and then now obviously it feels like, you know, maybe it's not working out, or you know, Germany's such a great national football team, maybe has more of an opportunity to, you know, go to these pinnacle events with New Zealand. And she wouldn't be She wouldn't be a bad I was going to say signing, but she wouldn't be a bad player. You know, she's still quite young to bring in as the football firms start this new cycle.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think she's an indigne share. I mean, I think she's good enough player to certainly be in the conversation. She's at Potsdam in Germany, which is where Suya hering, the other Kiwi who has recently come on to where Radar is playing. So yeah, maharn, she was talked about a lot growing up. You're right, she was part of that team that got the bronze medal in twenty eighteen. She came through the Ola Football Academy, started playing then when she was eight years old. He has always been one of those who growing up people were saying, oh, you know, she's too good for to play with the girl, she needs to play with the boys. You know, she's at the very least worth a look in the national soide. I don't think she would have. I don't think she would have changed allegiance if she hadn't got the nod from someone at New Zealand Football that she was going to get a crack oh exactly.
Speaker 2: I think I think now is probably the perfect time for her to come in. I don't I haven't seen her play in a long time. I actually grew up playing with her for hut Valley High School when we got fourth at nationals back in the day. But yeah, she was a great player growing up. I'm not sure if she would have, you know, been in the mix for the recent kind of twenty twenty three World Cup, twenty four Olympics, but I think now is probably the perfect time to bring her in. She plays with a similar style like Macy Fraser, you know, very technical and a very tricky, smart player like that, So yeah, I would. I'd like to see her come in and see what she can do. Again, haven't seen much of her because she's obviously been over in Germany.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll wait and see when the Football Ferns are selected for their next matches, which are in February against Costa Rica. I think that's the next time they have matches together. From memory, they'll come together and maybe Maya Hahn might get the opportunity to be a part of that. All right, So that is football fever for today. Looking ahead Tomorrow night, Wednesday, it is Auckland FC away at Adelaide United. Get in front of your TV for that one. That is set to be an absolute cracker. It's a nine to thirty kickoff New Zealand time. Then on Saturday in christ Church the Wellington Phoenix Men up against the Central Coast Mariners. That's five o'clock. And then on Sunday evening it is the Wellington Phoenix women also against the Mariners over in Australia. That is a seven o'clock kickoff New Zealand time. So let's hope when we reconvene next week. Bonnie that it's another three victories we can chat about for the for the three for the Free three New Zealand based A league.
Speaker 3: Sides banging on team Let's Go
Speaker 1: Football Fever with Jason Fine and Bonnie Jensen