Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks Envy's Voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: There, welcome, and it's Football Fever and it's February and there's lots to talk about. I'm Jason Pine, Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 3: See hello, Bonnie, Shelda Parney.
Speaker 1: How are you very good? We've had our first national squad of the year, well, senior national squad of the year named today. Three senior players have been left out of the Football Ferns squad for their first matches of twenty twenty five. The squad named today by interim coach Michael Maine a couple of games away to Costa Rica at the end of the month. No CJ Bott, No Rebecca Stott, No Katie Bowen, forward Kelly Brown, goalkeeper Joe Candy and midfielder Maya Hahn have been caught up for the first time. Without any further ado, We're going to hear from Michael Maine. Bonner, you spoke to him a short time ago about some of his selections.
Speaker 2: C J Bott FIFA Best Finalists, Katie Bowen I doably the best Ferns player in the last eighteen months. And Rebecca's who led Melbourne City to a League premiership last season have all been omitted.
Speaker 3: What's the reason behind this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think with those three players as well as the other players that also have been selected, I think, as you can imagine, everybody wanted to be part of this new cycle. I think for me going into this tour, there's a winner of opportunity here for us to test some new ideas and for me to have a good look. I guess that's some new players when it's early in the piece. So yeah, I think it just comes back to kind of what we try and achieve towards twenty seven and that's really understanding where the strengths lie in the squad long term.
Speaker 2: And yeah, does this decision kind of contradict what you spoke to me about last week in terms of not wanting to change the guard?
Speaker 4: No, No, I think when you asked that question, it was more around is that my role I need to play? And that wasn't the case then and it's not the case now. I think I guess the conversation that I'm having with my coaching staff and when I'm looking at the squad and again where we are at the start of this new cycle I think, like I said, there's an opportunity to take some.
Speaker 5: New players, which I think is exciting for us and we get to test them at international level, but also gives me an opportunity to revisit some players and just really be clear going forward on the players we've got in.
Speaker 4: Our system, and that's all geared towards one thing, and it's just making sure that we understand come twenty seven, who are strong as teams at that point.
Speaker 2: So just to be clear, you spoke last week about wanting the best players in the squad, it's not necessarily a case for these three that they're not the best players. More you want to see different personnel in the group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great weab, but on well across where they're at and what they're doing in their clubs. They are players that have been around this team for many years, have got great deal of caps. For me this tour, it's a chance to test some new ideas under streaming with the strengths line the squad going forward and you know, start to build some competition in the team as well for the future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and g O Candy debut call up outstanding opportunity for her. She's only played one A League game though in the last two years. Are we short on keepers?
Speaker 4: Look again that the keeping spaces there was an opportunity. One of the injury concerns that unfortunately ruled were oute was with Anna and so again it's the same process I've had, is having a look at what we've seen before, what we're currently got in the in the group. And then for this one it was it was more of I've heard some really positive things about Geo after speaking to coaches, looking through some of the footage, it was, Yeah, this is an opportunity for her to come in and for Jeo to come and make sure that Yeah. I just felt like Jia has an opportunity here to come in and work with the team and for me to have a good look at it, like, yeah, where the levels at. And I think that that can only help Jero as well in the future. You know, I could think if if jer can come in and perform well, then that that may also help who I guess club position going forward.
Speaker 2: And you've obviously spent a lot of time with the Wellington Phoenix. Paul Temple said, You've you've been down there, which has been great, But players like a list of one in Lara Wall close to a.
Speaker 4: Call up, definitely. In the conversation Bonnie there there's there's a number of players that in that conversation, I think both of those that you've mentioned, I've been watched it closely, but more importantly having really good discussions with the co temps. And again there's other opportunities ahead that if they continue to keep progressing well, I believe that they'll get the opportunity at some point. But for this tour, again looking at the balance of the squad, what I need to see, what I was interested in seeing. I've obviously opted to go different directions and with different players for this one. But no, Alyssa, I'm well across the work she's doing. And like you said, I've been down to the Phoenix a handful of times in the past couple of months and what's your train and what's your play And yeah, I think Lara is a bit of a ball to in that team as well. For a first first year, I think she's doing really well.
Speaker 1: All right, that's the voice of Michael Maine, interim coach of the football firm, still interim. One thing I was say at the start is he doesn't talk like an interim coach. He's not talking like he's in a holding pattern. I like it. He's talking like he's a head coach and he's going to be in charge of this team, you know, through to the next World Cup. I do really like that. I'm still to be convince about the omission of C. J. Bot, Katie Bowen and Rebecca Stott.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, Piney. I think Michael Maine speaking with him a week ago, I was really excited about what he envisioned for this team. But to see this news today, I am a little bit shocked and the way he answered my questions. I know he's a coach and he's got to be careful about what he kind of can and can't say, but I would have He's obviously, you know, strong in his opinions and what he wants to do with this team, so I wish he kind of owned that decision a little bit more. He speaks about wanting to bring in the younger players and seeing new faces and things like that, but I would have liked him to kind of, you know, go stronger on on that thought.
Speaker 1: I also would like to have seen him keep three of his senior players in there. Yes, he's got a bit of seniority there because he's got Annalie Longo in there, one hundred and thirty six caps for her, others who have played quite often for New Zealand. But I I don't know. I might be this might be drawing a very long bow, and it might be way off But I just got the feeling when I saw that squad that CJ Bot, Katie Bowen and Rebecca Stott are strong voices in that playing group and I just don't know whether, Look again, this could be way off base, but I wonder whether Michael Maine just doesn't want those voices at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see that as well, and I get that. You know, it's not like it's a World Cup year, it's not an Olympic year. But at the same time, you know they have rightfully earned their spot in the football ferns and if there is a World Cup tomorrow, you would take those players because they are the best. It's not like it's club football or junior football where you can kind of you know, or age group football rather where you share around the minutes. It's you pick the best players every time you have a camp. You know, depending. Maybe if you're going to the OFC qualifiers, that's a different story. But you know, these players have earned the opportunity, and yes, Piney, you might be right. They might be his strong voices and I wouldn't be surprised if they are. But here's the time to bring them in. Set the record straight, you know, yicks out, this is the new way forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree with that. CJ Bot, Katy Bow and Riquastott would all be in our best eleven. You know, I think if you said, if you're naming a World Cup tomorrow, they'd be in the squad. I think if you're naming your first eleven, they're in the squad those three. So it seems curious to me they haven't been together since Paris. So you know, as you say, the chance at the start of a new year, the start of a new World Cup cycle, to say, right, this is how we mean to go on. He's named twenty three players, so it's not as though he can't bring in some new faces and has you look at the players who haven't played for New Zealand before, Kelly Brown, g O Candy Maniah Elliott Meyer, Hahn Emma Piningberger is there. Brianna Edwards has only played one game. There are others with only a handful of matches, Hannah Blake with six, Ruby Nathan with five, even Macy Fraser I think deserves to be their only six games for New Zealand. So yeah, like I say, I yeah. It was the thing that raised my eyebrows the most was the omission of those three players. We don't know beyond Costa Rica when the football Ferns will play next there they're keen, I'm sure to play in every window. So it'll be interesting to see how he integrates those three back into back into a squad. You know, apart from some of her best players. They're playing at the best level. Ce j Bots playing in the Super League, Katie Baren's playing in Serie. Are Rebecca Stott, as you say, is leading the you know she led Melbourne City last year to the Women's A League title, and is you know on track to to you know, to repeat the dose this year exactly.
Speaker 2: And later in that interview, I asked Michael Maine, you know, so results potentially don't matter as much for this tour because you know you're taking a young inexperience side, and he said, no, no, we want to win. And for him, who's kind of you know, this is this is his interview, his audition type camp. You know, they're going to hire a replacement probably you know, in the next few months. So he wants to win. And why wouldn't you take your best players who are likely.
Speaker 3: Going to do that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, you bring them in for the next tour or the tour after. And I'm furious if I'm CJ. Bott who's a fever best finalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing too. You're right, she was recently named as well one of the twenty best defenders in the world by that metric. And you can't make your own national team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, insane.
Speaker 2: And I get he wants to see new faces, but I just don't think now was the time, you know, when the group is clearly unsettled. They're going through this, you know, this whole new cycle and wave of seeing you know, saying goodbyey yitka, and there was a massive disconnect. You know, we've seen it all in the media. Now is not to time to build that rift even further.
Speaker 1: Costa Rica are forty third in the world incidentally, New Zealander thirty second, so not a lot of room between them. So I feel like it's not it's not a game where you can bananaskin yourself either or games she can bananaskin yourself. Anyway, I think we've labored the point, probably a little bit too much. We both think they should be there. They're not. Congratulations to those who have been chosen in terms of those who didn't earn inclusion, but we're at the Olympics last year. We've talked about c J Bot, Katie Bowen and Rebecca Stott. Ali Green is also not there, an elite who I think might be injured as well as being unattached. Otherwise I think she would be there. Gabby Rennie not there, Alie Riley is injured, Melia Steinmetz is injured, and those who have come back, and I mentioned some of the debutants. But you know, there's a corps of players who who you know, may well take us forward. You look at at the likes of Katie Kitchen, who's you know, looked really good in a football fer and shirt, Jackie Hand as well, Massy Fraser. I mentioned Mickey Foster. You know Millie Klegg, Kate Taylor in the page, Riley or playing professionally at a good level. You know, despite the omissions, I'm looking forward to seeing the games.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm really excited. And good times for once. Finally, I think it's at like one pm and eleven am in the day, so yeah, perfect timings for us for us to watch. And it's a good group that Michael Main's name, no doubt about it. No disrespecting any of those players called up, you know, but yeah it is.
Speaker 3: It is very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and good too that we can talk about competition for places in the football Ferns. I think goalkeeper is a bit of an issue. I you know, below the top keepers and the top keepers for the last little while have being vick Essen and Elite and Brianna Edwards. There's clearly no depth whatsoever. Geocandy, I'm sure as a promising keeper. But as you said to Michael, mate, she hasn't played, she hasn't played an a leaguet. She'll be one a league game and that was in March of twenty twenty three. So but then I think to myself, well who else can he have taken for his third keeper?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe Amy Danielli, but she's she's injured. I think she was off the Phoenix roster yesterday as well, so she would probably be the next in line. But probably the reason you know that we are lacking depth is, you know, the coaches before Michael Maine stuck with the likes of Aaron Naylor for so long. It's only been since yet could come has come in that she's kind of changed at and given vick Eson, who has actually been pretty good a lot more minutes and hopefully, you know, when an elite is back, she'll get that number one jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like to see Brie Edwards and Vackessen get a game each. Yeah. I know. Darren Baseley, for example, has gone with Max Crokham in the last few games, even in two match windows. He said, no, you're my number one, that's who it is. So you know, Michael mayin may decide that I would say vick Essen is this number one and give her both games. But I'd love to see Briedwarods given a go. Yeah. I think I think Geo Candy is certainly the third keeper here and we wait to see what happens with an elite. Just on an elite no club at the moment. I know you've talked about her being a target for Auckland f C. I would love to see her at Auckland f C. A is one of the foundation players.
Speaker 3: I think it would be such statement to have an elite in Alex Paulson.
Speaker 2: Obviously we don't know how long Alex Paulson's going to be at that club, but it would just be such Auckland FC to do something like that. Yet saying you know yet, we're signing arguably the two best young keepers New Zealand's ever seen.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I hope that's the case.
Speaker 1: Two Piney all Right games against Costal Recreation say, very friendly times for us to watch Sunday the twenty third of February at one in the afternoon and Wednesday, the twenty sixth of February at eleven am, both being played at the Estadio Alejandro Morerasto in cost I wonder if I passed my audition for commentary the FFFE with Finy and Bonny. Let's go to the A League Saturday afternoon sweltering. Man, was it hot on Saturday? Or do I just get really really hot?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got sunburn? I was sitting on the.
Speaker 2: I want to say, the North stand, and I got sunburned, like I was dripping with sweat, like I had to move like slide over from my boss who was sitting next to me, because I was like it was real swety. Hopefully that's not too much information. But then I got some burnt like after the game. So yeah, really hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah hot to watch, hot to play, in no doubt. But then having said that, you know they go to Australia, these teams and play in the likes of Newcastle and Adelaide and even Melbourne can get really really hot in those places too. It was a beautiful day to watch a game of football and another win for Auckland FC two one over MacArthur Nato Moreino, who you and I are on record a number of times are saying, no, he should be off the bench, his role as an impact player, come off the bench and score. Well, he started nine minutes and he scores a goal.
Speaker 3: I know, I felt bad.
Speaker 2: I said, you know, under my breath, they actually should take that back on the podcast on Monday, because yeah, he scores what first ten minutes, last ten minutes, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I'm still not sure. About him.
Speaker 2: But he can finish, and that's what you need in these games. You need someone to be clinical.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that about not being sure about him. I'm still a little bit the same. I'm not exactly on the fence about him. I think, you know, he's their leading goal scorer. It seems such a weird thing to say about their leading goal scorer. But after he scored, I don't remember him doing any couple lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know, no exactly, and I think someone like Jim or mart he was. I thought, you know, another great performance from him. Yes he's not on the score sheet, but he's creating a lot of opportunities. And I guess it depends what a coach is looking for. Do you want someone to have an average game but find the back of the net or the opposite. So, yeah, it is a tricky one. But if he keeps scoring goals, I'm not complaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely right. MacArthur, though, didn't drop their lip. They came back and had what I thought was a dead set penalty turned down. Actually was nateal Monina who came through the back of the MacArthur player. I've looked at that on Repline I've got no idea how var has not given that as a penalty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bit interesting. I thought it was a penalty as well, and they were very lucky, so I guess probably fair and enough that they scored shortly after.
Speaker 1: Yep vleisure Man with the header which Alex Paulson saved very well but only parried into the path of Jake Holman, who charged in and made it one one. And around about that same time, Nando Pineker went off injured. Now I don't know whether you've heard anything more about his ankle injury, have you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard it's just a rolled ankle, and by the second half i'd heard that he was okay and it probably wasn't as serious as it seemed two days since then it could be worse. I understand he was getting scans today, so no doubt we'll hear an update soon. But yeah, it was a shame he just kind of went over and I thought at that moment Steve Corricer, who had said to you Piney, I think earlier that day that he decided not to replace Dan Hall the center back and the January transfer window, so I.
Speaker 3: Think he would have been switting that decision.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully, hopefully Nando's okay, just a rolled ankle. They've got a good thing for him is they've got a bye this week, so he's gone extra week to try and get it right. But you're right, Bonnie, without without Nando Pineker and Dan Hall who you know, obviously with the starting center backs at the start of the season. I'm not saying Tommy Smith and a Rokie Sarky isn't a very serviceable central defensive pairing. But you wouldn't more wanted them to get in jib, would you.
Speaker 2: No, exactly, it wouldn't. I don't even know what they would do. Maybe someone like drop Louis Vistrata back you wouldn't want to lose, you know, Franny Francis Debrees, who's so attacking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would.
Speaker 2: It would cause a lot of headaches for for old Steve Okorrika.
Speaker 1: Well, let's wait with interest on Nando Pinaker's ankle. Just on Francis Devrees. What a weapon, what a player he's become for this team.
Speaker 2: Oh so good. I just like in the highlights, like the whole highlights package. You know, you had the three minute one and then at the ten minute one that the A League cut up and like every single highlight is him crossing the ball or just about every single highlight, and they're so good, and the fact that we can only score two goals, like he's putting them in the perfect perfect spot for these for these forwards, like yeah, it's just insane and good on him, Like he's grown so much into this team, and if he's not starting for the All.
Speaker 3: Whites, like that's, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Serious concern because I've watched the All Whites the last couple of tours obviously, and that's been my number one critique as the balls being fed into the box. So yeah, surely he's asuing for that. But it's over Libby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think I think that. But you've always got it. You always pick somebody else. Well, two things here, you're right, Libby is he's one of probably only two or three players in the team who just plays, you know, because he is who he is. Chris Wood another one. But then you think to his O, Okay, well, EMPLEI been playing Libby a bit further forward. He's been playing, so they've been playing like a three four three, so wingbacks, I guess you'd say, and Libby's been playing in a wingback role, so imagine that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but both on that side.
Speaker 1: But imagine Chris Wood must I don't know where I presume he he watches the A League. He must see Francis dev Reees putting these balls into the box and be licking his lips.
Speaker 2: Oh exactly, And that's what I mean. I think Chris Wood was really hard done by. And I want to say it was towards zend last year when they played Malaysia out at North Harbor Stadium, and I just remember watching that game, going these balls aren't aren't great, you know, maybe and I thought maybe it was the runs as well into the box.
Speaker 3: But when you.
Speaker 2: See how many goals Chris Wood's scoring in the Premier League right now, and you see how many exceptional balls Francis de Reese is putting into the box in the A League, Yep, they'll go hand in hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one plus one allegal two, that's for sure. Yeah. I Well, there's a and I think we have mentioned this before on the podcast. There's a bit of a long jam of potential backups to Libby. If you say, okay, Libby's the first choice left back. If you're playing a World Cup game. But the backups there are a few, the likes of Francis Devrees and Sam Sutton and Lucas Kelly Healed and James mcgowry and Dalton Wilkins. There's quite a few. But for me, Francis Devreees, I think would I think he'll be in the squad for the for the All Whites in the in these World Cup qualifiers in March. I just think he has to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he offers something else, and I've I've kind of seen Franny over the last couple of years play for Eastern Suburbs. He actually coached me on a couple of sessions. But he's got this great mindset where it is so so calm and he never gets angry at himself that I know of, and he's yeah, he's just so in control of his emotions. And I wonder if more players need to learn that skill because it's it's clearly working for him. I'd love to go and pick his brain at some point. But yeah, as you say, Piney, he's he's surely issueing for for the All Whites. He just offers something else, even even a dead ball, you know, a corner cack or a free kick.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, really really good left foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look he's he's for me. He's been one of the most impressive players in this team. What I also like the fact that he gave it a crack Overseas did and he spent some time up in the United States and then he was over in Europe for a while, you know, in Sweden or Denmark or Norway or something. Yeah, and it didn't quite work out for him, so he came back played for Eastern Suburbs, as you say, and has proved that the step from national league to a league is doable if you're a good enough player, and you know, you can add Liam Gilly into that, you can add Cam Howison to that. So I think it's looking great for the women's team when they get together, you know, for next season, because a number of them are going to be drawn from the national league that you know, the best ones can make the step up, and I think Francis Devrez is a great example of that. He put the cross in for Louis via Strata to score his first goal for Auckland FC. It was the winner late again, although by comparison to some of the other goals it was actually quite early in the eightieth minute. The only only I guess blot on this was that Louis Strata picked up a yellow card late in the game and that's five now, so he'll miss the next game. Thankfully it's not the derby, and you know, many ways, Steve Coriker probably is as secretly a little bit pleased that lous Estrada is not going to play against Western United when when they travel over there in a couple of weeks he'll be nice and fresh and available for the derby. But you take him out of the team and it is a big loss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a big loss.
Speaker 2: But you know, with cam House and you know, on his road to recovery getting more minutes over the weekend, they do have options now in the midfield.
Speaker 3: That's you know, I mean that's that's.
Speaker 2: Including Nando Pinekes who plays also down down the middle of the park. So yeah, you definitely, I'd still worry about the depth in the squad. I think just because their starting team is so good, you know, and they're not there, you do.
Speaker 3: Worry a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I want to give a special shout out as well to call and Elliott. I thought he's come on and done his job so well. Again, I think he got player of the match. You know, it's such a tough ask to come on and replace the skipper or he didn't replace him, but you know, moved into his position and he does his job. No, he's not Hiroki Sakai. He knows that as well. But he offers a lot to this team and I think he should be really proud with the mentality that he brings when he comes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I could not agree more. And it might be that Steve Kreker says, right, Nando, I don't want you to be risked against Western United. I mean we're starting to talk about two or three players not going to Western United, who let's not forget beat Auckland FC four nil before Christmas and what is looking more and more like an outlier, but the fact remains. But like if he does have to line up with Callen Elliott, Hiroki Sakai, Tommy Smith and Francis Devrees, it's a pretty serviceable sort of a back four. And in front of them. I saw Cam Howison after the game actually and he's and he said, I see I'm now taking over the role of closer. Because of course he came on laving the game. I said, mate, you're going to probably have to start next week, so I wouldn't get too used to closing things out. But yeah, if Cam Howison's sitting in front of of a back four like that, I think it's pretty serviceable. You do worry though about what happens if there is another injury, and you know, I guess that's when we find out a bit about the depth of Auckland FC. But for the meantime, they remain five points clear of Adelaide who have a game in hand, so if they win that then it's just the two points Auckland FC have the buy, then Western United away and then Derby number three on the twenty second of February sept for another salout. I'm hearing only a few hundred tickets remain in various places around go Media Stadium, so that will be one to definitely put a ring.
Speaker 3: Around Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 1: Wellington Phoenix men had a buy over the weekend. We'll get to their upcoming game in a moment. The women's side, though, went to Perry Park and Brisbane last night and went down one nill to Brisbane. That's back to back one NILL losses for the Phoenix women away after they went down by the same score to the Central Coast marin Is a week ago. I thought the Phoenix deserved something out of this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but we said that last week as well, Piney, And I'm starting to feel like they've got to be converting all these opportunities they're having in front of goal, don't you think?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: One, they had twenty two shots. Twenty two shots to wait, so yeah, no, you're right, and you're so right. I can say all I like, II, they deserve to get something, They deserve to get something, but the table doesn't. The table doesn't demonstrate that, does it. You've got to actually get something to get something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with twenty two shots, you know, converting some of those, you know, even one of those is what sets teams apart looking towards the playoffs. And you know, I think the Phoenix with a better team you sitay against Brisbane, but obviously they're they're more in line now for a playoff spot because they can convert in these big moments. It's like Auckland f C continue to do. Yeah, I think I don't know if we can keep kind of making excuses that you know that they were hard done to it and not saying you are party, but because I've been making that, you know, I still think they're a really, really good side, but they've got to find a way to be more clinical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, this is the true six pointer because Brisbane, by winning this game go to twenty four points. That's five points clear of the Phoenix. If the Phoenix are one that they would have jumped over Brisbane. So yeah, it's it's no, it's a very very well made point that you know, you can dominate, you can have all the chances, but if they don't go in the back of the net, then you're simply not going to pick up the points. Paul Temple was adamant that the Brisbane goal was a foul on his goalkeeper, Carolina Vlao. What did you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think it probably was a foul. And every time we talk about these kind of contentious points in a match, it riles me up even more that there's no var and I don't know how much, you know, how many more times crucial points like this have to happen in the game for there to be a change. I know, you know that the woman's game doesn't make as much money as the men's. I know all that crap, but I yeah, it's just you know, it lets these these players down that are actually, you know, putting in all this effort like the men are to play actually part time football or be kind of committing full time, but they're paid a part time salary just to not have some sort of help from from a var But in terms of that one incident, yes, I think it was a foul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure. I've had a look at it and it's not absolutely blatant. I think Carolynavilau is on the shorter side of goalkeepers, but she's still quite physically imposing in and around a penalty area, a great shot stopper. But I just think one thing that she's not is particularly tall. That's not her fault, you know, and often you hear, you know that that goalkeepers get a lot of protection. All you know, an attack has to do is touch them and they go to ground and they get a foul. So yeah, I'm not sure it's app absolutely blatant. I think Paul Temple's got a point, But I also wonder whether if it had been ruled out, whether you know whether Brisbane coach Alex Smith would have said, well, hey, that's definitely not a foul. He probably would have fact remains, it's a goal and Brisbane get the points. Amelia Abbott we finally saw her day bul off the bench. I thought she was quite solid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she looked good. I think she came on in that right right full back position. It looked like but I remember her playing more midfield back at kind of age group level, but maybe that was a way to ease her into it, or maybe that's where she's been playing over in the States in college football. So yeah, really excited by her and to see how she kind of goes in these last, you know, second half of the season. Another one that I would just based on what I've seen from her in the last few years that you know, as I'm probably a football fin spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she has played once, hasn't she She had she's got a solitary cap. I think it wasn't back in twenty twenty one against Canada or something similar. Anyway, she Yeah, you're right, she's clearly if she's playing professional football, then she's putting herself in the frame. So the Phoenix are eighth, only three points though outside the top six, and there are still nine games to go. And I say this every week, but it's similar to last year. They now have exactly the same number of points as they had at the same stage last year after fourteen games. Last year they had nineteen points after fourteen games. This year they've got nineteen points and it is now up to Wellington Phoenix to find a way of avoiding what happened last season. And happily for them, they've got a number of home games and they start with Melbourne Victory, which is a tough game this coming weekend. Then they're away at Perth and then four of their five games in March are at home. So I think their season rises and falls on what happens in March.
Speaker 2: I think if they can get a point against Melbourne Victory at home next weekend, that'll be huge. Melbourne Victory stole stole a couple of points from Melbourne City. They're obviously second on the table. They're a really good side, but the Phoenix are great at home. So if they can take a point this weekend, I'd be pleased with that, and then they go away to Perth who are near the bottom of the table. They should win that, So four points out of the next two games, and then when they get to March, let's go, let's bring on the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, I think they feel like a playoff team. They do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's I feel bad for kind of roasting them before saying they need to be more clinical, because that is the only positive to take out of it, as they are competing with these teams, which even though they were on the same amount of points last season, I don't think they were as competitive as they are now. So that is the only kind of confidence I'm taking from from these losses is that if they do make the playoffs, they could you know, they could get up there and have a really good, good crack at it.
Speaker 1: I think you're right to critique them because that's what top six teams are. They're clinical, they're ruthless. They score their goals. They don't have twenty two shots and not get any. They have twenty two shots and score a couple.
Speaker 3: That's why even if it's even if it's in the ninety seventh minute.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter. They all count for one Bonnie. They all count for one. So yeah, next up against Melbourn Victory on Saturday. That's at pottydo A Park, the next game for the Wellington Phoenix women. Just a quick word on the Wellington Phoenix men who had to buy this weekend. But this coming Thursday, why Tongi Day, they welcome Brisbane to sky Stadium. This to me has has must win game written all over it. Brisbane have been really, really poor this season, just one win from fourteen games, two draws and eleven losses. I mean those are New Zealand Nights numbers from the deep dark past. The Phoenix haven't been great either with five wins, three draws and six defeats and worrying the only fifteen goals. Bruceb have scored more than them with sixteen. But for me, this has to be where where Wellington Phoenix not necessarily turn a corner, but because they've they've got points in their last three games. But they have to win this game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: They really do have to, especially after you know, coming off off the back of a bye, they've rested. It's a midweek game, probably will be uncomfortable for Brisbane coming here. I don't know what else more to say, other than they need the points, you know, and and it'll give them a good a good boost on the ladder as well. You know, I think it'll take them up to eighth. So yeah, just keep them, keep them close and not too far out of reach from from that top six playoff spots. And I still think they've got something in them to prove, you know, especially with Alex Ruther and Tim Payne hopefully coming back soon.
Speaker 3: You don't have any updates on that point.
Speaker 2: I don't, Yeah, I just I think hopefully they come back at the right time when the team really need them and gives them the boosts before, you know, towards the playoffs. I'm not convince their top six side, but I think they could still do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they can too. There's certainly enough points available to them as things stand. As you say, they're on eighteen points from fourteen games. It's a bit hard to judge. In the men's competition and the women's everybody's played fourteen games, so it's very easy to get a snapshot of where everybody is. But across the A League men, some teams have played fourteen, including the Phoenix, some have played fifteen, and there are three or four teams who have played sixteen games already, so there's games in hand all over the place. What we do know is that the Phoenix are on eighteen points. They are six points outside the top six, but they do have two games in hand over the team, the teams in fact Sydney FC and MacArthur who currently are in fifth and sixth place. So the mass would tell you'll win your two games in hand and you're right in there. It's a tough little run though. Beyond Brisbane for the Phoenix men, they are away at Melbourne victory at Amy Park, a place they had ever win, then the derby, Then they welcome Melbourne City, who are always a tough proposition. Then they're away at Western United and away at Sydney FC. I mean, there are no easy games in the A League, but that's a tough little run.
Speaker 3: Is it too soon to talk about the derby? Because I want the Phoenix to win that.
Speaker 1: Just for the narrative, I think it is too early to talk about it.
Speaker 3: You're talking about it next week, Well, you're.
Speaker 1: Talk about it next week or maybe even the week after that. I don't want to tell you for that one start talking about it three weeks out. But yeah, but then having said that, there is so much excitement around about it, and if it's anything like the other two then it's going to be going to be quite the contest and quite the occasion. So Phoenix Men Brisbane, five o'clock Thursday at Sky Stadium, Football Fever News Talk SIB I'm going to finish with Kiwis Overseas. Hard to find any more words for Chris Wood. What an incredible, incredible time he is having seventeen goals in the Premier League now this season, eighty six all up. That's inside the top fifty all time Premier League goalscorer since the Premier League started in nineteen ninety two. Forrest to third. They're having a dream run. A hat trick for Chris Wood over the weekend against Brighton. I'm not quite sure what else there is to say.
Speaker 2: I know, I feel like he's putting every game this. Every week this Premier League goes by and he scores another goal, He's putting his hand up even higher to be you know, the Hallberg.
Speaker 3: Supreme winner at the Sports Awards.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's this month, you know, I was sure Lydia Coe was a shoeing for that, but now I'm not sure because Chris Wood just yeah on fire.
Speaker 1: Well unhappily for him that what he's doing at the moment doesn't come inside the criteria, does it. So maybe, but then we need to bank this for next season. We need to thank this and say right next year he might be assurant forget Yeah, other players playing over So he's been all back in training. That's good news. He hasn't played for a while with the injury he picked up before Christmas. James mcgowry's gone out to a Greek club on loan from Aberdeen. George Stranger, who's a guy who played a little bit for the All Whites a little while ago. But it's kind of flying under the radar a little bit. He plays in Scotland for Air United, now the top of the Scottish Championship. He got a goal the other day. Has been linked with a move to Gillingham in the UK. There are rumors around Libby Kakachi and a possible move to Turkey for him. Tyler Binden continues to get talked about in a move from Reading to another club in England. Maybe someone up in the championship Blackburn Rovers gets thrown around a lot and Luke's superic. This one came out of the blue. Luke super out of the Wellington Phoenix linked with Stoke City during the week. I've got no idea where where this came from or whether there's any evidence to back it up, but Luke's superic. Apparently he's on the radar of Stoke City. Now A little was a Kiwi reunion? Was it this morning over in the UK?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was Piney A bit of a Kiwi derby unfolding there in that Woman's Championship in England. That's the Seeking Tier competition. Mickey Foster and Hannah Blake both play for Durham, and Jackie Hand and Olivia Page, who is an age group football fern, both played for Sheffield. They drew one all this morning, Mickey Foster on the score sheet and Jackie Hand on the score sheet.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. I think Mickey's was from a direct from a corner ray.
Speaker 3: I think so yeah, I think so yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been following those teams and it's quite cool and wouldn't Obviously three of those four names have been caught up to the football firms, but wouldn't be surprised if if Olivia Page is also knocking on the door. Also, Millie Kleig has been placed on on loan from Racing Louisville. She only got one cap I believe for that NWS NWSL side last season. She's been put on loan to Halifax Tights, which is a new Canadian team and the new Canadian Professional Women's Soccer League. And then Ali Green has moved to Calgary.
Speaker 1: I think that's Mikayla Moore's club, isn't it. Mikayla Moore is a Calgary the Calgary Wild that's another one in that Canadian league. So yeah, so Ellie Green linking up with MICHAELA. Moore so a key we influenced there. There you go, Okay, I think that's us, Bonnie. I think we've we've covered just about everything we needed to today, so yeah, we put it in the box. We look forward to the weekend ahead with the Wellington Phoenix men playing on Thursday, the Wellington Phoenix women playing on Saturday. Auckland FC with the bye, but I guess unless there's an urgent need for us to get back together, we'll reconvene again next Monday.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, Puny looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: This is football fever.