Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: That'd be.
Speaker 3: Greetings, welcome, Hit'll twelve. It's from a job, a couple of things. Will keep an eye on the chimney and the Vatican. And if anyone's got a website that they can go to to watch the chimney, will do that. Because the smoke goes a different color. There's a new pope. Will any pope will be the new pope. There's either no pope or a new pope. So yes, that's right. We're definitely getting a new pope. It's just iff and when we eye them, they it's not my faith. But still I'm kind of curious. So the pope, all about the Pope. That will happen. It might happen. It'll be the morning there anyway, that's happening the Pope. A couple other things I want to touch base with tonight on the show. I've always got that I should write things down. I want to talk what's with what's with mini bikes? Now? I know that there are people on trail bikes terrorizing neighborhoods, but what's with minibikes? I saw some story about christ judges. Has that become a have mini bikes become a new thing? I know from time to time they become something that people ride. What is the point of those? Are they fun to ride because you low to the ground? Is that what it's about?
Speaker 4: Pretty?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna explain that to me. I meant to what I've meant been many to us is for years and months and weeks. What's with manibike? Is that what they've got? They got mini bikes? I saw an article and christ Judents appeal have been terrorized by them? Are the mini bikes? But what's with them? There's about the supermarket kind of riving around on one, and I thought, what's that about mini bikes? Anyway? Might have got that one wrong because I see scooters they're also, but I think the mini bikes are back. But yeah, I kind of never quite worked out the attraction. You might have something to say about that. But the other more important question, and I want to fight you for this. Here's a question for you people, and think about this for twenty seconds before you ring. Don't ring straight away because I don't know the answer, but I'm asking you the answer. And I haven't got strong thoughts about this. But the question is what do you think would be the most dangerous household appliance? And the reasoning? I can't think what it would be. Is it the iron? Is it the vacuum cleaner? What do you think the most dangerous household appliance would be? And your reason? Why was I thinking of that today?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about that something that's dangerous. Spend a lot of day up a ladder. Actually I don't love a ladder. I spend a lot of time up a ladder with my laces undone, the whole time feeling or thinking, Gee, I tell you what if I come undone because my laces are undone and that causes me to all off my ladder, I'll be beating myself up out not doing those laces. You think I didn't have my laces? No, so comfortable without them. But what would be the most dangerous appliance within the house? And why do you think that would be? Yeah, I'm not I'm not sponsored by ACC. I'm just curious how you're injuring yourself around the home. I mean, there's the ovent try and burning yourself. Is that there is the eye, And I presume most of the injuries are burns, But what would be them? And I've said it again, I say that you can call now the most dangerous household appliance? What do you reckon it is? I'd be very very curious, and your reason, I'm not quite sure what your reason's going to be, but I'm damn curious about that because I reckon the results can be quite surprising. And yeah, the most dangerous of all the household appliances? Would it be the clothes dryer or the microwave oven? What's the one item that you've injured yourself on most within the house the appliance? Probably the electric breadknife?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Very curious about this? And yeah, get in touch of you've got some sort of an answer for that. I've gotten. I'm not in favor of anything. I just want the debate. By the way, so are those questions you a dinner parties? Some said, well, actually, so cute, because I'm trying to think what people injure themselves on. By the way, your wife's not a kitchen appliance. I'll tell you what some of those those things that you put stuff in and put into the oven a quite a strong way. Doren't they anyway. Edman's Marcus, Greetings and welcome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Marcus, the most dangerous appliance I reckon is the toaster, because not only can you electrocute yourself with it by sticking your hand in there, you can also burn yourself at the same time.
Speaker 3: Does anyone have you actually stuck your knife in it?
Speaker 7: As an electrician?
Speaker 6: No, I wouldn't recommend you do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, but does it actually give you a shock?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's an.
Speaker 6: Element in there which has two thirty volts traveling through it.
Speaker 3: Well, I always had faith that the circuit board would short circuit it. You wouldn't get electrocuted. Okay, but you're but I'm wrong, am I?
Speaker 7: Unfortunately?
Speaker 6: Yeah, now you'll get an electric shock.
Speaker 3: Don't do it, Okay, I won't and I won't bathe with either. Thank you. Adam Ricketts, Marcus, welcome, Hey mate, how are you good? Good? Good?
Speaker 2: Good? Now.
Speaker 9: I've got to say I've had a couple of mates and people I know, But the in syncarator, the weight.
Speaker 3: Master really really yep.
Speaker 9: So if you think about you know where the where the plugs are and where the where the fingers go and the thing. So yep, that's that's my call on it. I've been thinking it. I've never heard of anyone actually hurting themselves on a toaster or microwave. What happens as well?
Speaker 3: What have they done with the insyncorator?
Speaker 9: Just push some food down there while it was still spinning. One guy recently and another one a long time ago had a knife down there and it flung out and hit them cut them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, did the other guy do his fingers?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 9: Fingers came to work in a big slung slung up hands, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because I had a house with one of those things once, and I was compelled by it. I was putting all sorts of things down, and I was putting them down in quite a heavilyer way. I was poking it down with knives, and I was honestly, we had to move away away from there, because, yeah, I can imagine a knife swinging out of there.
Speaker 9: Also, Yep, yep, that's yep. And they say, I don't know. They say putting eggshells down there is good because it keeps them sharp or something or other, But a coffee grinds is a big no no. And there's nothing worse than cleaning out coffee grinds from a bloomen French press or something like that is nothing worse than cleaning them out into the dim brilliant not off.
Speaker 3: Look, here we go, guys, eight forteen and someone's mentioned the French press. Love it when someone mentions the French press brilliant? One of those things that sounds quite different from what it is. Flipp and love the French press. I reckon that would actually?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 3: Rick? Was that Rick I was talking to?
Speaker 2: Yep? Rick?
Speaker 3: Would the French press be one of the most dangerous items in the home?
Speaker 9: No, no, no, I'm just saying that.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: Have you put yourself on a French press that's like a coffee plunger we call them, right, Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, because sometimes some of those ones are designed with a jet of hot water that goes up your arm?
Speaker 9: Oh yep, nice?
Speaker 10: Nice?
Speaker 3: Have you ever done that? No?
Speaker 9: No, I'm not a big coffee drinker, so that's why it's even fact. I don't drink coffee. So it's even worse cleaning out a coffee machine or something like that because I don't even bloody drink the stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, okay, you know, I don't even know what a French press is, but I think we used to call them a bowdom or a coffee plunger. I worked in a cafe once when they just discovered plunger coffee. Gosh, it was the height of sophistication. You'd put it on the table, the plunge of coffee, and you came about three months. They need stir it and plunge it. But they are dangerous things. Remember Richard Kamuski BFM put a hot stream of coffee up his arm. Yeah, an interesting unit that one. Get in touch here till twelve Andy Marcus.
Speaker 11: Welcome, Hello Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 3: And you said no nonsense I love, which I like.
Speaker 11: Oh, well, thank you very much, sir. Surely it's got to be the home heater. It's burned down hundreds of homes. I can't believe that guy was mentioning bread knives.
Speaker 3: That was me. What do you think the most dangerous thing would be?
Speaker 11: Oh, it's got to be home heating. Surely it's burned down hundreds of homes.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess it's whether we say the most dangerous thing in the home or the most dangerous appliance. And there's a heater and appliance it probably is it?
Speaker 11: Well, I believe they're often guess or electric sustics would be the burnt down a lot of homes and done a lot of damage.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's on the list. Okay, I'm talking about things that send people to the emergency room. I think that's probably what I need to clarify, because if your house is burnt down, youre well. This is over a ten year study and the people to get into the most in the house are children four and younger or people in their fifties. That's me, And you'd be curious though what the result is. I don't want to tell you about that yet. Quentin Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 12: Hey, welcome, Marks.
Speaker 11: How are you real good?
Speaker 3: Thank you? How's yourself good?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 12: I reckon the most dangerous appliants is the electric blanket. Number one factor is you're asleep when it's happening. But then also just they do tend to get freight wires and bent wires and they short circuit and can start fires. So I think the electric linket is the number one dangerous appliants, but then also probably I'm not sure it's an appliance, but the number two would be the electric gas bottle heater that discharges carbon monoxide into the closed spaces is probably the next dangerous appliants in the home. So yeah, those are probably my top two.
Speaker 3: You definitely say that. I'm just trying to think is it atric blanket an appliance, because if it wasn't electric cliants, what else would you call it?
Speaker 12: It's hard to give it if it's.
Speaker 3: If it's not an it must be an applied That's another very good sub question, isn't it? Quentin? Thank you for that. Would electric blanket be an appliances? A lot of questions, questions, questions, generating questions. Fraser Marcus welcome.
Speaker 13: Only only on Tuesdays.
Speaker 10: Only.
Speaker 13: On Tuesday this week we get the sparks in our house, so I wouldn't go and we had to go on through a multi box. The multi box was faulty and it melted the plug of the dryer into the multi box.
Speaker 3: Flip flip, Wow, yeah, wow, you're going to You're you're a very calm person to talk to Fraser.
Speaker 13: That there's a real warning markus to people out there who have got a multi box in their laundry in this case was in our garage. Then where our laundry is all right, and if we could have we could have lost our double story house because it's obviously the garage is on the bottom floor to a simple plug.
Speaker 3: So a multi box is like what do you I never called it a multi It's like a multiple plug thing, right, yep.
Speaker 13: That's so you can get them in three, four or five. In this case, it was a three because all we had. All we had on it was the dry and then when we were obviously when we're vacuum the car out and that sort of thing, we plug into that. So we had them with cent of four. But the spark, he said, Case said to me on too, they said, the big problem you have right, the multi box is not a it's not suitable for it. It's going to go straight into the walls, straight into the wall socket.
Speaker 3: Just a dryer. Yeah, because of how much it draws. Yeah, wow phrases. Should you be on the phone?
Speaker 8: Yeah, on the phone.
Speaker 3: But this this is a lot going on in the back. It sounds like you're like running a new power station or something.
Speaker 8: I'm running.
Speaker 13: I'm just I'm just doing a trip into Hamilton and.
Speaker 3: Back with the track brilliant. What's that noise? What's the what's that's my.
Speaker 13: That's my supervisor trying to call me on the hearty and I'm talking to you.
Speaker 3: The noisiest call of every head, noisiest call of everhead. What about that with a dryer? Shouldn't go into I don't even know they're called a multi box. I didn't know dry I should go in to one of those. Kyle Marcus Welcome.
Speaker 7: Cured, Marcus, Cure, Kyle, I think the most dangerous appliants in the house is the television.
Speaker 3: Wow, because of the misinformation.
Speaker 14: You got it.
Speaker 3: It's a good point.
Speaker 1: What Fox News, Uh, Fox News is they tell some porky's That's for sure.
Speaker 3: I hadn't thought of that, Kyle, Thank you. He might be right Fox News. I think they've tuned on Trump, have they Fox?
Speaker 15: Well?
Speaker 3: I think he employed most of them. Loves his TV ol Trump, Honey, what is said much today? Is he off golfing? Said nothing today? Trump? I think it was kind of playing get coverage with the reopening Alcatraz because of the sharks. He's obsessed with the shark. Now nothing Wow, But we're having a serious day to day Berry Marcus welcome.
Speaker 8: Yeah, evening, Marcus. In my house. The smoke alarm, the most bloody dangerous finger.
Speaker 3: I hate them.
Speaker 8: I'm cooking breakfast. Next minute smoke alarm goes off, I have to jump on the chair.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm hearing you turn it off.
Speaker 8: If I survived that, I didn't get back to the kitchen and there is a fire.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I got the kids to make long sticks. We can poke the smoke alarm with every time we put special bread in the taste door, every time a log falls out of the multi burner.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: I'll do that. I'm going to do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because the bloody the chair is quite high off the ground. I'm not young anymore.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. I wonder how many people have died and stalling those damn things because it's not easy.
Speaker 8: No, well yeah, well that's what I'm saying. We're the same thing as you've got to turn them off. By the time you turn them off, you get back to your kitchen. You know the good friar.
Speaker 17: And it is on fire.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, very liking where you're coming from. Brilliant twenty six past day. Keep your calls coming through, Steve Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 17: Oh okay, mate, how you doing good, Steve. I actually got a lectri curded by in an electric blanket when I was about eighteen months old. Oh you nineteen sixty something. Wow, and my safe stupend come out of my nephew apparently obviously don't remember this, and whence is it? Don't laugh, it's not that funny. Wow has approved the point.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's heartbreaking. That would just been your poor parents.
Speaker 17: The old man was a scener Navy and then my mother did know what's going on and my granddad. Ye, apparently I walked around you and pop up I sore hand and I had I've got a scar on my left hand which is the exit point and an entry point on my gut.
Speaker 3: Wow. After all you had what I.
Speaker 17: Had a what they call a whit wolves procedure about four years ago, three years ago for cancer. And the one thing I told the surgeon you cannot cut my scar. My gut is like a major surgere like matter, Are.
Speaker 3: You all right now?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 17: Who knows me?
Speaker 3: Nice to hear from you, Steve, Thanks so much. Yeah, what would be the most dangerous appliance in the house. I've got no real reason why I've come up with this or something to discap but I am kind of curious to know what it is. I haven't injured myself, Yeah, no, yeah, it defends. It depends on your definition of appliance. Probably the worst injury I vigured myself on is one of those folding clothing racks, and I because it's got a ring that slips down on the unfolded the ring holds all on place, and I folded it against the flow in a state of agitation, and it kind of broke and came up the back of my leg quite a nasty cut. So that would be the worst thing I've done to myself within the house. I'm an next and prone person, but yeah, that for me. That What do you call those things? These have a racist term, didn't they? I just called them a clothes horse? Are they clothes horse? I don't know what they are, but that would be the thing recently they've given myself the most damage on anyway, good evening, hell and it's Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 19: Here, High Marcus. What about the pressure cooker.
Speaker 3: You're done it, you've done, You're hidden with that. I don't know. I've never gone one near one because my mother put my fear of God. She just said, you never had one. She'd see people at camping grounds with pressure cooker she'd just shake her head.
Speaker 19: Yes, my mother had had one, but I wouldn't. Never touched one, and they absolutely freaked me out.
Speaker 3: Did they blow?
Speaker 8: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 16: They go.
Speaker 19: On a roar, but I do understand that sometimes they do explode.
Speaker 3: Mind, you've never seen any one of the death noticedes that they say the cause of death was the pressure cooker.
Speaker 19: No, well, you haven't seen any the toaster either, have you?
Speaker 3: You will know it. But no one's bringing the pressure cooker back, which is interesting. Some online sources came thousands have died due to pressure cooker injuries and explosions. Oh that's stupid, chad Ai. I wish that and even be on my computer excellent pressure. Oh, this is a website called pressure cooker lawsuit dot org. It's sort of lawyers. That's if you know there's lawyer specializing in pressure cookers. You know that probably and there is a pressure cooker bomb. You can make a don't google that with the work computer, insert explosive material to the pressure cooker and a tasked a blasting cap under the cover. You wonder with that. While they haven't banned pressure cookers, you can turn them into a bomb trig it with a garage door opener. I wish I hadn't read that. I feel less safe already, good evening. Gussett's Marcus, Oh.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marcus, I reckon it's electric blanket. Years ago when near he did my whole family, And because of my stupidity, I preheated my young father's bed with turning the EQUI blankey on, and I put his teddy on the foot of the bed, and we all went to bed, and I forgot to turn the blanket off, and it super heated the bed where the teddy was, and it made a great, big crater in the mattress, a big glowing crater, and it filled the whole house with smoke. And I woke up about four in the morning. I wondered what that funny smell was, and I got up, and I remembered the blanket, and I went into his room and I pulled the colors down slowly, and here was this awesome crater. So I picked the boy up, gave me missus the nuds, and we all went outside, and I carried the blanket out. I wrapped up tight, the whole bed, the mattress and everything, carried it outside, threw it on the lawn and hosed it and Heed the whole else somewhere out and Nicole waiting for the hair helse to hear out. No, I think they're fatal. They can be elected.
Speaker 3: Man was the bear? What was the beer made out of? Nothing special?
Speaker 10: Just no, it's just just a normal teddy bear that he liked, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and it must have been well. But he was just he was just a baby. So the beer would have been a couple of feet below him, is that right?
Speaker 10: Oh, he was about four fowome.
Speaker 20: He wasn't injured, No, no, God what whether whether it affected his brain or whatnot with all the smoke, I don't know.
Speaker 10: It was dreadful. So I took the whole lot of the blankets and I dumped them. Or that's it. I'll never touch another electric blanket.
Speaker 3: An extraordinary story. Go thank you for that. Wow. Wow, haven't got the text yet, Jason Marcus evening.
Speaker 21: Hi, Jason, Yeah, Hello, how's it going good?
Speaker 3: Jason? Thank you?
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah, No, I'm just thinking about the old Ringer washing machine back in the eighties eighteen eighties nineteen eighties. We used to put the clothes through and ring them out first and put them in a bowl washer.
Speaker 3: And because often people would arrive at school with broken arms, right, and they say they got it stuck in the ringer, right.
Speaker 21: That's exactly what I did myself.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I always thought that was a euphemism for.
Speaker 2: Child abuse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always thought of the kid had been bashed and that was just a convenient excuse. But it generally happen.
Speaker 2: Did it.
Speaker 21: Yes, they had a safety release on them which used to pop on the side and let Yeah I'm sory, but if yeah, especially put them in towels through to let it get a grip on the let the ringer get a grip on the hell you arm and sometimes go through too, because.
Speaker 3: The adults didn't see what arms be too big to go through. Because I didn't see any adults that did their arm and the ringer garringer, I.
Speaker 21: Think they adults set the kids up to do it, didn't.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't laugh. I think you'd be surprised. I've read just an article in a magazine called Fast Company. I don't even know what the magazine is, but looks fairly kind of official, but it's pretty interestingly the thing that's most likely to send you to the emergency room. Yeah, it's kind of really interesting actually, and I wish i'd brought this up as this discussion earlier. I wonder if it was going to be the vacuum cleaner with old people tripping. So, yeah, the wayp clients are getting safeer, they need to terrifying go with a Teddy Bear and the child that had the nap, nap the nappy with the safety pin. Flip you imagine line they're now and putting them in the bed and put the nappy on with the safety pin and going through Grant Marcus welcome.
Speaker 14: Yeah, hi Marcus.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying that fridges are dangerous, but I made I got bitten by a fridge back in nineteen seventy six. We used to have a We had a fridge that had that big arm that you pulled down.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like that like that that was the closing lockee.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, anyway, it was it was rattling. It was actually the motor, but I thought it was something around the motor that was rattling.
Speaker 8: And so.
Speaker 7: It had a vegetable compartment underneath it. Basically, it just covered up where the motor was. So I took that out and I got a rag and I put it between the motor and the body to stop the rattle. And I took my hand out, and I thought, oh, if I just pushed it in a bit more, it might get it. So I put my hand inside and it was now before I'd had it in the rag around my hand. This time my hand was around the rag well the back of my hand touched where the wires come in to go after the motor and the light, and it grabbed hold of me, and I thought it was on the inside of my hand, So I'm trying to push off it, and I think I was stuck there for about fifteen seconds, and my head was rattling away on the door and all that. Anyway, I finally thought, well, if this is the way to go, goodbye world. So I stopped trying to push and I came off the fridge.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 7: And to fix me, they that they took a graft a like a belt from around my waist on my right and they left it attached in my groin and they put it over the back of my hand. And so anyone who sees my hand now thinks that I'll in a boxer. But I love having kids on little kids, I say, oh when I get when I get a nitch on my waist, I got to scratch it on the back of.
Speaker 3: My hand, quite advanced for the seventies. A. Yeah, so there was a they grew a bit on your waist. Is that what they did? Could you say that? But again.
Speaker 7: No, they cut two inches out of my waist but left it attached just in my groin and then they wrapped they laid that on the back of my hand and I was attached like that for three weeks.
Speaker 3: So you'd be in bed yep, so your arm was down by your groin with a bit attached to it so could grow onto it.
Speaker 7: That's right up.
Speaker 3: Was it a new procedure grant.
Speaker 7: Reasonably? So there was another There was a couple other people in the ward that I was in that had had, you know, bits attached in other ways to get things to grow.
Speaker 3: And then once it's attached, they just trim it to size.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well they didn't. They didn't decrease the height of it. They just cut off the end of it where it was attached to me. And so I've now I've sort of got this thing that it looks a bit like a wrap on the back of my hand, just across my knuckles.
Speaker 3: They haven't had to have subsequent years go back and.
Speaker 7: Readdress them.
Speaker 3: No, no, So for all those years it's worked.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just getting a bit tight now. You know, I'm like sixty eight tomorrow and it's it's a bit getting a bit tight. You know, when I closed my fist, you know what have.
Speaker 3: The other option been? Decapitation? That's not the word, yeah, amputation, amputation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well you see they tried first to take a bit off the back of my hand and just turn it round and put it over it, but it didn't work, and so for a few days I was there watching my tendons working on my index finger.
Speaker 3: Oh god, we an adult?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was about nineteen, I think.
Speaker 3: Did you have a trade or a career?
Speaker 7: I was working in the paper mill at Kinley.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it well yeah, okay, so you're off on leave for six months will you.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you managed to get full use in your hand again.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good story. Did you throw the fridge away?
Speaker 7: I don't, I think I think my flatmates did get rid of that fridge year.
Speaker 3: But a horrible story, Grant. I appreciate that greatly. Hi, Paul, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 22: Yeah, Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 18: Pool?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 22: Just sitting there thinking about it, listening to it, wouldn't the most dangerous appliance be the people in the house?
Speaker 3: Yeah, although I don't know you called something an appliance, would you?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 22: But they're always using one, and it depends on how have you.
Speaker 3: Have you have you injured yourself in the house?
Speaker 23: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what appliance was it?
Speaker 17: Well?
Speaker 22: It was poking fork at the toaster.
Speaker 3: I'n't never done that, and I've thought about it.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 22: Yeah, but something so simple. But yeah, it wouldn't have been people because well, it wouldn't have been the poster if it wasn't me.
Speaker 3: Very good point, Paul, Thank you, extremely good point. Oh eight hundred eighteen twenty nineteen nine de text anything else here for it, here for it, there for it, up for it, up for it, down for it around town for it here the end hit the midnight tonight. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty George.
Speaker 23: You're having fun tonight? Can I give you two to make your squam and one to make you laugh. Sure, I wanted to make your squam my. We lived in a state house many years ago when I was a kid, which meant that you had the pathway, came up to the back door, you came up onto a landing, and you went straight into the kitchen, or I should turn left into the laundry, remember those sort of formats. Yes, so laundry door was open. My younger sister, my little sister, she would have been about three, I suppose climbing the steps puts her fingers in the doorjam of the door for the laundry, and then you know, behind the hinge, and my brother closes it and crunches her fingers.
Speaker 3: I've got to come back at your george on that one. I lived in a state house for a while, and it had those bread bins.
Speaker 23: Yes, the drop down ones.
Speaker 3: No they're on the ground, they come out, Yeah, they come out on the angle. And I closed one with my thumb too far forward and slammed it on the thing. And honestly, it was one of the only times I actually haven't turned up for work because that was yeah, and I didn't know you could actually just drill in your nail with a whether it was probably before the inside, I didn't know. You just got a paper clip and heat that up and burns with the nail and release the pressure. Because it was it was a hell of a night, and I felt that I forgot a cowdy fighting up to the doctor to get it pierced. But yeah, flip anyway, Yeah, so you're right about that. Yeah, you alutely absolutely agree with you.
Speaker 23: It's that crazy number two. As my brother was three years old, my dad was off to work and the kitchen window was above the sink and the stove was to the right, and my mum was boiling some milk on the stove with the handle sticking out, and he climbed up on the chair, grabbed the handle of the pot which had boiling milk in it, to climb up and say goodbye to dad, and poured it over himself. And he still got the scars from his shoulders down to his waist. So that's that did not go down.
Speaker 3: Well, No, you got a scar. I mean that's I mean, that's serious burns, doesn't it serious?
Speaker 23: Burn Yes, just survived it. But the third one, my mum had a pressure cocker. Since you were talking about the melia, and you were wondering, can they be dangerous? Well, she was making pea soup with barley and all sorts of stuff, boiling it away there, and the top has got this little weight on it that holds the pressure, and it just rotates as it lets a little bit of steam out, starts going wizzle, whizzle, wizzle. And this thing's rotating around and around and around a little bit as it wobbles, regulating the steam pressure and the pressure cocker. And she says to me, don't you dare touch that. Well, you know that's an invitation to do something you shouldn't do. So I gave it a nudge. This thing took off, but you took off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 23: This weight that sits in the middle of the lid took off to the ceiling, and so did all the soup. There was soup all over the roof. The pressure cocker emptied itself out through the nozzle, and like a spray gun had sprayed the roof all over the place. It was dripping soup. And I spent the next day apparently it was my job to clean the roofs and it.
Speaker 3: Would have ended itself quite quickly did it?
Speaker 23: Oh yeah, right, it's a huge amount of pressure in there and it just took off because it just bubbles up inside with the change of pressure, is it? And bubbles up and frosts up and just squirts out. It's pretty much did it?
Speaker 2: Pretty much?
Speaker 3: And I told you so moment, isn't it?
Speaker 24: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 23: And you know, I don't know whether she laughed or cried, but it was my job to spend the next day actually in the room. How long were we had to see that night? Were probably about.
Speaker 3: Twelve inquiring age, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 23: Yeah, that's when you get noisy about things and does this work? And you know, should you poke things into power sockers to see if they're really alive?
Speaker 3: Wow, it's a good story, George, thank you injuring yourself and the most dangant Well, that's a that's a rich vein of things to explore for us. If I hadn't mentioned that, we wouldn't have got old the guy with his flipp and fridge. Wow. Still find that kind of hard to believe, Incredibly hard to believe, especially that early form of surgery. Unbelievable. Here till midnight. If you want to be a part of it. My name is Marcus welcome O eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to text. I have got some research about what is the most dangerous applies. I don't think anyone's really nailed it just yet. And it's pretty interesting where it goes the whole discussion. So you might have something to say about that. And that's good because I am here for you people. Here'll twelve. I forgot a new pope. I'll tell you I've got a website up of the chimney chimney. It's called chimney cam. No, I'm now watching him to watch ads. God, there's nothing sacred anymore. Do you a ready there? Give me a pop up ad? When I'm trying to see who the new pope is? Which is the chimney? That thing little hat on the top. It's not much of a chimney, is it? You call that a chimney?
Speaker 25: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very unexpiring, uninspiring ny chimney. What if they sweep it? Someone said the Italian's favorite for two dollars, Pietro Parlin from Italy, then Tagle from Philippines. This hasn't changed much the last couple of months. It seemed to be the Philippine and two of the Italians. Marcus, the ceramic cook top only glows red went on. I had third degree burns from much you one as a kid, not realizing been on awful things and uses for cooking. Yeah, they are the devil's cook where those cerabic tops like the way they glow, though, I'm still worry about the little kids. That kid with the nappy through the sopetyfins, through the nappy into an electric blanket and the teddy bear. Wow, he says smoke alarm would have I don't even when did smoke alarms become a thing? Those portable and tell long they be around forty years. Kind Of quite curious about that because they must have saved a huge number of lives. Oh, I suppose people are probably opposed to put it up with the oly dation. How people are I don't even made them compulsory for those reasons. Roosters an't going to change signed dear evans? Are they? Goodness? Anyway? I want to know what's the most dangerous appliance in the house. They've got some pretty interesting reveals about this one too, actually, but I'm curious to hear your opinion. What is the most and what's been the most dangerous For me? It was the clothes horse. But I don't know if the clothes horses and appliance terrible Christmas Day it was too wow, Yeah, the stress of Christmas. Steve Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 26: Marcus. In the mid seventies, we had a bar heater and I was a little boy about five years old. Used to poker fork in the bar heater, get a little jiggle, get a little get a little buzz, and then a massive, great big wallop and get thrown up against like three or four feet And my mum and dad and I started to enjoy it and used to do it quite often. But mom and dad couldn't do anything because once we got the fork in there, I'd get the little power on the little light light electric shock can move the fork around. I can still vividly remember, Marcus and get thrown up against the wall about three fold aweight three four feet away.
Speaker 3: That must have been quite concerned about you.
Speaker 25: True story.
Speaker 26: Marcus loved it like a rugby tackle.
Speaker 3: Is that carried through the adulthood?
Speaker 2: Stop it?
Speaker 26: No, I'm wondering, Yeah, yeah, no, yes, Marcus pranks day, ended up in jail all sorts of just being a prankster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's bad if you've got going on, gone to jail just for jolly James, Oh.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know.
Speaker 14: It's sort of grade five.
Speaker 4: What do you call American movies?
Speaker 27: Like, Yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 3: Extremely let's extremely into pranking when you're off to the big house for it.
Speaker 14: I know, I thought.
Speaker 3: You was going to say, because I took I took great joy with the heater, just actually taking the knife, just down the up and down, the up and down the wire grill made an exciting and satisfying noise. But you, but you in full noise, get.
Speaker 26: Thrown up against the wall, like like thrown.
Speaker 11: Bolt the wall.
Speaker 3: Good to hear from you, Steve dB Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 14: It will covers no surprise to you that the most dangerous appliants in this house, there's any appliance that I'm interacting.
Speaker 3: With, Really, are you not good with them?
Speaker 14: To what's got it right? About the pressure cook? I did exactly the same thing as an adult that my girlfriend was cooking something she says, don't touch at the top of that thing. And I did exactly the same thing as George attached it and blew it off and it put the pot onto the roof.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, isn't it. Well, I guess it's pressure for you.
Speaker 14: Fantastic, fantastic, And you know, Greg science, you get a PhD out of you know, lowering the pressure and dropping the boiling point and spontaneous combustion and all that.
Speaker 3: Will you see them offer in secondhand shops? What if they're worth purchasing? I don't know why. What would you cook? What would your money cooking? What was she cooking in the pressure cooker? What went to the roof?
Speaker 14: That was corn beef?
Speaker 3: Of course it was.
Speaker 14: It did a lovely corn beef for half leg. In this case, that roof tasted good for days. Changing light bulbs while the circuit still on stuck my fnue on the life prong. That wakes you up in the harry, especially you've got a metal.
Speaker 3: Leader a shot from changing a light bulb too. Actually, it wasn't pleasant, just because we've got conduit in the house and it's not great. I think it conducts power or something. I've meant to get it bok at So if I'm not here tomorrow, that's what's done.
Speaker 14: It. Some of the biggest bangs. Of course, I got some when I was living on my ship and doing electrical work on that because quite often I was working on live circuits, which in itself's not a big problem as long as we don't touch them. And this particularly, I was working on a circuit barefoot and standing on steel deck when I brushed the finger against the circuit. Who that lit me up like a candle.
Speaker 17: That was great.
Speaker 3: Did it realign your urons into a more positive disposition?
Speaker 14: I think it's maybe more mad than I was before I started, actually, But we had one of those tasty makers going back to dangerous things, and one of my sons leant on it while it was hot. Oh yes, and the top surface shows no indication it's going to be hot and burnt as up very badly.
Speaker 27: Oh wow.
Speaker 14: Okay, So and I would I would as a without me being involved, I would say the toaster because of the same thing. You don't know it's hot, you haven't just move to move the sideways or something, and the sides are red hot.
Speaker 3: I've never I've never come to grief with the toaster. Okay, but the night's still young. I kin'd even imagine. I don't think my toaster would get that hot.
Speaker 14: Perhaps you've never interacted with it to find out that the outsides of them can get very hot.
Speaker 3: Well, my toast is so slow. There's sometimes that I've worried that I've actually got it on the defrost setting. That's how slow it is.
Speaker 14: Yeah, here comes summer.
Speaker 3: Don't say that off and d we thank you. Thirteen nights Young, thirteen past nine nickets Marcus welcome.
Speaker 2: Hey here am I good night? Good good. Two things spring to mind. The first one is how fast that is. Everyone's got one, like a little stip letter, like a two dollars shop variety, not quite two dollars shot, but not the proper robust letter that you get on a site.
Speaker 3: It's got like some it's like some plastic componentry too, it hasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's sort of like everyone's got one in the house or that, and then there's got one, or mum's got one, and this little contraption thing and the little step thing folds out, or they've got one of those little slidey things and it's got like bits of string on it on the sides, and maybe it was good in nineteen thirty eight, when it was made or something. Well, I went up one of those ones hanging fairy lights on a pedg thing, and we were inting this quite fresh house on the north shore and the head it's like a Spanish style place, and it had like a yeah, quite a tacky sort of vineyardy sort of look they were going for with these big heavy timbers laying on top of the of the purglar, so the object being the string fairy lights on top of that. And I got up on this cheap old ladder, but it's sort of the ladder given away because the timber was so heavy they hadn't bothered to pin it down. So I leant the ladder against a thing, and as soon as I got up past the point, it's just the wood itself just gave way and fell off, and I had to throw himself backwards because there was a rockery you had underneath it. So if I went forward with the ladder, I would have been in even bigger trouble. And that was probably the worst thing, because literally do they you know, I moved and moved ahead, moved to toes wiggle the fingers to go through all that motion. Yeah, but that was a bit of fun, and I think probably the second one. Yeah'll be a dishwasher. Yeah, yeah, dishwashers can be very dangerous.
Speaker 22: Hell.
Speaker 2: I found out woll because I've got to call off my mate and he said, me, dishwasher is broken. Come around and have a look. And you know he's a good maide like I work with him for a while and so forth, and you know the kind of sort of thing we used to do, help each other out where we could. So I went, I know nothing about dishwashers, but if we're around there anyway, and I stood out about four or five beers. He says, all right, well, me, dishwashers broken. What we going to do about it? And I said, well, obvious, divorce her and get another one. Yeah, let's just smart stoke. It's not me, you know. But unfortunately his partner was with an airshot and they were going through domestics unbeknownst to me, and she said, well you're left this cup last time you were here, and she launched. They stayed at me head and said for me, dishwashers are very danger subject didn't I'll leave you with that?
Speaker 3: Well handled, nick Jay. It's been a casual sex, have we doubled down on it. There we go, get in touch Marcus till twelve. How are you people? So what would be the most dangerous appliance in the house? And I'm pretty curious to hear what you think it is. Now, what is interesting is according to hospital admissions. And I'll just bring up the literature according to hospital admissions, right, And this is according to an article on a magazine called The Fast Company, which is design article. A study conducted by online loan marketplace lending Tree between twenty thirteen and twenty twenty two found the household appliances responsible one hundred and fifty thousand injuries in twenty twenty two alone. They found the biggest culprit of all was, of all things, the refrigerator. Yeah. And if you're wondering how refrigerators acted as such agents of chaos, it's mainly frigid that are malfunctioning, resulting in water around the base. So many of the injuries are the result of slips and falls, not while using the refrigerator, but jet to puddles and spills that accumulated around them. So frigerator was number one, ranges were number two. Then vacuum clean is number three. I don't know how vacuum cleans would be a thing. Pretty amazing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: We go.
Speaker 3: Ranges and ovens led to three hundred and twenty five thousand trips to the emergency room. These injuries, unsurprised he came in the form of burned and skulls. The next three in order of vacuum cleaners, washing machines, and microwave ovens. Yeah. The study proposed that the pandemic most likely paid a role in the decline of injuries, since people were probably les late together hospit believe if they were injured. I've never slipped around the fridge. I've never burnt myself badly on the oven. I've never done anything bad with a vacuum creator. I presume vacu creator people would trip over the cord, would they? It does tend to tie you up the washing machine in the mind. I don't know how you do yourself on a microwave oven. Of course, every time I say microwaven, I think that's stupid song. I've never liked.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: Men at work anyway. Eighteen past nine, we're talking about the most dangerous appliants in your house. You might have a cursed appliance. Is it pc to note how many men are calling stove's left on and bringing down houses to get my vote for the most dangerous. But behind everyone as a person, Cindy, a lot of people are get the most dangerous is the mandolin. My father decided to answer my questions about electricity something we cannot see and you feel. He instructed me to hold the spark plug lead on the lawn while he pulled the starter cord. A lot of people are proposing the most dangerous person or the most dagorous appliant as their wife, which yep, Joan, it's Marcus.
Speaker 28: Welcome, Hello, marcause you get onto some interesting things, don't you. About forty two years ago, I had an old couch in my place I was living with my two preschool children, and there's some material hanging down in the bottom of So I'll get a drawing pin and I'll pop it up with my thumb. Well, the bloody top come off the drawing pin, and the thing on the drawing pm went through into my thumb. So I just pulled it out as quickly as I could, and it did hear up, but oh my gosh, it was sore.
Speaker 3: Do you remember as a child standing on drawing pins a lot? I was often standing on them.
Speaker 28: We've always had a tin here on the bookcase in the in the TV room when the boys were there, and then Boodie had that room. But I was talking to my neighbor today because I've got a moon size cut on my eye of my leg, and that happened when I was three years old. Now, my sister and I were fighting over who was taking this can out to the rubbish bin.
Speaker 2: On the farm.
Speaker 28: And you walked up to the bin, and of course it was the outside toilet, and once Dad had the cap beside and we kitten and it fell down the toilet, the outside toilet, and he got a rake and got it out and washed it. But anyway, we were fighting over this tin. Well I got this moon shape scarts about half an inch wide, and Mum looked after it, and Grandad was staying with us, and he said, oh, Joanes should be in hospital, should see the doctor. Mum said, oh, no, I'm looking after her. I can't remember that, but I ended up the one that got the top of the tin. And of course now a lot of them they're pull off, and of course Mum always said, make sure you're pressing the top of the tin when you open a tin of baked beans or food or something.
Speaker 3: You know. Just making about drawing pins is now they've got the ones they don't I mean, why did they design a drawing pin that would fall so it was sharp? But up with those bits with a wide circlear bit because of course now they're brilliant. Now you drop one and they don't go in the body. But I was often standing on drawing pins at school end at home. It doesn't happen to the kids. Maybe that's the problem. Too much social media. I enough, drawing pins. Very unpleasant feeling. Joe, nice to talk, Thank you, Matt Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 4: Hey, how's going good?
Speaker 2: Matt?
Speaker 4: Hey, Yeah, I just got a bit of a story. So I was quite fortunate to grow up in the eighties. So we sort of grew up playing outside, so not really our clients, but we're playing bor us one day outside and I managed to touch the street light and it gave me a hell of a shock. So it being because we were we decided that, hey, let's build a chain and see if we can all get a shop. So we got to the point we got to about six people and then someone decided that put their foot on on the drain down on the street, and we're all going to have a shop. Well, I think the longest we had it for we'll probably be up for or five seconds.
Speaker 3: How were you touching the street light?
Speaker 4: So you know on the street, pol it was like a metal must I think it a screen. I don't know what it was. So it just happened to be touching it or with playing boris and it gave me a shot.
Speaker 3: So it was it was so slightly miss wired or something was it?
Speaker 4: I would assume so because we ended up just being able to not a good thing, but we end up being able to just kick the light and send all the lights out on the street.
Speaker 3: None you met, Thank you. Twenty five past nine, Steve Marcus welcome.
Speaker 27: Oh good evening, Marcos. I heard you say that you couldn't think how a microwave could be to cause an accident. So I thought i'd share with the group. I thought I'd be clever. One year I was making a Christmas cake and all the time, and so rather than soak the fruit overnighting brandy, I thought this will work a lot better if I warmed the brandy. Don't ever try warming brandy in a microwave. I warmed the brandy alcohol. It blew up the microwave completely, blew the door clear off, split my head open.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm glad, I pondered allowed, because that's quite a visual demonstration. So the alcohol evaporates, and yeah, what ignites it?
Speaker 27: I guess being gaseous, it goes into the componentry of the microwave and something somewhere. Sparks don't by the internal componentry of a microwave very well, but apparently there must be something and that it can ignite it.
Speaker 3: Do microwave people know that?
Speaker 27: Personally? You were talking about most appliances that are dangerous. I think if you think about microwaves these days, where you can get the combination ones which they can have it metal in them because they are an oven, and then they can't have metal in them because there are a microwave. There are so many rules that don't apply to what we used to think of microwave. Was I reckon there a hazard waiting to happen?
Speaker 3: But would most people with a microwave know you can't use it to warm alcohol?
Speaker 27: I thought in hindsight that maybe it was a stupid thing to do.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't doot it. I mean, I don't drink it, don't have a microwave. But that's unlike so bloated with a loud bang.
Speaker 27: Oh, it completely warped the microwave. The entire chassis of the microwave was just twisted. It blew up with a with a quite a.
Speaker 3: Bang, and the door came out with you perpendicular on the same x as it was already.
Speaker 27: Yeah, so the microwave was eye level and it blew the door clear open and hit me in the head.
Speaker 3: But still stayed on its hinges.
Speaker 27: Yeah, still stayed on its hinges, but it blew that. It blew the door open with such force that it hit me in the head and gave me nasty cat six stitches.
Speaker 3: Did did the surgeon say, this is the sixth person this week I've done with trying to heat up brandy in the microwave. That's what they normally say, isn't it.
Speaker 27: But the acc form was something that I'm sure someone got to chuckle out of.
Speaker 3: That was the cake. Did it persevere with the Christmas cake?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 27: Yeah, Christmas cake with a great, great success.
Speaker 3: Okay, you did the brandy elsewhere you came back from the stitches. Was it I'm just trying to think. Was it down vertically down the forehead?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 27: So basically it was the edge of the door when it opened hit me vertically. So I basically had a vertical, vertical cut across the top of my forehead. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where you're standing. So we're watching it. We're watching the Whisky and the Brandy go around.
Speaker 27: I was waiting for it. I was in a hurry.
Speaker 10: What can my surprise?
Speaker 3: Was it just in what container?
Speaker 27: Was it in either a glass pirates jug?
Speaker 3: Wow? I never thought that would happen.
Speaker 27: No, neither did I.
Speaker 3: These are good stories. Well, good dog. What I'm liking about on these exits? They quite visual, aren't they? The fridge, the microwave, abet to find someone get injured themselves with the vacuum cleaner. But the night is young? Oh wait, one way to head on midnight tonight if you want to come through. We are talking about the most dangerous appliance in the home.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some would say the internet these days, Hey, you can learn some pretty wacky doodle stuff on that. Well, when I say learn, that's an inverted Commas, of course, Marcus sent from high Marcus. I would have thought an iron would be high up on the list. The habit of ending the iron on the end of the earn up ending the iron on the end of the earning board. I've had mine land on the floor many times. They have a bloke broken ye which needs replacing, also left on and you leave the room boom fire. I think, and this might sound stupid, and I don't want to, but I think probably people too, in a hurry have iron the shirt while it's on themselves. Now that doesn't tend to end well. Give us have a little bit of a burn, gets quite hot quicker than you think. We didn't have an iron, because what would I iron. I don't know if most people have an irons these days or night irons. John, Thanks for hanging on there and good evening, John AT's Marcus. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Hello, Marcus.
Speaker 18: Vacuum cleaners. They are the most dangerous household of plants you could possibly have, because you need to put a lot of physical effort into using the bloody thing.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree, and.
Speaker 18: You can you can have a heart attack. As a great uncle of mine dead on the end of a vacuum cleaner. So I wouldn't. I wouldn't touch a vacuum cleaner if you paid me.
Speaker 3: They are annoying things. It's an annoying weight down low. I've always found them hard work.
Speaker 18: Oh yeah, and you get yourself tangled up in the cord.
Speaker 3: It's never an exting time, victiiming. And then you switch from carpet to floor and it won't the adjustment won't click on you.
Speaker 18: I don't like them, no, But Marcus, can I go back to a subject you mentioned very early on tonight? There was a chap rang in and he had a wound and he got it fixed by grafting skin from one part of his body onto another part. Can you recall that conversation?
Speaker 3: I recall conversations from twelve years ago.
Speaker 18: But anyway, it brought to mind a relative of mine, Sir William Manchester. He was a pioneer in plastic surgery and he perfected, along with Sarah Shee Macendo, the art of grafting skin to repair words. He did a lot of work with airline pilots after the war, with burns and things like that. And there's a very good book written about plastic surgery and him in particular. The book is called Perfection. It's a good read if anybody's interested.
Speaker 3: Was he a Kiwi yep?
Speaker 18: Born and bred and Wyometti Wow?
Speaker 3: Him a Norman kerk Yep yep.
Speaker 18: And you know there are so many things hang on.
Speaker 3: John Yep. I think Wyometti is also famous. I think when I was in Wyamette not so long ago, there was a statue of the country's first female doctor.
Speaker 18: There is that, right, Uh, could well be. I'm not aware of that.
Speaker 3: You should be.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 18: I did go to school in Wyometty for three years with Norman Kirk.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 18: I was at why Metty Primary School in nineteen fifty through to nineteen fifty three.
Speaker 3: Did you race on the velodrome?
Speaker 29: No?
Speaker 18: But it had seats all around the edge of it that we used to jump from one seat to the next.
Speaker 3: Noticed those seats? Yeah?
Speaker 18: Yeah, And they had a peacock in the gardens at that yep. No, but my mother was a Manchester, so the name Manchester is quite well known in Wyometty.
Speaker 3: Did he go over Casar remained in the country.
Speaker 18: Oh No, He worked a lot in London, but he set up the Burns unit at Burwood Hospital here in christ Church after the war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I am slightly familiar with him.
Speaker 18: Yeah, if you googled it you'd probably find them so well your Manchester.
Speaker 26: But he.
Speaker 18: Spent the last years of his life working as a plus succeedson in Auckland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I am familiar with Yeah.
Speaker 18: But anyway, don't touch a vacuum cleaner.
Speaker 3: Terrible things and I don't know why they designed so badly. It's the weight, and it's that oh well.
Speaker 18: I used to have one that was sort of an upright thing. And when I had that, we were living in a house that was on several levels and christ to get this damned vacuum cleaner for one level to the next, it was quite a mission.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 3: I just think that I think it's the gods. I think it's the devil's appliance, the old vacuum cleaner, thank you, oh weight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. The most dangerous of all the appliance is they say it's the fridge, mainly because you'll do the old slip, well, the old slip or the new slip, whatever the slip is, Hello peteway Mark.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I reckon the old electric radio inside tents. Well, when I was a young boy, had me mate, it's a big it's the big thing we used to Somebody used to invite me friends around. It was the summertime. It'd always Mum and dad. It'd be one of those canvas tents over to pebb put two stretches inside of a pole in the center. So so he always had a radio in the listened to a bit of music and it was big time. And those day here radio inside your tinge and that. But sometimes that will cut out a bit and then let me mate, he will still made. He might be listening to his name as John. And one day, so one day and it cut out. And so those days I didn't realize that that's why you're your kids. You don't realize what how what power does? What's how dangerous is? So I thought I would turn the power off on the switch, you know you just turn off like on and off button, you know.
Speaker 21: So what I did.
Speaker 30: I went and then I thought I'd try to fix this wire up, you know, I try to find out where it's cutting out this So I wouldn't stop doing that, and I sticked me and I stick my fingers in there.
Speaker 7: Next minute, it just froze me. The elterricy just frozen. But it doesn't just yeah, it just grabs your yeah, just grabs your muscles.
Speaker 30: And I was trying to yell out to him, like you know, try.
Speaker 7: To get it, draw his attention. It just it just tightens your tongue.
Speaker 22: You can't talk.
Speaker 30: It just for lucky enough, I actually managed somehow to get loose to this flaming wire because I started yelling next and old John I think he almost shit himself.
Speaker 7: I think that when it was.
Speaker 30: Going on, I said, I didn't you didn't you hear me yelling out? It must have been harding how long it must have been. I had no thirty seconds, but it seems seems a long time. When you're at you in the electricity, it gets hold of your muscles or your voice, your voice box, and I let loose. And I always ever since then, I respected electricity because you don't realize it's how dangerous it is, you know. So yes, I've never been the same since there mar because I reckon I could have developed the latest EV vehicle forby forty years ago.
Speaker 3: So you're in where were you in this tent?
Speaker 30: So on the on the farm on the lawn and he got.
Speaker 3: It plugged into the mains.
Speaker 30: Yeah, so we had we had a tool tool explain.
Speaker 3: That peak because everyone thinks you're in a tent and be a trendy. You got in the tent with you.
Speaker 30: No, it's elelectric electric radio, a plug in one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was they had to run a pair accord into the tent.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't do that.
Speaker 30: We know, that's what we We always had just we just run up on the woods. You did, and they had a pair point in there.
Speaker 3: Are you living in the tent?
Speaker 7: No, No, we're just standing there a couple of nights. And that's a big thing in those days, sleeping in the tent.
Speaker 30: Get out of the house.
Speaker 3: No, No, with you. They're good on you for saying that. I've good on you for for sticking out for that. You're right about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I never forget that. So ever since then, I respected electricity because you don't realize how dangerous it is. I I always thought, how come I go literature and I didn't know.
Speaker 30: I said, well, you're only turning the pair off on the say, turning the raady off and the powers on inside. So especial when your kids. You don't realize it, do you kids are kids are the kid?
Speaker 3: Then yeah, you a better epecuted. So you almost feel it's like you're grip your muscles kind of clench.
Speaker 7: It does it does? You just have no control? You're yelling. I was yelling to him, but my voice box was frozen.
Speaker 30: It grabs your voicebox. It just it just freezes all your muscles.
Speaker 7: You can't you you know you're yelling.
Speaker 30: You think you're yelling, but I.
Speaker 7: Just you can't.
Speaker 30: You can't talk. It just frozes, just freezes your voicebox, I suppose, and imagine them and managed to let it go. And then I yell at him and old Johnny here and say you almost really jumped in the other side of the tent. So yeah, so yes, Elson's then I was very weary of electricity. Was probably it was a good.
Speaker 7: Listen for me.
Speaker 30: I suppose is what if he is listening, it might be he's probably better than half a hour's drive from where I lived. But year's name was Johnny. It was actually quite fun with me. Yes, yeah, yes, they need you. And I shouldn't say it, but I actually had a brother in law. You got litercuded to in the in the power coat. Here, you're years ago. Same thing with electricity. You know, you don't play around with electricity.
Speaker 3: No oh no, you got to respect you got to respect that. But good on, you're well, said Berry. It's Marcus.
Speaker 20: Welcome all Marcus, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 10: The guy that rung in earlier that said he's got he got caught up on the ringer wise means sing my mother in law got her breast caught in it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 10: Wow, it was a common thing back in the time, because.
Speaker 3: That's not something I thought on here tonight.
Speaker 10: No, I just was thinking to let you know or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Was she okay?
Speaker 10: Yeah? I didn't know her then, but she five, she's just did a fortnight ago. Wow, my wife went over to Ozzie to see about.
Speaker 3: The funel So she did she hit the release?
Speaker 10: I think so, But she had a hell of a job letting go with it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I can't imagine how that happens, but she would certainly know cheap as.
Speaker 10: Yes, but I yes, I say, I think it was a common thing for women that day, those.
Speaker 3: Days to get their breasts caught in the ringer. Yes, well, I've learned something tonight, Barry, thank you very much for that. I had no idea that was a thing. Goodness, John A's Marcus.
Speaker 31: Hello, Hey Marcus, how are you buddy?
Speaker 8: All good?
Speaker 3: All good, John, All good?
Speaker 31: Yeah, Yeah, I just a quick story here.
Speaker 15: I remember when I was like about ten, me and my mate were playing around with all electrolux and you can reverse them, you know, you can make it blow right, And well we've got a bit board blowing ping pong balls out. So we decided to put our pet mice in there. And I don't recommend it, but anyway, accidentally turned it around and it shot me in the eye and I got a bloody black eye from this mouse.
Speaker 8: The mouse is all right.
Speaker 31: Because we used to shoot them out of the window. There's only one story, but they landed all right. But yeah, they just want to let you know that so they can be dangerously vacuum clients with the wrong things.
Speaker 3: Brilliant John, thank you for that. Welcome, good evening money. Marcus hitdled telf We talk about the most dangerous appliants in the home, which they say is the fridge. But the fridge is so dangerous and how much how dangerous must the mop be? If The reason the fridge is so dangerous is because that people are always slipping on puddles from it. So yeah, anyway, get in touch. My name is Marcus Welcome. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine TUTA texts do come through, Do come through, do come through? Anything else you want to talk about, But it's mainly about appliances and your injuries with them, which I'm quite enjoying. It's good stories. Some crackers. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text anything else you got here for it? Eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine to nine tutor text any breaking news like popes and stuff like that, or across that so you will know. We'll go breaking on that. Off what happened? I don't know it happened today, but you never know. Did. It's Marcus Welcome, Marcus.
Speaker 29: I was electrocuted with the line foe. The lightning hit it and stretched me out in my dining.
Speaker 17: Room, and it.
Speaker 29: Stretched me out. Do you know how you see them drawing in the in the books and that when electricity hit you. That's just how it was. And the phone come back and hit me in the hit me in the ear, and my foot came up in the air and came down on my foot and knocked me down to the ground. So I don't know about these new phones now, but that was a lot long line, so it can be quite dangerous too.
Speaker 14: How long did did?
Speaker 3: How long ago was this?
Speaker 23: Oh?
Speaker 29: This is going back about ten years ago?
Speaker 3: And whereabout what study?
Speaker 16: And where in the red?
Speaker 29: It was in Kio in the bar north.
Speaker 3: So when you say did, when you say it stretched you out like in the diagrams that when your legs and your eyes and everything you are at full extent.
Speaker 29: Yeah, just stretched me right out. I was leaning on the dining room table with my foot on the piano stool, and I was buying a Stadion Arabian horse, talking to the guy that was selling it. Then the lightning and the lightning in the bolomen thunder was going and I didn't take any notice of that. And the next minute I stretched out and my arm was stretched out, and when it went off the line, my arm came back to where my ear was and smacked me in the in the ear, and then my one foot came up in the air, and then that came down on my other pot and then I cracked her on the ground. The guy rung back. I slammed the phone down. The guy rung back, I says electric storm, electric storm, and slammed the phone down. And I used to play with electricity with things that used to get broken. And I was using a pocket knife and had a plastic handle, and it was plugged in and it wasn't going, and I was touching everything and the electorsity melted the whole steel knife and left me with the plastic in my hand. That plastic hadn't have been on the recon, i'd have been dead.
Speaker 3: Did you have any repercussions or wounds from when you got shot when you're buying the stallion?
Speaker 29: No, I wasn't by the standing. I was bringing the guy up to buy a stallion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that first.
Speaker 3: But when you got shot, when you got shocked when you were trying to buy the stallion, did you have any permanent name?
Speaker 29: It was a pain, pain in the air, and I'm really sore foot, and I wondered why I was on the ground. So there's there's not many long lines there tarry phone wires around now, don't okay, So I don't know how it would go with these phones that we've got today, but anywhere where this electors a year in the house. That's that's your danger.
Speaker 3: Brilliant. I appreciate you, Tid. That's a good story. I think it was. I think he probably meant Landline. I don't know that, but I don't want to correct people. Twelve past eleven, Laureate's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that he would have heard a good name for the horse of fever boy.
Speaker 3: Well, I said with your Barger says, and I wasn't. I wasn't. Didn't want to go back there, but yeah, anyway, yeah, lightning would be wow.
Speaker 16: Yeah. He One of the most dangerous appliances used to be the electric jug and that was to do with you know, people snagging the going person catching the cord when it was boiling.
Speaker 3: And pulling on it too. Was always dangerous, was it.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So they used to sell those safety holders, you know, you put your jug in which is attached to the wall, and they couldn't.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of that.
Speaker 16: When was this, Oh, there would be probably twenty five years ago.
Speaker 10: Probably.
Speaker 16: I think I've still going out and the shid I do something else with it now. But you're touched to the wall. It was like a little cage type thing and.
Speaker 3: The jug what would I google like a jug safety electric jug safety.
Speaker 16: Cage safety holder. Yeah, yeah, degree und there. But there was a spectacular story with about the microwave warming out the alcohol. If if, if everything can instructed a microwave of them. There's there's some big magnets in there, you know, powerful enough that you can't push them together. But I can remember a story was before we had a microph wave of our own. Son went around to play with mats place the parents were away, and there were a bit of a novelty the microwave, and they started off catching blowflies and putting them in the microwave, and they apparently blew up and made quite a mess. And then they moved on to some of these things like market pens. The well colored market pins are in those metal cases. Stuck one of those and apparently and that really blew up with spectacular results, you know, colored everywhere. Let's say it's for some records times, you know, well to come home.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, yeah, I've never I've never, I've never really got involved with one. I always thought that's terrifying.
Speaker 16: But I find the the old pressure cooker is much maligned in some respects. So we did it used to all the old Land of Zero department. We used to get issue with pressure cookers, you know, for camp cooking, and they had safety valves in them, and so long as you didn't you know, you monitored to watch them while lower cooking. You got to a certain height and the valve came up a certain number of rings, and then you turned the heat down.
Speaker 3: And what do you mean they came up a certain number of rings? Tell me about that.
Speaker 16: Well, there we used to be a pressure valve on them. It raised up as the pressure inside because he didn't put much water in them really, so the water would start boiling, the pressure inside would push up a little valve. And for some things the recipes said, you know, with potatoes, if it came up say two rings, and then you kept it at that level for maybe you know, it only took you know, four or five minutes to cook that sort of stuff, and then you that was enough, you know, and then you took it off the heat and slowly released There was a weight that you could take off or you could just let it you know, dissiplate slowly. But but there was a fail safe. And even back and we're talking the sixties, they all had little little safety valves, like the additional thing was supposed to blow before you know, the lid came. Well, they were the way they were constructed, xt you couldn't really get the lid off.
Speaker 3: Laurie was the whole point of a pressure cooker that it was just much much quicker, is it the whole point of it.
Speaker 16: Much much quicker? Yeah, yeah, and saved on because we were mostically cooking on primers and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they so it was it was specifically an element you want to be good for the outdoor use because it was light and it was efficient efficient Yeah, okay, I mean.
Speaker 16: When you can cook you know sort of. The old corned beef was one of the things that you could you could do pretty quickly. How quickly Oh well, well that might be a bit longer, but it might only be you know, possibly half an hour, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 16: But the other vegetables you had little separate comparments for different veggies and you know, they could all be done and you know probably five minutes. And stews and stuff like that, and uh, they were we had them down the Antarctic as well.
Speaker 3: But I always, Laurie, I always wonder when you've got to meet you the attactic. I like that in the attactic. Yeah, we laur the tactic with a pressure cooker. What were you cooking about?
Speaker 16: Well, just get the old you know, the old, the high, the early d high stuff, and put water, you know, did a soak all day and uh and then you throw raisins and all anything else in there and get that. The early dehydrated stuff really did need something like a pressure cocker sippinder. It's sort of edible, it.
Speaker 3: Was, yeah, but and be quite tender.
Speaker 16: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You couldn't go roast and it was just stuff within water on.
Speaker 16: No, no, it had to be just water pressure. Yeah. The one that I knew, I mean as in the side you know the that those guys that did the the bombers the Chicago marathon, those those two.
Speaker 3: That's right, they did a pressure cooker. They were they they were they are mean, they are met.
Speaker 16: They were from.
Speaker 3: Kids. We're one of the we shouldn't we shouldn't malign the wrong anyway, the initiality doesn't matter.
Speaker 16: But yes, they of Russian origins anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they used to They used to pressure cooker, did they?
Speaker 16: Yeah? Well, I know they had amongst they had a number of things set happen. I know that one of them was a pressure cooker.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but.
Speaker 16: Apparently, as you say on YouTube, they had got a bit of a reputation.
Speaker 3: But I think they're from chitch chitchen the chitchen.
Speaker 16: Yeah yeah. I think in that sort of case, they're thinking of something that's going to blow up and it's going to be like a fragmentation type device. Basically it's gonna be a lot of shred and will go with it. Whereas ones, So.
Speaker 3: Why do people use them?
Speaker 16: Larry Well, I think there was a bit of a renaissance with them. Maybe it mightbe less than ten years ago. You were starting to see them around. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You put them on the element. You don't put them in the oven, do you.
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 16: No, No, it's just sort of an element or you know, guess stuff like that. So you're just going to.
Speaker 2: Boil it.
Speaker 16: You know, probably less than a cupful of watergoes in them, and it's it is very you know, probably the most fel efficient player of cooking. And it does soften things pretty well, you know, It's not like boiling hell out of cabbage like people used to. You know, it was sort of if you've did it for the right time, it was pretty good, but you can it retained a lot of the goodness as well. But I haven't haven't mind still in the shed my life. I'm not using it the term.
Speaker 3: I using what using your jug cage in the shed for. That's got me interested as well. Something else sounds pretty serious.
Speaker 16: Well, I've got to like a jug I use out in the shed for for balling the odd thing up. But sometimes I've just either got a care of paint sitting in that thing. It's yeah, they well when you google it, did it come up with an right the joke holders? Were they still around?
Speaker 3: I couldn't find an image. I'm actually moved on to pressure cookers to find out. Yeah, I found an article that says the article says, right Yeph. Now, yeah, I can't. I don't have to go because it's actually scrolling for me. Something's gone bed with my computer. But thank you. I want to go to John because John's a callback. John A's Marcus.
Speaker 32: Welcome, good evening, Marcus, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: You good? Thank you John?
Speaker 2: Good good Marcus.
Speaker 32: You were talking to a gentleman late on I think it was Monday evening and he was recapping the or trying to track the history of his family, and the subject of Western Springs came up, Yes, and he was trying to locate a street.
Speaker 3: There, number four. Was it number four? Bennerman?
Speaker 23: No?
Speaker 10: From what from the way you described it.
Speaker 32: He said that you used to come down the Bullock Track and then turn on to Great North Road and it was about two hundred and fifty meters along the road. Well, when I was a youngster, I used to work for the local grocer there and deliver the groceries on the bike here it used to do.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 32: And the road that he I'm pretty sure that he's trying to identify with is called Ivanhoe Road.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 32: Now Ivanhoe Road is actually on the other side of the new motorway. But what happened was when they created the new expressway right through Western Springs there, they took it because I lived there when there was trams on the on Great North Road, you know, That's how far I go back, and there was a big block of flats and then there was Ivanhoe Road, which was about directly opposite the entrance way to Western Spring Speedway and the way that they've reconfigured that Now if you look at a Google map, it's actually.
Speaker 10: They cut off Ivanhoe Road.
Speaker 32: To the Great North Road and they put an egress that accesses it like a slip road going onto the expressway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, John, I'm sure he said the address was for Bannerman Road.
Speaker 32: Now well for Bannerman Road Way up in Western Springs Road.
Speaker 6: Yes, But.
Speaker 3: As part of the call he did say that because he wondered if that had been close, if that had been shortened by the motorway when that went through by Chamberlain Park. So but look, look, so I did think he mentioned that. But look, so do you think you've got you think it's Ivanhoe Road?
Speaker 6: Do you?
Speaker 10: I would have, I would have said, given the way he described it.
Speaker 32: Yeah, by he came down the Bullock Track and then you turned onto Great North Road and it was about two hundred and fifty meters along the road in the road would have been Ivanhoe.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, John, Thank you. By the way, I am just watching the start of the All Black the Tall Blacks playing the Australian team. Just for anything down is it's just a friendly to three manch series. But what is interesting is I'm looking at the people doing the haka and I think three or four of them I saw on Saturday night playing for the Canterbury Rams when they saw off the South and Sharks convincingly. There's the big unit with the big bed and the long haired guy. I think the four or five of them, it's appeared to be players from Canterbury. Someone got the teamless there for me because I'm sure that most of them are from the Canterbury Rams. So I just yeah, I haven't got my program with me from the Tall Black's roster?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Where do I find the team for today? This is not the Asia Cup Qualifier?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 3: Tall Blacks Teamless Australia. I didn't realize they would have such a quick turnaround. This is only three days ago. They're playing Marcus over. Magic pot has several functions including pressure cooker, great for peen Ham soup. Forty minutes by them at Noel Lemming Classical Lightning Story. I remember the first note a new place was making perclated coffie. Little I know the stove and it was faulty. It exploded just miss my face and sped all of the ceiling, which had just been painted Lucky. It missed my face, Marcus. My husband bought new hair clippers and asked me to cut us here. I rightically agreed. I started the back and realized I needed a comb on and had shaved a big strip up on the back of the head. I put a comb on and carried on. He didn't know, and no one told him he had a landing strip. Lull ring of washing machines were dangerous. The ring of popping up and catching chin that goodness for modern appliances, Marcus. In the seventies, the pressure cookers were the most dangerous home appliances, usurped by the microwave. In the eighties by the microwave lyles. That is, in the eighties, Marcus, the most dangerous appliant in the house is the one my other heart is using when I give her a bit of lip. There's a lot of texts about that. Yeah, people don't like anything that volved in. They don't like cruelty. It's going to be a bit careful about that. Although it does say the mouse of the vecup, it must be the call of that. My wife and iron tears over it, So there we go. Never know who's going to go, do you? I had my very long hair go through the Ringer washing machine years ago, hit the release button, didn't lose my god and locks dreaded washing day in those days. Regards Evon Marcus, My most dangerous aplant has been my dishwasher. The handle hadn't worked right, and as it had happened before, I thought I will fix it again with a twisty tie. So I got my trusty screw driver out my weab plastic stool and start taking the inside door panel off. That done, then went to a temp to fix it. The next thing I know, I was throwing off the stool right to the back door, my trusty screwdriver totally welded to the motherboard, and me wondering what the hell had struck me. There's more to this and I'll bring that to you. Back to the dishwasher story a little I realized I hadn't turned the switch off or pulled the play out as it was in the cupboard. I jokeally rang my insurance to us, do you pay out on stupidity? Got another shock set when they say yes that we do It's really taught me though. If I don't take more care being missus I can fix anything, I may not be here to tell the next story. Great show. Cheers, Joy, I'll jump for Joy. Marcus is right about brists getting caught in the ringer. I've heard about it many times back in the day. Marcus, you're thinking of Margaret Crookshank as the first female doctor. She was from y Metty memorable memorial statue in Seddin Square. Thank you for that two years. It's not someone we celebrate much. The first female doctor Cokeochew number five one hundred and four years old today and if anyone has an original bottle of she at number five, it's worth a bit of bunnet bit of money to collect us of perfume and tomorrow. Sir David Atton returns ninety nine. Would you go into the movie here to see his latest Nature docco When I was pregnant on a hot day of Manau to burn my big belly with the edge of the iron. That's the thirty nine year old memory. Vacuums are bad for your back. Radio is dangerous with sleep deprivation. Cindy hand one blender eager to taste your bliss ball. Next, next minute, your sixty year old daughter's fingers blood and the mix and chips of bone for the bonus ingredient. Wow ooh, so the sixty year old must have put her finger in when she's making it blew up the microwave. It reminds me of when I lived in Cororia. I was cheating with my mate and put a little paper bag of rubbish in the wood burner. When boom, my mate got such a fun I didn't realize he was an ever ready battery in the bag. Funny. Oh, good evening, Louise. It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 24: Oh hi Marcus. Yeah, dangerous appliances. I think the oven is the most dangerous for the way. It's just because I would bear myself when I cock in the oven. I didn't today.
Speaker 3: But well, i'll tell you what can I just Louise, a dangerous thing about the oven? Right, if you've got an oven mat, it normally only good for you need those two You need two of them. Yeah, yeah, because I'm always using a tea towel. It's never thick enough. And then yeah that's not good.
Speaker 24: Oh well, my hands are deformed from rheumatoids, so I can't fasten too an oven glove, so I have to sort of hold it, which isn't the best. But anyway, something happened today that I cannot explain, and I don't lie and I don't exaggerate.
Speaker 25: Now this morning, I.
Speaker 24: Put my porridge on. So I have a gas top hob and another elector oven. So I cropped my porridge, turned off the ring, turned off the range food, then about the business. And it was a smell, a smell like something animal, something cooking. Couldn't figure out. And then I've seen them played. I look and the oven was on the actual oven, and I hadn't used the oven. I haven't used it in a few days. So I don't understand because you have to turn the knobs to nobs to get it going, one for the temperature and one for you know, theirmal wave or whatever. And I can't till I still can't explained what happened. It's turned itself on. I mean, I'm the only human in the house.
Speaker 3: You think it was someone living in the past.
Speaker 24: No, no, no, I just i't my guarding lady here at the time.
Speaker 16: I believe this.
Speaker 3: The guarding woman has it snuck in.
Speaker 9: No, no, there was no woman in the kitchen hit me and.
Speaker 17: You know I yeah, I just don't know.
Speaker 24: I don't know what happens.
Speaker 3: Maybe someone have some suggestions, Louise, thank you for that. By the way, someone said that microwave song it's dire straits. You're quite right. Dia straits are like you can't stand the song. I mean, diastraates have got some nice songs. That one's jarring. It's awful. Mircaus, I put too much coffee a plunge. You once poured the boiling water and pushed the plunge down quite hard. The glass of the plunger shed it. They end up with boiling water all over me. Was really painful. I also sliced the skin off my finger and using a mandolin to dice onions that was revolting. I slive a big scar bled for hours. Gilly I fell over the vacuum cleaner pipe, did a face plutter and he knocked myself out. Funny way about kitchen radio and the mo Yeah, I won't read that anyway. Coming up, pumpkin, that is risky. Where's the chainsaw? Marcus away in our motor home turned the gas on next butt, I could smell something burning. It was our oven glove. Don't store them there anymore, chairs, Ay, Jude, Thank you Jude. For some reason, the ringing washing machine was a notable cause. But electrocuitians in the eighties and nineties, with about one or two cases report each year, probably had to do with that households having no proper drain. Walter, Oh, Walter's in Tonga. Thanks Walter. How's you go? Is your guy at the Vatican?
Speaker 2: Walter?
Speaker 3: I've read about that too, somewhere you might have told me. Actually, Mackett's Marcus.
Speaker 33: Good evening, Yes, good evening, Marcus. I wed a story about a pair of scissors.
Speaker 6: Now, this is.
Speaker 33: When I was about eight or ten years old, and younger sister was having a birthday, and there was a lot of balloons blowing up around the place, and being a bit of a smart alec, thought I'd give her a bit of a fright. So I grabbed a kitchen scissors, and I opened the bride up to the like a cross, and I in my left hand I had the balloon, and I stabbed the balloon just behind the back to give her a big fight, and the scissors went the sharp piece that was one piece sticking it out, went through the outside of the balloon with a big bang, through the inside of the other side of the balloon, straight through the palm of my hand, and out the other side there of the the top of my hand. So there was a big bang, and then a child was with a horrendous scream and blood everywhere. So I never did that again.
Speaker 3: Was it hard to extract the scissor from your hand?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 33: I pulled him out.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want it straight away, otherwise you'd be yeah, okay, wow? And was that stitches?
Speaker 17: Was that?
Speaker 3: How old were you?
Speaker 33: I was about eight or ten, and that's that's seventy five years ago. I made just coming up eighty four now, and I still got that start right my hand.
Speaker 3: It went right through your hand.
Speaker 33: Yeah, through the hand and out the other side between the sort of bones in the palm of my hand.
Speaker 3: Oh hell, So how how old did that? How old? Did that?
Speaker 16: Take?
Speaker 3: The hell mat.
Speaker 18: A while?
Speaker 33: But well it wasn't too bad really. I just carried on his life here. But we live way out in the country of farm and you know, didn't go into the doctor anything from now strives. So there was a waste of time. Well, they clean you up with oh so bit of deettle and that's something in those days.
Speaker 3: Out of interest met Where were you an hour away from town? Uh?
Speaker 33: Out of one and you.
Speaker 3: Tiger country?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: You didn't need you didn't need stitches. You didn't get stitches.
Speaker 33: I didn't do home stitches, no, because it was a fairly sharp you piece of the sisters. So it just punched a big hole through the palm of the hand and then back out the other pop them man, the other side get healed up.
Speaker 3: And this was at a party, was it that's ruined the party?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 33: Yeah, yeah, so it was my sister's birthday party, which funnily enough, was just coming up again next week.
Speaker 3: You should redo the trick.
Speaker 33: Yeah, I wouldn't do well, I wouldn't do that trick again.
Speaker 3: Good on you man, I'll see chat with your jokes. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I'm a bit nervous of cheap multiplugs that goes when you plug them in. There are some fairly interesting articles around about the E day. Well, I'm pretty sure it's today, although it's confusing with the Northern hemisphere. On a different timescale, and I'll just take a bit of time to acknowledge that and read you a bit of what I was reading today about that. I'm just going to bring the article up, guys. That'll take a while. Twenty seven twenty three years in it ahead of Australia by four. That's basketball. I don't like the expression tall blacks. I don't like any of that black stuff. All blacks is fine. The rest of it's sort of overdone. That's just opinion. You don't have to agree with me. So this is the article. Funny enough, it's in the Daily Mail, but it's captured things quite well. After about six years of living in mortal fear. The people hardly dare to believe it. It was May nineteen forty five, and for weeks they've been promised that the war was about to end. But what if the news from Germany was promising Allied forces storming across the Rhine, Berlin about to fall to the Russians. Then Hitler dead as self ministered bullet in his evil brain. But what if the Nazis had one last malign trick up their sleeves, a suicide onslaught on London. More doodle bugs th and V to rockets a blitz to rival any of the murderous air raids that had gone before. Molly Pedderdown's brilliant chronicler of the Second World War, in a series of letters from London for The New Yorker, noted this reluctance on the faces of a weary population. It's difficult for them to forget that they could be under some sort of fire right up to the last minute, she wrote, which was why when the official order went out that dimmed lights could be turned up again and window blackouts taken down, the days of crotchy air raid wardens shouting put that light out gone forever. Surprisingly few people complied, leaving London as murky as ever. The end had been on the cards for a while, but it was only at seven forty pm on Monday May seven that the BBC had interrupted a piano recital on the radio to a officially announced that the war was over and that tomorrow, Tuesday, May eight, would be v Day. Even on the day that victory was to be declared, some had last minute fresh on of fair and early morning thunderstorm rocked the capital, so loud and intense that London has woken from sleep, instinctively reached out for the bedside torch and consider heading for the shelter, before realizing it was nature, not Nazis disturbing the rest. They were safe, They really were. The party book would begin could begin. Suddenly. There were flags everywhere. Selfridge has been doing a roaring trade with its twenty five shilling union jacks and streamers priced at shevn seven shillings at Woolworth's special commementer of v Day Hairslide was a shilling that's you get your hands on one. Supplies were running out in queues, the wartime curse forming, and not just for bunting, but for bread, meat, fish, even alcohol to toast the victory. The war was over, but rationally most certainly was not. How's wives stood in line with their coupons, carrying the usual string shopping bag in one hand and a red, right and blue flag in the other. But for one day at least, all that could go hang as throughout the country, a relief population sang and danced, reveling in the long awaited peace. In central London, the streets filled with people determined to celebrate on what was a perfect England. Some English summer day of sunshine and blue sky, as if fulfilling Virulin's poignant and now prophetic wartime promise that we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet again some sunny day. So there we go, and it's the seventh today. Obviously, Marcus. The pressure cooker has moved on big time since the aluminium ones. They are now fully electronic controlled and most can double as a slow cooker in steam operation and cooker chicken plus forty five minutes. Same for corned beef croc pop Make one. China makes them by the millions after the cook time has finished. Have a keep warm function from Jack the Mainlander. As a kid, I used it, Marcus, can you see if you can find out way? Hillary Barry is not on seven sharp lately. It's probably on holiday. Marcus is a kid. I used an oven tray as a dinky rap to do jumps. I climbed my wardrobe one night, then landed side onto the oven tray. I had to go to hospital for modile stitches. I learned as a kid oven trays were not good improvisation for playing with Marcus in the kitchen. We used to bacon, slice the catcumra chips with the machine turn off. The other chef would do it with it turned on, thinking he was smart one day with Alexant invoving part of his finger. Does make sense that google sideline vating toasters nineteen fifty Some could eat bread with the side open, highly dangerous. Don't need to google them. We had them. I think they're a better toaster. You're more in control. Come on here to the end. You might want to talk about victory in Europe Day also, which is today, eighty years ago. They are celebrating that. I guess it is something you would celebrate. The streets rang with endless song and prompture and prompture edition to roll out the barrel, knees up mother brown, and conga lines formed. Nothing says celebration like a conga line. Do good evening came? It's Marcus, welcome, good, Hey, how are good? Can what's happening with you?
Speaker 27: Well?
Speaker 25: I was on my way to a football and I heard you guys talking about dangerous appliance on the way where h oh ages ago.
Speaker 2: It was many.
Speaker 25: I didn't think you'd get so much mileage out of this.
Speaker 3: Ah, are you talking about three hours ago, I thought, who's going to the football this time of night?
Speaker 25: Oh no, it's a bit of training. Went to some training and then yeah, the training, did all sorts of things, and then when a lot about it, sorry and yeah, and then hop back in my car and then guys are still talking about and it's like, oh, wow, you got some good mileage out of that.
Speaker 3: I think you learned in this business. If it's going strong, a stick with it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, you might as well.
Speaker 25: I just wondered. I thought it might have a slightly different angle on it as a little, a little what do you call it appetizer? I know it's not an appliance, but has anyone approached the angle of not so much the appliance but human interaction with it? So I know it's not an appliance, but probably one of the most dangerous things is the step.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, step or the rug?
Speaker 32: Yep.
Speaker 3: I would say, so you.
Speaker 25: Trip over a rug, you know, the step, But that's got age connotations. But the first thing I thought when I heard you say it was the frying pan, because because people misuse it, you know, alcohol is involved.
Speaker 3: You mean to fry, don't drink and fry. That was always the campaign for a while.
Speaker 25: Yeah, but then there's also different ways of looking at it, Like you've got I heard the guy call in about deliberately sticking things into the bar heater to get it to get through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he'd be hard to parent.
Speaker 25: Classic and still yeah into the three all of whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but who do you play football for cam.
Speaker 25: At the moment, I'm sort of bouncing around between clubs getting old year.
Speaker 3: But you still practice. You've practiced tonight, have you?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 25: No, I'm injured at the moment.
Speaker 3: You said you're after practice Earlier.
Speaker 25: I did go to practice but just got a bit of physio and.
Speaker 3: Then uh yeah, okay, you said quite low energy for a footballer, but good on you. Heather. Hi, Hi, Heather.
Speaker 34: I was just sitting down in the lounge and I heard just speaks boom. I thought, gosh, something's exploded somewhere in the house, probably an hour ago. And I walked down and my shower door had exploded.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I've heard of this.
Speaker 32: It was.
Speaker 34: It was horrendous. I got something driven into the side of my house and I walked down there and I thought, oh god, it was like it was in a gazillion little bit.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't know why that happens, but I've heard of it. Are they done under tension or something?
Speaker 34: Well, it was the actual door and I something's just making another noise there, and I rang up my sister and she said, apparently it's quite common.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think so too, but man, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 34: It made a bloody mess. And because you got to scrape it all up and these even though it's safety glasses, it's still a few splinters there. And of course my four old cat didn't know what had happened, and she tried to get out of the house and I had to try and help there. And because the glass came out of the bathroom down the hall, and so it's taken it's taken over an hour, a couple of hours actually to clean it all up.
Speaker 2: And get it.
Speaker 3: So heither what part of the country are you in Auckland, Because it's not like some people say that an extreme temperature change can cause something like that, but that wouldn't have happened with it.
Speaker 34: No, No, I just like I was actually thinking of having a shower about eight o'clock and and I thought because it had happened to my sister and her house years ago, or that was up north and long array, but it was it was pretty damn loud.
Speaker 3: And and nothing's happened at recently. Hasn't it a chip or anything that could have led to an explosion?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 34: Absolutely, I have a shower and I squeeze it down.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the real blessing is that you weren't in it, because that could have been quite dangerous.
Speaker 34: Yeah, well, it all it went, It blew out, so nothing's there. Might be just a little scrape somewhere, but on the whole it's you know, I can't Tomorrow morning, I'll probably when it's sunlight, I'll probably see something. But at the moment, it was all right.
Speaker 9: It gave me quite a quite That sounds.
Speaker 3: Really, that sounds really frightening. That sounds really frightening because it must be a loud smash. Then the tinking of.
Speaker 27: All the glass, Well, no, it was just a boom.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 34: It was like a gas bottle exploding. Not that I've heard a gas bottle explode, but I've heard them on TV.
Speaker 3: And the weird thing is it's totally spontaneous. You would nowhere near there were you it just bang. It just decided to go.
Speaker 34: I was just sitting here watching TV and I thought I had I thought it was a picture frame falling off and breaking, but then I thought it's.
Speaker 5: A bit louder than that.
Speaker 10: So no, it's.
Speaker 34: Luckily I've got this little thing that goes on my vacuum that it can suck up the stuff into a container instead of going into your bag.
Speaker 3: It's a good point. He Look, we'll see, we'll see if anyone else has got any You'll get there. You'll get the insurance. You get it fixed pretty soon.
Speaker 2: Will you.
Speaker 34: I'll just go get a new door. I mean, I won't worry about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, well someone has some reasons. I have heard it happened quite often too. But yeah, I'm very pleased to were injured. But thanks for that.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: They're nice to hear from you. Good evening, and it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marcus, you one thing somebody to bring up with the UK. Yes, I remember it came. The announcement was early evening because I was in my my I was years old. I was in my night and I remember dancing down the lane in the celebration. Anybody came out and you know, yeah, it was all very happy occasion and.
Speaker 3: You were you in London?
Speaker 5: No, No, I was in a place in Lodlow in Shropshire, And yes.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 5: I said, I was seven years old, and I'm sure I couldn't understand when there's celebrations in the UK. On the fourth I thought it was it out, yeah, because I thought it was the eighth because it's my birthday tomorrow, and I thought, well, it was the celebration, the celebration for my birthday. When you know, everybody started cheering amound.
Speaker 16: Have you know as a seven year old, did you manage to have a party?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had were Yeah, we had the other Yeah what we did? We had the street party the next day.
Speaker 3: Yes, and your birthday was celebrated world.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, but then we would it was heavy rationing in those days, so we still had a party in the Yes.
Speaker 3: Because they said it was that article, I just I don't know if you heard me read the article before, but it did say that they had interrupted a classical performance of music on the BBC to announce that the war had finished. Because I think people were skeptical as to whether there was going to be some last rah from the Germans, some last bomblitz on London or something. But yeah, that seems to be it, it said. At seven on Monday, the BBC interrupted piano recital on the radio to officially announce that the war was over and that tomorrow, Tuesday, May eighth, would be v e Day.
Speaker 5: Yes, that would be about it. Yes, yes, also said I was in by night, you were getting ready to go to bed?
Speaker 26: Yes, right, yes?
Speaker 3: And were they they were still grim years afterwards, with much rationing and stuff, weren't they?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: Hell, yes, oh yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Are you doing anything special for your birthday tomorrow?
Speaker 5: I'm I'm flying up to my son in Blenham, to my own spending the weekend to put its mother's dand birthday as well.
Speaker 3: So I've been beyond to that one combined. Well, you have a good birthday and a happy birthday to your mother's day? What's that about.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.