Speaker 1: Live from the Export Beer Garden studio and brought to you by the only beer I wish they did sell in Indonesia, Export Ultra. This is the Agenda Podcast for Tuesday, the eleventh of June.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of sporting, nonsense and clap trap, brought to you by Export a Vulture.
Speaker 3: Morning, Late good A and I anyone would think you've been to Bali?
Speaker 1: What gives it away?
Speaker 3: And to know it's the Bintang T shirt? It's the genuine Italian maid Are they Versaci Prada Prada glasses?
Speaker 1: Prada glasses there, I've got a great deal on this show. How much did you pay for those genuine pratas? Two hundred thousand repair? Where's your tattoo? No, it's funny you say that. So I've just gotten back from Bali and you know it has changed me. But it's funny you mentioned the tattoos, because there are tattoo parlors everywhere. Yeah, absolutely everywhere. The funniest sign that I ever saw for one of them, it was hair written on a piece of cardboard that I think was from a box of beer, and it was just taped to a wall and it said three tattoos thirty dollars one needle, and I don't know why they had to specify that they were only going to use one needle.
Speaker 3: I think that's the cost saving. That's why it's only thirty Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I just love the idea of them being like, look, we can either do one tattoo on three different people or three tattoos on one person, however you want to play it. What I'm telling you is we're only going to use one needle, So do what you want with that information. The only sure I have with the one authentic two hundred thousand dollars pratas they fog up in every every single they don't look environment.
Speaker 3: They look like potentially if it was any sun, your eyeballs would be burning.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all. You wouldn't able to see anything because they'd frost up on both sides. Just quick recap on my trip to Bali, very very but hoole focused the Indonesian trip or just you well, I mean in a way, as soon as I got there, there was we got a massage and the woman was fearless.
Speaker 3: Did sheat I've been in this situation? Did they go up the inside flying thigh and fleck up. No, I didn't have that. Chris Key, I was with him. He did have that, and his misuse was a bloke. So that was full noise. No mid one, she puts the blanket over your back. Then when she goes to rub your back, she pulled the blanket down, tucked it into my undies and pulled my undies down.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I was like, oh boy, and then she was just right in there. I was like, God, bless you. You know, getting paid nearly enough for this. That very night, there was a massive noise outside of our villa. What had happened was the pool drained itself and then by mistake, and then the jets turned on, so they're just blasting water into an empty pool. It was loud as hell. How did you?
Speaker 3: How did who pulled the plug out on the pool?
Speaker 1: Don't know to this day, don't know, but it scared the pass out of me. So I get up to investigate. Didn't realize that my bed was actually on a platform. So I just went flying across the room, ripped the curtain off the rail, and somehow I hit the lights in one fell swoop. So my missus wakes up to the lights blasting on me, screaming, flat on my back on the floor, shangled and jangled the curtain, the curtains off the rail, just like, what the fuck is happening. I was like, sorry, I fell over, so that bruised my ass. And there's day one. This is day one. Yeah, and as you know, the scooters everywhere. So for the rest of the thing, I still have a giant bruise on my left butt cheek. For the rest of the trip, there was Yeah. I was just getting my ass powdered by these scooters. We go to a beach club. One of the people that were at the beach club with who were posing for a photo they was this dude was standing behind me and he was suffering from a bit of shrinkage to the point where it felt like I had a gun in my back while we were posing. It was so awkward. And this is all within the first forty eight hours of me being in Balley, And I was like, if the rest of this as buttle focused as the first forty eight hours, then we're in for a rough one.
Speaker 3: Are you You haven't come back with the BALLEI rash.
Speaker 1: Oh, well no, no I haven't.
Speaker 3: Whether which is people falling off scooters and just coming back with it, just road rash all over them.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. We did rent scooters though, and that was a real relationship strengthening exercise for me and my partner. Did you get two or did you just get one? We got we just got one, so you shared it. That's that's the issue. Yeah, So she's on the back of mine. She didn't want to drive once, so I was like right out, hop on the back of mine. We got stuck in rush our traffic, which by the way, rush hour is from when the sun comes up to when it goes down. Traffic is a disaster. It is a disaster. We didn't crash it, but we did get to a point where she jumped off and threw the helmet at me and said, I'm getting a car right now. Helm. It is a a big move. Yeah, I was like fair enough. Sporting highlight of the week we watched State of Origin at a bar and Luatu with a bunch of Australians there and it was a It was a great time, great event, aside from the fact that the game was over within the first sort of ten to fifteen minutes, but it was good to just be around a bunch of ozsies watching State of Origin, don't you thingers didn't miss out on much here.
Speaker 3: Nothing much happened here last few days, So I think we can just get straight into Well.
Speaker 1: That's funny say it because I was watching from Afar. There was a live stream on one of the days and I don't know what that was. It was of you sitting in that seat that you're in right now. Comfy. Yeah, it looked very comfortable at the time because you were just asleep and I was watching that from a bar in Balu. Just the fuck's going on? What have it?
Speaker 3: It's just a one day His classic kind of acc traditions is turning what was a victory into a massive loss. So I mean, this is where where I'm an award for this podcast, New Zealand's best sports podcast.
Speaker 1: Partied way too hard.
Speaker 3: I passed out in the studio, got in a lot of trouble at home, then just summon enough energy to do a podcast with poor Carl from the Tab, who I still haven't apologized to because it was the worst sports book broadcast ever, and then rolled into an agenda podcast that both Met Heath and I can't remember recording, and then and then and then passing out in this and then you know, you like to have good friends around you to rally around you, and you know, look after in the state. Then turn the cameras on me and video and live stream me sleeping in this chair for the power.
Speaker 1: Well that's the dangers of falling asleep in a seat with a camera trained on us. Yeah, this is true.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I made so many bad decisions in that twenty four hours that I spent the next three or four days paying for it.
Speaker 1: But hey, I'm at the back of it now and hearing.
Speaker 3: Your first couple of days and Barley's made me feel a lot better.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, Las Siels was in this downstairs focus. Does that have someone to do with why the pillows are all screwed up on the ski? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean the couch was used a lot. I mean Ruder, the producer of the Met and Jury show. He was on there before me and I said, get off. He'd never liked it.
Speaker 1: He actually slept in here the week before, Yes.
Speaker 3: He did for the Met and Jerry Live podcast.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and he made a point of it. Came over to me and explained that he had not relieved himself, relieved himself anywhere in the studio while he slipped.
Speaker 3: Here, which raises some suspicions that he may have, but I didn't think you had.
Speaker 1: That's dangerous. Also with the cameras in here, Yeah, very dangerous unless that's your thing. Maybe that's what Maybe that's what did it. But while I was gone, the Cricket World Cup kicking off, and I didn't really see anything aside from that Corey Anderson beat Pakistan.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, he didn't play. He didn't do much in that game. Actually he didn't even I don't think he even bettered. No, but obviously you've just come straight back from balley Man from Mars hasn't seen much.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen anything. I saw State of Origin and that was it. It's an absolute.
Speaker 3: Shit show really because the games are in like some of them are in Guyana, which is pretty much South America, some are in West Indies, summer in Texas.
Speaker 1: Some are in New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's all wildly different. The pitch in New York is an absolute shitter. The stadium looks great, yeah baseball, No, it's a pop up saying the build it from scratch, like it's all scaffolding cave creaky type situation. Yeah, but I mean India defended one seventeen or one nineteen or whatever against Pakistan. The pictures a bit dodgy there, pittures in Guyana as slow and turns didn't help that. New Zealand turned up and absolutely shat the bet against Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got absolutely outplayed.
Speaker 3: In every fest of the game and now are playing for the tournament against West Indy's the hosts on Thursday at Brian Lara Academy Stadium.
Speaker 1: And but Pakistani potentially out.
Speaker 3: We're potentially out USA potentially through Afghanistani, PA potentially through but the same old constant, the best team in the competition by a long long way as Australia.
Speaker 1: That's annoying. But it is such a bizarre sort of set up, Like you said, teams all over the shop in terms of you might be playing, you must have a game in New Zealand. Yeah, I hate that for sporting events because the whole point of a World Cup is it's in one place.
Speaker 3: Well, FIFA is doing something similar in the next few years. They're doing it in I think three countries.
Speaker 1: Yes, for World Cup. Yeah, I saw that well. We've been saying this for ages. The fight island idea where we just have one sporting complex all sports events and each year you rotate through whatever it is. So this year, yeah, it's all in Qatar. This year it'll be the Olympics. Next year it's the FIFA World Cup, the year after it's whatever, and it's all played in the same spot. It's just one single place that you can go to and watch it all. It makes no sense. It also really annoys me that I was like looking forward to a bit of a cricket World Cup and we get home, We get home and already we're playing for our lives in game two. I feel like we've waited so long for this World Cup to come around and didn't. We didn't play for the first like two weeks. No, we didn't do a warm up either, didn't do any warm ups, haven't done basically anything. Now all of a sudden, it could be over on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twelve thirty Thursday midday, twelve thirty mid day, not twelve thirty midnight. So great thing to watch long at work on Skysport nine because we're covering that one.
Speaker 1: Yep. But that's pretty much a summary.
Speaker 3: So Ifrica just held off Bangladesh overnight, needed a six off the last ball. They lost two weekends in the last over, so they shot themselves in the foot. Yeah, and needed six off the last ball. Couldn't do it, so Safka sqeaks through. There is there something weird going on at this World Cup? Or is this just a T twenty World Cup where T twenty's got so much variance that anyone could win any game.
Speaker 1: I think there's a.
Speaker 3: Few key things, like spinner's playing a massive part. Think I've seen most games I've watched, they've opened with a spinner.
Speaker 1: Right spinners are good.
Speaker 3: The West Indies have got this great left armor who basically bowls this in swinger. The he turns it away, turns it away, and then he bowls a quick in swinger and he's getting so many wickets, but a.
Speaker 1: Genuine it's not drift, it's a genuine yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, And you got Rashid Khan for Afghanistan who just owned us, absolutely owned us.
Speaker 1: He's there one mean bowler. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then they've got the left armor who mimics Trent Bolt. He got four wickets against us. He Trent bolted us. He's about maybe ten centimeters shorter than Trent Bolt, but his action is modeled on Trent.
Speaker 1: Bolt mouth size speaks.
Speaker 3: And apart from that, it's only the action. And they did a split screen in the game against and it was like very similar.
Speaker 1: He out Tromp bolted trampone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he did, and he got four wickets. Rush you can't got four wickets. It was every team's got like a quite a mean strike spin bowler. Zampas playing well for Australia and we've got Satner, which you know, look, I love Satna.
Speaker 1: I said for the longest time. Not a spin bowler. He's an all arounder. He's an all rounder. He is a great bowler. But it doesn't he's not a prolific turner of the ball.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of pressure on him and Bracewell and I don't that's that's I think that's unfair. Yeah, Lackie Ferguson he bowled well. He really put the brakes on Afghanistan. But just where we dropped catches, we misfielding, there was overthrows. It was a real tough watch and that's why we had to reform the Black Cap Supporter support group and we sold ad T shirts and people were getting people were getting around each other, people were booking scout hauls and you know, we may have we've all penciled them in for Friday. Yeah, because we've got West Indies at home. Yeah we've got it. Oh of course.
Speaker 1: So we've got a standing reservation at the Silver Band Hall and every town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, So you know, book the halls Friday, tune in and like if you're gonna, if you're gonna watch along and share the pain.
Speaker 1: And there's no better commentary team to do it within us.
Speaker 3: So Skysport nine on Thursday twelve thirty, What what.
Speaker 1: Do we do with that money? Because that's blood money, the money that we make, we do.
Speaker 3: We basically reinvested in buying the more stupid shit like the three hundred hip flasks we've got, oh yes, of course, which in hindsight we should have activated at the New Zealand Radio and Podcast Awards because during the ceremony they have it in a theater and alcohol's band, you like, they don't serve drinks before we should have stood outside the front and handed out acc hip flask who would have been the biggest heroes.
Speaker 1: So maybe next year. Hindsight, Eh, yeah, hindsight from the from the sounds of things, no one was thinking straight. No, okay, good, thank you. You got me back at okay speed with the Cricket World Cup. Let's take quick break. We'll come back with some more sport. The National Basketball Association finally into your favorite part of the season then, and it actually it gets your will, so you usually only churn into the finals, but against your will. This season, it seems that your kids have been keeping you up to date. Yeah, I've been involved early. Yeah, and it has. I've noticed my sisters and she's eleven about turn twelve. She loves the NBA as well. They've done a great job of wrestling the kids attention.
Speaker 3: Well, they've done. I've mentioned it before. It's a pretty simple formula. They basically haven't restricted the use of footage on any social media platform, so anyone can grab footage and put their own little highlight three altogether on TikTok, YouTube, on shorts or whatever reels and they just go for it. And so the whole time they're scrolling through NBA content. Yeah, he knows, he knows.
Speaker 1: I reckon. You know as many players as you do in the NBA. My twelve year old, Yeah he was. He's playing the PlayStation game as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's commentating when we're watching highlights.
Speaker 2: He goes, go rude.
Speaker 1: They've done a great job.
Speaker 3: They've like, you know what, whoever wants to consume this content can consume it.
Speaker 1: We're not going to be anal about it.
Speaker 3: You look at some other uh you know sports are so anal about their protective of their content that they restrict it, whereas the NBA are like, nah, man, fucking fail your boots.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so the result of that is what they have now is these massive fan bases who don't even watch games. No, and these people I probably put myself in this category where I consume more NBA content that's adjacent to the games than I actually watch minutes of game time.
Speaker 3: I can hand on heart say my twelve years of assessment has not watched an entire game of NBA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Because I've tried to say, do you want to watch the the MAVs game, He's like, well to do that, I was just.
Speaker 1: Going to watch the highlightsighlights afterwards. Yeah, And it does it changes the way that they think of these players because all the see his highlights. Yeah, like, oh he's like this. Then you watch games like yeah, he just does that once every three games. Quite funny. This is beside the point, but a kind of relative.
Speaker 3: Luka Doncicic he thinks that Luka Doncic is the person from the Burns Co, which is a marine.
Speaker 1: Store in New Zealand.
Speaker 3: And there's a guy on the side of burns Cow if you go to Albany who's got a life jacket on and holding a water ski.
Speaker 1: And he one hundred percent sweath.
Speaker 3: He reckons it's Luka Doncic And I was like, it's not Luca donic it is Luca Donic. I was like, this is a marine supply store in Albany, New Zealander. They have not got Luca don Chiz to put a life jacket on. I'll take a photo of it next time we go parties that I've seen it through. But if you are going turning off to Albany to go to Albany more on the left hand side, have a look at the side of Burns Co. And then the dude there that my son is obsessed with that he thinks, says luk at don Chic and how did they get luc ad don Chic to pose?
Speaker 1: How did they get him to agree to it? It's funny to say that. I don't know if you've heard. Both got back from Bali and there was a there's signs everywhere for this, like pedals big over there, like pickleballs. Oh yeah yeah, And one franchise of pedal court uses Cristiano Ronaldo as the image and they've like crudely bunshot the racket into his head and it's like he doesn't know that's there. Yeah, what what's he gonna do about it? First of all, all like, is he's just that call that people have? Oh, work it? So I'll go there because surely you throw Confederer or Jocovich or Paul Cole. I don't know someone that's like racket sport ad Jason. I thought that was hilarious. But anyway, so we here's where we're out at the moment. Game two was yesterday. Celtics won that one. So they've won the first two games at home, and how the series works is the next two games will be on the road Dallas, Dallas. Then it goes one one one after that. So they usually say that a series doesn't start till a home team loses, so you know, people people riding off the MAVs already just relaxed a little bit. But I think the star that's sort of come out of nowhere has been Kristaps Porzingis because I think the average or casual fan wouldn't have wouldn't know who he was until that game won, because he'd been injured for most of the playoffs. Now, all of a sudden he comes back. He's seven foot four and he can shoot. Yeah, and for the for the longest time, they'll say, no, this guy is going to be basically like what Victor wembin Yama is like now at the moment. But he's just so injured all the time. Not yeah, primarily due to the fact he's seven foot four.
Speaker 3: With the games two games back in Dallas. Yes, what I want to see I want to see vat Coley courtside, of course, because they're playing games there is Indi Area just played Pakistan in Dallas over the weekend. Yeah, so how could I'd love to I want to see jesspit Boomra and Rat Coley courtside looking dangerously confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, dressed like absolute superstars and.
Speaker 3: Dressed like superstars but also potentially the shortest men in the whole arena, and they'd.
Speaker 1: Put them on the TV screen and everyone who yeah, Bollywood actor is he?
Speaker 3: But they probably got got bigger followers than most of the NBA players put together.
Speaker 1: That is a funny one about cricket is that those guys are enormous, Like Coley is just probably one of the most famous athletes in the world by population easily, Yeah, but most people don't actually know who is the are the country music stars of the sporting world. Yeah, like they are enormous, but you've never heard of them. Yeah, so yeah, we'll be good to see him sideline there. The Warriors, all the headlines for the like last two three weeks have been since somebody Martin started playing real well, everyone's been like, oh, the Warriors have got a massive headache now because Seawn Johnson is going to be fit next week and what is Andrew Whibs to do. Here's a hot tip, puts Sean Johnson back in the fucking Warriors. I care, Like, don't overthink it totally.
Speaker 3: You got a guy just about one the delim You should have should have won the daim just because he's been weighing Likewaye Man's done a great.
Speaker 1: Job, excellent, excellent job, great work for my super coach team. But yeah, you're right, but he's not Sean Johnson. And the other thing is he's still going to be on the field. And Seawan Johnson, it's not like he hasn't been watching these games. He's been sidelined and he's looking at this guy wicked. Well when I come back, keep that same energy to Mighty and give me a bit of a break while we're playing.
Speaker 3: Totally, it's just going to open up more space because he's more options. It's only it can only possibly be a good thing. The only thing that I would say is, potentially do they swap positions to where Tomighty Martin just keeps that seven jersey and Seawan Johnson plays a bit more of a running game off the back of him, and then it takes a little bit off his plate.
Speaker 1: It's not all on Seawan Johnson. I think that could be the only difference. I don't think the jersey numbers will swap, but potentially the roles could change a little bit. But again, these are not a problem for the Warriors. All of the headlines are trying to be like Webster's selection headaches.
Speaker 3: How good looking at our halves though, oh devastated, a couple of dream boats devastating.
Speaker 1: We've got one of the better looking teams in the camp. The Broncos are probably the only better looking team than us.
Speaker 3: That's only because you've got Yeah, but all looks different now though, after you got his head taken on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. And I would say Jordan Ricky's probably may even be hot it depending on who you are. They are a good looking team. They may have us done. But you're like, you say, we're up there, We're in the conversation. And I also see that the Hurricanes have had to change their kickoff time for their playoff game this weekend. I think this is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the fact that a few years ago it would have been like fuck it would take him head on, Yeah, fuck rugby league. Yeah, but they finally looked out that, you know, it's not fuck ourselves here. Yeah, I mean, let's be sensible and they're going to kick off at four thirty, which allow everyone to also watch the Warriors as well. So common sense has prevailed, which I think is And whether this's came from sky I reckon yeah, rather yeah, just going come on, guys, this is fucking stupid. If you do that, you are going to cut your face, cut your nose off the spite your face. But for them to actually listen to it and go, yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Know, because you're right, it would be so very rugby of them to be like, no, with the number one sport in this country, it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be watching seven o'clock as the match were seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. They would have come in and be like you think that everyone Wellington is going to watch the bloody Auckland rugby laying. It's like, well, the numbers say that, yes they are.
Speaker 3: It gives me faith, gaves me faith that you know, they recognized the fact that we actually have to coexist.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right. And also it's only going to benefit them because people that probably weren't going to watch that game will now be like, okay, well I'll watch that game first, and it's great for us as sports fans.
Speaker 3: Sports fans, it's like, thank you don't make me choose exactly, because the other thing is it's hard. You won't watch the replay if you know what the score is you never do. You always think that you're will, but you just don't only die. He would watch his replays.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right, but he watches replays of like Queensland Cup games. Harold Matthews. Yeah, it's out of control to the football disc Now, we football massively underrepresented on this podcast, which is, as you mentioned, the greatest sports podcast in the nation. So here we go.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, a AC Milan have done something kinite interesting. They've they brought in like a and this is from Joe Pompeiano does a great business blog around business of sport, is around AC Milan's financial situation and what they're doing with fans and whatever. They're building in a courtside seats like the NBA, so people sit between the players benches, so they've got like these twenty seats that go between the player benches, so you're right in the mixer at the moment, they're invite only, so I think they've just got movie stars or whatever. But then they'll they'll eventually sell them some Saudi shake. Yeah, pretty much. But got a cool idea like bringing the bringing fans right on field so they're basically between the benches the players are running around in front of them.
Speaker 1: Because they make the teams. You know. Jack Nicholson used to sit courtside of the Lakers for years. Yeah, Spike Lee for the New York Knicks.
Speaker 3: So AC Milan, so they've been days. Recently got brought out by American investment fund Redbird cap All for one point two billion. That was in twenty two and they, I mean, they're doing all right Asimlan they kind of what. They reached the Champions League semifinal last year. They finished second in the league this year. But on the business side, the one hundred and twenty eight year old Italian football club is on fire. They have made a record profit this year. They came second in the Serie Day. But their revenue this year was one hundred and five million US. It's the highest in the club's history and the operating incomes eighty one million valuation of one point four billion.
Speaker 1: This is US, by the way, Jesus.
Speaker 3: So quite interesting because they also they also share their stadium with Inter Milan, yet they have yet they make so much more money and have so many Their ticket sales are more. They're doing these sideline seats. Ye, it's it's really interesting, but I mean, I don't know the obviously business model is working and how they do it, but it's owned by this investment company that are full of cliches, but obviously something something's working for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like a silver Oake deal that actually worked. Yeah, pretty much, that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: But you know, and so court side seats bring them in for the rugby imagine sitting in between the benches of rugby putting, like twenty people just on and they're just in seats they get they get to.
Speaker 1: Park with the players as well. So they turn out. You park in the same car parks as players.
Speaker 3: You get a concierge takes you to your seat, and you get a Michelin stad chef brings you out like the entrees and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you just bail that up on the sideline. See that's perfect. Why don't we do a New Zealand version of that where you pull up, you sit on the sideline, We bring your toppers, we bring you export ultras, you just get to sit there and watch the game. Because that would change particularly Eaten Park, but also the cake Tin where you're actually not sitting anywhere near the ground. But if you filled those in and put people there. That that would change everything.
Speaker 3: What you could do at at the Cake Tin and Eating Park, you could practically put a beer festival on between the stand and the sideline and people could just stand around on Lena's watching the game. Because there is so much space between the sideline and the stand that you could actually create something quite cool within.
Speaker 1: That's so if you haven't meant to Eat and park, the Breakers could play on the sideline that it's that bag between the well.
Speaker 3: Even more so at the cake Tin Yeah, cake Tin's even wider. It's ridiculous and that would change everything.
Speaker 1: And I know that the first retort would be, well, but what happens if a player goes crashing into the thing. What happens is we are number one on Sports Center, We go viral. There's the only way you're going to get rugby onto ESPN. As if someone goes careening into a corporate hospitality table.
Speaker 3: Because how many times has someone showing you a photo of some old bitty with their glasses courtside in an NBA game and a ball collatteres into her face and just explodes their glasses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check this out in slow motion? Yeah, totally. That's the best thing ever. So yeah, I'm one hundred percent on board at that tables. I think, like you know, ringside at the boxing, when they sit at the corporate tables, I'd love that. We talked about they used to have that at the breakers. Yeah they did, but they can fit so many more people in as the problem, so they've now changed that to all seating. But the thing is that the rugby is that much ground, so much room you could you could just about put people. Maybe you put them in in the in goal like at the at the ends. It's how good would be to watch the try being scored. That's what the Warriors got. People can just lean on the back fence of the Warriors. That that fanny, Yeah, that is that down that end is excellent. I don't think people realize how close it is. I saw Dolphins.
Speaker 3: I saw great footage of the Dolphins club set up the Oh my god, how good is that.
Speaker 1: The bistro, it's I would rather I just about rather go to that in the Magic ground. Probably not quite, but sitting there and having a chicken snitty watching the footage couple of schooners, it looks so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, there there's that We've solved it again. We've solved it again.
Speaker 1: It never ends. The look. I know, we throw a lot of shit at the wall, but I wouldn't be shocked if we heard someone parroting this stuff back to us and the next few weeks, it's take one more quick break before we wrap this thing up, all right. I just had to say, quick break, have a quick drink of water. The three dollar Diaries would get a hold of me. And you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't look as bad as I thought you were going to look, because you know, normally if you go away, usually you go away to a wedding in wy Mattie and you come back looking like Prince peor Palpatine is.
Speaker 1: There's all sorts going on.
Speaker 3: You've got you've got kind of coloration issues going on, you've got rashes and your throats out, and everything's everything's falling apart. But you've come back from Bali relatively unscathed.
Speaker 1: I think I actually nailed it on the dirry front because you can smoke inside everywhere. We had a taxi driver one day who was like, does anyone smoke in here? And everyone's like, no, no, we don't, And I sort of looked at my missus. How do I answer this? She sugar head does it? No, no, no, because he goes, oh, okay, well just let you know, like, if you want to smoke in this taxi, you can, like you can smoke in here. I'm fine with it. What he was saying was can I smoke? And he did it. But in the end, what I ended up doing was because darries are like, it's a three dollars for pack of douries over there. It's outrageous, it's so cheap. So what I was doing is I'd bum a darry Off whoever was driving us, tour guides whatever, because they're all smoking while we're going. And then I just tipped them three bucks. So that's a whole pack of dories to them, and I just could smoke whenever I wanted to without actually having a full pack of darts on me at any given time. It's the hack. You should have just.
Speaker 3: Brought a whole cart and of darts and just flipped them a pack of darts.
Speaker 1: That would mean, oh yeah, been quite balling. That probably would have been the go. Yeah. I didn't realize that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you had to carry around a whole cart and then you'd probably smash those cat that cart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's yeah, it's actually probably an own goal. America's Cup was back in the news this week because they they put out the forecast of how much money it's set to make Barcelona later on this year. It's about two billion dollars. It's going to create about nineteen thousand jobs over there as well.
Speaker 3: Good for them, now, that's awesome, well done, well done, well done.
Speaker 1: I was like, didn't we win that? Didn't we? Yeah? Should we be host?
Speaker 3: Seeing that?
Speaker 1: And from what I remembered, basically, wasn't it like sailing was trying to hold the government over a barrel and be like, you have to pay for all of this and if you don't, then we're out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they said that like if they if they don't, then they can't afford to go with the program they've currently got and they can't compete with international other international teams with the current budget, so they have to take it overseas to defend it. That is the reason why they're in Barcelona. But it's all about the cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know, to be fair, we did our ass on the last one because that was still on the tail end of COVID. Yes, and so they had forecasts that all these super yachts and billionaires We're going to come in the country and no one came. So I could see why. If you're the government, you look, I just can't. Can I justify this again? But min you so deep.
Speaker 3: We've done it so many times, it's so well when you do it again, your pot committed at this totally. Now you're like, now you've just gone off, just given it all of Uslona, which is a great city, and they'll do a great job and it all look great and we'll probably.
Speaker 1: Lose, and this is the problem. Then it never comes back to New Zealand ever. So I'm like, well, how do we get it back to New Zealand? And I've got a plan. I've got a plan. It's a two phase strategy that I think could benefit not only the America's Cup but also our own League of the Sale GP. Yes, and that is and you may have picked up where I'm hitting with this. We take all of the Hector's dolphins we can find out of the Acro Harbor and we take them over to Barcelona and we release them into the thing bringing America's Cup to its knees and then be like, well, funnily enough, we've just found out we don't have any of the dolphins anymore, so why don't you bring it back here and we have it back down there in christ Church and we wrestle two billion dollars back for our economy.
Speaker 3: I you should have brought this up tomorrow in a halfbak sports idea because I like it.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, when you go to Europe is a different.
Speaker 3: Level of give a fuck over there, and if a dolphin gets in the way of something that potentially looks like fun and people are involved, yeah they'll go and they'll just.
Speaker 1: Run it over. They're just sashimi that motherfuckerly they will want heck the dolphins. Yeah, yeah, that's a good point. They I don't give it, shah, they don't. They don't in terms of your kind of environmentalist clout. Yeah, true, they have a bigger mallet here than they do over in Europe.
Speaker 3: Still there, but they're not going to stop a race that's going to make this city billions and billions of dollars. Well, that would just go as he's the giant salmon that are flying around here, like the size of these salmon.
Speaker 1: But do you want to try some hect this dolphin for dinner tonight because we've actually just carved one in half of the monofoil out in the harbor. I sill just recently of a shipping container pulling into dock with like a right whale on the on the bowl but the front.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just splatted band container ship band container ships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's disgusting. Apparently it's a bit more common than than you'd think. They're sashimi in a marine mammal.
Speaker 3: And that one, that the sashimi one, the landing on the bulb of a container ship is a bit different from a sashimi. It's more a kind of a pan fried situation, isn't it, because it just sits on top of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it is. It's more it's tender, tenderized tender lily. All right, We I understand used to have got through a mountain of yours pleases mainly feedback on the Friday's body, but yeah, across kids. So we've only just got the one today, but it is now time for yours, please, yours.
Speaker 4: Please brought you by leader home. Hey, lad's you want to get more people to the Caketon back in make the Bears cheaper forty three dollars for four beers mate in the pub and not fucking go also at home.
Speaker 1: And I know this is this is a great point that you make here, caller, and it is one that we've talked about at nauseum on this, but I do think it's right to bring it up again. And that's that beers just cost so much at the at the ground, and what they are competing with is staying at home or going to the pub. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I understand that it costs a lot. You've got staff, you know, it's not cheap to actually get people. Now, Yes, I understand all that carry on. But when you're paying that much, yes, for a couple of beers and a hamburger or whatever at a shitty little pizza or something, yes, it is quite hard to justify.
Speaker 1: Yes, And and there's a point of diminishing returns because people aren't going to games, and it's and that is one of the main problems. The other problem is and from all the accounts that I heard from people that went to Magic Ground, which looked, you know, was you know boat the Bogan Olympics, it was Rugby League Nirvana. Millions of people there. Nobody struggled to get a beer, I know. And so it's like, how can even with declining sporting attendance, when you go to a game, you still have to queue up for a beer. How I understand gouging my out for it. You've got a captive audience. Fine, yeah, like take me for all I'm worth, but at least let me get them, because I can't, like, at least give me an opportunity to give you all of my money.
Speaker 3: Well, look at the Masters. We talked about the Masters. They haven't changed their food price for twenty years. Yeah, it's stayed the same, and the sandwiches like two dollars. Yeah, and the beers are still cheap. They've kept it the same because they realize the value of the actual event itself, yes, and making money around the event and the whole Master's brand and the.
Speaker 1: Merchandise they sell and everything like that. Yeah, so they've they've nailed it. Whereas we're like.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's ten thousand people here. How we're still twenty thousand short because of the capacities. How can we make up the vale? Let's just charge them sixteen bucks a beer, make them queue up so we only have to put one person on the till.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll be fine, they'll pay it. They go nowhere else to go, I know. Yeah, it's like, well, yes they do that, here's where they go. They are twenty thousand at home. Yes, we're still watching. We're just at home with the next word ultra, you know, for way less.
Speaker 3: That's why Sky have said their viewership's up by sixteen percent, mainly because of us on Skysport nine, but also the fact that fans are probably like, you know what, fuck, I'll smash them. I'll smash a dozen export oltras at home for the same price. Yeah as two beers. That's right from the ground.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: And it's like it's just so even the hearty fans who are like, yeah I want to go. You look at your window on game day and it's raining sideways. You've got a fridge full of beers and a blanket on the couch, you know what I mean. Like that just tips it so far in favor of just staying at home. And I think they'd look at it the wrong way. Where for the longest time, it's been like everyone goes to the rugby, and that was true for the long stuff. So it's like everyone's going to go to the rugby regardless, so let's guadge your eyes out make our money that way. Well, now it's shifted. People aren't just by default going to watch these games, so it's not a given that they're going to be there, So you don't just have the right to fleece us.
Speaker 3: I reckon the F and B should be a lost leader for the next couple of years. Hundred percent a lost leader if you're losing money.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 3: They there's all sorts of complexities around this. I know this have helped run stadiums around. You sell the catering side of the business to a third party, whether it's a spotless or whoever, so they run the concession. So stadiums in effect don't really have a choice on pricing or anything else. But someone's got to stand out and go, right, I'll subsidize it whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't care. Well they do, because they could just say, look, here's your maximum pricing, you know, yeah, and we'll put it out. But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: There is some politicals. But if it was a lost leader, right, beers are five bucks. For the first half years, burgers are ten bucks.
Speaker 1: That's it. We're calling it a marketing expense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's put it under the marketing whatever or you like we said before you get a free beer with your ticket, you know, and then beers are ten dollars after that.
Speaker 1: You know that subsidizes it down, but who knows.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I know we're solving the world's problems again on this podcast, but that I think if a lost leader on match experience is the way to go, then we have to do it. Yeah, we can't keep going on and just selling games out for the semi in the final.
Speaker 1: Couldn't you subsidize it by all of the because everyone in a corporate box doesn't pay for their PA, but they crush it. Yeah. Yeah, that's because whoever owns the corporate box pays for it. It's not still paid for.
Speaker 3: So yeah, say, GB you've got a corporate box. At the end of that game, they will get a bill for the amount of past that got drunk in.
Speaker 1: The right right right, right, Well well then why couldn't we get someone to come in and be like, right, the export Ultra would do it in a fucking heartbeat. Yeah, and just say okay, whoever's got the catering thing here, you're still going to make your money. We're going to pay you. But the punter, they get a massive discount. Five dollars can five dollar can cool, so you get four to twenty bucks. You're back at your seat. And that in cans, we don't even open them, just not open the opening them thing that annoys me? What does that stop? Well, they reckon you can throw it off. Who's throwing? Beer is too expensive? Who's throwing who's paying fifty bucks for a beer? And then throw at someone it's cheap in to three your shoes and other news on on Export Ultra.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we're lining up our pre games before the England Games, so we've lined up the Postman's League in Auckland, so we're gonna cram and turundred people into the air. We've got live music and got coaches free coaches going from there. We'll let you know details and how you can book that Duneda and we're still looking for a place. You are going down there and going to check out some places. So we've had lots of suggestions around Guardies, which is impossible.
Speaker 1: It's a library lot the.
Speaker 3: Bowler, the Cook, Starters or the Ori. So this week you're going down there and potentially going to line one up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to go and have a look. It's going to be one of the wildest swings and temperatures that the human body's ever gone through. But I will go down there and have a look. It's kind of sad from what I've heard, all of the student bars have been brought up and shut.
Speaker 3: I'm putting my weight behind the Cook. I want the Captain Cook to reopen. I know it's got to sALS in it, but can we just shift them out for a bit?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we could bring them out of there. I have an affinity to Starters Bar. When I was living down there, we live like literally a street over and we could walk through straight into Starters Bar. My flatmates with the bouncers. One of them work behind the bar. One of them was the DJ. So start as bar as a particular affinity. But I know that it got shut down a couple of years ago. But we have the power to assuscitate one of these bars, absolutely, because we'll be there.
Speaker 3: For the weekend of the England All Blacks match.
Speaker 1: It's only a month or yeah, fifth and sixth of July, less than a month. Got our work cut up.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we'll see what we can do. We can do but keep the suggestions coming through and we can't wait. We'll rip Dunedin a new one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we'll knock this one on the head for today. We will be back tomorrow for a Wednesday with another half back sports idea. Send in your voicemails for yours please, we will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the ACC's a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio for them, you'll get your podcasts